February 1890


STOKE 4 EVERTON 2 (Fac Game 7)

February 3, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

On Saturday morning the Liverpoolians visited the pottery works and were very much interested in the chief business of the midland town. The weather was somewhat dull, but the rain held off, and there was every prospect of a good game. The teams as Follows; Stoke: - Rowley goal, Clarke, and Underwood, backs, Ramsey, Farmer, and Breodie, half-backs Simpson, Gee, Barker, Edge, and Dunn forwards. Everton: - Smalley, goal Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Referee C.S.Hughes

There was about 5,000 spectators on the field when the homesters took the kick off, Latta went away in elegant style until Underwood robbed him. Milward and Chadwick indulged in a little bit of their pretty business, and Holt grandly assisted them. They however, managed to work down, and the ball was kicked over the line. Simpson and Gee on the home left wing found their way down, but could not detect a flaw in the defence, and the Everton left responded in spendid fashion. Underwood gave a corner, which Latta, and sent in badly, Smalley saved a tough shot, from C.Baker's toes, and then for some little time the home men were anything but in the hunt. Rowley however, was in one of his best moods, and remained impregnable. He had some hard shots to prevent from going though, but he succeeded by dint of clever work in keeping his change intact. Milward was given the ball when near Rowley and promptly missed a very good chance. This was at once replied to by Stoke, and after a little scrimmage in dangerous quarters Edge headed through and drew first blood. The visitors were not to be downcast at these reserves, but strove hard to equalize matters, the ball being sent in often enough, but going anywhere but through the posts. Geary sprinted along very finely, and lost the ball, when close to the aim of his desires. Others had shots, but the home defence remaining unbroken, Clare and Underwood kicking out well. Chadwick had a shy with a difficult slow screw shot, the ball hitting the crossbar. Rowley just before half-time had to save, when Chadwick, Milward and Geary were upon him. He did it, however, and was heartily cheered. Hard lines for Everton brought the score stood- Stoke 1 goal, Everton nil.

The first point of interest in the play was a speedy run by Gee, who lost a good opportunity with only the goalkeeper in front of him. The visitors were constantly threatening and it was something disheartening to see many good things thrown away. Stoke tried to get along, but a magnificent speedy rush on the part of Chadwick, Milward and Geary returned the ball, and at the conclusion Rowley had to fall in order to avert the ball. The Homesters went away on one of their short visits to their opponents territory, and Smalley was applauded for a very fine rescue. Immediately afterwards pressing attention paid to him by several men compelled him to permit the ball to go through. The score was two to nil against Everton, and the aspect of the game was not too cheerful, as the visitors possessed all the play but could not score, whilst the home men took all the luck. At length success did attend their efforts, Milward shooting through from a Geary pass. Only a few minutes elapsed before the ball was again put past Rowley, Geary doing the trick. After fine play the Stoke forwards rushed down, forced Smalley to save well, and then while he was unprepared they rattled the ball through. In a very short time the sphere was moved to the Everton end although it had been palpably fouled twice, and Doyle in taking his kick sent the ball towards Smalley and as several Stoke men at once on the goalkeeper, he could not help allowing the leather to pass him. Final Result Stoke 4 goals Everton 2 goals.



February 3, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

There was only a moderate attendance on the Everton ground to witness the above match. The ground was very heavy when Tasker kicked off for the visitors. Everton had the best of the opening exchanges, and Abbott shot a little wide of the posts. Keeping up the attack corners fell to the home team in quick succession, but nothing tangible accrued. Martin was cheered for neatly robbing Tasker, and Cain put in a hugh kick, to no purpose. At length the visitor's right wing broke away, but Hammond returned and the visitor's goal had a narrow escape, Tinsley just keeping out two grand shots. Everton were decidedly the sharper team on the heavy ground, the visitors shaping badly against the strong defence. Cain gave them a chance by missing his kick but Weir easily checked the advance of the Southport front rank. Play continued in the same lines, bad shooting only preventing the homesters from putting on a big score. At length after Martin and Cain had tried long shots, Jones beat Tinsley with a high shot, which ought to have been stopped. The kick-off did not bring relief the homesters having all the game and Abbott sent in a grand shot from the touchline, which was within an ace of taking effect. Cain repeated the performance with a hugh kick from the half-way line, which struck the crossbar. Tinsley was cheered for keeping out a grand shot from Tibbotts. Halsall had a tussle with Weir, in which he came of best, but Martin coming to the rescue gave the leather to his forward again, who continued to do everything but score. Half-time Everton Reserves 1 goal Southport Central Old Boys nil. Everton kicked off and at once attacked, a corner falling to them, which was abortive. Not to be denied a fierce onslaught took place and Orr made amends for his previous bad shooting by beating Tinsey with a clinking shot. The ground was now in a dreadful condition being several inches thick with mud, and prevented either team from showing anything like combination. The visitors were the worse in this respect, their efforts being most feeble. The visitors broke away and Tasker made the best effort for his side that had been made so far. It was really a grand run and deserved a successful result. It was only a flash, for the homesters were soon in front, and Orr put his side three goals in front with a fast shot. Hammond who had gone forward made a good shot, which was well saved by Tinsley. At length Southport broke away, and after a good run Melrose beat Joliffe, who had not been called upon before. A foul was given right in the goalmouth against the visitors, but a corner, but a corner was the only result. Tasker again put in a good run, but shot wide. The visitors were now shaping better, and Monks scored a second time, owing to a mistake of Joliffe, who left his charge and gave him a clear field. Everton next attacked, and Orr beat Tinsley for the fourth time. Final Result Everton Reserves 4 goals Southport Central Old Boys 2 goals.



February 3, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton, it seems are doomed to disappointment in their pursuit of cups. There was a good hope once that more than one cup would find its way to the Everton headquarters, but the possibilities are now reduced to one, and that the local trophy, before they hold which Bootle have to be reckoned with. In these competitions history repeats itself. Everton beat the Rovers twice in the League, but fail when it is a cup-tie, and so with Stoke who beaten both at home and away by Everton, avenge themselves by depriving the Anfielders of further honours this season in connection with the National Cup. Such are the fortunes of war, however, Everton were badly beaten, and Stoke are to be congratulated on their triumph, in which for once luck played a useful part. The Potters were certainly luckily, and Everton unfortunate, for, with the exception of the last ten minutes, the losers fairly penned the winners in their own quarters. But it was not all luck that accounted for victory, Rowley was in goal, and was in one of his most effective tantalizingly effective moods, and stopped most of the good things offered by Everton. Smalley on the other hand, was not at his best, and should in the opinion of most onlookers, have prevented two shots going through. Both Hannah and Doyle did a lot of successful work, Parry did the biggest share of the halfback tackling. The forwards were grand at times, and experienced frequently the hardest of hard lines. Whilst Latta got lained soon after the start, and was thus handicapped, henceforth. Stoke all round played a determined game, and therein, if for nothing else, deserved success, though certain it is that the best team on this particular occasion, did not win. There was a good crowd; including a trainful of excursionists from Liverpool, and so Everton have a golden solarium of about £75. Next Saturday they visit Burnley and will have another stiff job in hand, for Burnley, like Stoke, is an improving team.



Febraury 5, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

We are informed on the best authority that Cox, late custodian for the Burnley F.C. will make his appearance as a member of the Everton team very shortly. The fact that Cox had signed an agreement to play with the Anfield club next season was generally known some time ago but in view of the fact that it has been thought desirable in official quarters to obtain his active services earlier, if possible, strenuous attempts are being made to place him between the sticks much sooner than was generally anticipated. We understand that the Burnley executive have signified their willingness to withdraw their claim upon Cox, and at the meeting of the English Association to held in London this (Wednesday) evening, the Everton officials will requested to be permitted to include the Scotchman in their ranks for the remainder of the present season. The Everton v Burnley postponed League match will be played on the ground of the latter next Saturday but even if the English Association gives the requested permission for Cox to play, it is exceedingly improbable that he will figure against his recent clubmates, but will at a later opportunity exhibits his talents to the Everton supporters.



February 5,1890. The Liverpool Courier

The president of the Everton Football Club (Councillor J.Hounding) last evening entertained the players of the club to a supper at the Sandon Hotel Anfield. Mr. Houlding occupied the chair, and Dr. Flynn Messrs Albert Smith, J.B.Maxwell, F. Currier, and J.Webster supported him. At the conclusion of the meal the Chairman, in proposing “success to Football” said he had heard many rumors as to the cause of the Lancashire and English Cup ties having been lost by the Everton team. He was glad to say that he did not place the slightest faith in any of those reports, but attributed the defeats of the team to loss of “Form.” There were times when a player, no matter how careful he might be, lost his condition. It was impossible for a man to keep in the pink of perfection for weeks together although he might apparently be enjoying the best of health; it would be found that occasionally he was greatly affected on the football field if suffering from the least complaint. He impressed upon the players the necessity of visiting their good friend Dr. Flynn whenever they felt out of sorts and in the manner of deavour to keep sufficiently healthy for their football duties. In conclusion, he said that although they had lost some ground in public estimation he hoped they would work hard to retrieve their fortunes by attaining that position which the strongest English clubs aspired to-the top of the League. (Hear hear). Mr. Andrew Hannah speaking as captain on behalf of the team coincided with the views that Mr.Houlding had given expression, to and still he was sure they would all put forth great efforts in order to reach the honoured position alluded to. A pleasant musical programme was afterwards submitted amongst those who contributed to the general enjoyment being Messrs A.Smith, A. latta, R Stockton, J.Stainford, G Youngson, and W.Bailey the last mentioned acting as accompanist in his usual finished manner.



February 5, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

We have received several letters on this subject some of them couched in language considerably most forcible than polite, and other making very insulting suggestions as to why Everton lost the match. It is suggested that if some explanation be not forthcoming Everton will lose many of its supporters, and the play of Everton on Saturday is described as a “sorry display.” No doubt the friends of the Everton players will be able to explain their failure.



February 7, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The executive of the Everton Football Club have been successful in their negotiation's for a new goalkeeper, and have secured Cox, late of Burnley, for the remainding of this season, and as they have got his transfer sanctioned by the Council of the Football Association, he will appear at Anfield-road to-morrow to keep goal against South Shore.



February, 10 1890. The Liverpool Courier

This League match was played at Burnley on Saturday in splendid football weather in the presence of about 6,000 spectators' great interest apparently being centre in the match. The ground, owing to frost, was somewhat hard. The Everton team was precisely the same as that defeated at Stoke, and the teams was as follows; Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Parry, half-backs, Latta Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burnley: - Smith goal, Berry, and Lang backs, McFettridge, White, and Kennan, half-backs Haresnape, McColl, Lambie, Stewart, and Hill forwards. Messrs Kersley, and W.Sugg umpires, and Mr. Fitroy Norris, referee. The kick off was made at ten minutes past three by Everton, who played with the sun at their backs. The Burnley right made an advance, which Hannah promptly dealt with. Brady and Latta went down in pretty form, and the last named sent a neat shot along, which was rather too slow through Doyle staying too far down with the ball. A catastrophe seemed near at hand as the homesters getting hold, rattled up and beat the remaining back, a shot from Stewart just passing over the bar. A useless corner fell to the visitors, and than the Everton forwards, Brady being particularly brilliant and an attempt did some exceedingly smart work by him just cleared the crossbar. The same player had another shy, which was well averted by Smith. The Burnley boys then took up the running and missed a grand chance the ball being mulled by three players, who only had Smalley to face. Play was fast and exciting and one team was up to this point quite as good as the other. The home team made a capital rush, and Lambie was offered a good opening, but Hannah stepped in and cleared the danger. The Burnley team made another menace, and then the Evertonians went down with a dash Smith saving from Milward, and Chadwick shooting over. Geary spoiled a fair chance by handling the ball. The homesters took a short stay in proximity to their opponents goal, and on one occasion Smalley was applauded for an extremely difficult rescue, the ball having been passed to Lambie who was in the goalmouth, and who shot in. The visitors now took a turn at threatening, and Latta gave Smith a handful. This was accepted, and then Brady shot in, the ball going through after a transient scrimmage, but the point was not given, evidently on account of Milward obstructing the goalkeeper. The game was retained now in the Burnley territory, the passing of the visiting forwards being a revelation to the spectators, but they did score through neglecting to shoot when in front. The scene of action changed, and the defence of the visitors was severely taxed. Geary eventually succeeded in breaking away at his usual scorching pace, but he finished up with a wonderfully bad attempt. The homesters struck to there work with great persistency without avail, many shots, chiefly from Hill, being got away by the backs, who were playing in hard style. Smalley was called upon to execute one of the most arduous tasks he ever had to perform, and he did it with credit, as when lying upon the ground with two men upon him, he removed the ball, and when it was immediately sent in again, he jumped up and knocked it over the line. The home team now claimed all attention, and battered away at the defence of the antagonists with great vigour, but without any better result. Just before half-time arrived, a grand long shot was propelled by Berry, and Hannah admirably saved it by kicking over the line. Half time result-no goals scored. The home team at once took up the attack on starting, and it looked odds, in favour of their hance of scoring, but the backs were on the spot not a second too early. Latta managed to shake himself free, and the sphere was passed across the goalmouth, no one, however, picking it up. Geary put in a fine sprint, and this time it seemed certain that the visitors would score, Latta and Brady having opportunities, but the goalkeeper would not be defeated. The peppering at Smith was sustained for some minutes, and then the globe was removed to the opposite end, where White made a splendid endeavour to score from a long range, Smalley cleverly saving. At once the scene of operations was interially altered, and Latta sent in a beautiful long, low shot, which Milward could not complete. The ball was transferred rapidly from end to end, and the game was most exciting. Burnley obtained some grand positions, which they could not improve upon. After really commendable play, Latta and Brady got away, the last mentioned kick in. Smith repelled and Chadwick promptly returned, with the desired effect. Emboldened by this success the visitors labored with rare dash, and Smith saved a fine shot, after grand runs by Milward and Latta. Amid cries of “play up” the Burnley team strove had to equalise and they forced a corner, which was devoid of gain to them. They went down time after time, with no better fortune, Doyle and Hannah being in good trim. Play was beginning to rule somewhat rough and combination for some little time did not seen to be considered. The visiting forwards, being excellently fed by Holt, who was in his best form, went up in nice combined syle, but Smith would not accept defeat. Final result Everton 1 goal, Burnley nil



February 10, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

This match was played in beautifully fine weather, before a good attendance, on the Everton ground. Interest was centre, in Cox, the new goalkeeper, who had a grand reception, and early in the game showed his great ability in his position. The visitors kicked off, and play for some time settled down in the centre. The visitors were the first to make headway, Cox just clearing a most difficult shot, for which he was deservedly cheered. Gosling neatly stopped the home front rank Nidd disappointing his admires by kicking over the bar. A grand run by the visitor's left wing presaged danger Elston being the chief performer; but Cox again saved in champion form. Elston repeated his performance, and shot onto the bar, the leather bouncing out of the reach of Cox, and Wilson headed through; a lucky goal and one, which Cox had no chances to stop. Hardly had the cheers died away, when Orr made a grand dribble up the centre and shot just wide, to the evident chagrin of the home supporters. The homesters putting all in, gave the visitors defence lots of work, R Jones sending in a good shot, which Langley hampered by Orr, only justed clear. Godwin returned, and an exciting scrimmage took place. From which a futile corner resulted. The home right broke away, and R.Jones made a grand run, finishing with a long shot which beat Langley and put his side on equal terms. Encouraged by the success, Everton stormed the visitors fortress in a vigorous manner, shots by Godwin and Hammond only just missing their mark. Again Abbott sent in a hot one, which Langley fisted away, only to see Abbott return out of his reach, but fortunately for him the ball struck the bar. A foul was given against Nidd in a dangerous position, Nidd missing his kick, Cox was put in a difficulty, which he surmounted, in grand style and what seemed to be a certain goal was turned into a corner from which nothing accrued. South Shore had a turn, and the left wing rushed the leather into the Everton goalmouth, Cox saved once, but the leather was returned from the right out of the reach, making the score at half time South Shore 2 goals Everton 1. Everton kicked off, and at once pressed. “Hands” against the visitors was given in front of goal, but the danger was averted and play settled down in the centre. Godwin although very light tackled pluckily, and twice had the best of a tussle with a burly opponents; he sent in several shots to Langley, which the latter player had some difficulty in negotiating. A grand pass by R.Jones to Abbott was taken advantage of and the latter player centred equally well, Godwin spoiling a good bit of play by kicking high over the bar. Cain, who was playing a grand game at back effectual, spoiled several raids by the visitor's front ranks, and giving his forwards lots of chances. The visitors defence although not quite so neat, was strong, and nothing tangible accrued from runs by Orr, Godwin, and Abbott, although good shooting ended them. The Shore had a turn, and Cox had to throw out a shot from the foot of Parkinson. Both sides continued to play in good style, the shooting being much better than usual. Everton were having slightly the best of it, and corners fell to then in quick succession but they could not break through the strong defence of the visitors. Cain was repeatedly cheered for his grand kicking, and he kept play in the visitors half for a long time. The homesters as the time drew to a close, made great efforts to score, Godwin and Abbott being noticeable for their sterling play. The visitors made a strong attack, a lot of shots being sent in, but Weir, Cain and Cox defended in champion form. Final result South Shore 2 Everton Reserves 1.



February 10, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton were again at Burnley on Saturday and decided the league match at Turf Moor, deferred a couple of months ago owing to fog. They gained the day, and are thus still in a possible position to be champions of the League, to which they will now concentrate all their efforts since the English Cup concerns them no more this season. In regard to the rumour that Everton had logged a protest against Stoke, we are assured by Mr. Molyneux that no fee has been tendered by him, a formality that is necessary before protest are entertained. Everton have no intention of doing so, and will offer no impediment to Stoke, having beaten them, entering the next round. There is a bonefide case, they believe, for the suspension of Stoke, but they will bother no further in the matter. The Association may, however, on their own account prosecute. To turn to Everton's latest League success, the game was played before a large and aggravating crowd, and Burnley all round infused a deal of doubtful work into their play. The first half was warmly contested, both defences beening sorely tried, and the interval arrived with a clean sheets. Burnley, perhaps having had the most shies although they may thank the referee for saving their charge by his conciliatory spirit of entertaining claims by the homesters. The second stage commenced furiously and after many attempts Latta dashed through, crossing to Brady, who beat the Burnley custodian, but for some cause, not made apparent the point was disallowed, However, Brady, Geary, and Latta, well backed up by the halves, and Doyle and Hannah were soon at goal again. Latta beat Lang and Geary took the pass, when Smith fisted his shot out, but Chadwick was ready to meet the return, and scored the only goal in the match. Strenuous efforts were made afterwards, particularly by Everton to alter the score record, but it was all in vain. For the winners Smalley was seen to great advantage than at Stoke and was much better defended by the backs and half-backs, who one and all played a great game. Among the forwards the right combination was always a dominant factor, the wing with Geary being almost perfect, and Brady showing some of his best characteristics. The left had less work to do, but were generally found to be ready for it. When it came their way. In short the team through played to win, and were rewarded. In the exertions of Burnley to stave off another League defeat, Smith was a champion custodian. Lang and Berry were very safe, although the former was a bit “shady” with his tackling. The half-backs were strong; and of the forwards McColl was decidedly off-colour and Lambie was too well attended to by Holt, who broke up the combination of Burnley time after time; whilst Hasnape and Hill very active, were mainly responsible for the frequency in which Everton's defence was put on the mettle. Altogether Burnley are a powerful for just now, and with a fair amount of luck, which has hitherto been denied them, they will have some good victories yet to record. At home Everton Reserves team were a goal inferior to South Short, with Cox keeping goal for the Anfielders. As regards Cox, Mr. Molyneux achieved a smart piece of business. He went to Leith on Tuesday brought back, the ex-Burnley goalkeeper with him, went to London on Wednesday, getting the Association's permission to play Cox. Then assured Mr. Lythgoe about his papers, and attended the League on Friday also obtaining their assent and so all the formalities of a complete transfer were effected in four days. Everton have now two good goalkeepers, and are well prepared for emergencies. As the League fixture with West Bromwich Albion is sub Judaic, Everton will not play them next Saturday as it present determined and most probably will be either Glasgow against Third Lanark or the Rangers, or Grimsby. There will therefore, be nothing a home to clash with the cup-tie at Bootle.



Febuarty 12, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The “football” match arranged between a number of the pantomine artistes who have been appearing at the Liverpool threates and the League team of the Everton Football Club was played yesterday in splendid weather on the Anfield road ground. The affair caused as much interest as last year and there would be about 8,000 people present, so that the proceeds to be handed over to the Stanley Hospital will amount to a fair sum. The fun and frolic commenced at two o'clock with very amusing antics by the members of the Fenner and Johnson Minstrel Troups from St James's hall when entertained the spectators with songs, in strumental selections, etc. then, by permission of Major Gough the lance and sword exercises were gone through by a detachment of the 9 th Lancers. A selection of music, given by a good band under the direction of Mr.F.Wright, conductor of the Shakesperae Theatre orchestra followed and then the fierce battles for the championship of Liverpool connenced, the recent defeat of the Evertonians at Stoke giving the theatricals great hopes of repeating the dose. The costumes worm by the histories made a very gay, but to the frequenters of the ground a very incongruous picture. To ensure the success of the artistes a good defence was obtained about eight embryo Trainors Rowleys etc, putting themselves between the “sticks” and one (not the Everton “bird” lamenting over the loss of the English cup) perching himself on the crossbar with the evident intention of doing as little as possible. The trident and net which proved so useful last year in saving goals was abandoned, probably because the Association did not consider it legal. The most charming disregard for the stringent laws of the most potent Associations was observed and the artistes, who numbered over a score, handled the leather with the utmost freedom. The apparently impenetrable gallant of goalkeepers quickly received a rude shock from Geary, who sent in one of his “hot ones” He was promptly given into custody but his plea seemed to be successful and the policeman released him, Kirkwood scored a second goal, and that Coyle kindly gave the ball to the pantonminists and they scored twice and then a third time from a well scrimmage in which about twenty people were concerned and for a few minutes nothing but limbs frantically jerking about could be seen. Geo Farmer, Mike Higgins and Bob Watson were included in the theatrical team, but the characters they delineated were beyond criticism. A “bear” jumping on Charlie Parry's back as if to devour him, the referee (Mr.R.E.Lythgoe) being mopped and threatened when allowing Everton a goal, and Cox endeavoring to perform a pas soul on the ball in front of goal, were other items in the play, the last mentioned proving a great “hit” on the floor. A small balloon was substituted for the leather globe at half time, but as the players displayed entire inability to soar and play a good combined game in the air, the innovations was vetoed. A decided failure and the usual order of things was reverted to. The “special” constable carried out his duty with great zeal in charging the Everton players with offences against the rules and one by one the members of the team were conducted off the field until only four were left. The result was left an impenetrable mystery although some people were venturous to hazard the guess that it was a draw of five goals each. It this be true, then the championship remains still unsettled. The amount taken yesterday at the gates was £232 9s, and to this will be added a very substantial sum scoring from the sale of the tickets, less expenses.



February 17, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

As a result of the severe blow which the Everton team received at Stoke a fortnight ago in the second round of the English Cup contest, several dates which had been left open for later stages of the competition had to be filled up much to the disgust and chagrin of earnest Evertonians, who were thoroughly imbued with the idea that the Anfield men would be seen fighting for possession of the pot at the Oval. It was rumored at the end of last week that to day the Everton Football Club would again travel to Scotland in order to meet 3 rd Lanark but it was found that this would clash with the final tie for the Scottish Cup. The Glasgow Rangers, whose dashing play has made them great favorites at Anfield, accordingly agreed to come down and renew that acquaintance with the Liverpoolians. The ground was very muddy and the rain was falling when the teams went on the field, in the presence of about 3,000 spectators, Everton played the usual team with the exception that Cox was in goal, and the teams was as follows; Everton : - Cox goal Hannah (Captain) and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - McCorkindale, goal, Hunter, and Hendry backs, Marshall, McIntyne and McPherson half-backs Wyllie, McCheadie, Low, Henderson, and Gow forwards. The kick off was taken promptly and for a few minutes the visitors attacked. They were soon removed, however, and the other side took up the attack. Geary was loudly cheered for a magnificent run, but he was unable to take full advantage of it, as he was balked on the goal line. Five minutes after the start following upon some movement “in front of goal, Brady scored the first point with a neat shot. A minute later Milward missed a splendid opening afforded by a pass by Geary. Play continued to rule very much in favour of the homesters, Latta and Brady playing particularly well. The game was nearly all in the visitor's territory and a corner was forced by Geary without anything practical accuring from it. Another corner was obtained and Latta kicked nicely into the goalmouth, from whence after a few short passes, Brady scored the second goal. Beautiful passing movements were executed by the home forwards, and an admirable shot propelled by Chadwick at a short range was furly put by McCorkindale. Good attempts followed by Geary and Latta and then Holt scored with a capital long effort. Immediately on the kick-off the visitors went away, and when Doyle missed his kick low quickly saw his opportunity, and banged the ball through Cox making a poor endeavour to arrest its progress. The homesters took up this smart work as the globe was rushed away by Milward who shot across, Latta completing the work, a claim for offside not being upheld. Still the home men were more than holding their own the slippery ground, however, being held accountable for the score not been increased. Gow failed at a good chance, upon which the Everton men went right down, and McCorkindale was cheered for rescuing a couple of difficult shots, coming immediately after each other from Milward and Latta, the first being a clever oblique shot. Milward and Geary were in good shooting form, but found the goalkeeper a little too much for them after the above event. Hannah checked a very smart forward movement on the part of the Rangers and this was followed by some of Holt's tricky dodging, which was awarded applause. The Everton backs were much more at their case on the have ground than the opposing backs, and all attacks by the visitors were promptly repelled. When at close quarters, Latta headed over, and Milward also topped the crossbar, when there was a grand chance. Everton had all the play up to half time, the score stood - Everton 4 goals Rangers 1 goal.

From the restart the home team dash along in perfect style the whole line of forwards falling to their work with almost mechanical regularity, a truly grand piece of play terminating with a shot by Brady, the ball, however, flying over the bar. The Rangers threatened the home defence for some minutes but failed to make any impression, the backs, Holt especially playing in excellent fashion. Milward received a pass near the half way line, and slipped away at a rare pace, his concluding shot, which was as scorching as his run, beating the goalkeeper. No sooner had the kick off been made when Geary rushed away and scored, but the referee had sounded his whistle owing to Holt being temporarily incapacitated by a kick on his right ankle. Ensuing play was vastly in favour of the homesters who were going in their best form, the only fault to find with them that the shots were not sufficiently accurate. While Geary in attempting to make two grand chances easier altogether lost his opportunity. At length the defence was broken dowm Chadwick gaining the sixth point while Latta looked after the goalkeeper. The Rangers now obtained a very good position, but were unable to utilize it, their shooting previously lacking in precision. McCorkindale was cheered for a fine save, and his performance between the sticks was greatly admired all through. The visitors gained a futile corner, and then Latta and Brady caused the goalkeeper serious apprehension as to the safety of his charge by fine tricky passing, but they could not get past him. Brady scored the eight goal. Final result Everton eight goals, Rangers one.



February 17, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

On Saturday Everton Reserves took a journey to Wavertree to play off their return fixture with Edgehill. The ground was in a very dirty condition, owing to the rain that fell in the morning and, the gate suffered in consequence. It was four o'clock when Orr started the ball for Everton, play being immediately taken into Edgehill's quarters. Brown relieved with a splendid run on the left, changing the venue completely but Godwin returned, and play was confined in the centre for some time. Godwin at length broke the monotony with a smart run on the right, causing some sharp play in front of Edgehill goal, and after shot after shot had been sent in, Hammond at last succeeded in putting one past Whgitehead. No sooner had the ball been started again than Everton were to the front Weir calling upon Whitehead to save. A second later and another was sent in from the toe of Dick Jones, which was impossible to stop. Everton still kept up the pressing play, being confined in the home team's quarters. Edgehill only occasionally making flying visits to their opponent's goal. From a corner taken by Weir, Cain scored the third goal for Everton. Half time Everton Reserves 3 goals Edgehill nil.

On crossing over Edgehill at once made an attack on Everton's goal, a nice passing movement being shown between Kelly, Wilson and S.Tibbott, and when within shooting distance Kelly shot. Hay failing to negotiate. A foul against Edgehill right in the goalmouth looked dangerous, but Whitehead saved splendidly, and Kelly, racing down the field at full speed, forced a corner, which proved abortive. Final result Everton Reserves 4 goals Edgehill 1 goal.



February 17 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton had another off day on Saturday, and their worthy foremen were the Glasgow Rangers. It was originally intent that the Liverpool eleven should go to Scotland, but the Scots Association had ordered the final for the national trophy to be fought out at Ibrox Park, the Rangers had no other course open for them but to make their appearance at Anfield. This being the only meeting of the two clubs since the visitors then, defeated the Anfielders in the English cup tie by 2 goals to 1, great satisfaction was expressed that Mr. Molyneux had secured the light blues but sudden changes in the weather somewhat damaged the ardour' of the followers of the Everton, as there were only some 6,000 spectators. Considering that the ground was on the soft side, the contest right through was a fine exposition of the game, and gave the spectators an inkling the sterling qualities of the Everton team, this season. Low set the ball in motion, and it was only seen that the battle was going to be carried on at a brisk rate. Exchange were soon made, and after Cox had worked a fine effort by Gow, the home right and centre bore down McCorkindale who succumbed to Brady five minutes from the start, and that player soon added a second goal from a corner kick by Latta. The whole of the visitors power being taxed to the utmost in straying to get a point, some clever play was consequently witnessed, but the home defence was stubborn and Holt added a third goal, with a long lob. Before half time Low notched a point for Rangers, and Latta a fourth for Everton. The whole of the second half, was a repetition of the first, with the exception that the Rangers did no scoring and a grand game ended in a win for Everton by 8 goals to 1. The losers all round were a very formidable lot but if anything the custodian was too light. The backs and halves were reliable and both Hendry and McPherson were greatly liked, the forwards gave some fine attacking pieces of play, and it was mainly due to the back play of Hannah and Doyle that they did not increase their score. The Everton defence showed up grandly all round, and if they can only do the same against Accrington next Saturday victory is assused, but Kirkwood and Parry tackled and dew well. The forwards played up to a man, and showed their opponents that they are a team, which can hold their own against all comers. Infact their passing was prefect, and has not only sent them high up in the estimation of their supporters, but has rekindled a reasonable hope that they will be at the top of the much covered league hat.



February 24, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

This, the nineteenth League match for Everton, was played on Saturday at Accrington in dull weather, there being about 6,000 spectators, about 1,500 of whom journeyed from Liverpool. Everton played the same team as on the previous Saturday and the Accrington team their same as that which appeared at Anfield . Everton: - Cox goal, Hannah (Captain) and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Accrington: - Lindsay, goal, Stevenson, and McLellan, backs, Pembertton, Gallacher, and Tattersall halfbacks, Entwistle, Wilkinson, Barbour, Kirkham, and Pendergast forwards. The visitors kicked off, and took the ball away down the field, where it was kicked over the line. Milward and Chadwick made the most of their opportunities, and an invasion was made with no better effect. Then the homesters retaliated with spirits and Wilkinson had a fine chance, which he nullified by kicking over the line, a trick, which was, repeated a minute or two later by Entwistle, who was offered a grand opening. Some few exchanges occurred in the Accrington territory and the homesters gaining possession dashed off, and scored, Entwistle just putting the leather underneath the crossbar when Cox could scarcely be expected to clear it. A clever and exceedingly dangerous movement was made by the home left as soon as the kick off was taken, and it seemed as if another point would result, but Doyle splendidly checked the rush. The play was somewhat desultory the only relief for a few minutes being a smart run by Latta. Following upon this the home right broke away, and Pendergast propelled grandily from a long run. Cox held the ball, and then threw it out, but Entwistle was on the alert and promptly impelled the leather through off his body. Chadwick and Milward dribbled well down and forced a corner, which was barren of fruit. The Visitors now warmed to their work, and gave the Accringtonians some extremely difficult duties to perform in defending, Geary sent in a hot one, which took Lindsay all his time to clear, and Latta gave the goalkeeper a good handful. Some smart maneuvers were made in the same quarters and Brady missed a good offer, the homesters eventually cleared a way for themselves. Doyle giving a foul, Geary got hold and carried down three quarters the length of the field, until Stevenson and the goalkeeper only were left to face him, the back luckily getting in his kick and thus spoiling a magnificent piece of execution. Ill fortune dogged the steps of the Evertonians with great persistence, as Lindsay was lucky enough to repel a shot from Latta who was only a couple of yards off. The home team now took a turn at the pressure business and Cox had to free himself of the ball on there occasions. The Accrington were at this period having much the best of matters, the visitors not being able to shake themselves loose. From a pass Kirkham scored a third goal, and fourth was notched a couple of minutes later, just before half time, by Gallacher the visiting custodian being unprepared, as he had immediately before kicked the ball out. Half time result Accrington 4 goal, Everton nil. After the restart the Evertonians claimed all attention, and Lindsay had to keep his eyes open. Kirkwood sent in a ball, a long shot, but it only shared the fate of many previous. Well meant and successful attacks, all their intentions was spoiled, and the smartness of the homesters broke up their combination. Later on Milward transferred to the other end, where Brady, with a high fast shot, broke the ice for Everton. Again the visitors went to the fore, Milward and Chadwick being very prominent, but Lindsay was invulnerable, some of the saves he made being marvelous. He was forced to go under at last however, as after fisting out he failed to stop the return by Geary. Hannah at this point of the game was very brilliant, and prevented his antagonist from getting off time after time. The “Reds” could not make more than a temporary incursion and eventually the Evertonians dashed off at a great pace, Brady scoring with a shot similar to his other. The excitement was now at a high pitch, and sanguine conjectures of a draw, and perhaps a win, were indulged in by the Liverpool spectators, but there were not realised. Final result Accrington 5 goals, Everton 3 goals.



February 24, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

There was only a scantly attendance on the Everton ground to witness the above match. The ground was in better condition than of late, and a good game was anticipated, Accrington were late, and it was four'o'clock when Orr kicked off for Everton. Godwin and Hammond were the first to show prominently, a shot from the latter just missing its mark. Everton for some time had the best of the play and Godwin centring neatly, Abbott out on the first point, to the evident delight of the Everton supporters. Keeping up the pace Everton give the visitors' defence lots or work, Godwin being very tricky, and sending in some good shots. The Red s' right broke away, and beating Farmer, ran right to the home goal, but before they could shoot, Cain came to the rescue, and relieved with a hugh kick, for which he was deservedly cheered. Hammond who lost time shooting, had hard lines and two long ones both just going over the bar. The visitor's right again broke away, and giving Shuttleworth the leather, enabled him to beat Joliffe with a high shot, onto that he should certainly have stopped. The homesters kicked off, and took ball right in front of the visitor's fortress, and Orr neatly headed the second for Everton. Both sides shaped well, and the game became very exciting, Howarth having to gave on several occasions, but Cain did not gave the Reds any opportunities for testing Joliffe. Orr gave the visiting goalkeeper more work than he could do finishing with a grand shot which completely beat him, and put his side two in front. The homesters now completely penned the “Reds” in, and rained shot after shot at the goal without proving their score. Half-time arrived with the score Everton Reserves 3goal Accrington Reserves 1.



February 24, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton journeyed tom Accrington on Saturday to play of their return League fixture, and came back beaten so far as goals count. But to disgraced as they had anything but their share of the claims made by their umpire. The first two goals were well deserved, but the third one was put through by Barbour's arm, a claim for this infringement not being entertained by the referee although acknowledge by the player. Taking the goal getting as the run of the game it would seen that Everton was now playing up to their full pitch, but such is not the case as, the visitors had their share of the game, but were not enforce in getting the ball between the posts. The second stage saw Everton at once in front of Lindsay, who was beaten by Latta with a scrothcer. A claim that Brady-who be it understood never torched the ball-was offside was at once given, too greatly to the chagrin of the visiting players. Not to be done with this refereeing, Everton again prevented the homesters from getting over the half line and Brady, from accurate passes by Latta beat Lindsay twice, and Geary soon added third, after Latta had called on Lindsay to steer a grand shot. Try as they would Everton could not equalise and Wilkinson taking advantage of the whole of the Evertonians lying in the goalmouth, dashed along with the ball, and crossed to Pendergast, who after steadying the ball with his hands, added a fifth goal, a claim for hands again sharing the same fate as its predecessors. The game all round was a quick one, and what luck then was to be had favored the home club. For the defeated Hannah and Doyle were never found wanting, and it was owing to the long high kicking of the Accringtonians that the goal were got. Holt and Kikrkwood were superior to Parry, who seemed a bit off. The forwards with the exception of Chadwick and Geary-the latter of whom was more for his bedroom than the football field, were always striving to effect a win and the style in which Latta and Brady worked the ball was a treat to the spectators. The winners all round played hard although not perfect, the backs were never able to cope with the attackers in close quarters and it was generally left to Lindsay to defy the Evertonians their raid, which he did, in such a finished style, that as a goalkeeper he has few equals. Gallacher and Pemberton were safer than Tattersall, at half-backs, and forward Wilkinson was heads above the others, he being the means of four goals being put on by his side. Barbour in centre, resorted at tome to questionable tactics, particularly against Geary.



February 25 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Sir. There has been such an outcry raised against the Everton Club, or team, because the Accrington match was lost last Saturday, that I think it is not out of place to give a spectator's view of the game. Everton did not lose the game by poor play or weak shooting, but they were out refereed perhaps not intentionally, but for all that such was the case. To be less vague, I may add that three of the goals counted by Accrington were either handled thought or handled before being kicked through. Two of the goals scored in the first half was allowed through one admittedly so by Barbour, while Pendergast steadied the ball with his hands, and then shot through during the latter part of the game. Everton's first goal was disallowed on the plea that Brady was off-side, although he never touched the ball, but even giving this as no goal, the correct result was Everton 3 Accrington 2. Mr. Fitzropy Norris is highly respected in Liverpool and it is makes it appear all the more stranger to us. Surely Evertonians and Liverpoolians will symathise with and not gramble at the team who struggled so gamely against such overwhelming odds.

And now sir, I ask the following question; cannot Everton protest against the result of the game when they have so much reason to do so? The result of the match was a very important one, and although I dislike protesting. I am of opinion that in a case likes the present, if such a course were taken, it would not and could not justly be continued. Of course I know the Everton committee know their own business best, and I do not wish to try and dicture to them, but I merely throw out the suggestion for what it is worth. Yours etc Veracite Liverpool, Feb 24, 1890.