Everton Independent Research Data


September 1 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Courier
Everton Reserves last night beat Birmingham by 3-0 in a fine fast game, wherein the youngsters of the home side showed how good they can be. Their victory of three clear goals was chiefly due to the coherent way the three half-backs played. Bain, at centre-half, has grown into a wise controller and leader; Rooney and Virr are graduates from the “A” team, and being tall and long of leg are essentially the type with which to persevere. They were the secret of Everton's success and the culminating shots of Dean, Chadwick, and others brough the victory. Rooney went out of his way to dribble beyond four men and he shot from inside right, and scored early on. This disheartened Birmingham, who had a rugged side, whose forwards can manipulate the ball, but the easy chance is their greatest difficulty. Chadwick got home two goals, each from a dean pass, and if there had not been an especially good display on the part of Hibbs in goal, the Birmingham side would have taken a ten goals deflect. Well-built, Hibbs had a solid and sure way with him, and some of his saves of the pile-driving shots of Chadwick gained him a special rally from a crowd they must have been near the 6,000 mark. The spectators had full value the first half, in which all the goals scored were of a fine rustling character. Rand giving much pleasure by his doggedness and a dodging runs, and Weaver pairing off with Chadwick to nice effect. Birmingham were outclassed before the end, and their best were the defenders and, perhaps Ashworth and Russell. Kendall made one good save and made one slipshod effort. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and Livingstone, backs, Rooney, Bain, and Virr half-backs, Parry, Rand, Dean, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards. Birmingham City Reserves: - Hibbs, goal, Ashworth, and Hamby, backs, Staley, Dale, and Bruce half-backs, E. Harvey, Devlins, Castle, Russell, and Scrivan, forwards.

September 3, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By common consent Everton did wonderfully well to leave the West Bromwich ground having earned a point, and this view was sincere and totally without partisan sarcasm. The game gave each side a goal, and although the evening was cheerless and cold, Everton's display must be written down as their most dogged for some season's, because a single incident was automatically followed by a wholesale rearrangement. Everything went well until a quarter if an hour's play had gone. They had shown a sparkle, which promised great things, and Harland had made a thrilling save off James's feet in addition to other good work. At this point, however, the trouble started, Harland, in again making a dangerous save from Byers, was thrown in the air and fell heavily hurting his right leg. He was taken off with O'Donnell going into goal. Hart came back a position, and Kennedy filled his captain's berth. James was also carried off for the last quarter of the first half, but whereas he was able to come back following the interval, Everton were still without Harland until ten minutes after the restart. Even them he could only hobble, and Troup went inside left.

The Albion whose forwards proved very difficult to hold, in the meantime had bad raids after raid, but O'Donnell and his backs had played a sterling defensive game. Broad was ever lying waiting for that chance of opening and after many hardworking yet fruitless efforts –he was generally unsupported owing to the rearrangement –he back-heeled the ball to Irvine, who just after the restart had time to recover from a stumbling in order to beat Ashmore with a ball the goalkeeper touched but could bot hold. It was amazing that the visitors should have gained the lead, which however, Wilson, who was in Stanley Davies's place, terminated when he scored after beating Hart. Everton stayed the course well, and considering their big handicap, it was no surprise that they, as a team, and O'Donnell in particular, should receive an ovation for their great work. Everton deserved their share of the points, and it was fitting that their opponents should force a draw. Harland pluckily played on after his injury, but he was materially of little use to his side.

The feature was the defensive work done by all. Kennedy, McBain, and Brown, who was slightly injured in the last minute of the game were tireless in their efforts, and they were successfully in holding a tricky forward line, even if they wasted chance after chance. McDonald was the best back on the field, and O'Donnell found plenty of work in goal, which he disposed of in surprising fashion. Irvine was the best forward, followed by Chedgzoy, and Troup without his partner was apparently lost and waiting for chances, which were few and far between. Albion have kept up last season's standard of play and as a team they are sure to do well. It was the dourness of the Everton defence which prevented them from having a handsome win, although James and his colleagues were not deadly in his shooing department. Everton might have snatched a win, and even though they did not, they put up one of the best display's they have given for a long time. Teams: - West Bromwich Albion: - Ashmore, goal, Smith, and Baugh, backs, Magee, Reed, and Richardson, half-backs, Glidden, Carter James, Wilson, and Byers, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Broad, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Crewe, Leicester.

September 5, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton visit Cardiff City, and are quite likely to play their third drawn game. The City have opened with two defeats, both away from home, and will be hopeful of striking a winning vein before their own supporters. Everton played finely at West Bromwich on Wednesday though Harland, the goalkeeper was injured, and had to play outside left, with O'Donnell disputsing as goalkeeper. Everton gave a fine display on that cohesion, and a reproduction of that form today, should enable then to secure at least a point. As a result of his injury Harland may not play today and probable team is: - Kendall, McDonald, O'Donnell; Brown, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irvine, Broad, Kennedy, Troup.

September 7, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Although the conditions at Nianian Park was against an inspiring exhibition Cardiff City and Everton provided a game which at times sparkled, in spite of the persistent rain. The contest throughout was carried through in the happiest manner, and no foul occurred and there was only one rulings under the new offside law. It was evident from the start that the Welsh club intended to make a good impression upon their supporters in their first home fixture. They certainly set the pace, and if it had not been for the wonderful work of the Everton defence their victory would have been much heavier than by 2 goals to 1. The work of their forwards showed that nimbleness of foot, which stood them in such great stead last season, and in the first half especially they dominated the general run of the play.

The Everton forward line, which had to be changed at the last moment, was not particularly convincing, though in the latter stages' they settled down to decent combination, and troubled the home backs with one or two well-judged shots. This was proved by the fact that in the last kick of the game Murray, who throughout had done good service, down the ball into the net, and so reduced the adverse margin. Owing to Irvine being found unfit, his place was taken by the South African Murray, who partnered Chedgzoy in the most successful manner, and well won his sours with his new club. Cardiff were not slow to get on the move, and in the first few minutes strong shots were sent in by Len Davies and the two inside forwards, both Gill and Beadles being particularly dangerous. Fortunately for Everton, McDonald and O'Donnell were at the top of their form, the former being particularly clever in his clearances while Kendall in goal, proved his worth. Indeed throughout the match he maintained an attitude of anticipation and alertness which warded off what might have proved a deluge of goals.

It was not until five minutes from the interval that Cardiff managed to make their superiority definite but they did this in no uncertain fashion, for a combined effort on the part of the front rank led to9 Kendall being drawn out, thus enabling Gill to score a clever goal. Two minutes later Beadles, who throughout played an attractive game, added a second, and so the interval arrived with the Welsh club being two up. In the second half Everton showed some improvement though their forward work was frequently very ragged. Reid, who was operating in place of McBain worked like a Trojan, but his forward passes were not turned to account. Chedgzoy had several chances to reduce the leeway, both he, Broad, and Kennedy threw them away, and it was not until the last minute of the game that some slight consolation was afforded when Murray got through and netted with a stinging shot.

Generally speaking Everton had their defence to thank for so slight a besting, Reid did a lot of hard work at centre half, but he was not so well supported as might have been desired, while the forwards seemed to lack the necessary combination. There were of course, individual touches but neither of the outside men came quite up to their reputation. Cardiff City were sound in defence, though for the most part both Blair and Nelson were given a fairly easy task. Keenor was mainly responsible for breaking up the Everton attack and he served his forwards with customary skill. Len Davies was speedy as ever, at centre forward and he was admirably supported on either side. Altogether it was a brisk and enjoyable game and the City were entitled to their points. Teams: - Cardiff City: - Farquharson, goal, Nelson. And Wake, backs, Keenor, Hardy, Lawson, half-backs, Gill, Len Davies, Beadles, W. Davies. Everton: - Kendall, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown Reid and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Murray, Broad, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards.

September 7, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Dean, the Everton centre forward, scored no fewer than seven goals in the Central League match against Bradford City Reserves at Goodison Park, on Saturday, five of them in succession. Everton won the game by 10 goals to nothing. Everton were the superior team throughout, and though good play by Bain were early two goals up. Jones, the Everton keeper, had a quiet time and was not called upon until after twenty-five minutes when he saved a good shot from Wright, who later had to leave the field through a collision with Raitt. Everton had a comfortable lead at the interval with four goals scored by Houghton (2), and Dean (2). Although playing a man short Bradford put up a plucky fight in the second half, but failed to pass the Everton defence Raitt and Livingstone along with Bain playing a good game. Weaver scored the fifth goal after the crossbar had been struck three times. Then in the last half hour Dean helped himself to five goals, making his total seven and Everton's score 10-0. Everton: - Jones, goal, Raitt and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Bain and Virr, backs, Parry, Rand, Dean, Houghton, and Weaver, forwards.

September 7, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A good hard game was witnessed at Great Crosby. On opening, Everton appeared to have the game well in hand, but at the interval the score was 2 –nil. On resuming Marine greatly improved and gave a much better display eventually running out winners by 6 goals to 3. Clayton, Hudson, and Simond were their outstanding men. Although the whole team played well in the second half. For Everton Harrington and Whitlaw, the extreme wingers were always dangerous, and in spite of the score their goalkeeper gave a good display.

September 9, 1925. Derby Daily Telegraph
Everton Reserves when visiting the Baseball Ground in a Central League fixture on Saturday will be represented by a strong side in; Kendall; Raitt, Livingstone; Peacock, Bain, Virr; Parry, Band, Dean, Chadwick, and Weaver.

September 9, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton meet Birmingham at Goodison Park, the kick off taking place at 6-15, and the home side hope to secure their first victory of the season. Birmingham have obtained four points out of a possible six. Everton are playing the same side that lost at Cardiff on Saturday Harland, McBain, and Irvine being on the injured list, and Murray, the South African, thus makes his debut at Goodison park in a League match. Birmingham are without Cringan, their centre-half, and Briggs outside right, who are injured. The teams will be: - Everton: - Kendall; McDonald, O'Donnell; Brown Reid Hart; Chedgzoy, Murray, Broad, Kennedy, Troup. Birmingham: - Tremelling; Womack, Jones; Dale, Hunter, Barton; Harris, Crosbie, Bradford, Islip, Scriven.

September 10, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By “Bees.”
Twenty-five thousand spectators at Everton, last night, must have seen that Everton have not yet solved the mystery of the new offside rule, by which a pile of goals were to be obtained for the asking. Everton have by reason of their second half rally shown they have some fight left in them, and their enterprising finish will at least save them the blushes that would have arisen had Birmingham gone home with the victory they deserved! A draw of two each was the verdict, and Everton never seemed capable of getting the goals, while the methods employed by the visitors suggested they had marshallied their forces in a way that make goal getting easy. Birmingham must have slept through the Inter stages of play, or they would never have frittered away the simplest of chances after they had constructed their attack in quite an artistic and effective manner. Forwards so good in combination should never have been content with two goals. They did not score in the first half, chiefly through Kendall's good keeping, and through O'Donnell momentarily becoming a goalkeerper (as at West Bromwich) falling on his knees and keeping the ball out of goal without having resource to handling. Surely, there rarely has been so much bungling in front of goal as one saw last night when Everton were penned in. Full backs screwed the ball high or at a tangent; forwards were so startled by these grif chances that they could not shoot straight; yet Kendall made some good saves, none better than his pick-up of a fiery shot from Bradford that seemed to have beaten him all the way. But Kendall had faults, so had the other Everton players, and even McDonald at times risked too much.

Perhaps the biggest blow to Everton was after Harris had scored had scored from outside left, aided by McDonald's blunder, and Islip had taken one of Bradford's charming pass-back grits. McDonald was hurt and took up the outside right position. Chedgzoy who had failed went to half-back, and Brown dropped to full back. The team was transformed in a trice. From being lethargic and uncertain, they became a live force. They had been proverty-stricken in attack, save on the part of Broad's dash and Troup's fine feeding. McDonald could only use one leg, but he saw to it that the ball was lobbed to goal, just far out to be irksome to the goalkeeper Tremelling, and just near in be irksome to the three back principle, which the Midland side uses. Hunter, the centre half keeps his full backs company, and the backs each take a wing. The combination is a new one, after seeing it worked one can recommend it in these days of many goals, poor football and backs who won't go up the field, and half-backs who stay at the back and call of full backs. McDonald's hurt was Everton's gain. He inspired the crowd and the players and in spite of further injury he went on with his gallant work, and near the close Kennedy scored, and two minutes from time another similar type of goal –not clean made was put up by Troup. Everton's best forward all though. A draw –and it never seemed possible.

The secret of Birmingham's clever football spirit that was not evinced by their rivals. They were not slaves to their wing-men with passes, each linked up with the other; a half-back would put the ball up and go up to the right position to receive a pass; the usual thing was not done. Harris, on the right wing, was a trouble to all defenders, Islip was slippery as an eel. Hunter at half back served the purpose for which he was planted –a stop between the two full backs. Tremelling made one glorious save from Broad at the foot of the post, and it was from this that Broad, running up to the referee to claim a penalty kick, was accidentally hit in the face by Referee Kingscott, who was swinging his arms around in token of the phrase “play on.” It was an uncommon accident, and Broad was knocked out by the blow, but the spectators seemed to think the referee to blame, and they roundly booed him. Which was absurd. The first half of the game would have been positively dull had not Birmingham played pretty football, the second half would have been an avalanche but for the backs, and Kendall and but for the sensational finish which brought Everton a very lucky point. Teams : - Everton: - Kendall, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, Reid, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Murray, Broad Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Womack, and Jones, backs, Dale, Hunter, and Barton half-backs, Harris, Crosbie, Bradford, Islip, and Scriven. Referee Mr. Kingscott of Long Eaton.

September 12, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton directors have experienced considerable difficulty in selecting the team for today's match, as a number of players are on the injured list. Harland McDonald (who was injured on Wednesday), Irvine, Chadwick, and Parry are all unfit to play, but McBain returns to the side. Raitts comes in at full back, Peacock will partner Chedgzoy on the right wing, while Dean, who scored seven goals for the Reserve team last Saturday, will be at centre forward. The kick off is at 3-15, and the team will be: - Everton: - Kendall' Raitt, O'Donnell; Brown, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Peacock, Dean, Kennedy, Troup. Tottenham Hotspur: - Hinton, goal, Clay, and Forester; Smith, Lowe, Grimsdell; Osborne, Seed, Lindsay, Elkes, Dimmock.

September 14, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Tottenham Hotspur experienced their first check of the season at Goodison park on Saturday, when they drew with Everton, each side scoring one during the second half in a game which was quite the best seen in Liverpool during the present season. Neither side attempted any distinctive methods with the result that the flow of the game was not interfed with, and bright, fascinating football produced. Once again, however, Everton were fortunate in sharing the points, because Tottenham were a much better side. Three was little wrong with Everton's display in the first half –indeed, it might fairly be said they surprised everyone with their sparkle and dash; but the second half presented a different picture. They fought hard and were never overplayed, but the vigour and buoyancy, which characterised their movements in the first half, evaporated after the interval.

Tottenham on the other hand played cleverly right through the game and finished a much stronger side. The London team, however, had one glaring and fatal fault. They shot badly. Their cleverness was beyond dispute, yet they missed chances that should have made success certain. Kendall did good work in the Everton, but he was spared many anxious moments through the poor shooting of the Spurs' forwards. McDonald was missed, because Raitt was not so steady nor yet as sound in his tackling. O'Donnell struck to his work well, although he found Seed an elusive forward to deal with. The Spurs' defence was more reliable and confident. In addition, they had a plan that worked admirably. Lowe, the centre-half, frequently fell back when danger threatened, and became a third full back, while Forester's policy of standing in the goal saved at least one certain goal, because he was able to kick the ball away when Troup shot early on with Hinton yards away from the spot.

Hinton kept a splendid goal, and he timed his dashes for the ball to a nicety. Clay was cool and clever and displayed excellent judgement in taking up positions. The Spurs had an advantage, the half-backs, Grimsdell was as effective as ever, and Smith a hard-working, and resourceful player. Brown was Everton's best in this section. McBain was moderate, and Hart found the pace of the Spurs' forwards rather too fast. There was no comparison in this respective forward line. The Spurs were fast and clever yet quite ineffective when the goal area was reached. Lindsay missed a great chance of winning the game when he put the ball over the bar from almost pointblank range. Dimmock was the best shooter and Elkes the cleverest forward on the field. Seed was not as successful as usual, and Osborne's best effort was the centre that provided Dimmock with the opportunity of scoring Tottenham's goal.

Dean led the Everton attack and was by no means a failure, for he kept the line well together, and was always prominent in the attacks upon the Spurs' goal. Troup and Kennedy made a useful wing, but Peacock hardly got the best out of Chedgzoy, because he was inclined to roam and leave Chedgzoy to work single-handed. Everton scored first at fifty nine minutes, Peacock driving the ball into the net from a corner forced by Dean, and three minutes later Dimmock equalised from Osborne's centre, the ball going into the net off Raiit. Teams: - Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Tottenham Hotspur: - Hinton, goal, Clay, and Forester, backs, Smith, Lowe, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Osborne, Seed, Lindsay, Eikes, and Dimmock, forwards.

September 14, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
In the game at Derby, Everton Reserves enjoyed a full share of the exchanges before the interval weak shooting by the visiting forwards explaining Derby's two goals lead. Pumford scored for the home side following a free kick after ten minutes, adding the second thirty minutes' later. After the interval Everton were outplayed. Pumford and Bromage adding excellent goals, while Wade and Fazackerley were distinctly unfortunate. After giving a brilliant display in home goal Fox was beaten twice in the last five minutes both goals coming from Weaver.

September 15, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton fielded a powerful side for their match at the Hawthorns, but the Throstles dominated the play until Murray scored for Everton after eleven minutes. Subsequently play favoured the Albion, and after Wilson had struck the post Spencer equalised from the rebound and short gave the Albion the lead soon afterwards. The Everton goal underwent a terrific siege, Jones playing magnificently in goal. At half time the Albion led by 2 to 1. Short increased the advantage immediately after the restart. The game developed into a fierce bombardment of the Everton goal, and Jones played valiantly without adequate support, Broad converted a penalty, and Wilson and Spencer added goals for Albion, who won easily by 5 goals to 2.

September 15, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton had a representative at Kirkcaldy on Saturday watching the game between Raith Rovers and Airdrieonians. The object of the visit was to see Alex James, inside-left of Raith Rovers, but it is stated that the mission was a double one, the report being that the Goodison club are also interested in Bennie, Airdrieonians left-half back. However James is on the transfer list of his club, and it is here that business may be done especially as James was one of the best players on the field in the game, referred to. He belongs to Strathaven in Lanarkshire and was picked up by the Rovers from Glasgow team Ashfield. He is not much height, but is stockily built, and has great power in his shooting. Some trouble arose between the club and James after the opening of the season, and he then expressed the desire for leaving. The club were not inclined to let him go, but when his father in law David Willis, the former Newcastle United player, who was trainer for the Rovers, left for a similar position with Notts Forest, the desire to be placed on the transfer list was again expressed and accended to.

September 17, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By “Bees.”
Everton gained their first victory of the season last night when before a crowd of 25,000 spectators, they defeated West Bromwich Albion by 4 goals to nil. It was noticeable that Everton's inside forwards, Kennedy and Irvine were inclined to hang back a few yards, and the forward line gained by this, in addition to which the men named could give help to a harassed defence. No one contend that there were four goals between the two clubs, but Albion have only themselves to blame for not taking the lead in the first half, when they had the measure of Everton, and with Stanley Davies playing against his old comrades and providing fine ground passes, Kendall should have been tested, whereas he escaped practically the whole of the first half thanks to Byers and Glidden getting in each other's way to a simple shot, and thanks also to Byers being erratic and hasty in his judgement when he stood on the goal line. All this time Everton were suffering from a fear that comes of a vexatious start to the season. But the turn in the game came after the Albion had allowed goals to slide away.

A corner kick was given and Kennedy scored from it. The referee Mr. T. Crew, of Leicester. Had given a goal kick; a linesmen was adamant that it was a corner kick, and in view of Kennedy's urgent effort to try to keep the ball from going over the line for a goal kick it is hard to reconcile the linesman's verdict. However, the goal was scored from a corner, –which in itself –is unusual, because corners do not produce many goals –and the Albion side went away protesting, and at half time went away with a grievance. They took a long interval, and when they returned they found Irvine a thorn. He dribbled to excess at times and one moment ran into a full back full tilt. That stopped his roaming and the ball was taken up by Dean, who offered a nice pass to Troup, and the latter scored a thrilling goal.

This was the beginning of Dean's justification. He offered two passes near the end of the game to make goals for Kennedy and Irvine, and he did more than at any previous match to justify his position as leader. His sallies against the defenders, his heading his passes, his ground movements all these stamped him a natural footballer, and showed that Everton's play had been more combined and cohesive he would have got goals. It seemed that he was trying to do too much because he had not yet scored but having given passes for three goals, he can take heart. Moreover, he gave such staunch backs as Joe Smith and Baugh a rougher passsager, in the best sense of the term. He was always challenging them and refusing to let them have free kicks. He can charge lustily; he can head, he can shoot –and he has come to stay in Everton's good books. For months there has been a doubt whether he was ripe for First Division football. His misfortune was that he played in a side that had temporarily lost its form. There can be no debate about his ability after last nights work. Moreover, the work and of McBain, Hart and Rochardson was of a high standard, resolute in tackling and good in feeding up the field passes. The good play of the Everton half-backs line must have counted much towards victory.

Yet one would not hasten on without recognising that there are still faults in the full back division. Albion showed this up just as patently as they showed up their own failty with grit-goals. The Albion are nippy, slightly on the small side, and not as good as usual at half-back, where Rooke, acting for Reed, had an awkward time. James was not at his best and Byers was too concerned with a bother with Raitt to do himself justice. Glidden is still a joy and Richardson and Stanley Davies were splendidly up to a point. It was a grueling game with few stops for injuries, too many stops for fouls and wrong throws, and Hart and James in colliding cracked their heads. Baugh and Richardson hurt their thighs early on, and in spite of this Richardson was possibly the cleverest half back on view. Everton by winning have set the ball rolling and they should improve in future games. But there must be no change of practical measures, the side must move up when a forward dribbles, and they must make passes when they can rather them roam till they become smothered out of sight of goal. Teams: - Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and O' Donnell, backs, Browm, McBain, and Hart (captain), Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Ashmore, goal, Smith, and Baugh, backs, Richardson, Rooke, and Dutton, half-backs, Glidden, Jones, James, Davies and Byers, forwards. Referee T. Crew.

September 19 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton generally give a good account of themselves, against Manchester City, and if they play as well as they did against West Brom on Wednesday they will not be beaten. Everton make no changes from the side that beat Albion, which for City Browell plays at centre forward. Roberts going inside right. The kick off is fixed for 3-15 and the team is: - Kendall; Raitt, McDonald; Brown, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, Troup. Manchester City: - Mitchell, Cookson, McCoy; Sharp, Cowan, Pringle; Austin, Roberts, Browell, Johnson, Hicks.

Everton are now receiving acknowledgment of the £931 they have paid out of receipts from the trail matches, the proceeds of which are always devoted to local charities. A sum of £250 was added to the trail figures and thus the actual total made one of the best in the history of the club. The allocations were as follow, Stanley hospital £230, David Lewis north hospital £105, southern hospital £105, royal infirmary £105, Bootle borough hospital £52-10, national institute for the blind £30, Liverpool child welfare £30, women's hospital and Samaritan home £25, national lifeboat institution £25, Wallesey Victoria hospital £25, children's infirmary myrtle-street £25, Liverpool home for incurables £20-4-3, west lancs mental welfare £20, Bootle cc £21, the maternile home £20, St john ambulance £10, lances FA benevolent fund £10, inst. of journalist orphan funds £10, john Howard fund £10, Liverpool union of boy clubs £10, N.S.P.C.A, £10, Walton nursing association £7-1-=0, St Paul's eye and ear hospital £7-10-0.

September 21, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Courier.
Those spectators who braved the elements at Manchester on Saturday had the satisfaction of seeing a remarkable game, full of surprises and thrills. This may be gathered from the fact that eight goals were scored, and that the home side, after being apparently hopelessly beaten, snatched the game out of the fire and made an honorable draw. The ground at Maine-road, which has not yet knit properly, was in a treacherous condition, but in spite of this play was not only vigorous but fast and clever. Indeed, in the first half the Everton players excelled themselves, the work of the half-backs and forwards being brilliant, and when the interval came they were full value for the lead they held. Apparently, however, they had rather overtaxed their staving capacity, and this, added to injuries to Brown and Dean, so depleted their ranks that their combination was thrown completely out of gear. Manchester City were not slow to profit by the misfortunes of the visitors, and thanks to Browell, who was at the top of his form, they succeeded in dividing the spoils. Altogether it was a memorable game, Everton are entitled to commiseration for their disappointment, but at the same time one cannot overlook the fact that the City fought a losing battle in the best and gamiest spirit.

Everton got off the mark with startling alacrity, for the game was less than five minutes old when Dean earned for himself the credit of scoring his first goal in first class company this season. This appeared to have an electrical effect upon the visitors for, after the lapse of another ten minutes Kennedy got past Mitchell's defence in very clever style. The City backs were kept absolutely on the defensive, and after another ten minutes they were beaten for the third time, Irvine getting a clever goal. It was than that the City, apparently in a fit of desperation, took up the attack, and from a good half-back play Browell beat Kendall. The visitors, however, swooped down again, and just before the interval Kennedy registered a fourth goal for his side. In the second half matters went all against the visitors. Two minutes after the resumption Browell, who was splendidly fed, reduced the lead with a second good goal, and he repeated this performance twenty minutes later. During this period the Everton goal had been subjected to a severe bombardment, but Kendall displayed brilliant custodianship. Everton's chances of holding their own were reduced by the fact that brown owing to damaged leg, had to leave the field, and with Chedgzoy falling back into the halfway line their ranks were completely disorganised. Matters were made even worse when Dean was forced to retire. Meanwhile the City forwards exercised their pace and skill to the full, and Browell secure the fourth goal.

In the Everton defence the bright star was Kendall. O'Donnell also did extremely well, but Raitt at times was inclined to take risks. McBain was the master mind of the centre line, and the most conspicuous forwards were the three inside men, Kennedy showing great skill and trickiness in the work, while Dean when he got the opportunity, was ever ready to shoot. The City forwards were splendidly led by the ex-Evertonian Browell. Austin put in a number of fine centres, and Johnson was frequently on the mark. The half-backs were sound, but the backs were occasionally on the shaky side, and though Mitchell saved reveral shots he was not quite as confident in his clearances as he might have been. Teams: - Manchester City: - J.F. Mitchell, goal, Cookson, and McCloy, backs, Sharp, Cowan, and Prongle, half-backs, Austin, Roberts, Browell, Johnson, and Hicks, forwards. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee A.J. Costley, (Wolverhampton).

September 21, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Incessant rain left the ground in a bad state, and the game had only been in progress a few minutes when Reid skied the ball into his own goalmouth, and Jones in attempting to clear, helped the ball into his own net. Everton afterwards attacked strongly for an equaliser, and chiefly through good work by Murray and Weaver the former made the scores level before the interval. Elwood the City centre-half played a great game and frequently broke up the Everton attack. He also had the satisfaction of placing his side in front with a long kick. Everton were slightly the superior side, but were handicapped for some time through the services of Weaver who had to leave the field injured. After his return the home side put on pressure and in the last five minutes Murray paved the way for Rand to equliase.

September 21 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Harlandic by virtue of a draw with Everton “A” at Pirrie Park, kept their unbeaten record intact. Harlandic, however, were unfortunate in not securing both points as throughout they enjoyed the greater portion of the game. Stubbs at centre forward, was the pick of the home players, while Carney and Sharp formed an excellent right wing, being ably fed by Massey at right half. Everton were best represented by Davis (goal) and Hamilton, the former playing exceedingly well.

September 22, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By “Bees.”
There seems some peculiar fate overhanging the Everton team. They do not seem capable of completing a game at full strength. Harland, their goalkeeper, was hurt at West Bromwich and O'Donnell, the full-back took his place in goal and helped to make the game a draw. Then came McDonald's injury against Birmingham at Goodison Park. Following that on Saturday last brown and Dean were injured, Brown so much so that he could not take part last night in the heroic defeat of 3-1, at Birmingham's ground. Dean was able to play but the chapter of accidents was made still worse by Kendall getting a blow on the thigh and knee-cap and being rendered unconscious for a time. This occurred after the game had been going fifteen minutes and O'Donnell once again donned the green jersey without being quite able to save three goals. All the Everton men seemed to put forward that little bit more when Kendall went off the field, and at three distinct stages of the game they made such a gallant fight and played such earnest football that they threatened to draw. Nothing went their way save the applause of the 12,000 spectators and the last goal of the four to Irvine.

They started by losing the toss and facing the sun as well as a strong wind. For the first few moments Briggs and Bradford were a source of trouble to them, but their defence having weathered the storm the Everton side were just beginning to play a good combined and rousing game when the blow that befell then dashed their hopes. Any side playing under the new rules of offside minus any one man is almost automatically a losing side, therefore it was no surprise when Bradford scored by glancing a swift ball into the corner of the net. Thereafter till the interval. O'Donnell with one-handed punches saved in real goalkeeper fashion. At one point he turned a somersault when challenged by a crowd of players and with out releasing his grip was able to make a clearance. The crowd showed much sympathy and encouragement which was more than one could say of Briggs, who took a risk with O'Donnell's limbs, Raitt intervening Kendall appeared at outside right for a few minutes of the second half then feeling faint had to retire. He had no sooner done so than Bradford beat the defenders and the game seemed as good as won. However, Everton took command and Irvine shot to the foot of the post, and also gave Tremelling a hot shot to save, while Dean headed against the post. Everton found new life and inspiration, and every man was pulling out the best when Dean went near again.

The Birmingham defence crumbled and Hart joining Raitt at full back and Kennedy becoming left half-back, easily held up the Birmingham forwards who were very erratic. However, Briggs scored at the seventy-seventh minute a goal that would have been null and void through offside, but for Hart walking into the playing area after having been outside the line. Irvine got a good goal within a minute of the previous goal, and in the closing stages O'Donnell saved from three yards' range and also punched over from a corner in the accepted manner. There was merit in defeat. Everton played a better stamp of football than their rivals, and found fate against them. Words can not hardly describe O'Donnell's work in goal, nor yet Raitt's work at full back. Peacock, McBain, and Hart were brilliant, McBain in particular, playing with vim that did not rob him of his subtlety nor yet his artistry. Irvine, was the best forward on the field. He did two's men work. In fact despite what the score suggests there was not a weakness in the Everton's side. The plain matter of fact is that ten men cannot hope to beat eleven, in the season of grace 1925-26. On the Birmingham side Womack stood out as a leader and defender. Cringan had many duels with Dean, Barton was often at fault, and Crosbie and Bradford were the brains of the home attack. Briggs would have been good had he been less selfness. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Womack, and Jones, backs, Liddell, Cringan, and Barton, half-backs, Harris, Crosbie, Bradford, Briggs, and Scriven, forwards. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Peacock, McBain and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Kingscott.

Diss Express - Friday 25 September 1925
How the Offside Change Is Making Everybody Think.
By Sam Chedgzoy. ( The famous International outside right of Everton.)
Not once, but scores of times in the past has it been said that the trouble with football is that all the big teams played the game in the same way, and that the big majority of the players were tarred with the same brush. Perhaps there is something in the suggestion, because it is naturally difficult to resist the temptation to carry on with tactics which prove themselves successful. Possibly we haven't thought as much about the game in the past as we might have done ; we may have been inclined to play with our feet only, instead of with our heads as well. For this state of things there is a possible explanation, with which I shall deal later. First of all, however, I want to deal with what is a hot topic of the moment, because it is not outside the scope of this article. I refer to the new offside rule. Personally I think it is still far to early too make up our minds definitely that the change in the rule will have this or that effect on the game. In the end it may prove for good, while on the other hand it may do something to eliminate the finer arts of the game. For the moment I am welcoming the new condition for this one very good reason—that it is causing us all to think. We have not been able to start this new season as we have started many seasons past—in the same old groove. Something new has been offered to us, and although some people hold the opinion that the offside nile had to be changed because forwards would not use their brains, the change to my mind, has compelled us to think. The alteration has called for new methods in attack and in defence.  Full backs can no longer rely on that astute move up the field to throw opponents offside, while on the other hand, forward experiments have had to be tried with a view to getting the most out of the new order of things. Not yet can it be said that a perfect system has been evolved, but we are all thinking, and it seems to me that if we all get into using our brains as a habit, the football which is eventually provided for the public will certainly be different and really ought to be better. After all, it isn't so much the present generation of footballers who will use to the full the new conditions. It is the new generation and it is to this younger and coming generation that I would speak for a minute or two. One of the faults of the younger players as I have seen them in recent seasons is that they have been apt to take their football education as completed the minute they have got into the premier eleven of a big club. Really, of course, the opposite is the case : they are just at the beginning of their learning, and as my old friend Billy Meredith told me when he was on the verge of fifty years of age, he would like to spend another twenty years in the game to learn the things which he had not time to learn in that amazingly long career. The Meredith attitude towards football is the right attitude. The young lads must use their brains —and never finish learning. After all why should it be assumed that we older players have made the very most of our opportunities : have developed the game in the only way in which it can be developed. There are all sorts of avenues open for the players and the team with original views. I believe it is a fact that in the olden days a team used to be composed of six forwards, three half-backs, one full-back and a goalkeeper, while another old-time formation was two half-backs, two full-backs and six forwards. We have now settled down, more or less, to five forwards, three half-backs, two full-backs and a goalkeeper. Is it absolutely certain that this is the best formation both for offence and defence ? May not somebody in the near future get busy with a brain-box and think out a new scheme ?  Mind, I not saying that there is a better formation, but what I do say is that it is a mistake to conclude that the last word has been said on tactics. Let us encourage the young players to think, and here I want to lay emphasis on that word encourage, and switch ray remarks for a moment from the player to the spectator. You onlookers, you people who have often charged the footballer with lack of brains : have you encouraged the young players to break out into some new line of play ? If my readers answer that question conscientiously, think they will also answer if with a very direct negative. I have seen young lads go on the field with ideas bristling out of them like the points on the back of a porcupine. He may have been a forward who has taken on himself a sort of roving commission : a fullback who has dashed up among the attackers and had a shot goal, or a custodian who can bang the ball half-way down the field with his fist. What has happened to these players with ideas For the most part they have just flabbergasted the onlookers at first, and then they have called down on their heads severe criticism. My conclusion is that one reason why we footballers may give the impression that we all come out of the same mould is that spectators would not have it otherwise. But I repeat that the possibilities for development in the game lie in the direction of encouragement of brain. Give the lads with ideas their heads a bit : let them develop their schemes, not shout them down the minute they begin to show us football off the beaten track. If I may be excused the personal note for moment, will give example of this pandering to the ordinary and the orthodox which occurred to me last season. You will remember that when the corner kick rule was altered the authorities seemed to leave it open for the player taking the corner to dribble. Well, I tried the dribble from the flag as an experiment. The referee in that particular game allowed me to do so, and 1 did it few times. Yet I was criticised for trying it : spectators wanted to see the corner-kick taken in the old way should not go so far as to say that the dribble from the corner-kick which I tried wasjbettcr than the old straight kick into goal, i But surely there could be no harm in giving 'the new idea a trial.

September 26,1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton have signed on an amateur form, the clever old Xaverians goalkeeper J. Morris. He kept goal for his school team and was captain of the college side last year: - twenty-one year of age, and standing 6 feet 1 inches, he is engaged in the veterinary department of the university.

September 26, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There are many attractive games to be played under Football League auspices today, with the fifty-first meeting between Liverpool and Everton as the outstanding game. The game at Anfield, which starts at 3-15, will draw a hugh crowd, and there should be a keen, clean, and exciting struggle for supremacy. As already pointed out in this column, Everton at one period monopolised the points in these games on the Liverpool ground, but the Anfielders in recent years have had the better of the argument. The clubs met for the first time in 1894-95 season, and prior to League football being stopped by the war, Everton had won ten times and lost on only two occasions. In post-war games at Anfield, however, Liverpool have four times been successful and lost once only, in six matches. The records of the clubs at Anfield are: - Played 25; Everton won 11, Liverpool won 6, drawn 8; goals Everton 36, Liverpool 31. The prospects today appear to favour Liverpool. The Anfielders will be at full strength, having the side that beat Manchester United a week ago by 5-0, while Everton are doubtful as to their goalkeeper, Kendall was injured on Monday, but it is hoped he will be able to turn out today. The side will not be cloven until this morning and if Kendall is fit again the team will probably be the same as at Birmingham. It should be a game in keeping with the high traditions of both clubs, and though anything may happen in a local “Derby” one inclines to the view that Liverpool will win by a narrow margin. The probable teams are: - Liverpool: - Scott; Lucas, Mckinlay; McNabb; Cockburn, Bromilow, Rawling, Walsh, Forshaw, Chalmers, Hopkins. Everton: - Kendall; Raitt, O'Donnell; Peacock, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, Troup.

September 28, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The first of the local “Derbys” games between Liverpool and Everton was decided at Anfield on Saturday, and resulted in an easy win for Liverpool by 5 goals to 1. The goal scored by Everton late on was the first Liverpool have conceded at Anfield during the present season. They might have yielded many more goals, however, had Everton taken the exceptionally easy chances that came their way. This, however, was Everton's great failing. They could not shoot accurately, and although the actual play did not reveal such a wide margin between the sides, there was a difference in finishing which fully justified the final score. As an exhibition the contest fell much below what was anticipated, chiefly because Liverpool scored easily and often. Instead of having to fight hard for their points, they had their progress to victory made exceptionally easy.

There were two periods in the game when Everton's faults were glaringly apparent and when they should have credited themselves with more than one easy goal. Faulty shooting prevented them gaining what their excellent work really entitled them to. Early on Chedgzoy missed an open goal, and in the second half Kennedy faltered and failed with openings that almost begged to be converted. On the other hand, Liverpool missed nothing. They took all their chances that fortune and their own sensible work provided and by their swift open tactics swept through the Everton defence like a March gale. Under the new laws much depends upon tactics and the side that is confident enough to set the pace and strong enough to maintain it usually scorers freely. It, was so on Saturday, when Liverpool put into operation the “W” formation, met with early success struck to their plans, and made it soon obvious that Everton had not the ghost of a chance of winning.

Everton's failure was all the more remarkable in view of the fact that the forwards were so splendidly supported by the half backs, the middle line was Everton's strongest link. No forwards could wish for better support than was offered by Peacock, McBain, and Hart, yet the attack was so obsessed by close and intricate movements as to become an easy prey to the rapier-like interception of McKinlay and Lucas. Insufficient use was made of Troup and Chedgzoy, and when they did get the ball they rarely had a clear field. Dean was hard working, but rarely effective, and both Kennedy and Irvine dribbled to excess and shot badly. Raitt and O'Donnell had a poor understanding. They were frequently caught too far apart, and showed little skill in dealing with Liverpool's fast wingers.

Harland made a surprise appearance in the Everton goal. It was his first outing since his injury early in the season. He made no real mistakes, although some of his clearances showed that he had not regained his old confidence. The Liverpool forwards were great opportunists. They kept the game open, passed judiciously, and never allowed a shooting chance to go abegging. Forshaw in spite of a damaged knee which handicapped his movements in the second half repeated his performance of the previous week by scoring three goals, which his general work was skilful and effective. Walsh and Chambers were excellent inside forwards. Crafty and clever, they both played a big part in Liverpool's success while Rawlings and Hopkin responded with fast and accurate runs that were difficult to check.

The Liverpool middle line was sound, but hardly as good as the Everton line. Bromilow was consistently good throughout the game, while Cockburn and McNabb were chiefly useful in defence. The combine play of Lucas and McKinlay was far in advance of that of the Everton backs. They tackled judiciously, and were a splendid pair. Scott was not overworked, but what he had to do he accomplished with confidence and skill.

Forshaw scored the first goal by heading through from a corner after six minutes play and Walsh following with a splendid single-handled effort at eighteen minutes, while Chambers added a third goal ten minutes before the interval. The fourth and fifth were scored by Forshaw and six minutes from the end Kennedy got Everton's only goal. Teams : - Liverpool: - Scott goal, Lucas, and McKinlay, backs, McNabb, Cockburn, and Bromilow, half-backs, Rawlings, Walsh, Forshaw, Chambers, and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards . The attendance was 55,000, and the receipts £3,033.

September 28, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison park. The home team were the more scientific but their shooting efforts were weak. Houghton and O'Neill both missed fine openings. The United were a very nippy lot, but Davies the home keeper made some clever saves. O'Neill opened the score for Everton, and Lees equalised. The teams started the second half on level terms, but neither side could gain the winning point, although the United failed in the last five minutes to convert a penalty taken by Harris, who shot ridiculously wide.


September 1925