Everton Independent Research Data


October 3, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton's star was not in the ascendant at Highbury on Saturday. They happened to catch the Arsenal right on the top of their form, and though there was only a goal between them at the finish, the Londoners were, on the general run of the play, entitled to the two points. It was rather a curious game –fast, full of episode, clever passing, and clean withal. The home side gained the verdict by the sheer strenuouaness of their attack. They never caused to worry the Everton defence, and with a little better combination they might well have made the margin of victory greater. Merseyside men, on the other hand, put in some wonderfully clever work, and their defence throughout was admirable. The defect seemed to lie with the three inside-forwards, who by no means made the most of the opportunities opened out to them by the half-backs. Had these been seized the Evertonians might quite conceivably have shared the honours with their opponents. It is only fair; however, to repeat that the Arsenal's triumph was well won. It was far and away the best exhibition of football that the Londoners have given this season.
The opening passages of the play were fast and exciting, and the whole character of the game might have been turned with the slightest shade of luck. Davies had pushed his way past Hutchins and had Williamson beaten when he shot. Unfortunately for Everton the ball struck the foot of the post, and the danger was cleared. The pace never slackened, and after twenty minutes going the one and only goal of the match fell to the home side. The movement was initiated by Bradshaw, who put the ball to White. The latter steadying himself, let drive at thirty yards' range and though Fern jumped to it he could not stop the ball, which glanced off the upright into the net. After this Baker was conspicuous, but nothing further had happened when the interval arrived.
The second period was quite as hotly contested as the first, and both goals experienced narrow escapes. Baker making excellent use of his head, was a constant source of anxiety to the defenders, while at the other end Williamson was frequently found work from the well-judged centres of Harrison and Jones. The inside men as already indicated, failed to rise to the occasion, but it was a keen struggle to the end.

Davies at times led his line with great skill but he was watched by Butler. Jones was a very capable substitute for Chedgzoy, and it was certainly not his fault that Fazackerely failed to get through. The left wing pair were frequently well in the picture, but Reid seemed to lack the necessary dash to forge his way through the home defence. All the half-backs played clever football and got through a tremendous amount of work. The backs also bore much of the brunt of the battle, both Downs and McDonald clearing any tackling with celerity and dispatch, while Fern kept an admirable goal. On Saturday's form the Arsenal forwards will get more goals at Highbury. Baker and Bradshaw were especially good. Teams : - Arsenal: - Williamson, goal, Cownley, and Hutchins, backs, Whittaker, Butler, and McKinnon, half-backs, Rutherford, White, Baker, Bradshaw, and Blyth, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Fazackerley, Davies, Reid, and Harrison, forwards.

October 3, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park, before a moderate attendance. Everton played their latest capture from Ireland R. Irvine, at inside right and he gave a most creditable display. He fed Spencer at outside right with some neat passes, and was always ready for a shot at goal. Everton at the start kept the visitors busy defending, and no one did better than Stroud, who played, for the “Blues” last season. Still, Blackpool made many raids towards the home goal, chiefly through the fine wing play of Dyke who often had Yarwood in difficulties. It was from one of his centres that Sibbald forced the ball into the net from a scrimmage in the goalmouth which gave the visitors the lead at half-time. On the resumption Everton immediately took up the rushing, and after twenty minutes' play succeeded in equalising through Clennell, the outcome of good play by Moffatt. The home players fought hard to get in front but the Blackpool defence was very sound. Teams: - Everton: - B. Howard-Baker, goal, Fare, and Yarwood, backs, Brown, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Spencer, Irving, Moffatt, Clennell, and Alford, forwards. Blackpool: - Richardson, goal, Stroud, and Ford, backs, H. Baker, Leaver, and Rooks, half-backs, Dyke, Lane, Alvey, Sibbald, C. Baker, forwards.

October 3, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Chedgzoy scored the only goal against the Ireland League at Belfast

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 05 October 1921
Williamson, the ex-hibs centre, who turned out for Armadale against Dunfermline, played war-time football with Everton, who made strenuous endeavours secure his permanent transfer.

October 6, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
In a friendly match at Goodison Park, yesterday afternoon, Llandudno Corinthians proved no match for the Everton “A” team and were beaten by 6 goals to nil. The Welshmen played pretty football at first, but the forcing tactics of the Everton halves and inside forwards soon upset them, with the result that apart from a few raids they were kept on the defensive throughout. Three goals were scored in each half, Vin (2), McGrea (2), Spencer, and Young being the scorers. The first named is a promising young player, who proved himself a trier at centre-forward. Spencer the first team man, did a lot to keep the line together, and was ably supported by Parry. Young and McGrea, through playing in unaccustomed position, formed a nice wing. The half-backs played so well that the defence was barely tested. In the Welsh team, Neal was an outstanding figure, and proved himself a sure tackler and a clever player. The forwards dribbled too much in front of goal, and as a consequence the few chances they did get were frittered away. The Corinthians are a hard-working amateur side, but they are not in Everton's class. Teams : - Everton “A”: - Pope, goal, Caddick, and Stansfield, backs, Gow, Leary, and Fare, half-backs, Parry, Spencer, Vin, McGrea, and Young, forwards. Llandudno Corinthians: - Brown, goal, Owen, and Arnold, backs, D. Williams, Neal, and B. Williams, half-backs, Humphries, Hill, Parsons, Dalton, and Elias, forwards.

October 8, 1921. The Liverpool Football Echo
I hope that Chedgzoy excuse my telling you that he was very lucky to get out of Ireland! Why someone didn't shoot him is beyond me to explain. I wonder if he knows that his good loss every man in the Irish team and the trainer £1 each. A Belfast gentleman had promised to give the bonus if the Irish League won or draw. Five minutes before the end of the game he was so satisfied that he would have to pay up that he called the secretary of the Irish League, wrote out his cheque for £12 and after handing it over left the ground and contented. Poor Chedgzoy was not informed of this, and thus he was responsible for another injustice to Ireland. Perhaps its well he got down to the boat soon. Irish League puzzling over the problem of what to do with the cheque.

October 10 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
There was a big improvement in the quality of the football given at Goodison Park on Saturday, and Everton credited themselves with a capital win against Blackburn Rovers. It was clever sparking football with a touch of the artistic that had been lacking in the earlier games this season. Everton obtained an early lead when Reid scored after two minutes' play and a further goal scored by Davies twelve minutes after the interval, proved to be the turning point of the game. Up to the time of the second goal the Rovers had been quite as good as Everton, in fact their combination and footwork was often better –more artistic and precise, but with all their cleverness they could not score. The Rovers badly needed an inside forward who could shoot accurately, and it was the weakness of the middlemen in front of goal that made the fine so ineffective. Everton gave a much improved display. The forwards shot with great heartiness, and although many of their movements lacked the polish of the Rovers, their attacks were far more deadly. Sewell played a great game –a tribute to the quality of the Everton attack. It was Sewell's brilliance that saved the Rovers from a heavy defeat. Fern had not so much to do, but he made some masterly saves, and altogether gave a finished performance. The Rovers' backs were occasionally uncertain and erratic, but otherwise they played well. Downs and McDonald revelled in their work and were at their best when the pressure was hottest. The Rovers had the better set of half-backs. They knew what their forwards wanted, and kept them well supplied with the right tyre of passes. In addition, Heaton was the best shooter of the side, while Thorpe worked with a will, and no small measure of success. Brewster was the best of the Everton line. One of the most satisfactory features of the game was the performance of Davies, and if he can reproduce the form displayed on Saturday, Everton have no need to look further for a leader. Davies showed wise observation, in keeping the play often, and his shooting was a thing to be remembered. It was both fiery and deadly. Fazackerley added vigour to his dairly touches and Chedgzoy's pace and control gave him a big advantage. The attack as a whole was not as well balanced as it might have been, for the left wing was not sufficiently employed during the first half. Hodginson and Ralphs were clever forwards, but their good work was wasted through the lack of consideration on the part of the inside men.

Everton, first goal was a stagging blow to the Rovers' defence. The ball was flashed into the centre by Fleetwood, and Reid standing between the Rovers backs had time to take steady aim and drive the ball into the net before the defenders recovered from their surprise. Both Rello and Wylie appeared bothered when Reid got the ball, for they made not the slightless movement to deterred they position, and the best Sewell could do was an attempt to head the ball as it passed into the net. Then followed some smart work by the Rovers forwards, particularly Hodkinson and Holland, but Dawson's shot was well saved by Fern. Davies demonstrated his shooting skill by driving a terrific ball at Sewell. The Blackburn custodian relied with a brilliant save as he punched the ball over the bar, and saved Brewster's header. Play was fast and exhilarating, and after Sewell had tipped over a raking shot by Fazackerley. Ralph rounded McDonald in fine style, Hodginson pace and cleverness gave him the district advantage over Downs, and he got in a fine run and centre. The Rovers played pretty football, and a little more steadiness in front of goal should have brought an equalising point. Once Brewster placed the ball back and a most brought disaster, Fern saved brilliantly from Heaton, and was just in time to reach the ball at the foot of the upright. Dawson should to have scored early in the second half when Hodkinson sent the ball into the centre but the Rovers' leader in attempting to “pull” the ball into the net sent it just wide. At fifty-seven minutes Davies scored Everton's second goal. It was a nice solo effort and the opening was provided from a big put by McDonald. Wylie tried to head the ball, failed, and Davies went through to net the ball after drawing Sewell from his goal. Then followed the most thrilling period of the game. Fazackerley hit the bar with a terrific shot, and a hard drive by Harrison caused Sewell to bring his fists into action. Fern was busy at the other end a moment later, and after a partial clearance, he was moving backwards into his goal when Heaton drove in hard, and straight. Fern shot out his right hand and the ball was deflected for a corner. Near the end Sewell made two more clever saves from Reid and Davies, and the well deserved the appreciation he received from the Rover skipper on leaving the ground. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Sewell, goal, Rollo, and Wylie, backs, Thorpe, Reilly, and Heaton, half-backs, Ralphs McDonald, Dawson, Holland, and Hodgkinson, forwards.

October 10 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
This match at Ewood, proved an interesting one. In the first minute Everton gained the lead through Spencer, who crowned clever work by Jones, who was far too smart a player for Donnelly, the Rovers left back to deal with. During the greater portion of the first half Everton, who were always smarter and more methodical, had far the better of matters, for which Jones on the right and Wall on the left were chiefly responsible, their ball centred and marksmanship being a great feature of the game. Salt was always impressive, his coolness and cleverness under pressure. Both Livingstone and Fare showed up well, and both backs rendered good services. It was unfortunate for the visitors that Livingstone by heading through his own goal from a corner kick by McCall, should rob his side of one of the two points.

October 13, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
For their match at Blackburn on Saturday, Everton make no changes in the side, which beat the Rovers 2-0 at Goodison Park, last week. The team accordingly will be: - Fern; Downs, McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Peacock, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Reid, and Harrison. Blackburn are making two changes in the attack, Holland moves from inside left to centre forward to the exclusion of Dawson and Hawksworth comes in for the first time this season. The team is: - Sewell, Rollo, Wylis, Thorpe, Reilly, Heaton, Ralphs, McDonald, Holland, Hawksworth, and Hodkinson. The Everton Reserves side is: - Salt, Livingstone, Yarwood, Weller Leddy, Grenyer, Jones, Spencer, Irvine, Clennell, and Alford.

October 14 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Howard Baker, the well-known jumper and footballer, has been signed as an amateur by Chelsea Football Club, and will most likely play in their first team. The announcement will come as a great surprise, For there was no hint that he was leaving the City, in football sense. It is probable that Chelsea saw his excellent display for the Corinthians against the ‘Spurs last week, and as the London club has been faring moderately in defence, they would be delighted to gain the signature of Baker, who, it will be remembered, stated his career with Marlborough and finally kept goal for Liverpool and Later Everton, not mention an appearance for England against Belgium last season. Baker is perhaps the biggest “kick” from goal that the game has known.

October 17, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Eevrtonians gave a highly creditable account of themselves at Ewood Park on Saturday, when they shared the points with Blackburn Rovers. The merit of the performance lies in the fact that the home side was leading by two clear goals at the interval, and they reappeared with a very confident start. This as it turned out was a case of pride going before a fall, Holland and his wings passed up appreciably, and Everton making due advantage, rattled in two good goals, before the finish, and so divided the honours, it was a fast, good game, marred only by looseness in finishing –a fault so be found on both sides. The Rovers were the worse offenders with regard to this, for their midfield play was always bright and attractive. It was when they came to close quarters that hesitancy became apparent and many chances were thrown away. The Everton forwards were cleverer in method than their opponents, and some of their footwork was really delightful to witness. They were, however, well held by the home defenders, and the two goals that were secured were thoroughly well deserved.

Everton set the pace at a rare bar, and in the opening stages it looked as though the Rovers were in for a rough time. Blackburn, however, showed dour persistence in wearing down tactics, and after rather less than a quarter of an hour's play they opened the score through Reilly, who drove the ball hard into the net following upon a well placed corner kick. The Blackburn centre-half added to this success with a second goal from a corner –this time a smart piece of headwork. Everton made fine play for a time after this, and their close passing was extremely clever in conjunction with the work of the half-backs. They were, however, unable to beat Sewell and the Rovers led, as indicated, by two clear points at the interval. In the second half the visitors rallied in really surprising fashion, and momentary slackness on the part of the home side paved the way to an honourable draw. The forwards went away in combined order, and from a pass by Harrison, Fazackerley shot a great goal. After this the Evertonians seriously asserted themselves, and a slip on the part of Rollo let in Harrison, who scored the equaliser in characteristic fashion. The result was perhaps the best reflex of the game. Everton when they did get going, showed fine football, and the Rovers were as robust as their reputation.

The work of the Everton forwards was as “classy” as one could wish to see. Davies did his best to lead the fine, and he put in many adroit touches. Fazackerley came out of his shell, and showed the crowd what a really clever footballer he is, Reid also did some good work despite a tendency to “sheer off” at the critical moment. Both the wingers were admirable. Chedgzoy put in some wonderful centres and Harrison was no less clever. All the half backs were good, and both Downs and McDonald played up to their high reputation. Fern kept an exemplary goal, and could not be blamed for the two shots that beat him. Teams: - Blackburn Rovers: - Sewell, goal, Wylies, and Rollo, backs, Heaton, Reilly, and Thorpe, half-backs, Hodkinson, Hawksworth, Holland, McDonald, and Ralphs, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Reid, and Harrison, forwards.

October 17, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton were full value for their five to one victory over the Rovers at Goodison Park. Irvine was tried in the centre-forward position and was quite a success, feeding his wings unselfishly. Jones and Alford, the extreme wing men, were also in great form. No one did better than Garrett, who played left half in place of Grenyer, and the two goals he scored were first time efforts from centres by Jones when standing more than twenty-five yards from goal. Everton led at the interval by two goals to one. Dawson who was the only Blackburn forward that gave Everton's defence any trouble, scored just on the interval. During the second period the Rovers had their full share of the pressure, but failed to take advantage of their chances, especially during a spell when Everton eased up. On the other hand Everton were always dangerous, and Robinson and his backs were often hard pressed. Wall got through twice and Clennell once, giving the home side a well-deserved victory. Everton: - Salt, goal, Livingstone, and Yarwood, backs, Weller Leddy, Garrett, half-backs, Jones, Spencer, Irvine, Clennell, and Wall, forwards.

Nottingham Evening Post - Tuesday 18 October 1921
There is strongly-supported rumour that Joe Clennell, the Everton forward, who is now reported to sound after two operations to damaged knees, will shortly be transferred to Cardiff City. His transfer may turn upon whether or not he can get permission to live in Liverpool, which is his home.

Derby Daily Telegraph, Oct 1921
Stanley Fazackerley's feat of swallowing his chewing gum and nearly choking himself to death has caused great amusement at Goodison, and has led up to a funny practical joke. One of the players dressed up in the role of a traveller for Everton toffee, called upon Fazackerley and explained to him the advantages of toffee over chewing gum. It has been the joke of the season at Liverpool.
•  Thanks to Kjell Hanssen for sending me this.

October 22, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
With such prominent players out of the side, Everton will be hard pushed for victory in the League journey. Everton are at home to Oldham Athletic, who sport a couple of locals in Taylor and Freeman. Everton are entrusting the outside wing berths to Jones and Alford. The first named has had previous outings with the side, but Alford, who hails from Barrow, is making his debut. He is said to have the makings of a good player, therefore his debut will be watched with interest. With the exception of these two chances, the Blues' side is unchanged. They will be meeting a dour side in the Latics, but that should not prevent them from getting home. By the way, Clennell, who has been rather unfortunate with the Goodison Park club, has been transferred to Cardiff. The last named club have by no means reproduced the form that gained them promotion, and evidently need strengthening.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 22 October 1921
 Joe Clennell. the inside-left of Everton, has been transferred to Cardiff City. The fee is stated to amount to four figures.

October 24 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
For the second week in succession Everton had to be content with a draw, the score again being 2-2. Their attack suffered by the absence of Chedgzoy and Harrison, as Jones and Alford were not equals of the usual wingers, and the attacks were not developed in the customary Goodison fashion. However, after being a goal down at the interval the Blues equalised and then took the lead, only to see the Athletic again get on terms in the next few minutes. In trying to stop them Fern had his right arm damaged, and for a short time Fleetwood was in goal, while Downs and two half backs joined the forwards in an endeavour to save both points. The back in fact collided with the Oldham upright in one rush, so far did he advance, but Oldham weathered the storm, and after surving a Peacock shot, which hit the post, joined in exciting exchanges, the pace being tremendous right up to the final whistle.

This was surprising in view of the sloppy state of the turf after the heavy downpour. Oldham were the better earlier on, and showed skill in distributing the heavy ball, but later Everton swung it about in correct fashion. The value of long drives on such a day was shown by Butler's thirty yards cross shot, which Fern failed to reach. Everton got on terms through Fazackerley converting a penalty kick , given against Wynne, as the back from Neston fell down to push away a Brewster shot which was going straight into goal. Ten minutes later Fazackerley shot through a crowd of players following the taking of a corner kick. Then in five minutes Toms worked to the left, and as Fern tried to drop on the ball, shot under him, Fern being forcibly booted on the arm muscle at the same time.

Fern was not to blame for either of the shots, which beat him, while the defence of Downs and McDonald was excellent in the extreme. Downs was at his very best, and with McDonald also in form they gave the Oldham attack a sorry time. In the halves Fleetwood took the palm for feeding the men in front, while Brewster was useful with his head, but Peacock was very moderate in the first half, though he improved later. Only Fazackerley of the forwards did himself justice, and he was easily the brainiest attacker on the field. The Oldham defence was local, E. Taylor and Freeman being from Liverpool, and Wynne, who was making his debut from Nelson. They began very well, but though Taylor gave nothing away the backs tired as the game progressed and Freeman was not helped by a nasty kick on the ankle. Pilkington was the pick of the halves and Butler and Toms two trustful forwards. Teams: - Everton: - fern, goal, Downs and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Jones, Fazackerley, Davies, Reid, and Alford, forward. Oldham Athletic: - Taylor, goal, Wynne, and Freeman, backs, Marshall, Pilkington, and W. Taylor, half-backs Wallace, Bell, Butler, Toms, and Tatton, forwards.

October 24 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Oldham Athletic again failed on Saturday, Everton visiting Boundary Park and winning by 3 goals to 1. Campbell opened the score for the Athletic, and this was the only score of the first half, but after Weller had equalised the raids of the visitors was easy, and two further goals were added by Crossley and Wall to gave them a comfortable victory. Everton: - salt, goal, Fare, and Livingstone, backs, Weller, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Parry, Irvine, Moffatt, Crossley, and Wall, forwards.

Ireland v England
Derby Daily Telegraph - Monday 24 October 1921
International Tournament opens at Belfast
Windsor Park, Belfast, was today (Saturday) the scene of the first International match of the season, when Ireland met England for the 36th time. Selecting no fewer than seven men for the first time, England had practically a new team, of which good things were expected. Clay, who appeared against Wales the season before last, Wilson, Chedgzoy, and Walker were the only players who had represented England before, whiole of the side that won last season's match at Sunderland by 2-0 only two last named had been chosen again. The team was, therefore, in the nature of an experiment, especially as Lucas's Liverpool's right back, appeared on the left, and Walker, who occupied the centre forward position, at Sunderland, played at inside left. The most surprising selection was perhaps Moss, who less than a year ago had no recognised place in the Aston Villa team. Despite the fact that the Irish League side, picked frrom clubs in Ireland had played the English League to a goal a fortnight ago, Ireland had selected only two of their home players in Scraggs and Emerson, both of the Glentoran club. Great confidence was, however, felt in the eleven, all of whom had represented their country before, though Ireland, previous to today's match, could look back upon only two victories against 29 by England with four drawn games. The teams were;- England; Dawson (Burnley), goal; Clay (Tottenham), and Lucas (Liverpool), backs; Moss (Aston Villa), Wilson (Wednesday) and Barton (Birmingham), half-backs; Chedgzoy (Everton), Kirtyon (Aston Villa), Simms (Luton), Walker (Aston Villa), and Harrison (Everton), forwards. Ireland;- Scott (LIverpool), goal; W. McCracken (Newcastle United) and Rollo (Blackburn Rovers), backs; R. McCracken (Crystal Palace), Scruggs (Glentoran), and Emerson (Glentoran), half-backs; Lacey (Liverpool), Gillespie (Sheffild United), Doran (Brighton and Hove Albion), Mathieson (Luton), and Bookman (Luton), forwards. The attendance numbered 30,000. The ground was soft after two day's heavy rain. Both teams played as selected. Wilson won the toss, and England played with a stiff breeze. In the first minutes Chedgzoy sent in a good centre, but Simms headed behind. Lucas replied and Harrison centred, But McCracken's offside tactics spoiled a good English openinmg. During an Irish raid Clay slipped and Lacey was presented with an open goal, but shot wildly over the bar. Exchanges were fairly even, but the slippery state of the ground made it difficult for the players to retain a foothold. From a centre from Chedgzoy, Kirton shot into the hands of Scott, and in another raid Simms was thrown offside by McCracken a splendid chance being lost. England were the most dangerous team, Dawson having practically nothing to do. From short range Walker headed in, and with Scott beaten the ball struck the post. Bookman got away and centred, and Doran was almost through when he was brought down by Clay just outside the penalty area. Emerson shooting over from the free kick, ireland now improved, Bookman broke away and from a perfect centre Doran shot from two yards, Dawson making a brilliant save. Lucas missed his kick but Dawson, however, retrieved a dangerous situation. At the other end Walker missed the post by inches. Chedgzoy was injured but soon resumed and McCracken again put the English forwards offside. From the free kick Dawson saved from Emerson. The Irish goal had two narrow escapes. The first corner came to ireland after thirty minutes. The ball came to Lacey, who put across the goal and Gillespie, who appeared to be offside, beat Dawson for the first goal. England retaliated strongly, and Harrison forced a corner, but Walker headed wide. Within five minutes England equalised. Harrison dropped the ball into the goalmouth and Kirton headed into the net. Half-time; Ireland 1, England 1. Final; Ireland 1, England 1.

October 24, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton maintained their reputation as the premier “drawists,” and shared the points with the leaders of the Combination, at Garston. They have thus five drawn games to their credit in six matches. It was a good game, despite heaviness due to rain. Garston were the better side in the first half, a condition which was reversed after the interval. Cox played a brilliant game in goal for the home team, and the half-back line was also a strong point. For Everton prominent work was done by the wing forwards, Russell on the right and Sharp on the left.

October 24, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
George Harrison and Sam Chedgzoy played for the English against the Ireland League at Belfast, before an attendance of 30,000. The game finish 1-1. Chedgzoy was the most brilliant player in the team, and Harrison his club mate was little unferior, Harrison dropped the ball into the goal mouth for Kirton to head into the net for the equaliser.

October 29, 1921. The Liverpool Courier. |Everton, who journey to Boundary Park for the return game with Oldham Athletic, are introducing Crossley into the side, while Harrison and Chedgzoy are both available. Last week Reid and Peacock were not at their best, and the elimination of the pair for today's game will not create surprise. The last named's player is being filled by Allen Grenyer, who should do well. Despite then showing at the Park, Oldham were not satisfield, and changes have been made in the side, the most prominent of which is the exclusion of Wynne, the former Neston player. It should be a good game, with Everton just scraping home. The teams selected are: - Everton, Fern, Downs, McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Grenyer, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison. Oldham Athletic: - E. Taylor, Grundy, Freeman, A. Marshall, Pilkington, W. Taylor, Wallace, Bell, Butler, Toms, and H. Marshall.

October 31, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
Oldham Athletic took a point from Goodison Park, and Everton made honours even by helping themselves to a point at Boundary Park, so that both camps are satisfied. The goalless draw was a very fair criterion of the game, too, because it pays a well-deserved compliment to the defences. It may not be generally realised, but is a matter of fact, that with the single exception of Liverpool, Oldham have given away less goals this season than any other club in the First Division, including the champions. From this it will be seen that Everton, were up against it. At the same time, the Blues should have scored twice. On one occasion Davies had manceurved for position, and was ready to shoot at short range when Crossley dashed up and drove the ball over the bar. Had he netted, of course, his action would have been lauded as an inspiration, so he cannot be blamed for impulsively endeavouring to improve on a good situation. Davies had his opportunity when he turned a square pass into a slow header, when he had time to nod the ball down and shoot. However, both Butler and Toms missed splendid openings, which brings us back to the starting point that a draw did neither team an injustice.

The game was hard fought for the full 90 minutes, although there were stoppages for injuries to Chedgzoy, Downs, Grenyer, and Bell, these were but the accidents of circumstances, both elevens playing the game in the fullest sense of the term. There were only about 15,000 spectators present, but they were kept keenly interested all through, as the run of the play was most even, first one goal and then the other being assailed. Even so, each set of backs was so efficient that the custodian were not unduly pressed. Fern dealt quickly and well with all that came his way, and Downs and McDonald were once again in their happiest vein after a moderate opening when facing the strong breeze, being bothered at first by the “break” of the ball, which was inclined to play tricks on the broken turf. Brewster was in capital form, being a great assistance to the men in front, whilst he almost scored a surprise goal with a furious forty yards' past. Fleetwood gave Tattan very little latitude, while Grenyer faced the more enterprising, Wallace very creditably, despite being badly jarred through falling on his spine. Chedgzoy and Harrison were in international form, slipping across some excellent centres, while Fazackerley was tricky.

Crossley, however, was palpably short of practice after his enforced rest, and Davies though shooting were, would be better advised to bustle the backs more. Taylor, Grundy and Freeman were a wonderfully good defence for the Lattics, and Pilkington was of great service as pivot, but only Wallace of the forwards was able to hit the ball right when openings came his way, the others frittering chances away in astonishing fashion at times. Teams : - Oldham Athletic: - E. Taylor, goal, Grundy, and Freeman, backs, A. Marshall, Pilkington, and W. Taylor, half-backs, Wallace, Bell, Butler, Toms, and Tatton, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), Fleetwood, Brewster, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards.

October 31, 1921. The Liverpool Courier.
At one period of the game between Everton Reserves, and Oldham Athletic Reserves, at Goodison Park, the home team appeared to have the match well in hand, but a fine recovery by the Latics in the last few minutes enabled them to secure a point, the result being a draw of three goals each.
Everton scored from a penalty converted by Garrett after two minutes, and from this point outplayed their opponents for the remainder of the first half, further goals being added by Wall and Irvine. The visitors improved following the resumption, and Evans lessened the deficit. The most exciting period of the game was still to come, however, for with only two minutes to play, F. Broadbent went through to net the visitors second point, and straight away from the kick off the same player caught the home defence napping and equalised the scores. Oldham certainly deserve all praise for their recovery, but Everton have only themselves to blame for the loss of a point, having slackened off when they thought the issue safe. The Blues played well all round. Fare and Livingstone were two good backs, with the latter slightly better by reason of his placing of the ball. Garrett and Leddy were the best of a good half-back line, while among the forwards none did better than Irvine. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Salt, goal, Fare, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Jones, Spencer, Irvine, Wall, and Alford, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Wynne, and Charlton, backs, Broadbent, WH Garrett, and Jones, half-backs, Broadbent, Wilkinson, Evans, Campbell, and Nord, forward. Referee W. Pearson.



October 1921