Everton Independent Research Data


October 2, 1939. The Evening Express.
Bury 3, Everton 2
By Watcher.
Twenty-one Everton players donned football tops on Saturday for various teams throughout the country. In addition to the eleven who wore the club’s colours against Preston North End at Goodison Park, ten others were playing elsewhere. Everton and Preston with a 3-3 draw, provided a real football treat for the 4,500 spectators who saw the game at Goodison Park. The Preston forwards moved with machine like precision before the interval but later it was Everton who provided the highlights for along period. After Gillick had given Everton the lead five minutes after the interval, the Blues’ forwards gave a perfect display of exhibition football. The Preston goalkeeper made many brilliant saves, some being better than his safe handling of a piled river from Lawton in the second half. Lawton led the Everton attack well, and both Gillick and Boyes were elusive wingers, with Bentham a tireless forager. Thomson making his first appearance of the season in place of Jones had a difficult task against Frank O’Donnell. The pick of the Everton halves was Watson. Lawton, Gillick, and Boyes scored for Everton and F. O’Donnell, Mutch and R. Beattie for Preston.

October 4, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Tommy Jones is engaged on Government work and may not be able to get away. Charlie Gee is the most probable candidate for the position of centre half back. Everton’s probable team is;- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Lindley, A.N. Other, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

October 6, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Contact
Liverpool and Everton! What interest there deed to be in those peace-time meetings at Anfield or Goodison. And ‘now with the crowd control and general disinterest as barriers to a big crowd there will probably be no more than six or seven thousand for tomorrow’s first war time clash of the two sides in the city. The little men will be pleased –for once they will not have to crane their necks to get a balloon view of the ball. For once they will not be pushed and pulled about the terraces to such an extent that the match becomes more of a test of their stamina than of the players! It is a nice prospect for them and all others who want to see the best football played in (I hope) friendly spirit. Liverpool have lost only once this season. That was the season started at Sheffield United’s ground and the party travelled well knowing that it might be the first and last fixture for some time. Actually it was possible to squeeze the memorable Middlesbrough mid-week match and then the Chelsea game into the next week before we finally gave up all thoughts of the League programme and concentrated on waiting for the Football Association to deal with the problem of football in time of emergency. Liverpool; - Kemp; Ramsden, Harley; Busby, Bush, Easdale; Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Fagan, Balmer, Van Den Berg. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

October 7, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot
The majority of clubs are doing their utmost to ensure that all their players get an opportunity to earn the weekly 30s, hence the reason why Liverpool and Everton have given permission for professionals not engaged by themselves to play for other clubs. One who has not yet had a game is George Jackson, Everton’s local-born full-back, but I think George will get his chance next week. Willie Cook, the regular right back, is expecting to travel South next Friday to join the physical training school and this will allow Jackson to step in, seeing that Jack Jones is playing with Tranmere Rovers. Jackson has been a loyal and valuable member of Everton’s staff of some years, but naturally he has had to play second fiddle to Willie Cook. Yet he has never grumbled, but has always kept himself in the pink of conditions and always given of his best. Now comes his chance.
“The Boss” As Captain
Which reminds me that on the departure of Willie Cook the Blues will have to elect another acting-captain. Cook has led the side in all the games this season with the exception of that last week, against Preston North End, when skipper Jock Thomson was in charge. Thomson fill the role of non-playing captain more often than not, however, and so someone will have to be appointed to fill the vacancy. I expect Ted Sagar will be the man for the job. Ted, who is known among the Goodison boys as “The Boss” –admission of the fact that he is the oldest player on the books in point of service –is exceedingly popular both on and off the field, and would do the job well.

October 7, 1939, The Evening Express.
Everton Rush To Strong Lead
Great Goals After Early Reverse
By Pilot.
Everton have arranged two matches with Wolverhampton Wanderers. They will visit Molineux on Boxing Day, and play the return at Goodison Park on Good Friday. This is the news from Anfield, where the “friendly” Merseyside “Derby” between Liverpool and Everton was staged, before what appeared to be a maximum crowd. Van Den Berg suffering from a chill, was replaced at outside left on the Reds’ side by Harry Eastham. Liverpool: - Kemp, goal; Harley, and Ramsden, backs; Busby, Bush, and Easdale, half-backs; Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Fagan, Balmer, and Eastham, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. S.N. Roberts (Liverpool). There was keenness about the opening play, which made one forget that this was not a serious league encounter. Players and crowds to have the real “Derby” touch, and as so often happens in these games it was the visitors who called the time, Kemp being worried by Gillick’s inward move, Stevenson’s quick shot and low drive from Boyes, which the goalkeeper saved at full length. In nine minutes, Liverpool, who had been more concerned with defence than attack, took the lead when they quick-raiding forwards found the Everton defence slow in covering, and all at sea from a positional sense, so that Taylor took time to place his winning shot well wide of Sagar from an unmarked position. Sagar took command of Fagan’s effort before Kemp made a brilliant full length save from Lawton’s header. Lawton, taking over at outside-left dribbled his way up to the goal line, but instead of passing to unmarked forwards, he tried to drive in near the foot of the foot and Kemp turned it aside for a corner.
Everton Equalise.
Everton drew level in 22 minutes, Stevenson scoring a goal which emphasised the value of the quick throw-in. Boyes had been forced to touch by Harley, and he took the throw-in himself, placing well forward to Bentham, who had run to an open space. Bentham made progress and his centre was allowed to pass through by Lawton to the in-running Stevenson, whose right foot shot found the far corner. This game was played with the spirit of a Cup-tie, and it made for grand sport with hardly a pin to choose between the sides, but with Everton having more of the game without finishing quite so well as they might have done. Everton were not undeserving of the lead they secured in 34 minutes, when Bentham scored after Cook’s quick tackle and fine feeding kick had laid the foundations. Bush appeared to have fouled Lawton in going up for the ball, and while Everton were in the process of appealing Bentham struck through to swerve past two opponents and score with a shot which struck the far post and bounded into goal. Bentham had a chance to make it three immediately afterwards, when he took over from Tom Jones’s free kick, but placed outside. Such was the excitement that several fights took place between spectators, until a policeman took command. Everton increased their lead –and deservedly so, for they had been the more accurate and effective combination, when Lawton joined the scoring list in 41 minutes. Once again it was the speedy taking of a throw-in, which paved the way, for when Lindley received the ball back from a throw-in, he placed it accurately to the goalmouth, and Lawton headed through.
Half-Time –Liverpool 1, Everton 3.

October 9, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 1, Everton 4
Outstanding Figures In Capital Display
By L.E.E.
With all the friendlys form pointing in Liverpool’s favour, Everton won by four goals to one at Anfield in the first war-time meeting of the city’s two seniors. Far from being a gentled, makeshift fixture it was a legitimate Derby clash with everyone trying their utmost, and some good football was produced on either side. What made Everton doubt anxious to win is no secret. Liverpool had been made champions of war football, and as ever there was always the opposition to attempt to knock them off their perch. Everton exceeded very well in this direction, particularly as the match was at Anfield and Liverpool started the scoring. For ten minutes it was the real Liverpool. Then Everton took charge. Only rarely did Liverpool cause them to relax a grip of the game thereafter. Taylor’s goal was soon wiped out by Stevenson’s. Bentham and Lawton (twice) made it a one-way match afterwards. The only extenuating circumstances from the Liverpool viewpoint was the fact that Van Den Berg was missing from the forward line. Eastham has never had an unhappier match, when acting as substitute. Cook played brilliantly against him, but half his task was made easy for him. Similarly, Tom Jones had a magnificent match and the Crayston like Lindley, who has made his reputation through the war’s arrival –Mercer is now a physical training instructor –and Gordon Watson added honours to the half-back line.
Quick-Fire Footwork.
Lawton’s quick-fire footwork for a fellow so well built, was surprising and even if Bush was ruthless in his third-back capacity, Lawton still earned two goals. The Everton side as a whole seemed to be more than a fraction quicker into their stride. The game’s best however, was Busby. He was supreme, particularly in the second half, and friend and foe alike were obviously keenly disappointed when he started a grand last minute move and finished it with a cannonball header that all but scored. As it happened it is a moot point as to whether a goal would have been awarded as the whistle for time went at the same moment as Busby’s head connected. The three Liverpool inside forwards again played extremely well, but their finishing was not without misfortune and the wing power was missing now. Ramsdam played well, but Kemp did not show his real form. It was good all-round football with plenty of thrills and a comparatively big crowd must have been well satisfied.
Result; Liverpool 1, Everton 4.
Liverpool: - Kemp, goal; Harley, and Ramsden, backs; Busby, Bush, and Easdale, half-backs; Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Fagan, Balmer, and Eastham, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. S.N. Roberts (Liverpool).
• Jack Jones played for Tranmere Rovers.

October 9, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Today I hold up both hands and say, “Yes, I was wrong.” In summing up the Liverpool-Everton “Derby” I went all out for a Liverpool victory. The path of the prophet is hard. The Blues, after a real championship display, were winners by four goals to one. Still, the whole 22 gave the spectators a football treat. Mr. Ernest Green, the Blues’ chairman, said. “There is no doubt that everything indicated a win for the Reds. Their fine record spoke for itself. Your tip was justified –but how glad I am that you were wrong.” Yes, Liverpool stood out as the “form horse,” they had a 100 per cent, record for friendly matches –but Everton stayed the pace much better and long before the final whistle. Liverpool were well beaten. That speaks volumes for the determination of the champions. Matt Busby said to me after the match that on the day Everton were the better side. They finished much stronger than we did,” he said. “I think that early goal to us was really our downfall. “ Matt, undoubtedly without superior as a wing half-back in modern football, said of young Maurice Lindley, the Everton right half. “He has the making of a really great player, because he always tries to play football.
The Old Atmosphere.
There was all the old “Derby” day atmosphere and partisanship at Anfield, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Not a grumble from the Reds –and I spoke to Directors Jimmy Troop –our first meeting for many weeks, and how well he looked –W. Harvey Webb, S. Ronnie Williams and George Richards –and Mr. George Kay and Mr. George Patterson. All they expressed was the hope that they would level accounts in the Regional Competition game a few weeks hence. It was good to see Tommy Bradshaw again. Tom had severed connection with South Liverpool. Tom must have been thrilled at the display of another Tom –Tom Jones. If ever I saw the perfect centre half-back display it was provided by Jones, of Everton. A number of people said to me after the match. “Busby was the best player of the field.” I disagree, and hand the palm to Tom Jones.
Half-Backs Decided.
It was Jones, Lindley and Watson, the Everton intermediary section who really paved the way for this clear-cut victory. The nippy Liverpool forwards never had a chance to settle down or to settle on the ball. Watson, I noticed, never left Phil Taylor, but once and then Taylor scored the leading goal. The positional play of the trio, clever anticipation, strong tackling and grand use of the ball, carved the way. Everton’s display was an epic. They had pace, skill, a cheeky confidence, a flair for doing the unexpected in seeking the open space, finishing accuracy and a perfect defence. Their defence was superior to that of the Reds and Cook and Greenhalgh were absolutely faultless. The forwards operated zealously and progressively and Liverpool’s wide-spread backs were worried. The Reds’ attack may have been upset by Van Den Berg’s absence, but on the day Everton were unbeatable. Now a word to the police. They handled the crowd grandly. Small I know it was, but there was never a semblance of congestion either inside the ground or outside. Such work as this alone can further the scheme for securing more latitude in the size of the crowds.

October 9, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Contact.
War or no war! There are some features which general unchangeable. One –the desire of all sides to take down clubs who have been unbeaten for a spell. Two –the fact that the friendly label cannot disguise any meeting of Everton and Liverpool to a point where instated ease. Three –a learn which has been “marked” into action must always play extremely well, bonus or not I heard more than a whispers of Everton’s keenness to show they were still champions. Apparently some papers talk got under their skin and their attitude was “Well, we’ll show them they’re wrong.” And they did. Still, the officials leaders had to be beaten, some-time and the Everton fixtures was proper, if bitter occasion. For ten minutes it was Liverpool as we had seen than in recent weeks. They it became Everton as they had been in League winning vain. Phil Taylor’s nice goal led them all, but “Mouse” Stevenson, Bentham and “Twinkle-toes” Lawton (twice) tolled the ball for the other side before the “raiders passed” it was sounded at the exact moment Busby’s head connected with a centre and threatened to put him on the score sheet. One could not ask, for a more restrained and arty centre half display than that of Tom Jones. Busby’s second half work was worth the admission money of itself. Yet these were only two delights. Willie Cook special constable Eastham to such an extent that Liverpool really had only one wing; Stevenson ferreted out the chances for Lawton. Torry Gillick as ever ran into these impossible position from which he snap-shoots all harvest of opportunist goals and Lindley –another Crayston in build and promise –helped to weld a grand half-back, one that rarely lost its grip. For my part I still contend Liverpool’s work in all matches save this has been superlative. Here they lost their way through Vandy’s absence, and became their finishing was not carried through successfully. Fagan, Balmer and Taylor was mustard when they got moving, but for once the wings did not respond –Nivvy by the way only came off duty at seven on the morning of the match and the Army lads had been up at 4 a.m. the honours go both ways. To both sides for making it a splendid match to watch, to Everton for their victory, and to Liverpool for never giving up trying to show the folks at home how well they have been playing elsewhere.

October 12, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton are to loss the services of Cook, their acting captain, who goes down this week-end to a Southern depot, to take up his new Army Physical Training Staff job. His place in the team against Burnley will be taken by Jackson.

September 13, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
The big Merseyside game tomorrow will be the meeting at Goodison Park of the champions, Everton, and the entertaining Burnley team, built, like the Everton side without the aid of a manager –apart from groundwork by Mr. Tom Bromilow a few years ago. This match was originally scheduled for Turf Moor, but the Burnley people were won over by Mr. Theo Kelly, who emphasised the need for a match at Goodison Park, which has staged only two first team games this season. Everton had four friendly games before recording a victory, but I think they can follow up their win over Liverpool by beating Burnley. Not that Everton want to take anything out of Burnley, of course. The Blues have not forgotten that it was from Burnley that they secured Tommy Lawton. Besides, way back in 1930 the Blues and Burnley went down to the Second Division together. Kindred Souls. An interesting figure in the Burnley side will be Tommy Gardiner, the Liverpool boy who went from Anfield to Grimsby and them on to Lincoln City, Aston Villa, and, subsequently, to Burnley. This fair-haired son of a Liverpool licensee is the longest thrower-in of a ball in the game, but these days operates at inside forward. Jackson makes his first appearance of the season for the senior Everton team, coming in for Cook, who has other business on hand in the South. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones (Tom), Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
• Sharp and Hill of Everton will play for South Liverpool against Rossendale United at Rossendale tomorrow and Jones will play for Tranmere Rovers against Wrexham.

October 13, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
As Willie Cook has joined Joe Mercer and Matt Busby, the Liverpool captain, as a physical training instructor in the South, Everton have to make a change for their match with Burnley at Goodison Park, tomorrow. George Jackson will fill the breach at right full back, but the South African tourist is always as fit as a fiddle, and a reliable defender also, so the side will not suffer, although Cook has been playing grand football this season. In meeting Burnley, Everton meets old acquaintances and friends. Tom Lawton came from the Turf Moor club, and Jimmy Stein, and Dusty Miller went to Burnley from Everton. Lawton will be all out to show his old colleagues that he has made vast improvement since his East Lancashire days. Burnley have tradition, for they were Cup winners in 1914, and once had a sequence of victories which has never since been beaten. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Burnley; Adams; Marshall, Mather; Martindale, Woodruff, Bray, Hayes, Gardiner, Bruckisbank, Knight, Hornby.

October 14, 1939. The Evening Express.
Burnley Skill In Attack
By Watcher.
Red Sagar, the veteran of the side in point of years of service, led Everton against Burnley, at Goodison Park, today, in the absence of Thomson and Cook. He celebrated his honour by winning the toss, and give his side the advantage of the sun. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley:- Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff and Bray, half-backs; Hayes, Gardiner, Brucklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Brown. Everton immediately took up the attack and Boyes had a chance of opening the scoring after moving to the inside right position, but the ball came to his wrong foot and Adams was able to clear. A corner to Burnley followed and Gardiner tested Sagar with a low shot, which the goalkeeper saved by swinging himself to the right. Gardiner, who formerly played for Liverpool, opened up another attack on the Everton goal, Sagar saving a long drive from Martindale. Lawton broke through, but his fierce drive was directed straight at Adams. Burnley were showing themselves to be every bit as good as Everton in attack and Gardiner tried another strong drive, which, however, was well off the mark. For a time, Everton were unable to get going at all smoothly, and when Boyes and Stevenson displayed clever combination on the home left, the movement was ruined by the inside-left getting into an offside position.
Everton Warm Up.
Everton began to warm up to their work, and Adams saved from Gillick after Lawton had nodded the ball back to the outside right, while Stevenson placed wide with a strong drive. Boyes came into the limelight again a few minutes later when he shot from close range, Adams bringing off a fine one-handed save. In 34 minutes Everton took the lead with a rather fortunate goal. Gillick did the spade work by bringing the ball close in along the goal line before delivering a low centre. The ball struck a defender and was diverted past Adams into the net. Gardiner continued to be Burnley’s star attacker and he led yet another raid on the Everton goal, his shot passing wide of the far upright. Burnley attacked on the left on resuming and from Horby’s centre Hayes headed over the bar. Another raid from the quarter followed, but knight placed wide from long range.
Half-Time; Everton 1, Burnley 0.

October 14, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Last Of Goodison Friendlies.
Burnley’s Method
Taking A Leaf Out Of Everton’s Book
By Stork.
Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley: - Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff and Bray, half-backs; Hayes, Gardiner, Brucklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Brown. The game between Everton and Burnley the last of the frinedlies before the start with regional football attracted quite the smallest crowd I have ever seen at Goodison. I don’t think there were more than 3,000 people present. The football in the first 20 minutes was good as a spectacle, for Burnley seemed to take a leaf out of Everton’s book and rely, upon football craft to bring them results. While this sort of thing made an appeal to a lot of folk, there were many others who desired to see something more thrilling. They did witness several goal incidents and with the slightest bit of luck might have seen a goal by their favourites, Everton, for the home side had the better chances and were the more dangerous side near goal. Boyes and Gillick each had opportunities which, in normal circumstances would have gained a frown had they not scored, but today, with nothing at stake, there were no grumbles. Tom Gardiner, one time Liverpool, and England half back who is now in the Burnley forward line, has acquired the necessary touches as an inside forward.
One For Everton.
Then Boyes, who had been bringing the house down with his trickery, almost gave Everton the lead, Adams saving in the last second, touching the ball round the upright. At 34 minutes Everton took the lead, I gave the goal to Gillick, although the ball went into the net of a Burnley back, who was standing in front of Lawton. Some claim Lawton gave the ball its final touch, but that was not my reading of the incident. There must have been some little wind down below, for many of the Everton passes went too far forward and so gave the Burnley defence many free kicks. Hornby, on the Burnley left wing was a grand little worker, and Hayes caused Sagar to save on the post with almost an oblique shot. Just on the interval Gardiner made a long run and tried to place the ball wide of Sagar, but it went wide of goal also. Nevertheless Gardiner got an ovation for his work from his townies.
Half-time: Everton 1, Burnley 0.

Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 16 October 1939
Following a collision with a motor-car in the fog in Sealand-road, two miles from Chester, today, Denys Anthony Elliot, aged about 30, of Morrell-avenue, South Park, Oxford, received head injuries, from which he died almost immediately. The body was taken to Chester Royal Infirmary. The driver of the car involved was Charles Leyfield, the ex-Everton footballer. who lives in Handbridge, Chester. Elliot, who was riding motor-cycle, had recently been living with his sister in Bagillt-street, Holywell.

October 16, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, Burnley 0
Everton Get Four Goals.
By Stork.
It would appear that both Everton and Burnley set out to give an exhibition of highly skilled football at Goodison Park on Saturday, and while it was good as a spectacle and showed me art and craft of the players, it did not bring many thrills. Even the four goals scored were cleverly obtained, and due to the working of the mind instead of the power of the boot. I am afraid the 3,500 spectators wanted something more then football finesse judging from some of the remarks issued to the players, but it was only light hearted banter and bore no sting about it. This game was as quiet as a churchyard. Everton ran up 4 goals, the first being gilded into the net by a Burnley back who tried to keen out a centre by Gillick. This was the full extent of the scoring up to the interval, but there was much good football, excellent ball control and passing movements often carried beyond a satisfactory point, but little in the nature of a breath-taking shot. These were left to the second half. After Gillick had run into a perfect position after he had been dawdling along and slipped the ball away from the advancing goalkeeper, Stevenson followed suit, and finally Lawton headed in a centre from Greenhalgh. Yes, Greenhalgh is correct. He had come up among the forwards. Sandwiched in between these goals were some fierce shots by Hayes, the Burnley outside right, and some grand saves by Sagar, Everton’s captain. Strange as it may appear, Sagar had the more difficult work to perform, for the Everton’s forwards let Adams off very lightly. Gardiner, formerly Liverpool, Aston Villa, and England, has lost none of his craft; in fact he was a great construction list and made many fine openings for his colleagues, but only Hayes showed any shooting ability. Brocklebank missed a “sitter” and so, for that matter did Lawton. He tried to emulate the previous scorers by gliding the ball into the net, but missed his way. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley:- Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff and Bray, half-backs; Hayes, Gardiner, Brucklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Brown.

October 16, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Sitting at Goodison Park on Saturday reminded me of some of the games I have seen across the border, when the game is played at half the pace of English football and where the ball is made to do the work. But we English crowds –save the name, there were only 3,500 present –want more than fanciful football. There must be a kick in it to rouses the English football fan. It is difficult to get enthusiastic about a thing when the place looks empty. Ask any muscle ball artist what it is like playing before a small houses. He will tell you it’s stone cold. Make no mistake about it, the lack of a crowd must effect a player. The roar of the crowd will spur him on. Well there was no crowd at Goodison Park to see Burnley beaten 4-0 (It should have been 10-0). Whether this regional football will be a success or not greatly depends upon the attendance and what it brings. This was purely an exhibition match. Both teams indulged in ball jugglery, spells of combination, prolonged all too long and not enough quick silver about it. Burnley were just as keen to show how clever they could be. They had no intention of letting their more famous rivals steal all the thunder for finesse, so we saw some smart ball play, if nothing else. Even some of the goals were scored in so clever a way that the crowd laughed rather than roared their appreciation. A week ago there was an abundance of fouls. On Saturday there were about two and those accidental. That will give you some idea as to the feeling among the players.

October 19, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Regional Scheme Begins.
Rangers Notes.
And now for football. Everton set the ball rolling in the regional competition at Goodison Park on Saturday with a visit from Stoke. Stoke will be bringing a strong side and when I had a word with Manager Bob McGrory this morning he was hopeful that the Potters would start off with a least a division of spoils. Goalkeeper McMahon has gone back to the Wrexham district, and with their two clever other keepers in the Army Stoke bring in Jones, the Potteries product who went to Carlisle last season but has now returned to his native heath. There is another great artist in the team in the person of Griffiths, formerly of Manchester United, also a native of the Potteries, but otherwise the side, which will be chosen from the following twelve players, will show little change from pro-war days. The twelve probables are: - Jones; Brigham, Griffiths; Tootill, Mould, Soo; (forwards from) Matthews, Smith, Sale, Ormston, Baker, and Pettitt. Everton will in all probability have the same team as that which defeated Burnley last week: - Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones, Watson, Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
Welsh Senior Cup
Everton and Liverpool have had to refuses the invitation to take part in the Welsh Senior Cup. One reason is the excessive travelling, which might be involved by trips to Cardiff, Swansea and elsewhere, another the fact that already every blank Saturday has been filled with a friendly.
• Ex-Everton player Leyfield will play for Chester against Tranmere on Saturday.

Liverpool Evening Express - Wednesday 18 October 1939
A crash between Holywell motorcyclist and a motor-car driven by Charles Leyfield, the Chester and former Everton footballer, on Sealand-road, Chester, during the fog early on Monday morning, was described to Chester City Deputy Coroner (Mr. R. A. Williams) today. The inquest was on Denys Anthony Elliott, aged 36, widower, radio salesman, Bagillt-street, Holywell, who died from a fractured skull. Leyfleld, who resides in Appleyardslane, Chester, said he was driving towards Sealand at about 30 m.p.h. and saw the lights of an approaching car. Just as I was half way past it a motor-cycle shot out from behind, and I immediately braked,” he said. “The motor-cyclist struck my car on the offside front mudguard. After putting on my brakes I skidded for 33ft. and curved from a foot over the white line on my correct side to the gutter on my off-side. It all happened in a split second, and the motorcyclist seemed to hit both cars.” Several witnesses said Leyfield's car did not swerve until after the impact. The Deputy Coroner recorded a verdict of Death from Misadventure and added that no blame was attached to Leyfield oi the driver of the other car, Francis Lovett Siddall, of Fenton.

Liverpool Evening Express - Wednesday 18 October 1939
Cook and Mercer, both of Everton. were among the 15 internationals took part today in the first of the Football Association matches arangedfor their £50,000 drive for the Lord My of London’s Red Cross and St. Fund. The match, between Combined Aldershot and Army XI. and F.A. was played on Aldershot Town ground. Goulden and Hall were soon prominent the F.A. side and they kept tne wingers, Foxall and Finch, active. Chalmers showed nice football for the Army. The F.A. were more dangerous, and Billington, put through by Goulden, struck the post. Sproston and Cook defended grandly for the combined side. Mercer inspired several raids, and Bartram brought off superb saves from Mercer, Ray and Stephenson. Half-time; Combined Aldershot Town and Army XI. 0, F.A. XI. 0.

Liverpool Daily Post - Thursday 19 October 1939
 An ex-Everton footballer, Charles Leyfield, who now lives in Appleyard Lane, Handbndge, Chester. was exonerated from blame at an inquest, Chester, a yesterday, on a motor-cyclist, Denys Anthony Elliott, aged 36. BagiJlt Street, Holywell, killed in collision with a car driven by Leyfleid in Sealand Road during the fog on Monday morning. Evidence was given that, as Leyfield was passing a car, the motor-cyclist came out from behind the car and the collision occurred. Leyfield said he swerved and finished on his wrong side. This was corroborated by several witnesses. The Coroner returned verdict of Misadventure.”

Liverpool Evening Express - Friday 20 October 1939
Everton and Liverpool football clubs have received the necessary Police permission to accommodate crowds up to 15.000 for their Regional Competition matches without advance bookings (writes Pilot). This follows a letter from the Football Association pointing out that the Home Office had agreed to 15,000 spectators at grounds with a holding capacity of 60.000 or more. Mr. W. C. Cuff, President the Football League, stated today that he was selecting the League side to oppose the all-British team at Goodison Park on November 4, in conjunction with Mr. Fred Howarth, the League secretary. They are at present working on the matter.

October 20, 1939, The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton, who start their season with First Division friends, Stoke City will have their strongest team available, the same which cantered to victory over Burnley a week ago. That game produced much good football, but there must be more “devil” displayed tomorrow. Spectators stood the friendly games simply because there was no other sort of football, but with a competitive game it will be a different matter. The lack of interest was shown in the attendance. Everton have never recorded such a low figure with the first team on duty. All eyes will be on the new type of football. It is satisfying all will be well, if not, small gates will be the result. Stoke have perhaps the greatest wing player England has had for years in the person of Stanley Matthews, but it is strange that he has had a lean time on Merseyside grounds. He is a grand player and surrounding him are men who will offer Everton a stern test. Stoke will choose their side from twelve players, but there will be little difference in the composition of the eleven which did duty before the war. With such names as Tutin, Soo, Brigham, Griffiths, (former of Manchester United) and Sale in the team, Everton will find them no easy victims. Nevertheless I expect the champions to win. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones, Watson, Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Stoke; Jones; Brigham, Griffiths; Tootill, Mould, Soo; (forwards from) Matthews, Smith, Sale, Ormston, Baker, and Pettitt.

October 21, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Nestor.
“Caps and medals aren’t everything,” my immediately neighbour, a night duty-special Constable, broke in. “Plenty of players have shown wonderful ability –skill above the ordinary –yet have failed to attract the notice of the authorities their play so richly deserved. Why should you ignore such men when you search for the greatest player of modern times?” we could have gone on arguing and voicing our varied opinions for the rest of the night, but of what use would that have been. I am certain that at the end of it all we should still have begged to differ one with the other. So I tried to sum up our discussion. Personality –popularity –skill above the ordinary –honours –the really great player of football must have them all. “”Dixie” Dean had them all –Harry Hibbs and Ernest Blenkinsop, Jack Hill, and David Jack, Charlie Buchan and Eric Brook, Tom Cooper and Alex James. And no doubt, you could add to the list. Great players all –some of the greatest ever. Take a closer look at a few of them. William Dean, now unfortunately lost to first-class football, was, I think you will agree, the most devastatingly powerful centre-forward of modern times. He had everything –build and brains, speed and skill, and bullets in both feet, while that black head of his could steer a ball through the posts with remarkable precision and accuracy. Defenders have told me that Dean was the most difficult of all forwards to tackle. Yet he was popular throughout the land, and his appearance in an England side in another country had the effect of increasing the size of the crowd to an appreciable extent. That surely proved his greatness.
Personality Points.
For more than twelve years, the big fellow from Birkenhead led the Everton forward line with such masterly dash that he gained every honour open to the professional footballer. He also collected a “bag” of more than 400 goals –all for the Goodison park club, including 60 in one season (1927-28) which set up an individual scoring record that stands to this day. I saw “Dixie” Dean in action many times and I do not hesitate to give it as my firm conviction that he was the most complete centre-forward of modern football. His display at Hampden Park, for England against Scotland in 1927 was worth going hundreds of miles to see. In that match England’s forces were sadly disarranged, following an injury to Jack Hill, the captain, and Roy Goodall, the Huddersfield full back. Players were switched about and the big “Ginger” Hill had to relinquish his place at centre half to play on the right wing, which he did with his head swathed in a blood stained bandage. Despite these misfortunes, Dean was outstanding brilliant against a powerful Scottish defence, and he scored two perfect ct goals enabling his country to win one of the most sensational of all internationals. Dean was inspired that day –as he was so often during the long and honoured career.

October 21, 1939. The Evening Express.
Stevenson And Boyes Put Blues Ahead.
By Watcher.
Stan Matthews was unable to play for Stoke City against Everton, at Goodison Park today, in the first game of the Regional series. Peppitt was Matthews’ deputy at outside-right. Stole also made changes on the opposite wing, Ormston being at outside left with Liddle as his partner. The attendance numbered about 6,000 at the start. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.), and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Stoke City: - Jones, goal; Brigham and Griffiths, backs; Tutin, Mould, and Soo, half-backs; Pepitt, Smith, Sale, Liddell, and Ormston, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Campbell (Liverpool).
Stoke began by raiding the Everton goal, but although their football was attractive they failed to bring Sagar into action. It was Everton who were the first to appear dangerous, and Bentham should have scored from Boyes, pass, but he missed his kick when only a few yards from goal. Everton took the lead in seven minutes, Stevenson opening the scoring. Watson began the movement by passing in to Gillick, who attempted a low drive. The ball ran to Stevenson, who hooked it into the net over Jones’s arms. Ormston went close for Stoke with a strong, low shot which passed wide and then Jackson produced a tremendous turn of speed to dispossess sale, when the centre forward was going through. In fourteen minutes Everton went further ahead with a goal from Boyes. Once again it was Gillick who provided the opening, with the Scot placing his pass square across the goal for Boyes to bang the ball home with his left foot. Gillick and Boyes almost repeated the feat just afterwards, but on this occasion the left winger fired inches over. Jones saved well from Gillick before Bentham almost increased Everton’s lead. Stoke fought back well and Sagar saved cleverly from peppitt. Smith went near with a fast drive. In 34 minutes Stoke reduced the lead with a goal by Sale, who veered to the left of the Everton goal before beating Sagar with a strong low shot. Stoke put on pressure and Sagar had to clear several high centres.
Half-Time: Everton 2, Stoke City 1.
Within two minutes of the resumption Everton scored twice. The first goal came in 47 minutes and followed an attack on the right, Lawton scoring from close range. Two minutes later Everton were awarded a free kick about 30 yards from goal, and Jones scored with a fine low drive.

October 21, 1939. Evening Express.
Football crowds Take Shelter.
Air raid warming sirens sounded in a number of areas on the North-east coast of England this afternoon. The all-clear was given about 20 minutes later. At one coast town gunfire and the drone of ‘planes engines were heard before the warming. In some of the areas crowds were on their way to football matches. They went to the nearest shelters. In one town players and officials assembled on the ground took refuge nearby. Three of these players, local A.R.P wardens went away to report for duty and the start of the match was delayed . Many women and prams were shopping. They took their children into the shelters with them and left the prams outside.

October 21, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
Stevenson Shows The Way.
Boyes’s Burst
Helps To Increase Score Against Stoke.
By Stork.
Everton fans had the joy of an early goal at Goodison Park, to assist their disappointment at the non appearance of Stanley Matthews, Stoke City’s star winger. Apparently he was unable to get away from his work. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.), and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Stoke City: - Jones, goal; Brigham and Griffiths, backs; Tutin, Mould, and Soo, half-backs; Pepitt, Smith, Sale, Liddell, and Ormston, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Campbell (Liverpool). The attendance at the start was small, but showed an increase shortly after the game had commenced, but I should say 5,000 people were present. At six minutes Stevenson scored for Everton in a rather uncommon manner. Stoke seemed to think he was offside, but as Griffiths was standing in front of him he could not have been and the referee made no move to suggest that he was. “Stevie” went on, and when he got close on the goalkeeper he shot, the ball actually striking Jones and then trickling over the line. So far Stoke only reply had been a shot by Sale, which slammed up against T.G. Jones yet, although they had been so meagre in their shooting Stoke had produced some clever football to match that of Everton. At the quarter-hour Everton took a second goal. Boyes meeting a cross by Gillick which almost tore away the netting with the power of his shot. Jackson showed pace when he rushed across to prevent Sale from walking through to a certain goal after Jones had made a half-hearted sort of pass back. Everton were the more skilful side, and Gillick should have put up a third when he tried to glide the ball beyond the keeper, instead of which he simply turned it on to the custodian who was thankful at the opportunity to save. At 35 minutes Stoke reduced the lead, following a nice piece of combination. Sale hooking the ball into the net although awkwardly angled. Towards the interval Stoke improved and several times they were within an ace of scoring but their finishing was not at all it might have been.
Half-time Everton 2, Stoke City 1.
Lawton’s Goal.
In the second half Stoke opened with a rapid attack, but Everton replied in quick style, and Lawton scored from a Boyes centre. Boyes by the way produced an amazing burst of speed to get through the Stoke’s defence. Jones scored a fourth for Everton after 49 minutes and Sale scored for Stoke three minutes later from a penalty.

Liverpool Daily Post - Monday 23 October 1939
Three Stoke City football enthusiasts now serving as members of the National Defence Corps, walked twenty-seven miles to the Everton ground to cheer Stoke City in the Regional League game on Saturday. They were Privates J. Barrow, J. Buckley and J. Kind.

October 23, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, Stoke City 4
Everton Fail To Hold A 4-1 Lead.
By Stork.
Everton should have had no difficulty in winning their first regional game, for at one period they held a 4-1 lead over Stoke City at Goodison Park. But Stoke caught up and the result was 4-4. The feeling of security may have been responsible for Everton’s failure to take a win, for up to the time of the first goal they were always the superior side. Stoke had been outplayed and outmanoeuvred. Instead of Everton hammering down their advantage, they handed over the reins to their opponents who were glad of the opportunity to show that they were not so poor as Everton had painted them. There were only 6,500 people present. They saw some clever football, particularly by the Everton side, who these days are producing a type of football, which should be pleasing to those who like football for football sake. Everton scored first through Stevenson (six minutes) and Boyes and Sale (Stoke) scored goals before the interval. Lawton, in the second half, and Jones (free kick) added to Everton’s lead.
Sale’s Penalty Goal.
Everton then lost some of their sting. They appeared to take matters too easily, and when Sale got a second goal from the penalty spot, Stoke gained the impression that they had a chance even than Sale was ever a danger. A corner proved fatal (following a great save by Sagar) for, from a header by Liddle the ball was caught by Sagar but dropped one of his hands over his head. With the score 4-3 Everton got a hold again, but they could not score. Stevenson had netted following a free kick but the kick was ordered to be retaken, and this time it failed. Close on time Sale hooked the ball towards the net, Sagar would have saved, but the ball struck Greenhalgh on the foot, which put Sagar out of position. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.), and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Stoke City: - Jones, goal; Brigham and Griffiths, backs; Tutin, Mould, and Soo, half-backs; Pepitt, Smith, Sale, Liddell, and Ormston, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Campbell (Liverpool).

October 23, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton were surprised by Stoke City in their first Regional match, which attracted a crowd of 6,145 people, for at one time they held a 4-1 lead, and seemed well set for a comfortable victory, but they bargained without Sale, the Stoke City centre forward who put Lawton in the shade with three goals. I think Everton failed because of their big lead. Everton were soon on top of the world with two early goals and although Sale reduced the leeway before the interval, two further quick goals after the respite by Lawton and Jones but Everton in what appeared to be an unassailable position, but in football it does not do to take things for granted. The game is never won until it is lost, and Stoke showed Everton that it does not pay to rest on one’s oars. A penalty goal by Sale for a trip on himself was the turning point, and to demonstrate further how a game can take a decided turn Stevenson had what appeared a perfectly good goal disallowed. Gillick had one of his tantalising days. He riled the crowd by the nonchalant way he went to his work. This was not fair to his colleagues, who did try their utmost. Jones free kick goal was a snorter, his namesake in the Stoke goal not having time to move before the ball was at the back of the net.
• Everton have been asked for the services of Lawton, Jones and Gillick for the international match at Goodison Park on November 4.

October 23, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Watcher.
Everton are expected to have three representatives in the charity match at Goodison Park on November 4, when a Football League X1 will meet an All-British side in aid of the Red Cross. The players are Lawton, Jones and Gillick. Lawton will lead the Football League attack, while Jones and Gillick will play for the All-British team. Yet another Everton player expects to join the Army. He is Jock Thomson, the Blues’ captain, who hopes to follow in the footsteps of Mercer, and Cook and become a voluntary physical training instructor. Everton failed to maintain their grip on the game against Stoke City at Goodison Park on Saturday and after enjoying a lead of three goals, had to be content with a 4-4 draw. It was a spirited rally by Stoke which enabled the Potters to take away a point, but the visitors would be the first to admit that fortune smiled on their efforts. The honours of the game went to Everton’s left flank. Greenhalgh and Watson generally proved too good for the Stoke right wing. Greenhalgh giving a perfect display of clean kicking and incisive tackling. Jones, too was brilliant in defence, while Boyes and Stevenson proved the best wing on view. Lawton maintained his record of having scored in every match he has played this season.
• Everton and Liverpool have both decided to admit men in uniform at half-price to all matches.

October 27, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Everton will be breaking new ground when they visit New Brighton tomorrow, and the Rakers should greatly benefit by their visit, for the champions will have they strongest team available. It looks a “cakewalk” for Everton; but don’t let us lose sight of the fact that the Rakers have done some splendid things on their own ground in the past. How will Everton find the cramped conditions of Rake Lane? The wing men in particular will find that riding the rails is a tricky business, while when they come to face the “hill” it will be a new experience for them who have played on a billiard table surface. This ground question is going to be somewhat of a problem for the “star” teams, with their spacious grounds, but it is one which they will have to face up with until more happy days come along. Rake Lane should be worth a goal start to the homesters, but even with such a lead I expect Everton’s greater skill to carry the day. New Brighton have got together a very useful side and Waring and Frost in the forward, and a defence which gives little away. It should be an entertaining sort of game, for from what I hear the Rakers can pull out some good football when they like, and this will be one of the occasions when they will be able to do so without any fear that they will be bustled off their game by smash and grab tactics. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. New Brighton: - Hawthorn; Ratcliffe, Buxton; Savage, Wright, B. Hughes, Davies; Main, Waring, Frost, Stuart (or Hanson).

October 28, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Stan Eastham, the Liverpool half back, turned out for New Brighton against Everton in the Western Regional game, which attracted 6,000 people to Rake-Lane. New Brighton:- Hawthorn, goal; Ratcliffe and Buxton, backs; Eastham (Liverpool), S. Hughes and Davies, half-backs; Main, Waring, Frost, Ainsworth and Hanson, forwards. Everton:- Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.) and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. W. H. Evans (Liverpool). Everton should have been a goal up in a matter of seconds, for Gillick’s centre gave a clear-cut chance to Boyes who, however, placed to Hawthorn’s hands. New Brighton had rather more of the game, so far as actual possession was concerned, Hughes never allowing Lawton any latitude. Sagar had to save from Hanson, after Eastham and Main had cut out the work, and Hawthorn saved at full length from Stevenson. There was a roar when Lawton at last escaped the attention of Hughes, but the shot sailed over. There was more to thrill in a brilliant effort by Waring who jumped through to Hanson’s hook pass, and placed just by the near post. Boyes made a sinuous dribble, before he shot away on his own, and Hawthorn saved near the post by quickly shooting out a foot. There was not much to choose between the teams, but Everton seemed to be playing with that little bit in hand, only to find themselves upset by the first-time tackling of the Rakers.

October 28, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
New Brighton Claim Their Share Of Play
By Stork.
New Brighton:- Hawthorn, goal; Ratcliffe and Buxton, backs; Eastham (Liverpool), S. Hughes and Davies, half-backs; Main, Waring, Frost, Ainsworth and Hanson, forwards. Everton:- Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.) and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. W. H. Evans (Liverpool). Everton’s visit to Rake Lane brought a crowd of more than 6,000. New Brighton had Stan Eastham, of Liverpool, on duty, and Hanson in the forward line. Everton should have taken the lead in the first minute, when Boyes made a half-hearted shot which went into Hawthorn’s hands. Sagar had to save from Hanson, and Waring. The football was entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the footwork of Boyes, who was like a box of tricks. Waring almost sneaked a lead for the Rakers, and would most probably have done so had not the ball come to him rather as a surprise. He had to make a quick shot, instead of a deliberate one, but even so he was only a foot or so out. For a time New Brighton had a firm grip of things but Hawthorn had to be very slick to turn a long drive by Bentham over the bar. Boyes did net for Everton, but was palpably offside.

Fair Play
Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 28 October 1939
“Sportsman” (Liverpool 4) writes the following letter;— “How about an appeal for fair play for Gillick ? Watching Everton this past few weeks it has been obvious that Gillick is not playing so well as he did last season, but surely, just because a man happens to lose his form for a while, he should not be subjected to unkind remarks from spectators who stand near the line. Perhaps those wno shout should remember that in their own jobs some days they feel much better than others. So, please let us have consideration for Gillick —and, incidentally, every man on the field.'
Reader “M.M.” raises quite an interesting point regarding Everton and Liverpool football clubs. He asks whether ever, in the history of the two clubs, both have had a goalkeeper as first team captain? Ted Sagar is at present captain Everton, and Arthur Riley is the skipper of the Reds. This is unique. I cannot find through out the years that both Reds and Blues have had goalkeepers as captains.

October 30, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
New Brighton 0 Everton 1
Lone Goal At Rake Lane
By Stork.
A goal scored by Gillick at the 41st minute gave Everton victory over New Brighton at Rake Lane. One of the best crowds seen on the ground 6,000 save an Everton capable of good-class football keep out more aggressive opponents by their strong defensive cover. For a time in the first half New Brighton got such a grip of the game that there was a possibly that they would take the lead. Sagar, the Everton goalkeeper, foiled them, if only by that one magnificent save from Ainsworth. It was a great shot by the Raker inside forward, but Sagar jumped across goal and kept the ball out. Waring once flashed the ball just outside the woodwork. During all this time Everton were trying to show just how clever they could be, but the New Brighton defence was strong. Ratcliffe, Buxton and S. Hughes building up a great barrier. Just before half-time, however, Gillick nipped through to score the all-important goal. Everton previously had missed chances. While New Brighton got into close touch with Sagar, the Everton goalkeeper was so ably covered by Greenhalgh, Jackson and Jones that his work was reduced to the minimum. Frost had a great chance but his shot had no power behind it. Waring was a great craftsman for New Brighton and Main proved most orthodox in his use of the ball. It was Hughes, as much as anyone, who prevented Everton from running to a long victory, for he kept Lawton on a tight rein. He is the first centre-half who has prevented England’s centre forward from scoring this season. . New Brighton: - Hawthorn, goal; Ratcliffe and Buxton, backs; Eastham (Liverpool), S. Hughes (captain) and Davies, half-backs; Main, Waring, Frost, Ainsworth and Hanson, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Jones (T.) and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. W. H. Evans (Liverpool).

October 30, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Yes, and those Rakers’ followers did so want to see their favourities beat the League champions. Chairman Dr. Tom Martlew, and brother Dr. Bob Martlew, became really excited towards the end when New Brighton were battling away to discount Gillick’s first half winner. New Brighton’s spirit was to be admired, although at no time did they have the poise and serenity of Everton. The man who took my eye was Hughes, their amateur captain, who is a Liverpool Corporation worker and once played for Liverpool. The crowd urged him on with the cry of “Come on, “Steve,” and Steve responded nobly. No centre-half I have seen has so effectively put the damper on goal-a-match Tom Lawton. Lawton’s proud record crashed on this Hughes “rock.” He failed to score, and at no time was he able to escape the clutches of Hughes. Stevenson and Bentham were Everton’s most effective forwards, although Boyes footwork was often a delight. Pity his finishing was not of the Bobby Main standard. Main and Alf Hanson were excellent home raiders. I hear that both will be assisting the Rakers regularly. Jackson and Jones were great in Everton’s defence, and Sagar and Hawthorn made some really astonishing saves. In Wallasey I met Billy Dean, goal-scoring champions, looking, exceptionally well. He is now on National work. If you see him turning out for New Brighton shortly, do not be surprised.

October 30, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton are making this regional football into a series of exhibition games. They were over indulgent in the matter of ball control, and excessive in passing movements against New Brighton at Rake Lane, yet were good enough to win by a single goal. It was a rare good goal that Gillick scored just before the interval, but the margin should have been much wider than that at the half stage, for Boyes had missed two simple ones, and Lawton blazed one over the crossbar. Everton seemed to be taking things easily, and New Brighton were able to get a hold of the game, and for ten minutes they gave the Everton defence something to think about and had not Sagar made a brilliant save from Ainsworth, a different story might have had to be told. New Brighton were the more straight forward workers, and produced some nice movements, but they found the Everton defence particularly good at covering up their goalmouth, so much so that they never looked like scoring in the second half. That they should have done so brooks of no denial for Frost was left with an “unmissable” chance from a few yards out, but shot tamely. Everton are due for some surprises if they go on as they have been doing, for they will find the more progressive play of the Third Northern teams will one day outmatch their most scientific and elaborate methods. It may be good to watch but not so good if the others follows are taking the goals. New Brighton’s defence often cut Everton’s combination to ribbons by their quick interventions and S. Hughes, the centre half, holds the distinction of preventing Lawton from scoring for the first time in any match this season.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 31 October 1939
The following team has been selected to represent Wales against England at Ninian Park, Cardiff, on Saturday, November 11, aid of the Eord Maj or of London’s Bed Cross and St. John War Fund:— , Whatley .Tottenham H.); Green (Charlton A.). Jones (Everton), Pearson (Birmingham); Hopkin (Brentford), Astley (Blackpool, Glover (Plymouth A), Bryn Jones (Arsenal) and Cumner (Arsenal).

October 1939