Everton Independent Research Data


September 3 rd 1928. The Daily Courier
Everton regained that prestige which they lost when opposing the Wednesday last week in convincing fashion against Portsmouth at Goodison Park on Saturday. Without question they thoroughly deserved their four clear goals victory and the success was more gratifying by reason of the fact that the directors despite severe criticism by the ‘grumblers' section, decided to make no changes so early in the season. Let the grumblers –those people who always think they know so much and yet know very little –take note that the very players they were crying down, Ritchie, was one of the greatest successes of the game, and won his spurs for the Champions. “Dixie” Dean too, was a great success. He obtained another three goals as the result of his own enterprise and virility and the kindly help of his clever colleagues. His first two goals were perfect headers, and then Dunn, whom a section of the crowd have nicknamed “Tich,” served up one of the finest passes of the game when he back heeled the ball through the backs for “Dixie” to almost break the net. The fourth goal, to the great delight of the watches, was secured by the so successful Ritchie. He quickly picked up a loose ball that came off McPhails body after Dean had shot and placed it into the roof of the net.

So much for the all-important goals, and know to the general play. The brightest portion of this thoroughly rousing encounter –it was contested at a terrific pace despite the summer-like conditions –was the second half. The opening period was inclined to be patchy, with Pompey doing as much of the really telling work as the champions. The chief trouble was that the Blues were so eager to go on with the goal-scoring that the halves and the backs kept going into each other's way. It was the fault of the visitors entirely that they did not make the most of these opportunities, but each of their five forwards would wait that fatal second when favourably placed. This policy could only lead to one result failure, and the Blues' defence saw to it that this was so. What was the result after the change over? Why, the Goodison brigade played championship football from the resumption to the last kick. They ran the Portsmouth defence to a standstill and with any luck would have obtained more than the three goals they registered during this period. It must be said for the visitors that they never gave up hope, but kept pegging away in the face of adversity. They lacked a leader, however, who could profit by the numerous openings provided by the old Everton favourite –Bob Irvine –and the persistent forward on the right wing Weddle was lacking in many of the qualities which getoxards making a good leader.


Irvine was the best visiting forward, and one saw many of those intricate quickly-executed dribbles, which were a source of delight when he was at Goodison. Irvine was Pompey's prime initiator and it was not his fault that Davies was not beaten. The home vanguard was deadly. Few defences in the land could have stood up against so scientific and fast moving line. Hart was outstanding among the intermediates and Cresswell and O'Donnell operated in absolute unison and never gave an inch away. The Kings legs of Kelly and Virr were always in evidence and Davies made no error during a comparatively comfortable afternoon for him. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards. Portsmouth: - McPhails, goal, Clifford and McColgan, backs, Moffatt, Nichols, and Thackeray, half-backs, Forward, Smith, Weddle, Irvine, and Cook, forwards.



September 3 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.


Overwhelmed at Bolton, Everton were rarely given a look in, their forwards being well held, while the Merseyside rearguard were repeatedly at sea against open tactics which produced goals. Murphy dropped from the Wanderers first eleven claimed three, and Jack, Taylor, Mortimer and Boston the others. Everton's best efforts came from White, Critchley and Martin, but they were mostly from too long range against Pym. Everton: - Hardy goal, Common and Kennedy, backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Critchley, Jones, White, Martin and Stein, forwards .



September 4 th 1928. The Daily Courier.





Everton were without their new Scottish right wingers Ritchie and Dunn, owing to injury, Critchley and Martin deputising. Everton had a taste of the Wednesday's quality last week, when a point was taken away from Goodison Park and last night at Hillsborough, the dose of medicine was stronger. No one grudged the Sheffield team their success, for they were better balanced and quicker on the ball, and generally much keener than Everton. At the same time, however, there are those who will say that Everton contributed to their own undoing by a curious decision after winning the toss. Cresswell, with the choice of ends at his disposal, set his side to face the powerful, slanting rays of the sun, apparently losing sight of the fact that this sun would have set during the second half. The result was that instead of having the sun at their backs in the first half, and no sun in the second, Everton had to play into a blinding glare at the start of the game. There may have been a reason for this decision, but it certainly looked very much like a tactical error.


The Wednesday opened and established a goal lead in eight minutes. The goal arose as a result of a foul on the left wing touch line. The ball was swept into the centre, and Seed, though finding himself hampered by Cresswell, deftly turned the ball to one side, and drove it just inside the post, well out of the reach of Davies. Actually that was the only score, but there were frequently occasions when several goals might have come. For instance, Weldon was the unluckiest man in the world to see a great 20 yards drive strike the crossbar although Brown was in close attendance. The Wednesday had opportunities of increasing their lead, both Seed and Allen going dangerously near the great shots. The game fluctuated and was full of thrills. There can be no doubt, however, that Everton were largely demoralised as the results of the impotence of " Dixie” Dean, who was rendered completely innocuous. At Goodison Park last week, Kean, the Wednesday centre-half, exercised a complete strange-hold on the Everton marksman, and last night it was precisely the same. Never at any time was Dean able to send in a shot; in fact, it is not exaggerating to say that during the whole game he never once troubled Brown.


The result was that the spearhead of the attack was taken up by Weldon, who, in addition to hitting the crossbar, went close on several other occasions and played a fine constructive game right through. Cresswell, however, was the outstanding figure in the whole match. His clearances and tackling were magnificent while he hardly ever wasted a ball and kicked a magnificent length. Wilkinson had few opportunities against this brilliant full-back, who was so well supported by O'Donnell, always, a fearless defender, on the other wing. The Everton halves were not up to the usual standard, though Hart did his utmost to set Dean on the move. Troup was as full of tricks as usual, but was not too well supported, and it was left to Weldon to carry almost the full weight of the attack. Wednesday blended admirably, and contrived to infuse plenty of dash and speed into their constructive endeavours. Trotter, like Dean, had an “ off day,” but Seed and Hooper were admirable throughout. Teams: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Brown, goal, Walker and Blenkinsopp, backs, Strange, Kean, and Marsden, half-backs, Hooper, Seed, Trotter, Hill, and Rimmer, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards.

E Taylor
Hull Daily Mail-Saturday 8 September 1928
E. Taylor, the English international goalkeeper, of Everton, on Friday signed for the Ashton National Club, members of the Cheshire League, and was expected to play against Nantwich to-day. Formerly with Oldham Athletic and "Huddersfield 'Town. Taylor represented England against Scotland "1923, 1924. and 1926; against Wales 1923, and against Ireland in 1923 and 1924. also assisted his country against Belgium in 1923 and against France in the following season.

Fife Free Press & Kirkcaldy Guardian -Saturday 08 September 1928
On Saturday, Mr. Geo. Wilson, former manager of Raith Rovers, left Kirkcaldy for Vancouver to take up again the position he held some time ago with the Ninon Oil Company.  Wilson was a well-known personality in Scottish football, in which he had a notable career. Lochgelly was his first senior club, and when he went to Cowdenbeath, he was accompanied by his brother, David. His next engagement was with Hearts, and during his service Tynecastle, he was capped for Scotland.  He then went Everton, and from there to Ireland, where he played for Belfast Distillery. Wilson returned to England, and played with Newcastle, with whom he secured an English Cup badge. On returning to Scotland, he had a turn with Raith Rovers, and assisted East Fife to win the Qualifying Cup. Wilson then went to Canada, and shortly after his return, which was necessitated the illness of his wife, he was appointed manager of Raith Rovers, a position which he relinquished prior to the appointment of Wm. Birrell.  When in Canada he was attached to the St Andrew’s Club in Vancouver, and he expects to resume his football activities with that club. On the occasion of his departure from Kirkcaldy, Wilson entertained a large party from Raith Rovers.

Dundee Courier - Saturday 08 September 1928
Dundee's New Goalkeeper
E. Taylor, the English international goalkeeper of ' Everton, yesterday signed for Ashton National Club of Ashton-Under- Lyne, members of the Cheshire County League. Formerly with Oldham Athletic and Huddersfield Town, Taylor represented England against Scotland in 1923, 1924, and 1926; against Wales in 1923; and against Ireland in 1923 and 1924. He also assisted his country against Belgium in 1923, and against France in the following season.

Athletic News - Monday 10 September 1928
Birmingham City 1, Everton 3
Birmingham Miss Their Chances
By Brum.
There could be no doubting the skill of the Everton combination T St. Andrew’s.  They were a real team, and they played real football.  In the opening half they were in no sense superior to their rivals save that there was possibly rather more polish about their football, but Birmingham were the side that had openings and they should have had a lead at the interval, but from that point onwards they were a beaten side.  In the first minute, Dunn got in a shot which Liddell deflected into his own net, and four minutes later Dean ran down, swerved to the side, and then got in an oblique shot which Tremelling could follow with his eyes but not with his hands.  The third came from Critchley, but it was Dean’s genius that provided the chance which Critchley took so aptly.  Dean made a strong run but was baffled in his attempt to find an opening and made a long pass to his wing man, and Critchley made full use of a timely and far-seeing pass. 
Bradford Missed
Then Briggs ran down and scored and there the telling worked ended.  Birmingham were seriously handicapped by the absence of Bradford, who is suffering from a sore toe.  He will soon be in the side, but it was deemed prudent to without him from this game.  There seemed to be a frace of irresolution about the forward play, and the shooting was feeble.  There was little of the clear-cut passing that Everton consistently showed.  The defence was not amiss.  Barton was decidedly clever at centre-half, and Leslie did good work, while Randle was dogged in everything he attempted and Tremelling did all that a custodian could be expected to do.  Everton gave some delightful football.  The two wing pairs, Critchley and Dunn and Troup and Weldon were always well together, even during the opening half, when goals were not in evidence.  There was a polish about their play which appealed to every good judge of the game, and there was the watchful and trustful Dean ever ready to take advantage of any slip on the part of the opposing defence.  Critchley played a very fine game, Troup had a genius for getting the ball into the centre, too, and there was a thorough understanding between all the constituent parts of the team.  But Dean was the man the crowd came to watch and he did enough to sustain his unique reputation.  Hart and his colleagues were strong and ever ready to support their forwards, and Cresswell gave a wonderful display.  He seemed able to repress.  He seemed able to repress any Birmingham attack single-handed.  It was a thoroughly sporting game and excellently referred.  Birmingham; Tremelling; Liddell, Randles; Cringan, Barton, Leslie; Bond, Crosbie, Briggs, Firth, and Elliss.  Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O’Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr, Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup.  Referee. S.B. Watson, Nottingham. 

September 10 th 1928. The Daily Courier.
There is an old adage which refers to “ twice better off is he who gets his blow in first,” but when your opponent put that blow in for you, so much the better. This was precisely what happened as St. Andrews, Birmingham, on Saturday, when Everton wiped away the bitterness of their defeats by the Wednesday by defeating Birmingham by three goals to one. Birmingham a lively enterprising eleven, were the more potent side in the opening half, when the Champions played well as individuals but failed to live up to their reputation as a collective force. It was a few seconds past the first minute of the second season that the Midlanders landed the blow, which counted, to Everton as their first. In endeavouring to lob the ball across to Dean, Dunn played a little too forward, and Liddell and Tremelling, both went to clear. Liddell's head was there first, but he only sliced the ball, and it dropped backwards into the net with the goalkeeper waiting under Liddle's back to clear. This grit goal not only placed the Champions in front, but it resulted directly in a complete change in their play.

When the renowned Dean added a second goal four minutes later all the heart went out of the homeside. It was a splendid shot, which gained the goal, for no matter which way Tremelling threw himself he could not possibly have stopped it. Placing, and not pace, did the track. The third Everton point was also well engineered and obtained, Critchley racing in at top speed to ram home Dean's well-judged cross. Birmingham obtained a consolation goal a minute after Briggs –a cute player –quickly snapping up a short pass from Firth and giving Davies no chance. The Midlanders had the better of the argument in the opening half, but even then they never once had the full measure of their opponents. The Everton defence came out of a trying ordeal splendidly, the intermediates falling back whenever danger threatened to gave Cresswell and O'Donnell a helping hand. The backs too, worked bravely and well. Taking the match all through the Champions were good value for their win and the Birmingham people themselves were only too ready to admit this fact. Davies had not as much work to do as Tremelling, but he played brilliantly and never placed a wrong hand forward. Two of his saves were marvellous ones. The backs again did well, the dash and resource of O'Donnell, and the wonderful anticipation and clean kicking of Cresswell making up the ideal pair.


Hunter Hart was the outstanding figure in the middle line while Virr was more than a match for the clever Bond-Crosbie wing. Kelly too, performed with credit, although his immediate opposition was not so strong as that of the other flanks, even while accounting for the fact that Firth made a capable substitute for the injured Bradford. The forwards all did well, although the best of them was not seen until the game was half gone. Dean missed two good chances right at the start, but in the second half he more than made up for these lapses, despite having received a blow on the leg. He gave Barton and Co. no rest, and this enabled the scheming Dunn and Weldon to put their delicate ideas into operation with perfection. Critchley did exceedingly well on the right and Troup was ever a thorn in the side of Cringan and Liddell. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Liddell, and Randle, backs, Cringan, Barton and Leslie, half-backs, Bond, Crosbie, Briggs, Firth, and Ellis, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr, half-backs, Crirtchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards.



September 10 th 1928. The Daily Courier


Everton were fully entitled to their success, but the visitors were badly handicapped through an injury to Morfit, which compelled his retirement after 15 minutes. There was an abundance of good shooting in the game, but both goalkeepers emerged with honours. White, the Everton centre, however, had a poor day. Stein also shot over the bar from a penalty. The winger, however, retrieved his miss by scoring two fine goals in the second half. Forshaw also finding the net twice. Cooper scored Birmingham's point. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy (captain), backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Forshaw, White, Martin and Stein, forwards .



September 13 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Everton Reserves beat Derby County in the Central League at Goodison Park yesterday much more easily than the score indicates. Hampton, the Derby County goalkeeper, gave one of his best displays seen on the ground this season. He saved a penalty taken by Forshaw and given for a foul on White, though he was damaged in doing so. He could use only one hand after this, yet he defied all except Griffiths and Forshaw, who scored near the interval, who obtained the ball after it had come back from a corner, sent it like a rocket into the net. The game was a clean one yet there were a number of accidents besides that to the goalkeeper, Meston kicked in the face, Nicholas having his leg damaged, while Forshaw twisted his knee again and retired near the end. For the winners Common, Kennedy, Bain, Martin and Forshaw, while Derby were best represented by Ruddy, Fereday and the goalkeeper.

Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy (captain), backs, Bain, Griffiths, and Rooney, half-backs, Meston, Forshaw, White, Martin, and Stein, forwards.



September 17 th 1928. The Daily Courier.






Everton were shown in their game with Manchester City not to be invincible, and they certainly had their wings clipped. The great defeat will be a blessing in disguise if certain faults are rectified in the future. Everton made a mistake in playing a close game against such a fast, tearing side as Manchester City proved to be. Having allowed zealous Manchester to get on top, they were quite unable to turn the fortunes of the day. It was, of course, a relapse, and not collapse, with Everton, but they will have to remember that other clubs are out to spoil their playing reputation, and Everton will have to put in all they know in upsetting this ideal. With so many class men in the side, it would be a pity if Everton developed the one-man scheme. Dean is a player who will go until he drops, and is a great asset, but he was in the grip of the Manchester defence, and although he played a rugged game, and did not forget to use his weight, he could seldom find a loophole.


Cowan particularly, took care of him, and the ex-Doncaster man seemed to enjoyed the experience. Dean's policy of lying well up the field did not pay on this occasion, seeing the position Dean found in, it was not a good plan of the inside men to keep supplying him with the ball when they might have made better use of it themselves. Troup was the most consistent of the Everton forward line, and it was gratifying to give him a good word as he is not a player on whom the limelight falls. Weldon made quite a good show in the first half putting dash and fire into the attack, but he faded out somewhat in the later stages. When he secured his surprise goal in the first two minutes no one imaged Manchester were going to reap such harvest. Some time after that the humiliation of Everton began. It is many a long day since the foundations of Goodison Park received such a shock –not since Crystal Palace beat Everton 6-0 in a Cup-tie –and it was with a feeling of relief that the final whistle went for only that or an earth Quake, it seemed could have prevented Manchester adding to the register.


Manchester's danger man was Tommy Johnson, who had been moved to the centre-forward position, Tilson going outside-left. Johnson scored five goals (one from a penalty kick , O'Donnell handling-Liverpool Post and Mercury) –a remarkable feat –three of them in the second half. Apart from Hart and Virr he found the Everton defence decidedly below par, a notable instance being the mistakes of O'Donnell when Johnson scored the sixth goal for Manchester. Johnson is one of the long-service members of the club, but he is not an old player, for he was only 17 when he joined Manchester City in 1919 from the Walton Casuals club. The Critchley and Dunn wing was watched with interest, and although Critchley's turn of speed is invaluable the pair found McMullan and McCloy rather more than they could manage at times. Dunn goal towards the close of the second half was certainly that of an opportunist, for he promptly returned the ball from Gray's first clearance. Although Davies had a busy time picking the ball out of the net he cannot be blamed. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Manchester City: - Gary, goal, Ridley and McCloy, backs, Barrass, Cowan, and McMullan, half-backs, Austin, Marshall, Johnson, Tilson and Brook, forwards.



September 17 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


The first half at the Hawthorns was devoid of goals, but the Albion scored surprisingly half a minute after the resumption. Cookson netting Edwards added the other two, the last following a clever individual effort. A feature of the game was the deplorable weakness of all the forwards in front of goal. Pearson played a great game in the Albion goal, and, for Everton, Griffiths effectively shadowed Cookson.



September 19 th 1928. The Daily Courier.

E.A. Clough, a former member of the Schoolboy's team, who played amateur form last season, has signed a professional form for Everton, Clough who is from the Zingari League team, is 18 years of age, 5ft 8ins; and plays at outside-left.



September 19 th 1928. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

What are Everton, s chances at Huddersfield ? The student of “form” will perhaps fear another avalanche for Everton lost 6 goals last Saturday which Huddersfield town was placing six into their opponent's net. Both sides will be short of outstanding players, the Yorkshire side minus Wilson and Everton lacking the services of dean. These players are engaged in the football league eleven to oppose the Irish league at Belfast. To take dean's place, Everton have decided to rely on Forshaw, the clever and experienced forward, who has done well as a leader and in the inside and half-back positions for Liverpool. Later his place was almost solely continued to the inside-right berth at Goodison Park, but he was unlucky towards the end of the campaign and had a cartridge removed from his knee. He is now fit again and has been doing well with the reserves as a forward and at half-back…meanwhile Webster a local player from the ‘'A'' team will make his debut for the reserves on Saturday against Manchester City Reserves at Goodison park



September 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier.





Everton were fortunate to be only one goal in arrears in their match at Huddersfield. For the amount of pressure they exerted and the easy chances that presented themselves, Huddersfield ought to have led by three of four goals. Brown missed several good openings by inaccurate shooting. Huddersfield maintained their recent improvement, although never coming up to their championship form. Their forwards were clever and speedy in midfield their one weakness being a lack of steadiness in front of goal. The response of the Everton forwards was feeble –at least in the first half. In the absence of Dean they never settled down. They never gained confidence until it was too late. So much reliance is placed on Dean as a goal-scorer that Dick Forshaw, who took his place at centre-forward, was never equal to the demands made on him. He was quite incapable of accepting those passes down the centre and centres had high that are so much to the linking of Dean, and the men on either side of him were equally incapable of finding the net.


Dunn made one good effort, his shot hitting the cross-bar. Forshaw only once looked like scoring, and that was when Barkas muddled a clearance kick. Forshaw had only the goal-keeper to beat, and after steadying himself himself for his shot he placed straight into the hands of Turner. Kelly scored Huddersfield's first goal after sixteen minutes' play, and shortly afterwards they were awarded a penalty kick through O'Donnell handling. This was taken by Goodal, who shot wide of the goal –an unusual thing for Goodall. Everton livened up considerably, in the second half, and although Critchley was limping badly he put in several accurate centres. After Brown had added a second goal for Huddersfield, following smart work by Jackson, Troup scored from a well-placed forward pass by Kelly. For the next quarter of an hour Everton attacked almost continuously, but their smart work in midfield was not backed up by incisiveness in front of goal. It was all against the run of the play that Smith scored for Huddersfield from another centre by Jackson five minutes from the end.


As already mentioned Forshaw proved a poor substitute for Dean, and the game served to show that while Dunn and Weldon may provide openings for Dean they are in no sense goal-scorers themselves. Both Critchley and Troup on the wing were always the more likely to find the net than the inside man. Huddersfield are not go so capable as at the beginning of last season. Virr and Kelly played well for Everton, but the Everton backs were not at their best. Davies made many splendid saves, especially in dealing with high balls but he conceded a large number of corner kicks. Whereas last season Everton visit to Huddersfield attracted a gate of 50,000 the spectators only numbering 24,000 on Saturday. Teams : - Huddersfield Town: - Turner, goal, Goodall and Barkas, backs, Steele, Spence, and Evans, half-backs, Jackson, Kelly, Brown, Stephenson, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, Forshaw, Weldon, and Troup, forwards.



September 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


The Irish League once more disappointed at Belfast, Dean of Everton, was brilliant in the Football League team but not outstanding, such was the great talent displayed by the visitors generally. Dean opened the scoring in 14 minutes, and ten minutes before half-time Johnson missed scoring from a penalty. After hard pressure Dean obtained the visitors second after the cross over.



September 24 th 1928. The Daily Courier


There was a period during the early stages when Manchester displayed bright football. Their effectiveness waned, however, after Ritchie had given Everton the lead with a fine cross shot, and afterwards they were overwhelmed by a side without a weak spot. French between two good wings, was a dashing centre, and he found the net on four occasions, Easton added a sixth and Ritchie a seventh goal. Ritchie played a splendid game. In addition to scoring twice his centres were of beautiful length. Stein was also a good winger, Easton and Webster the latter, like French being an “A” team product, completing a fine line. Griffiths did well at right half, and Bain, with Common formed an effective cover for Hardy. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and Kennedy (captain), backs, Griffiths, Bain and Rooney, half-backs, Ritchie, Webster, French, Easton, and Stein, forwards.



September 26 th 1928. The Daily Courier.



Harry Ritchie, the ex-Hibernian winger, returns to the outside-right position in the Everton team to play Liverpool in the great “Derby” match at Goodison Park on Saturday. Ritchie had been absent from the champion's side for three weeks, his place meanwhile having been taking by Critchley. The ex-Hibernian was subjected to some criticism by spectators in his early appearances for Everton, but he vindicated himself in no uncertain fashion by giving a great display against Portsmouth at Goodison Park on September 1 st . It was in this match that he received the injury, which has kept him out of the first team as well, Everton will be at full strength for the game, which begins at 3-15. Team, Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup. The Everton Reserves team to meet Stoke at Stoke in the Central League will be, Hardy; Common, Bain; Griffiths, Forshaw, Rooney; Meston, Webster, French, Easton, and Stein.


September 1928