March 1888

Association Game. March 3 rd 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
Church had to submit to defeat at the instance of a Liverpool team, Everton doing the trick to the tone of four goals to nil –exactly the same result that was arrived at Bootle. Costley again found a place in the Everton team, and performed most creditably indeed. The score, however, does not exactly represent the state of the game, as Church were rather unfortunate in not scoring. The forwards put in some energetic play, but Dobson was in grand form, and, aided by the capital custodianship of Smalley, the raids of the Churchmen were always repelled. Farmer and Fleming broke through the visitors defence during the first half, and Costley and Eyton-Jones in the second, this being the first goal the latter has scored since he joined the Everton ranks.

Today's match Everton v Burnley at Anfield –Everton Smalley, goal, Dick and Dobson, backs; Higgins, R. Jones, and Gibson, half-backs; Costley, Farmer, Goodall, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming forwards. Although Everton have invariably been beaten by Burnley, whether at home or abroad, the former have latterly been playing so consistently that their supporters may rely on a fast and exciting game, whatever the result on the present occasion may be.

March 5, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
About 5000 spectators at Everton to witness the match between these clubs. The home club started the ball, and Gallagher at once became active, but Farmer beat him, and shot over. Gallagher sent up to Keenan, who kicked over. Farmer got well away from the goal kick, and passed to Fleming, a great fusillade ensuing in front of Burnley goal without effect, McConnell saving well from R. Jones, whilst Farmer shot outside the post. Burnley now had a look in, McFetteridge missing a good shy, followed by another shot by Elston, which went over. Smalley saved from McFetteridge, and on Burnley renewing the attack Gibson put himself in possession. Fleming received the pass, and R. Jones, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming put in good work; but Farer, failing to get up in time, was unable to turn the advantage to account. Fleming again fastened on the ball, and, putting in a beautiful centre, Eyton-Jones pushed up and scored a fine goal. On re-starting Burnley woke up, McFetteridge dodging round Dick and making the record equal. Gallagher followed up by sending over the bar, and then Everton pressed, Berry and Hargreaves putting Fleming offside as he shot through. Jackson stemmed a rush, but Everton were not checked much, as Farmer shot over, and Fleming scored a doubtful goal from a pass by Farmer, a point that was cavilled at by Burnley without success. Both goalkeepers were in turn busy afterwards, McFetteridge and Gallagher taking shot for Burnley and Briscoe, Farmer, Higgins, R. Jones, and Costley each trying their skill for Everton. Burnley next paid a visit to the home goal, but found Smalley quite safe; and after Eyton Jones had sent a weak one into McConnell, Dick, slipping, at a critical moment, let Burnley in, McCrae, however, went over, and Waught also shot two or three times in vein. It was again Everton's turn now to take up the attack, Briscoe shooting into McConnell's hands, Costley just missing the bar. Fleming then sent in a beauty, a serious of corners also falling to the lot of Everton. A nice run by Waugh and a shoot over by McFettridge was well set off by Briscoe, who forced a corner, which produced hands, McConnell clearing. Costly secured another corner, followed by a hot attack, during which Fleming gave the ball to Farmer, who shot through. The referee ruled him off-side, and a grand game terminated in a coveted win by Everton of 20 to 1. Teams; Burnley; McConnell, goal; Berry and Hargreaves, backs; Abrams, Jackson, and Keenan, half-backs; Gallagher, McCrea, McFetteridge, Elston and Waugh, forwards. Everton; Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; Jones, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Costley, Briscoe, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards.

March 5, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton had a great day in their engagement with Burnley. They are now beyond doubt reinstalled on their former pedestal of popularity, the attendance on Saturday being the largest since the “lock-out.” The game throughout was spirited, a snatch of roughness, however, here and there marring an otherwise fine contest. Everton were the more fortunate in scoring, and won by 2 to 1, but as a fact the attack was about evenly divided. Fleming may fairly claim to be the best forward in the match, his cleverness in taking and passing the ball repeatedly, nonplussing his opponents. Costly and Eyton-Jones were also in good form. All the half-backs did well, though both Gibson and R.Jones are still feeling the effects of their injuries. Smalley, Dick, and Dobson, were uniformly safe, the former achieving some marvellous feats in goal. Waugh was best forward for Burnley, and Gallogther and McFetteridge ran him close for honours. Jackson, Berry, Hargreaves, and McConnel were the most effective defence.

Everton v Burnley
March 5 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
The first visit of the Burnley team this season to the popular Anfield enclosure took place on Saturday, before 3,000 spectators. A large amount of interest centred in the match as, owing to Burnley having beaten the Evertonians twice last season, the latter meant to put forth their best endeavour to win, a result which, by dint of hard play, was accomplished. Everton, kicked off, whereupon Gallacher secured possession, and ran down to the home goal in company with McCrea, but Dobson being in attendance, effectively cleared the danger. Burley, however, returned, and for a time the homesters' goal was hotly menaced. A kick out by Eyton-Jones and a run up by the forwards relieved, and then exciting play ensued in front of the Burnley goal. Fleming eventually shooting over the line. Dick next starved off an attack by the Burnley forwards, and after Farmer had shot behind, Burnley ran down the field, a futile corner resulting. A free kick to Everton was cleared by Hargreaves, and Smalley had to fist away shots from Friel and Waugh. The Everton forwards again became aggressive, and from a splendid centre by Fleming Eyton-Jones notched the first goal for the Everton team. Encouraged by this success, Everton again dashed away, and exciting play ensued in front of McConnell. Shot after shot was rained in, but headed out in grand style. At last Keenan rushed off down the field, when from a pass to McFettridge the leather made the score equal. McConnell was again paid a visit, but proved equal to the occasion. Now exciting play prevailed in the centre, and then Fleming shot past the Burnley posts. Smalley was next troubled, but kicked away, and the home forwards again beleaguered the Burnley goal, Farmer centred, and after McConnell had saved, the ball was rushed through. Burnley appeared for offside, and the goal was disallowed. Everton, again attacked during which Farmer lifted the ball over the bar. Immediately following this failure, Fleming shot past Mcconnell amidst tremendous cheering. A further claim for off side being negatived, and shortly afterwards half-time was announced with the Evertonians leading by two goals to one. Burnley restarted, and on the right wing getting within range of the Everton stronghold McFettridge shot, only to have his effort repelled by Smalley in admirable style. Briscoe and Farmer, next invaded the Burnley quarters, but the former shot outside. Still pressing, Everton gained a corner, the kick by Higgins proving abortive. The Burnley vanguard now attempted to break through the home defence, but they were driven back, and McConnell had to save several times, amidst a scene of excitement. A foul to Everton was cleared by Berry, and Burnley next attacked in hot style. Dobson, however, cleared the danger, and Eyton-Jones, at the other end, shot well, but without effect. The Burnley forwards then contributed a fine passing run, and Waugh having shot outside, Everton again attacked, Eyton-Jones just missing goal by the nearest shade. Gallacher put in a tricky run, but was robbed by Jones before he had time to shoot. A run down by Fleming resulted in a further corner, to Everton, and from the kick a foul resulted to the homesters, the ball passing outside. Later on Waugh missed, and Higgins having removed the danger, the Everton forwards made progress until Berry stopped that career. A return however, was effected, and Everton took a couple of corners, Hargreaves kicked away finely, and Waugh put in a splendid run the length of the field, a good chance being spoiled by McGrea shooting outside. Farmer responded with an equally good run on behalf of Everton, and a corner resulted. From hands, right in the mouth of goal the ball was got away, but Farmer renewed the attack, and Costley just missed the mark –“hard lines.” Indeed Burnley were next ranged up in front of the Everton goal. Waugh shot, and Smalley saved, but unfortunately fell, when Gallacher, with the goal at his mercy shot high over the bar. Dick saved finely, and on Fleming passing to Farmer at the centre, the player dashed of at full speed, and shot past McConnell; but again Burnley protested against the point, and amidst hooting and other signs of disapproval the point was disallowed. Time was immediately called, with Everton victious in a hard fought game by two goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; Jones, Higgins, and Gibson, half-backs; Briscoe, Farmer, Costley, Fleming, and Eyton-Jones forwards. Burnley; - McConnelly, backs; Berry and Hargreaves, backs; Abram, Jackson, and Keenan, half-backs; McFettridge, Gallacher, Waugh, McCrea, and Elston forwards.

March 12, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Notts paid their first visit to the Anfield-road enclosure on Saturday to play their return match, the home team, having journeyed to Notts early in the season, and quite 8000 people assembled. The ground was in good condition and the weather beautiful. Everton were the first to appear, followed shortly by Notts, who were short of three of their first team, but Oliver was a good substitute for Morley at right back. The home club won the toss, Jackson kicking off, and Gunn set to work, but R. Jones intercepted and crossed to Fleming who gave to Farmer, but the latter sent high over the bar. Fleming now had a trial, hitting the bar, but the ball going into play again, enabled him to head the first goal for Everton five minutes from the start. Resuming it looked as if the visitors would equalise when Brown passed to Gunn, who got pretty well down and hands given against Gibson in front of Smalley; but danger was averted from the free kick by the ball being sent up the field. Gunn again got possession, and passing Dobson and Dick, missed by shooting wide. From a throw in, Brown tried a lob into goal, which was cleared. Jackson then ran down, only to be eased by Higgins. Everton began to press, and Higgins sent in a beauty, Holland saving at the cost of a corner. After the danger had been cleared by Oliver sending the ball down the field, Farmer put in one of his nice runs, but lost his chance by being floored as he was in the act of shooting, to be followed soon afterwards by hands just as Holland's charge was threatened. A loud laugh went up as Higgins was beating Gunn time after time. Fleming was here playing a good game, working the ball down the field time after time, and Eyton-Jones missed an easy chance by keeping the ball too long. The Everton left pair then passed prettily up, and Clement kicked to the side. From the throw in Holland had to save dangerous shots, but the ball was worked to the other end by Daft, and Browning, Dick clearing by a long shot, which Oliver got away. The homesters were very persistent in their attacks, and excitement ran high as Farmer sent in one which would have counted but for one of the backs deliberately knocking the shot out with his hand. Nothing came from the free kick, however, and the home forwards continued to work hard –particularly Fleming and Farmer –Briscoe, unfortunately, getting offs-side, as he headed one over the line. Holland's goal was now besieged, the visitors' defence being perfect, but eventually Farmer beat Holland by scoring a second goal. Encouraged by this success the home team again became aggressive and Briscoe gave the leather to Farmer, who tried a long shot, which grazed the bar –a very near thing. A dangerous run by Nott's left called upon Dobson to transfer the play to the other end, and when the visitors' goalkeeper had to negotiate four shots in rapid successive, two of them being from Fleming, whose play at this time was much admired, half-time arriving with the game –Everton, 2 goals; Notts, nil. Holland, on going to the other end, was heartily cheered for his good goalkeeping. The opening of the second half saw the Everton pressing, Farmer passing the ball to Eyton-Jones, but Daft got in, and did a nice run up, and crossed to Gunn, who lost a chance, but recovered again, and R. Jones cleverly robbed Stevens. From a throw-in, to Everton, Eyton-Jones sent in a beauty, which was cleared, and Gunn was seen at his best, finishing up with a very wide shot at goal. After daft had done a sprint, Dick sent the sphere to the other end, but the ball was sent over the bar. Holland having rid himself of a lot of shots. Stevens got in, and gave to Gunn, but Higgins easily robbed him. Everton were now pressing hard, the passing of the whole of their forwards and the nice defence of the back division completely nonplussing the visitors. R. Jones gave to Fleming, who headed against the bar. Then Daft visited the other end, and Gibson, in heading the ball, came in contact with Brown's head, causing him to leave the field for the remainder of the game. Gibson, conscious that he too had suffered a blow, caused a round of laughter by tasting the medicine administered to Brown. On the re-start, Eyton-Jones missed a chance by dallying. The home club were awarded a corner, which was succeeded by another, Higgins took the kick, and Costley scored goal No 3. Spurting to augment their score, Fleming and the other forwards kept Holland busy; but Gunn got in through Dobson falling, and beat Smalley by a flying shot two minutes from the finish, thus putting the home team two goals ahead of Notts. Result –Everton,3; Notts 1. Teams;- Everton; Smalley, goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; R. Jones, Gibson and Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Briscoe, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards. Notts; Holland, goal; Oliver and Moore, backs; Clements, Shepperd, and Emmentt, half-backs; Gunn, Stevens, Jackson, G.H. Brown, and Daft, forwards.

March 12, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton are now sailing gaily on the flood tide to victory, and as success follows success their popularity correspondingly increases. The ground on Saturday was well packed, an attendance of something like 7000 or 8000 being attracted to witness the return engagement with Notts County. Everton have made rapid ad sure improvement during the last few weeks, the team they now put in the field being quite as clever as any that have ever fought for the honours of the Anfieldites. When Everton went to Nottingham in October they made a draw of a goal each with Notts, and a tight battle was generally expected at the second meeting; but though the match was carried on with great energy, especially by Everton, it was not nearly so interesting as that with Burnley the previous week. Notts were without two or three of their usual players, which necessitated a re-arrangement of their formation, with the result that they displayed poor combination and considerable lethargy. Everton, on the other hand, had all their regulars played with confidence and dash, and won easily by 3 goals to 1. The score does not fairly represent the run of play, however, for the home forwards were almost continuously besieging Nott's goal, and but for the magnificent display of Holland between the posts the defeat would have been far more decisive, Farmer and Fleming performed most brilliantly, though the former lost a few chances in his impetuosity to shot. Costly, Briscoe, and Eyton-Jones also responded well to call of the outside men. Higgins, Gibson, and R. Jones were efficient in breaking up the Notts formation, Higgins completely baffling the Herculean Gunn. Dobson and Dick made no mistakes, though Daft was at times too tricky for the latter. Smalley had a sinecure, only being called upon about twice to use his prerogative. Jackson was the most effective of the Notts forwards, Gunn and Daft contenting themselves with occasional runs; Clement's heavy weight was useful in stemming raids by Farmer, and Oliver the ubiquitous was better than Moore at back; but Holland, in goal, displayed the greatest skill of all the visitors.

Everton v Notts County
March 12 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
The return match between these teams was brought off at Anfield on Saturday before an immense assemblage of spectators, and at the best part of the afternoon there could not have been less than 8,000 persons present, the game having awakened a widespread interest throughout the district. Everton placed in the field their best team, but although there were changes in that of the visitors, a good representatives was furnished by the county executive, and a keenly contested game was confidently looked forward to. Jackson started at 3-40, and Gunn fastening on the ball the Everton half was visited. The home forwards soon went up to the visitor's goal, but Notts at once realised on the left, Dick saving well, Fleming broke away and initiated a nice forward movement, which fairly puzzled Notts defence. In the assault Fleming shot against the bar, and headed a grand goal from the rebound. Everton again attacked without effect, hands, being narrowly cleared, Stevens and Gunn then dashed down, and play of a somewhat uncertain kind settled for a time in front of the home goal, about the most threatening shot being levelled by G. Brown. Everton, having withstood the attack, in turn inaugurated a tougher assault, Fleming and Higgins forcing Holland to punch over the bar. Everton replied to a Notts burst, and put them hard on the defence. Clements repeatedly kicking back from Farmer and Briscoe, whilst Moore, on Holland failing to completely save, sent out brilliantly from Costley, after R. Jones had screwed up towards goal. Notts were now having an uncomfortable time of it. Corners being conceded. On clearing from Briscoe and Eyton-Jones, a fine attack culminating in Farmer scoring the second goal from a rattling shot. A renewed attack by Everton, and a spurt by Brown and Daft, was at once followed by Moore kicking out hard, and Farmer shooting over. Costley at the same time putting in one or two likely shines. Dick and Dobson kept the van well fed, and Moore gave hands close in. On clearing a hot shot from Farmer, Notts managed to get the pull of the tussels in front of goal, and penetrated the home quarters but lacked viselity and combination, with the result that Everton were again early taking the measure of Notts goal, the closing incident of the first half being Holland's smart check of Farmer's lighting like shot. Changing ends, Holland was the recipient of a cheer, on taking up his position between the posts of the lower goal, in appreciation of his skill. Farmer and Briscoe were at once in command of the ball on the left. Clements kicking up well to midfield whilst Oliver also was effective in, stemming the Everton rushes. Fleming, however, advanced far enough to take a good centre, which was not availed of. Gunn, after Farmer and Briscoe had been rather pertinacious on the left, went away in rattling dribble, only to find himself worked over the line when at shooting range by Dobson. Some even play intervened, when Jackson ran well down the centre, Gunn following with a shot that just passed over the bar. Fleming and Eyton-Jones found their way down to the corner from the goalkick, where from goal the ball was put harmlessly behind. Everton then tried their skill on the left R. Jones taking up possession and passing to Fleming, who nearly brought about a goal he hitting the bar, and Holland cheering his lines with difficulty. Daft next had a look at Everton goal, but found Dick in the way, a slight pause in play resulting through Gibson and Brown coming into collision whilst the former was heading up. On resuming, Everton at once called upon Holland to save, Costley scoring from the corner well placed by Higgins. Everton were again busy in front of Notts citadel' Fleming almost beating Holland in a high shot. Oliver immediately following, giving a corner. Many shots followed without effect, and after daft had tried a run, Dobson missing and Dick over-reaching himself let Gunn in, who scampering over the ground rapidity defied Higgins and Dobson, and beat Smalley in a terrific long oblique shot. It was now a minute of time, and before players had got themselves in position the signal was given for a cessation of operations, Everton having gained a further victory by the unequivocal score of three to one. Teams; - Notts; - Holland, goal; Oliver and Moore, backs; Clements, Shepperd, and Emmett half-backs; Gunn, Stevens, Jackson, G.H. Brown, and Daft, forwards. Everton; - Smalley goal; Dobson (captain) and Dick, backs; R. Jones, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Farmer, Briscoe, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards.

St Helens Association v Everton Reserves
A strong reserve team from the Everton Club visited St. Helens on Saturday and played the return match with the rapidly rising St. Helens Club. There was a good attendance of spectators. Play at the commenentment was brisk, and each goal was in turn endangered. The home team afterwards assumed the aggressive, and Sexton scored for St. Helens. The play continued fairly even up to half-time, and ends changed with the score one goal each. In the second period of play the St. Helens forward pressed their opponents severely but Joliffe defended in rare style. A few minutes' before time was called Sexton again scored, with a capital shot. A hard-fought game resulted in a victory for St. Helens by two goals to one. The visitors were assisted by two substitutes who played a brilliant game.

Association Game.
March 17 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
There was great joy in the Everton camp on Saturday consequent upon the defeat of Notts County, with whom it will be remembered Everton played a drawn game prior to the close of 87, Notts, it is true, were a trifle short of their full strength, although with the substitutes little faulty could be found. The fact of their pressing must not therefore be held to have materially influenced the result, for at the present time the Evertonians are perhaps in finer form than ever they were in the palmiest days of their career, and this is all the more satisfactory seeing that previously rejected members are again back in the ranks. Early in the day quite a flutter of excitement prevailed in the village, and when the gates at Anfield was opened, a hugh crowd, numbering close upon 7,000 persons, were speedily ensconced within the snug enclosure. Everton opened the scoring and as the homesters continued to have the best of the play, Farmer put in a second greatly to the delight of the appreciative crowd. Even thus early Smalley held such a complete sinecure in goal that the perplexed visitors crossed over with a couple of goals against them. The second half, however, was more evenly contested, and as point for point was gained the Evertonians were victorious by three goals to one, the latter being the result of a spanking shot by Gunn, who after a somewhat lethargic display aroused himself for a final effort. For the winners Dick was the best of the backs, although Dobson played well. Higgins at half played in his very best style, and proved a veritable thorn in the side of Gunn. Jones also put in some sterling work, but Gibson is still too unwell for exacting play. On the Everton right, Fleming and Eyton-Jones ran and passed neatly, and Costley did well in the centre of the forward rank. Briscoe and Farmer were tricky, and indeed all the forwards showed up to expectation. Notts played a poor game, excepting perhaps Holland, Jackson, Emmett, Daft, and G.H. Brown. Holland kept goal with conspicuous skill, and Moore and Oliver (an old Oakfield Rover) did fairly well at back.

Today's match. Everton v Derby County, at Anfield. –Everton; - Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson, backs; Higgins, R. Jones and Gibson, half-backs; Briscoe, Farmer, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards.

March 19, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
These two teams met for the first time for two seasons on Saturday, at Anfield-road ground, and there was a gathering of 5000 spectators, who were kept waiting nearly an hour owing to the late arrival of the Derby men. Dobson won the toss, and elected to play with the sun in front and the wind behind. Lees kicked off, and Bakewell ran up, only to be sent back by Dick, and Everton soon had two fouls close in through Lees handling, but nothing resulted. After Higgins had given E. Jones an easy chance. Needham paid a visit to the other end, and found Dick in his best tackling form. Pearce, however, got in, pressure being eased by Lees again getting his hands in the way. From the kick Needham got possession, and tried for goal, hitting the upright with a beauty, and Dick cleared. Working down, Costley received the ball from Eyton-Jones, who missed an opening, and Everton had a corner, but Lawrence staved danger by clearing to midfield, Dobson broke a dangerous rush of the visitors' right; but a minute later Bakewell again ran up, centred, and the ball was rushed through the posts, thus putting one goal to the credit of Derby. From the play off, Everton did a good bit of pressing, and had two fouls, Higgins, from a free kick, sending high over the bar. After Lathom had got rid of two shots from Gibson. Farmer, who was playing wretchedly, eased the Everton pressure by shooting outside the post. Fleming now set to work, and sent the ball across the goalmouth, but the inside left winger failed to take advantage. Again Fleming got down and headed in to Bestwick, who sent the leather to Needham and Selvery, but Dick prevented the pair from getting in, and, with a long kick, transferred the ball to Briscoe, that player testing the Derby gopalkeeper with a beauty, Warmby having robbed it. Jones near the goalmouth. Needham visited Smalley, who cleared very nicely, and E. Jones sent right over the bar, a nice chance thrown away. Working hard, Dobson gave to Costley, but that player waited too long, and Warmby got in. hands were again given against Lees. Higgins took the kick, and sent in a lob, the goalkeeper saving at the expense of a corner. Nothing came of it, however. Needham having been pulled up by Dick in a dangerous run, half-time arriving with the score –Derby, 1 goal; Everton, nil. The home club up to this stage of the game had been badly handicapped through having a strong sun to contend against. On changing ends, Fleming began to be busy, and enabled Briscoe to head right in, but Bestwick was always on the alert, and cleared one or two beauties. Hands again falling to the home team, Higgins took the kick, but Fleming headed a bit wide; and Bakewell did a neat run to the other end, where Dobson tackled him, causing the spectators to cheer heartily. From a goal kick to Everton, Higgins sent in a high shot. Both Eyton-Jones and Costley, however, failed to get up, which enabled Lawrence to clear by a heavy kick. Nice play by Higgins was too good for Williamson, who deliberately tripped him up. From the kick, Everton got well in, and after danger had been averted by the sterling defence of the visitors' backs, Farmer passed to Fleming, who succeeded in beating Bestwick. Both sides strove hard to put on the winning point, Everton, if anything having the call, and play became fast, Lawrence working hard to clear his lines, and Fleming and Briscoe putting in some good work. Bakewell paid a few visits to Dobson, but the home captain was always there to meet him; and Roulstone had to kick out to clear dangerous runs by Fleming, who had very hard lines in not scoring; the game, which was a very fast one, especially the second half, thus resulting in a draw of 1 goal each. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson and Jones, half-backs; Fleming, E. Jones, Costley, Briscoe, and Farmer, forwards. Derby; Bestwick, goal; Lathon and Lawrence, backs; Williamson, Warmby, and Roulstone, half-backs; Bakewell, Pearce, Lees, Selvery, and Needham, forwards.

March 19, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton had another hard nut to crack in their contest with Derby County –much tougher than the adjoining county of Notts proved –and instead of a 3 to 1 victory could only manage to make a draw of 1 goal each. That the issue was not decisive in favour of Everton. Farmer is mainly responsible for, from causes only too apparent, he was unfit to play football, missing everything, and completely spoiling the combination of all the other forwards, besides throwing confusion among the half-backs. It was a new experience to bear the crowd, among whom Farmer has always been a hero, heartily hissing him for his dallying, blundering tactics, and he will probably be reminded officially that not even the birth of a son and heart will justify him in “playing ducks and drakes” with Everton's prestige. The game, however, was fast, though roughness was manifest at times among the Derby half-backs, Roulstone being the chief offender in this respect. Fleming and Briscoe did fairly well under adverse conditions, Costley being almost as big as failure, from different causes, as Farmer; and Eyton-Jones damaged his claim to praise through selfishly trying to score when a pass to Fleming would have had the desired effect. R. Jones was too prone to trespass from the right wing to the centre. Higgins and Gibson also were not in good form. But Everton's salvation was in their back play, the efforts of Dick, Dobson, and Smalley being exceedingly brilliant in checking rushes and confining the score to a goal. As with Everton, so with Derby, for Lawrence proved himself to be one of the best backs seen on the Anfield ground for a long time, and was a sharp thorn in the side of Fleming and Briscoe. Bestwick was a safe custodian. Warmby the pick of the visitors' half-backs, and Bakewell and Needham the speedier of the forwards. With the exception of Spilsbury and Plackett, who have to played since Derby's defeat I the English Cup, the Peakites were fully represented, so a draw, after all, is a creditable performance for Everton.

Everton v Derby County.
March 19 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
The visit of the Derby County team to Anfield on Saturday excited a large amount of interest and notwithstanding the keenness of the northeast wind, there was a attendance of fully 4,000 spectators. The County started the ball, which Dick returned with a flying kick, whereupon an attack was made on the visitors' goal, and Jones took a foul, close in. This however, was cleared, and the visiting forwards rushed to the other end. Dobson headed away a shot by Bakewell, but the Derby forwards returned, and Dick only just cleared in time. At the opposite end Costley had a chance, but dallied, and Lawrence gave an abortive corner. The visitors showed fine combination, and gave the Everton backs a lot of trouble. From a run up the field by the County right the ball was sent past Smalley. Then Everton attacked, but the Derby backs showed a stolid defence, and saved time after time in admirable style. Eyton-Jone had “hard-lines” in front of the Derby uprights, the ball striking the post and going outside. Fleming was deservedly applauded for good play. Wharmby repelled a hot attack by the Everton van, and hands off Gibson further minimized the danger. Everton again attacked, however, and Briscoe sent in a long shot from the left, which Bestwick fisted out. Needham them put in a fine run along the County left, and Smalley had to handle the ball. The Derby goal was next visited, but Eyton-Jones shot badly and spoiled a good chance, while a moment later Bakewell shot a trifle wide of the Everton citadel. During an attack by the home forwards Bestwick took a corner, but nothing resulted, and half time was called with Derby leading by one goal to nothing. Costley restarted on behalf of the homesters, and Fleming running up centred finely. Briscoe headed in goal, and Bestwick cleared. Higgins next took a foul, on behalf of Everton Fleming heading on the wrong side of the posts. Bakewell dribbled down the Derby right. Dobson spoiled his final shot; shortly after which Costley missed a grand chance at the Costley end. Derby attacked again strongly, Dick clearing. Then from a foul in the centre, Farmer rushed off, and passing to Fleming, the latter defeated Bestwick and made the score equal. Both goals now became the scene of hostilities in rapid succession, and some rather rough play was indulged in. Everton were again nearly scoring, the effort being marred by Farmer kicking outside. Smalley was next troubled, but a free kick cleared the Everton quarters, and the ball was rushed to the Derby goal. Briscoe shot in, and Bestwick clearing, the play was taken to the centre. With a hugh kick, however, Dick transferred hostilities to the County end, Fleming now shooting wide. Still the visitors attacked hotly, but Needham's shot was at fault. Everton were now having the best of the play, and Costley put in a good run along the centre, ending with an outside shot. Bakewell now troubled the home backs considerably, Dobson clearing just as the whistle was heard, leaving a well contested game drawn –one goal each. Teams; - Everton; - R. Smalley, goal; G. Dobson (captain) and A. Dick, backs; M. Higgins, R. Jones and A. Gibson, half-backs; T. Costley, W. Briscoe, G. Farmer, G. Fleming, and J. A. Eyton-Jones forwards. Derby County; - Bestwick, goal; Lathom and Lawrence, backs; Williamson, Wharmby, and Routstone, half-backs; Pearce, Bakewell (captain), Lees, Selvey, and Needham, forwards.

Association Game
March 24 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
Derby County, although minus Spilisbury and Placett, opposed Everton with a strong team, and a capital game was the result. The visitors are a fine body of men, and to speak truly, it took Everton all their time to hold their own, the defence of the County backs being almost perfect. Bestwick had some good shots to fist out, but did his work in masterly style. In front of him were Lawrence and Lathom, who kicked and tackled excellently; whilst at half, Williamson and Wharmby often pulled up the Everton van in the nick of time. The two best forwards on the County side were undoubtedly Needham and Bakewell, who dribbled admirably and shot in good style. The latter scored for the County during the first half with a good shot, and Fleming equalised for Everton. Smalley had not an extra amount of work to do in the “toffees” goal owing to the grand defence of Dobson and Dick as back. Mike Higgins again preformed capitally at half, and R. Jones and Gibson also did well. Costley was rather out of form in the centre, and of Farmer's display the less said the better. Briscoe, however, did well, but Fleming was the best forward on the side, his passing being most unselfish. Eyton-Jones, who had hard lines, on two or three occasions, was rather inclined to stick to the half.

March 26, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Played at Anfield on Saturday, in the presence of over 7000 spectators. The visitors, who were the first to appear on the field, received a hearty cheer, a similar compliment, two minutes later, being awarded to Everton. The Villa team was a strong one, while Everton did duty with exactly the same players as those of last week. Archie Hunter lost the toss, and kicked off, the ball travelling towards Smalley, when Dick transferred play to the other end, where Fleming had a near chance of scoring. From the goal kick, Aston Villa worked down, and Smalley had to negotiate from the inside left. After Dick had staved off danger, Fleming ran up the right, but Devey was equal to the occasion, the leather going towards Everton goal. Hands eased the pressure. Hunter again got down and gave Brown a chance, but he got his foot too much under the ball, which went high over the bar, a feat which Hodgetts repeated two minutes afterwards. Hands enabled Everton to get up, and Eyton-Jones got robbed as he was in the act of shooting for goal. Yates tried a lob, Dobson saving nicely, and then Hodgetts tested Smalley, who cleared smartly. Dobson and Higgins broke down dangerous rushes, and from a corner kick Allen sent a shot outside the upright. The home club aroused themselves, and Briscoe and Farmer passed prettily up the field, but hands against the Villa resulted. From the free kick Fleming passed to Farmer, who was a bit high with his hot. The visitors came away, and Allen scored the first goal 40 minutes from the start. Smalley falling with the ball in his hands. Restarting, Everton put in some good work, but the visitors were playing hard, and Hodgetts and Allen enabled Archie Hunter to register a second point just before the whistle sounded for half-time. On changing ends Costley kicked off, but the ball went over the line. From the throw-in Gibson sent over to the home left pair, Yates averting danger by kicking out. Continuing to press, Everton had a shot at goal from the foot of Briscoe, followed by a foul in midfield, and Dick, in taking the free kick, put the ball close by the side of the upright. After Smalley had negotiated a shot of Hunter's Eyton-Jones and Fleming worked well down the latter player sending in, but Warmer saved. Dobson cleared a stinger from Brown, a corner resulting. Coming again, Brown got through and centred, but Hunter failed to get up, while Higgins sent to the other end, when Briscoe called on Yates, that player kicking out of the field to prevent disaster. Simmonds and Burton having stopped dangerous rushes on their respective wings, Costley fastened on the ball. The referee, however, blew his whistle for off-side just as the home centre was in the act of testing Warmer. The spectators were not happy at this incident, and called on the home team to “play up,” which they did. The visitors' back division had to keep their wits about them until Simmonds got his lines cleared. After Smalley had fisted shots from Hunter ad Hodgetts, hands were given to Everton. Fleming got down and passed to Briscoe, who kicked close by the post, and Farmer should have scored from a pass by R.Jones. Aston Villa were hooted for doubtful play. Simmonds coming in for the lion's share. At length Everton was rewarded for their plucky play, as from a pass by Gibson, Fleming scored for the homesters amidst a hearty cheer. Encouraged with this success, Everton strove hard to get level, but Simmonds generally managed to kick out to clear' while Dick, at the other end, feared nothing and kept his lines well, time arriving with the score-Aston Villa, 2, Everton 1. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson and Jones, half-backs; Fleming, Eyton-Jones, Costley, Farmer, and Briscoe, forwards. Aston Villa; Warmer, goal; Simmonds, and Cox, backs; Yates, Devey, and Burton, half-backs; Garvey, A. Brown, Hunter (captain), Hodgetts, and Allen, forwards.

March 26, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton ground presented a very animated appearance, there being quite 7000 people present to see how the Evertonians would shape against Aston Villa. With the exception of Garvey, Devey, and Simmonds, who were substitutes for Green, Dawson, and Coulston, the visitors were represented by their cup team that went down before Preston North End; and Everton played the same men who made a draw with Derby County. The game was not at all brilliant, the opening being really tame. After something like 20 minutes Aston Villa got into formation, and for a long time made matters uncomfortable for Everton. Smalley, Dick, and Dobson, however, worked hard, and held Aston well in hand, but near half-time the Villians scored twice. Everton made play much more equal in the second half, and were at goal often, but could only score once, being thus defeated by 2 goals to 1. The game on the whole was by no means a runaway affair, but it lacked nice combination, and it was in addition besmeared towards the finish with some degree of roughness. Dick and Dobson saved grandly at times, and Higgins and R. Jones bothered Aston very often; but the latter should have another trial at centre, Fleming and Briscoe were again the best forwards. For the visitors Hodgetts, Brown, and Allen were most of the ball of the forwards, the whole of the backs being strong.

Everton v Aston Villa
March 28 th 1888. The Liverpool Courier.
The visit of the ex-holders of the English Cup to the headquarters of the Everton club at Anfield on Saturday aroused an enormous amount of interest, so that at the best part of the afternoon there could not have been much less than eight thousand persons present. Although the Villa executive did not send quite their full cup team, the combination was nevertheless a strong one, and gave as good as insight into local form as could have been desired, for although the Evertonians had to accept defeat they gave their powerful opponents a right good game. Hunter kicked off at 3-40, and after Everton half-line had been crossed, Fleming, who had not been in his place at the start, rushed off in conjunction with Eyton-Jones. Farmer kicked up well, and from the pressure Fleming went over the line. Aston Villa replied on the right, and Smalley saved well, the ball going over from a return. Fleming rushed down, Devey beating him when near in, and again Aston right went down the hill, with no better success than Everton's rush. Brown kicking over from Hunter's pass. The backs on either side were now called upon Aston Villa getting the advantage, a free kick in front of goal being interrupted by R. Jones Devey sending over strongly. Simmonds got the best of a tussle with Gibson sent to Brown, who went widely over, Hodgetts shooting in a similar style a minute later. Simmonds put himself in the way of Farmer and Briscoe, Yates going on and trying a high kick, which Dobson met. Hunter and Hodgetts closed up, Smalley saving grandly from the latter, Higgins also heading away danger. Everton cleared, but Fleming let in Burton, and the opportunity was gone, the Villains bursting out for a futile corner placed by Allen. Briscoe replied and Farmer supporting well, Warmer had to fist out, Farmer and Higgins also kicking up nicely without effect. Costley missed, and Aston at once menaced goal in a forward movement, Hodgett's beating Smalley just inside the post. Forty minutes from the start Higgins was ruled to have fouled the ball, the visitors right taking up the running and shooting harmlessly, Hunter, however, got a good footing from the goal kick, and scored the second goal in a clear long shot. Aston Villa again gave trouble, Dick clearing, which incident brought up half time with Everton two goals to the bad. On Costley restarting, Gibson was no barrier to Hodgetts and Allen, and though danger threatened the backs, were equal to the call. Farmer took the ball down, and passed to Briscoe, a fine centre by the latter, which caused much anxiety to the Villians bringing down the house for a good bit of spirited play. Everton's time had not yet arrived as Hodgett and Allen were at once up the hill, and calling upon the homesters to defended. E. Jones worked hard, Higgins also kicking up, Fleming sending just outside the post. Aston now became really dangerous, and during the temporary absence of Dick, Brown centred accurately, and though Gibson failed to miss the ball, nothing came of the pressure Dobson missed, but Higgins whipped up in an instant and repaired the flaw, Briscoe running off, Farmer assisting. Dick now resumed, and had no sooner taken up his position then he was called upon to clear from Aston right. Dick took a kick at as advantageous range, but Everton would make an use of the chance, as Aston left were on the alert, a long pressure intervening. When at length Everton did clear, Briscoe was very near scoring Framer shortly after shooting over strong, Farmer and Briscoe again got possession and from a pass by Gibson, Fleming scored for Everton and of course received an ovation. From the kick off Fleming ran down and centred Simmons kicking out. Dick then had saved twice from Brown, but Dobson was compelled to risk a corner. Fleming again dribbling well; but Simmonds cleared, and time was called with midfield the scene of operations in a victory for the visitors by two goals to one. Everton; - Smalley goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Jones, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Costley, Fleming, Briscoe, Farmer, and Eyton-Jones, forwards. Aston Villa; - Warmer goal; Cox and Simmonds backs; Yates, Devey, and Burton half-backs; Gurvey, Brown Hunter, Allen, and Hodgetts, forwards.

March 31, 1888. The Liverpool Mercy
The visitors at Anfield yesterday were Padiham, and, despite the threatening aspect of the weather there was a company of fully 7000 when a start was made at 2.45, by Costley. Eyton-Jones beat Birthwistle, and kicked up to Fleming, and from a throw in, Costley scored a soft goal for Everton after a minute's play. Dick sent up well, and forced a corner, from which Farmer put behind. A. Waite ran up for Padiham, but Crears failing to take the pass, the chance was missed. Everton gave trouble from the goalkick, R. Jones bobbing into the month of goal, and Fleming exacting a corner, which was also cleared. Skirmishing at neutral quarters intervened, when an attack by Everton was set-off by a smart run on the Padiham right, Dick interposing just in time, a return by J. Thompson being similarly checked by Dick. Farmer ran off and shot outside. Park then had to fist out from the right, relief coming from an ill-judged kick by Eyton-Jones in front of goal. Higgins and Fleming retaliated on Birthwistle and Waite trying a run. Park having to save sharply from Fleming's centre. A nice piece of passing by the Everton forwards was the next item. Fleming failed to take a pass from Farmer, but on the ball being returned across Farmer, but bad luck in a tine shot, going close to the post. Everton again closed up to goal, R. Jones disfiguring the bar from an exciting scrimmage. Hooking cut Farmer and Briscoe short in a sprint, and from a throw in Padiham moved away, rapidly, a keen shot by Davy going over the line,; W. Thompson in the slight assault following with a similar futile stroke. More exciting play in front of the visitors' goal, and then Padiham got down and had an improved corner. Smalley running out to clear a further raid, which Dick ineffectually tried to stem. Costly cleared, and Briscoe sent in nicely from the corner. The goalkeeper saved but was nearly upset in a full-pitched return by Higgins, this incident bringing on the interval with Everton leading by one goal to nil. On resuming both quarters were invaded. Everton opened the attack, and on renewed aggressiveness Fleming was within an ace of scoring for Everton from a long clinkling shot. R. Jones next sent up to Farmer who rushed on, but was smartly beaten by Metcalf when about to try a delivery, a corner ensuming. Padiham right wing got under way Smalleyt had cleared from cross-over. Birthwistle made the score equal in a good return shot. Farmer and Briscoe looked like-scoring but play was interrupted through Hocking coming into collision with Farmer and becoming winded. On restarting, Fleming got in possession, and running strong, shot a fine goal, another brilliant run following by the same player. Everton now infused great energy into their play and pressed repeatedly, mainly from the right wing. Padiham broke away, however, for a rush, Smalley checking a clean, swift shot from J. Thompson, and then the home forwards again became aggressive. Fleming R. Jones, Briscoe and Farmer each contributing meritorious tactics, but found Hocking and Metcalf too quick to permit mischief. W. Thompson, in a grand run, improved matters somewhat for the visitors, without effect, and then Farmer sent over from a pass by the right. A little later Briscoe dribbled smartly, and centred to Fleming; but the latter was not quick enough to turn a fine but of play to advantage. Nidd and Dobson broke rushes. Eyton-Jones fumbling a header from Costley. Costly lifted over the bar; and after a short spell of indecisive play the game terminated in favour of Everton by two goals to one. Nidd was tried in place of Gibson but was decidedly weak on the heavy ground, and hardly justify a place in battling against such powerful opponents as Halliwell today. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goals; Dobson, and Dick, backs; Nidd, R.Jones, and Higgins, half-backs; Briscoe, Farmer, Costley, Eyton-Jones, and Fleming, forwards. Padiham; Park, goal; Hocking and Metcalfe, backs; Hodson, J. Thompson, and G. Waite, half-backs; W. Thompson, Crears, Davy, Birthwaite, and A. Waite, forwards.