October 1887

Everton V Witton October 3 rd 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post.
The meeting of these clubs on the Everton ground on Saturday drew a great gate, there being between 7,000 or 8,000 spectators present. On the last occasion when these teams met. Everton although playing their full strength were beaten; and it was only the most enthusiastic of their supporters who expected that on this occasion, although playing a weaker team, they would be able to snatch a victory. Their hopes were blighted, but the inavority of four to one ought to have been much less, as the last two goals scored by Witton, were in our opinion clearly offside. The Everton forwards also failed to utilise the chances obtained notably Costley, and Farmer; each of these players had the goal at his mercy, but failed in a most ridiculous manner. The ground was in splendid condition, and the stand so crowded that the members of the fourth sat are were almost bundled out of the portion railed off for their use. Everton won the toss, and decided to face the Walton-road goal, thus facing the incline and a slight breeze. Witton commenced the attack, and worked the ball over the line. Dobson kicked out, and Lea Junes of possession, but was promptly robbed by Alston, and Turner just shot over the bar. Everton showed up by good passing, and Smith kicked into touch. Grimshaw scored first for Witton, and after some very even play, Haresnape dashed along the right, Dobson failed to stay his progress, and a pass to Grimshaw enabled the latter to defeat Tynsley a second time. From the kick off Everton swarmed round the Witton posts, but their efforts ended in a corner only, and this was kicked behind. A fine shot by Richards was soon after splendidly saved by Wilson, and Hanesnape again got away, Dicks stopped him and Gibson was cheered for a good piece of tackling, but Witton, playing a much prettier and hotter combined game, held the upper hand. Farmer now got the ball and raced away from the back division until he was within ten yards of the Witton goal and having but the goalkeeper to deal with a goal seemed an absolute certainly, but to the surprise of everyone he shot the ball a yard wide. Everton were for a time on the defensive, Briscoe then by a doggy run got clear and passed to Farmer, who as usual bolted off, but before making a final attempt waited until it was too late and then got dispossessed. Things now looked black for Everton. Dick got penalised for a trip and the home goal was in great danger; but Gibson and Jones cleared. Briscoe again got off passed to Richards, the latter to Costley, who had a similar chance to that which Farmer had, but with a reckless kick sent the globe frying yards over the bar. Just on half time Richards ran up, centred, a sharp scrimmage followed and Farmer scored the only goal obtained by his side. The teams crossed over, Richards took up centre and kicked off, instead of Lea Jones, who was hardly class enough for his position. Jones raced along the right, but shot very wide of the mark. The Witton right replied, and so the game went briskly on. Richards passed to the right, and Jones sent in a good one. Smith proved a stoppage, but as the ball travelled to the left Farmer met it and shot well in, Wilson negotiated it in a masterly manner, and Horsefield bolted along to centre of the field. Dobson interposed, and Farmer struck the crossbar. Wilson cleared, and the ball was almost immediately at the other end, where Hothersall, who had been lying off side, got possession and scored a third point. From the kick off Witton dashed up, Dicks cleared, but “hands” in front of Everton's goal gave rise to further uneasiness. Hothersal again got the ball but was palpably offside, and in addition to this the ball was knocked through by one of the players hands. An appeal was made but the decision was against Everton. Play now became desultory, and at the call of time Witton entered the second round of the cup by four goals to one. Teams; - Everton; - Tynsley goal; Dick and Dobson (captain) backs; Higgins, Gibson and G. Jones half-backs; Costley, Farmer, Lea Jones, Briscoe, and Richards, forwards. Witton; - Wilson, goal; Shorrock, and Smith, backs; Pickering, Altson, and Almond, half-backs; Hothersall, Turner, Horsefield, Grimshaw, and Harensnape forwards.

Everton v Witton
October 3, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
There was a big crowd assembled round the Everton enclosure to witness the above match, the number probably reaching 6,000. Some weeks ago Witton defeated the Anfield-road lot by 5 goals to 3, and seeing that the number of Everton ineligibles was considerable, no surprise need be felt at the repetition of Witton's success. The Blackburn club clearly outplayed their opponents, who were defeated by 4 goals to 1. A late start a late start was made and Witton led off in an attack on the Oakfield road goal, which Everton had elected to defend. Haresnape and Grimshaw at once got to work on the Witton right, and two shots in succession passed close by the Everton posts. A return by Dick, enabled Briscoe and Richards to retaliate, and Wilson was called upon to throw out the visitors goal. A free kick was taken in Witton quarters, following which Haresnape centred beautifully from the visitors right, and Alston shot close. Farmer was getting nicely away, but was blocked by Smith, when another free kick was awarded the home side, which did not improve their position, as the Witton forwards secured possession, and after Turner and Hothersall had tried to get a points, Dick cleared his ;lines with a flying kick. A third case of “hands” was decided against Witton, and Wilson had to fist away, when another pretty dash of the visitors' forwards ended in Haresnape scoring the first goal. The restart was inarked by some fine play in midfield by Pickering, of Witton, and another threatening assault was made on the Everton goal. The ball was driven away repeatedly by the home backs, and at last Farmer was enabled to get in a low fast shot just clear of the Witton goal. Back again Haresnape and Grimshaw made beautiful play on the wing, and the latter notched a second point. Farmer signalised the restart by a wild shot at the Witton goal, and Jones failed to make use of a great chance. A corner kick was next thrown away, and Farmer again got nicely placed, but as he hesitated, Smith banged the ball into midfield. Again the Everton left-winger returned, and finished a fine effort by an equally fine shot. Play was once more on the visitors right, and again did Haresnape get in a most accurate centre, and when the ball was shot in the home custodian made good use of his hands. Dick was penalised for a shady bit of play, and whilst Witton just afterwards were making an appeal Costley made a ridiculous shot with the goal at his mercy. A period of desultory play in Witton quarters ended in Briscoe shooting a splendid goal at a most unexpected juncture. Witton now passed to perfection, and Tynsley was cheered for a fine save, just on half-time. Witton were first aggressors on re-starting, but the home side, throwing more vigour into their play, raised hopes that the game might yet be saved. There was a spell of serious pressure on the Witton goal; Wilson twice hit out in splendid style; Farmer hit the crossbar, and by a supreme effort Shorrock at last transferred the scene of hostilities to the Everton quarters. Haresnape got in one of his characteristic centres, and Turner sent the ball home -3-1 in favour of Witton. The assault was renewed with vigour at the Everton end, and Higgins deliberately hit the ball when it had passed beyond the reach of Tynsley. The visitors claimed a goal, but only got a free kick, right on the Everton goal line. The ball came out, but Shorrock returned splendidly, and then a claim of “off-wide” retarded the Witton progress. Everton had another interval of hopeful portent, but Wilson's left hand was ever ready to deal with shots of any description, and Smith, with the greatest nonchalance, repeatedly foiled the threatening attacks of the Everton left. Dobson was compelled to yield a corner to Witton, but danger was averted, only to be again presented as Hothersall dribbled alone the touch line, quite oblivious of the attentions of Higgins. Centring finely, the Everton goalkeeper did not loose the ball very readily, and while he dallied, Horsfield was upon him, and Witton obtained the striking lead of 4 to 1. Everton were now apparently disheartened, and as there was much spilling and several ugly collisions, play accordingly deteriorated. Turner was badly hurt in a rencontre with Dick, who was loudly hooted, but, as no free kick was awarded, it is to be presumed that no technical “foul” occurred. Just at the finish Haresnape showed some wonderful dodging on the Witton right, taking the ball through a shoal of opponents. The end soon came, Witton being victorious by 4 to 1. Teams; Witton; Wilson, goal; Smith and Shorrock, backs; Alston, Pickering and Almond, half-backs; Haresnape, Grimshaw, Horsefield, Turner and Hothersall, forwards. Everton; Tynsley, goal; Dobson and Dick, backs; Jones, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Costley, Farmer, Jones, Richards, and Briscoe, forwards.

Football Notes
Anfield Road was worked up to an extraordinary pitch by the series of brilliant exhibition matches. It is only fair to the committee to point out that the alterations in the ground have necessitated a sacrifice of any remunerative series of home matches, and when the season gets fairly under weight, a succession of games will be presented, which will surpass anything yet seen at Anfield road. The improvements both in the field of play and in the accommodation for spectators are simply astonishing, and when complete will rendor the Everton enclosure second to none. Meantime everyone is on the tiptoe of expectation as to the ability of the new players, and the effectiveness of their combination.

October 10, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton made the long journey to Nottingham for the first time to play the once famous Notts County team, at Trent Bridge. There were several further changes to be noted in the composition of the Liverpool club. Small was tried in goal, whilst McPherson and Cassidy gave way to Charteris and Briscoe in the front division. Notts were strong represented, and the game proved a well-contested one, ending in a draw of 1 goal each. The weather, as elsewhere, was of the most wretched description, and the attendance only moderate. Everton lost the toss, and from the start at once won a corner kick, which remained unimproved. Then Brown was conspicuous in a fine run along the home right, and for a space the visitors were kept well on the defensive. This period was followed by a distinct assertion of superiority by Everton, some very good attacks being made and several corners being won. A free kick in the home goal resulted disastrously for them, Briscoe scoring a good one, for the remainder of the portion, Everton showed much better play than the home side, but failed to increase their lead. In the second half Everton for a time kept their opponents on the defensive, until Brown, after a splendid run, gave Jackson an easy opportunity, and , as the Everton custodian fell, the Notts centre easily equalised. From this point the Everton goal was strongly, but, no further goals being scored, the match remained drawn. Teams;- Everton; Small, goal; Dick and Dobson, backs; Murray, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Charteris, Watson, Goudie, Farmer and Briscoe, forwards. Notts County; Holland, goal; Peters and Moore, backs; Harker, Emmett, and T.H. Brown, half-backs; Gunn, Moore, Jackson, and H and J. Brown, forwards.

Football Notes
Everton, after a very tedious railway journey to Nottingham, came out remarkably well in their fixture at Trent Bridge. The once famous Notts County team seems never to have recovered the wreck of their hopes of winning the English Cup at South Shore two seasons ago, when they had one of the finest teams in the country. Indeed, but for that “accident” they would have no doubt made a very strong bid for the championship –Their form last season was “streaky” and their defeat by 14 to nil at Preston will be readily recalled. This season has opened very badly with them –West Bromwich Albion, Walsall, and Stoke all taking them down with easy –but they appear to be mending, judging by their victories over Leek and Mitchell's St George's. The latter game was played on Thursday, and Saturday's match with Everton brought the famous Goose Fair festivities to a termination. Harry Daft was absent from the Notts eleven, and H. Cursbam appears to have given up entirely. Everton had two new men –Small, in goal, and Charteris, on the right, vice MacPherson, Cassidy was also missing from the left, letting in Briscoe. The same dismal conditions which everywhere prevailed were experienced at Nottingham, and correct play was no easy matter. The game was well contested, but the visitors were, on the whole, the better side, and though narrowly escaping defeat at the finish, had more chances than their opponents in the drawn game. –Spectator.

Everton v Notts County
October 10 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
Our premier local team started by an early train on Saturday morning to make a first appearance on the celebrated Trent Bridge Ground, Nottingham. The weather was not exactly what could have been wished, but it was decidedly better than it was in the vicinity of Liverpool. The team was not so strong as it might have been. Fleming on the right, and Cassidy, on the left being absentee. Briscoe took the place of Cassidy –a rather trying ordeal for a right winger, and doubtless the unusage of the position may account for a rather bad attempt when the goal was fairly within his reach. Charteris, as compared with Fleming on the right, was almost useless. The halves did well, Gibson putting in a lot of hard work, whilst Murray attended assiduously to the great Gunn. Dobson's kicking was much admired and Dick tackled well, but the goalkeeping of Smalley was exceptionally good. The Left wing of the Notts team pleased us most, although Gunn and his partner played a nice game, the former being very unselfish. G.H. Brown and Moore were very good behind. The services of an efficient referee was obtained, and a pleasant game ended in a draw of one goal each.

Gunn won the toss, and defended the pavilion goal, Goudie kicked off, and the Evertonians swarmed round the home goal. A claim of hands looked bad for Notts, but the goal was saved at the expense of a corner. Briscoe met the ball and headed offside. J. A. Brown then put in a nice run, Dick tackled and Moors was immediately called on to check another impetuous rush. Hands off Emmett, and Gibson shot past the post. Dick cleared a shot by Gunn, and directly after Smallie had occasion to use his hands in repelling a well-directed shot from a free kick. The home team now pressed Everton, Jackson and H. brown shooting very wide. Dobson now gave the ball to Murray, he in turn to Farmer, and J. Brown kicked behind his own goal-line to save. The corner was abortive, but immediately afterwards Farmer shot well in; the ball was fouled in the goalmouth and from the free kick which was promptly awarded Farmer obtained the major point, the result being well received by the spectators. Everton now put in a lot of pressing, the forwards playing a better passing game than their opponents. Murray returned a shot from Peters, which Moore saved very well. Gibson replied, and Goudie shot in hard. Holland hit out, and Briscoe had a rare chance, but failed. Gunn now gave Jackson a fine opening, but it his attempt was ridiculously weak. Half-time arrived with Everton holding the lead. After the interval Jackson restarted; Farmer came away on the left, but appealed to be shoved over just as he was about to shoot. Gibson pulled up Johnson on the return track, and Goudie was again unsuccessful. From the kick out Goudie, Briscoe and Watson played on neatly, Briscoe shooting wide. Gunn relied by a dashing run, and a corner followed, which came to nothing. J. A. Brown now dribbled along the left, floored Higgins dodged past Dick, and rolling over Dobson centred beautifully. Jackson dashed the ball in low, Smallie dropped on his knees, caught the leather and threw out, but Jackson meeting it again before Smallie could get it up, rattled it through amidst defeating cheers. Now that the scores were level, the Notts men, encouraged by the cheers of their partisans, played up strong, and the visitors forwards, losing for a time their previous good combination, the home team held a strong lead, and nothing but the clever goalkeeping of Smallie enabled the Evertonians to stave off a defeat. Three times in as many seconds did he hit the ball out, and at last Everton came away. G.H. Brown interposed, and Gunn ran the ball over the line. A miskick by Charteris gave Gunn possession, and H. B. Brown just grazed the post. Dobson, who had been winded again made play. Gibson assisted the ball in its fight and the forwards made a gallant effort to gain the winning point, and this was within measurable distance when Goudie was charged from behind as he was steadying himself for a final effort. However, the whistle blew, and the game terminated as above. Teams; - Notts County; - Holland, goal; H.T. Moore and Peters, backs; G. H. Brown, Emmett, and Harker, half-backs; Gunn, A. E. Moore, Jackson, H. H. Brown, and J. A. Brown, forwards. Everton; - Smallie, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Goudie, and Murray, half-backs; Farmer, Briscoe, Goudie, Watson and Charteris, forwards.

October 15, 1987. The Nottinghamshire Guardian
The match between Notts and Everton was disappointing –indeed, the spectators never seemed to be aroused to anything like interest in the struggle until Notts equalised in the middle of the latter portion of play. Them they continually cheered and stimulated the wearers of the chocolate and blue. Although the Notts team under the influence improved greatly they were decidedly unlucky. Several times the ball struck the posts, and so the game ended in a tie of one goal-each. During the first half the visitors had slightly the best of the exchanges, but during the latter portion they did not show up so well, their backs allowing themselves to be flurried and get out of their position. Everton are a sturdy lot with plenty of stamina, but they are slow. Their combination was on the whole better than that of Notts, who relied chiefly on the spasmodic rushes of the brothers Brown. Holland in goal kept out some good shots, while Peter and G. H. Brown were oddly enough, the best of the back division. The Browns –J.A. and H.H –played a fine forward game, but none of the others showed to advantage. Guns was well looked after by Murray who was occasionally assisted by Gibson and Dobson, so that he had very little opportunity of distinguishing himself. Jackson and Albert Moore were very weak. The visitor's forwards were not so clever as expected, but their defence was strong, Dick and Dobson being a pair of clean and safe backs. As Everton have one of the newest and best-appointed grounds in Lancashire, and as the Liverpoolians will assemble in large numbers, the return match will be interesting. From October 8 th Notts played four matches scoring 15 goals to 9. They beat Leek, were defeated by West Bromwich Albion, conquered Mitchell's St. George, and tied with Everton.

October 15, 1887. Nottinghamshire Guardian
The match between Notts, and Everton was disappointing –indeed, the spectators never seemed to be aroused to anything like interest in the struggle until Notts, equalised in the middle of the latter portion of play. Then they continually cheered and stimulated the wearers of the chocolate and blue. Although the Notts team under this influence improved greatly they were decidedly unlucky. Several times the ball struck the posts, and so the game ended in a tie one goal each. During the first half the visitors had slightly the best of the exchanges, but during the latter portion they did not show up well, their backs allowing themselves to be flurried and to get out of their positions. Everton are a sturdy lot with plenty of stamina, but they are slow. Their combination was on the whole better than that of Notts, who relied chiefly on the spasmodic rushes of the brothers Brown. Holland in goal kept out some good shots, while Peters and G. H. Brown were, oddly enough, the best of the back division. The Browns –J.A. and H.H. –played a fine forward game, but none of the others showed to advantage. Gunn was well looked after by Murray, who was occasionally assisted by Gibson and Dobson, so that he had very little opportunity of distinguishing himself. Jackson and Albert Moore were very weak. The visitors' forwards were not so clever as expected, but their defence was strong, Dick and Dobson being a pair of clean and safe backs. As Everton have one of the newest and best-appointed grounds in Lancashire, and as the Liverpudlians will assemble in large numbers, the return match will be interesting. From October 1 st to October 8 th Notts played four matches, scoring 15 goals to 9. They beat Leek, were defeated by West Bromwich Albion, conquered Mitchell's St. George's and tied with Everton.

October 17, 1877. The Liverpool Mercury
Played at Bolton, on Saturday, before 3000 spectators. The home team won the toss, and Goudie kicked off. The Wanderers ran down and Struthers sent in a shot which went wide of the posts. Then the Evertonians showed prominently, but hands to the Wanderers followed shortly after. E ach end was assailed at this juncture, and Howarth at length got the ball and banged a shot through, but was declared offside. A little later the Everton men got dangerous near the Wanderers' goal, but could not score. Later, Steel sent in a shot to Joliffe, and the ball struck the bar, whilst a minute afterwards he got one past the Everton custodian, and was ruled offside, so that half-time arrived without either side being able to score. On restarting, the Wanderers made a sudden onslaught on the Everton goal, and Struthers was only just robbed of the ball by Joliffe coming out. The ball continued to be kept in the vicinity of the Everton goal, and after a big scrimmage Roberts got the ball, and lifting it over the heads of the players scored the first goal for the Wanderers. Next an exciting run by the visitors ended in a fine shot by Watson, but Unsworth just managed to keep the ball out. During the second half Davenport disgraced the Wanderers through striking Dick, who had floored him awkwardly. Towards the finish Everton had a grand chance of scoring, but failed, and the result was a victory for the Wanderers by 1 goal to nil. Teams; Everton; Joliffe, goal; Dobson and Dick, backs; Higgins, Gibson and Murray, half-backs; Izatt, Watson, Goudie, Farmer, and Cassidy, forwards. Wanderers; Unsworth, goal; Parkinson, and McKiernan, backs; Bullough, Steel, and Roberts, half-backs; Brogan, Davenport, Struthers, Owen and Howarth, forwards. Referee Mr. S. Ormrod.

Bolton Wanderers v Everton
October 17 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
The match from the above teams was played on Saturday. So much interest was manifested in this contest that the Lancashire and Yorkshire decided on running a special train, which was well patronised, and 600 or 700 of the Everton supporters were thus carried to the scene of operations where 4,000 spectators witnessed the game. The Wanderers won the toss, and placed Everton with their faces towards the sun, which shone so brilliantly that it must have been very trying to the players. Struthers soon had a shot, which went wide of the mark. Goudie replied with a smart dribble. Parkinson interposed, but Everton returned to the charge, their efforts being frustrated by McKernan and Steel. Cassidy at length got pass, and shot just over the bar. Hands against Everton changed the scene. Davenport shot well in, and Dobson headed back. Roberts met the ball and returned with great precision, but Jolliffe hit out splendidly. Murray was now cheered for his clever tackling of Brogan, and giving the ball to Izzatt, who got away and passed to Watson, the latter to Higgins, who sent in a fast shot, Unsworth being obliged to concede a corner. Nothing came of it, and several good combined efforts on the part of Everton were neutralised by the referee allowing the Wanderers numerous free kicks for alleged unfair throwing-in of the ball from touch by the visitors. Farmer next raced away and sent to Izzat, who just sent the ball outside. Goudie missed what appeared to be a very fair chance, and then the Wanderers bore down on Everton in a most determined manner. Shots rained in from all sides, but were accounted for in such a masterly manner by Jolliffe that he received an enthusiastic cheer. By a superb effort the visitors' back division broke through. Goudie shot in the ball, which struck the post and appeared to be glancing through when Unsworth hit out. Watson followed this by a beauty, which caused another corner to be conceded. That the Wanderers replied, and Howarth, who had been lying offside, sent the leather past Jolliffe, but the point was promptly disallowed. Everton spurted up, and it was their turn to be penalised, Cassidy being adjudged offside, when he defeated Unsworth. Half-time arrived with a clean score sheet. The teams crossed over, and Struthers restarted. Play again ruled fast and exciting. Dick lugged at a fast shot, but the ball went straight up over his head. As it dropped Dobson headed a short way out, but Roberts lifted the ball back just over their heads and out of Joliffe's reach, and thus scored the only point in the match. The Wanderers now began to play a very rough game. Steel was penalised for fooly charging Izzatt when the latter was in a favourable position to shoot, and later on Davenport met the same fate for an unwarrantable attack on Murray and Dick. Cheered on by their partisans, each side worked desperately hard, but time was reached without any further score. Teams; - Bolton Wanderers; - Unsworth goal; McKenna, and Parkinson, backs; Roberts, Bullough, and Steel, half-backs; Owen, Howarth, Struthers, Brogan, and Davenport, forwards. Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson, and Murray half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Goudie, Watson, and Izzatt, forwards.

October 22 nd 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton having have drawn against the Bolton Wanderers in the first round of the English Cup, which had to be played at Bolton on Saturday last, mustered their forces, which between players and friends totted up to the respectable figure of something like 700, and made their way to Pike's lane. The game itself was one worth travelling to see, and it is no exaggeration to say it was the match par excellence in the first round of the National Cup. There are hardly a man amongst the spectators who was not perfectly satisfied in his own mind that the actual finish should have been a draw, as there could be no doubt about a shot which Goudie put in during the first half of the game. The ball struck the inside of the post, and glanced inwards, and it must have been at least two feet through when Unsworth hit it out. Goudie hit it out. Goudie claimed, but the claim was not sustained by the Everton empire, and was probably lost through this. The Wanderers were accordingly accredited with the victory by the narrow majority of one to love. This result was mainly due to a lofty kick by Dick, which enabled the Trotters to rush in and just land the ball out of Jolliffe's reach. Talking of Jolliffe by the bye, his goal keeping was a feature of Saturday's match. Dobson, was all about saving his goal many times when its downfall seemed inevitable. Gibson, Murray, and Higgins put in all they knew at half-back. The forwards did not come up to the standard they are capable of; they worked well together, but lacked dash when it was most required. The Wanderers showed a wonderful improvement since I last saw them at Bootle. Their play put me in mind of their best days I did not like their system of playing the man, especially in charging from behind, and the Davenport incident was a most regrettable occurrence, which has not been correctly reported. The facts were as follow, Murray cleared the ball away, and, finding he was failed, Davenport ran at Murray and deliberately kicked him. Dick rushed up to take his comrades part and Davenport, turning sharply round, went over Dick's leg; he them jumped up and struck Dick. Surely this was a case in which the referee should have put down his foot. Rumours are afloat that Everton have made a successful protest, and the tie is to be replayed. Under the circumstances the match could not come off today, as the Everton's enclosure will be occupied by Lancashire and Dumbartonshire, according to prior arrangements.

The proverbial pike lane protest.
Football Fields
October 22 nd 1887
Everton Toffee!
By (“ The Grumbler.”)
When a great National Cup tie's to be won, to be won, A referee's lot is not a happy one!
For which very clumsy parody on Gilbert's funniosity I hold last Saturday's match at Pike-lane entirely responsible. Sam Ormrod got so thin and careworn during the progress of the struggle that I was almost tempted to weigh him for drinks. After he had weighted in a saddle tea, however, I weighted the matter over in my mind, and concluded that any undue rashness on my part would result in weighting out of the skekels. As I endeavored in the course of a full column devoted to the game last Saturday to give some idea of its progress I don't intend to waste ink and paper over the job now. The first round in the English Cup competition of 1887-8 will live long in the memory of the Wanderers' supporters for several reasons, amongst others for the fine game it produced, the plucky determination of the Evertonians and the friends who accompanied them, the number of fine points raised during the game, the trio of disallowed goals, the action of the Wanderers' umpire with respect to one of them, the all-round excitement, the close finish, and the subsequent protest. Surely all this is enough to justify the attendance of some 5,000 spectators! Prior to the start I was confidently advised (by a Liverpoolian) that it was a good thing for Everton, that I must “get on” and back George Dobson's boys to win a “pile.” I passed the tip on to “Leathers,” who, however, looks with a suspicious eye on every form of bipid sport since a recent swindling –I mean swimming –match, but who, I afterwards discovered had put a stray dollar on the Wanderers. For once he was right, but the folly of such reckless gambling was simply demonstrated by the barefaced manner in which the Wanderers' umpire strove to make him lose that bet! “Off-side,” said the official, when brogan dashed the ball through after Joliffe had thrown it out. Then “Leathers” rose in his wrath and waded out of court shipwreck at the Gilbraltar Rock.

Noise and knocks.
Had the game been played at Everton I'm firmly convinced the Wanderers would have lost; they would have been shouted out of it. Don't talk to me again about the noisy Bolton crowd! The odd 500 from the Mersey city made a bigger rumpus than all the remaining units that went to constitute the 5,000 present put together. The game was one of the “ammer' ammer' ammer on the ‘ard ‘igh road” type throughout. It was sharp practice for the eyes dodging the ball from end to end, and yet the men didn't seem to tire. When a game is fast it generally has some semblance of roughness, and here we seemed to realise something of the promise that “the mountains shall skip like rams.” “Dagonet” was great on the horrors of football in the Referce the other day, as against which he says “glove fighting seems to me a very harmless and innocent amusement. To be kicked to death at football is a mere matter of detail.” Just so; Sims as if he knew all about it –not much! But there certainly is some justification for the harsh criticisms passed by ignorant outsiders on the game when we witness the callousness with which the suffering s of the injured are sometimes regards. For instance, on Saturday, towards the finish, when Davenport was writhing in pain on the ground as the result of a severe charge “below the belt,” some of the noble sportsmen (?) around brutally shouted “Get on with the game; he's only wasting time!” Needless to say they were not Bolton voices. The home team played a winning game all through, and but for the brilliant efforts of the Joliffelow in goal the score would have been heavier against Everton. At the same time the shooting was very middling considering the grand opportunities offered.

A plague on your protesting
With all their revising and patching The Associations are not a great success as law-makers. Pseudo-amateurism, that is the amateurism which is not governed by straightforward dealing, is harder to deal with than out and out professionalism. Here we have the anomaly on Saturday of some of the visiting team playing in Bolton when they confidently expected to turn up to assist another club in a similar encounter at home. Of course, they were quite within their rights; it is competent for more than one club to register the same players –if they are amateurs1 but surely there should be some code, if only that of honour, which should step in to prevent such unneighbourly action. Then again we have the vexatious disqualification of the victors, on account of the delayed registering of Struthers –which will necessitate the replaying of the game. At the same time I am told that an objection would lie equally against some of the Everton contingent. This is ridiculous fooling, calculated to bring contempt both upon the game and its legislator.

The sport of fate
Mr. Fitzroy Norris seems to be a most unfortunate individual. He is always in trouble over some real or imaginary error of judgement. And yet no more zealous official ever stepped on the field. A great deal of bitterness was ungenendered on Saturday over the second goal disallowed to the Wanderers. There was a bit of a scrimmage in front, and some one –I believe Owen –tried a shot. Joliffe caught it low down and threw out. He had not cleared the danger, however, and Brogan with his well-known dash returned to the attack, and Joliffe was beaten. There was an appeal, a momentary consultation between the umpires and referee, and the point was disallowed. Why? Nobody knew. I appealed to my colleagues on the stand; they were dumbfounded, and in the absence of enlightening intelligence I felt inclined to write the referee down as ass. The explanation came in due course; the goal was disallowed for off-side, claimed by the Liverpool umpire for his team, and conceded by the Bolton umpire, acting according to the dictates of his “conscience.” In these circumstances the referee had no voice in the matter, although, as Mr. Sam Ormrod afterwards said, he quite prepared to give a goal, which he believed to have been most fairly obtained. Certainly I have heard another explanation given –that the off-side appeal was made against Owen, who made the shot which Joliffe stopped. All I can say is if that were so it came late in the day, as there was no semblance of an appeal until after the goal was scored. The previous point get by Howarth was off-side right enough, though it had not that appearance before it was looked into “P” was at that particular time in the centre well up the field, when he suddenly got possession dribbled down rapidly and shot; a very pretty bit of play. Unfortunately, however, the backs were lying up further off the goal even than Howarth, and the referee had his “heagle heye” on the fact. There could also be no question about the goal disallowed to Everton. Altogether, though the game was exciting though the Wanderers showed something like their best form, and though Everton deserved every credit for making one the most determined fights ever witnessed at Pike-lane, there is a sense of dissatisfaction in ruminating over a match which was marred by so many disputes, and which was not allowed to rest even after its termination without a humbugging protest. The Davenport-Dick incident has been variously commented upon, one writer even going so far as to advocate the banishment of the prime offender. The affair merits no such harsh treatment, and I hope the Association won't blunder into the error if the case comes before them. We are over-legislated enough already, without a resort to the penal code.

“Micky Free's views of the match.
Philosophic Reflections.
Well, sir, I think I predicted in the last line of my last letter that Everton had a stiff job on hand at Pike's-lane, and, begorrah, so it proved, and as their best efforts failed to turn the tables on the trotters faix it behoves me to try and find some good and sufficient reason for such an unlooked for contingency. “Unlooked for” may at first seem rather a tall way of putting it, but when it is considered that the Wanderers up to Saturday had not shown anything above second rate form, and Everton are supposed to be stronger than they were when they walloped the Wanderers last season, it was not by any means too much to expect Everton to win, and this leads one to think that had they only taken the same precautions (?) as their opponents in undergoing a careful preparation the result might have been otherwise. The Wanderers, I am told, had no less than three practice matches during the week besides their ordinary training, whilst the Evertonians did next to nothing. One of the players who had been out of town travelled all night to be in time, and a new man was tried on the right. I do not think that is his proper place, and consequently he could hardly be considered an improvement on Briscoe. Nevertheless with these drawbacks there was very little in it either way, as the result of one to nil proved, and had Everton had the luck of possessing an umpire like Fitzroy Norris I have little hesitation in saying that the game would have been a drawn one.

Umpires and Referees
I do not like to be everlastingly down on officials who hold onerous positions, especially the umpire, as his services are given graits, but had the Everton umpire attempted to sustain the claim made by Goudie in the first half there can scarcely be a doubt as to what the result must have been. The claim was not made, therefore we do not know what the opinion of Mr. Ormrod was. The circumstance was this, Goudie shot, the ball struck the inside of the post and it was glancing through Unsworth leant back and hit it out. I made careful enquires from those of the spectators who were behind and in line with the goal, with the result that the only question was as to whether the ball came a foot or two feet under before it was cleared. My conscience pricks me less in drawing a referee over the coals, when it appears to me to be necessary for the simple reason that he is a well-paid official and therefore has less reason to grumble. I should be sorry to suggest that a referee ought, even if he felt so inclined, to fall into the error of trying to please everyone, which would inevitably end like the humanitarian pictured in Esop's fable. No, no. On the contrary, he should administer justice after the fashion which we are reminded of by the symbolical figure usually planted over the court house doors. In fact, a referee's motto should be Fiat justitia ruat ecelum . But, sir, may I ask any disinterested spectators if such a being could be found on Saturday last? Did Everton receive justice? Why. Sir, the number of free kicks awarded to Bolton were legion, given, too, upon the most frivolous and filmsy pretexts. If a man threw the ball in from touch and his hands in passing over his head inclined a degree or two to the right or left from the true perpendicular, the whistle was sounded, and Everton mulcted in a free kick. It was simply absurd. Now Roberts can throw in with advantage, and frequently did so, sending the ball almost into the centre of the field, and the whistle was silent, although it is manifest to most people that he could not possibly do so without infringing Rule 5, which states that the ball must be held above the head etc, Roberts swings it right up from off his shoulder blade.

The players.
Now, sir, I've got rid of some bile and I will conclude with a few remarks about the players generally. It was Jolliffe's day out, his play being superb, fully bearing out my remarks of a few weeks ago. Dobson was exceptionally good, but just a few times he looked like getting too far up. Dick assisted him well, but this player has of late developed a tendency to sky the balls when kicking, and it was one of these kicks, which brought about the downfall of the Everton fortress. The halves worked well, but the forwards, with a couple of exceptions, showed a lack of dash. There was nothing of that fire which the old team of last season displayed on many occasions, notably in the matches against South Shone and the Wanderers, when the Evertonians romped away with the games. I noticed one player many times stop the ball in such a manner that it rebounded so far back, that before he could again reach it one of the Wanderers had possession. It ought to be stopped dead, ready either to be dribbled or passed to another player. McKernan and Parkinson defended well. The halves were good, Roberts being very judicious in his kicking, but not quite so much so in the use of his weight, which is not of the feather type. The forwards worked well together, and showed to greater advantage when concentrating on the goal, upon which, when they had a chance, they dashed with great vigour –this being the very point where Everton was weakest. Better luck next time.

Liverpool Football
Going over to the Enemy
Bootle and Everton have long been at open feud, and their relations are now of a most embittered character. It was announced in all the Liverpool journals that the Bootle team would include two players –Izzatt and Weir –last Saturday in the Cup-tie against Workington. The personnel of the Everton side in the tie with the Wanderers at Bolton was kept a profound secret until their appearance at Pike's-lane. These two facts, taken in conjunction would appear to indicate that the secession of Weir and Izzatt was effected in a manner such as to call forth the reprobation of all fair-dealing men. The question of the cause is not for us to discuss. The players are amateurs, and can carry their services to the most congenial quarters. But I do not think that such action as theirs, in leaving their late club to commence an important Cup tie short-handed, can be too strongly charaterised, no noticed whatever of their intention having been conveyed to the Bootle authorities, whilst it would appear as if every possible means were adopted to keep them in ignorance of the fact. As to the event itself, no surprise whatever has been felt at the action of Izzatt, who has long been intractable, and Bootle have little cause to feel aggrieved at the loss of Weir. This Scotch amateur has now been in the Liverpool district some two months, and has passed through the ranks of the three leading clubs. He will be a distinct gain to Everton, but it is very improbable that Izzatt will long retain a position in the Anfield-road eleven, and he has evidently only been accepted as an inseparable of Weir.

October 31, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
English Cup Tie
In fine weather, about 8,000 spectators gathered on the Anfield ground to witness this undecided tie in the first round of the English Cup, and speculation ran high as to which team would win. Both teams were the game as played at Bolton a fortnight ago, with the exception of Struthers whose place was taken by Owen. Punctually to time, Goudie kicked off against the wind and sun. The Wanderers ran up, and Dick kicked out. From the throw in, Watson and Izatt ran the ball down, Parkinson interposed, and Dick gave a corner, but the ball was got away. Soon afterwards Roberts from a long shot, sent the ball through the upright. A dispute took place, the Everton umpire claiming that the ball did not go through, but he referee ultimately gave it a goal. Nothing daunted, the Everton forwards again rushed down the field. The ball, however, was returned and Steel sent in a hard shot, which Joliffe cleverly saved. Hands against Izatt, and then Farmer made a grand run down the left. A corner only was conceded, from which Higgins kicked over the bar –a nice chance missed. The Wanderers again had a grand concerned run up the field, but Dick spoiled them of their chance by returning the ball. Watson had a nice run, but the Wanderers' back cleared. Brogan made an attempt at goal, and then Farmer ran down the left, passed the ball to the right wing, and Izatt kicked over. Farmer here had a hard shot at goal, which Unsworth stopped. By a combined rush of the Everton forwards, Watson equalised with a beauty, amidst the ringing cheers of the home supporters. The game up to now had been of a give and take nature, and both sides missed chances of scoring. From the kick off, Owen showed some fine tactics. Everton eventually got a corner, but the ball was soon up the field again, and Steel sent a hard shot over the bar. The home team again pressed, the pressure being only relieved by Higgins kicking over. Roberts here distingiabed himself, and hands was given against Everton. Following the free kick, Joliffe was called upon to fist out a number of shots, Steel made another try for goal, and then Parkinson made another try for goal, and then Parkinson had to kick out to save. A foul throw in against the visitors, and Izatt bringing the ball down the right, passed it to the left, but Cassidy shot wide. Steel and Owen were playing well when half-time arrived, with the score 1 goal each. On re-starting, Watson quickly took the ball up the field, and missed a chance through falling. Again the Wanderers were at the home goal, and McKernan just missed scoring. Joliffe was called upon twice to save; and Dick kicked the ball right over the homesters. From the throw in the ball was passed to Brogan, who shot for goal, and the ball was rushed through the posts –making goal No 2 for the Wanderers. The visitors again became aggressive until Murray passed to Goudie, who tried for goal, but Unsworth saved. The ball continued to travel up and down the field in quick fashion, and then Davenport and Brogan got in a nice bit of short passing, but Dobson compelled “Kenny” to run the ball out. Farmer made another run up the field, and became dangerous McKernan just clearing in time. Foul in front of goal, and then a corner fell to Weston, nothing resulting. The home captain here got kicked on the leg, and play was stepped. On recommencing Brogan became conspicuous, and then Watson sent the ball over the bar. Just on the call of time a corner conceded to Everton, and, the ball being well place, Everton equalised, amidst the greatest enthusiasm ever witnessed on the Anfield ground. A consultation took place with the result that an extra half-hour had to be played. Resuming, the Everton players never gave the Wanderers a look in, shot after shot being poured in, in quick succession for Unsworth to save. As the Wanderers were being pressed, McKernan came in for a great deal of unpleasant comment through kicking the ball out of play every time he had a chance. Try as they would, the Evertonians could not score, and one of the hardest fought games witnessed on the Everton ground resulted in a draw of two goals each. Teams;- Everton; Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captains), backs; Higgins, Gibson and Murray, half-backs; Izatt, Watson, Goudie, Farmer, and Cassidy, forwards. Wanderers;- Unsworth, goal; McKernan and Parkinson, backs; Sellough, W. Parkinson and Roberts, half-backs; Davenport, Brogan, Steel, Owen and Howarth, forwards.

Football Notes
After struggling in the forenoon, the sun came out brightly during the short afternoon, and the Anfield enclosure with its assembly of seven or eight thousand, presented a very animated aspect. As everyone now knows, the match –a tie in the first round of the National Cup competition –was directed to be re-played, owing to Stuther's disqualification. With commendable punctuality the Wanderers led the way, and received an appreciative cheer. Their team was the same as beat Everton a fortnight since, with the exception, of course, of Struthers, whose place was filled by Owen. Everton –the exact team that went to Pike's lane –soon followed their rivals on to the field, and had an especial reception. The visitors were the first to score, from a long shot by Roberts but Everton retaliated with a sustained assault, culminating in Watson equalising matters. The second half, in the amount of scoring, was a repetition of the first, and so, on the expiration of the regulation two 45's, an extra half hour, through the light proved wretched, was tried. Nothing resulted from the thirty minutes' play –in fact, it was evident by the number of kicks out by the Wanderers that there was no desire to bring about a decisive issue –and a game of great determination remains once drawn. A protest has been made against the first goal given to the Wanderers, and if Everton are lucky in getting the verdict, they will have to take on Preston North End.

Everton v Bolton Wanderers
October 31 st 188. The Liverpool Daily Post
The meeting of these clubs –Everton in the undecided tie for the English Cup created an interest inferior only to that, which may be expected when Bootle and Everton met in the next round of our Liverpool Cup. The weather was all that could be desirable, between 7,000 or 8,000 spectators were presence. Both sides played in a most beautifully, Everton, Started his claim properly, nothing more dangerous than a corner kick would have resulted. But we have not yet heard the last of this. Dobson was out of sorts. Dick on the contrary, was in fine form. Gibson was the best man on the field, and never flagged for a moment. The forwards at intervals showed that what they were capable of if they kept just a wee bit cooler. We have heard cheers at many matches, but at many matches, but anything approaching the shout which rent the air on Saturday when, just on the last minute, Farmer made the score level from a corner kick we have never heard before. The Wanderers were again fortunate in winning the toss, and placed Everton, as on the last occasion, facing the sun and wind, and at three o'clock prompt Goudie kicked off Izatt and Watson made a first demonstration. Izatt shot, but McKeroan replied. A foul against Bolton followed, Howarth and Owen got clear, Gibson repelled, and then Brogan looked dangerous, but again Gibson was to the fore Roberts, however, got the ball, and tried a long flyer. Jolliffe caught and threw out, but as the ball was going out to the left it struck the upright and bounced into play, and was then kicked behind. After some debating Mr. Gregson allowed the goal. Everton now played up better. A corner followed a fine shot by Farmer, then Gibson kicked too high. A pretty run by Cassidy, farmer, and Goudie and Unsworth again had to use his hands, Watson deprived Roberts rather smartly, Gibson dropped the leather to Izzat, but the latter headed the wrong side. Farmer next sent in a terrific shot, which was accidentally saved by McKnnan. Had he not been in the way a goal would have been inevitable. After a few long exchanges Gibson called on Unsworth, and Dick stopped a dangerous one from Owen. Then Goudie fastened on the leather. Farmer and Watson joining him in a grand run, and at the right moment Watson rattled the leather past Unsworth and loud cheers. Soon after restarting, Jolliffe was loudly applauded for a bit of fine goalkeeping when Davenport and Steel in quick succession sent in awkward shots. Everton again became the assailants, Murray sent in a well-directed long shot, but there was no one up to assist the leather through. McKernan cleared but Latt, getting possession, screwed right across the goalmouth, Cassidy making a very poor attempt to screw in. half-time was reached with the score still level. The teams appeared to enjoy the short respite, at the pace had been very warm. Steel restarted, and to the general surprise the Wanderers appeared to be getting the upper hand. They were passing better and playing a better game generally than the home team. Brogan made a good centre, but Steel headed wide. Jolliffe next saved one from Steel, and Dick cleared a warm one from Brogan. A little later Owen shot hard, but Dick kicked the ball over the top of the houses into the street. Roberts next, troubled Jolliffe and then a smart bit of play by Brogan ended in that player defeating Jolliffe, and thus again gaining a lead. The hopes of the Evertonians seemed to be waxing faint. Izzatt was grassed by Roberts just as he was sailing up in fine style. A scrimmage in Everton goal and the Wanderers claim a goal. This was disallowed as one of their players had previously fouled the ball. Higgins now put in a beauty, the ball struck the bar, and bounded into touch. Watson also repeated the performance, this time the ball fell back into play, and Farmer just headed over, Watson now made a fine run, and passed to Izzatt, he to Goudie, who shot in, but Unsworth cleared. At length when time had almost been reached, Watson and Izzatt got up, Parkinson gave a corner. The veteran Mike placed the ball beautifully, and by a superhuman effort, Farmer sprang up and headed the ball under the bar thus equalising. The scene, which followed, was worth being there to see. Although the light was fading so fast that it seemed doubtful policy to play extra time, this course was decided on and, the umpire for Everton having been changed, the game was once more started, but although play wared even warmer than before neither side were able to score up to the call of time, the game thus remaining drawn. Teams; - Everton; - Jolliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson and Murray, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Goudie, Watson, and Izzatt, forwards. Bolton Wanderers; - Unsworth, goal; McKaran, and Parkinson, backs; Sellough, W. Parkinson and Roberts, half-backs; Davenport, Brogan, Steel, Owen and Howarth, forwards.