Everton Independent Research Data


October 1 st 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton deserved their narrow victory in their home match with their near rivals Liverpool. Their forwards were superior in the second half and might easily have added a number of goals if Liverpool had a less alert goalkeeper than Scott. The visitors were the better side in the early stages. Their forwards played with a dash and determination which several times placed Davies at the their mercy, but scoring chances were thrown to the winds. Hodgson and Edmed, backed up by Morrison, worked with a fine understanding and many clever runs were made by Hopkins; but neither Whitehurst nor McDougall was capable of utilising the goal-scoring openings created. Whitehurst had one glorious chance, but hesitated too long before he shot straight at Davies. Another time, when Edmed had provided him with the opportunity to dart between the backs, instead of letting fly at goal he placed over to the left, and McDougall, who came rushing up, was so taken by surprise that he bungled the opportunity when he did reach the ball. The Everton forwards commenced badly, but improved as the game advanced. It took them some time to get working smoothly, for they were not allowed to develop


The arrangement of the Liverpool defence was rather curious. Davidson never attempted much in the way of constructive play. His duty was to act as Policeman on Dean, and very effectively he did it, giving the Everton centre no room in which to work and repeatedly robbing him of the ball. Meanwhile Jackson was often working as a right half-back, with Morrison in the inside position. This worked well in the early stages, but in the second half when the Everton forwards were combining well in their attack, Jackson found he had enough to do defend his own lines. While Dean was still being effectively held up, Dunn, with the assistance of Hart, was proving the master schemer. He was supplying both Troup and Ritchie with long passes, and the backs and flash the ball into the goal with his head. He was really unlucky not to score in this fashion in the first half. He nodded the ball well out of the reach of Scott, but Done had rushed to the other side of the goal and was in time to kick the ball out.


Midway in the second half the Everton forward were showing much superior craftsmanship, and a chance of tactics by Dean led to Troup scoring the only goal of the match. Dean at this period of the game, deceived the home backs by not attempting to score himself when the ball was centred from the wings but turned it with his head to the man on either side of him. It was following such a move as this that Dunn put in a shot that caused Scott some difficulty in saving. Again Dean headed to the feet of Dunn, and this player with good judgement sent a low pass between Jackson and Davidson to the left for Troup to dash in and place in goal well out of the reach of Scott.


Against any ordinary goalkeeper Dean would probably have headed many goals. Several times he was just wide, and Scott was always on the alert. He also showed great daring in going out to meet Dean's dangerous rushes and in one of these clashes with Dean, Scott was put out of action and looked like having to retire. He was badly shaken, but did not show any apparent weakness as the game advanced, and never shirked in going out to meet Dean. Everton could not claim any superiority in defence. Done was cool in tackling, and trenchant in kicking, while Jackson worked so hard that it was not to be wondered at the once or twice he failed in his clearance kick. All three of the Liverpool halves were sound, Bromilow was cool and polished in everyone he did. Morrison was a warrior, and rarely failed in his tackling, and Davidson shadowed Dean effectively. Hodgson was the best, and Whitehurst and McDougall the least satisfactory of the Liverpool forwards.


What little Dean could do he did well, but Dunn was the principal schemer in the Everton attack. He and Ritchie worked better together than Troup and Weldon, but Ritchie was at fault more than once in not shooting instead of centring the ball to dean who was being so well watched. All three of the Everton halves were sound, none being better than Virr. Cresswell at right full-back was inclined to take liberties with Hopkins, but the Everton captain was always more than a match for the Liverpool inside forwards . O'Donnell had a much harder task in dealing with the Liverpool right wing and although not too sure in the early stages he improved later. Davies had not so much work to do as Scott, but he showed no semblance of a mistake. The teams were : - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards. Liverpool: - Scott goal, Jackson and Done, backs, Morrison, Davidson, and Bromilow, half-backs, Edmed, Hodgson, Whitehurst, McDougall, and Hopkins, forwards.



October 1 st 1928. The Daily Courier.


Stoke City had the better of the play in the first half of the match with Everton and were full value for their 2-1 lead at the interval. Stoke scored through Johnson and Flanagan and French for Everton. Just before half-time Bain Everton's left half back was limping and went to the outside position. Everton play improved, but Cull added a goal six minutes from the end. Everton were pushing hard when the whistle sounded . Everton:' Hardy, goal, Common and Bains backs, Griffiths, Forshaw, Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Webster, French, Easton, and Stein, forwards .



October 2 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.





Everton by their 3-1 victory over Preston North End in the Lancashire Senior Cup-tie at Deepdale yesterday amply avenged last year's defeat at Goodison Park. "Dixie" Dean was responsible for Everton's three and has thus performed the hat-trick three times this season. Preston's solitary point was scored by Harrison from a free kick. The game was interesting throughout and Preston had as much of the play as their opponents. Their centre, Robson, had more chances than Dean, but neither he nor his inside colleagues finished as well as Everton's quintette. There was one spell in the first half when the North Enders were all over the visitors' defence, but scrambled about ineffectively in the goalmouth. The first and third goals were presented to Dean through Preston defenders' old offence of standing still and calling for offside. The first goal was a sample affair. Ricthie was given a clear field, and when he passed Dean had only to divert the ball past Moss, who was deputising for Ewart. On the other occasion Dean was allowed to go through unchallenged and walk the ball past Moss.


For the most part Everton's team work was superior. They found each other easily with first time passes and kept the ball on the ground. North End's more open game, while often rather wild, and brought danger pretty frequently, especially from Reid and Harrison. Cresswell was a brainy and dependable back, and Griffiths did well in Kelly's place. There was 5,500 spectators, and the receipts were £326. Teams: - Preston North End: - Moss, goal, Wade, and T. Hamilton, backs, Ward, Nelson, and Crawford, half-backs, Reid, Chandler, Robson, James, and Harrison, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards .



October 3 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.

Everton are sending a strong Central League team to Wrexham this evening, where they will oppose the locals in Alfred Jone's benefit match. Jones has been a tower of strength to Wrexham at right-back, and this year he has taken on the duties of skipper. He has played 205 Third Division matches for the Welsh team. Everton's team will be Hardy; Common, J. Logue; Griffiths, White, Rooney; Nelson, Jones, French, Martin, Stein, Kick-off 5-30. Dean will kick off the match, and then take over as linesman.



October 4 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Everton sent a strong team to Wrexham last night for the benefit of Alf Jones, the Welsh Club's popular captain. There was a large attendance, and the crowd loudly cheered "Dixie" Dean, when he accompanied the teams on the field to kick off, and afterwards took his place on the line for Everton. The opening half was even, Jones scoring for Everton before the interval. On resuming Mays equalised with a header from a corner, but later on French put Everton in front. After the match the Wrexham directors entertained both teams and officials to a dinner at the Wynnstay Arms. Everton: - Hardy, goal, J. Logue and Common, backs, Griffiths, White and Rooney, half-backs, Nelson, Jones, French, Martin, and Stein, forwards. Wrexham: - Greatrex, goal, Jones and Lumberg backs, Rees, Billis, and Graham half-backs Longmuir, Hudson Mays, Woodhouse, and Gunson.

J Logue, who is having a trial with Everton in the match, is an Old Xavering, and the well known Cricketer who plays for Formby, a good all round Athletic. Logue is a fast bowler who has met with insuperable success in the Liverpool district competition while he is reputed to be a cool and clever fullback.



October 6 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


London team provides Everton's opponent this afternoon –the Arsenal visiting Goodison Park. Everton, if records go for anything, should win fairly comfortably against the Gunners, who, apart from their victory over Huddersfield, have failed to make any great splash in their League engagements. They are at present 17 th in the table, and have scored only eight goals –not a very thrilling record. That they have talent in the team is admitted, but somehow the forwards do not seemed able to settle down to real concerned work. If they do this afternoon, Hart and Virr and Co. will have to be on the alert, for Lambert is dangerous on occasions, and the Gunners right wing is swift and forceful. Everton quite rightly –are content with the eleven which defeated Liverpool last week, and the teams will be: - Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup. Arsenal: - Lewis; Parker, Cope; Baker; Roberts, John; Hulme, Brain, Lambert, Thompson, Hear (or Jones)


Connah Quay the leaders of the Welsh National League, have signed on William O'Donnell of Everton to succeed Percy Thorbe, the captain who this week was transferred to reading. O'Donnell is a brother of the well-known Everton player. He is only 19 is 5ft, 8in; and weighs 11 st .

Athletic News - Monday 08 October 1928
Everton 4 ARSENAL 2
EVERTON returned to something approaching championship standard IN their game with Arsenal, but it was not until the second half was on Its way, and it may be said that it was due to opportunism, that they claimed the victory. They led at the interval by 3—l, but this was scarcely in accord with the general play. Arsenal had started in brisk fashion, were keener, moved with greater precision and flashed the ball from wing to wing with an accuracy that greatly harassed the home defence. But they contributed to their own downfall by Inability to utilize opportunities of which they had a fair share. Again, the Highbury defenders were occasionally caught in their own net when attempting to exploit the offside theory, and paid the penalty In the second half, at a time when the forwards, who had reduced the lead a goal, were making a big effort to get on terms. They ceased play when Ritchie raced on to score his second goal, which clinched the issue.
Arsenal missed a great chance in the first minute when Hulme presented Lambert with a clear opening when but ten yards in front Davies, but the ball was tamely placed across the goal, a failure that possibly altered the whole trend of the game. Everton were some time settling down, but when they did they were decidedly more accurate in the goal area, and Lewis was called upon to accomplish far more work than Davies. After 23 minutes Ritchie, from a Dean pass, opened the scoring with a great drive, but the sides were level ten minutes later when O’Donnell’s hesitancy enabled Hulme to screw the ball almost from the goal line for Brain to defeat Davies. Then followed two brilliant goals from Dean as the result of shooting at the psychological moment; still a lead 3—l at the interval was rather flattering to Everton. However, their exhibition following the Interval showed them as worthy winners and though Jones reduced the lead after 15 minutes, Ritchie, as I have Indicated, sped along to complete the scoring while the Arsenal backs clamoured for offside.
It appeared to me that Arsenal lost because they imagined that Ritchie needed little attention when there was Dean to look after. It was from the right wing man that most attacks came, and it was strange that John allowed the Scot the room he did.  Everton’s centre-forward, beyond scoring his goals—and they were of the brilliant type—was kept fairly well under subjection by Roberts, who not only held a tight rein on him but out-headed him. Lambert opened out the play quite able fashion, but his shooting when easy chances came along was lamentably weak. Thompson was the successful schemer of the line, and some of his gliding passes to the toes of Lambert were worthy of better results. Hulme and Jones were strong raiders, the former at times being too alert for O’Donnell, who had a variable day. Interpolating good work with moderate. Cresswell was the tactician, though he at times found Jones a difficult player to checkmate. It was in half-back play where Everton held a strong lead. Hart kept a firm grip upon Lambert, and with Kelly and Virr formed more redoubtable barrier than did the Arsenal Intermediate line. Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup.  Arsenal; Lewis; Parker, Cope; Baker, Roberts, John; Hulme, Brian, Lambert, Thompson, and Jones.  Referee; A.J. Weaver, Grimsby. 

October 8 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Penetrative power is one of the finest assets any football team can possess, and it was this factor that caused Everton to overcome the Arsenal at Goodiosn Park. In a match of which 60 minutes are well worth remembering and 30 minutes forgetting it was the ability of the Everton forwards to seize opportunities and the failure of their opponents in a like phase which decided the destination of the points. Even then, all the final efforts of the champions were not exactly the models of perfection. The Arsenal came to Mereyside with a poor record, but they proved to the Goodison "fans" that they are a force to be reckoned with. As a matter of fact it is doubtful whether there is any team in the division which can boast such a potent pair of wingers as Hulme and Jones. There were occasions in this encounter when the Gunners served up lovely football, but as soon as they reached the penalty area they failed –many times ingloriously. With the champions, who incidentally, was full value for the brace of points it was different. One or two excellent chances certainly were frittered away but the fact remains that in Ritchie and Dean they had two men could find the net.

That Dunn and Weldon were not counted among the scorers was entirely due to Lewis, who gave a splendid exhibition of goalkeeping for the Londoners. It was a game in which attack had the better of defence, and consequently there was something of intense interest happening in either goalmouth for two thirds of the proceedings. What happened in the remaining portion is not worth recalling, for the ball was confined to midfield and neither side seemed to be able to secure that fair wind which would take them to close quarters with the opposition. The Arsenal backs could not cope with the opposition. The Everton forwards played really well, but none did better than Ritchie who served up his best exhibition since he joined the club. It seemed as if he was in the thick of the play every minute, and one can put this down to the fact that he was operating with absolute confidence. He had a fine reception after the match. It was fitting that Ritchie should have been responsible for two goals, the first and last and sandwiched in between were two brilliant shots by Dean, who made hard position appear simple by his accurate shooting. It was something to wonder at that he missed two much easier opening than those from which he reaped the fullest advantage. The Arsenal goals were secured by Brain –what a tremendous right-footed drive his was –and Jones, but if the forward line had possessed a more accomplished leader than Lambert, more goals might easily have accord. Lambert had the honesty of purpose, but that was all, and several opportunities were lost as the result of his inability to see a move ahead. Davies did well in the home goal, and the backs Cresswell and O'Donnell came out of one of the hardest afternoon's work they will have this season with credit.

Hunter Hart preformed quietly and well at centre-half and his vis-à-vis. Herbie Roberts, the ex-Oswestry player, can take every credit for having kept a careful watch on Dean. Ritchie was the best Everton forwards and next to him came his partner Dunn –a rare schemer and a delightful purveyor of the ball. Dean worked hard all through but had few opportunities of supplying his wingers with passes while the success of the right flank accounted for Troup and Weldon not seeing so much of the ball. The line as a whole, though was good. Lewis preformed wonders in the Arsenal goal. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean Weldon and Troup, forwards. Arsenal: - Lewis, goal, Parker and Cope, backs, Baker Roberts, and John, half-backs, Hulme, Brain, Lambert, Thompson, and Jones forwards.

October 11 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Everton Reserves won their Central League game with Huddersfield Town more easily than the score would indicate. They were always on top, and the comparison between the work of the Everton forwards and halves and those of the visitors was so great as to cause wonder how the Town came to net three times and also to go within an ace of "stealing" a point. The only explanation was weak play both by Bain –for which there was some excuse, as he is not looked on as a full-back –and Hardy. The goalkeeper, had he done himself justice, would have saved the three scoring shots whereas he came near giving away the equaliser when he ran out and missed the ball.

This was the gilt-edged chance of the match, but Brown was so surprised that he merely kicked the ball behind the goal. Everton led 4-2 at the interval, Easton, French, and Martin (2) scoring and Brown and Cumming obtained the Town's points. After the interval Raw put on a third for the visitors. Shanks and Martin of Huddersfield, were both damaged, the first named playing for three-parts of the game with a bandaged head. French, Martin, and Griffiths did well for the winners . Everton: Hardy, goal, Common and Bains, backs, Griffiths, White and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Easton, French, Martin, and Stein, forwards.

Leeds Mercury - Thursday 11 October 1928
Scorers; Everton—Easton, French, Martin (2) -4 goals. Huddersfield Town —Brown, Cumming and Raw  -3 goals.
By the odd goal in seven Huddersfield Town were defeated by Everton yesterday in a Central League game at Goodison Park.  Everton obtained all their goals in the first half, and but for clever goalkeeping of Walton, the Town goalie, would have been further arrears. The second half was of a lively character, and the Town appeared to miss a goal when Brown shot behind with Bain out of his goal.

October 11 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Lancashire F.A. X1 6 F.A. X1 5
The unofficial trial at Burnden Park, Bolton yesterday, produced a glut of goals, Dean scored (2) and Tommy Johnson (3), and 6,000 spectators watched the match.

October 13 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
Were not one expecting every day the entire transportation of the Blackburn Rovers team to the nearest sick bay one would expect a further slip on the part of Everton in today's squabble at Ewood Park. The Rovers are hard hit, but from the point of view of Merseysiders alone, their bagful of woes has produced one happy occurrence. This is the choice of Raitt, the ex-Everton full-back, in place of Roxburgh (who in turn was picked to fill Hutton's place). Roxburgh with a leg injury, was declared unfit yesterday. Raitt has many friends in the Liverpool district, some of, which will no doubt swell the ranks of the crowd at Ewood to see him make his debut in the Rovers' first team. Everton, who are unchanged, will find the going much easier in consequence of the domestic trouble at Blackburn, but if they only draw they should be satisfied. The match is of course, a Lancashire "Derby" and between the League champions and the Cup-holders. Again what more do you want? The teams are: - Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup. Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford; Raitt, Jones; Healless, Dowd, Campbell; Thornwell, Puddefoot, Roscamp, McLean, and Rigsby.



October 15 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




Ewood-Park, Blackburn, may well be described as one of Everton's unlucky grounds, for one has to go back to season 1912-13 to find Blues gaining both points there. The frowns of the gods accompanied the Champions on their mission to Ewood on Saturday, when the Rovers, last year's F.A. cup winners, beat them by the odd goal of three and so tradition was maintained. Everton were unfortunate to return with nothing tangible in the matter of points; in fact the men had to console themselves with the thought that they had done well and been denied that which was due to them. They deserved a point. One yes, two, no. At any rate they have often played worse throughout an encounter and yet landed both the points at stake. Still, there is another aspect of the situation, and that is that the Blues had only themselves to blame, for not being wholly successfully. They embarked on their task apparently without methods, and with the minimum of skill, so that during the first half one saw the Rovers attacking practically the whole of the 45 minutes.


It speaks volumes for the Everton backs and Davies that during this period the home side did not find the net more than once just it was primary due to the fact that the home inside forwards would wait for gilt-edged openings instead of replying on their own shooting ability to make the best of the opportunities which fell to them. There was only one team in it before the interval. The respite came and went, and, whether there was a serious conference in the Everton dressing-room during that off-period, or not one will never know, but no sooner had the second half started than one saw a marked difference in the entire play of the team. Every man seemed to set his teeth and tried to show that the first half play was all wrong, so that instead of the lords of Blackburn playing the role of dictators they were forced to wear the mantle that the Blues shouldered earlier on. The expected equaliser soon came, and this only served to spur the Blues on to greater effort. They looked winners all over and then, just when success appeared to be within reach, the Rovers had the audacity to break away and secure what proved to be the winning goal.


It was a game well worth watching, for when the end hove in sight, and the sides were level, the excitement was intense, and both sides put in their all to turn the scales. Even when the Rovers forged ahead the second time they were by no means secure for the Blues kept pegging away in the face of adversity, and with ordinary luck, would have succeeded. Rigby gave the Rovers the lead in the first half, netting after Davies had brilliantly saved a great shot from his own foot; but Dean, by cleverly deceiving Jones, Levelled matters at the end of the hour. Twelve minutes from the end Puddefoot jumped a foot higher than three Everton players to head home a free kick taken by Rigsby, and so secure the points. Just prior to Puddefoot's goal –which incidentally, was the first goal scored by a Blackburn inside-wing forwards this season –Dunn had struck the foot of the post with a brilliant shot, which everyone though would fine a haven of rest in the net. Rigsby was the outstanding Rover. He led Kelly a terrible life early on. Puddefoot, Mclean, Healless, Jones, Raitt and Crawford were others to shine for the winners. Teams: - Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford, goal, Jones and Raitt, backs, Healless, O'Dowd, and Campbell, half-backs, Thornwell, Puddefoot, Rosscamp, McLean, and Rigsby, forwards. Everton: - Davies goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards.



October 15 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


In view of Liverpool's fine form this season, their display against their local rivals was frankly disappointing and Everton's superiority was more marked than the score would suggest. The Liverpool wing halves failed to hold the fast-moving and cohensive Everton forwards, McKinlay and Lucas being overworked, Mckinlay found Critchley's speed troublesome, but although chief danger came from this quarter the craftsman of the line was undoubtedly Martin, who has rarely played better. The Liverpool attack was ragged, with Clarke the best of the line. Kelly receiving little latitude from Griffiths, who was best in a fine intermediate division. In the first minute of the game Griffiths had rammed home a short-range shot following a corner. This was augmented by another from Easton, but Liverpool were unfortunate when Hardy scooped the ball away when it seemed to have been well over the line. After Martin had scored Everton's third, they were inclined to over-elaborate, and Liverpool became more dangerous. An attempted back pass to Hardy by Common found the net, and in the last half-minute Reid scored a second goal. Teams: - Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Griffiths, Bain and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Easton, French, Martin, and Stein, forwards. Liverpool: - Riley, goal, Lucas and McKinlay, backs, Shears, McBain and Murray half-backs, Lindsay, Clark, Reid, McNeill and Kelly, forwards.



October 20 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


One of the greatest goalkeeper's in the land will be faced by one of the greatest centre-forwards of all time at Upton-Park West Ham United Today, when Everton will strive (they have a great chance of succeeding) to go one better than Liverpool who drew with the Hammers in London. Hutton, who will keep the home goal is at the top of his form, but his defenders may let him down. Danny Shone, the ex-Liverpool man, will be another interesting figure; he is doing wonderful things for the Londoners, Victor Watson who was injury at Bolton, is not fit yet, so Vivian Gibbons will lead the attack. Everton will play Griffiths for Kelly at half-back. It may be a hammer-and-tongs affair, but look out for the bolt from the Blue. The sides will turn out as follows, the kick-off being at 3-15: - Everton: - Davies, Cresswell, O' Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup. West Ham: - Hutton; Earl, Cox; Collins, Barrett, Cadwell; Yews, Earle, V. Gibbins, Shone, and Ruffell.



October 22 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.



Everton silenced the croakers with about the most superb display of football ever seen in London. The Champions provided a marvellous exposition in face of one of the most disconcerting setbacks any side can receive. In less than two minutes they found themselves a goal down –Danny Shone, the ex-Liverpool player had screwed a snap goal from Ruffell's pass. Before nine minutes had passed, however, fine goals by Dunn and Weldon had transformed a debit into a credit balance, and than Dean though it was his turn, so that, in almost less time than it takes to tell he had given Hutton another chance to empty' his net. Before the interval Dean obliged with another, but there was no more scoring until just when Referee Moon –a capable official by the way –was looking at his watch; then Gibbons obtained a goal for the Hammers. On the Everton showing in this match they are not only equally as good a combination as they were last year, but infinitely better. Their football was of the lesson-book variety with a hundred and one other delicate and brilliantly engineered moves added. Every man give of his best and did just the right thing all through.


The Hammers were outclassed fore and aft, but the chief cause for they impotency was not so much lack of ability on their part as being reduced to a state of ineffectiveness by the sheer brilliance of the champions. Everyone expected to see a thrilling duel between Dean and Barrett, who, with Ruffell, were the men in the match, and who, will appear for England in today's International at Goodison Park, but it did not materialise. There was no duel, for Dean not for one moment allowed Barrett to take up a foil. Dean led the pivot an awful life, and often made Barrett, look more like a second-rater than an England centre-half. Of course, Barrett was not the only member of the home rearguard who was made to chase from pillar to post by the astute Blues, all in vain, for only Collins, the right half gave one the impression of being capable of standing up against the Everton flood-tide. One of the most gratifying features was the auspicious debut of Griffiths at right-half. After some minutes in which to settle down he proceeded to give an excellent exhibition of honest football, coupled with some tenacious tackling and a serious of delightful accurate low passes down the middle. He gave Dunn and Ritchie admirable support and fitted in well with Cresswell.


It was in attack that the champions were more scintillating, because those in the van had more of the ball, but the backs did excellently. The halves were excellent too. Forward, Dean possessed every attribute, which went to make up the true spearhead for two of the cutest wings in the game. The Londoners were a toned at his clever leadership and one shooting abilities and he so upset the home defence that every time a back or half was in possession he kept only one eye on the ball. The other was keeping care of Dixie. Dun and Weldon were the masterminds, and Troup and Ritchie sent across scores of terror-laden centres. Teams: - West Ham United: - Hutton, goal, Earl and Cox, backs, Collins, Barrett, and Cadwell, half-backs, Yews, Earle, Gibbins, Done, and Ruffell, forwards. Everton: - Davies goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards.



October 22 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.


After two minutes Rooney was compelled to retire with a knee injury, and although he returned after the interval playing at outside-left, he was virtually a passenger. The depleted forces of Everton put up a great flight, however, and when Martin neutralised a goal by Armand, from the penalty it was well deserved. Critchley later gave the blues the lead, and although Armand headed a second Critchley won the game for his side with a placed cross drive. All the home forwards did well, and the defence including Maher the "A" team goalkeeper was strong against a good Leeds attack. Everton: - Maher, goal, Kennedy (captain) and Common, backs, White, Bain, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Forshaw, French, Martin, and Stein, forwards.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Monday 22 October 1928
William Brown, who left Cambuslang Rangers in Scotland to play for Everton in 1914, has a son of 13 years of age who is a very keen admirer of his father's play, and keenly enthusiastic to follow in his footsteps.

Athletic News - Monday 22 October 1928
West Ham United 2 Everton 4
THE promise of an attractive game between West Ham and Everton was amply fulfilled, even if the home men were compelled to play second fiddle for the greater part of the time. It might be imagined that an early goal would have given West Ham the necessary encouragement, but such was not the case. The champions. Indeed, retaliated so brilliantly that before the game was half an hour old, the issue appeared to be in Everton s keeping.  A spectacular shot by Shone took O’Donnell and Davies by surprise when the match was only two minutes old, but three minutes later Dunn levelled matters with a neat left-foot shot. Then came a glorious effort on the part of Weldon, who deceived Collins with a body swerve, tricked Earl, and left Hufton helpless.
Dean's Pair
Dean obtained the third within a quarter of an hour of the start, a real opportunist's goal following Hart's beautifully placed free-kick, and when the West Ham ’keeper was beaten for the fourth time Dean’s left foot proved responsible after Weldon had contrived a beautiful opening. By comparison with the earlier play, the closing half lacked brilliance, but just before the close Gibbins reduced the home team’s arrears. Careless at close quarters and frequently unfortunate with their finishing efforts. West Ham undoubtedly disappointed their many admirers, yet with Everton in one of their most dominant moods it would be unfair to criticize the home side too harshly. The skill and generalship of the Everton forwards made the West Ham defenders—Hufton always excepted-appear very moderate, and Collins alone lived up to his reputation.  Cox, a capable half-back, was happy at left back and could make little of the right-wing pair opposed him, while Cadwell also found the scheming of Dunn and Ritchie beyond his power.  On the home right flank there was more solidity, for Collins stuck to a thankless task in gallant fashion and not only succeeded in limiting Troup's effectiveness, but created numerous openings for Yews and his partner. 
Too Much Power
At times the West Ham forwards played fast, purposeful football, Earle being particularly untiring in his endeavours to bring about the downfall of Davies's charge, but, as often as not, the home movements broke down in most disappointing fashion, chiefly because Ruffell and his colleagues put too much power behind the final pass -a bad policy on a greasy surface.   Dean and the Scottish supports. On the other hand, kept the ball commendably close and made every use of their skill in maneuvers and close dribbling to outwit the West Ham defenders.  England's centre-forward received a fine reception and pleased everyone, while the wiles of Dunn and Weldon, and the skill and resource of Ritchie commanded admiration from friend and foe alike.  Hart proved a pivot of the highest class, skillful alike in attack and defence, and he had worthy helpmates on either side of him.  Cresswell and O'Donnell maintained the same distinguished standard of the rest of the side, and Davies who was not unduly tested, always inspired confidence.  Altogether it was an impressive display on the part of the champions, embracing team work, individual and combined skill, and the ability to finish off movements as represented by the irrepressible Dean and the subtle roving of Weldon.  West Ham United; Hufton; Earl, Cox; Collins, Barrett, Cadwell; Yews, Earle, V Gibbins, Shone and Ruffell.  Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O’Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup.  Referee; C.F. Moon, Bristol. 

October 23 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.
There was a row when "Dixie" Dean missed a penalty kick for England yesterday at Goodison Park, where Scott in the Irish goal, brought off a sensational save, it was the Everton centre-forwards, first kick from the "Spot" in the present season. He however, scored the deciding goal later in the match, in front of 30,000 spectators.

October 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
The Champions will be without Dunn for the meeting with Cup holders at Old Trafford today, in the annual F.A. Charity-Shield clash. Forshaw takes the Scots place at inside-right. This is the only change made by Everton from the team who won so brilliantly at West Ham and the present selection will also be employed against Leeds United at Goodison Park on Saturday. Griffiths tried at right half-back on Saturday was such a success that his retention in the team was expected. Blackburn Rovers will find the following team hard to hold on neutral ground: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 25 October 1928
English football agents, who have been hot on the track of several Partick Thistle players during the past few weeks, were to-day successful in fixing two of the club's players. Hair, the Thistle's sharp-shooting Centre forward, has been signed by Everton, while Salisbury, the outside-left, has been up by Liverpool. Several other English clubs have been forestalled by Everton and Liverpool, Hair especially having been in great demand, particularly Preston North End. The amounts of the transfer fees have no* been divulged, but they should large. Salisbury went to the Thistle some eight or nine years ago from the junior ranks, and he has been the team's recognised outside-left during all that period. He is a clever and useful player, who may do well in England.

Sheffield Independent - Thursday 25 October 1928
Cup-Holders Beaten in Charity Match.
FAST, keen game for the football Association Charity Shield ended in favour of Everton, the League Champions, who defeated Blackburn Rovers, holders of the English Cup, by 2-1 before 16,000 people on the ground of the Manchester United Football Club, yesterday afternoon.  The Everton attack was weakened by the absence of Dunn, the Scottish International, while the Rovers included Baxter, at centre half-back.  Goalkeepers took chief honours in the opening play, many excellent shots by each set of forwards being saved in brilliant fashion. Davies, for Everton, specially distinguished himself when, after 35 minutes, he saved a penalty kick for hands. Everton went in front just before half-time, Troup centring accurately for Dean to head through and for some time afterwards the game proceeded evenly, neither side being able to claim any pronounced advantage in attack. Gradually, however the Rovers settled down and pressure brought them an equalizing goal, a long cross shot by Thornewell taking effect. Davies had much to do after that, but he cleared admirably on several occasions and Everton regained the upper hand. Forshaw nearly beat Crawford with a fine effort, but the goalkeeper only just succeeding in punching the ball away, and with five minutes remaining, the Champions gained the deciding goal.  Troup again had a hand in the score.  Dean taking a pass from him, dribbling past two defenders and sending in a magnificent shot. 

October 25 TH 1928. The Daily Courier.
A young Blackburn Rover Baxter, who was making his first appearance in senior fooball, played the prime part at Old Trafford yesterday in the effective holding of Dean, the England centre-forward. Dean however, was able to win the F.A. Charity Shield for Everton in a game that was somewhat disappointing. The Everton centre scored both the winners' goals, but he did not play as well as one usually expects him to play. True, his effort in the last five minutes was a brilliant example of opportunism. He snapped up a long pass and cleverly beat Jones, and finished with a shot which Crawford made no attempt to save. It is doubtful whether he even saw it. Troup played a great part in the goals. Thornewell scored the Rovers' goal. Constructive work on, both sides had been strikingly poor, and if anything, the Rovers showed more method.

The penalty which Rigsby failed to utilise would no doubt have made a great different occurring as it did midway through the first half. (Hart handling-Post and Mercury) There was some brilliant work by both sides, but it only came in flashes, and taking the game right through the moderate crowd had little to enthuse about. Perhaps the most striking feature was the good goalkeeping shown by Crawford and Davies. The Rovers custodian was fortunate on one occasion, when he dropped the ball and it appeared to go over the line before he could recover, the referee giving the benefit of the doubt. As the scores indicate, the defence on both sides was particularly strong. Baxter played soundly but he could not be blamed for Dean obtaining the two goals. The teams originally chosen were: - Everton: - Davies goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart, Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford goal, Roxburgh, and Jones, backs, Healless, Baxter, and O'Dowd, half-backs, Thornewell, Puddefoot, Roscamp, Mclean, and Rigsby, forwards.



October 27 th 1928. The Daily Courier.

Such ordinary people as League Champions are likely to be overlooked in these days of the transfer boom, that doesn't but we must not forget Everton's Red Rose responsibility at Goodison park today, with the team who claim that a penalty kick alone sent them to the inferno of the Football League. Still, they are on the same plane now as the Dandy Evertonians, who brilliant spiking of the Arsenal, glided gun has give their supporters hope of a victory over the tough Leeds people. Dunn will be missing from the Goodison van on account of an argument, which Scotland have with Wales at Glasgow, and Forshaw fills the breach. Reed (broke no longer) will play the left-half waltz for the Yorkshiremen, and Cochrane continues in their attack in place of Mitchell, who is still on sick parade. The latest war of the roses will be contested by the following, there being the zero hour: - Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup. Leeds United: - Potts; Townsley, Menzies; Edwards, Hart, Reed; Turnbull, White, Jennings, Wainscott, and Coachrane.



October 29 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




It was the delivery of the first blow, which decided the destination of the points in this game at Goodison Park. Sad to relate, the Champions had an inclination to wait for the ball to come to them instead of going to meet it, whereas the visitors knew that it was a case of the first come the first served. Time after time one saw Everton players hanging back obviously waiting for the ball to come to them. Did they imagine that the visitors were content to let the ball bounce and go to an opponent? Apparently so, but in any event the Leeds were not quite so obliging and made it their business to step in and secure possession before the Blues had a chance to wait for that final hop. The second part of Everton's mistaken policy was the almost continual feeding of Dean or should it be said, the attempts to feed Dean. No matter the angle from which the ball was received, each of the other four forwards and the intermediates endeavored to find "Dixie" and this was merely playing into the hands of the Leeds defence.


Of course, one could justifiably go so far as to say that the Leeds men were a trifle fortunate to secure both points in fact, a division of the spoils wonld have been fairer. But it stands to the credit of the visitors that they put their all in from start to finish and were able to do the things that matter –score a goal. This goal came only ten minutes from the end when a mistake by O'Donnell gave Turnbull the opportunity to cross a perfect ball to Wainscott who scrambled the ball into the net with Davies already beaten by the centre. The Champions it must be admitted had hard luck on one or two occasions when the frame work was struck and other shot only just missed finding the resting place in the net by a matter of inches, but the display as a whole was totally unconvincing. Dunn was missed from the front line. This fact must be appreciated, although Martin tried his level best to wear the mantle of the International. However, there was no understanding between the right flank of the attack, and with Weldon not quite in form, Troup was not able to give the opposing defence as much work as he is able.


Dean was obviously overworked with passes which rarely looked like affording him the long awaited chance to score, and so the attack appeared ragged against the best line on the field – the Leeds half-backs. In the trio one saw men who stopped at nothing except questionable tactics their tackling and feeding being a source of sheer delight. Edwards was excellent, but Hart and Reed contrived to keep on the heels of the international on the point of merit. On the Everton side an intermediate was the star performer this being Griffiths, who throughout displayed undoubted skill in all phases of the game. Hunter Hart and Virr were hardly up to standard, although they fought hard to bring about an improvement in an attack which from first to last was disjointed. Everton can take consolation in the fact that they were beaten by one of the liveliest sides in the First Division. Teams: - Everton: - Davies Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Leeds United: - Potts, goal, Townsley, and Menzies, backs, Edwards, Hart and Reed, half-backs, Turnbull, White, Jennings, Wainscott, and Cochrane, forwards. Referee A.J. Caseley.



October 29 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Wales, though beaten at Ibrox Park, Glasgow, put up a creditable show, Dunn of Everton was one of the success of the match, who scored the fourth goal after jack had taken the ball through and given him a perfect pass.



October 29 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Lambert, the new Stockport centre, was responsible for the "hat-trick" at Edgeley Park, where play in the first half was fast and strenuous with the home side the better by one goal. In the second half both sets of forwards flagged and play lacked much interest. The Stockport backs and halves played a bustling game and occasional raids by the Everton forwards were always speedily repulsed. Stockport were well worth the victory. There was a crowd of 6,000.



October 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


"Dixie" Dean is one of an Everton batch of "casualties" announced yesterday, and on account of not being fit he will not, with Ritchie and Weldon play in the third round tie of the Lancashire Senior Cup Competition at Boundary Park, Oldham today. The sides drew at Goodison Park. White has been introduced to the Everton team as deputy for Dean, Martin takes Weldon's place, and Critchley plays at outside-right instead of Ritchie. Team: - Davies, Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Dunn, White, Martin, and Troup.



October 31 st 1928. The Daily Courier.



A crowd of 5,000 saw Oldham drew with Everton, at Boundary Park, in the third round of the Lancashire Senior Cup Competition yesterday, and the result was a fair reflex of the general play. For a long time it seemed as if Everton would win through by a single goal scored 23 minutes after the start by White, while the Athletic defenders were vainly appealing for offside. A quarter of an hour from the end, however, following a centre by Watson, Dyson trapped the ball neatly and beat Davies with a rising shot. Everton were with Dixie Dean Ritchie, and Weldon, and their attack there by lost a good deal of it sting, but in the first half the forwards were always on the look-out for scoring chances, and Hacking in the home goal, was called on to make a number of fine saves. As a line, the Everton attack was rather more virile and purposeful than that of the home team. Though White notched a goal he was only a mediocre substitute for dean, and could not always hold the line together. Dunn was the better inside forward, his snap shots giving some trouble and Troup generally finished his work in excellent style. The halves assisted the attack in constructive work and Cresswell was the better back, his clearances being cool and his positional play good. Considering their lowly position in the Second Division, Oldham played by no means badly, but their old weakness, bad finishing was apparent. Dyson assisting one or two excellent chances. They had as much of the play as their opponents, but their forward combination was not of the best. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, White, Martin, and Troup, forwards.


October 1928