Everton Independent Research Data


September 2, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will not know their exact team to meet Blackburn Rovers at Goodison until just before the match but Lawton, T.G. Jones and Mercer are reasonably certain. The chief doubt relates to Greenhalgh through injury, and Bentham, while Blackpool have first call on Sam Jones if they need him. The team will be chosen from; Burnett; Jackson, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Jones (S.), Steele; Smith (A.), Bentham, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton “A” (v. St. Teresa’s)- Birkett; Woodcock, Curwen; Morley, McDonnell, Ridgway; Lowe, Grant, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Lyon (or Higgins).
The Colts side resume last Saturday’s tussle with Tranmere Colts at Prenton, the side being; Mulman; Durham, Lever; Barrett, Rees, Doyle, Linaker, Wainwright, Casey, Flood, Makin.
Blackburn Rovers will field a strong side making some changes from that which was defeated at Ewood Park. Robertson; (Preston North End) is introduced in place of Anderson and newcomer’s in the forward line are Butt (or Bibby) and Guest. Bibby is a local junior who is having a try out. Blackburn; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Robertson; Wharton, Butt (or Bibby), Dougal, Pearson and Guest.

September 3, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It will be “international parade” at Goodison Park tomorrow, when Everton open their home Football League programme with an outstanding attraction –Blackburn Rovers, champions of the Second Division in 1938-39, provide the opposition against the 1938-39 First Division champions. There will be no fewer than ten internationals on view at Goodison Park, and as many as twelve players who were regular members of those 1939 championship teams. This should ensure a football treat, and I think that attendances will top 20,000. Mention of attendances remind me that admission to the ground is now 1s, 6d-Forces (in uniform) and boys 7d –and the stands 2s, 9d. Let me say at once that I expect Everton to win and confirm the Ewood Park form, the Blues won 3-1 in convincing style. Granted that the Rovers will have out a strengthened side –Len Butt’s return will make a lot of difference –but Everton, too, will be stronger, for Joe Mercer returns for one of his tri-weekly games –and Joe is an attraction in himself. Altogether Everton’s eight internationals will be Tommy Jones, now the captain of the side and a good one, Mercer, Lawton, Stevenson, Jackson, Jack Jones, Sam Jones, and Mutch. The Rovers “caps” are Pryde and Jimmy Dougal. It will be the first time the Parkites have seen Sam Jones and Andrew Smith, two new “Guest” players wearing the Blues jersey. Jones is the Blackpool player who is an Ireland “regular” and who did so well last week, and Smith is the Hamilton Academicals forward, who will partner fellow Scot Mutch if Stan Bentham is unable to get away. The only other “guest” will be Jimmy McIntosh of Preston who started with a goal last week to help along Tommy Lawton’s two. The power of Everton’s defence, centred around Tom Jones, and the skill and penetrative power of the forwards should ensure Everton chalking up another win in a game worth going a long way to see, and which starts at three o’clock. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack), Mercer, Jones (Tom), Jones (Sam); Smith, Bentham or Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Blackburn Rovers; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Robertson; Wharton, Butt (or Bibby), Dougal, Pearson, Guest.

September 3, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, opening their home programme with a visit from Blackburn, ought to repeat at Goodison what they did at Ewood, and should complete the double. Reports from those who saw the game at Blackburn say that the Blues won there without unduly exerting themselves. I hope the ease with which they won will not lure Everton into that nonchalant frame of mind which was so often their undoing last season. The time to take things easily is when the goals are “in the bag” and even then it isn’t always safe, as Everton occasionally discovered –not when they have still to be scored. With Lawton and T.G. Jones likely to be available more regularly I look to the Blues to do much better this season than last, and to provide us with both play and results in keeping with their traditions. I don’t think we shall be disappointed. There are some ifs and buts about tomorrow’s side, but whatever its final composition this should be a good game, with a big crowd to signalise the opening of the Goodison programme. Teams from;- Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack), Mercer, Jones (Tom), Jones (Sam); Smith, Bentham or Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Blackburn Rovers; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Robertson; Wharton, Butt (or Bibby), Dougal, Pearson, Guest.

September 4, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Conway’s Fine Saves For Blackburn
By Ranger.
Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E.), backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Smith (Hamilton), Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Blackburn Rovers;- Conway, goal; Forbes and Crook (captain), backs; Whiteside, Pryde, and Robertson (Preston), half-backs; Wharton (Preston), Bibby, Dougal, Webster and Pearson (Newcastle), forwards. Referee; Mr. C.P. Womersley. About 12,000 looked on at the start of Everton’s first home game of the season, and got a chance to shout when McIntosh went near with a grand header from smith’s centre. A neat Stevenson header ad a canny Lawton dribble were the next items of note though they failed to bring any tangible reward, and then came Blackburn’s first effort when Burnett safely caught a rising shot by Bibby. Everton were doing plenty of attacking in well-balanced manner, whereas Rovers efforts so far had been confined to lightning dashes by Pearson and Dougal. Burnett came to the rescue when Pearson once got clear of the defence and dashed out to clear when Dougal likewise was making tracks for goal with no one else to beat. Lawton was distributing the ball splendidly from wing to wing, but missed one chance when he slipped after trickily beating Pryde. Conway made three brilliant saves, one from Lawton and two from Stevenson.
Half-time; Everton nil, Blackburn Rovers nil.
Everton after a promising start, had found Rovers improving, and when the second half began the visitors were definitely on top for the first fifteen minutes or so, when Burnett and Jones (T.E) several times came to Everton’s rescue. When Everton forced a corner Jones (T.G.) went up again, and put in a terrible drive which only just failed to reach the mark. On the whole the defences were coming out with the most credit on both sides. Everton reasserted pressure, and Conway, Pryde, and company were kept at full strength for some time. Conway making a number of good saves –none better than one from a Lawton shot on the half-turn. Rovers almost snatched a grit goal when a long clearance from the visiting goal gave Pearson a chance, but Burnett saved. It was a rousing finish, and both goals had narrow escapes. Final; Everton nil, Blackburn Rovers nil.

September 4, 1943. The Evening Express
Goalless Game at Goodison
By Pilot.
Everton fielded seven internationals for their Football League match against Blackburn Rovers at Goodison Park today. Bentham being at inside-right in place of Mutch. There were five of the 1939 championship side, while Smith, of Hamilton, and Sam Jones, of Blackpool, made their first appearances at Goodison in the Everton colours. The Rovers had Webster at inside left, with Pearson, of Newcastle, on the wing. Mr. Theo Kelly brought back some of the pre-war atmosphere by the reintroduction of pre match music and team announcements over the microphone. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E.), backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Smith (Hamilton), Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Blackburn Rovers;- Conway, goal; Forbes and Crook (captain), backs; Whiteside, Pryde, and Robertson (Preston), half-backs; Wharton (Preston), Bibby, Dougal, Webster and Pearson (Newcastle United), forwards. Referee; Mr. C.P. Womersley. Smith was early prominent, and Stevenson ran over to lend him aid, but Conway ran out to pick up, and when Stevenson went through again Conway was once more quick to leave his charge. The Rovers had opened with a close-up free kick which Pryde sent behind, and then Everton had taken command. Smith broke away again to cross a nice ball which McIntosh headed inches over the top. Play swung to the left, where McIntosh twice became dangerous and then Forbes and Pryde between them blotted out “Mac” as he once more tried to go through. The Rovers gained two more close-up free kicks, but each time Tommy Jones was there to prevent danger.
Conway’s Saves.
Stevenson carved out a pass for Lawton to shoot by the near post, and when McIntosh swung a centre in Conway fisted away. The ball ran to Stevenson who shot instantly, but Conway dived to save before Lawton could turn the ball through. Three times “quicksilver” Dougal almost broke through, but each time he was pulled up by brilliant Tom Jones’ tackles. Lawton’s far flung pass found Smith alert, and from the centre Lawton headed inches wide. Nippy work by the Rovers’ half back’s kept Everton in check for a spell, but then McIntosh drove in a shot which came back off Conway’s chest, and when Bentham shot quickly, Conway saved coolly with his foot. Mercer, helped by Lawton, tried a break through, before the Everton defence was caught wide open and Dougal slipped past Tommy Jones like lightning. The enterprising Jackson, who just before had held up Robertson, came streaking across to trouble Dougal sufficiently to force the leader to shoot wide.
Plenty of Thrills
The match was producing much good football and plenty of thrills and after a fine individual effort by Lawton had broken down because of the pace on the ball, Conway sprang out to make a grand save from Smith’s corner. Everton were having more of the game but found the Rovers’ defence covering magnificently, so that shooting openings were rare. Everton had a narrow escape when Dougal got their defence guessing to force a corner from which Bibby was only inches too high. The Rovers’ escape in the next minute was even more sensational, for although Bentham was fouled, he managed to get the ball to Stevenson who whipped in a first timer which Conway saved in grand style. Lawton promptly headed in, but Conway dived to turn the ball aside. Encouraged by their good defensive work, the Rovers came into the attacking limelight, and but for the good tackling of Tom and Sam Jones, and perfect covering by the backs. Burnett would have had anxious moments.
Half-time; Everton 0, Blackburn 0.
The Rovers restarted magnificently, their forwards being much more together than in the first half. Bibby had a shot charged down before Stevenson ran through only to place outside. The Rovers were quick on the ball and strong in their tackling, and Burnett did well to save at close range from Pearson. Burnett had to run out and conceded a corner, but there was to pull down the ball as Dougal was leaping through. Gradually the Blues got on top again and McIntosh had two fine cross shots charged down, before Conway fisted away from the head of Lawton.
Pressure Maintained.
Everton kept up the pressure and again Conway fisted away, and when Lawton got the defence out of position Mercer slipped through, but with only Conway to beat placed the wrong side of the post. Everton missed some good opportunities. McIntosh was full of confidence on the left wing, and one fine shot flashed across the face of the goal. Lawton wheeled around Pryde to take a shot on the volley, but Conway was right in position to turn it over the top. Dougal broke clear, but Burnett came to the edge of the penalty area to save. Conways just managed to turn a shot from Stevenson round the post as Everton piled on the pressure. Burnett made a grand save from Dougal, and just before the end Jack Jones went off. Final; Everton 0, Blackburn Rovers 0.

September 6, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 0, Blackburn Rovers 0.
Defences On Top
By Ranger.
Though the 12,000 spectators at the Everton v. Blackburn Rovers game at Goodison Park had no goals over which to enthuse, they saw plenty of good football, and some brilliant defensive work. While the respective rearguards were on top throughout they always had to fight hard to maintain their mastery over quick and clever forwards. Everton were the more artistic side, and in attack were better balanced than their opponents, despite a weakness on the right. But they came up against intrepid halves and backs, whose quick tackling and covering up nullified most of the Everton’s moves. Even so the home attack produce plenty of shots of good strength and direction, only to find Conway an impregnable barrier. Conway is an unorthodox goalkeeper, with little pretensions to style. But that makes no difference in the quality of his work. Time and again he raised the crowd to enthusiasm by his magnificent saves. Blackburn relied mainly on lightning dashes by Dougal and Pearson to provide the backbone of their attacks, and these two certainly gave the home defence many anxious moments. Everton’s defence in the first half was sometimes too open for comfort due chiefly to Mercer’s penchant for being a sixth forward, which left Jackson frequently shouldering a heavy burden when play was transferred quickly to the home end.
Mercer’s Effort
Mercer was at his best in the last half-hour when Everton kept hammering away at the Rovers defence and Mercer almost snatched a victory on his own. Do what they could, however, Everton were unable to make any impression and though Lawton fed his wings well in an endeavour to find a loophole it made no difference. Blackburn were solid from stem to stern. Both sides were well served in almost every position. The three Jones were stalwarts in the home defence, but T.G. Jones for once was not allowed to amble through the game in his usual nonchalant fashion. Burnett was at his best though he had nothing like the work to do that Conway had, and Stevenson, Lawton, and McIntosh were the pick of the attack. Blackburn’s defence was of fine all-round equality. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E.), backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Smith (Hamilton), Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Blackburn Rovers;- Conway, goal; Forbes and Crook (captain), backs; Whiteside, Pryde, and Robertson (Preston), half-backs; Wharton (Preston), Bibby, Dougal, Webster and Pearson (Newcastle United), forwards. Referee; Mr. C.P. Womersley.
• Liverpool lost 2-1 to Manchester City, Hanson for Liverpool and Williamson and Boothway for Man City.

September 6, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Conway was the man mainly responsible for Blackburn gaining a point at Goodison Park. While appreciating the grand work of Bob Pryde and his fellow defenders. It was primarily he skill and courage –yes, and a wee bit of luck –of Conway which defied the Everton forwards. It speaks volumes for the quality of the football provided that everyone went home content despite the absence of a goal thrill. There is no gainsaying that Everton should have won and won well. The Blues were in the ascendant for quite two thirds of the game, and while they had shotless periods when they did bang away at goal Conway seemed magical. The Conway masterpieces were a flying save from Stevenson early on, and then a quick tip over from a Lawton “rocket” in the second half. This was the finest shot of the match, but Conway was lucky that he was right in line. I recall too, that Conway was right in line of a McIntosh drive in the first half which rebounded off his chest. Still that does not detract from the merit of Conway work. Burnett by comparison had an easy afternoon, but I was pleased with the keener judgement George showed in coming out. Apart from one Sagar-like leap and catch, Burnett came to the edge of the penalty area to save a certain Dougal goal. Everton might have shot more often, for at times they tried to make too sure and he attempting the extra pass played into the hands of an intrepid defence. Speed to possession was the outstanding virtue of the Rovers, and it was the right game against the more classic and exact Everton.
Brilliant Jackson
Only for a short spell immediately after the interval did the Rovers really show up as an attacking force. Dougal was persistence itself and had a rare tussle with Tommy Jones. Pearson was a danger man to Everton but he was up against the best man on the field George Jackson. Jackson was positively brilliant, never once butting a foot wrong and with Jackie Jones the complete partner this was a happy due operating behind a half-back line of such sheer ability that the Rovers attack rarely operated as a line. Tommy Jones through worried by Dougal, was always neatness personified; Sam Jones was a prodigious worker and Mercer had a brilliant second half. Lawton will know Bob Pryde when they meet again for Bob never left Tom’s side for a second. Yet Lawton had a good game and received fine backing from the whimsical Stevenson, the forceful quick-shooting McIntosh and the foraging Bentham. The American-born Andy Smith from Hamilton although he had the academic touches, did not produce the speed that was necessary. The display of the Blues attack, however, augurs well. Mr. Will Gibbins, the Everton chairman now fully recovered, I am pleased to say, from his indisposition was at the head of the “reception committee” to 12,000 odd spectators, and was supported by Messrs Ernest Green, George Evans, Bob Turnbull, Dickie Williams, and Dick Searle and Dr. Cecil Baxter (directors). The expert hand of Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly could be seen in the arrangements, and I welcomed the return of pre-match and interval music, and the announcement of team changes over the “mike.” These things all add to the enjoyment. And before we leave Goodison let me give a pat on the back to Chief Groundsman Mr. Ted Storey for the picture appearance of the ground; make mention that Cyril Webster pre-war inspiration of the Reserves, and Tommy Fleetwood, now looking fit as a fiddle were present, and that tomorrow evening the mid-week fans have a rare chance of seeing the Blues Reserves in action at the Park. This will be a Liverpool County Combination match with Napier, starting at 6.30 p.m. and the Everton team will be; Birkett; Woodcock, Lever; Morley, McDonnell, Grenfell; Lowe, Wainwright, Wyles, Grant, Makin.

September 6, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The one reliable thing about football form is its perennial unreliability, which, if anything has been accentuated by war-time’s wholesale team shuffling. The Liverton opening doubles, for instance which looked so promising on paper on Friday failed to materialise and Everton could not do at home what they had achieved away. True, they were a trifle unlucky not to pull it off against Blackburn Rovers. Their failure was due partly to the dogged defence of the visitors’ halves and backs, but mainly to the marvellous goalkeeping of Conway, who time and again stood between his side and a deficit. On the other hand, Blackburn also could have counted themselves unfortunate had they been beaten, and a draw was an quitable result. For the first quarter of an hour it looked as though Everton were going to win fairly comfortable, but once the visitors settled down they gave Roland for each of Everton’s Olivers, and though the Blues dominated matters in the closing stages, Rovers deserved a point for the excellence of their defence. Everton were the more stylish side, some of their combination at times being brilliant, though interspersed with this were periods when they fell to a much lower standard. Do what they would, however, they could make little impression on Blackburn’s sour defenders whose tireless energy and intrepid tackling cut up all Everton’s well-laid plans. Everton’s attack was the better balanced of the two, despite a weakness on the extreme right, for Blackburn’s thrusts mainly resolved around Dougal and Pearson’s lightning dashes. How dangerous these two were was evident from the way in which T.G. Jones pulled up his socks and waded in anything but his usual sedate and nonchalant fashion. Mercer, following his bent for attack, worked hard, helping his forwards, but these tactics frequently throw a heavy stain on the defence when play was quickly switched to the other end, and it was well for Everton that Jackson and Jones (J.E.) were as reliable as they were, and the two other Joneses –T.G. and Sam –were sound in their covering-up. Had it been otherwise, the tale might have been different. Burnett, also was excellent, though he had not as much to do as Conway. Blackburn’s goalkeeper was the hero of the day. He has a queer style perhaps it would be more accurate to say he had no style at all –but he gets there just the same and by popping out the flat of his foot or sticking out a knee, he saved just as confidently as by more orthodox methods. Stevenson, Lawton, and McIntosh were the mainstay of Everton’s attack, and though Lawton got little change out of Pryde, who played a grand game throughout he had several near misses, and swung the ball out nicely to either wing when he found the middle well held by a stonewaller. It was a game full of incident and thrills and Everton will win many a match in future with less effort than it took them to draw this one.

September 8, 1943. The Evening Express
Everton Reserves 8, Napier 0
Pilot’s Log
I went along to Goodison Park last night to see Everton reserves upon their Liverpool County combination programme, with Napiers providing the opposition, and was impressed by the skill and the promise of the young players, Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has discovered. Everton won comfortably 8-0, but it was more the manner of their victory than the win itself which took the eye. Led by the experienced Cecil Wyles, who got four goals, the Everton forwards proved much too strong for Napier’s who are in process of building up a new team in which young players are being given away opportunity. Makin and Wainwright scintillated in the Everton attack, Makin getting three goals and Wainwright one. Both these boys should do well, and Wainwright, who comes from Southport, is finely built and forceful. Makin lacks nothing in confidence and is deadly in front of the goal, McDonnell impressed me as a centre-half well above the ordinary, while lads in their early teens like Morley, Grenfell, Lever and Woodcock proved that they have what it takes. Prince was sound in goal, while Lowe, the Haydock lad, at outside right, did some fine work, despite the fact that he got up front from a sick bed to play. Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins and directors Messers Ernie Green and Dick Searle were delighted with the showing of their stars of the future, and it was good to see some of the first team players present to give the boys encouragement. Napier’s lacked the Everton understanding, but they have a number of youngsters who should well reward the building-up effort of Messrs Samllies and Pearce, who are handling the affairs of the club so enthusically. In Keelan, Napier had a grand goalkeeper and but for his efforts Everton must have won by a bigger margin. One save from Wainwright was a masterpiece. Schumacher, the Joliffe brothers and Mangan and Cheerly were others who took the eye in a side which is certain to settle down into a useful combination.

September 9, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
English Amateur International
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, who are away to Manchester United on Saturday, will probably have a newcomer in their attack in T.H. Leek, the English amateur international. Leek, who is in the R.A.F, was associated with Moor Green, the well-known Midlands amateur side, and the Corinthians in pre-war days, and played for England on nine occasions. I remember seeing him in the England side which beat Wales 8-2 at Rhyl some six years ago, when he played a great game at left half. As he is equally at home in any wing half or inside forward positions he should be a useful acquisition to Everton whenever he is available. Everton name three full backs as there is still a doubt about Greenhalgh’s fitness. So long as Jackson and Jones maintain last week’s form Everton need have no worry. Steele of Stockport is included in the halves as Mercer is doubtful. Joe is due to return from leave on Friday, but may get an extension. Sam Jones is going with the Army side to Ireland, so Watson comes in at left half, while Alec Stevenson will play for Ireland. Team from;- Burnett; Jackson, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Mercer, Steele, Jones (T.G.), Watson; Grant, Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, T.H. Leek, McIntosh.

September 9, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
T.H. Leek, the Moor Green and Corinthians amateur international now in the Royal Air Force, has thrown in his lot with Everton, and may make his debut for them on Saturday, when the Blues visit Manchester United at Maine Road. Leek has played in several representative matches for England, appearing against Scotland, Wales, and Ireland in 1939 and then going on a tour of Australia. Leek is quite an enthusiast, and as he has not had a game this season is going to Goodison Park to have a spot of training in preparation for Saturday’s big test. Leek can play either at inside forward or wing half back, but Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has included him among the forwards in the 14 names from which the team will be chosen. There are doubts affecting all its departments except goal, where Burnett holds the fort. Jackson of course, will be at right back, but whether Jack Jones or Norman Greenhalgh will be on the left depends on which player makes the better recovery from injury. Greenhalgh was injured at Blackburn and Jones received his injury last Saturday. It is hoped that Joe Mercer will be able to continue at right half before going back off leave, but Steele, of Stockport County, will be available and Tommy Jones and Gordon Watson are other half-backs in the list. Alex Stevenson and Sam Jones will be playing for Ireland against the Army in Ireland, but the Blues will have forward internationals in Tommy Lawton and George Mutch. Mutch, of course will be playing against his former colleagues Jack Grant, Bentham and McIntosh will be available. Team from;- Burnett; Jackson, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Mercer, Steele, Jones (T.G.), Watson; Grant, Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, T.H. Leek, McIntosh.

September 10, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, having made a much better start than last season, will visit Manchester United, with a good share of confidence, but will have to keep a wary eye on Jack Smith and company, who can get among the goals if given half a chance. Everton need not worry unduly about their defence, however, for Jackson and the two Joneses made a stalwart rearguard, but I would like to see a little more incisiveness and shot about the attack, and less “me to you and you to me” combination. When Tommy Lawton starts hitting them with his old power and precision again some defences are going to have a hot time, but last week he failed to get hold of his shots as he normally does. T.H.Leek, an English international with nine caps to his credit, is among the probable forwards, as well as Grant the “A” team winger, who gave an encouraging display in the charity game against Liverpool. Stevenson and Sam Jones are playing in Ireland.
Team from;- Burnett; Jackson, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Mercer, Steele, Jones (T.G.), Watson; Grant, Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, T.H. Leek, McIntosh.
Everton Res are home to Fazackeley (3.0) in the County Combination. Team; Birkett or Prince; Woodcock, Lever; Morley, McDonnell, Grenfell; Higgins, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Colts (v. Shaftesbury Boys Club at Orrell’s ground 3.15); Jones; Ireland, Durham; Clesay, Williams, Doyle; Turner, Taylor, Gordon, Jesse, Bulley.

September 10, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Without Stevenson and Sam Jones, who will be playing for Ireland and with Joe Mercer still a doubtful, Everton face a hard task in opposing Manchester United, at Maine Road, yet they will be encouraged by the fact that the last time they went there they scored a brilliant 4-1 victory. Games between these clubs have produced some excellent struggles since the war, and at the moment both are unbeaten, having secured three of the four points at stake. Everton may introduce T.H. Leek, the amateur international forward, but it depends largely on which player can travel. Tommy Jones, Tommy Lawton, and Joe Mercer will be all right and there are well tried personalities in McIntosh. Mutch and Bentham in attack, Steele of Stockport, may make his debut at right half, I think that if the other forwards will shoot as readily as Lawton and McIntosh the Blues may spring a surprise on the clever and progressive United.
Team from;- Burnett; Jackson, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Mercer, Steele, Jones (T.G.), Watson; Grant, Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, T.H. Leek, McIntosh.
Everton Res are home to Fazackeley (3.0) in the County Combination. Team; Birkett or Prince; Woodcock, Lever; Morley, McDonnell, Grenfell; Higgins, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Colts (v. Shaftesbury Boys Club at Orrell’s ground 3.15); Jones; Ireland, Durham; Cleasy, Williams, Doyle; Turner, Taylor, Gordon, Jesse, Bulley.

September 11, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Manchester United;- Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Warner, Whalley, and McKay, half-backs; MacDonald (Southampton), Broadis, Smith, Pearson, and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E), backs; Steel (Blackpool), Jones (T.G.) (captain) and Mercer, half-backs; Mutch (Preston), Bentham, Lawton, Wainwright, and McIntosh (Preston). Referee; Mr. Lieut G. Salmon (Stoke). At Maine Road, the amateur international T.H.Leek, was not able to play for Everton, but Wainwright, of Southport, took his place. Burnett had to sweep away a centre by Bellis to prevent United forward from applying the finishing touch. Lawton and Wainwright got together with a nice movement, which ended in Lawton sending the ball too far forward as he was nearing goal. Lawton, well looked after by the United defence, was nevertheless a trouble to them, but the first real shot of the game came when McDonald shot just over the bar with a fine effort. The opening goal was scored in twelve minutes by Broadis. It was actually started on its way, by T.G. Jones, who made a faulty back-header to his goalkeeper. This led to a series of passes in front of the Everton goal, until finally Broadis was able to put the ball into the net. Roughton nipped in the nick of time to save his goal when it looked like falling and Lawton had hard lines with a drive. McIntosh was also unlucky when he fired the ball over the crossbar. The United had the more chances but they could not entirely master the Everton defence. McDonald had hard luck when he shot against the Everton cross-bar, but he made amends a few minutes later by heading the ball into the empty net. Broadis ran through the Everton defence, and Burnett rushed out to save the situation, but the Manchester man was able to touch the ball on to Smith, who put it across the McDonald who, with Burnett lying out in the field, had little or nothing to do beyond putting the ball into empty net.
Half-time; Manchester United 2, Everton nil.
The United resumed with powerful attacks, and again McDonald hit the crossbar. Everton were strictly on the defensive. Bellis gave McDonald another possible. But Burnett intervened. Lawton tried a shot, but did not get hold of the ball properly, so that Breedon had a sample task. At 67 minutes Manchester went further ahead. McDonald had made a shot and there seemed little danger from it until Jones and Burnett impeded each other with the result that the goalkeeper handled the ball into his own net. A fourth goal came at 77 minutes when Smith headed home a centre by Bellis.
Everton Res v. Fazackerley
Makin scored a hat-trick for Everton, Baxter was unlucky for Fazackerley when Birkett cleverly saved his shit. Half-time; Everton Res 3, Fazackerley 0.

September 11, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
United Take 2 Goal Lead.
Wainwright the 19 year-old player from Southport, who was only signed for Everton four weeks ago, made his senior team debut against Manchester United at Maine road today. Mercer was at left half, Steele taking the position at right half. Manchester United had to rearrange their side with non appearance of Vose, Whalley moved to centre half, McKay dropped back to left-half and Broadis made up the attack at inside right. Manchester United;- Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Warner, Whalley, and McKay, half-backs; MacDonald (Southampton), Broadis, Smith, Pearson, and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E), backs; Steel (Blackpool), Jones (T.G.) (captain) and Mercer, half-backs; Mutch (Preston), Bentham, Lawton, Wainwright, and McIntosh (Preston). Referee; Mr. Lieut G. Salmon (Stoke). Everton tried a right wing movement, Whalley intercepting Mutch’s centre, and when Broadis tried to take play towards the Everton goal, Mercer stepped in to clear. Play was transferred to the Manchester left wing, Burnett collected a high centre from Bellis. McIntosh and Griffiths had an interesting dual, the full back’s superior speed enabling him to put the ball into touch. United tried again with some interpassing by Smith and Pearson, but when the ball went out to Bellis he was given offside. Mutch was again unsuccessful with a first time centre, McKay heading away. The United left wing again proved troublesome and when the ball came into the middle, Burnett easily saved a low shot by Warner. Lawton sent Mutch away, Bentham, however, running the ball out of play.
Fast Pace.
The game was being played at a fast pace, and Manchester had the best chances, of scoring so far when McDonald put a shot just over the bar from 15 yards. Roughton saved an awkward situation when he checked Lawton as the centre forward seemed all set to score. When Lawton attempted to send Mutch away, McKay headed clear. The Manchester left wing was giving plenty of trouble, T.G. Jones in attempting to clear a centre, made a faulty header, and in the ensuing scramble in the Everton goalmouth several shots were charged down before Broadis managed to put the ball past Burnett. This was after 12 minutes. From this point Everton showed an improvement in attack, but even so they could not get to close grips with Breedon. Manchester were playing the more open game. A quick change to the other wing saw a high shot by Whalley tipped over the bar by Burnett. The Everton defence and Jackson in particular, had to put in some sound work in holding the lively United forwards, but McDonald found an opening, only to crash the ball against the far upright in the 37th minute. Before this raid could be properly cleared, Manchester had a second goal. Burnett came out to collect a long pass up the field, but he came out to Broadis and placed the ball across the goalmouth for McDonald to put through. Everton had certainly hard work cut out in the first half, and the Everton forwards with fewer chances.
Half-time; Manchester United 2, Everton 0

September 13, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Manchester United 4, Everton 1
Manchester United Prevail
By Stork.
Manchester United were a much better side than Everton at Maine Road and were worthy of their 4-1 success, even though I was of the opinion that at least two of the goals should never have been scored. When one looks back and recalls the championship side it is easy to say this was only a shadow of the real Everton team. There was little rhythen in their play on this occasion, and for the main part it was football without a purpose. There was much more swing about Manchester’s play. They had inside forwards who could hold and then pass the ball with accuracy. Everton missed the promptings of Stevenson, who brings a linking-up plan into Everton’s play. Speedy open football and the quick burst through brought the United their victory. In the case of the first goal a back header by T.G. Jones was the starting point. Bellis picked up Jones’s clearance, put the ball to Smith, who in turn sent it along to Pearson, who passed it on to Broadis to score. That was at 12 minutes.
Feeble Shooting
Everton’s shooting was feeble, McDonald, of Southampton, scored goal number two as Burnett and Broadis were lying on the ground, the scorer having an empty goal before him. He had previously hit the crossbar. He again struck the woodwork immediately after the resumption, and later when he shot he saw T.G. Jones and Burnett impede each other, with the result that the goalkeeper handed the ball into his own net. Smith headed the United’s fourth goal, probably the best of the lot. For a time the game was attractive because there were few idle moments, and this was mainly due to the United but half-way through the second half it petered out to a great extent. Seven minutes from the end Mutch scored a consolation goal for Everton. While the whole Manchester team played sound football, I was struck by Whalley at centre half-back. He kept a tight grip on Lawton, who hardly had a shot at goal. The defence of Houghton and Griffiths was equal to most demands placed upon them by the Everton forwards of whom I though Wainwright was the best T.G. Jones was the best half-backs, for I have seen Mercer play a lot better, and Steele was slow and uncertain in his passing. Jack Jones was Everton’s most reliable defender. Attendance 8,500. Receipts £540. Manchester United;- Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Warner, Whalley, and McKay, half-backs; MacDonald (Southampton), Broadis, Smith, Pearson, and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Jones (J.E), backs; Steel (Blackpool), Jones (T.G.) (captain) and Mercer, half-backs; Mutch (Preston), Bentham, Lawton, Wainwright, and McIntosh (Preston). Referee; Mr. Lieut G. Salmon (Stoke).
• Liverpool won 8-0 against Wrexham, Shepherd scored (6), Balmer, and Hanson.

September 13, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
While Shepherd was stealing the glory at Anfield, Eddie Wainwright, Everton’s new 19-year-old forward only signed a few weeks ago, was proving himself quite a success when making his first team debut opposing Manchester United at Maine-road, where Everton lost 4-1. This was, my colleagues in Manchester assures me, a rather dismal Everton effort. During the first half the Blues gave as good as they took, but then Broadis scored a simple goal due to defensive error. Still, Everton fought on, but when the United got another scrambling goal, the fight went out of Everton until the closing stages when Mutch got a consolation point. Wainwright played some excellent football and, with build on his side, is certain to prove a nod. No Everton forward did better for Lawton was unable to overcome the Whalley barrier, although a stout hearted trier all through. Jackson was outstanding in defence, with Tom Jones again a tower of strength, but Everton suffered because there wing half-backs were unable to cope with the scheming of Pearson and Broadis. Certainly not Everton’s real form.

September 13, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
I wonder what there is about Maine Road? I have been there two weeks in succession and seen both Liverpool and Everton put up games which have been anything but encouraging for the future. In each case the Merseysiders have failed lamentably falled to produce football up to their known standard. Everton had a fair team at their disposal, including four internationals, yet they were made to look moderate by Manchester United. They had no cohesion about them. Even when they are not scoring goals they can usually produce some nice football but they did neither and Manchester were ready winners. To make the excuses (writes Stork) that the first three Manchester goals should not have been scored is of no value now. They were scored and they took the spike out of the Everton team. Up to a point the game was interesting, but it was chiefly the United who kept it so, for Everton after the first half failed to produce any fighting quality, and eventually the game became drab and featureless. But let me explain the goals. Manchester’s first came through a faulty back-header by T.G. Jones the scored when Burnett and Broadis were lying in the outfield; the third a misunderstanding between T.G. Jones and Burnett the latter finally pushing the ball into his net. The fourth was the best of the bunch. Twice McDonald had struck the crossbar, and there was always more shooting from the swift off the mark, and ever a danger to the Everton defence. Their pace was a trouble to Everton, who were inclined to await the ball’s coming instead of going out for it. The Manchester half back showed how to cut into Everton’s place with success and there was a linking-up process between half back and forward which gave the United a big advantage. Everton never played as a whole, individually they could do things, collectively they were “higgledy-piggledy” Lawton hardly got in a shot of note, he was so well watched by Whalley, and with the spearhead rendered ineffective the remainder of the line naturally suffered. Wainwright was the best of the forwards, but there was no one there to hold the line together. Alex Stevenson was a much missed man. When I tell you that Breedon was never in sore trouble you can gauge for yourself the quality of Everton’s shooting. T.G. Jones was the best of the middle line, for Mercer was below par and Steele slow and cumbersome. Rarely did he get a pass away with any accuracy. There lay the great difference in the two teams for Warner, Whalley and McKay were forever prompting their forwards in which Pearson and Broadis did the spade work. Roughton and Griffiths had a fine understanding, and were sure in their kicking and tackling. Mutch scored a consolation goal late on, but there was little danger of Everton even saving the game. They were not playing like it.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 14 September 1943
Pilot Officer John Owen Pennington (21) of Ormskirk who wipe the D.F.C set a fine example in seeking out the target and bombing it succeessfully during many sorties into Germany. The son a Lancashire County Council roadman, of Bickerstaffe, Ormskirk, he was for a time on the staff of Messrs Brighthouse, Joness and Co, solicitors, Ormskirk, and before joining up was at a North-west ordiance depot. On sveral operational flights he was with Wing-Comdr, John Nettleton, V.C, now reported missing. He is now acting as instructor. He has played football for Everton "A" and Skelmersdale in the Liverpool County Combination.

John Owen Pennington
Liverpool Daily Post - Tuesday 14 September 1943
Pilot-Officer John Owen Pennington, aged 21, of Ormskirk, who also wins the D.F.C., set fine example in seeking out the target and bombing it successfully during many sorties into Germany. The son of a Lancashire County Council roadman, of Bickerstaffe, Ormskirk, was twenty-one last July 28. Educated at Bickerstaffe C. of E. School and at the Southport Technical School, volunteered for the R.A.F. at the age of eighteen. For a time he was on the staff of Messrs Brighouse, Jones and Co., solicitors, Ormskirk. and before joining up was at a North-West ordnance depfit. After  preliminary training in this country he went to Manitoba to complete his training. Last May he returned England as sergeant-pilot, and was promoted to pilot-officer after his first tour of operational flying. Since then he has done many flights over Germany, France, and Italy. On several operational flights he was with Wing- Commander John Nettleton, V.C., now reported missing. He is now acting as instructor. He has played football for Everton and Skelmersdale United in the Liverpool County Combination.

September 15, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, of Everton, reports a couple of team doubts for Saturday’s big match at Goodison Park with Manchester United. The position affected are left half and inside right –problems which should be solved by tomorrow. For left half, Mr. Kelly has either Gordon Watson, now recovered from injury, or Sam Jones, of Blackpool. Norman Greenhalgh has recovered from his injury and will resume at left back as partner to Jackson, while Stan Bentham reverts to right half in place of Steele, Mercer, is not available. And Lawton will be out as he is tired up with the Army Cadet Championships at Eaton-road. There are four certainties for the attack for Ceil Wyles the former Peterborough lad who scored a wonder goal for Tranmere Rovers at Stockport last week, is named at Lawton’s deputy. And if Cecil plays as well as when I saw him at Goodison Park last week, he will do the job all right. Mutch, Stevenson, -returning from Ireland, -and McIntosh are all set, and Tommy Jones is certain for centre half. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Jones (Sam) or Watson; Mutch, A,N. Other, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

September 16, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Manchester United are bringing one of their strongest teams for a year to oppose Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday. The most important change from last week’s winning combination is the return of Vose to centre half. Last season the United prove one of the finest teams seen on Merseyside. The majority of the stars of those games will be here again this time under the captaincy of George Roughton, the former Huddersfield Town back. Roughton will be partnered by Griffiths, definitely the latest full back in the game now that Jim Harley is so busy with his naval duties, and in goal will be Breedon, who formerly played with Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley. Vose, is the St. Helens lad who borders on international class, despite the fact that he is no “big un.” Vose will have no his flanks Bert Whalley, who went to Old Trafford from Stalybridge and Bill McKay, who saw service with Bolton Wanderers and Hamilton Academicals before going to the United. Warner’s Services duties prevent his playing. Jack Smith formerly of Huddersfield and Newcastle United, and who was once angled after by Liverpool, leads the attack with schoolmaster Pearson –a Salford lad –on his left, and Broadis at inside-right. Bryant formerly of Wrexham will be at outside right with Bellis of Rochdale and formerly Tranmere Rovers at outside-left. Altogether a grand side capable of providing brilliant football. Manchester Utd; Breedon; Griffiths, Roughton; Whalley, Vose, McKay; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson, Bellis.

September 17, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Though Everton have made a better start than last season, they have already been up to their tantalising tricks. Tomorrow they have an opportunity to put themselves back in favour, and although they will be minus Lawton and Mercer they stand a good chance of reversing last week’s defeat if they will show a little more initative and enterprise in front of goal. Manchester United are a good side without being brilliant speedy in attack and defence, and always ready to shoot. Everton last week had no “key man,” to carry and fetch, so that the forwards had to do their on foraging. While the run of Stevenson will make a difference. Everton must not wait for the ball, otherwise they will find the nippy Mancunians collect it stead. Everton can win if they set about their task in the right manner and not allow United to deciate matters and at the same time speed up their own tempo with the halves backing up their attack. Wyles who deputises for Lawton, will find Whalley a stumbling block, just as Lawton did, but can be beaten if the remainder of the side play their parts. Everton will have the help of Sam Jones in the half back line, while Wainwright the young Stockport players, who did so well last week, makes his debut before the home crowd. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (tg), Jones (s); Mutch, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, MCIntosh. Manchester United; Breedon; Griffiths, Roughton; Whalley, Vose, McKay; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson, Bellis.

September 17, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Eddie Wainwright the 19 year-old, forward who made such a rapid rise to Football League status with Everton, will play inside-right for the Blues in their match against Manchester United at Goodison Park tomorrow. It is less than two months ago that Wainwright applied to Everton for trials, and such was his form that Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly did not hesitate to take him on forms once he had seen the lads in action. Wainwright played two matches with the Colts this season and then appeared for the Reserves in a mid-week game, scoring twice. Last Saturday Wainwright, who comes from Southport, was called on at the last minute to play inside left at Maine Road against the United, so he rose from trailist to First Division in five weeks! Wainwright is splendidly built, and looks very like Tommy Lawton on the field. A natural footballer, the lad will go far if he learns to part just a wee quicker. Tommy Lawton said to me during the week, when I asked him about Wainwright, that the lad is possessed of tremendous possibilities. “I think he is certain to do well,” added Lawton.
Wyles Debut
While Wainwright will be making his League debut at Goodison Park we shall also see Cecil Wyles back on first team duty. Wykes is called on to take over the Lawton “mantle” and if he plays as well as he did when I saw him against Napiers the job will be well done. Wykes is one of those versatile players who always battles the whole 90 minutes, no matter which position he occupiers. Last season Cecil a former half-back was one of the leading scorers in the County Combination and if Wainwright and Stevenson can carve out the openings, Wykes will take them. Greenhalgh returns to the defence, and Bentham and Sam Jones will be at wing half to complete what looks like a really strong division. I think Everton will just emerge victors in what should prove a testing engagement for the United are one of the best teams in the north –and they are bringing almost a pre-war standard side. The last time the United were here they won 5-0, but I have a feeling that Everton will record their initial home win of the season –providing the attack knits together, and the inside forwards can keep half-backs Whalley and McKay fully occupied. . Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (tg), Jones (s); Mutch, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh. Manchester United; Breedon; Griffiths, Roughton; Whalley, Vose, McKay; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson, Bellis.

September 18, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Manchester United Visit Goodison
By Ranger
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.)(captain), and Jones (J.E.), half-backs; Grant (J.), Wainwright, Wyles (C.), Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Manchester United; Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Whalley, Vose, and McKay, half-backs; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Referee; Mr. S. McCarthy. The United forwards looked more dangerous in attack than Everton, though actually it was Everton who were first to score. Wyles put them in front at the 19th minute, when the home centre forward was a trifle fortunate to find himself given sufficient time to get the ball to his liking and “place” his shot without being challenged. McIntosh put Everton further ahead at the 23rd minute, after Breedon had only partially saved, a shot by Wainwright and had pushed the ball to McIntosh’s foot. These two goals put few life and vigour into Everton, and the game, which hitherto had been rather sedate livened up to such an extent that Everton added two further goals in two minutes. Stevenson got the first of these –a characteristically “cheeky” one in which he not only bamboozed the United defence but had his own forward colleagues just as dizzy trying to follow his devious route. This was at the 25 minute, and at the 26th McIntosh got Everton’s fourth, while Lawton almost put the ball in his own goal a few moments later. This was a remarkable turnaround, for in the early stages Everton had given no signs of any likelihood of heavy goal scoring. Good work by Stevenson added by a centre from McIntosh enable Wainwright to score Everton’s fifth at the thirty fourth minute, making five goals in a quarter of an hour.
Half-time-Everton 5, Manchester United nil. After 54 minutes Wyles scored Everton’s sixth goal after the whole Everton line had tip-tapped in most tantalising manner in front of goal. It looked as though nobody would apply the finishing touch. United’s approach work was excellent up to a point, and then they fiddled about in front of goal until chances were lost. Everton were not much better, and several times they fell into United’s off side trap. Belis reduced the lead after seventy-eight minutes. Final; Everton 6, Manchester United 1.

September 18, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Great Display by Stevenson.
By Pilot.
Everton had to make two late changes, for their match against Manchester United at Goodison Park today. Sam Jones had not recovered from an injury received in Ireland last week, and Mutch failed to arrive. Jack Jones stepped in at left half and Grant who played against Liverpool recently was at outside right. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.)(captain), and Jones (J.E.), half-backs; Grant, Wainwright, Wyles (C.), Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Manchester United; Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Whalley, Vose, and McKay, half-backs; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Referee; Mr. S. McCarthy. Everton started in thrilling style, Wainwright trying to bore his way through before Wyles headed in from close range. Breedon making a brilliant one-handed save. Wyles reached the return, but it passed the wrong side of the post, and after one brief raid by Pearson, Everton came back again, McIntosh shooting over as he was tackled. This young Everton attack was moving freely and enterprisingly, and Stevenson headed in well after Grant had outwitted Roughton. Burnett made a safe catch off a centre by Bellis before McIntosh, Stevenson and Wainwright participated in a splendid move, crowned with a first time shot from Wyles which Breedon dived to and turned around the post. Bentham came through with a shot after Wyles and Stevenson had delighted with their precise collaboration, and after Smith had been baulked, McIntosh shot first time but Breedon saved on the line. The Everton defence was twice worried pressure, but Burnett came out to hold up Belis at a testing moment. Broadis made a fine run outside the penalty area, finishing with a shot which hit the net supports.
Everton Take Lead
Everton took the lead in 20 minutes, and it was not underserved. Vose stepped in to intercept from Grant, but Wyles dispossessed him, and seemed to be too hampered ever to got in his shot. Wyles, however, toe-ended a surprise shot 15 yards, which flashed into the top corner of the net, Breedon having no possible chance. In 23 minute Everton were two up, their enthusiasm and willingness to work providing a real thrill for 10,000 spectators. Bentham set the attack in motion with a neat transfer to Stevenson, whose foot flick completely deceived Whalley. Stevenson put Wainwright through and although Breedon dived to save, McIntosh was on the spot to drive into the net. At the 26th minute Everton scored, twice within a minute. First Stevenson the man whose intricate were blasting wide the United defence –once again gave the dummy to pass to McIntosh, but instead swept through at outside left to score with a long dropping shot. Back came Everton, their very speed to possession bewildering the United, and McIntosh gathered a centre from the right, calmly turned round, and then drove into the corner of the net. Vose and Whalley changed places, but this failed to stem the relentless Everton attack. Breedon turned a shot from McIntosh around the post and then disposed of the corner, but once Stevenson started to weave his spells again the United were at seas.
Five Up.
The Irishman got them moving the wrong way, and put McIntosh through for the winger to cut close in and level a low centre which Wainwright drove home. Time 34 minute. At last came a real thrust from the United, Broadis letting go a left foot shot which was bound for goal, when Burnett dived and flicked it around the post. Burnett also dealt ably with the corner kick, turning it aside with one hand, Stevenson went through again and centred from close range, but the ball eluded his colleagues until Wyles stepped in and placed outside. As a fitting finale to a half which had demonstrated Stevenson as a master footballer, Stevenson himself went through and beat Breedon all ends up but the ball came back off the post.
Half-time; Everton 5, Manchester United 0.
The United came more into their own on resuming, moving the ball about with greater freedom, and after Broadis had shot over, Burnett covered himself with glory, leaping aside to catch shots and cutting out dangerous centres. Everton successfully withstood this attempted Manchester rally and went back on the offensive to increase their lead in six in 54 minutes. Wyles had been working hard to create a shooting chance without success, but then Stevenson took command, immediately switched play to the right, and from Grant’s centre Wyles got the desired opening and took it. Smith and Belis participated in the best United move so far, but when Pearson headed in from two yards Burnett pulled the ball down magnificently. Bellis and Broadis were striving hard to bring a change in the order, and Bellis made a brave effort after a warm duel with Jackson, driving in a shot which came back off the bar, and although Bryant had a good chance, from the rebound he headed outside. McIntosh fired a shot just by the far post, and in 79 minutes the United at last got a goal. This was engineered by Pearson, who passed out for Belis to reduce the lead with an excellent cross shot. Final; Everton 6, Manchester United 1.

September 20, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 6, Manchester United 1
Four in 15 Minutes
By Ranger.
Everton’s 6-1 victory over Manchester United at Goodison Park somewhat flattered the home side, but although they were not that margin better than the losers they were nevertheless good, sound winners and victory was the more significant they were without some of their star players. On paper the attack, apart from the left flank looked something of a scratch sort of affair, but in actual practice it worked out extremely well, for every man was a real trier and though there were occasions when they might have been more direct they always moved up as one man and showed no hesitancy about shooting. In the early stages though playing well together, Everton’s front line hardly gave indication of the goal rush that was in store. When Wyles drew first blood at the nineteenth minute, however, Everton sensing the shakiness in the United defence, took their chances without hesitation and piled on such pressure that four more goals were added in the next fifteen minutes. McIntosh got two goals, Stevenson and Wainwright one each, and on top of that Stevenson hit the upright. Wyles missed “a sitter” and Breedon had to make a number of good saves to keep the margin where it was.
A Lively Period
It was a sensational period, for United in the first twenty minutes had put in some really good attacking work, and their forwards had always looked dangerous. They would have done better, however, had they known when to stop dribbling and offered a pass. They suffered from excessive individualism though there were occasions when they provided some spells of first-class combination, particularly in the second half, when it took Burnett’s best to keep them at bay. Wyles added Everton’s sixth goal after 54 minutes, and Bellis got a consolation one for the United 12 minutes from the end, which was the limit of the visitors achievement, though they threatened more. Apart from their faults in attack, United were ragged in defence, and particularly weak in their covering. The rearguard lost its grip completely once Everton started on the goal track. The home defence was sound in every department. Jackson and Greenhalgh were in grand form; the wing halves were keen tacklers and helpful in all their forwards aggressive moves. Stevenson was brilliant, particularly in the first half. Wainwright pleased the crowd on his home debut, and Wyles did well. United’s best were Broadis, Pearson, Bellis, McKay, and Roughton. Breedon was below his normal form. Attendance 13,101. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.)(captain), and Jones (J.E.), half-backs; Grant (J.), Wainwright, Wyles (C.), Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Manchester United; Breedon, goal; Griffiths and Roughton (captain), backs; Whalley, Vose, and McKay, half-backs; Bryant, Broadis, Smith, Pearson and Bellis (Rochdale), forwards. Referee; Mr. S. McCarthy.
• Liverpool beat Wrexham 5-2. Balmer (3), Shepherd (2), Bremner, and Hughes for Wrexham.
• Post and Echo had Mutch playing, however, he failed to arrive and Grant played.

September 20, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The Goodison Park match was a positive revelation for it looked as if the United would repeat their Maine-road success, but the Everton lads had that supreme quality which overcome all difficulties-the will to win. Sam Jones could not play because of injury and Jackie Jones stepped in at left half to solve one of Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly’s problems. George Mutch failed to turn up and five minutes before kick-off Jackie Grant was told to strip. Another problem was solved. During the week Mr. Kelly had asked Liverpool for the loan of Cyril Done to fill the inside-right vacancy but Liverpool replied that they wanted Done for the Wrexham game. Done as a matter of fact, did not play at Wrexham, but the Everton folk are now pleased that Liverpool could not give the helping hand for it meant young Eddie Wainwright getting his chance. And Wainwright was one of the outstanding successes. While Everton can produce players of the Wyles Wainwright and Grant calibre they need have no fears either for the success of this season’s campaign or for the future. These lads were just setting out to build reputation, and they played in that “we have everything to gain and nothing to lose” spirit. It was in itself a glorious thrill Wainwright I am certain, is going to build up into a class forward. I liked him when he played with the reserves and marked him down for “a future” and in the game he rose to the occasion in encouraging style. That extra speed and “nip” is bound to come with more experience. Wyles and Grant I have long admired and they too, added lustre to their young careers, high praise in there, whose enthusiasm grit and ability did so much to help Everton to a smashing 6-1 win which left Mr. Harold Hardman and his colleagues from Manchester, somewhat breathless. The win did not exaggerate Everton’s superiority in the slightest degree.
Stevenson –Magician
Of course, this was no “one man show” for the younger players, for Bentham, Tom Jones and Jack Jones made a perfect intermediary trio in front of the unshakeable defence of Burnett, Jackson, and Greenhalgh, and who with the lightning raider Jim McIntosh, all earned “curtain-calls,” but the man who stood out head and shoulders above them all was the footballer magician Alex Stevenson. Stevenson seemed to revel in the fact that it was up to him to give the younger lads a real chance, and for ninety minutes he schemed tricked gave the “dummy” and nursed along the attack in incomparable style. Stevenson’s was one of the finest exhibitions of creative football I have seen for a long time. Alex got one goal himself, but actually had a hand in all the other five, which fell to Wyles (2), McIntosh (2) and Wainwright. Stevenson and McIntosh have settled down to a bewildering wing, playing completely in harmony and enjoying their game and their jokes. The United interchanged defensive positions in the hope of stemming this relentless Everton tide, which produced four goals in seven minutes and two in one but it was useless. Even when the Blues eased up and the United started to fight back George Burnett rose to the heights with some magnificent goalkeeping. The way in which Burnett timed his advances and dealt with cross centres proved that he has studied himself and improved any weaknesses. No one could wise for better “keeping than Burnett’s this day, and it took a grand shot by Belis to eventually beat him. Yes, a display to delight and indicate blue skies for the Blues in the days to come, in the absence because of holidays of Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins, senior directors present, Mr. Ernest Green, played the host in his customary general way, backed up by Dr. Cecil Baxter and Messrs Dickie Williams and Dick Searle The 13,118 spectators had a joy day.

September 20, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s victory over Manchester United was a happy augury of better things to come, even if the Blues were rather flattered by the margin of it. What I liked best was their keenness and team spirit –not always as much in evidence lately as one would like. They were a team of real triers from stem to stern and, from start to finish, and that goes a long way towards balancing any little faults there might have been. During the 15 minutes in which they got their five first-half goals, Everton played with unaccustomed dash, determination and directness but at other periods they still showed inclination to tip-tap and in tantalising manner. Considering the margin they had it was not of much importance in itself, but was sigaficant of a trait which though sometimes nice to watch, pay’s dividence in points. Wyles was a lively and hardworking centre forward, Wainwright gave a very promising show, wee Alec Stevenson had a gala day and McIntosh played his best game so far, with Grant worthily completing the line. United’s defensive weaknesses were expressed when they lost their grip completely once Wyles had opened the scoring in the 19th minute. Everton sensing their opportunity seized it with enthusiasm and spirit, and ran the visitors off their feet for the rest of the first half. McIntosh (two), Stevenson and Wainwright adding further goals. If United’s rearguard had been as good as their attack the tale would have been different, for their forwards were always dangerous and at times it took Everton all their time to keep them in check Smith caused Tommy Jones many as anxious moment. Broadis and Pearson put in some brilliant sole runs, and the wingers were always a source of anxiety. Everton’s defence, however, was sound. Jackson, who has been playing splendidly since he succeeded Cook was at the top of his form, and Jack Jones and Bentham were excellent wing halves. On paper the Everton forward line –the left flank excepted looked rather a scratch affair but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and in practice it worked out splendidly. This win will give the side more confidence than for some time, and if the same team spirit is in evidence in the future Everton will be up among the leaders.

September 23, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will be without T.G. Jones for their visit to Burnley on Saturday –he played for Wales at Wembley –and Lawton is also a doubtful starter. In Jones’s place Everton will have McDonnell the reserve team pivot, a native of Haydock who made his senior debut just short of a year ago, and had two subsequent outings with the first team, playing extremely well on each occasion. If Lawton cannot play Wykes will take his place, which would leave the forwards line as last week. There is a doubt about Sam Jones’s fitness and should he be absent “J.E.” of the same lik will fill the breach –and fill it admirably if he playing anything like the game he did against Manchester United. Though Lawton is stationed on Merseyside his duties as instruction to the Army cadets on which he has entered with whole-hearted enthusiasm, may make his appearance for Everton less frequent than at one time seemed possible. Team; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, M. McDonnell, Jones (S.) or Jones (J.E.); Grant, E. Wainwright, Lawton or Wyles, Stevenson, and McIntosh.
Everton Reserves home to Kirkby in the County Combination, will include Taylor (Fulham) and Smith (Hamilton Acad) in a strong team viz; Birkett; Woodcock, Grenfell; Dewhurst, Rees, or Cox, Taylor; Higgins, A. Smith, Gordon, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Colts (v. Bromborough Pool Juniors at Orrell Lane); Prince; Shone, Lever; R. Williams, H. Williams; Doyle, Lunt, Taylor, Faulkner, Dickinson, Lane.

September 23, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Martin McDonnell, the young centre half whom Everton signed from Haydock a year ago, makes his first appearance of the season when he deputises for Tommy Jones in the team to oppose Burnley at Turf Moor on Saturday. Jones will be leading Wales against England at Wembley. McDonnell will be having his fourth game with the senior side, and if he senses his chance in the manner of Wyles, Wainwright and Grant last week then the Blues defence should be strong enough, I saw McDonnell playing for the Reserves recently, and certainty he has made tremendous improvement since last season. He is a player with the speed and energy which enables him to cover a lot of ground. It is tribute to him that no club has scored against Everton Reserves this season. Everton’s defence will be unchanged, but there is a possibility of Sam Jones, of Blackpool returning to left-half following injury. If Sam is still unfit then versatile Jackie Jones will continue in the position. The only doubt about the attack is whether Tommy Lawton can get off to play. If not Cecil Wyles retains the berth and Jack Grant and Eddie Wainwright will again constitute the right wing with Stevenson and McIntosh on the left. Lawton will not be available for the return game with Burnley because he is going on leave. Team; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, M. McDonnell, Jones (S.) or Jones (J.E.); Grant, E. Wainwright, Lawton or Wyles, Stevenson, and McIntosh.
Everton Reserves ; Birkett; Woodcock, Grenfell; Dewhurst, Rees, or Cox, Taylor; Higgins, A. Smith, Gordon, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Colts (v. Bromborough Pool Juniors at Orrell Lane); Prince; Shone, Lever; R. Williams, H. Williams; Doyle, Lunt, Taylor, Faulkner, Dickinson, Lane.

September 24, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
When Jasper Kerr, the former Everton player, who these days helps to coach the younger Burnley players, called to see me just before the season opened, he told me to keep an eye on Burnley. The Turf Moor club has certainly got off to a splendid start, and Everton will have all their work cut out tomorrow –especially without Tommy Jones. The Blues, however, have the moral backing of their much improved show of last week, plus the revived team spirit which has also in evidence –and which will make a big difference if they can foster it further. McDonnell, who deputises for T.G. Jones, has already shown sound ability in previous senor games, and Wyles who will be centre forward if Lawton is absent, did well last week. Grand and Wainwright carry on the right wing, and Jack Jones will be there if Sam Jones is not fit. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, M. McDonnell, Jones (S.) or Jones (J.E.); Grant, E. Wainwright, Lawton or Wyles, Stevenson, and McIntosh.

September 24, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is no disputing that Everton face a terrific task in going to Turf Moor to oppose Burnley. The Burnley boys have stepped off on the right foot, and won their first three games, before dropping a point at Bury last week. The side is operating with confidence and no means ability. Everton’s success depends largely on the ability of young Martin McDonnell –“Matt” to his pals-adequately to fill the position of Tommy Jones. If McDonnell plays as well as I know he can Burnley may strike their colours for the first time this season. There is a good chance that both Tommy Lawton, and Sam Jones, the internationals, will be back to further encouraging the Everton youngsters who riddled the Manchester United defence last Saturday. If Lawton plays –and I think he will –then he is sure of a warm re-welcome at the ground where he first sprang into prominence. I am pleased that Grant and Wainwright are being given another opportunity on the right wing of a side which I think is fully capable of bringing home at least one point. Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, M. McDonnell, Jones (S.) or Jones (J.E.); Grant, E. Wainwright, Lawton or Wyles, Stevenson, and McIntosh.

September 25th 1943. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Burnley; Strong, goal; Brocklebank and Mather, backs; Robinson, Woodruff and Watson, half-backs; Gardner, Sergeant, Snowden, Hornby, Kippax, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; J.A. Morley, M. McDonnell and Jones (J.E.) Jones, half-backs; Grant, Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadle). Everton had two reserve players in the half back line at Turf Moor, and Lawton at centre forward. Burnley, who are unbeaten, turned out a strong team. Everton were distinctly unfortunate not to take a goal in the first minute when Wainwright put the ball over to Lawton, who had hard lines when lobbing over the goalkeeper’s head. It dropped just over the bar. Kippax got round Jackson and centred under the bar, but the ball was cleared and Gardner, who dribbled and feinted, put in a centre which provided a shot for Sergeant. Lawton but Stevenson through, but he was thwarted in the nick of time by Strong. The opening phrase had been excellent, good football by both teams being displayed. Gardner shot wide, and McDonnell twice held up promising movements by timely intervention. McIntosh was stopped when obviously offside and Kippax shot high over for Burnley. With a fine opening in front of them the Burnley forwards passed too often, the movement closing with a poor shot by Gardner. Burnley’s left wing was particularly lively, and often ran through the Everton defence. Stevenson shot into the net, but the goal was disallowed for a previous infringement. Strong saved from McIntosh and Kippax. This was Burnley best form in any match, I have seen during the war-time, and I am not surprised they are standing near the top of the table. If there was a fault it was shooting. The chances were there for the taking. Lawton tried a right footer but did not hit the ball cleanly and it flew right away from goal. Offside verdicts twice spoiled Everton and Grant, who had changed places with Morley, put in some fine work. A free kick by Robertson struck the Everton crossbar, and Snowden was just wide with another. Burnley finished the half attacking strongly Everton had done well to hold Burnley to a draw at half time.
Half-time Burnley nil, Everton nil.
Burnett made a superlative save from Kippax, who shot powerfully from close range. Gardiner’s free kick was missed by everyone, a Burnley goal seemed assured and it was only by a matter of inches that the ball missed the target. Everton were in the main strictly on the defensive, and it was rare to find them neat the Burnley goal, although Lawton was inches off the mark.
Everton Res v. Kirkby
Everton introduced Dewhurst at centre half and Andy Smith, the Hamilton Academicals forward. Scott-Lee netted from a free kick and Gordon added two further goals for Everton. Half-time; Everton Res 3, Kirkby 0.

September 25, 1943. The Evening Express
Keen Tussle with Burnley
Everton were at turf Moor, Burnley today. Burnley; Strong, goal; Brocklebank and Mather, backs; Robinson, Woodruff and Watson, half-backs; Gardner, Sergeant, Snowden, Hornby, Kippax, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; J.A. Morley, M. McDonnell and Jones (J.E.) Jones, half-backs; Grant, Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadle). Burnley introduced a new defence in Brocklebank and Mather. The presence of Lawton was a big attraction for the local crowd. Burnley kicked off against a stiff breeze, and in the first minute, Lawton was right through, but strong came out to meet him and the Everton leader put over the bar. Everton continued to press but were not allowed to settle down. Then Burnley attacked but their raids came to nothing, Kippax afterwards forced a corner which was cleared. Lawton got Stevenson away 20 yards from the Burnley goal, but Stevenson’s shot did not trouble Strong. Everton for a time had rather the better of the exchanges but Burnley occasionally raided dangerously. Once Burnett just managed to get to the ball before Kippax who had raced through on his own.
Point Disallowed.
Then Gardner missed badly when well placed in front of goal, Snowden shot wide with only Burnett to beat. A minute later he beat Burnett, but the goal was disallowed. At the other end, Strong had to throw himself full length to stop a shot from McIntosh. Robinson taking a free kick for Burnley 30 yards out, hit the crossbar and in the “next minute Snowden headed just wide of the upright. At the other end Strong stopped a shot from McIntosh.
Half-time; Burnley 0, Everton, 0.
Burnley were soon away at the resumption and Jackson got his head to a centre from Gardner. Kippax fully extended Burnett and forced a corner, Gardner should have scored when, from a few yards he shot across the goal. Burnley continued to press strongly but in one of Everton’s occasional raids Lawton with a hard drive, forced a corner off Strong. Sargent slipped when nicely placed in front of goal, and a good chance was lost. The home side maintained hard pressure and a bunch of players missed a grand centre from Gardner.
Everton Res v. Kirkby
Everton took the lead after 25 minutes, Scott-Lee beating Tyrer with a free kick from 25 yards range. Gordon headed in a second and a minute later he scored a third.
Half-time; -Everton Res 3, Kirkby 0.

September 27, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Burnley 0, Everton 0
Hard Fight at Burnley
By Stork.
Everton will never have to fight harder for any point than the one they took from Burnley on Saturday. Magnificence of their defence can best be gauged by the fact that for 70 per cent, of the game they were battling it out with the Burnley attack. Why Everton were so completely dominated is equally explained. Jackson pulled a thigh muscle in the first few minutes and it was found that Morley at right half could not hold the Burnley left wing pain. Kippax and Hornby, who in the first moments carved their way through the Everton defence with ease, and the question was how to stop them. Lawton, the captain, wisely decided immediately he saw what was happening to change Morley and Grant a move which undoubtedly prevented Burnley from gaining a victory, for Hornby and Kippax were curbed by the terrier like Grant. This “A” team boy was the outstanding success of the Everton team. He was an eye-opener at right half, and later in the game when Jack Jones dropped back to right full back, Kippax and Hornby were well held. Nevertheless, Burnley had enough chances to have won two games, but their shooting was not on a par with the rest of the game. Otherwise they had a well-balanced side. Gardner missed at least three goals, and Hornby and Kippax and Snowden and Sergeant had reasonable opportunities to break through. They should have won considering Everton’s handicap.
Young Players Shine
It was Everton’s fighting quality that pleased me most. In this battle of defence they rose to great heights and the play of the two young members of the side. McDonnell and Grant was magnificent. Grant had promised well at outside right, but he was excellent at half back. He was here, there, and everywhere; where the battle raged fiercest there would be found Grant and McDonnell. Burnett made two great saves and Lawton had three near misses from the few chances the Everton forwards had. Everton were too concerned with defence to be considered an attacking force, yet it was only a matter of inches which prevented Lawton scoring three goals. It must have been heartbreaking for the 6,000 spectators to see their side hammer Everton without getting any result for their endeavour. Lawton was often down giving a hand when the battle was raging against the defence; in fact it was a case of all hands to the defence. Burnley were well served by Woodruff, Robinson, Mather and Brocklebank. Attendance 6,128, receipts £434. Burnley; Strong, goal; Brocklebank and Mather, backs; Robinson, Woodruff and Watson, half-backs; Gardner, Sergeant, Snowden, Hornby, Kippax, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; J.A. Morley, M. McDonnell and Jones (J.E.) Jones, half-backs; Grant, Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadle).
• Liverpool won 3-1 against Bury, Hanson, Done and Shepherd for Liverpool and Black for Bury
• England beat Wales 9-3, Britton, played for England and T.G. Jones for Wales, at Wembley in front of 80,000.

September 27, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton put up a gallant display at Turf Moor to hold unbeaten Burnley to a goalless draw despite handicaps. Bentham could not get away from his war work, and Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly introduced the youngster Morley at right half. Morley was obviously a little out of his depth, but this was quick spotted by Tommy Lawton, who captained the side so conspicuously, and within ten minutes Tommy had brought Grant to right half and moved Morley to outside right to give the lad more opportunity. Yes, and in the last minute Morley almost won the game. Jackson’s ankle broke down, and so Jack Jones went to right back and McIntosh to left half. Yet Everton stuck to their guns magnificently, especially in the closing stages when Burnley were throwing in everything they had. It was a match chock full of incident contested at a terrific pace, with circumstances forcing the Blues to play more of a defensive role than is their usual wont. Lawton was an industrious leader in more senses than one and “Matt” McDonnell had a brilliant game at centre-half, completely blotting out Snowden, Eddie Wainwright again did well and Grant was a real surprise packet at wing half. The generalship of Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh and Greenhalgh, the fine goalkeeping of Burnett, and the wholehearted enthusiasm of every player well earned Everton a valuable point. There was a gate of nearly 7,000. Bentham, I am pleased to say, will be okay for the return game at Goodison Park on Saturday.

September 27, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Hammered and pounded for 70 per cent of their game with Burnley was Everton’s experience at Turf Moor sp to come out unscathed was a feather in their cap. When the game was over –and it was not over any too soon for Everton, I am sure –I said, “K magnificent effort Everton; your fighting quality was worth a draw.” (Writes Stork). It was battle all the way, for in the first minute Jackson pulled a muscle, which took more than 50 per cent, of his value from his play, and Young Morley was not up to the task of holding Hornby and Kippax, who were cutting through as easily as a hot knife goes through butter. How was this lively Burnley attack going to be clamped down; it had to be if Everton were to avoid a defeat, but how was it to be done? Lawton, the Everton captain, was quick to answer the question. He changed Morley and Grant and it produced the desired result –the holding of Hornby and Kippax. But even so Burnley were still the dominating party. They made it look easy against the handicapped Everton; but when it came to shooting they were rank bad. Time and again they had the goal at their mercy only to fall lamentably. Everton could not be claimed an attacking fierce. They had too much on hand in defending to pay any great attention to scoring, and in defending they did magnificently, never better. The reorganised team brought Jones back to full back. Jackson on the wing, McIntosh at left half and Grant at right half; and it was the display of the youngster that took the eye. He had played well for the short time he was at outside right, but it was as nothing compared with the game as half-back. Another youngster to hold the limelight was McDonnell, a big and strong pivot who has improved immensely since last I saw him.

September 29, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will have Jack Jones at right back in place of the injured Jackson for the return game against Burnley at Goodison Park. Tommy Jones return after the international and if Sam Jones is not able to play Watson will take his place. Lawton is definitely not playing, as he is spending a week’s leave on a busman’s holiday be revisiting an Army P.T. school down south while Stevenson is chosen for the R.A.F side which meets the A.A representative eleven at Blackpool. Team;- Burnett; Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G), Jones (S.) or Watson; forwards from; Grant, Wainwright, Mutch, Wyles, Logie (Arsenal), Scott-Lee, McIntosh.

September 29, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Jimmy Logie, the Arsenal inside forward, is included in Everton’s attack for the match with Burnley at Goodison Park on Saturday. Logie is expected to deputise for Alex Stevenson, who is required for the R.A.F v. A.A. match at Blackpool. Logie has been playing brilliant football for Dumerferline Athletic and is expected in Liverpool on Friday. Everton are forced to make changes for Tommy Lawton goes on leave on Friday and is heading south to look up old friends, but Tommy will be back for the Liverpool “Derby” the following week. Wyles is recalled to centre forward and Mutch of Preston North End and Scott-Lee, the Chinese lad from Rhyl who is on Manchester United’s books and who has been doing so well with Everton Reserves are in the seven possiblies from which the attack will be chosen. Jackson is injured, so Jack Jones goes to right back and the entire half-back line is changed for Bentham resumes on the right, Tommy Jones returns from Wembley to captain the team, either Sam Jones, of Blackpool, or Gordon Watson will be at left half. Sam Jones is expected to be fit again. Everton; Burnett; Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G), Jones (S.) or Watson; forwards from; Grant, Wainwright, Mutch, Wyles, Logie (Arsenal), Scott-Lee, McIntosh.

September 30, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will have three players in the England side to meet Scotland at Manchester on Saturday fortnight. Tommy Lawton who has been out of favour with the selectors to some time –and thereby hangs a tale, though not for publication –has been recalled to lead the team while Mercer and Britton will also play.
Everton “A” team to meet Marine at Crosby is; Birkett; Woodcock, Lever; Eyes, McDonnell, Dewhurst; Lowe, A. Smith, McGuirk, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Everton Colts (v. Little Sutton, away); Jones; Durham, Melling; Barrett, Cox, Taylor; Pye, McCallium, Gordon, Whittaker, Kearns.

September 30, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Lawton, the Everton centre forward, has been recalled to lead England’s attack in the big international match with Scotland at Maine-road, Manchester, on October 16. Lawton is one of three Everton players who will be in the team. Joe Mercer, a regular England player when duties allow, returns to left half, while Cliff Britton, who has, since the war, made the right half position his own, once again retains the role. Three players in one team is a grand record for a single club. Lawton’s return follows on a splendid display for Everton against Burnley last week. Lawton played in England’s first two internationals last season –against Scotland and Wales –but gave way to Dennis Westcott of the Wolves and Don Welsh, the Charlton half-back, was given last Saturday’s job against Wales. I have long contended that Lawton should never have been left out, in my opinion; Lawton is the best centre forward since Dixie Dean.









September 1943