May 1888

May 7, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Between 6000 and 7000 people turned up at the Anfield road ground, on Saturday, to witness the encounter with the Olympic, who brought their next season’s team, with the exception of Hargreaves (full back), whose place was filled by Chadwick, of the Rovers. The home lot was strengthened by Waugh (late of Burnley), who has signed for Everton. The visitors were late in arriving. Everton won the toss, and Devey kicked off against a strong breeze. Fielden took the ball down, but finished with a weak shot at goal. Waugh and Farmer then worked nicely up towards Barrett, who cleared three shots in grand style, and Costley eased pressure by kicking over. After Fleming had headed over the bar, the Olympic left sprinted down, and Carlile nearly scored with a nice shot. A free kick was taken by Dick, who lobbed right into the goal-mouth, where Chadwick was in readiness and cleared, but Higgins tested the goalkeeper, who had to concede a corner to save. Everton, continuing to press, had a succession of corners, but the visiting half-backs were playing a grand defensive game, and kept their lines intact. Smalley having cleared a shot from Carlile, the home team worked up, but Framer’s shot was carried high over the wind. From the goalkick, Dickson got possession, and, darting along in nice style, beat Smalley with a speedy shot, thus securing the first point for the Olympic. A roused by this reverse, the Evertonians were again busy, Waugh and Farmer passing neatly up, and were placed on an equality, the ball being put through the posts by the former. From the restart, the home club were again dangerous, but Costley got his hands in the way, a free kick resulting. Fleming had a nice shot into Barrett, who threw out, and Chadwick sent to Dickson, but he allowed Dobson to ease him. Playing well together, Everton left wing passed up, and Farmer screwed across to Costley, that player adding a second goal to the home sheet with a quick shot. Again the home forwards swarmed around Barrett, who eventually had to concede a corner to Farmer, which was only temporarily got rid of, however, as Fleming evaded Redhead and gave the leather to Briscoe, who headed the third goal for Everton. Endeavouring to augment their score, the Olympic halves worked hard, and Carlile shot in nicely; but Everton, aided by Gibson and Higgins, continued to play hard, half-time arriving with the score –Everton, 3 goals; Olympic 1. On changing over the visitors, aided by the wind, got up and had a corner, which was cleared by Dobson, the ball travelling to the other end, where Chadwick had to negotiate a warm shot from Waugh. Devey having cleared, Carlile, who gave Nidd plenty of trouble, dodged nicely up and had two shines at Smalley; but the Everton custodian was working well, and cleared splendidly. Fleming got down, and screwed the ball across the goalmouth Barrett, in saving, giving a corner, which was also got away. The visitors again transferred play, and had hands and a couple of corners, Andy Gibson clearing the lines with a hardy kick, and planting the ball well down the field, where Waugh and Farmer made it uneasy for Barrett. George hitting the bar with one of his old shots, and Waugh sending in a warm one, which the visitors’ goalkeeper got away at the expense of a corner. From now to the finish the Olympians worked hard, but found the home team impregnable, while Everton failed to notch another point, a pleasant game resulting in a win for Everton by 3 goals to 1. For the winners, Smalley, Dick, and Watson played a good defensive game; Gibson and Higgins were the best halves; while forward, Waugh was the most conspicuous of a good lot. For the loser’s Barrett (in goal) worked hard, the backs only middling, half-backs a splendid trio, and Carlile the best of the forwards. Teams; Everton-Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson, and Nidd, half-backs; Fleming, Briscoe, Costley, Waugh, and Farmer, forwards. Olympic; Barrett, goal; Chadwick and Redhead, backs; Gibson, Starlde, and D. Cooke, half-backs; Fieden, Carlile, Devey, Dickson and Hothersall, forwards.
We are informed that a commission will sit in Liverpool towards the end of the month to investigate the case of Watson and Goudie, of Everton, with a view to reinstatement.

May 14, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
A crowd of 9000 turned up at the Anfield-road ground on Saturday afternoon to witness the above match. The Lancashire Cupholders had their full team, but the home club was somewhat weakened through Waugh’s inability to play, a sprained ankle being the cause of his absence. Sourbutts partnered Farmer, while Archie Goodall took Costley’s place in the centre. Dobson won the toss, and took advantage of the wind and sun. Fecitt kicked off, and for the first ten minutes kept the home back division busy, Gibson and Higgins being conspicuous in keeping Smalley’s charge clear. Dick having negotiated a shot of Yates’s close in, the home forwards were enabled to get to the other end, where Fleming tested Horne with a splendid screw shot, and Farmer nearly affected a downfall, followed by a corner from McLennan, who was compelled to kick out to avert disaster. After Goodall, Fleming, and Lofthouse had each paid attention to their respective goals, Everton had hands given to them, but Dick, taking the kick, sent the ball to the side of the post. The play continued in Accrington quarters for some considerable time, and Horne had to clear a nice lob from Fleming and two warm shots from Higgins and Goodall, a corner eventually being given, which was nicely taken, the ball hitting the bar and going over. Lofthouse having sent in a hot one to Smalley half-time arrived with a clean sheet. The home club at this stage had the best of the play, but luck seemed to be set against them. On re-starting, the Accrington men, with the elements in their favour, soon assumed the aggressive, and in two minutes time had a goal to their credit, Bonar having passed to Holden, who neat Smalley with a low, swift shot. Striving hard to equalise, the home club were again busy around Horne, who had to put in all he knew to keep his lines clear, but, in repelling Fleming, concede a corner, which Chippendale cleared, and shortly afterwards Fecitt added a second point to the visitors with a very fluky shot, the ball deceiving Smalley, who through it was travelling outside of the upright. Both sides worked hard to the finish, particularly the homesters, and Fleming, who did what small share of the work he had to do well, had hard lines in not scoring, the goalkeeper having had great difficulty in getting his shots away. No further scoring talking place, Accrington won by 2 goals to nil. The visitors were at their strongest, and played a winning game all round. Horne (in goal), who had an anxious time throughout the match surprised himself with his own cleverness, and Fecitt and Yates were the most prominent forward. The losers played at great disadvantage, Dick being compelled to change wings with Dobson owing to the former’s leg being still weak from a recent injury, while Goodall allowed Fleming and Briscoe to stand idly by, through persistently feeding the left pair, who had Stevenson and Geo Haworth to face them, whereas had he given Fleming more work the latter would assuredly have scored, as he and Briscoe were in their best form. Sourbutts and Farmer did fairly well, but Nidd did not seem at home, and Dobson, Gibson and Higgins played a hard and sterling game in their respective places. Teams; Accrington; Horne, goal; Stevenson and McLennan, backs; Haworth, Chippendale, and Pemberton, half-backs; Lofthouse, Bona, Fecitt, Holden, and Yates, forwards. Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson, and Nidd, half-backs; Fleming, Briscoe, Goodall, Farmer, and Sourbutts, forwards.

May 22, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
The Shaffordshire cupholders made their first appearance in Liverpool yesterday, afternoon, and over 7000 spectators lined the ground at Anfield road. The visitors turned up with a full team, but the home eleven had five substitutes. Gibson started the ball against the sun and wind. Soon the visitors ran up, Cooper finishing with a wide shot. From the goal kick Everton worked down, and Briscoe made two attempts to score from passes by Gibson. Running up the hill, the “Wolves” caused Smalley anxiety, but Dick, who was in one of his best moods, cleared splendidly, a shie from Wood going over. After Baugh had negotiated a dangerous rush of the home right and centre, Fall shot in, and then Dick rushed down, a corner kick being concede him, which however, was badly take. The ball was soon back again in the home quarters, where Wood and White tried shots, but found the back division intact. A combined run of the Everton forwards looked as if the initial goal would be registered, but R. Jones was late in getting down, and Baynton ran out and kicked the ball well up. When Cooper again tested Dick, hands against W. Jones nearly proved fatal, Smalley having great difficulty in clearing. A similar mishap befell the Wanderers, but Higgins kicked wide, and half-time arrived with a blank sheet. On changing over, Wood, who had taken Benton’s place in the centre, sent the ball rolling, and soon the visitors were invading the home end, where Higgins gave hands, but Lowder was wide with his shot. Arousing themselves the homesters began to be busy, and kept the play for some time in their opponents’ ground. Falls and Briscoe shots, but Baugh managed to keep the charge clear. Again Falls got up and screwed across to R. Jones, who shot nicely in, but Mason sent the ball spinning down the field, only to be returned by Dick, who gave his side a chance, Briscoe getting penalised for off-side as he was about to shoot for goal. Hard kicking took play towards Smalley, and Dobson in clearing, conceded a corner, which Dick headed away, and enabled Falls and Gibson to get to the other end, where Briscoe again got his hands on the ball. From the free kick the visitors’ left wing went down, and Lowder sent in a warm shot, Smalley being heavily charged just as he had cleared. The referee cautioned the player. Resuming play continued furious, and both goals were often visited, but neither side could score, a medium game thus ending in a draw. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Nidd, Pollock, and W. Jones, half-backs; Higgins, Falls, Gibson, Richard Jones, and Briscoe, forwards. Wanderers; Baynton, goal; Baugh and Mason, backs; Fletcher, Allen, and Lowder, half-backs; Hunter, Cooper, Wood, White and Benton, forwards.

May 28, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
M. Higgins Benefit
The Everton ground presented a very animated appearance on Saturday evening, when fully 10,000 people assembled to witness a match under the above title, and at the same time give practical proof of their appreciation of M. Higgins’s ten year’s football service. The benefloiare, who is 26 years of age, first played football in Stanley Park, and soon became a prominent member, in conjunction with T. Evans, T. Marriott, W. Parry, and others, of the United Church Club, an organisation at the time St. Domingo, which included J. McGill, and R. Morris as their great rivals. In 1879 these two clubs amalgamated, and formed the present Everton Club. After a short experience as a second eleven player, Higgins was promoted to first team rank, partnering in turn J. Richards and W. Gibson on the left wing with marked success. Latterly he has been seen as an outside half-back, in which position he has even excelled all previous performances, and in addition, as a “handy man,” could always be depended upon to fill any place on an emergency with credit. During his career Mike had won six medals (four gold and two silver), and up to 1885 had played for every district match. Mr. Sudell’s team, though only containing one Preston North End man (Ferguson), was a very strong one, whilst the local eleven could hardly have been improved, including Watson, who with Goudie, was reinstated at the National Association meeting on Friday. Higgins and Watson entering the field together received a great ovation, and at 5.45 Roberts kicked off. Liverpool forced their way down hill but failed to pass Lang, who put in a clever bit of back play. The home forwards at once renewed the attack, Farmer, Hastings, and Jamieson showing up in nice combination. Hasting, however, was wide in his shot, and on the left wingers again beating Friel, Farmer just went outside. The visitors’ right cleared, Gallacher calling upon Smalley; whilst Duncan, from Roberts, made a good attempt at goal. Wilson followed in a spin on the right, and centred accurately to Jamieson, who shot against the bar, a corner well placed by Higgins giving trouble. The home left wing were the next to attack. Holt lifting over from the pass, Wilson following with a grand shie, which Gallocher smartly met. Farmer and Hastings then contributed another fine passing run, but the former had no luck with his shot. Duncan missed a chance off Roberts, and let in Hastings and Farmer. Friel saved, but on Wilson heading to Jamieson, the latter headed a goal. The visitors now settled down for an onslaught. Duncan, Gallocher, and Roberts each being very near scoring. Just before the interval a fine combined movement by Watson, Wilson, Hastings, and Jamieson secured another goal for the homesters, Jamieson putting on the finishing touches from Hastings’s pass near the line. The second half was very evenly contested, the Liverpool right wing having more work than in the first half, Ferguson was often called upon to clear up to 20 minutes of the restart, but towards the close the visitors in the endeavours to save the game, became very troublesome. Smalley, Dick, and Veitch, however, were impassable, and so a fairly good contest terminated in favour of Liverpool by 2 goals to 0. Teams; Liverpool; Smalley, goal; Veitch and Dick, backs; Higgins, Holt, and Dobson, half-backs; Hastings, Farmer, Jamieson, W. Wilson, and E. Watson, forwards. Mr. Sudell’s team; Ferguson, goal; Lang and Berry, backs; Abraham, Friel, and Keenan, half-backs; Duncan, McFettridge, Roberts, Crombie, and Gallocher, forwards.

May 30, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
These clubs played off their return match at Anfield last night, in the presence of about 3000 spectators. Stanley went well up at the start, forcing a couple of corners, during which Everton were three men short, but on the home team becoming complete Farmer and Sourbutt gave trouble on the left. Watson sending behind on a return attack from a corner. A hot assault, out of which Goudie was near scoring, whilst Brown spoilt a corner placed by Sourbutts. Quine and Brown cleared up the left, but on J. Wilson centreing, Sourbutts got under sail, Roberts and Stevens replied, and after either line had been crossed, a free kick by Dick, close in, was neutralised by Gibson giving hands. Just before the interval Sourbutts put a cross shot outside. On Goudie restarting Everton got up on the left, but Sourbutt’s good shot was checked, and in a moment Stevens took aim for Stanley, Dobson upsetting Stevens when again dangerous. The visitors goal was then the scene of a severe tussle, terminating in Sourbutts going outside. Stanley dashed off, and a smart bit of forward work enabled R. Jones to score the first goal of the match, after three-quarters of an hour’s play. W. Wilson spoilt the efforts of Everton’s left wing, Watson a little later putting behind from the right. Dick next had to kick out, and on Gibson dribbling up nicely R. Griffiths was in time to beat Sourbutta, J. Griffiths fisting out from Farmer. The game now proceeded very fast, Everton repeatedly closing up to goal, but Smalley’s defence was brilliant, particularly that of the Griffiths. At length Everton scrimmaged a goal, and equalised, a level game ending in a draw of 1 goal each. Teams; Everton; Smalley, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; W. Jones, Gibson, and Pollock, half-backs; Sourbutts, Farmer, Goudie, Watson and Briscoe, forwards. Stanley; J. Grithhs, goal; R. Griffths, and W. Wilson, backs; J. Wilson, Roberts, and McDonald, half-backs; Quine, R. Brown, Stevens, R. Jones and Hay, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.J. Bentley.

June 9, 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
A match in aid of the St. Helens-Colliery Explosion Fund and local charities will take place at the Everton Club Ground (kindly lent for the occasion by the committee) this day (Saturday). Kick off at five p.m. The following are the teams; Everton and Bootle- R Smalley (Everton), goal; T. Vietch (Bootle), and A. Dick (Everton), backs; F. Woods (Bootle), G. Dobson (Everton), and A. Allsopp (Bootle), half-backs; R. Watson and G. Fleming (Everton), right wing; R. Jamieson (Bootle), (centre); G. Farmer (Everton) and W. Hasting (Bootle), left wing; reserves J. Wilding and T. Morris (Bootle). Remainder of District –J. Jackson (Bootle), goal; A. Goodall and W.M. Wilson (Stanley), backs; L. Roberts (Stanley), J. McLaran (Police Athletic), and J. Campbell (Bootle), half-backs; R. Jones (Stanley) and R. Tasker (Southport High Park), right wing; S. Stephens (Police Athletic), centre; J. Shaw and A. Shaw (Earlestown), left wing; reserves, W. Briscoe (Everton) and W. Morgan (Tranmere Rovers).

June 16th 1888. Football Field.
Income, £2,251 1s. 6d; Balance, £17 3s. 11d.
A new Secretary.
The long-looked for meeting of the Everton Football Club has now been a matter of history. The rumours of changes and alterations which were flying about conveyed the idea at once that the feeling of the members generally were in a state of ferment, and that an excited meeting was bound to be the upshot. In short, if only half of what was talked about came to pass there would be hardly an old name left amongst the executive. There was to be a new committee, a new secretary, and heaven only knows what else. Dry bones were to be made shake, the most secret doings of the past season were to be dragged forth, and altogether we were promised as nice a little field –night as the most fastidious in such matters could desire. Well, sir, the members gathered to the number of 111, so that the large dining room of the Sandon was well filled if one might judge by the beads of perspiration which stood out on the foreheads of some of the more portly individuals present. The chair was taken by the Worthy President (Mr. Houlding). After a short opening statement a spirited debate took place as to the right of professional members to vote. Mr. Barclay laid down the law on the point very concisely and the “pros.” Were muzzled. The accounts were then proceeded with in the shape of a most formidable balance-sheet, of which I append a summary; -
Receipts £ s. d. Expendures. £ s. d.
Balance from last share of Gate
Year 41 12 6 to visiting
Gate receipts 2111 8 4 clubs 697 14 9
Hire of Ground 36 18 8 Grounds Improvements
Subscriptions 61 2 0 Rent, players, wages, Travelling Expenses
Gate Expenses, Referees’ Expenses’,
Insurances Grounds men, Printing,
Posting, Stationery, Taxes, etc, Subs to Associations,
Costs 1536 2 10
Balance 17 3 11
Total £2251 1 6 Total £2251 1 6
During the reading of the above it became evident from the ominous lowering of brows that a small storm was brewing, and at the close it burst in the shape of a number of queries anent certain travelling expenses which it was alleged had been incurred before the authority of the Committee had been obtained. One or two members showed great pertinacity in this matter and it was thoroughly settled before any other business was done. Then the question of expending £370 on building stands and others improvements was brought up and a doubt was expressed as to whether the right course had been pursued in not having the work done by contract or asking for tenders, etc. This brought the President to his feet, and in language concise and telling he made it perfectly clear that the building of the stand could not possibly have been done cheaper than what it was and challenged any of the builders or architects in the room to refute his statement. Mr. Martin gracefully acknowledged the explanation furnished, and the President went on by comparison between the popularity of the game six or seven years ago when a big match in Stanley Park was intended to be one of the features of the Fancy Fair, and yet not more than 50 or 100 people paused to look at the game. He then carried their minds back to the time when an effort was being made to secure an enclosed ground in Prior-road, Anfield. This was obtained but their success was of such a negative character that they had to leave at the end of the season minus goal posts, ropes, stakes, etc. A deputation then waited on him and he was induced to use his influence in securing their present ground on certain conditions, one of which was that a benefit match be played for Stanley Hospital. Still the gate money was a mere nothing, although under the management of Messrs. Barclay, Jackson, Co. the club began to make some headway. Just, then, however, another difficulty loomed up in the fact that the owner of the ground decided to put in the market, and he (the President) was again prevailed on to step in to their assistance, and, after some preliminaries, he agreed to buy the field, which, with law costs, etc., accounted £6,000. Two thousand of this amount was paid by him, and the remaining portion left as a mortgage or loan, upon which three per cent, interest was paid. Thus it would be seen that he had to pay £120 per annum for this concession, whilst the club only paid him £100 a year, and not £200 as stated, whilst he received nothing for his £2,000, which at the lowest computation ought to be bringing him in £60 a year. He mentioned this fact because some of the members appeared to think that he was receiving a fair remuneration for the field, and that consequently there was no necessity for his having a nominee on the committee. But he thought that all fair-minded men would agree that under the circumstances it was not too much to ask, seeing that owing to his having so many important duties to fulfil he could not attend himself. The £370 paid for erecting stands Etc., was paid out of his money, as the club had no funds, and consequently he wished to be informed of what was going on, and Mr. Ramsey was the only one who could do it, otherwise what security had he for such expenditure if things were mismanaged? However, he did not wish to cripple the club in any way; far from it, and he thought he had shown that he took as great an interest in the club as any of them. He was quite willing to allow things to go on as before, with the exception that he must certainly ask for at least 2 and half per cent, on his money, and if the club could afford any more at the end of the season he would expect that amount to be increased by 1 or 1 and half per cent. But not otherwise. This explanation was well received, and the increase asked for promptly voted. The rules were then brought up for consideration, and at the instigation of Mr. Howarth, several changes were made, one especially as regards payments by the treasurer being of a rather important character. At a very late hour the election of officers was proceeded with. The president and treasurer were unanimously re-elected, and then came the event of the evening –viz., the election of secretary. No sooner had the president sat down than up jumped men from different points of the room, but Mr. Galbraith I think it was who caught the Speaker’s eye presumed in most eulogistic terms Mr. Barclay for the position. This was seconded by Vice President Jackson, who in fiery speech denounced Mr. Nesbit in no measured terms. An uncomfortable pause ensued, and then the President raised his voice on behalf of Mr. Nesbit, who he considered had worked hard and well for the club, and he attributed a great deal of its late success to his efforts in securing fixtures with first class clubs. Furthermore, he drew a comparison with their position in 1883-84, when the receipts were only £50 or £60, whereas last year they amounted to £1,456 and this to £2,111. This appeal, powerful though it was, did not even bring up a seconded, and Mr. Barclay, amidst great cheering was announced as being elected. Mr. R. Stockton was elected assistant secretary, but as there were no less than 13 names for eight places on the Committee this business was postponed for a week.