April 1887

Church at Everton
April 2 nd 1887. Football Field
I ventured a fortnight ago to remind Church that Everton had a propensity for knocking pieces out of the biggest clubs, of which they had best beware in their return engagement with the Liverpool club, whom they had them defeated by five goals to three. The form of Everton at Church was “disappointing.” I venture to say that at Anfield the Churchmen were still further disappointed at the Everton form, and that this disappointment was now of the most agreeable description. Fully represented the visitors met Everton short of three such players as Fleming, Dick and Stevenson, and received a very severe castigation. And, what is more, the defeat of four goals to one was borne out by the inequality of the play, the balance in favour of Everton being very heavy. It would be impossible to imagine a contest carried on at a more impetuous pace. So headlong were the rushes of both teams that accidents were inevitable, and as a matter of fact a player on either side was compelled to retire before half-time. Briscoe, the clever Everton forward, broke the bridge of his nose in collision with Gastall of Church, who by the way was in no way to blame for the accident which was due entirely to the rashness of the plucky little forward, for whom the greatest sympathy has been expressed on all sides. Poor Gastell came in for much hooting nevertheless although he did not seem to be greatly affected thereat. Walker of Church hurt his leg immediately after the retirement of Briscoe, and several other players will feel the effects of this heated struggle for some time to come.

The game.
Preliminary passages in midfield, and then the ball begins to travel. Now it is at the Church goal, but in a twinkling Gregson is shooting at the Everton citadel. Beresford and Walker have a perfect understanding on the Church right, and when the latter received close to Dobson, he rounds that player in gallant style, and four minutes from the start it is past Joliffe. Church looked satisfield –Everton grim. To it again, faster than ever. Farmer shoots splendidly, and ere Thorpe can clear his goal, Richards is on him, and the ball is sent home. The pace now grew terrific. The home team were never off the ball, and the Church backs became flurried and excited with the unwonted persistence of the Everton attack. Some of the finest shooting at goal I ever witnessed here took place. Farmer was banging at the Church goal every half minute, and the force and accuracy of his shots were really astonishing. A second goal, then a third, and the visitors were completely overborne. Here occurred the accident to Briscoe, but amidst great enthusiasm Everton continued to press, and the irresistible Farmer fairly drove the excited spectators into an ecstasy by shooting a fourth goal –a real beauty. Half-time immediately arrived. Play commenced slow, continued slow, and the reaction was sometimes remarkable. Several of the home forwards especially Farmer and Costley appeared utterly fagged, and their display was in marked contrast to that in the first half. The visitors were distressed, too, and were more than once derided for an exhibition of childish petulance, as they were often in the sulks one with the other. The monotony was somewhat relieved by brilliant flashes by Holden and Beresford, and a very funny incident excited the risibility's of the crowd. Jim Woods was kicking at the ball and his cap blew off, and “Oh, what a falling off was there !” The Church back joined heartily in the general merriment, which served to relieve the general depression caused by as tame a forty-five minutes' play as can well be conceived of.

The players.
Of the winners Farmer and Costley played brilliantly in the first half, and the other forwards did efficient work Gibson and Higgins played with all the skill of seasoned players, and showed up conspicuously when all the others seemed fagged, Dobson was no whit safer than his confrere the veteran “Tom” at full back, and Joliffe did well albeit somewhat given to unnecessary posturing. In this he contracted strongly with his vis-à-vis the burly Thorpe, who was icily cool and staved off some splendid shots. The backs were the weak spot in the Church team. They completely lost their heads when Everton were pressing, but improved towards the finish. Gastall was the best of the half-backs, whilst Gregson and Smith alone of the forwards did not shine at some point by brilliant play.
Todays matches from Liverpool Courier.
Everton v Oakfield Rovers, at Bootle Ground (final of the Liverpool Cup)
South Shore v Everton at Blackpool
St Peter's Swifts v Southport “A” team at Everton ground (Liverpool Junior Cup)
St Domingo v Birkenhead Rovers, at Stanley Park.

Liverpool & District Cup-Final
Everton v Oakfield Rovers.
Notwithstanding that, at the outset6, the present seasons contest was robbed of much of its interest, a large and enthusiastic crowd assembled at the Bootle enclosure on Saturday to witness the play in the final game. The weather was delightfully fine, and with the turf in good order, some fairly interesting play was anticipated, although as a matter of fact the holders of the trophy were confidently looked forward to gain an easy victory, and this it is needless to say, was achieved to the great delight of the numerous supporters of the Everton-club. It was ten minutes past the advertised time before Richards kicked off in behalf of the cupholders, who had both wind and sun against them. In the first moment of play Briscoe was hurt, and had to retire, leaving Everton to play out the game with ten men. The Rovers, however, were pressed until Wilding relieved, and a brief visit was paid to the Everton end. Eventually Costley with Farmer got away on the left, and after some sharp play in front of the Rovers' citadel Corey sent in a high shot which Griffiths placed outside. The kick from the corner having failed, the Rovers made a demonstration against Joliffe charge, and on the ball being played outside farmer ran brilliantly down the left, but although the parting shot was the best of the play Richards ought also to have scored, the shot going wide from a perfectly open chance and thus when half-time arrived the cupholders were leading by two goals to nothing. McGoldrick having restarted the ball, an immediate raid was made on the Rovers' goal, which was relieved at the expense of an unproductive kick from the corner. The sphere, however, was quickly returned, when Fleming tested the goal-keeping powers of Griffiths to the utmost. Then Richards crossed over in front of the posts, where Costley lay in readiness and a further point augmented the cupholders score. The Rovers were now completely penned and during a persistent fusillade Fleming and Farmer shot over the bar, both narrowly missing the mark. A moment later Richards had hard luck, but the ball being taken up by Farmer, Fleming shot the fourth goal. Now Joliffe was called upon to handle for the first time, in the half, and fouls having been recorded against Richards and Gibson the Rovers temporarily invaded the cupholders' quarters. Shortly afterwards Richards was temporarily invaded, notwithstanding which the Evertonians continued to have the best of the play. Farmer sent in a hot shot, which was followed from a distant range by one from the foot of Higgins. At length Fleming centred well from the right when Costley and Gibson assisted the Rovers' custodian through goal, ball in hand and thus the fifth and last goal was scored. From now to the close of the game the Rovers' citadel was in constant state of siege, but although the ball was constantly hovering around the posts, Griffiths managed to avert further disaster, and for the third time in the history of the contest Everton were the victors being the winners of a singularly one-sided game by five goals to nil. Joliffe held a sinecure in goal, and taking into account the pressure to which Griiffiths was subjected, the Rovers' custodian must be complimented upon his plucky, and at times able, defence of his charge. The teams were as fellows; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; A. Dick and G. Dobson (captain), backs; E. Corey, A. Gibson and M. Higgins, half-backs; G. Fleming, W. Briscoe, W. Richards, G. Farmer, and E. Costley forwards. Oakfield Rovers; - J. Griffiths, goal; E. Griffiths and J. Pickering backs; D. Greenwood, J. Wilding, and Hughes half-backs; C. Jones R. Jones, McGoldrick, G. Paddock, and H. Roberts forwards. At the close of the match the Mayor of Bootle, (Mr. Alderman Jones) presented the cup to the winners, who were loudly cheered, and captain Dobson having returned thanks, the crowd dispersed.

Cricket and Football Field - Saturday 02 April 1887
Everton v. Oakfield Rovers
The interest in the Liverpool Cup competition received a rude blow so far as public interest is concerned when Everton overthrew Bootle in the first round of ties.  The victory of Oakfield Rovers over Stanley last Saturday considerably simplified the task of the present holders in retaining the handsome trophy, and thus today’s final was looked upon as a very simple thing for Everton.  There was considerable doubt as to whether Dick or Briscoe would appear for Everton, and this encouraged their young opponents to look with no little hope towards today’s contest.  The publication of the Everton list, however, showed that with the exception of Stevenson, Everton would place their full strength in the field.  The match took place on the ground of the Bootle club at Hawthorne-road.  Teams; Everton; Goal, Joliffe; backs, Dobson, Dick; half-backs; Corey, Gibson, Higgins; forwards, Fleming, Briscoe, Richards, Farmer, Costley.  Oakfield Rovers; Goal; J. Griffiths; backs, E. Griffiths, Pickering; half-backs; Hughes, Greenwood, Roberts; forwards, C. Jones, R. Jones, McGolderich, Paddock, Wilding.  It will be seen that Wilding, of Bootle, assisted Rovers, for whom he is eligible to play.  Glorious weather prevailed and 4,000 spectators were present at the start.  Everton commenced against the wind and sun, and the game had only progressed a minute when Briscoe, of Everton, put out his ankle and was carried off the field.  Resuming Farmer and Costley travelled speedily down, but Wilding cleverly frustrated a threatening movement.  Everton pressed somewhat, but Corey made a splendid shot, which resulted in a corner.  Oakfield pressed severely, Farmer next dashed splendidly away, but Griffiths met his shot cleverly, and two corners fell to the Rovers.  Play was generally tame, but the good defence of the Rovers prevented the weakened Everton attack from becoming dangerous.  Jones eluded Corey on the Everton right, but a big return by Dick enabled Richards to go strongly down.  From his shot Hughes headed through his own goal.  Fleming added a second immediately from a pass by Richards.  Everton made more headway now.  Farmer was making a big dash when he was called back for offside as the Rovers’ custodian fisted away his shot.  Wilding was next cheered for spoiling a threatening demonstration, but Everton took two corners, Gibson shooting over.  Richards rushed away and made a bad finish to a dashing run.  Wilding centred cleverly but Dick cleared, and as Griffiths missed his kick Fleming looked threatening.  At half-time, the game was Everton two, Rovers nil.  Final; Everton 5, Oakfield Rovers 0. 

The Liverpool Final
April 9 th 1887. Football Field
Everton have again won the local trophy, and their task has never been easier than on this occasion. They had a desperate struggle with Bootle in the first round, but since that time they have never been extended in any one of their ties. The final was played last Saturday at Bootle with Oakfield Rovers, and the attendance showed a very large falling as compared with the finals of other years. The weather was magnificent, but the attendance did not reach 4,000, and the play was never interesting. A most untoward occurrence threw a damper over the whole of the Everton players. The game was not in progress a minute before Briscoe was so badly hurt that he had to be carried from the field. This accident following so quickly on the serious hurt received in the match immediately proceeding, has evoked the heartiest feeling of sympathy for the unfortunate little forward, and looked somewhat ominous for Everton at first. Oakfield Rovers were playing with a rather stiff breeze and a powerful sun at their backs, and play was frequently near the Everton goal. Gradually the Evertonians settled down, and superior tactics at length prevailed, the Rovers goal being twice lowered before half-time. The second half was in favour of Everton for the most part and they won the final tie by the somewhat unusual majority (for such games) of 5 to nil.

The players.
The Rovers gave great promise by their display, and with experience with a better class of clubs will undoubtedly develop into a really good team. Griffiths is a lively goalkeeper, whilst his namesake is a dashing back. Hughes is not unknown, having made his mark as a good half-back before now, and he was very ably assisted by Wilding. The forwards know what to do, that is evident, but they can't do it yet. They never thought of tackling the opposing backs, whose time was not one of anxiety. Perhaps this was lucky for them, for Dick was undoubtedly out of form. Gibson worked harder than any man in the winning team, and Farmer never relaxed his efforts to obtain a point although he was unsuccessful. The cup was presented to the winners by the Mayor of Bootle, and Mr. Houlding (King John of Everton), as he is known locally), returned thanks for his club. The trophy was then conveyed to the Sandon, and if enthusiasm had been lacking at Bootle it was certainly unbounded in the neighbourhood of the Everton headquarters where the team and their friends passed a pleasant convivial evening.

Everton v Padiham
April 9 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
Padiham paid their first visit to the Anfield enclosure, and as great interest centred in the event close upon 6,000 persons passed through the turnstiles. Everton won the toss, and Padiham kicked off. The home team soon began to press, and after about ten minutes' play George scored their first goal amidst cheering; and after some tall kicking had been indulged in by the opposing backs, Everton scored a second point. Farmer then had hard lines in not scoring, his shot just grazing the post. The Padiham began to exhibit better play, and momentarily penned the home team within their lines, but owing to the good defence the visitors were kept from scoring. Play then ruled very even up to the interval, when the local cupholders were leading by two goals to nothing. Everton restarted, and again pressed their opponents. After a quarter of an hour's play Whittle headed a splendid goal for the home team, from a spanking shot by Fleming. After this some give and take play ensued. Then Padiham got a foul in the Everton quarters, right in front of goal, and the ball being well placed Riley got their first and only point. The home team again pressed, and just before time Fleming scored a fourth goal for Everton, who won a fairly interesting game by four goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; Dobson, and Dick, backs; Corey, Gibson, and Marriott half-backs; G. Farmer, Costley, Whittle, Fleming, and George, forwards. Padiham; - Dewhurst, goal; Barnes and Wiate backs; Hudson, Starkie, and J. Thompson half-backs; Riley, Criers, Hacking, Davie, and Thompson forwards.

Association Game
April 9 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
The Oakfield Rovers are beyond doubt the luckiest medallists that have ever run up for the Liverpool Cup. They are a very young and light team, but whilst they deserve the fullest credit for their victory over Stanley, it was not to be expected that they could hold their own against such a well-seasoned and experience team at that of Everton, which during the season has twice drawn with the Blackburn Rovers besides gaining immerable victories over leading clubs. The Rovers, however, were not without the hope of giving their formable opponents a good game, and making due allowance for their sudden transition from the junior ranks, it must be confessed that they succeeded fairly well. For a time the play was of a fairly even character during which Griffiths, as a custodian, exhibited admirable defensive powers. The first goal recorded against him was due to a mistake on the part of one of his colleagues, while the second –which formed the score upto half-time –was the result of a shot which might have been beaten the best of goalkeepers. All the while, however, the cupholders were deprived of the services of Briscoe, who was hurt in the very first moment the play; while later on Gibson, and then Richards, were momentarily placed hors de combat . Still Everton had at times much the best of the play, and adding three more goals, won their third cup victory by five goals to nothing. The Rovers did not play up to their accustomed form. They rarely attempted to dribble or pass trusting rather to straight kicking and quick following up, but in so doing they repeatedly placed the ball in the way of the opposing backs. Wilding certainly played a good and correct game, and only for his exertions the score must have been largely must have been largely increased. Griffiths at back played fairly well, as did also Hughes and R. Jones. On the winning side Joliffe was little more than a passive spectators of the game. Dick was a little careless although he kicked well in the main, while the captain was held in wholesome dread wherever he went. Higgins was as tricky and successful as in his wont, and of the forwards, the most successful were Farmer, Fleming and Costley. Notwithstanding the fact that the match was regarded as a foregone conclusion there were 5,000 spectators on the ground, not the least interested of whom was the Mayor of Bootle, who at the close of the game presented the cup to the winning team. On their way home the Evertonians were loudly cheered, and the evening was spent in friendly congratulations, the happiest of all being Councilor Houlding, whose interest in “the boys” has been much to do with their extraordinary success as a club.

Todays matches
Everton v Hurst, at Anfield.
St Domingo v Kirkdale, at Stanley Park

Everton v Hurst
April 11 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
Another monstre crowd assembled at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, when Hurst were the visitors. The home team were minus Higgins, Richards, Stevenson, and Briscoe, while Hurst had up their full strength. Everton kicked off and during the first half of the game Hurst played with the wind. The latter were soon pressing their opponents, and Gabbott scored the first point for them. Everton broke away occasionally, and Hurst pressed most of the time. Garnett scored a second goal, and as Everton failed to score they were in the interval in a minority of two goals to nothing. During the second half however, the Evertonians, with the breeze in their rear kept the Hurst backs fully employed in defending their goal. Shortly after the restart Whittle put a couple of hot shots between the Hurst posts, and as Eaton failed to stop either Everton were thus on a level footing with their opponents. Shortly following this the home team again scored Dobson doing the trick from a corner. Hurst were now unable to stem the tide of disaster, and from another corner Fleming put a fourth point past Eaton. Shortly before time, Farmer after a bit of good play by the home forwards made a rush down the field and succeeded in getting a fifth goal. This was the last point scored and Everton thus won by five goals to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; A. Dick and Dobson, backs; E. Corey, A. Gibson, and W. George, half-backs; W. Whittle, G. Fleming, G. Farmer, T. Marriott, and J. Costley forwards. Hurst; - Eaton, goal; Walmsley, and Mussey backs; Grimshaw, Entwistle, and Hill, half-backs; Gabott Mellor, Garnett, Lee, and Boote, forwards.

Prescot v Everton Swifts
Played at Prescot on Good Friday, the home team winning by four goals to nil.

Everton v Burnley
April 12 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
The latter paid their return visit to the Anfield enclosure yesterday and as a large amount of interest was taken in the eventfully 6,000 persons were present. Roach started the ball on behalf of Everton, who immediately initiated an attack, after Sugg had kicked away, Everton had a couple of corner kicks, both of which, however, proved fruitless. Dobson levelled a shot at the Burnley citadel, and had hard lines in not scoring as the ball struck the crossbar, and rebounded into play. Abraham cleared the danger, and then Burnley chiefly by a fine passing run on the part of the forwards' got into the Everton quarters, when Joliffe left the goal, and Burnley would certainly have scored but for the timely intervention of Dick. Following this a corner, fell to the visitors, but again Dick was the saviour of his side. Burnley were now compelled to act on the defensive, and Costley put in a swift crosshot, which Fleming failed to put through. Farmer and Costley now showed some fine play on the Everton left and the Burnley backs had great difficulty in clearing. Then Fleming sent in a splendid shot from the right, which landed in McConnell's hands, where upon the visiting custodian kicked the sphere to the centre. Dobson returned and Song kicked out, thus giving Everton another corner. Although Gibson placed well, the danger was averted, and Friel got away along the centre, and as the Burnley forwards were becoming troublesome Dick was compelled to concede a corner. Then Dick took a free kick resulting from a foul for “hands” and the Burnley quarters were again the scene of hostilities. Immediately after a hot attack on the Everton goal, which Corey cleared half-time was announced, neither side having scored. Eriel restarted for the visitors when Farmer sped away on the Everton left, Sugg intercepting his final shot. After Everton had taken a futile kick from the corner, Dick stopped an onslaught by the Burnley forwards. Then McConnell fisted out a shot of Costley's. Corey next robbed Waugh nicely, and Farmer and Roach took the leather well within the Burnley half, but Abraham removed the danger, and a free kick was given Burnley. After Dobson had kicked away, Joliffe fisted out a shot by Waugh. Here Corey was hurt, and had to retire for a short time. A spirited attack was then made on the Burnley stronghold, Dobson putting in a well time shot, which was kicked out of goal, and then Gibson placed the ball outside the posts. Dobson next dashed up the centre, but shot over the bar. Everton was not to be denied and a determined rush was again made to the visitors goal, McConnell clearing in fine style. The Burnley forwards took up the attack, and McFettridge put in a high shot from a distance, which went over the bar. Burnley continued the attack, and at length Kernan from beyond midfield shot a splendid goal –this the first point, being hailed with cheers. Roach again, put the ball in motion, and after Dick had saved, Burnley scored another goal. Gibson afterwards took a free kick in the centre, and Corey another right in front of the Burnley goal, from which a corner kick resulted, the ball finally going over the line. McFettridge then put in a grand run, but a good effort was spoiled by the sphere going outside the posts. A free kick to Burnley in their own quarters was then next item, from which Sugg got down the centre and the Everton quarters were visited, the home team clearing by the aid of a free kick resulting from “hands.” A third point was then added to the Burnley score, Gallacher doing the needful. This was the last point scored and Burnley were left winners of a good and spirited game by three goals to nothing. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Marriott, backs; Corey, Gibson, and Dobson, half-backs; Roach (Oswestry), Fleming, Farmer, Costley, and George forwards. Burnley; - McConnell, goal; Bury and Whittaker, backs; Abrahams, Sugg, and Kernan, half-backs; Waugh, McFettreidge, Haworth, Friel, and Gallacher, forwards.

Association Game
April 16 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton had a return visit from Hurst, and as a drawn game resulted in the previous match a large concourse of spectators lined the field. The visitors came with their full strength, but Everton were minus Higgins, Richards, Stevenson, and Briscoe. Capital substitutes, however, were found, and an easy victory fell to the home team, who won by five goals to two. Garnett and Gabbott scored for Hurst goals during the first half of the game, while the Evertonians falled to notch a single point. During the last forty-five, the tables were turned, and the Councilor's lads won the second of their Easter matches with consummate ease. A reverse however, was sustained on Monday, when the Burnley team, after drawing with Renton, but in a appearance at the Anfield ground. The visitors came without Laing, who was hurt in the Renton match, and Roach (of Oswestry) filled Richards place in the Everton centre. Marriott operated at back with dick, and Dobson went to half. Everton attacked in spirited style, but the Burnley backs were equal to the occasion while Dick at the Everton end kicked in his very best form. The home team certainly had “hard lines” in this half several shots striking the bar while McConnell on several occasions fisted right out of goal. Up to the interval neither side had scored, and the teams changed over with a blank sheet. Upton restarting both teams attacked in a very determined manner, but when half an hour's play had elapsed no score had still been made. Then Kernan shot a splendid goal for the visitors from half-back, the ball just going underneath the bar. Encouraged by this success Burnley again swarmed to around their opponents citadel, and McFettridge scored a second point for them, which was followed by a third from the foot of Gallacher. The Evertonians tried hard top score, but failed to make an impression on their sturdy opponents' defence and when the whistle blew for the cessation of play, Burnley had won a capital game by three goals to nothing.
Todays match
Everton (Liverpool Cup holders) v Aston Villa (English cup holders), at Anfield.
Oswestry v Everton, at Oswestry.
St Domingo v Sefton Rovers, at Stanley Park.

Everton v Aston Villa
April 18 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
The meeting of the English and Liverpool cupholders at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday excited such widespread interest that the attendance, which was the largest of the season, must have numbered eight thousand persons. The arrangements for such a hugh crowd are altogether inadequate, for not only are the barriers frail in the extreme, but so small is the availing standing space, at the entrance side that the people crowded close to the field of play, and only with great difficulty could kicks from the corner be taken. Neither club was fully represented, although in that respect the chances were unimpaired, for whilst the Villa were without Archie Hunter (their captain) Dawson, and Vaughton the Evertonians were minus Farmer, who was assisting his county against Ulster Higgins and Briscoe, the two latter of whom are still invalided owing to the injuries received in recent games. Some little delay was caused at the start, but when the English champions made their appearance they were loudly cheered, as were also the local cupholders who followed a moment later. It was ten minutes beyond the advertised time when the game commenced, the enclosure being already so inconveniently packed in the best sight-seeing places that to move about was altogether out of the question, and thus for an hour and three-quarters the assemblage formed one compact mass. Richards's started the ball and during the first moments of play Warmer was called upon to defend his charge. The Villa now made a run but although Fleming relieved, Brown and Davies took the ball up to the quarter post the sphere eventually being shot outside. The Everton left –Goodall and Pustley – now got clear away and centring well Warmer was again compelled to handle. Shortly afterwards a corner occurred, but although this did prove immediately advantageous the ball was instantly taken in front of the champions' Citadel when from a pass by Goodall to Whittle the latter amidst tremendous applause scored after fifteen minutes' play. Soon after the restart the Villa were penalised for “hands” and Everton, after some very effective heading had a goal disallowed for offside play. The Villa now began to show more prominently, and scouring the ball Allen made a wild shot at goal. The latter with Hodgetts now deveopled a neat bit of play, which Stevenson nipped in the bud, when Macpherson from half-back sent in a shot which only just skimmed over the Villa bar. The visitors now made a raid, and Macpherson having cleared out the invaders, Fleming initiated a further attack upon the champion stronghold when, from a corner kick Goodall show high over the centre of the bar. Dick having again forced the play by a brilliant kick, Fleming passed over to Costley whose shot passed outside the post. Now Fleming made a most brilliant run on the right, but to the disappointment of the spectators Gibson's final shot passed outside, and half-time was reached with a goal standing to the advantage of Everton. Cox restarted, and barely five minutes elapsed when Siddon scored the first goal for the English cupholders, and equalised the record. The restart, however, when Stevenson on the ball, and for a moment the Villa goal, was menaced Coulton relieved, and after a sharp run the ball was for a second time pull through the Everton uprights. Brown the captain this time administering the final touch. The Evertonians were displayed better combination and as the sequel to a sharp attack Whittle shot outside the Villa goal. Twice Everton received the verdict for “fouls” and from the last, after a bully in front of the posts Fleming headed through and equalised the score, amidst tremendous applause. Subsequently Whittle very neatly took the ball away from Siddon, and made a good but unavailing attempt of goal, whilst from a “foul” the ball passed through the Villa goal without being touched. Thus Goodall passed to Fleming who raced away and centred to Whittle whose shot skimmed over after striking the bar. Now Stevenson ran down the right and judiciously got rid of the ball; but although each side strove their utmost to gain the winning point, all their efforts were futile. During the last few minutes of the game the play was of a fairly equal character. Everton having quite as much of it as their powerful opponents. When the whistle sounded for the players to withdraw from the field the ball in the Villa half and a well-contested game remained drawn, with the score two goals each. Teams; - Aston Villa; - J. Warmer, goal; F. Coulton, and J. Simmonds, backs; A. Yeats, R. Siddon, and J. Burton, three quarters backs; A. Brown (captain), R. Davies, O. Cox, A. Alison, D. Hodgetts, forwards. Everton; - C. Joliffe, goal; A. Dick and G. Dobson (captain), backs; A. Gibson, R. Stevenson, and Macpherson, half-backs; J. Whittle, G. Fleming, W. Richards, A. Goodall, and J. Costley forwards.

Everton v Halliwell
April 19 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met last evening for a third time this season, at Anfield enclosure before 5,000 spectators. Everton won the toss, and Hays started the ball on behalf of the visitors who were playing down the slight incline. The teams speedily got to work, both sides showing some excellent passing. Farmer and Goodall got away on the left, and would have scored only for the timely intervention of Fairclough. Fleming then shot over the Halliwell bar. The visitors' backs played grandly, and often prevented the Everton forwards from scoring. Dewhurst and Kelly then showed prominently on behalf of the visitors, but the latter player shot harmlessly over the bar. Then the visitors passed nicely down the field, and Hay with a splendid shot scored for Halliwell, who led at the interval by one goal to nil. Richards restarted on behalf of the home team, who immediately attacked the visitors' goal, but experienced extremely “hard-line” Richards eventually heading over the cross bar whilst a shot by Fleming struck the Halliwell bar. Then the visitors claimed for a foul in front of the Everton goal, but they failed to put the ball through. Joliffe only just saved a shot by Hodson, and in sequence some spendid combined play was shown by the visitors' forwards, who kept the home backs fully employed. Following this the home team went away with a rush and twelve minutes before time succeeded in equalising the game, Fleming doing the needful from a service by Richards. Both teams now strove hard to secure a winning point, but failed, and the match remained in a drawn state both sides having a goal to their credit. The following are the teams; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Corey, Gibson and McPherson, half-backs; Farmer, Goodall, Whittle, Richards, and Fleming, forwards. Halliwell; - Fairclough, goal; Robb and Chadwick, backs; Higgins, Durham, and Walkenshaw, half-backs; Hodgson, Mullin, T. Hay, Dewhurst, and Kelly, forwards.

Rossendale v Everton
April 25 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
Played at Rossendale on Saturday. The visitors won the toss, and played with a strong breeze behind them. During the first half Farmer was very soon busy at the Rossendale goal, but 25 minutes elapsed ere the visitors drew first blood. Half-time arrived Everton leading by one goal to nil. On resuming Rossendale played better, and fairly tested the visitors' defence, but failed to score. The Evertonians now pressed, and just on the point of time two goals; thus Everton were declared the winners of a splendid game by three goals to nil. (Goals Cartwright, Finlay and Gibson)

Bootle v Garston, exhibition match for Thursday Dick, Dobson, Higgins, W. Richards, Farmer playing for Garston.

Everton v Blackburn Olympic
April 26 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
The Olympic visited the Anfield enclosure last evening, and the weather being favourable, there was an attendance of close upon 3,000 spectators. The visitors had much the same team as that which defeated Church on Saturday, the only change being Bethall Robinson of the little club for Fletcher at back, so that the team was still a strong one. The Olympic, who started the ball against the sun, had somewhat the best of the opening play until a raid on the Everton goal was repulsed by Dick. This enabled the home forwards to inaugurate an attack, during which Costley shot over the bar. Everton still attacked, and at length from a splendid centre, by Macpherson, Farmer shot the first goal for the homesters. Encouraged by this success Everton continued aggressive and Richards, with a splendid screw shot off the touchline again lowered the Olympic colors. Joliffe then saved a couple of shots, and the “light blues” had a free kick in the Everton quarters. Nothing however, came from it; and after Richards had shot over Farmer hit the Olympic bar the ball going out of play. A foul for hands, was then given the Olympians right to the mouth of the Everton goal-Higgins clearing. No further points were scored up to the interval, when Everton were two goals to the good. Goodall having restarted the game, the Olympic soon resumed the aggressive, the ball going over the Everton line. Then Farmer got away on the Everton left, only to be checked at the centre. A foul for hands, within the Everton half was the next item, but although Chadwick placed well in front of goal, Joliffe fisted out from beneath the posts. The Olympic were now pressing hard, and several shots were aimed at Joliffe, who, however, kept his charge intact. Robinson next repulsed an attack on the Olympic goal, and then Leyland had to clear a shot by Goodall. The Olympic again and a look-in, and Hothersall shot over the Everton bar. Goodall then came away down the centre, but the Olympic backs cleared. Whittle next spoiled a good opportunity of lowering the Blackburn flag by shooting wide. No further points were scored, and Everton thus won a good game by two goals to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Macpherson, and Gibson, half-backs; Goodall, Whittle, Farmer Costley, Costley, and Richards, forwards. Blackburn Olympic; - Leyland, goal; Chadwick and Robinson, backs; E. Chadwick, R. Cooke, and Gibson, half-backs; Garney, Carlisle, J. Hothersall, J. Southworth, and R. Hotherall, forwards.

Everton v Church
May 2 nd 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met for the third time this season, at Anfield enclosure on Saturday before 6,000 spectators Everton won the toss and Church kicked off, with a stiff breeze. Gregson had a shot which glazered the Everton post. Later on a corner to Church was not improved upon, and then Farmer shot the first goal for the home side. Before half time Costley scored another point and Church at the arrival, were in a minority of two goals. Following the interval Robinson repulsed a hot attack on the visitors goal, but Everton return to the assault, and Goodall notched a third goal for them, which was followed shortly afterwards by a fourth. Then the visitors obtained their first and only goal, and on Everton scoring still another point by this aid of Farmer, the home team were winners of a good game by five goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; A. Dick and G. Dobson, backs; M. Higgins, A. Gibson, and R. McPherson, half-backs; J. Costley, G. Farmer, J. Whittle, A. Goodall, and W. Richards, forwards. Church; - Thorpe, goal; R. Robinson, and J. Woods, backs; Gaskell, Taylor, half-backs; Gregson, Holden, Brown, Walker, and Beresford, forwards.

Everton v Stanley
May 3 rd 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met at the Anfield enclosure last evening before 2500 spectators. Richards started the ball on behalf of Everton, who immediately attacked the visitors' goal. McCallum relieved, and a speedy visit was made to the cupholders end. After Dick had kicked away, some give-and-take play was indulged in, and then Brown from a long shot, scored the first goal for Stanley. Shortly afterwards the same player notched a second point with a good screw shot while a little later a third was got. Still Stanley had the best of the play, and penned their opponents, but no further goals were scored, and half time arrived with Stanley three goals to the good. The visitors restarted against the wind. McPherson having returned Goodall kick, Richards placed the ball outside the Stanley posts. A “corner” was then conceded Everton, but McPherson's kick proved fruitless. Everton were now doing the pressing, but Stanley maintained a good defence. Then Stevenson put in a shot that hit the cross bar and McPherson took a futile corner kick. Dick had a free kick for “hands” McCallum heading out of goal, Jackson then fisted a shot of Costley's and a corner resulted. Briscoe narrowly missed scoring on behalf of Everton, and than Goodall dashed away in a speedy run towards the home goal, when Dobson kicked back to the centre, McCallum headed out of the Stanley goal, and a corner fell to Everton closely following which a free kick was given against Stanley. Dick placed the ball well in front of the visitors goal, but McCallum headed over the bar and gave a further corner to Everton, Costley shot passing outside the uprights. Briscoe then headed Everton first and only goal, and the home team were beaten by three goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Mee, goal; Dobson and Dick, backs; McPherson, Stevenson, and W. Jones, half-backs; Farmer, Costley, Briscoe, Richards, and A. Glider, forwards. Stanley; - Jackson, goal; McCallum, and W. Wilson, backs; G. Wright, J. Wilson, and D. Steel half-backs; Brown, McGoldrick, Goodall, Sherlock, and Shea, forwards.

Everton Football Club
May 4 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
To the Editor of the Liverpool Courier.
Sir –for the last three or four matches played by the above club the cry has been that they ought to turn Joliffe out, or “why” don't they get another man in his place?” All this simply because they have either been beaten or else have had a very tight game, and of course there was no one to blame but the goalkeeper. Now, on Monday evening last although Joliffe was at the clubroom in good time, and prepared to dress and play, he was told by someone in authority that they would not require him as they were going to try a new man in his place. They tried him –result defeat –three goals to one –by a club with whom they have always been able to hold their own. I should think that this is a sufficient answer to those who wish to detract from Joliffe's admirable play throughout the season, and a lesson to some of those in authority, who most likely never kicked a ball in their lives, not to throw over a thoroughly good man simply because he has gone a little out of form. Why don't they deal sharply with one or two who have been seen on the field totally unfit to play? –Yours etc., Play up Joliffe. Anfield, May 3 1887.

Everton v Lancashire Nomads.
May 12 th 1887. The Liverpool courier.
A team of Lancashire players, assuming the above title opposed Everton last evening, and although the weather was unpropitious about 1,500 persons surrounded the popular Anfield enclosure. The Nomads stated the ball, but Everton were the first to attack, and a corner kick fell to them. The danger was removed however, and the visitors went away to the Everton end –Mcpherson getting the ball back to midfield. Here Farmer broke away on the Everton left, and a further corner was conceded to the homesters, but although Costley placed well, the venue of play was removed, and in turn Joliffe was troubled. Having cleared, a nice passing run was indulged in by the home forwards, which resulted in farmer scoring the first goal. The visiting forwards now got in dangerous proximity to the Everton goal Dobson clearing in time. Arthur next put aside a dangerous shot of Costley's from a run by Fleming on the right, and then Gibson took a free kick on behalf of Everton. The ball was well placed in front of thew Normads' goal, but after a short skirmish Chadwick relieved, and play was taken to the centre. Here the Normans were awarded a free kick for Hands but the ball found its way outside. McGoldrick then tried a shot, which Arthur cleared in good style. Everton were now attacking impetuously, and after the Nomads' custodian had successfully negotiated several dangerous shots Briscoe beat him for a second time and half time was shortly afterwards called with Everton leading by two goals to nothing. Upon restarting Costley scored a third goal for the home team, but this was disallowed for off-side play. Then the Lancashire van ran up the field, but Joliffe was not troubled, as McPherson speedily removed the danger, and McGoldrick had a quick shot at Arthur who cleared, Chadwick having staved off an attack by the Everton forwards, a corner kick resulted. Farmer headed out Flemings kick and soon afterwards Joliffe had to fist out a hot shot of Wilmot's at the Everton end. Some give-and-take play ensued, both goals being visited in turn. A nice bit of passing was then shown by the visiting forwards, and a free kick was given them within the Everton half and in close following Gibson obtained a like advantage close to the visitors' goal. The ball was outside, but almost immediately afterwards Farmer scored a third goal for the Evertonians. On again kicking off, the sphere travelled quickly towards the Nomads' goal. The backs transferred play to midfield after a sharp scrimmage and play was again taken to the Everton end; but although the Nomads were powerless to score, just on “Time” a fourth goal was credited to Everton farmer again doing the needful and thus Everton won by four goals to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs McPherson, Gibson and Jones, half-backs; McGoldrick, Farmer, Costley, Fleming, and Briscoe, forwards. Nomads; - Arthur (Blackburn Rovers), goal; Chadwick (Olympic) and Dew (Rovers) backs; Barton (Rovers), Almond (Witton), and Grimshaw (Witton), half-backs; Haresnape (Darwen), Wilmott (Blackburn Rovers), Duckworth (Olympic), and Watson (Rovers), forwards.

Everton v Padiham
May 16 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
This postponed fixture was played off at Anfield on Saturday in the presence of 4,000 spectators. Padiham kicked off and an immediate raid on the Everton goal was repulsed by Dick. Going down the field the Everton forwards were nearly scoring. Farmer heading over the bar. Then Thompson and Davy got away on the Padiham right, but Gibson robbed them on the ball, and the Padiham end was again the scene of hostilities an exciting scrimmage ensuing in front of the visiting goal, and Barnes retrieved. Gibson then took a free kick for hands, in the Padiham half, Whittle making only a poor attempt to score. Everton were now having a lot the best of the game, and after some good play within the visitors half, Briscoe succeeded in placing the first goal to Everton. Padiham now roused themselves, and a raid was made on the Everton goal, the ball going outside. The visitors, however, renewed the attack, and by hard play succeeded in equalising the game. No further points were scored up to half time, the score then being one goal each. Whittle restarted on behalf of Everton and McPherson put in a couple of good shots without effect. Whilst Goodall took a corner, on behalf of Everton. Later on a free kick for hands, was taken by Dick in the centre, but the Padiham backs cleared, and Thompson and Hacking got away towards the Everton goal. The ball, however, went over the line. A vigorous attack was now made on the Padiham goal, and Everton were nearly scoring from a free kick, but the danger was averted, and a run by the Padiham forwards again took play to the Everton end. Dobson relieved, and play was next in the centre Dewhurst then fisted out a shot by Goodall from underneath the bar, and Thompson put in a good run to the Everton quarters, but receiving no help, the danger was speedily removed. Give-and-take play prevailed up to the finish; but no further score was made, and the match ended in a draw of one goal each. Teams; - Everton; - Jolliffe goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; Goodall, McPherson, and Gibson half-backs; Whittle, Farmer Costley, Briscoe, and Fleming, forwards. Padiham; - Dewhurst, goal; Walsh and Barnes backs; Thompson, Starkie, and J. Hudson half-backs; S. Riley, D. Crears, G. Hacking, W. Thompson, and H. Davy, forwards.

Everton v Bolton Wanderers.
May 23 rd 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, and although there was a strong wind blowing and the weather was threatening there was a large attendance, close upon six thousand people witnessing the game. The Wanderers came with a strong team and Everton had also their full strength. The Wanderers started the game, and by a fine combined run a visit was paid to the Everton stronghold. The home backs, however, cleared, but the Wanderers returning, had a kick for a foul given them in front of the Everton goal. Davenport shot into Joliffe's hands, and the home custodian just cleared in time. Then from a fine concerted run by Costley, Farmer, and Goodall, a corner was conceded, Everton from which, McPherson shot a fine goal, thus scoring the first point for the Evertonians. After farmer and Costley had contributed a further good effort on behalf of the home team the Boltonians came away in a dashing tun towards the home goal, Davenport just shooting over the bar. Then Goodall scored a second goal for Everton after a good run. The home team still maintained a vigorous attack, but McKernan and Parkinson played a stubborn back game, and for a length of time kept the homesters from scoring. Bolton then obtained a corner, off Dick, but this proved of no advantage, neither did a foul off Dobson, well in front of the Everton goal. Trainor was next visited, but saved in splendid style. Costley then shot outside the Bolton upright, and after a further corner, was given, Everton, they managed to score another goal, and at half-time were leading by three goals to nothing. Upon restarting, Bolton immediately assumed the aggressive, Brogan just shaving the Everton crossbar with a swift shot. Then the home forwards got away, in a good passing run, Farmer had a shy at goal, and Fleming being too sharp for the Bolton custodian, the latter promptly put the ball past him for the Bolton custodian, for the fourth time. This feat was hailed with tremendous cheering, which had the effect of rousing up the Wanderers, who rushed on the Everton stronghold, and although Dobson cleared, Bolton returned, and Struthers landed the ball in Joliffe's hands who quickly transferred the play to the centre. After some give-and-take play Costley centred finely, and Fleming again effected the downfall of the Wanderers stronghold. Even play ensued, both set of backs playing a hard game, while the forwards on each side put in some good runs. Towards the close of the game Everton attacked the Bolton citadel in a spirited manner, Trainor being called upon several times to save his charge. This he did with success, and no further scoring being done, the home team were left victorious by five goals to nothing. The following are the teams; - Everton; - C. Joliffe goal; A. Dick and G. Dobson (captain) backs; M. Higgins, A. Gibson, and J. McPherson half-backs; G. Farmer, T. H. Costley, A. Goodall, G. Fleming, and W. Richards forwards. Bolton Wanderers; - Trainor goal; J. Parkinson, and McKernon backs; Steel, W. Kerr, and J. Bullough, half-backs; W. Struthers, Haworth, J.K. Davenport, W. Owen, and Brogan forwards.

Everton v Stanley and District
May 24 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
A team of Stanley and District opposed Everton last evening at the Anfield enclosure, and although the weather was dull about 3,500 spectators witnessed the game. Stanley won the toss and on Everton kicking off a raid was made on the Stanley goal, but Goodall relieved, and the visitors got away towards the Everton end, the ball going outside. The Farmer and Costley became prominent on the Everton left, and the Stanley goal was placed in danger until Costley shot outside. A foul was given Everton in the centre, but immediately afterwards tracks were made for the home goal, Jones just intercepting a shot of McGrogor's, while a moment later dick kicked out of goal. Joliffe next fisted out, a fast shot of Allsopp's. The Stanley end again became the scene of hostilities, but Griffiths was to the fore with a kick to midfield. Brown then took a corner kick, on behalf of the district, and although the ball was placed well nothing came of it. Costley had a shy at goal, but made only a poor attempt. A free kick for hands, was them given the district, but Higgins intercepted the shot at goal. No scoring was effected up to half-time, and ends were changed with a blank sheet. McCallum restarted the game on behalf of the district, and the Everton quarters were at once invaded. The danger was removed, and going to the other end, Whittle scored the first goal for Everton with a capital shot from nearly the centre of the field. A foul was next given the home team close by the district goal, and after a short scrimmage Farmer's shot went outside. Wilson and Brown then came down the field, but Brown let a pass from the former travel over the line. The Stanley goal was again attacked a long shot by Dobson being headed out by Goodall. Wilson next came down the field in a good dribble, but Dick got the ball away in time. Farmer, as the result of a run down by the Everton forwards next had an abortive shy at the Stanley goal, while a second later McPherson hit the visitors upright. The district team tried hard to equalise the score, but in this they failed and were beaten by one goal to nothing. Teams; - Stanley and District; - R. Price, goal; Goodall and Griffiths, backs; Wilson, Welsh, and Allsopp, half-backs; Brown, McGregor, Jones, McCallum, and McGoldrick, forwards. Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Jones and McPherson, half-backs; Fleming, Farmer, Costley, Whittle, and Briscoe, forwards.

Everton v Preston
May 30 th 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
The meeting of these noted teams at the Anfield ground on Saturday attracted an enormous crowd, which could not have numbered less than 10,000 persons, the capacious enclosure being densely packed up to the very verge of the line of play. It was the first visit of the North End team, which complass, with the exception that Holmes took the place of Howarth; but Everton were decidedly unfortunate in losing the valuable services of Dobson, their captain, who through lameness was unable to take part in the match, and his absence the position at back was filled by T. Vietch of the Bootle Football Club, which circumstances, it is to be hoped, will tend to a speedy renewal of good fellowship between three leading local clubs. Shortly after the advertised time Archie Goodall kicked off for Everton, and an attack on the North End lines having been repulsed, Joliffe was twice called upon to use his hands, following which Drummond shot wide of goal. Fleming, with Richards in attendance, not brought about a movement, and on the return of the sphere, J. Goodall after some effective play, shot outside; and a moment later, on Dick failing to get in his kick, the North Enders again levelled an abortive shot. A good run by Dewhurst was supplemented by a movement on the part of Drummond, when Dewhurst and Ross made a pretty exchange, the ball finally being rolled over the line. Everton now had a look in, and Archie Goodall was within an ace of scoring, the fine keeping of Rose alone preventing a point being made. Farmer indulged in some tricky play, which greastly amused the crowd, but ultimately Joliffe's powers were severely taxed in repelling a dangerous raid of the North End forwards, prominent among whom were Dewhurst and Gordon. Everton again attacked, when Gordon showed some brilliant play on the right. Farmer, however, got away with equal brilliancy, and a moment later Fleming was fouled in the midst of a magnificent effort, Everton at this juncture obtained a privileged kick on a claim for hands, but the ball passed through goal untouched. Then Higgins narrowly escaped scoring, but J. Goodall, more fortunate than his rival, scored for North End, and on his namesake failing for Everton, the visitors at half time led by a goal to nothing. J. Goodall restarted for North End, and a moment later the same player leveled a hot shot at the Everton goal. A corner followed, and Everton were penalized although later on a kick from the front of goal gave relief. The pressure, however, was instantly renewed, and Gordon sent in a dangerous shot. Subsequently some capital heading was indulged in by Gibson, but on a retrograde movement setting in J. Goodall's shot struck the bar, and the ball fell back into play. On a corner, being taken, Russell headed the second goal for North End, twenty minutes having cleared from the resumption of play. Barely a minute had elapsed when Goodall scored a third, Jolliffe evidently miscalculating the position of the ball in its flight. The sphere had no sooner been restarted then Dewhurst scored a fourth goal from a high shot. The Evertonians now pulled themselves together and for a moment gave trouble to Ross. The ball, however, again gravitated to the lower ground, when Dewhurst, with a spanking shot, registered a further point. The Evertonians made a further spurt, but had no luck for a shot by Higgins passed outside, and although the local men made heroic efforts, they were palpably outplayed, and as the score remained nochanged, North End won a highly interesting game by five goals to nothing. The first half was very evenly contested, but towards the close the splendid combination of Mr. Sudell's famous team told with terrible effect. Still, under the circumstances, the Evertonians are to be complimented on the plucky manner, in which they for so great a length of time held their powerful opponents at bay, and no doubt there is a great future in store for the local team. The following are the sides; - Everton; - C. Jolliffe, goal; Dick and T. Veitch (Bootle), backs; Gibson, McPherson, and Higgins (captain), half-backs; Briscoe, Fleming, Richards, Archie Goodall, and Farmer forwards. Preston North End; - Rose goal; Holmes, and W. J. Ross, backs; Russell, Robertson, and Graham, half-backs; Gordon, A. Ross, Goodall, Dewhurst and Drummond, forwards.

Everton v Accrington
May 31 st 1887. The Liverpool Courier.
Stanley Hospital funds.
A match between these teams were played at Anfield yesterday in aid of the funds of the Stanley Hospital, and as the weather was remarkably fine a crowd of over 3,000 persons thronged the enclosure, amongst those present being the Major of Liverpool (Mr. Jas Poole) Mr. Edward Whitley, M.P., Dr. Costine, Dr. Sheldon, Mr. Counsilor Houling, Mr. L. E. Bennett, Mr. W. T. Brunt, and other gentlemen interested in the welfare of the North end institutions. Acrrington kicked off and a speedy visit was paid to the Everton end, where Chippendale headed into goal. Jolliffe, however, saved splendidly, and on McPherson clearing to the centre, some pretty play ensued on the Everton right, when Richards, after a combined dribble, shot strongly at goal. McConnell, however, saved most brilliantly, when Beresford became prominent among the Reds, and for a while the Everton stronghold was menaced. At length McPherson cleared, and on McLelland missing his kick, Goodall after some finessing in front of goal kicked over the line. The play now became of a desultory character during which Yates blundered by playing the ball over the lines, and a minute later Griffith took a free kick on a claim for hands. Higgins was similarly penalised, but no harm resulted. Shortly afterwards Joliffe was in trouble from a shot by Holden, but the Evertonians saved most brilliantly amidst considerable cheering. Directly afterwards Griffiths succeeded a corner kick, and on the ball being released from the succeeding scrimmage Accrington were in turn very hardly pressed. At length from a kick from this corner Conway headed through a goal and at half time Accrington were leading by one point to nil. Richards restarted the game, and a moment later Bonar narrowly raised adding to the Accrington score. Later on farmer was penalsied for fouling the ball, and after a brief space of time Conway again headed through goal. Successive corners, now fell to the Reds, but although the ball was invariably centred with precision Jolliffe, aided by the backs defended with conscious ability and success. Now Goodall was immensely cheered for a most brilliant run down the centre, but a good opportunity was lost through the ball being played over the line. Briscoe and Fleming were next on the sphere, which again travelled beyond the precious of the field of play. Goodall however, got the ball at the centre, and shot from nearly midfield through goal amidst tremendous cheering. This success appeared greatly to inspirit the Evertonians, but again the Reds broke away, and Beresford scored a magnificent goal for them. Fleming made an immediate, but unsuccessful attempts to turn the fortunes of the day in Everton's favour, but a little later on the same player headed through the visitors uprights the cheering now being of the wildest description. Immediately afterwards Yates scored a fourth point for Accrington, which proved to be the last in the match, and the visitors won a soughly contested game by four goals to two. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Griffiths, backs; Higgins (captain), Goodall, and McPherson half-backs; Farmer, Costley, Richards, Briscoe, and Fleming, forwards. Accrington; - McConnell, goal; McLennan and Stevenson, backs; Chippendale, Wilkinson, and R. Haworth, half-backs; Yates, Holden, Conway, Bonar, and Beresford, forwards.

May 7,1887. Blackburn Standard.
These teams met for the third time this season at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, before 6,000 spectators. Everton won the toss, and Church kick off with the sun in their eyes. The Church forwards showed up in some good passing. Gregson shooting struck the Everton the Everton posts. Later on a corner to Church was not improved upon, and then Farmer shot the first goal for the home team. Before half-time Costley scored other point, and Church, at the interval, were in a minority of two goals. Following the interval Robinson repulsed a hot attack on the visitor's goal, but Everton returned to the assault, and Goodall notched a third goal for them, which was followed shortly afterwards by a fourth. The visitors obtained their first and only goal, and the Everton scoring still another point by the aid of Farmer the home team were the winners of a good game by five goals to one. Teams: - Church: - Thorpe, goal; Robinson and Woods, backs; Gaskell, Taylor, and Tather half-backs; Gregson, Holden, Browne, Walker and Beresford. Everton: - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson, backs; Higgins, Gibson, and McPherson, half-backs Costley, Farmer, Whittle, Goodall, and Richards, forwards.