January 1890

January 2, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The Everton who defeated the Celtic some months ago paid them a return visit to Parkhead, Glasgow, yesterday afternoon. The weather was fine, and there was an immense crowd, about 18,000 being present. The teams were: - Everton; Geary, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Cain, Jones, and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Kirkwood, Chadwick, and Milward forwards . Geary was placed in goal on account of his having a bad knee, and the usual goalkeeper could not get away. The following was theCeltic team: - McLagham goal, Reynolds, and McKeown backs, Gallacher, Kelly, and McLaren half-backs, Maley, Madden, Groves, Coleman and Naughton, forwards.The Celts were not fully represented; they won the toss, and played with wind and sun in their favour. Kirkwood kicked off for Everton, the Celts at once assured the aggressive, and got down in front of Geary, but a foul was given against them, and in a twinkling the strangers were at the other end, and would have scored, but for a grand save by McKeown. There was another grand run by Latta and Brady, and Everton would have scored, but for the marvelous work of McLaughan in goal, and latterly Chadwick shot behind. The game was exceedingly fast and well contested; the Celtic had the wind in their favour and pressed most, by their shooting was not accurate. After a time Everton renewed their aggressive tactics, and Chadwick sent in a beauty which was brilliantly saved by McLaughlan. The Celts obtained a free kick; a capital shot was sent in the ball striking the post and Doyle kicked it out. Again the Everton goal was besieged, but Geary fisted out smartly. Indeed Everton were now acting purely on the defensive, and the Celts had the hardest of hard lines in not scoring. Kelly, who was playing in grand form, sent in a beauty, but Geary had ample time to fist it out. The Celts making the pace hot for their opponents and Doyle had to kick into touch to save. Shot after the Celts, but all to no effect sent in shot, the defence was too good, there was also no element of luck in it. Another corner was granted the Celts and a goal almost resulted, Geary although hard pressed many time kept goal in grand style. The Everton made stremous endeavors, but Reynolds and McKeown were in grand form and repelled all attacks. After twenty-five minutes play they got down right in front of Geary and Mclaren beating the half-backs, Tom Maley scored amidst a scene of great enthusiasm. The Celts were fairly in, playing with great dash, and had it not been for the grand play of Hannah they would have scored again. However, the ball was sent through ultimately, but a foul was given beforehand and the point was disallowed. The Everton were now fairly hemmed in, and seldom got pass midfield. At length Chadwick and Milward had a nice passing run, but the parting shot was wide. The Celts again returned to the attack, and McLaren striking the crossbar, Naughton scored the second goal for the Celts, amid great cheering, after 30 minutes play. Everton then pressed and obtained a corner, which came to nothing, Kelly kicking the ball down the field. Just about the call of half-time Tom Maley scored the third goal for the Cetic, from a long kick by McKeown; Geary could not have saved. The game was very exciting, and the play was grand, but rough on both sides. Half-time result, Celtic 3 goals Everton nil. The second half saw an improvement in the Everton play. They made the game more open, and obtained a corner, which came to nothing. At the other end, and Maley shot the ball into Geary's hands, but he saved well. The Everton returned to the attack, but Chadwick shot over the bar, Everton continued their aggressive tactics, and after ten minutes play they scored their first goal, from a slanting shot sent in by Jones. The Celts again returned to the attack, and Geary saved well. The game was very fast and the Everton again came down in fine style, when Milward lost a good chance by shooting wide of the mark. Groves than had a speedy run, and passed to Maley, who shot wide by some yards. A foul was given against Everton for topping Groves, but Everton got away, and Milward scored the second goal from the left. The point was disputed on the plea of off-side, but the goal was given. The game had to be stopped for a short time owing to Parry being winded. A corner was afterwards granted, Everton, but it was very badly taken. A grand game ended in favour of the Celtic by 3 goals to 2.

December 2, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury
With the first team of Everton away trying conclusion with the Celtic the Scotchmen and to put up with meeting a mixed eleven of the home club at Anfield-road yesterday afternoon. The ground, owing to the heavy rain overnight, was in a sodden condition, and good football was accordingly out of the question. The Battlefield men were a very good lot all round, and at times treated the 5,000 spectators with an occasional taste of their merits, while on the other hand, the home eleven with one of two exeption, were far below what is generally seen at Oakfield-road. Owing to the non-arrival of three of the selected player, the game was late in starting, and only two thirty-five were played. Everton were lucky in the toss, and Cunningham started. The strangers at once worked up in the centre, but failed to get beyond Weir, who was the means of Abbott speeding away, Martin putting a good shot to the side of Neil's charge, the visitors had to put in a deal of hard work for which Hall was the most prominent before the homesters could be stemmed off. McLaughlin forced a corner, and Joliffe ran a narrow escape, a hard shot from J.Hall hitting the upright and rebounding into play. After Everton had twice tried to find an opening, Bttlefield was soon back to Joliffe, who was beat by Inglis after ten minutes play. Good combination by the Battlefield team carried the ball to get back to the home quarters, but the leather was worked over. Everton now warmed up a bit to their work, and a piece of sterling play by Farmer deserved better luck, than a fruitless corner. Cunningham attempted to get away, but found Nidd in waiting, and a good bit of passing work by the home right and centre was finished by Hislop sending to the side of the upright, a similar felt being performed by Nelson at the other end. Just before half-time, a few exchange ware made, but the whistle sounder with the score Battlefield 1 goal, Everton nil. On changing over, the Battlefield were the first to get prominent, and both Nidd, and Hammond had a lots of work in stemming the rushes of the strangers. A free kick to Everton was nicely placed by Weir, and Farmer narrowly misted equalizing with a fast shot. Again attacking, Joliffe had a couple of good shift to fist out, but Nidd conceded a corner before a danger was allayed. A long kick by Hammond was the means of Everton getting well in, and after a corner, had been worked by the Battlefield men. Inglis sped away, and crossing to Kilgour the latter beat Joliffe a second time and appeal for offside being negatived. Joliffe being again beaten, a claim for offside this time being successful backed up this success. Play remained in the Everton goal for quite ten minutes, relief coming to the homesters through Cunningham spinning the leather over the crossbar. From the goalkick the Anfielders were award a corner, which, however, resulted in nothing tangible, and Joliffe thrice saved cleverly from the visitors front rank. The only excitement during the entire game was now exhibited as Hammond worked neatly through and placed to Abbott, who shot in, and Neil just saved with difficulty. The game again became monotonous, and no further scoring taking place, a poor game ended in a win for Battlefield by 2 goals to nil. Teams Battlefield: - Neil, goal, Cook, and Hall (J), backs, Hall (P). Hendry, and Connal, half-backs, Kilgour, Inglis, Cunningham, Nelson, and McLoughlin, forwards. Evertoi: - Joliffe, goal, Nidd, and Hammond, backs, Weir, Martin, and Edwards, half-backs, Jones (R), Abbott, Hislop, Farmer, and Kelly, forwards.

Falkirk Herald - Saturday 04 January 1890
Sharp, the East Stirlingshire custodian was the recipient of a telegram this week, asking him to keep goal for Everton against Celtic.  I hear also Inch was wanted on Wednesday, but neither of them played, being against the S.F.A rules, unless they obtained a "permit" Doyle and Kirkwood were playing with Everton. 

January 6, 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This League fixture- the second between the clubs-was played on Saturday, at Anfield, in a miserable downpour of rain, which rendered the ground a perfect representation of a bog. There would be about four thousand spectators presented. Kirkwood played in place of Cain, and Aston Villa played Cotton instead of Aldridge as right full back. Otherwise the teams were the same as usual . Teams; Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward. Forwards. Aston Villa: - Warmer, goal, Coulton, and Cox, backs, Devey, Cowan, and Barton, half-backs, Brown, Dickson, Hunter, Allen, and Hodgetts, forwards.It was decided to play only thity five minutes each way. The visitors kicked off, down hill, Kirkwood neatly returning, Geary raced away, and lost the ball, which was promtly coveyed to the opposite end, where Holt nicely tricked his opponents. Latta was enabled to improve upon this, and from his centre the goal had several narrow escape. The battle went all in favour of the homesters in front of goal; Latta had passed Brady putting the ball through after it to him. The Villans could not make much headway, as after crossing the half-way line Brady and Latta received the leather and rushed clean away though they were not successful in their attempts to beat Warner. The game went in favour of the Evertonians, the efforts of their opponents to remove the leather from in front of the citadel being without avail. Five minutes after the first goal was gained Kirkwood sent in a grand low shot, which was feebly put out by Warner and promptly sent back by Chadwick. The same player nearly repeated his successful performance half a minute later, and tries all they could, the visitors were unable to keep antagonist at bay. Parry placed the ball well to his forwards in front of goal and Geary almost put it past the goalkeeper, and than Latta dashed in and scored. The Villans infused somewhat greater spirit into their efforts and a good movement by Brown and Dickson resulted in the ball being taken well towards the Everton goal, only to be kicked over the line. Again they forced a way along mainly by the work of Allen, and Hodgetts, but Hannan came forward and robbed then in grand style. Holt retained the ball in midfield for some few minutes, the only relief in the monotony of the play being some tricky motions. A decent passing game was totally out of the question, the ball sticking to the turf as if it were glued to it. After a momentary call on the home backs by the Villans, the homesters pushed away on the left, and Geary sent in a long shot, which went outside, Milward being a second too late in his laudable endeavours to score. This did not prove to be a very unfortunate miss, as Geary immediately afterwards obtained the fourth goal. The visitors cantered away in fine fashion, and Brown was very unlucky in seeing the ball go outside the uprights after a good kick. The ball being removed to the other end a most exciting time was experienced in front of Warner nearly all the home forwards having a shot, but each time having to acknowledge the fact that their visiting backs were defending well. Brown and Dickson were again unfortunate in a splendid run and excellent shot, Everton were pressing at half-time when the score stood: - Everton 4 goals, Aston Villa nil. Hunter the visiting centre forward was hurt just before half-time was called, and the restart had to be made without his aid. Wading almost knee deep in mud, the players kept up the game as well as possible, neither side claiming any particular advantage for some time. From a kick by Doyle, Latta executed some smart work, and then transferred the leather to Geary, who shot outside the upright. Parry dropped on the ball when about 15 yards from goal, and encouraged by Doyle, who shouted “Try a shot, Charley,” he kicked high Brady managed to place himself in the vicinity of the shot, where the globe fell, and without much ado, put beyond the reach of the goalkeeper. Five goals in the rear and a man short was not a cheerful prospect for the Villans, and they did not by their play seen to hold any hope of putting a better complexion on the state of the game. The ball was retained in close proximity to the visitors fortess. Geary and Chadwick narrowly missing the honour of scoring goals. Warner managed to “spoon” out another clever attempt by Chadwick and immediately ensuing this Brady skimmed the crossbar with an able effort. The Evertonians were now having much more of the play than they claimed in the first half which was only to be expected considering the weakened state of the Villa team. Warner had to kick out from a truly magnificent oblique shot from Latta's foot, and then Brady was very unlucky in trying to “head” the ball through. A corner was awarded to the homesters, and from this Chadwick beat Warner, who made the score 6 to nil in favour of Everton. The visitors made convulsive endeavours to break away, but only twice did they cross the half-way line in the course of a quarter of a quarter of an hour, and then they did not assume any dangerous attitude Kirkwood, Brady and Latta prettily worked the leather down, and from a pass by the last named, Geary scored the seventh. Final result, Everton 7 goals, Aston Villa nil.

January 6, 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton's trio of holiday matches during the week did not prove a happy hit, and to lose two and win but one hardly came up to the expectations their preceding grand form seemed to justify. The visitors on Monday were the Casuals, whom Everton had so easily beaten at Leyton. The Londoners excited considerably a curiosity, and a fairly interesting game witnessed by a large company for an off day. Everton tried a new man in McArthur, and were otherwise weak, not a single department being the usual League representation. The opening stages were tame on both sides, and had a tange of jocularity about them, but in about 20 minutes Everton shock down in better formation. Latta opened the scoring, and Chadwick and Doyle added a second and third, but these reverse stimulate the Casuals to greater energy and by half-time Joliffe was beaten once. McArthur had not proved a very terrible centre, and so he gave way to Chadwick on changing ends, but the desired improvement was not viable in the attack as the left wing was thus sadly weakened. Everton certainly resumed strongly, but falling away frequently thrown on the defence, especially towards the finish, and by hard work just managed to gain the day by 3 goals to 2. The Casuals were a fine set of players, and with a little more practice in each other company would make most formidable team. In defence they were particularly powerful, whilst Topham made a champion centre, keeping his wings together with marked success. Everton, weather on account of McArthur useless of from previous heavy work, were never thoroughly at home, and a trifle lucky in winning. However, Dame fortune was on their side, and so the last match of the old year was consistently won by Everton. To commence the New Year, the heroic work of two contests with the Scotch teams was mapped out for Everton. Both were lost, and to pass the compliments of the season to the Anfielders under these conditions would seen satirical. No great damage, it is true has been done to their reputation, but regret will be general that the original programme of playing, but one match on New year's Day was not adhered to. At Liverpool the Everton Reserves team were delegated to tackle Battlefield, and a poor display all round, more so by the homesters, engaged the Scotchmen, much exertion winning by 2 goals to 0. But away in Scotland, minus the great help of Smalley and Holt, Everton made splendid fight with Celtic. There was but a goal between the teams-on the wrong side from a Liverpool point of view, as all the world now knows. No sophism, however, plausible, can metamorphose a defeat into a win, but under all the circumstance it must be admitted that Everton did valiantly, and that there is no discredit in being beaten so narrowly, on stranges grounds by such a redoubtable team. The Celts had the advantage of wind and sun, and at the outset play went much in their favour. The ball was returned to the Everton end most tantalizing, but Geary kept goal so surely thus it was fully 25 minutes before he could be over mastered. Backed up by the encouraging cheers of some 15,000 Glasweigians, Celtic had another turn, and put through, put lost the point on account of a prior foul. A neat passing run by Chadwick and Milward altered the aspect of affairs, but Everton's time for scoring was not yet at hand. The Celts added 2 more goals, and led strongly at the interval by 3 goals to nil. Everton, true to their reputation of holding up gamely whatever the odds, improved greatly afterwards, first they forced a corner, then Chadwick shot over, and soon Jones scored with a side shot. Chadwick tried again and so did Maley at the other end with equal ill-luck, but following a good aim by Latta, Milward sent through at close quarters and nothing coming of the fast play that intervened up to the finish what the Scotch press describes as a grand game terminated in a Celtic victory by 3 goals to 2. With their full team Everton are confident they could proved himself or herself more than a match for Celtic. Geary made a surpassingly good goalkeeper, and all the regular hands played a finished game. R. Jones who created a such a favorable impression two years ago in the Everton half department did exceedingly well for a reserve man at centre half, but is not a full blown Holt. Everton were received kindly and on leaving the field were heartily cheered for the their clever play, which they did not put to the utmost, in view of the responsibilities of impending great contests.

At home on Saturday, Everton made small beer of Aston Villa and their consistent and steady improvement is illustrated in the two matches with the Birmingham ex-cupholders. A win of 2 goals to 1 on November 23 is swelled to one of 7 to 0 in January 4. How are the mighty fallen! Or rather, what mighty men have risen! Everton are again congratulates, and practically top of the League at present, have justifiable grounds for believing they will be champions when the complete tale has to be told. But Aston Villa are not satisfield, they are well beaten but the mud is responsible not their inferior play. Everton found the ground equally muddy, but made allowances for the impedimenta, and fairly ran away with the game. Aston Villa have lodged protest, on the off chance of getting the match replayed. Anything would be better than this stigma of 7-goal defeat, and if they are lucky in their appeal they can hardly be more severely beaten! Mr. Gregson report the match a genuine League game, and if the referee maintains this position, Aston Villa will be a suppliant in vain. The ground was certainly in a deplorable condition, and only two 35's were agreed upon. Everton won the toss, and soon took up the attack Brady opened the scoring account. This early reverse seemed to take all the go out of the Villans, who were only once dangerous afterwards, and half time arrived with Everton leading by 4 goals. At this juncture Hunter took a fit, and for the rest of the game the visitors were shorthanded. Everton now literally overwhelmed Aston Villa, and added 3 more goals, the winners were superior at all points. Smalley had but three shots to stop, Hannan and Doyle, in their element completely shielding the custodian by their effective play. The halfbacks, with Kirkwood in Cains place were very clever, and were often applauded for the skill and ease with which they rendered the best intentions of the Aston Villa forwards null and void. Kirkwood was a great success and nothing could have been cleverer than the neat way in which he fed Latta and Brady. The forwards combined perfectly, and their shooting and passing were delightful to Evertonians and a terror to the Brums. Warner was not a bright goalkeeper, but Coulton made a splendid back, especially in kicking' the halves were far behind their vis-à-vis and of the forwards, Brown and Dickson alone showed to good advantage.

January 7, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
Sir, I reply to a “Member” letter, 1 will ask him, as he is so well acquainted with the Everton committee men, who is the “one” individual who is allowed to make arrangements on behalf of the club? When we all know that in the Everton as in any other club there is an elected executive committee of management, why “one” individual should be allowed to make an arrangement for the club, to send its first team away on such a day as the 1 st of January, in “defance” of the rest of the executive. I cannot for the life of me understand, why have we an executive at all, if this “one” can carry all before him, and do as he pleases? I thought we had finished this “one-man” work long ere now. I shall be much obliged to your correspondent he will furnish us with this individual's name and at the next members meeting, I shall most certainly ask the question, why this “one-man” has the power to do as he pleases, and why was it not advertised that the “Reserves” would be selected to play Battlefield and not go in for leading the staunch supporters of this club. To believe that they were going to see the first class game on New Year's day.

I may inform a “member” that I am the writer of the letter writer of the letter, which appeared in your Saturday issue signed. “A lover of football”and no sham, and that a rule I do not commence writing about things of which I know, nothing, as he infers, he would have the public believe that he is the only “one” who knows anything about the Everton club or football either- yours Another Member, January 6, 1890.

January 9, 1890. The Sheffield Independent.
Everton 5 Sheffield United 2
At Liverpool. Play by aid of Wells lights. The United kick off at 7 o'clock. Everton played with the wind, Holt scoring after eight minutes, Milward got a second goal and Doyle a third. Brady and Weir also scored, Everton leading at half-time by five goals to nothing with the wind the United played a far better game and scored a couple of goals. Five thousand persons were presented.

January 9, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The Everton v Sheffield United return fixture was decided last evening on the Anfield road enclosure in a manner more singular than has been the case previously in Liverpool. Sixteen of Well's patent lights were placed on the margin of the field of play at an elevation of about twenty-five feet, and these cast a brilliant radiance over the greater part of the ground, there being plenty of light in all parts with the exception of the centre from goal to goal, where there was a slight line of dimness. The fact of the match being played under such remarkable circumstance of course attracted a great deal of attention, and when the match commenced the crowd could not have numbered less than 8,000 persons. The ball was painted white in order that it might more easily be discerned. The sight of the players sprinting about the field somewhat phantom like, and the sea of faces round the barriers, brought into strong relief by the lights, formed a most curious and weirdly picture when the start was made at the signal given by the referee with a foghorn instead of a whistle. The home men at once made their presence felt and for the space of ten minutes the united goal was constantly in jeopardy the exertions of the Evertonians being at last rewarded by a goal from Holt's foot. Latta and Brady made several good dribbles without any practical outcome. At length a mistake by Hammond let Clarke have a chance, and he and Robertson went away with a spirit only to be cleverly pulled up by Martin. Considering the drawbacks in the shapes of reflections cast by players bodies and the somewhat high wind that was blowing, a very nice passing game was witnessed and altogether there were but few inaccuracies. Only on the occasion mentioned could the visitors during half-an-hour race over the half way line, their efforts at breaking away being well checked by Hammond and Hannah at back, and Holt at half-back the latter playing a particularly smart game. Kirkwood and Milward, and Brady and Latta on their respective wings worked cleverly and arduously but Doyle did not make an ideal centre forward, as he missed several capital chances, which were offered by his forward companions. Most determined play took place in front of the goal, and when it frequently appeared certain that Crichton would have to surrender some fortuitous incident turner the tide, but at last Milward brought the citadel down with a rattling shot. This excellent example was imitated a few minutes later by Doyle, who having thus astoned for his mistake at once received the congratulations of his clubmates. But a short time elapsed when Kirkwood notched the fourth point, the play in the meantime having been vastly in favour of the home team. Eventually the visiting left wing careered down the field, but the move was promptly neutralized and Latta was then enabled to give another fine exhibition of his dribbling powers. He took the ball close to goal, from whence it was removed by one of the backs but Weir with a long dropping shot, scored the fifth goal. In the second half Doyle retired to his usual position, and Hammond went centre forward. Kirkwood and Milward lost no time in getting along, and from a pass Brady made the ball graze the crossbar. The Sheffield men then had a look in, but could not take up any advantage position. Kirkwood became prominent with a splendid run and finished up with a grand centre the ball, however, mulled whilst a proximity to Crichton. Duncan raced away at high-pressure. But he concluded with a very tame attempt, when he only had the goalkeeper to outwit. Hard lines for the home right wing was the next item, and then the visitors who were combined with much better effect, made a brave endeavour to score, Sugg conceding a corner after saving finely. After very severe pressure by the Evertonians, the visitors broke away, and Sugg had to succumb to an excellent shot by Galbraith. The “blades” were manicuring in a far more workman like fashion than at any previous portion of the game, and frequently brought severe pressure to bear upon the opposing defence. A fierce struggle occurred in the home goalmouth and it was terminated in the style approved by the visitors Sugg failing to secure firm possession of the sphere. From this point a short period from the finish of the match the United had their fair share of attention. About a minute before the referee called for the termination of the game a free kick was awarded to the homesters. Doyle kicked through, and it was alleged that the ball touched Kirkwood before passing the goalkeeper. The referee would not uphold the claim, and the match therefore ended Everton 5 goals, Sheffield United 2 goals.

Teams; Everton: - Frank Sugg, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Hammond, backs, Weir, Holt, and Martin, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Doyle, Kirkwood, and Milward forwards. Sheffield United: - Crichton goal, Smoth (WF), and Gilmartin (L), backs, Mack (S), Hobson (W) and Fraser (W), half-backs, Duncan (J), Robertson (W), Clarke (TBA), Galbriath (D), and Walder (W) forwards.

On Friday evening the Everton F.C. will meet the Lancashire Nomads under conditions similar to those mentioned above.

January 9 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The above should meet, accordingly to fixture entered into at the commencement of the season on Saturday next, on the Anfield-road enclosure, but on account of Sunderland having to meet Blackburn Rovers in the flight fot the Engish Cup on Saturday week they (Sunderland) have written canceling the engagement. Therefore Everton have arranged that Geary's old club (Notts Rangers) will fill the gap.

January 11, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The second illuminated football match was played last evening on the Anfield ground, in the presence of about 3,000 spectators. The home team was only a “scratch” affair. The visitors were the first to threaten danger, but Hay coolly repulsed them. Bradley and Godwin, a couple of smart youngsters from the Lansdowns F.C. one of the Stanley Park clubs, then executed a pretty movement up the field, and puzzled Frank Sugg considerably, but he at length cleared the danger. Then Whittaker raced away in magnificent style, from the halfway line, his finishing touch being slightly wide of the upright. The play fluctuated considerably, the Nomads experiencing hard lines with several shots, while the Evertonians sent the ball on the wrong side of the crossbar, after a fierce scrimmage in the vicinity of the goalkeeper's charge. There was little to chosen in the ex-change up to half-time, which arrived without any point having been scored. On the resumption of play, Bradshaw went away in dashing style, and was unlucky in scoring an excellent oblique shot just miss the mark. The same player afterwards centred splendidly several times, but his labour was not taken full advantage of by the confreres. Godwin was next cheered for some pretty tricky dribbling, which was spoiled by a too length kick. The Nomads by better combination, gained some good position, but Charley Joliffe repeatedly saved in a very exert style. Ultimately he was forced to bow down to his opponents after a prolonged scrimmage. Some time after the visitors rushed a second goal under similar circumstances. There was an almostentire lack of combination amongst the home forwards, Bradshaw and Godwin, however, showing very capable form. Final; result: - Everton Reserves 0 Lancashire Nomads 2 goals. Teams : - Nomads: - Sugg (W) goal, Suff (J), and Edwards backs Isherwood, Prescott, and Almond half-backs, Morgan, Duckworth, Frost, McNamara, and Whittaker, forwards Everton: - Joliffe, goal Hidd and Hay, backs, Weir, Roberts jones, and Farmer, half-backs, Spearmen McGoldrick Burns, Bradshaw, and Godwin, forwards

January 11, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The most successful application of Wells' light in connection with the football took place at the Anfield enclosure on Wednesday evening, when close upon 8,000 persons assembled to witness the novel display. Anfield is perhaps the best arena in the county for such experiments, and as the hugh stands serve to confirm the light within the required area, an admirable view was obtained of the game. The Visitors were the Sheffield United, against whom Everton opposed a team of only moderate strength but which neverthe less gained an easy victory by five to two this being the return match between the clubs.

January 13, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
This match was played on the Anfield road ground on Saturday in dull weather, there being about 5,000 spectators present. The ground although it had been rolled, was somewhat heavy, Geary kicked off, and the ball was rapidly taken up to the left from whence a pass was made, and Latta shot a few inches outside the upright. Holt was applauded for adroit move, and then Latta and Brady moved up and gave Geary a fair opportunity, which was not accepted. Latta shot through from an off-side position and a corner was immediately afterwards conceded the homesters, from which the ball was, headed over the bar. A few minutes later another corner was granted to the home men, and from this Latta easily headed through. The game up to this point was painfully slow and one sided, and the visitors failed to show any signs of waking up for sometime. Chadwick called upon the Rangers goalkeeper to make a good rescue, and Kirkwood sent in a neat attempt the ball grazing the crossbar on the wrong side. Shaw and Gill at length improved the position of the visitors, their work however, being rendered useless by a kick over the line. Following upon this, the home forwards going in good style gained another corner, which was taken full advantage of by Geary, and the same player notched a third point but a couple of minutes later. Latta was next cheered for smartly nonplusing one of his opponents, and for propelling the ball beautifully across the goalmouth. An exciting scrimmage in front of the visiting goalkeeper sustained the hopes of the spectators at a high pitch for a brief time, but most energetic resistance on the part of the Notts backs and goalkeeper kept out the ball. Then Brady with a neat low shot scored the fourth goal, and after some magnificent saves made by Brown, the last mentioned Evertonian rushed the fifth point. Brown further distinguished himself nullifying some excellent attempts made by Kirkwood, and then Chadwick kicking low and wide of the goalkeeper obtained the sixth goal. There was nothing of further note up to half-time except that Smalley excited the risibility of the spectators by “saving” about 25 yards from his charge, from which he had wandered by reason of having nothing to do. Half-time result, Everton 6 goals Notts Rangers nil.

On recommencing play, the contest again settled down in the visitors quarters, and in the wonderfully short space of three minutes, Milward shot two goals the first one being a very clever performance. A minute later Brady raised the total to nine goals. It will be observed from the above that the whole line of forwards had participated in the honour of scoring. The Rangers were thoroughly overpowered, and could only offer a very tame resistance against their opponents, admirably excuted tactics. Chadwick forced Brown to fist out a rattling shot, and Geary just missed his aim after one of his dashing sprints. This player made another splendid dribble shortly afterwards, and concluded in the most approved fashion, this bringing the score into double figures. Milward exerted himself to the utmost on a run down the field, and while close into goal tried to beat Brown, the goalkeeper just managed to fist away, and then Latta bounded to the ball and increased the number of points to eleven. Doyle evidently thought that the forwards were having too much the fun, as he took Holt's position and endeavored to lower the Rangers colours with a long shot. Hannah also seemed to have a desire to share in the scoring, as he dribbled tight down the field and sent the ball flying over the bar. Latta added another goal, thus making it a dozen and then there was great fun, Holt falling back to the goalkeeper's place, and Smalley playing half-back. Whilst matters were arranged in this wise Gill had the goal fairly at his mercy, but he missed his kick and Johnny Holt came to the rescue in gallant style. Smalley was applauded for a run, and Doyle at last took part in the scoring, Fairly rushing the players and the ball through the posts. A fourteenth goal was gained a from a scrimmage, the ball dropping in such a puzzling manner that it glanced in off the goalkeepers hand. (Parry scored). Holt was ironically cheered for fisting out, his imitation of the goalkeeper's mannerisms being very laughable. Final result Everton 14 goals Notts Rangers nil. Teams; Everton: - Smalley goal Hannah (Captain) and Doyle backs, Kirkwood Holt and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Notts Rangers: - Brown goal, Archer, and Carlin backs, Hallam, James, and Carlin, half-backs. Slack, Jackson, Freestone, Gill, and Shaw forwards .

January 13, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
These organisations met at Southport before about 700 spectators, both teams pose as the crack reserves teams of Lancashire and it was expected that the game would be a close one. Notwithstanding the unfavorable weather that has of late been experienced, the ground was in excellent condition and both clubs were strongly represented. Tasker commenced when R.Jones rushed up, and passed right across to Godwin, Pearson, however, was too quick for him, and passed to Tasker, who made a grand dribble, which he terminated by upsetting the calculation of Joliffe, the visiting custodian. Orr recommenced, when Everton forced the play, and Tyldesley was called upon to repel shots from the feet of Godwin and Bradshaw. The homesters then had a look in, and Halsall had hard lines in not scoring, after desultory play the Evertonians again returned to the attack, and the Boys had to concede a couple of corners, but they were well cleared, and Halsall securing he got well away down the left, and passed to Monks, who sent in a beauty, but Halsall just failed to put the finishing touch to it. The Central continued to press, and had the hardest of luck, being within an ace of scoring on several occasions. The home quarters was then the scene of action for some time, but the stubborn defence offered by Pearson was of such a nature as to prevent any score, and at this point Farmer came into collision with one of his own men and had to retire. The Boys than commenced to press, and Joliffe was called upon on more than one occasion, but he proved in grand form and fisted out shot after shot in fine style. Ultimately the pressure became too strong, and after Bradshaw had sent in a rattler right in the goalmouth, Halsall headed it through. The Central continued to press till the conclusion of the first half but could not increase their score. Half-time result; Central Old Boys 2 goals, Everton Reserves nil. Final Results Central Old Boys 2 goals Everton Reserves 2 goals.

January 20, 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
The English League Cup competition was played at Anfield to-day, in dull weather. As it was the first appearance of the Midland team in Liverpool this season the encounter caused a great amount of interest, and at the start there were about nine thousand spectators present. The Everton team suffered only one change, Kirkwood again playing at half-back, although Cain had returned from Scotland. The teams as follows: Everton: - Smalley, goal Hannah (Captain) and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Derby County: - Bromage goal, Latham, and Ferguson backs, Williamson, Goodall (A), and Roulston, half-backs, Bakewell, Higgins, Goodall (J), Milarvie, and Cooper, forwards. Umpire, Messrs, Torniston, and G Hay, referee Mr. C.Crump, (Birmingham). It will be seen that, contrary to general expectation, the famous brothers Goddall occupied their usual positions, notwithstanding the extremely sad death of the halfback's wife. On an extremely slippery ground the home team down the hill took the kick off, and some good feeding by Parry to his forwards kept Williamson on the alert. The ball was then transferred to the right wing, from whence Kirkwood passed to Latta, who shot in; but a free kick was awarded to the visitors on a claim for offside. A beautifully neat passing movement amongst the visiting forwards which was headed by John Goddall, landed the ball close into the home goal, where a pass sent the globe over the line. Then some rather too vigorous charging by Archie Goodall and Ferguson on Latta excited the fires of the spectators, and the players mentioned were loudly hooted. A transient visit was again made by the Midlanders, and then Milward and Chadwick manourved down the field, Geary nuffing an excellent chance afforded him right in front of Bromage by Chadwick, Brady and Archie Goodall came to loggerheads, and it appeared as if there would be a scene but the warm feeling simmered down. A free kick taken by Latta was almost headed through by Milward and then Brady sending well down to the goalkeeper, Geary kicked through after 14 minutes play. Another grand opportunity was not grasped by Geary, and the result was that Johnny Goddall obtained possession, and dribbled away in his best mood, his concluding shot being a couple of feet wide of the upright. The county were now pressing with the utmost determination, and could not be moved away from the advantageous position. They eventually gained the height of their desires, J.Goodall performing the needful after a pass from Milarvie, the shot being sent low and about a couple of yards beyond Smalley's reach. The ball lay very heavy on the ground, and this apparently accounted for some glaring mistakes by the fast home centre forward. A slight attack was made by the home men, and then Bakewell getting hold raced away in startling style, passing all his opponents, until he had reached close to the goal line. He passed right across to Goodall, who scored the second goal for the visitors. A very short time afterwards Latta responded to Bakewell's effort in like style, no good result accuring from his work, however. A couple of good centres were made by Parry, and yet though there were narrow escapes, there was no actual downfall of the visiting goal. This far there had been little cohesion in the home front rank Geary being totally at sea, whilst on the other hand the county men were working very smartly. The home men at last put themselves well in the goalmouth and Milward struck the crossbar with a shot. A claim for goal was put forth, but not upheld. A foul in answer toParry's appeal was conceded, and good play on the right wing ensuing the ball was given to Milward, who was cheered for a clinking ling shot, which grazed the crossbar. Geary next nearly had the goal at his mercy, and when he was robbed of the sphere, Charlie Parry dropped on it, and turned it over to Milward. This player shot in at close quarters; it was put out again, and Milward returned; Bromage held the ball for a second, but Milward persistently stuck to him, and he was compelled to drop the ball over the line. Of course this feat was vociferously cheered. The homeboys were now going better, and Milward just escaped the honour of scoring another point after Latta's transfer. He did actually accomplish this a minute later from a pass by Geary and there was a renewal of the uproar amongst the spectators. Half-time result Everton 3 goals Derby County 2 goals.

There was little to record for a minute or two after the interval, until Latta sent in a ground shot, the ball just passing outside. The County right wing forced their way some distance down, when Doyle dispossessed them, and Brady went off. He transferred to Latta who although but three yards from the goal shot outside. The scene was removed to the opposite end where Smalley was twice called upon, and was applauded for a particularly good save. Geary now for the first time exhibited good play, making a fine sprint from the halfway line, and then shooting in, Milward being slightly behind hard in his effort to reach the leather. The ball was, however, retained at that end for several seconds, and Brady shot high, while Bromage, in endeavoring to fist out with both hands, placed the ball on the wrong side of the upright. With a two goals to the good the spectators were feeling a little more comfortable, and felt inclined to favour the good play of the visitors a little more liberally. The home forwards were given the cue by Doyle, and carried the ball well towards Bromage, it was returned to Kirkwood, who propelled a long high shot, which took effect. Milward paying his usual compliment to the goalkeeper, the scene of action was sustained in the Derby territory, and in a scrimmage Geary notched the sixth point. The visitors now were not nearly so effective as they were in the first half, the pace having told seriously upon them. They managed to reach a point near the home citatel, but were promptly repelled by Doyle, and Latta taking possession, rushed away in his favorite manner. When close on to the goal line, he centred, and Brady, with a good header, sent the ball on to the crossbar, from whence it rebounded into play. Geary took a shot, which was fisted out by Bromage, and then Brady retrieved his bad luck by drawing blood with an admirable shot. The play continued to be located in the same quarters, and Milward's header scored an eight goal, after the ball had glanced off Geary's crown. After further play in favour of the homesters and Doyle amid much laugher waded through and Beat Bromage with a nine point. Geary then hit the bar with a swift shot, but met the return and scored the ten points. Just before the call of time Brady burst the ball with a heavy shot. After the arrival of a new one Geary wounded up a fast game by registering the eleventh goal while lying on the ground. Everton thus going into the next stage with a well-earned victory by 11 goals to 2.

January 20, 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Played at Prescot on Saturday. The home team started with the wind in their favour, and was at one dangerous, the Prescot goal was then visited, but Whitfield relieved. A corner was conceded by Joliffe, nothing resulted, Prescot pressed, and some exciting play was witnessed. A free kick placed Prescot's goal in danger, but the watchmakers soon had the ball in their adversary's goal again. Woodward robbed Godwin smartly, and after some very fast play Stockley scored a pretty goal for Prescot. Everton then had a spell of passing. Orr was penalised for off side, Joliffe knocked out a good shot by Stott. A successful claim for hands relieved the pressure a little, but Prescot were soon at it again, and Stott scored a second goal. The Everton forwards made another rush, but it was useless, and Prescot had two free kicks, which enabled Douglas to score no 3. Half-time result Prescot 4 goals Everton Reserves nil. After half time the play was very fast. Prescot right down, and Joliffe had to stop a hot one from Stott, and then Gratton had to save smartly. Prescot forced a corner, but failed to uttise it. Everton forwards made a good combined run, and succeeded in scoring. A few minutes after Orr hit the bar with a long shot. Some neat passing tactics by the Everton forwards resulted in Nidd scoring a second goal, Everton continued to press severely. Final result Prescot 5 goals Everton reserves 4 goals.

January 20, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury
There is great rejoicing at Anfield and they are fully entitled to make a merry over their last performance. That Derby County would be relieved through the attention of Everton of all further anxiety and ambition in connection with this years cup battle royal was decided in most people's minds in the affirmative beforehand, but once were prepared for the sensational victory of 11 goals to 2. And the query naturally arises, could any club have beaten a team with Johnny Goodall as centre forward in such an unequivocal manner? And yet it was a hard game, and both sides exerted themselves to the fullest right up to the finish-the one to increase their lead and the other to reduce the ugly gap. The ground was in a muddy state, but Mr. Crump considered it fair enough for a cup tie at there was nothing that made it dangerous for players, who certainly skipped over the slippery surface with surprising alacrity. Everton played down hill at the commencement and had slightly the best of the opening stages. Latta early put through, but was off-side and after about a quarter of an hour, Geary started the scoring account. The reverse seemed to impress Derby County with the fact that if they were to save the game, they must be up and doing. By hard work and good combination they for a time played a superior game to Everton. Bakewell and J.Goodall being more particularly prominent, the latter scoring twice, and it looked just now somewhat serious from an Evertonians point of view. As the half time drew near Everton got into their proper stride, and would not he denied until Milward had forced two goals by sheer strength and pluck in charging the ball through. The second half, except for occasional Derby dashes particularly on the right wing, was all in favour of Everton, whose all-round perfect action was overpowering, and obtained goals frequently, but generally with great skill. The visiting teams were not well balanced, Bakewell was very fast and accurate on the outside right, and got round Parry and Doyle with great tact at times. Higgins too, made a good partner, Goodall was smart at centre at the beginning, but found Holt too effective later on to ever became dangerous. The back department was weak, like the left wing and perhaps the best defenders were Archie Goodall, who played well under the painful domestic sorrow of the loss of his wife, with considerable success, and Ferguson, the left back. Bromage made one or two good saves, but was moderate on the whole. Everton played together so well and so unselfishly that they disarm criticism, but it must be admitted that the half-backs play was strikingly far ahead of Derby. Holt and Kirkwood being the most effective in their tricky maneuvers, though Parry in the first half particularly, tackled timely. Smalley, Hannah, and Doyle all did their work well, though the speedy Bakewell at times nonplused the latter. The forwards played a grand game all across, and Geary improved on the heavy ground as the game advanced. Kirkwood, Latta and Brady were a treat to see in their combined efforts, and it is difficult to imagine how this section of the team could be proved. Cain, who will probably play to-day, will have a great task set him to make the right more powerful than it was on Saturday.

To-day Everton are again engaged in pursuit of cup honours, and journey to Blackburn, where they meet the Rovers in an endeavour to decide finally the tie in the Lancashire Cup competition. The reverse having made two attempts to settle the matter and failed through fog in the one instance and we believe a late start in the other, the first team are now to try their fortunes, and a great game is assured. This will be the third tussle this season between these leading League teams, and though Everton have beaten the Rovers twice, the renewed test of strength is welcomed by both sides- by Evertonians that they may confirm their superiority, and by Blackburnians that some of the lost ground may be recovered. The Rovers judged by their local critic still claim to be the cleverer team, and allege that luck played an important part in Everton's success. Liverpoolians and others unattached to the Leamington street club think science and not luck swayed the issue, and the present accidental encounter accordingly fits in very timely. It will rank as one of the big events of the season, and with favorable weather a large gathering will no doubt assemble to witness what promises to be a rare exhibition of the highest order of association football. The Lancashire and Yorkshire railway Company are running a fast excursion leaving exchange Station at 1-05 p.m. and Sandhills at 1-09 pm arriving in Blackburn at 1.55 pm, at the usual fare of 2s for the double journey returning at 6-55 p.m. Evertonians thus have a convenient opportunity of rallying round their favorites, and doubtless a vast crowd will avail themselves of the facilities afforded them of accompanying the players.

Doyle informs us that Macfarlane has made the mends honorable. In a letter Macfarlane expresses his regret if he said anything which hurt Doyle's feelings, and hopes that the excitement of the moment, which was at a critical period of the Bootle v Everton match will be some extent excuse his offence. Doyle has accepted the apology, as ample, and it will give satisfaction to know that the old kindly feeling has been renewed between rival camps.

January 21, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Senior Cup
The undecided Lancashire Cup tie was played yesterday at Blackburn in the previous of 6,000 spectators, 1,000 of whom came from Liverpool. The weather was fine but the ground was in a heavy condition. The home men took the kick off, and the visitors forced the play, Geary shooting over the bar. Then the Rovers made all the play, and it was only Smalley's gallant defence that prevented a downfall. The pressure was kept up with considerable vigour for some time, and eventually Smalley had to succumb to the weight of three opponents whilst the ball was shot over him. After this reverse the visitors worked down, but were unable to discover an opening and the leather was rushed back to the Everton end, where Walton struck the crossbar with an excellent attempt. The Evertonians now succeeded in getting in the verity of the goal, where Forbes promptly repulsed them, and the ball being rushed down to the other end was put past Smalley, who was intercepted. Ever after this the visitors started little better, the only points in their favour being two dashes down by Brady and Latta, Forbes, however quickly getting rid of them. After further well sustained pressure by the home men, the visiting forwards carried the ball well down, where Brady and Latta each centre very finely, but Chadwick missed both opportunities. It should have been stated that the visitors had the disadvantage of a strong wind, and a bright sun against them. Again Chadwick mulled a fine chance, and again did the Rovers go back with one of their sharp rushes, and Smalley grandly rescued a couple of shots. Some clever passing by Chadwick and Milward resulted in the ball being taken to dangerous quarters, and the first mentioned of the two propelled a magnificent oblique shot, which Brandon could only just get away in order to save. There was no question about the Rovers having had by far the best of the exchanges. When Everton did suceed in getting to the goal, the erractic shooting, due to the greasy state of the ball, spoiled every goal. Smalley had to save another hard shot and Chadwick and Milward afterwards got away in good style with no better luck attacted to their efforts. The home backs being in good form, another goal was scored, and at half-time the score stood Blackburn Rovers 3 goals Everton nil. Recommencing the Rovers pressed for a minute or two, but when Geary was given possession of the leather, he raced away until within a couple of yards from McOwen, who intercepted and the ball rolled harmlessly over the line. Then a free kick was given to Everton right in front of goal, and the ball being sent in with great force, bounced off one of the Rovers through the goal to great jubilation of the Liverpool spectators. With the wind at their backs pressure was all on the part of the visitors, and the goal had several narrow escapes. The ball could not be removed from the home quarters, and Brady and Chadwick were very unlucky in well meant efforts to score. A foul was given against Hannah for tripping Townley and from the ensuing free kick a goal was scored, three men being on Smalley. There was a slight menace by the visiting forwards, and then Lofthouse and Campbell went away with Great Spirit, the ball being taken in the goalmouth and fairly rushed through again this making the fifth goal. Although playing against the wind, the Rovers were going in much better style than did their opponents and there was very little combination apparent in the visiting forwards' play, Geary was given a splendid chance when well placed, but he failed to take advantage of it. Consequently Lofthouse had a grand sprint all to himself, his concluding shot however, going clear over the bar. For some minutes there was very little forward play, the backs indulging in long kicks, whilst the Rovers half-backs robbed their antagonists very neatly when they attempted to break loose. The home right at length succeeded in making some headway, and gained a couple of corners, both of which were baron. McOwen saved grandly a ground shot from Geary's foot. Final result Blackburn Rovers 5 goals Everton 1.Teams; Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Cain, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Latta Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Blackburn Rovers:- McOwen, goal, Brandon, and Forbes backs, Almond, Dewar, and Forrest half-backs, Lofthouse, Campbell, Southworth, Walton, and Townley, forwards.

With the Derby County team at Everton
(Derbyshire Times, 25 January 1890
Although the League fixtures possess an un-the-doubted interest for lovers of the winter pastime – struggle which in the past excited and still excites the greatest interest in the football world is the fight for the English Cup. The first round in the ties for the coveted trophy were fought on Saturday, and Derby crack team with that ill luck, which they are becoming accustomed to, had to face the redoubtable Everton team, in the Everton ground. Everton is, perhaps most people know, a suburb of Liverpool, a pleasant three miles drive from the Liverpool Central Station, and a heavy laden train conveyed the Derby team and partizans from the Peak to the great shipping centre. It was a pleasant morning and the players joined the special at Matlock where they had for a fortnight been in active and strict preparation. The saloon contained numerous sporting notabilities including several pressmen whose names are familiar in the athletic world. Spofforth “the demon” was also here, and Billy Chatterton and the veteran George Hay and others whose names are perhaps better known in the cricket field than in connection with football. We learn with agreeable surprise that Archie Goodall has, despite his great grief, decided to play, and as the train speeds along he confidentially refers to his recent sorrow, big tears filling his eyes as he did so. John Goodall, the famous international, is here, and the rest of the boys Latham, “Fergie”, Roul-tone, Williamson, Higgins, “Kiddy” Cooper, George Bakewell, Milarvie, and Bromage, and the players appear to be jubilant and confident in spirits and up to the mark in health. Through the Peak we rush and are soon in the land of mills, having noticed the Chinley end of the new Derbyshire Railway en route. The gigantic ship canal works are also touched, and through Warrington we dash – the weather by now being dull and threatening. “There's not much sunlight here,” someone remarked, and the explanation came “that it was all used in the soap!” The Central Station is reached safely, and the time being limited, a general move is made for Everton, the words “play up, county,” ringing in a lively chorus through the spacious station. A few minutes late, Goodall led his men on to the ground – oh, such a ground! It was a perfect morass! In an experience of years we never beheld such a ground in such a condition, and what Goodall was doing not to object we cannot imagine, for we learnt from the referee that he was quite prepared for such an objection. However, none was made, and the kick-off took place in the presence of eight or ten thousand people. The Everton team is a redoubtable one, and soon (the ex-Scotch International) Latta, who was formally Captain of the Renton team was busy. The George Bakewell had a futile run, his speed doing him good service. Next the ex-Notts Rangers, Geary, is on the ball, and away he rushes, and his final effort is too near to be pleasant. Then Chadwick on the home left has a try, and Bromage muffing the ball, Geary dashed up, and through it went at lightning speed, the Derby goalkeeper evidently not being quite awake yet after his long ride. An even game followed, the visitors having quite their proportion of play, and John Goodall sent in a “daisy cutter,” which quite beat Smalley. When the game was half-an-hour late, George Bakewell made a grand run, and a pretty centre, John Goodall again beating the Everton goalkeeper.

Derby two! Everton one! The Peakites were jubilant and justifiably so, and Archie Goodall and Roulstone, Cooper and Bakewell were working like “banned ‘n' words”. Bromage, however, feebly handled another shot and through it went, and before he opened his eyes fairly Geary had again beaten him. Everton three, Derby two, when the half time whistle blew. Then a transformation came upon the scene and the visitors might have been drugged. The Everton forwards worked like demons and they simply made rings round the Derby defence. The way Latta waltzed round Roulstone reminded one very much of a man playing against a boy, and the Evertonians were delighted. John Goodall struggled, but Holt was on his track most effectually, and for once the old Preston man had his match. Geary seemed to be playing with the younger Godall, and shot after shot rattled just round Bromage's quarters and ten minutes from half time goal four was registered. Derby people can cheer but they're not in it with the people of “toffee-land.” The Derby forwards, when they got the ball, seemed to play cleverly but the opposing backs and half-backs were on the top of them, and the Everton forwards did just as they liked in the mud – they fairly revelled in it. Dirty and dejected, the Derby defence played a losing game while their opponents seemed to improve, and Bromage was sort of target for them. Five! Six! Oh, the shouts. Seven!! Oh, the deafening yells. John Goodall looks furious and Archie ventures a sickly smile, and Higgins makes an effort to squeeze out a smile also, but he hasn't one left. At a lively quarter the gods who have evidently backed the right ones are indulging in a ditty with a rollicking chorus, and Latham and Fergie stand in the goal mouth kicking out fast and frantically, their faces being coated with about an inch of mud and two inches of grief. It is a farce, nothing short. All combination and hope is gone from the Derbyites, and the Everton backs and half-backs are actually joining in the siege, and the visitors cannot move in the mud. The ball flies just over and outside the Derby end most provokingly. Then another goal and another!! Surely the Evertonians are piling on the agony with a vengeance. Eight! Nine!! Ten!! Then the ball kindly burst and relieved the monotony and gave the players a rest.

With five minutes to play the game was resumed and the eleventh point notched on! Thus ended the memorable and disastrous chapter! The cruel spectators, in their jubilation, could not refrain from adding mild insult to injury by having a sarcastic howl and Mr. Milarvice observed “This takes the cake.” The Derby team left the ground with faces like professional undertakers. This was the heaviest beating they have ever endured and Saturday's experience will not be readily forgotten.

•  Thanks to Kjell Hanssen

January 27, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
For the second time in the course of a fortnight, have the Everton team been disappointing by the chat though had originally made fixture with, and on Saturday the Nottingham Forest team filled up the gap caused by West Bromwich Albion men having to comply with the request by Accrington to replay the English Cup tie. The weather was bright, and a strong wind was blowing this afternoon but the ground was in heavy condition as usual. The Notts Forest men, a fine looking body, dressed in conspicuous scarlet jerseys were well received by a crowd of 6,000 spectators. In the home team Waugh filled Chadwick place and Kirkwood again appeared as right half-back. The teams as follows; Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain) and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Parry, half-backs, Latta Brady, Geary, Waugh, Milward, forwards. Notts Forest:- Holland, goal, Guttridge, and Coleman, backs, Plackett (H), Jeacock, and Plackett (K), half-backs, Attewell, Smith, Jardine (R) Prothein, and Pike, forwards. The Visitors kicked of downhill, against the wind, and became aggressive, but were quickly repelled. The homesters took up the attack, though they could not effect an opening defence being very strong whilst the forwards were smart. At length a scrimmage let Milward have a shy, which was successful. The Foresters attacked several times in very smart fashion, although they had a heavy wind as well as a team to oppose, but Doyle and Hannah, without any serious exertion removed the dangers. Waugh sent in a grand long shot, the wind assisting it a great deal, which Holland handled, but he dropped the ball a couple of yards in front of his charge, and Latta running up easily scored. Parry, who stuck persistently to them, rendered a fine run by Attwell and Smith futile and Milward and Waugh sprinted up without effort. Again the Notts right wing dashed down in clever style, but had to retire before Doyle and then the ball was transferred to the other end, where Latta sent through from a pass by Geary, no point, however, accuring as the right winger was ruled off-side. Further menacing by the Evertonians ensued and Waugh brought down the “house” by notching the third point. The Foresters now played in very gamely style, the right wingers going down with determination on a couple of occasions, and finding that Doyle and Hannah were a little too good for them. The home men than had a turn at the other end, and after saving well, Holland let in a somewhat soft shot by Geary. The play for some time remained in the visiting quarters and hot shots were sent along, Guttridge interposing and using his head to great advantage, and with much skill. For a period of over Twenty minutes the Notts men had to call into requisition their best powers of defence, and had it not been for the fact that they worked to the utmost extent of their abilities their strong held would have had to succumb several times to the great strain brought upon it. Holland in goal was capital, and his management of several shots, especially a long one from off the goal line from Latta's foot was really a treat. The home men were sustaining the attack when the whistle announced half-time with the score: - Everton 4 goals Notts Forest nil.

For about five minutes after the restart there was nothing starting to record, the home teams chiety on the right wing, retaining the ball in opposing territory. A miskick by Doyle gave Attwell plenty of scope for a clear dribble to the goalkeeper, but he preferred to shoot at a long range, and Smalley for the first time in the match was compelled to clear. The ball was only at that end for a few seconds, before it was returned to the Notts half, where Holland experienced a very warm time. Milward passed across the goalmouth, and Latta headed in, the goalkeeper just managing to fist out, and then the ball was put through by Geary, the point was not allowed on account of off-side play. Again there was some exciting exchanges in the Notts goalmouth, and loose shooting lost the home team several points. A hot one was eventually sent in by Geary, and Holland only partially cleared, when Brady bounced up and placed the issue beyond doubt. Kirkwood making a fine attempt, the ball rebounding behind the line of the crossbar followed this. A very foolish pass by Doyle to Hannah nearly let the Foresters through, but fortune was on the side of the homesters, and a kick over the line spoiled everything. Then Milward went away, and passing across when within shooting distance, and Geary going down at a startling pace found himself just a second too late. Milward was cheered for a grand bit of dribbling, but he failed to break through, and following upon this the Foresters dashed off, and gave Smalley a good handful, which he very promptly threw away. A corner fell to the visitors without result, and Holt playing very cleverly gave the ball to Latta, who raced away, but carried the ball too far. Next play by Parry and the left wing nearly brought about the downfall. Bardy sending a few inches over the bar. Latta made a brilliant dribble and passed close to goal, Brady rushing up and scoring the sixth goal. Five minutes later Geary notched the seventh point. final result Everton 7 goals Notts Forest nil.

January 27, 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The above teams met in a friendly fixture on Saturday at Rice Lane, Walton the latter clubs ground. The turf was in good condition, considering the recent rain. A good number of spectators were present owing to the even result of their previous fixture great interest was centred in this match. A strong breeze prevailed across the field, which rendered accurate passing impossible. The visitors won the toss, thus having the sun and wind in their favour. Meakin commened, R Jones robbing, and the leather was rushed immediately into Aintree quarters when Godwin scored from long range. For a short time the visitors again looked like scoring; some good tactics of body relieved the presence. George ran well down, from the centre Joliffe's charge had a very narrow miss shortly afterwards Aintree had very hand lines in not scoring. From this the game was all in favour of the Reserves, the ball very seldom crossing the half way line. The wind made it impossible for the home team to either run or kick against the force. Morris the Aintree custodian was constantly repelling shots, although his defence was admirable, he was forced to succumb to a shot from D.Jones and Tibbot. Some desperate scrimmages took place in the Aintree goalmouth, but Hughes and R Jones succeeded in clearing each time. Among the forwards George seemed to be the only player who could make any headway against the gale. Meakin had hard lines with a nice pass from him. Nothing further was scored up to half-time when the score stood: - Everton Reserves 3 Aintree Church nil. On changing ends the homesters, who were aided with the breeze kept up a regular fusillade on the Reserves' goal. After pegging at Joliffe for a considerable time, Shaw succeeded in putting a couple past him, amidst great applause. The home team looked like adding, more to their score, and after pressing considerably J Jones equalized with a splendid shot, and shortly afterwards another point was scored, a very exciting game ending in favour of Aintree. Final result Aintree Church 4 goals Everton Reserves 3.

Januarty 27, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury
That the Rovers reversed previous form, and avenged a couple of defeat by thoroughly beating Everton by 5 goals to 1. Preston North End did a similar feat not long ago at Anfield-is now an old story, but the event is too important to be omitted from our weekly digest, in the first place, on the day's play there could be no doubt the better team won. Everton were off colour, and never seemed capable of getting into that firm stride that has caused so much discomfiture of late to opponents, come whence they may. The weather was bleak and the ground slippery and these deferent conditions will explain partly the failure of Everton, but not completely, for they have demonstrated latterly that they care little about mud. There was a pretty general lack of energy among the losers in the defence department, with the exception of Holt, who was in one of his most spirited moods. The forwards had too frequently to feed himselves, and were now and again very unlucky in well-directed shots missing by the narrowest of margin. The Rovers on the other hand, were seldom disappointed at a likely moment, and were enabled to take full scope of opportunities when they arose. McOwen was only too safe in goal, and Brandon and Forbes together with Dewar and Almond at half back, were superb in the respective departments, the defence especially outshining that of Everton. Whilst the evergreen Lofthouse gave further tesimerry that he is as incisive as ever on the outside right at least when at home. Townley and Campbell also stood out boldly with good forward work. Everton's consolation is in knowing they where beaten by one of the best teams ever seen, one which they have defeated twice this season, and one if they destined to meet in the National Cup. They can overthrow again.

Everton having been thrown over by West Bromwich Albion hastily made arrangements for a match with Notts Forest who should have met Birmingham St George but for the exigencies of the English Cup undecided tie. The event took very will; a large crowd influenced somewhat by the bright weather, no doubt being present at Anfield. The ground had not had time to recover from the effects of the heavy rain, and was again muddy. A breeze almost approaching a gale, also much interfered with play and so it is, perhaps as well that the Keen League match was postponed. Everton without Chadwick, who was not feeling well, and whose place was filled by Waugh, won in a canter by 7 goals to nil. The game, however, was always interesting and full of spirit throughout. Notts Forest are a very different team to Notts Rangers, and made an excellent impression for the quickness with which they went about their work. Attwell and Smith with Jardine in centre were at times very speedy, and bothered Doyle a great deal, though the latter was invariably capable of preventing, damage being done, Jeacock shone at centre half, and both Guttridges and Coleman defended capitally particularly when Everton were playing with the wind. Holland, too, made some brilliant saves, the home team also did well in turn, but was not at their best, nor were they called upon to exert themselves unduly. Kirkwood again replaced Cain, and Parry and Holt made half-back line very strong the centre contributing another masterly display in tackling and passing. All the forwards were pleasing though Geary might have made better use of his chances to score.