March 1890


March 3, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Played at Anfield on Saturday, in fine but windy weather, before about 5,000 spectators. Teams Everton: - Cox goal Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Sugg, and Parry half-backs, Briscoe Jones (R), Orr (W), Hammand, and Waugh (D), forwards. Kilbirnie: - Chambers, goal, Farrel, and Todd backs Mitchell, Lowe, and Martin half-backs, Naughton, Sheel, Mcbein, Houston, and Morgan, forwards, Referee Mr. Gough (Latta, Brady Milward, Chadwick and Holt were engaged for Lancashire against Birmingham). The visitors were the first to attack, but the venue of play was quickly removed by the aid of Parry and the Scotch goal nearly suffered a fall. McBein dropped on the ball and raced away rapidly, a good chance eventually not being of any avail. For a few minutes the home backs were busily engaged in keeping their opponents at bay, and then the homesters sustained a running fire on the Kilbirnie charge, Orr and Hammond spoling goods openings, whilst Parry did not have any luck in an excellent attempt. The pressure was well retained, and good fortune rewarded their efforts, Waugh placing the ball beautifully past the goalkeeper . The homesters pursued the same tactics in the ensuing play, and Parry headed through a second goal from a pretty centre, Briscoe made no mistake. For some time the visitors did not hold the slightest claim for notice, their opponents opening a regular cannonade on their defence, and at one time it seemed certain that a goal could not possibly be averted, the whole line of forwards having shots at a range of not more than six yards from the target. A short time afterwards, however, they received recompense for their arduous exertions by a goal, which was cleverly, head by Orr, the opportunity having been afforded by Parry in a neat pass. Notwithstanding these reverses the Kilbirnie boys played up grandly, with the result that a goal was scored from a scrimmage (Houston). They did not hold their advantageous position long, the home forwards rushing the leather down in the most approved fashion, though their movements were somewhat hampered by the sun, which dazzled in their eyes. Chambers fisted out a very stiff affair and then Waugh and he had a few friendly interchanges the visitors in the end getting the best of it, although he was in extreme danger. Again the visitors were forced to exhibit their best power of defence, the attack of their antagonists being frequent and most determined. In all departments the Evertonians were superior and they pressed right up to half time.

From the kick off the homesters settled down to the attack, and there was plenty of food for excitement, the ball being held continuously in dangerous proximity to the goalkeeper. Briscoe and Jones indulged in some very smart passing, with the result that Chambers had to kick out a fast low from Hammond. The tension did not abate, and it was only by grand play by Chambers that the leather was prevented from going through. Kilbirnie made a feeble attack, and them Hammond took possession and dribbled grandly over half the length of the field, the ball rebounding into play from inside of the upright after a pretty low shot with, which he concluded his able performance. The globe could not be removed from the visiting forwards, and Briscoe propelled a splendid long shot, the goalkeeper kicking the ball out after it had gone over the line. The Scotchmen claimed that no goal had been scored, but the referee ruled against them. Kilbirnie at last became really dangerous, and McBain gave Cox as much as he could deal with. Their attack was brief and vigorous, but Cox was too good, and his clearances were warmly applauded. The Scotch team without avail made further slight menous, and then Hammond gained possession, and after a short dribble scored the fifth goal. The same player had hard lines in immediately ensing play, Chambers grandly spoiling a similar shot to that which scored. The Kilbirnie goal had a narrow shave against Hammond's effort, but Waugh was more successful, and scored the sixth goal. Final Result: Everton 6 goals, Kilbirnie 1.



March 3, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton played off their postponed card fixture with Kilbirnie at Anfield on Saturday before a good attendance of supporters. As the Lancashire executive had selected four of the home forwards to play for their county against Birmingham and District at Birmingham, an opening was found for some of the raising talent of the Everton front rank, but with the exception of Hammond, they did not give promise of a bright football career being in store for them. The game all through was very mediate, particularly the attacking ranks and had it not been for some fine tactics displayed by the whole Everton defence, and the easy way in which Chambers the Scots custodian worked the number less shots the match would have fallen flat. Some time elspaed before Waugh was successful in opening the scoring account with a good shot, which Briscoe backed up by heading a second goal. After hemming the Scotsman in their own quarters, Waugh was successful in notching a third point and before the interval Houston scored the only goal for Kilbinie. The second portion opened in favour of the homesters, but it was not until after some persistent attacks had been made on Chambers charge that Hammond Orr and Waugh able to augment the home total, a never brilliant game ending in a win for Everton by 6 to 1. The losers barring Chambers and McBain were never in the running, and made no impression. For the winners, Cox shaped well, and had no chance with the point, which was not against him, the ball rushed through. Hannah and Doyle also played up to form, so to Frank Sugg and Kirkwood, but the forwards with the exception of Briscoe and Hammond, showed poor form, and do not seen class enough to recruit the ranks of the first team.



March 10, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

At Anfield on Saturday in fine weather, before a large number of spectators. Owing to the rain the ground was in somewhat heavy condition. Everton: - Cox goal, Hannah (Captain) and Hammond backs, Cain, Holt, and Parry, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Doyle, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. West Bromwich Albion:- Roberts goal, Green, and Walker backs, Horton (E), Perry and Bayliss, half-backs, Bassett, Nicholl, Evans, Pearson, and Wilson forwards. It will be noticed that Geary and Latta were absentees, the former being indisposed, whilst Latta had not recovered from the serious accident he sustained at Birmingham on Saturday week. The Thrusties kicked off and the homesters quickly got away on the left, Doyle getting in a clinking long shot, which Roberts bravely fisted out. Chadwick followed this up with a good screw shot, which shared the same fate at the hands of Roberts. Pretty play by Parry, Milward, and Chadwick forced a corner, which was unproductive, as were also a couple which were obtained immediately after by the united efforts of Kirkwood and Brady, who appeared to work well together. Everton were rendering the game decidedly hot for their opponents, two more corners falling to their lot, a goal nearly being handed from the last by Doyle. Parry made a magnificent attempt to score, his shot from close upon the half-way line being sent away with difficulty by Roberts. Bassett and Nicholls careered down the right in fine style, but kicked over the line, and Hammond, neatly robbed Nicholls afterwards becoming very dangerous. Again the home men gained their points of vantage and Brady almost scored with a low kick, Chadwick following with a crude effort, the ball flying over the bar. Hammond was going in capital form, and was twice applauded for smart maneuvers when his opposing wing became aggressive. Milward put in a fine run, and it looked odds on either he or Doyle scoring, but Green interposed just in times. One of the visitors nearly put the ball through his own goal from a free kick gained by Everton, but instead a corner was obtained. The kick from the corner was headed out, and then Holt returned with proper effect. After this success the Evertonians entered into the same with greatest spirit than ever, and the movements were all executed close to the visitors goal. Roberts luckily managed to get a fine shot of Doyle's away, the ball slipping off one handed, and Milward shot through, after a pass by Chadwick, but as he was clearly offside, the point was not recognized. Roberts cleared another of Parry's grand flying kicks, and treated Doyle's attempt in the same fashion. Try hard as they would the ‘”Throstles” could not force their way out, and the pressure at length resulted in another goal from Milwarrd's foot this time. Kirkwood enabling this to be done. Evans and Pearson at last broke away and compelled a grant of a corner, which did not avail them anything. Doyle kicked in, and Roberts was fortunate enough to scoop the leather out, although Brady and Milward went for him great guns. Then kirkwood, with something like Latta's alterness, passed right across the goalmouth, Milward prettily placing past the goalkeeper. Half-time result; Everton 3 goals Albion nil.

On resuming play, Hammond went to centre forward, whilst Doyle retired to his usual post. The second half was not many minutes old when Hammond glazed the upright. Bassett very nicely slipped up the right and sent along to Wilson, who shot in, Cox fumbling with the ball in the clumsiest style, but fortunately getting it away after falling on the ground. Ensuing this there was some real hairbreadth escape at the opposite end. Hammond passed across the goalmouth, Kirkwood headed in, Roberts fisted out, and Brady struck the crossbar, the ball falling into the goalkeeper's hands and being promptly put out. Still the shots were sent in, Milward and Hammond again having their attempts dealt with in the usual finished manner by Roberts. All this occurred in a few seconds within five yards of the goal, and of course R.Roberts fine exhibition was vociferously cheered. Hammond dribbled very nicely down towards Roberts, but struck to the ball to long, and had to encounter the general non-success in such eases. He obtained some compensation for this a little while after, as Bob Roberts failed to stick to the ball from one of his shot's and Chadwick scored. The Throstles were now having the wind and sun in their favour advantages, which the homesters held in the first half, and they were therefore receiving more of the play. A shot was sent to Cox who let the ball bounce out of his hands, and it was without loss of time headed through by Pearson. The home forwards, working in excellent combinations rattled the leather towards the point of the ambition, and Brady concluded with a lovely fast shot, which Roberts had no chance with, it being in fact the most workmanlike goal of the day. Hammond was playing a very smart and good game, though he evinced a tendency to retain possession of the ball too long, and he was repeatedly cheered for his adroft work in the goalmouth. A great deal of the vigour seemed to have departed from the play of the visitors, and apparently they were accepting the inevitable, Kirkwood made a good dribble from midfield and transferred to Chadwick who sent in high, Roberts handling the ball over the bar. The corner, however, was not improved upon. Final result Everton 5 goals, Albion 1.



March 10, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Mr. Molyneux, the secretary of the Everton Football Club has arranged for the Vale of Leven Football Club to visit Anfield on the 1 st of April. This club is known as one of the most powerful in Scotland, and only a few weeks ago played Queens' Park in the final of the Scottish Cup. Bring just beaten after a splendid game. Of course such a fixture as this has only been made at the expense of a heavy guarantee, but no doubt the executive of the Liverpool club will be simply repaid by a good gate, and the Liverpoolians will evince their appreciation of the efforts made to afford them the opportunity of witnessing first class football.



March 10 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

At Birkenhead, no details



March 10, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton should have met West Bromwich at the Anfield-road enclosure as far back as January 25, the Thostles preferred playing their English Cup tie with Accrington to fulfilling the League engagement and the consequence has been that the first meeting of the two combinations has evoked considerable speculation among the local footballers as to weather their team would be able to conquer, and go higher up the League ladder, and also still hold their likely chance of being champions, or whether they would have to wait a bit longer. They however, have come out of the battle victorious, and their substantial win of 5 goals to 1. On Saturday has given their followers renewed hope, that if the Prestonians fall before Accrington at the end of this week, their favourite club will at least have one honour at the end of the present successful season, that of being hailed champions of the League. Owing to sickness in the home ranks. Mr. Molyneux has been greatly embarrassed by the absence of Latta-who by the way has run a narrow risk of his life, but is now out of danger-and Geary; but he worthily filled their places by Hammond and Cain although the latter was severely handicapped by a weak ankle. The game taken on the whole was a fair one and was fast from start to finish. It was some time before the homesters could score, but when once that was accomplished two others points were added and at half time the Anfielders led by 3 goals to nil. Up to this stage Doyle had treated the spectators to some centre forward work which was greatly admired by the 10,000 spectators. In the second stage he went full back as it was surmised that with the wind helping them the Thostles would attack more forcibly than in the first stage. No sooner had the game restarted than Hammond who had gone centre, tricky waded through, and with a grand screw was within an ace of giving his side a further lead, but the honour was left to Chadwick. The visitors then eluded the opposition and Bassett crossed to Wilson who put on the only goal for the Bromwich. Keeping in hand, Everton were very troublesome, and Roberts, after saving miraculously soon had to give way to a spanking shot from Brady. No further points being added, another win for Everton was sailed with cheers when the referee blew his whistle. For the winners, Cox and Hannah and his partner left nothing to be desired, Cox's saves and the backs defence never bring founded wanting. Holt and Parry gave their opponents no end of trouble, and rarely allowed then to get close in the home quarters. Cain did fairlywell considering his injury. Of the forward's all combined and played the winning game, Doyle shaped favorably in centre and might often be tried there with advantage to his club, while Kirkwood ably partnered Brady, particularly in the second half. For the losers Roberts was in his best form, and it mainly owes to his splendid saves that the scoring was left as it is. The backs failed to be thorns to the home van. While the half-backs were outplayed by the fine tactics of the Evertonians forwards, they were strongest and at times their combination was good but Bassett seldom if ever got the upper hands of Parry.



March 11, 1890. The Daily Post

This match was played at Ardwick last evening. The ground being illuminated by means of well's lights Everton were minus Geary, Holt, and Latta whilst Ardwick had the assistance of H.B.Daft (Notts County) Bakewell (Derby County) Lea (Southport Central) and another. Mr.Chester Thompson a local gentleman started the ball before 6,000 spectators. Everton straight away began to pass and after a couple of fruitless corners, Brady scored a goal. This performance he repeated before the conclusion of the first half. Immediately on cross over, a third goal was registered by Everton which was followed by give and take play of fast character but no further points was added, the final score being Ardwick nil Everton 3 goals. Teams Everton: - Cox goal, Hannah (Captain), and Hammond (H), backs, Cain Sugg (F), and Parry, half-backs Kirkwood, Brady, Doyle, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.



March 17, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

This League match was played at Anfield on Saturday, in beautiful weather about 9.000 present. The teams were as follows ; Everton: - Cox, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Cain, Sugg, and Parry, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Jamieson, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Derby County: - Bunyan goal, Latham, and Ferguson, backs, Williamson Goodall (A) and Roulson, halfbacks, Bakewell, Cooper, Higgins, Holmes, and Milarvie forwards . It will be noticed that Everton were weak, while the County were without J.Goodall. The game was a rare fast one at the start, the visitors putting forth their best energies and getting to the Everton goal, where Hannah repelled. Chadwick and Milward reached the other side by means of pretty play, but the latter's shot went high. The County men then took up the running, and held the advantage for a few minutes, but Doyle and Hannah offering a sterling resistance to all attacks averted any Chances. The homesters had a look in, but the shots were not very accurate, though Sugg have a very good attempt, the ball just clearing the crossbar. Jamieson had a good opening, but he lost the ball, and Milward coming up at this juncture ran it though, a claim of offside against him being sustained. Brady had a good day sly, and then the Derby men raised away, Cox having to throw out. Nothing of any moment occurred although the visitors kept the ball in the home quarters for a short time. Milward and Chadwick again sprinted off and Ferguson cleverly robbed Milward off a golden chance, right in the goalmouth. Bakewell had a fine rush down the right, and held a clear run, when Doyle managed to overhaul him. The Evertonians lay down to business with great spirit, but they could not break through the defence, the goalkeeper, however, narrowly escaping disaster several times. They peppered away for a long while, but Latham and Ferguson offered a most stubborn defence, and would not permit the ball to venture too far. Bakewell and Cooper pattered along in gallant style, and danger was apparent. Hannah, however, getting up just in time to stop further progess. Archie Goodall shot over, and then the homesters rattled off to the opposite end. Where the ball was sent apparently past Bunyan by Milward. A claim for goal was made, but not allowed. Higgins was the hero of a very fine run and effort to score, his shot being neatly cleared by Cox. Everton were attacking at half time, up to which period nothing had been scored. After the restart Everton continued the offensive movement and Bunyan, had his work cut out, when he was called upon to deal with a couple of shots from Brady's foot. There was a great many exchanges between the backs, the forward play being somewhat at a discount. Jamieson was just beginning to feel his position, the attack previously having suffered owing to want of acquaintance with the style of the Everton forward play. The home team were having distinctly hard lines, the pressure being all in their favour. A free kick was obtained in the goalmouth, and a goal nearly resulted Bunyan smartly getting rid while several of his opponents were upon him. Bakewell careered beautifully up the field, and had a good chance, Hannah however, stepping in and spoiling his fond hopes. At length a goal cheered the hearts of the spectators, Ferguson heading through his own goal in an endeavour to clear a shot. No sooner was the kick off made than Milward dashed along and passed to Chadwick. The last mentioned player took the ball a little further down, and the transferred to Milward, who scored with a clinking had shot. The visitors stove hard to lesson the lead, but were unluck, some capital maneuvers made in front of Cox, all failing in the end. Kirkwood made a splendid, and enable his mates to open a vigorous fusillade, which came to nought. Owing to Bunyan's very fine repellent tactics, Williamson being kind enough to kick up a third goal for his opponents under almost precisely similar circumstances as the first case. Final result, Everton 3 goals Derby County nil.



March 17, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

A large company assembled at the Anfield enclosure on Saturday to witness the last of the eleven League matches. The weather was most enjoyable, and the ground in excellent trim, condition which favoured a great and brilliant display, but this was hardly realized for obvious reasons. Neither Derby County nor Everton could put their full team in the field; but the home club was the greatest from absenteeism. The visitors were minus J.Goodall letting in Holmes; otherwise they were strong. Everton unlike Preston North End, allowed the members of their team selected for international distinction to avail themselves of the honour to the full; and, in addition to the loss of Holt and Geary the invaluable assistance of Latta, who is progressing most satisfactorily and is taking a short holiday in Scotland was denied the Everton club. For the emergency Jamieson rendered neighborly help at centre forward. Kirkwood again partnered Brady and Frank Sugg made a tall substitute for little Holt. This was Everton's amended and temporary formation, and it cannot be voted an unqualified success though it worked sufficiently well to win substantially by 3 goals to 0. There was much unsteadiness among the home forwards at the start, but an improvement was variable at times as the game progressed. Everton, on the whole, had somewhat the advantage during the first half, but, through lack of dash and method in front of goal was unabled to score. Higgins on the other hand, was dangerous several times, but Cox was in an unusually vigilant mood and saved splendidly a grand shot and so ends changed with no goals recorded. Everton were much persistent in the second half, and attacked rather monotonously, but could not work the ball through. At length, when pressed, Ferguson in endeavouring a head away, steered the ball into his own goal, and presented Everton with a long-denied and anxiously wished for goal. There was a shout of banter at this contretemps which befell Derby, but the point was received with welcome all the same, for the visitors of a draw and possibly a defeat, began to picture themselves, and that, had it been realised would have upset the League championship coach. A moment later, however, Milward scored a magnificent goal, and was the recipient of a thunders ovation. Time was now getting short, and Derby went down smartly, but Milarvie and Holmes at an opportune moment. Everton were now slow to take advantage of Derby's mistake, and soon Williamson bring similarly to Ferguson in putting through his own goal. With three points to the bad, Derby rallied well, but never could score, and so Everton won their 21 st League match with a substantial margin. The home forwards as stated did not coaleance nicely, the wings were clever, particularly the left; but they did not understand Jamieson's style of play, nor did the Bootle captain seem to gasp the ideas of the wingmen. Altogether, Jamieson was not a success he tried hard to please, passing most unselfishly to the sides but he was generally voted into slow. The home halves too were not at their best though Sugg did some splendid heading. Both Hannah and Doyle were in great form, and gave about as good an exhibition of back play as the most exacting Evertonians could desire. Cox was also pleasing. Derby were strong in defence, and Archie Goodall best of all, though the lost his temper once or twice. Higgins was a most brilliant centre forward, but was badly supported. Bakewell and Milarvis having no chance against Boyle and Hannah.



March 17 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Ireland v England. England winning 9-1 at Belfast, Holt playing at centre-half, and Geary at centre forward. Geary opens the scoring for England and also scoring the fifth goal and his hat-trick goal in the eighty minute, in front of 6,000 spectators, at Ballynafeigh Park.



March 18, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The Liverpool senior cup semi-final

This, the second of the penultimate in the Liverpool Challenge Cup Competition was decided at the Anfield enclosure last evening presence of close upon 4,000 spectators, and as generally anticipated Everton gained a very easy victory, the visitors (who were without Sidderley) being overmatched throughout. Shortly before five o'clock Earlestown started the ball, and cheers were raised when the visitors ranged themselves in front of the Everton posts, which, however was not seriously menaced, for a moment later Jenkinson was engaged in vigorously fisting out of goal. Chadwick next essayed a shot over the bar, closely following which Milward and Geary opened the home account, the former with a beauty from the left which few custodians could have saved. On restarting the visitors made a brief incursion within the home lines, which being repelled, Chadwick shot through goal almost from the extreme corner of the field of play. The Earsletown were still subjected to considerable pressure, during which Milward and Geary essayed shots in vain. Holt dribbled beautifully, and after a vigorous fusillade the obdurate sphere again passed outside. This disappointment however, did not matter much, for after Holt had again executed the initial movements Brady and Chadwick were each contributor to the score. Earlestown were cheered on securing a “corner” but as nothing come of it the ball speedily found its way to the opposite end of the field, and in a trice a sixth goal came from Brady's foot. Although Earlestown were hopelessly overmatched they once broke clear away, but “hope told a flattering tale,” and the ball being played over the line spoiled the effort. Barely a minute had elapsed when Brady scored a seventh goal this being the third piloted thorough by that exceedingly clever player. A further point having been gained by Geary the same player succumbed to the “charge” of a couple of players just when goal was within easy reach. Jenkinson was certainly having a bad time of it, but confronted by aries of “well saved” nothing more was score up to the change of ends, when the game stood eight goals to nil against Earsletown. On restarting, Holt was entrusted with goal, and Cox went to centre half, laughter bring evoked by the international “fisting out” at least twenty yards in front of the posts. Again Earlestown were heavily pressed, and for a minute or so the ball was hovering ominously in front of the visitors goal, which at this time Jenkinson defended well. At length Kirkwood accomplished it downfall by a vicious shot, whilst a moment later Brady in a stinger with a fatal result. At this juncture Holt, owing to an injury was compelled to leave the field, and in close following J.Shaw scored an encouraging point for the visiting side. For a length of time the Earlestown custodian withstood the attacks of the opposing side, but eventually let a shot from Brady slip through his hands. Kirkwood took a succession of corners, from the third of which the player named followed up smartly and scored the twelfth goal for his side. Later on Cox was for the second time beaten as a shot by J.Shaw completely beat Smalley's successor in goal. Directly afterwards Gear scored the thirteenth goal for Everton, the crowd being jubilant in the extreme. Although Everton were now playing at a numerical disadvantage, they had much the best of the day, and with an unsuccessful shot from the foot of Milward a one-sided game was brought to a close and Everton will now meet Bootle (Holders of the trophy) in the final tie. Teams; Everton: - Cox, goal, Hannan (Captain), and Doyle backs, Cain, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Earlestown: - Jenkinson, goal, Green and Allison backs, Bowker, Fazakerley, and Gouldston, half-backs, Conway, Morris, Lee, Shaw (H), and Shaw (J) forwards.



March 24, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The Everton team travelled to West Bromwich on Saturday in order to play the last of their League fixtures. The weather was very fine, and there was an attendance of about 4,000 spectators. The visitors were minus Latta, teams as follows; West Bromwich: - Roberts goal, Powell, and Green backs Bayliss, Perry and Horton (E), half-backs, Pearson, Wilson, Evans, Nicholls and Bassett forwards. Everton: - Cox, goal, Hannah (Captain) and Doyle backs, Cain, Holt and Parry, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward.forwards . The visiors kicked off, and tracks were made for the opposite end. No stay was made there, but the throstles did not get along very well. chadwick and Milward making another attack, the home left went off and passed across Nicholls, who sent in too high. Chadwick and Milward again excuted a beautiful dribbling movement, Roberts just managing to scoop away a fine ground shot by Chadwick. At the other end matters became lively for the Everton backs, Doyle sending the ball away very cleverly at the right moment. With the wind at their backs the West Bromwich men were vigorously aggressive, and Doyle and Hannah were several taxed in endeavouring to keep their antagonists at bay. Again the visitors freed themselves, and Chadwick and Geary were nearly scoring. The home forwards made another advance, and trying to repel, Holt conceded a corner, from which, Evans scored. The Everton left went to the front, but could not effect any opening, and the Throstles again seizing their opportunity rattled away and forced another corner, which was this time not so successful. Milward made every effort to perform the necessary, and Geary shot just outside. After Roberts returned the homesters had some exciting tussles in front of the Everton charge, a stubborn resistance, however, being offered. Pearson scored the second goal, with a fast, low shot, Cox being wide of the ball at the time. The homesters were certainly holding the upper hand in this half, and the Evertonians could scarcely do more than make transitory visits to the point of their labours. The greatest advantage was, however, taken of the wind, as several capital pieces of play were nearly totally denuded of interest by the indiscreet long kicks, which sent the ball over the line. Nicholls sent in a fine one, Cox making it glance off his hands and Pearson propelling a beauty a few inches from the uprights. During a flying visit to the Albion quarters Chadwick was offered a good thing, but he failed to reap any benefit from it. The home left went off in their best form, with the result that Pearson shot in, the ball, however, being splendidly sent off by Cox. It was promptly returned through the posts, but as Holt had just a few seconds previously claimed for a foul against him, the score was not allowed. The whole line of visiting forwards combined in the finest style, and puzzled the home backs not a little, Brady in conclusion kicking the ball over the crossbar. A free kick was allowed, the Albion a yard in front of Cox, but notwithstanding this loophole could not be discovered, and there was again safety for a little time. Half-time- Albion 2 goals; Everton nil.

The offensive was immediately taken up by Everton after the kick off, and at once the vexatious trails of the forward's commenced, Geary and Brady each having the misfortune to see brave efforts by then thwarted. For a considerable time the play was most uninteresting, very little unity of purpose being shown amongst either set of forwards. Wilson, who met a quick high pass from Bassett, very adroitly headed a third goal. This goal should not, however, have been allowed, as it was almost directly scored after a throw-in from the touchline, which was made by the homesters, though it was perfectly clear to all the spectators at that point, that the globe did not trepass beyond the limit. The “Throstles” were at this time going in pretty good style, and the Everton backs were obliged to best; themselves. Though spirited attempts were made to increase the score no disaster occurred and the visitors took a turn at the besieging business, Cain, Kirkwood, and Brady, out in some very fine bits of play, and it seemed impossible for Roberts to clear himself, but he did it somehow. Chadwick had the chance of an open dribble, from which he could have scored, but Green, seeing the danger, deliberately tripped his opponents and from the foul the ball was rescued from advantageous quarter. Geary notched the first and only goal for the visitors, after the ball had been fisted out several times. The Throstles were not done, however, and Evans scored again. A most uninteresting game, and an exhibition of football, far from first class.



March 24, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Considerable interest was taken in this match, but unfortunately the rain kept many of the Everton supporters away. There was, however, a good attendance on the Anfield road enclosure to welcome the famous Welsh team on their first appearance in this district. The following teams faced - Everton: - Murray goal, Jones (WP) and Rodgers, backs Martin, Jones, and Nidd half-backs, Abbott, Briscoe, Orr, Hammond, and Godwin forwards Wrexham: - Turner (RE), goal, Evans (FT), and Ollerhead (J) backs, Davies (E), Hayes (A) and Hughes (WJ) half-backs, Oswald Davies, Davies (R), Wilding (J), Turner (WH), and Lea (A) forwards. It will be sten Wrexham were short of two of their forwards, who were playing against Scotland. Punctual to time Wilding kicked off and Everton were the first to show prominently; Briscoe and Abbott being the chief performers. Martin sent in a hot shot, which was splendidly kept out by Turner, who was cheered for his fine save, Hammond checked the visitors right wing, only to see the leather well returned by Davies and play for some time in the home half. Martin and Nidd removed play to the centre, but, coming again the visitors gave the home defence plenty to do. Abbott broke away, but the Welsh half-backs who were playing a strong game, quickly gave the leather to their front rank who could however, do little against Jones and Hammond. Jones saved a grand shot from the foot of Hughes, at the expense of an abortive corner, and saved his side from a certain goal. Even play followed until, the home left broken away, and Godwin had hard lines with a shot, which just went outside. Orr was cheered for a grand run down the centre, but is colleagues backed up badly, and a splendid chance was thrown away. Jones followed suit, and threaded his way amongst the Evertonians with great skill, until W. P.Jones robbed him of the ball and transferred the venue, and again the visitor's fortress had a narrow escape. Briscoe missing an easy chance to score, to the evident disappointment of the crowd forwards ended a grand rush by the home. Everton were now having nearly all the game, Turner saving shots by Abbott and Orr in quick succession. Half-time arrived with the sheet blank, neither side having scored.

Orr kicked off after the interval, and rushed the leather right to the visitors' goal, but the defence was too good and play was removed to the centre. Everton did not allow the play to rent long there, and play again was in front of the Wrexham goal. Orr tried a long shot, which nearly came off, Turner only just keeping it out. At length Everton put it through, but to the chagrin of the Everton supporters, the referee decided there had been a previous foul, and disallowed what seemed to be a perfectly fair goal. An exciting scrimmage next took m place in front of the visitors' fortress, the ball hovering in the goalmouth in a tantalizing manner, but Turner kept his charge intact in champion style and the danger was averted. Keeping up the pressure, Everton sent in grand shots, one by Briscoe beating Turner amidst the enthusiastic cheers of the excited spectators. Orr forwards ended another rush by the home, from a pass by “Dicky” Jones beating Turner for the second time. Everton continued to have all the game, but could not increase the score, and the Welshmen brokeaway and tested Murray, who saved neatly, but Nidd gave a corner, which was futile. Briscoe made a pretty run, but lost his head, and his good play came to nougat. Final result: - Everton Reserves 2 goals, Wrexham nil.



March 24, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton wound up a successful League season on Saturday at Birmingham by returning home ignominiously beaten by a club which, a fortnight ago, they so easily overthrow with a scratch crew at Anfield, and instead of North End having to beat Notts County next Thursday, a draw to the Prestonians will give them the much-coveted honour of being the League champions. The follows of the Everton team are thoroughly annoyed with the last display of their favourites and are unanimous it the opinion that they never saw the club play worse. Had they only shown their usual aptitude, and pulled themselves together in the second half, when they had the hill in their favour, victory must have rested with them; but instead of coolness setting in, they got even more erratic, and thereby threw away many a golden chance of scoring. While commenting on the match, it may not be out of place to remind a few of the players that having too many captains in the team is sure to end disastrously to their clun's aim- that of making Everton one of the strongest Association teams in the country. Losing the toss was another disadvantage to the visitors, and it is probable that if they had been successful in the spin they might also have been successful with the game as not only had they the big hill to face, but a strong wind prevented their usually fine passing movements being troublesome to the opposing defence; and every time the Evertonians van got to the home quarters the ball only required touching, and the wind and slope did the remainder. The game opened fast, and after a few minutes of give and take play in midfield, the Anfielders were first to visit the goalmouth, but a fairly good opening was not taken advantage of. Although the Throstles had if anything, the best of the game, it took them ten minutes before they found an opening. It was now Everton turn to get the upper hand, but Roberts the Bromwich custodian, frustrated their well-intentioned shots, and it was not long before a second point was added to the Albion's score. Just before the interval Everton aroused themselves and played up stubbornly, and before Brady could shake them off Geary from a pass, shot one between the posts. Which, however, was successfully appeared against for offsides. After the interval, it looked odds on the visitors winning, as they were seldom away from the home end, but they either would not allow for the slope, or else they were stubborn, and wild and erractic shots were the order of the day. Everton at this juncture were called on to play steadily, and were seemingly going to do so when a wrong claim that the ball was over the line, stopped a grand movement by Brady and Kirkwood on the right, and from the throw-in the Throastles got third third goal. The piece of hard luck did not dishearten the visitors, as brushing aids the somewhat suspicious tactics of the homesters; Geary put one through between Roberts's legs, and scored the only goal for his side. Towards the close the homesters made a temporary incursion and mainly through Parry and Doyle each missing their kicks. Cox succumbed to a shot from Evans, which brought a tame and poorly contested game to a close. The winners all round played a winning, if not a skillful game, and were backed up by their umpire as a twelfth man. Roberts in goal, was a lost in himself, and was ably defended by Perry at half-back. Bayliss seemed to look after the man instead of the ball, and was never pleasing. Of the forwards Bassett and Evans were far ahead of the others, although Pearson was at times useful. Cox, in goal for the losers might have played better, he did some useful points, however, but was not well backed up by the rest of the defence, who with the exception of Holt, never got properly warmed to their work; and to them and Geary and the ambitiousness of Chadwick, the defeat of Everton is due. Geary perhaps should not have played seeing that he is suffering from a slight sprain to his ankle, and has to take part in the trial match at Nottingham to day. It may be here stated that Mr.Molyneux was unable to accompany his team owing to a severe illness, and it is sincerely hoped he may soon be able to again take his place as head of the club.


March 25 1890. The North-Eastern Daily Gazette

Geary, one of the Everton players, was seriously injured while taking part in the international trial match at Nottingham yesterday.



March 29, 1890. The Liverpool Courier.

Our readers will be pleased to hear that this popular player arrived in Town yesterday, and with in all probability take his place on the right wing, in the match against Bootle today. In conversation with him he stated that he feels little the worse of what at one time seemed likely to be a most serious accident when representing his adopted County (Lancashire) against Birmingham. His friends, across the border tried hard to persuade him to remain at home, but he felt that through the sad accident which has befallen Geary, that his club would require his services, and he therefore made his mind up to play, providing he can obtain his doctor's permission.



March 31, 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The weather was beautifully fine, and the spectators tolled up in shoals there being quite ten thousand persons on the ground, when the teams faced. Holt was away at Gorton Villa preferring, as it was said, to assit the Reserves than play against his old club. Latta, too, found it impossible to turn out, and Weir and Cain took their places. Teams as follows: - Bootle: - Jardine, goal, goal, Evans and Woods, backs, Kilner, Hughes, and Campbell, half-backs, Wood (J), Galbraith, Jamieson (Captain), Howell, and Jones forwards. Everton: - Cox, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Cain, Weir, and Parry, half-backs Kirkwood, Brady, Hammond, Milward, and Chadwick, forwards.

Bootle won the toss, and Hammond started against the wind and sun, the Bootle left at once making an inroad into their opponents quarters. A smart bit of passing between Jones and Howell called forth an effort of Hannah, who was loudly cheered for staying the dangerous onset. Milward was making away will the ball when Kilner deftly robbed him and a free kick against Doyle, one of the Everton full backs, put Bootle again well in front Jones shot, over, and when the ball came down Milward made a dash for the Bootle goal, beating Evans and sending in a terrific shot which Frank Woods just reached in time. Campbell eased the Everton right of the ball, when it had been shot across, and the Bootle left again went down in clever combination. Hannah interposed, but Campbell met the ball, and with a fine kick, put it to the toe of Galbraith. That player hard pressed by Doyle, shot high over the bar. Bardy and Kirkwood next came into notice with a fine passage down the Everton right, and getting close in an attempt was made to get through on the left. Evans kept Milward off the ball, which rolled harmlessly over the line. At this point some feeling was displayed owing to a penalty against Kilner, Gailbraith was also hurt, and after a run down Everton got a splendid chance, but Kirkwood shot into Jardine's hand, who in saving was badly kicked. Hannah sent the ball over to Jones who passed right to Chadwick. He in turn gave Milward a chance which was availed of to the fullest extent, Woods showing his opponents off the ball not a second too early. Hammond was given a fine chance, but he made a very but use of it. Jones and Howell slipped towards the aim of their labour, and in the ensuning play in front of goal it was with the greatest difficulty that the visiting backs could keep their antagonists at bay. Galbraith was far from sure when the ball was offered to him, and he failed to take advantage of one or two good things. As the result of one of these Chadwick got possession, and the whole line going away in neat procession looked far from uneventful, Kirkwood eventually spoiling all by bring placed offside. Chadwick immediately afterwards sent one over the crossbar, about a foot high, and Brady gave Jardine a good fistful a minute later. Jimmy Woods was loudly cheered for some persistent work with the opposing wing and half back playing on him. Doyle and Galbraith were apparently about to get to loggerheads, but equanimity was restored to all appearances for the time. The home forwards then sustained running attack on the opposing citadel, some of the “Leaders” having a narrow escape from finding a weak spot. Kilner put amends strongly over the goal line, after the goal kick; however, the Evertonians could not improve their positions for a short period though they were fortune in escaping disaster in the meantime. There was then a rapid serious of changes from end to end. Campbell and Howell having very hard luck on the one side, and Brady and Chadwick being equally disconmtited at the opposite end. At length the ice was broken, a free kick was award to the homesters about a quarter of the length from the goal. Campbell sent along the ground to Jones, from whose foot the ball cannoed on to an Everton man and then bounded through the posts over the head of Cox. To say that least of it this point was obtained somewhat luckily. Chadwick, after the kick off, made a magnificent run, but Evans knocked him off the globe, when the probability of getting a goal was looking bright. Bootle got a second goal from the corner kick, J.Woods had nicely placed Howell shooting nicely through after the leather to him. Everton were forcing the game, when at half time the score stood: - Bootle 2 goals Everton nil.

On recommencing play Brady lost on time in finding his way to the ball, and going off in pretty style a corner was forced. This was improductive, but the homesters could not shake their “clear friends” off try as hard as they could. A free kick fell to the lot of the Anfielders, but then Hannah kicked high over the bar. An exciting scrimmage followed in front of Jardine the ball being headed from one to another, and Kirkwood eventually headed just a little too far. The home team made an advance, but were quickly repulsed and Milward, getting well hold, put forth all be could, Frank Woods, however, shooting him off as he became much too prominent. Jamieson had a good chance of distinguishing himself by an open run but as he waited for his companions the offering fell to the ground. A free kick was obtained by the visitors not many year's from the goalmouth and from this a goal was almost scored, Jardine grandly catching the ball just under the bar after it had rebounded from Bootle man. The Evertonians were doing most of the pressing, but luck did not make any effort on their behalf, Jardine in fisting out a shot sent the ball hard against Hammond, from whom it bounded with but slightly discreased force again the upright and then passed outside. Woods and Galbraith went off, and gave to Jamieson who transferred to Howell. But the player although he made a very cool attempt was a little inaccurate in the direction of his shot. After this the Everton left wing broke away, and Chadwick scored with a grand oblique shot, to the delight of their supporters. The Bootle men after this reverse plucked up a little, and displayed rather more vigour, and speed in their attacks. There was however, no reward for all three well-meant efforts, and the Evertonians making a path on the right, commenced a fierce onslaught on the Bootle battlefields, the play becoming almost painfully exciting. Kirkwood put the ball beautifully to the left wing, and although four men at once dropped upon it with the intention doing their level best to force it through. Jardine upset all inclinations by clearing the ball right away from their heads. There was further attacking by the homesters, and Jones sent in a pretty shot with which Cox would not have had the retuotest chance had it been slightly lower. Again the visitors took up the running and woods narrowly escaped making a fearful mistake, as he headed the ball on to the crossbar. Another rush, another grand save by Jardine, and a corner kick to Everton. The pressure continued and at Length Hammond rushing round, Evans sent in a magnificent shot past Jardine. The Evertonians cheered rapturously, and when, from a free kick, the visitors came down in a vehement rush, it looked odds on. Everton getting the lead . Jardine, however, saved grandly, and the ball was driven on the Bootle left. The pass across found the home right missing, and Doyle got the ball again to the Hawthorne-road goal. After a corner do Everton, Parry hardly hurt and went to full back. Doyle going half-backs, the latter signalized his promotion by a long cross shot, which, however, went wide. An attempt by Jones to get away was nipped by Hannah, Brady making a return journey and being stayed by Evans just in time. Final result Bootle 2 goals Everton 2 goals.



March 31, 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

The second meeting this season of Everton and Bootle, despite the poor show latter made on Boxing day, aroused as much or more interest on Saturday then ever, and the great assembly at Hawthorne-road confirmed how strongly the Liverpool public appreciate these tussles for local supremacy, and then nothing charms so completely as a sturdy bout between the pride of Everton, and the hope of Booth. Fortunately the weather was of the best quality- a new experience to Bootle when they have a special item of attraction-and the condition of course helped to swell the number of these who made a pilgrimage they would not otherwise have done to the plains of the Hawthorne road district. The ground was filled to inconvenience long before four o'clock, and still hundreds clamored for admission; the enclosure by the time all was ready for a start fairly overflowed. These who could not find a place inside availed themselves of any coigne of vantage that was of hand, and some sat patiently on top of the fence, whilst beyond, the roots of sheds and even houses had their occupaths. It was truly a great and grand assembly, and the spectacle was worth a visit alone, ranking as is well. As the largest ever yet seen on the Bootle ground. The number was probably fully 12,000 and it was fortunate Bootle have better stand accommodation now than last year, or the field of play would have been with difficulty kept clear. The prices of admission were doubled, and so the Bootle club will receive a good fanatical lift, such a one as they have long signed for. The game was very much like all those inter-club contests have been-severe fast, exciting, always interesting with a dash, an unwelcome dash certainly of questionable play thrown in by way of variety. Everton were of course without Geary, letting in Hammond and Latta acting on the doctor's advice, stood out, and watched the fortunes of warfare from the reserved enclosure on the covered stand. Holt asked to be excused not feeling quite well enough to play a spirited game against his old club, and so he went to help the reserves vainly stem off a defeat at Gorton Villa reappeared at half back. Kirkwood joining Brady. Bootle were fortunate in having a strong team, including a new man in the period of Howell, of Builth, who has assisted Wales in the international matches this year. He partnered Jones on the left. Jamieson going centre. Morris was left out, McFarlane enjoyed a rest, and Evans and Woods were the backs, the half-backs being the usual trio. Everton had the wind and sun against them, during the first half and though Bootle scored at this stage the only two goals, the play on the whole was very even. On turning round, however, Bootle were kept almost continuously on the defensive, but though the attack of Everton was relentless and exceptionally keen, it resulted in merely making the game even at two all when Mr. Gough gave the signal for a cessation of hostilities. Everton beyond doubts played the strongest game, and but for the splendid way in which Jardine repeatedly stopped shots that seemed impossible to arrest, the visitors must have returned to Anfield with a substantial victory. Both the Everton wings combined nicely, but Chadwick was not uniformly good at shooting, through nothing could have surpassed the quality of the shot with which he scored the first Everton goal. Whilst Kirkwood marred otherwise finished work by poaching, Parry and Cain especially the former, did some clever wing play, but Weir fagged though always trying, towards the finish. Doyle and Hannah were in fine form, the left back being particularly successful in heavy work as Galbriath and he were ever coming into collision, which was not at a rule of the gentless embrace. Cox had not much to do, and can hardly be complimented on what he did. Like Jamieson if in a less degree Woods and Evans were strong defenders, and the half-backs were up to standard, Kilner and Campbell being invariably effective especially in front of goal. Howell and Jones were the strongest wing, Gailbrath worked hard, but Wood was timid as truffles. Jamieson was very fast at centre, but he lacked pace, and would have done better perhaps had he been less unselfish. A draw game be a satisfactory termination to the executives of the Liverpool Association for it will increase the receipts at the impending final tie at Hawthorne-road on Wednesday week.