October 1888

October 1 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton journeyed to Bolton on Saturday to play their League fixture with the Wanderers. The Liverpool club was heavily handicapped through five of their players suffering from recent injuries. Pollock took Holt's place in the half-back division and Chadwick changed position with Lewis. The day was a bad one for football a small drizzling rain falling during the whole game and saturating the players, while the ground was in a wretched condition, the grass being to long and spoiling the visitors in their passing game. There was nearly 5000 spectators present including a large following of the Liverpool club. Everton won the toss, and elected to play with a strong wind at their backs. Barbour kicked off, and he ran down Dobson had the misfortune to give hands, from the free kick, which was taken by D.Weir Davenport ran along the wing and beat Smalley with an easy shot a minute from the start. Everton from the kick-off went down the right, and had a corner, Simmer clearing and passing the leather to Barbour who carried play to the visiting quarters and the Wanderers registered another point, this time by Tyrer. A protest that the ball had not gone though was not sustained although the referee acknowledged hos mistake after he had given his decision. Arousing themselves the visitors kept sprinting away and Harrison had a busy time having to keep out a succession of shots from the opposing forwards. Three corners to Everton being cleared, Lewis managed to break through the defence and scored the first goal for Everton, with a speedy shot. Encouraged by this success, Everton was seen in the best pass of the game, all the forwards going up the field in a line and Watson equalised with a scorcher amidst the greatest excitement. Restarting, luck was again with the Wanderers and Tyrer rushed through a third goal for his side. Striving to equalise, the visitors made many attempts to score, and had hands in goalmouth which however, cleared and Barbour was pulled up by Ross when dangerous. J.Weir gave Chadwick a chance close in, but the shot was wide. Working hard, Everton again hovered around the Wanderers quarters and Brogan was lucky to spoil Lewis in his shot for goal half-time thus arriving with the score- Wanderers 3 , Everton 2. Up to this stage of the game Everton had the best of the play, put were unfortunate in their final attempts. On charging ends Watson and Waugh were soon busy and hands near in but Barbour got the ball away and D.Weir finished with a weak shot. Tyrer falling on the leather another free kick was given to Everton and then Pollock was cheered for rousing the enemy when dangerous. The homesters were again on the ball, and Milne beat Smalley for the fourth time. Everton then put on a spurt, and rained in a lot of shots put failed to augment their score. Brogan was here seen at the best running up the field and screwing across to Rennie who failed to take the opening and the ball rolled harmlessly out. Give and take play ensued for some considerable time, and Dobson made the mistake of heading the wrong way, Smalley having difficulty in clearing, J. Weir who was playing a good game intercepted Tyrer and Roberts had top pull up Waugh and Watson. Everton now showed signs of weakness owing to their injured players breaking down and the Wanderers succeeded in adding a fifth point Davenport putting the ball through from a scrimmage. This followed by Millie beating Smalley with a sixth goal, an evenly contested game thus ending in favour of the Wanderers by 6 goals to 2. The winners showed a great deal of their old form and could do nothing wrong in front of goal; while the reverse was because with Everton the visitors experienced the hardest of luck in their shots. Ross had to play back himself. Dick being unfit to play a remark which applies to Smalley, Dobson, and Watson, while the Everton executive had to rearrange their forwards, which may account somewhat for the defeat. Teams:- Wanderers, Harrison goal, Jones, and Robinson backs Weir (r), Simmers, and Roberts, half-backs, Davenport, Brogan, Milne, and Tyrer, forwards Umpire Parkinson, Everton:- Smalley, goal, Dick and Ross (captain), backs, Weir (j), Dobson and Pollock, half-backs, Waugh, Watson, Chadwick Lewis, and Farmer forwards. Umpire, E.Berry, Referee T.Helme

October 1 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire senior cup-first round
The visitors arrived behind time and forfeited the tie, about 2000 spectators were present, and a friendly game was played. which proved even in the first half two goals each side being scored. The latter part of the play was more of less in favour of Everton, who won by 4 goals to 2. Teams; Everton Reserves:- Joliffe goal, Ashmore (n), and Chadwick (a) backs, jones (wh), Hayes (t), and Harbour (w), half-backs, Briscoe (w), Fleming (g), Whittle (j), Berry (d) and Costley (j) forwards. Turton:- Watson, goal, Wallwork, and Mulliday (w) backs, Key (t), Simmers (j), and Corden half-backs Smith Estwistle, Trainer (t), Stenson (j), and Haughton (g) forwards.

October 1 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton, for the wind up of their evening engagement, on Wednesday were visited with another Derby club. This was the Junction, the despoilers of Blackburn Rovers intention in connection with the English cup, and a much better team they proved them their Midland neighbors. Instead of Everton attaining a 6 goal victory they were if anything a bit fortunate in obtaining a win by a bare margin of 2 goals to 1. The home team it must at once be conceded was not fully represented seeing that Higgins Milward, and Pollock were included, with the consequence that the essential combination were entirely absent. Dick and Ross, of course greatly helped the scoring down, and Pollock and Weir were effective, but the forwards were all sixes and sevens. Farmer had some spendid chances and did some strong running but he was particularly wanting in tact at a critical moment, either losing opportunities through dallying too long or shooting wildly Chadwick and Milward were tame; Watson was suffering from lainenes and Waugh, from his henchman's inability to render his usual efficient support had little chance to delight the spectators with the grand passing runs of the previous Wednesday's match. The visitors from Derby were a broad bottomed team, and if none were especially clever they played with a thorough under standing of each other. At times they went away in formation and the feature of their play was the quality and cleanest with which the ball was sent from one to another with accuracy. Harden Morley late of Derby County was left full back facing Weir, Watson, and Waugh. He accordingly found a tremoust lot of work to negotiate, and he acquitted himself of the heavy task with perfect, establishing a claim to be as equal at least of any back on the field. Of the other members of the team, Bromage the custodians and Snelson Hopkins Radford, Plackett and W Smith made their pressure the more recognizable the last two being requisitioned for the occasion from Long Eaton Rangers. Everton like their Bootle neighbours experienced great inconvenience owing to several men being on the wick list. These extra matches have done considerable harm to players, and it is with facing of relief, now that the evening exhibitions are at an end that undivided attention can be given to the important Saturday's business. Everton suffered a second reverse in their League engagement on Saturday. Bolton Wanderers giving further proof of increased strength by overthrowing the Anfieldites in a decisive manner of 6 goals to 2. The game, however, was much more even than the score indicates, as the visitors attacked almost as often as the home team. At half-time the record stood 3 to 2, and this was a better index of the respective merits of the opposing sides than the monopoly of scoring attained by the winners in the second half. The losers were handicapped in not being in a position to put their full strength on the field, and some of those that did play were not in good heart, Dick Smalley. Dobson and Watson all being indisposed from various cause's. Compared with Aston Villa experience the match was pleasantly conducted though hard, as all tussle between rivals have ever proved. But the tactics on either side were of the rushing order rather than that of scientific combination. Throughout the game rain fell heavily, rendering the ground which was so lumpy. Very treacherous, and the long grass was a source of considerable embarrassment to the players, especially to the visitors, who found it rather different work than running on the trim turf at home. The home team all played well, Davenport and Brogan, if anything being the more prominent of the forwards, and D.Weir the most brilliant of the back division. The hero of the visiting team was J.Weir, who was equal if not superior, to his namesake of Bolton. Ross also did well, but Dick and Dobson, though doing as well as could be expected under adverse conditions, were only moderate. Everton's front men again underwent transposition. Chadwick was tried at centre, Lewis partnering Farmer, but its latest phase was no improvement on what has gone before, and the disorganization, perhaps was rather intensitied than cured. It seems that the evil will not be remedied until a centre forward can be secured that will command the confidence of the wings and one who would effectually stop the semblance even of selfish play.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 06 October 1888
That Frank Sugg has at last decided to throw in his lot with Everton a wise course this, as he has started a cricket and football outfitting shop in Whitechapel, Liverpool; that if Sugg plays today for Everton he ought to prove a useful acquisition, and the Birmingham club will find they have a much stiffer job on hand than they expected. 
That the Everton executive have taken all possible precautions to prevent any disturbances, and have called on the spectators by means of handbills and otherwise to show that they know how to conduct themselves; that even in the face of this it is only natural to expect some signs of disapprobation to be shown. 
That Pollock is not more than an average half-back and that longing eyes are cast towards Bootle, from whence so often has come the Everton salvation, in the way of recruits; that it is scarcely likely that the Everton Committee will run any risks, nor will any amateurs be ready to court the fate of Izatt and Weir; that McKinnon has turned out a veritable white elephant and that Gibson might have come in ‘Andy just now, for it took a lot to incapacitate him; that the old Everton centre half was inclined to be contumacious, and did not take kindly to the new management at all –hence his disappearance from the scene.   That Bobby Stockton thinks no small thing concerning his team; that the Everton Reserves is undoubtedly a splendid lot, and that Stoke Swifts are a little premature in their assumption of the style and title of championships of the Reserves; that Stockton’s lads would like to try a fall with them. 
That Frank Sugg will, in the opinion of Boltonians appear more regularly as a professional for Everton than he did when playing for the Wanderers; that Frank is a good man and just what the Evertonians require - if he can only be induced to play regularly. 

October 6, 1888 Lancashire Evening Post
That Frank Sugg has at last decided to throw in his lot with Everton, a wise course this, as he has started a cricket and football outfitting shop in Whitechapel, Liverpool; that if Sugg plays today for Everton he ought to prove a use acquisition and the Birmingham club will find they have a much stiffer job on hand than they expected.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 08 October 1888
There can be little doubt that it was well for all concerned that so long a time elapsed between the meeting of Everton and the Villa, after the little unpleasantness at Perry Barr. In the first place it allowed public resentment a chance of becoming toned down, and the very laudable action of the Everton executive, through their secretary, in issuing a handbill calling on the spectators to let the Perry Barr incident be forgotten, and give the visitors an Everton welcome, had a mollifying influence.  The old proverb of returning good for evil; was carried even farther. As the visiting team were entertained after the match at the Sandon Hotel.  The Everton team were first on the field, and it was then noticed that the dark un, called by the name of Johnstone, was non est, and his place, centre forward, was taken by Frank Sugg -rather a surprise.  Holt resumed his place at half-back, and this time in the true position, viz, centre Farmer on the left and Weir on the right.  This rearrangement of the first line of defence worked admirably, and so completely broke up the attack of the Villa that their play bore no comparison with the exhibition in the first match.  Yet the match, on the whole, was voted the best played on the home enclosure this season.  The Villa received a hearty welcome by the tremendous crowd, and it must have made the Villa men feel more easy.  The next moment Hodgetts advanced to Dick and held out his hand, and it was pleasant to notice how Dick accepted the proffered shake. 

October 8 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
This return League match was played at Anfield road ground on Saturday in the presence of 12,000 spectators. The visitors team was the same, with two exceptions, which played at Birmingham a fortnight ago. Warmer taking up his place in goal and Dawson substituting Dixon at half-back. The home club was greatly strengthened. Sugg Holt, and McKinnon playing instead of Keys, Warmby and Higgins. Everton, who were not satisfied with their two previous defeats were under the care of Fred Willis during the week, and entered the enclosure strong and in good trim. Holt and Sugg got hearty reception on making their appearance, and a similar compliment was paid to the Aston lot. Previous to starting the game, Hodgetts, against whom hard things had been said, openly apologized to Dick for the treatment that player was subjected to at Birmingham, and said he was sorry for what he had done. The ground was in true order, but the sun slightly interfered with the play. Everton won the toss, and Archie Hunter kicked off with the wind at his back. Everton were the first to show and McKinnon receiving the ball from Ross, soon tested Warmer with a warm handful; but that player was cool, and threw out. Getting again into Aston quarters Everton had a free kick, which was nicely taken and Warmer had some difficulty in clearing his lines. Working well down, Hodgett shot across, and Dick in negotiating, kicked the wrong way nearly letting in Brown, who slightly injured himself in charging Smalley, and the ball went over. Aided by Dick, Waugh ran nicely up, and screwed across the goal mouth, but Sugg failed to get up, and Cox transferred play to the other end where Devey sent over. Watson having tested Warner Brown sped along the right, and cross to Hodgetts, who headed wide. A pretty bit of passing by Watson and McKinnon was spoiled by Cox near in, and Hunter was easily robbed by Holt. Green and Brown having been successfully tackled by Ross Watson again tried Warmer who kicked clear, and Green gave Hodgetts another chance without any effect. A tricky bit of play by Waugh and Chadwick caused the Aston custodian to conceded a corner, the ball twisting in his hands and going to the side of the upright. Continuing aggressive Everton had the hardest of luck, shot after shot being rained in quick succession, but Warmer nullified all their attempts to score. At length the Villa got away, and after Ross had spoiled Hodgetts. Allen had the misfortune to get his hands in the way near Smalley's charge. From the free kick the homesters again hovered round the visitors quarter and Warmer had a lively time of it. But had to succumb to Waugh, who from a pass by Watson, registered the first goal for Everton amidst loud cheers. Resuming the home club, Encouraged by this success made tracks to the Aston end and Cox was compelled to give a corner to prevent another downfall which However was cleared. A free kick being headed over the bar by Waugh, half-time arrived with Everton pressing, and the score –Everton 1, Villa 0. On changing ends, the large crowd gave vent to their feeling by loudly cheering Warner for his excellent defence. Kicking off Sugg passed down the ball down, but Coulton returned to Green and that player got near in, only to find Ross in readiness, by planting well down when Hunter was seen to be erratic in his play. Brown having shot wide, Chadwick and McKinnon each had shies and after Warmer had cleared, Waugh and Watson were both very near augmenting the home score by sending in two scorchers. At the stage of the game Waugh received an accidental kick in the leg from Coulton, and Brown overreached himself. Necessitating their withdrawal from the field. With ten men on either side play was resumed, and the home team again took up the reins, and were soon awarded a free kick, which came to nothing. The Villa made a momentary visit to the Everton quarters by the iad of Hodgetts, who found Dick and bad to beat, and Cox had soon to give another corner to prevent a dangerous raid taking effect. The kick was nicely placed, but the ball was eventually worked clear, and Allen and Hodgetts wended their way to Smalley's end where Ross was in waiting, and Farmer soon after beat Warner with a good shot, the villa custodian looking after the home centre while the ball rolled past him. After this play continued fast, each side paving respective visits by nice passing but no further point was gained. Everton thus reversing their previous meeting with a well earned victory of 2 goals to nil. For the losers Warner in goal played a champion game, and is undoubtedly the best custodian the Everton men have ever had against them. Devey was the pick of the defence, while all the forwards are of the best class, and played a good game, their passing at times being brilliant. For the winners, Smalley had little to do, the ball seldom passing Dick and Ross, the latter of whom was seen in his old form; the half-backs were the best trio that have done duty for the home club this season. Farmer giving the greatest satisfaction to the large crowd; and the forward rank worked well, and will be very bad to beat when they have a little more practice. Teams; Everton:- Smalley goal, Dick and Ross (captain) backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, McKinnon, Watson, Sugg, Chadwick, and Waugh forwards. Umpire Berry (e), Aston Villa:- Warner, goal, Coulton, and Cox, backs, Yates, Devey, and Dawson, half-backs Brown, Green, Hunter (captain), Allen, and Hodgett forwards, Umpire Ramsey (g), referee Mr, McIntyre (Manchester).

October 8 1888. The Liverpool courier
Played on Saturday at Crewe, Steam kicked off against the wind. Everton presses for some time and Crewe had somewhat hard lines, Everton by obtaining a fast and exciting goal was placed to the credit of the Evertonians, who kept the ball, dangerously near their opponent's goal almost the whole of the first half. Score at half time 2-0 for Everton result Everton beat Crewe by 5 goals to 1.

October 8 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton, since they met Aston Villa at Birmingham a fortnight ago, have undergone a great change, and not a stone has been left unturned to wipe out the 2 to 1 defeat they than received. During the week the executive of the club met and decided that the team should train more than they had done, and the players taking the hint put themselves under their trainer with the result that they came out of the contest on Saturday with flying colours, beating the ex-cup holders pointless and filling the hearts of their supporters with great hopes of the future. Everything was in favour of a good game, and Hunter kicked off in their presence of a tremendous crowd, which contrasted itself very much with that at PerryBarr. During the earlier stages of the game the home team was seen to the best advantage, with the result that Warner-who, by the way, was an absentee in the first League encounter-had a busy time of it, but did his work in a masterly way, and,40 minutes had elapsed before Waugh managed to beat him. The visitors who at times were very brilliant in their pass, seldom got beyond the home defence, who prevented. Smalley having much to do, and half-time arrived with Everton in command with 1 goal to nil. On restarting both sides warmed to their work. Green failed to avail himself of a chance offered him, and then Waugh and Brown simultaneously withdrew from the field owing to injuries, thus leaving the respective wing weak. Each club continued to play hard, and again the visiting goalkeeper had plenty to do, McKinnon, Watson, Sugg and Chadwick each trying to increase the lead, but it was not until within ten minutes of the finish that Farmer sent one through from the side of the mid-field line; Everton avenged their previous reverse by achieving a brilliant victory of 2 goals to nil. Everton, in their new formation, all well Farmer at half-back, showing that the committee was wise in giving him a trial there. Sugg did creditably at centre forward for a first appreance, and, no doubt after their success of Saturday the cause team will be entrusted to carry the club through their future exacting engagement.

October 9 1888. The Liverpool Courier
The first of the two extra matches between the above clubs took place at Turf Moor Burnley, yesterday in very dull weather. The victory of Everton over Aston Villa made the fixture very attractive, fully four thousand spectators being present including a contingent from Liverpool, who accompanied the team. Burnley played their full strength, but the visiting team was considerably weakened by the absence of Weir and Waugh who through indisposition were unable to play, and Higgins and Chadwick of the Reserves had to fill the vacancies. Dick was suffering from lameness, and to make matters worse, Ross received a nasty kick on the knee cap which rendered him almost useless for the remaining of the game. Ross having won the toss, Rolland kicked off downhill. The Burnley forwards got well down the centre, the ball going over. From the kick-off Everton took up the attack, McKinnon striking the upright the ball going over. A foul against Kennan was well placed by Holt to McKinnon who struck the cross-bar with a magnificent shot. By good passing by Burnley forwards worked the sphere to the other end Brady experiencing hard lines in not scoring. Again Burnley pressed and Dick had to concede a corner. Nothing tangible resulting the Everton left took up the running. Lang having to kick out in order to save. Burnley now played up remarkably well, but Ross And Dick were hard to pass, and Smalley's charge remained impregnable, an overhead kick by Tait going outside. A grand run by McKinnon and Watson gave Everton a chance, when Keenan with a good punt removed the danger. Burnley now raced down the right Ross putting an end to the invasion by some excellent tackling. A good shot from Friel was well fisted out by Smalley and this brought half0time, with no goals having been scored by either side. After the usual interval, Sugg kicked off downhill, Kennan, with a long kick getting the ball well in front, Gallacher however, shooting over. Everton increasing the pace gave the backs some trouble. Kennan saving in the goal mouth. Everton still kept up the pressure and Kay had to throw behind. Another corner now fell to Everton. McKinnon again being unfortunate in not scoring. The Burnley van, getting intro line, rushed up the field, and passing the half-backs Gallacher with a low shot, scored the first goal for Burnley. From the kick-off, the Burnley forwards again pressed and Gallacher scored another goal after an accurate pass from Brady. Everton now dribbled down the right, and Sugg passed to Chadwick who shot in, but Kay again cleared. A foul in the Everton goal mouth was well placed by Kennan, and Lang getting possession scored with a screw shot. From the kick-out Dick dribbled down the field, his shot going wide, and from then to the finish Everton pressed hard, but could not break through the powerful defence of the Burnley back division. The game throughout was of a very pleasant character, the Everton forwards being very unfortunate in failing to score. Final result- Burnley three goals, Everton nil. Teams:- Everton: - Smalley, goal, Ross (captain) and Dick backs Chadwick (a), Holt, and Farmer half-backs Higgins, Chadwick (e) Sugg, Watson, and McKinnon, forward. Burnley:- Kay, goal, Berry, and Lang backs, Keenan, Friel and Abrams, half-backs Brady, Tait Gallacher, Roland and Yates forwards .

October 15 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton traveled to Nottingham on Saturday to play their return League fixture with Notts County arriving in the town about noon and this having ample time for rest after three hours, jolting in the railway saloon carriage. the match was set down for three o'clock and punctually to time Everton entered the well arranged and leveled enclosure, meeting with a cheer of welcome by the 4000 spectators that had assembled at Trent Bridge ground. A few minutes later Notts appeared on the scene. They Allsop were applauded them operations commenced the only alteration in the announced teams being that Watson vice Fleming. The weather was delightfully fine, with perhaps a little too much wind, which blew from goal to goal, and against which the visitors kicked off. Notts at once went off in a rush and taking Everton some what by surprise were very near effecting a goal a fine shot from the left striking the bar. Dick cleared another attack but Notts were not to be stalled off, and in a moment Daft and Jardine broke through, the latter sending past Smalley very easily a feat so early in the game that was greeted with an unmistakable hilarious shout. Everton plucked up considerably on restarting, and got well within Notts quarters, but only a goal kick came of the run on the right. Farmer gave his forwards an opportunity of moving again towards goal, Briscoe running on, and from a free kick well taken by Farmer, the ball was headed behind. Jardine relieved, beating Dick, and forcing a corner which was cleared out though Dick interposed as a critical moment on the left, the home forwards came with renewed energy, a really clever shot from Daft fairly nonplusing Smalley for the second time. Weir next came out well in staying an exciting rush, but the ball was immediately impelled towards Everton's goal, Smalley this time saving brilliantly shot from Hodder and Allen being also rendered harmless. A short respite now fell to the visitors defending line, Holt getting far enough down to test Holland, who easily checked clear, Moore replying with an indifferent shot. A free kick again fell to Everton, entrusted to Farmer, Dick putting over, and Cursham risked a corner, from which Allen and Daft went of pretty style as far as Ross, who discounted the effort with a characteristic kick. However, it was Farmer who throughout had played with spendid judgement judgement that effectual beat off the attack and in turn enabled Everton to force play round about Notts Goal the visitors tactics in front being a great improvement on what had hitherto been shown. There were no flaws to be found in the home defence though, and after Holt had received a jeer from the partial onlookers for the way in which he floored an opponent, Jardine had hard luck in a keen oblique shot. The home forwards, who had so far maintained a tremendous speed, now began to tame down, and Everton corresponding gathered energy, the latter attacking rather strongly, the best effort being Watson's from McKinnon's pass the ball being a little to high. The goalkick was availed of by Notts for a sharp run, and Smalley, fumbling with the ball, seemed to put it through, giving the home team a lead off 3 goals to none, an accident which brought on the interval. The outlook thus looking serious for Everton, Ross tried a re-arrangement, himself going centre-forward, Sugg half-back and Holt in partnership with Dick, and certainly a change for the better became observable in the attack, which had been of only milk and water quality during the first half. Ross on Allen restarting was at once in command, and was disappointed in a hot shot, a well-sustained assault following, but Cursham and Guttridge were always in the way. Moore caused a momentary diversion and then Ross was foiled in a shot. Everton by means of a nice piece of passing at close quarters again gave trouble, and a terrific tussle ensued right in the goalmouth. Holland saving miraculously, he falling with the ball in his arms, and then scrambling through the chargers and chucking clear. It was a clever performance, and met with proper recognition from the spectators. Notts next got well away, Guttridge kicking accurately, but the movement proved expensive as Ross wound up a powerful run by scoring a spendid goal, a significant silence being evinced by those who saw this lowering the chocolate and blue colours. Chadwick followed with a good shot, the ball grazing the bar, and immediately after Everton came out with a grand passing movement. Farmer Briscoe Watson and McKinnon being the chief actors, and it fairly delighted the hitherto partial spectators, the performance eliciting the remark and this from an ‘'enemy'' that they deserved a win by play like that. Uttridge, however, was relentless in beating McKinnon, and at all this fine display went for nothing. Notts then had a share of attacking, Smalley clearing twice, Everton battling against the invaders amidst discouraging hooting of the ‘'Lambs'' which only ceased when their pets were in troubled waters. Dick had given mortal offence for resorting in the excitement to his old doubtful tactics of giving a knee, and after this he experienced the utmost discourtesy. The game continued with Great Spirit, the Anfieldites having far the best of play, but never being lucky enough to get another goal, and so Notts, by 3 goals to one, scored their first success in the League engagement. Teams; Everton:- Smalley, goal, Dick and Ross (captain) backs, Weir Holt, Farmer, half-backs, Watson McKinnon, Sugg, Briscoe and Chadwick, forwards. Notts:- Holland, goal, Cursham, and Guttridge backs, Brown Shelton (a), and Hall, half-backs Hodder, Moore, Allen, Daft, and Jardine, forwards. Referee Mr Meon.

October 15 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
This game was played at Anfield on Saturday before fully 3000 spectators, and the spendid performance of their Everton Reserves richly deserved such support. The teams which faced each other about four p.m. were- Earlestown weir goal, Tyrer, and johnson backs, Harrison Bowker, and Anderton half-backs, Jones (d), Conway, Jones (j), Lerus, and Siddeley, forwards. Everton:- Joliffe, goal, Chadwick and Ashcroft, backs, Fayer, Pollock (captain), and Jones, half-backs, Keys, Berry Milward Costley and Falls forwards. Pollocl won the toss and Earlestown started, and at once, be very pretty passing attacked Joliffe's charge, and Siddeley, centering with accuracy enabled Lerus the Earlestown centre to scored for the visitors. Two minutes after the kick off. This was most unexpected, and several of the Everton spectators like ‘'Jobs'' comforters could prophecy nothing but defeat; but here they were great mistaken for the Reserves team somehow never seen to play with any fire until their opponents scored. Upon restarting Earlestown still continued to press the vireo of very good passing, but they had shot their bolt. A quarter of an hour's play, for the Everton forwards commenced a bombardment which grew furious at the game went on. First Berry and then Keys Pollock and Costley scored and this brought half-time. The combined play of the forwards was now excellent, and with help of the half-backs, they began to ‘'pile on the front'' adding seven goals to their edit, Polllock taking effect two minutes from the start, then Key scored from a pass by Costley, Costley placed another goal to the Everton total, Milward ran up the centre, Bowler clearing by Falls and Costley again placed the Earlestown citadel in danger. The backs defend well until Berry received from Falls, who again scored. Immediately afterwards Milward scored with a low shot and later on Falls scored during a scrimmage and Everton winning an easily by 11 goals to 1.

October 15 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton departing from ‘'the noiseless tenor of their way'' experimented with a mid week match away from home on Monday, and the result has not been such as will encourage further exploit of a like ‘'exhibition ‘' caliare. They were induced to run over to Turf Morr, to play a match with Burnley, and at the game time is the shape of a good ‘'gate'' that would ensure give their co-leaguers a timely financial impetus. This latter benevolent object was attained, for a big company gathered themselves together; but the game was not so pleasing in its result from an Evertonians point of view, as the visitors were 3 goals to nil, behind the home eleven at the finish. However, the disaster need not be considered of much moment as Everton had not got their full team in hand, and the true relative status of the two cluns will be shown in their home and home League games on Nov 17 and 24. In the meantime, taking up the threads from Aston Villa noble victory Everton on Saturday pitched their tent on the historic ground of Notts County on the banks of the silvery Trent, in order if possible, to repeat the success of three weeks ago. A big but painfully one sided crowd assembled round the excellent field of play. The weather was neither too hot nor too cold, for football and with the sunshining , everything promised a pleasant afternoon amusement. This roseate fore assult, and, after being subjected to what was nothing less than insolence almost throughout the proceeding an attempt was made to mob the Everton players, which was in a measure prevented though Dick brought back visible proof of the severity of a blow with a stick. It must be admitted that Dick did one or two shady and unnecessary pieces of work some people alleging that he struck Hodder but he certainly did not deserve the maltreatment meted out to him, and the Nottingham ensuing papers are strong in denouncing the conduct of the spectators towards the visitors. On the game itself Notts County were not three goals to on, as the scorer would seen to indicate better than Everton for, balancing the early with the later stage of play, the form displayed was about even. Two at least of the Notts goals were lucky ones, which does not say much for Smalley by the aye whilst towards the finish the Anfieldites had to contend against both good defence and better goalkeeping and luck. Waugh is still incapacitated from the kick in the Aston Villa match and he was sorely missed, especially in the first half, when the forwards line was hardly ever seen in combination. With Ross at centre after the interval, the passing and formation was excellent, the captain making a striking contrast with Sugg who resumed his proper place at half-backs, whilst Holt was put in Ross's position at back. Smalley shaped very indifferently at the start, and to this fact must mainly be attributed Everton's defeat. Dick was not well but still he played a safe game though unhappily marred by an indulgence in an old weakness of going for his man after the ball had been dispatched clear away. Weir and Farmer were both correct but the latter outshone his colleague, and playing throughout with coolness and good judgement, seemed to be always too clever for Hodder and Moore and was the best half-back on the field. Of the forwards, next to Ross comes Chadwick whilst Briscoe did some excellent dribbling at times. Notts were happy in five consistent forwards, who thoroughly understood each other, the two outsides men, Jardine and Hodder, qualifying for special commendation, the former at the context being far too dashing and tricky for Dick to cope with. The half backs and backs were reliable, if not super excellent, but Holland in goal proved every wily and cool. Meanwhile Everton have been draw against Paidham in the Lancashire cup second round.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 20 October 1888
That there was a lurking suspicion that Archie Goodall was waiting for a berth in Liverpool; that his habit of dropping apparently from the clouds, into the most unexpected quarters is well known, but he was confidently expected to settle in Liverpool. 
That Everton have had to eat humble pie once again when away from home, at last, but not least, have not improved their reputation, if all we hear be true, that many of the yarns spun must be taken in with a big pinch of salt, as in some instances there are indications of animus, or, to say the least of it, jealousy of the club’s success, but, clammer as they may, Everton will come to the front.
That Alex Dick forgot himself at Nottingham cannot be denied, but it must be borne in mind that like most cases of the sort, there were extenuating circumstances; that the extenuating circumstances in this instance comprised the facts that certain calumnious stories were circulated anent Dick’s play at Aston Villa; that, accepting it all as Gospel, the Nottingham crowd jeered at him from the moment he was recognized; that Dick, not being very well, and being human, lost his temper; that it was very much to be regretted that he vented his spleen on Moore by giving him a rise behind, as it had nothing to do with the play, and was, as it were, kicking him for falling; that beyond this unfortunate incident there was no roughness whatever on the part of the Evertonians, in fact they were, taken all round, too tight to indulge in roughness, even had they been so inclined; that Briscoe suffered from the gentle pressure of Harry Cursham’s heel, which landed on his hip, and there left an unmistakable impression, studs and all; that Harry fell over Briscoe after his jump and coolly claimed a foul, but the claim was as coolly ignored.  That several of the Notts players want their wings clipping, as they frequently soar too high in attempting to reach the ball, and thus infringe the rule against jumping &c., that the game taken on the whole, was not worth looking at; that in the first half there was decidedly more music than science and had Smalley not been completely out of form owing to a bilious attack.  Notts would never have scored, as two of the shots were rank duffiers; that in the second half Ross went to the front, and the passing tactics of the Evertonians at once became so good that even the vicious crowd near the press stand admitted that they chaps could play the game well until it came to shooting, and then all the play was spoiled by wretched shooting.  In this department Watson was the greatest offender and the moral to him should be learn to use the side of your foot; that Ross shot the only goal for his club, and a regular scorcher it was; that some of the executive indulged in regrets that he had not gone forward in the first half; that this would have been disastrous no thinking man will deny, as the Notts men had the wind during that period, and Ross did an infinite amount of repelling; that the loss of Waugh on the Everton left was awful; Chadwick and Briscoe did not hit it off at all, in fact, Chadwick was so selfish that Dick fairly boiled over at him when he saw, time after time, chances lost and the ball returned.  That unless Everton can scratch up a better team for today, it is quite on the cards that another loss will have to be called on. 
That Everton supporters are wondering when their team will win an out match.  Today? That Dick’s notoriety will be very unpleasant encumbrance in the future that the Everton Committee are determined to stop objectionable tactics by their men at any cost; that the committee deserve greater success than has yet attended their efforts. 
Bootle are aggrieved that the match is to be played at Everton’s that notwithstanding the committee could scarcely refuse Everton’s offer; that the accommodation at Hawthorne-road is inferior to that at Anfield. 

October 22 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton on Saturday journey by special saloon toDerby to take part in their League fixture. On arriving on the County ground they were received very courteously by the executive. The ground which is very open and nicely situated was in excellent condition. There was over 3000 spectators present, who applauded during the course of the game the good points of both sides and cheered accordingly, when deserved. Everton won the toss and at five minutes past three Higgins started the ball with a strong sum in his face. The first good point noticed was a spendid bit of combination by McKinnon and Watson but Roulston went to the rescue, and starved off, enabling Bakewell to get to Joliffe's end, where he was wide in his finishing touch. From the goal kick Everton broke away in grand style and forced a corner, which was nicely taken, and Costley put on the first point of the game. From midfield Derby showed up in a grand run by their left wing, and Chaterton was conceded a corner by Ross, which, however, came to nothing. After Everton had made two incursions to the home quarters, Farmer shot in swiftly, and Costley again scored amid a round of applause by the spectators. By this early reverse the County seemed to renew their exertions and severely tested the visiting defence in which Holt and Weir were prominent, and at length from a pass by L.Plankett Chaterton headed a nice goal. Even play then followed until half time arrived with the score –Everton 2 goals Derby County 1. On changing over the County were the first to show up and H. Placett and Higgins had two attempts to beat Joliffe but the Liverpool custodian stalled them off. Everton had now two free kicks to clear, and got away in a dashing run, Betswick conceding a corner and McKinnon shot a third point for the Evertonians. An appeal that the ball had been over the line was not sustained, and the goal was allowed. Again Everton showing good tactics kept hovering round the home end and Chadwick with a smart shot again beat Betswick. Derby now played up well, and at length Joliffe succumbed to Bakewell who headed a second goal for his side from a pass by L.Plackett. encouraged by the spectators the anfieldites were again busy near the Everton end, but Farmer eventually checked, and play was taken to the home quarters, but no further scoring took place,, Everton thus gaining their first League fixture away from home by 4 goals to 2. The game all round was a pleasing one, and both sides worked hard. The losers backs and half-backs played a sterling game. While the forwards the brothers Plactett and Higgins were the most conspicuous and found plenty of work for the visitors. The winners, though not at their full strength, showed determined in and combination, that selfishness of the forwards so often see being entirely absent. Ross and Dobson were in good form. Especially the latter, who was mainly instrumental for his side winning. The half-backs were all that could be desired while the forwards at times displayed great dash and judgement. Teams Derby County:- Bestwick (th), goal, Latham and Wright (lg), backs, Williamson Hopewell, and Roulston (w), half-backs Bakewell and Catterton right wing, Higgins centre, Plackett (h), Plackett (l), left wing, Umpire Shaw (w) Everton:- Joliffe, goal, Dobson and Ross (captain) backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, McKinnon and Watson right wing, Sugg (f) centre, Chadwick and Costley, left wing, Umpire Briscoe (w) Referee H.Jope

October 22 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Reserves played in new jersey of red and white stripes
Everton reserves travelled over to Tranmere hill on Saturday but being short of four of the usual team and three of their being forwards, the usually good combination of the Reserves was all at sixes and sevens, Everton having the best of the play throughout-lost their first match this season by a goal to nothing. Dick assisted the Reserves thus being unwell, and not playing in his usual position but right wing forward he was not the shinning light he generally is. Some very good play was shown by Myer and Shepherd for Tranmere Rovers and this were admirably assisted by the centre half. The forwards play was disjointed-little of no combination being shown. McAfee at times was very brilliant with his fast runs on the left. Milward Chadwick, and Keys (who by the way was unfit to play on account of recent illness) all missed exceedingly easy chances for goal two clear cut. A.Berry passing in front of goal and being missed by every one. An irregular incident accrued while going on the field. The Everton side turned up in new jerseys (red and white strips), and a gentleman said, They have deserted their old colours, and will be beaten,'' although defeated Stockton's boys were in no way disheartened and are looking forward to next Saturdays encounted with Bootle. Teams:- Tranmeres Rovers:- Sherdian (h), goal, Myers (t), and Shepherd (f) backs, Bradfield (j), Roberts (j), and Sherdian (g), half-backs Litter (w) Morgan (j) Taylor (a), McAfee (c) and Rouledge, (wh), forwards; Everton:- an other, goal, Chadwick (a) and Ashcroft (n), backs, Fayer (t) Pollockk (h0 (captain), and Jones (wh) half-backs Keys (j), Dick (a) Milward (a) Bery (a) and Fell (r),, forwards.

October 22 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton went to Derby for the first time on Saturday to fulfil their League engagement with the county team,, and met with greatest courtesy yet shown them the spectators and players evincing a refreshing impartiality to the visitors which contrasted strongly with their neighbor the Notts County in their behavior to the strangers. Leaving Smalley Dick, and Waugh who are on the sick list, the Everton eleven were not the strongest but all played a plucky game throughout, and succeeded in winning their first League match away from home thus getting higher in the League list. In the first half of the game, the Liverpoolians were fortunate in having the sun in their favour and were not long in play before they succeeded in putting on the initial point. the home left then showed up but failed to get through the opposing defence and Everton again scored from a well placed shot by Farmer which was duly and properly notched by the 3000 spectators present. Even play followed for a time, but Derby were striving hard and Chatterson headed the first point for his side, half an hour from the beginning of hostilities. Nothing further in the scoring line was done up the half-time and Everton crossed over with the lead of a goal. Both clubs worked hard on resuming, the homesters being very near equalizing by a speedy shot from L.Packett but Joliffe saved splendidly and again the Derby colours were lowed this tome by McKinnon. Holt now put in some neat work and help his side to add another point, but just before the call of time, a foul goal was scored by Chadwick, a pleasant and enjoyable game ended in favour of Everton by 4 goals to 2. As Derby play their return match at Anfield-road on Saturday next no doubt the Everton spectators will receiver the good treatment their club enjoyed when at Derby.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 22 October 1888
Derby County, on Saturday, experienced another reverse, their vanquishers this time being Everton, who defeated them at Derby by four to two. They have now been defeated by Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion (twice), Accrington, and Everton, and against this they can only set a victory over Bolton Wanderers, and draw with Accrington. The game, on Saturday, was a fairly good one, though not worthy of the reputations of the teams, the forward play on both sides being weak. The score does not quite represent the play, as attack and defence were pretty equally divided, but Everton had somewhat the best of the luck. The losers played with a strong sunlight in their eyes during the first half, and the second goal was distinctly due to this cause, the ball travelling to Bestwick (from a long high shot by Farmer) in a direct line with the sun. He partly got rid of it, but Costley was up, and shot it through before he could quite clear. Costley played the best forward game on his side. Sugg was a frost in the centre, and the right wing were very much tampered by Roulstone, who played a champion half-back game. Similarly on the other side Farmer almost paralyzed the Derby right - wing, and was clearly always more than a match for Bakcwell. The two Placketts were the best pair on the field. They did the great bulk of the forward work for the home team, and both goals were scored from good centres Lol.  Of the halves, the best on the respective sides were Farmer and Roulston, whilst Ross was decidedly the best full back either team. Both goalkeepers defended well. The match was fairly contested, there being an absence of roughness on either side. Dick, the Everton player, against whom complaints of foul play have been made by Notts County to both the Football Association and the League, did not take part in the match

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 23 October 1888
On the ground of the former, before 4,000 spectators. Everton, by combined play, soon scored their first goal from the foot of Costley. The game became very fast, both goals being repeatedly visited. Denton had hard lines, but, owing the grand defence of Dick and Ross, could not score. From pass by Sugg, Chadwick scored a second goal. Score half-time: Everton, two goals; Denton, nil.  The play during second half was very fast. Everton added another goal, and eventually won by three goals to nil.

October 23 1888. The Liverpool Courier
Everton journey to Denton yesterday to take part in a match for the benefit of E.Bromily, who unfortunately had his leg broken whilst playing at the end of lest season. the following team faced each other . Everton:- Joliffe,, goal, Chadwick (a) and Ross (captain) backs, Weir, Fayer (t) and Farmer, half-backs, Costley, Chadwick (e) Sugg, McKinnon and Berry (a) forwards, :- Denton:- Lowe, goal, Cooke and Seddon backs, Edwards moffatt, and Clake half-backs, Walton Plant, Dowe Warnock and Seddon (t) forwards. 5000 people were present the home was late turning out, being half-an hour after the advertised time for kick off. Everton won the toss, and elector to play with the sun at their backs. The score at half time was Everton 2 Denton 0 final result Everton 3 goals denton 0.

October 29 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
Nearly 8000 Everton supporters put in an appearance at Anfield on Saturday to witness the above return fixture. The Derby executive, not being satisfied with their clubs decisive defeast by the Liverpoolians resolved at a meeting on Monday to send the strongest team possible to reverse the previous result; but this they were disappointed, as three of their first men-failed to put in an appearance at the last moment and the local team had to supply them with a substitute in Harbour who prove worthy of his place. On the other hand, Everton again played last week's eleven, with one exception Smalley being sufficiently recovered to take on his accustomed place between the posts. Ross again won the toss, and elected to play with a strong wind, at his back. Higgins kicked off. The home left were the first to become conspiouous and Williamson just cleared in the nick of time but from a return Sugg hit the bar twice with well directed shots, and then Derby left wing got away, and Needham beat Smalley with a good shot. Ross now went centre forward and Sugg partnered Dobson. This change worked well, and seemed to arouse the homesters, who kept raining in shots to Marshall but some time later before Ross was able to Equalised with a scorcher. Again Everton got up and Marshall had to give a corner to save his charge, which was nicely taken by Farmer, and McKinnon who was in waiting headed through a second goal for Everton. From the midfield kick L.Packett and Needham raced down, Dobson and Weir relieving and the leather was soon again in the Derby quarters by beautiful passing of the home right and centre, but Marshall was found on the alert, and L.Plackett called on Smalley, who threw away , Dobson enabled Everton to again invade Marshall's end, and McKinnon and Holt had the hardest of luck with their shots, the Derby custodian surpassing himself with his remarkable saves. Sugg having pulled up Higgins near in, Ross was soon at the other end and Marshall in saving conceding another corner. Which however, was worked clear, and the Derby left pair again got down but L.Packett was wide in the finish. Williamson saved Chadwick but Costley was lying handy and all but beat the custodian with an oblique shot. Two corners were nicely cleared by Derby but just before the whistle sounded for half-time, Marshall, in working a corner kick of Weir, put the leather to the foot of Watson who guided a third goal to the home team. Everton had the best of the play up to this stage, but had a fine goalkeeper against them, whose skill was duly noticed on taking up his position at the Oakfield-road end. Resuming the home forwards seemed to show up with greater dash against the wind, and soon assumed the command. Higgins and L.Plackett paid a flying visit to the visitors end to which Holt and Dobson attended, and then commenced a mean attack on Marshall's charge, which at length succumbed to McKinnon who beat that custodian for the fourth time. Followed by Ross kicking a fifth point a minute later and breasting goal six shortly afterwards. Chatterto having collided with Holt was useless for the remainder of the game. Again Ross was conscious in working a pass from Watson, but Marshall shook him off. Three corners having been cleared by Derby McKinnon was again soon in good work, taking the ball down in fine style and Marshall had to fist out two warm ones from him. L.Plackett at length was rewarded by screwing a second goal for his side amidst applause. Ross having headed a corner kick over the bar. L.Plackett again tried to augment the visitors score but Dobson cleared, and Holt saved a return under the bar. From now to the finish Everton completely hemmed in the visitors with spendid passing but failed to add to their total, one of the hardest games, so far as the homesters were concerned, again ending in favour of Everton by 6 goals to 2. Teams; Everton:- Smalley, goal, Dobson and Sugg, backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer half-backs, McKinnon, Watson. Ross (captain) Chadwick and Costley forwards. Umpire Berry (e) Derby County:- Marshall goal Williamson and Rowiston backs Harbour, Selvety, and Hopewell, half-backs Chatterton, Plackett (h) Higgins, Needham, and Plackett (l) forwards. Umpire Richardson, Referee Mr. Fairhurst (Bolton)

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 27 October 1888
That another Dundee recruit to the English professional ranks, Shruck Galbriath, of the Our Boys half-back line, has been secured by a Dundee agent for Everton where he is to occupy the position of centre half-back.  Galbraith was a good enough man, but we fancy that Everton will not care for him long.


October 29 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
These teams met for the second time this season at Hawthorn Road. About 1500 people witnessed the match. Milward opened play and Bootle were first to get near goal, but the attack was at once eased Briscoe beating woods a corner being only gained from Milwards kick. The game proceeded on even terms for a time and then Devlin, from the right nearly enabled Ferguson to score, Barbour heading into goal a moment later. Bootle again closed up in a threatening manner and on the ball being well played a warm tussle in the goalmouth gave the home team the laid, Joliffe succumbing to the scrimmages. Everton now put Howarth and Spencer on their mettle and, assisted mainly by the activity of Ross the invaders were well taken in hand Keys shooting over and nothing coming of a corner. replaying to a movement of the Bootle forwards Falls and Berry got up to goal on the left, and Keys making ample amends for a faulty appreciation of a previous pass scored a good goal for the visitors. Pollock headed clear from a free kick taken by Woods but Bootle at once returned though not permitted to become dangerous. Spencer sent well up the centre from which Everton raced on the left Fall's shot being handled whilst Briscoe went just outside in an excellent attempt. A corner however was forced and this being turned to account, the score stood in favour of Everton by 2 goals to 1. The closing incident of the first half being a fair attempt by Briscoe who was a little wide of the post in as ground shot. On resuming Everton gave hands, and had to fall back Morris's screw shot being taken out of its intended course by the wind,, a further shot meeting with no better success. Milward was then seen tussling with Woods and the latter getting the upper hand Bootle again made tracks for goal, Joliffe chucking out and in a moment Griffiths had to resort to a like maneuvers a return going over the bar. An aggressive action on Bootle's right caused anxiety relief coming from a corner placed by Morris and then Howarth cleverly beat Falls and stayed a rush. Morris following up and taking play inside the Everton quarters, from whence the visitors rushed down the centre, Griffiths failed to meet Milward's final kick and so gave Everton a further goal-a claim of offside not obtaining the approval of Mr Lamont. Moffatt kicking up, hands fell to Bootle in front of goal, But Everton were equal to the emergency, Keys in turn trying a long shot of merit from the right. A smart bit of forward play worked the ball hard in front of the visitors goal. Morris shooting in brilliantly, and from a free kick right in the goalmouth Bootle cleverly beat Joliffe. Everton then had a turn Griffiths kicking clear. Barbour and Morris headed a brisk run, and with great emergy infused in the game both ends rapidly reached. As the end came, Bootle pitched repeated hot scrimmages in front of Joliffe, but the defence proved ex-captionally strong and no opening being found for the rain of shots the home team had to accept a defeat in an even contest of 3 goals to 2. Teams Bootle Reserves:- Griffiths goal, Spencer and Howarth, backs, Dodd Moffatt and Woods (f) half-backs Morris (t) Devlin, Ferguson (f), Anderson (r), and Barbour (a) forwards. Everton Reserves:- Joliffe (c), goal, Chadwick (a) and Wharmby (h), backs, Fryer (t), Pollock (h) (captain), and Jones (wh), half-backs, Keys (j), Briscoe (w), Milward (a), Berry (a), and Falls (r) forwards.

October 29 1888. The Liverpool Mercury
In their return engagement with Derby County, Everton had a very easy task set before them to repeat their first success over the Peakities and instead of a score of 4 goals to 2 the margin was enlarged to the breath of 6 to 2, and might have been much wider had the Anfieldites deemed it necessary to avail themselves of the ever recurring chances. This was Everton's eight League contest and having now won five-Accrington, Notts County, Aston Villa and Derby County twice being their victims-they are fairly in the running for a high if not the highest position in the championship. Dick-who by the by, has got the advantage over Notts County officials in their complaint to the League of his conduct at Trent Bridge-had no place in the team for a second time Dobson again justifying his selection, and with Smalley in his old position between the posts instead of Joliffe the eleven was the same as did so well at Derby a week ago. On the converse of the shield, however, the visitors came with a quartet of different hands to these of the previous tussle with Everton. Marshall Habour Selvy, and Needham, Bestwick Lathron, Wright, and Bakewell-at the chances excepting Marshall, who was irreproachable in goal, cannot be voted an unadiluted success. With a sequence of bad fortunate, the Derby officials are experimenting to ascertain the spring of their weakness, which on Saturday proved in forwards and halfs. Everton had the advantage of a strong wind on opening operations, and Marshall dropped in for a lot of warm work, but still Needham breaking loose easily beat Smalley and that before the game was five minutes old. This aroused Ross to reform, he resorting to his usual tactic when matters are not running smoothly of himself taking charge of the centre Sugg then assisting Dobson in the back department. Ross soon drew up level with a shot of no indecision, McKinnon followed with a second goal and before half-time Marshall made Everton a great present of a third in attending to a corner. Though facing the wind, the home club continued to put goals on merrily will they had reached half a do on Ross laying claim to a couple, and McKinnon the remaining one. Whilst the last point of the match was accredited to L.Pickett, Dobson was the most useful, and finished back on the held Sugg doing satisforily in his new position as defence. Holt despite his injury at Derby, and which made it doubtful if he would be able to play taken premier honours at Half though Farmer and Weir ran him close. Ross was all right at centre,, but McKinnon who has evinced a gratifying improvement of late, was the most accomplished of the home forwards. Of the visitors L packett was far in front of his colleagues always excepting the goalkeepers.