September 1887

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 30 July 1887
That Archie Goodall, who played with Liverpool, Stanley, and Everton last year, can play either half-back or forward. 

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 04 August 1888
That Jack Ross will not play for North End again; that "this is a fact, as he has been granted his discharge by their North End, and has gone over to Everton; that the grievance is that Jack has not been set up in business," as promised when he left Edinburgh; that if he has not had this promise fulfilled he has had a "right good wage;" that on all hands sorrow is expressed that Jack should have made up his mind to take the steps he has, but it is equally generally added that the committee cannot be expected to let the players get the upper hand and do just as they please; that without doubt Ross will find out that he will not be treated as well at Everton as he has been at Deepdale; that not a few declare that he will not stick to his intention to leave North End; that Jack is, however, fully determined in the course he has taken, and says that before he will again appear in the ranks of the North End he will return to Scotland. 

Everton v St Oswalds Chester
August 15 th 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
St Oswald's opened their season on Saturday with a match against Everton, who were well represented. The saints' team had been considerable improved, and great interest was manifested in the encounter. Over 2,000 spectators were present in spite of the inclement state of the weather. The visitors winning the toss, elected to play down hill, and after about two minutes play scored. Gibson shooting from half-back, and Walker, the home back heading the ball through in attempting to save. The Saints then pressed, for a time, but the Everton right wing got the upper hand, and again scored amidst cheers from the Liverpool spectators. Soon after the game had restarted pressed uphill, and from a combined rush on the part of the forwards, in which Rixton, T. Fleming and Reid shone, the home team scored. As stood two to one in favour of Everton –the game stood until half time. In the second half the home team played up, and a fast game was experienced. With the slope in their favour Sanints pressed severely at times, and Joliffe was called upon to fist out on many occasions. He kept the charge brilliantly, but was beaten by Lunt, who equalised matters two minutes after the second half had commenced. Within three minutes the Saints again beat the vistiors' backs and goalkeeper, the excitement amongst the home spectators being intense. The Everton men played with renewed vigour, and a fast finish ensued. The visitors pressed up hill, and scored within ten minutes of call of time, and matters were again equalised. The Saints and the visitors now put in all they knew to secure the winning points, and after Everton's charge had been in danger for some minutes the home forwards broke away, and T. Fleming scored from a long kick, amid great cheering, when the whistle blew' the score was at Oswald's 4 goals; Everton 3. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dobson (captain), and Hughes, backs; Jones, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Fleming, Corrie, Briscoe, Farmer, and Gourley, forwards. St Oswald's; - Everitt, goal; Thompson (captain) and Walker, backs; Hughes, Bainman, and Bebbington half-backs; Lunt, McNeal, Rixton, T. Fleming, and Reid, forwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 18 August 1888
That Jack Ross packed up his traps and left the Proud Town last Monday, and on Tuesday took up his residence near the Everton football ground; that he played his first practice game on Wednesday night, fully 4,000 spectators turning out to see the “champion back of the world” disport himself; that Jack does not as yet feel thoroughly at home, but intends to make himself so; that there is not one of the North End ex-skipper’s Preston friends but who wish him joy with his new lover, but many of them are afraid he will soon find cause to regret his change; that Jack has promised to do wonderful things when he meets the North End up there are those in Preston who are willing to take odds that he does not play against the North End at all; that Jack is to be captain of the Everton boat, and says he can steer it to victory, as he did the North End craft; that one who knows say that Ross is to be played centre forward as often as anywhere else; that if this is true, there can be no doubt that Mr. Sudell’s prophesy “that Ross had made his tame at Preston and would bury it at Everton, will come true sooner than the “Ross” anticipated.  That before leaving Preston, Ross stated that his reason for leaving was that he had not received his money regularly, and this having come to Mr. Sudell’s knowledge, he has written to Ross for his denial of the statement; that Ross never missed getting his money regularly, winter and summer, except the week previous to his strong language to Mr. Sudell; that this is proved by the fact that the Everton club have signed a cheque for  £ 17 10s, in repayment of Ross’s wages since the game he played in against Renton for the Championship of the World –a period of seven weeks.  That Ross has not yet received his formal discharge from the North End, but will do in due course; that N.J’s better-half did not relish the idea of going to Liverpool to reside; that Jack was, however, bent on going, as life in Preston was “too slow: for him; that the question has frequently been asked –Where did Ross enjoy any “life” except on the North End football ground, kicking the ball, or at home? 

Everton v South Shone
August 22 nd 1887. The Liverpool Mercury.
Played at Anfield, before 3,000 spectators. During the first half of the game South Shone scored two goals (Shape and Hackling to nothing). Afterwards play was a very even character, and Watson scored the only point for Everton, who were thus beaten by two goals to one. Everton, who played several new men, wanted more practice, though they did most of the pressing.
Everton team had been strengthened by the acquisition of five new players viz- Cassidy and Murray (Motherwell), Watson (Glasgow Thistle), Lewis (Church Everton), and Taylor (Blackburn Olympic)
Everton; - Taylor, goal; Dick and Lewis, backs; Murray, Dobson (captain) and Higgins, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Watson and Fleming, forwards. Further accommodation has been provided for spectators by the services of a large wooden inclined platform at the Oakfield road end of the ground. Capable of holding considerably over 1,000 spectators. Murray at half-back proved himself worthy of a place in the Everton team, and Cassidy playing on the left wing with Farmer and Watson on the opposite wing played very pretty all through. The visitors defence was admirable, and Langley at goal by his magnificent play, undoubtedly saved the match.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 August 1888
That Jack Ross has not yet got permission to play with the Everton team; that since he departure from Preston it has been pointed out to the Everton committee that the permission will have come from the Council of the Football Association; that one of the rules of the Football Association says that no player shall sign a second registration paper in one season without the consent of the Council; that Ross has done this, and may be called upon for an explanation; that the Everton committee and Ross may, however, rely upon the North End committee and officials putting no obstacles in "old Nick's" way -in fact, they will do all in their power to secure to him the transfer.
That Bob Smalley is in great request at the present time; that prior to last Sunday he had partly given his word to play for the North End, but on that day a couple of Evertonians visited Preston in disguise, and, in an interview with Bob, made him a magnificent offer; that Bob will be foolish if he leaves the North End, as inclusion in their ranks opens the door to football fame -when successful-while inclusion in the Everton team means maintence only of the reputation already achieved; that even if Bob does play for Everton in ordinary matches, he will do duty under the North End flag in Cup-ties, as he thinks that the more local talent there is engaged in pot hunting, the greater likelihood there is of success. 

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 August 1888
R. Smalley, who last season kept goal for Everton is somewhat unsettled as to with whom to throw in his lot during the ensuing season.  Everton are after him and though the North End will not make a fuss about him, they would like to have him attached to Deepdale.  He has made his name in the Everton ranks, and it is not to be wondered at if he has a liking for the "Toffy-men."  Still, he should weigh well the advantage to be rained by connection with the North End over Everton.  He is a good custodian and a connection with a club of influence like the North End is much more likely to bring promotion than Everton.  Bob is to make his selection today, and it is sincerely to be hoped he will choose wisely. 

Everton v Witton
August 29 th 1887. The Liverpool Mercury.
Played at Anfield on Saturday, before 6,000 spectators. Witton started and during the first half of the game had much the best of the play. Horsefield (two) and Almond scored for Witton, and Watson for Everton. Afterwards, Porter and Harasnape notched a couple of points for the visitors, and Everton also scored two Dobson and Cassidy, Witton were left the winners by five goals to three. Teams; - Witton; - Sharples goal; Smith and Shorrock, backs; Whiteside, Almond, and Fletcher, half-backs; Haresnape, Grimshaw, Horsefield, Chew, and Porter, forwards. Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dobson (captain), and Dick, backs; Murray, Gibson, and Higgins, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Briscoe, and Fleming, forwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 September 1888
That Everton has secured the services of another man who had given his word to appear in the North End ranks -R.E. Smalley; that the bargain, for bargain it was, between Smalley and the Everton committee was struck last Saturday afternoon at Everton, the Prestonian making a special journey to "fix the matter" that the rumour that Smalley has turned pro, is without foundation, for in a telegram to the Lancashire Evening Post last Saturday he said he would play for "Everton ordinary and league fixtures, probably North End cup ties,"  that if he had signed a professional form he would not have been able to say, "probably North end cup-ties;"  that Bob has, like Jack Ross, made a mistake from which he alone will be the sufferer; that in Preston those who know most about the cost of football teams are at a loss to know how Everton are going to keep faith with all the players they have made arrangements with; that last year they had a deficiency on the year's working, when the football fever was at its heights; that if this was so, how will they manage to play the additional players they have obtained?  that, so far, Jack Ross has not got the business he went to Everton for, and if all that is reported be true he is not likely for getting it; that at the present time he is living in a private house close to the football ground, and is enjoying the faster life he went in search of much as at Preston -practicing; that if he is to play centre forward he will require a lot of practice, if he is not to turn out a "frost." 
Archie Goodall who was said to have signed for Derby County, is still a free man, and can play for nay team he chooses that today he is filling the centre half back position in the North End ranks.


September 3, 1887. The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser
On Saturday afternoon the Everton Football Club were favoured with a visit from Mexican Joe and his troupe. The Americans were driven (under the guidance of Mr. Ramsey) to the ground of the club. Anfield, in their “Tombstone Carriage,” and received a hearty welcome from the large number of people who assembled. A very interesting game of football was being played between members of Witton and Everton clubs. The features of the game were pointed out to the Americans, who appeared deeply interested in it. They seemed to think there was plenty of scope for its cultivation in American. Possibly if they return to their frontier life they may teach the young braves of the Wild West to play football; and the Uncas of the future may become as proficient in the “kicking game” as their forefathers were with the rifle.

Everton v Bury
September 5 th 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
This match took place on the Everton ground in the presence of about 3,000 spectators. It was a very one-sided affair all through, Everton doing pretty much as they liked. At 5-15 Bury kicked off against the wind. Everton immediately pressed, and after some rather poor play on both sides –Gibson scored with a low swift shot. Fleming now distinguishing himself by some fine play, his screwing in being very good, through nothing came from his efforts. Bury broke away, but Dobson, by some dashing work, again brought the ball into the visitors' quarters the downfall of whose goal was nearly brought about by a good shot from Fleming. A grand dribble of the Everton forwards resulted in the second goal being kicked, Watson doing the needful. Shots rained thick and fast for the next 20 minutes on the Bury fortress, Wright playing very smartly. Dick then kicked the third goal. A fourth was got immediately after, the forwards rushing the ball through. The visitors were now laterality trenched in and at this juncture one of the visitors full backs went in goal. Fleming's screw shot brought down great applause, and after this the Bury goal had narrow escapes. At last Goodie got the ball, and, with a daisy cutter lessened the visitors' colours for the fifth goal. The weakness of the Bury backs, Everton were now very apparent and their efforts to stay the rushes of the home forwards were futile. At half-time the game stood Everton 5 goals; Bury 0. On resuming play, Everton pressed, and Farmer sent in a beautiful shot, which struck the crossbar, but Fleming was in wait and his headed and scored the sixth goal. The visitor's custodian was next floored at stopping a good attempt on the part of Fleming. Directly afterwards Murray kicked the ball into the Bury goal mouth and the forwards rushed it through, scoring the seventh goal. The visitor's forwards broke away, but Dick, Dobson, and Gibson were too much for them. A word must be said, however, for the pluck of the Bury forwards, if not for their play. They worked hard, but were outclassed. A terrific scrimmage in the vicinity of the visitors' goal raised the excitement of the spectators to the highest pitch, and well it might, when on more than one occasion the ball might easily have been sent through the goal, but for some reason or other the Everton forwards could not kick it. The applause of the spectators was frequently given to the Bury goalkeeper, who was playing a rattling game. He stopped a hot shot from Cassidy. But Goodie beat him with a beauty, scoring the eight goal. Bury defence was very good at this point, but Higgins sent in one just out of the custodian's reach, and notched the ninth goal. Farmer here made a good attempt at scoring and then time was called, Everton being the winners of a one-sided game by 9 goals to nil. Teams; - Bury; - Goal, Wright; Backs, Rossand, and Gibent; half-backs, Wright Clark, and Malpas; forwards, Haworth, Les, Douglas, Pollack, and Hutchins. Everton; - Goal, Jolliffe; backs, Dick and Dobson (captain); half-backs, Higgins, Gibson and Murray; forwards, Cassidy, Farmer, Goodie, Watson and Fleming, forwards.

Football notes.
September 10 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
Those who have not yet visited the Everton ground since last season cannot help being struck by the great changes for the better, both for the players and for the accommodation of the public. The field, which previously was very uneven, has been dug up and levelled. The railings at both goals each have been boarded to prevent crowding on the touchline. The low ground on the stand side has been raised, and last, but not least, a magnificent gallery erected, which will afford ample accommodation for the patrons of the Everton Football club to witness the game in comparative comfort. The opening matches of the season resulted disastrously to the Evertonians. Upon one occasion the faulty lay chiefly in the faulty shooting at goal, and the next there is no disguising the fact that the match was lost entirely through bad goalkeeping. Since, then however, the morale of the team has undergone a change, and the game against Bury last Saturday augurs well to the coming season upon which we are entering. The last addition to the team seems to be a most judicious one.

Everton V. Darwen
September 12, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
This match took place on the Anfield-road ground in the presence of about 5,000 spectators. Both teams were well represented. The ground as in good condition, but good play was spoiled by a strong gusty wind, which blew diagonally across the ground. The visitors arrived late and play was commenced at five o'clock, an hour after the advertised time. Thompson kicked off for Darwen with the wind against them. The Everton forwards got the ball, and good dribble resulted in Watson shooting wide. They resumed the attack, but some good kicking on J. Marsden's part retrieved the pressure. Cassidy now earned applause by sending in a nice shot, but the ball was kicked out, and two corners fell in succession to Everton. Goudie here distinguished himself with a shot which just skimmed the bar, and then heading the ball just- over a narrow shave. The Everton forwards dribbed in grand style, notably Macpherson and Watson but their efforts to send the ball through the Darwen goals were futile. Many times the ball was emotionless for a few seconds a short distance in front of the visitors' fortress, but luck was against Everton and they could not score. Everton were pressing now very much but the monotony was somewhat relieved when the Darwen forwards broke away, and caused Joliffe to throw out. Holden now saved some good attempts by Farmer and Goudie, and at this juncture a Darwen forward was hurt, and had to leave the field. This had a great effect on the visitors front division, as they played very disjoint for the rest of the game, Higgins was conspicuous just now by sending in a grand corner kick, which went high in the air, and being carried by the wind, dropped right in the middle of the visitors' goal; but it was cleared magnificently, the play of the backs and goalkeeper being a treat. Undoubtedly, it was the strong defence of the backs which stopped Everton from scoring. Half-time was called, both teams crossing over with a clean sheet. It was thought that Darwen would do the pressing now, but throughout this half Everton had considerably the best of the game, the visitors' forwards only occasionally showing up, and then they were very nearly scoring. Joliffe surprising many by his agility. A splendid scrimmage in front of the Darwen goal plainly showed the ability of Holden, and the way in which he repelled shots from Farmer and Murray, and then finally gave Watson a premature “header” over his back caused the crowd to fairly roar with excitement. A miss-kick by Dobson followed by a wild flying attempt by Joliffe, caused the hearts of the home supporters to beat pretty fast, judging from the excitement then apparent. Darwen were doing a little pressing, and Joliffe had all his time occupied in stopping some good shots, one, which was just going under the bar, being well saved. The Everton forwards here dribbled the length of the field, and Farmer sent in a splendid shot, which Holden caught, and so fumbled that it went through, thus giving the first point to Everton. The home forwards played up with renewed ardour and the saves of Holden were surprising, the backs seconding his efforts well. When time was called Everton were left the victors by one goal to nil. Teams; Darwen;- Holden, goal; J. Marsden and T. Marsden, backs; Thornber, Owen and Dearden, half-backs; Rostron, Strachan, Thompson, Cawson, and Shorrock, forwards. Everton;- Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins Gibson and Murray, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Gougie, McPherson, and Watson, forwards.

Everton v Darwen
September 12 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
The above clubs met at Everton on Saturday, this bring the first meeting for a couple of seasons. Darwen brought down their full strength, but owing to the want of promptitude on the part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire the team were almost an hour late. The Everton players were in the field a few minutes after the appointed time, and thus had a tedious wait. Everton won the toss and turned their backs to the oblique wind, which gave them a certain amount of advantage, but which upset their best efforts at combined play. Thompson, for Darwen, kicked off, and the visitors' end was taken possession of by the home players, Watson put in a nice run and passed to his wingman. Goudie returned it to him again, but the former, who had a fair good opening shot very wide. Shorrock and Carson worked the leather back, but were stopped by Gibson who touched the ball to the left. Cassidy from this point centred nicely; but J. Mardsen kicked clear, Murray met the ball and again Mardesn defended smartly, and sending to the right gave, Rostron a chance of getting off. His career was brought to a sudden stop by Murray, which allowed the Everton captain to sent the ball first to the right wing. Dearden got in a timely kick, however, and in repling to Dick shot over the crossbar. The next movement of interest was brought about by Goudie and McPherson, the latter heading into the goalmouth, Holden saving at the cost of a corner. The visitors' backs cleared well, Dobson replied, and Watson again had a shy at goal. Another unproductive corner followed, and then the unlucky McPherson skimmed the bar, the ball passing over. From the kickout the Darwen left got away, but were splendidly folled by Dick, and McPherson headed over. Darwen then paid a fleeting visit to the other end, and in reply Goudie, Watson and McPherson put in a pretty run back. A corner followed, but without advantage. Goudie next tried a long shot, Holden fisted out, and McPherson meeting the ball again headed over. A fierce scuffle soon followed in the Darwen goalmouth but the defenders kept their charge intact, the escape being marvellous. Roustron at last got well under way, and raced along the right wing and shot in, Joliffe saved and Everton were soon at the other end, where McPherson was again very unfortunate in his shooting, and immediately afterwards changed places with Goudie. This player at once got well up, and Holden hit out a splendid shot from him. McPherson and Higgins also sent in good shots, but the Darwen goalkeeper played in rare form. half-time was reached without either side scoring. After the change of ends Goudie kicked off, Darwen playing a man short, Cawson having retired lame. The visitors now had the advantage of the breeze, but the superior passing of the home team was now seen to advantage, and, despite the difficulties of working the ball against the wind, it gradually but surely came towards the Darwen goal, and Holden had to fist out two shots which came in quick succession. Hands against Everton eased the pressure, and Darwen made play on the left. Farmer retaliated by a magnificent dribble and shot which was just saved at the cost of a corner. Darwen now had a warn couple of minutes, corner after corner falling to Everton, but nothing came of them. For the first time J. Marsden missed his kick, and Holden was only just in time to save. Strachan and Rontron got clear, and in attempting an overhead kick Murray gave a corner. Dobson cleared, Thornber returned the ball, which was beautifully met within a yard of the home goal by Higgins who kicked clear. Darwen however, returned to the charge, Shorrock shot in, Joliffe fisted clear, and Cassidy aided by Farmer worked along the left. Owen pulled them up, and sent in a fine shot, which was well hit out by Jollife. The Evertonians now made strenuous efforts to get down the field and Farmer receiving the ball from Higgins sent in a terrific shot, which Holden appeared to stop, but the ball twisted out of his hands, fell under the bat, and, amidst tremendous cheers the first and only goal was announced. After the kick off Cassidy kicked the wrong way, Murray corrected the error, and Higgins sent in a warm one, Farmer doing likewise a little later on, but both shots were well saved. Hands against Everton relieved for a few minutes, until McPherson and Watson executed a smart run down the right Marsden kicking out to save the danger. Time soon afterwards was called, leaving Everton winners of a hard fight by one goal to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins Gibson and Murray, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Gougie, McPherson, and Watson, forwards. Darwen; - Holden, goal; J and T. Marsden, backs; Dearden, Owen and Thornber, half-backs; Shorrock, Cowson, Thompson, Strachan, and Rothron, forwards.

Everton v Church
September 19, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
Played at Church, on Saturday, before about 1000 spectators. After the start, Everton experienced hard lines, Farmer, on the inside left, sending in magnificently right across the goal, but Thorpe saved splendidly. A corner now fell to the visitors, which Gibson headed through, six minutes after the start. Seven minutes later, Watson, from the outside right, during some severe pressing, scored a second time for the visitors. Everton continued to press, but the home team offered a good defence. The home team got away, but Everton obtained possession of the ball, and again pressed their opponents, and hands to Church in front of goal followed, but Everton cleared. The visitors' right wing then ran smartly down the field, but Robinson relieved the pressure. Everton then failed, Cassidy kicking outside. The home team got well up, and Smith centred, but Joliffe fisted, and danger was averted. Resuming, Church became aggressive, and Bolton sent in a well directed shot, which Joliffe made little effort to stop, evidently thinking it would pass outside. However, it just passed through the posts. The visitors now pressed, and had hard lines; but Church broke loose, and kept up a severe pressure. The Everton right wing cleverly evaded their opponents, but shot over the bar. Taylor, with a magnificent shot, shortly afterwards equalised for Church, amidst the applause of the spectators, the result being a draw2 goals each.

Everton v Church
September 19 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton paid a visit to Church on Saturday, and a well-contested game resulted in a draw of two goals each; Dobson having won the toss, Everton started, the ball, with the ground in their favour and pressed their opponents. Before half-time the visitors scored twice. Gibson and Watson doing the necessary, the former heading the ball through from a corner. After changing ends the home side were fortunate and twice beat Joliffe, and though Everton strove hard to take the lead again and had much the best of the play, the home defence was good, “time” leaving the game a drawn-two goals each. Teams; - Everton; - Joliffe, goal; Dick and Dobson (captain), backs; Higgins, Gibson, and Murray, half-backs; Cassidy, Farmer, Goudie, McPherson, and Walton, forwards. Church; - Thorpe, goal; Robinson and J. Woods, backs; Singleton, Taylor, and Tattersall, half-backs; Walker, Smith, Bolton, Sowerbutts, and Holden, forwards.

Bromborough Pool v Everton Reserves
The Everton team having journeyed to Church, the reserves team met Bromborough Pool at the Everton enclosure on Saturday, about 2,000 spectators lining the rails. Roy kicked off at ten minutes past four, R. Jones defending the Stanley Park goal. The home team were not long before they put the Cheshire representatives on the defensive and Jones sent in a shot which struck the post. Bromborough caused the Evertonians to retire but only temporarily and the globe having been well placed, Roy made a poor attempt to score. Each side conceded a corner, the result in each instance proving fruitless. The yellow and black stripes now began to press their opponents, and a corner having been conceded them, the visitors had hard lines in endeavouring to lower the blue and white colours, the ball striking the crossbar. At length E. Jones cleared, and the Everton forwards rushed the ball down to the Oakfield-road, Gilder and Mcleod being most prominent in this movement. From this point up to half time nothing noticeable occurred, neither side having scored. On crossing over, Jones restarted for Bromborough, and the home team at once made an onslaught on the Cheshire citadel, securing two corners in quick succession, both of which proved nil. For some minutes play became very slow, each side having what appeared to be easy opportunities of scoring, but the shots at goal were very tame. The Poolities now charged down on the Oakfield-road goal, and caused the Everton custodian some little anxiety, but the latter'' conduct between the uprights brought out quite an ovation from the spectators. At length the home right wing got away, and passing to the left, Douglas, who had previously been shooting somewhat faulty, got one past Williams, those putting the Evertonians in high glee. After the ball had been kicked off from the centre, play became of an even character, the glode travelling backwards and forwards in rapid succession. At last Brombourough swooped down on the home goal, and for a time the Everton goalkeeper defied every attempt to lower his club's colours, but about ten minutes before the finish White, on the visitors right wing eventually equalised matters by sending one past Jones. The play from this point to the whistle blowing does not call for remark, the game ending in a draw of one goal each. For the home team E. Jones, Houldstone, and Dyke, showed best form; while Worthington, White, Adams, and Keen were most conspicuous for the visitors. Teams; - Brombourugh; - R. Williams, goal; W. Adams and C. Keen, backs; Thomas, Lally, and Elburn, half-backs; Worthington, White, Jones, J. Lunt, and Brierley, forwards. Everton Reserves; - E. Jones, goal; Johnson and Huuldworth, backs; Jones, Whittle, and Dyke, half-backs; Costley, Douglas, Roy, Glider, and McLeod, forwards.


September 26, 1887. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton v. Liverpool St. John's.
On Saturday, the first cup tie in the local competition was brought off at Anfield-road, Everton meeting St. John's, a young club, whose proper place should be in the junior competition. The Everton team was a very mixed lot, none of the new players being yet qualified, whilst Farmer and Fleming also stood out. The attendance was not, naturally, anything like so large as is usually the case, and the game was an utterly one-sided affair, the only part of the St. John's team which showed average ability being the full backs. St. John's started with a glaring sun in their eyes, and before the game was a minute old, Dick scored for Everton, amidst loud laugher. Re-starting, another visit was made to St. John's quarters, and Everton took a corner, following which the visitors' crossbar was struck twice in rapid succession. After a slight interruption, a St. John's player being hurt, Higgins missed an easy chance and then a diversion was created at the other end, where Joliffe kicked away, and the assault on St. John's goal was again renewed. The backs defended stoutly, but, after Higgins had again missed, Gibson shot the second goal. This was followed by a third from the foot of Richards, and after more pressure Dick added a fourth, and Gibson the fifth. Another flying visit was made so the other end, but that was all, the ball passing harmlessly over the goal line. Dobson was very conspicuous at half-back, and made many chances for his forwards, which were not turned to account, Costley got a sixth goal before half-time, when Everton were leading by 6 goals to nil. On resuming, St. John's played much better, but the Everton attack went on as before. Richards and Dick hit the upright, and it was only after considerable pressure that the visitors defence succumbed for the seventh time, Higgins shooting a good goal. The renewal of the game was followed by a momentary outburst of the Saints and Joliffe almost gave them a goal, but, back again, Higgins shot another –the eight for Everton. Again the visitors got into Everton quarters, only to be again driven back, and severe scrimmage in their goal brought out good play by the backs and goalkeeper. After St. John's had obtained a corner kick, Everton added four goals in quick succession, Higgins (2), Richards and Costley putting the final touch to the ball. Everton thus won a runaway game by 12 goals to nil. Teams; St. John's –Allsopp, goal; Shaw and Brumpton, backs; Kersley, Ackers, and Pierpoint, half-backs; Roberts, Butterworth, Baker, J. Brumpton, and Strangeways, forwards. Everton -Joliffe, goal; Marriott and Houldsworth, backs; Jones, Gibson and Dobson, half-backs; Costley, Higgins, Dick, Briscoe, and Richards, forwards.

Association and District Challenge Cup
Everton v St John's
September 26 th 1887. The Liverpool Daily Post.
The above clubs met at the Everton ground on Saturday in the first round of the Cup in the presence of about 2,000 spectators, while considering the attraction at Bootle (played Accrington 6,000 spectators) was an amount of patronage much greater than could reasonably be expected, as St. John's is a comparatively unknown cup, which has it ground is one of our parks. This fact may to a certain extent account for the very poor show which they made, as the parks are not open to footballers until the 1 st October. Consequently practice is almost out of the question, and this fact alone demonstrates the absurdity of the association insisting on the first round being completed by the 8 th October, St. John's posses one or two good man –notably J. Shaw, Ackers, and Roberts. In spite of the long score against Allsopp in goal, he performed very creditably indeed considering the amount of work, which he was called on to do. The home team were very much mixed up, Dick, the full back, playing centre forward and Higgins partnered Costley on the left, but the defence of their opponents was so weak that the Everton forwards did as they liked, the ball seldom passing beyond the half-backs. In this division Jones played a very good game indeed. Baker kicked off, Dobson passed to the left, Jones centred and in less than a minute Dick headed the first goal. Evan at this early stage of the game it became manifest that it would only be a question of the number of goals scored. Costley ran up on the left, screwed across to the right, and Dick again did the needful. About ten minutes later Richards, with a beauty, registered the third. Allsopp and Shaw now came in for applause for the manner in which they cleared shots from Dick, Costley, and Higgins, but half-time saw three more goals, put on –two by Dick and one by Costley. During the first half one of the St John's men retired hurt, but at half-time another man was allowed to take his place. Dick restarted after crossing over, and although for a few minutes the Saints spurted up and for the first time during the game; Jolliffe had necessity to use his hands, yet there was nothing in the play to the call for description, the end being that six more goals were added, four by Higgins, and Richards and Costley one each, leaving the cupholders winners by twelve to nil. Teams; - Everton; - Jolliffe, goal; Marriott and Houldstone, backs; Gibson, Dobson (captain), and W. Jones, half-backs; Briscoe Higgins, Dick, Richards, and Costley, forwards. St. John's; - Allsop, goal; C. Brumpton and J. Shaw, backs; Pierpont, Ackers, and Kersey, half-backs; Striagaway, J. Brumpton, Baker, Butterworth, and Roberts, forwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 29 September 1888
The report that N. J. Ross and Hodgetts, during the progress of the Everton and Aston Villa league match at Birmingham last Saturday, were parties to an unseemly fracas is, we are glad state, entirely without foundation. We have been authentically informed that Ross was in no way to blame for what occurred.  The statement published in our last Saturday’s Football Edition on the subject was made on the strength of a telegram received from our Birmingham correspondent, who confounded Ross with another person. We regret exceedingly that such an error should have been made, and assure Ross and the Everton committee and their supporters that it was not our intention to cast any slight on the famous full back.
In another part of our paper we quoted remarks erroneously attributed to Mr. Nisbet, the late secretary of Everton, by a Manchester contemporary, and statements made by a Birmingham contemporary as to N. J. Ross.  Mr. Nisbet writes to us that he never made the remarks, and desires us to say that “on his present form he (Ross) is pre-eminently one of the best backs in the kingdom, and with his partner, Dick, forms a defence superior to that in any other team.” We desire to express our great regret that we inserted the remarks and statements above referred to, and we unreservedly withdraw any imputation which they involve, and are exceedingly sorry for any annoyance which has been caused to Mr. Ross.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 29 September 1888
Sir –As a reader of your evening paper football editions, I hope you will kindly place this letter, together with a reply to same, in next week’s notes on football.  Since Jack Ross has gone to the rising Everton Club, you have, or rather, I should say, allowed him, in your football notes, to be tramped down – in plain language, to be spoken of in a despicable manner, because, when he played for the famous North End, he was considered by you, and all prestonians who are supporters of that club, to be the champion full back player in –not Preston, which would have read rightly –but the United Kingdom(?).  I would like to know what Ross has done that he should now be run down.  Whenever took place with Ross, so that he left the greatest football eleven ever formed, is no criterion that he is not now a player of the first water.  I regret to think that those whom Ross has worked hard for and pleased in the past, should now find time to endeavor to lower the flag of fame which has been rightly handed to him for the good work he has done in many a hard-fought battle on the football field –Yours, &tc, J.R. Millett 28 Kirkdale-Vale, Kirkdale, Liverpool, 24th September, 1888.