February 1888

Dan Kirkwood and Dan Doyle
Falkirk herald –Saturday 1 February 1888
Excitement was caused this week by a rumour that Dan Doyle and Dan Kirkwood were away back to Broxburn to work. They were, but it was only to see about 16 of their old chums away to America.

Association Game.
February 4 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
Fortune continues to deal hardly with Everton, whose latest venture was against their old opponents the Darwen team, by whom they were defeated by five goals to two. Everton had to make the journey without Dobson, their captain, but as the Barley Bank team were without Joe Marsden at back, the chances of neither were thereby impaired. For a length of time the play was of a fairly even character, but no sooner had Darwen scored then Roach, from a pass by Archie Goodall, set up an equalising point. Again the current of the play set in favour of the “Darweners” and before the interval arrived Smalley had succumbed to successive shots by Holden and Smith. Following the charge of ends the home team pressed heavily, and were at length rewarded with a fourth from the foot of Smith, to which Farmer replied on behalf of Everton. Darwen, however, were equal to a final effort, and as Smith again banged the ball past Smalley, a decisive victory was gained. Five goals to two reads in curies contrast with the result arrived at in the recent match between Everton and Witton, the latter of whom, after twice beating their opponents succumbed by two goals to nothing. Such a result was certainly not anticipated neither could it well be under the changed conditions of the Everton team, and therefore there are not wanting –uncharitable critics who incline to the belief that as the Wittonians obtained a substantial retainer, it mattered little to them whether they won or lost the game.

February 4, 1888. The Blackburn Standard.
These teams met at Barley Bank ground on Saturday, before about 200 spectators. At ten minutes to three Roche started the leather in the teeth of a piercing wind, and at once the game was taken into Everton territory, the ball going out on two or three occasions. The visitors' forwards then braced themselves together, and racing off to their opponents' end, Goodall shot through. The whistle had, however, just previously been blown, and the point did not count. From the free kick in midfield the homesters burst off to the Everton goal, and J. Shorrock had an easy chance of scoring, but he mulled the chance miserably. Darwen won two corners, and then the visitors' forwards woke up, and by some pretty transferred the play to the home end. Roche sent in a splendid shot, but Holden was on the alert and fisted out, Eyton-Jones directly afterwards kicking past the posts. A minute later a corner was gained, but this was got safely away, and Everton once more forced on the defensive, J. Shorrock failing in an attempt at scoring. The pressure was still kept up, and after some severe struggling, in which Dick got his knee injured, Owen scored the first goal, the game having then been in progress twenty-five minutes. From the kick out Everton at once made tracks for their opponents' citadel. The backs tried hard to prevent their progress, but they were successfully eluded, and Goodall banging the leather in, Roache gave it the finishing touch, the score thus being equalised. Spurred on by their supporters, the Darweners strove hard to again obtain the lead, and for a few minutes it appeared as if the visitors' defence would be broken through. Time after time was the ball sent in, but Smalley and Dick worked hard, and eventually sent their opponents away empty handed. A momentary visit was made to the home fortress, but a few minutes later the ball was again dancing about in dangerous proximity to Smalley's charge. Twice did that player save, but despite his and Dick's utmost exertions they could not keep their goal intact, Holden being responsible for the Darwen second point Smith followed with a third a minute later, and at the interval the visitors were in a minority of three goals to one. Immediately on resuming, Everton started off with a will, and took the ball to the home end. Leach pulled them up, however, and with a hugh kick transferred play to midfield. His forwards took up the running and made tracks for Smalley's goal, where they were successfully tackled by Dick. A lot of even play ensued, either side struggling to make an impression on their opponents' citadel, and both being denied victory. After twenty minutes there was a furious rush of Darwen forwards and Smith added a fourth goal. Farmer next put in a good run, but finished with a bad shot. Smith made a good reply, and then Farmer centred and Fleming scored a second goal, a rather easy one. The game again became a bit slow, the only feature being the couple of clever saves by Smalley. Holden added a fifth goal, and Darwen won by five goals to two. Teams; Darwen; Holden, goal; Ireland and Leach, backs; Owen, Thornber, and Marsden, half-backs; B. Dimmock, H. Shorrock, J.C. Holden (Wigan), Smith, and J. Shorrock, forwards. Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Fayer, backs; Higgins, W. Jones, and Nidd, half-backs; Fleming, Goodall, Roche, Farmer and Eyton-Jones, forwards. Referee, Mr. Joseph Hartley, Accrington.

February 6, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Between 3000 and 4000 spectators turned up at Anfield-road, on Saturday, to witness the above match. The visitors brought a strong team, and Everton was somewhat strengthened, R. Jones, who was met with an accident to the knee a fortnight ago playing centre half-back, and Roach partnered Farmer. The visitors won the toss, and Eyton-Jones kicked off. Burnslem right wing were soon busy, and Dobson gave hands close in, but danger was averted by Dick sending the ball down the field. Farmer and Roach did a tricky run, and Ramsay sent the ball to the other end, Dick clearing a nice shot by Elston. Fleming got possession and centred, Roach scoring the first goal for Everton, five minutes from the start. From the kick off Burslem became busy, and Everton got hands. Dick took the kick, and Fleming headed over the bar. Continuing to press, Roach ran the ball out, and Costley just shaved the upright. Ditchfield and May were now active on the visitors' left and Smalley had to clear a stinging shot from the former. After Fleming had sent in a beauty to Morgan, the home custodian was called upon to negotiate one from May. A neat bit of passing by the home left transferred play to the other end, Roach falling as he was about to shoot. A foul was awarded Everton, and from the free kick Farmer got the leather and passed to Costley, who missed an easy chance. May paid a visit to Smalley, and R. Jones conceded a corner to save, but nothing came of it. Everton now settled down to work, and the visitors' goalkeeper was called on to save shots from Fleming and Roach. After two corner kicks had been cleared by Burmslem, Farmer thought he had an opening, but found Poulsom's head in the way. Dobson had to clear a dangerous rush by the visitors' right, when Fleming took the ball down and passed to Eyton-Jones, who beat Morgan, but the goal was disallowed for off-side. After Cookson had sent a shot over Smalley's head, Farmer had hard lines in not scoring, and half-time arrived with the score –Everton, 1 goal; Burslem, nil.

On resuming, the home team became energetic, and Roach finished a nice bit of play by kicking over the bar. After a tricky run by Elston and Cookson, Dick put in good work. Costly dropped the ball into Morgan's hands, who cleared before Farmer had got up. The visitors moved down, but after May had sent one past the uprights Fleming did a neat run, and Farmer scored a second goal for Everton. Encouraged by this success, the home club played with greater dash, and Costley called upon the Burslem goal custodian to clear an overhead shot by conceding a corner, but nothing resulted. The visitors now began to look up, and Dick averted disaster, Smalley having run out and missed the ball. A corner then fell to the visitors, after which the home forwards took the ball the length of the field, when Roach got winded, and play was suspended for a few minutes. Each goal having been visited in turn, Elston beat Smalley amid a round of applause. Both sides were playing up well, and from a free kick, Burslem scored, but the point was disallowed. The game now became fast and furious, the visitors trying hard to equalise, but Farmer set the minds of the Everton supporters at rest by scoring goal 3, and a fast game resulted as follows;- Everton, 3 goals; Burslem Port Vale, 1. Teams;- Everton;- Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; Nidd, R. Jones, and Higgins, half-backs; Roach, Farmer, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards. Burslem –Morgan, goal; Ramsey and Powell, backs; Poulson, Shields, and Elston, half-backs; Elston, Cookson, Reynolds, Ditchfield, and May, forwards.

February 6, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton showed an unmistakable improvement upon the previous weeks, and beat Burslem Port Vale in a most satisfactory manner by 3 to 1. The visitors have a good reputation having done several doughty deeds of late. They were represented, with the exception, in their full strength and this fact will cause the latest phase of Everton's in-and-out career to be greatly appreciated by their still big following. Gibson was again in absentee, but R. Jones, though not yet fully recovered from his Stanley mishap, was in his place as centre half-back, and again played a good game, considering the difficulties he had to battle against. It is significant that the two victories achieved by Everton since the resumption have been secured when the late Wrexham Olympian was included in the team. Everton had the game in hand throughout, and the score about accurately demonstrates the run of affairs. At the interval the Anfieldities had the only goal (Roach); and on resuming Farmer soon got a second. Towards the close Burslem scored, and at one time it looked as though they would make at least a draw, but Farmer dashed their hopes by putting on goal No.3, when there was no time left for Port Vale to do any further mischief. For Everton, Dick was in one of the most spirited humours, and deserves a special word for the share he took in the fight; Farmer, Roach, Fleming, and R. Jones also played well. Morgan, May, and Ramsay were the best of the visitors. There was a good attendance -300 or 4000 –and it is certain that, when Gibson is enabled to resume, Everton will be as strong and as popular as they were before being “over-taken by the deluge, “By-the by, Gibson received his injury whilst practising football, and not whilst following his employment.

Everton v Burslem Port Vale
February 6 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
The first meeting this season of the above clubs took place at the Anfield enclosure, on Saturday, before about 3,000 spectators. Port Vale were strongly represented and R. Jones assisted Everton for the first time after his recent accident. Everton lost the toss, and Eyton-Jones started the game. The visitors forwards soon inaugurated an attack, and although a “foul” occurred off Dobson, danger was averted. Roach and Farmer then put in some good play on behalf of Everton, Ramsey clearing well. Elston then shot hard at Smalley, Dick proving a stumbling block in the way. On Everton going to the other end, Fleming centred and Roach shot past Morgan. From the centre-kick the visiting forwards soon became busy, but a free kick cleared the home quarters and then Fleming headed over the bar. Good play was subsequently shown for the visitors by May and Ditchfield, and Smalley was called upon to save. Everton now rushed to their opponents end, and Roach missed a good opportunity of scoring. Costley having shot outside the Vale posts, fairly even play was shown by both sides. Later on Eyton-Jones put the ball past Morgan, but the point was disallowed. Shortly following the half-time was called, with Everton leading by one goal to nil. On resuming the home team soon became aggressive, Roach finally landing ball over the Vale crossbar. Port Vale, next attacked strongly, enabling May to shoot past the home posts. Then from a neat run by Fleming, Everton scored a second goal, Farmer administering the final touch. This encouraged the Evertonians, and a hot fusillade was again made on the Vale goal. Costley shot, but May cleared, and then the visitors made an attack on the home fortress. Dick, however, cleared the danger, and on the visitors returning a corner kick fell to them, which, however, proved futile. The home forwards now assumed a more menacing attitude, but the Vale backs successfully resisted the onslaught. Each goal in turn was visited until from a run by the visiting forwards, Elston beat Smalley. Burslem then had a point disallowed, while Farmer scored a third goal for his side. This was the last point scored and Everton won a fast and well-contested game by 3 goals to 1. The following are the teams; - Everton; - Smalley, goals; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; Nidd R. Jones, and Higgins, half-backs; Roach Farmer, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards. Port Vale; - Morgan, goal; Ramsey and Powell, backs; Poulson, Shields, and Elston, half-backs; Elston, Cookson, Reynolds, Ditchfield and May, forwards.

Association Game
February 11 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
That the fixture with Port vale was favorably regarded by the habitues of the Everton enclosure was shown on Saturday by a large attendance for while there were from three or four thousand persons present, the stands were usually well filled and thus there was a welcome return to something like the property of the pre-suspension period. The match was a good one, and as the popular colours prevailed, it goes without saying that the victory of three goals to one by the Evertonians was uncommonly well received. The home players always held the upper hand, and were enabled to cross over with a goal to the good, Roach, the new accession from the Wrexham district, being the piloted of the point. Twice Farmer, who was in exceptionally good form, scored during the second half of the game, and at length Smalley who showed symptoms of lameness, was beaten by Elston. Port vale had several good chances, but they were undeniably weak in front of goal. The backs defended well, and of the forwards Elston and May put in a lot of good work. Dick was the best of the home backs, while R. Jones (who fortunately had a more speedy recovery from his late accident than was expected) distinguished himself as half. Of the winning forwards, Costley made a creditable centre, and in addition to Farmer, Roach and Fleming deserve honorable mention.

Today's team against Padiham at Anfield, -Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson, backs; Higgins, R. Jones, and Nidd, half-backs; Eyton-Jones, Farmer, Roach, Briscoe, and Fleming, forwards.

February 13, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
This match was played at Anfield-road on Saturday, before 3000 spectators. The visitors team was a strong one, while the home club had the services of Briscoe, who played for the first time since his suspension. Owing to a downfall of sleet before the game commenced, the ground was in a heavy condition, which rendered good play a difficulty task. Everton won the toss, and Crears started the game, the visitors rushing to the home goal, but Dick cleared with a long kick, which enabled Briscoe to put a warm one into Park's hands. After the ball had been worked down by the visitors' left, Farmer got possession, but Hudson, pulled him up before he had time to steady himself. Coming down again Nidd tried a lob, the ball just going a bit wide. From the goal kick, Eyton Jones took the leather and gave to Farmer, who was very erratic in his shooting. After a couple of corners had been cleared by Paidham, Nidd had to put in some nice heading work, to clear a dangerous rush of the visitors' right. From a free kick for hands, Dick called upon the custodian, who saved splendidly. After Briscoe had been pulled up for offside. Nidd passed to Eyton-Jones, who had hard lines in not scoring; and then Crears paid a flying visit to home quarters, Dick clearing near the goalmouth. R. Jones here gave Farmer a nice chance, but the latter dallied too long, enabling Hudson to transfer the play to the other end. The home right back, However, eased, and Briscoe nearly rushed the ball through, after which Farmer caused Park to concede a corner. Nothing came of it however, but after a deal of pressure in the visitors quarters, Roach headed the first goal for Everton half an hour from the start. From the kick off the visitors began to be busy, and had a foul close in, which Higgins cleared, and then Farmer made another miserable attempts to score. Upon Briscoe heading a bit wide, Birtwistle and Wade paid a flying visit to the home end, and W. Thompson finished up by shooting right over the bar. From a corner kick Farmer dashed along, but Hacking stopped his progress; and soon afterwards Fleming called upon Parks to clear a well-judged shot. Play continued for a long time in the visitors' quarters, where Fleming and Briscoe tested the Padiham defence, Farmer spoiling a chance by kicking outside. When Dick had cleared a nice shot from Crears, Eyton-Jones did a grand run, finishing up with a shot, the ball striking the upright and rebounding into play. Smalley had to negotiate one from Crears, and danger was averted by W. Thompson kicking, outside the post. A free kick fell to Everton, and Dick sent the ball between the upright, no one touching it on its journey, but after a deal of scrimmaging, in front of the Padiham goal, Roach was enabled to score a second point for Everton, and a few minutes after the whistle for half-time. Resuming the Everton left got the ball from Briscoe, but Farmer was eased of it by Hudson. After two corners had been cleared by the visitors. Smalley was called upon by J. Thompson, and then Eyton Jones had hard luck in not scoring, Briscoe being unfortunately, in the way. Padiham woke up, and play remained, for a short time at the home goal, R. Jones working very hard to save a rush by the visitors' right wing, and Smalley pluckily keeping out a few warm ones. Pressure having been eased, the home right came away, and Fleming crossed to Farmer, who failed to take advantage of the opening. Crear and Riley worked the ball over, but Dick sent the leather to the other end, and Eyton-Jones had the misfortune to get off side as he put one past Park. Everton now took the upper hand of Padiham, and confined play to the visitors' end, but could not get the ball through. Padiham put on a final spurt to score, but found the home defence very strong, and a moderate game ended in favour of Everton by 2 goals to nil. Teams; Everton, goal, Smalley; backs, Dick and Dobson (captain); half-backs, Higgins, R. Jones and Nidd; forwards, Fleming, Eyton-Jones, Briscoe, and Farmer. Padiham; -Goal, Park; backs, Davy and Hacking; half-backs, Hudson, J. Thompson, and G. Watts; forwards, W. Thompson, Riley, Crears, Birtwistle, and R. Watts.

February 13, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton tackled an old opponent in Padiham, at Anfield, and beat them by 2 goals to 0. This suburban Burnley club has experienced somewhat rough usage this season, and with the exception of obtaining lucky drawn games with Witton and Blackburn Olympic, have little to boast of. Padiham brought as strong a team as they could muster, but for all that, Everton, now that Briscoe is able to once more assist, was exception to bring about a more decisive result than a two-goal victory. The score, however, which was accomplished during the first half, doers not in any way reflect the run of the game, as many chances were missed. Farmer was an especially sinner in wild shooting, and was unusually unsteady. Roach shot the two goals, but spoilt good tactics, through an over-weening regard for Farmer. At times these players evinced a strong tendency to selfishness, and it may be of advantage to rearrange the forwards in such a manner as all will get fair treatment and a chance of making effective use of respective skill. Dick, Nidd (who is proving a most useful and improving half-back), R. Jones, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming were the men of “light and leading” for Everton; whilst Park in goal, Hudson at half-back, and Crears forward, were the most accomplished of the Pads.

City Status in Association
The status Liverpool has rapidly attained in the Association world has received practical recognition at the hands of the National Council, who have directed the semi-final between Preston North End and Crewe Alexandra to be played at the “good old town” Everton has been selected, it is said, as the most suitable enclosure. With a view to improve the accommodation for Saturday next, the Everton Club have erected a stand at the top end and capable of holding two or three hundred. The match no doubt will be heavily patronised, for Liverpool will be eager to second Mr. Lythgoe's suggestion that Liverpool was the proper place for a semi-final. Stoke will be the scene of the flight between West Bromwich Albion and Derby Junction.

Everton v Padiham
February 13 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
These teams met for the first time this season at the Anfield road ground, and although the weather threatened rain, there would be between 3,000 0r 4,000 persons present to witness the game. Everton won the toss, and Crears started the ball on behalf of Padiham. The visitors' left were dangerous until dick relieved, when the homesters attacked the Padiham goal, Roach playing the ball over the line. From the kick out, Waite and Birtwistle put in good play on Padiham's left, but former shot badly, and Dick was enabled to clear. Farmer now had a chance of lowering the visitors' colours, which was lost through kicking too far ahead. Again the Everton forwards were prominent. Farmer finally shooting high over the Padiham bear. A couple of corners next fell to Everton, both proving futile. Hacking having cleared a rush, Hudson tricked Farmer, and Roach, but Dick was in attendance, and the ball was again found at the Padiham end, Briscoe nearly rushed the ball through, but Park cleared finely. After Park had cleared a shot by Farmer, Roach headed through in good style. From the kick off shortly afterwards the homesters attacked, Farmer shooting without effect, whilst Roach also shot over a moment later. Padiham then ran down to the Everton quarters, and Dobson having relieved, Thompson sent in a high shot at Smalley, Dick conceding a corner in trying to clear. From the kick exciting play ensued in front of the Everton uprights. At length Dick headed away finely, and at the other end Farmer shot over the line. Padiham next attacked, Dobson and Nidd cleared attacks by the visitors' forwards. Eyton-Jones took a nice running shot, the ball hitting the upright and rebounding into play. At the other end Padiham gained an unproductive corner. A foul for hands was given, Everton, and Dick kicked through goal, but as the ball was untouched in its flight, the point was disallowed. Fleming then centre nicely, and Roach shot a second for the home team, Padiham appealing against the point to vain. Shortly following this half-time was called, with Everton leading by two goals to nil. Roach restarted on behalf of Everton, who rushed on the Padiham goal, Davy saving. Crears then came away up the centre, Dick saving and transferring play to the visitor's goal. A tremendous scrimmage here ensued, during which Eyton-Jones twice shot over the bar. Padiham now attacked, and on Nidd kicking away, Briscoe at the other end sent a swift shot outside the Padiham posts. Farmer and Roach next came away down the Everton left, and on the latter transferring to Fleming, the ball was centred right in the mouth of goal, Briscoe shooting over. The kick-out brought no relief to the visitors, as Everton again brought pressure to bear on their lines. After Farmer had missed a good chance, Roach shot outside. Briscoe next headed into Park's hands, the Padiham custodian clearing the danger in splendid style. W. Thompson and Riley then initiated an attack on the attack on the Everton stronghold, but Dick robbed them and transferred play to the centre. Hands, were given Everton in the Padiham quarters, Dick kicking outside. Jones next put in a piece of magnificent play for the homesters, and stopped Thompson in the nick of time. A free kick to Padiham was taken by Davy, nothing resulting. Higgins was here badly hurt, and had to leave the field for a short time. Padiham tried hard to score, but the defence was good, and they were prevented. Higgins resumed play, and Everton ran down to the Padiham goal. Hacking kicked away, however, and Dick relieved at the other end. Good passing by Higgins, Briscoe and Fleming resulted in a invasion of the visitors' quarters, but the latter ran the ball over the line. Eyton-Jones next shot into the Padiham goal, Park clearing finely. Hacking landed the ball to the centre, and Crears put in a good run, until Dick stopped his career. Roach and Farmer put in a neat run, but the latter shot outside the Padiham posts, Briscoe doing ditto a few minutes later. No further scoring was done, and Everton were left victors of a good game by two goals to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; R. Jones, Nidd, and M. Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Roach, Eyton-Jones, Briscoe, and Fleming forwards. Padiham; - Park, goal; Hacking and Davy, backs; Hudson, J. Thompson and G. Waite, half-backs; W. Thompson (captain), Riley, Crears, Birtwistle, and R. Waites, forwards.

Everton Reserves v Tranmere Rovers.
Played on Saturday at Tranmere, and resulted in a draw of one goal each. Routledge and Morgan were the pick of the Tranmere team; whilst Jones and Costley played in splendid form, Jolliffe however, was the hero of the match, his splendid goalkeeping greatly delighting the spectators.

Association Game
February 18 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
That there is no diminution of interest in the doings of the Everton team was abundantly proved by the presence of an unusually large crowd at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday last, the visiting team of the day being Padiham, who, a couple of seasons ago, bid high for premier honours. Although the Evertonians won by only two goals to nil they undoubtedly had the best of the game throughout, in proof of which it may be stated that Smalley, their custodian, had comparatively little to do. Dick was again to the fore at back, while Nidd at half showed material improvement upon his previous play, by which, however, it must not be taken that the new recruit was wanting in skill. Roach as centre-forward played a capital game Farmer being tricky but not always discreet. Park, in goal, undoudedly saved the “pads” from a heavier defeat. Davy and Hacking were efficient at back, the most prominent of the halves being Hudson and Thomspon, whilst forward Crears in the centre. Thompson on the right and Waite on the left rendered the most conspicuous services for their side.

Jack Thwaites
Feb 18 th 1888. The Football fields.
Dead 13 th February,, aged 33. We buried dear Jack, at Anfield today, with many a sigh, and many a tear. From the football ground he's not so far away and still may hear the old Everton cheer.

Sad lost for Everton
There was one well known genial face absent on Saturday, and as this was an extraordinary circumstances, it was not surprising to find that insterspersed with the usual goossip after the match was over there was a running fire of enquiries of “Where's Jack Thwaites?” “Have you seen our Jack?” etc; Gradually these increased in number and anxiety as the evening wore on, but there was no answer until Sunday morning,, when the news spread like wildfire that he had met with an accidental injury that would without doubt be fatal. “While there's life there is hope so said his friends, and then kept up a constant seige of questions at every place where news could be had of his condition and chances of recovery. Every phase was reported and every change discussed so that some became even hopeful, and this intensified the shock when the fatal whisper went round, “He is dead.”

On Thursday he was buried, and he's nearest and dearest were supported by a large crowd of about 500 sympathing friends, amonst whom were the officials and players of the Everton club. The committee sent a wreath of violets and Camellial (blue and White), the club colours. The “boys” were all present, and Tom Marriott, and other old players were the bearers. As the cortegz passed the football ground, the club flag, which hung at half-mast, dipped in honour of one of its best and staunchest supporters. No team of Everton Football club takes the field on Saturday, out of respect for the memory of one who in one small minute of consciousness during a painful operation could overcome his pain to smile at his assembled friends and ejaculate, “Good old Everton” then he dropped back into unconsciousness.

February 25 th 1888 The Football fields
The late Mr. John Thwaites.
The following tribute to the memory of a justly popular Evertonian was handed to us too late for insertion in last week's issue. Mr. Thwaites was so universally beloved for his mainly virtues that we make no excuse for affording a melancholy please to his friends by publishing the poem this week.

A Gloom is cast o'er Everton,
And all is hushed and still,
For death has taken away a friend,
whose place we cannot fill,
Mourned for by all who knew him,
Regretted far and near,
And many a wild and thoughtless man
In silence sheds a tear;
For poor Jack Thwaites has left behind,
This world of care and pain,
And gone to that far distant land
Ne'er to return again.
Oh, may his spirit rest in peace,
And happy be his lot,
And may his name live in our hearts,
And never be forget.
His virtues they were countless,
His vices almost nil,
His friends, were all who knew him,
For no one wished him ill,
Last eve beheld him full of life,
In spirits blithe and gay,
We little thought in two short days,
That life would pass away
But so, it was, and poor Jack's gone,
And left us sorrowing here
No more we'll see that winning smile;
Nor cheery words we'll hear,
For now beneath the cold, cold, ground-
The same that gave him birth-
Is laid as good true hearted man
As ever trod this earth.

Everton v Church
February 27 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
About 1,500 visited Anfield to witness the return meeting between these clubs. The ground was in good condition despite the snow. Costley started the ball, and Fleming was soon making his presence felt on the right, but Higgins found Thorpe a barrier to his shot. Dobson kicked up well when Holding ran off, and forced a corner to no effect. R. Jones next passed to Farmer, who shot outside the post. During pressure Dick stumbled and almost at Holding in, but by dint of hard work the visitors got within striking distance. Paynter shooting over, Costley and Farmer tried a rush, but Thorp fisted out cleanly. Higgins, however, renewed the attack, and Farmer shot the first goal from pass by the former. Church infused energetic play, Bourne running offside and spoiling a chance. The free kick gave Everton a sound footing, but they experienced hard lines on some good attempts, a corner by Higgins being also well cleared. Church then had a look at Everton goal, Dobson going over his own goal in trying to clear with a screw kick, Higgins and Fleming created some excitement by a bit of clever play, out of which the latter scored the second goal. Everton then maintained a severe attack, Nidd putting in a good shot whilst Roach spoilt his chance by slipping just before the interval. Soon after resuming Costley sent the ball beyond Thorp, but offside was established. A moment later, however, he had a legitimate point, and gave Everton a lead of three goals to nil. Corners were taken by Higgins and Farmer without any gain, which once cleared, enabled Holding to get up to Dick; hands to the visitors also being repelled at close quarters Fleming and Higgins moved up the right. Leyon-Jones taking the pass and bringing “down the house,” on notching No.4. Church were not played out yet, however, as they made a grand effort, and one deserving of better success than it received. Hacking and Holding took up several fine runs, Smalley conceding a corner, whilst Dobson was very smart in staving off danger from a free kick near in. In the last moment Smalley and Dobson showed some of the best defence, utterly baffling shots from right and left, and a good game terminated in a decisive victory for the home team by four to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain), and Dick, backs; Nidd, Jones, and Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Roach, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards. Church; - Thorp, goal; Nuttall, and Wood, backs; Tattersall, T. Smith and Kenyon, half-backs; Hacking, Paynter, Parker, Bourne, and Holding, forwards.

Everton 2d team v Bury
This match was played at Bury, the ground being covered with snow, which fell very heavily throughout the game. Bury started the ball against the wind, and at once made a raid on the Everton goal, but Jolliffe saved in grand style. Everton than made for the home stronghold and scored, but the goal was disallowed for offside play. Soon afterwards Ross made a splendid run and shot into Jolliffe's hands. Several shots were sent in, but the Everton custodian cleared in a marvellous manner. Bury still pressed, and after a short scrimmage. Pollock scored a goal, Lomax scored a second goal early in the second half, and Pollock a third. Later Jolliffe saved three shots from underneath the bar, and Gibson, Jones, and Fayer were conspicuous for their grand defence. Everton then made a run up the field, Briscoe very neatly scoring. A bit of splendid passing between Briscoe, Charteris, and Douglas was applauded. Bury continued to press, but could not break the defence, Jolliffe saving brilliantly, and Jones, Gibson, and Parry kicking in grand style. Nothing further was added, and Bury won by four goals to nothing.

February 27, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
This return match was played at Anfield-road Ground, on Saturday, in the presence of 1500 spectators. Snow fell during the whole of the game, and the ground was rather treacherous. The visitors won the toss, and Costley kicked for Everton, Fleming soon getting the leather, but Higgins failed to beat Thorn. After Dobson had sent the ball to the other end, Holding got possession, and Nidd had to concede a corner, from which nothing resulted. From the kick-out, R. Jones gave the ball to Farmer who shot wide; and Dick, through slipping, all but let Holding in. Working hard, the visitors' left got the ball down, and Paynter shot over the bar. Coming again with a rush, Costley and Farmer caused the Church goalkeeper to fist out, but a nice pass by Higgins enabled Farmer to put one through ten minutes from the start. The visitors now worked hard, but Bourne got off-side as he was about to call on Smalley. From the free kick Everton had hard luck in not scoring, the visitors' goalkeeper giving a corner. Higgins took the kick, which, however, was cleared, and the Church right wing ran up, Dobson in attempting to clear screwing right into Smalley's hands. Higgins was now playing a good game with Fleming, and the latter beat Thorp with a swift shot. Encouraged with two goals to the good, Everton pressed, and Nidd put in a nice shot, after which Roach missed a good chance through falling, half-time arriving with Everton, 2 goals, Church o. On changing ends the home team worked up, and Costley sent one through, but was ruled off-side, but made no mistake a minute afterwards by scoring the third goal for Everton. When Farmer and Higgins had corners, Holding was seen to advantage, Dick having to work hard to avert tricky runs. After hands had been given to the visitors near the goal, Fleming and Higgins took the ball up enabling Eyton-Jones to score the fourth goal for Everton amidst a round of applause, this being the first goal he has scored since joining Everton. For a final effort, Church worked hard, and Smalley conceded a corner to Kenyon. After a long pass by Hacking, and a nice display by Holding, Church had a foul in the goalmouth, but Dobson cleared, and a very pleasant game resulted in a win for Everton by 4 goals to nil. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, R. Jones, and Nidd, half-backs; Fleming, Eyton-Jones, Costley, Roach and Farmer, forwards. Church; Thorp, goal; J. Nuttall and J. Wood, backs; J. Tattersall, Tom Smith, and Kenyon, half-backs; Hacking, Parker, Paynter, Bourne, and Holding, forwards.

February 27, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Played at Bury, on Saturday. The ground was covered with snow, which also fell heavily during the match. Bury started against the wind, and at once commenced to press. Joliffe cleared, and Everton rushing to the other end the ball went just outside the posts. Bury again attacked, but Joliffe saved his goal time after time. Everton eventually relieved, and shortly after scored the first corner, from which nothing resulted. Bury once again returned to the attack, and were at last rewarded for their perseverance, Pollock shooting the leather through Lomax adding a second, and Pollock a third. Lomax again scored, and the home team adding another goal won a very one-sided game by 5 goals to nil.

Notes on Football
Everton Reserves were deputed to settle the return account with Bury, and remembering the ridiculous ease with which Everton beat the moderate lot that visited Anfield early in the season, they were expected to be able to uphold the dignity of Everton. However, they were found altogether, and had to accept a defeat of 5 to 0. Everton are not at present quite equal to two such matches as they undertook on Saturday, but if the overtures that are being made for the reinstatement of Watson and Goudie –and which are likely to come to a head in a day or two –are successful, the Anfieldies will be in a position to put two satisfactory teams in the field.