Everton Independent Research Data


October 1, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is a full programme of six matches in the Liverpool County Combination on Saturday, and Everton Reserves play Carlton at Goodison Park. Everton will have a debutant in a Scottish centre-forward from St. Johnstone-McPherson. I hear McPherson is a player of experience and well-built, and he should prove quite an asset. Good reports continue to reach me regarding Fowler, Everton’s 17-year-old winger from Prescot, who was recommended by clubmate Jack Lyon last season. Fowler is certainly taking the eye and plays for the first team tomorrow, Lawton also being a certainty. Everton; Birkett; Tutill, Curwen; Humphreys, McDonnell, Fairfoull; Wyles, Jones (R), McPherson, Grant, Lyon. Carlton; (from); G. Straton; P. Keane, E. Phillips, H, Hanson, G. Stobbart, J. Butler, J. Milligan, A. Nelson, P. Steele, H. Dailey, W. Coppack, J. Parle, J. Minshull, P. Davie.

October 2, 1942. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Fowler, a 17-year-old Prescot boy, crashes into the football lime-light tomorrow, when he makes his debut in the Football league. Fowler will play outside-left for Everton against Burnley at Turf Moor. Curiously enough, Fowler will take the place of jack Lyon, the Whiston boy who recommended Fowler to Everton last season. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly was hoping that Wally Boyes would be able to play after having been a star with Sunderland, but Wally remains doubtful, and so Fowler goes along for his big chance. Fowler has proved the find of Everton’s reserve side. He is about 5ft 8in, and 10st 6lb, and a natural footballer with a remarkable turn of speed and the ability to cross a ball accurately.
First Away Win.
In my pools forecast during the week I gave the Burnley-Everton match to end in a draw, but now I am wondering whether it would not have been nearer the mark to give Everton to win outright. Anyway I feel confident that the Blues have a great chance of recording their first away win of the season, and their first “double.” For one thing –and the main thing –Tommy Lawton, Bolton-born but Burnley developed, definitely leads the Everton attack, as a preliminary run to his leadership of England a week hence, and Lawton’s very presence will make a tremendous difference to the effectiveness, of the Everton attack. There is no bigger match-winner in football. Tommy will lack the support of clever Alex Stevenson who cannot play because he will be participating in an import R.A.F game, but Norman Higham, the lad Everton brought to the fore some years ago and who has been with Middlesbrough and Southampton, will be at inside-left and Norman is a rare constructionist. Then there is Fowler or Boyes on the left and Jackson and Mutch linking up on the right in an attack which, with the soundness of the rear divisions, should make for an Everton win. I was not particularly impressed with Burnley last week, and do not think their defence can hold Lawton and company. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Lawton, Higham, Fowler (or Boyes).

October 2, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With Tommy Lawton back in the side Everton may registered their second win of the season, but they will have to shoot oftener than they did last week to pull it off. That’s where will come in, and if the Burnley defence cracks up again and I shouldn’t be surprised to see Lawton bag a good harvest. Unfortunately, Stevenson won’t be playing, for the reverse of the usual reason. He hasn’t been moved farther away, but nearer but his F.A.F station which has just formed its own team, plays its first match tomorrow and they want Stevenson to help give them a good send-off. Though the station side will be playing regularly, they will not often ask for his help, and every consideration will be given to Everton for his service. The Blues will have Norman Higham in their side as deputy, and if Boyes is not able to make the journey, Fowler the promising “A” team winger will get his first senior outing. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Lawton, Higham, Fowler (or Boyes).

October 3, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Burnley:- Holdcroft (ex-Reserve) (Preston North End), goal; Readett and Snowden, backs; Robinson, Woodruff, and Wigglesworth (J), half-backs; Gardner, Brocklebank, Waddington (R), Hornby, and Keighley (G.), forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain), and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (H.) (West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Mutch (Preston North End), Lawton, Higham (Southampton) (ex-Blue), and Boyes, forwards. Everton’s goal was in peril when Keighley sent across a centre which Jones passed back weakly to his goalkeeper. It was touch and go who would obtain possession as Burnett rushed out of goal and Garner raced toward it. The goalkeeper won by a short head and kicked clear. Everton forwards moved into the attack, and Lawton from the right corner flag forced Holdcroft to pull his centre down from under the bar. Jackson had a pile-driver saved by Holdcroft just as the referee ruled Boyes offside. Gardner almost scored a goal when Jones misjudged the ball and Gardner’s shot swung outside. Woodruffe twice held up Everton advances, but he could not prevent an Everton goal after 15 minutes. Lawton and Mutch paved the way to success although it was Higham who finished it off with a shot to Holdcroft’s left hand. Lawton was beating his opponents in the air, and he headed the ball which set Jackson off and although he was challenged by Woodruffe, he retained possession and crashed in an oblique shot which left Holdcroft helpless. Gardner had a shot pulled down by Burnett and later he cracked one inches over the crossbar. Burnley were putting up a good fight. Woodwuff almost gave away a penalty but the free kick served almost as well, for it produced a corner, which enabled Lawton to score a third goal for Everton at 39 minutes.
Half-time; Burnley nil, Everton 3
Burnley had a hectic five minutes in the opening of the second half, but their shooting was not good enough, although they had a number of efforts charged down. Hornby netted but the ball had been over the line. There was no doubting that the Everton defence were hard pressed at times.

October 5, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Burnley 1, Everton 4
Lawton In Form At Burnley
By Stork.
As was generally anticipated Everton brought off the “double” against Burnley at Turf Moor, and they won much more handsomely than they had done in the first meeting. True, they took a much strengthened side to Burnley, and the score, Everton 4, Burnley 1 was not flattering. Everton had six of the championship members in the side, led by Lawton, who made his name while playing with Burnley. He received an ovation all to himself when he entered the arena. Burnley showed speed and a degree of science in their play, but their defences was none too sound. Nevertheless, they gave Everton some troublesome moments, before they were finally knocked out of the game. Gardner was the big danger to the Everton defence. He went close to scoring more than once, but too much is expected of this player. There was plenty of life about Burnley while they were going hot-pace to goal, but they fell down badly when they got within reach of their goal. Everton were some time in gathering their forces, but once they got into tune with each other they indulged in football which proved too much for the Burnley defenders. Lawton naturally was all out to score a goal against his former side, and he did, but he did more than that; he offered opportunities to others, beat the defence with his accurate heading, Woodruffe having a particularly heavy day’s work. The scoring started at the quarter hour when Higham finished off the work of Lawton and Mutch to beat Holdcroft.
Burnett Saves A penalty
Twelve minutes later Jackson smashed home a vicious shot from the wing, and another dozen minutes saw Lawton mark up goal number three. Burnley, however, were not done with and for about ten minutes in the second half the Everton defenders had to put in some strong work to keep their chart intact. Even so, Burnley did not promise to damage their opponents score-card, for there was still that lack of the quick and accurate shot. They did score a goal at seventy minutes when Waddington ran through to beat Burnett. That brought back some of the “fire” into the Burnley team, but it was Everton who scored the next goal, a penalty by Cook, Holdcroft grabbed hold of Mutch as he (Mutch) was dribbling round him towards goal. Another penalty followed on, this time to Burnley, but Burnett made a magnificent save from Brocklebank, throwing himself across the goalmouth to turn the ball outside the woodwork. Everton were the more skilful side, and well worthy of their victory. Burnley:- Holdcroft (ex-Reserve) (Preston North End), goal; Readett and Snowden, backs; Robinson (A), Woodruff, and Wigglesworth (J), half-backs; Gardner, Brocklebank, Waddington (R), Hornby, and Keighley (G.), forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain), and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (H.) (West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Mutch (Preston North End), Lawton, Higham (Southampton) (ex-Blue), and Boyes, forwards.
• Liverpool beat Bury 5-2 at Anfield, Done (2), Hulligan, Mills, Gemmill (Own goal), and Carter, Davies for Bury
• Everton “A” beat Carlton 2-1 at Goodison Park

October 5, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton clicked, and in no uncertain manner. With Lawton, Mercer, and Boyes back to duty and Higham proving a fine deputy for Stevenson the Blues defeated Burnley at Turf Moor 4-1 to record their first “double” of the season. Everton’s team work was vastly superior to that of Burnley and in the first half in particularly the Blues gave the watchers many a delightful thrill. During that period Higham, Jackson and Lawton gave Everton a winning lead, and later on Cook supplemented with a penalty while Waddington got Burnley’s consolation point. Burnley’s display was creditable, but the Turf Moor side lacked Everton’s snap in front of goal and could not take their chances. Mercer was England’s outstanding player and Lawton and Mutch were also in the picture. Alick Robinson played a sterling game, for Burnley, and Gardner was a conspicuous figure in their attack.

October 5, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
Gardner was Everton’s danger at Turf Moor, if there ever was a danger –which is problematic –for while Burnley showed some spirit and ability during the first half of their game with Everton their shooting let them down badly. There was plenty of fire in Burnley’s game and the Everton defence was often hard pressed, but the shots Burnett had to save could be counted on the finger of one hand. It was a much better game than the work previous when Everton scored a narrow victory, but the strong team they took to Turf Moor was much too good for Burnley, whose defence was often caught on the wrong foot. Lawton has never looked better. He is as fit as a fiddle and I expect he prove a thorn in the side of the Scottish team at Wembley on Saturday. His speed was excellent and his heading is getting more accurate them ever. He nodded them down in the same manner as Dixie. Mercer was also in great form, and so, for that matter, were Watson and H. Jones. This middle line was good enough for the Burnley attack and further behind Cook and Greenhalgh put up s cover to Burnett, which was almost impregnable. Burnley got their goal through Everton thinking Waddington was offside. Jackson scored a nice goal, Higham also a scorer, got better as the game progressed, and Cook obtained with a penalty goal, Holdcroft grabbing Mutch as he was dribbling past him. The Bunrley forwards were “in and out,” good at times, moderate in other moments and I rated Robinson as the best of the half backs. This was Everton’s first double.

October 7, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will make four changes –one of them positional –for the Football League game with Wrexham at Goodison Park on Saturday. Lawton and Mercer will be helping England at Wembley and so once again Stan Bentham comes back to right-half, and the Bury youngster, Urmston is brought back to lead the attack. Urmston played for Bury at Anfield last Saturday and made his debut for Everton the previous week when he scored one of the goals by which the Blues defeated Burnley. Alex Stevenson returns to inside left after missing one game, and he will be partnered by Norman Higham of Middlesbrough and Southampton. Higham is the lad Everton discovered and developed before allowing him to go to Aryesome Park, and while this is his third wartime game with the Blues it will be his first at Goodison Park. Last time he trod the Ted Storey turf he wore the Borough colours. A grand little player is Higham who should make a fine wing with Stevenson. Harry Jones continues at centre half and the George –Mutch and Jackson –will be on the right wing. The “old faithful” in Burnett, Cook, Greenhalgh and Watson continue undisturbed. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Urmston, Stevenson, Higham.

October 8, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Wrexham are bringing an all-star team to Goodison Park on Saturday to tackle Everton –a team including no fewer than eight “guest” players representing seven Football League clubs. There will be two Grimsby Town players in Moore and T.W Jones, the Birmingham and former Stoke’s City skipper Hill, one of Mr. George Allisop’s Arsenal discoveries while of Preston North End and formerly of Birmingham, Frost of Newcastle United and formerly of New Brighton, Lee of Millwall; and “Pongo” Waring of England, Tranmere, Aston Villa, Barnsley, Wolves and New Brighton fame. And there is something of ususual interest about the appearance of Waring against the club he helped a few times last season. Tom has once again been selected for his old position of centre forward. Tom has been playing at inside forward for the past couple of seasons, but Manager Mr. Tom Williams decided to give Waring the role he used to fill so well. The result? Why Waring has scored seven goals from the centre forward position. Three young locals make up this attractive side –D. Jones, the goalkeeper C. Jones, the right half, and Collins the outside right, Collins is the box who impressed much when appearing at Anfield. Wrexham; Jones (D); Lee, Moore, Jones, (C), Turner; Hill, Collins, Frost, Waring, Jones (TW), White.

October 9, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Note
Nearer home, the major attraction is the clash between Everton and Wrexham at Goodison Park and though Lawton and Mercer will be missed the Blues should still be good for both points. Urmston, of Bury, will lead the attack, and if he will make up his mind to shoot oftener will be a useful acquisition. With Stevenson back and Mutch on the other side he should not lack for openings. Now that Everton have tasted the sweets of successive victories we can look to them making up last ground, and with a fairly easy programme for the rest of the half-season, they should be up among the leaders when the final reckoning comes. Wrexham, judged by their form at Anfield, will be no “push over,” but the Blues defence is strong enough to hold the best of sides, and if the attack does its stuff there should be little doubt of the result. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (H.), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Urmston, Stevenson, Higham. Wrexham; Jones (D), Lee, Moore, Jones (C), Turner, Hill, Collins, Frost, Waring, Jones (TW), White.

October 9, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It is obvious that Everton have now struck the form we expected of them when the season started. In the last fortnight they have demonstrated that their earlier form was all wrong and that they are going to come into line as championship challengers. Everton completed a fine “double” over Burnley, and now they have a splendid chance to make further progress for their next two games are with Wrexham. Wrexham are due at Goodison Park tomorrow with a galaxy of “guest” players representing seven clubs and the following week they clash at the Racecourse. Whatever happens at Wrexham I fancy Everton will win tomorrow, although some of their stars will be away. The chief danger to Everton is that tantalising tendency of taking things too easily –as against Manchester United and Liverpool. If they lapse again Wrexham will show no mercy. Wrexham have secured one point less than Everton, and last Saturday picked up their first away point. Their best achievement was to beat Manchester City. Still, now that Everton have struck top form I expect then to emerge conquerors from a match which should produce plenty of good football. The game marks the return to Goodison Park of Norman Higham, clever Lancashire boy whom Everton discovered and passed on to Middlesbrough. He is sure of a warm re-welcome. The kick-off is at 3 p.m. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (H.), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Urmston, Stevenson, Higham. Wrexham; Jones (D), Lee, Moore, Jones (C), Turner, Hill, Collins, Frost, Waring, Jones (TW), White.

October 10, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Ranger
Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Bromwich), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Mutch (Preston North End), Urmston (Bury), Stevenson and Higham (Southampton), forwards. Wrexham:- Jones (D), goal; Jones (J) and Moore (Grimsby), backs; Jones (C.), Stubbard, and Lloyd, half-backs; Collins, Frost (Newcastle), Waring (New Brighton), Jones (T.W.) (Grimsby), and Lewis, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.W. Wort (Leamington Spa). Apart from a couple of quick raids Wrexham were rarely out of their own half in the first ten minutes of the game against Everton at Goodison Park today –and it was no surprise when the home side took the lead through. Urmston who headed in a grand centre by Jackson at the eleventh minute. Wrexham improved and for a time kept Everton on the defensive, but the only shots of note they produced were a free kick by Waring which sailed over the bar, and one by Jones (T.W) the best shot of the match so far. Frost and Waring changed places, but it brought little in the way of work for Burnett. Highan and Stevenson produced some clever football and Higham was always a danger. Jackson got Everton’s second goal after 42 minutes, when he gathered a long cross-field pass from Higham and rammed home a first-time drive.
Half-time; Everton 2, Wrexham 0
Everton were a trifle fortunate not to have a goal against them when Burnett failed to connect after advancing from his goal, but Wrexham’s two shots were blocked. Wrexham also had a narrow escape when shots by Jackson and Mutch cannoned away from defenders, Jackson efforts coming off the goalkeeper’s legs as he was running back to his charge. Mutch got the ball into the net, but offside had gone a second earlier. A pass by Lewis gave Frost a chance and his heading was near enough to the mark to give Everton an uncomfortable feeling. Burnett made a brilliant save from Jones (T.W), but a couple of minutes later, with only four minutes remaining for play, Lewis reduced the deficit after Waring had let the ball go on to the winger. Burnett made a brilliant save to prevent the same player putting the side level. Final; Everton 2, Wrexham 1

October 12, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 2, Wrexham 1
Wrexham’s Fight
By Ranger.
Once more Everton’s fondness for taking things easy when once they have established a lead came near to costing them a point. As it was Everton beat Wrexham 2-1. In the first half at Goodison Park, Everton were much the better side, and at the interval had a two goal lead established by Urmston and Jackson. It should have been greater, but once more old fallings in front of goal were manifest and good approach work was nullified by erratic shooting. Wrexham, having been overplayed in the first portion, came to realise in the second half that they had a fighting chance, and though on the whole, they were well held by the home defence. Everton had quite a few anxious moments before Lewis finally reduced the lead five minutes from the finish. Wrexham there-after staged a good fighting rally, and the burden of saving the point fell upon the home defence. Everton had themselves to blame for the narrowness of their win, for their attack persisted in the close passing game, in spite of the obvious manner in which it played into Wrexham’s hands. True, the several times had the visiting defence in a tangle and twice netted from outside positions, but had they swung the ball about more freely the tale might have been more different.
Rearguard Stands Firm.
Everton’s rearguard stood firm and unruffled when Wrexham were most threatening, and though Burnett had to make a few good saves, on the whole he was not unduly troubled, for Wrexham had their forward failing. It was not a good game. There were long periods when play was dull and uninteresting, the first half in particularly being rarely enlivened with anything exciting. Higham was Everton’s most consistent forward, with Mutch running him close for effectiveness. Jackson for directness, and Stevenson for mastery of the dainly touches, Urmston was a disappointment. Wrexham have a grand right half in Cyril Jones, a local youngster, who played a storming game throughout; a clever winger in Collins and a sound back in Moore. Waring displayed his usual clever touches but failed to stay the pace and Frost, who took his place in the middle, got few chances against Harry Jones,. Attendance 6,105. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Bromwich), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Mutch (Preston North End), Urmston (Bury), Stevenson and Higham (Southampton), forwards. Wrexham:- Jones (D), goal; Jones (J.E) (Everton) and Moore (Grimsby), backs; Jones (C.), Stubbard, and Lloyd, half-backs; Collins, Frost (Newcastle), Waring (New Brighton), Jones (T.W.) (Grimsby), and Lewis, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.W. Wort (Leamington Spa).
• Liverpool beat Manchester United 4-3, Done (2), Hulligan, Harley and for Manchester United, Smith (2), Mitten
• England draw at Wembley 0-0 against Scotland, Britton, Mercer and Lawton played for England,

October 12, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The Welsh folk had reason to be pleased with the showing of their side at Goodison in spite of having to make several last-minute changes they ran Everton to a single goal margin and nearly drew level in the closing stages. True it was mainly Everton’s fault that they didn’t win with more in hand but if they will persist in looking on a two-goal lead as a certain sign of victory and easing up thereafter, they must expect to get a scare now and again. Having got first half goals through Urmston and Jackson, Everton thought they could turn the game into an exhibition match but they reckoned without Wrexham, who had other ideas, and after being apparently well beaten at one point came back to make a grand fighting finish and snatch a goal through Lewis. Again upon the shoulders or the Blues defence feil with burden. Both points, and though they had many anxious moments they did the job in calm and confident manner, aided by an occasional spot of fortune and some good saves by Burnett. It was not a good game for there was many dull and lifeless periods but it produced occasional spasms of good football, some entertaining touches from Stevenson and Mutch and a solid all-round exhibition from Higham. Cyril Jones –a Wrexham half back of grand promise –and Collins the hero of the earlier Anfield game. Everton will have to produce more punch in attack if they are to complete the double at the racecourse on Saturday.

October 12, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The feature of Wrexham’s appearance at Goodison Park was the way in which they roused the 6,000 spectators to a high pitch of excitement in the closing ten minutes as they launched their spirited ally. The rally failed but it certainly provided a refreshing climax to a match which never made any impression likely to last. As a matter of fact it was below the standard we expect in these days of clever construction and less destruction. I admired Wrexham for the way they refused to knuckle under, and if they fight with the same gameness and honours at the Racecourse next Saturday than the Welsh folk are in for a football feast. I can assure the Wrexham fans that the Evertonians were not one whit sorry when the final whistle sounded for Lewis had cut down the two goal lead which Everton held for so long. Yes, and they were piling on the pressure too. I hasten to explain that had Wrexham equalised it would have been rather an injustice to Everton, who for the greater portion, were the more assertive and adept combination. Wrexham contended that they should have had one penalty, and I think they have something there, but –Everton had two second-half goals disallowed although in each instance the ball came off an opponent before the scorer made the winning thrust. And that fact rules out all question of offside Mr. Wort must have been unsighted. Anyway, Urmston and Jackson took their scoring openings in the first half excellently, and George Jackson caused me to lift my eyebrows by the accuracy, and pace he got behind his shot –with his left foot. It was a “smasher” Urmston took the header nicely too, but the youngster from Bury should have been top scorer of the day with all these chances. His main faulty to my mind, is lack of confidence in his own shooting ability. Time after time he delayed his shot, and so instead of seeing the goalkeeper picking the ball out of the net he was picking himself of the turf. Wrexham generally found Everton’s half-backs too good for them, and I made Harry Jones the best player afield. He was in every sense dominating. Bentham and Watson were expert in their advances being justifiably confident that Cook and Greenhalgh were sound in covering. Mutch and Stevenson gave us some nice interpassing moves in which Higham often joined with success, and while Jackson was no Stan Matthews in his control and cuteness he had the ability to finish, and that is what counted. Burnett made one only one error –again due to taking his eye off the ball when coming out, but his recovery was as quick as it was complete. Chairman Mr. Tom Hughes brought along a big party from Wrexham, including Directors Messrs Herbert Pritchard, Tom Williams and Will Madeley, not forgetting Secretary manager Mr. Tom Williams one of soccer’s grandest enthusiasts and they were right when they claimed that they had put up a fine show. They had late changes affected the Wrexham team work but Waring inside-left Jones goalkeeper Jones Moore and the youngster Collins took my eye. With nursing this Collins will go places providing he does not attempt to do too much. Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins and Directors Messrs George Evans, Dickie Williams and Dick Searle were out hosts and at the game was the former Everton player, Jackie Peacock looking as well as ever, and Mr. Harry Corry up on holiday from Hampshire where residence has not damped his enthusiasm for Everton.

October 15, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will include a new “guest” player for the first time next Saturday when they visit Wrexham at The Racecourse in the return Football League game. This is Ronnie Dellow, the former Manchester City Tranmere Rovers and New Brighton outside-right. Dellow played with the City throughout last season, and has been helping them this campaign. Dellow takes over from Jackson in the attack, was Jackson once again is returned to centre-forward in place of Urmston. Joe Mercer, back from international duty, is included in the half-backs, and either Tommy Fowler or J.V Humphreys will partner Stevenson on the left wing. The defence is unchanged and Mutch and Stevenson will again be the inside forward. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Watson; Dellow, Mutch, Jackson, Stevenson, T. Fowler, J.V. Humphreys.
Everton Reserves; Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Fairfoull, McDonnell, Atkins; Wyles, Grant, Curran, Scott-Lee, Lyon. Wrexham; (from); Jones (D); Jones (JE); Lea; Jones (C.), Hill, Moore; Collins, Bremner, Waring, Jones (TW), McNeill, Lloyd, Lewis, Stuttard.

October 15, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton expect to have Mercer, back in the their side for the return game with Wrexham at the racecourse on Saturday, but Lawton will not be available. Apart from Mercer, the defence is unchanged from that which saved the points last week. In the attack however, there is a new name in Ronnie Dellow , the former Tranmere Rovers player, who last season assisted New Brighton for a long spell. He figures on the right wing with Jackson returning to centre forward. Urmston, who has played there latterly is assisting Bury against Southport. On the left flank two “A” teamers Fowler and Humphreys are named in the probables. Humphreys has already had two outings with the senior side in the half back line and played extremely well. Fowler has been doing some good work in the second string. Wrexham will be stronger for this match than they were last week as Lea returns to the full back division, enabling Moore to go among the halves, and Bremner the Scottish international is available after the Wembley visit. Jack Jones of Everton, is again included at right back, and Hill the Arsenal player, resumes at centre half. Teams will be selected from Wrexham; (from); Jones (D); Jones (JE); Lea; Jones (C.), Hill, Moore; Collins, Bremner, Waring, Jones (TW), McNeill, Lloyd, Lewis, Stuttard. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Watson; Dellow, Mutch, Jackson, Stevenson, T. Fowler, J.V. Humphreys.
County Combination
Everton “A” are home to Fazackerley and after their big win over the University look certain to big another two points at the expense of the lowly placed side. Everton Reserves; Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Fairfoull, McDonnell, Atkins; Wyles, Grant, Curran, Scott-Lee, Lyon

October 16, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
If there is not a attendance of more than 5,000 at Wrexham Racecourse tomorrow to see the return between Wrexham and Everton then one will be almost forced to the conclusion that the North Wales folk have lost their football-minderness. Here is a match which should tickle the fancy of every sports lover in the district. If there are any who contemplate staying away thinking Wrexham have no chance then they should remainder, for Wrexham had Everton defending desperately in the closing stages of last Saturday’s game at Goodison Par, which the Blues won 2-1. Believe me Wrexham are there tomorrow with a real chance. Secretary-Manager Mr. Tom Williams has arranged for the kick-off to be put back to 3.30 p.m. A fine game is assured for Everton will reproduce all their inherent skill and whatever the result those who worship at the shrine of classic football will be well satisfied. Everton go with Mercer back from international duty, and other representative players, in Cook, Greenhalgh, Mutch and Stevenson. Wrexham will have Gordon Bremner back from duty with Scotland, and while Turner will be playing for Birmingham, McNeill, a Scottish inside forward will make his Racecourse debut. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, (or Mercer), Jones (Harry), Watson, Dellow, Mutch, Jackson, Stevenson, T. Fowler, or J.V Humphreys. Wrexham; (from) Jones (D.), Jones (JE), Lea; Jones (C), Hill, Moore; Collins, Bremner, Waring, Jones (TW), McNeill, Lloyd, Lewis, Stuttard.
Three Everton “Caps”
Everton will once again provide three players for England’s team to oppose Wales at Wolverhampton tomorrow week. They are Tommy Lawton, Cliff Britton, and Joe Mercer, each of whom played against Scotland at Wembley last Saturday.

October 16, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Providing they take their chances when they come –Everton have it in them to complete the double against Wrexham at the Racecourse, but if they will scorn easy chances they may have to pay the penalty for Wrexham, who ran them so close last week, will be stronger for the return encounter. Everton have Jackson at centre forward, where he has given some good display before, and hope Mercer will be available for right half. On the left wing one of two “A” teamers, Foster and Humphreys will get a chance to partner Stevenson. Wrexham’s attack will be all the better for the return of Bremner, the Scottish international, a grand player who will add balance and striking force, while Lea, Millwall, Hill, Arsenal, and Jack Jones, Everton make the defence look a stiff proposition. Teams from;- Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, (or Mercer), Jones (Harry), Watson, Dellow, Mutch, Jackson, Stevenson, T. Fowler, or J.V Humphreys. Wrexham; (from) Jones (D.), Jones (JE), Lea; Jones (C), Hill, Moore; Collins, Bremner, Waring, Jones (TW), McNeill, Lloyd, Lewis, Stuttard.

October 17, 1942. Liverpool Echo
By Ranger
Wrexham:- Jones (D), goal; Lea (Millwall) and Jones (JE) (Everton), backs; Jones (C), Hill (Arsenal) and Moore (Grimsby), half-backs; Hughes, Bremner, Waring (New Brighton), Jones (TW) (Grimsby) and McNee (Rangers), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (H) (West Bromwich), and Watson, half-backs; Dellow (R) (Tranmere), Mutch (G) (Preston), Jackson, Stevenson and Bentham, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.A. Hartles, Runcorn. The respective defence were well on top in this return game between Everton and Wrexham at the Racecourse. Neither goalkeeper had any shot of note to deal with in the first 45 minutes. What few they had fell mainly to the lot of Burnett in the visiting goal, for Wrexham did essay a shot whenever the opening presented it, whereas Everton in an endeavoured to play clever football neglected their shooting opportunities. The best Everton attempt came from Mercer and ten minutes before the interval when he rounded off a good solo run with a shot which hit the bar. Apart from the absence of shooting the game provided some interesting football and showed up the two centre halves as determined “stoppers.” On the Everton side Mutch and Stevenson contributed some clever combination while Dellow making his debut on the right wing, came near giving Everton the lead a couple of minute before the interval with a shot which brought fourth a grand full length save from Jones (D). Half-time- No score.
Everton had a narrow escape early in the second half when a pass from McNee found the visiting defence spread-eagled, but neither Waring nor Bremner could connect with the ball, and when it went on to Hughes the latter hit the bar with a fierce drive with Burnett well beaten. McNee, who had been a star performer for Wrexham in the first half, went near with a good shot, and a few moments later Everton had another narrow squeak with the ball and McNee’s subsequent centre found the Evertonians unguarded. Jones (H.), however, came to the rescue in the nick of time. Play was still lively and interesting, with Wrexham having slightly the better of matters. Jackson got the ball into the net from a Stevenson pass, but was given offside –a rather fine decision. Prior to this there had been a nun of offside cases, chiefly concerning Wrexham, who spoiled many opportunities by their failure to keep with its bounds. Everton took the lead through a goal by Dellow from a pass from Watson after 23 minutes. Bentham scored for Everton.
Everton “A” v. Fazakerley
Everton monopolised the play, and after 10 minutes Curran netted. After 25 minutes Curran went through to head a second goal and two minutes later completed his hat-trick. Just before the interval Curran netted a fourth. Final; Everton Res 11, Fazackerley 0.

October 19, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Wrexham 0, Everton 2
Everton’s Two Goals.
By Rangers.
For the first hour of their game with Everton at the Racecourse, Wrexham had as much of the play as their opponents, but they went to pieces badly in the last thirty minutes, and Everton won fairly easily in the closing stages through goals by Dellow and Bentham. The game reproduced some neat midfield play and good defensive work, but was sadly lacking in shots throughout, and there were not more than half a dozen decent ones all afternoon. Both attacks were equally to blame in this respect, for both concentrated on the close passing game and preferred to do the work themselves rather than let the ball do it. Even when within easy striking distance they continued to finesse and dribble instead of trying a first time effort. Indeed to such an extent was this done that it was seldom either side looked like scoring though Everton did improve a little before the finish. In the first goal scored by Dellow after seventy-eight minutes all the work was done by Watson, whose final pass was a gilt-edged offering, while Bentham’s goal seven minutes later was the result of a long run and centre by Cook. After that, when Everton were well on top, they missed several easy chances of interesting their lead.
Defence Loses Grip
Wrexham lost because they failed to stay the pace, even through it was not a particularly fast one. After putting up a strong display from the first hour after their defence for its grip towards the finish, whereas Everton’s was never seriously extended, though one or two misunderstanding and a risky run out by Burnett game them a few anxious moments. The home side had a grand centre half in Hill, who was well supported by Jones (C) and Lea, but their attack on the whole was too disjoined and too finicky to command success. Bremner was below par, while McNee, a newcomer from Glasgow Rangers, though doing some good work, was weak in finishing. Everton’s defence was again the best part of the side and little fault could be found here but the forwards lacked punch to finish off their approach work, which invariably broke down through over elaboration before it had produced any work for the home’s goalkeeper. Attendance 4,428. Receipts £272. Wrexham:- Jones (D), goal; Lea (Millwall) and Jones (JE) (Everton), backs; Jones (C), Hill (Arsenal) and Moore (Grimsby), half-backs; Hughes, Bremner, Waring (New Brighton), Jones (TW) (Grimsby) and McNee (Rangers), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (H) (West Bromwich), and Watson, half-backs; Dellow (R) (Tranmere), Mutch (G) (Preston), Jackson, Stevenson and Bentham, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.A. Hartles, Runcorn.
• Liverpool beat Manchester United 2-1, Liddell, and Done and Carey for Manchester United

October 19, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Though Everton won fairly comfortably in the long run against Wrexham, it was only in the last half hour they managed to get in front. Up to this there had been very little between the sides. If anything, Wrexham had been slightly the more dangerous in front of goal, so far as any side which is reluctant to shoot can be dangerous. Both sets of forwards preferred close passing in the penalty area to first-time shooting, so that neither goalkeeper had much to do. There were not more than six decent shots all afternoon. Once again Everton had to thank their defence for the points and this time for the goals as well, for both were initiated by defenders, Watson did the work which enabled Dellow to score just after the hour, while it was full back Cook’s wing spirit and centre which brought the second, through Bentham. Everton’s attack was not impressive, though Mutch and Stevenson contributed some entertaining combination to liven things up at times, it was the old fault again, too much passing and no punch. Wrexham was little better and the defence on both sides took all the honours. Both sets of halves were excellent with Hill and Harry Jones shinning at centre half, and the rear defences were sound even if Burnett did indulged in is weekly risky run-out which neatly led to a gift goal. McNee of Glasgow Rangers, making his debut for the home side showed some good football, but kept in the fashion by finishing vastly. The attendance (4,428 and £272) was the best at the Racecourse this season. T.G. Jones among the spectators tells me it is doubtful whether he will be fit for the England-Wales game.

October 19, 1942, The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have certainly staged a complete recovery from their rather uncertain start to the campaign, and by beating Wrexham by two clear goals at the Racecourse not only recorded their fourth successive victory but brought off their second “doubt” of the season. This is grand going and proves that Everton have the will and ability to overcome rather serious drags on their playing resources for representative games. Few clubs are harder hit the Everton in this respect and yet Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly contrives to strike winning combination. It was not until the second half that the Blues managed to master a go-ahead Wrexham after the Everton defence had been outstanding and then Ronnie Dellow celebrated his debut with the Blues by scoring Stan Bentham in the strange role of outside left, go the second goal to give Everton the point in a fine game, which Wrexham were unlucky to lose. Everton will be without Mercer and Lawton again next Saturday, but definitely they have settled down into a side which will soon be issuing a serious challenge to the leaders.

October 22, 1942. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will have two first team debutants, for their football league match with Bury at Goodison Park on Saturday –one a player with League experience, and the other a junior from their reserves. Curran, the former Bristol Rovers and Bristol City centre-forward is given the task of leading the attack at deputy for Tom Lawton after having had only one game with the reserves. But...what a game Curran played for the County Combination team against Fazackerley, last Saturday and got seven of the Blues 11 goals. Curiously enough Curran applied for games with Everton having come to Merseyside to work. In the last pre-war season he got no fewer than 21 goals, and obviously should prove an asset to the Blues, who have to carry on week after week without Lawton. The only debutant will be Tommy Fowler, the 17 year-old Prescot boy who was recommended to Everton by Jackie Lyon. Fowler is an outside-left of rare possibilities and was among the probables who went to Burnley recently, but his services were not called on. Fowler will be certain of the best of support for he will have as his partner Alex Stevenson, and Gordon Watson will be at left-half to prompt him. Jackson once again goes to outside-right and Stan Bentham will be at right-half again, as Mercer will be helping England. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson, T. Fowler.
Everton Res; (v. Carlton);- Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Humphreys, McDonnell, Fairfoull; Johnson (A.), Dunn, Grant, Wyles, Lee (or Lyon).
In their last two home games Everton have had the assistance of Urmston, the Bury leader, but on Saturday they will have Urmston against them. Urmston is now a policeman on Merseyside. Bury (from); Smith; Griffiths (G), Griffths (W); Gemmill, Hart, Mattewson, A.N. Other, Potts, Davies, Urmston, Dougal, Carter.
Test for Everton
Everton have been finding the going in the Liverpool county Combination pretty easy last two weeks. Well, they have collected 22 goals in two games –scores which must be rather discouraging to some of the teams. The Blues will be up against something much sterner this week, however, for they are due to visit Carlton at Helsby road. These teams first met three weeks ago when Carlton ran the Blues to the odd goal in five at Goodison Park. Now Carlton will be strengthened by the return of Dalley and Coppack to the attack and George Straton in goal.

October 22, 1942. Liverpool Echo
Curran, of Bristol, To Lead Attack
Ranger’s Note
These are the days of almost unlimited opportunity for young footballers, who can jump into the limelight from comparative obscurity in double-quick time. During the past couple of seasons
Everton have had many examples of unknown players taking one leap from junior sides into the ranks of the finest sides in the country. They don’t all make the grade and some fade out almost as –Liverpool provide a notable example –they have definitely come to stay. For their home matches with Bury, on Saturday Everton will introduce two “debutants” One of them is a 17-years-old “A” teamer named Fowler, a native of Prescot who has been putting up some consistent displays in the second string this season. Though Fowler has been mentioned twice previously as a probable without playing this time he is definite in the side. The other newcomer is Curran, formerly of Bristol Rovers, who has had considerable League experience and in the last pre-war season scored 21 goals in 27 games for the Rovers in the Southern Section of the Third Division. Curran who recently name to work in this area, offered his services to Everton, and was given a trial run in the “A” team last week, when he scored seven goals. With the centre forward position still position still presenting anxiety when Lawton is unavailable. Mr. Theo Kelly made no bones about giving Curran his chance in a higher sphere, and if he fills the ball all right he will relieve the club of one of the biggest problems which many experience in the past eighteen months have failed to solve satisfactory. Curran’s inclusion leaves the way open for Jackson to return to right wing where he has done well this season. The defence is unchanged from last week. Urmston, the Merseyside policeman who has assisted Everton at times lately will play against them in this game, when he leads the attack for his own team. Teams; Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Jackson, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson, T. Fowler. Bury (from); Smith; Griffiths (G), Griffths (W); Gemmill, Hart, Mattewson, A.N. Other, Potts, Davies, Urmston, Dougal, Carter.
Everton Res; (v. Carlton);- Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Humphreys, McDonnell, Fairfoull; Johnson (A.), Dunn, Grant, Wyles, Lee (or Lyon).

October 24, 1942. The Evening Express
Curran Scores Three
Pilot’s Log
Dellow, the former Manchester City, and Tranmere forward, made his home debut for Everton, when they entertained Bury at Goodison Park today. Everton had generously loaned Jackson to Liverpool. Curran and Fowler were other Everton debutants. Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry) (West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Dellow (Tranmere), Mutch (Preston), Curran (Bristol Rovers), Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Bury; Smith, goal; Grififths (G.) and Gemmill, backs; Griffths (W), Mattheson and Hart, half-backs; Potts, Davies, Urmston, Burdett and Carver, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines). Bury were the first to show their paces, but they were unable to get within striking distance of Burnett, and the opening shot came per a first-timer from Stevenson, which passed over. The seventeen-year-old Fowler twice gave Griffths (G.) the go-by, and then participated in some excellent combined work with Stevenson. Curran just failed to connect with one Fowler centre before Dellow shot against the side netting. The game was held up a moment while Smith, the Bury goalkeeper, changed from a blue to a green jersey to obviate confusion with the Everton players. Burnett saw a Davies shot flash across the face of the goal, before Potts in and shot, but Burnett was perfectly positioned. After more good work by Fowler, Griffiths (W), almost back-heeled Watson’s shot into his own net, Smith diving to save. Stevenson and Fowler contributed the most brilliant movement of the game so far, but unfortunately Fowler did not take the first time shot and Bury escape.
Everton’s Grip.
There was no doubt that Fowler was making a success of his first senior appearance, and he was unfortunate when a quick shot passed just beyond the far post. Everton had taken a grip on the game and forced three corners in succession without being able to find the net. Burnett failed to gather a simple low centre from Potts and in trying to dribble Urmston outside the goal area lost possession. Bury were quick to take their opportunity but luckily for Everton, Greenhalgh had dropped back to the goalline and dired to head away Davies quick shot. Everton took the lead in 26 minutes through Curran. Fowler had been held up a yard from goal, but first Stevenson and then Mutch gathered the clearance kicks, and a perfect through pass by Mutch opened up the goal way for Curran who went on and placed the wide of Smith into the net. Three minutes later Curran made it two for the Blues with a magnificent effort which thrilled the 6,000 spectators. The movement went from Mutch to Dellow via Cook and Bentham and when Smith came out to intercept Dellow’s centre Curran adroitly hooked the ball over Smith, hit it first time as it dropped direct to the corner of the net. This was opportunism plus, Everton were right on top, Stevenson having one shot charged down before he crashed a terrific shot against the bar, Mutch and Curran immediately followed with shots which were charged down, and Smith injured his hand in the goalmouth scramble. He was able to resume.
Arrears Reduced.
In 37 minutes Bury reduced the lead though Potts, who partipated in a quick positional chance with Davies and was right on the spot to turn home Davies centre. Two minutes from the interval Fowler took over a brilliant pass by Bentham and cut in to score. Everton’s third goal, the ball going in off Smith’s foot as the goalkeeper tried to kick away the shot.
Half-time; Everton 3, Bury 1
Smith and damaged a finer and was unable to resumed in goal, for Bury, going outside left while Gemmill went in goal. Gemmill made some sensational saves in true goalkeeper style as Everton sprang to attack. One save from Bentham was sensational. However, he was powerless to stop the Blues goal-tide, Curran driving home a fourth goal in 50 minutes, before Fowler forced a corner from which Cook enterprisingly following up, placed into the net for a fifth which was and five minutes later Dellow nipped through to score at close range. The handicapped Bury were kept defending desperately but Potts broke through. Burnett turning his centre over the bar as he was swept into the net. Everton were soon at it again. Dellow hitting home a first-timer to make it 7-1 and then Curran had a goal disallowed for offside. In 70 minutes Bentham increased Everton’s total to eight, for although Gemmill finely beat away his first shot, Bentham followed up and made no mistake. This was too one-sided to be a duel, but Everton’s accuracy in approach was always a delight. Gemmill saved well from Mutch and Dellow as Everton’s pressure continued unabated. Suddenly Bury broke away with 10 minutes to go and Davies went through to reduced the lead. Bentham scored Everton’s ninth with a magnificent shot.
Final; Everton 9, Bury 2

October 24, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry) (West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Dellow (Tranmere), Mutch (Preston), Curran (Bristol Rovers), Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Bury; Smith, goal; Grififths (G.) and Gemmill, backs; Griffths (W), Mattheson and Hart, half-backs; Potts, Davies, Urmston, Burdett and Carver, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines). The “find” of the match, from Everton’s point of view, in the first half-hour, was young Fowler, on the wing. He not only drovetailed perfectly with Stevenson, but had his own direct ideas about shooting. He was unlucky when close in, after some perfect combination he was crowded out by G. Griffiths. Twice he forced corners, and it was only the work of the tall Bury backs that kept the goal intact. Bury came near to opening the score when Burnett fumbled a loose ball. Every Bury forward tried to get it into the net. Greenhalgh headed off the line, Cook blocked it out, and finally Stevenson came to the rescue. Everton took the lead through Curran after 25 minutes when Mutch tricked the defence and gave the centre a perfect chance to beat Smith from close in. Curran came into the picture again by scoring his second goal from Bentham’s pass. Potts scored for Bury at 58th minute, Mathewson and Griffiths (W.) could make little of Stevenson and Mutch and Fowler had a day out with perfect passes. He responded well, and at the 40th minutes score, his shot being deflected into the net by Smith, who had hurt his hand in a previous scrimmage.
Half-time Everton 3, Bury 1.
Smith did not appear after the interval, Gemmill took his place in goal, and made three excellent saves from Mutch, Curran and Dellow. Curran scored at the fiftieth minute and Mutch scored Everton’s at the fifty-fourth. Dellow who was the outstanding man of the Everton forward line this half, made the score 6-1. Dellow scored Everton’s seventh and Bentham made it eight. Davies scored a second for Bury and Bentham got a ninth for Everton. Final; Everton 9, Bury 2.

October 26, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 9, Bury 2
Bury Overwhelmed by Everton
The opposition provided by Bury at Goodison Park on Saturday did not provide real test for Everton’s new centre-forward. Curran of Bristol and their local right winger, T. Fowler, and therefore their share in the home team’s 9-2 victory is apt to be exaggerated. True, both players gave a sparkling display, but so also did the other forwards, ably assisted by half-backs Bentham, and it should not be forgotten that it was not until Bury’s defence had been upset by an injury to their goalkeeper that the real goal rush started, It was obvious, however, in the opening stages that both Curran and Fowler had excellent ideas of combination and were always ready to shoot. Fowler blended with Stevenson in the manner of a veteran, while Curran was not a slave to the centre position and shot first time from all angles in true Lawtonian style. Another success was Tranmere’s Dellow appearing vice Jackson (loaned to Liverpool) on the right, and always ready to nip in and have a shot. Every forward scored except Stevenson and he, as usual, was general provider nursing Fowler with perfect passes and tricking the defence with a flick of his foot.
Wingers’ Day Out
Bury gave a good first half display, with Potts and Davies their star performers in the forward line, and their tall defenders, Gemmill –Griffiths (G. And W.) and Matthewson breaking up many Everton moves, until Mutch and Stevenson got their measure, and keeping the ball on the ground gave their wingers a day out, Smith, the Bury goalkeeper, had his hand trodden on in the first half, and his place in the second stage was taken by Gemmill, who started off with some good saves, but had little chance with the others. After taking a substantial lead Everton indulged in some of that pretty-pretty play which has proved their undoing on many occasions, and during this spell Davies ran through to score one of the best goals of the day. Here is the day’s score sheet; -Curran (25 minutes), Curran (28), Potts (35), Fowler (40), Curran (50), Mutch (54), Dellow (61), Dellow (63), Bentham (79), Davies (80), and Bentham (86) Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry) (West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Dellow (Tranmere), Mutch (Preston), Curran (Bristol Rovers), Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Bury; Smith, goal; Grififths (G.) and Gemmill, backs; Griffths (W), Mattheson and Hart, half-backs; Potts, Davies, Urmston, Burdett and Carver, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines).
• Liverpool Beat Manchester City 4-1, Done (2), Mills, Balmer and Currier for City
• Wales beat England at Wolverhampton 2-1, Mercer, Britton and Mercer played for England and TG Jones for Wales, Lawton scored England’s goal.

October 26, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Bury, knows as the Shakers, were given a real shaking up at Goodison Park by Everton who won at they pleased, and could have easily goes well into double figure in the goal-taking. Still, it was the goal-making which delighted in a one-sided affair in which Bury suffered a stroke of ill-luck from which there was no recovery. Everton were leading 2-1 when Smith, the Bury goalkeeper, broke a finger. After trying to keep goal with his feet up to the interval, Smith went to outside-left Gemmill going into goal and giving indications that he knew his business. Gemmill’s gallantry could not, however, hold the brilliant Everton attack, and even full back, Willie Cook and half-back Stan Bentham joined in the goals revel. Scoring became automatic but there was always pleasure to be derived from the cuteness of Everton’s approach and combined skill. This is more than emphasised by the fact that two schemers-in-chief. George Mutch and Alex Stevenson did not get a goal between them. They were content to exploit their colleagues and carve out the goal-paths. In addition to Cook and Bentham (2), Curran (3), Dellow (2), and Fowler also scored. Most gratifying feature was the work of the two newcomers Curran, the Bristol centre-forward, and Tommy Fowler, the 17 year-old Prescot both at outside-left. And with Ronnie Dellow so effective at outside right it came as a refreshing treat to find Everton with specialists on the wings. Curran scored three good goals –his second a smasher –and proved himself a responsive leader who was always dead in position and alert, while Fowler showed he has had the heart of a lion, good control at top pace, such ideas and a deadly left foot. What I like about Fowler is his penchant for always taking the short cut to goal. No corner flag route for Fowler, believe me. And you will be pleased to know that Fowler has size about him.

October 26, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Note
At first glance, Saturday’s result would seem to suggest that Everton’s forward difficulties are over if they can field a line that can score nine goals with four internationals playing for their countries, but the 9-2 victory against Bury should not be taken as complete evidence that Curran (of Bristol) and T. Fowler (of Prescot) are the answer to Mr. Theo Kelly’s problem. They were on Saturday and any centre forward who scores three goals on his first appearance for a new club is, as Damon Runyan would say “more than somewhat.” Young Fowler too, proved to be Stevenson’s best partner since the heydays of the Boyes-Stevenson wing, while Dellow (of Tranmere) also filled another aching void which has troubled the Blues for some time –a winger who would come in and have a shot and not remain tied to the touch line and centring, indeed all three new men blended so well that one is apt to forget the work of the old firm –Stevenson and Mutch. With three enthusiastic shooters, in the forward line these two old-hands were enabled to draw the defence in their own inimitable style and thus present perfect passes, which simply shouted for conversion. Bentham was often a sixth forward, and his centre and shots were like those of Britton in the Cup year. When all this is said, it should be remembered that Bury were at a big disadvantage after Gemmill went into goal, vice Smith (Injured) and therefore it will be well to wait for a sterner test before-passing final judgement although one feels that, as the song says. “There’s a good time coming” Bury were hardly seven goals poorer than Everton and for the first half hour or so there was a district chance of them making a good game of it.

October 27, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Jimmy Dunn, 18 years-old son of the former Everton and Scottish international forward, has been signed on professional forms by Major Buckley, Wolverhampton’s manager. Jimmy junior has been playing inside right for St. Teresa’s in the Liverpool County Combination for the past three season, and from all accounts is a worthy follower in his father’s footsteps.

October 28, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Joe Mercer, the England half-backs, returns to Everton’s team on Saturday when the Blues visit to Gigg-lane to oppose Bury in the return Football league game. Joe has not played for the Blues since they won at Burnley, but now joins the eleven players who defeated Bury 9-2 last Saturday. Final half back choice will be made later. I had a word with international Tommy Jones,s back from the Welsh triumph over England, and he says he is available for Everton this week. I have passed on this message to Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, so something may be done. Curran and Tommy Fowler, who did so well last Saturday on the first team baptism, retains their places and, with Dellow available for outside right, no doubt Everton will once against loan George Jackson to Liverpool. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Bentham, Jones (Harry), Watson; Dellow, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson, T. Fowler.

October 29, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton Reserves are enjoying a grand run in the County Combination, and in winning their last three games, having scored no fewer than 27 goals without reply. On Saturday they will be up against their bogey team, Marine, at Goodison Park. Last season Marine beat the Blues three times out of four meetings and twice at Goodison. Marine team; (from) Foster; Hannah, Welsby; Hankin, Dacher, Shaw; Bullock (G), Clough (R), Newby, Barron, Thelwell, Ireland. Everton; Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Cassidy, Humphreys, Fairfoull; Wyles, Grant, Boland, Lee, Jones.

October 30, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have a fine opportunity of recording their third successive away victory when they visit Bury at Gigg Lane tomorrow. Bury have not impressed me on either of the occasions I have seen than this season, and right now they are worried about a goalkeeper. Smith broke a finger at Goodison Park last Saturday and so far Secretary Mr. Arthur Payne has not found a deputy. Everton are wisely preserving with their two discoveries, Curran, of Bristol Rovers, who has scored ten goals in two games in the Everton colours, and Tommy Fowler, the 17-year-old lad from Prescot. They are players of whom I expect big things with the aid of the astute Stevenson and Mutch. It is just possible that Joe Mercer will return to the Blues side, which will be chosen from a dozen players but if not last Saturday’s nine goals winners will do duty. Providing there is no slackening off in defence as we saw last week. Everton should win well to record their sixth won on the run and their third “double.” Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer (or Bentham), Jones (Harry), Watson; Dellow, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson, Tommy Fowler.
Everton Reserves (v Marine); Birkett; Ireland, Curwen; Cassidy, Humphreys, Fairfoull; Wyles, Grant, Boland, Scott-Lee, Jones.

October 30, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will probably field the same side in their return with Bury at Gigg Lane as that which registered the biggest victory of the season last week. Mercer, included as a probable is very doubtful. The Blues, recent run of victories has sent them steadily upwards in the table, and there are indications that the weaknesses of the earlier part of the season are on the way to being mended. Everton’s test will come when they meet sterner opposition, but if Curran fills the bill at centre forward one of their biggest problems will have been solved. They should win at Gigg Lane.
Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer (or Bentham), Jones (Harry), Watson; Dellow, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson, Tommy Fowler. Bury (from); A.N. Other; Hart, Griffiths (G); Gemmill, Griffiths (W), Jones, Matthewson, Halton, Potts, Burdett, Davies, Dougal, Carter.

October 31, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, McDonnell, and Watson, half-backs; Dellow, Mutch, Curran, Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Bury;- G.K. Whitehead, goal; Hart and Gemmill, backs; Griffiths (W), Matthewson, and Halton, half-backs; Potts, Jones, Davies, Dougal, and Carter, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley. Bury started off on a bright note and gave the Everton defence some work to do, whereas the Everton forwards had rarely troubled the Bury defence. Bury, playing much better than a week ago, at 4 minutes were awarded a penalty when Watson went in to tackle Potts. I didn’t see anything wrong with his tackle, but the referee was right on the spot and had no hesitation. Davies scored from the kick, although Burnett did touch the ball on its flight. So far it has been all Bury, and they should skill and pace, and the Everton goal had another escape when Potts shot from close range and Burnett was only able to tap the ball away. That was sufficient, however. Once Burnett running out to kick clear kicked round the ball; but the Bury forwards were not able to take advantage of it. They showed their keeniness when Potts put in a shot which just missed the upright. Stevenson made one header to give Whitehead his first opportunity to show his worth. The Irishman next headed over the bar. Davies was injured and had to leave the field. Nevertheless the Bury right wing, which had now changed. Potts going inside, was a thorn in the side of the Everton defence. Just on the interval Whitehead made a magnificent save from Mutch.
Half-time; Bury 1, Everton 0
Bury added two goals in seven minutes the first by Potts and this second by Davies, both due to hesitation on the part of the Everton defence. At 73 minutes Bury made their scored four through a goal by Halton. Everton had never been seen as an attacking force. Final; Bury 4, Everton 1.

By Perseus
Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 31 October 1942
Only the other day I heard from a Blackburn friend that Jack Southworth, the famous old Rovers centre forward of a half a century ago, is still living in the vincinity of the town at Pleasington, and in good health.  Whenever old-time footballers get takingf of the stirring days of the late eighties and early nineties, the name of "Skimmy" Southworth, as he was familiarly known by reason of his fluent "Skimming" style invariably creeps in as the ideal type of centre forward.  He succeeded the equally famous Jimmy Brown but unfortunately his association with the Rovers was broken after the season of 1892-93 by reason of a dispute over wages I seem to remember -and he followed Edgar Chadwick to Everton, with whom he finished his playing career.  That always seemed to me to be a pity, for he was the idol of the Blackburn crowd, and if memory serves it was his omission and that of other cup-winning Rovers from the 1891 England side against Scotland at Ewood Park that led to the historic public boycott of the match.  He was and still is I understand a professional violinist, and in the two capacities he has been a distinguished performer over a very long period. 







October 1942