Everton Independent Research Data


Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 02 September 1922
That big, finely built Irishman, Harry Leddy, is likely to play a big part in the fortune of Chesterfield this season.  A native of Dublin, he first attracted the attention of English agents when he was playing with Glenavon season 1920-21. though prior that he had played a few games with Shelbourne and Clyde. Everton signed him after he had put in a season with Tranmere Rovers, but he became tired of waiting for his chance at Goodison. and secured his transfer Chesterfield last March.

September 4, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
It was a great pity that Everton's first home match should have been marred by an accident to Downs, who with the last kick of the match strained his right foot to such an extent, that he was carried off the field. I understand that the trouble is a recurrence of a strain sustained in the practice matches, aggravated the previous week at Newcastle, and caused a complete collapse on Saturday. It is unlikely that Downs will be fit to play to-day, and Raitt, the new back from Scotland, is ready to fill the right-back berth this evening against Tottenham Hotspurs at White Hart Lane.

Apart from the injury to the ex-Barnsley back, the opening of the Goodison programme was distinctly encouraging, and the victory gained will undoubtedly spur the team back to further effort. True, the margin at the finish was the narrowest –the odd goal in five –and the Blues had to flight hard to maintain it; but we saw sufficient to indicate that Everton are on the up-grade. A spirit and dash permeated the team which was quite refreshing and the play of the side in the first twenty minutes was full of enthusiastic skill, and I fully realised, at the finish that Everton owed their success to their fine start. Two goals in ten minutes (Irvine and Brewster) proved a rare tonic, and when a third was put on by Williams after McDonald had obtained a point for the visitors, it seemed all over bar shouting.

But the home spectators were never sure of victory in the second half until the whistle sounded. The Newcastle men, I thought stayed better, and they played superior football in the later stages. Their forceful attacks were always dangerous, and when Harris got the second goal the issue lay in the balance. The Tynesiders were fast, elusive and fired in shots, which might easily have found the net against a less experienced keeper than Fern. The backs, Russell and Hampton, improved as the game wore on, with the result that the Everton attack was not allowed so much rope as in the earlier stages, but in the end the spoils were retained, however. It was a rare tussle however. Altogether the display was distinctly entertaining, every minute providing some attractive titbit, and the big crowd thoroughly enjoyed the match. Everton as a team showed great improvement, though it was plain that Forbes and Irvine were not quite at home as they changed places in the second half. Forbes is on the light side, and was handicapped against a half-back of the calibre of Wilfred Low. Irvine opened splendidly at inside right, and it would seem that is his best position.

The real live wire off the attack however, was Williams, who was as enthusiastic as he was clever, and his shooting from all sorts of difficult angles proved one of the features of the game. Chedgzoy showed occasional glimpses of his true form, and he will do better next time out. Harrison, too, was in good trim, and altogether the left wing is likely to develop into a very strong one. Peacock was the pick of the halves, though he was inclined at times to dribble too much. Brewster improved and Hart also played with skill and resource. Newcastle undoubtedly missed McCracken and Hudspeth, and Mitchell was only a moderate substitute for Seymour. Still, the halves and backs did not play badly, McIntosh being the outstanding figure and McDonald was the best forward on the field. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Brewster (captain), and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Newcastle United: - Mutch, goal, Hampson, and Russell, backs, McIntosh, W. Low, and Curry, half-backs, J. Low, Smailes, Harris, McDonald, and Mitchell, forwards.

September 4, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The Goodison Park second string had a rather tough time at Leeds for after shaping well in the opening stages they went all to pieces. Leeds were two goals to the good in the first twenty minutes, and led 4-0 at the interval. The visitors contested the second portion of the game more stubbornly and registered a couple of goals (Miller and Parry), but with three more added by their opponents the Blues' defeat was particularly emphasised.

September 5, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton were beaten by the Spurs by two goals to nil. It look a fairly handsome victory. The figure suggests an easy victory for the London team, but the score was scarcely a reflection of the actual play. The Spurs scored early on –the goal arose through the centre half-converging upon the goalkeeper –and that early goal threw the Everton players off their balance. With the Spurs raiding again and again by a close and uncommon style of passing, they might have scored a number of goals. The turn in the tide came when Forbes solo efforts recreated the Everton team's confidence. Forbes showed that the London backs were not invulnerable, and by degrees Everton found themselves and gave the Spurs an anxious time. It is true Blake in goal accomplished skilful work, yet Everton left the field at half-time knowing that every one of the leading side had been rudely awakened from the slothful air born of over-confidences.

In the second half the game proceeded without the Spurs getting any further points, and in the bad light that obtained during the later stages of the goal Bliss fired a shot from long distance, and it found its mark. Now, Everton were not a competent all-round side, yet they had their bright spots, but it must be conceded that the better side gained the day. However, Everton in their process of rebuilding a team must have gained many points from the defeat and from the hard fortune that attended the work of the forwards. There was no fault in the Everton defence. Fern did some good things, pitching himself at fast shots and showing a clean and sure catch. Raitt, the Dundee back, deputising for Downs (injured), was an admirable foil to Dimmock when once he had sized up the methods of the tricky left wing. It was Raitt's debut in English League football, and he was naturally taken aback early on by the clever work of masters like Dimmock and Bliss. Raitt's real fault was kept till near the end, when he dared to dribble and showed such a lack of pace that he was beaten at his own game. That was bad football, and it was characteristic of other of the Scottish members –Brewster and Hart –and at times by the Wigan boy, Peacock. Raiit made a capital impression, and one time kicked the ball from goalline. Fern being away from his charge at this moment. Alongside Raiit was the doughty McDonald, than whom there was no better back. His play had to be considered in more than one comparative sense. First he had a half-back who could not cope with his wing, then he had, almost incessantly, to show his wisdom, paces, and tackling skill against one of the best wings in the land –Seed and Walden. The former is big and strong, and looks after the little player on his right. Walden responds with light steps that carry him hither and thither and allow him to wheel about while opponents lose their grip of the earth. Walden was entrancing in his dribbles as in his runs, and he was most effective when he centred, so that the ball went midway between the goalkeeper and the backs. Hart was of little avail against the Spurs' right wing, and all the heavy and fast work fell to the lot of McDonald. Royally he responded, so Everton's trinity of defenders bore off the honours.

Not only was Hart outmanceurved, but Brewster failed to touch his best form save in heading. Perhaps the cares of captaincy bother him. Whatever it was he stated ill at ease, and never really became a constructive half-back. With two of the three half-backs unable to cope with the home attack, it was plain that the Everton front line could only make breakaway efforts. Yet it was a potent fact that when Everton forwards went off they showed good combination, and only the luck of the game and the admirable work of Blake prevented them scoring goals. The score was a kind considerate verdict for the Tottenham eleven, who are in all probability one of the prettiest sides in the country. They have dainty side steps; they have strong shooters in Seed and Bliss –the latter, however, could not find his “mark” till late on –and thew have a very tall set of men in the rear. The secret of their success is “push ability” allied to intricate footwork. That reminds one of the “randies” of the days gone by. Nowadays football has become stereotyped, and one welcomes the science of the Spurs.

Comparisons in the forward line were odious. However, there was a good word for the Everton centre, Forbes, and a poor word for his rival, Lindsay, while Harrison was a trifle more in the picture than Dimmock, who was strangely quiet, even if one made allowance for the speedy way Peacock handled his man. Altogether it was a capital football –hard, fast, and clean withal, and it ended with an uncommon scene –the knock-out of Referee Griffiths, who caught a fast ball in the pit of the stomach, and needed attention from both trainers. He recovered in time to sound the “Cease fire.” His work was pretty easy throughout the game and it was lack of co-ordination with the linesmen that prevented him seeing two “canny” cases of handling Williams. Chedgzoy by the way, shaped just like his old and best self, and Forbes was the deadliest of the Everton attackers because he was always well placed, and had the backs guessing. His trouble was that he had no luck with his placed shots. Once when he broke away he was allowed to go on though offside; and when he collided with the goalkeeper his shot cannoned against a defender, and the ball curled inwards. Fortunately for the Spurs their left back kicked clear. The story of the opening goal was simple and tragic. In four minutes Brewster miskicked badly, and the ball went for a corner kick. The kick looked harmless till the ball came out towards the left side of the goal, Brewster in trying to clear turned the ball out of the way of Fern. Four minutes from the end Bliss tried a long distance shot, and it got there. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: - Blake, goal, Clay, and Macdonald, backs, Smith, Walters, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Walden, Seed, Lindsay, Bliss, and Dimmock, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Brewster (captain), and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. By “Bee.”

September 5, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves accomplished a smart performances in drawing with Oldham Athletic Reserves in a Central League match at Goodison Park, last night, for after obtaining the first goal they allowed the Oldham forwards to score three times, and it was only in the closing stages that they were able to draw level again. The equalising goal came from a penalty, which was hotly disputed by the Oldham players. The Blues were weakened by first team calls, and the half-back line was composed entirely of third team men. Fleetwood had been picked to play centre-half, but at the last moment he took the right full back position. Robinson filling the vacancy. The consequence was that the veteran was not in his happiest vein, and he was inclined to waver under pressure. Livingstone, however, although starting shakily, improved, and in the second half was the best defender on the field. Salt gave one of his best displays and saved a number of good shots. Cooper, the ex-Barnsley player, also rendered Oldham good service in the other goal. The Everton half-backs were not as reliable as they might have been, and at times were out of touch with the forwards. Robinson stood out from his colleagues because of his well-judged passing, the wingers in particular receiving ample opportunities from him. The Oldham backs were both local players Wynnn is the Nelson player who joined Oldham last season, and Yarwood played for Everton all last season. Both acquitted themselves creditably, and Jones and Alford were not given many opportunities of providing scoring chances. Miller was the best of the inside forwards, but failed to score. Chadwick got Everton's first point with a well-placed shot from a centre by Jones, and after each of the Oldham inside forwards had beaten Salt, Jackson scored. Then came the penalty, which Chadwick had no difficulty in converting, and although both teams tried hard for the winning goal they had to be content with a point each.

September 11, 1922. The Evening Express
Sewell Sustains Nasty Injury
Points are very valuable these days, so I suppose we must not grumble. Still few of those who visited Goodison Park on Saturday would be carried away with the quality of the play, and I am sure (writes Liver) that both clubs will recognize that the standard of football display in this game, is not good enough to carry either flag to a high place. It was a spasmodic kind of game, in which tempers seemed to be easily ruffled, and the referee was kept quite busy in pointing out to players the errors of their ways. Perhaps these little upsets were responsible for the uneven display. However a great improvement is looked for. Everton were not nearly so virile as on the occasion of the Newcastle game, the forwards failing to carry through their movements with the same decision and accuracy while the halves were no so inspiring. Peacock and Hart were the outstanding figures and I fancy that Peacock is one of the best men in his position just now, but Brewster did not reach the required standard. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the forwards, each and every one being as keen as mustard but the line did not combine too well. “It must be admitted, however that Reilly was a destructive agent in this respect and his rugged play certainly did much to prevent the lightly built Forbes opening out the game. Chedgzoy and Irvine will get on better as they become accustomed to each other's methods. I certainly like the Irishman at inside-right. He is thrustful and enterprising. Chedgzoy gave us a glimpse of his true form, on occasion but Williams was not nearly so sprightly as usual, though the injury he received must have taken a lot out of him. Harrison put across some useful centres and I believe that with a more experience the line will do well.

Sewell's Pluck
Fern did well in goal and McDonald came out of the game with his usual skill, Raitt made a very good impression. A bit uncertain to begin with he settled down to play a useful game, timing his interventions to a nicely and kicking with judgment. He should curb the desire to bring down an opponent as he did on Saturday, however. Sewell deserves every praise for his pluck and determination. The visiting keeper must have been in great pain, and the climax came when he tried to get at the centre from which Forbes scored. Sewell I learn, was examined by a doctor after the game, who through that the bone was cracked. Rollo and Wylie were a dour pair of backs, and in Holland and Howarth the Rovers seem to have two useful forwards, but the line as a whole did not shine.

September 11, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Although Everton beat Blackburn Rovers by two clear goals, at Goodison Park, neither side played well, and the game was poor and disappointing. The standard of play never reached a high level, chiefly because the forwards had no fixed plan, and the half-backs were too weak to help them. The defenders carried off the honours in a game that was for the most part tame and uninteresting. Sewell, the Rovers goalkeeper, sustained a sprained wrist, and was finally carried off at the end of the game in a state of collapse. In spite of this great disadvantage, Sewell was the most outstanding figure on the Rovers side. He was injured in collision during the first half, but pluckily struck to his post, and made several excellent saves. The Everton forwards had little of the dash and energy of the previous week, and their shooting was extremely poor. Sewell had very few difficult shots to stop in the first half. Play improved after the interval, and was more vigorously contested; but even then it lacked sparkle and buoyancy. The referee had cause to speak to several of the players for willful tripping and a “scene” between Bond and McDonald also called for the referee's attention.

Everton's defence was very sound. Fern was not overworked, but he showed fine judgement in getting rid of two brilliant shots by Holland. Raiit, who deputised for Downs, made a capital partner for McDonald. Both backs were alert and confident. The half-backs had an easy task in checking the Rovers forwards, but were deficient in constructive ideas. Peacock frequently adopted a progressive policy, although he was rarely in touch with the forwards in front of him, and his individual dashes brought little tangible results. There was little cohesion among the forwards. Forbes kept his place well, and flashed out some nice length passes without receiving much assistance from his co-forwards. Harrison was often too strong with his centres, and Chedgzoy's pace was not utised to the best advantage because his colleagues were rarely in position to accept his centres. It was a very ragged line that lacked fire or ability to force home many fine openings. The Rovers were best represented by their defence, Rollo and Wylie being little inferior to the Everton backs, while Sewell did splendid services. Reilly worked hard, but failed to inspire his forwards, and Bond was easily the best of a poor line.

Play opened in easy fashion, and the first bit of exciting play came when Sewell was grassed after throwing away a centre from the Everton right. Chedgzoy shot while Sewell was on the ground, and the custodian, although surrounded by a cluster of players, caught the ball. Everton's first goal was scored by Irvine at the end of twenty-six minutes' play. In the first instance, Sewell made a very fine save from a header by Forbes, and just prevented the ball from crossing the line with his right hand. In his anxiety to get rid of the ball, Sewell threw it out of goal and it rebounded from Irvine into the net. It was a poor goal and originated from a free kick placed by Chedgzoy. Play livened up, and Bond's temper was ruffed in a bout with McDonald. Still there were few really interesting incidents, and Forbes obviously lacked weight when he tried to go through the Rovers' defence, as he was easily hustled off the ball. Near the interval Sewell had his left wrist damaged, and for a minute or two Wylie went into goal while Sewell's wrist was bandaged. When the game was resumed, Chedgzoy put in one of his best efforts. He finished a capital run by verging to goal, but his good work was wasted through lack of co-operation. Fern came out of his goal to divert a shot by Holland, and caught another fine shot by the same player, a moment later, in response to appeals to “wake up,” both sides put more vigour into their work, and Bond's clever trickery might have resulted in an equalising point had Hawksworth been a shade faster. Williams netted the ball when Sewell mistimed a clearance, but he was offside. Irvine got through and shot hard and straight, Sewell responded with a double fisted punch and then Forbes sent the ball over. Subsequently Sewell made further excellent saves. He diverted a terrific drive by Chedgzoy, and was only just in time to stop the ball with his foot when Peacock shot. Two minutes from the end, however, Sewell was beaten by a header from Forbes. Harrison centred nicely, and although Sewell tried to reach the ball he was too late to prevent it entering the corner of the net. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Brewster (captain) and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Sewell, goal, Rollo, and Wylie, backs, Healless, Reilly, and McKinnell, half-backs, Bond, Hawksworth, Holland, Howarth, and Hodkinson, forwards.

September 11, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves demonstrated all-round superiority over Blackburn Rovers Reserves at Ewood Park, and were full value for their three clear goals' victory. Jones scored for Everton after fifteen minutes, and Chadwick added a second a quarter of an hour later. Early in the second half Chadwick scored the third goal. So well did McGrae, Fleetwood, and Brown play in Everton's half-back line that the Rovers forwards were seldom able to launch a formidable attack, and when they did they found themselves opposed to a sound and resourceful defence. The Rovers attack lacked the combination and dash which so greatly characterised the work of the Everton forwards, amongst whom Jones, on the extreme left wing was very prominent with some exceedingly clever runs and smart centres.

September 11 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
An excellent game was seen at Ormskirk, both Ormskirk and Everton “A” playing splendid football. The Ormskirk forwards were more enterprising and were not slow to avail themselves of opportunities whilst Everton finished weakly. Virr missed several good opportunities. Ormskirk first goal came from Snelgroves, and it was the climax to a fine movement by the whole forward line, whilst it was due to Jeffs that they got the second point, McLoughlin taking advantage of his mistake. It was near the close when Young reduced the lead, after a good move on the part of Virr. Both goalkeepers did well, Page playing one of his best games whilst McLoughlin and Cookson made a formidable left wing pair for Ormskirk. Helsby, for Everton was the best back on the field.

September 14, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Both Everton and Blackburn Rovers fielded strong sides for their Central league match at Goodison Park yesterday afternoon, but despite the number of men playing who have had considerable first team experience, the game never reached a high standard. Thanks to the opportunities of Jackson and McGrea, Everton won 2-0, both goals being scored late in the second half. During the whole of the first half the play was scrappy, and the forwards, although good in midfield, wasted many opportunities. Later play pulled themselves together, and both sides were considerably improved in the second half. The visitors set a fast pace in the first quarter, and it was only the steadiness of Weller and Livingstone that prevented Blackburn from getting a couple of early goals. After the interval the strong sun and heavy going took toll on the Rovers, and the pace slackened greatly. The Everton forwards found that the Blackburn defence was not to reliable under pressure at their own had been, and aided by the feeding tactics of Fleetwood, Brown and McGrea, they were able to break through. Everton tried the experiments of playing Kemp, their third team goalkeeper, in the side, and he acquitted himself with credit. He showed good anticipation, and his clearing was done cleanly.

September 14,1921. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Charities will benefit to the extent of £828 add as the results of Everton two trail games, the Saturday match received £418 and the Monday
game only £8 less. The largest sum ever taken by Everton at trial games only exceed this season figure by £8.

Allan Grenyer who had been desirous of playing for Blyth Spartans, yesterday re-signed for Everton who are making no change in the team for the return match with Blackburn on Saturday.

September 18, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
It is rather difficult to offer an adequate excuse or explanation for Everton's crushing defeat at Blackburn on Saturday. After their display of the previous week it was quite expected that the visitors would give their Ewood Park opponents a gruelling game, and at least the points. It was, however, the unexpected that happened. To put the matter with perfect frankness, the Goodison Park representatives put up an astonishing disappointing fight against a side that by no stretch of the imagination could be called a powerful one, and when it is further taken into consideration that the score might well have been doubled by the Rovers, Everton's failure becomes most accentuated. There was one sensational five minutes in the second half when they were literally swept off they feet and permitted four goals to be netted. At the same time it is only fair to state that there were one or two mitigating circumstances. The home side had the advantage of a strong wind in the opening period, and this no doubt took it out of some of the visitors, while later on injuries to Brewster and Hart proved a further handicap. But it was before these latter happenings that the damage had already been done, and we are afraid that nothing more in extenuation of a feeble performance can be said. The defence of the losers left little to be desired. It was in attack that the principal weakness lay, the three inside forwards rarely looking dangerous against the Blackburn backs, before whom they almost invariably “faded away.”

Curiously enough, although they had enjoyed nothing like so much pressure at their antagonists, Everton were the first to score. This came through Wylie handling the ball in the penalty are when menaced by Harrison and Chedgzoy. The left winger (Harrison) took the penalty kick and made no mistake in netting the ball. The Rovers were not slow to reply, and a minute or so before the interval, Healless put the sides on level terms with a fine long shot that passed just beneath the bar. Honours therefore, were even at the turn, though the Rovers had missed innumerable opportunities of scoring before the equaliser came. The second half, as indicated provided the sensation of the afternoon. The Blackburn forwards playing quite as vigorously against the wind as with it proceeded to force the Everton defence and following upon fine work by Bond, McIntyre opened his lighting like account with a fast shot. Fern and his colleagues had not recovered before the same player coming through again, rammed his shot home after a struggle in the goalmouth, and then came a third, scored in much the same way. The visitors appeared to be helpless, and their confusion was complete when the ex-Sheffield player notched a fourth –thus registering a quartet in the space of five minutes. After this the home side eased up with confidence, and the one-sided encounter petered out with Everton soundly beaten.

The forward line as we have said, was much below concert pitch, except so far as the two outside men were concerned. Harrison being especially good at times, while Chedgzoy did many stylish things. Forbes seemed to be at sea when it came to making for goal, and neither Williams nor Irvine were very much better. Hart and Peacock worked like Trojans, but Brewster scarcely rose to the occasion. Hart was slightly injured in the ribs in the latter stages of the game and Brewster sustained a damaged foot. Both backs did well, particularly Raitt, and Fern kept a brilliant goal. He was in no way to blame for the five that beat him. Teams : - Blackburn Rovers: - Davies goal, Rollo, and Wylie, backs, Healless, Reilly, and McKinnell, half-backs, Bond, McIntyre, Holland, Haworth, and Hodkinson, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Brewster (captain), and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Referee-Mr. S. Rothwell, St Annes.

September 18, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
This fixture at Goodison Park, failed to arouse much enthusiasm, and the football provided was only moderate. Occasionally the home forwards displayed good form, but they hesitated to shoot, with the exception of Virr, who during the second half shot at every opportunity, and only the good work of Horrock in goal prevented him scoring. Frodsham did the bulk of the attacking during the first half. Adopting the open game, they made repeated raids on the Everton goal, but found Kemp in fine form. The visitors should have scored when Beener from eight yards' range drove the ball straight at Kemp, the ball rebounding to Johnson, who from a similar distance shot, but Kemp effected a wonderful save. The “A” team scored through Virr, who, receiving from McGiveney, drove a strong ground shot past Harrock. Throughout the second half the homesters had the best of matters, but it was late on before the lead was increased, Virr again being the scorer. Rooney on one occasion compelled Horrocks to save what seemed a certain goal. The home team were best served by Lloyd in the first half and Virr and Young in the second, whilst the halves all gave a good display, although Jeffs indulged in too much dribbling, and Taylor at centre half had a difficult task in watching Banner. The defence was sound particularly Kemp, in goal, and the outstanding player on the visitors side was Horrocks in goal, who gave a fine display. Everton “A” just about deserved a 2 goal win . Everton: - Kemp, goal, Spicer, and Helsby, backs, Jeffs, J. Taylor, and Rooney, half-backs, Lloyd, McGivney, Moffatt, Virr, and Young, forwards.

Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Wednesday 27 September 1922
Ernest Robson, the veteran Somerset cricketer, who continues to render valuable service to bis county's side, had a rousing reception at a largely-attended gathering held in his honour at launton on Saturday, when presentations were made to him in commemoration ot his most noteworthy achievement ot the season—the winning hit (for six) which gave Somerset the victory over Middlesex, the champions, Weston-super- Mare, on July 28th last. Friends irom Bridgwater and other parts of the county attended, and the company included Mr. S. M. J. Woods, the Mayor of Taunton, and Mr. W. M. Turner, a leading local supporter of the Club, who presided. The principal gift was the ball with which Robson made the winning hit, mounted on an ebony stand, with three silver miniature cricket bats as supports, and this was accompauied by a marble clock and an illuminated address. The address bore the monogram “S.C.C.” in Club colours, and the text read : Presented, together with accompanying souvenir, to Mr. Ernest Robson (Hobby), his many admirers and friends, to commemorate the occasion of his making the great hit which won for Somerset their match against Middlesex, the champions, at Westonsuper Mare on July 28th, 1922.” Then followed the •names of over fiO subscribers. The presentation was made by the Mayor (Aiderman F. S. Dodson), and warm tributes to Robson's splendid services Somerset cricket were paid by His Worship, by Mr. b. M. Woods, and Mr. Turner.— Responding. Mr. H-obson sincerely thanked all who had been associated with the presentation, and assured the company that the trophy of memorable game would ever remain among his most treasured possessions

September 23, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves gave a much-improved display at Goodison Park yesterday afternoon against Blackpool in a Central League match, and were good value for their 4-1 victory. With the object no doubt, of testing the possibilities of the reserve players in case the need for first-team changes should arise, Everton fielded an exceptionally strong side, which included Reid, and Grenyer in the half back line. Four of the five goals, which the match produced, were scored in the first half, and it was during that time that the superiority of the Everton attack was so marked. After the interval the shooting became erratic, and many opportunities were wasted. A feature of the game was the fine goalkeeping on both sides. Hacking in the Blackpool goal, gave a polished display, and it was mainly due to him that Blackpool's defeat was not a much heavier one. Kemp had not as much to do as the Blackpool goalkeeper, but whenever he was called upon, his work was stamped with the hallmark of ability. Weller and Livingstone in front of him kicked a good length, but the Stockman's judgement was not always true. Reid worked hard without standing out in any way, and Grenyer although showing signs of his old skill at times, was not altogether a success. Of the forwards, Chadwick, Miller, and Young were the pick. The goals were scored by Chadwick (2), Miller, and Parry; Scott the inside right scored for Blackpool.

September 25, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton were getting into such low water that the turn of the tide at Cardiff on Saturday came as a great relief. The victory was all the more welcome inasmuch as it was thoroughly deserved; it was a hard, stubbornly fought contest on a slippery and treacherous surface, and it served to prove the innate skill and cleverness of the Goodison Park team. Probably for the first time this season the players welded themselves into not a series of sections, but one harmonious whole. The general result was intensely gratifying and demonstrated beyond doubt the necessity of working in unison. Individual effort is all very well in its way, and to an extent it deserves to be encouraged, but the surest path to victory is a knitting together of the whole eleven –a give and take policy in the literal meaning of the term. This certainly was the secret of Everton's success on Saturday, and the somewhat excited and partisan spectators at Ninian Park were sportsmen enough to admit that the better side won. Cardiff City spoiled their chances –which were many –by an over-anxiety to find the net, and the crux of the contest centred in a missed penalty. Had this point been made the story of the encounter might easily have read differently. Everton profited by the City's loss and secured their valuable points in dramatic fashion during the last ten minutes of an altogether notable game. What impressed one most, perhaps was the vast improvement on the part of the three inside forwards; the steadying influence of Fleetwood at centre-half; and the soundness of the defence.

Persistent drizzle during the day had rendered the turf somewhat difficult in the matter of foothold, and this accounted for scrambling patches. But for the most part play was full of interest. Cardiff showed a disposition to force the pace, and Fern was called upon to clear from Len Davies, and Evans. The latter was at times distinctly dangerous, and the former put in one fine shot that was well saved. At the other end Forbes, Williams, and Harrison had chances, which were permitted to pass. Grimshaw in turn tried his luck to no purpose, and Clennell on three occasions was only pulled up in the nick of time. Raitt bowled him over fairly enough once, and then Fleetwood upset the ex-Evertonian, in the penalty area. Evans was entrusted with the penalty kick , and he sent in a swift rising shot, which Fern cleared in marvellous fashion at the cost of a corner. Subsequently Davies and Gill attempted to get through, but the interval arrived without anything having happened. In the second period Everton developed their general plan of campaign very cleverly. There was much pretty work between the halves and the vanguard, and Irvine was unlucky in not opening the score. A few moments later Forbes delivered a tremendous shot, which the home keeper fisted clear. Interest was kept at concert pitch, and towards the end it was heightened when Chedgzoy put the ball to Williams, who shot, and hit the upright. The same player, however, caught the rebound, and netted at close range. A few minutes later Chedgzoy again centred with fine accuracy, and Williams repeated his success with a well-judged hook shot, which glanced into the net after hitting the far post.

Generous praise must be given to Fern, for the way in which he kept goal, particularly the pushing aide of the penalty, and both McDonald and Raitt proved their worth. Fleetwood as already stated, showed that his reintroduction to the side had a stimulating effect. Peacock and Hart proved equally alive, and the forwards showed the grit of which they are really made. Forbes displayed several happy touches, and he was well backed by both Irvine and Williams. The outside wingers proved what artistes they are, even on a slippery surface. Teams: - Cardiff City: - Davies Page, and Blair, backs, Keenor, Smith, and Hardy, half-backs, Grimshaw, Gill, Davies, Clennell, and Evans, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Referee; Mr. D. H. Asson, of Birmingham.

September 25, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. By losing the toss Everton had the sun and wind against them, and consequently the early play favoured Ormskirk. Kemp saving two smarts drives from Williams and Mcloughlin. Afterwards Page, the Ormskirk goalkeeper, made a clever clearance with several opponents upon him. Everton improved, and Virr opened the score after twenty-five minutes' play. This was followed soon afterwards by another goal by Moffatt, who converted a centre by Young, and at half-time Everton led by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Ormskirk attacked, and Kemp was fortunate in tipping a shot from Gregson over the bar. Moffatt then scored Everton's third point. Almost immediately from the kick off Snelgrove reduce the lead, McGivney got a fourth for Everton, and Snelgrove a second for Ormskirk.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 26 September 1922
Mr. H. E. Clayton, third son of Mr. W. Clayton, well-known Liverpool shipbroker, and ex-chairman of the Everton Football Club directors, died yesterday the result of injuries received on Sunday. While out walking Sunday morning the neighbourhood of his home Formby, was knocked down by motor car, and sustained what proved be fatal injuries to his head body. Mr. Clayton was struck so violently that both the wind-screen and lamp the motor car were smashed. The deceased gentleman was twenty-five years of age. And was associated with father in business.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 28 September 1922
Grimsby Town, who have been seeking a forward of experience to balance the attack, and divert some of the attention which defences of late have been devoting to Carmichael and Miller, yesterday secured the transfer from Bury of W. H. J. Kirsopp, who last season was captain of the Bury team.  Kirsopp was previously associated with Everton, and during their championship season figured the attack, and scored 9 goals. He served with the Scots Guards during the war. and after demobilisation re-joined Everton, for whom he was top scorer. stands 5ft. 8in.. and weighs 11st. He will make his first appearance with the Mariners at Wigan on Saturday.

September 1922