Everton Independent Research Data


September 1, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will be strengthened for their visit to Manchester United by the inclusion of international Wally Boyes at outside-left and Maurice Lindley at centre-half. I firmly believe these changes will make all the difference in the world, and while appreciating the United’s good play last week I do not think Everton will lose this time. True there is doubt about Alex Stevenson, but there is a grand inside-left in Peters, of Doncaster Rovers, standing by. Peters has been playing good football in practice games, and has pleased Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly. Other notable newcomers to Everton’s ranks found in the practice games are Craig, outside left from Albion Rovers, Hull, centre-half from Hereford, McCormick left half from Bolton Wanderers, and Kinsels, outside right from Epson Town. The last four play for the reserves tomorrow while a number of new juniors play for the Colts against Birkenhead Sea Scouts. Tommy Lawton cannot again have such cruel luck as he did against the United a week ago, and this coupled with Boyes return and tightening up the defence, should make all the difference to Everton. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson (or Peter), Boyes.

September 1, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will have to pull the socks up if they are to reverse last week’s defeat when they tackle Manchester United at Maine Road. Lindley’s inclusion at centre half may bring about a better defensive understanding, and Boyes will help to remedy the left wing weakness. The R.A.F will not decide until Saturday morning whether they can release Stevenson, one of two who are reserves for the Wrexham game. Should Stevenson not be available Everton will bring in Peters, of Doncaster Rovers, a soldier stationed near here who has shaped impressively in private trials at Goodison. Congratulations to Joe Mercer on his appointment as England’s captain –a well-deserved honour, which couldn’t have gone to a more capable or esteemed player. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson (or Peter), Boyes.

September 2, 1944. The Evening Express
Second –Half Goals
Stevenson was unable to appear in the Everton attack for the return game with Manchester United, Peters coming into the inside-left position Manchester were strengthened by the inclusion of Morris in the forwards. Manchester United- Breedon, goal; Walton, and Roughton, backs; Warner, Porter and Whalley, half-backs; Bryant, Morris, MyCock, McInnes (Liverpool), Bartholomew (Grimsby), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Lindley (M.), and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Peters (Doncaster Rovers), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr, A. C. Denham (Preston). Lawton won the toss and there was an early thrill in the Everton goalmouth, Morris heading a well placed free kick just inside the foot of the post for Burnett to drive and save. The visitors were quickly off the mark and the United goal had an equally narrow escape when Peters hooked the ball from a few yard out, Breedon saving. The home defence stood up strongly to Everton’s continued pressure, and after Lawton had been twice checked by Porter, Wainwright got in a shot which Breedon scrambled round the post with difficulty. In the next minute Rawlings gave Peters a good chance, but he spoiled it through over eagerness, putting the ball too far forward for Breedon to clear easily. Peters tried to make amends with a header from a corner kick, but he was just too high. The visitors’ halves were keeping a good grip on the United attack, Grant in particular being prominent. In contrast the Everton forwards were shooting at every opportunity, and it was some time before Burnett was called on to save a hard drive from McInnes. Mycock was proving a lively leader in the home attack, and twice he eluded Lindley to test Burnett.
Everton’s Claim
It was a lively and interesting game, and after peters had shot across the face of the goal, Everton made strong claims for a goal when Whalley cleared a shot by Wainwright which appeared to be over the line. A goal seemed certain when Breedon came out to a high shot by Lawton and Missed it, but the goalkeeper made a marvellous recovery to save. Lawton was not having any luck with his shooting, and near the interval he again seemed all set for a goal, only for Roughton to kick clear. Wainwright was also unlucky with a shot taken on the run which beat Breedon and passed just outside the post. It had been Everton’s half.
Half-time; Manchester United 0, Everton 0.
Everton gained a corner in the first minute of the second half, and Wainwright followed it with a shot which beat Breedon, Roughton clearing. Lawton tried a shot from just outside the penalty area which travelled at high speed over the bar, and Burnett had a dangerous header by Mycock well covered. Everton’s persistence was rewarded after 52 minutes when Peters and Boyes went through the defence for Peter to put the finishing touch to a grand move by scoring. Two minutes later Everton scored again. Rawlings was the scorer Porter checked his shot but was unable to prevent it entering the net. Whalley reduced the lead for United.

September 2, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Manchester United- Breedon, goal; Walton, and Roughton, backs; Warner, Porter and Whalley, half-backs; Bryant, Morris, MyCock, McInnes (Liverpool), Bartholomew (Grimsby), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Lindley (M.), and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Peters (Doncaster Rovers), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr, A. C. Denham (Preston). A crowd of about 10,000 were quickly thrilled when from a free kick a few seconds after the start Morris headed into the foot of the Everton goalmouth to see Burnett make a grand save. This, spurred Everton on, and for a period of ten minutes they fully tested the United defence. Peters was robbed of the ball a few yards out as his colleagues stood waiting in the Manchester goalmouth for his pass. Then Wainwright had a try, but was wide of the target. Rawlings also was prominent, with Lawton causing Porter a lot of worry. Manchester were penned in their own half for a long while, but when they eventually moved into the Everton half Whalley shot over the bar.

September 4, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Manchester United 1, Everton 3
Tables Turned
Three goals, in five minutes, two of which was scored by Everton, were only a few of the many incidents that crowded Everton’s brilliant victory over Manchester United. Everton were worthy winners, being quicker on the ball and possessing a skill in control that frustrated all the efforts of the home side to copy. The foundation of Everton’s success was the power of the forwards of whom Lawton. Boyes, Peters, and Rawlings were always possible match winners. Collectively they gave a grand display and individually revealed more guile than any of the home set, though Mycock and Morris were ever energetic . Watson and Grant supported that colleagues meritoriously but Lindley never really mastered the young Manchester United’s centre forward, Mycock, McInnes, the Liverpool half-backs, playing at inside left for the home side, was slow and invariably out of position. Of the United half-back line. Warmer and Whalley worked hard, but their efforts never brought the desired results. It took the combined play of Porter and Roughton to curb the quick moving Lawton, whose only fault was his marksmanship. Walton was the best Manchester’s backs, and vied with Greenhalgh and Jackson for the defensive honours. Breedon and Burnett were good goalkeepers, and furnished many thrills with daring saves. All the goals were scored in the second half. Peters and Rawlings gave Everton the lead before Bryant replied for Manchester to open the possibility of saving the game, but Boyes but the issue beyond all doubt with a brilliant effort.
• Everton Reserves 7, Kirkby 0
• Liverpool beat Stockport 2-0, Fagan and Done.

September 4, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s win could be traced to the decided success of Maurice Lindley at centre-half, to the inspiring leadership of skipper Lawton, to the notable debut of Peters, the young Doncaster Rovers, inside-left, sound defence, the purposeful work of the wing halves. Watson and Grant –Watson was the best player of the 22 –and the workmanlike link-up of the Wainwright-Rawlings wing, coupled with excellent team spirit. Apparently the United had as much of the pressure as Everton, but at no point were they comparable as a team. Peters and Rawlings gave Everton a two-goals lead in the second half, which Bryant reduced following a free-kick, and after Peters had been forced to go on the wing because of leg injury. Boyes added a third goal. Just a line about Peters. Here is a lad built on the lines of Peter Dougal; strong in possession and quite an opportunist. Peters signed professional for Doncaster as recently as last May and, having been given permission to play for any club needing him, he applied to Everton for a trial. Peters had one run with the juniors at Goodison, and Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly knew he had found the ideal deputy for Alex Stevenson. Peters will play again next Saturday if his leg is okay, for Stevenson goes to Ireland, and it is probably that Cecil Wyles who got five goals for the Reserves on Saturday, will deputise for Lawton, who also is at Belfast. Mr. Kelly will also make efforts to keep Lindley at centre half. Good .

September 4, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
The foundation of Everton’s brilliant victory over Manchester United at Maine Road was the power of their forward line, a line which has come in for some criticism recently. It was much too skilful for the United defence both collectively and defensively, and their success was well merited. They scored two goals in quick-sticks through Peters and Rawlings, and were altogether too subtle for Manchester. To win away from home is always considered a smart performance, and this was undoubtedly the case, for the United do not lose many points at Maine Road. Although Lawton failed to score it took two United men to watch him and this opened the way for his colleagues. Further behind and Grant gave their full support pushing the ball through nicely. It was good to see Boyes and his scintillating runs, and his goals was the result of a brilliant effort. The United tried all they knew to save the game, but they found the Everton defence sound and sure. The game was full of thrills and goalmouth incidents, the work of the two goalkeepers, Breedon and Burnett, being impressive.

September 5, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton Football club have appointed Jock Thomson, their Scottish international half-back, post-war coach to the club, and he will take up his duties at Goodison Park as soon as he leaves the Army, in which he is a P.T. instructor. This is the first time in history Everton have ever had an official coach, and the appointment is one which will being delight among all officials, players and followers of The Blues. Jock is one of the most popular players ever to have been on the books, sharing in numerous triumphs. And proving a 100 per cent loyalist. Thomson came to Liverpool on August 19 to see Everton play, Liverpool, and at the next meeting of the directors they decided to offer to Jock the post-war post. Mr. Ernest Green and Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, paid a special visit to Scotland the following week-end to discuss the matter with Thomson and make him the offer. Now the acceptance has come through, so that when peace returns both Everton and Liverpool will have Scottish coaches, for Matt Busby has already accepted a similar position at Anfield. Thomson took a step towards this post during the last full peace season when he filled the unique position of non-playing captain to the Football league side, and I know that his influence guidance and abilities to create the perfect spirit had more than a little to do with Everton’s brilliant winning of the championship. What Jock’s did for Everton that season he will do in the years to come. Believe me, Everton have backed a winner.
Derby Remembers
Jock is a native of Fifeshire, and came to the forefront with Dundee from whom Everton secured his transfer in March 1930, when the Blues striving desperately to avert relegation. It was against West Ham at Goodison Park on March 15 that year that Thomson made his debut and the Blues lost 2-1. From that day right up to midway through the 1938-39 season Jock was an Everton first team player, and began that season as actual playing captain. Then came the appointment of non-playing captain Gordon Watson taking over at left-half, and Billy Cook being selected playing captain. Thomson was a vital unit in the team which brought off the record unparalleled in football history –the winning of the Second Division, First Division and the F.A.Cup in three successive seasons, from 1931 to 1933. Thomson is one of the four members of the Wembley team still with the club, the others being Sagar, Britton, and Cook. Jock has played many wonder games for the Blues, but in my opinion his greatest display was at the Baseball ground, Derby, in 1933, an exhibition which Derby people still remember with delight. It was because of that game that Jock was awarded his cap for Scotland –against Wales. In that International Thomson had the misfortune to place through his own goal, but his play deserved many more caps. Quiet unassuming and methodical, Thomson knows football inside and out, and he have the right personality for the job he is to tackle. Jock has the rare faculty for imparting knowledge to others, and I am confident that his appointment will ensure success for Everton. I know Jock’s extreme value as a player, friends and clubman and know he will do well. At the outset of war Jock became a member of the Police Reserve, but then went into the Army and has been a paratroops instructor. Thomson has had several games with The Blues during the war, and has played quite a lot in Scotland.

September 5, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Jock Thomson’s Job
Ranger’s Notes
Everton F.C., have today made a “signing” which will have a big effect on the club for many years to come. They have appointed Jock Thomson pre-war skipper, and players guide philosopher and friend to take over the job of coach as soon as he is free. As Jock is in the Army, the appointment is not likely to take effect for some time, but Everton are looking ahead, just as Liverpool did in the appointment of Matt Busby to a similar post. Like Busby, Thomson is just the man for the job; he might have been made to measure for it. He has been a grand servant of Everton since the day, nearly fifteen years ago, that he left Dundee for Goodison. He’s given them loyal and wholehearted devotion, and now has the chance to do the club even greater service in the years ahead by moulding the youngsters in the Everton tradition.

September 6, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton have appointed J. Thomson, their Scottish international and former Dundee half-back as post war coach, the first coach the club has ever had. Now in the Army, Thomson is holder of First, and Second Division championship medals as well as an F.A. Cup winner’s medal.

September 7, 1944, The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are forced to make three changes for Saturday’s visit to Bury at Gigg-lane –the first of two trips to the ground in successive weeks –and they affect the attack. Tommy Lawton and Alex Stevenson will be playing in Belfast and Wally Boyes has gone back off leave. Just as I forecast on Monday, Cecil Wyles, high-scoring reserve leader –he got five last Saturday –takes over leadership of the attack, and Peters, the new inside-left from Doncaster Rovers, continues at inside-left, the slight injury received last week having righted itself. Recalled to outside to outside-left is George Makin, the local junior who played in Everton’s opening two games. It is a wise policy not to overplay these promising young players like Makin, and I think the lad will have derived benefit from the week’s rest watching the seniors as Maine Road. Makin has the football in him, and if he will not attempt to do too much, will prove a success. Certainly the lad is getting help possible encouragement and that should help him. Maurice Lindley is again available for centre-half and this should prove a big factor for I am assured that Maurice was the perfect pivot at Manchester. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Peters, Makin.
Everton Reserves (v. Randle); Birkett; Moore, Adamson; A. Carter, Rees, McCormick (Bolton Wanderers); Kinsella, Ashley, J. Hannah, E. Jones (Raith Rovers), L. Craig (Albion Rovers).
Everton Colts (v. Heswall Juniors, at Orrell lane); A. Robertson; J. Evans, Devlin; Melling, Sheppard, Christian; Walsh, Taylor, Quaile, Cross, Davies.

September 7, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton make no alteration in their defence for the game against Bury at Gigg Lane, but the absence of Lawton and Stevenson playing for the Services and Ireland respectively at Belfast and the return of Boyes to his unit means resenting the attack. Team; Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Peters, Makin.

September 8, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
With Lawton and Stevenson playing in Belfast Everton have been compelled to make a chance in their attack for the game with Bury. Wyles the reserve leader, will fill the centre forward berth. Boyes is again available at outside left, his leave having been extended. The defence is unchanged. The team is; Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Peters, Boyes.

September 8, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton demonstrated at Maine-road last week that while they lost their first game they are still going to prove a power in the north. The Blues face a testing period, for they will be away again for the next two matches and at Bury on each occasion. This is entailed because of next week’s international at Anfield. If Everton can secure two points from these Bury games they will have every reason to feel satisfied, for they will lack stars in both engagements due to the big match calls. For instance, Lawton and Stevenson will be away in Belfast tomorrow, but Boyes is available. Young peters, who scored his first game, is given another run at inside left, and the fact that Maurice Lindley can play at centre half leads me to think that Everton will win against a side beaten twice already by Wrexham. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Peters, Boyes.

September 8, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton away to Bury will be minus Lawton. Hitherto they have never been a very convincing combination when he has been absent; but Bury are not a strong side, and after their away win last week the Blues will have gained in confidence. Peters made a promising debut against Manchester United, and if the ball runs kindly for Wyles the attack may spring another welcome surprise. The defence doesn’t cause much anxiety, proving Burnett keeps a check on his fondness for excursions to the edge of the penalty area. Extension of leave enables Boyes to figure in the side again. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Peters, Boyes.
Everton (V. Randle, home); Birkett; Moore, Adamson; Parker, Rees, McCormick (Bolton); Kinsels, Hannah, Jones (Raith Rovers), Craig, (Albion Rovers).

September 9, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Second Half Goals.
Bury remodelled their defence and middle line for the visit of Everton to Gigg Lane, bringing Jones and Gemmill, pre-war players, into the middle line. Everton were as selected. Bury; Blackshaw, goal; Griffiths (G.), and Gorman, backs; Jones, Gemmill, and Griffths (W.), half-backs; Potts, Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Carter, forwards. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawling (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Peters (Doncaster Rovers), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield). Bury made a lively start and in the first minute, Burnett saved on his knees from Drury. Everton’s response was held and Bury came again, Carter finishing off a delightful move with a shot, inches too high. Gemmill and Gorman repelled Everton’s move and Bury continued to be the more aggressive. Good work by Lindley checked spirited home raids. Everton were first dangerous when Wyles turned the ball out to Boyes but the winger hit his side netting. Playing with great enthusiasm, Bury harassed the Everton defence for some minutes, but their inside forwards played too close in the penalty area and several promising situations were wasted. Everton were more spasmodic but there was one exciting moment in the home goalmouth when Peters put the ball through for Blacksaw to pick up from the feet of Wyles. From a free kick for hands, Davies shot powerfully for Burnett to turn the ball over the cross bar. Then Meaney lost a great chance when Cater sent in a perfect centre.
Steady Defence
Bury ought to have been in front but-credit should be given to a steady Everton defence. Bury temporarily lost the services of Jones through injury, and when Everton tried to break away Wyles was offside. So far there had been little evidence of the expected Everton trap, and when Peters did win a corner Boyes cross was dealt with by Blackshaw. Though shorthanded, Bury continued to do most of the raiding and Burnett was applauded for a brilliant save at the foot of the post from Meanie. Jones returned and still the exchanges favoured Bury, Lndley was in great form for Everton, repeatedly breaking up Bury raids. Everton had done well to be on terms at the end of the half.
Half-time; Bury 0, Everton 0.
The game restarted at a lively pace. Wainwright tried a shot which was just wide, and Burnett saved splendidly from Davies. Bury came again, Burnett distinguishing himself with two magnificent saves.
It was now all Bury’s game, and Everton were lucky when Meanie dispossessed Burnett to square the ball into the goalmouth, Jackson cleared an awkward situation. More Bury attacks, and more good saves by Burnett included a brilliant one from Davies. Twelve minutes after the interval and against the run of play, Everton went ahead with a right wing move ending with Wyles scoring a good goal. Six minutes later Drury headed an equaliser from a free kick by Jones. After b73 minutes play, Wainwright put Everton ahead.

September 9, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Bury; Blackshaw, goal; Griffiths (G.), and Gorman, backs; Jones, Gemmill, and Griffths (W.), half-backs; Potts, Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Carter, forwards. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawling (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Peters (Doncaster Rovers), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield).
Bury opened the game at a terrific pace and promised to sweep Everton off their feet. Carter and Drury linked up perfectly and the movement culminated in a fast shot by Drury which Burnett saved. Later, the order was reversed, and it became carter’s turn to shoot. The left winger, however, shot high over the bar. Gorman by canny interception, held up a promising Everton attack on the right wing, and it was well that he did for the slightest slip would have let Wainwright through. Lindley, after a mis-header in front of his own goal, got out of his own difficulty by a clever and daring pass-back. Drury, Cater, and Jones were like lightning off the mark, and it took some solid work by Everton defence to keep them out. Potts was another livewire. So far, Bradshaw’s only work was a save from a shot by Wyles, whereas Burnett had to make a save from Davies, and from a free kick also he prevented a Bury goal. Bury kept Burnett busy with shots of every kind. The Everton, keeper dealt with them in confident fashion. Jones and Greenhalgh came into collision and Jones had to leave the field. He resumed, but after playing a few minutes collapsed again, and had to be assisted to the dressing room. It was bad luck for Bury, for Jones had been showing excellent form. Bradshaw, making his first save of the game so far received the applause of the 5,000 people for a really capable effort. Lindley and Grant in fact all the Everton defence, then put up a solid front to the many calls Bury made upon them, but none stood out more than Gorman. This veteran of many battles could be seen everywhere. Potts tried a shot of first time value, and the ball was only an inch or two over the crossbar a really good effort. Burnett saved what seemed to be a certain goal, pushing round the post a shot by Carter.

September 11, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Bury 1, Everton 2
Brilliant Goalkeeping
By Stork
Bury will still be wondering how they came to lose their game with Everton by 2-1 at Gigg Lane. They had over 70 per cent of the game yet dropped both points. The reason was superlative goalkeeping by Burnett. It was, however, a lucky victory for Everton. I doubt if they will ever again he so overplayed, yet win. Bury hammered the Everton defence so hard this one naturally looked for a breaking point, but Burnett and his rearguard colleagues stood their ground against everything the Bury forwards threw at them. Almost throughout the 90 minutes it was a case of Everton’s defence against the Bury forwards, and they took the honours. Lindley, Greenhalgh, Jackson, Grant and Watson battled against a non-stop attack with a gallantry when would be hard to surpass, but it was Burnett who had the final word. He was in brilliant form, and the ball which beat him –a header by Drury –did not succeed without him touching it. The Bury forwards must still be wondering how he got to some of his shots. Burnett had to leap; fling himself full length and take position for all types of shots and headers, and he did all of the three with ability and confidence.
Snap Goals
Everton’s two goals were of the snap variety. Two quick thrusts which brought goals all against the run of the play. Bury were a sound team. They made openings quickly and took them snappy. Lindley had a great game defensively. Drury, Carter, Davies and Potts were very sprightly and further behind was the veteran Gorman. He had a great deal to do with the ineffectiveness of the Everton forwards. Rawlings and Boyes were ever-dangerous and Wainwright the scorer of one goal played cleverly. Wyles scored Everton’s other goal, but was usually well held by the Bury pivot. Attendance 4,309. . Bury; Blackshaw, goal; Griffiths (G.), and Gorman, backs; Jones, Gemmill, and Griffths (W.), half-backs; Potts, Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Carter, forwards. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawling (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Peters (Doncaster Rovers), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield).
• Everton Reserves 7, Randle 1
• Liverpool drew 2-2 with Manchester City, Nieuwenhuys and Done for Liverpool and Williamson and Smith for Manchester City
• Ireland X1 4, Combined Services 8, at Belfast, Mercer, Lawton (1 Goal) and Stevenson played.

September 11, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
While Bury certainly had more of the pressure than Everton at Gigg-lane the Blues supplied the artistry of football, and as the Bury folk said afterwards, they were the better football team in the strict sense of the term. Anyway, to go to Bury without international stars like Lawton, and Stevenson and win was a feat. The first half was rather quiet and produced no goals, but things livened up later and Wyles got a good goal for the Blues. Drury, of Arsenal, equalised, and then Boyes and Peters changed places as at Maine-Road, and Eddie Wainwright, one the game’s best forwards got the winner. Burnett defied the Shakers when they were at their brightest, while the three point defence of Lindley, Jackson and Greenhalgh was perfection. Burnett and Grant suffered minor injuries in a keen game in which Everton overcame the handicap of lack of inches and weight.

September 11, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The Bury forwards will not forget the name Burnett in a hurry, for he it was who was mainly responsible for their defeat at Gigg Lane, and that after they had the major portion of the attack. I was goalkeeping of international class (writes Stork). Wise positioning, uncanny defining of what was about to happen, and safe pair of eyes and hands. All manner of shots were ably dealt with by Burnett. Really and truly it was as fine an exhibition of goalkeeping as I have seen for long time. But Burnett had great support from those in front of him for the Everton defence as a whole was a hit with every weapon the Bury forwards had but they refused to be broken. How did it come about that Everton won, considering that they were so overplayed? I have given you the most import reason, the other was that from two snap raids they penetrated the Bury goal (Wyles and Wainwright), which at other times had been little bothered to another out Everton’s advances it would be unfair not to say that those goals were all against the run of the play; they were and a split second robbed Bury of a penalty award. All the honours of this game went to Everton’s defence, but I liked the play of Wainwright and Rawlings, while Boyes (who tells me he is booked for overseas) was a jack-in-the-box and retains his form to a remarkable degree. Peters is a good footballer –rather inclined to hand on to the ball too long. He has nice control of the ball, however. If Bury had a fault it was that they sometimes over-kicked their own forwards, of whom Drury, Carter, and Potts were best. Gorman of the bald pate, must find football keeps him young for he was as good as ever I saw him.

September 12, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Logs
Everton’s hopes of completing a hat-trick of away victories will be brightened on Saturday when they again visit Bury at Gigg-lane Alex Stevenson, the Irish international inside-left, returns from Ireland to take his usual place in the attack. Let me hasten to add that peters, whose place Stevenson will take has been an outstanding success, and it is certain that had there been a vacancy in the line Peters would have had it. The Doncaster Rovers player has shown himself a craftsman of the high standard Everton always seek, and Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is delighted with him. It was a wise move on Mr. Kelly’s part to give Peters a “breather” at Maine-Road and Gigg Lane by placing him on the wing for short spells. A rest from the arduous work of inside-forward was just what Peters needed in these days of restricted training. Stevenson will again link up with his championship season partner Wally Boyes and that augurs ill for Bury whom Everton defeated 2-1 on Saturday. Maurice Lindley, who has come along to solve completely the centre-half problems borne of Tommy Jones’s injury will be available again, and the slight injuries received by Burnett and Grant will not prevent their playing. Wyles continues as deputy for Tommy Lawton, who with Joe Mercer will be on international duty at Anfield. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant. Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes.

September 12, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton away for the third Saturday running will make only one change in their side for the return game against Bury, which is being played at Gigg Lane in order to avoid a counter attraction to the international at Anfield. As Stevenson is now available after two weeks on representative duty, he resumes at inside left in place of Peters, otherwise the side is as before. Lawton is again an absentee playing for England, who will b skippered by Joe Mercer. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes.

September 14, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Gordon Boyes, 16-year-old brother of Wally Boyes, Everton’s international outside-left, will make his debut for Everton on Saturday when he appears in the Liverpool County Combination team against Marine at Goodison Park. Young Boyes has been playing trials with Sheffield Wednesday, and is regarded as a player with a bright future. Not much has been said about Everton’s voyages of discovery in the junior fields, but I can tell you that behind the scenes Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly and his staff have been doing great work and this season are reaping the fruits of the seeds sown a year ago. More than 40 years turned up at Goodison Park on Tuesday evening for training, and Mr. Kelly assures me that the material is “outstanding” merit. The Colts, Mr. Kelly describes as a great little team and one of the best he has ever seen for their age. All the newcomers to the side, with one exception are still at school. Every junior players has been studied by Mr. Kelly and progress marked and noted. Two of the last season’s outstanding Colts –Moore and Doyle –are now regular members of the reserves and will be playing against Marine. In this side also will be McCormick of Bolton Wanderers, E. Jones, who has played with Raith Rovers, Craig, who was with Albion Rovers, Robinson, a young centre forward recommended by Sam Jones the Blackpool Irish International and Rees, the former Alsop High school centre half. With these youngsters behind us Everton can look to the future with the utmost confidence, “said Mr. Kelly. “I am delighted with the enthusiasm and pro of these junior players.
Everton Reserves (v. Marine); Birkett; Moore, Doyle; Boyes, Rees, McCormick; Kinsela, Ashley, Robinson, E. Jones, Craig.
Everton Colts (v. Bromborought and District at the Rake); J.A. Jones; Devlin, Dodd; Tansey, Healey, Melling; Welsh, Taylor, Pottage, G. Hannah, Peters.
Marine; Foster; Welsby, Woodcock; Edwards, Dachier, McPeake; Greaves, O;Neill, Kelly, Fenton, Bretton.

September 15, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have the knowledge of a victory over Bury at Gigg Lane to spur them on to an effort to complete the double at the same venue. From all accounts they were a trifle fortunate last week. They must devote themselves more to attack this time –always the strongest form of defence. With Stevenson back together the loose balls, and initiate movements in his usual telling fashion, the Blues stand a good chance of recording another victory. Team; Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes.

September 16, 1944. The Evening Express
Wyles’ Goals
Everton were as selected for their second visit to Bury in successive weeks this afternoon, having Stevenson at inside left. Bury made two late changes, Watson, and Black coming in for the injured Jones and Carter. Bury; Bradshaw, goal; Hart and Gorman, backs; Watson (G.), Gemmill and Griffiths (W.), half-backs; Potts (H.J), Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Black, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield). The game started five minutes late before 3,500 spectators. Stevenson and Boyes soon combined to place Everton on the attack, but an effort to get Wyles through was unsuccessful, Bradshaw running out to pick up from the feet of the centre forward. Bury were lively in attack without being dangerous, and there was more promise in a wing to wing Everton attack. Wyles and Boyes had a scoring chance from Rawlings centre but they failed to control the ball. Everton should have gone ahead when Wyles gave Rawlings a great chance. The wingers, however, lifted the ball inches over the cross bar. Bury were trying to use the long pass down the middle, but these tactics were countered by a steady Everton defence. The most serious threat to either goal came when Boyes went through delightfully. He easily beat Hart and was in full cry for goal when Gorman came across to force the ball into touch. At the other end a long centre by Potts was not cleared by Bennett and Jackson saved a menacing situation.
First Goal
Twenty five minutes after the start from the Everton left was met the first time by Wyles, and the ball rebounded into the net the net off the far post. Everton were now in command and Bradshaw had to save from Boyes. Bury forwards could do little against a constructive defence and seven minutes after their success Everton went further ahead. Again, it was following a left wing raid and Wyles crashed home a terrific drive. Bradshaw having no chance to save. In the next minute Wainwright was put clear of every opponent, but from in front of an open goal pulled his shot yards wide. Burnett saved well when Black centred, and in another home raid Potts dropped the ball over the bar. Without being at full strength, Everton were more than holding their own, and six minutes from the interval scored a third goal, Stevenson turning the ball into the net from a Boyes centre. Three minutes from the interval Davies broke away and Burnett could only knock the centre to Drury, who reduced Bury’s arrears.
Half-time; Bury 1, Everton 3
Bury were much improved on the restart, and for some minutes kept the Everton defence at full stretch. Drury was inches too high with a fierce drive and Davies headed just wide. Burnett was several times engaged but the Bury pressure was eventually worm down and Everton were seen in a better light. Bury were fighting hard, but Lindley and his colleagues were in fine form. Twenty two minutes after the restart Rawlings scored a great goal for Everton, dribbling past several opponents before beating Bradshaw. Final Bury 1, Everton 4.

September 16, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Bury; Bradshaw, goal; Hart and Gorman, backs; Watson (G.), Gemmill and Griffiths (W.), half-backs; Potts (H.J), Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Black, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright. Everton had no team alteration at Bury, but the home side had Watson and Black in place in place of Jones and Carter . The attendance at the start was about 3,500. Wainwright was quickly in prominence, and an adopt pass through to Wyles was only stemmed with difficulty Everton were persistent for a minute or so, and Stevenson made a gallant but vain effort to dribble past Watson and Gemmill. Bury were closely watched when they essayed a couple of attacking moves although the first shot of the game came from Davies, which went over the bar. The Blues were doing more of the forcing and it seemed that they might make a scoring chance when a full line movements ended with the ball going out to Boyes, Hart however tackled him quickly and the ball was forced into touch. 25 minutes –Wyles score twice for Everton.

September 18, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Bury 1, Everton 4
Effective Forward Play
Everton complete an easy double at Bury. They were not so aggressive or persistent as Bury but gave their opponents a lesson in effective forward play. The understanding achieved by Stevenson and Boyes on the left was the highlight of the game which, though full or honest endeavour, produced only a little play of the best standard. Blessed with a sound defence in which every member was convinced, particularly Lindley at centre half, Everton even when under pressure always gave the impression they could master the home team. Their first three goals scored in the space of 14 minutes in the first half all came following smart work in the left wing. Wyles took his two chances smartly and Stevenson goal was a good one. Drury, the Arsenal player, scored for Bury just before the interval, and for a time afterwards the home team fought with great spirit. The Everton defence held fast, and Rawlings later scored a brilliant fourth midway through the second half. Wainwright should have headed at least two more goals for Everton. Grant and Watson were workmanlike half-backs and Burnett was again an exceptionally able goalkeeper. Bury; Bradshaw, goal; Hart and Gorman, backs; Watson (G.), Gemmill and Griffiths (W.), half-backs; Potts (H.J), Davies, Meaney, Drury (Arsenal), and Black, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright
• Liverpool draw against Manchester City 2-2, Dix (2) (1 Penalty), and Smith, Spronston for City

September 18, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
At Goodison Park. This game produced good fare with smart goalkeeping by Birkett (Everton) and Foster (Marine), McCormick (Bolton) who was outstanding and Thomas scored for Everton, J. Kelly (2) and O’Neill scored for Marine.

September 18, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Good class football enabled Everton to score a double over Bury at Gigg Lane. Bury were aggressive but class carried the day. The pairing of Stevenson and Boyes on the Everton left was the highlights of the game. Even when Bury were stressing their case Everton always looked capable of holding them and ultimately beating them.

September 18, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Wally Boyes, Everton’s international outside left, is suffering from cartilage trouble in the right knee, and will not be able to play again for some time. The knee broke down during the match at Gigg Lane on Saturday when Everton confirmed previous form by defeating 4-1, and so recorded a hat-trick of away wins. Boyes was merely a passenger during the second half of the game. It is a matter of speculation where Wally can get the knee attended to, but that seems to rest with the military authoritys. So the injuries come thick and heavy and the allied to the representative match calls reacts hard on the clubs. Everton rarely looked like being beaten at Bury, and delighted former colleagues, Jimmy Stein, who travelled with them, and saw so many youngsters for the first time. Wyles, with two unstoppable, and Stevenson crowded perfect approach with first half goals, and although Davies reduced, Rawlings came through with a fourth to prove that he is quite an Everton capture. Lindley and Wainwright again did grandly. Wainwright is certainly maintaining his improvement, but ...Eddie has to join the Army, shortly and that means another loss.

September 20, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
“Nodder” Tommy Lawton, the Everton captain and England centre-forward, is certain to lead Everton’s attack against Chester in the “Derby” game at Goodison Park on Saturday, when the Blues will be making their second home appearance of the season. Such is Lawton’s club spirit that he is going to break his holiday to play. After the match “Noddy” –and the name has caught on –goes back on leave. The reappearance of the skipper after two matches should enable Everton to keep up their splendid winning sequence. At the moment of writing Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly does not know the rest of the side. Billy Hughes returns to centre-half in Chester’s team, which will be chosen from the following; Scales; Corkhill; McNeill, Housam, Hughes, Harris, Lynn; Newsome, Astbury, F. Neavy, Rhodes, Blunt, Tiling.

September 21, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are set for Saturday’s Football League test, and their side showed little change. As I mentioned yesterday, “Nodder” Tommy Lawton returns to captain Everton and lead their attack against Chester at Goodison Park, and the only other change from the side which won 4-1 at Bury is the return of young George Makin, the local product to outside-left. Makin played in the games against Liverpool and Manchester United, and last Saturday had a run with the United at Stockport, doing exceptionally well. Maurice Lindley is again available for centre-half, and so we shall have a chance of welcoming back a fine player who has not appeared at his home ground for some time. It is interesting to note that with some of the Services players on leave Mr. Kelly is moving up some of his Colts like F. Jones Phil Taylor, lane, and the 18-years-old Prescot lad, Anders, into the reserve team this week. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, Makin.

September 22, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
“Nodder” Lawton is especially keen to score in this game. Fact is that Tommy has not scored for Everton this season and is all out to right the wrong. That is one of the reasons why “Nodder,” is breaking his holiday to make a special trip back to Liverpool to lead the side. We see so little of him owing to Services match calls that it will be a treat to see Lawton operating again between Stevenson and the vastly improved Wainwright. Another treat will be our first glimpse of Maurice Lindley for a couple of season or so...Maurice had come back to prove an outstanding at centre half, in fact, while he has been playing there Everton have taken majority points. Young George Makin will be at outside-left again. Boyes having gone down with cartilage, and if Makin will content himself with getting his centres over, he will serve his side well. Their match starts at three o’clock and should be a classic. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawling, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, G. Makin. Chester (from); Scales; Corkhill, McNeill; Housam, Hughes, Harris, Lunn; Newsome, Astbury, F. Neary, Rhodes, Black, Tilling.

September 22, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Chester visitors to Goodison Park, are so far unbeaten, and hope to be able to say the same when the final whistle goes tomorrow. If they can it will be an achievement for Everton, after a rather disappointing opening game have shown improvement in all departments, and will undoubtedly gain confidence following three away wins, to say nothing of the return of Lawton. Tommy has yet to register his first goal for Everton this term. If he gets the right type of support –which means putting the ball where he has at least an even chance –I think we shall see him breaking his duck this time, though he coming up once more against Billy Hughes, the “stonewall” Welsh centre half, who kept such a tight grip on him at Anfield last week. There is promise of another battle royal between them. Manager Frank Brown seems to have got together a nicely balanced side for Chester this season. To take three points out of Wrexham was no mean feat. Everton will be well advised to forget that this is a former Third Division side and all out for victory from the start;- Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawling, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, G. Makin. Chester (from); Scales; Corkhill, McNeill; Housam, Hughes, Harris, Lunn; Newsome, Astbury, F. Neary, Rhodes, Black, Tilling.
Everton Reserves introduce two of their most promising colts in the game against Carlton, at Heslby Road. These are Taylor, a 16-year-old Bromborough lad, and Anders, from Prescot. Birkett; Moore, McDonnell; Parker, Rees, Doyle; Jones (F.), Taylor (P.), Hannah (J.), Lane, Anders.

September 23, 1944. The Evening Express
Everton win 6-2
By Pilot.
Chester, who were unbeaten, provided that opposition to Everton at Goodison Park today in the welcome home after three successive away victories. Among the spectators were Tommy Jones, the club’s international centre-half who is to see a specialist again on Monday about the ankle injury which has kept him out of the game this season. Lawton came back specially from his holiday to lead the team, and Chester had Neary the Fulham amateur centre half. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Lindley and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (MIllwall), Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, G. Makin, forwards. Chester; Scales, (Manchester City), goal; Corkhill and McNeill, backs; Housam, Hughes, and Harris, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, F. Neary (Fulham), Black (Hearts), and Tilling, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Baker (Crewe). Everton began as if they really meant business and after Scales had brushed aside a centre from Rawlings, Makin made a quick short return and Stevenson’s first time header went into Scales’ hands. Astbury changed the scene of action and when Newsome was played on side by Greenhalgh, Black swung around with a shot which flashed inches over the top. Chester played lively, progressive football, and kept the Everton defence worried for some time. Newsome being unlucky with a quick shot which was deflected over the top. Lindley had to make a hurried clearance from Neary before Jackson could clear, as Chester continued to apply the pressure. Everton responded with a surprise shot by Stevenson which passed over the top and then Makin made the mistake of shooting when his inside forwards were begging for the goal chance.
Opening Goal.
Everton took the lead in 16 minutes when “Nodder” Lawton lived up to his reputation and name by making a winning opening for Wainwright. When the ball came across from the right Lawton nodded it back into the goalmouth for Wainwright to crash it into the net from six yards, his speed to the ball leaving the Chester defenders standing still. Wainwright took his shot on the full volley, Scales having no chance. In 22 minutes Chester were on terms with a lovely goal by Black. The Everton defence hacked away as Chester attacked, and suddenly Black took command, cut across to the right and drove the ball into the far corner with a magnificent right foot shot as the ball was running away from him. Hughes was keeping a tight hold on Lawton, but in 26 minutes the England leader restored Everton’s lead with a grand goal –his first in League football this season. Watson made it possible by nodding Housam and passing to Stevenson. Stevenson pushed the ball through Corkhill’s legs and then fed Lawton, who brought the ball to his left foot and gave Scales no earthly chance with a lovely drive. Everton kept up the pressure playing some really delightful football and Rawlings cut close in to give Wainwright a chance but the inside forward clean missed his kick.
Lead of Two
Everton made it three in 35 minutes through Makin. Lawton received just outside the penalty area and manoeuvred the ball this way and that, waiting for his colleagues to get into position. At the right moment Lawton slipped the ball through to Makin, who darted in and scored with a right-foot cross shot, which Scales touched but could not hold. Only a mighty one handed save by Burnett prevented Astbury from reducing the lead immediately after. Chester stopped playing appealing for off-side, and Rawlings and Scales had a race for the ball which the winger won. Rawlings pushed the ball past Scales, but Corkhill managed to come across and save his lines. Black was the menace-in-chief to the Blues and everything he did boys the hallmark of class. With better support to Black’s cute moves Everton would have found their task much more difficult. It was Black who brought Burnett full length with an excellent right foot shot. Makin had hard luck, with a header taken on the run from Rawlings’ centre, which went behind off the foot of the post.
Half-time; Everton 3, Chester 1.
Within two minutes of resuming Everton increased their lead. Lawton taking over from Stevenson’s pass to score with a right foot shot to the far corner, which Scales hardly saw. Lawton was almost there again just after, when he headed in from Jackson’s long kick, but Scales gathered the ball splendidly. The pace slackened a bit and Chester came more into the game with some full-blooded attacks, which had the Everton defence rather worried. There were few shots forthcoming but the best from Black –cannoned against Greenhalgh. Chester kept up the pressure for long spells and with Hughes keeping a tight hold on Lawton, a lot of the spring was taken out of Everton’s attack. Stevenson went through to bring Scales to full length, and then Chester’s pressure was rewarded with a fine goal by Astbury in 68 minutes. Newsome turned the ball in adroitly for Astbury –running in at top speed –to hook the ball into the roof of the net from close range.
Makin’s Second
The Cestrians maintained their siege of the Everton goal, but the defence covered magnificently, and in 71 minutes Everton went away there lore the advantage through Makin. When the ball came across to the left Makin surprised Chester by nipping in and scoring with a right foot shot, which hit the foot of the post and rolled over the line. Everton brought their total to six in 78 minutes, and once again Lawton had a hand in the proceedings. Lawton held the ball to draw the opposition. He then pushed it forward for Rawlings to go on and score at will. Final; Everton 6, Chester 2.

September 25, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 6, Chester 2
Half-Back Tactics
By Ranger
A week ago at Anfield Hughes kept so tight a hold on Lawton that he rarely had a worthwhile chance throughout the game. Unfortunately for Chester at Goodison Park on Saturday Hughes changed his tactics completely, with the consequence that Lawton not only got two goals himself, but engineered three of the others and had a leg share in the last one. Hughes made the mistake of allowing the Everton leader too much scope. Instead of playing on top of him he gave him time and space to get the ball under control, and it proved a costly tactical error. Though there was no denying Everton’s superiority the score of 6-2 in their favour did scant justice to Chester who were much better than the result suggests. They promised good things in the early stages, faded out towards the interval, and then came with a rush when Everton slacked off slightly midway through the second half. They had the home defence at full stretch for some fairly lengthily periods yet the solidity and understanding of the Everton rearguard was rarely upset and when it was Burnett was there to make some brilliant particularly from Tilling and Astbury in the first half.
The Goals.
Everton got the first goal, after fifteen minutes, scored by Wainwright, but made by Lawton. Black equalised with the best effort of the day –though each of Lawton’s ran it close –and Everton went ahead through Lawton and Makin before half-time. Scales being at fault with the latter’s point. Lawton, Astbury, Makin and Rawling scored in the second half, and though that left Stevenson the only home forward not to find the net, in actual fact he shared the honours with Lawton for the best exhibition of the day. He provided the passes which each of the centre-forward’s goals and was the starting point of most of Everton’s attack. Everton’s forwards played with balance and understanding and their defence was good, though Grant took some time to come to his best. Chester provided some attractive football, nothing being better than the dovetailing of Harris and Black and the wholehearted work of Astbury. Hughes did some clever things despite his failure to subdue Lawton but was a trifle too nonchalant. Neary was too well held by Lindley to shine. Attendance 16,145. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Lindley and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (MIllwall), Wainwright, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, G. Makin, forwards. Chester; Scales, (Manchester City), goal; Corkhill and McNeill, backs; Housam, Hughes, and Harris, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, F. Neary (Fulham), Black (Hearts), and Tilling, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Baker (Crewe).
• Carlton 2, Everton Reserves 4
• Liverpool lost to Crewe 4-1, Welsh, for Liverpool and Robinson, Chandler, Basnet, McCormick

September 25, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
More than 16,000 people turned up at Goodison Park on Saturday to see a rousing match between Everton and Chester. The Blues won well 6-2, and so jump into the lead amongst the Merseyside area clubs and sixth in the northern chart. Apart entirely from the fact that Tommy Lawton demonstrated in this game that he is the greatest centre forward the game has produced in years. The lesson was that Scotland simply cannot afford to leave out Andy Black of Hearts and Chester from her Wembley team. The more I see of Black the better I like him. Black got Chester’s first goal and with better support from the wingers might have reduced the margin of goals against without being able to stem the Everton victory. In the first minute it was standing out a mile that Everton would win but Chester put up a great fight to delight Vice Chairman Mr. Harry Mansley, Alderman Frank Price, and the Chief Constable of Chester (Mr. Tom Griffiths) who came along at the head of a sizeable band of enthusiasts Chester gained honours in defeat and on this showing are a team of whom I expect big things Black was the inspiration behind much grand forward work which, however lacked the dynamic finishing of Everton. The Cestrians brightest moments came during one period in the second half when Everton began to have “an easy” Chester battled back from 4-1 with a spirit which thrilled, and it was not until Astbury had taken an excellent goal that Everton realised that they still had the match to win. When the Blues crammed on sail again it was all over but for fighters commend me to Chester, for whom I though Corkhill and Harris magnificent. Hughes stuck to Lawton well, but by so doing rather neglected others duties, and so we saw unnecessary loopholes. Housam had a great second half, but as a team Chester were not quite up to the Everton high standard.
Youth Succeeds
Leaving for a moment the brilliance of Lawton, Stevenson, Greenhalgh, Watson, Jackson, and the seasoned players, the most gratying feature of Everton’s play was the success of the newer element. Rawlings for instance was instance was a scintillating winger who is proving a real capture and Maurice Lindley’s dominance at centre-half welded together a defence without the slightest flaw. Lindley always adopted the safely tactics and yet brought much to the Tommy Jones artistry to bear in his work. Then there were Eddie Wainwright and George Makin, the boys Everton have brought along in their junior ranks. Wainwright is one of the most improved youngsters I have seen for a long time, for on Saturday he was a diligent grater a lad with courage to hold the ball and create, and ever ready to “have a go,” Wainwright has arrived, Makin justified the faith the club has in him. His one really mistake was wiped of the slate by two good goals and much neat field play. Makin is worth persevering with for a game or two before getting rest. Too many good lads are ruined by being played too much in the senior team, and rest spells, should be part of the plan of development. Grant’s defensive work was again inspiring, while Burnett, Jackson, and Greenhalgh were a perfect defence. Stevenson and Watson were grand but towering above all was Lawton who scored two brilliant goals with high powered drives and “made” the other four which went to Makin (2), Wainwright and Rawlings.

September 25, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s victory over Chester puts them sixth in the table and leaders of the Merseyside contingent. I won’t say the result flattered Everton so much as it failed to do justice to Chester, which is a distinction with a difference. Chester were far better than the score indicates, and gave us some clever football, though minus Everton’s striking power of good fortune in front of goal. Had their defence not made the fatal tactics error of giving Lawton too much time and space in which to work the ball, there would have been little in it at the finish. At Anfield the previous week Bill Hughes smothered Lawton every time the ball came near him. At Goodison he hung off time and again, being seemingly to amble through the game in the nonchalant fashion of Tommy Jones. But Jones is in a class by himself when it comes to this sort of thing, and Hughes paid dearly for his temerity, for Lawton not only got two grand goals himself, but engineered three others for Wainwright and Makin (2) and had a hand as well on the one scored by Rawlings. Stevenson though a non-scorer shared the honours with Lawton and Black as outstanding forwards of the day, while Makin put up the best shot I have seen from him so far. Stevenson provided the passes which brought Lawton his goals, gave a brilliant all-round display and proved that those who have been writing of as Finished” have been speaking very much out of turn. Lindley appears to have solved the centre half problem until Jones returns and Everton were more together as a team than they have been for some time. There were periods when they had the Chester defence dizzy by their footwork, ball control and speedily combination but what I liked most was their willingness to have a shot whenever the opportunity occurred.

September 29, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are going great guns these days. They visit Chester at Sealand Road Stadium tomorrow, and will be striving for their fifth successive win and their second “double” of the season. The only changes from the side beating Chester 6-2 last week is Wyles for Tommy Lawton at centre-forward, while Chester will lack services of vital players in Billy Hughes and Black. Chester are a better side than last week’s score suggests but if Wyles snap up his chances in characteristic style I think Everton will smash Chester’s ground record as they did their unbeaten record. However, Chester are a nice, progressive side who might stop the sensation run of the Blues with more accuracy to bear in finishing. It should be a fine game, bringing at least 10,000 spectators to the Stadium. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, G. Makin. Chester (from); Scales; Corkhill, McNeill; Housam, Lunn, Williams; Newsome, Astbury, Webb, Harrison, Brinton, Tilling.

September 29, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Had Everton been able to field the same side as last week for the return against Chester, I should have had hesitation in tipping them to win. As it is, I fear they may miss the guidance influence of Lawton, of Lawton, who did so much to weld the attacks into a team affair. If Wyles cam till the ball to the same extent then Everton’s chance will still be bright, though they will have to take no liberties against Chester’s sprightly forwards, who on their day can be a deadly combination. With Lindley filling the centre half position so well, however, Everton have regained their confidence and understanding in defence and Chester will find the way to goal a difficult road. The crux of the game seems to me to be in the ability of the Everton attack to maintain its balance and shooting ability with Lawton. . Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Lindley, Watson; Rawlings, Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson, G. Makin. Chester (from); Scales; Corkhill, McNeill; Housam, Lunn, Williams; Newsome, Astbury, Webb, Harrison, Brinton, Tilling.

September 30, 1944. The Evening Express
Chester Duel
Everton were as selected for the return game at Chester. The home side attack were led by the amateur E. Webb. Pincott (Bournemouth) and Brinton (Derby County), were making their first appearance for Chester this season. Chester; Scales (Manchester City), goal; Lunn, and McNeill, backs; Housam, Pincott (Bournmouth), and Corkhill, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, Webb, Harris and Brinton (Derby), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson and Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Lawless (Bury). Chester made a quick raid on the left and there was danger to the Everton goal when Harris centred into the goalmouth. The chance for the inside forwards was very slight and the Everton defenders got the ball away. Chester came again on the opposite wing, but Burnett had little difficulty in picking up a centre from Newsome. Neither side could make much headway for several minutes; but Chester had the more progressive ideas. Burnett had to dive full length to save from Webb at the foot of the post, and he hurt himself in the process. In eleven minutes Wainwright gave Everton the lead, shooting through a crowd of players. Chester had been on top to this point, and Scales had not had a shot to deal with. Webb had a glorious chance to level the scores when he was through the Everton defence, but he shot straight at Burnett. After 18 minutes Wyles increased the Everton lead. Rawlings cut in and gave Wainwright possession on the wing. Wainwright put over a perfect centre and Wyles raced in to give Scales no chance with a nice header. Scales made a good save from a rising shot from Stevenson, and Burnett intercepted a close range centre from Brinton.
Steady Defence.
Harris was prominent with a good header, which Burnett gathered under the bar. The defence on both sides was steady, and there was long periods when neither attack could get in a shot. Scales came into action to collect a header from Stevenson, but it was one which lacked power and gave him no trouble. Everton’s passing was superior to that of Chester, and several times they swept from one end of the field to the other without being able to bring the moves to a satisfactory conclusion.
Chester 0, Everton 2.
Chester reduced the lead in the first minute after the re-start. Astbury beat Burnett with a rising shot after the goalkeeper had made two fine saves. Burnett had previously turned a header from Brinton against the bar and had pushed out another close range shot. Two minutes later Everton went away on the right and Stevenson netted with a low shot from close in. Wyles added a fourth for Everton five minutes later, taking advantage of a pass from Wainwright to beat Scales with a shot along the ground. Watson was injured and was carried off.

September 30, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Chester fans were disappointed at the absence of Lawton and Hughes because of Service international calls, but about 5,000 spectators gave the teams a good welcome when they turned out as selected which in itself was refreshing. Everton had Wyles as deputy to Lawton, while Chester were rather boldly giving his first senior game to E. Webb, one of their young amateur now in the R.A.F and home on leave. Brinton the Derby County player, was making his first appearance for Chester this season. Chester; Scales (Manchester City), goal; Lunn, and McNeill, backs; Housam, Pincott (Bournmouth), and Corkhill, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, Webb, Harris and Brinton (Derby), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Lindley, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Wainwright, Wyles, Stevenson and Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Lawless (Bury). Chester went all out from the start, and for a time set the pace. Harris sent the ball across the goal, but Webb and Astbury failed to gather it. Wyles was being well watched and was given few chances. His counter-part Webb came into the picture with a grand shot, which called upon Burnett to make a full length save. Everton gained a corner and the ball was sent out to near the corner flag. Following the throw-in Rawlings centred and Wainwright scored for Everton with a first-time drive. Another first-class shot be Webb struck Burnett and came back into play. The game was warming up well, and play was very evenly distributed. Wyles scored a second for Everton –seventeen minutes.







September 1944