Everton Independent Research Data


Liverpool Echo - Monday 04 October 1915
In an interview with Mr. W. C Cuff, Everton secretary, "Bee" learnt that Parker, Everton'e centre, forward, will rejoin his Walton colours in about a fortnight. Parker had intended playing with Queen's Park or Rangers, but the educes  of the governing body made that impossible, and now decided upon playing with Everton, whose supporters will heartily welcome his return, because his play and other matters Parker had become a great favourite with local followers the game.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 04 October 1915
It is necessary to study all games through their entirety. It isn't fair to pick out certain parts the game that suit the purpose of the picker and form opinions upon them. I mention this dictum because last season when Everton (champions) met Oldham (prospective champions) at Goodison Park I vowed that Oldham were worth their victory despite the change that came over the game late on. Parker and Kirsopp scored wonderful goals, you may remember.  After the game I was assailed by a high official who declared that "it a travesty of words to say that Oldham were worth their victory." You will grant all this introduction is necessary, because Saturday's meeting of Athletic and Everton was somewhat similar to the event recorded above.  Everton were all over their opponents in the first half, and Oldham's frail forward line never looked likely to gain a three-goal lead—but did so.  Everton came with a rattle the finish, scoring twice through Jefferis (an excellent goal) and Clennell.  These goals may have warped some judgement, and my assertion that  were worthy their victory may be challenged afresh.  If so, then I would recall an incident after Wolstenholme's moderate goal.  Grenyer handled in the penalty area, and the referee was unable to see the incident owing to his being "blinded" by a body in between the handler and the referee.  Points of such import must be noted when discussions arise.  That Oldham won was mainly due, to my mind to two causes- First, Taylor's safe goalkeeping;  second over-confidence of the Everton side.  That Everton should become over-confidence wasn't surprising.  The 13,000 spectatorsw must have been confident of success at the interval, because the Athletic forward line had a very foggy idea of how to combine or shoot, although Mitchell had to make one really good save in the first half. 
One Of Our Own
However, Taylor's exhibition was the main cause of Everton's failure to scoreuntil it was virtually too late.  He caught the ball with a fine grip and with shots that were going away from him he showed alacrity and judgement.   His one-hand edge-away of a shot in the second half was a master-stroke, only equalled by his general sense of the fitness of things.  Any of the home forwards getting clear away he immediately came out of his goal and made the forward "see short." to coin a phrase which implies "narrowed the angle of the swhooter," Taylor is every bit as good as that reliable goalkeeper, Matthews and the club know it, for it was only on Thursday that one of their officers told me of the club's opinion.  The first time I saw Ted Taylor was at the opening of South Liverpool's ground at Dingle Park.  Directors had been busy carrying goal posts, &tc, to their places, and a capital start was made at the new ground of the South Club,   Happy days those!  And what a mighty change in every phase of the word in the interventing time!  Taylor that day impressed me as a class goalkeeper and my only fear regarding his display last Saturday was that his recent illness and his lack of football trial might find him guessing.  Instead he showed a wealth of confidence in himself, and was quite the hero of the afternoon, despite the loving way Charlie Roberts looked after his "sprinklings," as he calls them.  Roberts played top-hole football - but then that's what we always look to him for.  he had a challenger, however, in this funny game, for Tommy Fleetwood was every bit as clever in his determined solo dribbles.  One of these days the popular half back will get his deserts (a goal), and when h does the welkin will ring. 
Sudden Improvement

There were a number of funny incidents - Taylor's knock-out by his own full back, Clennell's jugglery when he was finishing a somerassult, his bluffing of Roberts, and -the electric change in Oldham's forward form.  They were a wretched lot of of forwards in the first half but in the second moiety the right wing showed up splendidly in combined work, and Cashmore scored two goals with swift shots.  The change was surprising, yet not unaccountable.  Everton's defence taking the opposition cheaply and suffering  consequently.  Everton should have won the game in the first half when Oldham were frequently penned in.  They had chances and failed to utilse them.  Jefferis at centre, opened strong and well, and kept his wings supplied with passes as well as found time to shoot and to shoulder the opposition off what time a co-forward steadied himself for a shot.  But, frankly, I do not fancy Jefferis as a centre forward.  He is not built that way, and his game in modelled on the pure inside right position.  Clennell got his customary goal, and therefore he kept up his record of scoring in every match.  Hodgson, of Burnley, went out of this class on Saturday.   Burnley's goals being penalty kicks taken by Tom Boyle.  There was nothing wrong with the Everton defence, and Wareing and Fleetwood layed high-class football; but forward the right wing wasn't at its best, and Roberts was not a success.  he requires experience, and should not be hurried by crowd or anyone else.  He faced the better back, Goodchild, Lester spoiling his game by fouling Chedgzoy harmfully.

October 4 1915. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire section principal tournament (Game 5)
The score of three goals to two by which, after a strenuous struggle in which every inch of ground was contested. Oldham Athletic succeeded in defeating Everton at Goodison Park was just about representative of a determined and always interesting game. Everton might very well have effected a draw, for at times they exerted terrific pressure on the defence but the Liverpool Balmoral custodian Taylor, who had charge of the Oldham goal, gave a display of guardianship which will hardly be surpassed this season. His appearance was of a welcome character from the sentimental point of view to the home supporters, but beyond that he proved a distinct thorn in the side of the Everton partisans, shot after shot being repelled by the cleanest of clearances. That his sterling work was at the same time appreciated by a sportsmanlike crowd was shown in the hearty round of applause, which greeted him when he took up his position for the second, half. Hopes were that Donnachie would turn out for the club of his choice against his old confreres, but this was not possible, and of a truth it may be said that Taylor supplied quite enough of the local opposing element for one afternoon. Oldham had some difficulty with their forward line, but rearranged as it was it was effective enough, and the quintette were always making for Mitchell, who again deputising for Fern, did all that could be expected of any custodian.
Despite the unpleasant conditions, which were in marked contrast to those of preceding weeks, there was still a capital attendance, the fifteen thousands mark being again reached. If the weather was of the uncomfortable order, however, there was ample food for enthusiasm, and any physical discomfort experienced was well compensated for by a resolute, clean display of fast football. The burly Charles Roberts, who came in for his usual amount of attention from the crowd, was speedily in evidence, and his bustling breaking up of a number of attacks by the home forwards, followed up in nearly every case with artistic feeding of his own front rank, were responsible for a number of early ominous raids on the home goal, where Thompson distinguished himself with a series of pretty and clever clearances. The home wings were well plied with work, but the finishing efforts were generally faulty, though Taylor had once or twice to be particularly active. Jefferis, who made a very welcome reappearance in the Everton ranks, was always going well for goal, and he worked hard for an opening, but Roberts showed him in dogged fashion and he was given comparatively little scope. The only goal of the first half was initiated by what at first looked like a weak pass by Gee, but the movement was skillfully and speedily developed with the result that after a period of short range maneuvering in front of Mitchell, Wolstenholmes got hold and crashed in a shot which gave the home goalkeeper no chance. This solitary success –a success which was thoroughly well engineered and carried through –represented all the scoring of the first half. The second portion was brimful of incident, Everton went to business for all they were worth to secure the equaliser, but Oldham were equally vigorous in seeing that they did not lose what grip of affairs they had secured, their defenders playing with all the energy at their command. Roberts was always a conspicuous figure, and he several times, after lending effective assistance close in goal, sent his forwards along in most approved fashion, filling the function of centre-half, in fact, to the very letter. Oldham when they attacked made no half-hearted effort of the business, and ultimately Cashmore beat Mitchell for the second time, the home goalkeeper yet again having no chance with a subsequent further effort from the same player. Everton’s chances thus seemed to have vanished altogether, but there came a welcome burst, and the home forwards took complete command of the game. It seemed as though the revival was too belated, for Taylor, assisted by a defence whose determination never flagged, was always on hand. Ultimately, however, the persistent attempts of the Blues were rewarded when Jefferis had the satisfaction of scoring a fine goal, and later, when Clennell got through for a second time, it seemed as though the game, would yet be pulled out of the fire. The hopes of the home side were materially damped when the referee failed to see a corner given by the visiting defence, and more so when the official’s gaze was turned in another direction all the time the linesman was energetically appealing for the concession. The crowd showed their emphatic resentment of the lapse on the part of the official, but the disapproval vigorously expressed as it was brought nothing, and so in the end Everton had to retire defeated, as stated by the odd goal in five.
It was distinctly hard on the home side that they were unable to obtain a division of the points, but Oldham must at the same time be recorded full credit for their victory. They worked hard and ungrudgingly to a man, and two players may be singled out among the eleven for their effective work, those two are Taylor and Roberts. In goal the activity of the former was remarkable, whilst Roberts brought into play all the attributes of the experienced exponents, as well as all the true form of the ideal centre-half. On the home side Thompson proved a clever defender, and Jefferis appearance was in every way successful. Chedgzoy was too well covered to shine as brightly as his wont, and indeed, the home forwards throughout found themselves confronted by a bustling energetic defence that gave them no quarter. To sum up, there was no really weak spot on either side, and the players furnished an exhibition of football which was always enjoyable to watch, and in which the whole-hearted enthusiasm of the contestants were always in distinct evidence. Teams: -Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and Roberts, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Taylor, goal, Goodwin, and Lester, backs, Moffatt, C. Roberts, and Lashbrook, half-backs, Gee Pilkington, Chadmore, Wolstenholmes, and Burtenshaw, forwards.

Liverpool Echo -Wednesday 06 October 1915
Mr. Roger Wilcock ("Veteran," the "Football Echo") writes me:— Meeting Mr. Edwin Berry, who at one time played for wing (I was almost writing three-quarter back) forward, and whose son succeeded him at Everton, I was reminded by him that we had a townsman whom we both knew in the old days— when the game played both codes had not been touched by professionalism—who had been elected to do extreme honour to the city.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 11 October 1915
Bee's Notes
Everton Succeed.
Everton resumed their winning ways, and "F.E.H"  describing the game, says: Everton broke new ground on Saturday when they paid a visit to Rochdale and bagged a brace of points the expense of the Spotland Club. The victory was a welcome one, inasmuch as must counteract any tendency, however slight, a falling off in the form of the club. Taking their strongest eleven to the town of spindles, the Evertonians were naturally expected the superior side, but, a matter act, they had to go all way order to secure the full points. To begin with, there seemed a disposition to take matters easily, and first half-hour was frittered away fancy work," which, however pretty to watch, was wholly ineffective as a determining factor in the game. Curiously enough, this style of play quite failed to impress the Rochdale spectators, and their generous applause was only won when, shortly before the interval, Everton dropped their polished methods and fought their opponents at their own vigorous and thrustful game. Having stepped down from the high horse," so to speak, the visitors were not slow to show the artfulness thai conceals art, and, having once gained a lead, they never really looked like being beaten. Rochdale, to their great credit be it said, stayed the full course with undiminished pace and vim, and with little luck they might perhaps have equalised in the last few moments erf play. There was no doubt, however, as which was superior side, the rough and greasy enclosure the game opened in rather ragged fashion, and more than half an hour was wasted in football of a very mediocre standard. The change came when the Evexton forwards brushed aside all opposition, and so enabled practically walk the ball into the net.  The second half was characterized much better foot work on both sides.   Everton speedily increased their lead through Jefferis, who crowned organised movement with a easy goal.  Before the close Smith was given clear opening and scored creditably, thus vindicating strenuous scrappy methods of the home forwards. Walker, on" the other wing, took the eye exceedingly fast and clever youngster, but the outstanding  player on the side was Barton, the right back His work was altogether irreproachable. A word of praise should also given to Biggar, who kept an excellent goal. There is little need to individualise with regard to the Everton performers. Fern was always safe, and not to blame for the shot that passed him. The backs frequently showed inclination hold their opponents too cheaply and the halves wasted much effort, though Fleetwood was grafter. The forwards scarcely did them selves fiill justice, though there were occa sional purple patches perfect passing Clennoll was the pick of the bunch, and had the mortification of striking tho woodwork twice with ringing shots, these keeping him from his record of goal match;
Note Harrison playing for Leicester Fosse.

October 11, 1915. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire section principal tournament (Game 6)
The Everton team got into a winning strides again at Rochdale and prevailed by the narrow margin of two goals to one, but the accomplishing this success they had to keep themselves fully extended throughout. They were up against a side, which relied upon bustling methods rather than concerted movements, and the grit, and persistency with which they carried on their plan of campaign might easily have unhinged the best of defences. The home eleven held a big advantage in being thoroughly conversant with the lay of the ground, which, in addition, was lumpy, in parts and resulted in upsetting Everton’s best laid schemes when it came to a matter of driving home an advantage they had obtained in the open. At the lower end there were many peculiarities brought about by the vagaries of the top surfaces, and it not infrequently happened that a fast ground drive finally resulted in the ball rising on its approach to the keeper. The respective styles of play were in marked contrast all through the game, and while the footwork of the first portion failed to bring out the nicer points of the code, the play during the second period was far more interesting to the five thousand spectators who were on the whole well satisfied with the fare provided. The home forwards were experts at setting the pace, and it not accomplished in their efforts to turn this important factor to advantage, the nevertheless caused more than one of the Everton defenders to show signs of distress ere the ninety minutes had expired. This was the more noticeable against the left wing, when the even timer –Walker –frequently showed a clean pair of heels to Grenyer, and Macconnachie, and it was mainly from this quarter that the home side levelled most of their attacks.
The game had been going thirty-five minutes when Kirsopp succeeded in drawing on, and eluding the defence, and finally placing the ball with ease into an unguarded goal. Prior to this he had sent in several well-timed drives which, through defects of the playing pitch, went awry, and Clennell, too, had a similar experience, though on one occasion he came near to scoring with a shot that crashed against the bar. Following the resumption Jefferis added a second, after a smart sprint by Chedgzoy, and Everton retained their two goal lead until ten minutes from time, when Smith, pouncing upon a long pass forward, ran through the defence and defeated Fern with a fast shot. Immediately afterwards Clennell, who previously had his knee scarred in collision with Tully, rattled the upright, so that on the run of the play, despite Rochdale’s great rally at the finish, Everton deserved their victory.
Of the players, Fern, kept his charge in clever fashion, and at close quarters brought off a couple of saves that found ready recognition from the sporting crowd, and for the greater part of the game the keeper was ably supported by Thompson and Macconnachie. Fleetwood greatly impressed his old admires with his sterling display by frustrating the efforts of the home left wing, and at the same time providing his comrades with numerous opportunities of forging ahead. In this respect however, none accomplished better work than Wareing, whose anticipation of opponents advances rarely went astray, and with his accurate placing to his forwards in addition, his work all round served to provide the feature of the game. Grenyer also played a useful game, so that the trio contributed a big part in the success of the side. The inside men –Clennell and Kirsopp, best represented the forwards. Jefferis indulged in some neat footwork, and passed well to his wings, of whom Chedgzoy occasionally touched his best form, while Roberts was inclined to as much touchline work, and frequently courted disaster. On the Rochdale side Biggar effected many clever clearances in goal, and was well served with his inches. Barton at right full back, was the most reliable of the defenders, and while the halves formed a big obstacle to Everton’s advance the speed of Walker and the dash for goal by Smith stamped the pair as the most useful of the forwards. Teams: - Rochdale: - Biggar, goal, Barton, and Brown, backs, Tully, Kay, and Yarwood, half-backs, Walker, Southworth, Kenyon, Hawksworth, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and Roberts, forwards.

October 13, 1915 Liverpool Echo
Talk of Everton brings to note the fact that a former Everton player, Tom Robinson, had a brother, Lance-corporal H.C. Robinson, in the South Lancashire Regiment. Information is sought concerning young H.C., who I am sorry to hear, is reported missing. He was wounded in the Gallipoli fight on August 10, and as no further information has been received his parents are naturally perturbed. I offer sympathies to the family and trust that the publication of his photograph and particulars regarding the boy will lead to a bright light on the matter. His number was 10,436, A. Company and information should be addressed to his mother, at 35, Warbreck Moor, Aintree.

Rochdale Observer - Wednesday 13 October 1915
Rochdale 1 Everton 2
Everton, last season’s League champions, provided a big attraction at Spotland on Saturday, and there was the largest “gate” there has been on the ground during the past two seasons, fully 5,000 people bring present. The visitors brought their strongest team, but Rochdale had make several changes from the side which was defeated Stockport the previous week. Swift was unable to turn out owing to an injured back, and the middle line had to bo reshuffled, Kay going into the centre, which is really his favourite position, and Tully transferred to right half. Walker and Southworth formed the right wing, and Kenyon, the former Rochdale  centre forward, turned out again after four seasons’ absence.  Still another change was Brown, the Rochdale cricket professional, who took Caldwell’s place left back. On the invitation of the Rochdale directors about 50 wounded soldiers from local hospitals were present. The teams were : Rochdale ; Biggar; Barton and Brown; Tully, Kay, and Yarwood; Walker, Southworth, Kenyon, Hawksworth, and Smith. Everton ; Fern (captain); Thompson and Maconnachie; Fleetwood. Warring, and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and Roberts The referee was Mr. H. H. Taylor (Altrincham), of English Cup final fame. Play in the first half was mostly in favour Everton, who throughout the game played good, scientific football. There was little out the ordinary’ the first fifteen minutes. Barton was chewed for two splendid clearances from Clennell and Roberts, and fisted away centre by Chedgzoy. Kay gave Smith a judicious pass, and after eluding Thompson the Rochdale captain shot along the ground, but Fern picked up and cleared. Rochdale had another chance when Southworth was in a good position, but he was too slow and Maconnachie charged his shot away. The ball went to Kay, who drove it over the heads of the players in the goal moufji Just wide of the posts. The Everton forwards wore always dangerous when anywhere near the Rochdale goal, and on one occasion close the posts seemed like scoring, but Barton dashed in and swept the ball off Jefferis’ toes. Fleetwood a nice
opening for Chedgzoy, who beat Brown and dropped the bll into the goal mouth, Biggar fisting clear.  But it went to Clennell, who struck the upright with a terrific drive, the ball rebounding into play. Smith had extremely hard lines when, from Hawksworth’s pass, he beat Thompson and tried a long dropping shot, the ball falling on the crossbar and out of play. Ten minutes from the interval Everton opened the scoring.  Chedgzoy, let in by Brown, crossed the ball into the centre to Jefferis.  Biggar came out to meet him, but Kirsopp dashed in and, hooking the ball away from Jefferis, shot into untenanted goal. After the interval the play became more even, in spite of the fact that in the first two minutes Everton scored a second goal. Right away from the restart Yarwood  pushed the ball forward to Kenyon (who had exchanged places with Southworth) and, heading the ball past Maconnachie, he shot along the ground, but Fern was safe. Everton were immediately at the other end, and from a pass by Wareing Chedgzoy centred to Kirsopp. As Brown wont tackle him he slipped the ball to Jefferis, who had no difficulty in beating Biggar. It was a very neat goal. A minute later Everton almost scored again, Clennell brushing Brown aside and shooting straight for the not, but Biggar made a splendid save by beating the ball down. After this Rochdale played nuch better, Southworth once shooting into Fern’s hands and Walker driving just wide the upright. The Everton goalkeeper was kept busy, and one occasion made a splendid save the ground from a free kick on the penalty line taken by Smith. A thiry yards’ drive from Fleetwood was only inches too high, and then Clennell hail similar bad luck to that which he experienced in the first half, a hard drive striking the upright. Tricky play by Smith left Yarwood in good position, and after manmuvring he sent over the bar, whilst Kenyon did the moment later. Eight minutes from the end Smith reduced the lead with the best goal of the match. Everton had been attacking, but Kay got the ball away to Kenyon, who beat Grenyer and placed it beautifully right to the feet of Smith. The wing man took it on the run and, outpacing Fleetwood and Thompson, crashed the ball into the net as Pern came out to meet him. Before the end Rochdale came near to scoring again, but the shooting of the forwards was poor.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 13 October 1915
Bee's Notes
Some five years ago the call, upon the fictitious name "A. N. Other" led to correspondent writing and asking for information about the unknown gentleman; he thoroughly believed there was person of the name of A. N. Other Nowadays, the cloak-name is not frequently called into use, be ..use transfers are not fashionable. It is strange world we are living in, my sirs,  Everton last night met to select the team that shall represent them at Bolton Saturday and in view of recent rumours Spread about concerning old the Club returning to their last love the team selection was looked for with unusual amount of interest. Disappointment ours, Mr. A. N. Other included in the team-sheet. centre-forward Jefferis continues —I'm told that he played capital at Rochdale last week and the name of Parker is not included. However, the famed Scottish centre may be in Liverpool on Saturday week.  It is at outside left that A. N. Other looms large. Who can he be, we wonder?. Outside left was position that tickled and troubled Everton from the time Harold Hardman left the club. In turn we have had George Barlow, another amateur, 'Turner, of Leicester (remember his debut, his subsequent fine, and his subsequent displays'.'), the over-tried Palmer, and small fry, until George Harrison was, with Thompson, taken from Leicester. Harrison did the club proud, and it was a pity that he was not in the Everton side this season, for then there would have been no call upon Donnachie (since left) and others. Harrison is working at Leicester, and the question, I suppose, is whether it is worth his while throwing up his situation in Leicester -for job in Liverpool.  This is the team as the record has it: Fern: Thompson, Maconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and —his lordship, A. N. Other.
Talk Everton brings to note the fact that a former Everton player. Tom Robinson, had brother, Lance-corporal H. C. Robinson, the South Lancashire Regiment. Information sought concerning young H. C., who. I am sorry to hear, is reported missing.  He was wounded in the Gallipoli fight on August 10, and as no further information has been received his parents are naturally perturbed. I offer sympathies to the family and trust that the publication of his photograph and particulars regarding the hoy lead bright light on the matter.  His number was 10,436, A Company, and information should be addressed his mother at 35, Warbreck Moor, Aintree.

October 18, 1915. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire section principal tournament (Game 7)
Football at Burnden Park has not up to date been well supported, and the cause is not far to seek. The players who provided the attraction a season ago are not able to give their services owing to the calls upon munitions and other employment, and the play of the juniors who have filled their positions has not been sufficiently attractive to draw a large crowd together. Still one would imagine that the visit of the victorious Everton team would to some extent have improved the situation but, as a matter of fact the attendance only reached 1,700, and these had the satisfaction of witnessing it not a class exhibition, at any rate a game that fluctuated considerably, and brought in its train no fewer than seven goals. At the outset the Evertonians were generally inclined to take matters too lightly against their less notable opponents. Still among these were a few who set a good example that engendered enthusiast among the junior to such an extent that what at one time pointed to probable rout was converted into a strenuous tussle which might easily have brought about an even distribution of honours.
Taking advantage of slackness in the Everton defence during the early stages, Buchan opened the scoring from a centre by Hampson, and this led to the Blues pulling themselves selves together and giving a real sample of their ability. They put on four goals and the interval arrived these being recorded by Clennell (2), Grenyer, and Kirsopp, and at the turn there were indications of a record score. In gathering their points there was displayed something like the able footwork that one is accustomed to witness when Everton are concerned, and the close co-operation between the half backs and forwards during this period was the brightest feature of the proceedings. Immediately after the resumption Everton went away again in irresistible fashion, but the Wanderers offered a bold front; and after a gallant defence broke away and put on a couple of goals in quick succession through Buchan and Mather. Having progressed thus far there was no slacking of effort, and the Everton defenders had perforce to keep themselves fully extended in order to prevent the Bolton forwards from accomplishing their object. The latter had a great defender and provider in Glendinning, whose efforts met with ready response, for Fern had more than one awkward shot to deal with. The home keeper, too, was kept employed, and gave a better account of himself than he had done in the initial half. There was however no further scoring and the game was won by the odd goal in seven.
The Everton defenders were not as reliable as usual, but one must be prepared in these times for fluctuations in this respect. The halves and forwards were generally effective in distributing the work, especially in the first half, and the substantial scoring serves as an indication of the quality of the final touches of the players. Clennell was very trustful, and had in Howarth a player of much promise. Jefferis opened out the play well, and for the greater part Kirsopp and Chedgzoy made the most of the opportunities that came their way. On the Wanderers side Buchan was a capable centre among a hard-working, if not polished line of forwards behind whom Glendinning accomplished the work of two players, and by his interception frequently relieved the pressure upon the last lines of the defence.
The Blues will need to put up a sterner fight next Saturday if they are to administer a check to the unbeaten Manchester team. But we shall see a better game there, and with Parker, and Harrison back in their old position there will be on view practically the side that carried the club through to the championship last season. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Lansdale, goal, Greenhalgh, and Hirst, backs, Gledinning, W Hulwe and Enthwiste, half-backs Hampton, Mather Buchan, Shippbottom, and Guy, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and Howarth, forwards.

October 18, 1915. The Liverpool Echo
With Manchester City conceding a point to Oldham Athletic and Everton winning their second successive away match, the League chart becomes a matter worth studying. Everton have as a fact a capital chance of “winning the trophy that won't be presented to the champions!” they received Manchester City at Goodison Park next Saturday and therefore the match of the week becomes a very big affair. “F.E.H” comments thus on the expected victory at Bolton against inexperienced young fellows; - “It was like that Liverpool match. The Wanderers were beaten at all points in the first “forty-five.” Then Everton eased up and the Bolton youngsters popped in a couple of goals in the twinkling of an eye. The visitors were of quite so much superior to the little band of comparative juniors pitted against them that anything like a real trial of strength and skill was out of the question. It is therefore all the more to the credit of the Wanderers that they succeeded in keeping their opponents constantly on the move. In perfect weather but before a thin ring of spectators the home side went off with promising dash and their much more powerful opponents had scarcely found their feet when Fern's defence was pierced. The Wanderers forwards with a trustful movement caught both the Everton backs napping and Hampson centring cleverly from a corner enabled Buchan to score. But from this point to the interval there was really only one team in it. Stung to a sense at responsibity the Everton forwards proceeded to juggle with the ball in dexterous if not dazzling fashion. The Bolton defenders stood up bravely, but they were unable to withstand the onslaught and three goals were piled on with what looked like ridiculous ease. The first came from the foot of Clennell, who netted with a characteristic shot and then Grenyer put his side ahead with a well directed drive. The bombardment was continued with unmitigated zest, and Kirsopp coming through the ruck put a third while shortly afterward' Clennell to clinch the argument added a fourth. Everton subsequently easing up as already intimated allowed the Wanderers to reduce the leeway by a couple of goals. The first of these came from Buchan, who again made the best use of a pass from Hampson. Straight from the centre line the leather was rushed through, and Mether smartly placed a third goal. Fern failing to field the shot.

It is unnecessary to particularize with regard to any of the performers. The Everton defenders seemed inclined to take things easily though the half-backs put in a lot of very hard and serviceable work. Interest centred in the appearance of Howarth at outside left, and he made a distinctly favourable impression. He has length, speed, and considerable command over the ball, and ought to improve in first class company. Parker and Harrison will play at Walton on Saturday –good news this.

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 19 October 1915
The most important selections made this afternoon's meeting of the Everton Club were centre and outside left, where Parker and Harrison respectively were chosen. Thus Everton for the first time in the friendly have their championship side. They'll want it, for Saturday's game against the League's unbeaten side —Manchester City. Team: Fern; Thompson and Maconnaehie; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison.

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 19 October 1915
Bee's Notes
By chance I came across Mr. Roberts Wilson (Stationed at Rhyl) yesterday.  The former Everton director told me that his son had just returned from the front, and had come out for a rest cure.  Not a scrath had he sustained, and all will wish him continued luck.  The boy had grown trmendously (he's 6ft 2in, now), but he is very strong withal. 
We are told tha Mr. Ernest Green the Everton director, who is engaged in R.A.M.C work, recently joined in his corps' athletic meeting.  That he won the hundred is not surprising, for Mr. Green was a capital runner in his athletic days, and once put a a good show against Duffy.  
Note- James Brannick as agreed to play for Rochdale
Simpson of Everton to play for Tranmere on Saturday

October 20, 1915. The Evening Express, Liverpool
By the Judge
Important changes will be effected Everton against Manchester City. The most interesting feature will of course be the inclusion of Parker, and Harrison in the Everton team, and their reappearance will create a great amount of interest. This means that Jefferis and Howarth will stand down. Everton will reply upon the following side;- Fern; Thompson, Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Parker, Clennell, Harrison. The Manchester City team has not yet been chosen and it will be given as soon as decided upon.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 20 October 1915
Kirby. the forward Everton obtained from Egremont,  has joined the R.G.A. (Kenneth Campbell's "fancy"). Everton have Galt, Weller, Houston, and a director with the forces.

Liverpool Daily Post –Thursday 21 October 1915
Kirby, the forward Everton obtained from Egremont, has joined the R.G.A . Everton have Galt, Weller, Houston, and a director with the forces.

October 22, 1915. The Evening Express, Liverpool
By the Judge
It is only natural, in view of the records of the respective teams, to expect a fine display of football at Goodison Park tomorrow. The visit of the present leaders, Manchester City is sure to attract a big attendance and a stern battle for supremacy should ensue. At present the Citizens have gone thought the campaign without losing a game, and it remains to be seen if the Evertonians can administer a check to their career. Each side has played seven matches and whereas the home team have lost two games the debut side of the Manchester record area from a couple of draws. Chief interest centres of course, in the inclusion of Parker and Harrison in the Everton eleven, whilst the return of Howard to the City side will add a piquancy of its own. The teams are expected to take the field as follows;- Everton; Fern; Thompson, Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Parker, Clennell, Harrison. Manchester City; Goodchild; Henry, Fletcher; Hughes, Henderson, Brennan; Broad, Taylor, Howard, Barnes, Jones.

Tommy Nuttall of Everton, makes his first home appearance South Liverpool. Team for South; A. Moore; J. Page, and W. Jenkinson; R. Smith, R.W. Carlisle and E. Williams; H. Hale, C.F. Cook, T. Nuttall, R Parr, and J.R. Lipsham.

October 22, 1915. The Liverpool Echo
Bee's Sport Notes
There is a great prospect in the morrow's game at Goodison Park. Everything points to a stern class game between the leaders of the League and last season's championship side. That Everton have regained their lost brethren Parker and Harrison is, indeed good news, for the club has plainly been a bit out of gear in the places of these men fill. However, although Parker and Harrison are new comers to the old side, Harrison at least is in fine form. He has been playing for his original club Leicester fosse and has been their star shooter and raider. Parker, I fancy has not been playing, but he always is so fit and well that the break he has sustained since last April will probably have done him a lot of good. Last back end he was worked very hard and at the finish was not able to do himself justice. Some people have picked holes in Everton's half back line, but I cannot subscribed to that opinion, for the line is of the Everton stamp –and that stamp has been of the highest case ever since the days of Taylor, Abbott, and Booth. Maybe the critics do not fancy the quiet style adopted by Wareing and Grenyer, but it should be remembered that a half-back's duty is to feed and to break-up the phase without the other parts at half-back. If he doesn't part with the ball judiciously after struggling with it he might as well have never tried to dispossess the forward. This by the way. Now what of the chances of Everton knocking Manchester City off their perch? Everton by winning outright will make a strong claim for the honours that carry no trophy. They are keen on settling Manchester's claims and I fancy they will succeed, latterly we have been inclined to misunderstanding Manchester City. Last season when they headed the League for a long spell, we all said, Forwards to defence. But we had to concede that City's forwards continued their practice of getting a goal a match and their defence held out. This season City have not been labeled quite so thickly as in former years, but it must be onfussed that their defence has stood up strong and well, even though Walter Sewthian's keeping goal for them. They have but eight goals against them and Stockport alone of the other clubs can claim such a fine record. Can Everton live line of forwards beat back the City defence. It should not be beyond their powers. The City did not play too well at Anfield and were a shade lucky to get away with two points. I expect they will flaster tomorrow, before Everton's side which has picked up four away points in a fortnight. The visitors will attract a hugh crowd, to go to watch Parker and Harrison as well as to see a very even and fine game. Everton; Fern; Thompson, Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Parker, Clennell, Harrison. Manchester City; Goodchild; Henry, Fletcher; Hughes, Henderson, Brennan; Broad, Taylor, Howard, Barnes, Jones.

October 25, 1915 Dundee Courier
Keen regret will be felt in football circles at the death of Tom Gracie, the Hearts' centre, which took place at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, On Saturday. One of the first of professional footballers to join the colours, he attained the rank of corporal in the 16 th Battalion Royal Scots, to which he was attached. Unfortunately he caught a chill while training, and, internal troubles setting in, he was sent to Leeds, Hospital, where he underwent an operation, and then was removed to Stobhill. As a footballer, Gracie ranked as one of the foremost centre forwards of the day, his play always being above approach. His performances with Hearts last season are still fresh, and need no recalling. As a junior he played with Strathclyde, and his first senior club was Airdreionians. Later he joined the Hamilton Academicals, and then assisted Arthurlie, from whom Morton obtained him, and he did excellent service for the Greenock club. He then went over the Border, and prior to becoming a member of the Hearts, played for Everton and Liverpool.

October 25, 1915. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancasdhire section principal tournament (Game 8)
After retaining an unbeaten certificate for a period of seven weeks, during which they have displayed a consistency which fully entitled them to their sequence of successes, Manchester City on Saturday, at Goodison Park, experienced their first defeat, and with it, by virtue of the conquerors’ resulting superior goal average, lost their position at the head of the Lancashire Tournament. Apart from the inclusion of Parker and Harrison in the Everton side, the importance of the issue at stake infused a special degree of interest in the fixture, which drew a record crowd, and which was played under conditions which, after an unpropitious morning, were quite satisfactory. A splendid struggle ensued and the spectators were kept on the tip-toe of excitement to last moment. The fact that the visitors were unable to include Howard at Centre forward and that Tomlinson could hardly be regarded as an ideal pivot, was not in itself sufficient to account for the Mancunians first defeat, which was brought about by a side which was noticeable superior in the elements of determination and dash. The Blues played with inflagging spirit throughout, and though they had their full share of anxious periods, they were always full value for victory, and their striking success was thoroughly and richly earned. The visitors were the first to open the scoring, although in the first half they were playing with the prevailing wing against them. Barnes, who worked with endless energy all along, at the end of 13 minutes got to a square centre by broad, and making no mistake he beat Fern with a shot which gave the home goalkeeper no chance whatever, Twenty-three minutes elsaped before Everton after several dashing attempts were able to get on an equality and and then Chedgzoy with a characteristic effort, beat Goodchild with a fine shot which left the City custodian powerless. Barely a minute went before the home side increased their lead, Parker this time being the operator, with Goodchild similarly powerless to prevent the ball from reaching the net. The spectators were naturally jubilant at two such swift successes, and they might easily have seen the visiting goal captured again, only vigorous defensive work on the part of the visiting backs and the unrelaxing vigilance of Goodchild being the salvation of the side. There was no further scoring in the first portion, the interest of which never wanted.
The second half brought another sparkling exhibition on both sides. Fern quickly came into prominence with a series of wonderful saves, four terrific shots, three of them from Barnes, being disposed of in less than as many minutes. One effort, in which he dived down at full stretch to a trimmer from the Manchester inside left, was especially noticeable. The exchanges proceeded on the liveliest lines, and the second half had progressed 22 minutes when parker, with a richly-deserving shot from Chedgzoy’s centre put his side further ahead, but although they held a lead of two goals the issue was by no means in safe keeping, for eight minutes later Barnes whose work was of the highest and most active order reduced the lead, and a terrific battle for decisive mastery ensued. Ultimately however, the home team, with time almost expired chinched matters with a fourth goal (Parker), and the game was securely and meritoriously won.
A singular incident marked the close, just as Chedgzoy was making away in the last half minute the linesman raised his flag for an appeal presumably on the ground of offside. The player temporally stopped, but the referee shouted to them to play on. Just however, as they were resuming hostilities he blew his whistle, this time for the finish. The players were under the impression that the game had not been concluded in its entirely. The official in charge explained to out representative that full and complete time had been played, and Everton accordingly won in handsome style by four goals to two.
That the victory was earned cannot be denied. Every man on the home side played excellently, there beening hardly a weak spot. The work of Fern deserved special mention, his saves in the second half being quite brilliant, whilst Chedgzoy and Parker were the pick of the forward line. The visitors worked hard and cleverly all along, but they were opposed to a team that had set a marked mind upon victory. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Manchester City: - Goodchild, goal, Henry, and Fletcher, backs Hughe, Henderson, and Brennan, half-backs Broad, Taylor, Tomlinson, Barnes, and Dorsett, forwards.
Liverpool Echo - Monday 25 October 1915
Bee's Notes
Saturday was a big day in football circles. Everton met and defeated the League leaders, Manchester City, and thereby took first place in goal average.  It was City't first defeat, and it is a pity that the game was marred towards the finish by proceeding that do the game harm. First, the referee got across the crowd by his persistent denia of signals made by the linesman and by his excessive offside zeal.  Mr. J J. Turner must spoil many games by his determination to keep up with the play and watch those heinons (?) offences of offside. He believes in carrying the whistle in his mouth. That type invariably plays a solo on the whistle and havoc with the flow of the game. The outcome of the day's fine struggle was electric and unfortunate. A linesman signalled for offside. The referee would have none of it, and a goal was scored. Manchester appealed to the referee to consult the linesman, but, in spite of his so doing, the referee held that Parker's hat-trick goal was a good one.  Manchester City for a time toyed with the ball, and would not take the centre kick.  However, they finally yielded, and in the last second of the game Chedgzov was whipped up Fletcher and a scrap ensued.  Fletcher aroused the ire of the spectators by his fighting attitude, and section of the spectators -one of the number khaki—invaded the field of play.  Although the game was virtually ended, the scene was an ugly one, afterwards  officers of the club brought up fresh police supplies, as the crowd waiting around the players' and referee's exit was growing large.
About the Victory.
It is nicer to turn to comment on the well-earned victory rather than the scene. The game was exhilarating, and until Everton woke up and got their balance they did not look like proving City's first conquerors. Harrison's home-coming was the direct result of the first two goals, and as Parker scored one of these is natural that the old friends, who wore making their debut for the season, should have the glad hand from the record crowd of the season (probably 18,000 strong) Unfortunately, City was not at full strength, and had to find Subs for Lot Jones, Fairclough, and Howard. Again, an attempt has been made to throw cold water upon my official statement regarding Howard's elusion in the team. Never mind what contemporary says about it; Howard was chosen, and was expected, until the last moment to make his debut for the club. To say that was not expected to play simply show lack of knowledge of what has been done by the City. Fortunately for the City they had a football pal along with the team, and he was pressed into service it wasn't to be would do great things—and did not disappoint in that  respect.  The City's combination was too good for Everton in the opening-chapter, and the swift and sure methods by Broad, Taylor, and particularly Barnes had Everton's defence in a bad plight.  Offside tactics were tried, and sometimes there was a lack of linking-up between our half-backs and full backs that nearly led to the aforementioned tactics proving very expensive.  City were certainly worth their goal-lead.  Nevertheless in a trice they were a goal down, Chedgzoy and Parker scoring good goals after persistent and severe pressure had been applied.  At this time the City's solid defence stood out boldly, and tried hard to cope with the work that was thrown on their shoulders through moderate half-back play—even Hughes, though moving forward ably, was not in his best defending form against that tricky and tough left wing, Harrison and Clennell.  That Everton kept a lead 2-1 was fortunate, Maconnachie, in trying to clear, turning 'the ball up against His goaleeper's crossbar. Fern was in a hopeless position to stall off a goal, and the crossbar saved our team flukily.  Afterwards, Everton came to their own particular style and showed class, enterprising football. Clennell's pass to the the far right side being wonderful samples of how to open out a game. Kirsopp, too, played gloriously cute football, and was really responsible for Parker's second goal. Barnes,' the greatest shooter on the field, took it, into his head to try a long- low surprise shot that Fern got down to trifle too late.  It was Barnes goal and no error.  You who were there must have been struck by his power of driving in the first two minutes of play, but what thought you of his attempt to goal when ball was chest-high?   Despite this handicap Barnes got a strong pace into his shot. It's a delight of the game to see Barnes shoot and to note his willingness to have a pop at goal.  Space is not sufficient to allow a lengthy personal criticism, but it must be stated that both goalkeepers were safe, and the City backs were the steadier.  At half we had the better the argument; albeit Barnes was a thorn in the fresh of the Everton side.  Bobbie Parker's return to the team, with Harrison's spirited game—how we smile when we recall " persistent application of the mercurial Palmer last season in preference to Harrison!—made the difference to the home attack, which was well-built, determined, and shot often. Early on Parker floundered slippery turf, but his shooting was a deadly factor.  No forward, however, equalled Barnes in direction of shot or a general footwork.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 25 October 1915
Gracie Death
Bee’s Notes
In Saturday's "Football Echo" I gave a hint of the impending death of poor Tom Gracie, a solider and a man.  He was greatly liked in our city, although he failed to fulfil thepromise he held out in his Scottish games.  He came to us as Scotland's reserve player in the last big international at Goodison Park.  Everton had signed him on from Greennock, and big things were expected of him.  Many many times he showed a touch of highest class football, but he always had bad fortune, and once had a bad injury to keep his ill-luck company.  He was not anxious to show them that he could play.  Later he formed one of the links in a remarkable swooping deal between the local clubs.  He and Will Lacey were transferred to Liverpool.  Everton getting Harold Uren and a sum of money in return.  Even when with |Liverpool Gracie only occasionally gave signs of his true game, and it wasn't until he returned to his own land that he found his long-lost form.  Then he became a regular scorer and a capital forward.  When war broke out he like others of the Hearts team, joined the forces, and was soon promoted to the rank of corporal.  Contracting a chill while in training, Gracie became gradually worse, and on Saturday morning I know it was impossible for him to recover.  he lost it was impossible for him to recover.  he lost a brother in the great advance at Loos, and now he, poor fellow, has gone to his rest.  Gracie was one of nature's gentlemen, and his sudden demise causes me to lose a true friend. 

Daily Record - Monday 25 October 1915
Tom Gracie is dead.  Wherever football is plaved in Scotland there will be sincere regret at the untimely end of the Heart of Midlothian centre, of whom it may truly be said —” He always played the game.”  Tom passed away in Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, on Saturday morning.  He died on service just as much as did a brother who fell on the battlefield very recently.  Tom’s health was never quite the same from the time he joined the Royal Scots last year.  A native of Glasgow, Gracie first came into nrominence in the ranks the junior Strathclyde. He had a spell with Airdrieonians, and afterwards with Arthurlie, Morton, Everton, and Liverpool. English football was not to his liking, he came back to Scotland at the invitation of the Hearts, and did grand service for the Edinburgh club. Expressions of sympathy have been received by his mother from Captain Fowler, the Royal Scots; from the Heart Midlothian officials, and from R. Mercer, behalf of the Tynecastle players.  Only last Monday Mercer called on his clabmate at Stobhill Hospital. Tom, although aware that he was very seriously ill, was quite cheery and assured his visitor that was not downhearted. His chief worry was the thought that his comrades who joined the Army with him might put him down as a shirker. He is to buried in Craigton Cemetery to-morrow' afternoon, at two o’clock, from his mother’s house 314 Duke Street, Glasgow The funeral is private. 

Tom Gracie and Bert Freeman.
Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 26 October 1915
The death of Tom Gracie, the ex-Everton and Liverpool player, recalls of the most interesting and eventful chapters the history of Burnley football.  In the season of 1910-11 Gracie had made a big name for himself with Greenock Morton.  The Burnley club was then in "Queer-street. The team was doing badly, the revenue had gone down to vanishing point, and the club was heavily in debt.  A supreme effort was needed, not merely to keep it in the Second Division, but to avert extinction. By some mysterious means, known only football directors, the wherewithal was found with which to approach some outside players. The, fame of Gracie had reached Turf Moor, and the directors made desperate effort secure him. Gracie, however, would not budge; but a few days later he was " bagged " by Everton. Bert Freeman was then playing centre forward for Everton. The Burnley had long had their eye on Freeman, and as Everton had booked a new centre forward in Gracie the officials at Turf Moor thought the moment opportune for a deal on Merseyside.  The result was that Freeman and Mountford were transferred from Everton to Burnley for sum of about £850.  This was in April, 1911. Freeman played in the last two or three matches with Burnley that month, and his advent had magical effect on team.  The following September saw the dawn of a new and brighter era at Burnley. Freeman opened in brilliant style, and his sensational scoring feats drew big crowds to Turf Moor, such as the club had never known before. Success emboldened the directors, and the first Saturday in October Tom Boyle, of Barnsley, played his first game for Burnley. His transfer fee was for £1,150.  That was the foundation of the team which was destined raise Burnley into the First Division and to capture the English Cup.  The change was mainly due to Freeman and Boyle. Mountford had his leg broken soon after he joined Burnley, and this virtually ended his football career. Freeman was at the top of his form throughout his first two complete seasons at Turf Moor.  He was not only a great individualist, but a masterly leader of the attack. He developed Hodgson and Lindley, who learned to feed him ludiciously with dexterous forward passes which enabled him to dash between the opposing baoke and score many characteristic goals Mossc-rop and Nesbitt, the extreme wings, also came along a great pace. Watson (who, like the fleet-footed schoolmaster, Mosscrop, lives made great strides half-hack alongside Boyle, and soon won international honours, along with Mosscrop.  Continued success emboldened the Burnley directors to farther enterprise, and they have never regretted the transfer fee paid for David Taylor, who came Burnley from Bradford City two months after the arrival of Boyle. How team, after two exciting seasons, emerged from the Second Division of the League and next winter carried off the English Cup, making a record profit for that season of over £12,000, is quite recent football history.  I stumbled across Freeman Saturday night after he had sampled the delights of ground. He had not been able to play since Burnley's visit to Liverpool's ground, when he was crocked. 

Liverpool Echo-Tuesday 26 October 1915
Bee's Notes
 " Ghost does not Walk."

The attendance at the Everton ground on Saturday was 22,000 strong—Everton held the season's record prior to Saturday, so they have simply beaten their previous record.  Let the scoffers note that of number present 200 were wounded soldiers, and in addition no fewer than 1,838 soldiers passed through their own particular turnstile. Who dare say that those soldiers did not find rich delight from the match? Who say the game did them any harm? Who dare that, in these days of " Call,' pink forms, the other spectators (20,000 strong) were slackers? That shall always have cranks with is undoubtod ? but we need not give them ear. That is why refuse to deal at any length with communication received this morning, which tells of an unbelief in statement that Everton players are not receiving wages. The communication asks, " then, they be desperately anxious to win, and why should they bring in the unfair offside game to save their skin!?" Such tush and nonsense! The offside game is not  barred by the rules, is not unfair, and is simply of a part a scheme of defence. As for the claim that footballers are receiving wages, let the correspondent get, touch with a player and hear his home truths.  

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 27 October 1915
Bee's Notes
The Everton team against Stoke will be the same as last week except that Jefferis takes the place of Parker.  The reason Parker is not playing is that the journey to Stoke -the longest on the circuit -is impossible to him.  Everton (at Stoke); Fern; Thompson, and Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Jefferis, Clennell, and Harrison.



October 1915