Everton Independent Research Data


October 1 1925. The Daily Courier.
By S.H.H.
Everton would appreciate a turn of fortune's wheel at Goodison Park. They have had a bad time up to now, and injuries sustained on the field have proved to be more troublesome than was at first though. Kendall, has not progressed as quickly as he and the club would desire, and it is possible he may have to stand down another week, much depends on how the goalkeeper and McDonald progress during the remainder of the week. In the event of the two men mentioned not having thoroughly recovered, no doubt Harland and Raitt will return to the side.

October 3 1925. The Daily Courier.
The visit of the champions, who have yet to taste defeat, such being the case, it seems strange that the directors of Huddersfield should drop England's goalkeeper, Ted Taylor, who, by the way, is a local, having learned his football with Balmoral. Thus Mercer, who helped the Yorkshire club to emulate Liverpool and win the championship a second time, does duty. Everton last week played Harland, in goal, but for today'' game chosen Kendall. However, I hear Kendall is a rather doubtful starter, and in his absence the club will probably call on Harland again. Jock McDonald has improved, and is practically certain to take the field as is Brown, so that Everton should be much stronger than they were in the local Derby. In recent years Huddersfield have shown up well at Goodison Park, but I am taking Everton today to be the first to lower the champions' colours. The teams read: - Everton: - Kendall; (or Harland); McDonald, O'Donnell, Brown, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup. Huddersfield: - Mercer; Barkes Wadsworth; Steele Wilson, Watson; Jackson, Cook, Brown, Stephenson, Williams.

October 5, 1925. The Daily Courier.
In spite of hopes cherished by their supporters, Everton failed to lower the colours of the undefeated champions at Goodison Park on Saturday. The game was watched by 35,000 in good football weather. McDonald and Brown were able to resume their places in the team, but Harland had to deputise for Kendall; Mercer kept the visitors' goal in place of Taylor. The opening stages were fairly even, and play was up and down the field. There was a slickness about the attacking movements of the visitors' front line that looked more businesslike that that of their rivals. The front line led by Brown, with Jackson, and Williams on the wings, was undoubtedly a strong combination. Both goalkeepers were tested fairly frequently in the first half. As the game progressed, however, the visitors gradually took the upper hand, but it was not till after half an hour that they succeeded in breaking through.

McBain, Hart, and Brown, had struggled manfully to keep them out, but finally the champions persistence told. From an attack near goal Brown drew McDonald, and running round, shot into an empty goal. Harland had left his charge in an abortive attempts to get to the ball first. Although this success of the visitors had plainly been impending for some time probably few expected them to repeat it so soon. At the end of three minutes, however, Brown scored another. This second reverse seemed to sting Everton into renewed vigour and they attacked strongly. Kennedy laid Mercer full strength with a beauty and Troup a few moments later lashed in a hot one, which however, went straight as an arrow to where Mercer was waiting for it. Judging from the first half, the Blues' chances could not be said to be excessively rosy. But you never know in football, and so the Goodison park men demonstrated.

Play had worked down well within the visitors' territory when Dean sent a nice pass to Troup. Now the outside-left was not well placed, being well to the left of the goal, and at an awkward angle. But he let fly, and although Mercer jumped from one post to the other he was too late, the ball glancing into the net. Low down off the upright. The full-hearted roar that went up bucked the Blues up, so much that they went and did again. It was Chedgzoy's goal, but I think he was rather astonished at his good fortune. He lobbed in a long pass from the wing, which looked as if intended for a centre. Mercer, however, was utterly bamboozled. Something elfish appeared to posses the ball. It bounced in front of Mercer, who dashed out to admonish it for its skittishness by slapping it well down the field. Before he could do so the ball hopped over him into the net. Luck or no luck, a goal is a goal is a goal, and the crowd made it clear that was how they regarded it. Their second roar beat the first one. To their credit it must be said the homeboys did their best to justify the approval they had won, and for a time it looked as if they would pull the game out of the fire after all. Wilson, Watson, and Steele, however, and as a last line defender, Mercer, managed to wear down the heat of the Everton attack, and there were no more goals –at least for Everton. Brown won the game for his side by putting on a third in the closing stages. On the run of the play Huddersfield deserved to win. The Everton attack is still erratic at tomes, and it was because the visitors were superior in this department that they won. Usually the Blues' defence is pretty sound, but on Saturday did not seem so reliable. Brown, at right back was not quite his old self and although Hart and McBain did some fine tackling, they were frequently outwitted by Brown, Stephenson, and Co. Neither McDonald nor O'Donnell had one of their best days, and Harland, in goal occasionally seemed a little uncertain. Everton's left wing was their strongest point in attack. Troup and Kennedy being responsible for some clever work. Dean worked hard as he always does, but has not yet struck his best shooting form. Irvine and Chedgzoy did some good things on the right wing, but taking the one as a whole, it was not so convincing as one knows it can be. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forward. Huddersfield Town: - Mercer, goal, Barkes and Wadsworth, backs, Steele, Wilson, and Watson half-backs, Jackson, Cook, Brown, Stephenson, and Williams, forwards.

October 5, 1925. The Daily Courier.
After opening well, and leading 1-0 against Blackpool Reserves before 3,000 spectators, at South Shore, Everton Reserves, lost by the odd goal in three. Murray their centre who in the second half struck the crossbar scored for them with a close range shot in 28 minutes' but Tremelling almost immediately equalised with his head from a centre by Meredith, who has only once previously played in the second team. It was from another skilful display by this efficient winger that Tremelling, with the second half, but ten minutes' old, touched a partially cleared shot from Meredith into the net. Everton frequently showed smart scheming, but their shooting was at fault although not far out of range. Tremelling missed a penalty kick for hands, Jones deputizing well for Harland in the Everton goal.

October 6, 1925. The Daily Courier. The Central League match between Everton and West Bromwich, arranged to take place at Goodison Park tomorrow, has been postponed till Wednesday November 4, owing to the Inter-League game at Anfield.

October 8, 1925. The Daily Courier.
By S.H.H.
The Everton team for the match up in the Northeast with Sunderland makes strange reading including as it does the Northern Nomads amateur, C. G. C. Menham, in goal, and a half-back Peacock at outside right. There are in addition two other changes. Bain taking the place of Neil McBain as pivot, while Chadwick comes in as partner to Troup. At first glance these changes take away one's breath, yet on considered judgement one realises that the directors are acting rightly in making an effort to strike a winning combination. The form of the side in the last two games clearly showed it not good enough for winning matches, and one must congratulate the directors in taking the bull by the horns as it were thus early in the season. Let us hope their decision will bear fruit. The team is: - C.G.C. Menham; McDonald, O'Donnell; Brown, Bain, Hart; Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, Troup.

October 12, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton's defeat at Sunderland by seven goals to three was an amazing affair. There was a period in the game when it looked as if, to use a boxing phrase, the Blue “had them going.” And yet they lost by four clear goals. It is difficult to explain away the debacle. For the first half and 15 minutes of the second the visitors held their own, and when Troup put them ahead it looked as if Everton might possibly spring a surprise on the Wearsiders.

From the time, however, that Halliday made the scores three all the home team went ahead, and put on four more before the whistle went. It must be stated, however, that Chadwick and Brown both received injuries in the second half that did not add to their effectiveness for the rest of the game. The opening stages were even Sunderland opening the score after ten minutes, Parker sending onto the net following a free kick. Ten minutes later the Blues were level the goal evidently took the home team by surprise. Play had hovered about just over the half-way line when, the ball going forward to Dean he turned, and, taking it in his stride beat McInroy with a long low shot. Sunderland took the lead after half an hour's play, Marshall giving no chance to Menham with a close range drive. After this Everton played sparkling football, and it was only just reward when Troup taking advantage of a mistake by England, dashed up and put the sides level. The hopes of Everton were high when five minutes after the interval Troup again beat McInroy with a beautiful left foot shot, but ten minutes later Halliday equalised, and after that the Blues' defence went to pieces. The rest of the story is the recording of the Wearsiders' four goals.

Ramsey obtained the fourth, Halliday the fifth, Clunas the sixth, from a penalty kick against McDonald for handling, and Marshall the seventh. One of the goals, it is true was a penalty but Ellis looked like getting through when Everton right back handled. It is certainly something of a mystery how after such a promising start, the Blues should have collapsed in this fashion.

Halliday the Sunderland crack shot, was closely watched by the visiting halves for the first part of the game, And did not get too much rope. As the game progressed, however, Bain and his colleagues found the task of holding more and more difficult. The Wearsiders' positional play was excellent, and the shooting of their forwards generally accurate. Their defence, too, was good, and the shots that beat McInroy were unstoppable. Peacock made an excellent debut on the right wing, and on one occasion had extremely hard luck in not scoring. Irvine and Dean frequently showed an understanding of each other;s play, but the centre forward was not fed quite as much as one could wish. His goal, however, was a beauty. It was not known till after the match that Chadwick as a result of a collision with Cresswell, played on under difficulties. Troup, as usual, played a fine game. He has evidently appreciated the fact that today wing men's chance of scoring are much enhanced, and that they can afford, to work in towards goal and take a pot much oftener than hitherto. To be penetrated seven times is an eloquent testimony that the Blues' defence found the fierce Sunderland raids towards the close too much for it, it was surprising considering that Hart, Bain, and Brown had held the Wearsiders' attack fairly well up to the last 30 minutes. O'Donnell and McDonald did their best, and repeatedly stemmed formidable rushes, but towards the close began to show signs of the strain. Menham had a trying experience in his first game with the Blues. The shots which beat him were extremely difficult ones; on the other hand he made many fine clearances, for which he was deservedly cheered. Teams: - Sundeland: - McInroy, goal, Cresswell (captain), and England, backs, Clunas, Parker, and Andrews, half-backs, Prior, Marshall, Halliday, Ramsey, and Ellis, forwards. Everton: - Menham, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, Bain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

October 12 1925. The Daily Courier.
Defence prevailed in a game, which produced many thrills, and neither side could find the net. Everton, on the run of the play, should have won however, as at times they attacked with a persistence which must have been rewarded if the inside forwards had displayed more steadiness in front of goal. The Blues forced a series of corners in the first half without result, although on one occasion Broad was just over the bar with a header. Other shots by the centre forward and Kennedy were intercepted by the strong Huddersfield backs, while the keeper saved cleverly at times. The miss of the game came midway in the second half Kennedy drove in a brilliant shot which Dutton did well to stop. The ball went to Rand who lifted it over the bar when almost on the goalline. Kennedy almost scored with a free kick, Dutton just managed to turn the ball round the post. The Everton defence was strong. Harland made some good saves, while Kerr was a brilliant defender. Forward, Kennedy, did best, Huddersfield are certainly a good defensive side, but the forwards work left sometimes to be desired.

October 15, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
We understand the officials of Everton have recently been on the look-out for new players with a view to adding to the strength of the side, but first class players are not easily obtainable these days it should not be forgotten that Everton have had two goalkeepers injured this season (Kendall and Harland both being damaged) in addition to half a dozen other players, we have received numerous suggestions from amateurs teams builders, but believe the officials of the club may be relied upon to strengthen what have been weak spots in the side, and there may be some interesting news for the Goodison Park club's supporters before long. Encouragement rather than criticism is what Everton require just now.

October 17, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton try conclusions with another Lancashire side, Burnley, who a fortnight ago, upset Liverpool. After their debacle at Roker Park, supporters of the Blues would not have been surprised had the directors indulged in a further reshuffle of the defence. They have done no such thing, and with the exception that Livingstone comes in place of Donnell, the side is the same. C.G.C. Menham, the Nomads, goalkeeper, was sent out by the latter club as playing at Altrincham, but this, I understand, was only a provisional selection. Everton have shown their confidence in the amateur by selecting him for the Turf Moor match, and I feel sure he will not let them down. Burnley are a difficult combination on their own ground, and as they ran the champions to a goal last week they are not to be despised. I think Everton, however, will return with a point. The teams are: - Everton: - Menham; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, Bain, Hart; Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, Troup. Burnley: - Dawson; McCluggage, Waterfield; Hill, Armiage, Parkin; Kelly, Cross, Roberts, Beel, and Page.

October 17 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.
By Victor Hall.
Elsewhere in these recollections we have given instances of the dangers and difficulties, and at times of the humour, in the hunt for players of old; when team secretaries and committee even often went in positive danger in their quest for talent. There was another sort of adventure, though in those days and probably is still in the humours and pranks of a team on their frequent journeying. Football players are not old men or grey beards, and when on tour or away from the serious business of their games it is not surprising that the lighter side of things appeals to their buoyant nature. There is the old saying that “boys will be Boys” and most football players are yet “growing boys.” It is when they stop growing that they began to think seriously of their future. Sometimes, however, the “fun” is not all as harmless as it might appear. The Everton team, for instance many years ago on their London trips were accustomed to patronise a great commercial hotel not far from Covent Garden Market. The corridors of the different bedroom floors were flag paved instead of wood –fortunately –and each floor had circular openings directly under each other for lighting purposes. These openings permitted one on the third or fourth floor to look down through similar openings, directly underneath, to the ground floor. In the centre of each well-opening was a gas bracket, lit at night-time, and the view from above was of four or five lights below each other and in direct line.

The night before a certain match the players had been in great good humour. The directors had accompanied them to the Empire of the Alhambra –I forget which –and after supper on arrival back at the hotel the players were dispatched –like good boys –to bed under the watchful care of the trainer. Jack Elliott was not trainer in those days. Now, players, as we have said, are but growing boys, and every one knows boys don't like being sent to bed –too early! So that night there was some lacking when they climbed to their fourth or fifth floor. There was no lifts in those days, and on the way upstairs occasions was taken to remove certain boots from outside bedroom doors and change them with others, as exchange that in some cases had embarrassing consequences the nest morning when certain guests had to explain why their boots were left on the mat next to those of lady guests in distant rooms. Arrived upstairs, however, some lively spirits discovered the bedrooms of the secretary and some of the directors, whom they had left below “talking football.” This was too good a chance of a practical joke to miss, so bags were opened, and night apparel ties, collars, and hairbrushes carefully exchanged with those in other rooms. Some daring spirits made “apple pie” beds, and in one room the bedding was bodily removed, leaving bare the wire mattress. At that moment the alarm was given that the victim of the “joke” was coming up the stairs, and the perpetrator in fleeing along the corridor to his own room with the piled bedding in his arms accidentally dropped the pillow over the banister guarding the well light in the centre of the corridor! Instantly there was a crash of glassware repeated with growing clamour, further crashes, and eventually loud cries and shouts from the lower floors, and the grounding floor corridors! The culprit and his companions fled to their rooms and later when search was made for the offender, nothing bout loud snores came from behind the locked doors. What had happened was serious, and might easily, but for the flagged corridors have been tragic. In dropping the pillow through the well-opening, he had forgotten the lighted gas-brackets, that hung beneath it in the centre of the opening. The pillow smashed the glass and bracket into splinters through the floor below, working similar havoc there, and that mass again through the opening beneath that, and so on for four floors, smashing both glass and brackets in each case, and leaving on the tiled corridor in the hall a mass of broken glass shades and covers, with the gas left escaping from broken brackets on each floor above. Fortunately the night staff of the hotel were alert, and no more serious damage occurred. But the gas being turned off at the centre meter, everyone went to bed by candle light that night. Think what might have occurred. There was a rare bill to pay the next day.

October 19 th 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton have delivered the goods! Something had to be done. It was a complete alteration of tactics and playing accordingly to plan that brought off the coup. Mr. Cuff, chairman of the club, who, along with Directors Wade and Green, travelled with the team, in an informal toast at lunch, said: - “Let us hope to turn the corner, and return with a victory.” And it was so, Burnley sustained their first defeat at home. Everton's deferred success was due entirely to the fact that they played, as directed, what is now known as the “W” formation, the only profitable method under the new regulation –that is, the centre forward well up the field, and the inside forwards dropping well back. The Everton men also cut out fancy football. Displeasing as this may be to lovers of finesse and pattern-weaving, these do not get goals under new order. It was a case of a swift one-two from wing to centre and a being at goal every possible time. Quick passing, swinging the ball about, and no unnecessary dribbling on route to goal, paid. Everton has at length tumbled to the idea.

This style made the pace a cracker despite the heavy ground, and the referee remarked, as the team ran off; “It has been one of the fastest games I have refereed.” Why Burnley's skipper, Hill, with the choice with him, should have chosen to play against the wind puzzled and disturbed Burnley's supporters. Nevertheless, Burnley began early to rumble, the Everton defence, but Menham, the old Wallasey Grammer School boy, was on the top of his form. Once following a fine square centre by Page, he daringly got down to a row of toes and scooped the ball around the post. A corner was better than this dangerous attack. The only goal against him was a disputed offside proposition, awarded after a consultation between referee and linesman. In any case, Beel deserved as much credit for the goal as Roberts, for the former headed into an empty goal, and Roberts on the line gave the finish touches. Anyway, it was a nice point. McDonald was a sound and resourceful back generally coping with the elusive Page. Livingstone returned after his long absence through injury, displayed confidence, using his head and foot with judgement. Brown was the pick of Everton's halves, and Bain was a real handy man, bobbing up here and there and refusing to be put off his game by the vigours Tom Roberts, who adopted no parlour methods.

Dean, the 19 year-old centre forward, carried his honours modestly. His three goals came together. Troup help him with centres swept in with mathematical precision. Dean banging through without hesitation. Dean was in the picture throughout, enterprising and untiring. Little Troup who has such a powerful kick, was outstanding on the left wing. His form against the giant Hill, who failed completely to subdue him, made an amusing snapshot. Blinkhorn behind Hill was a weakness, but the Burnley local reserve was being tried high. The Troup and Chadwick wing was more in the picture than Irvine and Peacock on the right. Troup, over-played Blinkhorn. Peacock was more at home in the second half, he was well in at the third goal by Dean. Burnley failed to take first half chances, and Roberts did not follow Dean's example and played well up the field for-openings. Their backs were surprised by the way the Everton halves availed themselves of the first time pass. Parkin disappointed at times, and Armitage was overworked when Burnley attack fell away. Teams: - Burnley: - Dawson, goal, Blinkhorn, and McCluggage, backs, Hill (captain), Armitage, Parkin, half-backs, Kelly, Cross, Roberts, Bell, and Page, forwards. Everton: - Menham, goal, McDonald, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Bain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

October 19, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton had a strange Reserve side out on Saturday. Kendall although none to fit, was in goal, Chedgzoy inside right and O'Donnell at centre-forward. The game was one of the best Central league games seen at Goodison Park for a long time. Every one of the 90 minutes was full of incident. The football was very fast, it at times rather robust, with Everton just about having the best of the exchanges. Manchester led by two clear goals at the interval, both points being obtained by Sweeney. After the resumption Everton were very aggressive and O'Donnell headed a beautiful goal from Millington centre. A few minutes later the winger was brought down. The free kick was placed in the goalmouth, and Kennedy breasted the ball through. Straight from the kick off Manchester United raced away, and Iddon regained the lead with a fine shot. Later Kennedy placed Everton even again. O'Donnell, although opposed by a finer centre-half in Haslam, made a successful debut, as centre. He infused a great amount of dash into the game, and was the best forward. Millington led by Chedgzoy, was slow in getting away with the ball, but nevertheless put across some good centres. In the rare division Kerr again stood out as a strong back. Rooney was a good half, but had no luck when he drove the ball against the post with great force.

October 22, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton earned the right to contest the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup by defeating Liverpool, at Anfield yesterday by 4-0. On the run of the play the victory was well deserved, though Liverpool are deserving of sympathy, inasmuch as they managed to hold their opponents until five minutes from the interval, when Everton netted owing to a doubtful penalty decision. It appeared as though the ball, after striking the ground, came back on a tangent, catching Parry's hand. The referee, however, was quick to decide in favour of the Blues, and Kennedy was on the mark with his shot. This point appeared to turn the tide completely against Liverpool, with the result that, in the second half, Everton overran their opponents to the extent of three further goals. Weaver increased their lead immediately after the resumption, and within five minutes O'Donnell placed them three up, the centre forward again setting the seal on Liverpool's discomfiture before the finish. Everton displayed the better football. Of this there can be no question, and as a line the forwards worked better together than the Reds' quintete. The latter neglected Hopkins in the second half, and for a considerable part of the game the outside right was a spectator. He had been their most dangerous raider prior to the change of ends, and Davies, on whom more work was thrown, did not get the ball across in the same manner. Shone, however, was an assiduous worker, but Baron has been seen to better advantage. The Everton attack owed much to the generalship of Neil McBain, who played at inside right as to the manner born. Playing among the half-backs, he piled his colleagues with judicious passes, but was usually to be found within shooting distance when the ball was returned. That O'Donnell has had previous experience of the centre forward berth was obvious –he played in that position in his junior days –and the former full back gave a dashing and vigourous display, which was not altogether lacking in the finer points of the game. He also showed a refreshing disposition to shoot at every available opportunity. Lying well on the backs, he harassed the Reds' defence to good purpose, and was almost invariably in a position to accept what chances came in his way. O'Donnell has proved his versatility more than once, but his display in this game showed him as an even better utility man than was at first imagined. Both defenders were sound, Harland delighting by the confident manner in which he made his clearances. Riley too though beaten on four occasions, was far from disgraced, and in fact kept a good goal. The respective centre-halves were the outstanding intermediate men. Cockburn for Liverpool being particularly good in attack while Pratt more than held his own against Chedgzoy till Everton had made their position safe. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Kerr, backs, Rooney, Bain, and Virr half-backs, Chedgzoy, McBain, O'Donnell, Kennedy, and Weaver, forwards.

October 23 rd 1925. The Daily Courier.
Leeds United, who visited Goodison Park tomorrow, will find the Everton side changed in three instances from that which, won at Burnley. Irvine will be assisting his country at Belfast, and the Everton directors are overcome this by moving Peacock inside and bringing back Chedgzoy, where Kennedy displaces Chadwick. The team reads: - Menham; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, Bain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Peacock, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup. Everton Reserves to Oldham with O'Donnell continuing as leader. The Reserves will be: - Harland; Raitt, and Kerr; Rooney, Reid, Virr; Millington, Murray, O'Donnell, Chadwick, and Weaver.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 24 October 1925
The Northern Nomads’ goalkeeper, C. G. Menham, got into the good books of the Everton officials by his display against Burnley last week. They think is sure to become an amateur international. Like Fred Mitchell, he wears glasses, but not whilst playing. He has hefty punch, and once broke two fingers during game with an amateur side.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 24 October 1925
James Miller, the former Everton right winger who came to North End after the war, and who is one of the most travelled players in the game, is now with Luton. It is said that in the course of 11 seasons he has played with 11 clubs. This must be something like record.

October 26, 1925. The Daily Courier.
“What we have we hold” was evidently the motto of Everton when, with a comfortable lead, they resumed in the second half at Goodison Park. In fact the battle was as good as won in the first half. Everton in that stage played more convincing football than at Burnley, Leeds United showed too late, they could play better football than that they stated with, and that with Wainscoat off, unfortunately, seriously injured. Everton might have scored even more goals, but in the last quarter they dropped into their old style. The pretty “me to you, and you to me” passes were introduced, and occasionally a half-back slipped the ball to a back. Leeds took advantage of this, but, of course, their tactics was hopeless at this stage. At no period did Everton find the circumstances for the open game so favourable as at Burnley.

Undoubtedly both sides were puzzled by the antics of a light ball, which skidded swerved and spun in extraordinary fashion. Chedgzoy sampled it first at the outset, when he flashed the ball across the goal-mouth, and it glanced off the upright. He was surprised to see the ball curl out, for he felt certain it was going through. The direction of some of Bain's passes was spoiled by the same cause, and that was why he pushed the ball along rather gingerly at times. Whether Chedgzoy, introduced as right winger, is as fast as he was is a matter of opinion. He is convinced he is. Much improved, he was the outstanding forward on the day. He was a tactician, too, in outmanceuving Menzie, and plying Dean with passes along the carpet. The passes were indeed dished out freely and unselfishly to the young ex-Tranmere Rover, who seldom failed the trust reposed in him. Youth was served by experience, and Chedgzoy and Dean came to a fine goal getting understanding. At first the centre was inclined to forge too far ahead, with the result that Chedgzxoy had to lift the ball to outwit the opposition and get in his centres, whereas when he dropped back somewhat he got the ball along the ground, and only had to dash through. Dean is to be congratulated on his getting three goals two weeks on the run. On the present progress he has the making of a great centre, but he would be the first to acknowledge the help from his colleagues.

The Troup and Kennedy wing was effective if not brilliant. Credit must be given Kennedy for his great goal after 37 minutes. It was from Chedgzoy's centre, and was a first time shot taken, which was unusual, with the right foot. The Everton half-back line came up to expectation, with Bain as a splendid general utility man. Everton were well served by the last line; McDonald was a sound, cool back, although the mishaps, a pure accident, in which he was involved with Wainscott, the Leeds Captain, had an unsetting effect on him and all the players, who got to know the news on the field that the Leeds man had fractured and dislocated his elbow and had been taken to Stanley Hospital, where he remain till today. McDonald was clearing when Wainscott –following his goal who is one of Leeds heaviest players collided with him. The Everton man was winded and shaken. Livingstone was an alert partner. His damaged right ankle, which kept him out of the side so long, is about right again, but naturally Livingstone has the feeling to keep it out of danger from a tap. The amateur goalkeeper, C.G.C. Menham, must feel flattered at the reception he got on his first home appearance. His display justified the reception. Some supporters were saying that Menham is a Howard Baker in embryo. Good as Menham's display was, he has not quite the facility of the great amateur in getting up to high shots. He was not afraid to take risks most of his clearances were certain; but like Johnson, the Leeds goalkeeper, who had more to do, he was tempted too often to leave his charge. Leeds were not at their best till the closing stages, but Everton were more than value for their second win at home. Turnbull never got into action, for he received a tap on the leg, and was limping during the greater part of the game. Leeds did not succumb without a fight, and with more support Jennings their goal-scoring centre, who scored one, would have been seen to better advantage. Teams : - Everton: - Menhan, goal, McDonald and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Bain, Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Leeds United: - L. Johnson, goal, Allen, and Menzie, backs, Edwards, Hart and Baker, half-backs, Turnbull, Armand, Jenning Wainscott, and Jackson, forwards.

October 28, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Robert Irvine played for Ireland against England at Belfast, which ended with no goals being scored.

October 28, 1925. The Daily Post and Mercury.
From start to finish the home side, were hopelessly outplayed, only on very rare occasions did their forwards get near the Everton goal. The visitors were a more balanced and polished side. Their forwards were quicker on the ball, easily superior in combination and always more effective in finishing. The Athletic halves were where bad as a line, and failed badly in constructive work, Murray and O'Donnell scored for Everton. The surprise was there was not more goals. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt and Kerr backs, Rooney, Reid, and Virr, half-backs, Millington, Murray, O'Donnell, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards.

October 28 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Townsend-lane. The home side were beaten by the only goal scored in a game in which little good football was seen. Everton had many chances to score, but the inside forwards were erratic in shooting. As the game proceeded Port Sunlight improved, and it was only the fine play of Braithwaite and Hamilton, which kept down the score. Davies scored for Port Sunlight after his namesake had saved from Parry and Warty.

October 28, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton have made a change in their team to meet the Arsenal at Highbury on Saturday. Both Irvine, who played for Ireland against England at Belfast on Saturday and Peacock, who appeared against Leeds United are injured, and McBain has been chosen to play inside right to Chedgzoy, this being the first time the Scottish centre half has played forward in a League match for Everton. He occupied the inside right position in the Liverpool Cup-tie at Anfield last week, when his placing and judgment were of distinct value to his side. The team is C.G.C Menham; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, Bain, Hart; Chedgzoy, McBain, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup. The kick-off is at three o’clock.
The Everton Reserves team to meet Stoke City at Goodison Park, on Saturday is; Harland; Raitt, Kerr; Rooney, Reid, Virr; Parry, Murray, O’Donnell, Chadwick, and Weaver. O’Donnell is making great strides as a centre forward and has scored four goals in three matches.

October 29, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton completed negotiations with Stockport County yesterday for the transfer of Hardy, the international goalkeeper, and he will play for his new club at Highbury against the Arsenal, on Saturday. Owing to injuries to Kendall and Harland, Everton have been handicapped in this department of the team, and the amateur C.G. C. Menham, is not always available. Hardy is a skilful goalkeeper, and he should strengthen the side. Hardy was a member of the Football Association team which toured Australia last summer, and also gained international honours in the match between England and Belgium. In addition, he kept goal for the English League, against the Irish League last season. Apart from these occasions, he did not miss a match for Stockport, and appeared in 197 consecutive games before going to the Australian tour. He was born at Stockport, and signed for the County in the 1918-19 season, being promoted to the first team after the second match in the following campaign. He served in France during the war with Queen’s Royal West Surreys, and was a prisoner for eight months.

October 29 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton completed negotiations with Stockport County, yesterday for the transfer of Hardy the international goalkeeper and he will play for his new club at Highbury, against the Arsenal on Saturday, owing to injuries to Kendall and Harland. Everton have been handicapped in this department of the team, and the amateur c g c Menham, is not always available. Hardy is a skilful goalkeeper, and he should strengthen the side. Hardy was a member of the football association team which toured Australia last summer and also gained international honours in the match between England against Belgium in addition he kept goal for the English league against the Irish league last season. Apart from these occasions, he did not miss a match for Stockport, and appeared in 197 consecutive games before going on the Australia tour. He was born at Stockport, and signed for the county in the 1918-19 season, being promoted to the first team after the second match in the following campaign. He served in France during the war with the queen's royal west surreys, and was a prisoner for eight months.




October 1925