October 1889

October 1 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
This return match was played at Anfield last evening, before 8,000 spectators. Everton had their usual team, whilst Wanderers were represented by the same as played at Wolverhampton except that J.Cooper played instead of Knight, who unfortunately broke his leg at Stoke on Saturday. The Visitors followed up their kick-off well until stopped by Farmer but J.Cooper got a shot in, which went wide. Everton's left wing and centre relieved in a good run, but were pulled up in time by Baugh. Nothing came from a foul against Wood. Everton, however, continued to attack and after a free kick had passed the ball through harmlessly, Kirkwood gave to Latta, who screwed across hard into Rose's hands. Chadwick taking on from the throw out, and scoring. Wolverhampton made ground on the left, and when Hannah had let the ball pass through his legs the outlook was an anxious one, but Parry rushed in and put into touch. Play grew fast and exciting, and both ends were visited alternately, Baugh conceding a corner, and Smalley fisting out from Fletcher's shot. A dashing run by Everton's right wing resulted in Mason getting the worst of a charge against kirkwood as he fell winded, and gathering strength from the breathing time thus afforded, the Wanderers went off with energy, but the home team at once led the way down the hill, a nice passing run by Kirkwood, Latta, Geary, and Chadwick, resulting in the latter lifting over the bar. A free kick next fell to either side and from that taken by Doyle Everton got well down. Allen interposed, but Parry placed himself in control, and sent to the right where a neat bit of play ended in Chadwick, from Milward, testing Rose with a stringing shot near the post. Continuing the pressure, Everton were awarded a free kick, but nothing resulted from the scrimmage, Whilst Mason saved well from Kirkwood's screw kick. Wykes after Parry with the help of Hannah, had beaten Booth, ran strongly and passed to the right. Farmer missed the kick and let in Worrall, but only for a goal-kick, which brough about half-time with the score Everton 1 goal, Wanderers nil. Holt started the ball on resuming, Everton now having to face the wind and hill. The Wanderers ran down the centre. Hannah checked, but, returning Doyle sent up to Geary, who ran in his best form and shot well, Rose kicking out. Everton then tried a movement on the right, culminating in Parry lifting over. Mason contributed some good back play especially in stopping a well-directed lob by Holt. Wolverhampton tried to make way on the right, but Holt eased Cooper, Hannah finally clearing and the home team were again busy in front. Chadwick just put outside the post, and with this escape Worrall got near enough to take aim, the ball rising a bot too high. The Wanderers were now seen to much better advantage keeping play well in their opponents half, but Smalley saved twice splendidly with his fist. A third attempt gave a foul on the line, in the goalmouth, a critical position, which gave some uneasiness from an Evertonians point of view. Doyle, however, was in the way, and relief came when the ball was seen gliding outside the post. A run of the home right changed the venue, and as the result of some skirmishing at close quarters. Latta shot well, without effect. The Wanderers were early back again, but Doyle and Hannah were able to beat off the raids. Latta and Kirkwood went up in a strong run, but an off-side appeal prevented a shot being made. And then there was a retaliatory move by the visitors' leftwing, Smalley finding it essential to come out in order to clear, which he did cleanly. Everton, however, were kept on the defence, except for one or two good sprints by Geary, who generally found his match in Mason or Baugh. At this juncture, Allen got hurt in a fall, and retired; and then came a surprise. Immediately the ball was left loose, Wykes dashed off and scored, thus making the score even, Everton, too, were on the alert, and from the kick-off Geary replied with an equally good run and shot, but Rose was just in time to turn the ball aside. Again Geary went up, and again Rose cleared. The Nottingham man tried another burst, but Kirkwood lost possession. Booth also went down at great speed, which called up all Hannah's activity to defend his goal. Everton at once returned to attack hard, and dashed in several times, but were always battled, and a magnificent game, with a most exciting wind up, terminated in a draw 0f 1 goal each.
Teams Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Parry, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Kirkwood, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards, Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Rose, goal, Baugh, and Mason, backs, Fletcher, Allen, and Lowder, half-backs, Cooper (J), Worrall, Wykes, Wood, and Booth forwards. Referee Mr Fitzroy Norris.

October 2, 1889. The Liverpool Daily Post.
As the meeting of the above associations, held at London on Monday night, after hearing an explanation on Brady's behalf from Everton, Club's secretary, it was decided that the aforesaid professional's term of suspension should expire on the 31 st inst.

October 7 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
This League fixture was played at Derby, on Saturday before 5,000 spectators. In the early part of the game rain fell heavily, which caused the ball to be greasy, and the ground soft. Through Geary suffering from a wound, in the leg, Orr was requisitioned as centre forward. This change sorely handicapped the visitors, as they went with a full determination to repeat their previous success. Hannah lost the spin, and Orr started against the wind. Away the visitors darted through Chadwick getting possession, and soon they experienced hard lines, as it was a bit of luck on the part of A.Williamson in clearing a beautiful shot from the Blackburn lad. The brothers Goodall asserted themselves and got within range, but were cleverly robbed by Parry. Some misjudgment on the part of Everton's centre enabled the homesters to have another try for goal, but found Hannah at his best. J.Goodall again got hold, and sent in a clinking shot to Smalley, who cleared admirably. The visitors after this got well away, and for a considerable time bemmed the County, they having to grant two successive corners, before danger was allayed. A grand bit of work on the part of Higgins, who took the ball right through, nearly ended in Derby scoring. Everton backs and halves were applauded for always successfully stalling off the determined attacks of the home rank, but the disorganization of the visitors' forwards caused their good work to go for nought. Bakewell rushed down, and neatly crossed over to Cooper, the latter parting by calling on Smalley with a fine shy, but the Evertonians was equal to the task. The County, Hill advancing made various invasions, and A.Goodall sent a shot wide of the post. From the goal kick Latta and Kirkwood were conspicuous in their neat passing up the right, which brought forth a hearty round of applause from the spectators, but nothing tangible was the outcome. Higgins and J.Goodall kept themselves busy and hovered round the visitors' quarters, but Doyle, Hannah and Farmer were impregnable thereby enabling their forwards to cause Bromage to handle twice in quick succession, Latta shot all but raising the hopes of those who accompanied Everton to the County ground. Striving hard to put on an initial point, Chadwick and Milward fed by Holt, caused Williamson to avert danger by kicking to the corner, which was soon repeated, but somehow luck did not seen to favour the Evertonians. Even play now brought the interval with a clean sheet, neither side having scored. On changing over, Goodall kicked off, and after being once repelled, Cooper was soon prominent by finding an opening with a very speedy shot, giving Smalley little chance to save. With this against them, Everton played hard, and the game became exciting for a few minutes, but Bakewell prettily passing up Cooper shot and scored a good second goal for Derby, to the great delight of their supporters, who cheered vociferously. From midfield Chadwick was seen to advantage, and after Hannah had called on his forwards to play steady. Latta broke away in excellent style, causing great anxiety to the Derbyities, but only a fruitless corner resulted. Still persisting. Everton with their grand lasting capabilities took up the reins and completely wearing down the homesters, Parry and Holt kept their forwards well fed, and at length, from good work by the latter, Orr scored for the Anfielders. The visitors, thus encouraged, showed the onlookers an exposition of the dribbling code, the performances of the respective wings shinning out prominently and Chadwick with one of his old-fashioned and well-known screws, equalised, greatly to the discomfort of the Derby followers, who seemed to imagine that their pets would win with ease. With about ten minutes to go Everton pushed play in a dashing manner, and, ought to have notched another point, Chadwick experiencing hard lines the ball ‘'hitting'' the post and rebounding into play. The visitors still continued to have the upper hand, but the whistle sound too soon for further scoring, the game, which was a pleasant and interesting one, thus ending in a draw of two goals each. Teams;
Derby County: - Bromage goal Latham, and Ferguson, backs, Williamson (A), Goodall (A), and Roulstone half-backs, Bakewell, Higgins, Goodall (J), Needham, and Cooper, forwards. Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Parry, Holt and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Kirkwood, Orr, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Umpires, Messr W Chatterton, and E.Berry, Referee Mr. Johnstone (Stoke).

October 7 1889. The Liverpool Courier
The above teams met on the Anfield enclosure, before the usual large concourse of spectators, numbering about 1,500. The homesters were the first on the field, and were received with great applause; but when their old favourite Dick put in his appearance for the first time this season the enthusiasm of the spectators knew no bounds, giving them a fine reception. The spectators very cordially received the visitors, in their turn. At 4-05 Leashy for Birkdale put the ball in motion, and both teams soon settled down in real earnest, when Hammond after a serious of splendid passing, passed to Deane, but he was unable to out it through, having hard lines. Everton were now having the best of the game, their passing being excellent. A free kick was now awarded to Everton, and after a terrific struggle in the visitors' goal, Guest, by a long kick, justed managed to relieve, but the relief was only to be temporary, Dick returning by a splendid kick, which once more brought the play in the visitors' goal but the defence was again sure. This was destined not to be long so, as Richmond soon after headed a splendid goal. The homesters encouraged by their success, soon added two corners, but were unable to improve either. Abbott shot a clean goal soon after. The play on both sides now became very spirited indeed, Birkdale playing up match better as the game wore on, but the visitors were too strong, and after some very hard and tough play in which Abbott and R.Jones were very conspicuous, the first named player added another goal to the home team's account. Everton now pressed very much and were forcing the play dangerous near the visitors'goal when Curnock scored another goal. At this point Edwards got hurt but assured play in a few minutes. Half-time now arrived with the score –Everton, four goals Birkdale nil. Upon restarting Everton resumed their former position and pressed, forcing the play again, when R.Jones with a grand shot placed a good goal, but this was ruled against them. Jones was again shinning, and with a lighting shot placed a spendid goal. The game was raged very fiercely, but the play was almost entirely in the mouth of the visitors' goal when Abbott scored a beauty. Dick now hurt his leg, and had to retire into Joliffe's place in goal, to the great applause of the spectators taking Dick's place. The excitement was intense, Everton working splendidly in all positions, Abbott, whose shots could not be stopped, amid loud applause, placing another which was soon followed by one from Hammond. Birkdale now appeared to get a little dishearten but at the same time played up well. Joliffe was now seen to be playing at any rate up to the evident satisfaction of the spectators, whose applause was given in rounds. The excitement increased as the game proceeded, and Hammond just on time scored the last goal. Final result Everton Reserves 9, Birkdale nil.
Birkdale team: - Guest, goal, Edwards, and White, backs, Knight, Haworth, and Marchant, half-backs, Braddock, Phillips, Leahy, W. Scott, and W. White, forwards.

October 7 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
The announcement on Tuesday that A.Brady's suspension, like that of most of the other dual signatories, had been reduced and that he would be available for services on behalf of Everton's on November 1, gave great satisfaction. Brady showed promise of unmistakable power in the practice game he had played at Anfield and of course a place will be found for him among the Everton forwards. It seems a pity to disturb the attack now they have got into swinging order, but it is as well to have a reliable man in readiness for emergencies arising from any accident that may happen. Milward has made such rapid strides, and gets on so evenly with Chadwick, that there will be reluctance in disturbing the left wing. It is most probable that Brady will therefore assume his old position as a right winger and join Latta and Cain of Airdrienians, who has just been secured, with Kirkwood in reserve. In future, players signing more than one registration form will be severely dealt with, and properly so; whilst all cases of being '‘ordered off'' the field'' are to be at once reported. to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Everton's experiment on Monday of playing the home League match with the Wolverhampton Wanderers at eventide was a great success in all respects save one-they did not win. It the hour off-quarter to five-was an inconvenient one for the bulk of their patrons, it mattered not, for the crowd gathered, as thickly as on a Saturday. When play commenced there was as many as 8,000 people present, and this number was soon augmented 50 per cent. A flattering recognition of Everton's popularity. But, of course, the real magnetic power of attraction was the prospect of a stirring game, and none were disappointed in this anticipation, for a drawn game of a goal each furnished one of the finest displays of football ever seen at Anfield. Both sides were representative. Everton had the same men who had twice disconcerted the Bolton Wanderers; the ‘'Wolves'' had but one good regular hand absent. J.Cooper succeed knight's broken leg causing him to stand down to. As soon as Mr. Fitzroy Norris, gave the signal to open fire the battle raged furiously, but not violently. The ground was in good going over, and this favorable condition assisted players in making the pace a record one. First the visitors got under weight. Farmer gave a partial check to the invaders, but Cooper slipped along the right, and would not be denied until he had a shot at goal. This proved a middling attempt, and then came Everton's turn. The forwards got into line, and, moving down in perfect combination several times gave Rose an opportunity of showing how good a goalkeeper he is, but, after he had attended well to Latta's delivery, he was baffled by Chadwick, and Everton thus early assumed the lead. Play tended subsequently in favour of the home team until the second half was well advanced, during which time some splendid back play was shown by Baugh and Mason, especially the latter the strong forward work of Everton calling forth the most skilful defensive tactics. As the play progressed with the advantage to be deprived from the wind, the Wanderers gained strength, and confined operations somewhat persistently in the home quarters. Everton, however, demonstrated that they were as sound in defence as they had hitherto been in attack, though a back had to use his hands at a critical moment to prevent a certain goal, and all was shaping smoothly for a win. But an accident happened ten minutes from the finish to Allen, which stopped the game for a while, and on the ball being put in play at middle, Wykes dashed off and scored. Whilst Hannah and his fellow defenders were quently dropping back into their place. An exciting period intervened Geary heading some brilliantly assaults, but it was all in vain, and a great finished in a deadheat. Everton were stronger of the two teams in forward play, making more visits to goal, and therefore had slightly the best of the game, but the Wanderers, without in any way depreciating the excellent form shown by Smalley and the home backs, had the advantage in the defensive work. Everton, full of confidence with their past successes, travelled to Derby by saloon, from the Central at 9-20 on Saturday morning, thereby giving themselves abundance of time to get in readiness for the kick off which was at three o'clock. The weather was very threatening during the early part of the day and broke down an hour before starting the game, which made the ground and ball nearly unplayable. The Liverpool men had to do without the assistance of Geary, who is suffering from a wound in the leg, and Orr-a reserve man was called upon to fill the gap. The absence of Everton's centre forward was a great drawback to his club, as his dashing sprints were sadly missed, and the Derby spectators were disappointed at his non-appearance. The game during the first half if anything, was in favour of the County, and at times Doyle and Hannah, along with their halves were kept busy, but all seemed equal to the occasion, and that, too against the elements. The second portion opened fast and very exciting, both sides being eager to score, and before ten minutes had elsaped Everton colours were twice lowered, which roused the enthusiasm of the peak supporters. Hannah now rallied his men, which brought forthgood fruit, as Orr from an excellent pass by Parry, put on an initial point, which was followed soon after by another from Chadwick. Thus getting on equal terms, the visitors had the incentive to keep themselves at the top of the League list, but the whistle sounded too soon for them, as all at this stage were playing in fine form. For Derby, Bromage had plenty to do, and did it well. Latham was superior to Ferguson, who had a few fouls given against him. The half-backs worked hard and forced play. Of the forwards there was little between them, as they combined in a winning game. Smalley, for Everton, was in the best of humour, he cleaning some shots very neatly. The backs and half backs, particularly in the first half, shone brightly and kept the Derby attackers well at bay, the forwards, owing to their strange centre, were at first without combination, but as play progressed they rallied, and at times were brilliant. The game throughout was a very harmonious one, and ended without either side being defeated the result being 2 goals chronicled to both sides. Moffatt visit Anfield next Saturday.

October 8 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
This fixture, which should have been played at Burnley last evening, was abandoned. Owing to the inclemency of the weather.

October 14 1889. The Liverpool Courier
On Saturday, the Everton who have been doing remarkably well this season, paid a visit to Glasgow, and met the Celtic on the Celtic Park, Parkhead, to endeavour to accomplish what the Sunderland twice and the Blackburn Rovers once failed to do- namely to defeat the famous Irish team. The Everton came with a great reputation, and despite may encounter attractions 8,000 persons were present. The teams were: -
Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle backs, Parry, Holt and Farmer half-backs, Kirkwood, Latta, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Celtic:- McLaugham, goal Reynolds, and McKeown backs, Maley, Kelly and Dowds, half-backs Madden, Coleman, Groves, McCallum, and Dunbar, forwards.
Neil McCallum the famous right winger made his first appearance since receiving his injury when playing against Cowlairs last year. The Everton were the first to appear and were cordially greeted. The Everton team won the toss and played with a slight wind in their favour. At the very start the Englishman showed themselves exceedingly smart, but the result of some pressure was that Latta sent the ball pass the post. Every man in the Everton team was in the best possible condition, and played with great skill, but the Celtic defence was very strong, and prevented scoring. The backs were playing a good defensive game, but were kicking too strongly. The Celts were not in their usual form, and so far the Everton had undoubted the best of the game. Hannah for Everton was in grand form, Kirkwood had a grand run along the right all by himself, and three times in succession the Celtic goal escaped as if by accident. It was very hard lines for the strangers. At length 15 minutes from the start Everton scored the first goal, Geary had a brilliant run by himself, and sent in a swift low shot which fairly beat McLoughan. The Celtic pressed after this, and secure a corner. Everton's goal was fairly besieged, but Smalley saved in marvelous style. After this, however the Everton fairly ran round the Celts, and scored a second goal (Kirkwood) rather easily. The game was now stopping owing to injury to Holt, who was charged by Groves. The Celts now settled down a bit, and a mistake by Doyle let Madden got on the ball. He shot straight for goal but the ball rebounded off the crossbar into play, and then Smalley had to concede a corner, which came to nothing. The game became much faster but both sides used questionable tactics. The Celts secured a corner through one of the Everton backs shooting the ball over the bar, but it resulted in nothing. Geary's centre, was a most prominent man on the field, and put in some electrifying runs. The Celts put in some good shots but the forwards always failed. The Everton backs towards the close of the first half were sorely pressed, but the Celts had hard lines, and could not score. Just at Half time Geary, who was playing brilliantly, received a severe injury and had to be assisted off the field. Half-time Everton 2 goals, Celtic nil. On resuming play Geary came on the field again, and went to the left wing, but was of little use. The Celts pressed at once and had hard lines in not scoring, several good shots being sent in, but Smalley saved pretty much by chance. Farmer was injured but he was able to play. After sustaining the pressure Everton came away, but Geary was tripped in making for goal. Madden was then tripped by Farmer, and a row seemed imminent but the danger was passed over. The game became very rough, fouls being given against both teams. The Celtic had now decidedly the best of the play, but Everton meant to win at all hazards and crowding round the goal the ball could not be got through. Everton's goal had a narrow escapes time after time. The game was very fast and the Celts had all the best of it, the Everton backs kicking the ball repeatedly into touch to save their charge. The Everton played a winning game from the start their full back defence was admirable, old Hannah guarding his goal with great tenacity. The Celtics strove hard to score but the defence was most stubborn. The game, which was a very rough one ended in favour of Everton by two goals to nil.

October 14 1889. The Liverpool Courier
At Stoke on Saturday in fine weather, and before a good attendance, Everton kick off, and at the first were called on to defend. Stoke got a goal, which was disallowed through off-side. A splendid run by the visiting, forwards caused Merritt, the Stoke custodian, to handle. The home backs stopped another smart run by Everton. Stoke pressed heavily, but the reserves showed a splendid defence. At length Stoke secured a corner, and Hutchinson scored the first goal for Stoke after half-an-hour's play. The Liverpool men retaliated, but the Swifts defence relieved a hot scrimmage, and the Everton goal was successfully repulsed by the grand, play of the reserves backs, Stoke scored a second goal, Owen heading through smartly. Baker scored a third goal for the Swifts after Everton had smartly repulsed a determined attack. At half-time the score was Stoke Swifty 3 Everton Reserves nil.

Ensuning after the interval, Everton's right wing broke away, but failed to breakthrough the home defence. Joliffe next saved a charge in find form, the shot being the result of a pretty passing by the Swifts. Everton were again pressed, and Joliffe once more saved. The Play than became more open, and Everton made a run down the left, failed to utilize it the leather going behind. Everton continued to defend and repulsed all their opponents attack. Final Result, Stoke Swiftys 4 Everton Reserves Reserves nil.

October 19 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This League match was played at Trentbridge on Saturday in showery weather, there being nearly six thousand spectators present. The Everton team was the same as that which defeated the Celtic,
Everton: - Smalley goal, Hannah (Captain) and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Kirkwood, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Notts County:- Toone, goal, McLean and McMillan, backs, Ferguson, Caldhead, and Shelton, half-backs, May Smith, James Oswald ,Daft, and John Oswald, forwards. Referee Mr Jope.
Everton took the Kick-off, Jun Oswald robbing Geary at once, the ball bring kicked over the line. The visitors took up the running, and threatened the goal, Farmer grauting a corner. This was followed by three further concessions of similar nature, Jim Oswald on one occasion missing a neat opportunity. This was atoned for a few seconds later by Smith kicking through. After the kick off Everton set to their business with vengeance, Kirkwood and Milward each suffering hard lines. The Notts left were then very prominent, and James Oswald scored the second goal, owing to Doyle and Smalley each expecting the other to shoot the ball. The home team would not be repulsed and Smith's shot struck the upright. Everton made a temporary visit to the opposite end, and though they did break through Chadwick shot over the crossbar. Notts again having several good chances, which were not properly taken, and then Chadwick and Milward failed to leave their mark. When opportunity afforded. The visitors were bring so much needed pressure to bear to their antagonists defence, and again Milward was unsuccessful, whilst Holt sent in a fine long shot, which was carefully handled by the goal-keeper. A pretty piece of combination in front of the goal was no better luck than the preceding efforts, and the visitors were now experiencing decidedly hard lines, although playing a much better game then at the commencement. Milward and Geary were lacking in precision, and consequently their well-meant attempts were several times unfruitful. McMillan made a mistake, and the goal appeared to be at the mercy of the Evertonians, but as usual the shot was as faulty as it was predecessor. The home men than fairly pressed their opponents, and Parry, Smalley, and Doyle saved magnificently. The Leather was removed to the other end, and Milward through played in the centre of the posts, could not shoot though it was a very easy chance. A foul accured to the visitors. Doyle, taking the kick, played the ball beautifully between the posts, and after a short scrimmage it was pushed past the goalkeeper. Rain was now falling, and the turf was exceedingly treacherous. Notts because dangerous, and the Everton defence was severely taxed. It was not defeated though up to half-time, when the score was Notts 2 goals, Everton 1.

Rain poured down without essation and the spectators were having a miserable time. Daft from the kick off was enabled to propel a grand shot, which he had the mortification of seeing headed out by John Oswald, who was standing by the goalkeeper ready to help the ball through. Next the visitors displayed great energy, a tricky bit of play in front of goal nearly resulting in a goal. From Geary's foot Chadwick endeavored to beat Toone with a long shot, but without effect, and Kirkwood and Latta, by some capital play, almost brought the Notts colours down. Milward was the next martyr a pretty long shot striking the crossbar, and even that it should have been a goal from the foot of Latta. The Notts backs removed the play, and from a scrimmage following a corner kick the sphere was carried between the sticks this making the third goal for the home team. Doyle grandly repulsed a dangerous movement on the right wing of the Notts team, with the result that the ball fell to Milward. This player propelled an astonishingly clever oblique, shot, which Toone was only just in a position to clear, but as it happened this was of no avail, as Milward immediately returned it with success. This was a fitting termination to a grand effort, Milward having played the most sterling game amongst the Evertonians. The visitors were pressing with determination, but without result. Notts scored a fourth goal in consequence of a blunder in the defence, and a few minutes later the visitors retaliated with a third goal Geary scoring after grand work by Latta and Kirkwood. The game throughout was a very pleasant one, and generally admitted to be the most keenly contested ever played on that ground, whilst there was an agreeable absence of that forcible play which characterized last year's encounter. The Notts executive received their visitors in a most kindly and hospitable manner, and placed a box in the Theatre royal at the disposal of the Everton team, some of whom availed themselves of the offer.

October 21 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This match was played on Saturday on the Everton ground. There was only a scanty attendance, the weather was cold and dull when the teams faced. The opening exchanges were in favour of the homesters, who were well supported by the backs, who kicking with the wind, kept play well in the visitors' quarters. Everton left dribbled nicely, and being in easy distance Deane tried a shot, which just went wide. Everton kept up the pressure, had shooting preventing anything tangible being scored. Nidd was cheered for finely spoiling a dangerous rush, and giving his forwards the leather, who raced down, and Deane sent in a grand shot, which just went over the bar. The wind was having considerable effect on the game, placing both sides at a disadvantage. Turton made a raid into the home quarters, but were repulsed by Cain, who was playing a good game. Bad shooting was the order of the day Everton being the guilty players. Deane ran down the left, and becoming dangerous, Mellody had to concede a corner, which was abortive. Hands were given again Nidd in a dangerous poistion, but the ball was kicked behind. Parker and Smithson troubled the Everton defence but could not pass the back as, who made Joliffe's office a sinecure. Everton had lots of changes but were slow in availing themselves of them, their shooting being weak in the extreme. Several corners fell to the homesters one being well placed. R.Jones tested Browlow, who scored admirably. Turton although playing against a strong wind, were not allowing Everton to have all their own way, and made a pretty combined effort, which was frustrated by Richmond, who transferred the leather to Deane, and enabled that player, to put in a strong run and a good shot, which was well fisted out by Browlow. Soon after Joliffe was tested in a like manner, and proved equal to the emergency, but Cain gave a corner, which was futile. Again Deane put all in, and raced down the left, but nothing came of a good effort but an abortive corner. Half-time arrived with the score: - Everton Reseves nil; Turton nil.

In the Second half Everton kicked off, and Turton, having the wind were quickly in the home quarters. “Hands” against Nidd further helped them, but the danger was averted and Everton rushed up the field Hammond putting the finishing touch on a pretty effort by beating Bromlow with a good shot. Even play followed neither side being able to claim any material advantage. W.Simmers was noticeable for good tackling and Joliffe was cheered for a grand save. The crowd invading the covered stand caused amusement, to get out of the rain which was coming down heavily. Cain time after time robbed the Turton forwards when they were well within shooting distance. Everton had hard lines; a good attack ended by the leather just going over the bar. Hands in front of goal was given against Everton, but the visitors did badly with a grand opportunity. Everton now took up the attack, and for a long time kept the play in the visitors' quarters, until Martin defeated Bromlow for the second time. Soon after Richmond obtained the third goal. Result Everton Reserves 3; Turton nil.
Teams Turton: - Bromlow, goal, Mellody, and Simmers (J) backs, Kay, Simmers (W) and Holt half-backs, Parkers, Smithson Towler, Cannon, and Smith forwards. Everton Reserves: - Joliffe goal, Cain, and Nidd backs, Richmond, Jones (R), and Martin half-backs, Deane, Hammond, Orr, Jones (R), and Abbott forwards.

October 21 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Perhaps no League match was watched with more interest on Saturday than that between Everton and Notts County, at Trent Bridge. The Anfieldities victory over the renowned Celtic of mushroom growth backed up by the leading position among the leaguers “installed” Everton at once in the forefront, whilst the sensational performance of Notts at Accrington was a hardly less meritorious achievement. These two doughty deeds were the subject of universal comment, and it was a curious condenses that Everton, and Notts County were decreed to meet on the morrow of their triumphs. Arriving soon after noon at their destination, Everton had a couple of hours wherein to recoup themselves after the severe shaking they had received in travelling through hilly Derbyshire. The weather was dull all the forenoon, and just as a start had been made the rain came down in torrents and continued throughout the game. This made the footing very uncertain, and the slippery turf was responsible for many miskicks. There was a big crowd present and it must be acknowledged it behaved admirably to the players Everton reception being quite as hearty as that accorded to Notts. These shouts of welcome were the signal for the band which had entertained people during the time of assembling, to retire, and then Mr Jope got his teams in position and a start was at once made. Everton followed up their kick off by sending over the goal line and then the Notts forwards swooped down on Smalley's charge. Corners were conceded, but no clearance came, and Smith found a billet for his bullet in goal. Tonne stopped one from Latta, Milward sent wide, and then the home forwards were off again in fine feature, James Oswald scoring a soft goal, Doyle missing his man and Smalley being thus taken by surprise. This early success evoked immense satisfaction among the “Lambs” and was very suggestive of the opening rushes when Everton were at Trent Bridge last year. The visitors, however, were by no means disconcerted, and were soon in proper line, and did more attacking afterwards. Before half-time a goal rewarded their courage, and on changing over two goals each were secured, but every time Everton scored Notts somehow managed to follow suit, and so playing uphill all through Everton were doomed to a narrow defeat of 4 goals to 3. One goal that fell to Notts was from Farmer's foot. When hard pressed he tried to kick over and risk a corner, but striking the ball on the wrong side it went into goal. To quote the opinion of a Nottingham contemporary the match was “one of the best contested games ever played on the Trent Bridge ground.” Notts County were strong at-all points. Great combination was ever manifest. John Oswald was the only man who showed weakness. His brother James was the best forward. Smith running him-close, and, of all the good defenders, Ferguson at right half-back was the more effective. Everton's forwards worked smoothy but the left wing were most powerful, Milward, especially being a great success in dribbling and centreing. Doyle, Hannah and Smalley were at their best. Parry outshone Holt, and Farmer, the last two, Farmer particularly seeming to be off colour. As evidence of the good feeling between Everton and Notts, the home club had secured a box at the Theatre Royal.

October 25 1889. The Liverpool Daily Post
At Edgbaston (Birmingham County Ground)
Yesterday the Everton team paid a visit to Birmingham, where their met Warwick County on the County ground on Saturday. The home club, like Everton, met with defeat, Derby Midland beating them by 3 goals to. Yesterday, however the County team showed improved form, and gave the Everton men a good game, result being a draw –4 goals each.

October 29 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This League match played at Anfield, on Saturday, in fair weather there being 10,000 spectators present. Thus far the Accrington team has not been very fortunate in the league encounters, having lost two matches, drawn three and won one. That with Bolton Wanderers. The home team was not altered, while the following did duty: -
Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain) and Doyle backs, Parry Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta Kirkwood, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Accrington:- Lindsay, goal, Stephenson, and McLellan, backs, Tatersall, Barbour, and Perberton, half-backs, Kirkham, Entwistle, Pendergast, Gallocher, and McCuggage forwards referee J.J.Bentley .
The kick off by Everton were made a quarter of an hour late. With the slope and wind in their favour the “Reds” soon encroached upon their opponents' territory and Hannah gave a corner, which proved a barron one, through a mistake by Gallacher an opening was made for Geary, who at once bounded away and when near goal he passed to Latta, this player almost scoring with a beautiful low shot. A visit having been made to the Everton end the ball was carried by Milward and Chadwick in the opposite direction and nearly headed though by Latta. After the lapse of a few minutes the Reds rushed down and Entwistle scored with a pretty shot, Smalley being taken quite by surprise. This seemed to be a misunderstanding similar to that at Nottingham last week, Doyle and Smalley each thinking that the other world arrests the progress of the ball. With a goal against them, the home lads played up with more determination and Latta from a position almost paralled with the goal posts Kicked the ball splendidly, a great cheer being sent up by the crowd. The referee however ruled that the ball had not gone through and he was promptly and vigorously hooted. Lindsay was then called upon to exert himself some clever attempts being made to defeat him but his capabilities stood the test, and he saved with a coolness and alertness which elicited cheers. Accrington were conceded a further corner, which they did not avail themselves of to a proper extent and then Latta obtaining a firm hold, made a dashing run, concluding with one of the excellent screw shots, which went slightly wide. The decisions of Mr J.J.bentley at this point roused the fire of the crowd, and there were loud cries of disapprobation, which were certainly not justified. The Accringtonains again made their presence felt, no practical result, however, being attained. The home team had a look in afterwards, but their efforts met with determined resistance several shots being cleverly cleared. This was of no avail as Geary placed the matter beyond doubt by shooting through and made the score equal. There was certainly little to chose between the teams, as up to this time they appeared to be of about equal strength. The “Reds” were at this juncture the spectators considerable apprehension, the backs being compelled to exhibit their strong qualification for the defence. The Evertonians, by the aid of Chadwick and Williams, removed the play, and a goal seemed likely to be scored but the whistle was then blown. Half time: - Everton 1 goal, Accrington 1 goal. Ends having been changed the home team took up the running and retained the ball well in their antagonists quarters until Entwistle put in a neat, tricky run, which he totally spoiled by a miserable shot at goal. The Evertonians continued to harass the opposing defence, but Lindsay was in grand form, and proved a very hard nut to crack. The visiting forwards broke away several times in dashing style, the attempts at goal bring of a poor order, and in this respect their antagonists were no better. Geary missing a grand opportunity. The Reds' right wing relieved the backs and a fine rust was made up the field, Pendergast giving Smalley a hot one to handle, this being safely accomplished. At length the home men had the satisfaction of seeing their efforts awarded Chadwick scoring with a good long shot. The Accrington boys were not downhearted but played on in good style, and some pressure culminated in Barbour getting the second point for his side this bring about level terms. The Evertonians had not throughout the game got into their proper stride, and Geary was apparently responsible for this, his passing being grossly inaccurate. The “Reds” were attacking hard the Everton backs having to perform Herculean feats. Final result: - Everton, 2 goals Accrington, 2 goals. Teams, Accrington:- Lindsay, goal, Stephenson and McLean, backs Tattersall, Barbour, and Pemberton, half-backs, Kirkham, Entwistle, Pendergast, Gallacher, and McGluggage forwards. Everton: - Smalley goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, Parry, Holt and Farmer half-backs, Latta Kirkwood, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Umpires Messr, J.Hindle, and C.M. Lindsay, Referee. J.Bentley (Bolton)

October 28 1889. The Liverpool Post.
This match was played at Accrington on Saturday, before 1,000 spectators. Everton played a splendid game from start to finish, and won by 5 goals to none.

October 28 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton were welcomed home on Saturday after a three weeks' absence having in the meantime visited Derby, Glasgow, Nottingham, and Birmingham, with the varied results of winning, losing and drawing. Accrington were the visitors and a victory was confidently expected, but only a drawn game of 2 goals each could be attained-hence grievous disappointment, for the Wolverhampton Wanderers, their close competitors won outright, though against the mighty men of Preston and are now leaders of the League. Everton had their now well-known team, but Accrington were without the familiar face of Howarth letting in Pendergast of the reserves. On Geary starting with a stifish wind blowing, it at once became evident that the game would be fast, if not generally scientific. Everton opened by making many vain attempts to beat Lindsay, who was in grand form, and them Accrington broke away and met with the success denied Everton, as Entwiste found Vulnerable spot. The home team were aroused with this early reverse, and Latta and Kirkwood reaching the corner the outside man screwed through goal; but an appeal was granted by Mr Bentley a decision which gave great displeasure, as nearly all except the referee, considered a legitimate goal had been gained. Geary, however soon equalised, the Referee meanwhile being the recipient of uncomplimentary comment for the way in which he turned a deaf ear to Everton's appeals. Changing over with a goal each, the home team went strongly but was unlucky with their shots until Chadwick sent in from near centre line and scored. Some though the goal was a doubtful one, but Mr Bentley allowed it, and so this atoned somewhat for Latta's vetoed, one in the first half. Ten minutes from the close Gallacher having repeatedly broken up Everton's combination, Kirkham travelled up on the right, screwed in, and Barbour headed through which equalised, and proved the last goal. For Accrington, Lindsay was a host in himself by his marvellous saves in goal, but Stephenson and McLellan were more lucky than sure in their back play. Gallacher was a great success at half-backs his easy and effectual; way of pulling up Geary, and sometimes Chadwick, being dully acknowledged by the spectators. Of the forwards Barbour, when in the second half playing centre, guilded his forwards with skill but Kirkham and Entwistle displayed the greatest ability in both speed and passing. Smalley did his work well, the two goals against him arising from misunderstanding between the custodian and Doyle who was heartily so safe as his partner. None of the halves were up to League form and herein, with Geary ineffective, explains Everton failure to secure victory. Latta and Kirkwood worked nicely together but had fewer chances than the left wing or the issue might have been different, as Latta has seldom been seen in better trim. Next week Brady will reappear on the right inside and Probaly Cain will be given a trial, so that the tendency to deterioration may be rectified when Stoke visit Liverpool.