October 1886

South Shore pulverized
October 2 nd 1886. Football Field
The present doings of the Everton team are strongly reminiscent of the mushroom growth of Preston North End, which burst upon the football world in so astonishing a manner. After the doings of the “Toffees” little doubt was entertained of their ability to defeat South Shore. But the actual result was a greater surprise than any to which Mr. Nisbet's team has treated the football community. One is tempted to doubt the ability of the Blackpool players in the light of their display on Saturday last. They never seemed to have a chance. They had the advantage in weight, but they could make no manner of impression on the Everton defence, which was very strong. As to their defence, it availed nothing against some of the best-combined play ever witnessed in Liverpool. The Everton forwards have not usually been characterised by their combination. Individualism has, indeed, at times threatened to spoil their chance of advance. On Saturday, however, nothing could have been better than the combination displayed whilst their cleverness in front of goal was more pronounced than ever. It need not then be matter for surprise that South Shore had to record a third defeat, and on this occasion of a more decisive nature than either sustained against Port Vale or Halliwell. The home players scored five goals to nil, and had a sixth disallowed which was perfectly valid, and which would have been allowed, had Everton persisted in their claim against the determination of the visitors to leave the field. It would be impossible to single individuals for special notice in the Everton team. Suffice it to say that George Dobson had greatly benefited by his rest and Briscoe and Costley gave promise of more than realising expectations already formed from their previous displays. The nervous sensibility of the Everton spectators respecting the appellation they though good enough for “Stanley” Dick, finds vent I observe in your last issue. Mr. Read's temperate remonstrance is only likely to serve an end opposite to that he had in view. I may, however, here observe that I (“Sam”) am not responsible for the items contained in “Nuggests” and that I entirely agree with him in his remarks about the cowardice of indiscriminate abuse of players by the spectators. But history is an inconvenient monitor, and a reference to its pages afford some awkward reflections on this matter. Sandy played a splendid game last week.

Association Game
October 2 nd 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
The name of Everton has at length become so familiar by reason of successes of the highest order that there will no longer be need to solicit the patronage of the leading clubs; because if results count for anything, Everton must be a club of the first magnitude, but so suddenly has the councilors boys spring to the front that the development is well-nigh as mystifying as the conjuring tricks of the most astute juggler. The season, however, did not commence a auspiciously, but the team had not then got into proper trim, and being perhaps over confident, the colours were struck to Rawtensatll; and although improved form was shown against the Bolton wanderers, a second reverse was sustained, Everton being beaten by three to one. Then came the turn of the tide, and in the following week the local St Benedict's were licked by five goals to nothing. The more important defeat of Darwen by a goal, and the subsequently strengthening of the team, effected wonders, for after Stanley had been disposed of by three goals to one, came the most brilliant performance of all, namely the overthrow of Accrington which club's a week later took down Dumbarton in gallant style. Astley Bridge made an indifferent show, being beaten by a quartette of goals; while the sturdy men of Derby County were next numbered among the slaughtered innocents, a defeat of four goals to one being the result of their first visit to the Anfield ground. Then came Rossendale, but the North Lancashire club fared no better than the bulk of its predecessors; and lastly the Blackpool South shore, a team which included the bulk of the players who last season gained a leading position for their club in the contest for the English Cup. This singularly, was the poorest game of the Anfield series for at no point of the contest were the visitors able to stretch the Everton lads, who won hands down by five goals to nil. besides having a couple of others disallowed. There can be no doubt but that Dick is an invaluable accession to the back division of Everton, while Gibson has repeatedly demonstrated his worth in the immediately rare of the forwards of whom Briscoe (a Benedict) has proved worthy of his place. The rest are well-seasoned players that may always counted upon to render a good account of themselves.

Everton v Fleetwood Zingari
October 4 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met in the first round of the Lancashire Junior Cup at Anfield, on Saturday before 3,000 spectators. Everton had only a second rate team, but nevertheless claimed a victory by nine goals to nil. During the first half of the game play was pretty even, Everton scoring two goals to nil both put through by Briscoe. Afterwards Everton had all their own way, and scoring seven more goals, won as above stated. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe goal; T. Marriott and W. George backs; Corey, F. Parry, and M. Higgins, half-backs; Briscoe Crosby, Costley, Gurley, and W. Richards, forwards. Zingari; - Porter, goal; Billington, and Threlfall, backs; Wilson, Collinson, and Rigby, half-backs; Johnson, Pratt, Singleton, Martin, and McGreevie forwards.

Everton Junior Cup Team
October 9 th 1886. Football Field
It must have looked anomalous to find the name of Everton figuring amongst the Juniors last Saturday. Five first team men, four resuscitated players, and two-second team players made a very tried company, but they got into very fair working order before the finish of the match. As a corcerning the renown of the club, this competition is not likely to effect great things, as we are to judge from the attendance at the Cup tie last Saturday, there is a feeling amongst the Everton supporters that their team should go on to endeavour to secure the trophy. Close on 4,000 spectators were attracted to the ground, but the receipts was exceedingly small. Fleetwood do have a long apprenticeship before them if their intend to ever be anything but Juniors. Their were few interesting episodes in this match, Everton won by nine goals to nil. The regular team men of the Everton team did as they liked. Costley dodged and dribbled as he liked, Briscoe found little obstacle to his progress, is a smart youngster of promise, and Parry bears a striking resemblance in his face to his brother. This team might with training together make a bold bid for the Junior Cup but in the absence of facilities for such notice they can scarcely hope to cope with the Juniors in the competition.

Association Game
October 9 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
Fancy Higgins and Marriott, two of the oldest members of the Everton club, posing as “juniors.” The exigencies of the occasion, however, required that the cracks should stand down, for it was a Lancashire Junior Cup contest, and for the nonce the professional element mingled with the enthusiastic crowd of 3,000 spectators who were not loth to give a hearty welcome to the Fleetwood Zingari. It was, however, a very one sided game for to use an apt phrase, the strangers “were never in it.” Evidently the now wide spread Everton prestige had its full effect, for when a breach had once been made the local amateurs piled on goal after goal, so that when the friendly whistle piped a respite the Zingari were beaten by nine goals to nil. The victors are to be congratulated on their success, and should they so determine the chances are favorable that the genial host of the “Sandon,” will become the custodian of a brace of cups during the present season, in addition to the handsome Shield won at the Liverpool Athletic Ground early in the year.

Everton v Bury
October 11 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
Played at Anfield before 5,000 spectators. In the first half Farmer scored twice for Everton and Higgins once. Afterwards Bury played up in better form, but in spite of all their efforts Stevenson scored for Everton amid great cheering. Bury kicked off with the wind, and after some hard play Barnes scored the first and only goal for his side. After this there were some good play on the part of the home team, but as the visitors defended well, no more goals were scored. Everton therefore were the winners by four goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Marriott backs; Corey, Stevenson, and Higgins, half-backs; George, Briscoe, Gibson, Costley, and Farmer forwards. Bury; - Wright, goal; Ross and Ghent, backs; Barnes, Clarke, and Malpass, half-backs; Deacon, Entwistle, Dougler, Bardon, and A.N. Other, forwards.

Everton “A” team v Postoffice.
October 15 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played on Wednesday (October 14) on the Everton ground, and after a fast and evenly contested game a draw resulted, each team scoring four times. In the first half Everton played but nine, and in the second ten men, though these included Joliffe, Dobson, Dick, and Finlay –no mean defence for a team like the Postoffice to face. Playing but one full back for the greater part of the game Everton at times placed their opponents well up with his team, often prevented a run being made by the visitors under pain of being “off-side.” The Postoffice played a capital game as did their opponents especially Dick, Dobson, and Richards.

History Repeats Itself
October 16 th 1886. Football Field.
One of the finest games witnessed on the Everton ground last season was that with Bury. The Everton supporters had evidently a lively recollection of that spirited contest, for they turned up in large numbers to witness last Saturday's march with this rising club. The home team was weakened by the absence of Fleming and Gibson, whilst the loss of Wilding necessitated a rearrangement of the front rank. George went to his old position on the right wing, Higgins moved forward, Dobson took the place of Gibson, and Stevenson that of Higgins at half-back, and Tom Marriott again came to the assistance of the team, of which he and “Mike” are now the only relics of the past. Doubts might well have been entertained of the ability of this team to maintain the splendid record of the club, but they proved equal to the occasion. The Bury team is a very fair one. There are players included in the eleven of known and tried capacity, notably Malpas and Pollock. The sandy-haired Scot once assisted against Bootle, if my memory serves me correctly, so that he was not quite a stranger at Anfield-road. Gent, a full back not of gigantic proportions, was greatly admired, and Wright, the goalkeeper, was a “terror.” The other players are of fair average ability, so that the team is a very serviceable one.

Finest Match at Everton.
There are many who avow that the match of Saturday was some of the finest ever played at Everton. It was fast and exciting to a degree. Everton played with the win during the first half. Bury appeared likely to score several times at start as Dick was not quite so safe as usual. No sooner, however, did Everton get into range than the Bury goal was reduced, Farmer and Briscoe coming in for considerable cheering for their joint production of the first goal to Everton. A second goal was shortly added by Higgins, and then a most desperate struggle took place in the Bury quarters. Everton closed in and Bury put their shoulders together, and for a space excitement rose to fever heat, and at last found a vent in deafening cheers when Farmer again scored for his side.

A Stirring Scene.
It was one of the most stirring scenes ever witnessed in a football match. Shot after shot was kept out in marvellous fashion, but the characteristic tenacity of the Everton forwards at length prevailed. Bury showed up better in the second half, and held their own, each side getting a goal, so that Everton won by four goals to one.

A Friendly game at Everton.
A friendly game between the Everton (“a team”) and Liverpool Post Office was played on Wednesday on the Everton ground. After a fast and evenly contested game throughout, a draw resulted –each side scoring four goals. During the first half Everton played but nine, and in the second half ten men. During the greater part of the game Everton played but one full back. The P.O. played a capital game throughout, as did their opponents, especially Dick, Dobson, and Richards.

Association Game
October 16 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
Some thousands of spectators packed the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, when the Bury team paid their first visit to the seaport. The Evertonians were able to dispense with the services of Dobson their captain, Wilding, and Fleming, and yet managed an easy victory by four goals to one much to the delight of their singularly enthusiastic supporters. The “Farmer's boy” who in the earlier matches experienced the most aggravating luck had the good fortune to place a couple of goals while Higgins and Stevenson each scored one. Bury, for whom Barnes notched the one point gained, played better as the time wore on although the cupholders had the best of the game throughout.
Today's matches
Everton Swifts v Stanley 2d teams, at Anfield.
Hurst v Everton at Hurst

Everton v Hurst.
October 18 th 1886. The Liverpool Mercury
This match was played at Hurst, near Ashton, on Saturday in wretched weather, and in the presence of 1500 spectators. The ground was in very bad condition, and consequently the play was not of a very high class. Everton were without their two best forwards Farmer and Fleming and Hurst suffered from the loss of Burns their clever centre. Everton were the first to attack strongly, a goal being scored from a free kick, after a quarter of an hour's play. Hurst strove hard to equalise and had not the best of luck, so that when half time arrived Everton led by a goal to nil. The second half was very exciting for after Everton had obtained a second goal the home players put in all they knew Grimshaw first scoring a point whilst not long afterwards the teams were placed on an even footing amidst much cheering. Encouraged by these successes, the Hurst players redoubled their exertions, and their attacks were with difficulty starved off. When time expired a hard and even fight had ended in a draw of two goals each.

Football notes.
Everton for the first time this season played an out match on Saturday, the club they met being Hurst the first winners of the Manchester Cup. The weather was wretched, and the ground in vile condition. Accurate play was a matter of great difficulty, and as Everton were not fully represented, they were lucky to escape defeat. Farmer was engaged with the Lancashire team at Dumbarton, and Fleming was also absent. Richards was again drafted into the eleven, and played a very fine game while C.C. Jones a player from Newton, who made several appearances last season with the Cambrians was given a trial and made a promising start. Everton had the advantage of the opening proceedings and scored the first two goals, but Hurst played up very strongly afterwards, and after considerable pressure, the Everton citadel was twice reduced, and the game ended in a draw of two goals each. Hurst have experienced a heavy loss through the removal of Burns the Lancashire cricketer and Hurst centre, to the South of England where he has obtained a lucrative engagement. Everton have now a very stiff task before them, but looking to their antecedents they may be expected to face it with a light heart. Next Saturday they meet Bootle in the Liverpool Cup tie the following Saturday Glasgow Rangers in the National Competition whilst this is to be immediately followed by a struggle with the holders of the Lancashire Junior Cup. Meanwhile Fayer late of Everton, who had been in America for some time, but who played for Stanley on Saturday against Oakfield Rovers, who was assisted by Wlding the ex-Evertonian and now Bootle player.

Athletic News - Tuesday 19 October 1886
From reliable information I have just received, the Association game in Liverpool would appear to be on the point of undergoing a somewhat remarkable development. Mr. John Houlding, a city councilor, an opulent brewer, and generous patron of sport to boot, purchased, some three years ago, for a sum of £6,000, the land now known as the “Anfleld enclosure,” the headquarters the Everton Club, and which, I hear, is to be remodeled, and a grand stand built, while at the main entrance will be erected a palatial hotel, at a cost of some £3,000. The recent successes of Everton no have doubt stimulated this lavish outlay, such action being possibly accelerated by the alleged maneuvering of a rival firm.
Hurst v Everton
Everton nearly had their unbeaten record spoiled on Saturday, when they made a draw with Hurst.  The ground at Hurst did not suit the Liverpool men.
The Hurst people are very demonstrative.  Great Lever had cause to think so on Saturday week, whilst last Saturday George Dobson was struck on the face by one of his opponents.  The Everton captain very properly allowed the matter to drop, but if these things are reported to the Lancashire F.A., they won’t. 
One of the warmest matches in Lancashire next Saturday will be at Bootle, when their dear neighbours of Everton pay the Bootle Club a visit for a purpose of proving their right to hold the cup.  We shall have a representative there. 

Association Game
October 23 rd 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton, with a team much below its normal strength essayed the task of lowering the colours of Hurst, a team which enjoys considerable repute in the Manchester district. Good judges foresaw that the Evertonians had no light task on hand, and so it proved, for after a hard fought game in which Everton had by far the best of the play, a draw of two goals each was the result. The Hurst men it is said, played a characteristic game in which gentleness is not regarded as an essential element regarding which we shall learn more when the time for the return visit to Anfield comes round.

Liverpool Cup-first round
Bootle v Everton
October 25 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met at the Hawthorne road enclosure on Saturday, and so great was the interest centred in the event that there could not have been less than 10,000 persons present and who watched the game with a keenness in local matches. Long before the time announced for the commencement of play the stand was crowded, and all the best positions were appropriated by the early arrivals. It was fully ten minutes after the advertised time when a hearty cheer welcomed the “Stripes” who were the first to make their appearance upon the field of play. The applause had scarcely subsided when Dobson, the Everton captain, led forth the victorious cupholders, and for a full minute the cheering was general and hearty in the extreme. The Bootle men looked well and confident, nor had they overrated their powers on the actual play, much of the finest possible description. The Evertonians, who were clad in their span new jerseys and pants also made a favourable impression, but although they were without Dick and Wilding, the supporters of the local champions –and they were evidently present in thousands –were beaming with confidence as to the result. All being ready for the fray “Wal” Richards started the ball from the central ring, and travelling down the left Joliffe kicked out well to midfield. Now Everton got a throw in near the corner, but without result, and immediately there ensued a protracted and exciting scrimmage in front of the Everton goal. Directly afterwards one of the Bootle forwards made an abortive shot, when Farmer made a dashing run on the left. Aided by a faint breeze, and with the ground in their favour, the “Stripes” swarmed within the cupholders quarters, where a claim for “hands” off George, was promptly conceded, the ball eventually being shot, over the bar. Again Farmer relieved his side most brilliantly, but Hooper returned down the centre, and Joliffe fisted out in splendid style. Galibriath next made an abortive shot at goal, and from a corner kick the ball was again sent soaring over the Everton fortress. The presence had been momentarily relieved, when T. Vietch rushed up, and by a splendid kicked renewed hostilities within the Everton lines. A little later Morris and Anderson took the sphere in front of the visitors' uprights, when an excellent chance of scoring was spoiled by Hooper kicking out. Still the Evertonians were besieged during which period Morris sent in a grand overhead shot which only the vigilance of Joliffe prevented taking effect, and first half was reached without a point being scored by either side. On Hooper restarting, Morris sent a splendid shot without avail, but although the danger was cleared, Higgins was called upon to render signal service to his side notwithstanding which a further spankling shot was levelled at the Everton citadel, which went wide, greatly to the relief of the cupholders within a foot of the post. At length the Evertonians went away with great dash, and Roberts had the utmost difficulty in saving his charge. Some sharp skirmishing now took place in front of the Bootle uprights, which however, remained intact, the Bootle defence being of the most brilliant decription. Richards initiated a further attack, and danger was developing when T. Vietch came to the rescue in the most gallant fashion. Directly afterwards Farmer sent in a long shot from the left, and on Roberts blundering, Briscoe rushed the ball through the posts amidst tremendous excitement. Although Richards now conceded “hands” no harm resulted, for Gibson cleared the ball out of a scrimmage and again the “stripes” were pushed back upon their lines, and during the ensuing struggle the ball was for the second time put through goal. From this period Everton had a trifle the best of the play, which was still fast and full of exciting incidents. Within a minute and a half of time Bootle were again pushed back, and on the whistle being blown on a claim for a “foul” the spectators mistook the official signal as the usual notification for the termination of the game and bursting through the barriers it was found to be quite impossible to play out the remaining time and the teams consequently retired to the pavilion close by. Afterwards Dobson the Everton captain took his men on the field and as the Bootle captain failed to responded, the match was claimed by the cupholders, but we understand that a protest was lodged against one of the Everton players, and the whole facts will be laid before the executive of the Liverpool and District Association for decision. Much of the play was of the highest order, and the Bootle men of whom T. Veitch shone conspicuously, were never seen to greater advantage. The changes in the team did not work well for the cupholders, who greatly missed the services of Dick, who it should be stated was ineligible to play in the match. Teams; - Bootle; - Roberts, goal; T. Vietch, and W. Veitch, backs; F. Woods, J. Rogers and G. Galibrath, half-backs; Anderson, Hutton, Hooper, J. Morris, and Roberts, forwards. Everton; - C. Joliffe, goal; Dobson (captain) and George backs; Corey, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Costley, W. Richards, Fleming, and Briscoe, forwards.

Everton Football Ground –A Suggestion
October 27 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
To the Editors of the Liverpool Courier.
Sir, - I see that a long needed want has been supplied by the erection of a bandstand on the ground of the Everton Club. Might I suggest the issue of season tickets or a certain number of tickets at a somewhat reduced price for admission to the stand. It would also be well now that the damp season is upon up, and the winter is in close proximity, if the committee would kindly see that the reserved portion of the ground is covered with cinders. It might also, with advantage, at the same time be sloped. –Yours, etc., J.A.

An Exciting Cup Tie at Bootle
October 30 th 1886. Football Field
(By “Rambler.”)
A Fight for Supremacy.
A few years ago an exciting cup-tie or anything else in connection with Association football was unknown in our big port. Bootle and Everton were, I believe, the first to start the game, and Bootle and Everton are still the most able exponents in the district. In 1882-3 the Liverpool Cup competition was inaugurated, when Bootle won it. Since then it has always been a fight for supremacy between them and Everton, and last year they met in the final tie, when Everton won. This year they were doomed to fight in the first round, and when I received orders to betake myself to the Bootle cricket ground I made up my mind for a bit of fun. I discovered the best way of getting to the ground was taking the express to Liverpool and returning to Kirkdale. On the platform I came across Mr. Sloan, the captain of the team that won the cup for the first time, and the train was soon packed. We had a scramble to get up the steps at Kirkdale, the railway officials being forced half way up in order to effect the proper collection of tickets. The ground is within three minutes' walk of the station, but on our arrival we could not see a chance of getting inside at the legitimate entrance, and scrambled over the hoarding, several other following our example.

A Good Gate.
The ground is particularly well adapted for football. A handsome pavilion is at one end, and several noted Liverpool football enthusiasts were eyeing the gate with considerable pleasure. Mr. Lythgoe, the energetic secretary of the Association, was no doubt congratulating himself on the success of his Cup Competition. Mr. Nisbet, the secretary of the Everton Football Club, was waiting impatiently for the start; whilst Mr. Heard, the secretary of the opposing organisating, seemed to be taking an active interest in the collection of the coin of the realm. At length the Bootle team put in an appearance and were greeted with loud cheers from their supporters. The Everton lot were a long time in turning out, and they were also applauded most heartily. By this time round the ropes presented an imposing scene. They were literally packed, and there must have been about 10,000 present –the largest number ever seen at a football match in Liverpool.

Roar of Excitement
The officials went out, and after protest had been lodged by both captains the fray commenced, Bootle playing with the wind. I ought to say that each side had a couple of men away who were ineligible. Bootle soon went to the front, but Captain Dobson put in a big lift and Farmer and Costley made tracks. This sort of things was kept up for some time, and there was a continual roar of excitement all round the ground. The players were not over gentle, and if one got to the ball before the other, and kicked it away, the rush of the unsuccessful one was kept up, and generally terminationed in the downfall of the kickist, which the one who had retained his perpendicular would view with a gratified smile for a second, and then rush off in quest of further victims. The floored ones seemed to take the occurrence as a matter of course, and the next minute would probably be found in the same occupation.

Hard Lines and Bad Shooting.
After a time Bootle fairly pressed, and nothing but hard lines and bad shooting –two disagreeable things –prevented them from scoring. It was seldom the Everton forwards were dangerous, the defence of the brothers Veitch, especially Tom, being superb, indeed I may say at once I have seldom seen better back play. The roughness continued, the players got excited, the spectators boiled over, and gradually came on the wrong side of the lines. This caused a little inconvenience, and the endeavours of a posse of amateur constables were not sufficient to keep them in their legimate portion of the field. Gibson, a Bootle truant, seemed to be special but of a section of the spectators, but he was little worse than most of the others, and not as bad as some. There were few claims for fouls, the players being too intent on the game to notice such trivial matters as hacking, tripping, and pushing, in fact this horseplay seemed to amuse the spectators as much as anything.

First Blood.
As I have said the first half was much in favour of Bootle, but when the whistle blew they had not managed to put the ball between the uprights. It was now expected that the Everton people would win hands down with the steady breeze in their favour, but it was soon apparent that Bootle had not thrown up the sponge. One would have thought that the extraordinary exertions of the players in knocking each other about like ninepins would have taken some of the steam out of them, but they had evidently been in training for a little horseplay, and the “amusement” was kept up. The game itself was much more interesting and exciting, for both sets of defenders were kept on the alert for some time. Bootle once claimed a goal, but their umpire, with far more honesty than several I could name would not allow it, for the ball undeniably went on the wrong side of the post. There was nothing done in the scoring line until about twenty minutes had elapsed. Briscoe was stood offside, but the goalkeeper, whose nerves would doubtless be a little upset with the yelling of the small boys who got as near him as they could, let the ball drop, put Briscoe on side, and the little Evertonian, who was the best forward on the field, lost no time in registering No.1.

Everton again score.
After this the Everton men had as much of the game as their opponents had the first half. The spectators got several yards over the goal line at the Bootle end, and once the referee stopped play until they retired. Play continued, the Bootle men made several plucky attempts at the Everton goal and on one occasion had a glorious chance, George saving just in time. The Everton forwards seemed to improve a little and at length, following a scrimmage, the ball was kicked through and rebounded into play off the boys behind. This was a settler, and the Evertonians portion of the crowd consequently shouted themselves hoarse. The Bootle captain spurred his men on for a final effort, but a minute and a half from time the ball hit the spectators, and the play going on the referee blew his whistle.

The Crowd Stop the Game.
The company present evidently thought this was the finish, for they rushed on the ground, and further proceedings were delightfully mixed up. The playing portion was covered with the spectators, and the combatants were squandered up and down. Mr. Bentley, the referee, was appealed to as to what should be done, and after asking the Bootle captain if he wished to play the minute and a half, to which that gentleman responded “Certainly,” he said they must play. But what about clearing the field? Well, the referee had nothing to do with that, it would have to be cleared before they could play. However, this was an impossibility, and the players were chaired off to the pavilion, where several excited arguments were indulged in. At length Dobson took his men on the ground again, but Bootle were partially undressed and declined to follow.

Everton v Glasgow Rangers.
October 30 th 1886. Football Field
The visit of the crack team to Anfield Road has been looked forward to with great interest. During the week there have been rumours that Everton intended to scratch and play their full team, Dobson, and Farmer being ineligible. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson, backs; Corrie, Gibson, and Higgins half-backs; Fleming, Briscoe, Richards, Costley, and Farmer, forwards. Rangers; - Chalmers, goal; Gow and McCartney, backs; Cameron, McIntyre, and Muir, half-backs; Fraser, Peacock, Higgie, Lawrie, and Buchannan, forwards. Referee, Mr. J. J. Bentley. Everton scratched and played their full team, Everton started and Lawrie immediately ran down grandly, his shot being splendidly stopped by Joliffe. Briscoe then took the play into the Rangers' quarters, but Heggie and Fraser quickly returned, and two corners fell to the visitors, who continued to have the best of it, Heggie scoring the first goal 15 minutes from the start. Everton played better now, and obtained two corners, splendidly placed by Costley, and excellent play on the right menacing the Rangers' goal. A beautiful dribble by Briscoe ended in Costley shooting hard at Chalmers, who gallantly responded, but Everton immediately had the hardest lines. At half-time the Rangers were one goal to Everton nil. The Everton men commenced well in the second half, and for a time had the best of it. The forwards passed well but shot badly, and experienced hard lines. The Rangers then played up better and faster, putting in splendid runs, and once Heggie got clear away, but Joliffe managed to save. The Rangers claimed a goal off a free kick, but it was disallowed, and an even game ended in favour of the Rangers by one goal to nil.

Association Football
October 30 th 1886. The Liverpool Courier.
From the earliest days of Association in Liverpool, the annual matches between Everton and Bootle have excited liveliest interest, but at no period has excitement run higher than at the present time. Year by year the battle for supremacy has been waged, and with each season there have come a host of fresh and enthusiastic patrons until at length the transition is little short of the marvelous. Last Saturday the team met at Hawthorne road in the first round of the Liverpool cup contest, and so great was the interest in the event that an excited multitude, numbering close upon ten thousands persons assembled to witness the play. Both teams have changed very materially so much so, that the only players who took part in the early cup contests were Rogers for Bootle, and Higgins for Everton. The cupholders were with out Dick and Wilding, and Holt was unable to assist Bootle, so that Everton had a trifle the worst of the deal. Still both sides were auguine o0f success, the confidence of the Bootle men being amply justified by their generally superior play during the first half of the game. Good chances, it is true, were thrown away by weakness in front of goal, bit in more than one instance Bootle had the most perverse luck. For twenty minutes even after the change of ends Bootle played the stronger and more artistic game. The Higgins suddenly broke away on the left and sent in a shot, in negotiating which Roberts fatally blundered, while later on the ball was again put through during a scrimmage, the cheering on both occasions being of a most remarkable character. No longer needing the oft-repeated exhortation to “play up,” Everton now unmistakably gained the ascendancy, but unfortunately the game, owing to a misapprehension on the part of the crowd, came to a close a minute and a half before time, the result of the actual play being two goals to nil in favour of Everton. Veitch, at full back, played magnificently, his display being quite up to the international form; while of a smart lot of forwards Morris was seen to the best advantage. Of the Everton back division, George proved a poor substitute for Dick, but Joliffe in goal could not have been excelled. Higgins played well at half-back, and of the forwards, Farmer, Costley, and Briscoe, were the best, the weakest point being Richard's central play, which was not nearly so good as Hooper's who has greatly improved since he threw in his lot with the Hawthore road club.
Today's matches.
Everton, v Glasgow Rangers, at Anfield
Skelmersdale v Everton Swifts, at Skelmersdale