Everton Independent Research Data


August 3 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Newcastle United fully merited their victory by 3 goals to nil over Everton, at Newcastle last night, when 45,000 spectators were present. The game was not a particularly good one, for after the first fifteen minutes Everton made a very moderate show, and were almost completely subdued by the Newcastle halves. In that line Low was dropped in favour of Peter Mooney, and this young Tynesider, flanked by McIntosh and Curry reached top class. He was equally good in attack and defence. The failure of the visiting forwards to get going was entirely due to the fine tackling of the Newcastle halves, and further behind neither McCracker nor Hudspeth gave anything away.

As an indication of the visitors poverty of attack, it need only be mentioned that Lawrence apart from saving corner kicks, had only once to save a shot and that was from Fazackerley. Shooting was not one of Everton's strong points, but it has to be admitted that they got few chances. On the other hand, Fern was hotly assisted, and once four point blank drives inside a few seconds were charged down. Whilst Newcastle won well, they should on the run of the play, have had more goals. The fact remains that their point was not a sound one for before the ball was netted. Paton distinctly handled, but the infringement escaped the notice of the referee, and Paton went on to net at close range. Up to that period each side had played pretty football, but some little feeling crept into the game and lasted up to the interval. The second goal nine minutes after the restart, was cleverly engineered by McDonald and when he centred, Harris nipped in between the backs and scored. The last goal came about a quarter of an hour off the finish, and was due to Seymour's run and centre, Paton scoring close in.

Everton were never really dangerous after the opening fifteen minutes, yet their forwards worked hard especially Crossley and Davies. They lacked support from their halves for only Brewster gave any passes that were collectable. Both Peacock and Brown had more on hand, than they could manage. Both backs were also kept a full stretch and Fern's goal must be described as having had a charmed life. Superior footwork and under stading gave Newcastle their grip of the game but they took some little time to settle down. A somewhat greasy pitch and ball after a shower of rain helped to make things somewhat difficult, but after all this said, Everton's display must be regarded as disappointing. Their early dash, especially of Chedgzoy and Harrison, soon evaporated, and for the greater part of the game there was little or no semblance of combination. The wingers were eclipsed, and the insiders lacked support from their halves. Teams: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Hudspeth, backs, McIntosh, Mooney, and Curry, half-backs, Aitkens, Paton, Harris, McDonald, and Seymour, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), Brown, Brewster, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 03 September 1921
Ernest Gault, who scored for Stockport last week, is a native of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and first came to the front with Everton in war-time football.  In two seasons he scored over 70 goals, but as soon as League football restarted he appeared to lose his old power in front of goal.  He was tried by Cardiff, but the Welsh club passed him on to Stockport.  

September 5, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton's visit to Old Trafford to fulfil their return engagement with Manchester United was disappointing in more senses than one. After a contest in which there was plenty of vigorous, if rather rudimentary, football, the visitors found themselves in arrear by the odd goal and so made the Mancunians a present of two valuable points. This was the more annoying inasmuch as the Evertonians had practically all the play in the first half, and they should certainly have led by a couple of goals at the interval. Weak and wholly unsatisfactory work on the part of the inside forwards precluded this, and the teams crossed over with a goal each to their credit. It was hoped that the second half would witness an improvement, but it was just the reverse that happened. The wearers of the blue jersey fell away to nothing, and Manchester United taking advantage of this, popped in another telling shot, and kept Everton out until the call of time.

The visitors opened in promising fashion, and there was some good, if rather scrappy work on the part of Davies and his wings. The half backs too, kept the home forwards well in hand, and Everton pressed continually. They tailed off however, at the critical moment, and the score was eventually opened by United. Harrison, the home outside right, got the off the mark at top speed and finished with a long-range shot that hit the inside of the far post and glanced into the net with Fern a looker on. Everton took up the challenge immediately, and while a couple of minutes Harrison, their outside left, equalised with a free kick with a well-judged and timely shot. In the second period as we have said, play ran all in favour of the Old Trafford brigade, and it was not long before they established a lead through Spence, who turned a clever movement on the part of Robinson to good account. From this point the home forwards dominated the game until a few minutes from the finish when Fleetwood ploughed his way right through the field, and then parted the ball only to see Davies put it over the bar.

The work of the Everton forwards, with the exception of the wingers, left something to be desired, though there were occasional flashes of brilliance. Harrison was always speedy and clever, and the same observation applies to Chedgzoy. Fleetwood was the pick of the half-backs but, the outstanding figure on the side was Livingstone, who in this, his initial First League game, established himself as a full back of high class rank. His clean kicking and tackling were generally admired.

McDonald worked well, and Fern may be forgiven the shots that beat him. United are by no means a great side, but they posses the inestimable quality of perservance. Silcock, Robinson and Spence were the stars of the home side. Teams: - Manchester United: - Fern, goal, Livingstone, and McDonald (captain), backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Davies, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Manchester United: - Mew, goal, Silcock, and Brett, backs, Scott, Grimswood, and Harris, half-backs, Robinson, Partridge, Goodwin, Spence, and Harrison, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Asson.

September 5 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. The home team made a very convincing opening and appeared likely to gain a substantial lead at half-time, but many opportunities were thrown away through erratic shooting. The extreme wingmen, Jones, and Alford, played well, and sent in good centres without result. Salt was rarely troubled owing chiefly to good defensive play by Fare and Yarwood. At the interval neither side had scored. In the second half three goals were scored in five minutes, Blair scored first for Everton, than Smart equalised, and Blair again put Everton ahead. Five minutes from time Smart made the scores equal. In the last minute Woodward, who played well through out, saved his side from defeat by charging down a good shot by Reid. Teams : - Everton Reserves: - Salt, goal, Fare, and Yarwood, backs, Weller, Leddy, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones Reid, JE Blair Wall, and Alford, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers Reserves: - Croft, goal, Watson, and Woodward, backs, Rouse, Caddick, and Carter, half-backs, Price, Brooks, Smart, Mayson, and Gill, forwards.

September 5, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
This Liverpool County Combination match was played at Green-Lane, and ended in a victory for the home side by 4 goals to 1. The visitors brought a strong team with them and were somewhat unfortunate to be beaten so decisively as they had most of the play, but failed repeatedly in front of goal. Hope in goal, Caddick and Morris were in great form for the home team, for whom goals were scored by Russell, Spencer, Moffatt, and Barton. McQuarrie scored for the visitors. Result Everton A 4; New Brighton 1.

September 8, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There was precision and points about Newcastle's play at Goodison Park last evening. They did things with a purpose and the outcome was victory by three goals to two apd the only wonder was that the margin was not much bigger. It was really too hot to watch football and to play was a terrible task. Some 40,000 people looked on and were not surprised that Newcastle won. The visitors were the better side throughout and though it is a pity that their first goal was a palatable one, the fact remains that had Everton drawn it would have been against the run of the play, for all through Newcastle had a balance and a method that was not on view in the Everton ranks, although the latter had been rearranged in view of the defeat of Saturday last, Blair being brought into centre-forward, Davies moving to the left, and Weller taking the place of Brown, while for Fazackerley Reid the Irishman was brought in. Reid really did best of these men for he shot hard at times and kept Chedgzoy going nicely. There was a lack of finish about the home forwards, whose line was a jagged one. Blair was persevering to the last yard and his goal was a gem, but the line never worked in a pattern-weaving manner, as did Newcastle 's. The left wing did not pair off nicely. Davies being in mercurial mood and Harrison having a poor day in consequence, Davies should have scored from easy range late on and right on time a corner kick was near succeeding. However the damage had then been done and Everton were indeed a bit lucky to have a chance of making a draw, for it was from the first plain to see which was the superior side. First there came a goal following a Harris movement. The question was asked "Did Harris handle when he headed the ball before back-heeling it to McDonald to score", Fern said he did, and went to the half-way line to argue the point. There was a consultation, and the verdict went against Everton. Then there was a lull in the scoring, but four minutes from half-time three goals were registered. First there was a goal by Harris who took a perfect header from Mooney to McIntosh and converted it, after which Harris made a wobbling run on the left side and hugged the ball while Livingstone kept him company without challenging him. The pass went to McDonald who scored pretty easily. Right on half-time the Newcastle defence became spread-eagled and Davies scored a nice point from a Chedgzoy centre. After half time Blair came more into the picture, and when Chedgzoy made a spirited centre the amateur player headed the ball delightfully and brought the total to 3-2. Everton had a chance though they did not deserved it, and they fought tenaciously, if not brilliantly. However, the steady Newcastle defence prevailed, and thus Everton gave up the fourth point to the men from the Tyne. It was good football to watch because Newcastle were so clever. They have found as admirable pivot in Mooney, who is powerful, and uses his head very well. McIntosh too, is a half-back who links up defence with attack, and all though Newcastle played the passing game rather than footing the ball up the middle. Even the backs elected to pass to half-back, and with the men placing themselves in good positions, the wonder was that goals did not come more frequently. The reason was that Fern, McDonald, and Livingstone played so well that the score was kept down. Everton were very weak at half-back and in attack. Newcastle were strong in every department even if Paton, in his slow calculating manner, did not shine brightly. Weller was a strong tackler and Fleetwood also, but use was not made of the ball when it was gained. Peacock could not master the intricacies of Aitken and company. In attack Everton gave a disjoined display that did not give encouragement for the future. Chedgzoy did well in part only Reid was perhaps best, Blair wanted a good deal of watching, and Davies was variable. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Livingstone, and McDonald (captain), backs, Weller, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Reid, JE Blair, Davies, and Harrison, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Hudspeth, backs, McIntosh, Mooney, and Curry, half-backs, Aitken, Paton, Harris, McDonald, and Seymour, forwards. Referee Mr. W. Mason.

September 9, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Consequent upon their defeat on Wednesday evening, Everton has made several surprise changes for their match with Birmingham at Goodison Park to-morrow. Grenyer, Spencer, and Fazackerley return to the team in place of Davies, Weller, and Blair (the latter of whom is not available), while Reid crosses over to partner Harrison. The teams is: - Fern, Livingstone, McDonald, Peacock, Fleetwood, Grenyer, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid and Harrison. Birmingham will field the following side: - Tremelling, Womack, Hunter, Getgood, McClue, Barton, Burkinshaw, Crosbie, Whitehouse, Elkes, and Linley. Everton Reserve's team at Birmingham will be: - Salt, Weller, Yarwood, Brown Leddy, Garrett, Jones, Wall, Moffatt, Davies, and Alford.

September 12, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There were few good points in the game at Goodison Park, where Everton gained a narrow win over Birmingham by the odd goal in three. The standard of play was disappointing, and although Everton were the better side their uneven work did not inspire confidence. They lacked balance, and with an intermediate line that was rarely in unison with the forwards play deteriorated considerably. The best part of the Birmingham side was the defence. The forwards had a very elementary idea of the art of finesse, and frequently ruined good positions by their erratic methods. Both sides adopted off-side tactics with the result that the sequence of the game was often checked and play confined to a narrow space. Stoppage for injuries too were frequent, and Getgood had the misfortune to dislocate his left arm after play had been going ten minutes. He returned and took up the outside right position but he did little afterwards. The defence of both sides was better than the attack, Fern was confident and reliable, and McDonald timed his clearances judiciously. Everton's left flank was quite satisfactory. The half-backs devoted most of their times to neutralising the efforts of the Birmingham forwards, and as a constructive line left much to be desired. Harrison and Reid made a capital wing, and the accurate centres of Harrison created much work for Tremelling. Reid was persevering and forceful. Fazackerely justified his selection as leader of the line, and his manner of scoring Everton's first goal at eleven minutes was a fine example of pivotal attack. Spencer did useful services, but Chedgzoy was inconsistent. Although Tremelling had plenty to do, his work was generally straight forward. Womack excelled in defence, and he found McClure a useful helper. Birmingham best forwards were Linley and Elkes.

Everton started as though they intended placing themselves in a winning position in the first few minutes. Reid put in a glorious run –one of the best of the day –and finished with a shot that caused Tremelling some difficulty to get rid of. The goalkeeper just managed to push the ball away and divert it past Spencer, who narrowly missed converting. Getwood retired with what proved to be a dislocated arm, and during his absence Birmingham played with four forwards, and Fazackerley scored a splendid goal. Fazackerley got the ball from Spencer and, running between the backs he drew out Tremelling. With a fast drive the ball was in the net before Tremelling had time to think of how to deal with the shot. Getgood returned in time to see the Birmingham goal hotly assailed by shots from Peacock and Harrison, and Elkes ruined a fine position when he decided to shoot instead of giving the ball to a colleague who was better placed. Burkinshaw, who had changed places with Getgood, was spoken to by the referee for too vigorous play, and Fazackerley with a first-time shot sent the ball a foot on the wrong side of the upright. Linley was accurate with his placing, and Fern had to make a quick movement as the ball flashed into the Everton goal. When Elkes tried a shot Fern dropped the ball, and Birmingham almost equalised. Birmingham must have drawn level much earlier than they did if the forwards had shown greater accuracy in their shooting, for at this stage the preliminary work of the visiting forwards was considerably better than in the early stages. Fern was almost deceived by a ball from McClure and then Crosbie scored for Birmingham sixty-eight minutes. A long pass by Getgood was smartly taken up by Linley, who returned the ball across the Everton goal, Crosbie heading a fine goal. Whitehouse shot hard into Fern's hands, and at seventy-nine minutes Reid scored by driving the ball between the crowd of players, following a half save by Tremelling. Reid failed with a fine opening after beating Womack and drawing out the Birmingham custodian, and Linley sent a terrific shot just over the bar. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Livingston, and McDonald (captain), backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Birmingham: - Tremelling, goal, Womack, and Hunter, backs, Getgood, McClure, and Barton, half-backs, Burkinshaw, Crosbie, Whitehouse, Elkes, and Linley, forwards.

September 12, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton reserves distinguished themselves by beating Birmingham Reserves for the first time. Everton were somewhat lucky in that the deciding goal was scored by White, the home back, who headed through his own goal. Davies scored the other for the visitors. It was a keen, clean, high-class contest. The forwards on both sides were enterprising and lively, and the backs solid and safe, and the game all over testified to the good football of the Central League . Everton Reserves: - Salt, goal, Weller, and Yarwood, backs, Brown, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Jones, Wall, Moffatt, Davies, and Alford, forwards.

September 15, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton directors have made the following allocations from the receipts of the practice matches. Stanley hospital £299, 10.0, hospital Saturday funds £299, 19.7, institute Liverpool blade £35.00, national lifeboat institute £35.00 Liverpool home for the troubles $3413,3, Liverpool child welfare funds £35.00 St john ambulance £10,00 Lancashire FA Benerouent fund £25.00, Liverpool Ra Benerovent fund £25.00 total £799.12.4

Also the Everton team to visit Birmingham will be: - Fern, Livingstone, McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Grenyer, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Against Birmingham Reserves at Goodison Park, Brown is giving is giving his injuries leg a test and the teams will be: - B. Howard Baker, Downs, Yarwood, Brown, Leddy, Garrett, Russell, Wall, Moffatt, Clennell, and Alford.

September 19, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton effected a highly creditable draw with Birmingham at St. Andrews on Saturday and having extracted three points from their Midland opponents they have every reason to feel satisfied. The game was sparkling and exhilarating to a degree. The afternoon was sunny without being too hot, and the pace set was agreeably fast. The forward work of the visitors was occasionally very pretty to watch, but there was not quite that combination which alone makes for success. Nevertheless there was some magnificent individual work on the part of both the outside wing men, and it was certainly not their fault that the full points were not gained. The half-back play was thoroughly sound and workmanlike, while for the defence there can be nothing but praise. Some of the Birmingham attacks, well led by Whitehouse and backed up by McClure, would easily have beaten a less resolute trio than that which faced them.

The opening stages was rather in favour of the home side, but the Evertonians were not long in getting to work, and success came to them after rather less than fifteen minutes play. Chedgzoy was the hero of the movement, which led to the goal. Getting away with the swiftness of a hare he out stripped both Barton and Jones and than passing square to Spencer, the latter had nothing to do but tap the leather into the net. This he did and the game at once assumed an accelerated pace. Birmingham were obviously anxious to get on terms and eventually they achieved their desire. After Linley and Elkes had tried ineffective shots. Neil went away and gave the ball to Crosbie. The latter back heeled it to Whitehouse, and Fern coming out to meet the danger was beaten by the Lone centre forward. It was rather a curious, but quite a good go. From this point to the interval there was some strenuous work on both sides, but no further score.

In the second period the home vanguard were particularly busy, and Fern kept a wonderfully fine goal against the spirited Whitehouse and his wings. The visitors, however, were by no means idle, and a little more steadiness in front of goal might easily have given them the lead. As it was Reid once shot over, and Fazackerley and Spencer both missed good chances. Just before the finish Chedgzoy and Barton appeared to have an altercation, but the referee-smoothed matters over, and at the call of time honours were divided.

Allusion has been made to the smart individual efforts of the visitors. Without being unduly conspicuous Fazackerley, put in several pretty touches, and the work of Reid and Spencer, if lacking in something was by no means without merit. But the star artistes were undoubtedly, Harrison and Chedgzoy. The former frequently had both Booth and Womack "tried up," and he centred with rare accuracy. Chedgzoy, too shone with his speed and dexterity. All the backs performed ably, Brewster hanging on to Whitehouse with the tenacity of a barnacle. The full backs were both at the top of the form, and Fern kept a great goal. Birmingham are a well-balanced and nippy side, and they will hold their own in the competition, if we are not very much mistaken. Teams : - Birmingham: - Tremelling, goal, Womack, and Jones, backs, Booth, McClure, and Barton, half-backs, Neil, Crosbie, Whitehouse, Elkes, and Linley, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Livingstone, and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid, and Harrison, forwards.

September 19, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Goodison Park. A large crowd saw Everton Reserves meet with their first reverse this season by 3 goals to 1. The home team had Downs at right back. During the first half, when playing against a strong wing, his defence was very sound, but in the second half he was not so prominent, and was responsible for two of the goals against his side. Against the wind Everton made many openings initiated chiefly through Clennell and Alford, but finishing was bad. There was no scoring up to half-time. With the wind in Everton's favour on changing ends most of the play was in the visitors half, but the home shooting was most erratic. Bradford opened the score for Birmingham from a breakaway. Later through weak play by Downs, the same player scored the second, and finished by completing the "hat-trick." Ten minutes from time Clennell reduced the margin with a penalty goal. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - B. Howard Baker, goal, Downs, and Yarwood, backs, Brown, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Russell, Wall, Moffatt, Clennell, and Alford, forwards. Birmingham Reserves: - Hodge, goal, Dixon, and Hunter, backs Daws, Binks, and Liddell, half-backs, Davies, Deacon, Bradford, Reddington, and Cameron, forwards. Referee J. Caswell.

Hull Daily Mail - Wednesday 21 September 1921
Parry, the outside right of the Bootle Albion F.C., has signed an amateur form for Everton.  he stands 5ft 9in, and weighs about 11st.  

September 22, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton team to meet the Arsenal at Goodison Park, on Saturday will include Downs, who has recovered from his injury. He takes the place of Livingstone. The team will be: - Fern, Downs, McDonald, Fleetwood, Brewster, Grenyer, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid, and Harrison. The Everton Reserve team to play Blackpool Reserves at, Blackpool will be: - Howard Baker, Livingstone, Yarwood, Peacock, Leddy, Garrett, Hones, JE Blair, Moffatt, Davies, and Alford.

September 26, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A share of the points was as much as Everton deserved by their game with Arsenal at Goodison Park. Arsenal were in many respects the better side. They displayed more balance, more method, and more skilful footwork, and would surely have won with ease had the forwards been more deadly in front of goal. Everton fell away considerably after a good start and never regained their grip of the game, while Arsenal improved at the game progressed. Up to a point the work of the Arsenal forwards was well nigh perfect. They moved well, passed accurately and understood each other's intentions to a nicety, yet they only once completely beat the Everton defence. It was not the cleverness of the Everton defenders that saved them from defeat, for when hard pressed they appeared flustered and were wanting in resource. Several times they got out of tight corners very luckily. Downs returned to the side, but it could not be said that he lent strength to the defence. He volleyed will in the early stages and got to the ball at all sorts of angles. Near the end he saved a certain goal when he kicked the ball over the bar from the goal-line, but he frequently over-kicked his forwards. McDonald had a poor day for Rutherford displayed some of his best form. Brewster was the most successful of the half-backs. The forwards received small assistance from the wing halves, and their play was inconsistent. Fazackerley did some good things, and he and Reid by reason of their first time shooting were the most dangerous of the line. Williamson was very safe, although he appeared to misjudge the shot that scored. Cownley and Hutchins played a good practical game, and Butler used his physical advantage to excellent effect. He covered a deal of ground with a minimum of effort. The work of the forwards frequently reached a high level of excellence, but they failed to reap the reward of their cleverness through weak finishing.

In the early stages Reid was very prominent, and after Fazackerley had provided a splendid opening Reid sent the ball along the crossbar from a difficult angle. Then Baker headed over from a corner, and White finished a clever run by shooting wide. At seventeen minutes Fazackerley scored a splendid goal. He got between the backs, and with a low well-judged drive sent the ball into the net. Williamson fell for the shot, but the ball passed beneath him and he appeared to under-estimate the pace of the ball. this was followed by a concerted attack, in which the whole of the Arsenal forwards participated. It was the best piece of combined play seen thus far and although the ball never actually reached Fern, the Everton goal was in great danger. Fazxackerley was keen on shooting first time, and Spencer headed into Williamson's hands. White was injured a second time, but he pluckily returned, and although the Arsenal forwards hammered the Everton defence hard they turned one down at the interval. Ruthered was loudly applauded for a clever run, and at this stage he put in his most effective work. It was Rutherford's brilliant footwork that gave Baker an opportunity of testing Fern to the full, and the Everton custodian made a wonderful save as he just managed to push the ball out of the goal by falling full length. At sixty-seven minutes Bradshaw equalised. It was not a well-got goal, but on the play Arsenal deserved to draw level. Fern fell to the ground after leaving his goal to challenge Baker, and during the struggle that resulted the ball came out to Bradshaw, who had no difficulty in sending it into the empty goal. Williamson was yards out of his goal when he made a clever save from Reid and Blyth hit the corner of the woodwork with a hard drive. Spencer threw away a glorious chance of putting Everton ahead when he neglected to shoot first time with a delightful opening provided by Fazackerley and the Everton goal had a narrow escape when Downs standing on the goal line, kicked the ball over the bar. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Fleetwood, Brewster, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Fazackerley, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Arsenal: - Williamson, goal, Cownley, and Hutchins, backs, Whittaker, Butler, and Hutchins, half-backs, Rurtherford, White, Baker, Bradshaw, and Blyth, forwards.

September 26, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Blackpool Reserves gave their best display this season against Everton Reserves on Saturday, and their victory of two goals to nil was thoroughly deserved. It was a clean and keenly fought game from start to finish, and greatly enjoyed by 4,000 spectators. Everton held the upper hand during the first quarter of an hour and the home defence was severely tested, but Blackpool afterwards improved and were always more dangerous. The halves were the mainstay of the team, Leaver especially excelling at centre-half. Howard-Baker gave a fine display in the Everton goal, otherwise Blackpool's triumph would have been still more pronounced. One save in particular from Sibbald, just under the bar was superb. Clennell twice missed scoring against his former club mates during the first half, when well placed, but afterwards gave a glimpse of his old form. Richardson effecting a brilliant save, Blackpool opened the second half dramatically Alvey scoring in the first minute, Moffatt missed a grand chance of equalising, and Lane increased the home lead just on time. Everton: - Howard Baker, goal, Livingstone, and Yarwood, backs, Peacock, Leddy, and Garrett, half-backs, Jones, JE Blair, Moffatt, Clennell, and Alford forwards.

September 27, 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Our Belfast correspondent wires that Everton have just signed on Robert Irvine, an Irish player, who is expected at Goodison Park this weekend. He is an in-side right and has junior international honours. The promise of this 21-year-old lad was such that there was a spirited race between Sunderland, Patrick Thistle and Dundee for his signature, but the Everton secretary who was over in Ireland was successful against all comers. Irvine stands 5ft 9ins and weights 11 stones

Lancashire Evening Post - Wednesday 28 September 1921
Wigan Borough, last evening, secured the signature of Bert Freeman, the former Arsenal, Everton, and Burnley internationai centre-forward, who holds the League scoring record of 38 goals 37 matches, which he created in season 1908-9 when with Everton. This goal total was equalled last seaeon by Joe Smith, Bolton Wanderers, however, played in 41 matches before accomplishing the feat. Freeman was born at Birmingham in 1885, and commenced hie career as professional with Aston Villa Reserve in season 1905-6. and within a few months was transferred to Woolwich Arsenal. He stayed with the Plumstead club until 1908, and shortly before the finish of the season joined Everton, making his first appearance with the side against Liverpool. In the following season he established the record referred to.  Towards the end of 1910-11 Freeman, together with Harry Mountford. was transferred to Burnley, the fee for the pair being £8OO, and from 1911 onwards Freeman was top scorer for Burnley, and in seasons 1911-12 and 1912-13 was the leading marksman in either division of the League.  On October 10th, 1914, Freeman ‘scored his hundredth goal for the Turf Moor club—a total that was increased to 172 before he left the side. At Leicester, in 1914, a goal scored by him assured Burnley of promotion, and the same year obtained the only goal which won the English Cup for Burnley for the first time in their history. He was capped five times, twice while at Everton in 1909, and three times with Burnley in 1912, and he figured on four occasions in Inter-League football. Last season Freeman made only four appearances in Burnley's team, in the first match at outside right, a position which had been introduced the previous season, and subsequently at inside right and centre-forward, the latter being his final appearance in the side which Burnley sustained a sensationaJ defeat at Hull. Though he has naturally lost pace, this forward stylist should be just the man Wigan require to mould their attack, and should do his new club lot of good.

September 29 1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton team will be a foregone conclusion that Jones will come in at outside right in place of Chedgzoy. Fazackerley moves to inside right and Davies will re-appear in the team at centre.





September 1921