Everton Independent Research Data


September 1, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Newcastle United 4, Everton 0
Without detracting from Newcastle’s sound win over Everton the margin was undoubtedly amplified by faulty, goal-keeping Burnett although making many fine saves, came out at the wrong time for three of the goals and a simple looking lob into the net caused the other. Apart from this, the main difference was that a Newcastle, though inferior in craft, were more direct in approach and showed far greater fighting spirit. If Everton’s policy of deliberately falling back in defence and allowing wingers to come through unchallenged to the goal area is allowed to continue, they are in for more defeats. Mitchell, Newcastle’s best forward, was made to look much better than he really was through this fault, yet when Saunders did decide to make a tackle the Everton back usually came off best. Time and again in the first half Everton had Newcastle’s defence completely baffled by delightful carpet weaving, but it was negative and seldom produced dangerous movements. Wainwright and Fielding were guilty of holding the ball too long and when disposed rarely fought hard to retain it. The wingers were often well covered, before an inside pass reached them, and they, too suffered in the general goal area lethargy.
Belated Shot
Almost 30 minutes elapsed before Everton had their first shot (Wainwright) which spin off Brennan for a corner. Everton really had sufficient chance to pile up a respectable first half but their finishing was poor. Newcastle, by comparison lacked Everton’s polish but were always more progressive. Their attack moved forward by the shortest methods and never hesitated to take a scoring chance. When everything was lost, and four goals down with everything to gain, Everton’s inside men tried acting as additional defenders instead of concentrating on attack. Tommy Jones was the best man on the field. He held Milburn effectively and got his backs and goalkeeper out of many difficult situations. Even from the Press box one could hear him trying to rally his men in the second half. Two minutes after the start Robledo caught Burnett in two minds with a header, for Newcastle’s first goal, Milburn added a second with a swirling lob from the left wing after 48 minutes. Burnett helped a centre from Walker into the net for the third after 50 minutes and Mitchell got the fourth after 63 minutes. Newcastle United; Fairbrother, goal; Craig and Batty, backs; Houghton, Brenna and Dodgin, half-backs; Walker, Robledo, Milburn, Lowrie, and Mitchell, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain) and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding and Eglington, forwards.

September 1, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
There was little to choose between the two sides. O’Neill in the Everton goal dealt with shots in grand style. Everton took the lead after 55 minutes through Higgins following a good run by Jones, Sidley equalized direct from a free kick.

September 1, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Radar’s comments on Everton’s first defeat. He writes “The vital difference between the teams at St. James’s was that Everton took six moves to accomplish what Newcastle did in two. In addition, United always went to the ball what time Everton waited for it to come to them. At times the Everton forwards produced really attractive approach work, but with McIntosh suppressed by Brennan, and Wainwright strangely quiet, there was no marksman to trouble Fairbrother. Within two minutes Robledo scored a simple a goal as did Lowrie at Goodison last week (it was a replica), Burnett had an unhappy game generally. He was beaten by Milburn lib in 42 minutes and in 50 minutes, in saving, turned a Walker cross into his own goal as he was challenged by Milburn. In 63 minutes he left his goal to clear and Walker centre gave Mitchell the easiest of chances to score. The entire Everton defence was shaky and that includes Jones. The Blues never held the United wingers in a poor display which may not have reflected the true merit of Everton, but which made Newcastle look an extremely good side.

September 1, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Everton lost their unbeaten record at Newcastle because every one of their clever forwards was a penalty area failure. Much of their ground work was delightfully accurate, but nullified to a large extent by finishing movements five yards further back than where they started, and thus played into the hands of a defence, which did not stand on ceremony. Newcastle were not four goals the better side, but errors on the part of Burnett were largely responsible. Perhaps he was unsighted when Milburn swerving shot got the second goal but he certainly came out at the wrong time when Robledon’s header beat him two minutes after the start, Walker’s centre, which he helped into the ent was low-powered and should have stayed in his goal when Mitchell got the fourth. A goalkeeper cannot afford so many costly mistakes in one match, even if they were compensated for somewhat by other fine saves. Had he been badly covered there might have been some but apart from failure to tackle Newcastle wingers until late in the game, Saunders and Dugdale were good backs and the superb defence of Tommy Jones was the outstanding feature of a tussle which never rose to great heights. Newcastle gave their opponents an object lesson in cutting out the thrills, Houghton and Dodgin were never the equal of Farrell’s and Lello in constructive work, and Wainwright and Fielding should certainly have responded better to their prompting Farrell, to particular had a penchant for carrying the ball into Newcastle’s penalty area, only to see the three inside men inter-passing ten yards out instead of allowing the most favourably placed to take the shots.

September 2, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Huddersfield Town, visitors to Goodison Park tomorrow, appear to be booked for another stern fight against relegation, for the fourth season in succession. Despite their heavy defeat at Newcastle, Everton should get a couple of points from the Leeds Road folk. Huddersfield are missing the guidance of Peter Doherty who did so much to keep them in the upper sphere in previous years. Peter is now player –manager of Doncaster Rovers. Another player missed by the Yorkshire club is Karl Aage Hansen, the Danish international inside forward. The solitary newcomer to the Huddersfield team during the close season is Ron Burke at one time on Liverpool’s books, and later with Manchester United. He may solve one of Huddersfield’s big problems that of a forceful centre forward, but the side though a team of hard players still lacks stability, particularly in defence. The attack has started off better than last season, but goals on the credit side are not much help if too many are sacrificed to the opposition. Already Hudderfield have had twelve put past them in four matches. Everton have made one change Sagar for Burnett in goal; Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Hudderfield Town; Mills; Hepplewhite, Stewart; Whittaker, Percival, Boot; McKenna, Hassell, Burke, Nightingale, Metcalfe.

September 2, 1949. Evening Express
Everton Half-Backs May Outwit Them
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Huddersfield Town visit Goodison Park tomorrow to face Everton and seek their first win of the season. Football is still being challenged by the concluding games of the cricket season, but more than 100,000 will see the League games, despite the fact that Everton went down 4-0 at Newcastle on Wednesday, there should be fully 50,000 people to see their tilt with Town. Huddersfield also were beaten on Wednesday, when they went down 4-1 at Fulham. Compared with Wednesday side Huddersfield have Hepplewhite at half back for Batty; Percival at centre half at Whiitaker is at right half. Both Town’s away games have brought 4-1 defeats, for they went down at Blackpool in the opening day and then played two 2-2 draws at home against Fulham and Middlesbrough. Everton never struck their real true form at Newcastle, where most clubs will get the same in the way of points and I expect them to swing back into their sparkling best tomorrow. Last season the visit of Huddersfield brought the start of Everton’s victory run at home, where the Blues have defeated Newcastle and drew with Liverpool. Sagar resumes in goal for Everton following injury in the first match of the season. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Hudderfield; Mills; Hepplewhite, Stewart; Whittaker, Percival, Boot; McKenna, Hassell, Burke, Nightingale, Metcalfe. Huddersfield posses one of the most dangerous centre-forwards in the game in Ron Burke formely of the United. Everton should win, for I think the Blues half-backs will outwit the craft in the Town team.
• Everton “A” v Liverpool “A” at Bellefield

September 3, 1949. The Evening Express
Ted Sagar, Everton’s 21-season goalkeeper makes his first appears of the season when Everton oppose Huddersfield Town at Goodison Park . He was given a grand welcome in honour of his 415 appearances in Football League games. Sagar appearance for Burnett was the only change, the remainder being that which had played in all five games this season. Huddersfield seeking their first win introduced Percival, a youngster from Tunbridge Wells, at centre half, Hepplewhite going to right back. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Hudderfield Town; Mills, goal; Hepplewhite and Stewart, backs; Percival, and Boot, half-backs; McKenna, Hassell, Burke, Nightingale, and Metcalfe, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmons of Stoke-on-Trent. Everton made a promising opening thanks to Fielding’s crossfield pass. Fielding combined cleverly with Wainwright who went through to take an eighteen yarder with his left foot which passed a foot outside as Mills dived across. Fielding made two galliant attempts before Metcalfe got away to centre to the near post where Sagar made a safe catch. The clearance saw Corr survive two tackles by Stewart and Boot and he got his centre across only to see Hepplewhite’s height win the day. Metcalfe’s was mushy again and although he tried to bring variety with a low centre, Sagar was not deceived. Eglington, Fielding and McIntosh combined cleverly only for Percival to pip Fielding as “Nobby” was going through.
Everton lead
Everton took the lead in seven minutes through Wainwright and although he would say “thank you” to Eglington for the main chance he would spare a thought of gratitude for the doggedness’ of Corr and the choiceness of an effectual Fielding pass. Corr came back to defy Metcalfe’s challenge and get the ball away to Farrell and Wainwright and it was placed quickly across field for Fielding to drew Hepplewhite and put Eglington through unchallenged. Eglington waited to allow Wainwright to dash in at full pelt and take the short pass and centre on his forehead and gave Mills no chance. Everton should have been two up form a corner on the right, Eglington did the right thing in trying to place his header but it was a little too high; caught him high up and so went over the top. The 14th minute should have brought another goal to Everton, who were playing the Town to a standstill by the speed and accuracy of their passing. Eglington slipped the ball inside beautifully for Wainwright to come to inside left; to swerve past Pepplewhite and as Mills advanced Wainwright tried to sheer the ball with his left foot just inside the far post, but it rolled outside. Stewart tackled Wainwright from behind as Percival moved in and the referee was right on the spot to award a penalty. Wainwright took this and the ball was in the net before Mills had a chance to move.

September 3, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Early Goals Unbalanced the Yorkshire Side
Sagar Aagin a Bulwark
Everton 3, Hudderfield Town 0
By Stork
Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Hudderfield Town; Mills, goal; Hepplewhite and Stewart, backs; Percival, and Boot, half-backs; McKenna, Hassell, Burke, Nightingale, and Metcalfe, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmons of Stoke-on-Trent. Huddersfield were at one time one of the most attractive teams in the division. Much of their glory has gone, and they have had terrific fights during the last few seasons to stay among the seniors. They came to Goodison today with a much-changed side in the hope that they would bring off victory which would be their first of the season. Everton showed only one change this being Sagar for Burnett. Sagar making his first appearance since the injury at Middlesbrough. The attendance was not particularly large, but it was quite good. Everton started off with a nice spot of by-play between Fielding and Wainwright which culminated in Wainwright shooting rather tamely into the waiting hands of Mills. Wainwright obviously had not got full command of the ball which Fielding delivered to him. Hudderfield, defending the Gwlady’s Street goal had to face the brilliant sun and for some minutes it was Everton who were mainly in the picture. The Town, however, at last broke the grip of the Everton halves, and Metcalfe centred almost from the touchline into Sagar’s hands.
Closing the Door
Huddersfield had one or two tall ones, in their side and Hassell used his length to get a ball over to McKenna. The latter’s centre provided the Everton defence with a chance to show its cover for when the ball travelled over Jones’s head Saunders was waiting behind to close the door for the Huddersfield attack. Fielding and Wainwright changed positions and the former tried to place his partner, but was not quite accurate with his push-though pass. But the next time the Everton left wing came into prominence it ended in an Everton goal. Wainwright started the business and it was Wainwright who ended it. The Everton inside right put the ball right across field to Eglington who was free from all interference and the Irishman acknowledge the pass by dropping across a centre which landed right on Wainwright’s head and was them on route for goal just under the bar. This was at 6 minutes.
Missed The Target
Everton were inclined to play rather too close, yet from one of their advances a ball was headed out to Eglington who had it back in the centre, but the Town defence stood firm against this one. Corr was being exploited by Wainwright and Farrell, and when Corr slung his corner kick right across the Town goal Eglington was left with all the goal to head into, but he missed the target entirely. The next few minutes belonged to Everton and when the Town defence were caught napping and Wainwright had bored a hole in it, the Everton inside forward was again rather tender with his shot, which was taken on the turn. Sagar was confidence itself, and the way he took a Metcalfe cross was the work of a real artist. There did not seem to be any great skill in the Town side and the biggest danger to Everton was Metcalfe. But he got only few chances but made the best of them. Everton went further ahead at 16 minutes via the penalty spot. Wainwright was going through when he was brought down by Stewart. Wainwright was given the task of taking the spot kick and he put the ball well wide of Mill’s left hand. There is no doubt that Wainwright cam take penalties. I cannot remember him missing one. The greatness of Ted Sagar may be imagined by the fact that he was on the move in anticipation of a Nightingale shot, which ultimately came. And it was a mighty drive this former Sheffield United player drove in. But Sagar managed to turn it round the upright.
Sagar’s Confidence
This was no classic, in fact there was a lot of tame football, but there was no doubt that Everton were the better team. Huddersfield seemed to have no heart, and their defence was rather easily prised open. Dugdale fouled McKenna and from the free kick Sagar was again seen in a brilliant light when he caught a cross ball with the greatest of confidence and ease. Nightingale had a shot cannoned out and the ball went out to Melcafe but the latter shot outside. Wainwright gave one the impression that he wanted to score again but this time at the other end, for he scooped a ball high over the Everton crossbar. Fielding was delivering the goods in the form of passes, and he put McIntosh through, but the Everton centre forward had to work the ball over to his left foot before he could make his shot which crashed against the side netting. Wainwright and Fielding joined up in a movement which had much to commend it, even though it did not succeed, for Fielding’s lob over Percival’s head almost came off. Had it done so, Wainwright would have been through to a certain goal. Farrell, with a long-the-line-pass gave Corr the opportunity to show his worth. The former Preston winger offered a good-length centre, but Eglington had run just a shade too far forward, and the ball passed behind him. Burke who was signed from Manchester United, had little opportunity to shine, for Jones was much too wary for him, although he did get in a weak shot which was no trouble for Sagar. Fielding again put Wainwright through and the inside right realizing that there was no one to pass to, decided to go on his own. But he was eventually beaten by weight of numbers. Burke got an ovation when he cleverly scoopd a ball away from Dugdale and Sagar had to act quickly to keep it out of the net.
Half-time; Everton 2, Huddersfield Town nil.
The first two or three minutes of the second half were rather anxious ones for Huddersfield Town, and how their goal escaped falling a third time no one will ever know. After Wainwright had tried to bustle his way through Jones, Fielding, and Corr, linked up in a movement which had the Yorkshiremen’s defence in a tangle. To get out of it a foul was perpetrated on Wainwright. This led to even more serious trouble, for Farrell’s free kick landed close in to goal, and McIntosh seemed certain to notch goal number three. He hit the ball with plenty of power, but unfortunately it was directed straight at goalkeeper Mills who saved.
Desperate Defence
The trouble for the Town did not end at that, for the ball was flung out to Eglington who scooped it back into the goalmouth and Wainwright made a gliding sort of header which appeared as though it would find its billet. The Huddersfield defence, however, more by sheer desperation than anything else saved the situation. Town then came into the picture and tested the Everton defence. There may not have been a lot of craft about them, but they certainly had drive, and Nightingale should have done better than he did when he shot tamely at Sagar. Hassell was hurt, and after receiving attention on the field at the hands of the trainer a stretcher was called for, and he was taken off. This was a big blow to the Town but it did not prevented them from attacking and Nightingale once shot against Jones’s legs and Sagar had to save a Mercalfe’s shot. The Everton forwards were now finding the Huddersfield defence more harden and more difficult to beat and Mills had been without a call for quite a time. Corr might have been wiser had he tried a shot instead of passing inside where there was a strong gathering of Huddersfield defenders,. He did get the ball through to Fielding who in turn thought McIntosh better placed but as the Everton centre forward shot he found his way barred by Percival. One of the strangest things in the game was to see Eglington and the Town goalkeeper, Mills tussling for the ball well outside the penalty area. When Mills was beaten downfall looked to be his portion. But instead of someone trying a shot the ball slipped across the field without anyone making contact and by this time Mills had got back into position and was ready for the back pass Hepplewhite made to relieve the pressure. Straight from this Huddersfield attacked, and Nightingale came along with the best shot of the game, Sagar taking the ball to his body as a safety measure. This was without a doubt Huddersfield’s best attempt at goal-making.
Everton Hit Back
Wainwright forced a corner, and when Jones came along to assist his header, rather wide of the goal, only just failed to touch McIntosh who had run up. Everton again got the measure of Huddersfield and McIntosh with a square ground pass gave Fielding a chance to make one of his now all too seldom shots. He hit a beauty, and such was the power of it that the ball knocked Hepplewhite right off his feet. But the situation had been saved. Wainwright scored his hat-trick for Everton at 88 minutes. Final; Everton 3, Huddersfield Town 0.

September 3, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Huddersfield Town; E. Bennington, goal; Briggs and Battye, backs; Longsdale, Thompson and Morgan, half-backs; Pennington, Taylor, Rogers, Glazzard, and Morton, forwards. Everton Res; O’Neill, goal; Clinton and Rankin, backs; Moore, Humphreys and Grant, half-backs; Jones, Powell, Catterick, Higgins and Parker, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Dykes (Manchester). Everton took the imitative with some neat football, in which both Catterick and Parker were outstanding. Powell forced Pennington to bring off a driving save with a fine low drive. Huddersfield opened the scoring. From a free-kick, Taylor headed a fine goal after ten minutes. Everton continued to play the better football, but the equalizer eluded them up to half-time. Half-time; Huddersfield Res 1, Everton Res 0. Full Time; Huddersfield Town Res 3, Everton Res 2.
Everton “A” v. Liverpool “A”
Shields opened Liverpool’s account after eight minutes play. Cronin put in a strong shot that was nicely saved by Ashcroft. Everton played well, but could not overcome the strong Liverpool defence. Glazzard scored a second for Liverpool. Half-time; Everton “A” 0, Liverpool “A” 2.

September 5, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Everton 3, Huddersfield Town 0
This was a one-man affair so far as scoring was concerned. Had one or two of the other Everton forwards been up to Wainwright’s standard Huddersfield’s defeat would have been more pronounced. I am afraid that the Yorkshiremen are in for another worrying time. They are still without a win and after seeing them truly beaten by Everton, I am not surprised at their low position. There was no power in their attack and in defence they had not sufficient cover and were easily rattled. Everton showed them the way to make advances, by good combination switches and the unexpected pass. These factors were foreign to Huddersfield. Was it surprising they were on the receiving end most of the first half when Everton should have taken a more commanding lead than two Wainwright goals. Everton engineered enough opening during that period to have built up an unapproachable score. Huddersfield except for a short spell in the second half when Hassell was off with a strained ligament gave the Everton defence its most testing moments. Even then Sagar’s work in the main was the cutting out of balls from the wing. He did make one superlative save from Nightingale, the one man Sagar had to fear. Burke rarely got away from the grip of Jones placed upon him.
Metcalfe’s Centres.
Even Metcalfe’s (whose name is linked up with Arsenal) did not have a great match, although he was responsible for many fine centres. Everton seem to have found a trust worthy penalty taker in Wainwright. He cracked his spot kick right away from Mills. The first goal was of his own making, for he started the movement which culminated in Eglington sweeping the ball in the goalmouth so that he (Wainwright) could dash in and head into the net. Wainwright’s third goal was a first-class example of dash. He picked up a Corr pass, whipped round the opposing defenders, and then shot obliquely for the far side of the net. Mills was helpless but Hepplewhite, who had twice previously saved on the line, dashed in and tried to record a “hat-trick” of saves. He could do no more than smash his intended clearance against the upright, the ball slewing to the back of the net. I though Fielding had his best game. He slipped passes to all sides of him, and he and Wainwright were the pick of the Everton forwards. The defence was easily capable of holding down a Huddersfield attack, which was a thing of shreds and patches.

September 5, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Tanks to Wainwright’s hat-trick Everton gained a decisive victory over Huddersfield Town in a game in which occasions dull patches were interspersed among some thrilling stuff. But Everton must guard against an old tendency of theirs, that is the fault of slacking off and taking matters easily once they have established a lead which appears to be sufficient. Some seasons ago this habit of coming to a foregone conclusion at too early a stage in the proceedings cost them dearly several times. Against Huddersfield, happy in the possession of a two goal lead in 16 minutes, Everton apparently decided there was nothing more to worry about. Gradually they forsook their open passing, came for close pattern-weaving which while-pretty at times to watch reduced the forward lines efficiency and lightened the r
Load of Huddersfield’s defence. In the second half Huddersfield began to realize that they had a fighting chance after all. They threw themselves into attack with such vigour and determination that for long stretches they were definitely the more aggressive side. Even the absence of Hassell, taken off on a stretcher with a pulled ankle ligament 25 minutes from the end, did not greatly affect their fighting qualities, and but for some excellent saves by Sagar, Everton might have suffered a rude shock. Towards the end Huddersfield ran themselves out in the sultry and stamina-sapping conditions and a final goal to Wainwright, completing his hat-trick, sealed the issue safety in the last few minutes. Wainwright, whose speed and dash paid good dividends, might easily have achieved one of the most curious hat-trick in football history, for after his second goal he almost put one into the Everton net while helping to stem a Huddersfield attack. Sagar gave another splendid display. How he grown in grace and confidence with the passenge of the years! Everton’s backs were fairly reliable but it was the half-back line that was the foundation of victory. Fielding as usual was the forward schemer-in-chief. More than anybody else he realized the need for a variation of tactics, and frequently attempted to open up play by cross passes. While McIntosh and the extreme wingers were not quite at their best, the former at least contributed materially to the disorganization of Huddersfield’s defence by his swift interchanges with his colleagues, Eglington was twice remiss in front of goal with easy chances.

September 8, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Manchester City 0, Everton 0
I suppose it is highly satisfactory to take a point from an away ground, but the manner of the taking is the thing that counts. Everton got a half share at Maine Road, last night because Manchester City were no better in front of goal, than them. If anything the City had the better chances, but their forward line had no more striking power than that of Everton. The game tacked pep and need of a goal to bring it to life. There were too many dull moments with a crowd of 27,000 people yearning for something to shout about. It was a match in which the defence’s were supreme and if I say that neither goalkeeper had anything extraordinary to do, I am only stating the truth. Sagar, had the more to do for he had two shots to save of merit from Linacre and Oakes, but against that Swift had little or nothing to do, such was the paucity of the Everton attack. Even Wainwright could not get a crack at goal. At least he did not get one on the target. He was too well watched and the only time he looked like adding to his goal tally was when Corr slipped a short pass through to him and Wainwright shot as it came to him only to see it pass outside.
Supreme Lacking
Much of the football was played on the ground, and there were one or two nice movements, but no surprise move which would have the effect of breaking down the opening defence. The City were the more aggressive side, and with a marksman of any account they should have taken the lead early on, but in stating that I must confess that the Everton defence gave them little rope. There was an occasion, however, when Oakes should have scored after the ball hand bandled about in front of the Everton goalmouth, but his shot was deflected on to Sagar. The City will claim that they should have had a penalty and I think they would have been justified, for Dugdale handled or “shouldered” the ball well inside the area, but the referee said “No” to the City’s claim. A little later Sagar saved from Oakes in sprakling manner. The outside left shot strongly for the far side of the goal, but Sagar shot his left hand out and turned the ball away. It was not a game that will live in history, and in fact, many would rather forget it than remember it. Teams; Manchester City; Swift, goal; Williams and Westwood, goals; Walsh, Fagan, and Murray, half-backs; Linacre, Munro, Smith, Black, and Oakes, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. E. Plinston, Stockton Heath.
• Everton Reserves 2, Manchester City Reserves 1

September 8, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
There is something about a mid-week evening match. It does not seem to have the same appeal. It is not “pepped” up like a Saturday game for some reason or other. Last night’s game at Maine Road was exceptionally tame. Was it the humid heat of the evening? It was clammy just to sit and watch. To win a point away from home is always gratifying to the visitors, and on that score Everton will be satisfied with a goalless draw, but the spectators, 27,000 of them, wanted something more than that. They signed again for something to cheer about. They didn’t get it, for neither set of forwards could muster a shot likely to bring about the downfall or two such able custodian as Sagar and Swift. The latter had least to do for Sagar had a couple of saves to make that bore the hall-mark, but in the main the defences were in charge. Both sides kept the ball to turf as much as they could and at times they introduced some good passing movements, but they were all out of the “book” easily read by the opposition hence the absence of a goal. What was required was a surprise move; a pass to an unexpected point, a point that would rend the defence asunder. It rarely came so the odds were on the defenders. The City always looked the more dangerous side, but even they are woefully weak near goal. Swift could not have had more than a couple of shots to save, which tells in a nutshell just how Everton’s attack was handled. There was no “bite” in it. Where was Wainwright’s power drive. “Not there, gentleman “No Doubt” Jock Thomson had marked “Eddie” card for his defenders. At all events we did not see the dynamic burst through that procured him a “hat-trick” last Saturday. He had one shot which passed wide, and it came from a similar chance which gave him his third goal against Huddersfield –a short low pass from Corr Everton’s best forward. To the defence goes all the credit for this half share for to be quite frank there seemed little likehood of a goal coming from any quarter. I think the City have found a good ‘un in young Munro, the former Waterford inside forward. He has an eye for an opening and a pass to go along with it. Frank Swift amazed me in the first minute by missing in the manner of a novice a cross from Corr. Had Sagar made such an error when Oakes crashed in an oblique shot Everton would have been beaten. Sagar’s one-handed punch was the highlight of the game.

September 9, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton away to Portsmouth, have unhappy memories of last season’s encounter with the champions, who won the two games by an aggregate of 9-0. Portsmouth, however, have not started this campaign where they left off the old one. Two wins out of six matches it not championship form, and even at home they have got but a single point from their games against Manchester City (drawn) and Blackpool (Lost). Their defence has already conceded as many goals as it did up to the end of October a year ago, and apart from the Middlesbrough game, the attack has not sparkled. Everton’s rearguard continues to bear the brunt of the Blues “burden.” There is still for greater punch in attack where Wainwright is the only consistently dangerous forward. Everton’s news in an attacking sense, are too much in one basket. That way danger lies, as Southampton discovered last season when Wayman was crocked and his absence cost them promotion. Everton have selected the same team as that which drew with Manchester City on Wednesday. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, Eglington. Portsmouth; Butler; Hindmarsh, Ferrier; Scoular, Flewin; Dickinson, Harris, Reid, Clarke, Phillips, Froggatt.

September 9, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton have their injury worries, just like Liverpool, and on the surface they cannot have bright prospects at Portsmouth. Yet this is the type of game the Blues can win. There was a time when Portsmouth yielded plenty of points to Everton, and if they forwards can produce just a little more punch they may be able to clinch a partial success, built up on the solidity of one of the best defences in the Division. Everton last won at Fratton in 1938-39 and since have been beaten 1-2, 0-3, and 0-4. Everton still have Jim McIntosh on the injured list, and so Harry Catterick continues to lead in an unchanged side. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, Eglington.
• George Hannah, the Linfield inside-forward in whom Newcastle United are interested, is the former Everton player, who played as a guest for Linfield while he was in the Army.

September 10, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Early Goal Sets Winning Pace For Portsmouth
Defence Hard Pressed
Portsmouth 7, Everton 0
By Contact
Everton were beaten to a frazzle in a frizzle at Fratton. An incredibly bad worst for this season –and probably last, too. Portsmouth; Butler, goal; Hinmarsh and Ferrier, backs; Scoular, Flewin and Dickinson, half-backs; Harris, Reid, Clarke, Phillips and Froggatt, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain) and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. W.R. Rogers (Birmingham). I have never seen a football crowd looking so much like one at an Oval Test in the height of summer. The heat was little short of grilling, and I doubt whether football has been played under more uncomfortable conditions. Everton are hoping hard that Sagar will be capped for the match at Goodison on Wednesday week, and there is belief that he may be given this honour as a “swan song” to a great career. Among those in Portsmouth directors stand was Arthur Askey, telling the crowd that if they saw a body thrown on to pitch it would be his because he would be shouting for Everton. Everton won the toss, and strangely elected to give Portsmouth the sun advantage. Saunders with a quick dribble and a nice through pass, opened the way for Wainwright who seemed to be anything but offside –but that was the verdict. Scoular, bringing the ball to his left foot at the penalty line, hit a sharp swerving shot which passed over the bar. At four minutes Portsmouth led with a strange goal for Froggatt. Harris’s initial shot, after being put through by Reid was slewing wide when Clarke volleyed it on to the underside of the bar. From there the ball appeared to enter the net on the rebound, but no whistle went. Sagar, wisely playing on, flicked it away one-handed to where Froggatt stood ready to slam it back. Only then did the referee signal a goal.
Defence Rattled
Everton’s best and only, move so far all but produced an equalizer. Catterick began it, and Fielding assisted it with a left-foot shot which had Butler beaten but struck the bar. It was not long before Sagar and company were hard at work again, and I have not often seen an Everton defence so thoroughly rattled ad out of sorts. They were slow and indecisive in most of their work. Corr, with a prompt and good length centre, found Fielding, whose long distance header Butler juggled with rather nervously on the face of the bar before he finally grasped it. Harris was unlucky not to head a goal from Froggatt’s centre. Tom Jones, coming up for a corner, connected as usual but not with sufficient force. All five Portsmouth forwards played as a line, and moved with great speed and almost perfect understanding. Scoular, too was playing brilliantly.
Chance Missed
Everton had one “too good to be true” chance to equalize, Corr hit a grand cross-field pass to Eglington who put the ball up for Wainwright, who was moving so fast into position that no one could catch him. Then with nothing between the back of the net and the ball except Butler. Wainwright put a slowish shot wide by a few feet. An unexpected volley by Catterick was close to beating Butler, but Portsmouth were still on top, and were swashbuckling their way to goal almost at will. Fielding bravely went through two tackles to provide Wainwright with another chance. This time Corr was brought into the movement and he hit a fierce shot over the top. Wainwright today was more often stealing into the centre forward place than Catterick. Towards half-time Everton had their best spell, but Portsmouth went to a 2-0 at 37 minutes through Reid. Farrell uprooted Harris three yards outside the penalty area. Everton lined up but there must have been a chink at the end of the armour for the ball sped like a jet and smashed against the inside of the post and careered over to the other side netting. Froggatt missed heading a third by the width of the whitewash when Scoular lashed over a long oblique pass.
Half-time; Portsmouth 2, Everton nil.
The interval was prolonged by a few minutes, perhaps by special dispensation owing to the heat. Butler countered all his previous shakiness by a wonderful catch from an Eglington hook after Corr had needed two bites to get the ball across beyond Ferrier.
Portsmouth Third
Sagar wanted to be in the honous, too, so he made an equally fine piece of fielding from Phillips’s high shot a moment later. Red got a third goal within four minutes of the match restarting. The Everton defence slipped up literally and figuratively, and the bold big Reid simply strolled in to hit the ball to his precise liking. Wainwright hit the bar when running in to centre and got a corner, but it was not long before Reid was measuring another big shot. His timing, however, was faulty. Jones, Saunders, and Lello were worked as they have rarely been before, and the Everton side as a whole –all departments –was patchy beyond belief. There were times when this easily dispossessed and lacking in fight Everton forward line seemed to give up all hopes. Portsmouth were fairly making a meal of them now, and a mistake by Tom Jones allowed Phillips to go on alone. Phillips muffed his first attempt at a shot, but still got the ball home for goal number four despite the fact that he was challenged by Jones and another. Harris deserved a goal for an individual run topped with a good enough shot, but the ball soared a foot above the bar. Harris made no mistake, however with the perfect chance, he was given a moment later -72 minutes –for Portsmouth to lead 5-0. At this point one dared not write anything of general play because of the danger of running out of space for goals –it was as bad as that. There will be some hard talking in the Everton board room next Tuesday. Clarke in 77 minutes got a sixth and tangled himself hopelessly in the back netting in doing so. Reid got a seventh at 85 minutes and Harris was inches from making it eight. Final; Portsmouth 7, Everton 0.

Bootle Res v Everton “A”
September 10, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Everton put on strong pressure from the start and within five minutes scored through Lewis. The visitors showed some clever movements, which ended in Barlow making some good saves. Then Bootle took up the attack and Brazier leveled the score after 15 minutes and afterwards Harrison gave them the lead, but later McNamara equalized. Half-time; Bootle Res 2, Everton “A” 2.

September 12, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
Portsmouth 7, Everton 0
When Portsmouth led 5-0 with lagging minutes remaining a spectator said “Pompey should declare,” and it would have been a kindness if they had. But League football being a rather unrelenting business, Portsmouth continued their unfinished break and finally it was seven. Not since pre-war football at Wolverhampton, have Everton been beaten so heavily. Portsmouth’s tally of goals against Everton in recent seasons (and all to nil as I recollect the score) make a strange one way story. Dealing with a match of this sort one must try to be more scrupulously fair if possible than when dealing with a less damaging defeat, if only because eleven footballers are only capable of doing their best and because an avalanche of goals in one match or another is an inevitability to which all football flesh is heir. I will say this. There was rarely been a match in which the ball has seemed to tied to one set of feet and so elusive to another; there has even more rarely been a match in which neither trainer was called on the field from first to last.
Ready for Challenge
Portsmouth indifferent as may be their record this season, seem to me to be capable of making a battle of it with Manchester United and Wolverhampton Wanderers, one can almost ignore their defence –for the moment – and start at right half back for their real strength. There you have Scoular, a Scot once reputed to be a trifle unceremonious if not worse, and now the most completely equipped half-back in the game with the possible exception of Wright of Wolves. “Scoular not only plays well, he plays with an unflagging verve which appears to affect everyone in front of him. Harris at outside right was pumped out near the end by the sheer effort of taking up Scoular’s work and carrying it on brilliantly. One Scoular would satisfy most teams, but Portsmouth have almost another in Dickinson, on the left, with the well-tried Flewin as the link. The attack a rich mixture of utility (Clarke), power of shot (Reid), and wingers, who are fast and very competent make the two forwards departments ones, which must win many more matches than they lose, and they must occasionally win them as they did this one. On this evidence, Portsmouth are still a great team with the unusual virtue of not having what football knows as bright particular super stars, of whom a few necessary have a temperamental off day. Everton struck a bar (Fielding) and missed the day’s choicest chance (Wainwright) when the score was but 1-0. The gods do not forgive but it must go on record that Sagar, beaten seven times, was entirely without fault.

September 12, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton were taking their 7-0 defeat at Portsmouth. It was the first time in 21 years of football life that Ted Sagar has been beaten seven times, for when Everton conceded seven goals at Wolverhampton in 1939, Harry Morton, and not Sagar was in goal. Possibly Everton could never have stopped the high-geared Portsmouth even had Wainwright been able to equalize from their best opening.
Here’s is Radar’s story of the Everton defeat. “It may be wondered that I am able to pick out any good points about Everton after the display at Fratton, but I was fully in agreement with Manager Cliff Britton’s after the match view that before the interval the Blues produced their most-effective football this season to date. They fought back admirably after Froggatt’s four minute goal. Fielding beat Butler but the ball crashed back off the bar and Butler had the utmost difficulty in saving a header from Fielding. But the real turning point in this high-speed game was when Wainwright went through from Eglington’ s pass and screwed the ball wide. Eddie so rarely misses a chance of this kind that he can be forgiven, but when Reid scored for Pompey with a million to one against free kick. Everton forced themselves unluckily facing a two goals deficit, whereas they might have, and should have, been on terms. Another Reid goal three minutes after half-time knocked all the fight out of an Everton who must by then have despaired of anything going right for them. The Blues simply could not stem the streamlined. Portsmouth attacking machine so ably prompted by magnificent attacking wing half-backs in Scoular and Dickenson. Everton will not be the only team to crack in the south in face of this tremendously fast, accurate attack. “Everton found nothing going right for them, but Sagar had not the slightest chance with any of the shots that defeated him, just as no team in the country would have had a chance against this Portsmouth brand of football.”

September 12, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Shock
Ranger’s Notes
That Man Scoular
Not since they were beaten at Wolverhampton in a pre-war season have Everton been beaten by seven goals (write Contact). They began reasonably well, and then deteriorated progressively against a Portsmouth side which was almost inhumanity fast and strong, and full of football ideas. What chances Everton had and these came mid-way through the first half, were useless because Fielding’s left foot shot which had beaten Butler, struck the bar and Wainwright’s clear opening to goal was used badly. A goal them with Portsmouth leading only 1-0 might possibly have changed the game, but the intangibilities of football count nothing. In the end Everton were beaten as they have rarely been beaten, and Portsmouth far from not being worth seven went close to scoring others. It was an extraordinally clean game –neither trainer needed to be called –in heat such as footballers rarely have to endure. For Portsmouth the sun shone only on their brilliance; they played so well, and with speed and enthusiasm one would have thought that conditions were local. The run of the ball or the breaks of the same certainly did not favour Everton. I have never seen a match in which one side so obviously derived so much benefit from the ball running kindly for them undoubtedly it was a case of nothing succeeding like success and the longer the game the more dangerous Portsmouth became. In Scoular at right half they have a man in the Wright class. Dickinson on the other wing, I only slightly less forceful and skillful. The forwards line with Harris in international form, and Reid cracking the ball hard and true, is going to be a headache to lots of defences, if they maintain, as they are likely to, their almost perfect positional play and understanding.

September 16, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Farrell’s New Role For Eire
By John Peel
As unusual selection in the Eire team to play England in the Soccer international at Goodison Park next week, Wednesday is the choice of Farrell, the Everton wing half back as inside right. He partners will be club colleague Corr.
Everton team to face the unbeaten Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park tomorrow shows one change from the side beaten so heavily at Portsmouth last week. The change is in the attack where McIntosh returns as leader to the exclusion of Catterick. Team; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.

September 16, 1949. The Evening Express
Unbeaten League Leaders
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Everton’s duel with the First Division unbeaten leaders, Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park. Wolves almost lost their record at Birmingham on Wednesday and I think the strain of a desperate midweek test may react tomorrow, and contribute towards Everton gaining their fourth win of the season and reaching double figures in points. Goodison never has been a lucky ground for the Wolves in league games, and while that heavy Everton defeat at Portsmouth does not give much encouragement, it must be remembered that it was a day when everything came off for Pompey. Jimmy McIntosh returns to lead the Everton forwards for the first time since the Huddersfield match. Wolves had Bert Williams injured on Wednesday, but not only will he play, but also join colleagues Billy Wright and Jesso Pye in the England side against Eire on the same ground next Wednesday. Forbes will take the place of Dunn (injured). Everton have not lost at home and have conceded only one goal, and while this becomes their most exacting task to date, I have feeling the Wanderers record will go by the board. Everton; Sagar, Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Wolves; Williams; McLean, Pritchard; Crook, Shorthouse, Wright; Hancocks, Forbes, Pye, Smyth, Mullen.

September 16, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Wolves at Goodison
Ranger’s Notes
Wolverhampton, who come to Goodison Park, tomorrow, with an unbeaten record, will provide Everton with one of their stiffest tests of the season. After winning their first six games and looking as near like the season’s probable champions as makes no difference, Wolverhampton almost came a cropper in Wednesday’s match against lowly Birmingham only a last minute own goal offence by Dorman, Birmingham’s first half, saving a point for the anything-but-rampant Wolves. But what happened at Birmingham is little criterion for tomorrow, Everton may find the Molineux side again back at its best, and when the Wolves are good they are in a class almost by themselves. Everton will not only have to be stern and resolute in defence to keep the visiting attack at bay, but will have to show greater striking force in their own front line to have any hopes of both points. The return of Jimmy McIntosh is the only Goodison change. With Wainwright responsible for five of Everton’s six goals, there is an obvious lack of support, the remedying of which is essential before Everton can reach a position where anxiety with vanish regarding the front line. This game will give Goodison followers a pre-view of Jesse Pye, now preferred to Milburn, Rowley, and others as England’s leader, prior to the international against Eire next Wednesday, Pye is a great centre forward when on form, but may meet his match in Tommy Jones. Bert Williams the Wolves and England goalkeeper, has been passed fit and will play, but Forbes deputise for Dunn. Everton have made a last-minute change in their team. Fielding is having trouble with his knee and is not fit. His place will be taken by Aubrey Powell, the Welsh international. Everton; Sagar, Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Wolves; Williams; McLean, Pritchard; Crook, Shorthouse, Wright; Hancocks, Forbes, Pye, Smyth, Mullen.

September 17, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Surprise Leaders With Virile Attack and Good Defence
But Lose In Last Gasp
Everton 1, Wolves 2
By Rangers.
Everton;- Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell (captain), Humphreys and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Powell, and Eglington, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers; Williams, goal; McLean and Prichard, backs; Crook, Shorthouse, and Wright (captain), half-backs; Hancock, Forbes, Pye, Smyth, and Mullen, forwards. Referee; Mr. R.J. Lease (Nottingham). There was a surprise when it was announced that Humphreys was at centre half for Everton, a last minute change due to Tommy Jones being indisposed. Farrell captained the Everton side. It was the first appearance in the senior side this season of both Humphreys and Powell, the latter coming in owing to Fielding having an injured knee. Wolves started off in starting fashion, a neat concerted move by Wright, Pye, and Hancock fading out, however, when Forbes duffed his shot. Everton retaliated through some good work by Powell and Eglington, but the latter just failed to get his centre over properly, and Wright nipped in to clear.
A Powell “Special”
Shorthouse earned a round of applause for a neat bit of work in the best Tommy Jones fashion, and then another crossfield pass by Eglington saw Corr robbed in a simple fashion by Pritchard. The first real shot of the match was an Aubrey Powell special from the edge of the penalty area, which had Williams beaten all the way, but flashes inches on the wrong side of the post. Wolves, so far, had certainly not looked like a potential championship side, and though their defence was quick in its tackling it was not finding it easy to hold the nippy Everton attack, in which Wainwright and Powell were serving up some attractive work. The biggest thrill to date came when a Wolves attack, in which Mullen, Hancocks, and Forbes took part, finished with Smyth hitting a fierce drive against the upright. Forbes tried to net from the rebound but in a melee in front of goal Lello came to the rescue by booting the ball behind for an abortive corner. This was rather a lucky let-off for Everton. Everton appealed unsuccessfully for a penalty when from a sudden breakaway Powell appeared to be elbowed off the ball by McLean just as he was about to tap it past Williams, referee Leafe, however, appeared to think this had been a fair charge. Everton were now piling on pressure, and the Wolves’ defence was inclined to shakiness. A centre by McIntosh, who had come out to the right wing, went right to the head of Wainwright, whose sideways flick was not more than a yard outside the far post. Hancocks, who had few passes on the Wolves right, now came into the picture in a duo with Pye, which came to nothing, while a Corr-McIntosh switch also had a fruitless result. Next it was Wainwright turn to temporarily take over at outside right, from where he delivered a strong shot, but again from too great a distance to have much hope of beating a custodian of Williams’s calibre. Saunders got a rally for robbing Mullen in very clever fashion; Pye tested Sagar with an ankle shot, which had not much hope of finding its billet, and then a good combined Everton movement in which Corr, Wainwright and Eglington took part came to nothing when McIntosh’s header provided Williams with a simple catch and clearance.
Wolves Bad Miss
There had been nothing in the game so far to remind one either that Wolves were unbeaten league leaders or that Everton had such a shocking reverse at Portsmouth a week ago. Barely had I dictated that sentence, however, than Mullen, put in one of his trickiest runs to date, and provided Smyth with a gilt-edged chance from six yards’ range, Smyth, however, lofted the ball over the bar –a bad miss from such a well-worked opening. Eglington just failed to properly connect with a Corr centre, but his half-hit effort enabled Wainwright to have a go under difficult circumstances. The Everton inside man lofted the ball over the bar as he was tackled by McLean. Williams had been in action frequently for the past ten minutes or so, so mainly cutting out centres. At the other end, Sagar was holding no more than a watching brief, for Everton were now on top again.
Half-time; Everton 0, Wolves 0.
The second half opened in sensational fashion, Corr giving Everton the lead at the 47th minute. The move began when Wainwright intercepted a pass by Hancocks meant for Wright near the centre circle, took the ball forward 25 yards, and slipped it out to Corr. The winger took it within a few yards of the corner flag before putting across an angled shot-cum-centre along the ground, which seemed to have no possible hope of beating Williams. The Wolves goalkeeper, however, appeared to be chary of colliding with the post, and allowed it to slip through his fingers into the net. Everton were certainly worthy of the lead on their first half play, but one hardly expected it to be presented to then in such simple fashion.
Wolves’ Quick Reply
Almost straight from the restart Hancocks shot past Sagar, but fortunately for Everton Pye was well offside and impeded Sagar, and the referee had no hesitation in nullifying the point. Corr who had been the best winger on view, again got the better of Pritchard but Shorthouse headed away a promising centre.
An Unusual Request
There was a most unusual incident when Williams spoke to the referee just before an Everton corner was taken, and the official crossed over to the middle of the field and spoke to a policeman standing by a section of the ground which displays the metal squares giving the half-time results. The “bobby” proceeded to lay these face downwards on the cinder path, so I presume that Williams had protested that the reflection of the sun from these was causing him trouble in the Wolverhampton goalmouth. Wolves were still anything but like a prospective championship side and their defence still was inclined to panic under pressure. Even Wright was only a shadow of his usual self, while in the visiting attack by generally dangerous Mullen was well held by Saunders, who had played brilliantly throughout in the home full-back line. Humphreys was also keeping a close watch on Pye, and Forbes taking advantage of this, was almost through, only to find the ball bouncing awkwardly, and Sagar dropping on it at the psycholgic moment.
Elbows at Work
Another similar move to the one which led to Everton’s goal took place when Wainwright again intercepted a pass, this time from Mullen and set Corr off just as he had done on the previous occasion. This time, however the winger centred instead of shooting, and a Wolves defender cleared the danger. When Shorthouse very blatantly elbowed Eglington off the ball well inside the penalty area referee Leafe declined to award a spot kick, giving Everton instead a free kick for dangerous play. Wolves were now being overplayed in no uncertain fashion, but were defending by sheer weight of numbers in such desperate fashion that Everton could not find a way through to test Williams. Smyth had a possible chance to preserve Wolves’ unbeaten record from a corner. It was a difficult position, however and though his shot was high over the bar he did reasonably well to screw the ball round at all.
Wolves Penalty Claim
Wolves claimed a penalty for hands against Farrell, but it seemed to me more a case of ball to hand when he interfered with Mullen’s centre not a deliberate offence. Smyth at last found true direction with a shot, but had not enough power behind it to beat Sagar, who had positioned himself, as usual in the right spot. Everton were now showing signs of tiring a little and Wolves were coming into the game more convincingly than at any time this half. With only one goal in it, the visitors realized their chance of saving their unbeaten record, and did not mean to let go without a fight. A long run saw McIntosh beat two opponents and then fire narrowly outside as he fell to the ground on the six-yard line. At last Wolves got the reward of their fighting rally of the last 10 minutes. A strong centre by Pye was fisted away one-handed by Sagar, but unfortunately for Everton fell right at the feet of the incoming Mullen who hit a powerful shot first time which grazed the side of Farrell’s head and went into the roof of the net out of Sagar’s reach. Pye scored for Wolves 87 minutes. Official attendance 59,593. Final; Everton 1, Wolves 2.

September 17, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Wolves; Parsons, goal; Kelly and Springthrope, backs; Russell, Chatham, and Baxter, half-backs; Smith, Whitfield, Taft, Rowley, and Wilshaw, forwards. Everton Res;- O’Neill, goal; Moore and Clinton, backs; Grant, Falder, and Rankin, half-backs; Jones, Bentham, Catterick, Hampson, and Parker, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Dykes (Manchester). Both sides opened with some attractive football. Parker, on the left wing for Everton, was exceptionally dangerous. In five minutes, Wolves took the lead when Taft beat Falder to the ball. He gave a square pass to Welshaw, and from the return beat O’Neill with a low drive. Taft again went near shortly afterwards with a brilliant header that hit the bar. Wolves had been doing all the attacking. Time after time Everton’s goalkeeper foiled the goal-hungry Wolves by his keen anticipation. In the 43rd minute Taft increased the lead for Wolves. Receiving a centre from Smith he sent in a crashing drive which left O’Neill helpless. After the restart Everton made two more attacks in quick succession. The first of these saw Bentham ‘s header go very close.

September 19, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Ranger
Everton 1, Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Everton could count themselves decidedly unfortunate to lose both points in a game which provided two of the most remarkable goals likely to be seen at Goodison this season. The last of these, which gave Wolves their victory was a tragic misunderstanding between Humphreys, deputizing for the indisposed T.G. Jones, and Sagar, the home goalkeeper. Three minutes from the end, with Everton tried out and Wolves well on top, the visiting right back, McLean hooted the ball heftily from the edge of his own penalty area towards the Everton goal. When it bounced, Humphreys backed in an effort to head it to Sagar who in advancing, collided with his clubmate. Both lost touch with the ball and Pye rapidly following up, had only to tap it into an empty net. Everton’s goal was just as much a gift, for Corr shooting from an almost impossible angle near the corner flag, had the joy of seeing his effort squeeze between Williams outstretched hands and the post. This was two minutes after the resumption. Even Wolves other goal, ten minutes from the finish was tinged with luck, for a fist-away by Sagar dropped right at the feet of the unmarked Mullen, whose first time shot struck Farrell en route and flew up into the roof of the net. Prior to that Wolves had rarely looked like a team at the top of the table. They started slowly, being nothing like the speedy and virile attacking combination that they usually are, and displayed a tendency to be anything but confident in defence. They were determined and resolute enough, but there was neither the polish nor understanding in the rearguard that one had expected from a side in their position. The longer the game went the more did Wolves settle down to the realist ion that a fighting finish might bring them the points. Wright set them a good example and with Everton tiring perceptibly the Wolves at last showed their capabilities. Even so they must count themselves lucky to win by such a fluke goal. Star defenders of the day was Saunders, who never put a foot wrong, Humphreys did well until towards the finish and the home wing halves were good without being quite as dominant as those of the opposition. Corr was Everton’s best forward, with Powell providing good passes and Wainwright the dash but not the finish.

September 19, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Unlucky Blues
Everton will play many a worse game this season than they did against Wolves and yet get two points for their labour. They might well have had a couple from this game, and certainly deserved at least one, for they were the better side most of the time, and made Wolves look anything but likely championship contenders. The visitors only touched their best in the last twenty minutes or so. Prior to that Everton had made them look uncertain and desperate in defence, and had extracted the sting from their normally speedy and aggressive attack. Had Everton been able to translate this early superiority into terms of goals the Wolves would never have been able to pull the game out of the fire. Instead with only a goal lead –and that a “present” from Williams when he let a Corr shot from near the corner flag trickle between himself and the post two minutes after the resumption –Everton lost their grip when Wolves turned on the heat in the closing stages. The Blues practically played themselves to a standstill, whereas Wolves left their best to last. Even so it took one of the most curious goals we have seen for ages to give the visitors victory. Humphreys and Sagar collided when going to cover a bouncing ball which resulted from a full-blooded clearance by McLean and while they were gathering their scattered wilts Pye, the only Wolves man within 25 yards nipped round the pair of them and lobbed the ball in the empty net. It was the sort of chance that a centre forward gets but once in a lifetime. This was three minutes from the end. Seven minutes earlier a partial clearance by Sagar had given Mullen an easy opportunity to nullify Corr’s earlier goal. His first time shot from just inside the penalty area struck Farrell on the head and rocketed up into the roof of the net out of Sagar’s reach. It was a game productive of much entertaining football, most of it played on the “carpet” and with Wolves showing rather more determination than polish. Their wingers for once were not as impressive as usual, and though the wing halves did good work in helping the defence, it was not until towards the finish that they really began to show their greatest skill. Corr had one of his best games bring both speedy and tricky and getting his centres over accurately. Eglington made little impression of the brawny McLean and though the Everton inside forwards schemed well, Wolves defended to stubbornly that they could seldom see a way through to test Williams. It was not one of Everton’s lucky days.
• A few stand tickets have been returned to Everton from Ireland and can be obtained by personal application to the club offices.
• Harry Cooke (Everton) has been appointed trainer to the England team.
• Wally Fielding hopes to resume training tomorrow and to be fit for Saturday’s away game against Aston Villa. Tommy Jones is also expected to be all right by the week-end.

September 19, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Wolves were down to Peter Corr’s goal at the time, but by that gesture Wright emphasized to his colleagues that they could win. What Wright did not know was that Everton mistakes would give them the needed goals. Wolves took a gamble on throwing everything into attack, and it worked, for Everton got “the jitters.” The Everton we saw for 80 minutes, however, was a delight, revealing more fight and conviction about their work than in any other game so far. One goal did not represent their superiority against a Wolves offering grand resistance, and while I admit the Blues did not shoot as often as we would have liked, they made Bert Williams about the busiest man in the game in dealing with lofted centres. The return of Aubrey Powell transformed the attack, and his use of the cross-field pass, added to the cute passing of Wainwright were the reasons Peter Corr had such a joy day against Pritchard, Eglington, too, and received as good service but McLean made sure that Tommy never got the ball on his left foot. Leading this line of ideas fluency and craft, was the diligent McIntosh, who was always battling away for openings. This was a Everton forward display, backed up with grand half-backs with Farrell and Lello purposeful, and Humphreys always making sure to clear as determinedly and quickly as possible. In the scoring of the deciding goal, Sagar ran into Humphreys who was about to head away and so the ball ran clear to the grateful Pye. Saunders and Dugdale were more than a match for Mullen and Hancocks until they rallied to the call of Wright as Everton began to the Williams was excellent, although he must still be wondering how Corr’s shot beat him and Ted Sagar must still be wondering how it was he lost sight of the ball so often. It was a grand show by Everton against a team which simply refuses to give up trying and which realizes that persistence brings its own reward. It was a pity Manager Cliff Britton was not there to see this display, for it would have heartened him immensely. It was Everton’s third defeat, but a continence of this form will bring dozens of victories.

September 22, 1949. The Daily Post
Notes only
Peter Farrell scored for Eire against England at Goodison Park, in front of 51,847 spectators, Peter Corr also played for Ireland. Peter Farrell, justified Eire’s hopes of him as a forward by lobbing the ball neatly over Williams for a second goal at 88 minute.

September 22, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The visit of Everton to Wrexham in a benefit match for Eddie Tunney and Gilbert Bellis which was postponed last season, has been fixed for Wednesday October 5. Tunney former Everton full back is now playing in Wrexham reserves team, while Bellis is player-manager with Colwyn Bay. Both players had over ten years service with Wrexham. Tickets will be on sale, but it will not be an all-ticket match.

September 23, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s good showing –against Wolves last week should have completely restored the side confidence after the Portsmouth debacle, and though Villa will take a lot of holding on their own ground, Everton’s chances of at least a draw are reasonably bright. The Portsmouth and Newcastle away games accepted, Everton defence has only once had more than a goal against it, and that was partially because of the gifts they made to Wolves last week. Four times they have kept a clean sheet. But there is still urgent need of greater penetrative power in the attack. There is always danger when too much of the scoring rests on the shoulders of one man, as it has so far with Wainwright. With the idea of bringing more forward punch, Manager Cliff Britton has switched McIntosh to outside left, where he used to play regularly in the war-time football. He should do well there. Higgins leads the attack, and Powell remains at inside left. Fielding having a preliminary run with the second team following his recent injury. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell, McIntosh. Aston Villa; Jones; Parkes, Dorsett; Powell, Martin, Moss (F.); Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Dixon, Goffin.

September 23, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot Log (Don Kendall)
Everton travel to Birmingham to face Aston Villa at the ground where the Blues scored their only away won of last season and seeking their second away win. The Blues have scored only one goal in their last three games which have produced only one point, but an effort to greater effectiveness is made by switching Jimmy McIntosh to outside-left and bringing in Billy Higgins at centre-forward. Higgins has been among the goals in the Central League side. Tommy Jones returns to centre half to face his fellow Welshman, Trevor Ford, in a game featuring two other Welsh internationals in Aubrey and Ivor Powell. The Villa have not yet been defeated at home, drawing with Derby and Blackpool and beating Portsmouth. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell, McIntosh. Aston Villa; Jones; Parkes, Dorsett; Powell, Martin, Moss (F.); Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Dixon, Goffin.

September 24, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Higgins Goal Had Raised Everton’s Hopes
Wainwright Hurt, On Wing
Aston Villa 2, Everton 2
By Contact
Everton with a good left wing, survived most of the Villa’s forward pressure and then went on to score what seemed likely to be the winning goal, but Ford got the equalizer at eighty-nine minutes. Aston Villa;- Jones, goal; Parkes and Dorsett, backs; Powell (I.)(captain), Martin and Moss (F.), half-backs; Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Dixon and Goffin, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain) and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell (A.) and McIntosh, forwards. Referee; Mr. B.J. Flanagan, Sheffield. Everton manager Cliff Britton did not travel with the side, but it is said that he is not at Leicester to view Revie, although doubtless someone else was keeping his place warm. Farrell, who had a knock on Wednesday, was tested out on the ground during the morning and was found quite fit. Heavy rain began to fall half an hour before the kick-off. The teams lined up in single file opposite each other while the band of the Coldstream Guards played the National Anthem. Ivor Powell beat fellow Welsh international Tom Jones for the choice of ends but this was a day when there was no advantage of any end. The rain by now had ceased.
Catch by Sagar
It was all Villa for three minutes and Dugdale, Tom Jones, and Sagar with a fine catch from Goffin, all distinguishing themselves. Everton’s only attack came from a through pass from Powell which Corr was a little slow to take up when bursting through. McIntosh soon began to pay dividends as a left winger, but Higgins lost his foothold two or three times after McIntosh had control persistently and good chances were lost.
Shot Were Wide
The three Villa inside forwards all near the six-foot mark, had a field day when the ball was in the air, but the ball was difficult to control and Goffin picking up a clearance by Saunders, was very side with his shot. Gibson did better, but his shot was deflected for a corner, Sagar scrambling across goal to see the ball round the foot of the post. A too-strong centre by Corr passed over the head of McIntosh, who had come into the centre.
Villa Go Ahead
Powell and McIntosh were easily Everton’s best forwards, and the Welshman, standing close to the right wing, centred to McIntosh, who missed connecting with his head by an inch or two in a tremendous head long dive. Sagar got one hand to it, but there was never much chance of a one-handed save of a heavy ball. In the next minute the 15th, Goffin fastened on to the ball near the Everton goal, and controlling it well, drove it home for a leading goal. Sagar had to go full length to a shot by Craddock to prevent a second goal.
The Equaliser
Ford nearly finished off a splendid Villa right-wing movement with a goal, his shot just beating the inside of the post. Higgins, clean through, centred too quickly and too inaccurately for Wainwright to do anything about it, but at 25 minutes Aubrey Powell, from the ruck, put the ball beyond Jones to everyone’s great surprise. The goalkeeper appeared to be unsighted. Villa hit back and Dorsett delivered a grand shot “from the outfield,” Sagar only half stopped it and the ball went on to contact the bar. Even then Villa should have scored, but Gibson was wild with a close-in shot off the rebound.
Nearly a Goal
When Tom Martin presented Everton with a corner in trying to pass the ball along the goal line to Jones, Everton were within inches of talking the lead, McIntosh’s good length centre was headed in fiercely by Corr, and Jones did extraordinarily well to get it over the bar. From this second corner Corr tried to return the compliment to McIntosh who might have succeeded in heading a goal but for another Everton forward going up for the same ball. Corr, with a shot which swerved a little, had Jones making a late save round the post.
Wainwright Off
Jones also denied Lello who followed up a McIntosh corner with a crackajack shot, while Wainwright who had been injured, lay on the ground. Wainwright had to leave the field, and his chance of coming back fit seemed remote. He jarred an ankle when being crowded out while putting in a centre.
Half-time; Aston Villa 1, Everton 1.
Three Everton players stayed on the field to help Harry Cooke, the trainer, assist Wainwright off the field, but when the players returned Wainwright was amongst them as outside right with Corr as partner. Gibson was guilty of a very bad foul on Aubrey Powell, who resumed after his mouth had been sponged. All things considered Everton were having a good innings. The left wing was certainty moving well, and Dugdale and Jones were nearly always too good for the Villa attack, which promised much and fulfilled little.
Sound Left Wing
Jones headed for a corner a free kick from Dorsett, who still hit the ball hard. Then Jones’s head was there three times in five seconds in one of Villa’s swinging attacks.
Hectic Five Minutes
Jones has rarely done better than he did in this hectic five minutes spell, in which the defence was hard at work without respite. Gibson with a blow to the forehead was now at outside right, but Villa had taken a fresh grip on the game and were beginning to look like getting a goal. Ford was spoken to for a heavy charge on Sagar, and then Dixon in full sail, was uprooted a yard or two out of the penalty area, Ivor Powell with the defence lined up, lobbed the ball cheekily over his head and Sagar was content to slip it over the bar. Villa were doing everything except put the ball in the net at this stage, Sagar gave away a corner when Craddock swung the ball in unexpectedly from long distance.
Wainwright’s Header
Off a Corr centre, McIntosh kept the ball in play with his head beyond the far post and Wainwright’s header, from not more than five yards out, swung narrowly wide of the post. Wainwright took one of those quick dashes of his and a shot that Jones picked up at the foot of the post was also near to surprising the defence. It was not long before Villa were back on the attack and Jones and Saunders and Dugdale were coping with a series of corners. Wainwright’s great solo effort had no sooner been crowded out than McIntosh made a second goal for Everton at 84 minutes. He bamboozled Parkes, centred promptly and Higgins caught Jones going the wrong way with a shot that in the circumstances was quite adequate. Then Dorsett almost broke Sagar’s fists with the best shot of the game – a full volley hit with tremendous force. Ford scored for Villa with only a minute play remaining. Final; Aston Villa 2, Everton 2.

September 24, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Res; Burnett, goal; Moore, and Rankin, backs; Lindley, Humphreys, and Grant, half-backs; Parker, Fielding, Catterick, Hampton, and Eglington, forwards. Chesterfield Res; Alsop, goal; Capel, and Riley, backs; Urquhart, Javan, Roddham, half-backs; Moore, Foster, Raine, Masson, and Bonsall, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.S. Jackson (Preston). The Everton team was strengthened today by the inclusion of Fielding and Eglington. The Blues had the monopoly of the play and were unfortunate in not taking the lead. Allsop saved brilliantly from Eglington and Parker. Everton continued to press, but backed that necessary sting when the opportunities arose. In the 40th minute Chesterfield took the lead. Foster profited through a mistake by the Everton defence. Half-time; Everton Reserves 0, Chesterfield Reserves 1.

September 24, 1949. The Evening Express
Everton’s attack bore something in the nature of a “new look” for today’s visit to Villa Park. In an endeavour to infuse greater thrust into the attack Jim McIntosh was switched to outside-left –a position he occupied with conspicuous success while “guessing” for Everton during war-time football. Tommy Eglington stood down, and Billy Higgins, who has been doing well with the Reserves, came in as leader of the attack. Aubrey Powell continued at inside left in place of Wally Fielding, who had a try-out with the Central League side today, following leg injury. There was a slight doubt about Pater Farrell’s fitness this morning. He suffered in Wednesday’s international, but came through any early morning test successfully at Villa Park. Villa were unchanged compared with the side that won at Middlesbrough last week. Manager Cliff Britton was not with the party. He was away “on other business,” but not at Leciester, where he watched Don Revie play in midweek. Senior director Mr. Ernest Green was another who was absent from today’s game. The weather was still close, but the Villa ground looked a perfect picture and there were drops of rain shortly before the start. Aston Villa;- Jones, goal; Parkes and Dorsett, backs; Powell (I.)(captain), Martin and Moss (F.), half-backs; Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Dixon and Goffin, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain) and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell (A.) and McIntosh, forwards. Referee; Mr. B.J. Flanagan, Sheffield.the game opened on a quiet note before about 35,000 spectators. Dorsett had to look nippy to prevent Corr taking charge of Aubrey Powell’s through pass. Villa’s first raid produced a neat bout of heading inside the Everton penalty area, but when the ball eventually went out to Goffin, Sagar was right there to deal with Goffin’s cross high up. Villa came again and there was a nasty moment for Everton when Ford seemed to be right through. Only a desperate last moment tackle by Farrell sufficed to save the situation. So far, Everton had given as good as they received and McIntosh was only a foot or so off the target.
Villa’s Turn
It was fast, accurate football with the ball moving rapidly from one end to the other. Next it was Villa’s turn, Craddock cutting inside to level a sharp left footer which slewed just the wrong side of the upright. Everton continued to provide some nice approach work which more than once forced the Villa defenders into wild clearance. Defensive leaps by Jones and Saunders in turn gave Goffin the chance to try from long range. He hit it powerfully but the ball swerved well wide of the target. Ford tried a fierce long ranger that was deflected for a corner, which came to nothing. It was Villa’s turn to breathe a sigh of relief as Corr, taking over from Wainwright, eat Dorset in a tackle but finished up by over-hitting his cross, with McIntosh nicely placed. Ford again looked dangerous after taking possession of a perfect Goffin forward pass but Jones stepped in to dispossess him. Aubrey Powell completely spilt open the Villa defence with a brilliant reverse diagonal pass, but although McIntosh flung himself at the ball he failed by inches to connect. In 17 minutes, however, Villa went away to take the lead. Ford managed to turn the ball beyond Jones and Goffin, who had wisely moved inside, beat Sagar with a short-range drive which Sagar managed to get his hands to but could not prevent ending up in the near corner of the net. It might have been two very shortly afterwards for Sagar had all his work to parry Goffin’s fierce grounder at full length and to prevent the ball crossing the line for a corner. Several Everton raids came to nothing because of inaccuracy by Wainwright and Powell. I thought Everton were rather inclined to overdo the short-passing game.
Just when it seemed least likely, Everton went away to draw level in the 17th minute. It was Aubrey Powell who did the trick. He picked up a half clearance by Frank Moss, sized up his slight chance instantly and beat Jones with a low left-footer which travelled through a ruck of Villa defenders.

September 26, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
There is only one thing worse than not having enough good footballers, and that is having too many. And Liverpool chasing Wolverhampton Wanderers at the North End of the League table, are suffering this uncommon embarrassment. Everton have no problems of this sort; indeed it would be truer to say that it will be some time before they began to be worried. I am afraid that the football produced by both sides –and what traditions is behind them –showed this season to be non-vintage for both. One reason may have been the strangeness of playing after so long a spell on hard grounds, on a pitch with the ball speeding quickly off sodden turf. The most heartening thing from an Everton standpoint was the Powell-McIntosh left wing partnership. McIntosh may not look the part –he is heavily built and not at all the powerball winger –but his brain moves fast enough and most of the credit for the Higgins goal was his because he rounded Parkes so cleverly and offered the scorer such an easy task.
Draw was Fair
At 89 minutes Everton seemed certain to win 2-1. Then the Villa forwards who had shown so little finishing power got the equalizer Ford from a half-chance that was unpromising to say the least. On the whole a draw was fair. Villa had several spells when they assuredly should have scored but Ford is more dashing than devilishly severe on the defence and both Sagar and Tom Jones and the full backs saved their best for the emergency Saunders had a particularly fine game and Dugdale who takes his football so quietly and undramatically, nevertheless got through a great amount of work. Powell it seems has come to stay. His passes were trifle slower than they were accurate but that was a minor fault and any further inside forward of this standard (with a goal added to the bargin) will make him very hard to displace. Wainwright twice passed with the swiftness of a meter across the football scene, but in view of his knock close on half-time one could hardly expect much. It was a game which did nothing to improve a contention that Everton weakness is in attack and in view of the fact that Chairman Dr. Baxter freely admitted all directors were away from Goodison Park it is obvious that the club have a live realization of what is needed. But finding it and having found it signing it is another story.

September 26, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Here are Radar’s comments on Everton’s latest success; “There were distinct signs that the new forward formation of Everton will when it has had time to settle down go far towards solving Manager Cliff Britton’s front line problems. To gain a point from Villa was a splendid performance –and it might so easily have been two. There was only just time to centre the ball after that dramatic last-second equalizer by Ford. Perhaps Villa had slightly more of the attack in his entertaining game, but there was a refreshing fluency about Everton’s attack. Occasionally inaccuracy in disposal by the inside forwards was the only real shortcomings. Aubrey Powell was the one inside forward in the game with the ability of create openings and more often than not he was the master of his compatriot and namesake, Ivor. And Powell’s goal in 25 minutes to negative Goffin’s opener was a fine example of spilt second thinking. Even before he was injured just before the interval Wainwright did not produce his best’s form or the solo burst, which bring him his goals. “Late on, after Eddie had thrown off the effects of his injury, he produced two brilliant efforts which deserved goals. Higgins was a grand trier, and for a comparatively small leader, often rose to remarkable heights to out-head Con Martin. Higgins also gained credit marks for the cool manner in which he scored his goal. Peter Corr justified the description of being the most-improved winger in football and his finishing was more deadly than I have seen it. If Peter keeps this up goals will come. McIntosh did many excellent things and his crossing of the ball was an object-lesson, the intermediate section and defence did grand work in staving off fierce Villa pressure, my only criticism being pointed at that final hesitancy in tackling Ford before he placed the ball out of Sagar’s reach. Both defensively and in a constructive sense Farrell was the most accomplished wing half-back, with Lello little inferior. Jones was always master of the ball in the air, and Saunders and Dugdale came through a great deal of work with credit. Sagar’s keeping was up to his own inimitable standard, especially from Dorsett, who, a full-back was the finest marksman of the game.”

September 26, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Several Everton directors and Manager Cliff Britton were absent from the match at Birmingham in which Everton scored a useful point at Aston Villa (which Contact). One source of interest, undoubtedly was Revie of Leicester City, a player reputed to be looked upon favourably at Goodison Park. The Villa match was both a disappointment and a joy. It is not often a club 2-1 down with a minute to play squeeze an equalizing goal in the last 60 seconds, and therefore Everton had every right to feel across that they did not win on the other hand there were moments in the second half when Villa, by taking their chances could have made Everton’s chances of a draw look very remote. All told a draw was as fair a result as any. Easily the most pleasing thing from an Everton point of view was the way Powell and McIntosh worked as a left wing partnership. Powell, besides scoring a goal, was near to getting others, but the main value of his work was his fine use of the ball. McIntosh who made the second goal for Higgins, did not look a winger, but proved himself to be one and should be of the greatest value in being on the spot for centres from the other wing. Twice in the match he placed himself so well it was touch and go whether he headed a goal from the centre by Corr. With Wainwright pursing a knock for the whole of the second half and Higgins not as good as he can be, the Everton attack was not often in the picture. Wainwright twice made spectacular runs, but those apart he was not a success. Villa had long spells when they could do everything except put the ball in the net and in all of them Jones and his full backs and Sagar was invaluable. Whatever his fallings at Portsmouth, Jones surely reached his top form again on this occasion. Dugdale and Saunders, without being spectacular, were always working hard and well. As club men they have few equals.

September 27, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton will be at the Tower tomorrow facing New Brighton in the semi-final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. The Blues have an old “score” to wipe off when they face the Rakers, for the last season New Brighton went to Goodison in the same competition and won. The Rakers did not win the trophy which fell to Tranmere Rovers who beat the New Brighton in the final. Everton will field at least eight players who have had first team experience, and the team closen is; Burnett; Moore, Clinton; Lindley, Humphreys, Grant; Jones (T.S.), Fielding, Catterick, Hampson, Eglington.
The Rakers have team worries for apart from the fact that full back Marton had four stitches inserted in a head wound on Saturday. Grimley, the goalkeeper is doubtful and reserve goalkeeper, Ben Williams, also has a head wound which he necessitated stitches. The game starts at 5.30 p.m., ad will provide much good football.

September 29, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton beaten
New Brighton 1, Everton 0
New Brighton thoroughly deserved the goal scored by Jones at the sixty-second minute, which put them in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup for the second season running. Again Everton were their victims. Throughout the first half New Brighton called the tune and apart from holding the masterly they were artists at keeping the ball on the floor. It was a most impressive display. Quick sure tackling by McTaff and McPake prevented Everton setting to constructive football, and it was not until the last quarter that Everton began to move in threatening fashion. Then they ran up against a resolute defence in which Atkinson did yeoman service. Early on Burnett, who had more to do than Grimley, was fortunate to find a strong shot by Yates strike. Humphreys en route to goal. Later the Everton goalkeeper had to run out to hurriedly kick into touch to foil Jones. Everton’s best effort at that period was a fast shot by Catterick which skimmed the crossbar. On the interval Everton had an escape when Moore headed out under the crossbar when Taylor shot.
Dramatic Saves
Each goalkeeper made a dramatic save before the second half was very old, Burnett being first with a full-length dive to keep out a shot from Taylor, and then Grimley threw himself on the ball when Hampson made a strong ground shot. A goal seemed certain when Fielding put the ball over, and Grimley fell. Fortunately Gailbrath dashed in to head away from the goal line. A splendid combined move by New Brighton ended in Jones scoring. Hampson and Eglington were Everton’s better wing, little being seen of Jones (S.T), and Fielding. Atkinson was always the master of Catterick, who tried hard, Humphreys was sound in defence and was ably assisted by Lindley. All the New Brighton forwards played well, and received goal assistance from their half-backs, Jones and Carter being capable schemers.

December 30, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
Eire’s team to play Finland at Helsinki, on Sunday week in the World Cup football tournament includes at inside right Peter Farrell of Everton. Eire would have liked to play other Everton forward, Peter Corr, but Everton pointed out that they are meeting Arsenal at Highbury the day before and that although it was grand to have players capped, the club felt that it should not weaken its own hand in the extent of losing two players in one match. Everton chairman Doctor Cecil Baxter, said last night; “Eire asked for Corr and Farrell. We told them, regretfully, that they could have one or other, but not both. They elected to take Peter Farrell.

September 30, 1949. The Evening Express
Goodison’s First Look at ‘New Look’ Attack
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Everton, with a point per match return this season, Endeavour tomorrow to record their first post-war victory over Charlton Athletic at Goodison Park. It will be the first time the Blues’ followers have seen the “new look” attack in action and it will be Jimmy McIntosh’s first appearance here at outside left, since he played with Preston North End in a cup replay (and scored) at the Park, before we resumed League football. Still Jimmy was a great favourite on the left, wing during his “guest” days here and with Aubrey Powell playing so well there is extreme potency about the new left flank. Billy Higgins is a highly enthusiastic leader, who will worry the Charlton defence to a point of distraction, while Wainwright and Corr have settled down into a sound and penetrative right wing in an attack of tremendous possibilities. The game depends largely on Everton’s ability to put a grip on the lively Charlton attack, led by the elusive and opportunist Vaughan. Form indicates Everton as winners, for whereas they won 1-0 at Middlesbrough last Saturday, the Borough went to London and beat Charlton 3-0. In football however form does not always work out like that and this game will take a lot of winning. Since the war Charlton have twice drawn at Goodison and won once, but this should be Everton’s turn, especially if they play as well as they did against Wolves. Do not forget that the kick-off is 3 p.m. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell, McIntosh. Charlton Athletic; Bartram; Campbell, Shreeve; Forbes, Phillps, Revell; Hurst, O’Linn, Vaughan, Purves, Brown.
Farrell For Helsinki
Peter Farrell, of Everton, will play inside right for Ireland against Finland at Helsinki next week-end. Eire also wanted Peter Corr but in view of their match with Arsenal, Everton felt they could release only one player. Similar action was taken by West Ham.

September 30, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Charlton Athletic, visitors to Goodison Park, tomorrow, are becoming a trifle alarmed at the club’s decline this season. Their lowly league position indicates quite a substantial falling-off from last season’s standard. This is Charlton’s sixth away game this term. Four of the previous five have been lost –three of them by the odd goal. This latter fact may hitherto have been a heartening feature for them, but last week’s home defeat by Middlesbrough emphasizes that much still remains to be done at the Valley before the Londoners can breathe freely again. Everton are not without their own anxieties through this season’s better start and much improved standard of all round displays has encouraged hopes that they will avoid real trouble. Defence is still the Blues’ sheet-archor. Forward problems may be partially solved by recent attacking switches, though most supporters would like to see new blood in the front line. That is easier said than done, however. As Tommy Jones passed his fitness test at Goodison this morning, Everton will field the same side as at Villa Park. Charlton, however, make four changes from last week. Revell, normally an outside left, goes left half in place of Johnson, Hurst returns to the right wing after missing the last seven games, Purves comes in for Lumley at inside left and Brown takes over at outside left. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, Higgins, Powell, McIntosh. Charlton Athletic; Bartram; Campbell, Shreeve; Forbes, Phillps, Revell; Hurst, O’Linn, Vaughan, Purves, Brown.



September 1949