Everton Independent Research Data


October 1, 1910. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Once more we are in pleasant anticipation of another memorable battle between the local rivals –Everton and Liverpool. The influence these games have in local enthusiasts is remarkable, and perhaps in no provincial center is rivalry more keen. Cup-tie football cannot outshine the importance of a meeting of Reds and Blues. High or low, strong or feeble as the respective rivals may be, interest is just the same, and, though Everton have since 1894 held the whip hand, Liverpool are encouraged by successes in recent years. Last season they surprised not a few by a wonderful victory at Goodison Park. Now both clubs can claim any brilliant work so far as the campaign has progressed, so form as guide, and it seldom is –is unreliable. The results hang in the balance. Everton are at a disadvantage forward, for although Liverpool's quintette has not risen to the form which marked them dangerous last season, they have yet, displayed a more active desire to find the net. But, whatever, the difference forward it is counter-balanced by the brilliance of the Everton defence. The doubt is –are the Liverpool forwards, capable of penetrating Everton's strong defence, rise superior to the experimental line opposed. It will be interesting to not, the result of Everton's interest experiment forward line, whereby Freeman resumes at centre, and Gourlay retains his place in the team, but partners Berry instead of Turner. A young moving inside left. I fancy a great deal depends on Freeman, who if he touches his old form, will act like a tonic on his fellow forwards. The team is otherwise unchanged.

Monday October 3 1910 Athletic News
Liverpool 0 Everton 2
By Junius
The usual thing happened at Anfield.  Neither mascots, painted a gaudy red, with lucky horseshoes attached thereto, nor any other more tangible endeavor appears capable of changing Everton’s sequence of success on the Liverpool ground.  A glorious day, a perfect pitch, and a large crowd of some 41,000 spectators, were details connected with the twenty-ninth meeting of these local rivals under the auspices of the League.  When it is taken into consideration that these rivals have oppoed each other at Anfield on fourteen occasions prior to the game which I have herewith to detail, and that Everton have not been beaten there since January 21, 1899, it will, I think be granted that there is ample substantiation for my opening statement. 
Young’s Utility
Only seven minutes had elapsed ere Everton were well on the road to their ultimate triump.  Their right wing had proved troublesome straightaway, and it was the result of clever footwork by Gourlay and Berry that enabled “Sandy” Young to register the first point with a beautiful long drive.  For some time the Liverpool backs were kept in a state of anxiety, and only the capital defence of Longsworth and Beeby averted further disasters.  The Liverpool forwards were a very disjointed set, the left wing being seldom in evidence and the only dangerous moves came from the other extremely of the line.  Brough was once through, but Scott made a fine save, and another dash by Goddard ended in Parkinson heading just wide of the post.  Longsworth stopped Freeman when the centre-forward was apparently a certain scorer, but just before the interval Everton forced a corner, from which Makepeace scored.  He headed the ball goalwards and Peake, in endeavouring to clear, helped it past Beeby.  Thus at half-time Liverpool was badly in arrears and though they had been facing a glaring sun, their general play did not create the impression that they would rub off the deficiency.  This was borne out by the subsequent proceedings, and though in the last five minutes they made a final rally, they could not pierce their rival’s defence.
Everton Experts
These details summarise the play, which all through went in Everton’s favour.  On both sides the forward work left much to be desired, but the Everton quintette were certainly more dangerous near goal than their opponents.  The former were more effectively served by their success must also superior to Liverpool’s.  Neither Freeman nor Parkinson was seen to advantage, and the right wing on each side was considerably ahead of the apir on the left.  The old Oxonian, Arthur Berry was a conspicuous success, he and Gourlay showing a fine understanding of one another’s requirements the amatewur throw so much dash and determination into his play as he did in the game.  His commendable turn of speed, coupled with a clever command raider on the Anfielders’ goal.  Gourlay is a most adaptable footballer, and at inside right he was more effective than in his more customary position on the left wing.  Freeman only came into notice spasmodically, and Turner was none too well served by his partner.  As the play progressed Young appeared to gradually lose sight of the fact that there were others in the line.  Everton’s defence was flawless and the most polished player on the side was Macconnachie.  Sheer skill and intelligent footwork caused him to stand out amongst a capable set of defenders with startling vividness.  Balmer never faltered and never blundered in his returns, or in anticipating his opponent’s intentions, the result being that Scott had practically nothing to do.  In the intermediate line Makepeace was without a rival.  Harris was little inferior in efficiency, and with the Middlesbrough recruit –Young –showing still further improved form, the half-back line presented a resistance that as far as as Liverpool was concerned, was invulnerable.  Here in the rear ranks was Everton’s great strength. 
Anfield Aspirants
Liverpool were not a harmonious eleven, for their forwards never settled down to decisive and concerted action.  Goddard and Brough were occasionally noticeable for fine footwork, but not one of the five seemed able to clinch any advance.  Many easy chances were frittered away, and Parkinson has seldom spent such a profitless ninety minutes.  The left wing did not blend as had been expected, but apart from this, the one outstanding frailty was the inability to send in a rousing drive; a weakness which affected the whole line.  At half-back there was not the same ability displayed as on the Everton side.  Peake was the best of the trio, but though Robinson and McConnoll worked hard there was a want of finish about their work.  Of the full-back Longsworth was easily the more resourceful; in addition he kicked cleanly and judiciously.  There was no indecision about his work, and in this respect he compared more than favourably with Chorlton, who was inclined at times to hesitate.  Beeby was sound enough in goal, and had no chance to stop either shot which beat him.  Liverpool; Beeby; Longsworth, Chorlton; Robinson, Peake, McConnell; Goddard, Brough, Parkinson, Gilligan, and Macdonald.  Everton; Scott (wm); Balmer (R.), Macconnachie; Harris, Young (R.), Makepeace, A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A), and Turner. 

Athletic News - Monday 03 October 1910
The selection of Robert Balmer for the Inter-League game with Ireland on Saturday has afforded great satisfaction to followers of the Everton club.  Like his brother, William, the younger Balmer has been one of the most consistent backs the ever donned the Everton colours, and in League matches has rendered excellent service. 

October 3, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Liverpool on Saturday suffered their usual fate when opposed at Anfield to their League rivals across the Park. The verdict against them was two goals to nil, and on the general run of the play no partisan could begrudge the honours falling to the better team. Evidently the fate are all against Liverpool when the Reds and Blues figured on the Anfield road enclosure. It is remarkable, but more the less true, that in the history of League encounters between the two great local organisations, Liverpool can only boast of two victories on their own ground. One might have though, and the chances were, that on Saturday a victory of as long ago as 1899 might have been reproduced, but the goddness of misfortune still clung to the “Reds” and yet another reverse inflicted by their strongest, though friendly, antagonists has to be recorded. Apart from the outcome of the afternoon's proceedings, which pleased or other who as the fancy of the onlooker was inclined, the game was favoured with brilliant weather, which was eminently agreeable to the crowd, though perhaps too warm for a full exhibition of the prowess of the respective combatants. Certainly the Anfield ground, bathed in sunshine and practically packed with spectators, never looked better. The turf itself was in excellent condition, and the facilities afforded in the direction of suitable accommodation were greatly appreciated by a crowd which, though not a record for the ground, meant a very gratifying accretion to the funds of the Liverpool club.

Taking the great heat, into consideration, the movements of the players, particularly in the first half of the game, came somewhat as a revelation. The pace was terrific, and it was a tribute to the work of the respective trainers that the men were so thoroughly equipped in the matter of fitness. There was not a slack moment, and when the interval came round the consenists of opinion was that never in the history of the encounter between the clubs had there been such a storming first half. One could not hope for so sustained an effort in the later stages. Still the pace during this period was for above the average, and though the quality of football left something to be desired, there could be no questioning the fact that the forty one thousand spectators had spent a most profitable afternoon. Liverpool's supporters fondly hoped that their favourites would serve up some of that “away from home” form, and secure the first points on their own enclosure. But to the open mind, there was never any doubt as to the ultimate issue, for it not a doubt, the Evertonians were a cleverer and better team. The game began in sensational fashion, for play was only in progress seven minutes when the “Blues” claimed the advantage, and surely indeed, did they relax their grip of the situation. There were some occasional accidents of a most thrilling character, and if the general play, so far as the nicer touches were concerned, did not approximate the standard attained in last season's engagements, the contest will live in the memory of most as an exhibition in which sheer persistency played a prominent part.

There was little difference in the methods adopted by the respective forward line, and it was somewhat of a coincidence that rightwing play on both sides was a dominant factor practicially throughout the game. In the matter of finish, however, there was a decided pull in favour of Everton, and yet there were lapses in the first half, when easy chances came the way of Liverpool, only to pass unheeded. Had these been accepted quite a different complexion would probably have been placed upon the game. Still there could be no getting beyond the fact that at close quarters, Liverpool's efforts savoured of unaccountable weakness, and stood out in marked contrast to those of their opponents. It was in the intermediate line, however, that the Anfielders suffered most by comparison. There was little set purpose in the general movements of the trio, who at times wandered in aimless fashion, and thus played into the hands of the opposing forwards each of whom was made to appear a more skilful artist than was actually the case. On the other hand there was an exhibition of cool calculating work by the outside Everton halves, resulting in a complete understanding with the respective wings. No wonder then that making for goal was one of the leading features of their display, and when in difficulties there were pretty hits of triangular passing that generally led up to a quick recovery. Taking a line through the part played by the rear guard of both clubs, one can safely assert that an exceptionally high standard was maintained from start to finish, and it is questionable if the clubs have even been better served in this respect than was the case on Saturday.

The incidents of the game may be briefly summarised. Liverpool were considerably handicapped in having to face the glaring sun, and in the first two minutes of play Beeby had a warm handful from R. Young. Berry had been displaying capital form on the extreme right, and making the most of a pass from Gourlay, he put across for Sandy Young to open Everton's score, seven minutes from the start. Following this the Liverpool right made good progress, and Robinson had an opening from a free kick close in, but failed to utilise it. Next was seen some clever defence on the part of Balmer, and Macconnachie in opposition to the inroads of Goddard, and his centres, and finally came a capital effort from Brough, though Scott was not wanting. Further capital work by Berry and Gourlay was followed by a spirited movement on the Liverpool right, and it was by the merest margin that Parkinson with a timely header just put outside. Still the Everton attacking party were more frequently in the picture and after a couple of corners in quick succession, Makepeace headed in. Peaks in endeavouring to clear, failed to get properly to the ball, which travelled up his body and over his shoulder into the net. The second reverse took the sting out of the Anfielders, but there was no further scoring when the interval arrived. For some time in the second portion the Everton team were content in preserving their lead, though on one occasion Goddard almost slipped through. Macconnachie was a great obstacle to the skipper's advances, and on a further occasion the clever Scott was just in time to prevent Brough getting in a parting shot when well placed. Still, the Blues were always the cleverer side, and when they got away Beeby had many anxious moments. The keeper was out of his charge on one occasion, and capture seemed certain when Longworth dropped back, and with a splendid judged header quite saved the situation. The Anfielders made a big effort in the latest stages to reduce the lead, but they were up against a resourceful defence and failed to accomplish their object.

There were four outstanding figure in Saturday's stern game. Macconachie, Longworth. Goddard and Berry. If one might just overlook a little erratic play by Chorlton it would be a moot point as to whether there has ever been given in the meetings of the clubs a better exposition of defensive work. Macconnachie was an artist in every sense, and with Balmer formed a last line of defence that would compare with any in the country. Longsworth has come on apace, and ran Macconnachie a very close race indeed for honours. He returns were cleanly executed, his interceptions most judiciously anticipated, and his all-round clever display quite caught the eye of all Scott had very little to do, but Beeby was kept well employed, and once again acquitted himself in satisfactory fashion. As indicated, the Everton halves were a more formidable line than the opposing trio, and it is some time since Liverpool have been a poorly served from this quarter. Neither McConnell nor Robinson were at all happy in their efforts to cap with the Everton forwards, and Peake alone did anything that scored above the average. On the other hand Makepeace and Harris were most successful wingers, and if R. Young's display in the centre was at times a bit clumsy, he nevertheless played a big part in breaking up Liverpool's inside forward play. Goddard and Brough were concerned in most of the attacks on the Everton lines, and though they were not too ably supported, they were not above foraging for themselves, an example that might be emulated on the left wing with distinct advantage to the club. Like that of Liverpool. Everton right wing play was the characteristic feature. Berry showed a fine turn of speed, and had an attractive style and finish to his work that stamped him as Everton outside right of the future. Gourlay was clever in finding openings and will come on, but there was little of an exceptional nature to record of the remainder. A striking failure was the work of the respective centre forwards, for they repeatedly failed to make their forwards work with any semblance to cohesion, in fact their presence at times became almost a superfine. Teams: - Liverpool: - Beeby, goal, Longsworth, and Chorlton, backs, Robinson Peake, and McConnell, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Brough, Parkinson, Gillgan, and McDonald, forwards. Everton: - William Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, A. Young, and Turner, forwards. Referee W.A. McQue.

October 3, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 6)
Everton, the champions, are now on the up grade, and on Saturday scored their fourth successive win. Stockport County being defeated by 5 goals to 1. From the commencement Everton had matters all their own way, and in the initial half scored three goals, all to the credit of Gault. After changing ends it looked as if the Blues intended running their score up to double figures, for within ten minutes they were two more goals up, scored by Mountford and Ness. With this addition to their score, however, Everton took matters easier, and nearing the end Nixon scored for Stockport. The experiment of playing Meunier and Allan in the Everton attacking line was not altogether successful, for Meunier was slow, while Allan lacked the opportunity to show his ability, for he was poorly served by his partner and half back . Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Weller, Borthwick, and Davies, half-backs, Allan, Gault, Ness, Meunier, and Mountford, forwards .

October 8, 1910. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Bury visit Goodison Park, and Bury have brought off one or two smart performances this season, and after they amply revenge themselves against Manchester City by a big score, they have hopes of earning a very respectable position this season. But, at Goodison Park, they come up against a very tough lot, and Everton have only to revive last week's form to score a victory. The Bury forward line will be robbed of much of its trustfulness by the absence of Hibbert, who is honoured by the English League, and is playing at Belfast, while Raeside the stalwart goalkeeper' is nursing an injury. Holt, in goal and Anderson at centre are therefore requisitioned. Consequent on the English League team. Everton have to make one change in the team that won so handsomely against Liverpool, but the appearance of Stevenson at right back should not materially weaken of upheavals of football form, Everton look fit for a win.

Monday October 10 1910 Athletic News
The Goodison Park eleven now boasts two players of the name of Young, and while “Sandy” the hero of the English Cup final of three years ago, is still in the van his namesake, R. Young, is the centre of the intermediate line.  Born at Swinhill, near Larkhall, in Lanarkshire, this half-back did not start playing football until he had reached the age of seventeen.  Then he joined the Swinhill Hearts, and for two years occupied the centre-half position for them in their Lanarkshire Junior League fixture.  He then migrated to Larkhill Thistle, a team which at different periods of its career included such notabilities as Alec Raisebeck, Gibson, Gilhooly, McKay, and others, who subsequently gained renown in English League warfare.  For one season Young assisted the Thistle, and at the age of twenty was persusaded to join Paisley St. Mirren.  His appearances with the Scottish League eleven were not over-frequent, and, crossing the border the following year, he was secured by West Ham United.  Here he played right half-back for a time, varied by intermittent appearances on the left wing; but eventually he was placed in the centre, and for nearly two seasons rendered excellent service for his club.  His next move was to Middlesbrough, and with the Tee-siders his post in the intermediate line was unsettled until, owing to various causes, he was located in what is now recognized as his proper post.  Everton secured him to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of J.D. Taylor, and as a natural consequence his work has been keenly watched.  To follow such an expert is an admittedly difficult task, and in his early appearances Young did not favourably impress the crisis.  However, each week has witnessed an improvement and now that he has gained touch with his new comrades his efficiency is increasing in marked fashion.  His defensive work is very sound, and when he has become thoroughly  accustomed to the needs of the men in front of him he will doubtless justify the confidence of his sponsors. 

Monday October 10, 1910 Athletic News
Everton 2, Bury 1
By Junius
All the interest generated by the appearance of Bury at Goodison Park was crammed into the last fifteen minutes of the game.  Prior to the period Everton had enjoyed the greater part of the attack, and had their forwards shown any ability when near goal, they must have been well on the road to a decisive victory at half-time.  But despite the fact that they had overplayed their visitors, and kept their defence in a state of ceaseless anxiety.  Bury came near securing the lead before the interval.  A coolly delivered centre from Currie was met by Kay, and there was more than a stroke of good for one attending Everton when two of their backs got in the way of the hurtling ball.  Just when we had settled down to the unsatisfactory feeling that no goals were likely to materialize, came a surprise present to Bury.  Some exchanges between Humphreys and Kay gave the latter ban opening, the result being a storming shot towards Everton’s goal, which Scott did well to stop.  The custodian, however, failed to properly clear and dropped the ball whereupon Currie pounced on it, and steered it easily into the undefended citadel and baffling the keeper.  Then we saw something like the real Everton.  From the restart, the Everton forwards raced straight away, and Gourlay receiving a pass from the left wing, drove the ball past Holt.  This evidently did not satisfy for a few minutes later, Makepeace plied R. Young with a likely pass, and the centre half-back, dashing ahead, worked the ball against the post, from where it glanced into the net.  The subsequently play was all in favour of Everton, and Holt effected a splendid save from “Sandy” Young in the last minute. 
Forward Faillings
Neither set of forwards can be complimented upon the quality of football exhibited, and this was brought about from two entirely different causes.  The Everton front line was not well led, and Freeman was completely off colour.  He failed to take the centres which came across, and his attempts to distribute the play went altogether astray.  Young was no better, and the shooting of the pair was surprisingly weak.  Gourlay again shaped creditably, but a nasty knock showed its effects in the later stages of the flight.  Turner put in some cap[ital runs and centres, and Berry was responsible for some sparkling sprints in the first half.  The half-backs were beyond reproach, and the play in this department reached a high standard.  Young gave his best display since coming to Everton, his headwork being most effective.  Harris and Makepeace were equally skillful in despoiling their opponents, and providing their forwards with seductive passes.  Macconnachie defended in a most approved style, his returns and interceptions being alike excellent.  Stevenson seemed uncertain in his tackling, and did not show hois real paces, as had been expected after his recent fine displays with the Reserves team.  Scott had little to do, but he made one blunder, which, by reason of its very infrequency, caused it to impress the spectators.  
Bury’s Best
The most effective work of the visitors was exhibited in defence.  Holt kept goal very creditable, one save from Makepeace and another from Young stamping him as a sterling custodian.  I was not impressed with the play of Fenner and Parkin, for before the interval they kicked wildly under pressure, and there was a lack of judgement in their general work.  They certainly prevented goals from accruing up to half-time but the manner in which this was achieved was by no means classy.  Dewhurst was the hardest worker in the half back-line, and the most earnest forager for his forwards.  Bullen and Humphreys also showed fair form, but their passing might have been improved.  Walker and might bhave been improved.  Walker and Currie formed the smartest part of the attack, but I should imagine Hibbert’s presence would have lifted the line from a moderate standard to a much higher level of efficiency.  Everton; Scott (Wm.); Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Young (R.), Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A.), and Turner.  Bury; Holt; Fenner, Parkin; Humphreys, Dewhurst, Bullen; Lee, Kay, Anderson, Currie, and Walker.  Referee; Mr. T.J. Bowbottom, Nottingham. 

October 10 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The game at Goodison Park, was not of the exhilarating kind beloved of the average football spectator, was especially notable for the surprising turn of events towards the finish. When everybody seemed to have resigned themselves to the prospect of a goalless draw, and were fast losing interest in the play, the unexpected happened, and the game altered its complexion with dramatic suddenness. Yes, undoubtedly the good things were kept until the last, and what is still more satisfactory. Everton improved their position in the “ladder.” It is to be hoped they will continue to make headway. It was indeed a remarkable transformation in the course of an hour and a half's play. The first to have a hand in it was Currie for Bury and then Gourlay for Everton. Then it became a question as to whether the winning goal would materialise. Well, this came just before the end through Bob Young, and Everton went on their way rejoicing. The result had scarcely been expected at one period, so that the victory is all the more to be valued.

Strictly speaking, however, Everton ought to have come out of the struggle with higher honours than they did. And so they would had they utilised their chances to better purpose. Their weakness in front of goal was fatal on many occasions, although there were at times some very telling shots put in which against a less resourceful keeper than Holt must certainly have counted. In the course of the game there was some up and down form displayed. A period of slow and uninteresting play would be succeeded by a flash of really clever football, this, however, soon again to be eliminated for play of a scrapper, and scrambling nature. This was especially the case in the first half. Everton nearly always mastered their Bury opponents as regards combination, and for the greater part of this half were the attacking parties. Arthur Berry and Turner put in some good centres on either wing, and Gourlay made a lot of play, but when the most favourable positions had been made the finishes were mostly inaccurate. The Shakers were none too safe in their defence, with the exception of Dewhurst, at centre half, and Parkin, at half-back, and their frequent kicking out as the last alternative did not conduce to a high standard of football. When they did get going, however, their forwards seemed more dangerous than Everton, and once Scott had a very anxious time when, after meeting the ball from Anderson, he allowed it to slip out of his hands. He was, however, on it again like a flash and got it away.

For some time in the second half it was the same tale of badly directed shots after good and promising movements, and Everton doing most of the pressing. They, however, met a strong force in the Bury halves, who, if they did not always keep the game moving for their forwards had the knack of bringing many Everton rushes to nought. Bury now had as much hard luck with their shots as Everton. Anderson with a splendid opening, sending over the bar, and a little later Currie must have scored if he had managed to control the ball. Then the Bury goal had a luck escape at the instance of Freeman, whose work had been somewhat in the background up to now. After this we had the first two goals of the day. Lee sent in a shot which Scott had the utmost difficulty in keeping out. In knocking it out, the ball hit a Bury player on the head, and whilst the goalkeeper was endeavouring to regain it, up came Currie, who put it through. Before the spectators had recovered from the little trill, Everton had come away in fine style, and Gourlay from a centre equalised with a low shot which quite mystified Holt. The latter did not seen to know much about it. It was left to Bob Young to bring off the crowning point to Everton's efforts, the centre half thus accomplishing his first scoring performance for his club.

Everton's defence was exceptionally good, as the Bury attackers soon discovered. Rarely has Macconnachie played a sounder of a more finished game. His judgement was wonderful, and either by his sure kicking or his heading he proved a great power to his side, and a terror to Lee and Kay. He was always in the right position when wanted Stevenson, if he did not shine with equal brilliance, proved an excellent substitute for Balmer, who was assisting in the Inter League match. He was speedy and alert. Just as “Mac” was the “star” back to Makepeace was the strength of the half-back line, having a hand in nearly everything that was going, and exercising marvellous control. He broke up many a dangerous rush on the part of Bury, and on two occasions at least barely missed scoring with very fine efforts indeed. Bob Young shaped much better, and the goal he scored was a very creditable performance. Forward, Gourlay played a consistently as any of the line, showing up well in the first half, when he did a lot of useful passing. His form on Saturday was a great improvement. Arthur Berry gave us some pretty football, putting in some clever centres, which were not always accepted. What has come over Freeman ? True, he called upon Holt several times, but his efforts lacked their wonted sting. One of his shots, however, was exceedingly neat, the ball just striking the bottom of the post. Scott dealt with the shots that came his way very cleverly. The Bury forwards even in their most vigorous moments, were kept well in hand. Walker was crisp and methodical on the left, and indeed the most effective of the five. They could well have done with the services of Hibbert. The halves were more useful in defensive work than in the open play. Dewhurst frequently eliciting praise for fine work, while Fenner and Parkin are a good pair of backs. In Holt, Bury have a rare custodian. He certainly was invaluable to them on Saturday. Teams: - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, A. Young, and Turner, forwards. Bury: - Holt, goal, Tooner, and Parkin, backs, Humphreys, Dewhurst, and Bollin, half-backs, Lee, Kay, Anderson, Curris, and Walker, forwards. Referee J. T. Rowbotham.

October 11, 1910, The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Two.
About 10,000 spectators witnessed the game between our two leading organisations at Anfield yesterday afternoon, and as on the occasion of the League meeting last Saturday week, the Blues prevailed, though by the narrowest possible margin. Success was deferred to the closing minute of the encounter, when Gourlay seized upon an opening resulting from indecision on the part of the Liverpool defenders, and gave Hardy no chance of saving his shot. The game throughout was not of a thrilling nature, for there was absent the keenness which is usually associated with League Football. Still there were at times occasional brilliant flashes that served to sustain the interest of the crowd. Owing to unavoidable causes neither side was at its full strength, and so far as Liverpool were concerned chief interest was of course, concentrated upon positions that up to date have given cause for much anxiety to the managers of the club.

The respective defence provided the outstanding feature of the game, and to some extent the problem of Liverpool's difficulty in this matter was solved. Hardy was himself again, and there could be no question as to the ability of the pair in front of him. Rarely was a mistake made, and both Longworth and Crawford engineered the situation to a nicety. Then, again, half-back play showed a distinct advance upon previous exhibitions, and taking the defensive portion of the team generally there was but little room for adverse criticism. Forward play, however, did not on the whole favourably impress one, for the work was not well distributed, and in addition hesitancy, at the critical moment was an outstanding defect. This latter failure served to enable the Everton rearguard to show up remarkably well. At the same time, little fault could be found with the Blues' defence, and though there were some execrable attempts to reduce Liverpool's citadel, the forward line as a whole were a more business-like lot than were the Anfielders.

Scott was not often in difficulties and dealt with everything that came his way with his usual ability. Macconnachie had an eye to every movement, and maintained his great reputation, and with Balmer formed a stout barrier against the in-roads of the Reds. Harris, R. Young, and Davies formed a strong half-way line, capable of attaining to the best efforts of the opposing forwrads, and while the front line shaped fairly well, Gourlay always caught the eye when close quarters were reached. The veteran Young provided several diversions by reason of his extra-ordinary efforts to find the Liverpool net, but one of his attempts was of the best, and required a second effort from Hardy to effect a clearance. As indicated, Hardy, Longworth, and Crawford were a most reliable set of defenders, and in the half-way line Harrop was a great success on the wing. The trio as a whole gave an exhibition distinctly in advance of what has been witnessed so far this season. Peake looked well after Freeman, who required careful attention, and Harrop frequently held up the Everton right while in addition he judiciously opened out the game for his forwards. Force of circumstances brought Gilligan into the centre forward position, but he was not a success. Much clever work, especially in the first half, came from Uren, whose finishing was distinctly good. Stewart was below form, and Brough would have done better had he got off the mark quickly instead of courting defeat by twisting and twirling before pairing with the ball. Goddard was up against Macconnachie at his best, but he was not the least effective of a hard working though unsuccessful line. Teams: - Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Longworth, and Crawford backs, Robinson, Peake and Harrop, half-backs, Goddard, Brough, Gilligan, Stewart, and Uren, forwards. Everton: - William Scott goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Davies half-backs, Pinkney, Gourlay, Freeman, A. Young, and Mountford, forwards.

October 12, 1910 Liverpool Evening Express
The Fulham club have been anxious to secure forwards of known ability, and Mr. Kelso has been scouring the country in search of the required article for some considerable time. The Fulham secretary has angled at the Everton and Liverpool clubs' headquarters, but he first failed to secure Orr and White. He has made another attempt however this time with success, as we are informed that this forecourt he prevailed upon Wattie White to throw in his lot with the London club. White, therefore, will in future assist the Fulham club in the Second Division. That his experience and cleverness will be of the greatest value to the Londoners is certain, as White has plenty of football in him yet. He has been with Everton for a couple of seasons, during which time he has played some exceptionally fine games. He did good work in the cup ties last season. He displaced Coleman at inside right in the first round at Middlesbrough, and so well did he play on that occasion that he retained the place throughout the series until Everton were beaten in the semi-final. White has appeared in two League games only this season for Everton, and as Young and Gourley seen to be securely placed in the inside positions, so that there was not much chance for the ex-Bolton player. His many admirers will wish him luck with his new club. White came to Everton two seasons ago from Bolton Wanderers along with Clifford, and his work with the “Blues” has always been of a high-class quality. As is well known, White is a Scottish international. He stands 5ft 6in in height and weighs 10st 12lbs. The fee is said to be a substantial one.

On Saturday it is the turn of the “Blues” to visit Sheffield, and it is to be hoped they will fare better than their friends from Anfield did when they visited the cutlery town. Goals are required and if the forwards can only make a spurt the “Blues” may again a point or two. Time is getting on, and our Mersey teams should be making a move in the right direction. Owing to an injury sustained in the Bury match it is not likely that Turner will be able to make his place at outside left, and the amateur G.H. Barlow, has been chosen for the position in the event of Turner standing down. The following players have been chosen to oppose Sheffield United. Wm Scott; R. Balmer, and Macconachie; Harris, Young (R.), and Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A), and Turner or Barlow. Llew Davis is to travel as reserve.

The Everton Reserves team to meet Nelson at Goodison Park was selected as follows;- Walter Scott; Clifford, and J.C. Bardsley; Allan, Borthwick, and Weller; Pinkney, Gault, Magner, White and Mountford. Kick-off 3.15.

October 13, 1910. The Liverpool Evening Express
As announced exclusively in the “Express” yesterday, Walter White, the Everton forward, has been transferred to Fulham. I had the privilege of informing the football public in an early edition of the “Express,” and details were given in the later editions. It certainly amused me when later on in the day the announcement was made by a contemporary to the following effect,

; - “A contemporary says that White has been transferred to Fulham. Up to the time of writing this is not the case, for the Everton forward had not yet signed, and it is a fact that the player himself has not yet settled to go South.”

Everton's visit to Sheffield is being looked forward to with great interest. The United directors held a meeting last night, when they decided to make but one change from the eleven which did so well at Manchester last Saturday, this being that McGuire takes the place of Brelsford, who sustained injuries to his head last week. The following team will represent the Blades; Leivesley; Smith and Brooks; McGuire, Wilkinson, and Sturgess; Walton, Simmons, Simons, Hardinge, and Evans.

October 13 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
We learn that Fulham have secured the transfer from Everton of Walter White, the well-known forward. White has been with Everton for a couple of seasons, he having previously played for Bolton Wanderers. Fulham are short of class forwards, and White should prove an acquisition to the London club. Everton Record: - Season 1908-09: - 18 League apps, 3 goals, Fa Cup 2 apps 1 goal

Season 1909-10: - 23 League apps, 6 goals, Fa Cup 7 apps 2 goals.

Season 1910-11: - 2 League apps, 1 goal.

Total: - 43 Leagues apps, 10 goals, Fa Cup 9 apps, 3 goals.

October 14, 1910 The Liverpool Evening Express
Everton travel to Sheffield to meet the United, and here the fixture is a pretty open affair. Neither team has done too well, and the contest between the pair tomorrow is likely to be all the more desperate on that account. If the Everton forwards can find their true form they ought not to be beaten, as the defence appears to be strong enough to resist the Sheffield forwards. A draw may be the verdict. Everton team will be Wm Scott; R. Balmer, and Macconnachie; Harris, Young (R.), and Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A), and Turner or Barlow. Llew Davies travels as reserve thus Leivesley; Smith and Brooks; McGuire, Wilkinson, and Sturgess; Walton, Simmons, Simons, Hardinge and Evans.

October 15 1910. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton face one of their stiffest away encounters. Already Mereyside has lost four points to the Cutlery capital, and it is up to Everton to make some amends. The Blues visit Sheffield United, conscious of their fine defence, which has only lost one goal on foreign soil, and hopeful that the forwards will return to the form of a fortnight ago. The directors were compelled to make one change from the team that had done duty for two success weeks, owing to Turner'' injury not having sufficiently recovered. Though originally selected, the Ex-Leicester Fosse forward was always a doubtful starter, and G. H. Barlow makes his first appearance of the season. For exactly the same number of matches played Everton are a couple of points better off than their rivals, but one must remember United's smashing victory at Manchester Last week, but on this showing Everton look good for some reward.

Athletic News - Monday 17 October 1910
Sheffield United 0, Everton 1
By Nemo
Fortune continues to frown upon Sheffield United when performing before own supporters, and for the fourth time in five League games at bramall-lane this season they had to admit defeat on Saturday.  But this time they deserved a better fate.  It is no discredit to the victorious Everton team, who played smart football from front to rear, to say that the United showed form worthy of a division of points.  Yet the single goal whereby the visitors won the game was a very fine one and their defence throughout was strong and skillful.  The Sheffielders had a fresh breeze against them during the first half, yet they had a fair share of the play.  Everton’s goal came eight minutes from the start. Good tackling by R. Young in midfield and a nice pass out to the left, started the movement which brought it.  A. Young sent the ball along to Barlow, who outwitting Smith (United’s reserve back, who was again operating in the injured Benson’s place), went on almost to the goalline.  Then, from a position from which a score seemed hopeless, he screwed the ball into the goalmouth and instead of passing along the front and out at the other side it curled into the far corner of the net, what time Lievesley stood amazed.  The combination of the Everton forwards was very pretty in the early part of the game.  The Sheffielders responded with hard work and dash, and Evans had bad luck in not equalising before half-time, with a great long shot, which beat Scott and rebounded from the post.  The second half was brimful of speed, energy, and excitement.  Early on, a curious incident occurred in connection with which luck was certainly on the United’s side.  Brooks, had mis-kicked at a low shot by Freeman and the ball was speeding through when Lievesley, in desperate straits, made a  happy-go-lucky back-kick at it, and actually “back-heeled: it straight up and over his own bar.
United’s Desperate Fight
After this fortunate escape fortune turned against the United.  With splendid dash and enthusiasm they went for an equalising goal, Evans time after time swinging the ball into the goalmouth in glorious style.  Numerous were the shots sent in which it would be wrong to say were cleared by the defence, for they simply rebounded from men who happened to be in the line of fire.  One by simmons hit Macconnachie in the face, and one by Hardinge struck Scott on the knees.  Added to this, Scott was great in goal, and both Balmer and Macconnachie daring, accurate and clever in front of him, so that mightily as they strove the Bramwell-lane brigade could not equalize. 
Well Played All!
Not a man on either side played badly, Scott, Balmer, and Macconnachie were a great trio in defence of the Everton goal, and they had a busy time.  They were a;; three bold, clever, and successful.  In front they had a line of strong and judicious half-backs who greatlyt aided in the effective combination which the whole team displayed, R. Young excelling.  In the visitors’ forward line Barlow and A. Young were a brilliant left wing in the first half, and towards the end of the game, Berry on the extreme right, was prominent with some sparkling sprints and shots.  Lievesley, in the home goal, had less work to do than Scott at the other end.  Yet he made several admirable saves, notably one from a fierce grounder by Berry near the finish.  Smith and Brooks did not rise to the heights of the Everton backs, but both rendered excellent service.  Still the home defence missed Benson.  McGuire, who appeared at right half in place of the injured Brelsford, deserves mention for the smart style in which he filled the vacancy.  He was particularly good in assisting the attack, and quite held his own in a line which, with Wilkinson and Sturgess both playing up to form, was a distinctly good one.  Evans was brilliant on the left of the United attack, and both centred and shot well, while Hardinge helped him to make that wing very dangerous.  The whole forward line worked in dashing, eager, whose-hearted fashion, and none more so than Simmons.  The United deserved a point.  Sheffield United; Lievesley; Smith, Brooks; McGuire, Wilkinson, Sturgess; Walton, Simmons, Simons, hardinge, and Evans.  Everton; Scott (Wm); Balmewr (R), Macconachie; Harris, Young (R), Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A), and G.H. Barlow.  Referee; R. Horrocks, Heywood. 

Athletic News - Monday 17 October 1910
The rearranged fixture between Everton Reserve and Nelson provided some very vigorous play, and not a few accidents.  Gault received a nasty kick which cut his face, and Magner, who fell on his shoulder, factured a bone there.  Nelson’s inside-left was so badly injured that he was taken to Stanley Hosital to be examined.  The champions won by three clear goals, but the game was not one to create enthusiasm.  There was more vigour than skill displayed at times. 

October 17, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team accomplished a smart performance in visiting and defeating Sheffield United. They prevailed by the narrowest possible margin, but taking the general run of the play into consideration a division of honours would have been a more fitting result to a game in which the representative defences played a very prominent part. The occasion served to introduce Barlow in the Everton ranks for the first time this season, so that the forward line was represented on the extreme wings by amateur talent. The two portions of the game stood out in marked contrast. There was little between the sides in the first half, but following upon the change of ends, the United forwards peppered away at the Everton defence for fully twenty minutes, and it was truly astonishing how the rearguard survived the trying ordeal. They never faltered, and during the whole of this period there was practically no assistance coming from the forwards, who seemed to concentrate their attention upon keeping their lead rather than open out the game, and thus relieve the pressure.

Many a long day, has pass since Everton's inside forward play was so ineffective as on Saturday. As a whole never settled down for a definite plan of campaign, for the work was not well distributed, passing was badly timed, and some occasional centres from the wings were wretchedly utilised. Freeman as the pivot failed to control the ball, and never looked like pulling the line together, and a vast improvement will need be forthcoming from the quarter if this line is to hold its own. A. Young was completely off colour, but Gourlay gave further evidence of improved form. Berry and Barlow made the most of what came their way, but several of their centres were a trifle short. At centre half R. Young was a great success. He broke up the opposition more effectively than he gave possession to his forwards, still the value of his work all round could not be over-estimated for he was a great thorn in the side of United's inside forward play. Makepeace was not quite himself probably the result of meeting a hard drive full in the face, while Harris was as persistent as ever. Reference has been made to the excellent character of full back play, Macconnachie and Balmer were at their best, and everyone who followers football knows what that means. It is a moot point if there is a sounder combination in defence than the pair who don Everton's colours, and in the case of Macconnachie the highest of international honours must surely come his way. Scott gave a great display of goalkeeping, as the United forwards no doubt would be ready to admit. He had a bust time during the second half, and dealt with everything in the usual effective fashion. Leivesley was not severely tested, neither were Smith and Brooks, and while Wilkinson kept Freeman well in check, the left wing in Hardinge, and Evans were concerned in most of the raids on the Everton defence.

The incidents of play can be briefly summarised. The game had only been in progress some eight minutes when Barlow, after racing along the line, put in a centre which turned into the corner of the net, much to the astonishment of Leivesley and probably the scorer. Then followed some smart work by Gourlay, who kept Berry well employed. Evans looked all over a scorer when Makepeace dashed across and faced a hard drive; while later on R. Young from a free kick just outside the United's penalty area, was only a trifle wide of the mark with a powerful ground shot. Towards the interval the home forwards indulged in some very effective footwork, which merited a goal, but Everton retained their lead. On the resumption the visiting defence was subjected to very severe pressure, and it must have given way on one occasion but for the foresight of Macconnachie, who swept across and challenged Hardinge, who was just a few yards from Scott. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the home side just now, and none could have grudged them in equalising point. After they had shot their bolt, the home custodian was lucky in heeling the ball over the bar, while in the closing stages a clever shot from Berry rebounded from the crossbar. Everton retained their lead, and the United thus sustained they fourth defeat at home in the League games. Teams : - Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Benson, and Brooks, backs, McClure, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Walton, Simmons, Kitchen, Hardinge, and Evans, forwards. Everton: - William Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, A. Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee R. Horrock.

October 17, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 7)
Everton secured their fifth successive win at the expense of Nelson, whom they vanquished by three goals to nil. Although the Blues were handicapped in the second half by the absence of Maguire they always had the measure of their opponents, and the game developed into a duel between the home forwards and the visitors' rearguard. Hirst the visiting custodian gave a brilliant display, and was loudly applauded for many astonishing clearances. Mountford opened the scoring from a penalty, and before the interval Magner seizing upon a opening rushed between the backs and added No. 2. The only goal of the second half was due to Pinkney, who played a corner kick right into the goalmouth, and Hirst in trying to punch clear diverted the ball into his own goal . Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, Clifford, and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Borthwick, and Weller, half-backs, Pinkney, Gault, Mager, Maguire, and Mountford, forwards.

October 22 1910. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
On the last occasion Aston Villa visited Goodison Park, they took away a point. The Villa were not to convincing last week, and perhaps Everton were lucky to win. The home team boast three more points, for one match more, and they seems to be so little between them that a fast, keen game, is practically assured. Villa will be strengthened by the return of Cartlidge who deposes George. Hall is an absentee, it is true, but Eyre is a very capable reserve, and he and Bache are certain to prove a troublesome wing. Unsuccessful in their inquires for new forwards, Everton play the same team as last week, so that Barlow makes his first appearance at Goodison Park in senior football this season. The kick-off is 315 a quarter of an hour earlier than hitherto this season.

Monday October 24 1910 The Athletic News
Everton 0, Aston Villa 1
By Junius
Deterioration seems prevalent in the football atmosphere.  In days gone by when Everton and the Villa opposed each other we were invariably treated to a fine exhibition of the game, free from all undesirable tactics, and productive of the best ideals of sport.  Last year when the Midlanders came to Goodison Park we saw little cleverness but abundance of vindictiveness, and the recent visit of the Villa to the same enclosure, while producing little of the latter quality, gave us an equally small dose of the former.  Utterly disappointing was the contest, for the football never reached a good standard, and the play was more scrambling in character than I have ever seen when these rivals have been in opposition.  Much of this was due to the haphazard work of the respective forwards; there was precious little attempt at combined effort, while the close touch that ought to prevail between the half-back and forward lines was seldom in evidence.  When near goal midfield failings were accentuated, and had the result been a draw without a point being registered it would have aptly befitted the occasion.   Cannot refrain from mentioning an incident of this moderate match, which caused me not only to wonder greatly, but to feel considerable concern for the fair fame of football in this city of Liverpool.  Towards the close of the contest Hampton was making a dash down the centre of the field when he was tackled by Balmer, and the result of the collision was that Hampton was alid out.  To my great surprise an outburst of cheering came from hundreds of spectators throats, rounds of applause greeting the misfortune of the Villa player.  I hold no brief for Hampton, but I should be extremely sorry to think that the idea of sportsmanlike had sunk so low in Liverpool that a repetition of such a reprehensible scene could ever again occur. 
Forwards Failing
The game provided us with precious little forward play worthy of the name.  Everton’s frailty has been long patent, but I question whether it has this season stood out so noticeable as in this game with the Villa.  I do not intend to labour the subject; suffice to say that the Everton front rank was entirely culpable for the defeat.  Gourlay made several praiseworthy attempts to find the net, and the inside right was the one player on the side who showed a marked disposition to open the scoring.  Berry obtained few changes, but he fared remarkably well with what did come in his direction.  He ought to have been afforded more opportunities, but that was not entirely Gourlay’s fault.  The remaining portion of the front rank accomplished little; very, very rarely was there forthcoming concerted action along the whole line, which, as a body, proved wonderfully harmless at close quarters.  The forwards could not complain of lack of assistance, for the half-backs strove strenuously to provide them with chances, but all to no purpose.  The men in the intermediate line were responsible for some splendid work.  Young, in the centre, labored unceasingly, and zealously endeavouring to infuse life into the decayed attack.  Makepeace and Harris were similarly situated; they performed their share of the afternoon’s toil bobly, but their efforts were poorly seconded.  Further in the rear, Balmer and Macconnachie offered a stout resistance to the opposition, though in the second half the left full back met his match in Wallace and Walters, the apair circumventing him oftener than is usually seen.  Scott kept the resumption.  Two clearances from Walters and Eyre respectively were examples of the Celt’s best, and he was helpless with the terrific drive which eventually beat him from the former’s foot. 
Varied “Villians”
Not until the second half had started did we see the Villa forwards to advantage, and then only for a brief period.  This, however, was sufficient to produce the only goal of the game, and furnished the most effective bit of attack seen during the afternoon.  The right wing displayed much cleverness, but Hampton of Bache and Eyre was only responsible for spasmodic advances.  As a line, the Villa van was but slightly superior to that of Everton, for the simple reason that they gave us fifteen minutes or thereabouts of incisive efforts.  The half-backs shaped well in defence but they did not enter into sympathy with their forward division.  They frequently lobbed the ball in the air, and showed little cleverness in controlling it and distributing the play to the men in front.  Buckley was the most conspicuous on account of his superior aggressiveness, but I was not impressed by the work of the trio.  Nothing could have excelled the defensive work of Lyons and Miles.  The former was the more prominent, but neither back made a mistake, for each kicked with power and precision, and covered the goal capably.  Cartlidge was never at fault, and his save from Gourlay clearly showed intelligent anticipation for had he not advanced to meet his opponent a goal must have been the consequence.  Everton; Scott (Wm); Balmer (R.), Macconnachie; Harris, Young (R.), Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Freeman, Young (A.), and G.H. Barlow.  Aston Villa; Cartlidge; Lyons, Miles; Tranter, Buckley, Hunter; Wallace, Walters, Hampton, Bache, and Eyre.  Referee; mr. H.S. Bamlett, Gateshead. 

October 24, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Though Aston Villa won at Goodison by the only goal scored in the match, there was not any especially great merit in the victory. When a team has the worst of matters for fully three parts of the game there is something to be disappointed from their ultimate success, especially if it is a snatched victory for such it was on Saturday. There was certainly not a difference of one goal between the teams; indeed, with anything like descent luck the Blues would have won. There were quite a number of shots, which deserved a better fate. But while unlucky in several respects, the Evertonians were at fault in a direction where their weakness has lain all along this season. They did alright in combination, but when it came to shooting they failed to locate the net. It was tantalising to see matters so framing themselves that the downfall of the Villa seemed imminent, and then for the shootish to finish up sometimes greatly wide of the mark, and at other times only missing by inches.

The player who had the vilest of luck in this respect was Gourlay. Truly he is to be commiserated with. The inside right has not been seen to such advantage for sometime nor has he previously shown so unmistakably that he is a shootist of great ability when he is at his best. If anybody would have scored on Saturday it was Gourlay. He was most determined in his work fearless and methodical, and his efforts in front of goal the most telling. We had a proof of his keenness early on in the game when so far as actual play was concerned it was going in favour of the Blues, who were vigorous in attack. Two fine shots came from Gourlay in quick succession. The first went outside, but the second was as near scoring as possible, Carlidge allowing it to twice roll out of his hand and to go nearly over the line. Gourlay was the man who caused most of the trouble to the Villa custodian in the first half and it was a tribute to Cartlidge that his manner of stopping the shots was so masterly. There was the occasion, for example, when he save brilliantly from the clever inside right after the latter had received from Barlow, and again the exciting period at the end of this half when the same forward did everything but score. If he did not manage this Gourlay had the satisfaction of knowing that he made many fine attempts, and altogether his play was worthy the highest praise.

If the play throughout was not stamped with these finer points which one expects from two such class teams, it was hotly contested all the way. Nor was it all a kid-glove affair, as the extraordinary number of stoppages for minor injuries testify. It was well that a referee like Mr. H.S. Bamlett was in charge to exercise that unfailing strictness, where there was an inclination to take liberties, and it was due to his tact and close supervision that there were fewer delays than might have otherwise have been the case. By good forward work in the first half, strongly supported by those behind. Everton were in the main the aggressors. Some of their movements were pretty, the ball often going from man to man in the front line with clockwork accuracy. The Villa found it a matter of difficulty to get a look in at the home end, so unerring and well judged was the defensive work of Macconnachie and Makepeace in particular. The Blues, however, were not seen to the same advantage after crossing over, although it was evident that their powers of attack were more staying than their opponents, as they finished with a spell of very determined play. Before this the Villians had roused themselves to action, providing one of the most exciting episodes of the afternoon. It was here that the Everton goal was in extreme jeopardy; but were poured in on Scott which called for the international's greatest powers, and these prevailed. He saved four shots which otherwise must have gone to the debit account of his side. The goal, which won the match for the Midlanders, was one, which a goalkeeper out of a thousand could not have saved. Waiters had a favourable opportunity whilst both Macconnachie and R. Young were left on the ground after an exciting melee with some opponents, and reshot in with such accuracy from fairly long range that Scott for once had no chance with it.

On the whole Everton's display was of better quality than that of the Villa, and they ought at least to have drawn level, if not won. The forwards moved along in pretty fashion, and in the earlier stages of the game were successful in their manceures against the opposing half-back line, though they were undoubtedly held in more effectively in the second half. Mention has already been made of Gourlay, and as far as results go he was the best forward on the field, although Arthur Berry played a fine game, and out-witted Hunter and Miles repeatedly. Alex Young was not the Young of old. He was frequently lacking in judgement and was beaten in speed, but against his mistakes it should be mentioned that he had extremely hard lines with a shot towards the end, which struck the upright with Cartlidge beaten. Freeman although his scoring powers are still missing, was in better form than usual. Barlow, not favoured with too many chances, played a useful game. The halves were a great line, their work being especially notable for the marked improvement shown by Robert Young. He was always in the thick of it, and surprised some opponents with his tackling. Balmer and Macconnachie came out of many a knotty position with credit, and as to Scott some of his saves were nothing short of mitaculous. The Villa's defence was sound, and came out well in many a trying ordeal, Miles and Lyons in particular. The form of the forwards was varied, though when they did exert themselves they were very difficult to shake off. Hampton was never brilliant, and seemed to roam without any, indefinite aim, whilst Bache was prevented from being as dangerous as he usually is. Teams : - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Robert Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Val Harris, Robert Young, and Harry Makepeace (Captain), half-back, Arthur Berry, J. Gourlay, Bertie Freeman, Alec Young, and George Barlow, forwards. Aston Villa: - Cartlidge, goal, Lyons, and Miles, backs, Tarinter, Buckley, and Hunter, half-backs, Wallace, Walters, Hampton, Bache, and Kyre, forwards. Referee H.S. Bamlett.

October 25 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Three.
Everton and Blackpool have been drawn together three times in recent seasons in the Lancashire Cup Competition, and last season Everton prevailed in their tie at Goodison Park by 5 goals to 2. The “Blues” who are the holders of the trophy and yesterday at Blackpool in the third round of the competition for the Pantine trophy, and after a well contested game, Everton ran out winners by 4 goals to 2. Blackpool have done exceedingly well in the Second Division this season, although they played hard enough yesterday, they were no match for the Everton backs. Cox the old Liverpool man, was absent from the home team owing to an injury sustained on Saturday, whilst Gladwon was also absent. Everton made several dangers from the side beaten by Aston Villa. Pinkney and Mountford coming into the wing position instead of Arthur Berry and George Barlow, whilst Llew Davies played instead of Makepeace and Lacey was introduced at inside right.

On the whole Blackpool did more pressing than Everton but the “Blues” were ever ready to make their chances, and thus in the first half, although Blackpool enjoyed more of the play. Everton by superior marksmanship gained the lead at the interval. The Blackpool forwards found Scott a stumbling block the Irishman saving their most dangerous shots in quite his best form. Balmer and Macconnachie too, required some beating, and generally the home front line failed to force home their advantage. It was from a nice movement on the part of Lacey and Mountford, which resulted in the latter; centring to Gourlay who opened the scoring with a shot that beat Fiske all the way. Freeman, who ran through the defence and beat Fiske, but the Blackpool keeper ought to have saved the shot obtained the second point. It was not until just before the interval that Hoad ran down the right and centred to Beare, who scored for the Seasiders. The second half was more spiritedly contested, and the home team especially were very earnest in then efforts. As before, however, it was not often that the forwards were allowed an opening, and when they did get a shot in they found Scott at his best. Beare was the most persistent of the line, and it was a only that he should have lost control of himself during tussles with Harris. There was no doubt that Everton were the more dangerous side near goal, and once Freeman had hard luck when he ran through the defence to see his parting shot hit the foot of the post. However, Freeman engineered the third goal, as he placed cleverly to Mountford, and the latter centred finely. Fiske failed to clear and Lacey had only to walk the ball into the net. In the closing ten minutes or so Blackpool applied pressure and after the Everton defenders had repelled the ball, more than once, Beare scored the second point. So persistent were the Seasiders that an equalising goal was expected every minute, but the Everton defence survived the ordeal, and in the last minute Lacey and Freeman put in a clever bit of passing which ended in the Irishman dribbling right up to Fiske and scoring the fourth goal.

At times the play was rather slack, but on the whole it was interesting. On the Everton side Scott distinguished himself by some smart saves, whilst Balmer and Macconnachie were able defenders. Harris was the best of the middle line and Gourlay and Freeman did well in the front rank. The wingmen preformed fairly well and Lacey was a hard worker throughout. Morley and Beare were the best of the home line and Connor was the pick of the halves. Teams: - Everton: - William Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and L. Davies half-backs, Pinkney, Lacey, Freeman, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards. Blackpool: - Fiske, goal, Crewdson and Dale, backs, Threlfall, Connor, and Clarke, half-backs, Hoad, Wolstenholme, Morley, Conne, and G. Beare. Forwards.

October 29, 1910. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Hope springs eternal, and Evertion's game with Sunderland will be keenly watched. The Blues, candidate, are not all that supporters and directors themselves would desire; but, though they are up against the formidable Wearsiders, the long journey north hopes of returning with some reward. Of course, Everton are capable of rising to great occasions, and, which admittedly the arduous task before the visitors, there are at least hopes of a point. The forward line is again rearranged and is in some respects experimental, so that its success or ill is to that busting marksman Lacey partnering Berry for the first time since the Manchester United match, and Gourlay operating on Freeman's left alongside Mountford who gets his first change in League football this season. There was some disappointment in the ability of Balmer to play, the splitting of this fine defence being unfortunate for such a momentous occasion. Balmer has been suffering from an injury for a couple of weeks, but he broke down on Thursday. There is consolation in the ability of Clifford; however, who will fill the vacancy. Sunderland are able to play the same team at last week.

October 31, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton visit to Roker Park was disastrous Sunderland won by four clear goals. On the face of it, it does seem strange that in one match as many goals should have been given away as in the nine proceeding game in which Everton have participated. There are, however, extreme circumstances which need not give rise to anxiety as to the strength of the Goodison Park club's defence. The success of Sunderland was as much due to unhappy accident as to cleverness on the part of the attack of one of the clubs still undefeated in league engagement. It was early in the game when the accident happened which quite discounted any hope of success, which the Evertonians might have expected. True the Sunderland forwards in the initial stages were rewarded with a good goal from Mordue, but the ardour of the rearranged Everton side in no way damped until by sheer misfortune, all their plans were upset owing to that stalwart in defence –Macconnachie –being rendered hors de combat. In endeavoring to clear his lines he unfortunately twisted his ankle, and though he returned after a further, a further couple of goals had been recorded, it was obvious that he was unfit and he retired for the remainder of the game. During the early portion of the Scot's absence the one back game was resorted to, but it was ineffective for Mordue and Holley advanced the lead. Makepeace recognised the inefficacy of the method of defence, dropped back to partner Clifford and although the visiting forwards could make no impression upon the Sunderland defenders, there was at least the consolation that only one other goal by Coleman was forthcoming on the part of the Wearsiders. Everton are to be pitied than blamed for the apparently ignominious defeat recorded again them.

The Sunderland players naturally took advantage of the misfortune of their opponents. They proved themselves a team worthy of the position they hold in the League, and one need not wonder at their ability to head the table. Had it not been for Scott's brilliance in goal the result must have been even more pronounced. Still it is a pity that what promised to be a real trial of strength was rendered impracticable on account of the injury to Macconnachie. It was hard on Clifford in his first League match of the season that he should have for a lengthy period all the responsibility of covering the goal thrust upon him, for it was a thankless task opposed to five such forwards as Sunderland possess. Yet he did remarkably well and there should be no cause for uneasiness when this player's services are called into requisition. If the game did nothing else it disclosed the fact that Freeman not as hampered as he is in the centre, can dash along the wing with the best of them. Further comment upon the players is unnecessary. Their plan of campaign that gave promise in the early stages unfortunately became disorganised. Yet they made a galliant struggle against great odds, and the men are to be complimented upon their brave show against adversity. Teams: - Sunderland: - Roose, goal, Troughear, and Fonter, backs, Tait, Thomson, and Low, half-backs, Mordue, Joe Coleman, Corell, Holley, and Bridgett, forwards. Everton: - William Scott, goal, Clifford and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Lacey, Makepeace (Captain), Gourlay, and Mountford forwards. Referee A Shallcross.

October 31 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
Everton are now playing at the top of their form, and their victory over Colne by one goal to nil was their six consecutive win. The score does not represent the Blues superiority for at least three parts of the game the home side were attacking. Kneeshaw however, excelled himself in goal, saving shots of all descriptions in a most workmanlike manner, including a penalty kick (from Ness). The only goal was scored near the interval. Carlisle netting from close range. Everton: - Walter Scott goal, Clifford, and Meuneir, backs, Weller, Borthwick, and L. Davies, half-backs, Pinkney, Gault, Ness, Carlisle, and Michaels, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 31 October 1910
Sunderland 4 Everton 0
By Tom Tiddler
Sunderland wound up their first quarter of the season with a brilliant victory over their old opponents, Everton.  This was the fiftieth meeting of the clubs, and Sunderland marked the occasion with a dashing display that once again, with the assistance of Middlesbrough, landed them at the head of the table.  Everton however, are to be commiserated with in having to struggle on for over an hour without Macconnachie, who twisted his left ankle shortly after the first goal was scored.  During Macconnachie’s absence Sunderland increased their total to three, and when he did return he quickly collapsed and had to be carried off the field.  It was then that Makepeace went back, and Mountford completed the half-back line up to the interval, when he changed places with Gourlay.  Even after making all due allowances for the visitors, I do not think they would have done much better had they been throughout at full strength as the home team were playing much the better game before the accident happened, and in the second half they eased up considerably. 
Story of The Goals
As to the game it opened briskly enough before 18,000 spectators, and on a pitch rendered slippery by recent heavy rains,  The Evertonians opened strongly, and a real beauty from Mountford caused Roose to jump hard to clear.  Gradually the Wearsiders got more settled down, and they forced a corner seventeen minutes from the start.  Bridgett placed it splendidly, and Holley headed in.  Although Scott cleared Cowell quickly pounced upon the ball and transferring to Mordue, the latter opened the score with a fast cross shot.  Ten minutes later –Everton at this time had only one back – the lead was increased through Mordue, who receiving a square pass from Coleman steadied himself and taking deliberate aim netted with a rising ball.  Less than a couple of minutes elapsed when the third one was booked.  Tait had passed out to Mordue, who worked the ball round, Clifford and centred from near the corner flag.  The ball travelled swiftly across and Holley jumping up headed into the net, the ball striking the crossbar before dropping through.  This completed the first half scoring.  When the game was resumed the Wearsiders were inclined to take matters easily, but the individual efforts of Berry and Mountford and the good work of the half-backs had to be reckoned with.  The extreme wingers made several dashes towards the home goal.  In the main, however, the contest was confined to the visitors half, and when nineteen minutes of the second period had gone smart work by Mordue, Low and Coleman ended in the latter scoring with a swift ground shot.
Wearsiders Fine Forwards
In the later stages, Makepeace was adjudged guilty of handling within the penalty area, and Holley taking the kick, shot at Scott who cleared.  The Wearsiders gave probably their best forward exhibition at Roker Park this season, particularly the right wing.  It was delighted at times to watch the Machine like movements of Coleman and Mordue and a smarter display one could hardly wish for.  Cowell’s debut was highly satisfactory.  His play was characterized by unselfishness and admirable distributive powers, and he was always on the lookout for and making opportunities.  His only fault was a lack of steadiness.  The left wing pair were not so prominent and I should imagine that Holley’s lengthy spell is beginning to tell upon him.  Thomson, Low, and Tait were at their best, and the backs got along splendidly together, Forster being streets ahead of his previous home display, while Roose came off trumps.
Good Words For Everton
On the visiting side Scott brought off some very fine save and held his charge well – all things considered.  Clifford and his partners had a great deal of hard work to do, and were ever in the thick of the fray, Clifford kicked and tackled in splendid style, as also did Macconnachie clearing when in the last line of defence, is worthy of all praise.  Young was the pick of the half-backs, and the most dangerous forwards were Berry, Mountford, and Freeman.  Berry is gifted with a fine turn of speed, and can dribble along at a great rate.  Freeman did more foraging than one has seen him at Sunderland and the extreme left-winger was notable for his good centres, though at times they were disappointing.  Sunderland; L.R. Roose; Troughear, Forster; Tait, Thomson, Low; Mordue, Coleman, Cowell, Holley, and Bridgett.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Young, Makepeace; A. Berry, Lacey, Freeman, Gourlay, and Mountford.  Referee; Mr. A. Shallcross, Leck. 




October 1910