April 1891


April 3 1891. Ther Liverpool Mercury

This charity match was played at Shrewsbury yesterday. Everton started with a strong wind in their favour, and forced the play during the first few minutes, but could not break through the Shropshire defence. Latta obtained a corner, which proved futile Everton scored the first goal from a scrimmage. in 20 minutes, adding another almost immediately. Everton continued to press, but no further points were obtained up to half time, when the score was in favour of Everton by 2 goals to nil.

On resuming Shropshire with the wind in their favour forced the play, for a quarter of an hour, but could not score, owing to grand play of Jardine, and the Everton backs. The Visitors scored, again, and the final result was Everton 3 goals Shopshire nil.


April 3, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

The Everton League team met a Picked team of Shropshire in a match at Shrewsbury. The weather was cold and wet, and there was a comparatively small attendance. In the first half Everton scored two to none, and in the second half Everton again had all their own way, although Shropshire made occasional breakways. Result Everton 3 goals, Shropshire 0


April 4 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier

Whilst the English cupholders have fallen unaccountably to the rear since memorable victory at the Oval, Everton, as becomes the champions of the League, have been carrying all before them, to-day the team is in as genuine condition as it was during the early months of the campaign. There is, however, one incident which cannot be forgotten –the only regrettable feature of a brilliant season –and that is the untoward result which attended the final game at Burnley; but ere the curtain falls it is to be hoped an opportunity will be afforded of redressing, to some extent, that particular disaster. Since that ill-fated day, however, an unbroken series of victories have fallen to the lot of Everton, at a cost of only a couple of goals. Following their easy victory over Vale of Leven, the League champions for the second time this season found themselves pitted against the much-balauded Corthinians, who it will be remembered were beaten at the Oval by three goals to one, and in view of the fact the utmost confidence was prevailed as to the result. Moon was absent, but with Seton in goal the position could not have been better filled, and as on the whole the Corinthians had a fairly representative team, no excuse can be accepted for their defeat. They exhibited some very clever passing, but could never break through, owing to the fine defence of the Everton backs and the smartness of Jardine in goal, who stopped no end of difficult shots. Only one point was scored in the first half, and the Cowie headed through his own goal. True the Evertonians had all their work cut out during the second period of the game, but whilst Jardine kept his charge intact, Seton was called upon to concede a couple more points, and eventually Everton won a most interesting game by three goals to nothing, to the manifest delight of the supporters of the now famous Anfield-road team. With the tide of success again in full flow, a couple of days later West Bromwich Albion were at the Anfield-road enclosure, and being Bank Holiday the attendance assumed colossal proportions, ten thousand persons or more being stowed away within the capacious enclosure. A couple of changes were made in the Everton team, Angus and Brady now doing duty for Jardine and Chadwick. The “Throstles” be it remembered, were the first team to effect the overthrow of Everton in the championship games, and that, too, at the self-same enclosure; hence the large amount of interest-evinced in this, the final meeting of the teams. The play befitted the occasion, for West Bromwich played a magnificent game, and throughout the first half the defence of the homesters was tested to the utmost. Geary and Groves, however, scored for their respective sides, so that when the interval was reached the teams were on perfectly even terms. Afterwards the Evertonians had much the best of the game, Reader in goal being heavily pressed, but although shots poured in rapidly one took effect, and the champions won the last of their holiday engagements by two to one. Despite the heavy labours of Eastertide, Everton went out Shropshire way on a charitable mission, and in bleak winterly weather won an uninteresting game against a county team by three goals to nil. Since the 14 th of March six games have been won off the reel, and the value of the performance will be realised on perusing the following results: -

Everton 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Everton 2 Ardwick 1

Everton 3 Vale of Leven 0

Everton 3 Corthinians 0

Everton 2 West Bromwich Albion 1

Everton 3 Shropshire 0

Total 14 Total 2

At Anfield today Everton will be opposed by Notts County, runners-up for the English Cup, and later in the month by Blackburn Rovers, the holders of the trophy and needless to say these games will excite more than ordinary interest.

On Monday the Everton Reserve team made the journey to Bangor, and as both sides played their full strength, the game was well worth witnessing. One goal each was scored up to the interval, and Everton finally won by two goals to one.


The Liverpool Football Echo.

The Everton players enjoyed their visit on Thursday to Proud Salopia; they say they would very much like to play a match there at least once a week. Such a testimonial as this speaks volumes for the hospitality found at Shrewsbury. But Salopians were always famed for their good cheer-Salopians were always famed for their good cheer. Unfortunately the weather was bad, and the object of the visit –to benefit the local charities –was not a great success. Next Saturday Everton League will be opposing Bootle at Hawthorn-road –a kind of “Preliminary “ prior to the cup battle; at the same time. Halliwell will be having a bout with the Everton team at Anfield. Query: which is the Everton “league” team? Moral: self-first, and your neighbours after. Quite justified, Everton. You have the greatest responsibility to bear.



April 6 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met in a friendly game on Saturday, at Anfield and owing to a large following of the Everton club bring away at Blackburn scoring the ‘'Locals'' thrashing the Thistle there were no more than 6,000 spectators lineing the ropes of the Oakfield road ground. The visitors were three short of their ordinary team while Everton underwent big changes, and were without the valuable services of Hannah, Holt, Kirkwood, Geary, Milward, and Chadwick Turner (Welsh international) was found a place as centre forward in the home ranks. There was a strong wind blowing but the ground was again in good order. The following were the teams: - Everton:- Jardine, goal, McLean, and Doyle, backs, Hammond, Campbell and Lochhead, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Turner, McMillan, and Elliott forwards. Notts County: - Thraves goal, Ferguson, and Hendry, backs, Osborne, Wilkinson, and Calderwood, half-backs, Lyle, Oswald, Locker, and Daft, forwards . Losing the toss, Turner started for Everton against the hill. The homesters were the first to attack was some nice short passing on the right. Thraves however, relieved, and than Notts sped along, McInnes winding up some fine play with a shot which hit the crossbar and went over. After this let off Everton exeted themselves, and Latta who had thus early taken the measure of Hendry by waltzing round him narrowly escaped lowering the Notts colours three times. Doyle and Mclean, with strong play kept their side on the attack, with the consequence that Toone was put on the alert. After Elliott had tipped the crossbar, and Brady had skied, Ferguson conceded a barren corner. Turner had a shot in goal cleared, and then Latta, from a centre by McMillan beat Thraves, but the point was disallowed for offside. Hammond let in Daft and Locker and McInnes ought to have scored from a centre by the former. Hands to Everton nearly proved fatal to Notts. As a fairly placed kick by Doyle was cleared with some difficulty. Daft being pulled up by Doyle, Turner sped along and crossed to Latta, who, however, shot wide. Play was stopped for a few minutes, and then Brady getting the leather from McLean, nearly scored, while at the other end Oswald sent over. Doyle worked through and forced the pace, but Turner was again at fault. Jardine running out and steering from Oswald, Latta got possession from mid line, and beating Caldwerhead and Hendry in a masterly manner, finished up a piece of sterling play with a splendid shot. This achievement was hailed with loud cheers. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Notts nil.

Restarting, Oswald kicked off, and Lochhead had soon to pull up McInnes, Turner having a shot into Thraves the Notts van forged ahead, and not only had they a fruitless corner, but Jardine had to fist out a flying shot from Locker. Lochhead again took up the combination of the visitors, but Turner put too much force behind the ball, Latta and Hendry got together in a strong tussle and both were knocked to the ground by the force of their meeting. Hammond beating Daft, sent well in, but another aimless point only accrued. Elliott again failed in his shooting for goal. The Notts front divison got in line, and owing to both Doyle and McLean falling, Jardine had to save from Oswald. The visitors now had a lot of the game, and kept for sometime in the home quarters, but nothing better than a couple of corners tell to their lot. As often as McInnes and Lyle made invarsions, Doyle repelled them, and then Latta, Brady and Turner worked well in, McInnes shaving the upright with his finish a similar thing being done twice by Turner. Everton now hemmed in the Lacemen, and shots were frequently sent in to Toone. A free kick to Everton gave ease to the visitors, and but for some good defence by Doyle the teams would have got on even terms. Everton swarmed in front of Toone, and nothing but bad luck enabled the score to remain. Rain now came down rather fast, and interfered greatly with play, and it was a relief to the spectators when the referee blew his whistle, the game ending in the following manner: Everton 1 goal Notts County nil.

It was not expected that the contest between the English Cup runners up and Everton would excite more than ordinary interest, seeing that both teams were considering below their actual strength, and the margin of a goal to nothing fairly represents the match from start to finish. Both goalkeepers had plenty to do in defending their charge, and Thraves's abilities as a custodian need not to be despised as Latta's goal was got in such a masterly style that it would have beaten any goalkeeper. No scoring was done in the second half, in preventing which the relative defence were responsible. Neither team continued well in its attack, although Brady and Latta at times were seen in the best form. Turner in centre, after he has got over his nervoness will be a good substitute in case of emergency. Lockhead and Campbell were ever on the alert, and often stopped the visitors from getting into their accustomed strides. Doyle was again in form. He never made a mistake, although he had more than his own work to do, and received the plaudits of the spectators for his timely kicking and heading in close quarters. McLean also shaped well. the visitors, all round played rather doggedly, and often came within scoring. But their shooting was not so precise as we have seen it. This evening Preston North End will visit Everton.

Meanwhile, Holt, Geary, Chadwick and Milward played for England against Scotland at Blackburn in front of 10,000 spectators, England winning by 2 goals to 1, Chadwick scoring England second goal, in the first half.



April 6 th !891. The Liverpool Courier.

England beat Scotland by two goals to one at Ewood Park, Blackburn, Milward, Holt, Geary and Chadwick, played for England, Chadwick scored one goal.


April 6, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

Neither of these great clubs put its full strength into the field of Liverpool, and the interest of the match naturally suffered. The result was a victory for Everton by one goal to nil. The winners missing many chances in the second half, while Notts more than once had bad luck.



April 7, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Liverpool. Preston started the play, and the game was grandly contested, but Everton had hard lines. Some exciting play ensued in front of the Preston goal. Chadwick scored from a corner kick, and from a grand centre by Milward, Elliott added a second point. At the interval Everton were leading by two goals to nil. The game was exciting afterwards, Stewart heading through for Preston. Each side had a goal disallowed. Result Everton 2, Preston North End 1.



April 7 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

A visit of the ex-League champions is always looked forward to by football enthusiasm at Anfield, and last night proved no exception to the general run, as they would be quite 7000 spectators around the ropes, when the start was made. Owing to the very heavy rain, which lay fallen during the early part of the day, the ground was of the soft order. Preston came with their full strength, while Everton were short of Holt, Geary, and Brady, whose places were filled by Campbell, Elliott, and Gordon respectively. The following composed the teams: - Everton: - Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, McLean, Campbell and Lockhead, halfbacks, Latta, Gordon, Elliott, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Ross (captain), backs, Kelso, Drummond, and Stewart, halfbacks, McKenna, Ross, Raeside, Crossan, and Gallacher, forwards.

Losing the toss, Raeside started towards the Anfields road end, against a slight wind. Lockhead was soon to the front by robbing Gallacher and sending over to Latta who caused Ross to kick out. From the throw in Chadwick had the best of the tussle with Drummond, and passing to Milward. Holmes was called upon to relieve. Doyle drove the leather well in front, and some real good combination among the home forwards resulted in Milward striking the upright with a hugh shot. A corner to Everton was safely got away, but a foul for hands against then around Trainor the ball being well place by Doyle. In the scrimmage Drummond got hold, and giving to young Ross the famous tight winger went along with rare dash, until Doyle spoiled his effort. McLean now averted danger by heading out very cleverly. Everton again came away, with combined force causing the visitors defence much trouble which, only passed when Milward went over the bar. Jardine was next called upon to steer a warm attempt by Raeside, which he did very satisfactorily. The Everton left wing were now conspicuous by some sterling play, which was the means of bring ‘'Nick'' Ross to the assistance of Trainor. After a temporary visit to Jardine Elliott started a fine concerted movement among the home van, and parting to Latta, the Dumbarton man made Ross concede a corner, which, however, proved fruitless. The visitors were the next to show up, and from a smart run by Gallacher. Ross hit the crossbar, and from the rebound McKenna gave Jardine a warm handful. Play now ensued in Midfield where Chadwick beat Kelso and crossing to Gordon the latter missed a splendid chance to score. Good tackling by the back halves kept them on the aggressive. When McLean eased pressure by lobbing high over the bar. Coming again the Everton men, ably led by Chadwick and Milward, brushed aside all opposition and forcing a corner from Holmes, which Milward kicked right into Trainor's hands the well known custodian swept the ball right into his own goal, thus scoring the first point for Everton. From the midfield kick the Anfielders were again on the attack and from a foul against Stewart, Doyle sent the leather slightly wide of the mark. Latta and Gordon were now cheered as they made rings round the old warrior of Ross, and the former tipping to Elliott, he in turn crossed to Milward, who screwed a magnificent shot right into goal, which was beautifully met and headed through by Elliott amidst great cheering. The game nearing the interval was or a hard and fast description, but no further points were added. Everton them crossing over with the score 2 goals in their favour. Restarting, the Prestonians tried hard to make headway through the opposing defence but Lockhead, Campbell and McLean proved a great barrier, their tackling as well as that of Hannah and Doyle, being all that could be desired. From a throw in Gordon and Latta were seen to great advantage on the right, and after an encounter with Ross and Stewart the latter beat Trainor with a third point, which, however was not allowed for offside. The North Enders from this stage pulled themselves together and called upon Doyle and Hannah to avert danger time after time. A corner however resulted in their favour, which was headed away rather luckily by Hannah. Not to be denied the visitors right continued to harass Doyle, and from some injudicious tactics by the Everton back Ross was given a free kick, which the accurately placed to Crossan who beat Jardine with a header, thus scoring the first goal for his side. Latta now rushed along the ball and Gordon and Milward sent in a beauty to Trainor, which he steered miraculously over the bar. Grand midfield play by both sides was the next special feature of the match, which finished up by Raeside, beating Jardine with a high shot from an offside position. Drummond now raised the fire of the onlookers as he recklessly tripped Elliott for which act he was custioned by the referee. A grand shot by N.Ross all but scored it being only a few inches wide of the mark, the net in this case showing its usefulness as to many the ball seemed to sail through. From, now to the endplay was of a gave and take nature, and much too vigorous to be pleasing either to players or spectators. Before the call of time both ends were in turn visited, but no further points were scored, the game which from the start to finish was well contested, thus resulting in a victory for the League champions by 2 goals to nil.



Played on April 8 1891.

No match details.



April 9 1891. The Belfast News Letter.

The match between these teams was played last evening at the Ulster grounds, Ballynafeigh. The ground was in splendid condition, and the weather being very favourble there was a large attendance. At about six o'clock the teams took their position on the field. Geary kick off for Everton, and the visitors went to their work at one. The Ulster territory was invaded, and a hand was given against Everton, after which the ball was carried towards the home goal. The Ulster division, however, played well, and in a minute their territory was quite safe, the leather being taken into the Everton ground. Here it was permitted to remain only a moment, when the front division got possession and sent in a dangerous shot, which Clogston returned in splendid style, only a moment later he was called upon to repeat this feat, and the ball was carried rapidly to the Everton goal, where some, hot play ensued, the ball finally going through, though the whistle had been sounded for off-side. The goal was, therefore disallowed. Some skirmishing in centre forward, and the visitors invaded the home territory where Clugston had a goal kick, and the Ulster back division. Getting upon the ball, made a good run only to lose possession. Some nice passing was indulged in by the Evertons, but when in front of the home goal, they missed a splendid opportunity for scoring. McIivenny and Torrans had a good run, and took the ball clear of their stronghold, but when nearing the Everton goal it went over the line. The Everton forwards then took it up, and ran with great rapidity towards the Ulster goal, where however, Gordon and Flannelly were twice successful in returning it. Play was far a time confined to midfield and McLlvwenny after a good run was spoiled by Brady and Latta, and the ball being turned was borne rapidly towards the Ulster goal, where Chadwick very quickly put it through, securing the first goal for Everton. Upon the kick off Ulster played with great spirit, and surrounded the Everton goal. McCabe did his best to shoot, but was prevent by the good defence of the visitors play for a time was confined to centre, but gradually Everton work it upon their opponents, and Chadwick had another splendid shot, which narrowly missed scoring. McIlvenny then got possession, and made a brilliant run, carrying the ball right down to the Everton goal. Here, however, it was take by the back division and returned to Ulster territory. Stanfield and Tierney had a short run, but the ball got behind the touch line. No further play of interest took place until the visitors with a rush invaded the home territory, and Chadwick in fine style secured a second goal. On the kick-off, Everton displayed some splendid passing and gave evidence of the great power of combination, an essential to good play in which the home team seemed remarkably deficient. Cunningham had a good kick, and sent the leather well into the visitors' territory where, however, it was permitted to remain only a few moments when it was given to the forwards and carried to neutral ground. Not to be denied, however, Ulster again invaded, and Tiernay shot for goal, but was not successful. The leather was returned to centre, and for some time give-and-take play was indulged in Latta and Brady had a shot run, but was spoiled by McIlvenny, who took the latter and went for the Everton goal. The back division of the visitors, however, thwarted him, and seat the ball back into the Ulster ground, where after some hard play, it went behind the goal line. On the kick out the right division of the Ulster took it up, and ran for their opponents' goal where Reynolds put it through. This was disputed, but was finally allowed amidst great enthusiasm. McCabe had a good run, and shot for goal, but Jardine caught the leaders splendidly, and soon returned it. A moment later a corner was given against Everton with the result that it produced a second corner kick, which was fruitless. Some very warm work followed in the visitors territory, but no further goals were scored in the first half. At half-time the scored stood Everton two goals; Ulster one.

Upon play being resumed McCabbe kick off, and the home team showed some nice passing play, but shortly lost possession of the ball, which was taken by the forward division of the Evertons, and carried to the Ulster goal. After a short struggle, the home team set to work, and with the efforts of the back division cleared their territory. The Everton ground was again evaded, and a shot was tried for goal, which went too high. The ball was at once returned to centre, where for some time give-and-take play was in dulge in. Ultimately McIlvenny got a brilliant run, and passed to Sam Torrans, who, amid great excitement shot the second goal for Ulster, and thus equalised the score. Some splendid passing and dodging was indulged in by Ulster team, and Jardine was obliged to run out from goal and catch the ball. No sooner, however, was it kicked away, then Jardine in a most reckless manner left his goal to kick it. Fortune was in his favour. But for some time afterwards his charge was stronger cannonaded, the home team playing with remarkable determination had they been a little cooler they would once or twice infallibly have scored. Finally the visitors secured the ball, and their back division ran with it into the Ulster territory, where it went out of touch. Finally Sam Torrans got possession, and returned it into neutral ground. The Ulster goal was more surrounded, and a shot was taken, but the ball went very high, and passed above the goalpost. A good deal of give-and-taken play was indulged in, after which the home team made a fresh attack upon the visitors' forwards took the ball once more into the home ground, but Tierney made a splendid run, and looked like doing business, when he was stopped by Campbell and Lochhead. Several good shots were sent in upon the visitor's goal, but Jardine managed to return them, and preserve his charge Clugston a moment later was called upon to fist out a ball, and afterwards a corner was given from which Everton got their third goal. The attack was knowed by Everton, and Clugston. Was obliged to catch and fist out the ball. The home goal was then surround, and before many minutes' a fourth goal was scored by the visitors. Darkness was now setting in, and football became almost impossible to follow the game. Closely, play however, was confined to the neighborhood of the home goal until the Ulster forwards getting possession, the left wing made a good run and cleared their territory only to see it again invaded by the Everton. After this, however, there was no play of a brilliant character, and time was called without an increase to the scores already made, which, therefore stood. Ulster 2 Everton 4. The teams were as follows: - Everton- Jardine goal; Hannah (captain) and Doyle backs; Mclean, Campbell, and Lochead, half-backs; Latte, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward. Ulster: - Clogston, goal; Forbes Gordon, backs; Cunningham, Reynold and Flannelly half-backs; McIlvenny, Torrans, McCabe, Stanfield, and Tierney, forwards.



April 11 1891. The Wrexham Advertiser

This match in aid of the local charities was played at Shrewsbury, on the second inst. –Everton led by two goals to nil at half-time and adding another in the second half won by three goals to nil. The following were the teams: - Everton: - Jardine goal; Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs; Mclean, Campbell, and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, McMillan, W.H. Turner, Wylle, and Elliott, forwards. Shrosphire: - Evans (St. George's) goal; J. Davies (Shreswbury Town), and G. Swift (St. George's and Crewe Alexandra), half-backs; Littlehales, (Ironbridge), H. Pearson (Shrewsbury) and J. Roach (Oswestry). A. Davies (Shresbury), J. Butler (Chirk and Oswestry), Finxton (St. George), O'Blythe (Newport), S Morris (St. George), forwards. Referee Mr. J. Taylor (Welsh Football Association).

• On Monday afternoon the G.W.R. Co will run a trip, leaving Wrexham at 1.40, to Liverpool to enable visitors to witness the football match Queen's Park, Glasgow against Everton.


April 11 1891. The Liverpool Football Echo

The attendance on the Anfield-road ground this afternoon when Halliwell were the visitors, was very meagre, and was without doubt the smallest which has assembled on the Everton ground this season. Halliwell turned up with only ten men. A start was not made until 4.15, when Lawson commenced operations by kicking off. Godwin and McMillan were the first to show up, racing away down the left, and forcing a corner, which however, yielded no advantage. Bentley next rattled down the field, Martin bringing him up splendidly. McMillan had as unsuccessful shot, and after lot of exchanges in midfield, Robertosn got beauty past Woods, who has no chance whatever of getting at the ball. The visitors were rather handicapped with having to play only four forwards, and consequently Everton were repeatedly attacking Wood's charge, but all to no purpose. A Whitehead eventually gave relief, and Bentley raced up the left, crossing over to Lawson, and the latter easily evading Dobson, scored a very soft goal. The good fortune infused some spirit into the visitors, and after Robertson had almost scored again for Everton. Bentley got one past Angus, but offside was successfully appealed for by the Evertonians. Wyllie was next notable, and with a fine low shot, compelled Wood to concede a corner, which proved futile. Gordon and Wyllie indulged in a converted movement down the right, and Jones brought up Lawson beautifully and sending across to the left, Gordon forced another corner, a further one a moment later, both of which, however, were successfully cleared. Hallwell were not fully represented Howarth, who had missed his train coming to the aid of his comrades. The game was very evenly contested for some time, about midfield, and then Everton pressed vigorously, but the defence of Derbyshire and A. Whithead was of the earnest satisfactory character and although several shots were sent in, they were all successfully negotiated. Houghton and Howarth raced down the right, and looked like scoring, but Cresswell going to Dobson's assistance, the danger was averted, and Everton were back again at the other end, Jones centred beautifully, but McGregor failed to get sufficient force headed the ball, and Wood threw away. The pressure of the homesters was however, still continued Jones and Robertson being particularly conspicuous. Try as they would, however, the salmons could not penetrate the defence of the visitors, which was of a very high order. Robertson took a free kick and sent well into the goalmouth, but McMillan close in failed to get at the ball. Shots kept showering in on Wood, who was equal to every emergency and gave a perfect display of goalkeeping. Gordon had the goal at his mercy, but much to the amusement of the crowd, sent over the bar. Wyllie however, a moment later, got possession, and this time, with a well directed low shot, made no mistake thus registering No. 2, and shortly afterwards the same player added a third. Half-time result Everton 3 goals, Hallwell 1. McGregor restarted, and after even exchanges a foul was conceded to Hallwell a few yards from goal, from which Houghton scored. Everton then raced away down the field and after McGregor and McMillan had each had shots, Martin struck the crossbar with a terrific shot. Bentley, who had throughout displayed good form, caused Dobson some unsealness, and then McGregor raced off splendidly, transferred to Gordon and the latter sent across to Wyllie who with a magnificent screw shot scored a grand goal, thus making his third contribution. Everton were displaying decidedly the best football, their tactics being altogether superior to those shown by the visitors, whose custodian however, continued to show fine form. McMillan struck the post at the corner, and than the home left gave a turn of pressing, and the inside again shot in, but without effect. Bentley and Ashberry went splendidly down the right, and with Lawson caused the home defence to be on the alert, and Dobson cleared. The visiting right again called forth applause or a fine shot, but a goal kick was the only result, and Everton once more became the aggressive. Final Result Everton 7, Hallwell 2. Teams: - Everton: - Angis, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, R. Jones, and Robertson, half-backs, Wyllie, Gordon, McGregor, McMillan, and Godwin, forwards. Hallwell, goal, Wood, goal, Derbyshire, and A. Whitehouse, backs, McDougal, J. Whitehead, and Schofield, half-backs, Houghton, Haworth, Lawson, Ashberry, and Bentley, forwards.



April 11 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.

The visit of the English Cup finalists to the Anfield-road enclosure did not arouse an appreciable amount of interest, but no doubt the international game at Blackburn enticed a large number of people away. The again, Holt, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward were gaining higher fame, and the Everton team was of course somewhat disorganised. Neither were Notts fairly represented, McGergor, Mclean, and Shelton being away, the latter of whom was assisting England against the Scots. Everton played Turner, a Welsh international forward, at centre, but Geary is a difficult position to fill, and he did not give general satisfaction, after a while he did fairly well. The teams had met twice previously, Notts winning at Trent Bridge by three goals to one, whilst the tables were turned at Anfield by four to two. The opening play was in favour of Everton, but although Latta shot through the point was not allowed. But the Everton right winger, who seems now to be playing as well as ever, soon afterwards had his revenge by scoring a magnificent and unmistakable goal. This was the state of the game at half-time, and afterwards play ruled very even. The shooting of the home forwards was somewhat erratic, and as no further points were scored, Everton were left winners by one goal to nil. On Monday the greatest of Everton's League rivals paid a visit to Anfield, and as the Prestonians had twice beaten Everton in the League games, the event aroused a considerable amount of interest. North End brought their full strength whilst Everton were without Holt and Geary, whose places were filled by Elliott and Mclean. The game was tremendously fast from the start, and the utmost excitement prevailed throughout. Consequently the play was rough at times, the Prestonians being mostly to blame. Drummond came in for a considerable amount of hooting, owing to an unsportmanlike charge on Elliott, whilst Gordon got a coloured eye, and Chadwick, after playing a most brilliant game had the misfortune to receive a nasty kick in the mouth. Still, on the play, the Prestonians were fairly beaten, by two goals to one, and it was only by a slice of luck that they scored at all. Simultaneously at Belfast and at Anfield, on Wednesday, the forces of Everton gained further victories. Ulster being beaten by four to two, whilst at home the aspiring Kirkdale team was beaten by five goals to nothing. Following up last week's record, the Evertonians have from the 18 th of March to the 8 th of April won nine first-class matches and scored 21 goals to 5, without suffering a single defeat. Surely this is champion form? And, now, only one word in reference to the International match, and that is to congratulate the Everton boys on their success, and Milward in paricular, whose claims have been persistently urged in these columns, even before his translation from the second to the champion team. Everton owes much to the foresight and generous action of Mr. Stockton in this matter, and pray don't forget it.


Liverpool Football Echo.

It will be particularly interesting to Liverpoolians to know that the Everton section of the England team quite came up to expectations, and it was in great measure due to their fine combined efforts that England owes her victory. Holt has seldom been seen to better advantage, and the judicious manner in which he fed his forwards, and at the same time tricked the opposing advance guard, was simply marvelous, and the little man was generally voted to the smartest centre half who has yet “fought for the country.” Milward and Chadwick executed some magnificent wing work, and several times left Begbie (of whom great things were expected) literally standing still. Geary as centre played a cool and scientific game, and whatever claims Southworth might have possessed it is certain that he could not have improved upon the Everton man, who exercised excellent judgement and tact in supplying his wings, and those who anticipated witnessing an independent centre display must have been woefully disappointed.

Latta and Hendry had many a tussle last Saturday, and we were glad to notice that the popular Evertonian generally came out best. Elliott and McMillan played exceptionally well on the left; indeed, Milward and Chadwick were but little missed. Turner, the Welsh International, played a fair game, but his shooting was weak. He will make a player with a bit of coaching. Jimmy Oswald did not shine much, Watty Campbell being continually on his track. Harry Daft found the other Harry –we mean Hammond –a “tartar,” and consequently Mr. Daft was a bit off colour. Hammond has proved himself a very useful player while a connected with Everton, and everyone will join us in wishing him prosperity in Sheffield United. Didn't Dan Doyle play a grand game? His kicking was immense. Dan was Skipper. Had the fact anything to do with his display. Preston North End came on Monday fully determined if possible to give the Everton boys a beating, but a disappointment awaited them. The North Enders were only wanting, Gordon while Everton were minus Holt and Geary, and Brady. By the by, we noticed Jack Gordon looking well, after his severe illness, and he thinks of starting today. The game was very rough one, the North End men being particularly so, especially Drummond. He once brought Elliott down in a very cruel manner, for which he was loudly hooted. Jimmy Ross was another offender, while Nick was none too gentle. Jimmy Ross put in a great amount of work, but might have been effective had he kept his position. But what about the goal North End got? They were lucky, and must thank Doyle for it. Dan, you had no business to try and show off with the ball against a player of the caliber of young Ross. You should have cleared. However, we will let you off this time, but don't do it again. Now a word about some of the spectators. Their behavior was none of the best. To urge men on to hurt others is very improper. And we were sorry to see that one or two of the North Enders had to be guarded after the match. Admitting that North End played roughly, this is no justification to try and maltreat players. It is not often Everton spectators have to be called over the coals, and we hope it will be a long time before a similar occurrence is witnessed like the one which took place last Monday night. The Everton boys fairly enjoyed themselves at Belfast. On the passage over Jardine was very sick, and it was most amusing to hear Davy exclaiming, “Why did I leave Liverpool?” I'll give the captain a sovereign to stop the boat.” But on landing he soon recovered, when he saw his “love” awaiting him on the quay. Dainty Davy also made his comrades smile when he throw his arms around –Needless to say Davy did not journey back with the other players.



April 13 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

A match between these local rivals can always be reckoned to excite the liveliest interest, and Saturday when the teams met on the Hawthorn road ground, the occasion proved no exception. The clubs have met twice this season on the Anfield ground both battles resulting in a 1 point victory for the League champions. It was there fore generally hoped among the Bootle supporters that when their ‘'pets'' got the Evertonians upon the Hawthorn road enclosure they would reverse matters. Every arrangement had been made by the Bootle executive to cater for a tremendous crowd of spectators and although we have been more in times gone by yet the turnout on Saturday, was no doubt up to exceptions, as there would be over 10,000 assembled. On the stand were the Mayor and Mayoness of Bootle along with a few members of the corporation. The ground was in splendid condition for a correct game, and the weather was all that could be desired. Both sides whipped up their strongest clever with one exception, that being Geary (of Everton), whose place was filled by Hammond. The teams were composed of the following: - Bootle: - Dunning, goal, Lambert, and Cain, backs, Grierson, Hughes (w), and Dodd, half-backs, Platt, Kilner, Hughes (p), Jamieson, and Hasting, forwards. Everton: - Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Mclean, Holt, and Lockhead, halfbacks, Latta, Brady, Hammond, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Bootle won the spin, and took up the quarters in the pavilion end of the ground. Hammond started for the visitors and Hughes neatly robbing, the Bootle right-winger worked down when Doyle cleared and pass forward to McLean. Latta and Brady got on the ball, and came away with rare dash along the line. Cain was beaten, and Dunning was called upon by Brady to fist away a high shot, which Hammond met and put outside. After ‘'Hands'' had been given to both sides, the visitors were conspicuous by some pretty combination which landed them again in front of Dunning where Lambert put in a strong lob, which Jamieson and Hasting took up the field, only however, to be foiled by Holt, who gave to Hammond a chance to shoot at goal but his attempt was to wide. The play of the halves on both sides was now of the best description, which of course was the means of keeping play in midfield. Latta and Brady receiving a timely pass from McLean the leather was taken well along the line. The former centred accurately, but Grierson was found in the way, as he cleverly headed out. Coming again the League champions showed nice tactics, and after some headplay, had taken place by their forwards, Hammond received a cross from Latta, and beat Dunning with a rather easy shot. From the midfield kick Milward and Chadwick cheered Holt for trickiness as he upset the calculation of Hughes and Jamieson, and Lambert was again hard at work repulsing a strong attack. ‘'hands'' against the visitors, however, eased the pressure. Hannah next stopped the progess of Hasting and Jamieson, and the Evertonians were again on the aggressive. Brady attempting to score with a grounder, which Lambert steered into midfield. Grierson was working hard and on more than one occasion proved a thorn in the sides of the Everton left wing. From a foul against Daft, Chadwick and Brady both tested Dunning, and then the ball was given to the home left by Cain and Hasting getting round McLean, passed across to P.Hughes who took the first shy at Jardine, which was slightly wide of the mark. This was followed by another attempt of the Bootle van to get through, and Jardine narrowly escaped being beaten. Doyle in the nick of time, making a clearance in the goalmouth. Holt now initiated a grand combined run by the visitors who, from the centre of the field worked their way towards Dunning by sharp short passing, and as Hammond was about to let drive, Cain rushed up and cleared. Latta and Brady were again the means of causing Dunning to threw out a couple of stringers from Hammond and Chadwick, which he did to the satisfaction of the onlookers. Lambert was now penalised for ‘'shady'' work? Towards Milward, but a free kick taken by Doyle was too strong. Everton were playing by far the superior game, as it was really the Bootle forwards could get away from their own quarters, their backs and halves having all their work cut out by the strenuous onslaught of their opponents. Rattling along on the right the Evertonians came down upon Dunning in full force, and close in goal Cain only temporality cleared and McLean sent in a scorcher to the Bootle custodian to deal with. A cheer went up as he got it away, but Hammond caught on the ball, and tipped to Brady, who sent in a hugh puzzling shot which gave the home goalkeeper a surprising downfall, as he had fully expected it to over the bar. Milward now put in a spirited run down on the left, and encountering, Lambert a warm tussle ensued the ball however, ended the affray as it rush out close to the upright. From the goal kick, Elliott was twice pulled up by the referee for foul charging and both free kicks were safely got away by Cain. The game was now fast and exciting and from some good combination by the Bootle men. Hughes justed missed scoring with a fine shot. From now to the interval hostilities took place in midfield. W.Hughes being most conspicuous by some fine halfback play. Crossing over with 2 goals in hand, the Andfielders were the first to show up. When Dodd beat Brady returned the leather well forward. Racing away on the left, Milward tried a screw shot from the one, which went out behind Dinning, Latta and Cain now got at loggerheads for which, Everton had a free kick close in, but this came to nothing. Kilner and W.Hughes checked a fine movement on the Everton left, and parting over to Hasting, that player sprinted through the opposing halves, but was unceremoniously sent back by Hannah, when a curious decision Mr. Roberts against Latta brought the right winger, to standstill. From a throw up the Bootle forwards got into line and passing and repassing across the field with great precisance, travelled towards Jardine when a miskick by Platta shattered their well meant effort. Holt next lobbed to Latta, who beat Dodd, and caused him to concede a futile corner. Bootle were showing the better form, and the Everton goal was for a moment in jeopardy, when Platt sent flying over the bar. This was followed by a similar attempt from the foot of Milward. After another temporary visit to Dunning by Everton, Jardine was lucky to save a grand shot from P.Hughes. Not to be denied the Bootle men kept up the pressure, and Doyle had to give a couple of course from one of which, Jardine had to run out to clear his charge W.Hughes next intercepted Chadwick and putting over to Hasting the latter gave Jamieson a grand opening which he failed to take advance of. Cain next shattered a smart piece of combination by the visitors. With Great Spirit the homesters surrounded Jardine's charge, and were most unlucky in not scoring on there occasions. The Bootle halves were putting in all they knew, and kept their skilled opponents in their own quarters. From a corner the Bootle men kept up the attack, and after a lively scrimmage, had taken place in front of Jardine. Hasting rushed the leather through, thus scoring the first and only point for his side, amidst tremendous cheering among the Bootleres. The homesters tried hard to add another but on the call off time no further score had taken placed. Everton thus gaining another victory by 2 goals to 1. Everton were without doubt decidedly lucky to match another victory against Bootle on Saturday for although they had by far the most of the play in first half of the game, the same must be said of Bootle in the second portion, and had the latter had the same slice of luck which, fell to the Anfielders the victory might have been the other way about. Dunning might have saved both of the goals which, he allowed to pass him, though we must confess the second one was a thorough puzzler, and no doubt would deceive any custom an nice times out of ten. Cain and Lamberts at back did some excellent work especially in the first portion of the match. Cain being the better of the two. Hughes and Grierson played a grand game at halfback young Dodd on this occasion not being so effective as he was when the teams played at Anfield. P.Hughes Hasting and Kilner were the pack of the front division, although Jamieson at times put in some fine touches, while Platt considerably marred good openings by his vigorous play. For Everton Jardine held his charges with credit, and saved some sting shots, while Doyle was superior to Hannah the old Rentonians being weak in his kicks. Holt was more conspicuous than either Lockhead or Mclean, but the trio nevertheless kept the Bootle forwards well at bay. Forwards, Everton played a great game before the interval, the right wing being the stronger. Hammond in centre lacked the finish and control with the ball, which Geary possesses. With this narrow win the contest for the local cup remains such more than generally anticipated. This evening the famous Queen's Park team visits the enclosure, and this is anticipated.


April 13, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Bootle. Everton scored in five minutes, and had almost all the play up the interval, but could only put on another point. In the second half Bootle asserted themselves, and showed up considerably better. The Everton defence, however, could not be beaten until just on time, although the visitors had several narrow escapes. Bootle were pressing at the finish. Result Everton two goals, Bootle 1 goal.



April 14, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Liverpool. Play was tremendously fast and exciting, both goals having some narrow escapes. Everton had hard lines, but Arnott and Smellie defended grandly, and up to the interval no points had be scored. On resuming Chadwick scored for Everton, Hamilton equalising. Play was exciting, both teams striving hard for the winning points. Result; a draw one goal each.



April 14 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

A visit from the famous Scotch combination had long been desired among the football enthusicaic of Anfield, and the Everton executive, with their usual keen eve to business have no more than one occasion made overturns to the Glasgow club to bring this into effect. It was therefore with much gratification that the large concourse of spectators welcomed the visitors to the Everton enclosure last evening. Long before the time for starting a large crowd of people could be seen wending their way to Oakfield road while down town at the Exchange the rush for buses was quite phenomenal. The ground was in first class condition, and presented a very animated appearance while well known football enthusiast from around the district took up the stands. The visitors were the first to enter the enclosure, and were received by the 12,000 spectators in a right hearty fashion, which was endorsed to the home eleven as they followed a minute after. The ‘'Queen's ‘'team was much altered from that originally selected, while Everton had there full strength. The sides were composed of the following: - Everton: - Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, McLean, Holt, and Lochhead, halfbacks, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Quuen's Park: - Baird, goal, Arnott, and Smellie, backs, Gillespie, Jones, and Robertson, halfbacks, Gulliland, Berry, Hamilton, Waddell, and Sellar forwards. Losing the toss, Hamilton set the leather in motion by placing over to his left, and Waddell getting away at once caused Hannah to concede a corner, which, being well placed by Sellar, Jardine had to fist out to avert danger. Chadwick and Milward by splendid play were the first to enter the scots quarters when Arnott came to the fore by a tremous kick well up the field. Doyle staved off Hands against the homesters, only, however to and at the foot of Sellar, who eased pressure by shooting wide. This was followed with a spirited run on the home left, but Milward also finished up with a wide attempt. Arnott made a grand kick from the goalmouth, and the Anfielders settling on the ball worked down to Baird, where a short fusilade took place, upon that custodian, until Geary sent in a flyer on the wrong side. The play was now of the best description, being really a treat to witness, owing to the sharp work of the forwards ranks, as well as the sterling defence of both teams. After another corner had been granted to the visitors Geary put in a swift run in the centre, and tried a low shot to no effect, and then Chadwick sent in finely, when Smellie rushed up, and cleared. The Everton men continued to hold the upperhand, and at this stage were testing the abilities of the Scotch international backs, but Arnott and Smellie proved themselves a grand pair, with clean and accurate kicking. Latta and Brady gave H.Jones an anxious moment as they worked their way down on the right, and cleverly eluding the defence, Brady drove over right the bar. Capital passing by the visiting forwards was next witnessed, and thoroughly appreciated by the crowd, Berry and Gulliland being the most admired in the respect. Both sides were undoubtedly playing a great game, as each end in turn was visited. Latta, Geary, and Chadwick having a shot at Baird at the one, and Sellar and Brady at the other. Arnott was again called upon Chadwick to punt away a well aimed attempt, which Doyle, lying up the field, drove back into the visitors goal, and Smellie had to up the leather round the upright to clear from a corner kick, Holt was cheered for his fine tackling as he dispossessed Hamilton, and giving to Latta that player had another trial at goal without effect. The next feature of the game was a lively scrimmage in the Scotch goal but no passage could be found, Geary trying hard to scramble through. Berry and Gulliland next showed a splendid bit of combination and being of the most accurate description Jardine was required to get rid of beauty by the latter. Arnott and Gilliespie now came out with flying colours as the most spirited attack by the Everton van. Nearing the interval the visitors showed remarkable play, as they rattled along with rare speed and combination, which, again caused Jardine to steer a warm attempt by Berry; but on the call of the whistle no goals had been scored by either side.

Resuming the home forwards commenced an attack by the aid of Lochhead who passed forward to Chadwick, and after a short movement had taken place the latter sent in a grand shot, which through a misunderstanding by Arnott, and Baird was allowed to sail through, amidst hearty applause. With this stroke of luck, the Everton boys kept up the attack and after some cross pass in front of Baird had ensued, Robertson cleared the danger superbly. A couple of free kicks for hands against the visitors again put them on the defensive, but Sellar fastened on the ball, and coming along though all opposition gave Hamilton a splendid chance to score, but the latter failed, as he headed over. Latta fairly roused the enthusiasm of the onlookers as he sped away, and getting round Robertson faced Smellie with great determination and after a hot tussle looked like scoring. The visitors however, caused him to overturn the ball. From this stage the game until the finish the football displayed was of the very best description, and the spectators were kept in fever heat with the lighting dashes of the visitors wings. Coming through the home defence Waddell tried a shot at goal, which Hannah got rid of, only temporally however, as Berry was again quickly to the ball, and placing to Hamilton, that centre scored with a fast low shot, thus equalising. Nearing the end Latta experienced hard lines in not scoring, as after a lively attack on the Queens goal. Arrnott was lucky to avert danger. A most pleasing game to all concerned thus ended in a draw of a 1 goal each.



April 14 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier


Sir –as a great admirer of the Everton team I would like to draw the attentions of the football loving public to the departure of our worthy captain, who is severing his connection with the club at the end of the season. After what he has done for Everton in more ways them one, I think he is worthy of some recognition. A Lover of football. April 13 th 1891.



April 16 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met last evening at Anfield. The attendance of spectators was undoubtedly the smallest seen on the Everton ground in first class fixtures since the League was formed, there being only about 600 onlookers. The Evertonians were poorly represented. While Accrington came with their full strength, the teams being as follows ; - Everton: - Jardine, goal, Cresswell and McLean, backs, Kirkwood, Campbell, and Lochhead, halfbacks, Gordon, Wyliie, Milward, Elliott, McMillan, forwards. Accrington: - Hay, goal, Mcdermit, and McLeannan, backs, Shuttleworth, Gallacher, and Tattersall, halfbacks, McPherson, Whitehead, Sneddon, Barlow, and Pendergast forwards.

Losing the toss, Milward started against a strong wind towards the Oakfield road end, where McLeannan repelled an advance of Wylie and Gordon, only temporarily, however, as the same pair rushed along on the line again, and Wylie finished up by sending the leather outside. Another visit was made to the visitors end, where a corner resulted from McDermit, and being got rid of by Shuttleworth, the ‘'Reds'' got on the ball and came away in fine style towards Jardine, and Sneddon from a pass by McPherson scored with a swift shot, eight minutes from the start. Aided by the ‘'strong'' breeze the ‘'Reds'' held the advantage until a timely kick by Kirkwood relieved pressure. Racing away on the right Whitehead made a good attempt to increase the score of his side, but his finish proved slightly wide. The Everton left wing were next prominent and after some clever passing had been done by Milward McMillan sent behind. Wylie followed that with a splendid shot, which struck the crossbar and then Cresswell smartly saved a good effort from Barlow. Which ultimately rolled behind. From the goalkick Lochhead placed his side on the attack, and Milward rushing through the ‘'Reds'' defence passed to McMillan, who drew the score level, with a fine shot. A minute after Cresswell made a miskick, and Whitehead lying near at hand scored the second point for Accrington past Jardine. Tom Hay now saved grandly and the visitors were not long in getting towards Jardine, where a lively scrimmage ensued without effect. Cresswell cleared the danger. The home van by clever passing rattled along, and Milward crossing over to Wylie the right winger made matters level with a real beauty, which brought about the interval. Resuming the Anfielders some asserted themselves, and having the best of the game eventually won by 5 goals to 2.


At Liverpool. Accrington scored first by Sneddon, McMillan equalising. The visitors had the best of the play with the wind, and Whitehead scored a point for then, thus being followed by one from Wyllie. At half-time the score stood two goals each. Afterwards Milward, Elliott and McMillian scored for Everton, who won easily by five goals to two.


April 18 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.

During the past week there was such a plethora of football upon Association rules that interest in the pastime is rapidly diminishing. There were exceptions, however, in the matches Everton v Bootle and Everton v Queen's Park, both of which games were witnessed by large and enthusiastic crowds. The first named event proved a veritable windfall for Bootle, and as is invariably the case when these local teams meet, the game was evenly contested, the result of two goals to one in favour of Everton being fairly indicative of the play, which was ruled pretty considerably by a goal-to-goal breeze. The match of the season, however was the one at Anfield on Monday between the League champions and the equally famous Queen's Park, which on all hands is admitted to have been one of the finest and most scientific displays ever witnessed at that enclosure, and which terminated most befittingly in a draw of one goal each. And now of twelve games played since the 19 th March, eleven have been won and one drawn, with a record of 29 goals to 9. This achievement puts all others completely in the shade m-North End, Blackburn Rovers, Notts County, and Accrington (who were hopelessly beaten at Anfield on Thursday evening), and other crack organisations having in turn come to grief in inexplicable fashion. These facts speak eloquently for the high standard of excellence reached by Liverpool's champion team, who have now only to retain the much-valued local trophy to wind up a brilliant season. The struggle takes place at hawthorn-road ground on the 27 th instant; while at Anfield on Saturday next, Darwen and Bolton Wanderers will meet in the final encounter for the holding of the more stately Lancashire cup.



April 20 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton filled up one of their vacant dates by playing the above Alliance club, and when the Midlanders appeared for the first time this season at Anfield road on Saturday there would be about 6,000 spectators present. Doyle, Holt, and Geary were absent from the home team, their places being respectively filled by McLead, Campbell, and Elliott. The day was a good one for the game, and the ground was in first class condition. The following were the teams : - St. George: - Hadley, goal, Coulton, and Siddon, backs, Guttie, Richards, and McVicker halfbacks, Davis, Shaw, Harrison, Thorp, and Wilson, forwards. Everton: - Jardine, goal, McLean, and Hannah (captain), backs, Kirkwood, Campbell, and Lochhead, halfbacks, Latta, Brady, Elliott, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Harrison started for the visitors, who immediately ran up but were sent back by Campbell and then Chadwick after some neat passing with Milward sent a shot outside followed by the latter having a couple of strong shots over the crossbar. Davis and Shaw being interested by Lochhead Latta and Brady ran down trickily, but only a barren corner accured. The visitors now went along on the right but Davis was well tackled by McLean. From a goal kick Latta put in a strong run and, after brushing aside all opposition caused Hadley some anxiety with a scorcher shot from the corner. After Jardine had kicked clear a fine shot from Wilson, the homesters took up the attack, and remained some considerable time in front of Hadley, who, however, succumbed to Latta, Everton thus obtaining the lead 15 minutes from the start. The Dragons had a turn, and by some judicious passing again assailed Jardine, but that custodian was safe, and negotiated. After a lot of midfield play. Everton again asseted themselves and Chadwick with an exceedingly swift shot, and a good range beat Hadley for a second goal. The visitors after this became nore busy but were never very dangerous as the defence of the homesters was strong and it was some time before Chadwick had another opportunity of getting in a shot which, went over. The Blackburn player came in for due recognition for his mastery over the ball and trickiness and it was a treat to see the easy manner in which he dodged he opposing defence. Before the interval Davis and Shaw made many bids to reduce the margin of goals but the interval arrived with the score: - Everton 2 goals, St.George nil. On changing over, the first piece of play of any note was done by Elliott and Milward who getting the ball from below the centre line, carried it well in, and the former made Hadley save a stringer. The Dragons having been in front of Jardine, Latta took possession, and brushing aside McVicker and Siddon, he screwed neatly across to Elliott who made Hadley kick clear. Coming again however, the homesters were in front of Hadley, and both Brady and Chadwick made attempts to further increase the lead, but the saving tactics of the stranger's custodian frustrated them. Aided by a throw in, the saints improved on their play, and looked like scoring, when Wilson skied one over the bar. After McLean and Brady had repelled Davis and Shaw and Chadwick each had shots worked. Latta ran along single handled, and shot in. hadley ran out to meet it, but instead he missed, and Latta, following up, stepped in and scoring the third goal. Not satiated with the slowness of the scoring, the homesters went back strongly on the left and Milward, meeting one of his own returns, from Hadley added a fourth goal with a flying shot. The Visitors then had a chance, but Harrison threw it away by tossing the ball over the bar, and a minute later Jardine, not only conceded a fruitless corner, but also accidentally held an opponent. The Penalty kick being disposed of, Elliott was given another chance, but he was a few inches wide. Cheers went up as Chadwick, and Milward dodged through to the corner, from which position the latter shot across and Latta converted it into a fifth point. The game continued last to the finish, but no further scoring was done. Final result in favour to Everton by 5 goals to nil.

It was not expect by the home supporters that the Dragons would gave the Leaguists a opportunity such as the Queen's Park did to bring out their football merits. Nevertheless they kept them always in the move, and caused them to work hard for the five goals they obtained. The game opened slowly, neither side infusing much vigour, and it was not until Chadwick got set agoing with dodgy tactics that things became lively. Latta also was playing finely, and was the first to score, Chadwick adding a second before the interval. The second half continued to be interesting, although one side only did the registering of points, and at the close Everton were again victorious. Hadley the saints goalkeeper is worthy of praise for his sterling abilities between the posts, and Everton only scored with shots of the highest order. The backs and halves kept up very well, seeing the attack they had to face. Forwards the right wing pair and centre were the pick. Jardine for Everton was at times busy, but he, did all that was wanted, and was ably assisted by McLean and Hannah. Lochhead was again in the thick of the work, and is seemingly getting back to his old form. He tackled well, and seldom allowed an opponent to make headway. Campbell at centre, half was in the best mood, and tackled very cleanly. All the forwards excepting Elliott gave a sound exposition of the game, and were often applauded as they wended their way through all opponents. At the Lancashire cup tie on Saturday only member's tickets will be available.



April 20 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Gorton on Saturday before a large assembly. Everton early brought pressure to bear on the home goal. Murray opening the scoring account. Gorton tried to make headway but were held in check, and though Everton were more often dangerous nothing else was scored, up to the interval. On resuming McCarthy equalising, but afterwards Everton asserted themselves Wylie scoring twice. Result in favour of Everton by 3 goals to 1.



April 20 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly match was played on the Anfield enclosure last evening, in the presence of quite 5,000 spectators. Owing to the late arrival of the visitors, the kick off did not take place until 6-20. Everton did not place their best eleven on the field, both Geary and Chadwick being absentees, while the visitors came with pot Tich Smith, and Russell. The teams were composed as follows: - Everton: - Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, McLean, Holt, and Campbell, halfbacks, Latta, Brady, Wylie, McMillan, and Milward, forwards. Notts Forest: - Brown, goal, Earp, and Scott, backs, Smith, Thompson, and Jeacock, halfbacks, McCallium, Rowan, Higgins, May, and Oscroft, forwards . Lossing the toss, Higgins set the ball going for the visitors, and after some fine tackling by Holt, Everton went well down towards Brown, where McMillan passed finely to Wylie, and the centre lobbing over to his left. Campbell rushed up and tried a shy at goal, his shot, however, going wide of the mark. From the goal kick the Forest made headway, and coming along grandly on the right, Mccullum crossed to Oscroft, who in turn sent a flyer over the bar. Holt now caused so amusements as he upset the calculations of May and tripping over to his rightwing, Latta raced away on the line, and forced an absortive corner from Scott. The Notts men were the next to show up. Doyle being called upon to avert danger from McCullan which he successfully accomplished. Play continued even, both sides having a share of the exchanges, each goalkeeper being called upon. From hands against Jeacock, Wylie looked like scoring, when he was capitally intercepted by Scott and from the latter's clearance the Forest were away again, Oscroft sending a real beauty a few inches too high-a very near thing indeed. Brady followed this attempt with a similar one, as did Milward and Wylie, the trio finishing with shots, which went sailing over the crossbar. After a pretty combined run had been put in on the visitors right agrand bit of passing was witnessed on the home left, but nothing resulted. Earp this time being in the way, and hard to beat. A free kick was well placed, by Campbell, and cleverly got rid of by Scott, and the Notts back planting over among his forwards the Everton defenders were taxed, for a moment. Hannah however, relieved, and Milward was loudly cheered as he was seen to work his way through al opposition, and giving to Wylie the new centre missed a good opening. Coming again the home van surrounded Brown, but had shooting prevailed, and no opening was thus gained. Just on the interval, the Reds again got underway, and the ball was smartly taken down by the efforts of McCullan and Duncan, when Doyle proved a stumbling block to the latter, causing him to overrun the leather. On the blow of the whistle, either side had scored no goals.

On resuming the Forest were the first to assort themselves, when a claim for hands spoiled their movement. The free kick was splendidly got away by Thompson, and from his return, Latta fastened on the leather, and dashing along in good style got ‘'closured'' by Scott, much to his disgust. The check was only temporary, however, as the Everton right winger was to the fore again, and screwing to Brady, the latter experienced hard lines, as he almost knocked Scott over with a shot right in the goalmouth. Rattling away on the left, the visitors looked like gaining a point, as May sent in a stinging screw shot to Jardine, but it was steered round the upright. The game continued to be well contested, there being little to choose between the teams. Although the visitors seemed quicker on the ball. Putting in all, they knew the ‘'Reds'' went forwards the Everton citadel in full force, and after attempts had been repelled by both Hannah and Doyle, Higgins again returned to the attack, and beat Jardine with a low shot after a short scrimmage had taken place in the home goalmouth. This success was thoroughly deserved, and was well appreciated by the onlookers, who, however, called upon their pets to make matters level. Rising to the occasion, the Anfielders went at with increased determination, and it could be easily seen that they intended to escape defeat. McLean, Holt, and Campbell tackled grandly and the former sending towards Milward, the left wing went away in a powerful fashion, which resulted in Earp conceding a corner, which was followed by another, and the last being accurately centred by Milward. Doyle rushed up and with a terrific force banged the leather past Brown, amidst great cheering. From this stage until the end play continued in midfield, and could hardly be followed owing to semi-darkness, but no further scoring took place, a grand game thus ending in a draw of a goal each.


April 20, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post.

These clubs met at Everton, the home side having naturally the best of the game. Latta and Chadwick each scored a goal before change of ends, whilst afterwards Latta and Milward added other points, and from a splendid centre by Milward, Latta put in a fifth goal. St. George were thus beaten by five goals to none.



April 21, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Liverpool. Higgins kick-off for the visitors. Everton had the best of the game, but lost several grand chances through faulty shooting and up to the interval no goals had been scored. Wyllie restarted for Everton. The Forest players best, and Higgins scored after fifteen minutes. Everton played disjointedly, and their attacks were easily repelled by Scot and Earp. Doyle equalised for Everton. Result a draw one goal each.


April 22 1891

No details of match



April 23 1891. The Liverpool Courier

There was a very poor attendance of Spectators at this match at Anfield last evening. At the outset it seemed as if Everton were about to do as they liked with their opponents. McMillan shooting a few inches over the bar, and Wylie having hard lines. The visiting by means of vigorous tactics improved their position and Downes the outside right put in a beautful shot, which owing to the effort of Dobson and Cresswell to head out, beat Jardine, half time arriving after 30 minuets play with Rawtenstall leading by a goal to nil. Everton attacked very strongly on resuming play, and Gordon equalised. A few minutes later after some rough and turntable work on the left, Gordon scored the second. The home team was rarely out of their opponents half but could not increase the score, and the game ended in favour of Everton by 2 goals to 1. Team: - Everton: - Jardine goal, Donson (captain), and Cresswell backs, Martin, Jones (r), and Robinson, halfbacks, Gordon, Wylie, McGregor, McMillan, and Murray, forwards.



April 24 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

The fourth match this season between these clubs took place at Nottingham yesterday, in the presence of 3,000 spectators. Everton had the best of a slow hame in the first half. Geary scoring ten minutes from the start. Holt was kicked in the face and had to retire, Geary was also lamed. The visitors held their own in the second half, and Notts could not score. Result Everton 1 goal, Notts Forest nil.



April 25 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.

Although the season is almost over, and interest in the dribbling ends is rapidly declining there would be 6,000 persons present at the Everton match against Birmingham St. George. Doyle Holt, and Geary were absentees, despite which the game throughout was in favour of the Leaguers, and the visitors had to somecome to superior force by five goals to nil. At Blackpool, however, the Evertonians found opponents worthy of their steel, for although at half-time the champions led by two goals to nothing. Blackpool drew level and a drawn game of two goals each ensued. As the match against Notts Forest also resulted in a draw (one goal each), it seemed as if a second reaction had set in. Later in the week, however, the foreboding was dispelled, and with a victory of one to nothing over Notts Country, the Everton record remains untarnished.



April 27 1891. The Liverpool Daily Post

Everton journeyed to Blackburn to encounter Blackburn Rover. The Everton team were nor fully presented Doyle, Holt, and Geary being absent. Wylie played centre forward. The Rovers were minus several of their usual team. The assemblage was very meager, not ore than about 1,000 persons putting in the appearance. Wylie started on behalf of Everton at 3-40. The play was rather tame, and for some slowly contested. Close to midfield a free kick was conceded in the Everton quarters. The ball was well placed and a score seemed almost certain, But Jardine cleared just in time. Milward and Chadwick tried a move which, was not effected, the outside left sandwich the ball outside the upright. Dewar spoiled a well meat effort on the part of the Everrtonians, following Which McLean repulsed an attack by the home right. The game mow livened up somewhat, and the Rovers pressed. Two free kicks for the home hands were one led against Everton, from the second of which Dewar struck the crossbar and the ball bounded through. This reverse spurred on the visitors, who rushed away for the Rovers gaol. Brandon getting away a good shot by Milward, play was now being carried on at good pace, and Wtylie was given a chance by Milward, nut failed to reach the leather. Hostilities were for some time carried on about the centre, and then Everton attack strongly and indulge in some fine passing. Milward centre two beautifully, but in each instance the danger was averted. Branston and Forbes displayed firm defence tactics, Walsh and Haydock start a movement up the right. The Everton forwards were showing some fine passing, but try as they will, they could not break through the defence. The home team left and centre than raced down the field and Dewar sent in a shot, which Jardine just got away, Townley however, met the ball and registered a goal. Pressure was still kept up the Rovers, which was eventually relieved by McLean and Hannah. The homesters came again, however nothing was scored, and the game ended with the score in favour of BlackBurn Rovers by 3 goals to nil. Everton team, Jardine, goal Hannah (captain), and McLean, backs. Lockkhead, Kirkwood, and Campbell, halfbacks, Latta, Brady Wylie, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.


April 28, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

These clubs met in the final of the Liverpool cup tie at Bootle yesterday. Everton kick-off, Bootle went away, however, with a big rush, but were repelled, and Everton attacked strongly, Chadwick shooting a couple of goals. Lochhead scored a third from a free kick. In the second half Jamieson scored for Bootle, and Hammond for Everton. Play was severely contested. Bootle had a point disallowed. Result Everton 4, Bootle 1.


April 28 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Liverpool Senior Cup Final

The seventh competition by the Liverpool Association was concluded yesterday evening, when Everton and Bootle met in the final tie, as they did last year at the Hawthorn road enclosure. The winners of the cup in previous years were: - 1883 Bootle, 1884 Everton, 1885 Earlestowm 1886 Everton, 1887 Everton, 1888 Bootle, 1889 Bootle, 1890 Everton.

More interest was taken in the contest this year than in that of recent occasions, consequent on the fact the Bootle had met Everton three times during the present season and singularly, had been beaten on each occasion by a single goal margin only. Again Everton through injuries were not enabled to put their best team in the field, and this had the effect of equalising more closely, the respective sides. The weather was fine, with conditions generally favourable for a fast game, and there were about 6,000 present. When the following men took up their positions : - Everton: - Angus, goal, McLead, and Doyle backs, Locchead, Campbell, and Kirkwood halfbacks, Latta, Brady, Hammond, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Bootle: - Dunning, goal, Lambert, and Cain, backs, Grierson, Hughes, and Dodd, halfbacks, Morris, Kilner, Murray, Hasting, and Jamieson, forwards . Mr Roberst of Chester officiated as referee, and Messrs A.R.Hull and Lamont were umpires. Hammond started towards the Hawthorne road goal, but Bootle opened the attack. Morris, however, put a bad finish on some neat passing on the right by driving wide of goal. Everton went away on the right, and Chadwick put the ball across, where from a fine pass, Milward shot over the bar. Everton continued to press on the left, after Lambert had made some good clearance Milward again raised the ball over the bar. Hughes contributed excellent work at Midfield, with the result that Bootle harassed the Everton defence and during the attack, Kilner grounded Campbell, who was hurt, but not sufficient to cause him to relinquish play. Doyle missed his kick, but danger was stenured, and once away. Everton after Cain had beaten the right wing, scored a grand goal, Chadwick shooting truly from Campbell's pass. Bootle went to the front immediately in strength. When Doyle administrated a check three times rapidly. Everton dashed down to which the home team replied and Doyle again defended well. Morris, however, got within range, and shot keenly behind the goal. At the other end Cain was reprimanded for his treatment of Chadwick and from the free kick placed backwards by Lochhead. Doyle was very near with a long, low arm. Hastings improved the outlook for Bootle by smart running, and despite the interception of Campbell he was enabled to make a good bid for goal. Play was fast, and the ball travelled rapidly up and down, the best attempt at scoring just now being a headed shot by Latta. When well down in the Bootle quarters, Grierson handled the ball, and from Lochhead place kick the goal was penetrated but the claim that Latta had touched the ball was votoed. This mattered put for Everton, for Chadwick picked out of a scrimmage and scored. Chadwick, Milward and Brady sent in magnificent shots, whilst Dunning saved from a grounding by Chadwick a moment later. Everton had much the best of matters from now to the interval. From hands against Lambert, Lochhead placed accurately, and the ball gliding off Hammonds thigh went through, bring the visitors score up to 3 goals to nil, which was the record of most determined pay up to time. Everton had a strengthening wind, against them on resuming, but opened the attack with much gusto through no damage was done. Hasting got off from a throw in, and forced McLean to concede a corner- the second of the match-but this was of no assistance to Bootle. Latta next sent across the goalmouith, and the ball going out, Bootle attacked strongly for some time, during which, Lochhead and Doyle acquitted themselves splendidly. Energy was the watchword, and Everton had a turn. Chadwick and Latta each shooting well, whilst Brady was conspicuous in company with his partner, in frequently battling Dodd. From a smart run down the right wing the ball was centred, but Hammond stumbled, and elbowed the ball through thus nullifying a fine chance. Bootle were equaly spirited, and bring considerable pressure to bear from the left wing Jamieson beat the defence, and the ball striking the inside of the post, bounding through. Hammond took aim at close range without effect. Bootle laid siege on goal by means of very good play, during which Hasting shot in hard, but too skyward, though Everton rarely permitted their rivals to became very dangerous. The next goal however, came from the cupholders, as on Brady passing to Chadwick the latter parted to Hammond, who ran straight down from the centre and shot home cleany, and scored about the finest goal of the game, thus making some amends for previous indifferent play. Subsequently, Hasting put through from an offside position, and a hard game resulted in Everton winning the local cup for the fifth time. Score Everton 4 goals, Bootle 1 goal.



April 28 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

A strong team from the Everton Club visited St. Helens last night and met a representative team selected from local district clubs, on the ground of the St Helens A.F.C. Park road. There was a large attendance of spectators, and the result of a good game was a very for the Evertonians by 1 goal to nil.