Everton Independent Research Data


September 1, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
By “Vin”
The news that Sam Chedgzoy and George Harrison (Scots Guards) had gone to France created much surprise locally. West Ham will find their place rather hard to fill. They will probably install Billie Kirsopp at outside right today if “duty free.” Macconnachie and Roberts (late of Bolton) have promised to assist the “Hammers” whenever available.
The death has occurred of Archie Freebairn a former member of the Bolton Wanderers team.

Sports Argus - Saturday 01 September 1917
The ex-Glasgow Rangers, Everton and Fulham half-back, J.H. Galt, now a Lieutentant, has returned to the front after a few day's leave at home in Glasgow. 

September 1, 1917, The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Special
Everton are blessed with a good stock of players of first class ability, led off in their opening game –a very attractive affair, with their neighbours from Southport –with a bright prospect of victory. The team sheet given below shows strength of the rival sides, and it will be conceded that both sides on paper look well.
Footballer out of Action
Rigby, of Southport Central and formerly of Everton is in hospital in France. He has a leg injury.
Plan Of Action
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Grenyer, Wareing and Fleetwood, half-backs; Donnachie, Clennell, Gault, Jefferis, and Murray, forwards. Southport Central;- Capper, goal; Dorward and Pte Hemsley, backs; J. Wright, Claridge, and Segt Abram, half-backs; Roger, Caulfield, Fay, Lt Tom, and Scholfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Twist, of Preston. Keeping the ball on the ground and passing neatly Everton started in nice fashion, Clennell being the mainspring of the opening attack, aided by a feint by Donnachie. Clennell was wide with a scorer shot, as was Gault a moment later, but we hadn’t long to wait for the first goal register of the season. Clennell was the scorer and the process was taken almost as a matter of course. Play had taken the ball to the home right in spite of the dour efforts of little Caulfield. Gault broke away and centred to the goalmouth where Clennell was stationed. If Capper had left his goal the score would probably have been prevented and similarly if Toms had steadied himself before shooting when he broke away Mitchell would have been tested.
Two Goals in Quick Succession
Up to the moment it had been all Everton, Southport’s defence being taxed. It was not until Jefferis had scored that Southport woke out of their sleeping draught. The goal scored by Jefferis was a gem, and delighted the crowd, which by the way, had a large percentage of soldiers wounded and otherwise. The skilful inside-right drove in a fast shot by a left-footed drive, and the ball caught the underneath portion of the cross-bar and curled into goal. Four minutes later Clennell tried a longish shot, which had Capper beaten, but the South Liverpool goalkeeper was slow in getting to the ball. Perhaps the glare of the sunshine was troubling him. Southport Central were out mancurved again and again and for a long time their relief was a breakaway by Abrams who showed poor judgment in a pass forward. Gault tried to join the scorers list and shot, a tendency to selfishness by making an angular shot and hitting the rigging what time his comrades were waiting a gentle tap. Capper got down to a low shot by Jefferis, after which there was a dull period, the only feature being sound defence by Thompson who was assisted fairly well by the new boy who by the way is a double of Thompson, except in height. If he turns out half as good as the Everton captain he will do very well thank you. In an endeavour to improve their play Southport swapped positions between Wright and Hemsley . There certainly was an improvement as a consequence as the full back position was certainly reliable. It was quite refreshing to see Hooper receive the ball and make good use of it, for he had little chance prior to the point. He beat Robinson, and Grenyer and centred a nice ball, only to find no one up to take the chance. Enthusiasm was put into the dull proceedings by an admirable save on the part of Capper at point-blank range. Right on time Donnachie scored a perfect goal with an oblique shot. It was a goal on his own and his close dribbling and delightful control of the ball gained rounds of applause.
Half-time; Everton 4, Southport Central 0
Under Cover
The value of Everton’s stand accommodation was shown today. The club is blest with more covered accommodation than ninety nine out of a hundred clubs, and today’s gate looked smaller than it was as a consequence of the spectators “hiding” themselves under cover.
Collecting For Hero’s Widow
The Bell Fund got a lift today at the football match, the railway organizers having been granted permission by Everton to take up a collection for this most deserving fund. A letter in the “Echo” suggesting that a collection should be taken was considered favourably by the Walton board. I hope the collection will yield a good sum.
Second Half
Everton faced the glare of the sunshine in this half, and therefore one looked to Southport to test Mitchell who had parried but one shot in the first half. The restart was sensational. Abrams putting the ball forward to Hooper, who scored quite easily. It was a triumphant of tactics Southport in the interval having rearranged their side; Hooper went to centre forward, Hemsley to outside right, Claridge to right half, and Fay to centre half. The reverse netted Everton and Gault was unlucky in being injured when he had made a goal pretty certain. He had to be attended to and when he resumed he limped badly. Capper show in daring saves, although he was not quick in clearing the ball. If the three big experienced men can keep clear of injuries they must from the backbone of the side. A surprising feature of the day was the absence of electrifying runs by young Schofield, who started last season so brilliantly and faded away. He must have heard what I said, for at this moment he made a splendid solo run.
Clennell scored for Everton after five minutes
Jefferis scored a second after thirteen minutes
Clennell scored a third after seventeen minutes
Donnachie scored a fourth after 44 minutes
Hooper scored for Southport after forty-six minutes

September 3, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Seven goals at Everton, my sirs, and two of them very special goals –goals that will be remembered by the 8,000 spectators present. Donnachie with a dodging, feinting run, beat four opponents and in spite of that fact, hardly moved move than half a dozen paces – evidence of ball-control. What? –finally crowning his effort with a brilliant drive crosswise out of Capper’s reach. Jefferis, too, got a peach with a left footed hook, and Clennell with three, and Gault and Hooper with one, completed the penny per goal idea. There’s no doubt about it –Everton, on paper and on form, are on the top rung. Their half-back line, well-knit, well-built, and experienced, makes certain the backbone of the side. Add, then reliable backs –young Robinson is a double of Thompson even to the bowed legs and the sandy hair –sharp-shooting forwards who are not afraid to swing the leg, and a goalkeeper of merit, and you find a side that is at once the envy of most cities. Everton will go far.
A Word For Capper
Southport played right into the hands, and but for Capper’s brilliance the Central side would have been bemoaning the hoisting of double figures Capper doesn’t know the art of picking up and clearing in one and the game action but he is a sound and not showy goalkeeper, and many times he saved hot shots. South Liverpool start next Saturday and I guess they would find it difficult to find his equal. What a mine of players the club has been for senior organizations! Capper had to work out his own salvation until Dossey Wright returned to his old place at full back. Hemsley having proved “unplaceable.” It was good to see Southport were not content to rest on their formation after the interval. Still they left themselves three goals in 7 minutes and there was never any goals for them. With arranged force Southport fared well, and Hooper made a good half and it is pretty evident that the central will after this week, fortunate a serviceable side. Young Schofield disappoints me; I had looked to him for much. Caulfield too, didn’t play half the game he showed here last time he paid us a visit. Clarridge is a worker, Dorward good, and Toms with a restraining influence near goal, would improve out of all recognition. He’s too earnest and anxious to get many goals. The lesson of the game is; Get to work early, Southport, and don’t be downhearted, your side should beat more than beats you.

September 3, 1917. The Evening Express
Six-one, grumbled am unsatisfied Everton supporters after the match, it should have been 10-1. And who present at Goodison Park on Saturday would disagree with the greedy one? Taken as a whole the game may yet prove to be the most one-sided affair seemed during the season. Beyond a few spasmodic raids play was rarely absent from the visitors half. Toms initiated a couple of them. He is of a type that can go well for goal, and then curl up within a sight of the net. The Southport team generally gave the impression of lack of condition. Abrams a stalwart last season noticeable found the pace too hot and eased up in the latter stages. Field changes were numerous. First J. Wright crossed from right half to the left back position displacing Hemsley and after the interval there was further shuffling in the forward line. Fay returned to his accustomed position of centre half, Hooper moving to the centre, and Claridge displaced Hemsley who made another step forward to outside right. The substitution scheme made little difference. True, an orphan point was credited to Hooper, but it was largely helped by a miskick by Thompson. With a couple of necessary changes and given a few more games, Southport should posses a presentable team. They were best served on Saturday by Caulfield, Fay, Schofield, and Hooper.
Some Praise
Everton gave a sound display. There was not a weak link –if one takes the game as a reliable test. Jefferis pleased all, and given exemption from injury than is a big season in front of the dainty inside right. He and Gault have brought the exchange position move to a fine art, and it ought to bear fruitful results, for the score sheet. Clennell collected a trio in best style, and has started early to excel the 37 notches of a season ago. Donnachie’s goal was the best of the bunch. The outside left squirmed round three defenders and found himself at a very narrow angle, but he accurately placed a beautiful oblique shot. Further back, the newcomer, Robinson showed distinct signs of promise. A little tendency to rashness will no doubt be sobered by a continued partnership with Thompson.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 05 September 1917
There will be several changes in the Southport team to meet Everton in the return match at Southport on Saturday. Corporal Claridge and Pte Hemsley have been placed on reserve, and J.H. Wright will take the place of the latter as left full back, a position he occupied during the latter portion of the game at Goodison.  In Wright's place at left half back, Sergt, Rigsby will operate; Fay will replace Claridge as centre half; Lieut Toms will be at centre forward instead of inside left, and Scholfield's new partner on the left wing will be A. Brodie, formerly of South Shields and Newcastle United Reserve.  W. Hewitt, South Liverpool, is also on the reserve.  Team; Capper; Dorward, J.H. Wright; Sergt Rigsby, Fay, Sergt Abrams; Corpl Hooper, Caulfield, Liuet Toms, Brodie and Scholfield. 

September 7, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Southport’s ground isn’t like Everton’s. therefore beware a pitfall. Moreover, Southport have considerably strengthened their side by putting the hefty and lusty Lieuteant Toms at centre forward and Fay at centre half. This means that the middle piece will be strong. “Dossey” Wright and Dorward being the backs and Capper in goal. The Unchanged Everton side can win if they can settle down and in this direction we look to the steadying influence of Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer. Look to your “Football Echo” for the full report as usual. Teams; Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Grenyer, Wareing, Fleetwood; Donnachie, Clennell, Gault, Jefferis, Murray. Southport Central; Capper; Dorward, J.H. Wright; Sgt Rigby, Fay, Sgt Abrams; Schofield, Brodie, Lieut Toms, Caulfields, Hooper.
• Air-Mechanic Maconnachie played left half for West Ham on Saturday
• A contemporary states that Everton have secured a player named Gouldson from Birkenhead Comets. He ought to be a “star” ought’s he?

September 8, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Clennell Scored Early on at Southport
“F.E.H” Special
Fleetwood Absent Through Inability to Leave Work
Sunshine and showers. We left Liverpool in smiling sweetness of a September day. Southport had nothing better to offer than a fine piercing rain which drenched most football enthusiasts who made their way to the headquarter of the Central club, and the confines of breezy Blowick. Home interest in the meeting was accentuated by the heavy beating which Southport suffered at Goodison Park and in spite of the weather, there was an enthusiastic crowd present when the opposing forces lined out. Everton were unable to field Fleetwood as they had hoped the trustful half-backs being kept at his war world but in his place there was a useful performer in the person of Williams. Southport had several last moment changes in their composition. J. Barton figured at left back, a position which last week at Everton was filled at different times by Hensley and J.H. Wright. In the forward line Sergeant Pownall took the place of Corporal Hooper. As inside left W. Hewitt of South Liverpool made his debut, while the pivot was the versatile footballer J.H. Wright. Fay, who was centre-forward at Goodison, was to day centre-half. Lieutenant Toms, who had been chosen to play was it is understood helping Barrow, against South Liverpool. Everton; Mitchell, goal Robinson, Thompson (captain), backs; Grenyer, Wareing and Williams, half-backs; Donnachie, Clennell, Gault, Jefferis, and Murray, forwards. Southport; Capper, goal; Dorward and J. Barton, backs; Sgt Rigby, Fay and Sgt Abrams, half-backs; Pownall, Caulfield, J.H Wright, Hewitt, and Schofield, forwards. The game commended ten minutes after the advertised time, Southport started against the wind, and they opened in their customarily vigorous fashion, trying in the first few exchanges to beat both Robinson and Thompson back upon their lines of defence. This spasmodic attack, was at once repulsed and Everton moved long the uneven ground with nice precision. The right wing par made capital play, and Gault tried to administer the finishing touch with an oblique shot, which Capper coped with at the cost of a corner. The place kick was well taken, and there was an exciting bully in the home goal before Dorward saved the situation. A stremous interlude of midfield work ensued, in which the Central players showed rather a smarter adaptability in taking in the conformation of the playing pitch, but their rather rough-and-reachy tactics were more than counter-balanced by the clear play of the Evertonians. Aided to a certain extent by the breeze the visitors kept their antagonists for a time constantly on the defensive, and both Donnachie and Murray were distinctly remiss in failing to take advantage of obvious openings. Wareing once paved the way to a pretty opening, and Clennell and Donnachie did their best to turn the movement to account. The watchful Dorward, however, anticipated the movement and cleared with perfect precision. A breakaway by the home left looked awkward when the Everton halves failed to hold them, but the situation was retrieved by Thompson, and we then witnessed a sustained series of attacks by the wearers of the blue jersey. Grenyer lobbed the ball up nicely, and Jefferis essayed a shot which was intercepted. Gault however, caught the return, and he was rather unlucky in not being able to steady himself before driving home a lusty shot. As it was the leather passed out to the left, and Donnachie made a fine attempt to draw first blood with.
A Shot That Failed
Central took up the running with much improved style, and Wright holding his wings well together, force the Evertonians to give ground. But the defenders made a resolute stand, and shots from Hewitt and Caulfield having been disposed of the visitors proceeded to take up the offensive again. The movement of this occasion was much more methodical and might have achieved success had not Gault in his anxiety put the ball over the bar. This was the nearest approach the Evertonians had reached, and it stimulated them further efforts. The swept down in fine fashion on the right and this time Gault sent in a wonderful drive, which Capper diverted in a miraculous way, and which Wareing a second later lifted over the bar.
Clennell Scorers
Everton were now having matters all their own way, and success came when Clennell seizing upon a pass from the right drove the ball into the far corner of the net. Having taken the lead, the Everton men proceeding to literally bombard the Southport goal, and half a dozen shots were luckily cleared. The Southport halves tried more than once to break-up the rapidly improving methods of the opposing forwards and they did so to the extent of rendering shots from Murray, Jefferis, and Donnachie nugatory when the players named with a little more steadiness might well have rammed the advantage home. Just before the interval the Central vanguard made a desperate afford to retrieve their lost position, and after a fine shot from Wright had been admirably fielded, Abrams put a regular daisy-cutter which passed outside.
Half-time; Southport 0, Everton 1.
The first half had been quite characteristic of Everton’s play on this sandy and windswept enclosure. At first they had been complete baffled by the peculiarities of the formation of the playing patch. Once they found their feet, so to speed, they promptly began to show superiority in both attack and defence. The work of the forwards was always vigorous and determined in effort, and if Gault failed to hold the wings he made amends by trying individual shots, more than one of which might well have found its billet. Murray and Jefferis were frequently well in the picture, but it was left to the ever-ready Clennell to notch the only goal. The half-back line was strong and weak in turn, but both backs played with confidence. Southport showed more dash and determination than actual skill, and it was mainly due to this that they were only one down at the interval.
Second Half
The rain had cleared off, and there were about 2,000 people present when the game was resumed. The Evertonians now had the wind in their teeth, and they tackled these conditions with a rare and refreshing vigour that looked like hearing fruit or the left in the first few minutes after the resumption. Dorward as ever proved a stumbling block, and the Sandgrounders moved off brisky by means of an adroit sotion on part of Fay. Schofield and Flewitt tried to put the finishing touches thereto, but Robinson was too smart for them, ad cleared well, getting the ball away neatly.
Goal Scorers
Clennell scored for Everton

September 10, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Although the margin was not so ample as that of a week ago, Everton managed to secure a second victory over Southport Central in the return match at Ash-Lane on Saturday. The game was not a particularly good one, being for the most part on the scrambling side, but it served to indicate Everton’s marked superiority. The Goodison Park contingent rarely shot to advantage on this lumpy and ridge playing patch, and on the occasion under notice they experienced considerable difficulty in keeping the ball under control. Their opponents however, were in much the same plight, and they suffered the additional disadvantage of being not nearly so well-balanced a side as the Evertonians. The first period of the game was fought at a stremious pace in a strong wind and fine rain. The visitors were the first to settle down to a well ordered scheme to play, with after Gault had tried several times to wriggle through on his own account, Clennell taking the leather from a judicious pass from the right drew first blood with a well-directed shot that gave Capper little chance. This was the only incident of real moment up to the interval. In the second half Everton developed their latent powers of combination and we had some rather pretty passing at times. The Southport forwards nevertheless were rarely idle, and Wareing and his wings were not permitted to rest upon their oars. The Central’s anxiety to equalize was obvious and it was only when the visitors doubled their lead that the home side appeared to give up hopes. The second goal came also from Clennell. The wonderfully agile inside left was sailing merrily along when he was deliberately grassed in the penalty area, and talking the place-kick he netted neatly out of reach of the home keeper. The work of the Everton generally was highly satisfactory. Gault led the way by example if not altogether by precept, and both Clennell and Jefferis added many clever touches. The wing men, too gave complete satisfaction though Abrams put a curb on the activities of Murray and his partner. Williams cut a conspicuous figure in the half-back line, showing both courage and resource, while Wareing and Grenyer were as reliable as ever. Robinson proved a very effective partner to Thompson, and Mitchell did all that he was called upon to do. In the home ranks J.H. Wright and Cauulfield were perhaps the most dangerous of the vanguard, while in the midway line Abrams and Fay used their weight with conspicuous judgment.

September 10, 1917. The Evening Express
Following upon their runaway victory in the opening game of the season at Goodison Park against Southport, the Everton team were more fully extended at Ash-lane; still they again asserted their superiority and won by two clear goals. The playing pitch of the Central club does not lend itself to an exposition of clean crisp footwork at the best of times, and the prolific growth on Saturday was not conducive to a plan of campaign that skilful forwards desire, writes my colleagues “Rovers” The footwork of the Everton forwards stood out in marked contrasts to the spasmodic movements of the Central front line, and success in this direction mainly resulted from the able support that was touch coming from the half-backs, who were resourceful, both in imitating advances and in holding the Central forward sin check. The latter were not lacking in support from their halves, but they failed to utilize what came their way. Little judgment was shown in their efforts to get out of a difficulty, and even when the conditions were favourable there was little suggestion of their ability to extend the defence powers arrayed against them. While Everton were the superior side all round, their biggest asset lay in the complete understanding that existed between the forward and half-backs divisions Fleetwood was not able to assist his side, still Williams was a capably understudy and the effective triangular movements with the wingers was one of the features of the game. In this respect Grenyer collaborated with Clennell and Donnachie to such an extent that the Everton left wing pair were always a thorn in the side of the Central defenders and with Wareing successfully thwarting the onslaught of the home inside forwards, it was small wonder that Mitchell’s charge was not seriously threatened. Both goals fell to Clennell, one in each half. In the first instance he had completely baffled Dorward and fired in a ball that bounded off the far upright into the net, while his second success was the outcome of a penalty. This in the two games with Southport he had helped himself to five goals out of eight recorded by his side. \

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 11 September 1917
Everton Team.—Mitchell; R. Thompson, W Robinson; F. Fleetwood, W. Wareing, E Grenyer; S. Murray, F. Jefferis, E. Gault, J. Clennell, J. Donnachie. Reserves. —Bull, Stewart, Williams, Twist Redford. Kick-off 3.30.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 13 September 1917
Lance Corporal J. Ross, youngest son of the late Mr. N.J. Ross, the famous Preston player of the early nineties has been awarded the Miltary Medal for gallantry in France.  He belongs to the Seaforth Highlanders. 

September 14, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
W. Kirsopp, the Grenadier Guard, is in Liverpool. He will help Everton tomorrow. Since he has been playing down south he has developed a bug turn of speed. It is only natural that teams running up against Merseyside clubs should honour our sides by putting out their best possible elevens. In view of Burnley’s swift improvement of a week since Everton must not take things easily. The big defeat sustained by Burnley against Rochdale set some minds wondering what could have happened as Burnley, but their memories fail them, for did not Rochdale wind up the season to a remarkable manner? Burnley will not have Hodgson. Everton; Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Kirsopp somewhere in attack. The publication of the names of reserves players has been taken as indication of doubtful starters, but there are none, and Everton will be at full strength. Mr. Cuff will be glad to meet collectors at 2.30 at the office of the club tomorrow.

September 14, 1917. Evening Express
There is good news for followers of Everton, as Kirsopp is up on leave, and will appear in the forward line tomorrow. Up to now, however, it is not known who will have a stand down to give him a place. Everton will be at full strength and should be able to annex the points, though Burnley are never a force to be despised, and will bring along as powerful a combination as possible. Except that Kirsopp will be “somewhere” the Goodison eleven will be as follows; Everton; Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie.

September 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton’s emergency right half, Williams models his play on very correct lines
All the Everton forwards save Murray have found the net.
Everton’s half-backs line has shown wonderful strength again. They are a trio to be proud of. Clennell, buoyant as ever; it would take two submarines to submerge “U” ;yet you are not averse to sinking self, if necessary! Jefferis has made a promising re-start as a scorist. Last season he did not get going in this respect until December 16, when Bury were here. Of course, his chances were none too many seeing that Kirsopp was often the “preferred party,” for inside right.

September 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Space does not permit lengthy reference to a number of important news items received today. First there is the death of young Brannick, a sturdy little forward who was signed by Everton from Atherton’s club about three years ago. He was a strong shot, and had, if of short build, certainty very strong limbs. He might have trained on into something of a Whittingham shot.

September 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Plan of Field
Gone are the days when Burnley can raise a team that will strike terrior into other clubs. Mosscrop is in the wilds of Salonika, Boyle is wounded and deaf, Taylor, Bamford, and a number of other names are on the Aray books, and yet Burnley came to Everton today with a smile and some determination. Everton made a happy choice when they arranged to find a place for W. Kirsopp the Grenadier, who has won fame at West Ham and has won sprints at London meetings. Everton were at full strength, the day was beautifully fine – a trifle of a change from Everton’s home record of this and last season –and the teams were;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Kirsopp, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Burnley; Kelly, goal; Hastle, and Kempster, backs; Johnson, Heslop, and Lindley, half-backs; Woodward, Edwards, Mitton, Dunn, and Woods, forwards, forwards. Everton won the toss, and Burnley set off at a merry lot. Their form was surprisingly energetic and although Everton adopted quick passing movements, Burnley replied with earnest raids, and met a fine defence. Gradually Everton came to their game, and the contest developed on real old-fashioned Cup-tie lines when Clennell scored after ten minutes play. Burnley fought with terrific vigour, and they were encouraged by the shouts of a large body of soldiers. Clennell’s goal was of an unusual type. The left full back went to play the ball, hesitated and left it to the goalkeeper, who lost his grip and thus provided Clennell with a goal from a yard range. Dunn and his partner, Woods gave Robinson much trouble, but the Burnley goalkeeper was tried even more frequently, and right well did he play, he kept out two fine drives by Kirsopp and the way he pushed out a Gault shot caused the crowd to give him a round of applause.
Fleetwood Scores
Woodwards, too, earned applause by a spirited run half the length of the field, but all this came to nought when Fleetwood elected to shoot hard and true to goal –time twenty minutes. Fleetwood often zigzag through a crowd of players, and gets himself in a knot, but now he let fly from long range although he had drifted to the centre of the field. Kirsopp’s form was a revelation. We knew he was fast, but did not imagine he could give yards, and still keep control of the ball. Burnley by the run of play were not fairly treated, yet one could not mistake the deadiness of Everton’s shooting; they got three goals in four minutes –a sensational spasm of play. Gault scored (26 minutes) from a free kick for hands. Clennell (27 minutes) from a penalty for hands and at the half-hour Fleetwood from the penalty area, surprised himself and the crowd by bringing the total to five with an oblique shot.
Five Up
In spite of the heavy score, Kelly continued to keep a masterly goal, and when he caught and cleared a hot shot from Clennell he performed a work of valour. Just before the interval that quick-footed forward, Gault drove in a screamer and the goalkeeper was a shade late getting down to it. All though Kelly had kept a magnificent goal, and the exclamation at Everton’s big lead was to be found in Everton’s all round strength. Wonderfully balanced, they did attempt too much finery and one felt sorry for Burnley, and in particular for their clever goalkeeper.
Half-time; Everton 6, Burnley 0.
When the game was resumed, Kirsopp and Donnachie in turn treated the crowd to a delightful exhibition of play on the touch line and Kelly showed safe method with a Jefferis shot after which Clennell was wide, and Kirsopp was inches too high. Everton wisely and in sportsmanlike fashion took matters easily now –six goals were sufficient to be going on with. One could not praise the Burnley players too highly for the dogged way they stuck to their guns. They worked desperately, although they made little ground. It was a pity Dunn was not better supported. He showed skill and wisdom, but the forward line of the visitors team was small and outclassed by Everton’s half-backs and backs. Now and again an Everton half back tried to score a hot shot, otherwise Everton were keen on goals. Mitton ran down the middle and raised hopes until he faced Robinson, when he was checked instantly. The game, always interesting commended to a little the form of Everton being so superior. Woodward, who started the game it quite refreshing manner, fell away through clinging to the ball and on one occasion his hanging on propensity led to a goal. Jefferis score from a mix-up in which a Burnley defender helped the ball into the net. The visitors had a punishing time, but had stood to their thankless task with rare courage.
Goal Scorers
Clennell scored for Everton after ten minutes
Fleetwood scored for Everton after 20 minutes
Gault scored for Everton after 26 minutes
Clennell scored from penalty for Everton after 27 minutes
Fleetwood scored for Everton after 30 minutes
Gault scored for Everton after 42 minutes
Jefferis scored for Everton after an hour.

September 17, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
No one wants to see runaway football, inspire of the pleasure goal-scoring, gives to spectators directors and the team that is scoring. Hence our appreciation of Everton’s indifference to goals in the second half of Saturday’s remarkable match at Walton. Burnley started as though they were about to turn form inside out, but the shielding shadow trio, Wareing, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, soon made its presence felt, and the easy-actioned home side came through to win like the class team they are. Burnley surprised the big crowd by their early work. They were nippy and good and Wood on the extreme right, fostered by Dunn (capable fellow this man, who bears a Freeman-like appearance) got Robinson into a tangle. But Wood wouldn’t change his style, and Robinson a handy player, soon stopped his gallop. Thence forward Wood was poor, and good work by Dunn was undone.
Skilled (?) German Doctors
Everton scored six before half time, and then eased up very patently till very late, when Gault made his total four against a goalkeeper named Kelly, who like Kempster, was loaned to Burnley by Everton. Time have changed, indeed, and the pooling of gates and also the pooling of players have resulted in good. Without the pool football would have been a farce, and players would have been lying idle while weak clubs desired to fill their ranks with any player of reasonable ability. Burnley’s Cup team of August 1914 has evaporated only Lindley remaining in the team. He was there, thanks to the medical science fraternity of Germany. Burnley toured Germany after winning against Liverpool; Lindley broke his arm, and a German doctor set it so badly that he has been rejected by the Army. That was in July 1914. Perhaps the doctor wanted to stafe somebody thus early on.
The Time Sheet
For the third week our clubs succeeded, the consequence being that they have this record, into played 6, won 6, goals 27, goals against 3. Clubs will tell, and I think I told you recently that the man who would field against either side throughout the season would be a bold man. This is how the score on Saturday;
Clennell scored ten minutes
Fleetwood scored –twenty minutes
Gault scored –twenty-six minuets
Clennell scored (Penalty)-twenty seven minutes
Fleetwood scored –thirty minutes
Gault scored –forty two minutes
Jefferis scored –sixty minutes
Gault scored –eighty minutes
Gault scored –eight-five minutes
But the feature from the Everton standpoint was the revealing of Billy Kirrsopp, who has come on with great strules, both in running and robust football since he joined the Army and had the benefit of the training which the Grenadier Guards offer. He astounded everyone by his pace and his method of carrying the ball along with him. If he comes back as we all hope he and all others will, Everton will find that their trail of this local youth was well worth the trouble. He has proved himself an artist but has latterly brought in his game a robustness and speed that seemed lacking heretofore. One other word. While Mitchell was called upon to make but one daring save, Kelly was “bored stiff” with work of varying character and always irk-opine. Kelly did marvelously well, Here’s a hand, sir!

September 17, 1917. The Evening Express
All the possible points and 27 goals to three, so there is not much wrong with “Everton” my masters, and if they keep up this form, which is more in likely, the “coupon merchants” will be giving them a severe miss. Saturday’s game at Goodison saw Burnley beaten by nine goals for the second time in three weeks, which proved that Everton have forwards who can shoot like a machine gun corps, and that Kirsopp’s residence down south has put yards on his speed. Now he is one of the fastest wingmen hereabouts, but he does no; sacrifice control, and some of his centres were splendidly placed. Donnachie also swung ‘em over with judgment when he remembered, but he hangs on too long at times. Gault’s rapid fire marksmanship credited him with four goals, Clennell had two, Fleetwood also notched a couple, and Jefferis beat Kelly. The latter by the way, is the Everton goalie whom Burnley had to borrow and he was the only one who played a consistently good game throughout. If he had lost heart as well, and the “Blues” had taken it into their heads to pile on the agony, a list of scorers would have been all I could have found space for in these days of smaller papers.
Kirsopp Re-appears
Kirsopp was on leave in Liverpool for the week end. He is attached to the 3rd Battalion of the Scots Guards, stationed at Wellington Barracks, and since joining the Army has not only put on weight –he is now 11st 6lbs –but has increased his speed wonderfully. At the battalion sports held recently near London he was the most prominent performer, and secured the highest individual number of points -23- receiving a handsome medal to commemorate the fact of his winning the Individual Championship. He won the 100 yards, 200 yards, long jump, and as final runner in the relay race made up a leeway of 40 yards – won the event and also the battalion championship for his company –Q Company – by so doing. He was also represented with a silver cup for his share in the proceedings. His victories helped to win the Challenge Shield, which now becomes the property of his company for the third time. In football his battalion has first claim on his services, but otherwise he helps West Ham. By the way, when he won the 100 yards he defeated his clubmate George Harrison, who is now in France. He played against West Ham for the Scots Guards, who were beaten 2-4 – Macconnachie figuring in the former team -but Kirsopp managed to score both goals for his side. He is going in for a commission (best of luck), and certain of his papers pertaining there were signed at Goodison last Saturday, Kirsopp by reason of his excellence in the field of sport, has become very popular down south. In the summer he won a medal for prowless in cricket and in quite another direction –bayonet fighting –has reached the final stages of an interesting competition, which he fully anticipates winning. His fine turn of speed created quite a surprise amongst the spectators at the Burnley match, and Everton need not look further for an outside right when Chedgzoy is unavailable.

September 19, 1917 Evening Express
Everton have selected their strongest side to visit Turf Moor on Saturday, Kirsopp has returned to his regiment; hence Murray, who stood down to allow him to play against Burnley resume at outside right. This will be the only change in the eleven which defeated the Turf Moor contingent by nine goals. The team, therefore will be;- Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie.

September 18, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Fulham had two welcome visitors home on Saturday; The first Tim Coleman, who though now a Notts Forest player, still has his home in the Craven Cottage ground, Coleman called out “Hello,Boss” Mr. Kelso was naturally taken by surprise and after shaking hands, he remarked “Well Tim you’re looking fine.” “Yes” remarked Coleman, with a merry (winkle in his eye)

September 21, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Burnley is one of a ring of old-time grounds that has a slope. Some players cannot master the slope. They play worse down the hill than up the gradient. Burnley’s ground is certainly a curious one, as Sunderland found in a certain Cup-tie when they could not “put the brake on” when they were pressing down the slope. Everton will find the match with Burnley a deal more difficult than last week’s and a Burnley can keep up the determined games they showed =well, another time they’ll make even the great Everton side go “all out” to win “F.E.H” as usual, will give you a complete report of the game, and the “Football Echo” is the only paper that will satisfy your needs, and also the needs of the boy in France to whom you send a football paper each week. Everton; Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Burnley; Kelly; Hastle, Kempster; Johnson, Heslop, Lindley; Woodware, Edwards, Mitten, Dunn, Woods.

Burnley News - Saturday 22 September 1917
It was freely reported in Everton last week that Harry Mountford has gone under.  One hopes that the rumour is false, for Mountford was a fine fellow in every way.  It was at the end of the 1910-11 season that he and Freeman were obtained, and in the eight match of the following season Mountford received an injury knee, which laid him up till the end of the same season.  He was not of much assistance in the first team after that, despite the fact that he had a cartilage removed.  On November 27th 1913, he was transfered to Third Lanark.  Harry was one of the neatest players of his day, and his injury robbed the football world of a good exponent of the game.  He was a native of Handley. 

September 22, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
Robert Kelso
The late Tom Watson had something to do with Kelso’s removal from Renton to Newcastle West End after “Bob” had secured half a dozen international caps. This was in 1888, but a season later Kelso came further south –into Lancashire –to vendor the great Preston North End club signal surprise for a couple of seasons, and first of which was a particularly successful one. But in “91” Everton advances proved too much for Kelso. For five years Kelso rendered Everton brilliant service as a wing half-back, his play being modeled much on the lines of that shown by Hugh Wilson and later by Crabtree. Then in 1896, he re-crossed the border to take up in the ranks of Dundee F.C. prior to this, Kelso had shown adaptability as a full back for Everton and it is worthy of not that thirteen years after he had gained his first cap (v. Ireland, in 1885) “Bob” was considered good enough for a place in his country’s eleven as a full back –also against Ireland. Kelso was at right back and had as partner another ex-Evertonian in Dan Doyle –the “Nick” Ross of Scottish football. “Bob” came back right South again –to Bristol –to join the Bedminster F.C., in May 1898. In fact, a real Bedminster invasion took place that month, quite a dozen players mostly Scottish going west to the Ashton Gate Athletic Ground, among the notabilities signing on for Bedminster this year being James Whitehouse the Aston Villa goalkeeper, and Malcolm Mcvean, the Liverpool outside-right of many days ago. Kelso’s going down” was none too brilliant, but it is irrefutable that during his Everton innings he was quite at the top of his class at a period in the game’s history when the general standard was very high.
A most remarkably equipped player of the long ago, under his head, was Pinnell, who, we believe, was originally a half back, but developed into a keeper of parts for Burnley and Everton. After taking into consideration Pinnell’s splendid length of 6ft 2ins, his reach was of the amazing order, whilst as a half-back his methods were of the unique order.
Kelly’s valiant, though periodically vain endeavours on Saturday helped to recall the Pinnell of Goodison’s early years.

September 22, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
F.E.H. Special
The tiresome and fortuous journey to Burnley was undertaken by the Everton team today through a landscape bathed in drizzling rain. The populous manufacturing town was reached in good time, and the players at once drove to Turf Moor. There the weather conditions were slightly better though there was still rain about with the sides appeared. The visitors appeared at selected, the only chance from last week being Murray in place of Kirsopp. Burnley were at much greater strength than the eleven that fared so disastrously at Goodison Park seven days ago. They were fortunate in being able to make no fewer than five changes, all for the better, Freeman, who is engaged at Birmingham happened to be in the district on a business engagement and found himself able to turn out. Bamford also had obtained leave, while Thorpe and Nesbitt also donned the colors of their club. The goalkeeper is a local lad, who has done good work with the reserves. It was six minutes later when the opposition lined out in the following order;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Burnley; Lovatt, goal; Bamford and Hastle, backs; Thorpe, Hyslop, and Johnson, half-backs; Woods, Lindley, Freeman, Woodward, and Nesbitt, forwards. There was a very small attendance when play began the Everton men having to face a strong variable breeze. The visitors at once made play on the left and from a neat pass by Clennell, Gault put the leather yards wide of the mark. There was a little exchanges of compliments in midfield, and the Burnley forwards advanced but it was in a very rugged fashion, and Thompson had little difficulty in sending them to the right about. Wareing initiated a promising movement which Murray and Jefferis tried to turn to profitable account but the latter was stalled off at the critical moment by Hastie. The home forwards at once took up the running again, and woods was splendidly placed, when he allowed Robinson to jump in and clear. The Burnley outside right tried immediately to make amends but he was offside when he shot.
Drawing First Blood
Everton, now roused themselves to some purpose and it was not long before first blood was drawn. Clennell getting possession raced clean through and finished with a ground shot which compelled the home custodian to concede a corner. This was well placed, and led to an exciting bully in front of the home goal, which terminated to Clennell netting at close range. It was a well-worked goal, and the cry of “off-side” on the part of some of the spectators was not justified. Having gained the lead, Everton proceeded to keep their antagonists on the defensive for a time, and Gault put in a splendid long-range shot, which was very ably fielded by Lovatt. A brief breakaway by Freeman and Co was pulled up smartly by Grenyer and the visitors left wing pair were again busy, but Bamford proved a stumbling block to Donnachie. We had another spell of midfield work, and Burnley, showing more combination were for the first time really dangerous. Freeman managed to elude the vigilance of the Everton halves, and he put in one of his old-time shots, only to find it safely gathered by Mitchell. The game was now being fought at an aggressive pace. The Everton forwards on the other hand, were extremely nippy, and frequently dangerous, though Gault missed one glorious opening. He had raced clean through, and had only the keeper to beat when he shot just outside the leather graving the upright. Following upon this there was a temporary lull, both sides appearing to ease up, and it was some time before.
Everton Set The Pace Again
They did so through Clennell who first put the ball over the bar when well placed and then gave the custodian a terrific handful at short range. Lovatt cleared well, and Burnley, making progress on the right, forced a corner, which came to nothing. The next movement of interest was on the part of the home left. Nesbitt and Woodard managed to get the better of Fleetwood but Thompson was quickly on the scene and removed operations. The visitors left were once more in the picture, and this time, Donnachie was at fault when he shot carelessly wide of the mark. For quite a considerable period the Evertonians monopolished the attack and shots were put in by both Gault and Jefferis, which were skillfully saved. Freeman, thanks to the good work of Hyslop was given possession, and looked like going through when Wareing intervened, and the visitors were again on the attack. They went down on this occasion in perfect orders and Jefferis taking a pass which deceived the Burnley backs scored with a raking shot. Being two up, the Evertonians relaxed their efforts, and we had some loose and uninteresting football in which neither side especially shone.
Half-time; Burnley 0, Everton 2.
It would be idle to suggest that the first half had been class football. It had been rather the reverse and was far too much one sided. Considering their strengthened side, Burnley gave a very poor display. Their forward work was scrappy and ineffective, and they were not really dangerous on these occasions. Freeman, apart from one good shot, had done nothing, and it was only the dogged work of the defence that prevented Everton’s lead being much greater. The visitors had shown cleverness and at times fine combination, but they had not made the most of their chances.
The Second Half
Fine rain was sweeping over the ground when play was resumed. Everton were the first to advance, and Lovatt had two hot shots to clear in the first few minutes. Burnley retaliated with a spirited effort, in which the whole front line was concerned, and Nesbitt was distinctly unfortunate in failing to find the target. Everton lost little time in replying to this challenge, for Jefferis going prettily through, put in a rising shot which the goalkeeper tipped over the bar. The subsequently corner was safely, disposed of when Jefferis came again. He put wide. Burnley wakened up in a spirited fashion for some time. The Evertonians were forced back on their defence. Freeman, Woodward and Lindley were all in turn dangerous, but they not permitted to ram their shots home. Nevertheless the home vanguard were now showing something like their old skill, and Lindley put in a long shot which might well have scored. A spell of long kicking on either side brought small advantage, and Everton were first to realize the futility of these tactics. Returning to the short passing they gave trouble on the left, and Bamford was beaten when Hastie ran across and cleared. This was succeeded by a lively passage at arms between Lindley and Grenyer, in which the latter came off best and Everton coming through once more Clennell was able to register.
A Third Goal.
It was rather in the nature of a gift, however, as it was due to a mistake on the part of Hastie. The Burnley back let the clever Everton forward in, and Lovatt partially clearing, was beaten at the second time of asking. For some time after this Everton virtually had matters all their own way. Wareing once tried his luck with a long drive, which was splendidly taken by Lovatt and then Gault and Murray both attempted to put a fourth on record. In this they were disappointed and Gault was in even a worse plight when he ran clean through and shot a matter of inches wide, a repetition of his former miss.
Goals Scorers
Clennell scored for Everton
Jefferis scored for Everton
Clennell scored for Everton

September 24, 1917. The Evening Express
Regarding the away match, my colleague, “Rover,” writes;
The game at Turf Moor was not so one-sided as the Goodison Park encounter, and the margin of five clear goals was scarcely a correct reflex upon the general run of the play. Everton’s pronounced success was due to the better understanding that existed when it came to a matter of driving home an advantage, and this respect their opponents were lamentably deficient. From the movements of the Everton players the issue was never in doubt. Clennell and Jefferis scored in the first portion, and in the latter period the former helped himself to two others, while Fleetwood, with one of his old times rushes between a host of opponents placed one to his credit. The left wing pair were again mostly concerned in advancing movements, and the understanding which existed between Clennell and Donnachie was complete in every detail. Gault kept the line moving in good style, but he was unfortunately off the target even when a clear course presented itself, otherwise the score might have been of a more pronounced nature. Jefferis maintained his improved form shown in the earlier matches, and with Murray completed a line that kept up a successful plan of campaign from first to last. The Burnley forwards were fitful in their movements which partook more of the nature of individual than combined action and which naturally were not likely to prove advantageous in opposition to Everton’s half back play. Freeman was not the force of old, and all along the line there was a lack of combination that did not augur well. The trio on both sides put in much useful work, though the advantage lay with Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, while Thompson and Robinson covered Mitchell with good judgment throughout.

September 24, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton got home solidly against Burnley in spite of the ground difficulty. Here’s “F.E.H” summing up for you, messicurs the jurymen;- “It is all very well to dissemble your love; but why did you kick me downstairs.” The is the classic query we can imagine the Burnley Club putting to the Evertonians. After defeating an admittedly weak side by 9 clear goals a week ago, the Goodison Park players met a much more strongly representative team at Turf Moor on Saturday, and administrated another sound thrashing –this time by 5 goals to nothing. Judged by these two matches the once-fashion East Lancashire club would seem to be in a bad way. Only hope that the second month of the season will see an improvement. On Saturday they had the benefit of being able to play such stalwarts as Freeman, Nesbitt, Thorp, and Bamford, yet neither of the quarter realized expectations. They certainly gave the side a balance and occasional flashes of their individual cleverness, but, truth to tell, the whole eleven were hopelessly out of the hunt. They were especially weak in front of goal, where time after time, well conceived movements faded, away to nothing. Everton were not altogether without blame in this same respect for had they made more of their chances, the score might well have been double. Still, there was always more method and understanding in the work of Gault and his wings, and after the opening goal they had the game well in hand. The first half realized a couple, Clennell showing the way with a very neat and creditable effort which was supplemented by Jefferis before the interval. In the second period Everton took matters very easily after Clennell had but them 3 goals ahead, but they came away with a tremendous rush at the finish and after Fleetwood had raced clean through on his own account the rapacious inside left placed a third to his own credit just before the whistle blow.

September 26, 1917. The Evening Express
The Everton F.C have come to the aid of the Sportsman’s Ambulance Fund in magnificent style, and their Anfield colleagues will not be behind them in assisting the great causes. As will be seen in another column, Mr. W. R. Clayton, the Goodison club’s chairman attended a meeting of the Fund Committee last night and promised that a collection should be taken at the “Derby” match on Saturday. With both teams showing such superlative form there is board to be a hugh crowd present and I want to appeal to ever body who can possibly do so to attend the match. By so doing you will see the game of the season, and also be able to swell the collection. Remember that every £1 saves a life” for when men are badly hit, speed in getting them to hospital is often the deciding factor between life and death. Boys out there are fighting for us, and as sportsmen we in honour bound, must see that they have a sporting chance. The directors have been fortunate in obtaining the services of a number of collectors to go round among the spectators but they would be glad of the services of others who would be willing to assist and any who will do so are invited to communicate with Mr. W.C. Cuff the secretary, who has the arrangement in hand, at the office at Goodison Park, and to report themselves there not later than 2.15 next Saturday. Mr. Clayton lost no time in getting off the mark for after the directors at their meeting yesterday in conjunction with Mr. McKenna chairman of the Liverpool F.C had decided that collections should be taken at Goodison on Saturday and Anfield the following week, the Everton chairman sent the hat round and reaped the useful harvest of £27.
Leiut Clayton Wounded
The many friends of the Everton F.C’s chairman will regret to learn that his son, Lieut W.R. Clayton of the Cheshire Regt was seriously wounded last Thursday, being shot in the chess. He is now in a hospital at Leicester and we all hope that before long, he will have recovered sufficiently to travel home and see his father’s boys continue their victorious career.
Everton’s Eleven
As was generally anticipated the “Blues” team to do duty against Liverpool will be the same as the one which trounced Burnley last week; in other words, their strongest combination. Mitchell; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie.

September 27, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
It is with deep regret that I learn that Mr. W.R. Clayton’s two boys have been wounded. As I said yesterday, our Liverpool clubs, are making stern offers to augment the amount at the Sportsman’s Ambulance Fund. On that point Mr. Clayton writes;-
“ all of us have some or our Kingsmen in the fighting line, and the appeal come home to us. In my own case my two son’s have been wounded –one of them severely wounded only last week, and there is no doubt that his quick removal to the base hospital did much to ensure the saving of his life.” Mr. Clayton asks that every spectator will seriously consider the matter and then give as his heart and conscience dictate. He recently invited the directors of the club to contribute to the fund, with this result;- Dr. Baxter, £5 5s; H. Halsall £3 5s; B. Kelly, £2 2s; J. Davies Jun, A. Coffey, H. Banks, £1 1s each. H.W. Burns, G.A. Williams, £3 3s each; F.W. Thompson £1 1s; W.R. Clayton £5 5s. Remittance may be sent to Mr. Cuff at Goodison Park.
Makepeace’s Brother Wins M.C.
Congratulations to the Makepeace family on one of their members being named in the honours list this morning. Second Lieutenant R.M. Makepeace is the third son of Mr. J.P. and Mrs Makepeace, 52 Oakfield road, Anfield. He joined the Royal Flying Corps in Canada and came to England last November, having been in the Dominion eight years in the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. After a course of training in England he went to France as a pilot last June. His brother Harry, the Lancashire Cricketer and international footballer, is a mechanic in the Royal Flying Corps, and another brother is in the Royal Irish Rifles.

September 25, 1917, The Evening Express
The prospects of Everton and Liverpool in the great game at Goodison Park tomorrow are being hotly discussed and, as usual the rival partisans cannot for the life of them see how their favourites can possibly lose. Two very important changes are being made, one in each eleven. The supporters of Everton will be in high glee, for I am able to inform them that Billy Kirsopp will figure at outside right, having been given special leave. On the other hand, Liverpool followers will be in the dumps. Campbell is unable to play. However Mr. Patterson has secured the services of Corporal Lovell, the Bristol City custodian who is at present in the Remount Depot at Ormskirk. Otherwise teams as usual and terrific tussle for supremacy is assured. The elevens will take the field as follows;- Everton; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Kirsopp, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie. Liverpool; Corp-Lovell; Longsworth, Lucas; Bamber, Wadsworth, McKinlay; Waine, Metcalf, Bennett, Lewis, Cunliffe.
A Good Example
The Everton directors have already set a fine example, a whip round by the chairman, Mr. W.R. Clayton have realized over £27 made up as follows;- Dr. Baxter, £5 5s; H. Halsall £3 5s; B. Kelly, £2 2s; J. Davies Jun, A. Coffey, H. Banks, £1 1s each. H.W. Burns, G.A. Williams, £3 3s each; F.W. Thompson £1 1s; W.R. Clayton £5 5s. Mr. Clayton wishes everybody to give, of course, but he wants them to think before they give. Very often when a collection box is placed before them they drop in a coin and let it go at that. Mr. Clayton appeals to spectators to think the matter over first, realize its importance, and then give as their hearts and conscience dictate. However, if you cannot go you can give, and all subscriptions will be grandly received by Mr. W.C. Cuff at Goodison Park, who will also be glad if collectors will report at the office not later than 2.15 p.m. Go and give, but Give in any case.


September 28, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Kenneth Campbell cannot help Liverpool tomorrow in the “Derby” game. Hus deputy is Corporal Lovell, a big made soldier, who is engaged at Lathom Park, and has had a run with Bristol City Reserves. He had a private trial with Liverpool some weeks ago, and impressed the officials of the club. W. Kirsopp, the Grendier Guard is home on leave again, and will play outside-right –a welcome surprise this. Kirsopp’s last great game at Goodison Park was a fortnight ago it is hardly necessary o remind our players of the vital necessity –in war days more emphatic is the call for cleanliness than in piping days of peace –of clean play. The men who have sported red or blue jerseys in Derby games during the last say twelve years have been sportsmen. They have shunned the dirty action and the consequences has been that Liverpool has become positively renowned for its clean, sporting Derby games. Let to-morrow be an added brilliant in the crown, Everton and Liverpool, and then the game must be enjoyable.
Asking for Trouble
By daring to suggest that one or other side will win I am asking for trouble as the war has not taken from us the ultra-partisan members who cannot give to critic credit for honesty of purpose or belief. However, I’ll risk all that and declare that I favour Everton because their forwards are the stronger. In a measure this is counter-balanced by the inexperience of Robinson, the Everton back, but before Robinson are three of the best-welded half backs I know – men who are fitted by nature and football skill to get Robinson out of a hole – if he tumbles into one. The crux of the morrow’s game seems to be in the battle between Liverpool’s tough defence and Everton’s class forward line, what will the answer be? You must get your “Football Echo.” Everton; Thompson, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Kirsopp, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie. Liverpool; Corp-Lovell; Longsworth, Lucas; Bamber, Wadsworth, McKinlay; Waine, Metcalf, Bennett, Lewis, Cunliffe. Referee; Mr. J.T. Howcroft, Bolton.


Lancashire Evening Post-Saturday 29, September 1917

Concerning Mountford and His Career

Mr. Cuff, the Everton secretary, informed me on Saturday that it had been rumoured in Liverpool for some weeks that Harry W. Mountford, the former Everton and Burnley player, had been killed in action, but he was not in a position to verify the news. On my behalf he kindly interrogated all the Everton players present at Turf Moor, but they, too, had only heard the rumour. “Personally,” remarked Mr. Cuff, “I sincerely hope the story proves incorrect,” and everyone who has come into contact with Mountford will echo the sentiment, for he was a professional footballer of singularly unassuming and affable traits. A native of Hanley, Mountford went to Everton from Burslem when the last-named club dropped out of League football.

September 29, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
It was in that 1899-1900 match at Goodison referred to that Raybould got his maiden goal for the Reds. But his side weakened through the absence of Jack Cox, failed to stay the course, and in the second half Blythe, of Jarrow (deputusing for Dicky Boyle), got the equalizer. Following which Settle sailed in with other two goals against Perkins. Strange to say although Everton had eleven more fixtures with which to complete their card that season, Settle did not once subsequently find the net. By the way, the Blues failed to Southampton in the first stage of the Cup that year, but their conquerors ran right away to the final ere succumbing to Bury. The great sting of that particular Cup-tie defeat surely lay in the fact that their former left wing idol, Alf Milward scored two of the Saints goals! How unfortunate it was that Everton, should lose a great a winger as Milward as they did. A little later another (eventually) great left winger was allowed to slip south from the Everton fold. This was the Irishman John Kirwan of Donnachie like movement. This Wicklow youth, after leaving Southport promised much in either left wing position. Going south Kirwan quickly achieved popularity with Tottenham Hotspur, gaining a number of Irish caps and English Cup medals honours. Reverting to Everton’s 1899-00 Cup-tie right back v Everton was none other than Peter Meehan, who two years before was a defensive artist of the true Macconnachie type in the ranks of the Goodison club. Peter unlike his Biblical namesake was most unimpressionable. He was cool to a degree in the hottest fight, and despite a fine turn of speed, seldom worried as would say Taylor of Burnley, re the matter of recovery work. Meehan’s pedigree was of the best, his various masters in turn, being Hibernians, Sunderland, Celtic, Everton and Southampton.

September 29, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
How The Solider Goalkeeper Fared
Kirsopp’s Game
The first of the half-dozen “Derby” games between Everton and Liverpool was played today at Walton, and the day was beautifully fine but not too hot for football. The crowd was the biggest of the season and the interest was at the highest point owing to the fact that neither side had up-to-date been beaten and “goals against” had been scarce. Unfortunately Liverpool were not at full strength owing to Campbell being unable to play –his arm trouble him. Lovell, who deputized for him, is an ex-Bristol City goalkeeper, who has been tried in a private game at Anfield. He is a thick set fellow, who has good credentials. Everton were happy in that W. Kirsopp the Guardsman, was on leave, and for the second successive home match was able to play with his old side. Teams; Everton; Micthell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Kirsopp, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards. Liverpool; Corporal Lovell, goal; Longsworth and Lucas, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth, and McKinlay, half-backs; Waine, Metcalfe, Bennett, Lewis, and Cunliffe, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.T. Howcroft was the “minister” of the day. Tram and train rushed the people to the ground, but the fax on the road was enormous and long after Thompson won the toss people continued to pour in, the crowd being probably more than 25,000 when the game stated. Everton’s half-backs were called in to work and when McKinlay miskicked Kirsopp became dangerous, the ball eventually being passed out for a corner which decision Kirsopp contested. The sun covered the greater portion of the field, and it bothered Liverpool’s rearguard. McKinley made the first shot of worth, following a free kick for a foul, perpetrated on Waine. The shot hit the rigging and there followed an admission by the referee of a mistake he had made, the ball being thrown up. The players didn’t settle down quickly, and there were an unusual number of faulty kicks by the backs. Everton at this point made an appeal for a penalty kick, without result and when Everton bore down on Liverpool’s defence they were inclined to over-dribble tactics which had not entered into Liverpool’s book.
An Extraordinary Incident
The like of the incident I am about to relate I have never before witnessed, Mitchell fall to the ground and clutched the shot that Metcalfe had sent in; then he rose, Mitchell was charged by Metcalfe with such force that the goalkeeper was being propelled over the goal line. Fortunately for Mitchell, Robinson had fallen back on the goal line, the goalkeeper bumping into him was able to save himself. Thompson bravely worked, headed out when Wadsworth headed in, and McKinlay was at a standstill when Kirsopp with the great speed jumped into the stride. The winger’s shot, however went right across the goalmouth. Metcalfe, keeping well up, was a prominent figure and kept Mitchell full employed.
A Save to Be Remembered
Mitchell failed to gather the ball when he ran out, but his recovering clearance was quite notable. Bamber from longish distance drove in a very fast ball, and Mitchell although unbalanced through running back to his goal, simply screwed himself up to reach the high ball, which he just managed to hedge over the bar. Liverpool had a good innings no, and they worked their corners effectively. Longsworth with a free kick came near scoring, Mitchell when unsigned, catching cleverly. Gault tried a swinger, and Jefferis was like Gault a yard too high. Before half-time Wareing fell lame, Bennett had an ugly looking toss, and Metcalfe was winded and there was a sensational wind-up, Bamber in the corner of the goal, prevented Kirsoff scoring when Lovell had left his goal.
Half-time; Everton 0, Liverpool 0.
Bee’s Lines
A capital first half. Everton’s half-backs dominated the situation; Mitchell made a sensational save; Jefferis the bane of the forward line; Centre forwards rarely seen thus far; Extreme wingers at a discount; Lovell did not pick up clean; Quite a clean game in spite of “bite” that crept in the game on occasions.
A Handsome Sum For Fund
The workers in connection with the Sports Ambulance Fund were very busily engaged and ladies and gentlemen cajoled the on lookers to give money to the deceiving cause. Both our clubs have given their unstinted aid to the cause, and the sum raised should be a big one.
Word From Sam Chedgzoy
The former Everton and West Ham winger is in France and in a letter he says;- we are getting plenty of football out here and we have a fairly good side that has not been beaten up till now. George Harrison joined us yesterday. We also have Jock Fulton (ex-Blues); Weir of Bolton; Weed the Ary U goalkeeper, and a few other useful men. So we have not had a bad side at all, we are at present about fourteen miles back. We came here yesterday. I don’t know how long we shall be here.
A Half With Ten Men
An interval of fifteen minutes was taken, and no sooner had the players resumed than Wareing went off, and he had no sooner gone off then Bennett score –time forty seven minutes. Everton’s defence as naturally spread-eagled, but Mitchell in a thankless position –Bennett was unmarked –got his hand to the ball but failed in stay its progress over the line. A foul by Wadsworth and Jefferis caused ill-feeling following which Metcalfe scored a simple goal. Metcalfe sent Cunliffe straight down his wing, and when the St. Helen man centred Mitchell’s half-hearted clearance left Metcalfe with a gift he readily accepted. There was a rest while Lewis recovered from a knock-out after which Liverpool had the greater share of attack. McKinley one time pained quite close and Bennett another time ballooning the ball.
Goal Scorers
Bennett scored for Liverpool after forty seven minuets
Metcalfe scored for Liverpool in 50 minutes
Galt scored for Everton after sixty minutes Gault scored with a brilliant shot at twenty five yards range.

September 1917