Everton Independent Research Data


Ruddy McDonald and Jack Lee

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 01 July 1902

The followers of the Tranmere Rovers Football Club will miss two of their favourities from their team next season. Ruddy McDonald, the smart outside right, and Jack Lee the left back have caugh the eye of the Everton directorate, and will be seen at Goodison Park next season. The Everton Football Club are desirious of securing promising local players, and a number of good juniors will receive trials during August.


Gray of Everton

Dundee Evening Post-Wednesday 9 July 1902

Patrick Thistle have just signed Gray, of Everton. He was certainly "Booked" for the Meadowside team a short time ago, but it was only on Saturday that the form was signed. The Thistle mean to make a good show in the first Division next season.

H. Singleton

Lincolnshire Echo - Friday 11 July 1902

Grimsby Town Football Club are leaving no stone unturned to secure good outside left for next reason, and they have already signed two players who have filled the position with credit to themselves and the clubs with which they have been engaged. The first of these H. Singleton, of Everton, who signed last Friday. He played last season with Everton Reserve, but figured several occasions in the first team. He is 5ft. 9 inches in height, and weights 11st


Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Saturday 19 July 1902

Grimsby Town F.C, have signed on Peter Paterson, a well-known forward, who hailling from the vicinity of Glasgow, played last season for Everton.


July 22, 1902. Lincolnshire Chronicle

Still another forward has been secured by Grimsby in the person of Peter Paterson, who last year played for Everton.


Nottingham Evening Post - Friday 25 July 1902

Negotiations, have been pending for the past two or three weeks for the transfer of Bert Sharp from Everton to Bristol City, have been broken off. Sharp, who at present fulfilling a cricketing engagement at Leyland, played full-back last season for Everton, and a brother of Jack Sharp, the Lancashire cricketer and Everton's right wing player. He was placed on the transfer list at the end of last season, and on being approached by Bristol, the Liverpool club asked £100 for his transfer, afterwards reducing it to £75. The southern club, however, would only give £50, and Everton refused to "come these terms" Bristol have this week signed another back place of Sharp.



August 8 1902. The Liverpool Courier

All the Everton players have arrived, and now training for the new season. The first practice match at Goodiosn Park, will take place on Saturday the 23st inst; kick off at four o'clock. Another practice game being arranged for the following Thursday the 28 th inst.; when a commencement will be made at 5-45p.m.


August 15, 1902. Nottingham Evening Post

The negotiations between Leicester Fosse and J. M. Lofthouse having proved unsuccessful, Alick Stewart has been appointed trainer to the Fosse, Stewart is an old footballer, having played for Everton, Notts, Burnley, and Northampton, and he should prove a very good man for the club.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 23 August 1902

Everton finished second in the League last season, so that they can only one better this. In the Clip competition they were knocked out first round; hero there is more scope for improvement. Unfortunately during the off season they have been hard hit. Secretary Cuff and trainer Elliott being suspended till October for “poaching.” The temporary ft Mr. Horace Wright and Wilfred Toman temporary trainer. Of the old players the following have migrated :—Eccles and Blythe to West Ham ; “Weary”. Watson and Brown to Tottenham; and Muir and Dicky Boyle, to Dundee. Bert Sharp is not fixed up yet. The complete stud number 26 players, which is none too large for a League and a Reserve team, and two full programmes. The League team will be as follows: —Goal Kitchen; backs. Henderson and W. Balmer; halves, Wolstenholme, Booth, (captain), and Abbott; forwards. Sharp, Brearley, Young. Settle, and Bell. Of the new men, Brearley comes from Middlesborough, the new Leagnista, and played for Everton on May lat against Glasgow Rangers; Henderson hails from Linlithgow. 'The other players available reserves and second /earn, men are C. E. Wilson, goal, a University man; Bowman. R. Balmer. Clarke. Clayton, T. C. Chadwick, Dilly. Monks, Makepeace. Toman. Whiteley, Crelly, Taylor, Sheridan, and Rankin. None of these are last season's players.


August 25 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Brilliant weather was seen at the practice match at Goodison Park, when teams representing the defence of the League and the Combination were pitted against each other. The teams were so constituted that the League defence was against the League attack, and the Combination attacked was against their own defence. The eagerness with which the football season is being anticipated was demonstrated by the fact that there were no fewer than 15,000 people present, and the greatest interest was centred in the game, the manner in which the new players acquitted themselves. Of course the subject of criticism amongst the crowd, Sharp would have taker part in the game but the Everton committee had obligated the Lancashire Cricket executive.

The following were the teams. Blues: - Whitley, goal Balmer (w) and Balmer (r) backs Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Rankin Monks Bowman, Sheridan and Dilly forwards. Whites: - Joyce goal Crelly, and Henderson (w), backs Clayton, Clarke and Chadwick (t), half-backs Taylor, Brearsley, Young Settle, and Bell forwards. Referee J.F.Langford .

The Whites started at four o'clock and after brief visit to the opposite end-the Blues forwards came along and made a sharp attack, Joyce having to fist out on more than one occasion. The White returned to the attack, and Wolstenholme was injured, and had to leave the field, Makepeace having to fill his place. Whitley had next a handful, Chadwick and Clark, both sending in shots, and the custodian only saved by clever tactics, once just dropping on the ball as it was about to pass though. The pressure on the Blues stronghold was maintained for some time, and once, from a lighting shot from settle Whitley saved in grand style, sending the ball to the centre of the field. Monks, the Ex-Bury man the inside right for the Blues showed good play, good work by the White left wing, resulted in Whitley again having to handle, and the manner in which he cleared, won him hearty applause. The Blues now pressed and gained a good position in front of goal and from a penalty, Abbott scored, Joyce having no chance with the shot. Almost immediately they again took up the attack and both the upright and crossbar were hit with shots. Halt time Blues 1; Whites nil.

On changing end, the Whites were not long in drawing level, Brearsley doing the trick. Play alternated a good deal between the ends, the Reserves forwards who were well supported by the defence perhaps showing up the best advantage. Bowman was responsible for two other goals, for the Blues and Abbott for another this side winning by no means an uninteresting game by four goals to one. The Blues forwards, the Reserves men passed well, and were oftened on the ball than the opposing quintette. Whitley especially impressed everybody with his smart goalkeeping, and allowing one shot to pass him, Yoyce also preformed well.


Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 26 August 1902

At Liverpool on Saturday Everton had a practice match before 10,000 people. The teams were " Blues " v. " Whites' the former including the League defence and the latter the attack. Fast and interesting play was witnessed, Abbot scoring from a penalty. Wolstenholme fell and was carried off the field. After the interval Brearley equalised. The " Blues'" forwards played capital football, and Bowman scored a second, Abbott adding third from a penalty. Dilly, Whiteley, Brearley, Dudley, Sheridan, and Monks of the newcomers created a favourable impression.


August 30 1902. The Liverpool Football Club


Kitchen ; Born 1876, Height 6ft; weight 13st 10lb, came from Stockport. Played regularly 1901-02 after Muir was dropped.

Jack Whitley . The Villa Reserves goalie, for two seasons. Rarely found a League opportunity. Formerly of Darwin.

CE.Wilson . An Old Cathusian amateur, who will assist when his services are call upon.



Walter Balmer , height 5ft 8and half in, weight, 12st 8lbs, born in Liverpool 1877. Played for Aintree Church, taken Inter-League honours.

William Henderson, Height 5ft 8in, weight 13st 9lb, born at Broxburn 1878. Played for Broxburn Athletic, Everton, Reading, Southampton. Now returns to Goodison Park.

J.Crelly, has been several seasons at Goodison-road, but rearely figures in the team.



Tom Booth , height 5ft 10in, weights 12st 2lb, born Hooley Hill, age 26, capped against Wales 1896. Played for Blackburn Rovers, Aston North End, joined Everton in 1900.

Walter Abbott , Height 5ft 9 and half in, weights 13st 11lb, Born at Birmingham 1876. Played for Roseward Victoria, Small Heath, joined Everton in 1899.

Sam Wolstenholme , Height 5ft 9 and half in, weights 12st, born at Little Lever 1878. Previous clubs, Farnworth Alliance, and Horwich.

Charlie Clark , secured from Hamilton Acedemicals two years ago. Made few League appearances last season.

T Chadwick , Height 5ft 7 and half in, weights 10 st 8ibs, born in Blackburn 1881, Edgar's young brother. Played for Rising sun, and St George Mission.



Jack Sharp , Height 5ft 6 and half in, weights 11 st 9lbs, age 22. Born at Hereford, played for Hereford Thistle, and Aston Villa.

Jack Taylor , Height 5ft 10in, weights 11 st 8lb, born at Dumbarton 1870. Played for Dumbarton and St Mirren, joined Everton 1895.

John Brearley , Height 5ft 6in, weight 10st 8lb, born in Liverpool 1876. Played for Notts County, Kettering Chatham, Millwall, Notts County again, and Middlesbrough, first season at Goodison Park.

Alex Young , Everton's best “find”last seasons. A smart Young pivot, who has played for St.Mirren, and Falkirk.

William Toman , Height, 5ft 10ins, weights 11 st 11lb, aged 25. Born at Bishop Auckland, played for Aberdeen, Strothers, Victoria United, Dundee, Burnley, Everton, and Southampton, fractured a leg in September 1901.

Jack Bell , Height 5ft 10 and half ins, weights 12st 7lb, born at Dumbarton 1870, capped against England 1892, 1896, 1897, 1898. 1899 and 1900 against Wales 1899, Ireland 1890, and 1899

J Sherdian . A smart young winger of promise from Cambuslang, his first season at Goodison-road.

T Dilly , comes from Abroath, with a good local reputation as outside right. First season in English service. .

Adam Bowman, joined Everton late in 1901-02, and made a fair League debut against Small Heath

Albert Monks , Height 5ft 6ins, weighs 11 st 7lb, age 24. Played for Glossop, Stalybridge Rovers, and Bury, first season with Everton.

Reserves , Robert Balmer, back, Harry Makepeace half-back, and Clayton half-back.




September 1 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

It must be admitted that the directors have brought together a capital array of talented players from which to select their League team. Particularly is this the case with respect to the forward line, where two really capable quintets might be put on the field, from the men at their disposal. The forward line as chosen to represent the club at West Bromwich to-day, is a splendid Combination but the most satisfactory part of the affair is that there is an excellent substitute for each position in the ranks, should the occasion require. It will be a great surprise if Everton prove weak in attack, with such reserve force as, Bowman, Dilly, Sherdian, Rankin, and Monks to fall back upon.

At half-back the recurrence of Wolstenholme's complaint is to be deplored, but the relapse may prove only a temporary one, his defection lets in Taylor, and with Booth and Abbott in their usual trim, this branch of the team is sound enough, for the reserves include Clarke (Centre), Chadwick (Blackburn), and Clayton (Ormskirk). Further behind, Balmer, Henderson, Crelly, and Lee, the latter is promising recruit from Tranmere Rovers, are the back bone of the defence, and to-day against the West Bromwich Albion, the selected are Balmer and Lee, the Cestrian getting his place thanks to a capital performance in the trial match on Thursday evening. Kitchen and Whitley are a couple of splendid custodain's and in the case of emergency, the director's have signed a youth-Joyce who shapes exceedingly well. The League team will be on view on the 13 th at Goodison Park, when Newcastle United will form the opposition.


London Daily News - Tuesday 02 September 1902

West Bromwich opened their season on their own ground yesterday, having Everton as their opponents and the game attracted about 15,000 spectators The Albion opened with making several smart attacks. Lee shot over the bar and later put the ball through, but the point was disallowed for a previous foul. At length McLean beat the Everton goalkeeper, and Simmons headed through second point. At half-time Weal Bromwich Album were leading two goals to none. After changing ends a penalty kick was given against Palmer, but the Everton goalkeeper was equal the occasion. For a while the Albion were the smarter their movements, but eventually Everton made strong attack, and Young scoring in easy fashion. That being the only score in the second half. West Bromwich Albion won a good game by two goals to one.



Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 02 September 1902

Played at West Bromwich last evening before 11,000 spectators. The Albion played with characteristic from the commencement, and outplayed Everton in all departments. It was not until an hour had elapsed before their efforts were rewarded, however, when Mclean scored a goal. ten minutes later Simmonds added another as the result of a fine combined effort. Interval score;- Albion 2 goals, Everton none. In the second Half Everton showed grealy improved form, and notwithstanding the fine defence of the home back, Young succeeded in reducing the margin. From this point both teams strove desperately, Everton especially working hard for the equalising point. The Albion, however, more than held their own, and came near scoring again, but failed to do so. result; West Bromwich Albion 2 goals, Everton 1 goal.


Leeds Mercury - Tuesday 02 September 1902

At West Bromwich, before 15,000 spectators. The Albion kicked towards Birmingham-road in the first half, and opened with several smart attacks, Lee putting the ball just over the bar. A couple of comers to the home side were neutralised, and Lee got through, but was disallowed for a previous foul. McLean at length scored, and Simmons headed' in the second, a beauty. Half-time; Albion two goals, to Everton none. resuming a penalty was given against Balmor, but the custodian saved hia charge. Play was exciting and somewhat even for the next quarter of an hour, the Albion being sharper their movements than their opponents. Everton's persistency, however, length told, and Young registered their first point in a somewhat fashion. Play then became much more even and very spirited- Result: Albion two goals, to Everton one goal.


September 2, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

Two penalties missed during the second half.

Everton opened their League programme yesterday, when they encountered West Bromwich away from home. Success, however did not attend them in this, their initial effort and their defeat by the Throstles by two goals to one is somewhat disappointing to their numerous supporters. Lee, the ex-Tranmere Rovers man, was tried for the first time in first class football, partnering Balmer whilst Taylor took the place of Wolstenholme, who had sufficiently recovered. Great interest was centred in the match, and there was an attendance of something like 15,000 at the Hawthornes when the game stated at half-past five. The Albion supporters were naturally anxious to see how the team, which successfully fought its way back to the First Division, would fare in first-class company. The Albion directors were able to place on the field the same eleven that brought last season to a successful finish. The teams were: -

Everton: - Kitchen goal, Balmer and Lee, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp Brearley, Young Settle, and Bell forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Webb, goal, Kifford, and Adams, backs Nurse, Stevenson and Hadley half-backs McLean. Simmons Lee Worton, and Dorsett, forwards . Everton kicked off, and soon Dorsett was busy on the left. He and Worton ran down, but were stopped by Balmer, who put in a good return. The pressure on the Everton goal for the next five minutes was fairly severe, and once Lee, the Albion centre, had a shy, but without success. A corner against the visitors was successful dealt with, after which the home forwards, in spite of some good work by the Everton backs, got close up, and the position for a time looked dangerous for the Toffeeities. Lee shot in at short range, but the ball caught Balmer foot and went over the line. The Everton forwards now broke away, and Settle shot right across, the ball going in the direction of Adams, the left full back. Everton were penalised for a foul in the Albion half but Kifford kicked strongly into the Everton half, improving the situation greatly for the home team. Lee the home centre, got possession, and made a grand attempt to score, but he was adjusted offside, after which Kitchen was called upon to handle from a splendid shot by Simmons. The Throstles up to now were showing infinitely better form than their opponents, and were having more of the play as well as more than their share of ill-luck. The venue was suddenly changed through the instrumentality of Bell and Settle, and Brearley sent in a shot, which Webb safely piloted away. Dorsett, on the left, ran down smartly with the ball at his toes, but it went over the line off Balmer, a corner resulting. On the other wing, McLean after a good run, kicked behind. Everton had another look in, and from a throw-in, Everton were penalised. A corner to Everton looked dangerous for the Stripes, but Kifford got his foot to the ball, and cleared in fine style. Then Bell gave Webb a long high shot to deal with, and he successfully negotiated it. Simmons and Lee transferred play to the other end, and the latter parted with the ball, which Balmer returned. The pressure on the Everton goal was renewed with dash and spirit, and after Simmons had missed a beautiful opportunity, McLean, who was operating smartly on the outside left, received a pass from Dorsett and completely beat Kitchen, opening the score half an hour after the kick off. This put the Albion people in a good humour, and the players were urged to continue this form. Hadley the Albion left half, kept a strict watch on Sharp, while Stevenson the centre half, spoiled numerous opportunities of the Evertonians. A breakaway by the Albion left wing pair was the initiation of another goal for the home eleven. Dorsett ran up almost close to the goal line, and then centred beautifully. The ball dropped amidst a bunch of players, one of whom, Simmons, put it through to the unbounded satisfaction of the home supporters. Brearley was next applauded for a piece of smart work, and Bell tried his best to lower the Albion's colours. This brought about half-time, when the Throstles were leading by two goals to nothing.

The first item of note in the second half was a penalty kick against Balmer. Simmons took the kick, which was in a favorable position, but Kitchen kept it out in good style. Offside was next given against Everton, after which Settle, dispossessed Simmons, Bell was fouled, and Lee took the Penalty kick , which availed nothing. Bell had the ball at his toes up to a yard or two of the goal line, when Kifford kicked over the line in the nick of time, the Evertonians being robbed of a good opportunity. After a fruitless corner to Everton the Throstles dashed away to the opposite end, but nothing accured. Settle next made an opening for his colleagues, but it was not an easy one, and he could not do more than kick over. Brearley was next a little wide of the mark with an oblique shot. McLean and Lee showed signs of giving trouble on the right, but Taylor beat Lee with the ball. A minute later Kitchen only justed barely saved from a corner, and Everton were again penalised for a foul after which Kitchen had tom handle from Worton. Simmons dispossessed Young, and after some desultory play in the Everton half, the visitors worked their way to the Albion goal, Bell Settle, and Young being conspicuous in the movement. Young received a pass and scored the first goal-a lucky one-for his side. There were cries of “play up Everton” from their supporters, and Sharp getting near, sent over the bar. A free kick to the Evertonians brought no success. Settle was applauded for the clever way in which he bested two of the opposing forwards, but Everton found a hard nut to crack in the Albion backs, and could not get through. Bell made a splendid run, and unfortunately, when there was a clear opening for him he collided with Kifford. The Throstles had a corner in a capital position. Dorsett tried to drop the ball in the goal mouth, but made a poor attempt. There were now only a few minutes left for playing, and the visitors were striving hard at anyrate' to equalise. Kitchen next had to repel a shot from Lee. Result Albion 2; Everton 1.

Everton's display was much below expectation. They were confident of success beforehand, but on the day's play they were more inferior to the Throstles. The front rank lacked that cohesion and smartness, which make for success, they could not get on the ball with the same readiness that has oftentimes distinguished their play, indeed, they did not seem to have “found their feet” properly. Bell was the best of the quintette, but he was only feeble supported, and had to make the most of his chances. Settle was far away from his best, as was also Sharp, whilst Young has often done better, though it must be said that he occasionally put in some rasping shots. Brealey was as good as any of the forwards, and now and again accomplished some clever work. It is quite evident that the front line will have to smarten up its success is to be achieved. Taylor was very useful at half-back, Abbott worked hard, but Booth was somewhat uneven, although at times there were some good old flashes of play on his part. Balmer was safe, resourceful, and judicious, but rather below his customary form. His partner, Lee was hardly equal to the requirements of the position his kicking being weak, but at the same time it must be remembered that Lee has youth on his side, and further, that it was no doubt a trying ordeal for him in his first appearance in first class football. He certainly has the making of a good player. Kitchen performed admirably in goal, and it was due to his excellent goalkeeping that more goals were not recorded against Everton. The Albion played a dashing game throughout and this undoubtedly the secret of their success, but, man form man, the Everton, on their true form, would be more than their equal.



September 4 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Chester opened their season yesterday evening, playing a friendly match with Everton combination. The weather was fine, but a strong wind blew from end to end and greatly interfered when the teams faced as follows: - Chester: - Ledsham, goal, Ashbury, and Stewart, backs Delaney, Turner, and Barker, half-backs Hodnett, Cartwright, Bromfield, Copeland and Miller, forwards. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and Balmer (r), backs Clark, Russell, and Chadwick (Tc), half-backs, McDonald, Dixon, Bowman Sheridan, and Dilly forwards . Chester kicked off with the wind and sun against them. The visitors got through on the left, and Bowman hit the crossbar from a pass by Dilly, Ledsham kept out a shot from the right wing, but was then beaten by McDonald with a cross shot, which rebound from the upright into the net. The Cestrians broke away on the right, but the ball was worked out of play. Baxter gave Everton a corner, and Delaney intercepted, Ledshan effected a good save, and Chester got the visitors quarters again, Copeland finishing a good effort by heading just outside. Chester returned to the attack, and Copeland had hard lines with a good shot, Whitley conceding a fruitless corner. Hodgett made a good run on the Chester right but was robbed by Chadwick, who transferred the play. Everton forwards worked their way down and Bowman evoked a hearty cheer for a splendid shot, which just grazed the bar. Sheridan scored a second goal for the visitors with a fast shot, and soon afterwards the same player called upon Ledsham, who saved well. A clever movement on the Everton right finished with the ball being swing onto Bowman, who scored a third in ease fashion. Halt-time; Chester nil, Everton 3.

In the second half Everton again opened with a spirited attack, and Ledsham and was applauded for a good save from Sheridan. Chester retaliated in capital style, and the Everton goal narrowly escaped capturn by Miller, Hodnett, and Turner in succession, Whitley having a lively time of it. Rain fell heavily at this stage and interfered greatly with the play. Chester continued to improve, and Hodnett and Delaney, the former putting in some dashing runs, did excellent work. Whitely however, was very safe, Dixon scored a fourth goal for Everton, result Chester nil, Everton 4.



September 8 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lee carried off with knee injury on the 63 minute mark

Having been beaten by West Bromwich Albion, the Everton team tried conclusions with the other, ex-Second Leaguers. Middlesbrough, on Saturday. They travelled to Redcar on Friday, and reached Middlesbrough at two o'clock. The visitors played the same team as against the Albion, the sides facing as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Lee, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Middlesbrough: - MacFaralne, goal, Blackett, and Ramsey, backs, Smith, Jones and Davidson, half-backs Robertson, Macauley Robertson (a), Cassidy, and Muir, forwards. Referee T.P.Campbell.

The teams took the field at ten minutes to three, and had a great reception for a fully 20,000 spectators. Everton opened the play, which at once became interesting. The speedy home right frequently bore down, and after the game had been in progress five minutes, Macauley looked like getting in a shot, when Balmer tackled, but at the expense of a free kick, which almost provided vital. A corner followed, when a neat movement was taken up by Settle and Bell, and the latter centred accurately, and Sharp shot in, but the advantage was lost on Young impeding the custodian. Play was now running favorably for Everton, but there was no mistaking the earnestness of the Middlesbrough defence, which up to this period left nothing to be desired. Settle and Young tricked the home half-backs, and on the ball coming out to Booth the last named sent in a terrific shot that passed across the goal. Again the Everton forwards displayed pretty passing movements, only to be finally held in check by the opposing defence. Still, Settle had a chance, but dallying was hustled off the ball, and within a minute Kitchen had to save a hot long shot from Ramsey. Another capital save was effected, and then Young, when close in, lifted the ball over the bar. It was only with difficulty that the Everton forwards could keep their feet on the turf when going at high speed, and thus handicapped both Sharp and Bell were unable to convert openings. A brilliant shot from Muir was splendidly saved by Kitchen at the expense of an abortive corner. Sharp put the ball into the net, but was ruled offside, and then followed a most persistent attack on the Everton Goal. On several occasions the home forwards showed capital movements, and but for the clever saving of Kitchen they must have opened their account. The high pace that had prevailed early on the slowed down considerably, and play for a time hovered about midfield. Getting away again, Young was given offside. But a moment later Booth head in, only to find the ball pass the side of the post. This narrow escape together with another at the other end infused fresh dash into the play of the sides, and exponents ran high as every inch of the ground was fiercely contested. The Everton forwards combined well, but as before stated a secure foothold was difficult, and many were the occasions when the players slid to earth. At the interval approached the home forwards put on a tremendous efforts to take the lead, and both Muir and Macauley came within beating distance of Kitchen and Balmer, Lee and Taylor put in good defensive work, while between the upright, Kitchen although his work capifally. The pressure was followed by a strong attack by Everton and, assisted by a free kick, the latter got well within shooting range only to be finally beaten, by the backs. Settle and Bell made off, but the latter was neualised when close to the touch line. Half-time now arrived, nothing having been scored. Halftime Middlesbrough nil, Everton nil.

The second half opened with a smart run down by the Everton left, but the wings owing to the persistent attention of Blackett was not able to get in a swinging centre. Ramsley then came under the notice of the referee for fouling Brearley, but no advantage accured by reason of bad placing by Taylor. The home side were seen going great guns, and following a couple of wide shots, Robertson just glazed the bar with a lovely shot. Immediately following, Lee was lucky with a chance kick, and relief at length came from a sprint by Young, and a timely pass out to Bell, Booth Abbott, and Taylor put in much good work, and at length a lovely chance was given to Sharp. The movement was initiate by Abbott and Settle and Bell both supplemented the latter player putting across to the right winger, who with no opposition made a ridiculously poor attempt to score. At this period of the game the Middlesbrough forwards swung about the ball, and rushing up gave the Everton defenders much trouble. It was during one of the rushes that Smith collided with Lee, and the Everton full back had to be carried off the field, apparently having had his knee injured. This misfortune occurred eighteen minutes after the interval and Balmer represented the full back division only. Offside decisions were now naturally frequent, and the Everton forwards were kept busy ahead from the resulting free kicks. The home team, however, continued to attack in vigorous and persistent fashion. Five minutes from the close Robertson scored for Middlesbrough, and thus annexed two useful League points for the home team. Final result: - Middlesbrough 1, Everton nil.



September 8 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination (Game 1)

At Goodison Park. Even play was the order of the start. Then Everton attacked but Monks was tripped. The same player took the penalty kick, but sent the ball over the goal stand. Turton retaliated and Whitley brought off two brilliant saves. Afterwards Everton pressed hotly, and Makepeace and Bowman each scored, the home side leading by 2 goals to nil at the interval. Everton had much the better of matters in the second half, but failed to score again, the shooting being bad. Final result Everton 2, Turton nil. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and Balmer (r), backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs, Rankin, Monk, Bowman, Sheridan, and Dilly, forwards.



September 8 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

With two reverses' in the opening week of the season, Everton have their long League campaign in a by no means auspicious manner. Still there is no occasion for their supporters to be down hearted. The Evertonians probably entered upon their season's work with a more difficult task before them, than any of the other League clubs. It has invariably proved to be correct that the clubs, which have gained promotion to the upper circle, commence their first League programme in Astonishing successful fashion. It was Everton's task to encounter away from home the two latest aspirants to League honours. Knowing how determinedly the most youthful members of the League play in their earlier matches, especially before their own supporters, it is scarcely surprising that Everton should have suffered reverse both at West Bromwich and Middlesbrough. In the former game there is no doubt that the Goodison road players were beaten on their merits, but one could scarcely make the same assertion about the match at Middlesbrough on Saturday. Indeed had not the Everton left back sustained an injury, which led to his withdrawal, from the game it is exceedingly likely that the visitors might at least have shared the honours of the game. Under these circumstances, while giving due credit to the stubbornness and determination of the northern team; it does appear that luck to some extent has been the portion of the Evertonians. This feeling was accentuated by the fact that Sharp, after one of his brilliant dashes during the first half of the game, placed the ball into the net, only to be ruled offside. The decision left room for some doubt as to its accuracy, but with a player like Sharp, who has such a wonderful turn of speed difference of opinion as to weather he was onside or not may be easily forthcoming. Still the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, unfortunately for the visitors was not given in favour of the speedy outside right. Although handicapped by the loss of Lee's services, it was not until the last few minutes of the game that A.Robinson turned to account a corner that gained the only goal which meant so much to both teams. When play commenced one was not long in coming to the conclusion that the players had determined to force the pace, and excitement was at a high pitch practically throughout the whole of the game. The Everton forwards gave a capital display of concerted action, but the Middlesbrough half back line, upon whom the laurels of the game primarily rested were keen and worrying workers and the manner in which they hampered their clever opponents when in the vicinity of goal was gleefully recognised by a delighted crowd of 20,000 spectators. They hung on to both man and ball with a persistency that finally brought about their object, and once could not but recognise the fact that had the Evertonians at times varied their plan of campaign success must have crowned their efforts. The bulk of the attack was directed from the left wing, and while Young did fairly well in the centre and Sharp on the right, Brearley was little behind in point of effectiveness. Indeed, with such a quintet at command it is inexplicable that scoring should not have been forthcoming, but there was the want of their dash at the critical moment that is so essential to success. Settle as usual, was generally well shadowed, but still he has scored under more trying conditions than on Saturday when more than once he paid the penalty of delaying his shot. The half-backs were hard workers and both Booth and Abbott twice came near scoring, while the back division though it was not often penetrated, did not strike one as being thoroughly sound, for many of the clearances were of a slipshod character, and recovery came at the expense of a great effort. There was no question about the ability of Kitchen as custodian, for he timed shots and cleared the ball with all his old cleverness several of his saves in the first half when the home left wing pair were exceptionally aggressive being nothing short of brilliance. The Middlesbrough club quite justified their elevation to the ranks of First League football. As will readily be gathered, the club is represented by a powerful set of defenders, who judging by the whole heartedness of their work, will offer stubborn resistance to the most powerful attacking side. Ramsley the left full back, put in much good football, as no doubt Sharp will be ready be admit; and of the halfbacks it would be invidious to single out any or special commendation, as all did well both in tackling and putting their forwards in possession. This department, together with that in charge of McFarlance were formidable barriers to Everton's success, and whatever the forwards lacked in disclosing the nicer points of the game they certainly made amends by their dash and persistent goaheadedness from the start to the final blowing of the whistle. Taking a broad view of the game a division of points would have been more in accord with the general run of play.



September 15, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

The first League match of the season was played at Goodison Park, Owing to Lee's injury, Balmer took the left back position in the Everton team, Henderson partnering him. The teams were: -

Everton: - Kitchen goal, Henderson, and Balmer, backs Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs; Sharp, Brearley, Young Settle, and Bell forwards. Newcastle United: - Kingsley, goal, Agnew, and Rennie, backs Carr, Aitken, and Gardiner (a), half-backs Roberts, Rutherland McColl, Orr, and Stewart, forwards. There would be quite 20,000 spectators present when Young started for Everton. Settle was early on prominent for the home side, after which Sharp and Brearley put in good work. Everton got well down, and after some exciting play in front of the Newcastle goal. Brearley put in a good shot, which was cleared. The next minute Kingsley had again to clear. From a throw-in in the United half, Brearley ran down and made an ineffectual shy at goal, after which McColl, the visitors centre, dribbled nicely, but his progress was stopped. Sharp was next conspicuous, and shot at long range, but it was short, and then the United got away in promising style, but play settled in midfield for a time. Agnew, who got the ball away, after which, the visitors' lefts showed up well, and were making, spoiled nice work by Brearley, who got the ball away, after which, the visitors' left showed up well, and were making tracks for the home goal when Balmer put in a fine kick. Taylor put in good work, and Everton getting in a good position, Sharp took aim from long range, but the shot lacked direction. The next minute Bell sent in a dangerous shot, but the ball curled outside-rather hard lines on the left winger. Up to now there was little to choose between the teams, although Everton had bad luck with their shots. McColl next initiated a splendid move, which was not checked. Orr and Stewart assisted and the latter, who was playing a smart game, ran nearly up to the goalline, and shot right across, the ball passing through the uprights. It was a shot which Kitchen had no chance with whatever, although he tried hard to keep it out. The Blues were again on the aggressive, Sharp and Brearley putting in good work. A foul against the United gave Everton a good opportunity, which Bell attempted to utilise to advantage by taking aim from short range. The ball, however struck Bennie in transit, otherwise it must have been a certain goal. The Newcastle forwards exhibited a fine combined move, and Roberts got near and shot in, but the referee ruled him offside. The pressure on the home goal was maintained, and Rutherford, next attempted to lower the colours of Everton, but he was unsuccessful. The United looked like giving trouble again, but Abbott stepped in the nick of time. This was followed up immediately with a smart attempt at goal, by Orr, the inside right Kitchen however, cleverly fisted it out. How it missed being a goal was a marvel. For a time the home men had to defend, but at length Booth put in a kick which opened out an opportunity, and Sharp Brearley, and Young made an incursion into the United territory. The next minute the Novcastrians were hovering in front of the Everton citadel, and Stewart got in a pass to McColl, who, however, failed with a shot. A clever run by Bell next occupied attention, but when only a short distance from goal Bennie spoiled his opportunity. Kitchen next had an anxious time, and the visitors were doing their finest to increase their lead. From a throw-in, in the Everton half Taylor got possession and kicked, placing his side in a favorable position, and the United had to concede a corner. This brought about half time, the score then being Newcastle United 1, Everton nil.

Immediately after restarting the home right wing pair were busy, but the ball went out, Brearley was working hard for Everton, and dribbled well down, and a couple of corners were forced. Sharp gave Kingsley a handful, the ball, however, being fisted out after which Settle ran down, but was charged off the ball when he had a clear opening. There was no mistaking the earnestness of Orr and Stewart on the right, this pair understanding each other well, and they often tested both Abbott and Balmer. A dangerous corner was given against the visitors, and the ball dropped in an ominous position, but it was safely piloted away, when Taylor shot in without success. Another corner followed, but nothing accured, and then fine play by Abbott, who had the best of the argument with Orr, and Stewart, was noticeable and came on for applause. Settle was prominent but was dispossessed, and then McColl showed brilliant play in midfield, after which Young tried his luck at goal, but Kingsley was not found wanting. There was another effective spell on the part of the visitors, who were undoubtedly cleverer than their opponents and Rutherford sent in at lighting speed, the ball striking the upright. Everton had a free kick, but this brought no assistance. Settle shot at Kingsley, who fisted out, and immediately after Bell, had a shy, the custodian again fisting out. His effort deserved better success. Abbott next tried his luck, but his shot went wide, Everton seemed to be out of luck, and Sharp made a brilliant effort, and Kingsley only saved by throwing himself on the ball-an equally brilliant save. Though trying desperately hard to the finish, Everton were beaten. Final results, Everton nil, Newcastle United 1.



September 15 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination (Game 2)

Three thousand spectators witnessed Manchester City on Saturday receive their first home defeat. Everton were the visitors and a capital game resulted. Notwithstanding the efforts of both teams, however there was no score at half-time though Gillespie and Threlfull missed a capital chance. In the second portion. Everton went away with great dash, and after Edmundson had saved in remarkable fashion from Monks, Sheridan showing a clean pair of heels to the City half-backs scored a magnificent goal. Threlfall and Reynolds tried hard to equalise, but the above solitary point decided the match. Everton: - Whitley goal, Crelly.and Balmer (r) backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, Monks, Bowman, Sheridan, and Dilly forwards.



September 15 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton opened their League campaign in more disastrous fashion than their most pessimistic supporter could have anticipated, and through the two defeats sustained at West Bromwich and Middlesbrough respectively may to some extent be accounted for, it is a more difficult matter to explain their non success at Goodison park against the Newcastle eleven. In their most recent display there were deservedly beaten by a team which was better balanced in every department than themselves, and the simple matter of fact remains that the visitors proved themselves vastly superior in combination, cleverness, and speed, and gave full valve for the two points they carried away. Only one goal was scored, this coming from an unexpected quarter, fully favoured with a considerable sprice of luck. Stewart the visitors outside right who proved the most dangerous forward on the field, received near the half-way line and running along touch sent in a high dropping shot when about 30 yards from the corner flag. This was evidently with the intention of giving his left wing comrades a chance of reaching the leather, but the ball pursued a most deceptive fight, and completely baffling Kitchen managed to drop into the net via the top right hand corner of the goal space. The shot was a capital one, but that Stewart expected it to vanquish the Everton custodian can scarcely be credited, and the Novocastrians must have been a more surprised witness of his success than anyone else on the field. However, the point decided the match and though the efforts was a fortunate one it certainly does no more than demonstrate the superiority of the visitors. Whilst the latter could boast an evenness of movement-which at times be came really bewildering in its rapid exchanges- a solid sturdy defence and three irrepressible half backs, the whole working together in excellent harmony, Everton displayed raggedness of methods that was simply that was simply as founding forwards, where so much had been expected drew blank, and though there were occasional periods when they appeared to be moving in more concerted fashion, the efforts were only spasmodic and unsustained. Yet here were the men who had worked so intelligently together only a few mouths ago, and despite the granite like barrier of halves, which they had to face, they should have made better use of their opportunities. Commencing in pleasing style they flattered for a little while, but during the greater part of the contest they were terribly disappointing. Combination vanished, the men were comparatively extremely slow on the ball, and, with the exception of about half a dozen decent shots they shaped very feeble near goal. Young has rarely been seen to such disadvantage in the centre; here as in other parts of the forward line, there was wanting that life and dash that keen desire to gain possession, and rapidity of exchange to the men on either side which is so essential to the outwitting of an opponent. The usually speedy extreme wingmen in just the same humour. Sharp making repeated blunders and being dispossessed almost at will by Carr, whilst Bell was not one whit more effective. Sythematic endeavor seemed beyond them, and the whole line sadly needs bracing up. One goal in the three matches is their record up to date, and after the exhibition given against Newcastle there need be no surprise felt, at this result. At half-back Booth gave a capital display, though he could not get his forwards going smoothly, but Abbott and Taylor were by no means so effective. The former had more than he could manage in Stewart and Orr, the outside winger in particular getting away with comparative ease from the half back's attentions, whilst the presence of Wolstenholme would have strengthened the weakness on the right wing. Further behind, Balmer bore off the honours and it was just as well that the left back was in rare form, for Henderson cleared in very hesitating fashion, and does not inspire one with much confidence. Kitchen was fairly deceived by the ball that beat him, and taking the team all round with the exception already referred to, it must be reluctantly admitted that their performance was decidedly feeble, and deserving of defeat. The Newcastle eleven is a strong combination in ever department. The forwards showed splendid passing and were excellently backed up by their halves, but they were none too deadly near goal. They also overdid the finishing at times and a reliable set of backs would have shown to advantage against them. Stewart was the most conspicuous forwards, but McColl displayed fine footwork though it was not so much the individual efforts as the fact that each player knew he was only one unit in the team, that led to such excellent combined movements. The halves were in brilliant form, the backs kicked and tackled grandly and Kingsley kept a capital goal, for the shots which came were the result of intermittent efforts which might have trapped a custodian inclined to take matters easily. Everton will need to brace themselves to greater deeds if they mean to registered a victory during the present month.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 20 September 1902

Everton have started the League tourney badly by losing their first three matches—two away, one at home—to teams which only Newcastle United can be said to be above an average. Apart from any natural inferiority of the Toffees their rivals, their failure, says “Tom Tiddler,” is due the suspension of Secretary Cuff and Trainer Elliott during the off season for poaching.” Mr. Horace Wright is the acting scribe protem, and Toman is the provisional trainer until October Ist; but, as may be easily imagined, these changes paralysed the attempts to get new blood, with the result that the stables contain far too large proportion of “old crooks,” while the absence of the regular trainer has not allowed even the “ old crocks ” to be patched up for work again. In other words. Everton are deplorably short of being fit.” and by the time they have got into trim they may have lost their chance.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 20 September 1902

At Wolverhampton, in fine weather. Everton left out Sharp, Settle. and Balmer, all on the sick List, places being respectively taken by Rankin. Sheridan, and Crelly. There were 7,000 spectators. The Wanderers won the toss, and the opening exchanges were in favour the visitors. Abbott conceded a corner to save his goal, but judicious heading got the ball away when Sheridan and Bell seemed dangerous. The leather just skimmed the upright. Everton again pressed, and Wanderers conceded a corner, but Baddeley saved cleverly. Kitchen had next twice to exert himself to save his goal. Beats managed to put over the bar, and the Wanderers were now certainly having the better play. Bettelley stopped a dash by Sheridan, and after warm work in front of the visitors' goal, Woolridge shot wide. Kitchen stopped dangerous high shot from Miller. Once the home defence was severely taxed, but relief came, and , Baddeley cleared after a grand run by Bell. Half-time—Wolves 0, Everton 0. On the resumption, the Wanderers attacked strongly. and Kitchen had two hot shots to deal with. The ball carried to the other end, and Baddeloy saved grandly four times in quick succession. Then Rankin scored from an oblique angle for Everton. The Wanderers played weak game in the forward line. Kitchen was in fine form. ResuIt—WOLVERHAMPTON. 1; EVERTON. 1.


Everton Reserves v. North End Reserves

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 20 September 1902

At Goodison, in dull weather, before 3,000 spectators. The visitors started against the wind, and Wilson handled a low shot from Bowman in the first minute. Warner cleared again and Rhodes giving to the Preston right wing, Bond and Bradshaw made a dashing run into the home half, where a centre by Bond was taken by Russell. Everton returned play to the visitors' half, Dixon sending a yard wide. several times the Preston goal was nearly rushed, and Derbyshire just stopped a straight shot by Dixons. The visitors were hard pressed, the ball being continually shot at wilson but Everton's aim was poor owing to the wind. The first corner fell to the visitors. Whiteley cleared by jumping up in a scrum and shoving away. When the home team got going again they ran right through their men, and Warner only saved by giving a corner. A neat centre by Bond was not accepted. Bowman scored on the interval. Half-time; Everton Reserves 1, North End Reserves 0. With the wind behind them the visitors now had a better chance. They led off dashingly, and Whiteley dropped a shot with some sting in it by Beardsworth. he got away after a severe tussle with Rhodes and Whittle. A few minutes later they were at him again, and the visitors resoluteness looked like succeeding until Balmer back heeled the ball into touch, and a resulting corner was sent by Bond. Result; Everton Reserves 6, North End Res 0


September 22, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

After their defeat, Everton on Saturday journeyed to Wolverhampton, unfortunately they were by no means at full strength. Sharp being hurt and Settle and Balmer unwell. Rankin, Sheridan and Crelly took the places. The Wolves made no change and the following teams lined up before 6,000 spectators. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Henderson, and Crelly, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Rankin Brearley, Young Sherdian and Bell, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Jones, and Betteley, backs, Whitehouse, Pheasant, and Annis, half-backs, Fellows, Smith, Beat, Wooldridge, and Miller, forwards.

Young, started and Bell and Sheridan took up a fine movements at once. The outside man put in a fine centre to Young, and had the latter put in a shot instead of preferring to pass out the visitors might easily have taken the lead in the first minute of play. A breakaway to the other end found the visiting backs in great form, and the incursion was but of short duration. Rankin speed away on the right, only to be finally checked by Baddeley, and for a few minutes play hovered about midfield. So far the pace was of the keenest and pointed to the tussle as being at the finish a test of staying power. Kitchen was called upon by Beats, and following the clearance the whole of the Everton forwards moved off in fine style, the finishing touch by Bell passing across the goalmouth at a time when Baddeley was practically beaten. This was a narrow escape for the home side, and they signallised it by at once pressing Everton. Immediately afterwards the visitors again got away, this time on the right, and Rankin who had cleared the opposition, had an open goal, but shot across its mouth. The Wolves defenders by this time had evidently tumbled to the idea that some special effort was required to keep to keep the up to now busy forward rank of Everton in check. But Jones and Betteley gave very little quarter, and Pheasant was at this juncture particularly attentive to Young. Play was quickly at the other end, and when Fellows looked like scoring with practically an open goal, Henderson stepped in more by good luck than management, and saved the downfall of the Everton citadel. The Wolves continued to have the better of the exchanges and from a free kick Pheasant shot, wide. For a time play was entirely confined to Everton's half and it was rather remarkable how the goal escaped being captured Abbott, Bell, and Sherdian were instrumental in taking play to within a few yards of the Wolves line, but Bell was unfortunately given offside, and the advantage was lost. Booth shot in to Baddeley, who placed the ball in a position for Miller to clear the field. A pass to Beats supplemented the Wanderers chances, when Taylor with a determined tackle, prevented a shot being levelled at Kitchen and though several other incursions followed, the Everton defence proved themselves ready for any emergency. Once again the visiting left wing were seen to great advantage, and a particularly smart bit of play ended in Sheridan only bring slightly wide of the mark. Returning in the attack, Bell and Sherdian were particularly busy, and a clever effort on the part of the outside man gave no option to the custodian but to grant a corner, which resulted in nothing tangible. A sudden dash by the Wolves forwards resulted in Kitchen saving cleverly from Beats, and for some time the Everton goal was in imminent danger. The defence prevailed and after smart passing in which Abbott and Bell were particularly prominent. Rankin was presented with a perfect opening. However, in the great satisfaction of the crowd, he sent wide of the mark. A moment later Rankin made amends for his mistake by putting in a brilliant centre, which was cleared by the goalkeeper with difficulty. Just on the interval the Wolves made a determined attack on the Everton goal, and saving twice, Kitchen at a third attempt just tipped over the bar a really brilliant shot from Miller. Half-time Everton nil, Wolverhampton Wanderers nil.

On the general run of the play during the first half there could be no denying the fact that the Evertonians had just a lead. The forwards combined well, and Rankin made a capable understudy for Sharp, while Sherdian quite justified his incursion as a partner to Bell. On resuming the Wolves left went off with rare dash, and after two futile attempts to get through, Wooldridge put in a fast rising shot, which Kitchen attended to in his usual effective fashion. Then followed a most persistent attack on the home defence, and nothing but the determined attentions of the halves and the full backs who harassed the visiting forwards to a close degree, could have prevented Baddeley from being beaten. After two or three minutes pressure, during which the ball was never more than twenty yards from the Wolves goal, a shot from Young which just grazed the bar, brought the home side a welcome relief. The Evertonians still kept up the pressure, and both Rankin and Abbott tried their luck, with no better result. Brearley with a long ground shot, and at the other end, Wooldridge, in attempting to beat Kitchen, had his shot charged down by Henderson. A moment later Baddeley was lucky in saving his change when out of goal, and there was a persistency in the Everton attack, which almost presaged victory. The Wolves defenders however, were on absolutely their best behavior, and the cleverness of the visiting forwards was repeatedly frustrated. Rankin scored for Everton after thirty minutes of the second half, and the Wolves equalised, the game ending in a draw. Final score-Everton 1 goal, Wolves 1.



September 22, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 3)

At Goodison Park, before a good attendance. Play during the first 20 minutes was very even, each end been visited in quick succession. The Everton attacked, but Wilson gave a fine exhibition in the Preston goal. Monks hit the bar, with a grand shot, and five minutes off the interval, Makepeace scored. On resuming Everton continued to have the best of the matters and Monk quickly added two more goals. Whitley was hurt, but resumed and Bowman beat Wilson on three more occasions, Everton running out easy winners by six goals to nil. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Crelly, and Clark, backs Clayton, Russell and Makepeace, half-backs, Dixon, Monks, Bowman, Chadwick, and Dilly, forwards.



September 22, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Following three decisive defeats, it is quite gratying to record that Everton secured even one point on the well known Molineux Ground. As a matter of fact, they deserved infinitely more, for the team gave altogether a better display than that which was exhibition by the Wolverhampton Wanderers. Throughout the game the Evertonians were always prominent, and it would not have been astonishing had chances been take advantage of if they had won by a very comfortable margin. As events turned out, the quality of play on both sides rarely rose above the level of mediocrity for neither team seemed to be the possessor of the happy idea of realistic and effective combination. To a great extent, no doubt this falling off, so far as regards his interesting display from the point of view of the spectators was due to the harassing tactics of the half-backs on each side. During the first half this was a feature which was particularly noticeable and while the Wolves forwards are not what they were in the days of yore, a compliment must deservedly be paid to the persistency with which, Taylor, Booth and Abbott attended to the occasional, but none the less effective, movements initiated by the Wolves front line. Neither goalkeeper was especially troubled during the first half of the game, which in fact resolved itself into a struggle between rivals half-backs lines, each of which can justly be complimented upon the effectiveness of their work. It was not until the second half of the game had been in progress for something like half an hour, that the spectators were provided with any items at all likely to appeal to them in anything like full measure. When Everton. as the result of a really meritorious exhibition of how the forwards game should be played, scored, the initial point as the outcome of an extremely well judged and timely shot from Rankin, there seemed to be an almost absolute certainly that the visiting side would carry back the maximum points. Let it here be stated that great praise is due to Rankin, who, apart from being an assistant in the Everton training department has also the recommendation that he has learned his football in Liverpool, and on his form last Saturday, is destined, one would magine, to make a name for himself in the higher circles of Association football. Naturally the success which attended the persistent efforts of the Everton attacking line was not appreciated by the crowd of onlookers, and as is not uncommon on the Molineux Ground, the cries of the spectators roused the home team to such an extent that during the last quarter of an hour, it was evident on the face of it that “Wild horses” would not prevent them equalising if they had any possible chance whatever of accomplishing that much desired result. This determined attitude was rewarded by an equalising goal from the foot of Wooldridge, after a smart centre from the right wing. Reviewing the game as a whole, one could only state that the Wanderers were extremely lucky to share the honours of the occasion. This idea has already been indicated, and even the most ardent supporters of the Wolves frankly admitted that on the day's play Everton were justly entitled by reason of their cleverness in attack, their strenuous half backs play, and their capable defence in the vicinity of goal, to the full honours of a couple of League points, of which they at the present time are so greatly in need. The partial victory, which Everton achieved, was all the more gratying on account of the fact that the side were deprived of the services of three of their most prominent members. Seeing that men like Balmer, Sharp and Settle were absentees, the fact that a depleted eleven could journey to Wolverhampton and return with a point, emphasis's the strength of the resources which the management have at command. Whilst it can hardly be said that either Henderson or Crelly proved efficient backs in the manner in which some of the older Everton backs have distinguished themselves, they are fairly entitled to commendation for effective tackling and judicious kicking, though there may have been lacking in their efforts the crispness the judgement and the absolute certainly which are associated with a really first class exponent of back play. Reference has already been made to the excellent work accomplished by the Everton halves. It was in almost all respects admirable, and the main feature-to all intents and purposes a feature which gained Everton's first point this season-was the remarkable tenacity which each member of the trio displayed whenever there was anything like a dangerous attack on their goal. Of course, it goes without saying that Kitchen worthily sustained his reputation as one of the most capable custodian in Assoication football. True, he had not many difficult shots to negotiate, but whenever danger threatened he was ever alert, and in the right position, and as far as the ball which counted against his side was concerned, he had no possible chance whatever of stopping its progress into the net. Certainly the display of the forwards was a decided improvement upon anything which Everton have yet done in this department this season. In three matches the attack had only credited themselves with one goal, and this was when the line was presumably at its full strength. Against the Wolves both Settle and Sharp were absent, one owing to injury and the other in consequence of illness. Whilst it may be uncharitable to suggest that the absence of these famous players had the effect of improving the forward line, it must be admitted that their substitutes were eminently successfully especially in view of the previous performance of the team. The goal, which Rankin scored was one which, could only have been obtained by a player who, apart from speed, has a knowledge not only of the opportune moment for shooting, but of the right time to dodge and circumvent an opposing back. Sheridan has shown by his work in reserves team matches that he is a player who is justly entitled to figure in a first League team. There were times when he did not altogether fall in with the methods of the that past master of the art of forward play, John Bell, but at the same time he gave one the idea that a little more practice in class company would result in his development as a most serviceable and dangerous inside left. The Wolves are to be congratulated upon their tenacity after Everton had opened the scoring. They are hardily the same”Wolves” that represented the club a few years ago, but still they inherit the capacity for adapting themselves to the circumstances of the game which, apparently is going all against their side. It was their determination, which brought them an equalising point, with regard to which that clever forward Wooldridge, and their custodian, played a conspicuous part. The point gained by Everton was most acceptable, not only to the players, but to the supporters of the club, and it will only accentuate what will be taken as the great meeting next Saturday with their formidable opponents of Anfield-road.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 27 September 1902

Secretary Cuff, or ex-secretary, as I ought to call him till October 1st, is anxious to get back with Everton. He i modest enough to believe, I dare say, that the "Toffies" are losing through his enforced absence. I would be glad to think so, too, myself, for then victory would be near at hand; but I have an uncomforable conviction that the cause of theirt disasterous career is not an absentee secretary -it is themselves. Still, it is pleasant to see Secretary Cuff so anxious to do some work and draw his salary again. The shareholders are strangely divided on his merits. "How much?" one of them queried at the annual meeting when his salary was mentioned. "$200 a year," was the replay. "Too much!" yelled the shareholder. "Not half enough!" retorted another. I express no opinion either way, but he is zealous and well-meaning, and even his bitternest ememy will admit that things cannot be worse with Everton when he is back than they are.


Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Saturday 27 September 1902

Last season's result; , Everton 4 goals, Liverpool 0 goal.

At Goodison Park, before 35,000 spectators. Lord; Stanley started the game tor Everton. Liverpool showed up well in the earlier stages the game. Young at length scored for Everton, and two minutes later Brearley put through. Shortly after Young scored again for Everton. Raybould scored for Liverpool from a penalty. Half-time;— Everton 3 goals; Liverpool 1' Final; Everton 3 goals, Liverpool 1 goal


September 29, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

The first of two League fixtures between our local eleven's was down for decision on Saturday at Goodison Park, the event ranking as one of the most important, certainly the most interesting to Everton and Liverpool. The reason for this is not far to seek, for there is the greatest rivalry-healthy rivalry by the way-between the two contending teams for the better position in the League table, and both sides were expected to try their hardest for supremacy. Everton only made one alteration in the team which drew with Wolves last week, Sharp resuming in his old place on the right, vice Rankin, who gave such a good account of himself a week ago. Settle was still an absentee, Sherdian again appearing at inside left with Bell. Liverpool put in a stronger team, though it was seen that Morris was operating for Chadwick at inside left. The day was very favorable for the game, though a trifle warm, but notwithstanding this there was an immense crowd. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Henderson, and Balmer, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Young, Sheridan, and Bell, forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Glover, and Dunlop, backs, Parry, Raisebeck, and Goldie, half-backs, Goddard, Livingstone, Raybould, Morris, and Cox, forwards .

There would probably by 35,000 spectators at the start. Liverpool won the toss, but there was little advantage, as there was hardly any wind. Lord Stanley was present on the ground, and was privileged to take the kick off for Everton. An attack was at once made on the Liverpool goal, and the game was hardly a minute old when it was stopped through a slight injury top Perkins, which, however, proved nothing serious. Livingstone and Goddard relieved the pressure and got the ball to near the half-way line, when offside was given against Raybould. This player eventually got the ball at his feet and gave to Goddard, who exhibited nice play, centring without success. Morris beat Brearley for the ball, but the Liverpool half was again the centre of operations, though Raisebeck put in a timely kick which, removed play, after which Goddard from a good position shot in, but the ball glanced off another player and a corner was awarded. Shortly afterwards Morris made an attempt to find the net, but only placed behind. The pressure on the home goal was maintained, and Livingstone was applauded for fine play. The next item of note was a capital move on the part of the home forwards, which was not checked, and Young sent in a good shot, which just went outside, this was the signal for brilliant play on the part of Everton. Sharp and Brearley executed a clever run of the right, beating Dunlop, and Brearley receiving a pass sent in a lighting shot, which beat Perkins, thus securing first blood for Everton. The attack was in no way slackened, and after a short period of smart play, Young scored a second goal for Everton thus being after about twenty minutes play. The Everton supporters were simply beside themselves at this unexpected turn of events, but judge of their intense joy two minutes later when Abbott getting in a favourable position, sent the ball in at express speed, and Perkins was completely nonplussed with it. Three goals in little more than as many minutes was very good work for Everton, and could hardly have been more satisfactory. It was certainly an eye opener to the visitors. Following this exciting and, as far as Everton were concerned, productive play, there was a short period of even play. From a throw in, Cox headed to Glover, who was the means of transporting play to the home end. Balmer was all there, however, and his judicious kicking prevented any mischief. A smart run on the left by Cox was neutralised by Henderson, and then the Anfielders were in front of the Everton goal, but there was some bully on the part of one or two of the front rank, added to which Abbott got his toe to the leather. About the half way line Dunlop had his kick charged down by Brearley, who gave Everton a look in. Raybould and Morris worked hard, Cox was again making tracks for the home goal, but the ball had to be brought back, and them the throw-in the game was waged in midfield, from which Bell got possession, and tried with a shot at long range, which Perkins had no difficult in dealing with. Another shot from Sherdian rebounded off one of the Liverpool backs and them from this Livingstone and Raybould got away nicely. There was a good opportunity for Liverpool at this point, and a penalty kick was given against either Abbott or Balmer for pushing Livingstone in the penalty area. Raybound was entrusted with the kick and easily beat Kitchen, thus opening the score for his side. This point was very welcome under the circumstances, put with standing that it accrued from a penalty. For the next few minutes desultory play was the order until the Blues made an incursion to Liverpool territory, when Dunlop got the ball away with a useful kick. Cox got possession only a short distance from the Everton citadel, but he almost dallied with it too long. His final shot hardy missed going through very close to the ground. Raybould next gained possession and dribbled nicely, finally giving to Cox, whose chance was spoiled by Taylor. A foul was next given against Everton in the Liverpool half, and Dunlop took the kick, which availed nothing. This brought about half time with the Blues pressing. Half-time Everton 3; Liverpool 1.

Raybould restarted for the visitors, but before any impression could be made on the opposing side Henderson returned with a flying kick. The home forwards were evidently in earnest, and reached the Liverpool goal, where a free kick was awarded the visitors, which enabled them to again attack Young Sheridan, and Bell worked the ball down, but their efforts were frustened, although they aided by effective play on behalf of the backs. The Reds were now on the aggressive, and Kitchen had to clear from Raybould. A corner to the Reds was safely got away, after which, there were some brief exchanges between Young and Brearley, and Raybould and Livingstone. Raisebeck headed to Livingstone, who got possession, and passed to Goddard, against whom a foul was given. Nice play on the part of Taylor, and Abbott made an opening for the home forwards, who were troublesome in front of the Liverpool goal, after which, the home team were awarded a free kick. Perkins had next to come out of his goal to negotiate a well-directed shot. Immediately afterwards Cox made poor use of an opportunity and to make matters worse for the visitors Raybould, who headed in, had the point disallowed for some reason or other. Still, the disconragements had little or no effect on the persistence of the Reds, who were playing with commendable earnestness. Young and Brearley were next out on their own, but met strong opposition in Raisebeck, who adroitly footed the ball away. Everton renewed the attack, however, and after Sheridan had been robbed, Bell got in position and shot, but it was unsuccessful. End to end play was the order for a few minutes, after which, the Blues were in a favourable position in front of their opponents' goal. Danger threatened, but the leather was at length got away, when Liverpool were again in danger, Dunlop had the best of bout Young, and once more the home team went away empty handed. Goddard next put in a starting move on the right, eventually meeting his superior in Balmer. The Reds were putting in some good work at this point, and their efforts deserved better success, but they were compelled to retire beaten final result Everton 3, Liverpool 1.



September 29, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination. (Game 4)

At Nelson. The visitors had rather the better of the opening exchanges, but were opposed by a fine defence. Bowman scored in fifteen minutes, with a good shot, but near the interval Nelson equalised. The game was keenly contested in the second half, and close on time, Dixon scored for Everton, who won by 2 goals to 1. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wolstenholme, and Crelly, backs Clayton, Russell, and Chadwick (tc), half-backs, Dixon, Monks, Bowman, Makepeace, and Dilly, forwards .



September 29. 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Previous on Saturday the Everton Club had not been overburdened with good fortune in their League games this season, but the fluke goddess was in a most generous humour when they came to tackle Liverpool and as if to compensate for earlier lack of attention, simply overwhelmed them in favours. A glorious victory-the first of the present campaign- and a golden hoard, amassing over £1100, were amongst her donations, and in achieving their success the fortunate players gained more than their share of the luck that was floating around. Even nature itself was in a beautiful mood, the day being an ideal one for football, though perhaps more sultry than the combatants in the Herculean struggle appreciated for judging from their paces in the last quarter of an hour. The previous exertions had told very forcibly upon both teams. No wonder, then that the Everton supporters chuckled with unconcealed delighted at being the recipients of such a concatenation of favours, whilst an unconcreditable feeling of serene satisfaction pervaded the breasts of those whose duty it is to direct the fortune of the club. Close upon 40,000 persons witnessed the rivals clubs strive for supremacy, the company including a select party from Knowsley, and the Hon F.Stanley was prevailed upon to open the game. For 23 minutes the play favoured Liverpool, who displayed fine combination in the attacking lines, but did not cause Kitchen too much in easiness and considering the opportunities they had the Reds forwards should have been ahead during this period. Then came one of those kaleidoscopic changes, which constitute the chief charm of sport, and which in five minutes play Everton in an invincible position, and caused gloom of the darker hue in the Anfield camp. A quick rush on the Everton right wing ended in Sharp cleverly eluding Dunlop the centre came accurately across, and after some exciting work in the goalmouth Brearley shot against Perkins, but the same player securing from the rebound, found the net. Liverpool dashed away, but Sharp was once more given the ball, and another splendid centre enabled Young to come up at full speed and breast a second goal. Still a third was forthcoming, for Sharp again crossed to the goalmouth, the ball was kicked out to Abbott, who steadied himself, and whizzed in a terrific shot, which Perkins never even saw. And this was how Everton won. Liverpool did score from a penalty given against Balmer for jumping and handling the ball, within the prescribed area, but their one failing stuck to them throughout; they couldn't do the right thing near goal. They had no luck with their best efforts, but Raybould appeared to register a second goal, which the referee disallowed apparently for impeding the goalkeeper, while Goddard sent in a lovely shot in the last minute that Kitchen did well to even get at. The cause of Everton's success, and the consequent downfall of their rivals, was solely a matter of one making better use of their chances, when near goal than their opponents. In actual play, Liverpool held a decided advantage and this despite the excellent work accomplished by the home halves, for their forwards displayed capital combination, did no dally or hesitate when in possession, but justed lacked the dash at the critical stage, which would have turned their previous excellent movements to substantial advantage. Nothing better than Goddard work was seen in the match, he is a most gentlemanly yet withal exceedingly effective player, and with a delightfully appearance of languid efforts lures the unwary defenders to his downfall, leaving him in the rare with ease. He went across some excellent centres, but unfortunately for his side none who turned to account. Curious enough it was in the extreme right of the Everton front line that most danger arose, and Sharp fairly covered himself with glory during that exhilarating five minutes in the first half. He completely bewildered Dunlop, who at this stage seemed unable to hold his opponents in hand, and he displayed some masterly touches in retaining possession of the ball until the moment for crossing to the centre arrived when the leather was driven with unerring aim to its billet. Raybould again gave a very fine exhibition in the centre. Morris played a capital game on the left wing, but Cox could not get away from Taylor, who must have carried out his instruction to a nicely. Had the Liverpool forwards shown the same skill in shooting of had they even infused just an extra bit of vigour into their work near goal, they must at least have shared the points, but their shooting lacked keenest, and this led to their overthrow. The excellent work of the Everton half back was the most prominent feature of their side's display, and they backed up their forwards most persistency. Consequently, Young shaped better in the centre than he has before this season, and both Brearley and Sheridan gave evidence that their football ability is of no means order. They deserve great credit for pouncing on to every possible chance, and when they did get away they were always more dangerous than the Liverpool front rank. Taylor played a splendid game at half, but as a matter of fact Booth and Abbott were little behind in efficiency, and this line bore off the honours of the game. The Liverpool trio showed a considerable improvement upon their previous week's performance, though Raisebeck is not yet at his best, and Parry was the most prominent, though Goldie performed well. Further behind the teams were on an equality, Balmer and Glover being the pick of the full backs. Henderson played a very poor game, and seem's altogether lacking in resource; whilst Dunlop though kicking sturdily at times had a very had spell in the first half. The Liverpool defence is not exactly fulfilling antic pations, and eight goals dropped in four matches implies a weakness which needs attention. Kitchen kept a capital goal, but despite the good work of the team generally Everton were fortunate in winning by a margin of two goals, for on the play, a drawn game would have been an accurate result.


September 30, 1902. Lancashire Evening Post

Storrier, captain of the Dundee team, has signed for Millwall club. Storrier played for Everton some few years ago, and afterwards went back to his native land and played for the Celtic, and it was during the season 1899 that he was selected to play against England at Birmingham. Last season he captained the Dundee team.


September 30 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashie Senior Cup, Round One.

Everton were drawn against Glossop in the first Round of the Lancashire Cup Competition, and the even was decided yesterday at Goodison-road, in favourable weather. Judging from the mere handful of people assembled on the ground just prior to the start, there did not appear to be much interest centred in the contest, and apparently the Lancashire cup Competition is not calculated to create any extraordinary excitement in the neighborhood of Everton. Everton relied mainly on the combination team, the only first team representatives assisting being Abbott and Brearley with Rankin and Sheridan. The teams lined up as follows: - Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wolstenholme, and Balmer (r), backs, Clark, Russell, and Abbott half-backs Rankin, Brearley, Bowman, Sherdian, and Dilly, forwards. Glossop: - Clarke, goal, Burgess, and Norgrove, backs, Pell, Coates, and Goodall, half-backs, Badenoch, Thornley, McCattney, Thornley (h), and Carr, forwards.

Glossop kicked off, and the first item of not was a wide attempt, the ball going outside. Badenoch and Thornley were prominent with a speedy dribble on the right for Glossop, but Russell completely upset their calculation. Everton returned and though good play by Rankin, Norgrove had to kick out. Clarke soon showed his usefulness at right half-back, after which the Glossop forwards got through the opposition, and Russell unfortunately missing his kick, left the Glossop centre, McCartney with a clear opening, and he had no difficulty in finding the net, five minutes after the start. Glossop next had a free kick, and getting to the centre of the field they were awarded another free kick for a foul. The Everton backs at this point were not exhibiting their best form, and the visitors were somewhat aggressive. A goal kick, which was well got away, afforded welcome relief for the Evertonians, and getting down to the other end, Brearley headed in, causing Clarke to handled for the first time. Rankin received a capital pass, and it was rather hard lines on him when at what appeared a favourable opportunity a foul was given against the visitors. One of the home Rankin heading against the Glossop custodain's cranium, and a free kick was given. The home forwards were displaying anything but clever passing, but improved later, and after ineffective shots by Bowman Dilly, and Abbott. Everton were awarded a penalty kick , owing to Sheridan being pushed in the penalty area, and Abbott equalised. Sherdian and Bowman next tried to find the net, but failed and Rankin hooked the ball, but it was nowhere near the at the finish, and following this, Clarke had to clear from Bowman. Neat work by the Glossop front rank at length transferred play, but Russell and Clarke broke up the attack, and the next minute, Sherdian, after useful assistance from Brearley sent in a stinging shot which beat Clarke, giving Everton the lead. Bowman next hard two terrific shots, both of which went over the crossbeam. He was apparently more eager than judicious Goodall, at the other end, made an ineffectual attempt and McCartney was very unlucky with his shot from a timely pass by Goodall. Half-time Everton 2, Glossop 1. Immediately on resuming the Blues stormed in front of the Glossop goal, and Rankin sent over the bar. A free kick was given against the visitors, and this being well placed, Brearley had an opening, but shot wide, doing ditto a minute later. After some parleying in front of the Glossop goal, Abbott tried in vain to lower the visitors colours. Whitely had next to exercise his resource, which he did in a clever manner. One of the visitors close in, headed into goal, the ball striking the upright. Meeting the ball again, kicked in, Whitley bringing off a capital save. Shortly afterwards he had another handful from McCartney at close quarters, and again averted a goal. Abbott next assayed one right across the goalmouth, and shortly after Bowman had the hardest of luck, a lighting shot striking the Glossop custodian. He, however compensated for his ill-luck a minute later, when he put through in clever style. Increasing Everton's lead. Glossop now became very persistent, and McCartney sent in lighting shot from short range, which gave Whitley no chance. Final result, Everton 3, Glossop 2.


Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 30 September 1902

Storrier, captain of the Dundee team has signed for Millwall Club. Storrier played for Everton some few years ago, and afterwards went back to his native land and played for the Celtic, and it was during the season 1899 that he was selected to play against England at Birmingham. Last season he captained the Dundee team.

September 1902