Everton Independent Research Data


October 1, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
After earning one point at Goodison Park a week ago against Huddersfield Town, the Everton team lost both points to the Huddersfield club at Leeds road on Saturday, and the encounter played in an atmosphere of extraordinary heat and humidity, and was full of incident from start to finish. In the main, however, it was a very disappointing display on the part of the visitors who in the end had to acknowledge themselves a thoroughly well beaten side. This was rendered all the more surprising by reason of the fact that they started in the most promising fashion. The opening exchanges of the contest were all to their advantage, and there were prospects of at least an honorable draw when the attack faded away into mere nothingness. Huddersfield made sure of their lead in the first period of the struggle, and in the second half they took very good care to allow their opponents no latitude. It is only fair to the Everton half-backs to say that they maintained their share in the attack with considerable spirit, but their efforts, thanks to the spineless of the forwards, counted for nothing. There is no doubt that on Saturday's form Huddersfield are a strong and well balanced team, and their victory created great enthusiasm among the 18,000 spectators present.

As we have said the Goodison Park brigade set a merry pace and within the first few minutes Hart sent in a long drive that might well have scored, while Chadwick followed suit with a second shot. It was not long, however, before the home club developed its attack in masterly fashion. Wilson distributed the ball to the forwards with nice judgement and following upon a couple of corners Brown netted the ball without giving Fern any chance of saving the situation. Everton replied with one or two capital movements, initiated by McBain, but the three inside forwards all failed to take advantage of the openings offered, and when they did get within shooting range they were invariable intercepted by either Barkas or Wadsworth. The Huddersfield vanguard were much more consistent in their methods, and after a period of pressing Smith gave the ball to Stephenson, who completely deceived both the Everton backs and scored a clever goal. In the second half the Evertonians seemed to go from bad to worse, although they struck gamely to their guns. More than once Cock tried to pull the forward line together, but without success, and the result was that their work generally was scrappy. On two occasions Parry dot down and centred well, but to no purpose, while Irvine was somewhat unlucky in not getting at least one shot home. Chadwick, also showed that he can shoot with strength when he gets possession, but here he twice put the leather just over the crossbar. In the closing stages Huddersfield had matters all their own way and the result of the game was never in doubt.

Fern could scarcely be blamed for either of the goals that beat him and he effected one or two very smart clearances. The backs were smart, but not so secure as one could have wished, McDonald having all his work cut out to try and keep the home left wing pair in check. The three half backs all played good football, and little blame can attach to them for the defeat. Enough has been said to indicate that Everton's weakness lay in the forward line, Cock showed glimpse of his cleverness at times, but he was not well supported by either of the wings. Stephenson and Smith made a brilliant wing and were primarily responsible for the victory, though in all departments Huddersfield were keen and nippy. Teams: - Huddersfield Town: - E. Taylor, goal, Barkas and S. Wadsworth, backs, Cawthorpe, Wilson, and Waiters, half-backs, Watson, Cook, Brown, Stephenson, and WH. Smith, forwards. Everton: - Fern goal, McDonald, and Livingstone backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Parry Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Harrison forwards. Referee WW. Brearley.

October 1 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Play was very even in the opening stages, at Manchester, each side attacking in turn. Finlay missed a fine chance when he passed instead of shooting. McGrae opened the score for Everton, but before the interval Warner netted twice for the home team. The second half was contested at a fast pace. Following a centre by Etherington, Kicks scored at the second attempt Williams added a fourth for City and Peacock a second for Everton.

October 1 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
This fixture took place at Goodison Park before a fairly good attendance. Although Everton were defeated they had enjoyed the bulk of the play. Their forwards were seen in fine shooting form, particularly Torley and Wall, and hard lines with shots that rebounded from the crossbar. Kemp, the Ranger's keeper, was seen at his best in dealing with so awkward shots, especially in the first half. The first goal came to the Rangers through Rawling's fine work. He sent in a strong drive, which compelled Lawson to run out and clear, but before the keeper could return Barlow shot into the untenanted goal. Ten minutes later Forrest equalised. During the second half chiefly in the early stages, Everton were very prominent but they could not find the net, and both Johnson and Huyton, in the closing moments, added further goals for the visitors. On the run of the game Everton did not deserved to be beaten.

October 1, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Sam Chedgzoy help England beat Ireland by six goals to 2 at Belfast, in front of 13,000 spectators. Chedgzoy played a delightful match, which delighted the crowd.

October 4, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Goodison Park, yesterday, Everton Reserves fielded a strong side against Manchester City Reserves, and beat them 2-1, all the goals coming in the last five minutes of a rousing wind-up to a game which was spoiled by the heavy rainfall, making the ball and the going awkward. Reid was responsible for the first goal, and Forbes scored in another minute to be followed later on by the right flank of the Everton defence standing still while a centre was put in for Browell, one time Everton player to "nod" a goal. The form all round was but fair Everton's defence was not seriously tested, neither was either goalkeeper. Downs did his usual defending tricks and Peacock, Reid and Grenyer made a strong half-back line –the best feature of the side. The home forwards were below par. On the side none did better than the left full back and left half back, while at forward Johnson was responsible for some good runs –solo efforts that were generally crowded out.

October 4, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
For Saturday's encounter at Goodison Park Troup, who dislocated his shoulder in the Lancashire Cup-tie with Bury, returns to the team to the displacement of Harrison, Chedgzoy returns after his appearance in the Ireland, and these are the only changes from the team beaten by Huddersfield last Saturday. On the Liverpool side there will be two changes from the team which defeated Burnley. Knee trouble prevents the appearance of Longsworth whose place will be taken by Lucas. Chambers who played in the inter-League, displaces Beadles. The selected teams are: - Everton, Fern, McDonald, Livingstone, Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup. Liverpool: - Scott, Lucas, Mackinlay, Macnabb, Wadsworth, Pratt, Lacey, Forshaw, Walsh, Chambers, and Hopkins.

October 8, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton beat Liverpool in the first of the local "Derby" games at Goodison Park, on Saturday and few of the 51,000, who paid £3150 for admission would deny that the victory went to the clever side. Indeed, the score rather flattered Liverpool, for Everton were really a better side than the score indicates, and on the play they deserved to win by a greater margin. For the most part it was bright, clean, football, and the players deserved credit for the efforts they made to play the game in the right spirit. Liverpool were without Longsworth, and it was expected that Lucas would fill the vacancy, but at the last moment he was kept out of the side through injury, and Parry was introduced to partner McKinlay. It could not be said, however, that parry's inclusion affected the result, for little fault could be found with Liverpool's defence. The chief weakness was in the half-backs, especially the wing halves who were quite incapable of holding the Everton forwards. This weakness was reflected in the work of their own forwards who, without the support that should have been forthcoming from the middle line, failed to penetrate the Everton defence with the power necessary for success.

The goal that won the game for Everton was cored by Chadwick after 30 minutes' play, and it is safe to say that a better goal has not been seen at the Goodison ground for many a long day. McBain served up nice pass down the centre, and Chadwick, taking the ball in his stride, moved a couple of yards, and then drove in a shot with such force, that Scott was powerless to prevent the ball entering the net at the corner. It was an electrical movement that left the defence helpless. For some time prior to this Everton had shown great keenness, and their play reached a high standard. Liverpool too, played well, but there was not the same consistency of effort and that Everton should take the lead was only in keeping with the trend of the play. Two free kicks, fell to Everton early on and a fine shot by Troup, who has not played a better game this season, brought Scott to his knees. Then McKinlay took a free kick that pulled a trifle wide and a clever movement by Liverpool caused much concern in the Everton goal. Forshaw got the ball across and it needed only a touch to send it to goal. Walsh just failed to reach the ball and when Hopkins returned it Pratt shot for Fern to save by advancing to meet the drive. There was plenty of shooting and both Troup and Chambers were prominent with good efforts.

The pace was fast and delightful footwork was made more attractive by deft touches. McBain was a master in this respect and the solid work of the Everton middle line played a big part in the fortunes of the game. Although Liverpool opened the second half with a vigorous attack Scott was soon busy and when he fell, and for a moment lost the ball, he was fortunate to meet Irvine's shot while on the ground. Hart started a dribble and worked up a splendid position, but he held the ball too long instead of passing to Cock who was standing with an open goal. Then Fern was almost beaten when he fumbled a centre by Forshaw and the ball was only cleared with difficulty. The good shooting continued and after Walsh had shot wide from a difficult angle Everton returned to the attack.

Chadwick provided another thrill, and Scott relied with a magnificent save. It was a brilliant shot that Chadwick aimed at the Liverpool goal, and as the ball appeared to steer a course for the corner of the goal, Scott threw himself full length and caught it with great cleverness. Troup occasionally fell back to help the defence as the Liverpool attack increased, but the nearest Liverpool got to a goal was when Walsh headed on to the crossbar from a corner. Chadwick was a trifle late in controlling the ball, and he missed a fine chance of increasing Everton's score, but the greatest miss of the day was made by Cock, who shot very wide with an open goal. Everton certainly saved their best work for the game, for there was not a weak link in the side. The defence was sound, and the cleverness of the half-backs eased the work for the defenders to an appreciable extent. McBain played a great game. He was tactful and effective in all his movements. There was a capital understanding in the forwards, and Irvine and Chedgzoy paired to greater advantage than for some weeks. Troup has rarely been seen in better form. He made many spirited runs and his shooting was extremely good, while Chadwick was always a dangerous shooter. Scott was the great man on the Liverpool side and Parry and McKinlay did a deal of capital work, but they were too heavily burdened through the collapses of the half back line. Wadsworth played with great energy did the utmost in a difficult position. By comparison the Liverpool forwards were poor although Chambers tried hard to give his side a lead. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Liverpool: - Scott, goal, Parry, and McKinlay (captain), backs, McNab, Wadsworth, and Pratt, half-backs, Lacey, Forshaw, Walsh Chambers, and Hopkins, forwards. Referee Mr. Howcroft.

October 8, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Burnden Park. Everton's resolute defence allowed the Bolton forwards few opportunities in the first half Downs and Raitt tackling ruthlessly. Walsh scored Wanderers' first goal from a corner kick, and a blunder by the Bolton keeper enabled Wall to shoot into the untenanted goal. Neither side could claim an advantage up to the interval, but afterwards came suprises. The Everton halves weakened considerably, and Downs and Raitt had a grueling time. Jot got across many telling centres from the Bolton right, and for half an hour the pressure was continued. Shot, after shots rained in, Lawson often saving cleverly though his charge had miraculous escapes. Twenty minutes elapsed and Hinton was plied with a long harmless volley by Reid. Unexpectedly the Bolton defenders were overwhelmed. Grenyer scoring with a brilliant long surprise shot. Weller netted the third with a hot drive from a dozen yards Simpson rubbing off one of the arrears in the last minute.

October 10 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton go to Anfield on Saturday with strong hopes of repeating last week's success against Liverpool. In the previous 28 matches on Liverpool's ground Everton have won ten and lost five, but they hold a record for the ground which Liverpool cannot touch in the corresponding games at Goodison park. This was achieved in pre-war days when Everton won no fewer than seven matches in succession. Liverpool's best record at Goodison was three consecutive wins in the three seasons just before the war. Since the war Everton have not won at Anfield, but they drew two seasons ago. They heaviest defeat was in the match last season which Liverpool won 5-1. No chances is to be made in the team which beat Liverpool at Goodison last week so that Everton will be represented in Saturday's match by Fern, McDonald, Livingstone, Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup.

October 15, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The second of the local "Derby" games between Liverpool and Everton ended in another win for Everton. The score at Anfield on Saturday was slightly different. Everton gaining the verdict by 2-1, as against 1-0 at Goodison the previous week, but the general conclusion was the same –that Everton were the better side, and well worth their victory. Thus in a season have Everton tarnished Liverpool's record of post-war success at both Goodison and Anfield. Saturday's contest was in keeping with the high standard set the previous week, and of hard honest football. The season's local games have been fine examples. Liverpool made two changes, Lucas displacing Parry in the defence, and H. Wadsworth taking the place of Lacey, who was ill. These changes mattered little, for it was the half-backs who controlled the game and decided the issue. Everton's strength was Liverpool's weakness, and the game turned in Everton's favour chiefly through the masterly display of their middle line.

Liverpool started well enough, and the attack was not the spiritless thing of a week ago. In fact, there was little to choose between the sides up to the interval. Afterwards there was no comparison at all, for the Everton forwards, especially the right wing, backed by a powerful half-back line never relaxed their tenacious grip upon the Liverpool defence, and Scott was fortunate to escape with a single goal against him. There could be no complaints on the score of pace, for the game throughout was played with commendable enthusiasm and spirit. Early on it was obvious that Liverpool were anxious to do themselves justice, and the side moved faster than a week ago, Chadwick got in the first shot, and Liverpool forced the first corner, off McBain, but the best effort in the early stages came when Chedgzoy dropped the ball into the Liverpool goalmouth. In spite of the brilliant sun Scott kept the ball out cleverly, and a few minutes later Walsh opened the scoring for Liverpool. H. Wadsworth centred the ball almost from the touchline, and it fell at the feet of Walsh, who was standing in the centre of the Everton goal. For a moment it seemed as though the Liverpool centre had failed to take the chance, but after steadying himself he shot and the ball touched one of the Everton defenders and was deflected so that Fern, who had advanced a stride, merely touched it as passed beneath the bar into the net. This success at the end of 11 minutes' play was nullified 12 minutes later through a mistake by Pratt. The half back was troubled to find a way of clearing the ball near the corner touchline, and as he swung round Chedgzoy who had followed up swept the ball along much to Pratt's surprise and from a narrow angle drove in a shot that completely beat Scott.

With the scores level the contest was waged with even greater earnestness, and the Everton forwards were not only fast, but clever. Still there was very little good shooting, but Liverpool missed a fine chance when Wadsworth put the ball across the Everton goal, for it was allowed to pass without a shot. Everton scored what proved to be the winning goal after the second half had been in progress 14 minutes and Cock was the scorer, although Chedgzoy was the originator of the goal. Chedgzoy got through while McKinlay appealed for offside and swerving goalwards to avoid Wadsworth's challenge, he sent in a shot which Scott dived for and just succeeded in diverting, but before he was able to clear Cock, who was on the spot turned it into the net. Fern was not always sure with his handling for he fumbled a shot by Chambers, which he ought to have cleared easily. From this stage to the end Everton were clearly the superior side, and much work was thrown on the Liverpool defence through Troup's clever centres. Irvine wasted one of the best chances when he shot wide after beating the Liverpool defence with a fine solo run. McKinlay tried to force an opening by joining the forwards and a great run by Hopkins fizzled out through the forward holding the ball too long. In point of merit there was little difference between the respective defences, but Scott appeared more confident than Fern, for he handled the ball with greater sureness. The backs on both sides were moderate.

Everton had a big advantage in the intermediate line for the work of Hart, and McBain frequently touched a high level. On the Liverpool side Wadsworth worked hard with a fair measure of success, but Pratt and McNab were very deficient in constructive work. H. Wadsworth and Forshaw started well, but soon fell away and Chambers and Hopkins were easily the better wing. The Everton attack was better balanced and more effective. Chedgzoy played one of his best games and Irvine was little inferior. Troup was more prominent with passes to the extreme wing and accurate centres than in direct attacks. Chadwick was again a dangerous shooter although he got fewer openings and Everton's best work came from the right wing. Teams: - Liverpool: - Scott goal, Lucas, and McKinlay (captain), backs, McNab, Wadsworth, and Pratt half-backs, H. Wadsworth, Forshaw, Walsh, Chambers, and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards . Attendance 50,000. Approximate receipts £2,900.

October 15, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In the return fixture, at Goodison Park, Bolton reversed the previous week's score when Everton inflicted upon them their first defeat, by winning 3 goals to 2. The home side were soon attacking the Bolton goal, and Harrison and Wall were very prominent on the left. In the first few minutes Miller had a grit goal from one of the former's centres, but he shot went very wide of the post. After 10 minutes' play Bolton opened the score through Baggot, who headed a nice centre from Simpson into the net, and a few minutes later the same player got a second after good work by Wright. Everton did not deserved to be two goals in arrears, as they were continually on the attack, but Hinton in goal, saved many awkward shots. The persistency of the home attack was awarded in rather a lucky fashion, for Thirkwell, in attempting to clear, kicked the ball against Miller, and it rebounded into the net. The home team tried hard for the equaliser, and both parry and Williams missed chances. Prior to the interval Walsh scored Bolton's third goal. Everton started the second half in determined style, and bombarded the Bolton goal, Harrison reducing the lead, with a penalty kick. Afterwards both goals had some narrow escapes, with Everton the more prominent. During an exciting finish Bolton adopted the kicking out game, and retired winners by the odd goal in five.

October 16, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The difference in style of the first and second division football was made evident yesterday, when Everton received a visit from Stockport County in the Lancashire Senior Cup Competition. It has generally been acknowledged that the difference between those sections is vast, and the minor league depends upon the kick-end-rush standard. Such proved to be the case yesterday for Everton, with their tip-tap combination methods could not break down a stout barrier in the rearguard and the result was that Stockport got away with a goalless draw. Perhaps they were fortunate but at least it can be said that Everton were unfortunate not to get a penalty kick when Troup was pushed in the penalty area. Referee Ward placing the free kick just outside the penalty mark. Then the home side was unfortunate enough to lose the services of Chedgzoy for half an hour, that player having a muscle injury that does not threaten to keep him out of the side on Saturday against Notts County. Williams, who deputised for Chadwick (rested), was not swift to take a chance. He was always looked upon as a nippy player with a deadly shot, but now he was rather in lumbersome mood and missed some good chances. Probably a game or two will bring him back to his former swiftness and sure shot. The remarkable feature of the game was the defence of the Stockport goalkeeper and the absence of work for Fern, in front of whom McDonald and Livingstone played splendid football. Fern's worst trouble was when a shot from Woodcock nearly found its way off Hart's chest into the net. On the other hand Reid nearly put through his own goal and at an earlier point was passing back so strongly that the goalkeeper might have found reasonable ground for complaint against his attentions. However, Hardy, the Stockport goalkeeper, is one of the best in the land. His sure to catch and clear in one action, his anticipation and his confident method of clearing must have broken the hearts of the Everton men, Irvine excepted. Hardy bears a goalkeeping name and lives up to it. His punting, too, is probably longer than that of Howard Baker and Pearson, reputed to be among the leaders in the matter of length. On the visiting side Reid was uncertain back, and Cockburn at centre half was impressive . Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Williams, and Troup, forwards.

October 16 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton and Stockport are to reply their Lancashire Senior Cup-tie at Stockport on the 29 th Inst. The County side have produced a number of really good players, including in their numbers such men as Fryers, Covell, Walsh, of Liverpool (a looker on yesterday). They have had to fight hard to get their Second Division states, and much of their ability lies in defence where they boast one of the best goalkeepers in the land –a stiffly yet trimly built young man who has been the envy of many clubs. Hardy, is no relation to the famous Sam Hardy, of Liverpool, Villa, and Notthingham. Sam will doubtless be seen at Anfield, the scene of his early triumphs, on Saturday. Meantime scouts will doubtless have noticed that Cockburn is a centre-half of height and strength and like McBain, he does not believe in working for the ball and then ending his efforts with aimlessness in delivery, he places it so that the forwards shell go up the field and thus relieve him of any further work. McBain is playing such an outstanding game that it is pretty certain the Scottish selectors will have to bring him in for the International.

October 18, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Yesterday, at Goodison Park, Everton Reserves was only able to draw 3-3 with Derby County Reserves in a capital League match that bristled with exciting features. Not only were two penalty kicks –one missed by Harrison and one successfully negotiated –but there was an element of spite in the game that at one time, near the end, looked like ending in ordering off cases. Goals came at a merry pace, Miller, Rowe, Keetley, and Moore scored in the first half, and Harrison, and Miller made the scores level. Everton's defence was not quite as good as usual, there being a tendency to slowness, and maybe this was due to the excellence of the Derby forward line, which showed Keetley a very useful inside-right and Moore a competent inside-left. In between these two was a tall fellow named Richardson, who shaped very well. Derby had Lawrence in goal and the two other tail members, Whiteman and Ritchie, as full back. It was an enjoyable game, and it showed that Derby has some reserve talent to play with when their first team members are ill or injured . Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt and Downs, backs, Weller, Reid (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, McGrae, Williams, and Harrison, forwards.

October 22 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Maintaining their greatly improved form Everton accomplished an excellent performance at Nottingham on Saturday when they divided the points with the County team. The latter had been going so strongly of late that the home supporters appeared to have little doubt that they would gain the full measure of the Goodison Park representatives. The latter, however, not only set up a sound defence, but put in a lot of really neat and clever footwork. Some of the forward play at times was quite sparkling and the only drawback to this was the frequent application of the offside rule, which not only spilt many promising movements, but incidentally wasted quite a lot of time. The general work of the visitors was rather more polished than that of their opponents, though on Saturday's play Notts County must be accounted a distinctly well balance side. They are especially strong in defence, and the main defect of the vanguard is that, whilst it is speedy, its finishing touches lack accuracy. It was for these reasons that the first half showed a clean score sheet. There was am improvement in the second period when each side netted once, and this result in perhaps, the best reflex of a very fast, interesting and agreeably clean contest.

The home side set a strenuous pace, and in the first two minutes Cock failed after making a very clever run. A little later Hill, the inside left with a fortuities shot missed the target by inches only. Everton's reply was both strong and earnest, and their general combination was, as we have already suggested, superior to that of the home side. First Troup and then Chedgzoy got in magnificent centres, which the lengthily Iremonger was called upon to deal with. These attacks were succeeded by good work on the part of the three inside men, and Chadwick was rather unlucky in missing with one hard drive. The Everton centre rather failed to take advantage of the openings offered and once, when Peacock, was coming through, he was very cleverly held by Kemp. The second half started in the presence of 18,000 spectators, and the game continued at the same exhilarating pace. In the first few seconds the County centre forward propelled the ball against the foot of the post, but Fern managed to clear. The home quintet swooped down again, and on this occasion from a pass by Daly, Cock opened the score. For a considerable period the County exercised pressure, but Everton eventually took up the running in great style and J. Cock put the ball to Chadwick, who was able to ram the shot home with force. From this point to the close Everton enjoyed the bulk of the attack and within the last minute of the game they might have snatched a victory if Cock had put more stings behind the shot, which Iremonger saved amid tremendous excitement.

The distinguishing feature of the match so far as Everton is concerned was the soundness of the defence. Both Livingstone and McDonald were in their happiest vein, and the half-backs proved once more again that they must be considered among the best half-way line in the county. While displaying cleverness, the forwards were hesitant about shooting, as observation, which applies with equal force to the opposing side. In Ashurst and Cope Notts have a very strong pair of backs while their half line is by no means a weak one. The Everton directors and players had a rather storming experience on the homeward journey. Their dining saloon was derailed just as the train was entering Derby station. Fortunately it was travelling at a slow pace, and on one was hurt, though the passages had to leave the coach and find accommodation in another train. Teams: - Notts County:-Iremonger, goal, Ashurst, and Cope, backs, McPherson, Dinsdale, and Kemp, half-backs, Daly, Cooper, D. Cock, Hill, and Platt, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Scholey, of Sheffield.

October 22, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Goodison Park. The Everton forwards were in rare shooting trim, especially Forbes, the centre who scored all the goals. If Blackpool had taken their opportunities the score would not have been so heavily against them, for they had quite as much of the play as Everton. In the first few minutes Harland almost blundered with a shot from Thompson, but later made a splendid save from Butler. Parry and Miller were Everton most dangerous wing, the former continually sending in fine centres, which greatly harassed the visitors' backs. The game was 30 minutes old before Forbes scored the only goal prior to the interval. The second half had only been in progress five minutes when Forbes scored the second with a shot that curled into the net of Hackling's reach. Harland afterwards saved from Charles, and later a shot from Watson rebounded from the post with the Everton keeper well beaten. Then Forbes scored the third, Downs saved what promised to be a certain goal by heading out from between the sticks, when Harland was out of goal. Towards the end Everton did most pressing, and Forbes added the fourth. It was a good first game with Blackpool good value for a couple of goals.

October 22, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Ireland beat England by two goals to one at Windsor Park, Belfast, on Saturday Robert Ireland playing for the Ireland in front of 24,000 spectators.

October 22 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Burscough Rangers clearly deserved their victory against Everton "A" who were the visitors to the canal port. At the same time, they were fortunate in securing an early lead, though Pilkington in the first attack they made on the Everton goal, Lawson having no chance. Up to the interval, just before which Torley equalised there was little in the teams, but in the second half Burscough were by far the more aggressive side, and early on recovered the lead through Barlow, the ex-Burnley player, Lawson kept a splendid goal for Everton, two of his saves, one in each half, being superb. Caddick was the better back, and Weir a fine centre half, with Torley and Curries, the extreme winger, the best of a young line of forwards. For Burscough Ashurst (right back), Jones (centre half), and Payne and Pilkington (forwards) were the pick, but there was not a weak man in the side.

October 23 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
After losing Reid who was kicked in the side after five minutes, and badly bruised, Everton Reserves were beaten 6-2 at Sheffield yesterday, by Wednesday Reserves. The loss of Reid disorganised the side, but Everton fought stoutly in the first half, and at the interval each side had scored once. In the second half Downs became a sixth forward in a vain attempt to save the game, but this move weakened an already tottering defence, and in the last 25 minutes the Wednesday put on five goals. Harland made some brilliant saves, but had no chance with the shots that beat him. Weller and Grenyer worked tirelessly, but could not cope with the Wednesday attack. The Everton forwards combined badly. Harrison, and Parry, the wingers being weak. The strong home halves were thus able to play an attacking game, and Wednesday generally were on top. Everton looked like making a fight of it, when the score was 3-2, but further goals for Wednesday settled the issue. Williams and Forbes scored good goals for Everton, but two of the Wednesday goals were from doubtful positions.

October 23, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The application of Everton to allow Chedgzoy to accept a coaching appointment in Canade was sanctioned. The application had already been approved by the Football Association. Among the players' registrations cancelled were those of A. Bamford and W. G. Voss New Brighton.

October 24 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
For Saturday's return match at Goodison Park against Notts County the Everton directors are making one change in the side which secured a draw last week at Nottingham. This is necessitated by the fact that Irvine is available after his visit to Belfast for the International, and he comes into the side to displace Peacock. The team therefore is: - Fern, McDonald, Livingstone, Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, Troup.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 27 October 1923
For the return match with Notts, at. Goodison Park to-day, Fverton again had the assitance of Irvine, and Peacock was excluded. The Magpie were- represented by the team that, drew last week. Rain fell heavily during the morning, but the sun shone later, though the boisterous wind threatened to interfere with the play. Notts.-Iremonger; Ashurst (captain), Cope, McPherson; Dinsdale, Kemp, Daly, Cooper, Cock (D), Hill and Platts.  Everton; Fern; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock (JG), Chadwick, and Troup.  Referee; Mr. A Scholey, Sheffield. 
About 30,000 people assemble at the start and Ashurst winning the toss secured for his side a useful advantage.  The Magpies advanced in attractive style in the first minute.  Donald Cock being whistled off-side as he gave Fern an armful and smart combination by the home forwards led to Chedgzoy putting in a perfect centre, Troup volleying hard across the goalmouth.  Livingstone arrested a dangerous centre from Platts but D. Cock sprinted back and rounding McDonald nearly with only the goalkeeper to beat contrived to miss by inches.  At the other end Iremonger punched away a centre from Chedgzoy, and Notts subsquently pressed spiritedly, Fern twice clearing long range efforts.  Troup went through and lifted the ball into goal for Iremonger to take it on both fists, and the Magpies, moving back rapidly, Kemps was wide with a terrific drive.  Fern caught another from Cooper, and Everton were completed to act entirely on the defensive for a time, D. Cock heading over from a well -judged centre from Daly, and the latter headed the ball on the top of the net directly afterwards.
Everton Take the Lead.
Everton broke away on the right, and clever work by Jack Cock and Chedorzoy was crowned by a square centre from the latter, and CHADWICK scored with a ground shot in eleven minutes, the ball striking the inside the upright and glancing through. The home side were very aqggressive but were beaten back. Kemp injured his leg, and changed places with Platts, and although Notts, made headway. Cooper misdirected from long range. Everton made an incursion on the right, and Troup had the goal in his mercy when Chadwick swept the ball into the centre, but shot straight at the goalkeeper, and after Iremonger had buffeted the hall back, Dinsdale cleared.  Chadwick next burst through and shot from two yards ranige, and again Iremonger saved magnificently.  Kemp returned his original position, but, Chedgzoy tricked him, and, running close in, a terrific drive, Iremonger pouncing on the ball, and again earning the cheers of the crowd. Hill was whistled off-side as he darted to take a pass from Daly, and Everton retaliating on the right, increased their lead in curios fashion with the game 27 minutes old. Chedgzoy penetrated the defence, and forced the ball towards goal, and as Kemp kicked away, it rebounded off DINSDALE back, and over the head of Iremonger the goalkeeper being entirely deceived by the influence exerted by the wind. Troup lost fine chance a moment later, and when Donald Cock endeavoured to force a passage he was overpowered. Dinsdale sustained a kick in the knee, but resumed after receiving trainer's attention. Everton continued to play the more finished football to the interval, forwards and halves combining perfectly, and J. Cock was only shade too high after cleverly working for position and Troupe also fired wide. Half-time: Everton 2, Nott County ... 0

October 29, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton beat Notts County in the return game at Goodison Park by three clear goals, and the margin did not exaggerate the difference between the sides. Indeed, but for the brilliant display by Iremonger in the County goal, Everton would certainly have recorded a bigger crop of goals. It was the County second defeat and the first registered by a team outside Nottingham. The game abounded in interest, and of the many live incidents that crowded the contest the most remarkable was the goal that gave Everton their second point before the interval. Kemp, in attempting to clear from a centre by Chedgzoy, kicked the ball against Dinsdale, and it hovered high over the County goal. The wind carried the ball upwards, and Iremonger lost sight of it, and was probably justified in thinking it had been carried over the bar. The ball, however, came down in front of the goal, where it was again caught by the fitful wind, and before Iremonger could recover from the surprise it was carried just under the bar and into the net, the goalkeeper making a futile attempt to reach it. Everton combined clever footwork with deadly shooting and although the County played well they were beaten by a more skilful and better-balanced side. In fairness to Notts it should be stated that an injury to Kemp early on rather disorganised the side for a time, but this had only a minor effect upon the result.

Notts were a sprightly side in the early stages, and Cock was prominent with several smart raids. It would have created no surprise had Notts gained an early lead so incisive was their attack. Everton, however, replied with clever work, and the pace and nippiness displayed by both sides won the enthusiasm of the crowd. It was football of the best type, and Chadwick's goal at the end of twenty minutes was the finish of a clever movement by Chedgzoy, the ball came to Chadwick unexpectedly, for both Cock and Irvine manoceurved for an opening and Cock' judgement in putting the ball across to Chadwick was well conceived. Everton kept up the pressure and Troup after taking steady aim, sent in a tremendous shot that hit Iremonger, and a moment later a hard drive from point blank range by Chadwick shared a similar fate. There was sufficient excitement to please the most ardent enthusiast, and Everton had neutralised the effect of the County's clever work early on. Iremonger made a capital save when Irvine shot. The injury to Kemp caused no exchanges of position's between Platts and Kemp, which was reversed just prior to Everton's second goal. The Notts defence had to sustain a deal of hard work and under Everton's relentless pressure the backs were inclined to reckless clearing. Everton had the wind behind them in the second half, and Daly opened the attack with a corner. After Iremonger had saved from Chedgzoy, Fern caught a high ball from Hill. Irvine was the outstanding player in the second half, and his deadly shooting gave Iremonger much concern. He shot from many angles, and Iremonger made many brilliant saves. Ten minutes from the end, however, Irvine's persistent work was rewarded with a capital goal as the result of a long drive that Iremonger just failed to reach.

The Everton forwards gave their best display of the season. Irvine was a deadly shooter, and he drew the Notts defence with great skill, while Chedgzoy responded with capital runs and judicious centres. Troup and Chadwick worked in perfect harmony, and Cock kept an even balance between the wings. The half-backs played well, and if they did not show up as prominently as usual they offered an effective check to the Notts attack. McDonald and Livingstone were sound, and Fern kept a good goal. Iremonger was the outstanding player on the Notts side. His wonderful reach and sure handling gave him an immense advantage. The backs were good and the half-backs controlled the lively ball with great effect. The forwards splendidly led by Cock made a formidable line, for they combined pace, and understanding with neat touches. Teams: Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown McBain, and Hart (captain) half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Ashurst, and Cope, backs, McPherson, Dinsdale, and Kemp, half-backs, Daly, Cooper, Cock, Hill, and Platts, forwards.

October 29, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Although no goal was scored, Saturday's encounter between Blackpool Reserves and Everton Reserves, at Blackpool, was full of interesting incidents. Each side gave an excellent display. Blackpool monopolised the play in the first half, and the Everton goal narrowly escaped on many occasions, Harland effecting several brilliant saves. The second half was tought in a torrential downpour. Play became more even and exciting. Harrison was most dangerous, one shot hitting the corner of the crossbar. Harland again distinguished himself when hard pressed.

October 30, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By "Bees"
After the exhibitions given by Everton in recent weeks it is passing strange to chronicle a 4-1 defeat from Stockport, after a drawn game at Goodison Park. Everton thought they won the first game but failed through not getting a penalty kick. They had other thoughts yesterday, when they had gone through the course of "football" served up at Stockport. They were quite content to lose. In case it may be imagined that I am writing up a defeat I can do nothing better than quote the words of a famous player, who had no interest in the game and who said, "some of the things that went on were very wicked," Others said, "Everton were beaten by a swifter, younger, and more hustling side." If that is hustling let us rename the game. It is a poignant fact that the referee had been changed for the occasion Mr. Andrews being in charge, and it is a fact that he did offer words of advice to some players, one an Everton player. "Take the man" seems to be the creed at Stockport, judging by yesterday's display. The team is so useful in a football sense that it is surprising they should develop these tendencies, Everton frankly tried hard to win, but tried hard to escape feet and legs and a defeat was their portions. The heart was knocked out of them.

The game, as a game developed into a sort of excess of hustle on the part of Stockport and a passive resistance on the part of Everton. The defence was on the collar most of the second half, and even they tried of the heavy work which fell on them enough the case with which certain players took their responsibilities in trying to save their legs. Perhaps J. Cock should not have played. Certainly he complained of chest trouble and his game suggested that he feared to do himself justice. Thus a lot of work fell on to other players and in such a case it struck me that it would have been better had the player gone off the field. Some of the other Everton players would possibly have realised the chance of escape! Hart got a nasty bang early on, but played on, and the free kick for the offence should have been added to by a reprimand of the man who swept the feet of the opponent from under him. The ball was away from the scene of action and therefore the player had no right to make such a "tackle." Stockport have certainly a splendid goalkeeper in Hardy, who has been tempted to leave the town many times, but remains loyal to his game and his music. He has tough backs in front of him, the left back being the surer kick, and both being deadly in their rush. At half-back Cockburn further impressed, and in the forward line Purcell took some fancy, but I was the more struck with Wilson, at inside left. He made the former Villa winger Edgley, play a hearty game. At centre Woodcock is a lively wire, and has pretty touches in dribble and in dragged passes. Altogether Stockport can be made into a very useful side, for cup or League.

On the Everton side the backs were splendid the half-backs of customary excellence, Brown gaining high praise from the aforementioned international player. In the forward line there was a mixture of thrust and run, but they all failed to push home the advantage, save when Chedgzoy got his customary goal through a free kick taken inches outside the penalty are. As against Chadwick's goal however, there were goals to Purcell Edgley, Waterall, and Woodcock. The Stockport County representatives won the toss for the choice of ground against Liverpool in the next round, and the game takes place there on Monday week. Teams : - Stockport County: - Hardy, goal, Richardson and Reid, backs, Waterall, Cockburn, and Jones half-backs Critchley, Purcell, Woodcock, Wilson, and Edgley, forwards. Everton: - Fern goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.


October 1923