Everton Independent Research Data


Dundee Courier - Wednesday 02 July 1913
Joe Smith, the Everton and former Hull CIty forward, has signed on for Belfast Disillery. Smith is a native of Stanley, and commenced football in the West Stanley ranks, the club at that time being connected with the Northern Alliance.

Nottingham Evening Post - Thursday 10 July 1913
Pinkney, the ex-Everton forward, who was with Barrow last year, has now gone to Gillingham.
St. Mirren have secured a notable addition to their playing strength in requiring Walter Holbein of Everton. He is a back who can play on neither right or left, but as a preference for the latter position. Holbein was two seasons with the Goodison club, and previously was with Sheffield Wednesday.

July 10, 1913. The Dundee Courier
St. Mirren F.C are showing considerable enterprise in their efforts to build up a first class eleven for next season. Mr. Hugh Law, the manager, has just carried through negotiations for the transfer of Walter Holbein, of Everton. Prior to joining Everton, Holbein played for Sheffield Wednesday, and proved himself a full back of much ability. While with the Wednesday, Holbein twice played for Sheffield in the inter-city match with Glasgow.

Dundee Courier - Saturday 12 July 1913
The King and Queen paid their State visit to Liverpool yesterday, when His Majesty opened the new Gladstone Dock. Unfortunately a fatality marred the Royal visit.. A wall collapsed, and three persons were injured, man succumbing in hospital to his injuries. The departure of their Majesties from Knowsley was witnessed by tnousands of people. The Royal party motored Edge Lane, where they were officially received the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress. Mr Bonar was among the house party. Entering the State carriage, their Majesties drove to Liverpool Exhibition grounds, where j10,000 children, Crimean veterans, and a large crowd assembled. Afterwards they proceeded to St George's Hall, where addresses were presented by the Corporation, University, and Chamber of Commerce. The King, reply to the Corporation, expressed gratification at the progress made the Cathedral building. He spoke of the necessity for Liverpool to provide mag nificent new dock to add to the facilities of commerce of the port. Replying to the University, he said that the study of tropical medicine had been of inestimable value in promoting the health of his tropical dominions. His Majesty then knighted the Lord Mayor, Mr J. S. Harmoodj Banner, M.P. King on Mauretania. Some ten or twelve thousand people were present at the opening of the new Gladstone Dock by the King. Prior to this function a visit was paid to the Mauretania, the largest of one hundred and ten vessels forming a five-mile line in the River Mersey. His Majesty, who went from deck to deck, was greatly interested what he saw on board the great linor, and expressed his keen appreciation Mr A. A. Booth, chaairmn the Cunard Company. The magnificent display in the river impressed him to such an extent that the arrival of the Royal party at the Gladstone Dock was somewhat delayed. Chairman of Dock Board Knighted. While the Dock Board tender was approaching the dock an unrehearsed incident was witnessed in the arrival of Mr Mell.v, a local aviator, who in his aeroplane skilfully circled the vessel, the manoeuvre being closely watched the King. The formal ceremony of opening the dock was performed the bow of tne Galatea cutting the ribbons stretched across the en-: trance. Simultaneously the warships Lane&s-! and Liverpool fired a Royal salute, and massed choir of over 1000 voices sang the National Anthem, the sinking being led the band of the Irish Guards. Their Majesties mounted a dais the side of the dock, and after prayers by the Bishop of Liverpool Mr Ilelenus Robertson, chairman of the Mersey Dock Board, presented an address of welcome. In his reply the King paid a 6trong tribute the shipping pre-eminence of Liverpool, and the honour of knighthood was subsequently conferred upon Mr Robertson by His Majesty. Entering State carriage, the Royal party drove from the Gladstone Dock to Purk, the home of the Everton Football Club, where they witnessed an imposing and picturesque display drill and manoeuvres by 60,000 school children. It was close upon six o'clock before their Majesties left Liverpool for Knowsley. Throughout the day Prince Albert's popu; larity with the crowds was manifested the hearty reception accorded him at every stage of the proceedings.
Fatal Accident.
Unfortunately fatality marred the general eclat, of the Royal visit. A portion of a wall at Prince's Parade near the landing-stage was so crowded by people anxious to see the embarkation of the Royal party on the Galatea that it, collapsed, and three persons—one girl and two men—received injuries necessitating their removal to hospital. John Johnson, Bentinck Street, Liverpool, the most seriously injured, died in the Northern Hospital later in the evening from fractured skull.
Two Suffragettes were arrested during the day. Miss Jolly, secretary of the Liverpool branch the W.S.P.U., after the Royal procession had passed, hurled a poker through a" shop window on the line of route. She was immediately taken into custody. The second Suffragette was arrested while the King was entering Everton football ground. She endeavoured to approach the Roval carriage. The King and Queen will reach London on Monday evening about 7.30 at the conclusion of their Lancashire tour.

Athletic News - Monday 14 July 1913
Evidently Paisley St.Mirren have faith in the Everton players.  A year ago they secured Magner, who has proved a valuable asset to the club, and recently Davidson’s transfer was obtained.  Still another Everton player goes to the town of thread and poetry in Walter Holbem, who has been at Goodison Park two seasons, after a time with Sheffield Wednesday, by whom he was introduced to English League football.  As a member of the Wednesday, Holbem, who plays right or left back, was included in the Sheffield team for the inter-city match with Glasgow on two occasions, and his inclusion in St. Mirren’s side should greatly strengthen the defence.  Twenty-five years of age, he stands 5ft 8in, and weigh’s 11st 7lbs. 

Athletic News - Monday 11 August 1913
All the Everton players turned up at Goodison Park and started training in earnest on August 2.  Last Thursday the players together with several of the directors, journeyed on a motor chara-abane to Bettws-y-coed, and the trip was thoroughly enjoyed.  The first public practice game has been arranged for Saturday next, the 16th, inst., when all the new players will be on view.  Judging from the appearance of the men, there seems to be little need for training, for nearly all are already fit.  There will probably be a preliminary canter in private before Saturday’s public display. 

August 19, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Without paying any of the fancy prices now demanded for first class footballers. Everton have secured several new men who should prove of good service to the club. This at least, was the opinion of many of the club supporters who witnessed the first practice game at Goodison Park last night. First in order of prominence was Palmer, the outside left from Bristol Rovers. This sturdy player has more than speed to commend him. He is tricky and determined, and a feature of his play was his well-placed centres. Fulton, the new Scottish back, had many admirers. Physical he is almost of ideal build. He is not lacking in speed, and quick in recovery, and he kicks with great force. Everton's prime need is a first-class goalkeeper. Hodge gave some most reliable displays last season, and many preferred him to Caldwell. Much is expected from Turner, the new keeper from Pontypridd, but last night's game did not provide him with a real test. He allowed two goals to go through, one of which he might have saved, but, on the other hand, he made one or two good clearances. Thompson, the new right back from Leicester Fosse, and Harrison, the outside left from the same club, was by no means unsatisfactory, and Nuttall, late of Manchester United, also put in some useful work. One of the most prominent of the younger players was Challinor, who proved himself a most resourceful right half, and T. Page, who led the Whites' attack, is a bare worker. Last season's regular players, with out unduly exerting themselves, were found to be in good trim.

It was pleasing to see Tom Browell quite recovered from the serious injury he sustained to his ankle towards the close of last season. His leg seemed perfectly strong again, and the three goals he scored put him on good terms with the crowd. Special mention might also be made of Beare, who showed up well in the second half. There would be fully 10,000 spectators present, and a really interesting game was witnessed. The Blues team consisted of most of last season's regular players, with Turner and Palmer. Quite early in the game Palmer caught the eye with his clever sprints and accurately placed centres. It was a pass by Palmer that enabled Bradshaw to head over to Browell, who opened the score with a capital drive. Three goals were added in quick time. Weller equalised for the Whites with a close range shot, and after Wareing had scored for the Blues Turner was again beaten with a low shot from Page. This was all the scoring in the first half, and neither of the custodians had much to do, both sets of backs more than holding their own. The Whites had certainly had a fair share of the attack, the younger players generally showing keenness. In the second half the Blues had much the better of the argument, and Beare was repeatedly cheered for clever sprints. It was from one of his centres that Browell added a third goal, and the fourth goal by the same player was the result of a fine individual effort. The Blues finally won by four goals to two. The teams were : - Blues: - Turner goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Palmer, forwards. Whites: - Hodge, goal, Thompson, and Fulton, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Kirby, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnson and Harrison, forwards.

Athletic News -Monday 25 August 1913
By Junius.
MANY changes have been made at Goodison Park in the hope of obviating a repetition of the disappointing experiences of last season. No fewer than twelve new players have been engaged by the club since the advent of May, while a similar number of old members were notified that their services would not be required. In more than one respect last winter was a disheartening one for the club’s supporters. Repeated reverses at home were attributed, in some quarters, to the lack of harmony on the directorate, and during the past four months some significant changes have occurred on the board of management. Every Evertonian is now hopeful that better things are in store for them during the coming campaign. Chief interest is, of course, being centred on the new comers. Two goalkeepers have been secured in G. Turner, who played for Pontypridd, and F. Mitchell, from Motherwell.' One season sufficed for Caldwell, but Hodge and Bromilow have been retained. The full back department has also received attention, three defenders —J. Fulton, Greenock Morton, R. Thompson, Leicester Fosse, and W. Stalker, Dunipace—having been signed. Each man has displayed promising form in the practice games, and the club has certainly plenty of choice for this division. In the half-back line, Louie Weller will resume after a season at Chesterfield, and much will be expected from Chaloner, obtained near the close of last year from Witton Albion, after his fine displays in the preliminary trials. Kirby-a local—hailing from Egremont, Is a useful player, and all the old favourites are available for places in the first team. The list of forwards has been almost entirely rearranged, for Davidson, Uren, Smith, Gourlay, Gault, Robinson, Graham, and Murray have all departed to fresh pastures. Palmer, of Bristol Rovers, and Harrison, Leicester Fosse, have been engaged for the outride left berth, and Nuttall, formerly of Manchester United, as an inside forward. T. Page is a local youth who  played for Rochdale at centre-forward, and  amongst those secured during the second half of last season are Houston, from Linfield, L. Johnson, Blythe Spartans, H. Johnson, local, and W. Wright, Egremont. A young amateur from Switzerland, Lewin, has also offered his services to the club.  There is abundance of material here, and Everton appear to be better equipped as regards players than they were twelve months ago.  Amongst the players who have departed are Holbem to St. Mirren, Gourlay to Greennock Morton, Davidson to St. Mirren, Uren to Wrexham, and Gault to Stockport County.  Caldwell has returned to the South, while McCulloch and Graham have recrossed the Border.  Smith and A. Browell do not appear to have obtained situations.  As usual the ground is in splendid condition, no alterations have been found necessary.  The complete list of players engaged is as follows;-
Players - Birthplace, Position, heights and Weight.
W. Hodge, Kilwinning (goal) 5ft 8-11st 8lb
W. Bromilow, Liverpool (goal) 5ft 11- 9st 10ib
G. Turner, Bolton, (goal) 6ft -13st
F. Mitchell, Elgin (goal) 5ft -8 11st 7lb
W. Stevenson, Accrington (Right back) 5ft 9-12st
J.Macconnachie, Aberdeen (Left back) 5ft 9, 12st
J. Fulton, Glenfield (Right back) 5ft 8- 11st 7lb
R. Thompson, Scotswood (Left back) 5ft 8 -10st 7
W. Stalker, Brig of Allan (Right back) 5ft 8-10st 7
J. Page, Liverpool (right back) 5ft 8lb- 11st
R. Simpson, Redcar (Left back) 5ft 5lb- 9st 13
V. Harris, Dublin (Right half-back) 5ft 8- 10st 8
W. Warering, Southport (centre half-back) 5ft 9- 11st
T. Fleetwood, Kirkby, (centre half-back) 5ft 8-11st 13
H. Makepeace, Middlesbrough (Left half-back) 5ft 7- 11st
A. Grenyer, North Shields (Left half-backs) 5ft 11, 12st 2
L. Weller, Stoke (Left half-backs) 5ft-10- 11st 10lb
F. Kirkby, Seacombe (Left half-back) 5ft -7-11st 5
S. Chaloner, Middleswich (right half-back) 5ft 10-11st
W. Wright, Liverpool (Inside forward) 5ft 7- 11st -10
G. Beare, Southampton (Out-right) 5ft-5- 10st
F. Jefferis, Fording Bridge (Inside right) -5ft 8- 10st-13
T. Browell, Walbottle (centre forward) 5ft-9 -11st 7
F. Bradshaw, Sheffield (Inside left) 5ft-8 -10st -13
S. Chedgzoy, Ellesmere Port (Outside-right) 5ft-8- 10st 5
J. Houston, Belfast (outside-right) 5ft-6 -9st 12
J. Brannick, Manchester (Inside right) 5ft 5- 10st 3
L. Johnson, Blythe (Inside-left) 5ft-6- 9st 11
T. Page, Liverpool (Centre-forward), 5ft 6-9st 4
T. Nuttall, Manchester (Inside-right) 5ft -7- 10st 4
W. Palmer, Barnsley, (outside left) 5ft -8 11st -8
G. Harrison, (Outside left) 5ft -7- 11st -2
H. Johnson, Liverpool (Inside right) 5ft 9-10st 4
J. Levin, Switzerland (Inside forward) 5ft 7- 12st-2

August 25 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton hold their second practice game at Goodison Park, on Saturday, and curiously enough what might be described as the full League team was beaten by the own goal in three by the Reserve eleven, which included most of the new men. It would be quite wrong, however, to say that the Whites were the better team. Their success was not so much due to a brilliant all-round display, but rather to the individual excellence of several of the players. The Whites had largely to thank their custodian for their avoidance of defeat. It was the first appearance of Mitchell, the young Scottish keeper, and he certainly came up to the highest expectations. Everton's prime need at the present time is a first class goalkeeper, and while Turner has yet to prove himself worthy of the position, Mitchell gave a most encouraging display on his first appearance. He is of much lighter build than Turner, but exceedingly ligther and quick in his movements, and absolutely fearless. On Saturday he saved all manner of shots from Browell and his colleagues, and he was only beaten by a storming penalty shot from Macconnachie. The Whites were also particularly well served by the two new backs. Thompson and Fulton, both of whom were sturdy and resourceful. The 14,000 or 15,000 spectators present were provided with a most interesting display. The clever footwork of the Blues forwards was pretty to watch, even though no goals were forthcoming. Beare, Jefferis, and Harris worked together with a captial precision, and Browell was a sound leader, putting in a number of fast shots. Palmer, the new outside left, was not so prominent as in the first practice game. No fault could be found with the halves, and backs, but Turner was not seen at his best. Both of the Whites' goals were scored by Page, who, although lacking in weight, is a hard worker and always on the alert for openings. Houston, at outside left did nothing notable until near the end, when he several times outwitted Macconnachie and sent in some well-directed shots. It was from one of his centres that Page gave the Whites their winning goal. Fleetwood once again demonstrated his usefulness, and Challinor was a capable right half. The Whites were the first to score. Turner had rushed out, but failed to get the ball when Page placed into the net. Macconnachie equalised from a penalty kick awarded through Thompson handling when Browell seemed a certain scorer. Page added a second goal for the Whites, who won by two goals to one. Teams: - Blues: - Turner, goal, Stevenson and Macconnachie (Captain), Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Palmer, forwards. Whites: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Fulton, backs, Challinor, Fleetwood, and Kirby, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, Page, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards.

Derby Sign Henderson
AUGUST 28, 1913 Nottingham Evening Post
J.T. Henderson, an inside-left, who hails from Bootle, has played for Everton Reserves, is 5ft 8ins, in height and has a displacement of 10st 10lb.


September 2, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton came near to losing their opening home match with Burnley, and had the Turf Moor team won, no one would have begrudged them their victory. It was a dour struggle all though and the 25,000 or more spectators included several thousand from East Lancashire, were provided with plenty of thrills. The one signal weakness was the inability of both sets of forwards to shoot straight and at the right moment. The Burnley keeper had more actual shots to stop than Mitchell, but on the other hand Everton were distinctly lucky on several occasions, the ball striking the woodwork of the net on a least four occasions, and Macconnachie making one lucky save with his head when a goal seemed certain. Burnley were slightly the better team taking the game on the whole. Their forwards were quicker on the ball, and played with greater precision than the Everton front line. Their footwork and passing was at times very pretty to watch, but a lot of good work in the open went to waste through inaccurate shooting. The Everton front line did not show up as well as one would have liked to have seen it. Except for one or two brief periods they did not put enough vim into their work. They allowed themselves to be robbed rather easily, and there was not that complete understanding between the forwards which is so necessary to overcome a resourceful pair of backs such as Burnley possess. Both sides were rarely strong in defence and one could not help but admire the determined tactics of both sets of halves. Boyle, the Burnley centre half, was a tower of strength, and he kept an ever watchful eye on Browell, while Freeman was not allowed to be unduly prominent, owing to the close attention he received from Wareing. It was a pity the game was not started earlier for the closing stages were played in semi-darkness, and from any of the stands it was quite impossible to keep the ball in sight during the last ten minutes play.

In the early stages of the game Burnley were the more dangerous side, and their forwards played with a lively dash, which was entirely lacking in the Everton front line. Bellamy struck the side of the net with a strong shot, and on two occasions Freeman came near to scoring. From a free kick Husband sent the ball right in front and Freeman's dash goalwards caused the ball to run across the goalmouth and pass outside Freeman made another valiant effort a second or two later, and he drove in, but fortunately for Everton the ball cannoned outside. A beautiful centre by Beare might have led to disaster, but Dawson swing forward and drove out with his fist. The Burnley keeper next had to save from Grenyer, and shots by Browell and Bradshaw went yards too high. Everton had a particularly narrow escape just before the interval. Bellamy from a corner kick, placed right in front, and the ball appeared to glance off Stevenson's head amongst the players. It was smartly returned by Hodgson from a few yards' range, and Macconnachie, who had fallen back into goal, kept the ball out with his head when Mitchell was powerless to save. The commencement of the second half saw the Everton forwards showing greater dash, and Beare in particular was very sprightly, and he gave Dawson two, hot shots to stop. The Burnley forwards never slackened in their efforts and first Husband and then Bellamy were unlucky in striking the side posts. The opening goal by Burnley was scored when the second half had been in progress 26 minutes. It was the result of a clever individual effort by Bellamy, who, after rounding several opponents placed into the net well out of the reach of Mitchell. From the centre kick Everton swept down on the Burnley goal, and Browell delighted the crowd with a swift straight drive, which Dawson saved in clever fashion. Mitchell made three smart saves, and Freeman had an open goal, only to bang the ball against the upright. Everton equalising goal came ten minutes from the end, and it was the outcome of a most exciting scrimmage. Dawson had to fall full length to save from Jefferis, and he had not got the ball away when the Everton forwards rushed up in a body. There he lay a yard from the goal with the ball tightly elapsed to his body, and surrounded by players. The referee ordered a throw up right in the jaws of the goal, and although the ball was partially got away, Browell recovered possession, and in the failing light Dawson had no chance to save his swift low shot. Freeman made a valiant effort just before the finish to give his side the victory, and from his centre Hustband struck the crossbar.

As already mentioned, Everton were lucky not to be beaten, and it could not be said that the forwards covered themselves with glory. Beare was the pick of the line, and he and Jefferis worked well together, while Browell put in a lot of good work. The left wing was not at all satisfactory. Bradshaw was inclined to wander, and he stuck to the ball too long, while the new winger Palmer was also faulty. Besides being slow in getting away he showed poor judgement in his centring. The Everton backs especially Macconnachie were shaky at the start, but they improved as the game advanced. The half-backs played a hard game and Wareing showed good judgement in feeding the forwards. Both Grenyer and Harris were not seen at their best in this respect. Mitchell the new Everton keeper, had not a lot of work to do, but in the second half he made three great saves. Dawson had more actual shots to stop, and he proved himself a custodian of great ability. Burnley posses a sound pair of backs in Bamford and Taylor. The latter is very speedy, and he several times earned applause of clever work. No fault could be found with the visitors halves. Boyle at centre half being one of the most prominent players on the field. Freeman led the Burnley attack with measure judgement. He was most unselfish in his way and took a lot of watching. Bellamy and Husband were speedy and clever on the wings, and Hodgson and Lindley were not lacking in resource. The gate receipts amounted to £1,000. The teams were : - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Stevenson and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Palmer, forwards. Burnley: - Dawson, goal, Bamford, and Taylor backs, Halley, Boyle, and Watson, half-backs, Bellamy, Lindley Freeman, Hodgson, and Husband, forwards. Referee T.C. Campell

September 2 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
At Burnley in the presence of quite 8,000 spectators. The game was very fast and full of interesting incidents. Pickering opened the scoring for Burnley, and ten minutes later Nutall equalised. Soon afterwards Harrison placed Everton ahead, but before the interval Pickering put Burnley on level terms, and the teams crossed over two goals each. After resuming Nesbitt gave Burnley the lead, and a few minutes later Pickering completed the “hat-trick,” while just before the close Pickering scored again following a free kick.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 04 September 1913
Last night the committee of the Heywood United Football Club signed on a clever centre half named Andy Browell. Bowell last season played with Everton, previously playing with Hull City.

September 5, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Heywood United club has made a capable addition to its ranks in gaining the capture of Andy Browell from Everton. As was the case with his brother, he came to the from Hull City, in which club Everton secured him at a transfer fee of £800 a couple of seasons ago, and more than one occasion he played a Everton's first League side, and through he never came up to the high opinions entertain of him, he is sure to be of good service to his new masters, to whom he will make his debut against Northwich Victoria on Saturday. His only appearances was against Manchester City at Hyde road in season 1912-13.

Everton’s Trials
Athletic News - Monday 08 September 1913
The Everton eleven have had two public trials during the week, curiously enough against the two promoted teams. On Monday they met Burnley for the first time during several years, and had the luck share the spoils game in a which the referee, Mr. T. P. Campbell, has described as one of the cleanest, most chivalrous, and most interesting matches that he has seen for some years. Everton managed to save themselves by a curious goal, for Dawson fell on the ball, which was locked in his arm, with Bradshaw trying to kick it out of his grasp. There was no dangerous play, but when one of the Everton men charged into Bradshaw with the idea of opening out the situation, Mr. Campbell decided to throw the ball down. The Evertonians claimed a foul, but how could the referee give a free kick for an act by one Everton man on another?  When the ball was thrown down Bamford sliced it, and it went across the goal to Tom Browell, who scored with a rare shot. ’Twsa a very quaint appeal for a free kick and a still more curious goal. But if Everton could not master Burnley, who played well, they confirmed the impressions of last season that Preston were not so clever as Burnley in spite of their relative positions the table of merit. Two goals against such a defence as Preston can offer is by no means a poor reward, even if the game was not thrilling.

Athletic News - Monday 08 September 1913
After a tame, uneventful first half, which concluded without either goalkeeper being fully extended, Preston North End and Everton provided some capital form in the second half, which was full of incident.  A draw of one goal each was a fitting conclusion to a hard fought game.  Marshall (Preston) and Page (Everton) scoring.  The defence on both sides prevailed.  Vickers showing up finely in the North End goal, and Turner and Fulton were the pick of the Everton defence.  Fleetwood played hard at centre half, and Chedgzoy showed excellent footwork, and made some strong raids along the Everton left.  Page led the attack skillfully, but paid too little attention to the outside rule; while on the North End side Henderson showed resource and feeding ability at left half, and Marshall and Pinch played finely amongst the forwards. 

Athletic News - Monday 08 September 1913
Everton 2 Preston North End 0
The Junius
OWING to some strange freak of Fortune Everton, in their first two League games of the season, were pitted against the promoted clubs from the Second Division, the prime results being that they acquired three points and enriched their exchequer by £1,875.  Considered from this standpoint, it will be generally conceded that the club has started the winter’s programme in a most suspicious fashion; but beyond this there is little for jubilation. Everton were fortunate in not being beaten by Burnley in the opening match, and I cannot say that the quality of their football showed much improvement in the fixture with the Preston eleven. In both games the forward work left much to be desired; it required no stretch of the imagination to believe that there had been no close season, but that the team had simply continued as before, exhibiting all the old failings and giving no signs of improvement. Everton’s attack was of a scrambling character, and though there were glimpses of better results forthcoming from the left wing, the right counter-balanced this by descending to a lower level of efficiency. The forwards never conveyed the ideal that their essential function was to score goals.
These Everton forwards gave the Preston custodian little cause for uneasiness in the first half, and the only shot that tested him was one from Browell just before the interval. There was a little improvement on the left wing. Bradshaw accomplished many skillful moves, heading the ball cleverly to his partner, and affording him more opportunities of making headway than was the case in the game with Burnley. Palmer responded to these inducements with greater alacrity than before, and it may be that a more extensive acquaintance will lead to better results from this part of the forward division. Somewhat simply remarks will apply to the half-back division, which has almost invariably constituted Everton’s strength.  While acting assiduously in checking the onslaughts of the North End forwards, and breaking up their most menacing advances, the Everton trio did not play their own men so skillfully and accurately as usual. They have in the past set up a high standard of ability, and by this they must judged.  Wareing, in a quiet way, was effective against his former clubmates,  while Harris and Grenyer accomplished much useful work, but the half-backs and forwards have yet to settle down to concerted action. Maconnachie and Stevenson wore sound full- backs: they were not extended unduly, and found it a fairly easy matter to drive back the opposition.   Yet, strange to relate, the Everton custodian (Mitchell) had more difficult shots to stop than the Preston keeper, and the manner in which he dealt with them was most gratifying. He anticipated danger, and placed himself readily for the oncoming shot, while he caught the ball cleanly and repelled danger in a fashion that merited the applause it received.
The North End forwards were not a convincing line, for their attacks were spasmodic, and often easily diverted. On occasions, Halliwell showed a capacity for testing the goalkeeper, and twice in the early stages of the game came near to scoring. Osborn was also prominent in this respect, but as a body the forwards were not a success. The extreme wingers did not exhibit much resource, and their best work came in patches, pretty widely separated by stretches of frail and futile footwork.  The half backs were a capital trio, McCall and Holdsworth excelling by reason of the fact that they were consistently clever. Dawson was responsible for many meritorious moves, and also for some bad ones, but the other pair scarcely blundered all. Holdsworth, who also shaped finely, was injured near the finish and retired.  Rodway proved a serviceable defender, and by his timely interceptions nipped in the bud many attempted moves that might otherwise have caused trouble.  As usual, he kicked sturdily, and was more effective than his partner, though the latter kept the Everton left wing well under control, Taylor was not overburdened with work, but he was caught napping when Everton gained their second goal.  Nothing of a tangible character was recorded in the first half, but three minutes after the change of ends some neat exchanges of ends some neat exchanges on the Everton right ended in Jefferis racing in and scoring a grand goal.  Ten minutes from the finish Beare centred, and Jefferis hooked the ball into goal, Taylor caught it, but before he could throw away Bradshaw charged him over the line, thereby providing his side with a second point.  Each custodian was called upon to save after this, but Everton won by two clear goals.  Everton; Mitchell; Stevenson, Macconnachie (captain) ; Harris, Wareing, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Palmer.  Preston North End; Taylor; McFayden, Rodway; Holdsworth, McCall, Dawson; Morley, Green, Halliwell, Osborn, and G.H. Barlow.  Referee; C. R. Hall, Birmingham. 

September 8, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
There was nothing to enthuse about in Everton's second home display. Preston North End proved themselves but a moderate combination, but for all that they were little less inferior to the Everton team. The game was never dull but it was more after the style of Second Division football than what one express from First Division teams. There was an abundance of energy, and the players were determined enough, but the finer points of the game were entirely lacking. In the early stages, the Everton forwards shared the same weakness as the visiting front line. They allowed forceful play in the open to go to waste through sheer ineptness in front of goal. Time, after, the Everton forwards worked themselves into a scoring position, only for the ball to be sent aimlessly wide. Browell spoil several clever individual efforts by sending over the bar, and Beare was given a number of good openings, but he could do anything but shoot straight. The result was that although the Preston backs were time after time placed in difficulties. Taylor the keeper had no really difficult shots to stop. The Preston forwards had quite as much of the attack as Everton and although they found the home backs hard to bent, they gained several openings, and both Halliwell and Osborn got in straight drives, which Mitchell saved in a manner which earned him ringing applause.

The Everton forwards were more purposeful in the second half, and after scoring within three minutes they never lost command of the game. Beare, in no way disheartened by his unhappy experience earlier on finished a clever sprint by placing accurately for Jefferis, who scored with a swift low drive. It was the best shot of the game, and Taylor had no chance of saving. The scoring of Everton's second goal was somewhat remarkable. Beare had again beaten Dawson, and Jefferis directed his centre towards goal. Taylor caught the ball, but before he could get rid of it Bradshaw had charged him over the line, and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a goal. The Preston forwards kept pegging away manfully, and Mitchell had more than one difficult shot to stop. The Everton goal had one particularly narrow escape, a low shot being put in from close range, whilst Mitchell kept out with his foot.

The most encouraging feature of Everton's display was the clever work of Mitchell. The young Scottish keeper, gives promise of being a custodian of more than average ability, and on Saturday he displayed great coolness, and sureness in dealing with all manner of difficult situations. The Everton attack did show some slight advance on Monday's display, but still the line as a whole did not shot that complete understanding that is necessary to success. Browell is in good trim, and he distributed the attack with sound judgement, and was always alert for openings. Beare and Jefferis were not near so effective as on Monday, but Bradshaw and Palmer worked better together on the left wing. Bradshaw was less selfish, and Palmer showed greater resource and was more accurate in his centre. No fault could be found with the Everton halves as regards defence, but they were much less satisfactory in providing their forwards with openings. Macconnachie was the best of the backs, his powerful returns being of great assistance to the forwards. For Preston, the burly Rodway played a great game at left back, showing sound judgement in his anticipations. McCall was a most resolute centre half, and Holdsworth was a hard worker. The Preston forwards were never more than moderate. Barlow was distinctly weak at outside left, and Morley was not seen at his best. Halliwell was the best of the line, and Osborn, on his maiden display in league football, was by no means disappointing. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal Stevenson, and MaConnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Palmer forwards. Preston North End: - Taylor, goal, McFedyen, and Rodway, backs, Holdsworth, McCall, and Dawson, half-backs, Morley, Green, Halliwell, Osborn, and Barlow, forwards. Referee C.R. Hall.

September 8, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton Reserves played their second away match at Preston, and this time managed to secure a point. While the first half was rather lacking in incident, there was a capital exhibition in the second stage. Marshall opened the scoring for the North-enders ten minutes after the change of ends, but Page put the teams on a level footing again, and the result was a draw of one goal each. Attendance was about 4,000. Everton: - Turner, goal, Thompson, and Fulton. backs, Challinor, Fleetwood, and Weller, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards.
Also Everton “A” against Southport Park Villa Teams is Bromilow, Lewis (Swedish player), and Walker, backs, Johnson, Kirby, and Simpson half-back, Dobson, Brannick, Howarth, Williams, and Wright, forward.

September 11, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
A crowd of 8,000 spectators saw Liverpool Reserves beat Everton Reserves at Anfield last evening, in a Central League match. The teams were: - Liverpool Reserves: - E. Scott, goal, Grayer, and Speakman, backs, J. Scott, Lowe, and Wadsworth, half-backs, Staniforth, Stewart, White, Bovill, and McKinlay, forwards. Everton Reserves: - Turner, goal, Thompson, and Fulton, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, Fleetwoiod, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards. The initial half was not overcrowded with brilliant football, and excitement did not rise to great height, even though the game was in its infancy when Lowe scored from a corner placed by McKinlay. The second goal of the half fell to Bovill, who had fallen back a trifle and thereby received a bad centre from Staniforth. Makepeace was injured through his own goalkeeper falling upon him. Fleetwood from a bad angle tested E. Scott, and Houston followed suit with a rousing shot. It needs a terrific shot to beat this excellent young goalkeeper. McKinlay with a long deceiving shot was unlucky. Although the half was greatly disappointing. The second portion opened with the Everton defence hesitating and nearly causing a goal. Everton gained a nice position when J. SCOTT stopped Fleetwood. However, the Liverpool defence is a dour one, and Lowe in addition was playing capital football. McKinlay desired to score with a long shot, and Turner approached the ball badly, the ball rolling up to his shoulder. He was quick to redeem his error. Nuttall should have scored when Harrison centred ably, and the reason of his failure was to be found in the fact that he did not get a true kick at the face of the ball. Houston was pulled up when foulded –a case of the innocent being penalised, as he had not lost his balance and was rushing on to goal –and later the same player centred well, on co-forward managing to get his head to the ball. Everton had the better of matters for some time now, although the Marlborough Old Boys centre, White tried a shot from good range, the ball passing just over. The trial of the local centre was not successful, as he was plainly out of condition. He seems to be able to drive a ball hard. Johnson sent the best shot of the match, and it was a wonderful save that Scott made. Ten minutes from time Johnson started a movement and ended it with a ground shot after the right wing had helped. Scott threw himself at Johnson's shot, but was unable to prevent it passing over for a goal. The game now became thoroughly interesting, and Everton made sterling efforts to steal an equaliser, but were held up.

September 13, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
A change has had to be made in the Everton attack for the match at Newcastle. Yesterday it was announced that Bradshaw had met with an injury at Practice, and he was unable to travel to Newcastle with the team. Fleetwood will be included at centre forward, Browell going inside left. Makepeace accompanied the party as reserve. Everton will certainly have to show an advance on their two opening displays. The changed are that the United will add to their long list of success against Everton. They have not won at Newcastle since September 30, 1911. Newcastle have had to reshuffle their front line, owing to Cooper injuries, McDonald crossing over to the outside right, and George Wilson returning to outside left.

Athletic News - Monday 15 September 1913
Considerable stir has been caused in Preston football circles this week-end by the fact that Mr. R.E. Smalley, the old Everton goalkeeper, who joined the North end Board at the annual meeting of 1912 as the nominee of the Shareholders’ Committee, formed to infuse new spirit into the management of the club, sent in his resignation as a director as a protest against what he looks upon as the wrong policy of his colleagues.  The immediate cause of his action was the decision of the majority of the directors to return to the old Second Division forward line, which meant the exclusion of Osborn, the ex-Leicester forward, who is the only recruit likely to get a place in the attack, and who played capital football at Goodison Park.  The directors held a special meeting on Friday night to discuss the situation thus created, and decided to ask Mr. Smalley to reconsider his attitude.  It would be useless to burke the fact the public opinion is decidedly against the directors although it is generally felt that Mr. Smalley would be well advised, in the interests of the club to meet his colleagues and rejoin the Board.  The great stumbling block to the progress of North End football in modern times has been not only a lack of money, but a lack of enterprise on the directorate, and at time when the club are on a wane of enthusiasm such as they have not known since the swelling days of the great team, it was surely a mistake to revert to a forward line that only scored 56 goals in the Second Division, not nearly enough to have gained promotion had it not been for the super-excellence of the defence. 

Athletic News - Monday 15 September 1913
Having extracted but one point from their first three League games, all away from home, Everton were anxious to strike a winning vein when they entertained Bury at Goodison Park.  They accomplished this by three goals to one, and fully deserved their success.  Houston, at outside right gave further evidence of his skill.  He ran and centred cleverly, and along with Harrison bore off the honours in attack.  As a wing, the left showed a better understanding then the right.  Harrison and Brannick scored for Everton before the interval after which Wilson reduced the lead, but Brannick scored a third near the finish.  Chalmer was a capable half-back, and Thomson defended sturdily at right full-back.  For Bury Meadowcroft proved useful on the extreme right, while Allan was prominent in the rear division. 

Athletic News - Monday 15 September 1913
Newcastle United 0, Everton 1
By Northumbrian.
Without a doubt Everton were well worthy of the spoils in the opening match at St. James’s Park, Newcastle, on Saturday, when 30,000 spectators paid tribute to the good services rendered to the Tyneside club by James Stewart and Scott Duncan.  These players, who did not figure in the game, and whom remour – as yet unverified –connects with an early departure into Scottish football, received guarantees from the club of 500 each, and this amount would perhaps just be reached by the gate receipts.  To revert to the game, however, Everton were worthy victors, though the quality of the play neither did justice to the men of Goodison nor their beaten foes.  For one thing the somewhat treacherous surface caused by heavy rain during the night hampered accuracy of movement, and for another, with both teams compelled to undergo changes from the previous week, the game never seemed to settle down to anything approaching smoothness.  To be sure Newcastle gave promise of distinct recovery in the early minutes of the second half, but that promise was not fulfilled, and as the play ran Everton were sounder in defence and more speedy and enterprising in attack.  The only goal of the game as a matter of fact, came from what could be described as the only real concerted movement.  This was after sixteen minutes, when Beare, racing ahead after Harris’s forward pass along the touchline, outpaced Hudspeth and swung across a beautifully judged centres.  Neither Fleetwood nor Browell could reach the ball, but Palmer, closing in from the extreme wing, was enterprising enough to take it on the full volley and drive it sweetly into the net at a pace which gave Lawrence not the slightest chance of sighting it. 
Tom Browell Plays Well
So far as the Everton forwards were concerned, they were a curious mixture of occasional brilliance and general inconsistency.  Palmer, at outside left, did little but score that deciding goal, but his partner, Browell, stood out as the most effective forward worker in the match in spite of the command which James Hay seemed to exercise over him in the first half.  Fleetwood at centre forward, bustled energetically and occasionally distributed the ball well, but contented himself chiefly with harrying the Newcastle defenders.  Jefferis had not a great deal to show for a lot of hard work, and Beare whose dash provided the foundations to Everton’s winning point, tapered off from brilliance in the opening half to mediocrity afterwards.  Everton were certainly well served at half-back, where the breezy Irishman, Harris was in best vein.  Certainly his efforts in support of the attack were better than those of either Wareing or Grenyer.  Yet Wareing was stubborn and solid in defence, and the ex-Tynesider, Grenyer, reveled in spoiling the best laid schemes of John King.  The auburn-haired Macconnachie was beyond doubt the defender of the match.  His kicking revealed magnificent judgment, and he wasted never the ball.  Stevenson was not quite so artistic, and seemed erratic under pressure, but never did anything which a good recovery could not retrieve.  Mitchell in goal was faultless, and Everton’s merit, indeed, lay largely in defence.  The absence of Bradshaw doubtless unsettled their attacks to some extent.
Newcastle Misfortunes
Unfortunately Newcastle had been rather hard hit by accidents in the players’ Union benefit match at St. James’s on Wednesday as the result of which Cooper and McDonald were injured.  With Hewison, who recently had been tried as an experiment at outside right, also on the injured list, the Novocastrains had to reshuffle their attack, and Hibbert was placed at outside right, and Goodwill a promising Seaton Delaval recruit, making his debut at outside left.  Hibbert did some remarkable useful things in the first half, as did Goodwill, who however, palpably developed nervousness in the second half.  He will, under different circumstances, certainly come on.  But after Hibbert and King had worked well enough together in the first half it was surely an extraordinarily bad move afterwards to bring Hibbert to inside right, where he frequently felt the weight of Wareing’s lusty shoulders, and leave King practically wasting his ability as schemer and initiator generally at outside right.  The greatest fault of Newcastle forwards was weak marksmanship.  Hall hardly played so well as he did at Sunderland, but Wilson was successful in providing a number of opportunities for his youthful colleagues.  It was, however, an uneven and erractic Newcastle attack, which the reconstruction at the interval emphatically did not improve.  Hay played splendidly at half-back though sometimes falling into the general habit of keeping the ball in the air.  Low tackled like his old self, and Finlay, despite most of a decided superiority in pace, was artistic enough, and effective too.  The Newcastle defence, however, struck one as lacking in pace, and when McCracken sustained a slight injury in the last twenty minutes the impression was emphasized.  Hudspeth was much below his Sunderland form, without being a source of weakness.  Lawrence kept a brilliant goal, being the most pleasing feature from a Newcastle point of view.  Newcastle United; Lawrence; McCracken, Hudspeth; Jay, Low, Finlay; Hibbert, King, Hall, Wilson, and Goodwill.  Everton; Mitchell; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Wareing, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell, and Palmer.  Referee; H. Swift, Sheffield. 

September 15, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team opened their away from the home games in great style by vanquishing the Tynesides, who a week previously had sprung a big surprise upon their neighbours at Sunderland in past seasons the Novcastrians have enjoyed a big pull over the Goodison team, for in the thirty one games in which the clubs have taken Everton, including Saturday's contest, have triumphed on but nine occasions in the matches of representation the respective forward lines had perforce, owing to injuries to undergo changes, and while the home team were perhaps harder , but owing to the inability of McDonald and Cooper to take their positions, Fleetwood had to be brought in as the pivot of the Everton attack, and Bowell moved to inside left, and the change, so far as the Blues were concerned, worked out to advantage, for increased vitality was imported into their playing and while work of the line as a bodily had much to do in achieving success. The game could not be any stretched of the imagination be described as carried out on scientific lines, but what was lacking in this respect was more than compensated for by earnestness of the players from start to finish, and in this matter the Evertonians showed the more grit, and were justly entitled to the honours of the game. There was a better understanding all along the forward line than had obtained in previous games, combined with a decided improvement in half back play. There formations linked up admirably; and if their final efforts were not so successful as one would wish, it was due to the determined nature of the opposition with which they were confronted.

Though not a brilliant combination, there could be no mistaking the fact that great possibilities may arise from such a side as represented the Everton club on Saturday. Particularly was this the case among the forwards who though beaten on occasions, never relaxed their efforts in the direction of recovery, and in the majority of cases they achieved their purpose. The play was better distributed than on any previous occasions this season, and in moving Browell to inside left with Fleetwood in the centre, there was stiffening in the attack that mainly accounted for the success of the team. Such was not the case on the United side, for the forwards rarely settled down to concerted action, and though there were times when they did get into a dangerous stride, their final efforts were not of the class usually associated with the club. Defensive play was sound on both sides, yet here again the Evertonians carried off the slight margin of honours in this respect, and none that followed the game closely could honestly begrudge the Blues their victory.

Palmer scored the only goal of the match after play had been in progress a quarter of an hour. The ex-Bristol Rover player was more at home than in previous games. Still, he has yet to approximate the standard he served up in the cup-tie last season. Though the goal was credited to Palmer, Beare, who, throughout the game was in great form, provided the opening. He was unlucky with several shots after flashing along the wing and cutting in while his general work in conjunction with Jefferis and Fleetwood was an outstanding feature of the game. The inside right's footwork was clever, but he was well marked, and with regard to Fleetwood all was bustle, and actively with him. On one occasion he threaded his way through a trio of opponents and finished up with a left foot drive that only missed the mark by the merest share, and all round his inclusion proved a big asset to his club. Naturally a keen eye was kept on Browell, still he was very effective, and frequently upset the calculations of the home halves by distributing the play when other tactics were anticipated. He got better results out of Palmer, and it is quite clear that if the centre-forward position can be kept up to standard. Browell's services at inside left will be invaluable. The whole line worked well, and when occasions arose they dropped book to the assistance of the defence with good results.

As indicated, the half-backs played a fine resourceful game, while further behind Macconnachie was on the top of his form, and everyone who has followed Everton football knowns, what that means. His anticipation of opponents' movements was accurate throughout, and on two occasions when the situation appeared hopeless he took risks and saved his keeper; Stevenson too, was in good trim, and allowed no quarter, while Mitchell gave further evidence of his ability as a class keeper, McCracken and Hudspeth were a sterling set of defenders, who covered Lawrence with marked judgement. Finlay was the best in the halfway line though Hay was often prominent with several smart shots. Goodwill whose debut it was in League football, played fairly well on the extreme left, but Hibbert was not a success at outside right, and King failed to repeat his early successes. Hall was a capable centre; and at times in conjunction with the ex-Evertonian, Wilson, proved a source of uneasiness to the Everton defenders. Thirty thousand spectators witnessed the game with keen interest, and it was this popular opinion that the Everton players fully deserved their victory. Teams: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Hudspeth, backs, Hay, Low, and Finlay, half-backs, Hibbert, King Hall, Wilson, and G. Wilson, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell, and Palmer, forwards. Referee L. Swift.

September 15, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
In their first home fixture Everton defeated Bury by 3 goals to 1. It was an interesting match, with plenty of thrilling incidents, but the Blues were always the better team, and fully deserved their victory. The principal feature of the match was the display of Harrison at outside left. The ex-Leicester Fosse man displayed plenty of pace and skill, and sent across numerous dangerous centres which were a menace to the Bury goal. Johnson also played a useful game, and plied Harrison judiciously, but the right wing was not so prominent. Houston being off colour. The half backs played a good steady game, and Challinor looks like developing into a class men. Thomson and Fulton were strong and reliable backs, while Turner in goals always inspired confidence. The Bury men were rather overshadowed by the cleverness of the home team, with the exception of Bullen, who proved himself to be a player of more than the average ability. Everton scored twice in the initial half, though Harrison and Brannick, and in the second moiety Wilson scored for Bury, while Brannick added a third for the Blues. Everton: - Turner, goal, Thompson, and Fulton, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Kirby, half-backs, Houston, Brannick, Nuttall, Johnson and Harrison, forwards. Bury: - Foot, goal, Whatmough, and Allan, backs, Culshaw, R. Heap, and Bullen, half-backs, Meadowatt, Mercer, Kay, Wilson, and Dockrg, forwards.

September 18, 1913, The Liverpool Courier.
Not withstanding Everton's victory over Newcastle United on Tyreside last weekend, the directors like their neighbours have decided to make alterations. Bradshaw having recovered from his injury, resumes his position at inside left and he will be partnered by Harrison the ex-Leciester player, who as been showing good form with the reserves, to the inclusion of Palmer. Browell moves to his old position in the centre, so that the team selected by the directors at their meeting last night nigh as follows: - Mitchell, Stevenson, Macconnachie, Harris, Wareing, Greneyer, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, Harrison.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Friday 19 September 1913
A familiar figure at the Liverpool football ground has just passed away in the person of Mr. J. M. Elliott, who has been groundsman at the Anfield enclosure for 27 years, having held the same position when Everton were there.

September 20, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The 35 th meeting of the forces of Everton and Liverpool under the auspices of the League provided splendid entertainment for close upon 50,000 persons. The club met under somewhat unusual conditions. During the week the Liverpool directors had made drastic changes, and in the face of prospects of success were none too promising, as in all departments save goal there were afternoons, while on the Everton side. Harrison, the ex-Leicester player, was afforded an opportunity of displaying his skill with the hope that the left wing difficulty would meet with satisfactory solutions. Following these changes it was notified at the last moment that Peake who had been taken ill during the night would not be available, and thus there was a further reshuffling of the Liverpool halves, which, as events turned out, proved a blessing in disguise. The Anfielders won, as has become their fashion in recent games at Goodison Park, and though there was little indeed between the sides, the Reds could just lay claim top a slight margin of superiority in the forward line, while in every other department were quite equal to their rivals. But the happenings that led up to the scoring of the goals were somewhat curious, and it might safely be stated that none of the three points recorded during the game were stamped with the hallmark of excellence. They were what has come to be regarded as “grits,” but these were interlarded with brilliant efforts that would not have occasioned surprise had the respective keepers been more frequently defeated. Everton were badly hit when the deciding point was registered against them from a free kick, which should never have been conceded, and with no time for recovered their discomfiture was completed.

The contest provided the Liverpool team with their first victory, and at the same time Everton's initial defeat of the season. For the greater part of the game the Liverpool forwards were more incisive in their advances; their passing was good, and the attacks were well conceived and executed. On the other hand, Everton's methods were more confined, though the centre tried but vainly to make his forwards work with a semblance to cohesion. Their play bordered upon the individual effort, which can never be depended upon to bring success in its train, though there was a suspicious that they were none too well served by the half-backs, who have yet to approximate the standard set up in past seasons. There was not so effective a linking up between the two lines as was observable on the Liverpool side, and it was in this respect that the Anfielders could claim the advantage, which merited their final success. Defensive play reached a high standard on both sides and while there were many fine touches by the respective keepers, there were frailties that are rare in these keen tussles between local rivals.

With regard to the game generally, it was splendidly contested, cleanly fought, ably controlled with the one exception referred to, and worthy to rank among the many fine expositions that have been witnessed between the clubs. A hot pace was set from the start, and it was a tribute to training operations that throughout the whole period of play both sides stayed the course splendidly. During the early stages the Liverpool forwards were particularly sprightly, but those of Everton responded ably, and for quite a lengthy period there was little between the teams. An injury, to Grenyer reduced his effectiveness, and Goddard had quite a good time. Both keepers had several ticklish shots to deal with, and thirty-five minutes had gone by when Liverpool opened the scoring. This came as the result of a smart ground pass from Low to Miller, and as the home backs were taken by surprise. Mitchell came out to prevent the Liverpool centre from applying the final touch. He accomplished his object thus far, but had in judgement by putting the ball to the feet of Lacey, who drove into the untenanted goal. Following this Browell was out of luck with a couple of fine efforts, and the Anfielders retained their lead up to the interval. On resuming, the Everton forwards were the more aggressive, and after nine minutes' play succeeded in getting on level terms. Wareing was the executant, and to the surprise of many Campbell let the ball leave his grip, and though a second attempt was made to save the situation, it glanced off the upright into the net. This success served to stimulate the “Blues” to greater effort, and for some time they wore down the Liverpool defence. Still, though they held the bulk off the play, they were not so dangerous in the shooting zone as their opponents had been earlier on. They were however, the victims of ill-luck when Jefferis beat Campball all to pieces as the referee had whistled for infringement just outside the penalty line. This was one of the oronics of the game, and was rough on Jefferis, who had been clever enough to recover his equilibrium to apply the necessary touch. As if to emphasise Everton's misfortunes, a free kick was awarded without any apparent reason, and probably none was more surprised than Lacey, who on centreing the ball, saw it curl into the net, the Irishman, having thus recorded both points against his old club.

Coming to the players, and dealing first with Liverpool, one must congratulate the new inclusions upon their excellent performance. In Speakman the Liverpool club possess a type of exponent that can play his part well. Sturdy and fearless, yet withal axupulously fair in his methods, he created a very favourtable impression in this his first League experience and he gave every promise of proving a valuable assist to the club. Crawford too, played a wholehearted game and was a splendid cover for Campbell, who, though not unduly harassed, kept his change with his customary skill. It was as half-back where Liverpool showed a big advance upon previous exhibitions, and Low as the pivot simply excelled himself. While breaking up the opposition in effective fashion he, true to name, kept the ball low, and displayed a capital idea of the requirements of his forwards. Fairfoul showed an advance upon previous performance, and with Ferguson well up to standard the effectiveness of the half-play can be readily imagined. Miller was a capable leader, flanked by resourceful inside men. Stewart's control of the ball and daft touches to Goddard were sterling items, and many moons have passed since the work of the right wing was so strongly in evidence. At the other end Lacey and Gracie also showed good resource, and the team as constituted on Saturday can scarcely be improved upon. On the Everton side, Mitchell apart from the lapse refereed to, kept a good goal. One of his saves from Miller, who had eluded all opposition, was remarkably clever, but the ball that settled the issue apparently deceived him. Macconnachie and Stevenson were stalwart and untiring defenders, but the standard attained by the half backs was below the usual for Everton. They had the ball too much in the air, and their passing was often ill-directed, though allowances must be made in the case of Grenyer, who had a rude shaking up early in the game. Forwards play did not come up to popular expectation, for advances were fitful, and concerted movements was not by any means a strong part of their programme. Change of positions did not improve matters, but probably their effectiveness was due to comparative lack of support from those behind them. Harrison opened well in the first League trial, but he tapered off as the game progressed, and the left wing problem is yet unsolved. Browell was mainly prominent in efforts to score, and the right wing was not so trustful as in the game the previous week at Newcastle. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards. Liverpool: - Campbell, goal, Speakman, and Crawford, backs, Fairfoul, Lowe, and Ferguson, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Stewart, Mller, Gracie, and Lacey, forwards. Referee A. Pellowe.

Athletic News - Monday 22 September 1913
Everton 1, Liverpool 2
By Junius
BY the odd goal of three Liverpool defeated their neighborly rivals at Goodison Park, and the general run of the play just about deserved to secure the full quots of points. The changes which they made in their eleven proved most successful, but one which did not contemplate, and which was forced upon them, turned out be striking triumph. This was occasioned by the illness off Peake, who had perforce to stand down, and Lowe was drafted to the centre half-back berth, which he has filled in ranks of the reserve team to great advantage. He had no superior on the field in this match, and I should imagine Liverpool will be chary about displacing him even when the Welsh International is again available. Fairfoul came in at right half-back, and the full-back line was completely changed, Speakman making his debut in the League eleven, while Crawford made his initial appearance of the season for his club. These sweeping changes worked to Liverpool’s advantage, and nothing better in the way of defence could have been expected from the usual league full-backs than the display which the two men chosen to fill their places gave.  Liverpool scored two goals, whereas their opponents could only once find the net, and though there may have been a serious reason for disputing the decision for a free kick which led to the winning goal, still the result cannot be said to be a misleading one.
Strenuous Sport
In the first half, Liverpool were the better side, and just about merited their lead of a goal.  Their forwards and half-backs worked together in greater harmony than was witnessed in the Everton ranks, but neither goalkeeper was called upon to save more than average shots.  Goddard was the best forward on the field prior to the interval, his runs and centres being alike excellent, and he was splendidly nursed by Stewart, who resumed in the League eleven and gave a capital account of himself.  Miller surprised me by the capable footwork he exhibited in dealing with the distribution of the forward play.  He never hesitated in dashing down the centre when the opportunity was forthcoming, and he flashed the ball to either wing with exceptionally cleverness and judgment.  On this form he fully deserves an extended trial as leader of the frontal division.  Gracie was not often in evidence, but Lacey played a grand game against his old club and scored both goals.  Everton were not well served by their front line.  Bradshaw and Jefferis were seldom seen, though in one instance the latter experienced hard luck when a fine shot from his foot beat Campbell which had a second before been nullified by the blowing of the referee’s whistle.  Beare was seen at his best just after the change of ends, while Harrison sent across some delightful centres in the first half, but the line did not convince one as being of real value.  Browell accomplished many smart moves, and yet there was not a methodical understanding between the members of the forward line.  As a matter of fact the Everton attacking line constituted as it was in this match will never make headway.  Harrison was the best outside left the club has tried this season, but these forwards seem to have forgotten that the chief reason for their inclusion in the side is to score goals.  Liverpool were quite equal to their rivals in the matter of defence.  Fairfoul, who was unexpectedly brought into the team, played his best game since coming to the Mersey side, and a continuance of such form would alter the impression created by his achievements earlier in the campaign.  Lowe was a great success at centre half-back, and Ferguson was fully equal to the task of dealing effectively with the Everton right wing.  Further behind, Crawford and Speakman gave a grand display of defence, neither man flattered, while their returns and excellent placings were alike most meritorious.  The customary League full-backs were not missed, but to Speakman must be accorded chief honours, for he figured on the right wing, a position which was entirely ne to him.  Campbell was not severely tested in goal and without desiring to appear ultra-critical; I must confess that I thought he was at fault in allowing Wareing’s shot to beat him.  The ball came to him from fairly long range, and seemed capable of being successfully negotiated.  Mitchell brought off several splendid saves in the Everton goal, and nothing was finer than the clearance he effected from Miller, who had dashed past the rest of the defence.  Still, the shots which beat him from lacey were not difficult ones, for in the first case he fell in clearing, and in the second he seemed to be deceived by a swerving centre.  The Everton full backs did not reach their usual standard of ability, and they made more mistakes than we are accustomed to see.  Without being especially noticeable, they never attained above an ordinary level of efficiency.  In the intermediate line, Wareing was easily the star performer, his interception being clever, while he gave his forwards many chances.  Harris worked hard, but to little effect, and Grenyer had all the football knocked out of him before the interval, when he came into collision with an opponent.  Everton played a very poor game all round, and their defeat at the hands of Liverpool was only in accordance with what had been anticipated.  Only one goal came before the interval, this falling to the visitors.  Lowe sent forward to Miller whose shot was stopped by Mitchell but the custodian fell, and Lacey dashing inwards, piloted the ball into the net, after the keeper had attempted to throw clear.  Soon after the change of ends, Wareing equalized with a long oblique drive, and a draw seemed certain, when a free kick was awarded Liverpool.  Gracie stumbled over a clod of earth, but the referee under the impression –and wrongly so-that a foul had been committed, awarded a free kick.  The ball was placed wide to Lacey, who ran on, and his centre curled inwards and beat Mitchell, thereby gaining the deciding point.  Everton; Mitchell; Stevenson, Macconnachie (captain); Harris, Wareing, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Harrison.  Liverpool; Campbell; Speakman, Crawford; Fairfoul, Lowe, Ferguson; Goddard, Stewart, Miller, Gracie, and Lacey.  Referee; A. Pellowe, Oldham. 

Athletic News - Monday 22 September 1913
Death has removed another familiar figure from Anfield.  The groundsman Elliott, who was seized with a chill a week ago, has served the club faithfully ad well for twenty seven years. 

Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser - Friday 26 September 1913
There appears to sonic affinity between farming football, for quite number of well-known men follow both vocations. One of these is Sam Hardy, Aston Villa's famous goalkeeper, who runs farm near his native Rotherham. Another is Christopher Buckley, also connected with Villa until last season, when he unfortunately came under the ban of the Football Association. Andrew Wilson, of Sheffield Wednesday, and his brother David, Oldham Athletic, were both born Scottish farm, and another who first saw light on the land is John McCartney, now manager of the Heart Midlothian club, and formerly a player with Glasgow Rangers, Manchester United, Luton, Barnsley, and other teams. James Settle. Another English International, returned to his farm after finishing long career with Everton. But if the land except to play on, has little to with' football, the sea would appear have less. Yet at least one famous ex-leather chaser now gets his living on the water. This is Duncan MacDougall, once doughty defender with Glasgow Rangers, and to-day captain of West Highland steamer.

September 26, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Rumors, with regard to Everton's decisive to come to terms with a noted Scottish forward have been very rife of late, and though this was denial on the part of the Everton club on Monday, the question had cropped off again by reason of the appearance in a Scottish newspaper of a paragraph the effect that James Bowie, the clever inside right of Rangers, had signed in his at with the Goodison organisation. The announcement naturally created a mild sensation in Glasgow Football circles, but on inquiry at the Rangers headquarters, an emphatic denial was forthcoming, the Ibrox secretary stated that there was not the slightest ground to such a statement. The club have no intention to part with Bowie, as in fact, the Rangers secretary play in his usual position in the Glasgow cup-tie against Clyde tomorrow.

September 27, 1913. The Liverpool Courier
Last week at Sunderland, Aston Villa showed evidence of coming back to form, and Everton well probably have all their work cut out to repeat last season's drew at Birmingham. Everton have made several changes, Makepeace makes his first appearance this season in place of Grenyer, while the front line, will be led by Fleetwood, as in the Newcastle match. Browell partnering Harrison, Bradshaw is dropped, and Houston is being tried at outside right to the excursion of Beare. The Villa are playing Whittaker in place of Mclachlane at inside right, and there is a doubt as to whether Lyon will be fit to play.

Athletic News - Monday 29 September 1913
Aston Villa 3 Everton 1
By Brum
ASTON VILLA have not emulated Sunderland’s performance of last season of going through the opening month without a win, for on Saturday, the closing one of the month, they beat Everton, and beat them on their merits. Considering the sweltering heat it was an exceedingly good game. There was some slackness in the opening stages, and one would not say that the play ever reached the high-water mark of form as manifested by these teams. It was a reorganized Everton eleven that we saw, for Beare and Bradshaw had been dropped from the forward line, and Grenyer from the half back division, but Harry Makepeace made a welcome reappearance after a long absence. Nor were the conditions such as suggested the possibility of high grade form. It was one of the hottest days the year in Birmingham. The direct power of the sun was tremendous. The Villa had not their full strength. Hampton’s period of probation has not yet expired, and Slade was given another chance in the centre, while, Maclachlan's form not having been satisfactory, Whittaker was once more placed at inside right. Then Lyons was suffering from a cold, and Littlewood deputized for him.
In the first few minutes an accident to Jefferis caused the visitors’ chances to be somewhat prejudiced.  He hurt his arm in a collision with Leach and retired to have it bound up, but he was not long away. Unfortunately, however, it was clear that he was not likely to do himself justice, and, after the second half had been in progress for a quarter of an hour, he went outside and Houston came inside. By the way Aston Villa has also shuffled their team about, for Whittaker not proving especially adaptable, he and Barber changed places at the interval. Whittaker would be a better player if he would keep his temper. Football is only a game, after all. Bache scored a fine goal for the Villa twenty-eight minutes from the start. Wallace placed a corner well, and Bache met the ball magnificently, and shot it into the net at top speed. Fleetwood equalized two minutes later, taking the ball nicely from Harrison’s centre. Whittaker, however, put the Villa ahead before the interval. This was a curious goal—one that people objected to.  Personally I consider the referee acted correctly. The Villa got right through, and a goal seemed imminent. The ball struck Wareing in the face and dazed him, but it fell the feet of Whittaker, and he shot into the net.  I do not know whether Mr. Garner saw the incident or not, but it would have been far more unfair to the Villa have stopped the game than it was unfair to Everton to allow it to go on.   Bache obtained a third goal, the ball slipping out of Mitchell's hands owing to the force with which the scorer drove It in.
Everton’s forward play was by means lacking in cleverness. Houston and Harrison were the most aggressive men in the front rank. Harrison is undoubtedly a fine wing player, while Houston can get along very smartly. Harrison is very pertinacious about getting his centres in, and Fleetwood dangerous in the centre.  He is a good shot, and it is perhaps a trifle lucky for the Villa that he fumbled once or twice when he appeared to have a good chance of asserting himself.  What a great player Hardy is!  How he anticipated every movement of the Everton forwards.  Jefferis and Brovell were rather below form. The half-back play was good—Makepeace is as judicious as ever—and Stevenson and Macconnochie were an admirable pair of backs. I have spoken of Hardy's almost perfect goalkeeping.
Littlewood did well in Lyons’s place showing plenty of pluck and grit. Weston shaped excellently, and the half-back play was sound, Leach being the most prominent.  Harrop is a fine player, but what a hazy idea he has of finding the net!  One shot of his was a ludicrous effort.  Barber did capital work, both at half back and forward. There was gate of over 40,000. Aston Villa.—Hardy; Littlewood, Weston; Barber, Harrop, Leach; Wallace, Whittaker, Slade, Stephenson, and Bache.  Everton; Mitchell; Stevenson, Macconnachie (captain); Harris, Wareing, Makepeace; Houston, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell, and Harrison.  Referee; T. Gardner, Barnsley. 

September 29, 1913, The Liverpool Courier.
For their game with Aston Villa the Everton directors had made drastic changes with a view to testing the strength of the material they had at hand, and though at one point of the game it appealed as if the changes were likely to bring about good results, the club were eventually defeated by three goals to one. And this was not a true reflex upon the general run of the game, for so far as Everton were concerned they had the opportunity of placing themselves well beyond the possibly of defeat ere play had been half an hour in progress, but certain forwards simply would not or could not drive home the advantage. On such a day as Saturday, with us over powering heat, it was quite refreshing to note the general business like way in which the Evertonians went about their work. Still, without over-estimating their chances there were at least three openings, which ought to have been accepted, but as these frittered away one, of course, was prepared for any eventually. With the hope of strengthening the forward line, Houston filled the outside right position with Fleetwood as the pivot, and Harrison was given a further opportunity of displaying his skill on the extreme left. So far as these, players were concerned the changes proved successful, but it passes one's comprehension that there was such feeble assistance forthcoming from the inside men who could do all that was required of them but apply the necessary finishing touch with any suggestion of accuracy. Then again, the players courted defeat, when they eased up, what time they claimed for a free kick with their opponents in the shooting zone, and as a leading point was the outcome it can be readily imagined that the team then lost their grip upon the game. Further, a weakness in the rear division, which resulted in the Villa left back being unmarked, clinched the issue in decisive fashion, and as the final touch was badly mulled by the Everton keeper, the Villa recorded probably the easiest victory that will come their way this season.

Everton, were greatly handicapped, as Jefferis injured his arm in the early stages of play, which of course greatly reduced the efficiency of right wing play, and in the second half, when an interchange of positions became necessary, matters were not improved. Still, taking the play from that quarter generally, there was a greater infusion of dash than had obtained in previous games, and the all-round work of the Irish international merited better results. At the other end of the line Harrison gave an improved display, and challenged the backs to greater purpose than the previous week and moreover there were trustfulness about his centres that kept the Villa defenders well extended. The centre forward position was somewhat exciting against such an expert as Harrop. Yet the best was made of the situation and had there been able further goals must have been forthcoming. As often happens, opponents benefit from some lapses, and so on Saturday the Villa, far from being a great side, were made to appear a greater force than they really were. There was little to choose between the half-back play on either side, still Everton have not yet touched their top form in this department, and by allowing too much quarter to the Villa left, the Everton rear guard betrayed weakness. Bache opened the scoring from a centre by Wallace after play had been in progress thirty minutes, but three minutes later Harrison almost from the line provided Fleetwood with the opportunity of drawing level. Following this Browell missed likely openings to forge ahead, and then came an appeal for an injury to Wareing. The Evertonians eased up but not so the Villa, and Whittaker went ahead and scored. In the second half the play was evenly distributed, but Stevenson, laying too far up, paid the penalty, as Bache had a clear course, and drove in to find Mitchell as fault for the keeper assisted the progress of the ball into the net. Browell made a great effort to reduce the lead, after Harrison had made the running, and Fleetwood headed against the bar, but in each instance Hardy's anticipation of danger saved his side.

The players generally, under the depressing conditions, gave a good account of themselves. Wing play was well served by the inclusion of Houston and Harrison, while Fleetwood accomplished much good work in the centre. In spite of Jefferis injury he displayed attractive footwork, and though Browell attended well to his wing men, he did not maintain his reputation as a marksman. The return of Makepeace added strength to the half way line, while Macconnachie was the more reliable back. Mitchell with the exception of the lapse referred to, kept a good goal. Hardy was, as we all know him in Liverpool, sound in anticipation, and execution, and while the backs gave nothing away, Leach was a tower of strength in plying his forwards, of whom the extreme wingers. Wallace and Bache, carried with them the hallmark of class. Teams : - Aston Villa: - Hardy, goal Littlewood, and Weston, backs, Barber, Harrop, and Leach, half-backs Wallace, Whittaker, Slade, Stephenson, and Bache, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell, and Harrison forwards. Referee T. Garner.

September 29, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Goals were plentiful at Goodison Park, for Everton defeated Barnsley by Six goals to nil. As the score denotes the Blues gave a splendid display and were full value for every one of their six goals. The forwards were exceedingly smart and clever, and there was a thorough understanding between them. They attacked in fine style, and in fine style, and in front of goal were always dangerous. The feature of the match was the marksmanship of Page, who scored four consecutive goals, all in the second half. All his goals were scored by fair length drives, but he usually let drive when most unexpected and herein lies the scret of his success. Bradshaw was also a forceful attacker, while his brilliant solo effort were a source of delight to the onlookers. Chedgzoy is now in his very best form, and accomplished some very fine wing play, and in Nuttall and Johnson, Everton posses two very capable inside men who are likely to prove very useful. The defence had rather an easy time, but Challinor again filled the eye, his work both in attack and defence bearing the hallmark of ability. In the first half Everton scored twice, through Bradshaw and Nuttall, while after the interval Page defeated the Barnsley keeper on four occasions.Chedgzoy also missed a penalty kick after Tindall fouled Chedgzoy. (Echo) Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, goal, Thompson, and Fulton, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Kirby, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnson, and Bradshaw, forwards. Barnsley: - Lindon, goal, Corbett, and Tindall, backs, Ruddlesdin, Bohills, and Musgroves, half-backs, Milward, Clarke, Crummack, Lees, and Roystone, forwards.

September 30, 1913. The Liverpool Echo.
Mr. Cuff, the Everton secretary, was in Belfast on Saturday, at the League match between Linfield and Glentoran, his mission was Duncan McNeil, Linfield inside left, who joined the latter last season from Raith Rovers. Linfield have no desire to part so far.













































































































September 1913