September 1889

July 27, 1889. The Blackburn Standard and Weekly Express
After considerable negations the Everton have secured the following well-known players for the team to play in the coming season –Andrew Hannan (Renton), Daniel Doyle (Bolton Wanderers), backs; Groves (celtic) and Brady (Renton), forwards.

August 29 1889. The Liverpool Courier
There could scarely be better evidence of the amasing interest roused at the present time by football than the large congregation of spectators, which rushed on the Everton F.C. ground at Anfield last evening. It was merely a practice game, a preliminary canter of the great “crack” who have been induced to come to Anfield this season. Yet close upon three thousand people paid to admission in order to watch closely and criticize the play of the team. It was arranged to play a match between the first, and reserves teams, and the following turned out for the respective sides: - First: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (captain), and Higgins, backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer half-backs, Latta, Waugh. Parry, Brady, and Chadwick, forwards. Reserves: - Joliffe, goal, Nidd, and Hammond, backs, Barbour, Martin, and Howell, half-backs, Lindsay, Fenn, Orr, Tibbitt, and Milward, forwards. The reserves team showed up capitally against the superior side, and their combination was warmly praised and generally admired, many persons venturing the opinion that it was in many repects pretty than that of their more experienced adversaries. Although they pressed a good deal they were not fortunate enough to score, whilst three goals were placed to their discredit. Brady obtained two of the goals for the first team, while the other was put through from a scrimmage. Seeing that Doyle, Geary, and Groves were absent the first team, were seriously handicapped, and the game was hardly fair test of the capabilities of the organisation which will do duty during the approaching season. Brady Latta, and Hannah did not exhibit any brilliant flashes of form, but they appeared to give full satisfaction, it being considered that they were not showing their real form. Hammond, late of Edgehill F.C, judging by his play last evening, will prove a capital acquisition to the reserves team, and he will no doubt capably fill the void caused by the retirement of A.Chadwick. Howell formerly of Stanley F.C, also played well at half-back, and in case of necessity his services will no doubt be called into requisition, On behalf of the first team, another practice game will be held to-morrow evening, and when Doyle Geary, and Groves will probably figure in the team. On Monday the season will commence in earnest with a match against Stanley.

August 29 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
At the invitation of the president (Councillor Houlding), the executive and players of both teams of the club were entertained to supper at the Sandon Hotel on Tuesday (August 27). The object of the gathering was primarily to inaugurate the coming season, bring into friendly contact the working members of the organization, and to introduce the new players, who have this season thrown in their lot with the club. It was also felt that the occasion should be taken to express the regret felt at the departure of Mr. T.C.Howarth, late assistant secretary of the club, for America and the appreciation of his past services. Amongst the invited guest were Messrs Jos. Williams, R.wilson, F. Currier, E.Berry, H.Hallard, Henderson, Clayton,, Jackson, R Molyneux, J.J.Ramsey, Brooks, and R.L.Stockton and DR,. Flynn. The tables being cleared, Mr Houlding took the chair, and the usual loyal and patriotic toasts having been proposed, Mr Houlding proposed the health of Mr. Howarth. He had known Mr Howarth in political and in other areas, and he felt that in all his under-taking he had made his mark. He hoped that in the future his position would be much entrust, and wishing him God speed, on behalf of the members of the club. He presented him with a handsome gold pencil case as a momento of their friendship. The toast was received with evident appreciation. Mr. Howarth suitably responded, and posposed the toast of the Everton Football Club, coupling with the toast, the name of the president Councilor Houlding. Mr. Houlding in responding said it gave him pleasure to meet his many friends, especially as they were all interested in the welfare of the Everton Club. He received at length the early history of the club, and its struggle until present time, contrasting the position it now occupied with that of its early days. In proposing the toast “The Executive Officers.” He regretted that they should loss the services of Mr. Barclays and Mr Howarth, and wished every success to the new secretary. Mr Molyneux, and his assistant Mr. Joseph Williams. Mr. Robert Wilson responded on behalf of the executive, and Mr. Jackson also spoke, and was followed by Messrs. Ramsey, Molyneux, and Josh, Williams. The proceeding, which had been enlivened by the vocalization of several members were brought to a close by singing the National Anthem.

September 1 188. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton have been hard at work, bring their house in order. Every effort has been made to obtain the best materials and the services of some of the cleverest exponents of the game have been secured, though their “agents” have found the wily fish difficult to hook. Meanwhile during the Everton meeting, there was a tussle between the two sections for supremacy but in the end, the changes of officers were not great. Mr. Barclay was practically re-elected without opposition, and Mr. Howarth was appointed his assistant secretary, and Mr. Jackson treasurer. Singularly, the two secretaries, before the season opened, found it necessary to resign their successors, being Messrs. R. Molyneux, and J.Williams. Everton's receipts were as high as £4,500, of three times those of Bootle, all of which, and a trifle more, was ungrudgingly spent in endeavoring to comfortably the best football practicable for their multitude of patrons. Having perfected their stand incommodation as the demands increased last year, until it is now inferior to none in the country. Everton have now been called upon to make any but minor structural alterations. The efforts of the executive, have almost solely been directed to the delicate task of scoring really reliable players, the result of continuos negotiations being the engagement for certain of four “stats” Latta (Dumbarton Athletic and Scotch International), and Brady, (Renton and Burnley), will join Geary, Chadwick and Parry in forward work, and the attack thus promises to be a very keen one, and altogether different to the incohesive formation, so often seen last year. It was hoped to be made much more formidable, but it is now position that Groves will not repeat his contract with Everton, since in the face of his mercenary sins, the prodigal has been welcomed back to “amateurism” by the Scottish Association with all the blind faith of a doting mother. But he is not likely to wriggle out of his contract without Everton contesting it, as we understand the case will be taken to the Edinburgh courts. Hannah (Renton and Scottish International) has stepped into the position held by Ross (that of captain and back), and will be assisted in defence by Doyle (Airdrieonians and Bolton Wanderers) and Dick who is mending fast, while Dobson has transferred his services to an ambitious Southport club. Holt Weir, Farmer, and Howell-the latter, who played for Stanley having shown good points at practice-and Perhaps another expert from about of Tweed, will be the half-backs and Smalley again goalkeepers. Although, the team is a vast improvement on its predecessor, and unless last year's accidents are repeated, should have a good record to show at the conclusion of their match list severe though the tussles will be. Under the care of their trainer (D.Waugh) all the players are improving daily, and will be found in splendid condition for their League match- the Blackburn Rovers-on Saturday next.

September 3 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
The old and the new capable exponents of the association code of football played off their now almost historical engagement last evening at the Anfield Road ground. The Homesters made their first appearance on the turf vary punctually, but the visitors were twenty minutes late. Although there was such a great counter attraction at Bootle the attendance at the match was somewhat surprising, four thousand persons at the least lining the enclosure. Geary kicked off for Everton, who had the disadvantage during the first half of a slight wind. Immediately the Evertonians forced the play, and Richmond had to do his best with a couple of good attempts at testing his capabilities. The Stanley boys then made the play, but Howell relieved and Latta taking advantage, scored the first point of the season for his new club. Then the home team went earnestly to work, and but a few minutes had elapsed when Geary gained the second point. The Stanley left then endeavored to break through, but the opposing defence was much too clever, and the game was only about a quarter of an hour old, when Latta made his second goal, and the third for the club. Hostilities for some little time were carried on to midfield, and than a capital piece of play by Brady and Howell concluded in Parry being given an opportunity of scoring, but although alone at goal, he kicked too hard, and the ball flew harmlessly over the crossbar. But a few minutes after the kick off Geary tackled the ball, and expecting one of those clever runs so perplexing to his opponents finished up with putting the ball neatly past the Stanley goalkeeper. For some time ensuing the play was decidedly of an uneven nature and, without excitement, though the visitors were exerting themselves strenuously in order to obtain the upper hand, but the backs and Hammond in particular, were in every respect equal to coping with the attack. Fouls are really so deliberately made as that which Trelfall give to the opposite side, he coolly getting hold of the ball when Brady was making a raid on the goal, which seemed to have a fair chance of ending successfully. Latta again shot though, and the Whistle shortly afterwards gave the signal for the interval. On continuing play the Stanleyites gained a temporary occupation, and Smalley for the first time was compelled to show that he was not placed between the sticks as a more ornament. Rapid headway was made towards the opponents end, Richmond had plenty of employment, but his duties were discharged to the satisfaction of the spectators who repeatedly applauded him. At length he very considerately fell on the ground, and permitted Latta to notch a further point, he and Geary having the monopoly of the scoring thus far. A charge, however occurred. After some really clever movements on the part of the Everton forwards Parry rushed one past the goalkeeper. Geary seemed to be determined to retain the goal scoring business and with a couple of grand dashes one very shortly after the other he was enable to bring the total to eight. The visitors were very rarely permitted to wander from their own quarters and when it did chance that the ball was carried towards that spot most desired by Stanley it was chiefly by the efforts of Lowe, R.Jones and Orr. In the quickly descending shades of night it was almost impossible to perceive the players, but no further successful shots having been made, the game ended in a decisive victory of eight goals to nil. In favour of Everton. The teams were as follows: - Everton:- Smalley goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Weir, Holt, and Howell, half-backs, Latta, Parry, Geary Chadwick, and Brady forwards. Stanley:- Richmond goal, Griffiths and Pollock backs, Thralfall, Fayer and WH.Jones, half-backs Lowe, Jones (r), Orr, Platt, and Falls, forwards.

September 5 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton brought off the second of this season's engagement last evening, before about 5,000 spectators. Immediately from the kick off the home lot pressed, and Brady at once notched the first point of the game. From the re-start, matters were fairly even for a time when the Earlestown right broke away, and Dearden equalised ten minutes after the start. Dearden and Morris again got away, and on the latter parting to Siddeley, Smalley was forced to save at the expense of a corner. From the goalkick the home forwards got away, Chadwick finishing the movement with a slow shot, which Jenkinson badly missed. Play hovered round the Everton upright for a time, where Doyle and Hannah executed some neat defensive tactics. Latta ultimately got away, and parted to Parry, who unfortunately shot across the goal. Close following, another raid was made on the visitors defence, Parry dribbling well up and scoring. From the kick off the ball was worked down the field, and dropping to Tyrer he missed, and Latta at once shot through. Immediately following the kick off Chadwick and Brady got down the Everton left. The former sent across to Latta, who shot a beautiful goal. Some faulty kicks of the visitor's backs repeatedly let in the home forwards, which hung dangerous round the Earlestown goal until Dearden raced away, Doyle missed his kick, and Hannah failing to recover concede a corner, which was, however, safely got away. A smart run along the right resulted in Latta sending in a beautiful screw shot, which Jenkinson cleverly manipulated. Dearden, Morris, and Siddeley made tracks for the Everton goal, a fine chance to score being missed by Dearden. From the goalkick the home forwards were again well within the visitor's quarters, where the backs had a very anxious time of it. A couple of splendid shots were sent in by Brady and Chadwick, which were cleverly got away by Jenkinson. Nothing further was added to the score up to the interval, when the game stood Everton 5 goals, Earlestown 1 goal. On resuming Hannah despoiled Sidderley, and punting well down the field the home forwards settled round the Earlestown goal. Jenkinson relieved somewhat. When Latta raced down to the home right and Parry sent across to Brady, who shot past Jenkinson. The restart brought no relief to the visitors, for Brady and Chadwick rushed along the left the former screwing across the goal, Latta cleverly executing the finishing touch. Still the Visitor's had a hard time of it, and their goalkeeper was constantly in difficulties. By way of a change the ball rolled over the half-way line, but no further. The home lot attacked vigorously, and, after some smart play on the right, Brady at length screwed, and the goalkeeper missing his kick the ball went through. A moment later Chadwick put in a grand run down the field. Which the spectators did not fail to appreciate, but Latta kicked high over the bar. Following the goal kick the visitors brightened up some what, and for a time were in close quarters to Doyle and Hannah, who were ever ready for any emergency. A hugh kick from Hannah resulted in Tyrer heading over the bar. Following some desultory play, several chances to improve the home score were thrown away by faulty shooting. The Earlestown players were completely beaten by this time, and made little show of fight. Latta came near scoring on three separate occasions, the ball just cleaning the bar. Towards the finish the visitors broke away, but repeatedly passed the ball to their opponents. After a couple of clinking saves by the Earlestown custodian Chadwick rushed the ball through. Immediately on resuming the whistle blew, on the end of a one-sided game. Final score Everton 9, goals, Erarlestown 1 goal. Teams Everton:- Smalley, goal, Doyle, and Hannah (captain), backs, Farmer Holt, and Weir, half-backs, Chadwick, Brady, Waugh, Latta, and Parry, forwards. Earlestown: - Jenkinson, goal, Fazakerley and Tyrer, backs, Clarke, Simms, and Allison, half-backs, Dearden, Morris, Siddeley, J. Shaw, and W. Shaw, forwards. Referee Mr. Ramsbottom.

September 9 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Charlie Parry sent off, during latter stages of second half
Everton, in company with the most of the League clubs, commenced the battle for championship on Saturday, when they engaged with the famous Blackburn Rovers on the Anfield enclosure. Everything favoured a great event. The weather was the most genial, there was no absorbing counter attractions, and their visitors are looked upon as about the strongest team extant now that they have been reinforced with a quartet as Brandon, Dewar, Campbell, and their old comrades Lofthouse. Under such influences a large assembly was assured, but that which had gathered together for exceeded all anticipations. Every spot was crowded to inconvenience, the matter present being probably upwards of 14,000, and the spectators, with the rows of faces surrounding the fresh grassy field of play, was a brilliant and animating one to witness. There was only one cloud to throw a shadow on the fair scene, and that was the absence of Brady, who has been suspended for double dealing, in signing for Burnley as well as Everton, a piece of folly for which the Anfield Club was in no way responsible, and for which the penalty meted out to him, if he is guilty, is deserving. Milward was called upon to fill the gap on the left wing, and on the whole made a useful partner to Chadwick. First the Rovers, and then Everton, were accorded a hearty welcome, and prompt to time Mr. Crump, of Birmingham gave the signal for starting. Having secured choice of ends, the home team faced the slight hill, and Southworth set the ball in motion. His colleagues at once backed him up, and Smalley soon realised that his charge was invested. Doyle relieved him of anxiety, as did Hannah on the Rovers returning. Milward ran clear, and when he had passed over, Latta and Parry forged ahead and enabled Geary to steady for a shot, which was baulked adroitly by Forbes. A further attempt to beat McOwen was of no more effect as the shot from the right, just passed behind. With this escape, the visitors were soon flying down the left. Townley screwed almost at right angles, and Campbell being in readiness drove out of the reach of Smalley, and scored the first League goal against Everton five minutes from the kick off. The home team, who smartly got to close quarters, availed of the re-start, but Parry missed a good chance. Brandon prevented a renewed attack, and, Walton and Townley sailing away, a terrific scrimmage arose from the pass Lofthouse, the ball finally going behind. Everton made good ground off the left, but Geary's shot proved too high, whilst Lofthouse made tame use of retaliatory movement. An opportunity soon presented itself to Everton, and taken full advantage of, as Milward centred so accurately that Geary found an opening without much ado, and this equalising point was recognized vociferously. Holt now contributed some effective heading, but the Rovers made way, a mistake by Weir giving them a useless corner, as Walton sent wide. The goalkick was utilised by Everton for a strong raid. Geary forced a corner and from the resulting tussle, a goal (Parry) was effected and again a hugh cheer greeted the achievement. The Rovers, not liking the idea of being in a minority, grew very determined, and for a considerable time Everton found themselves in troubled waters, but though the visitors were energetic they lacked precision in the essential quality of shooting. The pace which had been simply appalling, gradually blackened, and for a spell neither goalkeeper had occasion to be uneasy, running up again, the Rovers drove Everton on the defence, Holt heading away, but they were not to be stalled off and after Southworth had lobbed into Smalley's hands, and made the score 2 goals each. Again Blackburn close up, but were foiled, though with difficulty, and then Latta raised enthusiasm by in smart run. He was pulled up in time, but Everton combined in attack strongly, and would not be denied until, when Weir passed up, Geary had put them in front with a good goal. The interval was now at hand, and the record- Everton 3 goals Blackburn Rovers 2 goals. The opening incidents of the second half was in Everton moving down the left, whence unyielding though it was near giving way. Then followed a critical moment to Everton, as Lofthouse tricked by Doyle, but Hannah was faster than the late Accrington man, and cleared narrowly. A lengthy stay was made round about Smalley. During which Everton defence showed some find points. When at length a clearance was effected, Everton went away with a burst, and Latta sent the ball glazing against the bar. While a centre by Parry caused McOwen to check away. Holt got injured at this juncture, which caused a little delay, though disadvantage his withdrawal, and on resuming good work was shown by Blackburn, some Marvelous running by Geary who two or three times rounded the defence in marvelous sprints, but at the same time he out passed his colleagues, so his effects want away. Milward looked like making his mark from a good chance, but was awarded a trio of futile corners, only Douglas finally cleared the danger that had hovered about for many minutes, and when Smalley was about to be tested, Holt interposed at the goal mouth. Geary going of as only he can, run and winding up with a spanking shot into McOwen hands. Townley next found himself checkmated by Weir, and Geary tried another dash, but Milward, though shooting though in fine style, was palpably off side at the time he received the ball, and so the point was promptly vetoed. A better piece of play arose when Parry headed grandly into goal from a hot scrimmage and provoked a fine save by McOwen. The game afterwards grew instersting, of the vitality had been taken out of the Rovers, Everton were now decidedly having the best of the play, the visits of the Rovers being very short. Great excitement now ensued on Parry threatening to assault Forrest and Parry was ordered off the field , the spectators calling for both men to be ordered off. The play was now carried to the Everton end, but despite all the Rovers efforts, they could not break through the Everton defence. Geary now made a fine run, but Brandon was again in the way, and the Rovers again got down Campbell getting a shot at goal, but again failing the Rovers shooting being very poor throughout. Final result Everton three goals, Blackburn Rovers two. Teams; Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Parry, Geary Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Blackburn Rovers:- McOwen, goal, Brandon, and Forbes, backs, Douglas, Dewar, and Forrest half-backs, Lofthouse, Campbell, Southworth , Walton, and Townley, forwards.

September 9 1889. The Liverpool Courier
On Saturday the Everton Reserves made the first appearance this season, journeying to the new ground of the Egdehill in Picton-road. Edgehill had practically opened their season last Wednesday, when they drew with Garston. The turf was in splendid condition, after the heavy rains of late. A start was made at 4-05, and the following teams faced: - Everton Reserves: - Joliffe (C), goal, Nidd (F) and Hammond (H) (captain), backs, Richmond, Martin, and Howell, half-backs, Orr (W), Wilson (W), Jones (R), Purvis, and Dean, forwards. Edgehill: - Hughes (T), goal, Tibbott (T), and Cheshire (W), backs Hughes (F), Brown (JA) and Jones (W), half-backs, Denney (J) Rigby (D), Tibbott (A), Kelly (R) (captain), and Abbott (F), forwards. Hammond late of Edgehill captained the Everton team. Edgehill won the toss and elected to play with the sun at their backs. Orr started the ball for Everton, and played was immediately taken into the home team's quarters, but was kicked wide over the line. A foul soon afterwards looked dangerous for Edgehill but nothing ensued. Play was located inside the Edgehill lines for some length of time, and at last Wilson succeeded in scoring the first. The visitors continued to press, and forced a corner, which proved abortive, and Edgehill made their first visit into strange country, but not for long, the ball being soon taken back and another corner gained, but Everton did not succeed, in putting the ball through the goal. Aftersome gave and take play, Everton at last got the ball down, but Dean shot wide. Fast but even play followed, of which Edgehill, had slightly the best of play. The home team now played with more vigour, and magnificent play took place in front of the Everton goal. Rigby putting in a stinger, which Joliffe failed to negotiate, making the score even. Edgehill again had the ball in front, and Joliffe was called upon to save, which he did grandly, but A.Tibbott repeated the dose, scoring a second goal. Everton left then made a dash and Purvie continuing, R Jones put it through but Edgehill made a claim for offside, which was sustained. Everton left were again conspicuous, Purvis and Dean working the ball down and Purvis shot Hughes making a feeble attempt to save a second goal for Everton. The combined forwards of Edgehill here made an ugly rush, but they could not break through the defence of Everton. Each tried hard to break through, but neither side could get any material advantage. Half-time score; Everton Reserves 2 goals, Edgehill 2 goals. On change of ends Edgehill were the first to attack, but could not break through, Everton's minutes afterwards forcing a corner. Hughes however, was safe, and Kelly of Edgehill came down with a rush, which Wilson stopped. Nothing of note took place for some time. Edgehill at length breaking the monotony and forcing a corner, from which A.Tibbott secured the third goal for his side. Edgehill continued to have the best of the play, being confined in front of Everton's goal for a long time, but Edgehill were not able to add to their score. Everton's right raced up, and after repeated attempts, Orr equalised. Dean and Purvis, on the left, put in some good shots, but was unfortunate in not scoring. Edgehill replying with a speedy run on the left Tibbott shooting over the bar. The home team of the two had slightly the best of it, but was unable to score. Final result Edgehill 3 Everton Reserves 5.

September 9 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
The season opened at Anfield-road unpretentiously, the initial game with Stanley on Monday and again that with Earlestown on Wednesday, being more of the character of exercising canters over the whole course than serious battles. Everton started well by putting in a prompt appearance, but Stanley, by their tardiness in arriving 20 minutes late, rather severely tested the patience of the crowd. Both teams met with a very hearty reception, and when the cheers had subsided the ball was set rolling on another season in right good earnest. The home side at once went off, as an astonishing pace, and almost rushed their opponents out of bounds in headlong assault. Some tremendously hot shot were levelled at the Stanley keeper in the early stages of play. In fact he was always in difficulties-and though at times really clever, Richmond could not stand up against the powerful and relentless Everton forwards. Latta led off the scoring, and Geary quickly followed suit. Stanley pulled up somewhat after there reverse, but once more the defence succumbed to Latta and Geary. The second position of the game was almost entirely contested in the Stanley quarters. Geary was accredited with two additional successful shots Latta another, and Parry one and when the end came Everton were found to be 8 goals to 0, the better team. Taken throughout, the game proved as one-sided as it was expected would be the case. Real interested, of course, centred in the abilities of the newly fledged champions and suffice it to say that the acquisition more than came up to expectations. The unison of the forwards was a new and delighting experience to Evertonians, and as the defence as far as it was tried was equally strong predictions were general of a substantial season's record. Orr and R Jones did some excellent attack work, and Griffiths exhibited spirited defence in the interests of Stanley but these three labored in vain when support was lacking. Then engagement with Earlestown was looked forward to as more of a test. Everton represented by much the same team that had so mercilessly crushed the spirit of Stanley. Waugh now filled the position of centre, Geary turning up too late to join his comrades, and Farmer displaced Howell, who promise to be a most useful half-back. Though dash resigned from the start to finish the only really interesting feature took place during the first few minutes during which time each side scored, both points being the result of smart forward combination. Afterwards the game was never in doubt, and as victory became more remote Earlestown grew more disorganized. Mis-kicks by the visitors back division and faulty passing among the forwards grew painfully frequent, whilst Jenkinson, was bad fair to prove a worthy successor to Champion in goal, was at fault on two occasions, when the ball rolled, harmlessly under his foot from easy shots. The full score was 9 goals to 1 in favour of Everton, taking 17 to 1 as the product of their two opening matches. Few clubs will have such a firm foundation on which to erect averages. The second performance of Everton, if anything was an improvement on that of the first. Hannnah and Doyle again gave satisfaction the halves played a fair game, and Latta, Brady, and Chadwick stood out prominently in brilliant maneuvering. On behalf of Earsletown, Deaden, Morris, and J.Shaw were at times troublesome to cope with, though never allowed to become dangerous, but the visitors, weakness was mostly observable in the back division. Everton's triumph on Saturday, over the formidable Blackburn Rovers-the team of Internationals-was a grand finish of a most remarkably successful opening week. The manner of victory it is true, was now but a single goal, but goals are difficult to obtain in matches, where all the players are highly developed exponents and the score of 3 to 2 about as accurately reflects the run of the play, as any goal standard could. The Rovers came fully equipped with the best of last year's men, strengthened by the infusion of three of Scotland's most illustrious men. Brandon Dewar and Campbell-and their old companion Lofthouse who had tired of his coquetting with Accrington. Everton however, were not so fortunate. The team that secured victory was not the one originally in tended, for no reason of their own, but owing to the action- weather justifiable or not the immediate future will show-of the English Council in suspending Brady for alleged duel registration. We say alleged disparity, for though he has been proacunced guilty and sentenced without hearing the defence, Brady still asserts he had not tied himself to Burnley. To return to Everton first League success, the event must be recorded as one of the reddest of red-letter days in the history of Anfield football. The attendance was phemomal. Every inch of standing room, and there are a good many inches in the Everton enclosure, was occupied, and is proved that the accommodation even now is inadequate for special occasions, enthusiasm ran high and cheers recognized good points on either side and so complete the enjoyment the weather was superb from an onlookers point of view if not exactly to the taste of the actors. Milward was substituted for Brady, and so with Parry in partnership with Latta the home wings were about equally balanced. The pace was exhausting at the commencement. Everton were the first to get near goal, but without effort. Blackburn replied with interest immediately, as a terrific rush down the left, a sharp centre by Townley, and a shot by Campbell were too overpowering for Smalley. Players thus fitted up and down rapidly, whilst Geary was standing out in bold relief for his speedy runs among Evertonians, and Townley and Walton were the more active of the Rovers. Everton notched the second and third goals, and Southworth soon brought his club up on an equably, but the next and last goal was the property of the home club- all in the first half-hence Everton's victory. Everton continued well with the Rovers, the point in which the winners were superior was in shooting when at close quarters. Individually Geary was the hero of the match, his sprinting capabilities were a revelation to all, and the way he ran round his opponents visibly astonished them. Milward shaped very well with Chadwick, but Latta always cool and decisive did not, get so much help from Parry. Holt Farmer, and Weir were a match for their opposing half-line, and gave every satisfaction, and so did Smalley, Doyle, and Hannah though Doyle was the more brilliant. Townley, Walton, Campbell, and Southworth were too uprightly for Lofthouse. Forbes and Brandon were always difficulty to pass, and McOwen saved many testing shots. Parry was humiliated by being ordered off the field for unnecessary violence, which should teach him a useful lesson.

September 10 1889. The Liverpool Courier
Yesterday, the Evertonians visited Blackpool, and having beaten Blackburn Rovers a couple of days previous in the first round of the League fixtures. The event naturally aroused a large amount of interest, and the attendance of spectators, therefore was a large one. Everton had all the best of the game, and really giving the opponents a look in, won a one-side game by five goals to nil.

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 10 September 1889
Played at South Shore last evening, before an enormous attendance The Liverpoudlians were short only of Geary. Commencing the play were the first to show up. but were eventuallv repulsed by Gosling. Then Smalley had much as he could manage from Robert Elston. Beautiful play by the Everton forward caused the home defence again trouble, and after Langley had been fully tried, Chadwick beat him and got the first point for Everton. The Shortis were clearlv overplayed, and goals came rapidly to the visitors. Latta getting second goal smartly, and Milward a third. Here Cookson and Sharpies both put in dangerous shots, but Hannah, well backed up Doyle, cleared them away, and racing to other end, Chadwick but the fourth goal for his side. At half-time the score stood— At half-time the score stood -Everton 4, . South Shore nil. Downhill the home side performed better, and kept Everton from scoring. During the lost 20 minutes they kept up a constant attack on the Everton stronghold and but for the alertness of Smalley, Hannah, and co, would certainly have scored. Breaking away from the crowd at last, the Scotchman Latta overcame the home defenders, and put on goal No. 5. Everton won a well contested game five goals to nil.

September 10 1889. The Liverpool Courier
There was but a moderate gathering of spectators, to witness their match at the Anfield-road ground last evening. The Irish took the kick off, but the ball was immediately returned to their side, and the attack taken up against the visiting team was a spirited, but not very successful one. Time after time shots were sent in, many of them, however, lacking in accuracy, but the goalkeeper would not allow himself to be defeated, and he was warmly cheered for his clever fisting out. At length an exceedingly neat shot from the right found at way between the sticks. The Volunteers applied themselves to the game with greater vigour after this reverse, and carrying the ball well down, a strong shot was sent along, the sphere however, hitting the crossbar and, rebounding in the centre of the players, when one of the Irish, availing himself of a good opportunity, made the score equal. The ball being taken to midfield was kick off and J Jones dribbing up a grand styles, beat the Goalkeeper for the second time. Not many minutes had passed when Martin was the means of increasing the score of the home team, and Half-time was at hand with the game 3 goals to one in favour of the Reserves. For a considerable period in the second half the home team had much the best of the play, but were not effected in front of goal, thus winning 3-1. Everton reserves, Joliffe, goal, Nidd, and Richmond, backs, Fenn, Martin and Howell, half-backs, Dean, Lindsay, Singleton, Jones (R), and Lowden forwards. 5 th V.B: - Fitspatrick, goal, Tully, and McArle backs Jones, Byrne, and Brown, half-backs, Lambert, Lynott, Kelly, Clarke, and Kelly (R) forwards.

September 10 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
It will be remembered that at the close of 1887, the Everton club was suspended by the English Association and owing to this the team could not play out of the tie in the Liverpool Association competition. The executive requested the local Association to allow them an extension of time in order to play in the competition, but this not being acceded to the club's name was withdraw from the Association. The committee, we are informed have considered their action and again join the Association.

Burnley Gazette - Wednesday 11 September 1889
The following paragraph, contributed by "Mickey Free" appeared in a football paper on Saturday - The announcement regarding the provisional suspension of Brady, until May 1st came like a thunderclap on us, and everyone interested in Everton was soon keenly seeking information. I saw Brady himself, and he most positively asserts that he never put pen to paper in the way of signing any agreement whatever for Burnley. His own version of the meeting at Renton with Messrs Midgeley and Friel, of the Burnley club, amounted to this, that they extracten from him a verbal promise to play for their club and they also made a promise with regard to certain remineration, &c, but beyond this chat nothing took place, and he can produce a companion to corrobrate his statement. I recollect Mr. Barclay telling me that he had recieved a letter from Burnley secretary stating that they had registered Brady three days before Everton, but that unfortunately the paper, which was posted from Scotland, was lost, and no trace of it could be found, and they asked for the co-operation of Everton in punishing Brady for his alleged duplicity. If the paper was lost how has it come to light again." Should Everton not have been in formed of the steps which were about to be taken at the meeting of the Football Association." To my mind it seems a mighty high handled way to carry on business. In reply to the above, we received the following statement from Mr. Midgley, the chairman of Mr. White the secretary of the Burnley club. "On the 11th July last Brady signed an English Association professional form for Burnley, and this we sent to Mr. Alcock, the secretary about the 15th and it would reach him on the 16th or 17th. Brady seems to have signed for Everton about the 20th and was registered for that club on 22nd. Our form was lost in London. We wrote several times to Mr. Alcock to acknowledge its receipt, but he reply was that it had not been recived. We wrote to Everton informing them that Brady had previously signed for us, but they were evidently determined to keep him at Liverpool and wished us to let the matter drop. However, as we had been at considerable expense and trouble in obtaining him, we felt it our duty to bring the matter before the Association and at the meeting last Thursday night the last regriastion for Burnley which Brady had signed came to light among Mr. Alcock's papers. It is a matter of fact that Brady's companion mentioned in the above extract, also signed a paper at the same time, and is in reality registered for Burnley, but the committee have not taken any steps to secure him.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 14 September 1889
That Alec. Brady, who signed for both Everton and Burnley, and who has been suspended, is having to pay he the penalty of his folly; that his allegation that he did not sign for Burnley has been proved an erroneous; that on July 11th Burnley sent an English Association profesional forms to mr. Alcock signed by Brady, and on the 20th July Brady seem to have signed for Everton; that by some means the form sent from Burnley was lost, and as its receipt was not acknoweldge several communications were sent from Burnley without effect; that after writing three or four times correspondence took place with the secretary of the Everton club, who expressed a wish to keep Brady and pleaded that Burnley would let the matter drop; that on Thursday week the matter was brought up at the Association meeting and in rummaging through the papers, the professional form sent from Burnley and lost, came to light, and Brady was suspended until May 1stl that Brady says a promise to play for Burnley was extracted from him, but he did not sign, and that he could produce evidence from a companion that he did not sign; that the companion is probably Pat Gordon, who signed for Burnley at the same time as Brady, but who the club did not attempt to keep to his word.

September 16 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton entered into their second League engagement on Saturday, at Anfield-road, in the presence of between 12,000 and 13,000 spectators. The home side was the same as that which successfully defeated the Rovers the previous week, while the visitors, who turned up a quarter of an hour late, had two changes from the card- Friel and Ashworth substituting McFettridge and Yates. Hannah won the toss and Caldow set the ball in motion on a fine field of play. Milward soon fastened on the leather, and with an easy style, gave his side a chance to get down on the left, but Berry was in readiness, and Hannah had his work cut out to prevent Hayes and Ashworth getting dangerous. Geary was now conspicuous in a dashing run down, his finish just going behind, and from the goal kick Haresnape made another incursion to the home quarters, but failed to get the best of Farmer, who enabled Chadwich and Milward to get away, and the latter, sending a well judged pass to Geary the Everton centre scored the initial point five minutes from the start. Again the home lot were in the thick of the fray, and Weir, by getting the upper hand of Haresnape, allowed Latta to screw to Parry, and Everton were leading by two goals in eight minutes, the Welshman goal being one of neatest seen this season. Arousing themselves, Burnley put in a lot of good points, and Keenan working through skimmed the bar with a speedy shy. Caldow being penalised for fouling Holt, the homesters were again in the Visitors quarters and Cox just managed to save his charge by a timely kick-out. Hands fell to Burnley close in, but Lang put the ball through without any one touching it on its course. Still forcing the play, Farmer and Weir keep their forward rank well supplied, and Chadwick failed to effect an opening. Smalley, for the first time, had to stop a smart shot from Friel, and both teams were penalised for offside, but no advantage was gained. Even play continued for some time, when Latta again asserted himself, and screwing across the goalmouth, Chadwick all but found another weak spot. Cox saving a grand attempt. With great determination the Burnleyites get within the home backs. Where Hannah showed sterling defence by Successfully tackling Ashcroft and Haresnape. At the other end White kept Latta at bay, while Berry cleared, and after Weir had headed away from a corner, half-time arrived with the score Everton 2 goals, Burnley nil. At this stage it was observed that Geary was suffering from lameness, he having been kicked by Lang. The second portion started as hotly as the first, and both goals were attended to in quick succession. Keenans, who had been confident in his tactics, lobbed to Caldow who had the misfortune to hit the bar, the ball falling into Smalley's hands and being thrown away-only temporarily, however, as Ashcroft notched the first goal for Burnley five minutes from the re-start. Not to be beaten, Everton completely stormed Cox, and his backs division, and at length Geary put between the post, but offside was called. On what ground, however, was not clearly shown, as the Burnley custodian by touching the ball, put the Evertonians on side. This bit of ill-luck give the Evertonians more dash, and Weir and Doyle kept pegging away and confined play to the Burnley end, for a least five minutes. The goal was not to be again captured, however, and a exciting a good game ended in favour to Everton by 2 goals to 1. Teams; Everton:- Smalley, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Weir, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Parry, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Burnley, Cox, goal, Berry, and White, backs, Friel, Lang, and Keenan, half-backs, Haresnape, Campbell, Caldow, Hayes, and Ashmore, forwards. Referee Mr. Sam Ormerod

September 16 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This match was played at the Borough-road Enclosure on Saturday before a fair number of spectators. The home team were minus Myers, while O'Toole played for Everton as a substitute. Morgan kicked off at twenty minutes past four uphill, and at once raid was made on the home goal. Littler got off on the right, the visitors forwards assuring's run down, O'Toole shooting behind. On resuming some tall kicking was indulged in. Fish ran up the centre, Nidd tackling well and returning to midfield. A pretty passing movement by the Reserves van resulted in the ball being shot behind. Hughes moved his kick immediately after, placing his goal in jeopardy. Fish and Little got up by means of a long kick, Joliffe conceding a corner from hands off Roberts in midfield, the same player defending well in the goalmouth. Some spirited play assured in the home half, Nidd showing grand kicking powers. Nidd and Richmond collided, an abortive corner falling to the Reserves. Joliffe immediately after had to saved, Nidd miskicking. The visitors forwards then removed the scene of operations, Richmond being hunted for giving a kick to Fish, the latter having to leave the field. From a run in, Little centred and Munro scored a fine shot. Morgan ran up the centre, and compelled Joliffe to throw out F Rogers concede a corner to the visitors, and some excited play took place in the mouth of the home goal, F.Rodgers defending well, H.Sherdan fisting out, in grand style, Dean throughout played well, Sheridan again saved brilliantly. Half-time Rovers one goal, Reserves nil. Result Everton Reserves 2 goals, Tranmere Rovers 1 goal. Teams Rovers: - Sheridan (H), goal, Hughes (W), and Rogers (F), backs, Sherdian (G) Little (W), and Munro (H), half-backs, Morton (J) Fish (H), Rogers (E) Robert, forwartds. Everton: - Joliffe goal, Richmond (W), and Hammond (WH), backs, Howell (W), Martin (G), and Nidd (F), O'Toole, Jones (R), Orr (W), Dean (J), and Whittaker (D), forwards.

September 16 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Having as the commencement of the season caught the right tide at the flood Everton are sailing gaily on to fortune. Five matches have they so far engaged in, and five times their have their colours been run up exultantly. On Monday they made an annual visit to the ground of South Shore, where on prior occasions they had often tasted humble pie, and last year were indulged to the nauseous extent of 4 goals to 1. But now the tables are decidedly turned. Everton fairly run away with the game thought it was played far out of the sound of the spurring cheers of the enthusiastic Liverpool friends, and returned home from their first crusade with an unequivocal success of 5 goals to 0. Such a result carried its own conviction that Everton has vastly improved, whilst South Shore has either remained stationary or retrograded. Doyle it reported to have been in fine feather, but so must all the others have been to achieve such a satisfactory result, and not the least impressive Orr, who was tried at Centre, and enabled Geary to husband his strength for more exacting occasions. The visit of Burnley on Saturday to contest Everton's second league match proved almost as important an event as that of the previous week. The attendance of the public was very little less that that which witnessed the overthrow of the Blackburn Rovers but the sun did not shine nor was the play as interesting and so the sport was not quite so enjoyable. Everton were enabled to play the adeptical team that had won the opening league match-mark the same eleven players on two successive Saturdays, is not this another new experience; and Burnley were fully manned, though they made two changes in the team announced. Friel and Ashmore replacing McFettridge and Yates as right-back and outside left forward respectively. Four o'clock was the time arranged for the kick-off; but contrary to the excellent punctuality observed by the Rovers, Burnley were late in arriving, and it was fully 15 minutes after time when Mr Ormerod gave the signal to commended the play-which always hard was opened at an exhausting pace. Everton moved rapidly down the hill but Friel cleared the attack and Burnley got at shooting range, Hannah cleared with great judgement, and Geary with one his brilliant sprints but was brought to earth by Cox who tackled just in time to save his goal from being capture. Haresnape cleverly baffled Farmer a moment later, but a foul was soon signal to Everton and so well was this utilised by Milward for a run ended with Geary scored the opening point on 6 minutes. While a few minutes later a grand movement leaving Cox beaten for a second time and Burnley retired beaten by 2 goals to 1, after as hard and forcible an hour and half play's as they are likely to encounter again during this season. The victory of Everton is all the more meritorious for being achieved under difficulties, and there were that Hannah was badly indisposed before he began play, and that Geary received an ugly kick during the opening period of the game which prevented him displaying his great sprinting qualities. Hannah showed some fine kicking, Doyle dropped in for plenty of work from Haresnape and Campbell, who were the leaders of the Burnley attack, and on the whole he was very successful in fouling the raiders. The home halves were not to finished in their work as on on the previous Saturday. Holt had to be face Caldow, a veritable giant, and the David often circumbvealed the Goliath if he did not, figuratively speaking slay him. Farmer improved as the game went on, and was a complete barrier to Haresnape towards the close. Weir played consistently well throughout, and was equal to Keenan, wing was the cleverest of Burnley's half-backs. Latta proved a thorn in the side of White-a really brilliant back-and made the home right wing more difficult to compass than the left, though Chadwick tried his best. Smalley and Cox were about equally smart in goal. As evidence of the determined character of the play, the referee had occasion to lecture two or three men on their mode of tackling, but nonewent so far as to provoke the extreme course of being ordered off. The Everton executive have been fortunate enough to secure Kirkwood to fill the gap caused by Brady's enforced idleness. He hails from East Stirlingshire, and only awaits the necessary ordeal of registration. Brady's case is likely to be the subject of discussion at to-day's meeting of the Everton committee.

September 17 1889. The Liverpool Courier
Doyle and Wykes ordered off the field second half, Weir breaks his arm after a quarter of an hour.
This match was played at Wolverhampton yesterday afternoon in the presence of 4,000 spectators. The weather was beautiful, and the ground-a splendid level place of turf, which was formerly a racing track, and has been newly, acquired by the Wanderers-was in capital condition. This was one of the League fixtures, and it will be remembered that last year the Wanderers won both encounters. That at home being in their favour by five to nil, whilst at Anfield they won by two to one. During the present season the Wolverhampton team has taken part in two League matches-that with Notts County, in which they were successful by two goals to nil, whilst they were defeated by Blackburn Rovers last Saturday. The teams as Follows: - Everton: - Smalley goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Weir, Holt and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Parry, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wanderers:- Rose goal, Baugh, and Mason backs, Fletcher, Allen, and Lowder, half-backs, Knight Worrasll Wykes, Wood, and Booth, forwards. Umpire Messrs E.Berry and Dallard; Referee C. Grump. From the kick off Everton at once made the play, and a shot from Chadwick was only just put away by Rose, whilst lying nearly full length on the ground and he was compelled to concede a corner. Nothing resulted from it, and the Wanderers at once made splendid headway and looked extremely dangerous, but Smalley succeeded in saving his goal. Then the Wanderers, after the kick off, again forced the game, and a foul failing to them at rather close quarters to the “sticks” matters appeared rather sicky for the visitors again, but a kick over the line denuded some grand play of any practical conclusion. Chadwick from the goal kick, carried the ball very prettily down, and he handed his charge over to Geary. That player made a little headway, and then exchanged possession with Parry, who very neatly shot through. Uneventful play ensued until the “Wolves” vanguard, gaining complete hold of the ball, were in good trim, for scoring when Wykes was guilty of a most miserable kick over the bar, whilst close into goal. A few minutes later Booth charged Weir, and the test-named player fell heavily on his left arm, and fractured his wrist. Dr. Millington attended to the injury, and at the same time Hannah had the little finger of his left hand looked after, as it had received a sprain. The game was delayed for nearly ten minutes, and then Weir was removed to hospital, his arm bound in splints. It may be as well to mention that the charge was a perfectly legitimate one, and blame cannot be attached to Booth. Play was resumed with only ten men for Everton, and the home team at once took their advantage. Worrall had a capital chance, which he missed. Knight has another grand opportunity, but nearly retrieved his mistake by a pretty long shot, which just shaved the cross bar. The Wolves were biting hard, but Smalley proved difficult to beat, and was applauded for a fine save. Then Geary and Latta who were playing on the wing-Parry having gone half-back-rushed down at a great pace, and the sprinting centre forward almost made his mark. Worrall one of the home team's reserves was making Knight a remarkably clever companion, and from a pass by Mason he headed through, Smalley having run out to kick the ball no one being near to assit him. Worrall again made his presence felt a few minutes later, as he raced down the field and then shot right across, but Wykes, who should have completed the effort totally lost his kick, although he was but two yards from goal. Booth had another try but shot over, the kicking of the homesters having throughout being very erractic. Half-time came with the score equal, one each. After the interval the Wanderers without any loss of time made tracks for the opponent's charge, but Doyle removed the scene of action, and Parry was enabled to send in a magnificent long shot, which struck the crossbar, and dropped into Rose's hands. The spectators for the attempt however, warmly commended Their Evertonians. The home left wing were very much in evidence, and compelled Hannah to recede and allow a corner. This was unfruitful, and so also was one which the “Wolves” took at the other side. Geary then, when not far from his own goal, became possessed of the sphere and rushed away at a slashing rate, passing all in front of him, and finishing by kicking into the home custodian's hands. The other end was next visited, and an exceedingly warm contest raged round the visitors' goal. Smalley seemed to be imbued with some marvelous power, and repelled power, and repelled shot after shot in unapproachable style although his antagonists swarmed round him like bees in a hive. At this stage of the game the referee exercised his prerogative in ordering Doyle and Wykes off the field , they having come to loggerheads over some question upon which they held diametrically opposite opinions. They promptly retired companions in misfortune, and were greeted with criss of ‘'shake hands'' The “Wolves” pressed with dogged pertenacity, and Smalley was obliged to bring into play his utmost power of defence. Time after time he fisted and headed in unimpeachable fashion, and one of the spectators firmly averted that he had never seen such a capable display of goalkeeping. At last he was forced to show that he was not infallible, the ball being sent sharply in from a scrimmage, and making the score two to one in favour of the Wanderers. The homesters fairly hummed round their opponents' goal posts with determination, and could not be removed for some time until Geary broke away and again sprinted the length of the field, but unfortunately placed the ball into the goalkeeper's hands for the second time. The Evertonians were now, in the semi-darkness scarely able to do more than act purely on the defensive, and only on two occasions managed to carry the leather over the half-way line. The game ended with the score Wanderers 2 goals, Everton 1. The utmost sympathy was evinced for Weir, and the accident was deeply regretted by the spectators, not only for the reason that it caused authoring to a follow creature, but because it rendered the game uneven, so that a criterion could not be formed as to the relative merits of the team. Weir was able to travel home with his clubmates, but it is doubtful weather his injury will permit him to play until six or seven weeks have elapsed. The accident proved very unfortunate to the club, as prior to it occurring the team was more than holding its own against the “Wolves” while afterwards though they played pluckily and with considerable dash the loss of the sterling half-backs was too keenly felt, and the combination sadly demitted in effect.

September 17, 1889. The Liverpool Daily Post
The first meeting of these teams took place last evening, on the Anfield enclosure, before a moderate attendance. Orr started on behalf of Everton, the visitors being first away. Nidd relieved, and Morris was called upon by Deane. George and Farish raced down the centre, a corner accruing, which Jones kicked behind. The goal kick brought no relief, and Fairish and Jones passing all opposition, but the former shot struck the post, and rebounded into play. Deane and Whittaker came away on the right, and Morris had to throw clear. Howell was them penalised for tripping and Meakin caused Richmond to kick clear. Shaw and George then had hard lines, the latter trying a shot close in goal, which Joliffe just managed to reach, a corner being conceded, which was cleared by Martin. Taylor was applauded for cleverly checking Cowden and Jones, and for a considerable time the visiting backs were kept hard at work. Relief came at last through Deane shooting behind, and half-time arrived without either team having scored. George restarted, the Everton men early invading Morris's charge. Taylor relieved, and a clever bit of passing them ensued, in which Meakin, Shaw, and George were the most prominent. The home backs, however, played well together, and all danger was averted by Howell kicking into Morris's hands, a corner being conceded, which proved abortive. A smart run by Shaw was well checked by Martin, Joliffe almost brought about a disaster through running out to save, Richmond saving in the nick of time. The homesters then carried hostilities to the opposite end, but the visitors offered a capital defence, the game ending in a draw, no goals being scored. Teams: - Everton: - Joliffe goal, Nidd, and Richmond, backs, Wilkinson, Martin, and Howell, half-backs, Cowden, R. Jones, Orr, Deane, and Whittaker forwards. Aintree Church: - Morris goal, Taylor, and Hughes, backs, Body, A. Jones, and Dickson, half-backs, Meakin, Shaw, George, Farish, and R. Jones, forwards.

September 23 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton journeyed to Bolton on Saturday to play their first League match against the Wanderers. The Visitors had two changes from the previous week's team, Joliffe and R Jones respectively substituting Smalley and Weir, who are on the sick list, Whilst Roberts who met with a slight accident a few days ago was absent from the home half-backs division. the day was showery which rendered the Pike's lane ground very heavy to play on, and it was supposed that Everton would have to succumb to their opponents, but the reverse was the case, as the Anfieldities came away easy victors. Hannah won the toss, and Barbour kicked off in the presence of above 4,000 spectators including some 600 from Liverpool. The visiting went away on the right, and by a bit of doggy play, Latta was enabled to screw into the Wanderers goal, which Jones had some difficulty in clearing. The right pair of the Wanderers got down, and Farmer nicely foiled Brogan when steadying for an effort to lead. Again taking up the play, Latta and Jones had hard lines the ball grazing the upright; but Geary soon made amends by putting one past Harrison, from a nice centre by Milward, ten minutes from the start. Away the visitors went on their second mission and continued for some time at their opponents end, and Jones at length eased by conceding a fruitless corner to Latta. Although Barbour and Weir tried hard to equalises, they always failed to pass Doyle who persistently robbed them, and by grand tackling and kicking kept his forwards on the attack. Latta screwed across the goalmouth in a business like style, but Milward failed to get up, and the ball rolled out. Latta however, put one through, which was disallowed for offside. With this decision Everton seemed to worked harder, and Harrison was kept busy clearing four success shots from the visitors' left and centre. Hannah shortly afterwards had to pull up Brogan but failed to get the leather far enough away as the home right again attacked, and Joliffe let a shot from the old Hibernian go through between his legs, thereby allowing the game to be equal. Everton was asked to play up to which they immediately replied, Milward rushing down in fine style and placing accurately to Geary who again forged his side ahead with a grand shot. This brought about half-time, with the score- Everton 2 goals Wanderers 1. On resuming the game became fast and exciting and neither club seemed to be put about by the drenching rain. The Wanderers were the first to attack and had three fruitless corners conceded them, from one of which Geary got away in a speedy run towards the home goal, when Flitcroft ran across and tripped him up three yeards from the upright, but no foul was given. It was now Latta's turn to try and increase the points and Harrison had difficulty in staving off disaster by putting two well directed shots to this side of the posts. Play was fast and pretty even for some time, when Geary was loudly cheered for eluding the back division and sending one past Harrison, but from some unexplained cause the referee again disallowed the point, so claim being made by the Wanderers for off-side. Nothing daunted it was a treat to see how determined the Liverpool men were in their work, and soon Milward added goal three for Everton to which the Wanderers, added by Milne added a second goal a minute later. Striving to equalise, the Trotters put in all they could, but were easily stalled off by the fine defence of the visitors and it was not long before Chadwick further increased the lead with a grand shy, after the attention which Flitcroft had paid him. Bullough and Robinson were now getting in some good work, and were the means of Barbour beating Joliffe for a third time, ten minutes from the finish. Again Geary had the misfortune to be fouled, when he had the goal, at his mercy but nothing came from the free kick. No further scoring taking place, a fast and interesting game ended in favour of Everton by 4 goals to 3. Teams Everton: - Joliffe goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt, and Farmer half-backs, Latta, Jones (R), Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wanderers: - Harrison, goal, Robinson, and Jones backs Bullough, Weir (D), and Milne half-backs Brogan, Davenport, Barbour, Turner, and Weir, forwards. Umpire Messrs, E.Barry, and J.J.Bentley, referee Mr. Jope (Wednesbury).

Sptember 23 1889. The Liverpool Courier
This match was played on the Anfield enclosure on Saturday in showery weather. The ground was in much better condition than was expected, considering the amount of rain that has failed during the last few days. The Wanderers were the first to put in an appearance and Everton were a few minutes behind time, and when the official whistle blew there would be about 1,000 spectators. Cooper kicked off, and Kirkwood, the new forward put in some pretty passing quickly showing a perfect command over the ball. Time after time was he cheered for fine play, and if this was a sample of his form Everton has indeed secured a gem of the first water. Fast play was the order of the day both Richmond and Moore early being called upon to use their hands one shot by Martin nearly taking effect. Lindsay nearly spoiled a good combined attack by the visiting forwards, who were playing well together but coming again the “Trotters” obtained their first goal Rushton beating Richmond with a good shot. Everton putting in tried hard to equalize, and Whittaker had hard lines with a long shot, which Moores justed fisted over the bar. The corner was futile and play settled down in midfield. After the Wanderers had taken an abortive corner the home front division made a spirited attack which nearly caused the downfall of the visitors' citadel. For after each forward having the ball in turn, Orr just shot wide of the post, when he seemed to have the goal at his mercy a near thing. The Wanderers next had a turn, the Everton goal having several close shares, but the defence was all there, and nothing tangible resulted. The home left wing initiated a pretty movement, which was checked by Jackson, who had kicked in good form all through this half. The right wing took up the attack and after a beautiful centre kick by Kirkwood, Fenn caused laughter by a poor shot, which was yards of its mark. Score at half-time: - Wanders 1 goal, Everton, nil. Whittle kick off, and Everton at once attacked, the right wing, running the ball to Kirkwood neatly past to Fenn, who transferred the leather to Dean, who easily beat Moores with a grand oblique shot. Again Kirkwood was to the fore, giving his forwards splendid chances in front of goal, his centres being most accurate. Martin and Nidd time after time prevented the visitors from becoming dangerous and Everton were now having nearly all the game. Cooper out in a splendid single-handed dribble, which but far being badly backed up would have proved better for his side than it did. Playing better together the Wanderers kept play in the home half, Richmond at last changing the venue with a Hugh kick. Not for long did Everton keep the advantage for after Dean and Whittaker had put in a good run, Jackson gave the leather to his forwards, who quickly swarmed around the Everton goal, but could not break through for some time, until Ruston with a grand shot again placed his side in front with a neat shot. Everton made a determined attack, which resulted in a abortive corner. Everton goal was nearly captured, bad shooting however, spoiled them and Everton back was so good that the Wanderers had to concede a corner kick, taken by Kirkwood and so well placed that Whittaker easily put his side on level terms again. Hardly had the cheers died away, when the home forwards were again in front, and Orr beat Moores for the third time. Corners now became frequent and the excitement ran high, but nothing further resulted from the game. Everton Reserves 3 goals, Bolton Wanderers Reserves 2 goals. Everton: - Joliffe, goal, Hammond, and Richmond backs, Nidd Martin and Howell, half-backs, Fenn, Kirkwood, Orr, Whittaker and Dean, forwards .

September 23 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton betook themselves to Wolverhampton on Monday to play their first League match away from home with no misgiving. All the players turned up looking fresh and well, even Hannah and Geary who were sufferers on the previous Saturday and confidence was general among the party which filled the saloon car that the “Wolves” would be driven to bay, if not slaughtered. Arriving in the town three hours before starting time there was opportunity for a good rest after the journey, and when play commenced, just before half-past five. Everton soon showed the Midlands that they could go at a merry pace on the splendid field, which is roomy and capacious, and in a few minutes had scored the initial goal. The Wanderers too were in an active frame of mind, and give trouble, but were stalled off promptly. Play proceeded keenly and evenly for about a quarter of an hour when the great mishap of Weir on being charged, when running fast, falling and breaking his arm, rendering him of course, hers de comes. This was a severe blow to the hopes of the visitors for they had fairly taken the measure of the Wanderers and were displaying great dash and rare combination, more compicious for sterling work being Weir, who was giving a further taste of the surpassing good form he had hitherto to shown this season. Having to continue the fight with unequal numbers, much of the interest vanished, but the ten men, by dint not hard work had almost as much of the game up to the interval as the eleven notwithstanding that Wolverhampton in the meantime had equalised and just after turning round, Everton had really hard luck in not scoring, as one of some good shots shook the crossbar, superior forces, however, gradually began to tall their tale, and the last half-hour's play went decidedly in favour of the home team. As the light warned a succession of terrific scrimmages were made near Everton's goal, and time after time it seemed certain that the Wolverhampton would make a winning hit but Smalley was at his best and treated all and sundry shots with delicious coolness, never once tumbling despite the violent, not to say spiteful way in which he was repeatedly pounced upon. Just when the probability of a drawn game seemed great, a further severe scrimmage arose, and, on Doyle sending Wykes to earth the latter lost control of his feeling and showed a menacing attitude. Mr. Crump, who was referring, and who has already given evidence of his determination to put down rough play, at once excised his authority, and ordered, both Doyle and Wykes of the field, he considering each at fault. This process of reduction was more serious for Everton, than for the Wanderers, as it left a weak spot in the defence that was soon taken advantage of, and after many denials the home club secured the goal, which give then the bare win of 2 goals to 1. Considering that Everton were shorthanded. Five-sixth of the time, on a strange ground to be beaten by a single goal by such a powerful team as the runners up of the English Cup, is not as overwhelming disaster; indeed remembering that they were leading at the time Weir received his injury, it is a variable “moral victory” Hannah by the bye, was considerably handicapped in getting a finger bone broken soon after the kick-off, but he played up well, as did all others in the back department. Geary made a good impression, among the spectators for his great sprints and both wings backed him up as well as they could in their depleted state. The Wanderers have still a splendid goalkeeper in Rose, and capable backs as Baugh relieve him and Mason are as brilliant as ever. The halves were not superior to Everton middle line, nor did the forwards combined better, but they have a strong right wing especially Worrall.

Everton have now decided four of their League matches-one more than any of their colleague and having won three are still in the proud position of leaders. Their last victory like all others, was only attained after a hard tussle, but though not fully repressed, they always had the pull over the Bolton Wanderers, notwithstanding that they were playing on Pike's lane ground which was in its worst condition consequent on the rain that fell. The scoring travelled on signing lines. Everton were first to open the account the Wanderers soon equalising, but at the interval the visitors were ahead again. The second half produced two goals each the last of which fell to the share of Everton, who thus won by 4 goals to 3. Whilst they were “refereed” out of a couple of others. Joliffe had charge of the goal, or the Wanderers would have been more severely beaten, as he failed at one or two very easy things, which must have been galling to Smalley, who still suffering from the bashing he received on Monday, was an unwilling spectator of his locum tenens shortcoming. Hannah and Doyle were generally reliable the latter disposing of the greater amount of work. Hannah was playing under difficulties, he being in ill health, in addition to his injured finger. Doyle was very well received by his last year's patrons. Parry made a good substitute for Weir, and rather outshine Holt and Farmer though they were willing workers. R Jones filled the gap on the right in partnership with Latta, and the late Stanley man kept well up with his comrades. Geary, Chadwick and Latta combined well and Milward was very smart in centring the ball. On the whole the Everton forwards played a good game, and it was in this department that they showed superiority over the Wanderers. Davenport and Brogan were as usual strong on the right, and D.Weir outshine Turner. Roberts not being well, Jones went half-back Fitcroft being called upon to compete the defence, which was strong.

September 24 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
These teams met at Earlestown last evening. The home team for some minutes played two short. Geary started, and after a brief visit to the Everton quarters, considerable pressure was brought to bear on the home goal, and Chadwick drew first blood. No sooner was the game resumed then Everton were again at the Earlestown end, and after the goalkeeper had fisted back, Chadwick again brought about the downfall of the Earlestown goal. The home forwards then initiated a pretty movement, and Joliffe was twice called upon. After some good work by Morris and Conway, in the corner, the former centred nicely, and Siddeley rushing up headed the leather through the Everton goal amid loud cheers. Half time was called, with Everton leading by 2 goals to 1. In the second half Everton notched 2 more goals, from Latta and Kirkwood, and won by 4 goals to 1. the home team were overmatched throughout. Teams, Everton: - Joliffe, goal, Hannah (Captain) and, Doyle, backs, Holt, Nidd (F), and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Kirkwood, Geary, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Earlestown: - Jenkinson, goal, Fazackerley, and Johnson, backs Akllison, Bowker, and Massey, half-backs, Shaw (J) Shaw (W), Siddeley, Conway, and Morris, forwards.

September 30 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton had another big crowd, something approaching 12,000, to see then again lower the colours of the Bolton Wanderers, who were stronger by the presence of Roberts although they were without the valuable aid of Davie Weir. Kirkwood appeared in his first League match partnering Latta, vice R.Jones, and the spectators were evidently satisfield with his easy and accurate play. Owing to the showers in the morning, the ground was on the heavy side, and a crosswind blew over the field. Hannah won the spin, and decided to face the wind, and sun. Barbour set the ball in motion, and it was not long before the homesters took up the attack; but they were stalled of by a timely punt from Roberts and Parry was conspicuous by pulling upTurner and Cooper, and planting well down, when, from a free kick caused by Davenport fouling Holt, Latta skimmed the bar. A neat bit of dribbling work on the part of Kirkwood again put the Everton on the attack, and Geary, getting the pass, managed to score the initial point by beating Harrison ten minutes from the start. From the centre the leather was again worked down by Geary, who made a successful claim against Bullough, but the free kick availed Everton nothing as the visitors had a corner through Doyle heading into Smalley's hands, a big lob from Roberts. The wanderers were now putting in some good work, and were for a few minutes in Everton's territory, but Holt eased the minds of the home supporters by clearing a good shot from Barbour three yards from the goalmouth. With this timely pass the Everton forwards took up-the reins and went along in line, and the hardest of luck fell to Latta as that players hit the crossbar with a grand shy. The Wanderers got over the line, Doyle sending back to his right wing pair, and Kirkwood and Latta evading Roberts and Jones looked as if the visitors' colours would be again lowred, but Milward failed to reach the screw shot from Latta and the ball rolled outside. Still persevering to add to the score the Anfieldites again took up the attack, and Kirkwood was seen to advantage in a doggy run, and parting to Chadwick, who in turn gave to Milward, the latter scored the second goal. Latta meanwhile attending to Harrison. From midfield the Wanderers made a temporary visit to the home end, and always were successfully repelled by the good defence of the Evertonians. Chadwick and Milward, by a combined dribble, kept peppering away at Harrison, who seemed to keep his wits about him, and it was not long before Roberts had another try for goal, but he found Holt ready to respond by transferring the ball homewards. Bethal Robinson eased, and Cooper skied one over Smalley's head. Even play set in for some time. At length Everton broke away causing Harrison unreadiness, but half-time arrived with the score- Everton 2 goals, Wanderers nil. Geary who had been from the field nearly 20 minutes, now started the second portion, and with a slight advantage the home centre got close in, but Barbour intercepted him, and, quickly dispatching the ball, Smalley was tested by two severe shots from Davenport and Milne. A bit of suspicious play was the means of all but taking effects, as Bob Roberts had to go to the assistance of Harrison to successfully stem a great effort of the home right. After Milne had been penalised for charging Geary a dashing bit of work by the home front only resulted in a free kick, which Doyle put through, but without touching any one on its course. The game continued fast, and Robinson and Doyle did yeoman services for their respective sides, and soon Robert's knee gave way, necessitating him going forward from his half-backs position. With this drawback the Wanderers had to see more on the defensive, and were temporarily successful in staying the pressure, but Harrison at last succumbed to Geary from good tactics from the wings. After this latter point, Farmer, who seemed to be able to measure them, throughout the greater portion of the game, neatly checked the well-known right wing pair of the Wanderers in their dangerous rushes. With one great effort the homesters again invaded Harrison who conceded a fruitless corner, following by another after Latta had experienced anything but good luck in his finsih. Nothing further accrued and a heavy and well-contested game again ended in favour of the home team, this time by 3 goals to nil. Everton have thus won four out of the five League matches played. Teams Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (Captain), and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt, and Farmer, half-backs, Latta, Kirkwood (D), Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wanderers:- Harrison , goals, Robinson, and Jones backs, Bullough, Milne, and Roberts, half-backs, Davenport, Brogan Barbour Turner, and Cooper, forwards. Umpires, Meesrs. R Stockton, and W.Orridge, Referee Mr. Jope (Wednesbury ).

September 30 1889. The Liverpool Courier
These teams met at Aigburth on Saturday before a moderate number of spectators, Gardiner kicked off for Aigburth Vale, and the visitors at once carried the ball up the field, but Tiesley kicked behind. The reserve continued to attack, Nidd kicking wide. A combined rush by the visitors resulted in the ball going behind. The game still continued in Everton's favour, but a nice bit of passing between Usher and Gardiner relieved the pressure. Play was confined for a time in the home territory, but the splendid defence tactics of Mayhall and Peers frustrated the efforts of the visitors. The Reserves now swarmed round the Vale's goal, but Orr shot wide. Good combination was shown by the Everton men, and Hammond passed to Orr, who scored from a low shot, a foul being given against the Reserves Johnson and Weir took, the ball up the field, but Richmond robbed the latter and passing to Orr the Everton van returned to the attack, but Jackson proved himself equal to the emergency, and prevented his opponent from making any addition to their score. The game continued slightly in favour of the Reserves, but the brothers Usher by means of good passing forced a corner, which proved futile. The Everton forwards again pressed, but Tinsley kicked over the bar. Hands being given against Everton resulted in an abortive corner. Even play followed, Gardiner and Usher showed some good combination, but were robbed by Nidd. A stinging shot was now sent in to Joliffe, but the latter fisted out. Gardiner passed to G.Usher but Threlfall rendered their efforts abortive. The Reserves van now showed up well, hands being given against the Vale, but Jackson cleared well. Tinsley however, scored a second goal for the visitors from a pass by Jones. Hands was given in favour of the Vale, but the Everton, not to be denied, re turned to the attack, Hammond shooting wide. Joliffe was now called upon to clear two shots, but a foul against the Vale caused play to return to the home quarters. An opening now presented itself to the Vale forwards, but Wells kicked over the bar. The Everton showed superior combination to that of the home men, and time after time the Vale goal was visited, Jackson however, exhibiting excellent defence. Even play was now the order of the game, and when the whistle blew for half-time the score stood – Everton Reserves 2 goals, Aigburth Vale, 0. Final Result Everton Reserves 3 goals, Aigburth Vale 1 goal.

September 30 1889. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton's contributions to their record this week are a couple of wins, both of them return matches, and so they thus progressed consistently. At present the list shows sight victories out of nine games played or a goal total of 39 to 10. Such a performance has act many parallels just now, and who can say, had not that untoward accident to Weir occurred, that it would not have been even more perfect? But in the day of their prosperity Everton can well afford, the solace of a win to an opponents, obtained when playing with superior numbers. The visit of Everton to Earlestown on Monday was a complimentary rather than a serious affair, and, the issue being a foregone one, and which was 4 goals to 1. Interest centred almost solely in Kirkwood's first appearance in partnership with Latta. On the whole he made a good impression, his speed and command of the ball being manifest, and with praction promised to be a valuable acquisition. For their League engagement with the Bolton Wanderers. Everton were happy in having a strong team to place in the field. Smalley had so far recovered from his bruises as to be enabled to take charge of goal with confidence, and with Parry again stepping into Weir's shoes at half-back, and Kirkwood completing the forwards the eleven was an improvement on that which did so well at Pike-lane a week ago, and with the advantage deprived from playing at home nobody doubted that, Everton would be in front at the Finnish. Still the Wanderers, if not sanguine, were not without hope of receiving the result of the last meeting, for they came with burly Roberts, though this gain was balanced somewhat by the absence of D.Weir, whose place was filled by Cooper. If the weather was not inviting-gusty winds and threatening showers being discouraging in matters of outdoor sport-there was the usual large assemblage, and every part was filled comfortably; but the game proved disappointing, and was never really exciting-tame in fact, in comparison to the last year's League match at Anfield between the same clubs. Everton had wind and sun, to face during the first half, but with the slope thrown in as a set off. The Wanderers started well by clustering round Smalley. First Doyle and then Parry cleared though not without anxiety having been felt, and this opened the way for some fine passing between Kirkwood, Chadwick, and Milward, and after Latta had shot over,Geary took the ball from the left, and scored a spanking goal, when the game was but a few minutes old. Again the Wanderers rallied, but could make no impression on the home defence, and then Everton jumped father ahead this time a shot by Milward. Play slackened down greatly from this point. Geary having in the meantime retired to amend his foot gear. The opening chapter of the second part were also uninteresting, but on Geary scoring the third goal, with a long grounding shot, the visitors roused themselves for a better effort. In the last moments they gave some trouble, but there was no weak spot to be found in Everton's last line and so the Wanderers were forced to accept a double-barreled League defeat at the ordering of their old Everton antagonists. In every department the winners were superior. Smalley had not much to bestir himself about, but he did that little work in his best style. Hannah and Doyle made almost impassable defenders, and Parry confirmed the good opinion formed at Wolverhampton and Bolton of the abilities as a half-back. He kicked well, tackled well, and used his weight well, and kept clear of referee's reproofs. Farmer and Holt were both effective the latter proving a bete noir to Barbour, and the former frequently disconcerting Daveport and Brogan, and spoiling them in any attempt at their usual dashing runs. The home forwards worked well together. Geary was handicapped in his running by faulty boots, but he shot grandly; Milward's centres and shots were fine; and Chadwick, Latta, and Kirkwood joined in nice combinations. The latter was not showy, but had great resource. Harrison, Robinson, Jones, and Roberts were the strong men of Bolton, whilst the forwards could seldom get into line in the face of the home tacklers.