Everton Independent Research Data


Athletic News - Monday 02 October 1911
Everton 2, Newcastle United 0
By Junius
It took Everton a week to select their team to meet Newcastle United at Goodison Park, and seeing that they won by two clear goals it would almost appear as if there was substantial benefit to be derived from a delay.  Yet the game was by no means inspiriting.  True, there were many clever sequences of passing and some most delightful items of footwork, but there were precious few serious attempts as goal-scoring, which, after all, must rank as the main factor.  On both sides this was the outstanding frailty, and neither goalkeeper was severely tested.  In midfield there was plenty of smart manceurving, and the combination at times was worthy of great praise, but the finishing touches were paltry.  The best efforts of the forwards were baulked when the full-backs came to be tackled and Everton’s victory was due to a slight superiority at close range, which gave them a couple of goals.  At no time did it appear that the Tynesiders could avert defeat.  They failed to reproduce that form which has made them such an attractive side when visiting Liverpool, and their exhibition was about the tamest I have ever seen given by a Newcastle team.
Young’s Utility
Much of the credit of Everton’s victory must be awarded to their half-back line, in the centre Young played one of his best games, and this materially affected the issue.  He was skillful in intercepting in his tackling, but the best feature of his work was the manner in which he plied his own forwards with opportunities for making headway.  Excellent assistance was forth coming from Harris, and, although the admittedly clever combine –Wilson and Stewart –forced themselves to the notice of the spectators, they were generally within the clutches of the sturdy and ubiquitous Celt.  Makepeace was the least prominent of the trio, and yet he gave a sound display.  The failure of the Northerners to score was in great measure due to the admirable resistance offered by the Everton intermediate trio.  Further behind, Macconnachie gave a grand display.  He was at his best; cool, collected, and never at fault.  His returns were beautiful judged, and his interventions accurately timed.  Stevenson never faltered, and in this game Everton’s defence was seen to the best advantage. 
An Improvement Forward.
The forward line was the part of the team that had caused the directors the greatest trouble in selection, and I think it will be generally admitted that the choice upon which they finally decided was the best at their disposal.  Of the five I liked Burton best.  His passes were clean and neatly placed, while near goal he was the most dangerous forward on the field.  The left wing certainly shaped in most promising fashion, though Davidson was not always happy in his drives inward.  But there was some semblance of combination in this portion of the front line, which has hitherto been lacking.  Fleetwood was a success in the centre, always bustling among the backs.  Jefferis played finely, for he drew the half-back most neatly before parting with the ball.  Beare responded alertly to the openings afforded, and taken all round the Everton team pleased more in this match than in any other game. 
Newcastle Notions.
Lawrence had no chance of stopping the two shots which beat him.  He had far more work to accomplish than the Everton custodian, and some of his saves from Burton and Jefferis were excellent.  Whitson was the outstanding personality in the defence.  His fine turn of speed, was repeatedly in evidence, and his tackling of the nippy wing to which he was opposed was beyond approach.  Of the half-backs, Willis was clever, and always well in touch with his forwards, not so obtrusive as of yore, and of the trio.  Kelly proved a promising centre forward, and he was the only man in the front rank was showed by his position to shoot.  Some of his attempts were very near the mark, and he was always in readiness to receive the centre from his wings.  As a line, however, the Tynesider’s front rank did not reach the heights of ability that we have become accustomed to expect.
The Goals
Everton’s goals were scored just before the interval and the finish of the game respectively, their left wing forwards being responsible for the points.  In the first half Beare led the way, and after the ball had been fisted out, a corner ensued from which Burton cleverly headed into the net.  After change of ends, Everton were the more dangerous side, but it was not until the last few minutes that, following smart work by Beare and Jefferis, the ball was sent clean across to Davidson, who drove it past Lawrence at a great pace.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Young, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton and Davidson.  Newcastle United; Lawrence; McCracken, Whitsun; Willis, Low, Hay; Duncan, Metcalfe, Kelly, Stewart, and Wilson.  Referee Rev J.W. marsh, Bury. 

October 2, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In fair weather or foul Newcastle United are welcome in Liverpool. The Novocastrian team stands for all that is stylish and scientific in football art, and it will be a sorry day for the game when the “Geordies” fall from their high estate. Luckily for other clubs, Newcastle's cleverness does not save them from being off colour just as much as their neighbours. Most clubs have some besetting sin; the Tynesiders often suffer from a superfluity of superiority, which tempts them to think less of actual scoring than indulging their taste for subtle finesse and dainty footwork. Now subtle finesse and dainty footwork. Now, Everton were out to win on Saturday, defence which was not only intrinsically clever, but in no mood for allowing their opponents to show off their polished methods with impunity. Newcastle “got there” several times, but they were much too deliberate about administering the coup de grace to Scott, for that prince of custodians should have bitten the dust twice at least/. On the first occasion the visitors treated the 25,000 spectators to an amazingly clever bout of pedal artistry which completely mystified the home defenders, and finally gave two of the forwards a perfect opening quite at close quarters to Scott, who had precious little room for averting disaster. With reckless nonchalance the invaders did everything they ought to have done, and so Scott had a kind of miraculous deliverance from certain defeat. It proved the turning point in the game, for Newcastle had thrown away the lead, which might have disheartened the Blues.

Elated by such an unexpected escape, the Blues replied with a most determined onslaught, which resulted in mixing up completely the Newcastle defence. The Blues were all over their opponents, and strongly entrenched in the goalmouth across which they swung the ball backwards and forwards until Burton turned a clever return of Beare's to account by directing the restless sphere into the net. We grumble often, and with reason, at much aimless flabby football nowadays, but the getting of the goal was bold and exhilarating, and roused the thousands of spectators to genuine enthusiasm. In the opening stages the home defenders were inclined to be a bit shaky, but as the game proceeded they got the measure of the Geordies, and so maintained their lead to the interval. Newcastle's methods of attack were more stylish than Everton's. Wilson was as usual, the most interesting unit the visitors' front line, and delighted with his dexterity, and originality; but his heart was not really in his work, and he seldom exerted himself beyond the point of easy-going manipulation. Of course, Wilson had a mastermind behind him in Hay. The Scottish international was by no means finely trained, and did the maximum of work with the minimum of effort, yet, like Wilson, he did not appear to take the game seriously; nevertheless he kept Everton's fiery right wing pretty cool.

Fleetwood is rapidly making a reputation as a general utility man, and after proving himself a trustworthy pivot he was promoted on Saturday to lead the attack. There is crudeness about Fleetwood, which enhances the value of his play, and suggest plenty of room for further development. Especially should be cultivating directness of method, because he seems inclined to go the longest way round and give his colleagues similar pilgrimages. Fleetwood should learn a little of Wilson's trickery and dexterity, and attack along the lines of least resistance, and thus concentrate his effort instead of distributing his forces in tactless fashions. Fleetwood is a diamond in the rough, and his energy originality, and enterprise could be moulded into something highly artistic, and prove most valuable assets. The executive should be well advised to allow the present combination an extended trial. A new left wing, which can beat Newcastle United, should have every chance to gain further distinction. In the second half Davidson scored Everton's second goal in most convincing style, and the Blues dual success was the direct outcome of both wings working in harmony. Burton's bold methods pleased even more than Davidson's and the inside man gave evidence of being a marksman of power and of an enterprising bent. In the matter of distribution Fleetwood is generosity itself; but he must cultivate more restraints and hold his wings together and then we shall see a much-improved line off attack. Of course Fleetwood found Low a very substantial shadow to escape from, and he was doubtless wise in anticipating the attentions of the great centre-half and parting with the ball instead of attempting uselessly to break through an impregnable defence. Bob Young played a robust game, but Low's towering figure was seen at every point of vantage and he was unquestionably the strong man of his team. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Whitson, backs, Willis, Low, and Hay, half-backs, Duncan, Metcalfe, Kelly, Stewart, and G. Wilson, forwards.

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton had rather an unfortunate experience at Sheffield on Saturday, and one cannot blink the fact that the team is by no means so well balanced as it ought to be. It is perfectly true that the United eleven are tough customers to deal with when operating on their own soil, but this scarcely affords a sufficient excuse for Everton's failure. In the opening stages of the encounter the visitors gave promise of putting up a sterling fight against their opponents, and it is only fair to say that the game throughout was never lacking in interest. Where the Evertonians failed was in the weakness of their forward line. During the first quarter of an hour they had at least three opportunities of finding the Sheffield net but on each of these Brooks managed to intercept the leather. Later on the Everton front line endeavored to pursue activities but they were rarely able to escape the vigilance of the home half-backs, who led by Wilkinson, hung with terrier like tenacity on to them. There was never any great disparity between the teams, but United were always the steadier side, and they thoroughly deserved the two points gained.

The game had been in progress less than ten minutes when the home side paved the way to victory. Evans flying down the wing, was upset with rather scant ceremony by Stevenson, and from the free kick Simmons scored with a well-directed shot that curled into the corner of the net. Then followed a period of pretty but futile football, and there was only a goal between the teams when they crossed over. The restart gave Sheffield a somewhat sensational goal. Connor from the centre line outstripped all opposition, and forced a corner. The place kick was perfect, and Evans meeting the ball with his head, scored a really brilliant goal. Having obtained a comfortable lead, the home side were content to take matters a little easily and Everton ought certainly to have roused themselves to a greater degree than they did. As it was the game proceeded rather tamely until ten minutes from time when a curious penalty gave them a goal. Beare was about to shoot within the prescribed area, when the Sheffield custodian deliberately held him, and the referee at once ordered a penalty kick . This was entrusted to Young, who scored with a shot that might have come from a gattling gum.

The Everton defence was all that could be desired, and Scott was in no way to blame for the two shots that passed him. The manner in which he intercepted at least two ground shots from Evans, probably the best forward on the field, evoked the admiration of the spectators. Macconnachie, happily fully restored to health and vigorous, played a wonderfully good game, and Makepeace and Harris had much to do in keeping out the home forwards. The front line was frankly, disappointing. There was neither that cohesion or dash which is essential for the getting of goals, and there will have to be a distinct improvement if they mean to improve their position in the League competition. Fleetwood was so closely watched by Wilkinson that his efforts were completely neutralised and the wings were scrappy in their work. Jefferis did several good things on his own account, but they counted for nothing; and neither Davidson nor Beare did themselves full justice. On Saturday's form the Sheffeilders must be regarded as a distinctly useful side. Wilkinson as we have indicated, was the dominating factor both in offence and defence. Brooks played an excellent game at full back, and Kitchen at centre forward kept his wings together with admirable judgement. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Leivesley goal, Smith, and Brooks, backs, Brelsford, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Connor, Hardinge, Kitchen, Simmons, and Evans, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris R. Young, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton and Davidson forwards. Referee A. Pellowe.

Athletic News - Monday 09 October 1911
The visitors to Goodison Park were Crewe Alexandra, and in the first half of the game they had quite as much of the play as their opponents.  Keen footwork was shown by both teams, but the respective defences prevailed until about ten minutes from the finish, when Gracie scored a couple of goals.  On the Crewe side, Box kept goal capitally, and the defence all round was very sturdy and vigorous on occasions.  Bracegirdle and Milward on the extreme wings were the pick of the forwards.  Everton deserved their victory by two clear goals. 

Athletic News - Monday 09 October 1911
Sheffield United 2, Everton 1
By Nemo
A crowd of fifteen thousand spectators, at Bramall-Lane saw a capital game in which both Sheffield United and Everton showed good football.  In the open there was little to choose between the teams, after the first few minutes, during which the Everton forwards flattered only to deceive, but taken on the whole I think the United were rather more resolute in defence and a trifle more efficient in attack.  Not one of the three goals that were scored came directly from that open combined play which is so pleasant to behold.  The Sheffielders, after having decidedly the worst of the early exchanges, got the first point as the result of a free kick for a foul by Stevenson on Evans.  The ball went to Simmons who, standing unmarked, lost no time in beating Scott with an oblique drive, though it seemed to me that the Everton custodian might have made a better effort to reach the ball.  The second goal also went to the credit of the Sheffielders.  It was obtained in the first minute of the second half from a corner kick, which Connor forced and took with exquisite accuracy, so that Evans, applying his head, turned the ball into the net.  The third goal went to console Everton in the closing stages of the struggle.  It was obtained from a penalty kick ten minutes from time.  Lievesley went out to pick up a long shot from the left and pushed Beare as the Everton right winger tried to secure the ball.  There was no appeal, but observing the unmistakable breach of rule, the referee promptly ordered a penalty from which Young scored. 
Everton Unfortunate
Everton had distinctly hard luck in finding themselves a goal behind in the first few minutes.  Previous to their opponents’ rather lucky opening goal the visitors’ forwards had greatly troubled the United defence, Davidson swinging in some fine centres from the left and Fleetwood and Burton each making two fine shots which rebounded from United defenders.  But the character of the game changed entirely after United had scored.  The visitors’ attack lost its sting while the Sheffielders settled down to give a good all round display. 
Macconnachie’s Fine Display
The backs on both sides played excellently.  Brooks was steady and judicious, and Smith , who modified the rashness which has sometimes marked his play in previous games, lost none of his efficiency by the changes, and kicked with safely and power.  But there was no better back on the field than Macconnachie, who displayed coolness, skill and the best of judgement.  At times he did things that reminded one of Howard Spencer.  While the half-backs on both sides played well, Sheffield was particularly well served in this department, Wilkinson breaking up many a promising movement, and Sturgess and Brelsford feeding their forwards very well.  Makepeace excelled their forwards very well.  Makepeace excelled among the Everton middlemen, but as a body the visitors’ trio generally found the home forwards too quick for them.  In beating the opposing middlemen, the Sheffield forwards were smart, Hardinge being prominent with very clever passing, but they found Stevenson and Macconnachie more difficult to pass.  Evans was conspicuous in the early stages of the game, and Kitchen later on.  On the Everton side, Beare and Jefferis made a better wing, but individually Davidson was as smart as any of the five.  After the first few minutes, when they played great football, the whole line fell off in a remarkable manner, and were never again so dashing and dangerous.  Fleetwood and Burton were both unfortunate in not scoring during that opening rush.  Sheffield United; Lievesley; Smith, Brooks; Brelsford, Wilkinson, Sturgess; Connor, Hardinge, Kitchen, Simmons and Evans.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Young, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton and Davidson.  Referee; Mr. A. Pellowe, Oldham. 

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton were full value for their points they earned at the expense of Crewe Alexandra. The contest throughout was keenly fought, and there was much good footwork from both sides, although the Everton forwards were inclined to overdo it, and thus render most of their preliminary work abortive. There was a remarkable evenness about the play in the initial half; and although there was no score when the interval arrived, the contest was full of interest. In the second moiety Everton was immeasurably superior to their opponents, but they did not make the most of their chances. The forwards worked out some splendid positions, but over-elaboration undid all their good work. Then the masterly custodianship of Box rendered futile many of the Everton forwards' finishing movements. Gracie eventually found the net with a fine shot, and just before the finish Smith, unfortunately for his side, put the ball through his own goal, in attempting to divert a short range shot from lacey. Bromilow had little opportunity to display his ability, being admirably covered by Meunier and Bardsley, and Allan and Weller played a capital half-back game. Gracie although he worked untiring was not a successful pivot. He bungled several excellent openings in the most aggravating fashion. Chedgzoy and Gault were clever, wingers while Lacey presence added to the effectiveness of the front line. Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Meunier and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Lacey, Gracie, Gourlay, and Gault, forwards.

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Two
Everton won their second round tie in the Lancashire Senior Cup pretty, at Preston against North End. The North Lancashire club in notoriously keen on doing well in this competition, but a clever all-round team handsomely beat them. Everton's forward combination was excellent and largely the reason of their success by a 4-1 margin. Moreover, the half-backs played admirably, both in defence and attack, while there was no fault to found with Meunier and Macconnachie. It is true that North End were without Thompson their centre-forward, for the greater part of the first half, but they really never looked like holding their rivals. There was a lack of understanding forward, and the defence at times left itself open to defeat. Everton made two changes Meunier took the place of Stevenson, who is suffering from a sprained ankle, and Jefferis who is at Stoke, Lacey playing in his place. Preston kicked off, and advanced on the right. J. W. Thompson shot across the goal, Kirby was nicely placed, when he shot against Macconnachie. Fleetwood foraged hard, and was provided with a glorious opening by Davidson, half a dozen yards from the goal, but he hesitated and allowed McCall to beat him. Play was evenly distributed though Scott was not troubled, while on the other hand McBride had to run out to kick clear as Fleetwood dashed in, Macconnachie performed finely, holding the Preston men in hand. Meantime the Preston team were only playing four forwards, Thompson having gone off the field through an injury to his eye. Everton were the clever side in nearly all departments. They were very keen, and after twenty-five minutes they took the lead. Beare out in a difficult long shot, which McBride handled, round the post. Direct from the flag kick Burton headed into the net. Very soon afterwards Lacey scored a second and then a third. Everton's combination and passing was far superior to that of North End. Lacey, and Fleetwood ran in past Rodway, and the former shot into the net after thirty-five minutes. Five minutes later he repeated this performance with a swift ground shot. Beare lost the ball, but Lacey raced across, secured possession from Wareing and centred beautifully. Again Burton did the trick with a header, and Everton led 4-0 at the interval. The first half resolved itself, into a duel between five clever forwards, whose passing was accurate and opportunism exceedingly smart. The North End defence went to pieces, and McBride was not free from blame. He might have saved two of the goals. Thompson turned out in the second half. Resuming Everton were soon attacking, and Davidson had a hard shot charged down, Burton had a good try from long range, which was wide of the mark. Again Davidson was in the picture with a brilliant dash which almost brought a goal, the ball cannoning off Rodway. Nothing came of the corner, and North End made one of their few attacks. R. Thompson making a wretched attempt. Val Harris had a shot from 25 yards range, the ball serving and missing the post by inches with McBride beaten. Davidson and Fleetwood were badly fouled by Rodway. Everton eased up, and Preston North End had more of the game, but their forward line lacked finish. R. Thompson scored their only goal. Result Preston North End 1, Everton 4. Teams: - Preston North End: - McBride, goal, English, and Rodway, backs, Johnson, McCall, and W. Wareing, half-backs, J.W. Thompson, Green, R. Thompson, Kirby and R.F. Turner, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Meunier, and Macconachie (Captain), backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Lacey, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Referee Mr. Pellow (Oldham).

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 10 October 1911
Preston yesterday, in fine weather, before 2,000 spectators. Everton were the superior team, and led at the interval by four goals, scored by Burton (two) and Lacey (two). In the second portion of the game play mostly favoured Everton. The home men broke away on the left R. Thompson scoring from Turner's centre. McCall was injured, but soon resumed. A moderate game ended in favour of Everton. result; Everton four goals, Preston North End one goal.

Athletic News - Monday 16 October 1911
Southend United have set aside the receipts of the match with Ilford on Saturday for the benefit of George Molyneux, the old captain of the club.  Molyneux, like J.W. Sutcliffe and a few others who are still playing is a link with the past generation of footballers.  Born in Liverpool in 1876, he came to his football maturity with the Everton club, but he is better remembered in the South from his association with Southampton.  While with the “Saints” he was selected to play against Scotland.  This was in 1902, and in the following year he played in all the International matches, while he also took part in South v. North and Amateurs v  Professionals of the South game.  His connection with Southend United dates from 1906 and he captained the team which won the championship of the Second Division of the Southern league in the season 1906-07 and 1907-08. 

Athletic News - Monday 16 October 1911
Everton 1, Oldham Athletic 1
By Junius
Oldham Athletic more than deserved more than deserved their share of the spoil at Goodison Park.  In a game which was wanting in skill and cleverness they fully merited a division of the honours, and were doubtless well satisfied with the acquisition of a point.  That they did not win outright is a matter for which they can only hold themselves responsible, for they met Everton in a disorganized state, and under conditions which may only occasionally occur.
Forward Fancies
The Oldham front rank was a much more effective line than the Everton forward division, for Jones was a capable pivot, imbued with well-conceived ideas of feeding his wings, and displaying excellent notions of making his way toward goal.  Nothing better could be wished for than the accurate centres of Donnachie, and his flag kicks were wonderfully correct.  At one period of the game he placed three in succession so close to Scott that the keeper had to be content with tipping the ball over the cross-bar.  Everton were a frail force in attack, and Fleetwood was never in touch in attack, and Fleetwood was never in touch with the proceedings at any period of the game.  Little support was forthcoming from the men on either side of him, for Jefferis was very weak, his passing being ill-timed and devoid of purpose.  Burton was seldom seen, and the best work came from the extreme wingers, Beare and Davidson.  In the first half the latter sent across some delightful centres, which merited as better fate than they received, and the outside right was responsible for many neat bits of work.  But the line as an attacking force was invertebrate and utterly unreliable. 
Dour Defenders.
Whatever qualities of merit were displayed by the Everton team must be apportioned to their rear division.  Harris played a sound game at right half-back, but the intermediate trio failed to maintain touch with their forwards.  I doubt whether it was their fault, for the men in front of them shaped so wretchedly with the chances that were afforded them that there was more than adequate cause for complaint on the part of the half-backs.  These latter foraged finely to take advantage of the openings which came their way.  Scott had a few shots to stop, and on the whole did well, while the defence of Stevenson and Macconnachie was by no means wavering.  Yet the fact remains that Everton played poor football, and they never conveyed the impression that they could score goals.  Their antiquated methods of moving on the Oldham citadel were met by the ordinary resistance of a zealous set of defenders and pulverized to a dusty death which was well merited.  Oldham were presented by a whole-hearted rear rank, in which the half-back line bore off the chief credit.  Moffatt gave a sound exhibition, but no fault could be found with Walders or Wilson, for the pair kept a strict watch on their forwards, and were likewise always in readiness to assist the men behind them.  Hodson was in fine form at full back, his powerful returns being a great asset to his side.  Matthews had little to do in goal –a result due more to the wretched weakness of the Everton forwards than the excellence of his own defenders.  Oldham I should imagine, will fare well in the League, for they are a combined eleven; they play together as a team and not as a collection of irresponsible units, and herein lies their strength.
The Two Thrills
Everton scored in the first half just before the interval, after an even period of struggling.  A centre from Beare was being met by Burton when one of the Oldham backs overstepped the bounds of prudence and a penalty was awarded, from which Young scored.  Shortly after the change of ends Moffat equalized with a fine individual effort, and subsequently Scott saved a brilliant shot from Donnachie.  Chances of winning came to both teams, but these were ignored, and at the finish Oldham claimed their first point gained in league warfare in Liverpool.  They deserved it, and even had they won I fancy no one would have found much fault with the verdict.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Young, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood,, Burton, and Davidson.  Oldham Athletic; Matthews; Hodson, Buxton; Moffat, Walders, Wilson; Broad, Marrison, Jones, Montgomery, and Donnachie.  Referee; Mr. W.C. Clover, Leicester. 

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 16 October 1911
At Goodison Park, Liverpool, in fine though dull weather. Everton were at full strength, and Oldham were without Cook. Play for a time was evenly distributed, both keepers being called on. The visitors were, perhaps the more dangerous side, and once forced four corners in succession. Later Everton were awarded a penalty and R. Young scored from the kick. Interval; Everton 1 goal, Oldham none. Resuming before 12,000 people, Oldham were early aggressive and Donnachie and Jones narrowly missed, whilst at the other end Davidson had a chance which he allowed to slip. The visitors played with great dash, and Moffatt equalized. Scott saved brilliantly from Donnachie. The visitors were the most dangerous side in the second half. Result; Everton 1 goal, Oldham Athletic one goal.

October 16 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The tussle between the lusty “Babes” and the luckless Blue fulfilled anticipations. Oldham have a reputation, and they fully justified it on Saturday, as they bustled the Toffees about rustlessly by means of vigorous methods and ceaseless worrying. It was easy to see Everton were the more polished lot, but they were distinctly weak in the centre. Young and Fleetwood have defects in common, and the faster the pace the less effective these deliberate players are. The result of slow thinking and lumbersome action in a centre forward is extremely difficult to neutralise by other more desirable qualities. It was hoped Fleetwood would develop more craft, alertness, and keenness in his new position, but up to date he remains the slowest man of a pretty fast line. Fleetwood did many admirable things on Saturday, and the careful feeding of his wings gave his colleagues all the freedom they could desire. His nomadic tendencies, however, did not promote the necessary cohesion, and hence the attack was frequently finessing to regain advantage, which had been practically frittered away. A centre forward who is slow to see his chances must necessary always be late in endeavouring to profit by them. Everton certainly want more dash and initiative in the centre.

The “ Latics” are certainly a useful, well-balanced side, but they have little method, and lose quality. But they understand how to keep moving, and make others move. Donnachie is their best forward, and he was the best on the field in the midst of a crowd of mediocrities at any rate, Oldham's left winger showed more enterprise than any of the Blues, and his placing of three successive corner kicks was so cunningly accurate as to astonish the spectators. His shooting throughout was powerful, skilful, and judicious. Broad sprints well, and controls the ball neatly, but he usually finishes in a fog. Jones boasts international honours, and was transferred last winter from Chelsea. He did not shine much owing to Bob Young's attention and the fact that Donnachie was plied too well. The half-backs proved a tireless trio, and were splendidly supported by two capable backs. The Everton wings were always promptly challenged and partinaciously worried off the ball. Burton proved a most capable back. He has a neat compact frame, and carries no lumber though his weight is 11 st 10lbs. Jefferis and Beare found Burton fearless and adept opponents, who saw to it that neither of the Blues shot with comfort.

It has previously been suggested that the Blues' weakness lay in inability to keep their line of attack taut when they had manceurved themselves into a favourable position. There was usually just sufficient hesitancy and dalliance to allow either Hodson or Buxton to break in, and that meant to break up the line for all particaly purposes, for it the ball came Fleetwood's way he preferred to pass it back, or somewhere else, rather than dash through or shoot on his shoot on his own account. The centre forward invariably needs plenty of confidence as well as a strong flavour of venturesomeences. On both sides there was plenty of fast work, because the six halves were all grafters, but their tireless energy played as with the attack, and tore the combination on both sides to ribbons. About ten minutes from the interval the Blues made a sudden raid, sailing in really capital formation until the penalty area was reached when Burton fell a victim to Hodson's robustiousness. Mr. Clover promptly awarded the Blues a verdict, of a penalty kick , with the result that Bob Young scored his fifth penalty goal without a misfire.

The interval arrived without the “Latics” getting on level terms, and Everton were certainly on velvet in holding the lead. It was only nature that the game should slacken somewhat in the second moiety, for the first “forty-five “ had been more then strenuous Macconachie who had stalled off the irrepressible Broad repeatedly up to the interval, now showed signs of flagging. After several abortive ventures into Everton territory. Broad succeeded with the assistance of Jones and Morrison in stalling off the home defenders. Moffatt was well up amongst his forwards when the ball came his way, and the sharp-witted half showed splendid alertness in making his way towards Scott in double quick time, and propelling the ball past the latter into the net at a most difficult oblique angle. It served to emphasize the fact that all the “Latics” were keenly alive to possibilities. Up to this point the “Babes” were flagging a bit, but Moffatt's goal acted like a magic tonic which so revived their energies that for some time Everton were quite unable to effectually resist their fierce onslaughts, which frequently culminated in bouts of capital short passing, and threatened to overwhelm the disconcerted Blues. Scott was in great jeopardy, but his incomparable skill and dexterity carried him safely through a pretty stiff ordeal. At no period of the game had the Blues exhibited such superiority, and so a division of points was a soon not to be sneezed at. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal Stevenson and Macconnachie (Captain) backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace, half-backs Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews goal, Hodgson, and Buxton, backs Moffatt, Walders, and Wilson, half-backs, Broad, Martson, Jones, Evans, Montgomery, and J. Donnachie, forwards. Referee W. C. Clover.

October 16, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Although Everton scored the first goal at Oldham (Pinkney), they were eventually well beaten by 5 goals to 2. The game was a keen one, and both sides indulged in some capital footwork . Everton: - Bromilow goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Weller and Grenyer, half-backs Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner, Gourlay, and Gault, forwards.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 23 October 1911
The fixture between the reserve teams of Bolton Wanderers and Everton at Goodison Park, provided a fine game of football. Pinkney scored for the home team early on, but Bolton then replied with three within seven minutes by Hughes, and Egerton (two) -but just before the interval Gracie reduced the leeway. Afterwards Magner (two) and Pinkney scored for Everton, who prevailed by 5 goals to 3. For the winners Bardsley defended well, but Seddon was not very noticeable. Weller, Gault, and Chedgzoy were prominent in attack. On the Bolton side, Tyldesley, Slater, A. Gimblett, and Hughes were the best.

Athletic News - Monday 23 October 1911
The fixture between the reserve teams of Bolton Wanderers and Everton, at Goodison Park, provided a fine game of football. Pinkney scored for the home team early on, but Bolton then replied with three within seven minutes –by Hughes and Egerton (two) –but just before the interval Gracie reduced the leeway.  Afterwards Magner (two) and Pinkney scored or Everton, who prevailed by 5 goals to 3.  For the winners, Bardslay defended well, but Seddon was not very noticeable.  Weller, Gault and Chedgzoy were prominent in attack.  On the Bolton side, Tyldsley, Slater, A. Gimblett, and Hughes were the best. 

Athletic News - Monday 23 October 1911
Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton 2
By Harricus.
When Bolton Wanderers secured four successive wins their supporters were inclined to the opinion that there was really little difference in the standard of play in the two Divisions.  But the last four matches have not produced a victory, and the –unkindest cut of all came on Saturday when Everton took away both points from Burnden Park in the presence of quite 20,000 spectators, who may perhaps now be reconsidering their views as to the merits of the Wanderers.  Yet the real facts of the latest failure to win must be recorded, for it must be a serious handicap to a club to be deprived of the services of a player after twelve minutes of the game has passed, and surely after having had the best of the second half with only ten men it is hard luck to be beaten in the last five minutes by one of the simplest goals imaginable.  And yet these are the facts.  Hunter’s injury was due to his falling to the ground after tackling Macconnachie.  The back did no wrong, but Hunter came down heavily on his head, and I feared a serious injury to his neck, but he must have caught his knee sharply on the ground, for it seen it required attention and he was carried off on the back of the trainer.  He returned later, but it was only for a few minutes, and for practically the whole of the match Hilton played on the right wing by himself. 
The Brilliance of Beare
If Bolton had the best of the play, then why did they lose?  First and foremost William Scott must be given great credit for keeping the Wanderers’ score down to one goal, secondly a bungle accounted for the winning goal, and thirdly four forwards could not do the work of five – they did an excellent four-fifths of it all the same.  Everton’s forward line was scarcely recognizable, and I am afraid that they are much below the recognized Everton standard.  If Saturday’s quintette are the best at the disposal of the club, I can only say that the Everton directors are more easily satisfied than they used to be.  The best of the line was Beare; indeed he was the smartest forward on the field.  His play in the first half was really brilliant against two fine defenders in Barber and Feebery.  He possessed all the nippiness of Berry and the accuracy of Sharp; indeed his trickiness and centring were truly admirable, while Jefferis made some neat passes to him.  In the second half Harris got hurt and he went outside right, this moving Beare inside and bringing Jefferis half-back.  This appeared to be a mistake in tactics, but as Everton won why grumble?  Lacey worked hard in the centre, though he was often offside, but the left wing pair might have done better.  Harris was the least conspicuous of the half-backs, he being completely outshone by Young and Makepeace in fact.  The County cricketer was in fine form, and I believe he would have been just as successful had he been opposed by a full wing, while Young with different methods also performed his part well.  The Scot looks a determined sort of fellow, and is indeed in great earnest right to the end.  The two backs differ in style; Macconnachie we know of course, to be a man of polish, though on Saturday his kicking lacked power, while Stevenson is robust, and does not hesitate to put the ball into touch when hard pressed.
Scott’s Skill
Scott was a great man in goal and saved all manner of shots, and two saves from Barber in the second half in particular were fine clearances, giving a corner in each instance by bringing the ball over his head.  Scott is indeed as good as ever.  On the other hand I am sorry to say that Edmondson besmirched his reputation on his return to the team when he allowed the winning goal to pass him.  He was even jeered at as he left the field, but I expect these alleged sportsmen forget how many times Bolton would have been beaten but for the fine custodianship of the man they reviled on Saturday.  Up to this incident Edmondson certainly did well.  There had been several changes in the side from the previous week, and one of the new men, Feebery, was the best back on the field, his tackling being sound and his returns marked with excellent judgment.  Baverstock, like Edmondson, lost caste in that fatal last five minutes, and the half-back in front of him, Marsh, was the least prominent of the trio.  Fay does not take the eye and tickle the crowd like Greenhalgh, but his judgment was excellent, while Barber gave a very sound display.  He appears to be able to extricate himself from a difficulty in the least possible space; he fed the forwards well and shot like a forward.  As usual Smith and Vizard were the most dangerous men in attack.  Smith was always good, and Vizard excelled in the second half.  Bentley might have done better; he used to be very dangerous in front of goal when I saw him with Derby County, and of course Hilton could not be expected to do the work of two men.  Although the Wanderers were out of luck, one must give Everton credit for their victory, as they were very smart in the first half if they were outplayed afterwards.  At any rate, they scored oftener than the Wanderers, and I like the club that scores most goals.  They win.  The Wanderers, though opened the way in the scoring department, for after 17 minutes Smith got through, but with about a quarter of an hour to go lacey made the scores equal, and so the game stood until the bungle between Baverstock and Edmondson allowed Burton to roll the ball through the goal.  Bolton Wanderers; Edmondson; Baverstock, Feebery; Marsh, Fay, Barber; Hunter, Hilton, Bentley, Smith, and Vizard.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Young, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Lacey, Burton, and Davidson.  Referee; Mr. T. Robertson, Glasgow. 

October 23, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
When victory crowns the efforts of a team, it is generally considered ungracious to mention any qualification. The province of the critic, however, is to try, so far as in himself to give a cogent and well reasoned summing up of the game. This is not always a pleasant duty, but it is one which accredited writers rarely shirk. On the present occasion there is fortunately no necessity to decry Everton's performances, but we must certainly quality it by saying that the two points were rather luckily earned. The Wanderers were almost always as good as their opponents, and in the second half particularly they played such a bustling game that the visitors' defence was more than once rudely shaken. It must further be remembered that they were without the services of Hunter for nearly the whole of the game, that player having injured his head while jumping at the ball with Stevenson. With their front rank out of gear they struck pluckily to their game, and but for a misunderstanding between Edmondson and Baverstock five minutes from time, the game would no doubt have terminated as it should have done –in a draw.

The opening stages of the game were all in favour of the Evertonians, Jefferis being early conspicuous with two delightful shots. Another from Lacey went wrong, and Bolton, getting down made matters very warm for both the visitors' backs, Smith wriggling through, missed an open goal, but a moment later he made very ample mends by scoring with a swift low shot. As the game progressed the pace increased agreeably, and Lacey, in spite of a tendency to lie too far back, sent in a couple of tremendous drives that might well have scored. However, he was destined to reap his reward, as ten minutes from the interval he took a pass from the right wing and scored a perfect goal.

On crossing over the Wanderers as we have already indicated proceeded to play aggressive football, and more than once it looked as though they might sweep both Stevenson and Macconnachie aside. Their work, however, disjointed as it was through the absence of Hunter, was ineffective in its finish, and whenever Scott was called upon, he did his duty admirably. So it was that the sides were on level terms until within a few minutes of time. Then the Evertonians who had slightly rearranged their line of attack, got down, and Burton scored. It was what is generally called in football parlance a “soft” goal, but, of course, it counted.

Naturally principal interest attached to the first appearance of Lacey in the centre forward position. Let it at once be said that his debut was all things considered, a satisfactory one. Apart from the fault to which we have already alluded, he distributed the ball well, and showed a positive appetite for shooting whenever an opportunity offered. It would be hard to judge him by one performance, but that the Irishman has football in him there cannot be the slightest doubt. Both the backs played well, and Harris and Makepeace did a rare amount of work. Jefferis was the pick of the forwards, though he seemed a little over anxious. Burton was occasionally clever, and this observation may be applied with equal truth to Davidson, but the forward line as a whole still left something to be desired.
The Boltonians are a brisk and energetic lot, and it is a question whether Barber the left half-back, was not the most brilliant player on the field. Baverstock played a typical game, and Vizard once again took everyone's eye, whilst Smith and Hilton both proved themselves serviceable inside men.

Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Edmonson, goal, Baverstock, and Feebury, backs, Marsh, Fay, and Barber half-backs, Hunter, Hilton, Bentley, Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, R. Young and Makepeace, half-backs Beare, Jefferis, Lacey, Burton and Davidson forwards. Referee T. Robinson.

October 23 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton gave a highly satisfactory exhibition and gained a clever victory at the expense of Bolton Wanderers. The game opened in very brisk and exciting fashion, for four goals were scored within the first ten minutes, and the remarkable ease with which the Wanderers scored their three goals, after Everton had opened the scoring though Pinkney suggested that the Wanderers could put the ball into the net as and when they liked. However, Everton quickly recovered from their fright and before the interval Gracie notched Everton's second point. In the second period the Wanderers were completely outplayed and although their defence got through a tremendous amount of work, creditably they were forced to yield to superior tactics. Then Everton scored through Pinkney and Magner (twice) and eventually won a comfortable margin. J. Seddon, who lately did duty with Tranmerer Rovers occupied the left full back position in the Blues eleven and gave a very creditable performance. Although he lacks inches, he possesses pace, and displays good judgement. Weller did splendid service in the intermediate line, and Chedgzoy and Gault best represented the forwards. The inside trio Pinkney, Magner, and Gracie –mulled several fine openings in the initial half, but afterwards they made ample amends for their shortcomings . Everton: - Berry goal, J. Seddon, and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner, Gracie, and Gault, forwards.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 23 October 1911
The fixture between the reserve teams of Bolton Wanderers and Everton at Goodison Park, provided a fine game of football. Pinkney scored for the home team early on, but Bolton then replied with three within seven minutes by Hughes, and Egerton (two) -but just before the interval Gracie reduced the leeway. Afterwards Magner (two) and Pinkney scored for Everton, who prevailed by 5 goals to 3. For the winners Bardsley defended well, but Seddon was not very noticeable. Weller, Gault, and Chedgzoy were prominent in attack. On the Bolton side, Tyldesley, Slater, A. Gimblett, and Hughes were the best.

October 24 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Three.
By the narrow margin of two goals to one, Everton made their exit from the Lancashire Senior Cup against Manchester United, at Old Trafford, yesterday. In some respect the Blues were unfortunate not to secure a draw at the lowest estimate for throughout the second half they were without the services of Robert Young, who badly twisted his knee. As a matter of fact, the accident occurred in the first fifteen minutes, and greatly handicapped the player, though he pluckily stayed on the field, but was quite unfit to resume after the interval. Manchester United were minus the services of Turnbull for a short time. At full strength throughout the second portion, they failed to improve upon their goal lead. The Everton forwards made few attacks, and indeed, all their efforts seemed to be concentrated on preventing a big margin of goals being recorded against them. It would perhaps have been wise to take some risks in defence with a view to pleasing home attacks for the equalising. For a Lancashire Cup-tie the football was of a very high standard, both sets of forwards showing cleverness in opening out attacks. Still there was a fatal inability near goal. United in particular had a number of glorious chances in the closing stages, but their shooting was weak and pretty footwork was overdone. The Everton defence came through a gruelling second half with credit. Scott gave particularly fine exhibitions. Occasionally Stevenson and Macconnachie were prone' to dally with the ball in front of their own goal, but both acquitted themselves well. Allan and Grenyer filled places vacated by Harris and Makepeace respectively, with credit, Grenyer doing well against the redoubtable Meredith. Beare was easily the best forward. In the first half he simply left Donnelly standing and was unlucky to have his perfect centres ill-used. On the United side, Holden and Duckworth were prominent in defence. Meredith was brilliant, and West did a lot of foraging work, and was always dangerous near goal. For the first ten minutes of the first half little was done, Everton had the wind, but United worked the more likely opening. Some beautiful passing by the Everton left wing placed Fleetwood in a glorious position. He shot wretchedly over the bar, but as a matter of fact this near approach to a goal encouraged Everton to redouble their efforts. Beare kept beating Donnelly and middling the ball perfectly. Unfortunately; Lacey and Burton frittered away openings. Two remarkably fine saves by Scott prevented United from taking the lead from the first really dangerous advance. Wall forced a corner off Stevenson, and the ball was headed to Meredith, whose shot Scott scooped out to West. The centre smartly returned to the other side of the goal, but Scott was equal to the occasion, and jumping across handled the ball out for Macconnachie to kick clear. This was a fortunate escape in more than one sense, because Grenyer switched the ball out to Beare, who veered into the centre and scored with a lovely screw shot. Lacey might easily have put on another, but missed the ball as it rolled across the goalmouth. Everton were quite the superior team at this stage of the game. As soon as the Everton defence began to take things easily. Manchester forced matters, and Halse scored with a rare drive into the far corner. West was an earnest worker, Scott saving a fast drive and a surprise header. Both the reserve half-backs Allan, and Grenyer, performed well, the latter holding grimsy to Meredith. There was a sensational incident just before the interval. With Scott out of his goal, every Manchester forwards attempted to score, with the exception of Turnbull. Macconnachie made an almost superhuman save, but West atoned for these blunders by giving United the lead from Wall's centre just on the interval. Everton soon felt their handicap in the second half. Fleetwood dropped into Young's position, and for some time the Blues were wholly on the defensive. Tremendous shots by Meredith and West were charged down. West also struck the bar, and Scott saved a header from Turnbull. Everton had lucky escapes, and could not get past the half-way line. West missed an open goal, and United at this time with holding their opponents pretty cheaply. Their attempts to score were exceedingly tame, however, as instance a bad miss by Bell with the goal untenanted. Allan saved a certain goal, and Halse shot wildly over. Everton continued to occupy the role of defenders, what time United pressed in front of goal and generally wasted openings. The visiting forwards were indifferently fed, Beare, who had done so well in the first half being neglected. The only incidents in a game that sadly deteriorated were injuries to Grenyer and Macconnachie. A corner to Everton was useless, but the referee spoiled one opening in the same attack that might have brought the equaliser. Teams: - Manchester United: - Edmonds goal, Holden and Donnelly, backs Duckworth, Whalley and Bell, half-backs, Meredith, Halse West, Turnbull, and West, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Allan R. Young, and Grenyer, half-backs Beare, Fleetwood, Lacey, Burton and Davidson. Forwards. Referee Mr. Hargreaves. (Blackpool).

Dundee Courier - Friday 27 October 1911
Forfar Athletic did a good stroke of business yesterday in fixing up Dorward, the ex- Everton and Montrose player. Dorward has just returned from the States, where has been residing during the past year. It will be remembered that he was the player who was transferred to Everton from Montrose, and for whom the Gable-Endies received the tidy sum of £100. Dorward a robust forward player and a fine shot. Forfar will play him jn one of the inside positions, and his inclusion should greatly strengthen the " Loons'" forward division.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 30 October 1911
Bradford City's experience at Everton was somewhat novel, although there was a memorable occasion five years ago when they were beaten at Goodison Park by a last minute goal in a Cup-tie. With that exception the Valley Paraders had always obtained one or more League points from their meetings with Everton. They have only themselves to blame that they did not share the points on Saturday. It was a flucky goal which decided this issue in Everton's favour, and from the writer's view of the occurence it certainly appeared that there was justification in the City's claim that the scorer was off-side. But even that questionable goal would have given Everton the verdict of Bradford City had taken advantage of their earlier op[portunities. The visitors played well enough to have had the game in hand at half-time, and would have had but for Bond's hessstitancy in shooting on one occasion when he had the goal at his mercy. Both sides played football of a genuinely fine quality, but it was Everton's game in the second half and the honours at the finish were deservedly theirs. Everton were making experiments in their forward line, and Gourlay who was the fifth centre forward whom they have tried this season, after havinbg his confidence shaken early on by the buferings he received from Torrance, recovered himself as the game advanced, and finished the hardest worker on the field. In point of merit and valuable service, however, no man won the home side equalled Davidson, the winger, who showed pace and a facility for quick turning that often had the defence of Robinson in difficulties. Bradford City did not shine much individually but up to half-time their methods were so effective, and there was such earnestness about the work of the whole side that they looked all over a winning team. The subsequent failure of their forwards to swing the ball about as they had done previously was due to the rally of the home half backs. makepeace fairly had the measures of Bond all through the game, and in the long run Logan who had been the most dangerous of the inside forwards, was rendered ineffective by the stubbornness of Fleetwood.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 30 October 1911
Burslem Port Vale just managed to overcom the Reserves of Everton by the odd goal in three, after a moderate game at Cobridge. The striking feature of the play was the feeble and ill-directed efforts of both sets of forwards, open goals being missed by Everton and the home nteam alike. Shelton failed to score from a penalty for Burslem in the first half, and the opening score, two minutes after the change of ends, was due to Weller, the Everton centre half, kicking the ball through his own goal. It was a clever effort by Cannon which scored Burslem's second point, and Everton's only goal was obatined by Gracie, who did very little else during the afternoon.

October 30, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In the ordinary course of events, Bradford City should have proved a big draw on Saturday to lovers of football in Liverpool. Truth to tell, however, the equality of football which has been served up this season at Goodison Park and Anfield has been such as is calculated to destroy the popularity of the game. We hear complaints that the standard of the football has deteriorated and that players nowadays are not zealous in their profession; yet on the other hand clubs have visited us who have played good, honest football, so the charge of indifference does not apply all round. At patient analysis of the case of our two premier organisations would probably disclose the fact that the main cause of weak and unsatisfactory play is due to one or two positions being badly filled. There is no doubt that Erverton's bete noire is the centre forward position. Sandy Young and Freeman proved themselves exceptionally gritted players, and hence the sudden descent to mediocrity has held the position somewhat up to ridicule. On Saturday Fleetwood retired in favour of Gourlay, who was thus afforded an opportunity of making a reputation –bubble of otherwise. The only favourable comment, which can be honestly made about Everton's latest “trial centre”, is that the blues secured a very lucky victory. The Blues' wing work and midfield finesse was of good quality; but Gourlay could not keeps his line in hand when it came to finishing, and so the inside trio were frequently rousted by Taylor and Campbell, a couple of stout hearted, cool headed reliable backs. A little adroit, confident manipulation of the ball and a strong finishing shot would have made a world of difference when good position had been successfully battled for.

Although the pivot of attack was seldom there at the “psychological moment” the forward line did quite well enough to merit commendation. Their methods were dainty and artistic, but without being convincing. Beare was even more prominent than usual with graceful, effective manipulation. There was much to please the eye generally, but good hard shooting was seldom indulged in on either side, though both custodians were in jeopardy at times. Bradford's combination was many superiors to Everton's and there seemed a nice understanding throughout their ranks, but, like Everton the Tykes were poor finishers and seemed unable to recognise the true strength of their position. O'Rourke played a dashing game, but with only Scott to beat three shot erratically. Bond was in good form, and there were some grand triangular duels between him, Makepeace and Macconnachie. The little man accomplished some charming centres, but his shooting was somewhat feeble. Davidson gave one of best exhibitions and scored the solitary goal, which gave victory to the Blues. Many are the admires of Everton's graceful left-winger, who is the poetry of motion itself and although artist well with the ball, and one who seldom resorts to aggressive tactics. His long strides and dexterity with the ball often perplexed Robinson and Campbell, and enabled him to centre the ball from the corner flag with unerring accuracy.

The first half was resolutely contested, both teams finessing energetically in the outfield, even if they proved impotent in the goal area. The pace was fast, but sad to say, it was a case of much ado about nothing. To do the Tykes justice, they were more effective and enterprising than their host, yet flattered but to deceive when it was necessary to exert themselves in real earnest. The interval arrivals without profit to either side, and with little prospect of either custodian being pestered. Bradford had practically shot their bolt when they returned, for they had not spared themselves in trying to run the home halves off their feet. Makepeace and Harris were in fine form and fairly reveled in their work even though they were occasionally well trounced by the lively boys from Manningham. Fleetwood had a heavy task in the centre, and after starting some what erratically he settled down to steady, judicious work and acquitted himself admirably. Although the forward work on both sides was not nearly incisive enough, there were numerous sterling bouts of play marked by capital combination and sharp decisive evolution, but seldom did such culminate in a slashing attack on the respective citadels. So many obvious chances had quite failed to eventuate that a draw seemed the only conclusion possible with the forwards in such a tickle frame of mind. But once again the unexpected happened. A quarter of an hour from the end a volley of Macconnachie's put the home left in action, whose judicious cross brought the whole Everton line into action, with the City defence holding out signals of distress. Beare, and Jefferis could not find a clear opening through the Bradford defenders being driven back almost to the goalmouth. Luckily Beare decided to cross the leather to the left and the ball happened to drop smugly for Davidson to pilot past Mellors. It was a well contested goal, ever though Davidson ran some risk of being ruled offside. Thus did Everton win cleverly at the finish, and by the victory as well as their improved play reinstate themselves in the good graces of their supporters. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Gourlay, Burton Davidson forwards. Bradford City: - Mellors, goal, Campbell, and Taylor backs, Robinson, Torrance and MacDonald, half-backs, Bond Logan, O'Rourke, Blair, and Thompson forwards.

October 30, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton were soundly beaten at Burslem. There was a clean sheet at the interval, but afterwards the home side had matters all their own way, and won in decisive fashion. Berry saved a penalty kick; given for a foul on Murray, and Gracie scored Everton's orphan point. Everton now occupy the lowest position in the table. Everton: - Berry goal, Patterson, and R. Balmer backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney Gracie, Doran and Gault forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 30 October 1911
Burslem Port Vale just managed to overcome the Reserves of Everton by the odd goal in three after a moderate game at Cobridge.  The striking feature of the play was the feeble and ill-directed efforts of both sets of forwards, open goals being missed by Everton and the home team alike.  Shelton failed to score from a penalty for Burslem in the first half, and the opening score, two minutes after the change of ends, was due to Weller, the Everton centre-half-back, kicking the ball through his own goal.  It was a clever effort by Cannon which scored Burslem’s second point, and Everton’s only goal was obtained by Gracie, who did very little else during the afternoon. 

Athletic News - Monday 30 October 1911
Everton 1, Bradford City 0
By Junius
For the first time in their career as a First Division club, Bradford City met with defeat at Goodison Park.  Their encounters with Everton on this enclosure have been most stubbornly contested, and one goal has in each instance marked the limit of the scoring capacity of the respective forwards.  In their three previous appearances at the Everton headquarters, the Yorkshire team had won 1-0 and drawn 0-0 and 1-1; results which conclusively show how evenly matched the rivals have always been.  Nor did the most recent meeting of the teams prove an exception to the general rule, for one goal decided the issue and this went to Everton.  The deciding point caused much discussion as to its legality; in fact, the goal appeared to me as palpably off-side that I adjourned to the referee’s sanctum after the match to gain an official pronouncement thereon.  The goal came after half an hour’s play in the second half, in this wise; Beare secured from a series of midfield exchanges, and ran well down before placing across to the Everton left wing.  His pass appeared to go forward to Davidson, who was unmarked, and the result was an easy goal.  Mr. Kenny’s version of the incident was that Beare thrust the ball backwards to Davidson, thereby making the extreme left-winger on side, and it is also asserted by some of the Everton forwards that the ball glanced off the Bradford left half-back’s foot in transit.  Both linesmen corroborated the referee’s statement.  This goal was off the utmost importance, seeing that it decided the destination of the honours, and meant the establishment of a new record for Everton, and the wrecking of a creditable sequence of successes for Bradford.
Anemic Advances
The display of the Everton forwards was neither better nor worse than had been anticipated.  Gourlay was given a trial in the centre, and he certainly infused plenty of energy into his work, which merits some commendation.  Beyond that nothing need be asserted.  Those who looked for concerted action in the front rank, and a sympathetic working between the wing men and their connecting link in the centre, must have strained their vision in endeavoring to discern even the faintest shadow of such maneuvering.  There actually was one instance when the left wing and Gourlay went down in a manner that called for approbation.  It was near the interval when Burton opened out the play to Davidson; the latter passed neatly to the inside man in return, and after a couple of similar interchanges, the ball was prettily edged to Gourlay, who finished with a sterling shot that Mellors mastered.  This incident remained indelibly impressed on my mind; it came with the freshness of an oasis to the desert traveler, and was perhaps all the more distinctive because it was not supported by other equally skillful moves.  In the years of famine we are verily thankful for the crumbs of comfort.  Some centres by Davidson were most meritorious, and the right wing pair were at times seen to advantage, but the attack never reached a high standard of ability; in fact, it was with difficulty that it developed into a moderate quantity.  Such also was the state of the City front line, in which Logan and Thompson were the outstanding factors.  The former indulged in some capital footwork in the first half, but Bond did not respond to his endeavours with that alertness that he has usually shown when in Liverpool.  On the extreme left Thompson was a constant source of danger, and one terrific shot from him struck the post.  Manty openings were missed by O’Rourke, who, however, experienced bad luck with one drive which crashed against the crossbar.  But Bradford were not a convincing force when it came to a question of goal-scoring.
Concerning The Defences.
Neither custodian was unduly tested, and though Mellors cleared more frequently then Scott there were few instances that necessitated any special skill to stave off disaster.  The Everton full-backs were not at their best, and both made blunders, Stevenson did not time his interventions at all well, and some of his rushes were easily avoided.  In the early stages Macconnachie kicked feebly, and seemed unable to get a grip of the ball.  The pair were not consistent, and good defence on their part was intersperated with strains of weakness.  In the half-back line Makepeace was the prime performer, capable alike in defending and in giving his forwards chances of making headway.  Fleetwood showed much ability as a resister, and frequently stemmed the most dangerous rushes of the City forwards, but his endeavours to provide openings for the men in front were none too successful.  Harris worked zealously, despite the presence of an injured limb, which undoubtedly handicapped him.  The most resourceful individual in the Bradford back division was Taylor; his returns were clean and well judged, while his tackling was never at fault, and his display throughout was of the utmost merit.  Campbell proved a ponderous lunger, that and nothing more; there is no doubt about his being able to kick.  Robinson gave a good exhibition in the intermediate line, and kept well in touch with his forwards, as did McDonald, who, in a quiet and unobtrusive fashion, accomplished much useful work.  Torrance, in the centre, was often in the picture, and there is no mistaking his exuberant energy.  A great deal of it was misapplied in this match, and his chief concern was in intervening; in initiation and the subsequent developing of raids on his opponents’ goal, he was by no means happy.  As I have already stated, Davidson scored the only point of the match from a pass by Beare in the second half.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Macconanchie; Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Gourlay, Burton, and Davidson.  Bolton Wanderers; Mellors; Campbell, Taylor; Robinson, Torrance, McDonald; Bond, Logan, O’Rourke, Blair, and Thompson.  Referee; Mr. J. Kenny, Preston. 


October 1911