Everton Independent Research Data


Dundee People's Journal - Saturday 07 June 1919
 (By JAMIE GALT, Everton and Rangers.)
I'VE read many conflicting statements recently as to my football future , and it becomes a trifle monotonous answering questions on the subject.  One paragraph stated I would be at Goodison Park for certain next season; another volunteered the information that Ibrox was my destination; and down at Prestwick I heard, "on good authority,” that I was bound for Ayr United. Then again, my name was coupled with St Mirren, and Celtic Park was the guess in another quarter. I’ve been busy contradicting these statements. The plain state of affairs is as follows. I am not going back to Everton. Business reasons prevent my travelling to Liverpool, and when the Goodison Park officials heard how I was placed they assured that they would not put any obstacles in my way as far as playing nearer home was concerned. I appreciated their sportsmanship, and I thank them again. When Dumbarton heard how matters stood, the Boghead officials got into touch with me. The Sons of the Rock” were first on t
 he scene, and approached Everton about the transfer. But, after thinking over my position—and the growing demands made on my time my latest business venture —I came to the conclusion that if I played football next season it would have to be in Glasgow. Signing for Dumbarton and not being able to train Boghead was a stumbling-block. I prefer to fit myself in a pavilion where I can meet the members of the side I belong to. So I gave up the Dumbarton offer; and if I play football next season it will with Third Lanark. That’s all. I’m glad it’s off my chest. Answering questions and contradictory statements should surely cease now. If I strip, I strip at Cathkin.
Harmony and Success
I abhor anything in football pavilion. that interferes with harmony between the players. Without good fellowship success is impossible. Petty trifles have nasty habit growing into big grievances; and the Club official who doesn’t his utmost to clear the air thoroughly when discontent arrives, not doing his duty. The manager should the friend and of the boys-not cold-blooded, calculating official, assessing everything in terms of L.s.d.  It is as much to his interest that all should be well in the dressing-room as it is the interest of the players. Many a time I have discussed that point. The suddenly dropped player has often a legitimate cause for growling. Just imagine yourself in this position. You’ve been playing well; your place seems assured; and then without any warning you see unofficially in the columns of a newspaper that so-and-so is in your place in the team on Saturday. It certainly creates a feeling of uneasiness and suspicion in the mind of the discarded and if I we
 re the manager of Club, I’d cut out that little canker first thing. And keep the boys smiling all the time.
So Simple!
The plan to do this is simplicity itself. Take the half-back line, for instance. I would have at least four players for the three positions—the extra man able to take any place in the middle division. The beginning of the season would prove who the regulars were to be; but I wouldn’t work them to death. No machine can run without rest; and the boys would know in plenty time to prepare for the day off I would give them in turn. It would be a holiday. The lads would clearly understand that it wasn’t a case of dropping ; and I’ll guarantee they would play all tbe better for the knowledge. Utility men for the front and rear divisions would complete the plan. Simple, isn’t it! And human!
Then if a player had a grievance I'd let him air it fully, and make him feel that he had a listerner who would give him a far hearing.  If the matter were beyond me or my powers, I'd certainly put it before the Board; and if I thought the player was right in the contention, i would back him up, no matter what it cost.  Trivial matters I would deal with personally; but I wouldn't ignore a complaint.  One big fault I have with many clubs officials is the entire lack of sympathy they show towards the team.  It's the easiest thing in the world to come into the dressing room after a game and figuratively put a victorious side on the back.  "Well played, boys!" shout the officials; but when the same boys lose - oh, my! what a difference! Why don't the Directors come! Then and saw a few words of encouragment, instead of holding aloof in chilly silence?  "Hard lines, boys; better luck next time?"  would be appreciated a thousand times more than the vaspourings over a winting side.  Little th
 ings like that would show thought ulness.  There all too little of it.   to get back to the reminiscent vain.  i remember one season at the beginning when Joe Hendry was at left-half.  now, the Light Blues had a match on the Saturday, and a League game against Hibs at Edinburgh two days later; and I was told officially I was to strip for the first time that season at Easter Road.   On Monday I duly turned up and travelled with the team.  When we arrived at the Hibernian enclosure i, of course proceeded straight to the dressing room.  Judge of my surprise when I saw Hendry stripping.  i strollied casually over to the trainer, the late Jamie Wilson.  "What's the team Jamie?" I inquired.  "Same as on Saturday," he replied. at least, I haven't heard anything to the contrary!"
What Did Hendry Think?
That settled it.  I won't tell you what I thought, but I whistled as I made my exit to the terracing.  I didn't whistle long.  Ah Ibrox official got his eye on me from the stand and came over like a shot.  "What's wrong?"  he demanded.  "Didn't you say you were going to play?  Hurry up and strip or the kick-off will be delayed."  I felt far from cheerful.  It was merely a slight misunderstanding, but as the same time I couldn't help thinking about Joe Hendry and his feelings as he was told to put his clothes on again. A little thing, you’ll maybe say. Granted; but little things count in a football pavilion, and little things cause estrangements. Writing of Jamie Wilson reminds of an occasion when the trainer punished Billy Hogg, Herbert Lock, Alec Bennett, and myself for a little bit of “wangling.” We were all four keen on golf. On this particular day Billy and I had arranged to play Bennett and Lock; and kept it quiet from the other players. Why? Simply because we were suppose
 d to be training at Ibrox, not whacking golf balls over Ralston Course. How to get free from sprint and skipping was the problem, and Billy Hogg solved it. He whispered his plan to us, and voted it excellent. He arrived at the pavilion limping slightly, and Wilson eyed me compassionately. Don’t go out until I see your foot —what is it, your ankle?” he asked. I nodded, and sat down gingerly, winking at Billy, who had just entered, also limping slightly. Then Harry” Lock and Alec Bennett arrived, and groaned for the trainer’s benefit. Wilson was sympathy personified. examined the injured” limbs, and declared free from training that day. A minute before you put on your boots,” he requested, and downstairs he hurried. Too easy, lads,” chuckled Billy Hogg, doing a sort of Sunderland Highland Fling. “Jolly nice day for golf, too,” he added, subsiding suddenly as the trainer reappeared carrying a bucket. That bucket was filled with water that verged on the boiling point
 , and into it Hogg was forced to put his “ damaged” foot! “Keep it there until I get cloths,” ordered Jamie. “It’s the best remedy for sprains in the world. Bring up other three buckets o’ hot water,” he next shouted, and the four would-be golfers” sat on a form making frightful faces at one another until the water cooled. When Wilson was finished with us the legs he treated were too tender to carry their owners round a golf course. We didn't try to "wangle" Jamie Wilson again!
My Great Dillemma
one of the worst experience ever I had was before I crossed over to France.  We had a great regimental team.  Colin Hampson, of Motherwell and Chelse, was in goal; Lew Weller, Everton, was behind Alex Grosert, of the Hibs; and in front we had Pat Allan, Clyde and Celtic; Brown, Hearts; smith, Bradford; and Woodlands, Norwich City.  And Pat Allan was playing in deadly form.  We reached the final of the Army Cup, and our opponents, the R.A.M.C., had in their team eleven professionals, including English international Harry Hampton and Mosscrop.  On the Saturday before the final the officer in charge of our side called me in to his quarters.  "Quite a number of our lads have been assisting London Clubs in Combination games recently," he said "but I'm keen on winning this Army Cup, and I want you to promise that you will see that none of them play today.  You understand?"  I promised; told the boys; and away we went to watch the Fulham -Millwall game at craven Cottage.  Phil Kelso welcome
 d me with open arms.  "Thank goodness you're turned up, Jamie," he said.   "I'm absoluately stuck for a half-back, and your appearance in procidential.  Millwall have Davies at centre forward too.  Hurry up and strip."
A Terrible Experience
I hesitated.  What my officer said about our regimental team players came back to my mind; but Phil was in such a fix that I didn't very well like to refuse.  I stripped, "Oh, you blighter," hissed Pat Allen and Sandy Grosert, as I came out, "What did you tell us?"  "I hadn't to see you playing; but I never said a word about myself," I replied seriously; and I heard a lot of things as I walked past.  But again I paid dearly for "wangling."  I tore a thigh muscle against Millwall; and before we played the Army final I was swathed in sticking plaster.  I stepped on the field at aldershot a cripple, and couldn't report myself unfit for obvious reasons.  At time up it was a goalless draw; and I never felt so thankful to hear a whistle blowing in my life.  But imagine my chagrin when they made us play extra time - and I could scarcely stand!  I suffered agonies, and when Hampton scored the winning goal I bitterly repented stripping for Fulham, or ever going near Craven Cottage.   James H. Galt. 

Monday 23 June 1919 Dundee Courier
DUNDEE Hibs are getting their house in order for next season. Manager Reilly has accomplished a good piece of work by signing on W. Stalker the well known Scottish junior international back. He played a season with Everton who had a high transfer fee on his head.

Dundee People's Journal - Saturday 28 June 1919
(By JAMIE GALT, Rangers and Everton.)
PRIOR to going overseas 'with my regiment, I was stationed on the outskirts of Edinburgh. The weather was vile. The Pentlands were covered with snow, and the air was biting and raw. However, early on a Saturday morning I was told that some one from Glasgow wanted to speak to me on the ’phone, and over to the messroom I skidded. It was with Mr George Easton.  Would I play for Partick Thistle that day?  He was stuck for players and at his wits’ end. I hesitated. I was thinking of frozen grounds and barked knees. The kilt and sticking plaster don’t well together. I kept hesitating.  Mr. Easton assured me that Firhill was at that moment in perfect condition.  no snow had descended in Glasgow, frost had given way to thaw.  There was no danger of damage knee, and he was so hard up for men.  At last i consented.  To tell the truth I thought it was my duty to do all I could in a football way for any Club handicapped as they were then.   Now, when speaking at the phone I had clean forgo
 tten I was in Khaki and not my own master.  Immediately the conversation terminated I "found myself" I had no right to leave camp that day.  it worried me.  What would Thistle think when I failed to apear, and not for the world would I phone back to cry off.  Silly maybe, but there it was.
Felt Sorry For Myself
I broke camp at 9-30 a.m., after a hurried breakfast, trudged over two wintry miles and caught a tramcar.  Another half hour took me to Edbinburgh and I was just in time to get a local train for Glasgow.  now I've been on French troop trains when you could have picked flowers here and there between stops, and been in danger of being left behind, but that "local" was the slow limit.  We stopped at every station and at almost every telegraph post!  When we did ultimately arrive in Glasgow it took a taxi-driver all he knew to lane me at firhill in time to strip, and then, and not until then, did I know who patrick Thistle were playing.  'Twas Celtic!  When I trotted out with the "Jags" the pitch made me gasp. sharp frost had returned, and the ground was ice-bound.  By that time the day was cold and snowy in Glasgow, and I was beginning to realise that I was, among either things, more than a trifle hungry.  Nothing to eat since early breakfast and up against Celtic!  I thought of the pen
 alties of breaking camp, I was bound to be found out.  My name in Thistle's team would be in all the sporting papers - i'm telling you I commenced that game with mixed feelings.   In the very first minute I came down heavily on my knees, and several inches of skin peeled.  Kilts and sticking plaster -what a sight I'd be on parade! Nothing worse could happen then, and I skated with the rest.  All the same, when I left the pavilion with my knees cris-crossed with sticking plaster I felt sorry for myself -and that george Easton had 'phoned me.  What annoyed me more than anything else at the time was the fact that certain people said that I came through on purpose to have a tilt against celtic.  Until I reached Firhill I did not know who Thistle were playing, and the loud-mouthed vocal —and scribbling-  critics were wrong.  But I’ll never forget that far from perfect day on a far from perfect pitch. 
Tom Kelso’s Great Goal
Another memorable game comes to my mind —when Dundee were due at Ibrox, with Billy Hogg opposing Rangers for the first time. That was some occasion, and the ground was packed. It was also the first appearance of Scott Duncan and Tadger” Stewart, and many severely criticised the Ibrox management for dropping Paterson and Bowie for the Newcastle captures. The team had been going great guns —but that’s the way. The fact that Dundee beat us sent the critics looking for excuses—and faults —and I suppose it will always be the same. However, Rangers dropped their right wing, and two points were lost through one of the greatest goals ever scored on Ibrox.
it was a hard, strenuous game, and, honestly, I thought the Light Blues were winning it easily. But not a goal could we get, and “hard lines” count little in a points total. Midway through the first half the Dark Blues were awarded a free kick near midfield, and when Tom Kelso placed the ball with the obvious intention of letting fly at Johnny Hempsey the crowd laughed. That shot should be taken at that distance tickled the spectators. Personally, I thought it was a million to one against, but I was wrong. Kelso rolled his sleeves up slowly, backed a few yards, and deliberately eyed the distance between the dead ball and the goal. Then he struck that ball! Now, I’ve seen some powerful kicks in time, but that tremendous drive of Kelso’s was the greatest! Straight and true, it sped for Hempsey. Johnny saw it all the way, and made ready to clutch, but while our keeper caught all right, the terrific force he hind the thud forced the leather out of Hempsey’s hands, and Dundee we
 re goal up! The spectators were petrified, and when they found their voices I reckon both friend and foe alike cheered their appreciation. How would you like to stop one of Kelso’s penalties, Jamie?” chuckled Billy Hogg as we lined up. I wouldn’t —and said so.
‘Up Wi’ the Bonnets ’
However, Dundee won that game, and Billy Hogg strutted off the field as pleased as ever he was. By "mistake" he came into the Rangers’ dressing-room and commenced leg-pulling.  "We whacked them easier than the one goal shows, boys,” he said. I’m surprised that they allow such a moderate side to play in First League football. But great Scot! —I’m in the wrong dressing-room! Sorry. Up wi’ the bonnets o’ Bonnie Dundee!  Billy was some wag.  Curiously enough, Scott Duncan, who played his first game for Rangers against Dundee, was practically fixed up for Dens Park before he went to Newcastle. Everything was settled, and a Dens Park man met Scott in Glasgow by appointment. After lunch the necessary forms duly made their appearance, and just as the signature was about to be adhibited, an interruption came. A friend of the Dundee official wanted to see him for minute, and during that dmite Scott Duncan changed his mind. He bolted from the spot, and what the Taysiders thought when they heard that the star right winger had signed for Newcastle I leave you to guess. Sandy Grosert told rather a good yarn the other day. It concerns the manager of one of our First League Clubs.  The officials was after a junior; ran him to earth, and told the story star junior love to hear.  after a big struggle he managed to get the lad into that state of mind when a fountain pen is necessary.  but before signing the junior demanded "something down," and the manager smilingly dipped into his pocket for the cash.  He almost fainted when he discovered that he had left home with sufficient for the deal! The junior grew suspicious; thought he was being got at in some way, and flatly refused to sign.  Coaxing was no use.  "Money talks," and money was absent.  another manager was due on the scene at any minute, and the moneyless talent spotter grew desperate.  "Here," he said, putting out his gold watch and chain, "sign" keep these until I come back, and I'll redeem the articles wi
 thin an hour." He got the signature -and his 2pledged" jewellery back - trhe same evening.  James H. Galt.

Dundee People's Journal - Saturday 05 July 1919
When discussing England's aversion to the five-a-side game the other week, I omitted referring, as I had intended, to the unbending attitude of the English F.A. towards violations of their laws That attitude is as it should be. Rules are made for guidance, and if they’re not observed chaos must reign. But in many eases there's a slight difference between the letter and the spirit of the law. Take the matter of the penalty-kick. On numerous occasions it would be an injustice were the defending side to lose a goal through a paltry unintentional infringement. The letter of the law may justify the referee pointing the 12-yards dot; but circumstances have to be considered, and if in his discretion he allows play to proceed—well, no rule has been broken.  Now, one of the F.A. laws most jealously guarded by the English legislators is that whereby no footballer under their jurisdiction can kick leather during the close season, I expect "Jockey" Simpson and "Jock" McTavish know all about that.  They ought to, seeing that they were each suspended some time ago for taking part in a friendly game near Falkirk, when they were on the Blackburn and Oldham athletic lists respectively. 
What Did They Think?
That was a gross injustice to the players.  Not so much the suspension -though that was bad enough -as the fact that Simpson and McTavish didn't get the opportunity to appear in their own defence.  And, when all's said and done, the "crime" was really of too trival a character for such a body as the F.A, to trouble about.  The ex-Falkirk stars merely played in a select side opposing a local junior combination.  The latter were team-building; had a big notion of winning the Scottish Cup; and wanted to test their new players against a seasoned eleven.  No gate money was taken -but that didn't matter.  The Iron Heel descended, and the first Simpson heard about the business was when McTavish rushed round waving a paper a few weeks later.   "We've been suspended!" gasped "Jock."  What the two chums said afterwards I don't know - but perhaps you can guess. 
"Magnificent" Offer!
Just recently that english close-season law was disregarded, not so very far away from Partick.  A well-known Anglo-Scot was coaxed to take part in a certain eleven a side tournement, and played under an assumed name.  I won't tell you his real name; I'd have several gentlemen from England down strafing me if I did.  Well, after the mixed competition was finished the Anglo was accosted as he was leaving the ground by the Secretary of a Scottish Junior League Club, and offered $5 there and then to sign as a junior!   Of course, the official didn't know the Anglo's real identity, and he looked as crest-fallen as could be when he learned that his man was a full-fledged professional.  But that isn't all the story.  There's a sequal.  The Anglo treated it as a hugh joke, of course, and when writing to his manager "Down South" mentioned the matter, meaning to give the English official a laugh over the business.  The idea of a first-class senior being approached and offered terms to play junior as too good to keep in one country.   
Didn't See The Joke
But the manager completely missed the points of the joke.  he forgot all about the difference between juniors and seniors; despatched a hurried wire, and caught the first train North to investigate the matter!  He returned South easier in his mind, after delivering a severe lecture on the dangers of playing close season football while on the pay list of an English Club.  But it's a good joke, isn't it?  Just imagine a player of the standing of, say, Jamie Gordon or Davie McLeean being offered terms by a Club in the Scottish Junior League!  And the Anglo I refer to is just as well known as the two footballers I've mentioned.  We all have our off-days!  I'll never forget my worst game on the football field.  it was at Aryresome Park, Middlesbrough, when I played -or figured -in the Scottish League team against the English League.  "Twas a day I'd like to erase from my memory -if I could. 
The Saturday before being capped I caught a heavy cold at Shawfield; and although I'd been strongly advised by my friends to see the doctor, I was keen on the cap, and afraid of the medico, I had an idea I'd be told to go to bed and forget the Inter-League -and that I resolved I wouldn't do.
My Inter-League Failure
Well, the evenful Saturday arrived, and after a miserable week i made myself imagine that I was as right as could be when I stepped out to face the Sassenach.   No sooner had the game begun than I bitterly regretted turning out.  I was having alternate hot-and-cold perspiration baths; felt weak as a kitten; and could scarcely hold my head up.  I ought to have left the field, but being on -well I shut my teeth and made up my obstinate mind to see the thing through.  Never again will I do it!  Not for a thousand caps would I ever attempt in future to play football when unfit.  I was fair neither to the selectors nor to myself that day.  Then I felt absolutely too disgusted with my exposition to try to excuse my display on the score of sickness.  i did think of it, but dismissed the thought.  It was before -not after -the 90 minutes that the truth should have been told.  So I kept grim and quiet.  No, I'll never cease to remember that Saturday, and my immediate opponent, Buchan.  The Sunderland "Star" had a walk-over.  Charlie hadn't such an easy time on the next occasion we met -but that's another story.
My Football Bogey
When next I played on Aryresome Park I captained Everton against Middlesbrough, and thoughts of the Inter-League game would persist in cropping up. Harry Makepeace knew what I was thinking, and remarked that I’d probably play the game of life on this occasion. “You can tbe completely off form on two successive visits to the same ground,” declared this great footballercricketer. But. I wasn’t exactly dwelling upon the individual side of the business, although I considered Ayresone Park unlucky ground, and said so. “Nonsense!” retorted Makepeace. We’ll win all right. Everton are going strong, and we'll collect the points as sur, as Fate.” We did not. In the first place, I lost the toss, and faced a hurricane. Within 15 minutes were three goals down, and playing with 10 men! Fern was the injured Clubmate, and Makepeace went into goal. Now, I’ve seen some great goalkeepers in time, but on his display between the sticks that Saturday Harry Makepeace was as good as the best. He fisted, clutched the ball, dodged, and fielded with the inspiration of a Brownlie and the sang-froid of a Sam Hardy. Fern returned in the second half and relieved Harry, who received a wonderful ovation from friend and foe alike. I waskept busy against Middlesbrough. Elliott wasn’t playing, and a young reserve was trotted out. He gave me a lot of running about; had the idea nil right. No hesitation about him. Away to a winger he slung the ball, and off like lightning for the return. And his drives for goal had bit of pith behind them. “That's sortie centre, granted Tom Fleetwood as the woodwork above Fern’s head was almost smashed by a wicked firrst time drive. “What’s his name, Jamie? You should know him--he comes from Scotland!” I didn’t know him, then; but I quickly found out that the dandy young centre was Andy Wilson, who played so brilliantly for Hearts last season. And I consider that Wilson, young as he is at the game, has few, if any, superiors as an attack leader. He carries his wings along with him, knows to a nicety when and where to send (he ball, and even Willie Reid isn't a greater opportunist or Davie M’Lean a stronger shot.  Andy can dribble like a Jamie Reid, too, when dribbling is necessary. JAMES H. GALT.

Hull Daily Mail - Wednesday 16 July 1919
Robert Taylor, who always took pride in the fact that he was one the best men on the field in the English Cup final of 1904 when Bolton Wanderers met Manchester City, died somewhat suddenly on Monday.  Taylor, who had not been well for some time, was playing in bowling match at the Sunnyside Hotel, Daubhill, Bolton, when he had a seizure and died before help could be obtained for him. If he never soared to the greatest heights as a player Taylor was an exceedingly useful half-back. Though a native of Bolton, it was not until after he had had a spell with Everton that he was secured by the Wanderers. In the Cup final Taylor appeared in the role of outside left, and though strange to the position he stood out as one the best men on the field. He was bowler of some skill.

Stalker the old Everton and Dundee Hibs player, who turned out for Vale o Leven last season.
Wednesday 23 July 1919 Dundee Evening Telegraph
St Mirren F.C have been successful securing the signature of W.P. Wright, centre forward from Everton.

Dundee Courier - Friday 08 August 1919
James Gait, the well-known Rangers- Everton half-back, is reported to have been transferred to Third Lanark. Galt was a member of the Scottish Association team which met Wales and Ireland in 1908, and he also played against the English and Southern Leagues in 1912. Early in the war Galt sustained shell shock, from which he recovered, and, having been in training, is now quite fit for renewed participation in football.

August 12 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post
Joe Donnachie has been transferred from Glasgow to Everton football club, his is one of the most remarkable cases in that he joined Everton from north afterwards went to Oldham, then war broke out, came back to Everton, afterwards helped Oldham, them give help to Liverpool, and later returning to Everton and finally being signed by the Scottish club, at the back end of last season, and now he has returned to his early love, Everton. Everton have a practice match next Saturday at 3-30 pm, and on Wednesday the 27 th at 6 p.m.

August 18, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There was an excellent attendance at Goodison Park on Saturday, when the first Everton practice match was played. Considering the tropical weather, the football shown was quite good. Some of the young players on view showed district promises which the “old hands” did well. But it was much too hot for football. The sides were Stripes versus Blues, and the game ended in a draw of 2 goals each. In the first half Jones and Gault scored for the Blues and Stripes respectively while the scorers in the second half were Fleetwood (Blues) from a penalty, and Donnachie (stripes). The followings were the teams. Blues: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and W. Robinson, backs, Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, G. Jones A. Robinson, Mayson, McGrae, and J. Evans, forwards. Stripes: - Fern goal, Page, and Macconnachie, backs Brown Weller, and Williams, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards.

August 21, 1919 Dundee Courier
It will probably be of interest to “courier” readers to learn that James Galt, Ex-Rangers and Everton, has not yet been signed by Third Lanark it was his intention to sign for the Cathkin club some time ago, but he is physically unfit, and his decided to leave football for a spell, it is questable if he well ever be seen again on the football field, as his health will not permit of strentious exertion. Jimmy declairs that he would don no other jersey but Cathkin colours, so clubs managers need not apply for his signature. He is, naturally a bit cast down because his football days are numbered, but has various business that require his attention, so that his work will divert his mind from the grand old winter pastime.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Friday 22 August 1919
William Berwick, who has been signed on by Everton as a full back, formerly played for Glossop. 

August 28 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton are the first of the local teams to settle upon the side to open the campaign on Saturday next. As anticipated, there are no surprises, the side chosen being composed of the whole of the players who did duty so worthily during the war period. Donnachie resumes at outside left after his short sojourn across the border, otherwise the forwards are unchanged. The sides we know is a strong one, and should go far in the new campaign about to be inaugurated. The opening game is against Chelsea, who make a welcome reappearance at Goodison, and the Everton side selected is as follows: - Mitchell; Thompson and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer; Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie. The kick off is timed for 3 o'clock, by request of the visitors, who wish to get back to London on Saturday night. The Everton Res, team to visit Nelson, kick off at 6 o'clock, so ass not to clash with the cricket match will be: - Fern; Page, and Evans' Brown, Weller, and Owen Williams; T.W. Jones McQuarrie, Rigsby, Mayson, and J. Evans, Everton A team v Skelmersdale, at Skelmersdale: - Lawson; Berwick, Stott; Peacock, Lievesley, M. Jones; Howarth, Robinson, McGrea, Matthews, and Whitby.

August 28, 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
The second of the Goodison Park “trials” was decided last evening, when a fair sprinkling of spectators saw the Everton men indulge in some smart, if at times leisurely play. Naturally the Blues, or the League team, were on top, and without playing all out as it were, they won easily by three goals to two. Generally the league eleven, minus Clennell, who, however, is down to play on Saturday, showed that they have not lost any of their sprightly moves, and they found time to display fancy footwork which demonstrated their ability to control the ball when the time for serious work begins. Miller, the flying outside right, was very much in the picture, and Mayson scored a good goal besides showing promise in other directions. Mitchell and the backs did their work as accomplished artistes, and on the Stripes' side Rigsby and Jones were the most prominent forwards. Brown was a fine half-back, and Kirbyshaw, a youth who was given a trial, shaped fairly well. Fern saved some good shots and judgement and powerful kicking marked Macconnachie's interventions. Mayson, Miller, and Gault were the marksmen for the Blues, and Rigsby scored the Stripes' points. Teams : - Blues: - Mitchell; Thompson, and Robinson, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Mayson, and Donnachie, forwards. Stripes: - Fern; Page, and Macconnachie, backs, Brown, Kirbyshaw, and Williams, half-backs, G.W. Jones, McQuarrie, H.B. Howarth, Rigsby, and J. Evans, forwards.

Nottingham Evening Post - Friday 29 August 1919
Worksop F.C., have obtained the signture of Walter Scott, the well-known goalkeeper, who returns to the team of his native town after twelve years' absence.  Scott left Worksop Club in 1907 for Grimsby, joined Everton in 1910, and then migrated to Sunderland. 

August 30, 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
Prospects as regards the local clubs: - Everton and Liverpool –are of the brightest. The former have at their command the side who helped to secure the foremost position when last serious football was played –1914-15- with one exception, James Galt, who then led the side, having retired from the game and returned to Scotland. At present Chedgzoy, Harrison, Parker, and Kirsopp are doing duty with the Army, but it is hoped they will be released in a few weeks time. Meanwhile the Blues are replying on the side that performed so well during the past season, and with Donnachie once more on the left after a brief sojourn across the Border, and the speedy Miller, who has yet to make his reputation in first class football, on the oppose wing, plenty of work should be found for Gault, who will again lead the attack. The half back line – Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, who were the mainstay of the team during the past season or two, will again do duty, and here again there is no cause for anxiety. Further back Thompson and Robinson have proved themselves capable defenders, and with Mitchell guarding the breach, Everton should have no difficulty in opening the season with a win, for the opponents Chelsea, who make a welcome return to Goodison Park, do not appear to possess a side above the ordinary.



Sheffield Independent - Monday 01 September 1919
Everton 2, Chelsea 3
Over 30,000 spectators were at Everton on Saturday.  The home side had Mayson for Clennell, and Chelsea had Dale for Ford.  Play was even for 15 minutes when Harrow foulded Millar and Grenyer scored from the free kick.  Play afterwards favoured Everton, whose halves were very good indeed.  Five minutes from the interval, however, Wilding got away to score a splended goal.  Micthell saved well from Browning.  Whittingham scored from a penalty kick for hands.  Interval; Chelsea 2, Everton 1. 
Fifteen minutes after the interval Mayson headed the equaliser, but prior to that Chelsea had been the better side, and they got no more than they deserved when halse shot a fine goal in 25 minutes.  Everton were never able to recover, and on the play Chelsea deserved voctory.  They were cleverer, better balanced, and surer in defence.  Croal was the star forward, and of th others Bettridge, Halse, Dickie, Grenyer, Miller, Donnachie, and Mitchell did best. 

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 01 September 1919
A large crowd Nelson open their programme with a 2—l victory over Everton Res. They were a trifle fortunate in obtaining both points, for they owed one of their goals to a penalty awarded for what scarcely seemed a deliberate case of handling, while in first half they played without a semblance of organisation, and were literally run off their feet by the Everton forwards. This may have been partly due to fact that they had to face glaring sun. Whatever the cause, Nelson did not raise a single attack worthy of the name during the whole of the first 45 minutes.  The second half, however, a complete transformation. Gradwell, who in the early stages the game had been a source of at left half, improved wonderfully, and with the whole side working with more method, the balance of play turned strongly in favour of the home team. Yate played with marked ability at right half, never sparing himself, while Jacques was little behind. In the front line Broadley, who scored both goals, and Kellett worked together very cleverly, and were the better wing, though Rigby showed much promise on the other extreme. Wadsworth was the safer of the two backs. Hirst, though kicking cleanly, being on the slow side, Weller played an admirable centre-half game for the visitors, who had dangerous right wing pair in Jones and M’Quarrie.

EVERTON 2 CHELSEA 3 (Game 891)
September 1, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
To be beaten on their own ground in the opening game of the season may not augur well for the future. It would, however, be unwise to attach too much importance to this setback, especially as in the case of Everton there is plenty of material with which to strengthen the weak links. The initial defeat may hasten changes that would otherwise be delayed. That such changes are desirable is obvious.

Chelsea were unquestionably the better side –superior in ideas and quicker and more methodical in execution. The best part of the Everton side was the half back line, and it was this section only that did itself justice. The defenders with the exception of Mitchell, were unreliable, and the forwards never settled down to their proper game. True, the absence of Clennell made a lot of difference, but this fact alone was not sufficient to account for the weakness of the forward line.

Expectations were fulfilled so far as the size of the crowd was concerned, as something about 35,000 spectators witnessed the contest. It was an excellent game, especially in the first half. Both sides put in plenty of earnest work, the closing stages bringing plenty of excitement and incident. The first goal came at the end of fifteen minutes. Miller was badly knocked out, but he recovered sufficiently to take the free kick, which he placed nicely for Grenyer to head into the net. After Mitchell had got rid of a beautiful drive from Dale by tripping the ball over the bar. Wilding got away from a long pass, and although Robinson challenged the Chelsea leader he made a weak attempt to clear the ball. Wilding went on and from long range drove home a fast ball. At 42 minutes Whittingham gave Chelsea the lead from a penalty kick. Wareing's handling looked more accidental than intentional. Just prior to the interval the Everton goal had a wonderful escape from disaster, Abrams sent in a hard drive, which Mitchell parried, the ball hitting inside the upright and bounding outward into play across the goal. At the end Chelsea led by 2-1. The second half opened quickly and at sixty-two minutes Mayson scored a very simple goal. Miller sent across a beautiful ball, and Mayson, who was uncovered, headed through in the easiest and most deliberate fashion. Then came a struggle for the lead. Twice the Chelsea goal was almost captured, the defence at this stage showing hesitancy. On the other hand, Mitchell had the ball knocked from his grip by Wilding, and it travelled across the Everton goal out of danger. Twenty minutes from the end Halse scored the winning goal with a fine lofty shot.

Mitchell saved some deadly drives, and was particularly good with low shots. Both Thompson and Robinson were uncertain. They tackled well, but made poor use of the ball when they got it. The half-backs did excellent work. They got to grips with their opponents in resolute fashion, broke up many fine movements, and it was certainly not their fault that the Everton forward play sagged so completely. Jefferis was the only player in the forward line who displayed anything approaching the standard of football expected. Miller was speedy without being effective, and Gault was generally lost in a crowd of opponents. Mayson' tried hard but was outclassed, and Donnachie felt the loss of Clennell to such an extent that he was only noticeable with an occasional well placed centres. Molyneux was sound and Betteridge and Harrow tackled fearlessly and successfully. The Chelsea half backs compared favourably with the Everton trio. Unlike the Everton attack, the Chelsea forwards had a policy that made all the difference between success and defeats. Wilding was not an artistic leader, but when the ball was correctly placed for him he made good use of it. Whittingham was the brain of the attack, and Croal splendidly supported him, while both Dale and Browning were more than useful. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Robinson, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Mayson, and Donnachie, forwards. Chelsea: - Molyneux, goal, Betteridge, and Harrow, backs, Halse, Dickie, and Abrams, half-backs, Dale, Whittingham, Wilding, Croal, and Browning, forward

September 1 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
No details in local press.

September 3, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
In the First Division to-day Everton will visit Bradford, and in view of the defeat at home by Chelsea on Saturday, will have to show improved form if they are to win to-day. The same team that did duty against the Pensioners will play at Bradford with the exception of Mayson, whose place at inside left will be taken by Rigsby.

September 4, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
For their game at Park-avenue, last night, Everton offered trial to all but Mayson (injured) of the men who fell to Chelsea on Saturday. It was a fair thing to allow further effort for the men did not show anything like their known form on Saturday. It was a daring selection in a way, but it paid, and no one can cavil at a 2-0 victory, even if one question whether there is a shower team than the newcomers to the League. Bradford have a number of solid men, too solid, and the effect was made patent when the second half was started. Bradford could never live in the pace with Everton, whose generalship, combination, and shooting were much better than in their opening game. What faults there were are minor ones, and a general improvement all round must be chrosticed.

This was most noticeable at back, where Thompson played his old confident game, and got a steady help from Robinson. The half-back line revealed capacity for attack after robbing the opposition, and there was cohesion and shot in the forward rank, in which appeared a nice type of a shooter. Rigsby, a local who got among the goals and would have fared even better had he placed on one occasion instead of banging the ball, which hit the foot of the upright. Some would say it was a case of “hard luck” for the shooter. I prefer to call it a bad miss and a failure through utterly wrong tactics. Still Rigsby is strong, and when he has learned to head a ball and to command it he will be a big asset to the club. Donnachie, by his side did many cute things without showiness and with effect; Jefferis was clever, and a worker for others; Gault if unable to keep his shots low wanted careful and constant watching, and Miller made a number of electric runs, winding up one with a glorious shot that Scattergood edged away. The ground was in a bad condition, the turf being very uneven and the grass likewise, so that accurate play was always awkward, but surely Bradford had the benefit in this matter, as they knew their “cabbage patch.” Their display, save in goal and at half back were mediocre. The international winger, Turnbull, had as few kicks at the ball as the linesmen, and he developed a mania for handling the ball when it was thrown in by an Everton half-back.

Bradford did not enjoy an attack for 20 minutes, and 12 minutes later came the opening goal. Donnachie had hoodwinked the big back Watson and passed inward. Rigsby's shot was blocked. Grenyer's succeeding drive had the goalkeeper guesting and half-clearing, and Gault took the rebound close in and made no error about it. Little's retaliation was instant; Mitchell made a mighty save and then Bradford's stock went to zero again. Everton should have been in a stronger position in the first half, but they faced a resolute defence, and one of Grenyer's headers was but inches wide of the mark. Bauchop formerly an inner forward, made the best effort in the second half a bouncing shot being near but not quite on the target, after which point Everton had matters pretty well their own way, Rigsby ten minutes from time making good use of the ball without needless waiting. Jefferis set Donnachie going, and the Scot eluded a foul charge and centred. A defender threw himself at the ball and headed a few yards away, where Rigsby pounced on it and scored a very sound goal.

Everton's confidence in defence counted for much in the improved display, but the key to victory was at half-back, where Wareing completely held up Waite, and on the wings found Fleetwood and Grenyer in effective form. It was far from an illuminating game yet it served to reintroduce Everton's normal game, and proved that the form of Saturday was at least unreliable. Save in goal and in patches at half back, Bradford were second class. It will be necessary to see Everton pitted against better talent ere forming a definite judgement on their season's outlook. Of course they could not do more than win at Park Avenue, and the win will gave them what they showed they most needed confidence in themselves. The teams were: - Bradford Park Avenue: - Scattergood, goal, Watson, and Dickenson, backs, Crosier, Howie, and Scott, half-backs, Turnbull, Little, Waite, Crowther, and Bauchop, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Robinson, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Rigsby, and Donnachie, forwards. Referee Mr. J.T. Hornby.

Sheffield Independent - Thursday 04 September 1919
Bradford 0, Everton 2
At Park Avenue, Bradford, in fine weather, before 10,000, yesterday. The ground was in excellent condition. Everton played Rigby, vice Mayson injured, and Bradford Dickinson vice Blackham, and Howie vice Brown. Gault scored for Everton after 31 minutes, and Rigby after 80. The Everton forwards played clever football, far superior to the Bradford line. Bradford wasted many chances towards the finish, but were well beaten.  Jefferis, of Everton, was the finest forward on the field.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 04 September 1919
The form displayed by the Bradford team at the opening match of the season on their own ground, played last evening against Everton, before some 10,000 spectators, was far from satisfying.  The quality of their work varied greatly; it lacked finish, and there was anything but a good understanding.  By comparison they were neither sufficiently vigorous nort prompt in their efforts, and they made the very serious mistake of neglecting their wings.  Though the Avenue men played a good game in thefirst half, the contest was mainly in the territory.  The home defencewas kept well emplyed, and Rigby made shots from dangerous positions.  Scattergood at the expense of a corner kept out a dangerous oblique shot by Miller, but at the end of thirty minutes the home defence was beaten.  Grenyer fired and though Scattergood kept the ball out he did not clear his quarters.  He also fell, and Gault had an open goal into which he put the ball.  A minute later the home defence was again beaten, but Rigby's shot hit the upright.  Scattergood had again to save Miller, after which the home forwards became aggressive.  Turnbll fired wide, and when Little got in a good shot MItchell proved quite safe.  Half-time score; Everton 1 goal, Bradford nil.   Bauchop sprinted past the visiting backs after the resumpton, but his shot was wide, and when Waite was given a possible opening he drove wide.  The Avenue atatck was now more in evidence, but the Everton defence was clever.  The Everton wings were speedy, and caused anxious moments, but Scattergood saved when Donnachie again fired straight.  Little was just too late to make use of a fine centre by Bauchop .  Then Donnachie contributed another of his sparkling runs, and Dickenson headed the ball feebly.  This left an opening for Rigsby, who scored with a ground shot.  After passing by Turnbull and Little, Waite should have scored.  Later he put the ball wide from another splendid position.  Result Everton 2 goals, Bradford none.  teams; Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Risby, and Donnachie, forwards.  Bradford; Scattergood; Watson and Dickenson, backs; Scott, Howie, and Crozier, half-backs; Turnbull, Little, Waite, Crowther, and Bauchop, forwards.  Referee, Mr. J.T. Hornby.    

September 5, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The directors of the Everton Football Club last night decided upon no fewer than six changes in the team to meet Chelsea at Stamford Bridge to-morrow, compared with the side that won at Bradford on Wednesday. Four of these changes are due to the fact that three of the clubs soldier forwards will be available, and that Clennell has recovered from his injury, and will also make his first appearance of the season. Macconnachie will play at full back, and Weller appears at centre half. The following is the selected team: - Mitchell, Thompson, and Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Weller, and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Gault, Clennell, and Harrison. The newcomers take the places of Robinson, Wareing, Miller, Jefferis, Rigsby, and Donnachie, who were in the team that defeated Bradford. The Everton Reserve team for the Central League match against Nelson at Goodison Park will be Fern; Page, and Evans, Brown, Lievesley, and Williams, G. W. Jones, A. Robinson, Howarth, Gray, and Evans.

CHELSEA 0 EVERTON 1 (Game 893)
September 8 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
It fails to the fortune of few clubs to secure points at the openings of the season on opponents' ground, and as the Everton players have recorded two successive victories within four days they may be said, despite their reverse at Goodison Park on the first day of the season to have opened the campaign in distinctly promising fashion. The changes announced of the constitution of the side to oppose Chelsea, following upon the success achieved at Bradford on Wednesday last, led to some misapprehension among followers of the club as to the advisability of disturbing a winning side. An impression had got abroad that certain players had been dropped, but this was not so. The directors of the club had stenuous work in the first few days of the week, decided to give several of the men a well earned rest and this was rendered possible by reason of the fact that they could give a game to a trio of their soldier stalwarts who were stationed in the Country. Then Clennell was reported ill, and in the rear line it was considered advisable to rest Wareing and Robinson, deciding that Weller and Macconnachie were fresh and eager for a game. On the face of it, it would appear a somewhat dractive procedure on which to embark, but it was adopted purely as a matter of policy in the interest of the players themselves. The executive of the club on the one hand are devise as they have always been, of showing every consideration to their servants, while the players are determined to give of their best. This is as it should be, and the rest may besafely entrusted to the keenly keen supporters in and around the district.

It transpired that Clennell was not quite ready to take part in the game, so that Rigsby was afforded another opportunity of displaying his quality. The Chelsea management had to make changes in their ranks as Bettridge was on the sick list and Dickie had injured his ribs. Places were thus found for Walker, who acted as pivot, and Marshall appeared at right full back, these being the only alterations from the side that surprised Liverpool folk on the previous Saturday. There was a hugh crowd bordering upon sixty thousand at Stamford Bridge, and these witnessed if not a brilliant exposition of the game, at any rate a whole hearted tussle for supremely. The players were apparently over worked by the important of the occasion, and some time had elapsed here they settled down to really classic work. The forwards were over anxiety when in shooting, it was Everton who never relaxed. Still a deciding point was a long time in coming, but it eventually came the way of Gault who after a smart movement by the whole the line, delivered a first time shot that left the Chelsea custodian helpless. This was followed by a powerful drive at close range from Rigsby and only Molyneux smart anticipation could have saved the situation. Everton development of their plan of capaign had been slow but sure and having settled down they demonstrated in their opponents that individual brilliance won the game.

Coming to the players, the mark of the respective half back line most caught the eye. All doubts as to the ability of Weller to stand the strain of a stremous encounter were seen set at rest. He had a big task on hand in dealing with the movements of Chelsea's burly centre forward and these on either side of him, and through he was occasionally outwitted he generally made a good recovery, and rendered effective headwork that upset the designs of Chelsea's inside forward play. Grenyer too, had quite a busy time in dealing with the strongest link in the home forward line, and Fleetwood completed a trio that was as successful in defence as in providing openings for their own forwards. On the home side Abrams played a great game in subduing Everton's right wing pair, while Walker, of Dundee fame, was a bust pivot, and with Halse was generally successful in their anticipation of Everton's advancing movements. In forward play Everton were best served on the left wing, where especially in the closing stages. Harrison was quite a host in himself. He had Marshall beaten frequently, and many of his centres deserved better results, especially just after the interval, when an extre effort in the middle might have had an earlier foundation to success. Rigsby was quite a useful partner, and rarely missed an opportunity of firing in Grenyer kept both well employed, and many were the triangular movements between these three that led to the undoing of the Chelsea defence. At the other end of the line Chedgzoy and Kirsopp were frequently concerned in incisive advances but they were up against a stern pair in Abrams and Harrow, and were generally rushed off their game when close quarters were reached. Gault kept the line going well despite the close attentions of Walker, but he was prone to infringe the offside rule, a breach that neutralised several fine movements on the part of the wingmen. His goal, however, was one of the first water. There was to foraging for position, and ere the home defence could size up the situation the ball was safely depatched to the net. Chelsea forwards work was fitful, sometimes brilliant, sometimes moderate with cohesive, movement the least prominent feature in their display. Ford was mostly concerned in flashes to the Everton end, and frequently centred well, but Whittingham was not allowed much scope, and his fighting touches usually so dangerous, caused few quains to the Everton defenders. Wilding was a brusting centre, ably kept off the his game while Crowe and Browning did well in the early stages, but tapered off at the finish. Everton's last line of defence were splendidly served. There was a fine understanding between Macconnachie and Thompson, and to the critical eye their plan of campaign, in conjunction with the half backs, had much to do with the triumph of their side. Mitchell and Molyneux did all that was possible in their respective goals, and while Harrow in particularly, and Marshall, were sterling defenders, their interventions and clearances did not reach the high standard of efficiency attained by the Everton backs. Teams: - Chelsea: - Molyneux, goal, Marshall, and Harrow, backs, Halse, Walker, and Abrams, half-backs, Ford, Whittingham, Wilding, Croal, and Browning, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Gault, Rigsby, and Harrison, forwards. Referee D.H. Asson.

September 8 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The first meeting between Everton and Nelson at Nelson resulted in a narrow win for the home side by 2 goals to one. On Saturday Everton reversed the score and scrambled home winners by 4 goals to 2. At the outset it looked as if the Goodison boys were going to carry all before them, but their shooting was wretched. Nelson improved, and actually took the lead through Broadly. Robinson equalised with a header and one minute later beat Hurst again with a good shot. Broadley equalised the score in the second half and Jones and Evans added further goals for Everton. The chief feature of the match was the fine wing work of Jones. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Page and Evans, backs, W. B. Brown, Leivesley, and Williams, half-backs, Jones, Robinson, Howarth, Gray, and J. Evans, forwards. Nelson: - B. Hurst, goal, G Hurst, and Wadsworth, backs, Yates, Jacques, and Bradwell, half-backs, Rigby, Ingham, Greenborough, Broadly, and Kellett, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 08 September 1919
About 60,000 spectators witnessed this return match at Stamford Bridge, in summer weather.  The Northerners effected numerous changes, whilst Chelsea lacked Betteridge, who was ill.  Everton combining cleverly haf the better of the opening exchanges.  Croal used his head well, and Abrams hit the bar, but the lively ball affected the accuracy of the shooting.  Kirsopp could not reach a centre by Harrison, with an open goal.  At the interval neither had scored.   Play had gradually fallen off, and on resuming further deteriorated, the weather being hot.  Mitchell cleared nicely from Wilding, and Gault nearly scored at the other end.  Fifteen minutes from the finish the same player beat Molyneux with a good shot.  Each atatcked in turn after this, but the football was poor, and Chelsea, after opening with a couple of victories thus suffered defeat.  Result; Everton 1 goal, Chelsea none. 

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 09 September 1919
At Goodison Park, Liverpool, before 15.000 spectator. The opening play went in Everton's favour, Scattergood having a warm time, the visitors' goalkeeper being called upon to save shots from Gault. Rigsby, and Miller. Generally, Everton did everything but score, Bradford only occasionally breaking away.  Two minutee from interval Miller raced away, and beat Scattergood with great shot, and Gault missed a fine opening. Interval; Everton 1 goal.. Bradford none. The visitors showed up better on resuming, but later Everton dominated the situation in marked degree, but Scattergood and his backs were very safe, and the keeper cleared numerous shots from all quarters. Blackham and Dickinson defended in most able fashion. Bradford subsequently pressed, Maconnachie saving grandly from Tumbull. Gault scored a second for Everton ten minutes from the finish Result: —Everton 2 goals, Bradford none.

September 9, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Bradford clubs seem to have stored up their best goalkeeping for the benefit of Merseyside teams. Ewarts great exhibition at Anfield for Bradford City, On Saturday was followed by an even more sterling display who well merited the ovation, which greeted him at the interval and at the final of the Goodison game last night. Everton won by two clear goals, just as they did in the first meeting at Bradford, so that in the meetings of Yorkshire and Lancashire clubs. Bradford has conceded the whole eight points, Scattergood's goalkeeping overwhelmed every other feature of a game that had a strong and hot first half and a rousing second half. He was without show or display, simply getting to all shots with a calm confidence and a sure catch that made the crowd of nearly 20, 000 people wonder how the Everton forwards could get a goal beyond him. Everton were all attack so much so that Mitchell had but one shot of any real string throughout the game; albeit he once had to smother a centre, and did so at risk to himself. As against that, however, Scattergood's really great saves ran into double figures in each half. Jefferis once had him beaten, but the woodwork of the goal saved him, and it took a full forty minutes for Everton to break his defence, the point being a rather curious one, in that Miller, a right winger, scored with his left foot, a hook shot which Scattergood did not move to try to save. Probably as the ball was going away from him he felt he had no chance, but the fact remains that he made no effort and appeared to have made a minor blunder. But what was that compared to the host of punches, catches and kick clearances he made. Practically the whole of the second half was spent in trying to find the goal keeper's weakness, long and short shots being tried by Gault, and Rigsby, who almost tired of hoping to find Scattergood fail, but near the end of the day, Fleetwood made a solo dribble, and instead of shooting over, as he generally does, he placed a square pass to Gault, who first time shot found its mark. While apportioning most praise to Scattergood, it must be said that his backs gave great help in a big task, and that Scott was a fine half-back. Bradford's'fault in attack was over-claboration and failure to make a combined movement. McCandless was subdued for long spells; Turnbull did not repeat the form he showed on Goodison ground when he first represented England against Scotland, try he never so hard, and while Crowther was a better centre forward than Waite had been he would not get the line working to any tangible result, Bauchop again being below par. Crozier hurt rather badly late on was a hard working pivot, who came out of a continual attack upon his lines with good points, bit it struck us that Bradford still need more speed all round, as well as a more penetrating attack. The winning side was well balanced, although it had not the benefit of the soldier players who won so surprisingly, at Chelsea last Saturday. Thompson and Macconnachie kept a good defence, if they did overkick the ball at times. The wing half backs of Everton were the great power, and Wareing's only fault was a faulty pass after making good in a battle for possession of the ball. Forward Miller was with Rigsby the best attacker, ever on he go and not afraid to shoot. Donnachie put forward some bonny centres, and Gault kept outside more than in his wont. Jefferis was canny and clever. Teams. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Rigsby, and Donnachie, forwards. Bradford: - Scattergood, goal, Blackham, and Dickenson, backs, Brown, Crozier, and Scott, half-backs, Turnbull, Howie, Crowther, Bauchop, and McCandless, forwards.

Burnley News - Wednesday 10 September 1919
In the return match with Everton Reserves on the latter's ground last Saturday, Nelso failed to repeat their success of the previous weekend, the home team winning by 4 goals to 2.  The game was fast and well contested.  The home side made the first advance and good play by Gray, and Evans ended in Howarth shooting too high when well placed.  Immediately following the goal kick the visitors press and Ingham's shot was partially saved by Fern, who slipped and Broadley had no difficulty scoring for Nelson after four minutes play.  For some time the visitors were put on the defence.  One fine centre from Jones was curling into the net when Hurst kicked away and cleared.  It became more open, both keepers having to save some smart attempts.  Jones on the Everton right, sent in some telling centres which always looked dangerous.  Fern saved smartly from Greenhalgh, Jacques and Ingham.  Everton did most of the attacking, but the finishing was weak. Robinson equalisewd after half an hour's play with a fine header and a moment later the same player gave his side the lead. 
Halftime; Everton 2, Nelson 1.  
The second half had only been in progress two minutes when Broadley equalised.  Nelson were now having a full share of the play, but had queutly their defenders had a gruelling time, and Hurst was almost beaten in goal by three shots.  In the closing stages Jones and Evans added further goals for Everton.  The teams were;- Everton; Fern; Page and Evans, backs; W.B. Brown, Livesey, and Williams; Jones, Robinson, Howarth, Gray and J. Evans.  Nelson; B. Hurst; G. Hurst and Wadsworth, Yates, Jacquues, and Gradwell; Rigby, Inghan, Greenhalgh, Broadley, and Kellett.

Sheffield Independent - Monday 15 September 1919
Throstles Beat Everton in Tall shooting Game
West Brom 4, Everton 3
West Bromwich Albion further improved their record on Saturday by a capital victory over their rivals, Everton, by four goals to three, at the Hawthorns.  It was a game that thrilled, commencing with a goal for Everton in the opening minutes, and continuing right up to the final whistle.  Albion fully merrited their narrow win, but they are not likely to encounter again such a tough struggle for so slender a lead.  The visitors effected the cleverest and most persistent opposition Albion had yet received and they came so near to snatching not merely one point but possibly two, that Albion supporeters welcomed the end with some relief.  It was a splendid game and Everton created a great impression.  When it is stated that the forward line were without Chedgzoy, Kirswopp and Harrison, one wonders what their full strength is like Albion's strong man was Bowser, who was masterly in defence and atatcka like.  The home forwards played a fine game.  The attendance was officially given at 31,000.  The scorers were; West Bromwich; Gregory, Crisp, Morris, Everton; Macconnachie (penalty), Jefferis. 

September 15, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A memorable match worthy of the best traditions of the code was witnessed at the Hawthorns on Saturday, when Everton went under by the odd goal in seven. It was a contest of exceptional brightness, episode, and incident. The only fly in the ointment, from an Evertonian point of view, was that the side should have succumbed in the final five minutes of the game. Having first led and subsequently held their neat and nippy opponents, the visitors ought at least to have kept them at bay for the short space indicated. That they failed to do this showed a certain element of slackness –perhaps pardonable enough under the exciting conditions –that cost them a couple of valuable points. Taking the game as a whole, there was not a great deal to choose between the rivals. Both were well balanced, speedy, and obviously keen. In the first period, West Bromwich had slightly the advantage, their forwards creating more openings than Gault and his wings. Many of these however, were quite thrown away, and indeed, it was only just before the interval that they placed themselves ahead. In the second half Everton improved appreciably, showing a much better understanding than before, and it looked as though honours would be easy when that grateful fourth goal came.

In spite of light drizzle, which continued throughout the game, a crowd of 30,000 followed each varying phase with undiminished enthusiasm. Everton at the last moment found themselves without Chedgzoy and Harrison, and the forward line had to be hastily reconstructed. Miller and Jefferis forming the right wing, and Donnachie appearing at outside left. These disposition worked effectively enough, for a sensational start was made. Donnachie getting straight away, forced a corner, and from this Jefferis scored after Gault had grazed the leather with a timely shot at short range. Then followed a fine display of fast and vigorous football in which both sets of backs were frequently extended. The three Albion inside forwards were extremely troublesome, and though in the main well held, they often got through, only to fail with the finishing touch. It was left to Magen to gain the equaliser, and this he did with a tremendous shot at an awkward angle. From this point to the interval the Throstles enjoyed a shade more of the attack than their antagonist –though Donnachie and Miller experienced hard luck on more than one occasion –and they set the seal on this slight superiority when Morris put his side ahead. This second goal was secured when Mitchell, who had run out, was lying prone and of course helpless. Crossing over, the visitors as already stated, took up the gauntlet in fine fashion and soon met with their reward. Grenyer, who was lying well up, flashed the ball across the goalmouth, and Pennington in his haste handled. The penalty kick was entrusted to Macconnachie, and he drove the leather hard into the net. The succeeding stages were a progression in thrills, Everton were once beaten back, and Gregory with a flying shot, scored the third goal rather luckily. The visitors were quick to respond and following upon a well-judged service by Wareing, Gault put the score level again. Then, at the eleventh hour, the visitors were caught napping, and Crisp secured victory with a high shot which curled into the net and which ought to have been saved by the keeper.

All things considered, Everton's exhibition, especially after changing ends, left little to cavil at. The forwards did not, perhaps weld as they might have done, and Gault was distinctly work at times. Rigsby also failed to show that standard of excellence which a looked for in a team of this calibre. The halves were clever, though Grenyer was inclined to roam at times. No fault could be found with the backs; but Mitchell was not in happy mood. He showed a disposition to leave his charge on the least provocation, and two of the shots that told were due to this. Albion are a strong well-balanced side. They had not the polish of their opponents, but this was more than compensated for by directness of purpose. A. W. Smith, at centre forward was always a force to be reckoned with, and Magee and Morris were valuable aid. Bowser always held Gault, and both backs were sound. Teams: - West Bromwich Albion: - Pearson, goal, J. Smith, and Pennington, backs, Richardson, Bowser, and McNeal, half-backs, Crisp, Magee, AW. Smith, Morris, and Gregory, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Gault, Rigsby, and Donnachie, forwards. Referee PW Annal.

September 15, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The first meeting of the season between Everton and Port Vale at Goodison Park on Saturday, ended in a victory for the visitors by 3 goals to 1. Some capital football was shown, especially in the second half, when the score stood one, goal each. Everton were the first to press, and Weller almost did the trick with a lighting shot, Hammond saving smartly. The visitors got going in fine style and Briscoe receiving from the left, beat Fern easily. Near the interval Jones equalised. In the second half Port Vale, near the close, held the upper hand, and Briscoe got a second and Aitken the third. The visitors are a clever team and will be sure to make their presence felt in the competition. Everton: - Fern, goals, Page, and WB Evans, backs, Brown, Weller, and Williams, half-backs, GW Jones, Robinson, Howarth, Clennell, and J. Evans, forwards.

September 16 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
It is reported that J. Houston, the Irish international right winger, who played for Everton before the war and was on the Goodison Club's transfer list at £250, is to be transferred to Particle Thistle during the present week. Houston, who was a sergeant in the Army, won the Military medal and bar during the war. He has recently been playing football in Ireland.

September 18 1919. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton Reserves played a friendly match with Northern Nomads at Goodison Park last evening, and after an enjoyable game the former won by three goals to one. The Nomads, who have just been revived, placed a good side in the field, including Barlow, who assisted Everton in the past, and Howard Baker (of Liverpool). England's champion high jumper. The Everton directors also took the opportunity to “tryout” some of their young players. The amateurs opened smartly, and for some time the Blues' defence had a worrying time, but the latter came out with flying colours and a dash to the other end resulted in G. W. Jones beating Baker with a good shot following a pass from McQuarrie. This success was after twenty minutes play. The Nomads then played up strongly and Lawson ably dealt with shots from Barlow and Cawthra. Each end was visited in turn, the Everton forwards letting pass several good opportunities of increasing their lead. Just before the interval G. W. Jones got in a fine centre, but both McGrea and Gray were at fault and the danger was cleared. In the second half play had only been in progress a few minutes when Cawthra put the sides on level terms. The Nomads continued to serve up good football, but they soon found themselves in arrears, as McGrae finished up a fine run by shooting past Baker into the net. The same player later made the issue safe with a terrific drive from close in. Just before the finish Barlow missed an open goal. Teams : - Everton: - Lawson, goal, Berwick, and Stott, backs, Own Williams, Liveseley, and Jones, half-backs G.W. Jones, McQuarrie, McGrae, Gray, and Evans, forwards. Northern Nomads: - H. Baker, goal, A Calley, and R. Freeman, backs, H. Coward, A, Robinson, and W. Dixon, half-backs, A. Couse, Parsons, F. Cawthra, F. Heap, and G. Barlow, forwards.

September 18 1919.The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton are again making changes in the team for Saturday's match against West Bromwich Albion. Clennell has recovered from the injuries received in practice, and will make his first appearance of the season, while Kirsopp now demobilised, returns to the side.

September 22, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By a really clever, and brilliant display of football. West Bromwich Albion for the second Saturday in succession beat Everton. In the first contest Everton were considered somewhat unlucky to lose, but Saturday's game at Goodison Park very clearly demonstrated the Albion's superiority. The Midlanders won the game in the first fifteen minutes. They scored twice in ten minutes, and crowded such a wealth of sterling play into this short period that it was obvious nothing short of a miracle could save Everton from defeat. Everton played a hard game and at times their work was really good, but they carried a heavy handicap with a forward line that never worked in unison pitted against the Albion's sound and brilliant defence.

Everton started well and some excellent long swinging passes by the forwards gave them the first advanced. When the Albion forwards retaliated they adopted different methods, and their first real attack brought them success. Jephcott scored at four minutes. It was a delightful movement, participated in by Crisp, Morris and Smith, and the ball never rose an inch from the turf. After Kirsopp had caused Pearson to turn the ball round the post for a corner, Mitchell cleared so badly that Smith had a capital chance but sent the ball wide before the goalkeeper had time to recover. At ten minutes Crisp scored a second goal for the Albion, Bowser swung the ball out to Jephcott, and as the latter crossed it into the centre, Thompson appeared to handle before Crisp netted. Clennell was brought down in the penalty area, and from the free kick taken by Donnachie, Kirsopp scored. Pearson only partially clearing from Donnachie. Three more goals was registered before the interval. A.W. Smith's scoring twice and Gault heading through from a neat centre by Donnachie. Crisp scored the only goal of the second half at forty-nine minutes. Mitchell made a glorious save from Morris, but as he had to fall full length to reach the ball he was unable to regain his feet before Crisp sent the ball into the net. Everton adopted the one-back game in their effort to check the lively Albion forwards, and for the remainder of the second half Everton certainly did most of the attacking. The defence however, ever withstood all efforts to dislodge them.

Macconnachie was unable to play, and Robinson filled the left back position. The defence was not one of Everton's strong features Mitchell, however, made some excellent saves, and the defeat was not due to any laxity on his part. The backs were not capable of dealing with the swift moving Albion attack, and Robinson's weakness was very noticeable. The Everton forwards were poor in comparison with the visitors. Clennell return added strength to the line, and he worked vigorously to infuse life into the attack. Much of the excellent work of the Everton halves was wasted through the ineffectiveness of the forwards bore and aft the Albion were a splendidly balance side. The forwards were swift in action, with plenty of ideas skilfully carried through. In fact, the Albion might easily have won with a biggar margin but for over-anxiousness on the part of the forwards to net the ball Pearson took many risks, but was well covered by Smith, and Pennington, who never faltered. The half-backs held the Everton forwards as in a vice, and provided some delightful openings for their own forwards. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Robinson, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Miller, Kirsopp, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachiwe, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Pearson, J. Smith, and Pennington, backs, Richardson, Bowser, and McNeil, half-backs, Jepscott, Magee, A.W. Smith, Morris, and Crisp, forwards .

September 22 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post
It was really not a 4-0 game at Hastley where Port Vale defeated the Everton Reserves in such apparently decisive fashion. The homesters was mainly due in utilising their opportunities. The visitors, amongst whom Page, W. Evans, Weller, Jones, Robinson, and Rigsby played well, were clever in the field, but their shooting was poor. Everton met in the Vale a most capable side and one far superior than some Second Division teams.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 24 September 1919
Everton have secured a new forward in a youngster named Gray, whose father, Woodville Gray, played for Queen's Park against Blackburn Rovers in the final of the English Cup competition in 1884, had played for Scotland against England in 1886.  

September 25, 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton team for the League match against Sunderland on Saturday was selected last evening, and shows three alterations from the side beaten by West Bromwich Albion last week. Fern, Macconnachie, and Harrison take the places of Mitchell, Robinson, and Donnachie.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 29 September 1919
Roker Park, Sunderland. Everton were the first to attack, and kept up their pressure until Grenyer scored with a header following a corner.  A quarter of an hour later.  Beat, Sunderland's centre, equalised, but there was no furtherscore to the interval.  Everton's defence was great, and Sunderland's attack lacked the force which usually characterises it. Half-time:— Sunderland I goal, Everton 1 goal.  Two minutes after resuming Buchan put Sunderland in front.  Heading into the net from a corner, Kirsopp equalised almost immediately, and then Clennell, with an open goal, scored a third goal for his side. Travels netted for Sunderland, but was off-side. There was a desperate finish. Sunderland having several chances from allowances for hands. Result Everton 3 goals, Sunderland 2 goals.

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Monday 29 September 1919
The Everton football team left Sunderland yesterday morning about nine o'clock in a motor vehicles, in which they made the return journey to Liverpool.  It is understood that the same vehicles will bring back the Newcastle United players, who were engaged in a match at Liverpool on Saturday.  

September 29 1919. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The renaissance of first class football on the North-East coast was strikingly illustrated at Sunderland on Saturday when Everton gained a hard fought victory by the odd goal in five. There was a reminiscent air of old times in seeing the famous Roker Park people by 20,000 spectators and a battle novel served up for their delectation. The match under notice proved one of the fastest and well balanced seen so far this season. The pace thanks to a crisp atmosphere and a perfect turf, was almost phenomenally fast' and if the nicer touches of classic forward play were occasionally wanting, there was much in the footwork of both sides to command attention and stimulate applause. As is indicated there was too many margins in the degree of quality regarding the two front lines. Both were a little over-anxious, and both missed many golden opportunities. Best, the Sunderland centre forward, was certainly far more frequently in the picture than his vis-à-vis Gault and he shot with much more accuracy yet the Evertonians were the more polished and smarter on the intricate passage. The draw back was that they failed to bring so many promising movements to a successful conclusion. Still it would be ungracious to cavil at a well merited victory, and considering the calibre of their antagonists, who, be it remembered were playing on their own ground, the two points must be regarded as of special value.

It was not expected that Harrison would be able to get leave, and Donnachie was again drafted into the team as a partner for Clennell. The pair once more showed their suitability, for the bulk of the dangerous movements came from them. Thus it was after rather less than a quarter of an hour's that the inside man cleverly forced a corner, from which Grenyer sent the ball into the net just out of Allen's reach. For a long time after this end to endplay was the order, both sets of half-backs being the most prominent in their tactics. Sunderland gradually showed improvement, and after half an hour's going Best, taking a pass from the right put the teams on level terms with an extremely well judged shot. In the second period Everton were for the most part districtly the clever side, but they received something of a down when just after the restart, a breakaway culminated in Buchan putting the ball past Fern. The visitors made a strenuous response, but they were unlucky in their finishing touches until Kirsopp taking a close pass, breasted the leather through. From this point to the end the Evertonians showed their superiority and a gift goal set the seal on their success. Miller, going clear through, centred beautifully, Aitken running out to meet the ball, stumbled and fell, and he was still on the ground when Clennell calmly walked the ball into the net.

In briefly critising the player, first praise must be given to the Everton halves, who once more proved themselves a great triumphant. Both the forward wings showed a tremendous turn of speed and Gault was frequently well in the limelight. Thompson was the better of the backs, and Fern kept a confident goal. Sunderland are undoubtedly a side to be reckoned with. Their forwards are exceedingly fast, and the right wing pair will want a lot of watching. Cuggy at half-back was the best and Ness showed fine defensive powers. Teams: - Sunderland: - Allen, goal, Hobson, and Ness, backs, Cuggy, Sherwin, and Poole, half-backs, Mordue, Buchan, Best, Travers, and Coverdale, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Wareing, and Grenyer, half-back, Miller, Kirsopp, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forward. Referee Mr. Furness.






August + September 1919