March 1891

March 2 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
These clubs tried their skill for the fifth time this season on Saturday. This was the third appearance at Anfield of the Bolton Wanderer, but there seemed to be no warning interest in the encounter and fully 8,000, despite the higher charge of admission were present. Everton had a strong team including Lochhead, who proved a special attraction, whilst the Wanderers, as well be seen from the following names, had but one change- Munro vice Brogan-from the team that gave Everton such a grueling in the Lancashire cup tie. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, Goal, Somerville, and Jones, backs, Paton, Gardiner, and Roberts, halfbacks, Barbour, Munro, Cassidy, McNee, and Turner, forwards. Everton: - Jardine, goal, McLean, and Doyle, backs, Lochhead, Holt (captain), and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Cassidy started the ball on a splendid ground, which was just the opposite to that at Bolton last week-dry and easy, instead of sticky and heavy. The Wanderers went to the front at the outset, but were easily stalled off, and Geary gave evidence that he was in a good strain, as he ran down, and all but scored. The Wanderers then stretched themselves along the left, but were grandly saved off by Lochhead, and McLean, with the result that Geary came out. He gave to Chadwick, who tested Sutcliffe, and Milward, meeting the ball, notched the first point of the game. Everton were aggressive for the next few minutes. All was playing well, an oblique shot by Milward causing Sutcliffe to throw out. The Home team returned again and again, But could bot get a fair aim at goal. The Wanderers asseted themselves, when Turner got o pass both Lochead and McLean, but throw a fine chance of equalising away. Doyle and McLean were called upon to beat off the Wanderers, and this achieved, Everton attacked very determinedly, but so well did the defence stand, the onslaught that it was quite ten minutes before Chadwick succeeded in adding a second goal, as the issue of grand forward work. The Wanderers rallied somewhat after the second disater, and made plucky attempts toget down on the left, but here Lochhead and McLean jointly tackled effectively and from the new man's accurate passing Latta and gordon closed up and gave Sutcliffe a couple of ticklish shots to grapple. Holt stumbled and the wanderers got clear, and Munro tried Jardine with a splendid shot. Everton from now to the interval confined play inside their opponents half, but failed to improve their score, and ends changed with the home club leading by 2 goals to nil. Restarting the game waxed even faster than it had previously been. The play became more even, and both ends were equally visited, but each defence was splendid presenting anything in the shape of goals. Chadwick and Latta at length grew very dangerous, but Jones and Somerville shielded Sutcliffe very cleverly. Parry attended with great effect to Munro, and Milward missed by a mere shave lowering the Wanderers colours, but this feat soon followed. Geary broke off from midfield in one of his dashes, that have not been conspicuous of late, and with standing a slight rebuff by Jones shot in hard and scored, amidst much enthusiasm at the centre's ‘'revival'' The Wanderers woke up considerably at this juncture and showed that they could play on a dry ground, almost as well as they can on a muddy one, and displaying good kicking in combination, were rewarded with a well earned goal. Cassidy after McNee had caused Jardine to fist out beating the custodian. More pressure by the Wanderers followed, but this was survived with much credit, and in answer to the call of ‘'Beat them by six'' Geary again darted off, and parting accurately at the proper moment to the right wing, Gordon took the rebound from Sutcliffe and scored. The game continued to be lively in the extreme, and the Wanderers, if anything, had the best of matters. It looked as though they would score, but the defence was capital, a clearance by Parry being particularly smart, a most interesting game-well worth sixpence resulting in a victory to Everton by 4 goals to 1.

The score very truly represented the respective quality of two teams on Saturday, and however much the Bolton Wanderers may excel on their own ground when coated with adhesive mud, it is evident they are no match for Everton when at their full strength on a dry and easy field of play. The Wanderers let out Brogan, who did so much destruction the previous week, and put Munro in his place. This was a change for the worse, but otherwise the Wanderers were the same as in the cup-tie. Everton had a very different team on Saturday. And the substitution of Doyle, Lochhead, and Latta for Campbell, Kirkwood, and Wylie, worked a wonderful change for the better. Last week all was chacs and inaction; now everything was orderly and effective. It was well, too that Everton was strongly represented, or the Wanderers might have snatch another victory. They played hard all through, improving as they went on, until towards the finish, they were quite aggressive as their opponents. Sutcliffe fell to only good shots, and as the proportion of those that beat him in a small one to that he safety negotiated, he most be voted a success. Both Jones and Somerville sustained their reputation, particularly the latter in the second half. The Wanderers halfbacks were not so formidable as in the previous match, and instead of Gardiner always despoiling the play of Geary, the Everton centre forward was continually out-maneuvering the sturdy centre half back. In forward the Wanderers were adepts in long kicking, but the home defeners were well able to attain the speed requisite to combat this clever mode of warfare with success. Doyle and Mclean combined in splendid defence, but good as this department was, the halfbacks were equally complete. It is not easy to say which was more useful, as all three were seen to great advantage. Parry could not have been improved upon on the left, Holt seemed always in the way of Cassidy, and Lochhead made a most promising debut at Anfield, his tackling and placing being of the best brand. He is an aggressive halfback, and was ever closely following up his passes. Geary was well fed by Lochhead, and it was gratying to see the Nottingham man, back again to something like his old form, and rasking good use of the many chances that came his way. He ran better, and passed to his wings more readily than usual, though a greater indulgence in feeding the supporters is still desirable. Gordon outshone Latta, though the latter was seem to much purpose; whist Milward and Chadwick maintained the pretige which has secured them internationals honours and confidences will be felt that they, with holt will render a good account of themselves to the advantage of England against Wales.

We have pleasure in calling attention to the match arranged to be played between Everton and Darwin for the joint benefit of Farmer, Dicky, and Joliffe. Each of these men were popular in their day, and have assisted materially in bulking up the reputation attained by Everton. Farmer when at his best was hard to beat as a left winger. Dick was always a reliable and consistent back, full of resource, especially in tackling, whilst Joliffe has often delighted Evertoninas for dexterous work in goal. They are all deserving men, and with a good game in store, the Liverpool public will not be tardy in their patron age on Saturday next.

March 2 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
These teams met at Bolton. The visitors kicked off and at once opened a persistent attack, but the defence of the home team proving stubborn, only one goal was scored in the first half. Play afterwards was still more in favour of Everton, who won by 3 goals to nil, and this avenged the defeat inflicted by Bolton Wanderers of a goal to nil, when Everton were previously at Pike's lane, on October 18 last. Everton:- Angus, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs Martin, R. Jones, and Hammond, half-backs, Wyllie, Gordon, McGregor, McMillan, and Elliott forwards.

March 2, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post
AT Everton. The game opened fast, but the play was rather erratic, Everton quickly scored, and had almost all the play up to the interval, when they led by two goals to nil. On resuming, Geary made one of his inimitable runs and beat Sutcliffe, the Wanderers replaying with a grandly –obtained goal, Lochhead's first appearance at Everton was a big success. Result Everton 4 goals Bolton Wanderers 1 goal.

March 7 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
After the crushing disaster at Bolton by which Everton were beaten from the Lancashire contest, there was nothing particularly attractive in taking on the Wanderers at Anfield on Saturday last, especially as the team had met four times previously this season. But as there was nothing better in the market the supporters of the ground accepted the fixture with tolerably good spirits, possibly in the hope that the match at the Everton enclosure would be thoroughly effected. Interest chiefly centered in the debut of Lochhead, the Third Lanark “half” but although the Scot could scarcely be said to have shone in a practice games, he was seen in an entirely new light and the supporters of the club were in the main well satisfield with his display. Brady was an absentee, but as Gordon partnered Latta, which the combination worked well. The Wanderers who had a strong team, were confident in a degree, and must therefore have been grievously disappointed when they found themselves in the rare of four goals to one, two of which were registered without response before ends were changed. Meanwhile Geary was particularly smart, and indeed the whole of the home forwards combined in something like the form spectators were accustomed to witness in the early days of the season. The game afterwards was of a fast and more even character and although the Wanderers at length gained a point the Evertonians by had placed a couple of more to their account. Doyle was less energetic than usual which gave McNee a chance of justifying himself, while Holt, a half was a tricky and effective as ever.

The Liverpool Football Echo
Bolton Wanderers did not repeat the 6 to nothing last Saturday at Anfield road. The Everton boys were in different trim. Doyle's reappearance seemed to give confidence to the men, and they worked like Trojans all through. Dan kept very quiet, and he was very wise in not exerting himself too much, seeing that his knee has not fully recovered. Lockheed's first appearance at Anfield under the Everton flag may be put down as a success. He is fast and workers very hard, but he seemed rather anxious to please, and in consequence did not play a brilliant game; but that he is a “clinker” there is not the slightest doubt. The greatest satisfaction was expressed in the great improvement shown by Geary. His play at times reminded one of his brilliant performances of last year. Keep this up, Fred, as you may have yet a chance for international honours. When in true form there is not a better centre going. There is not the slightest doubt that Geary has been a marked man in every game he has played this season. He has had more knocking about than any man in the team, and when one considers everything there is lot of excuse for his poor performances. Geary will yet regain his form, and again delight the rather fickle spectators who congregate at Anfield. Chadwick's display last Saturday was of the highest order, and it is many a long day since any player at Anfield has shown such a game as Edgar's. Alex Brady should have taken his place in the team, but on the previous Thursday, while practicing, he had the misfortune to hurt his ankle –not the one he has been nursing for some time. The little Renton man seems to be under a cloud. Cheer up Alex, sunny days will come again. We were sorry to see genial Bobby Stockton looking very ill. He seems to have lost that merry twinkle in his eye always so noticeable to Evertonians. Everton should have played Notts Forest on Thursday, but the match was abandoned for a variety of reasons. Next Saturday Everton play their last League fixture of the season 1890-91, when they meet Burnley at Burnley. A great deal depends on the result of this match, for if the Toffee Boys win they have a good chance of fetching the League cup to Everton; if they lose their chance is gone. Can they rise to the occasion! They are not in the habit of doing this, but if they play, as they are able to do, they ought to do the trick. It behooved the Everton Committee to see that the men do a bit of extra training during the week, and remember how that the team lost their last League fixture last season.

March 9 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Unfortunately for the perfect success of this benefit match in recognition of Everton's appreciation of the past services of Messrs Dick Farmer, and Joliffe, rain fell for some time prior to four o'clock on Saturday, and this deterred many from being present. There were however, quite 5,000 spectators assembled which considering the weather was very satisfactory, the taking independent of tickets sold being £102. Internationals match also clashed with the event. With, Holt, Chadwick, Milward, and Parry away in Sunderland, all endeavoring to merit the honours conferred on them, Everton could not be seen at their full strength, especially as Doyle deemed it best to stand down and husband his strength for the more momentous struggle next Saturday at Burnley. Darwen were with J.Marsden, who is engaged as a right back for Everton next season, and who on Saturday was playing for Ebgland against Ireland, and on this account the visit of Darwen lost much of its attractiveness, as everyone was naturally curious to have a peep at Marsden's capacity as a defender against a league club. The teams were accordingly composed of the following: - Everton: -Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and McLean, backs, Lochhead, Jones (r), and Campbell, half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Geary, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards. Darwin: - McOwen, goal, Hunt, and Thorner, backs, Haddow, Owen, and Marsden (t), halfbacks, Smith (r), Nightingale, Marsden (w), Entwistle, Smith (jw), and Marsden (w) forwards. Darwen were early on the attack, but Hannah though stumbling pulled up the wing. Jones cleared to Geary, and Latta run down, spoiling a fine effect by shooting wildly. Everton pressed. The bar was skimmed, and with this escape Darwen moved down on the left once more, Mclean was grounded, but Campbell covered well, and following up his kick tried the qualily of McOwen with a hugh well directed shot into the goalmouth, the ball being neatly blocked with the right foot. Other shots were sent in, and a pretty bit of play by Latta, Gordon, and Geary was utterly dismounted by a blundering shot from Elliott. a smart rush and quick kicking enabled Darwen to grow dangerous, but before any damage ensued, Elliott headed a raid, to find Thornber in the way. Quiet play favorable to Everton intervened, when the spectators were exasperated with a sequence of poor shots. Darwen, when in the open evidenced much speed, and some close following up was rewarded with a goal which W.Marsden scored, as Hannah who was still very lame, fell in his endeavor to tackle the invader. Marsden came very near supplementing this goal a moment later with a straight sharp shot, but Jardine made a save with his foot. Latta got away in a powerful run and shooting in, Gordon lying handy, tipped a goal and equalised. Geary next ran down in characteristic style, passing every one but spoiling a fine angle banded effort by shooting indifferently. Darwen now had the best of play, during which Entwistle shot grandly once or twice. R.Jones was conspicuous at this period for effective work, while Latta backed up by Lochhead, made many good bids to place Everton ahead, but got only moderate assistance from his partner, and the interval came with the score one each.

Geary opened the second half with a capital shot at goal, which McOwen equally well compared. Gordon dallied and had the ball taken from him by T.Marsden but Darwen received no help from this smart piece of work, for Elliott and McMillan returned, and centred. Geary took the pass quickly, and scored a splendid goal, just inside the post. Nightingale essayed a capital sprint as far as McLean, from whom Latta soon got possession, and running down gave Geary a pass at the proper moment, the centre man scoring amidst enthusiasm. The game became exciting now. Latta went behind in a long aim, but Darwen were not beaten to the extent of discouragement yet, and their nimbleness told so well that they were often troublesome. Geary from the left pass, next shot over the line near the post, and Haddow cleared. Nightingale and Entwistle each giving anxiety to the home defenders. Jones gave Elliott a fine chance with a job a few minutes later, but he hesitated and lost the opportunity, McOwen clearing at close quarters. Darwen moved rapidly to the front from the goal kick, and Entwistle scored a good goal. McOwen shot this time-retired hurt, T.Marsden falling back in goal. Everton attacked strongly, Campbell especially shooting in accurately, but it was some time before a goal came, and this from Gordon, who made a running shot. Nothing further was scored, and Everton won an interesting game by 4 goals to 2.

Darwen made an excellent impression. They were very quick on the ball, packed well together, and kicked very cleanly. Of the two sides their play was the pretties, and during the first half they were seen to slightly more advantage than Everton. McOwen had good work in goal, and Thornber, who stepped back from his usual position on the right half-back into J.Marsden's place, was grand in his trackling, and general defence. On the others all played in combination and were equally useful, whilst Entwistle was especially smart in his shooting line. Everton was a mixed team, and accordingly were not conspicuous for even and compose work. Hannah was not to his play, he limped all though and was really of little use. He made work heavy for McLean, who came off very creditable and rendered much assistance from Lochhead, who filled the double post of halfback and back with great success his adroitness ingoing to the assistance of Hannah. Campbell and R.Jones were by no means disappointmenting, through the half line was weak without Holt and Parry. The forwards were more effective then of late. McMillan and Elliott are not far behind Chadwick and Milward, Geary was outstanding, with his well-desired runs and shooting.

March 9 th 1891
Everton team: - Angus, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, Kirkwood and Robertson, half-backs, Wyllie, Gordon, McGregor, Murray, and Hammond, forwards.

March 9 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
This international match was played at Sunderland on Saturday in the presence of 15,000 persons to watch England beat Wales by four goals to one, Just before half-time Chadwick put on a third, and Milward added a fourth immediately afterwards. Holt and Parry also played.

Preston Herald - Wednesday 11 March 1891
Football agents and club emissaries have anything but an easy or pleasant task on hand when they are on the prowl in the land of the mountain and the flood in quest of football notabilities.  No doubt Mr. Molyneaux, of the Everton club would be glad to recross the border with a whole skin, if we may judge from the following, which appeared in Scottish Sport, written by an "eye witness" and headed, "Agents run to earth" - "Sabbath is evidently not a day of rest with the 'agent' and his master.  The quiet little village of Howwood was their centre of action on Sunday last.  Driving from Glasgow, a pair of these prowlers pass through Johnstone, and in an artful manner lured Dowds (the Celtic centre), who resides there, and of course, the inevitable forms were produced, as also the usual fabulous offers, to all of which the crack centre turned a deaf ear.  A passer-by, a witness of the affair, mentioned something about 'committee and followers.  This made the 'agent' (a well-known figure in Renfrewshire) quake in his shoes, and at once the two agents -the 'agents' and his Liverpool master (Everton, we understand, being the club) -set about making good their exit, Dowds taking a seat with them on their trap.  Their little game, however, was well checkmated; A well-known Celt in Paisley got to know, gave chase and overtaking the trio, ordered a halt, and then made the 'agent' tremble.  They journeyed home, minus their prize -who, of course, was recaptured -as a few interested Celts in Paisley had witnessed the chase, and recognizing the pursuer and his evident object, they had made arrangements for the entertainment of the distinguished strangers.  Dowds has been sorely tried by these pests, and has withstood them all.  A vigilance committee has been formed in the district, and woe betide the gent, who tries to woo Dowds from his team.
Failing to get Dowds, Everton gold hold of Maxwell of Cambuslang.  Is this the youth that left Accrington in the lurch earlier on this season?  It is said that he signed all the necessary documents and the consent of his of his father has been obtained, the terms offered him being £100 and£ 3 a week.  However, as soon as it got bruited abroad in Cambuslang, Maxwell friends "Got at him" with the result that he has intimated to the Everton executive his unwillingness to carry out his part of the bargain, it would be interesting to know what induced him to change his mind.  

March 12 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played last evening at Anfield in the presence of 5000 people, the ground being lighted by fourteen of Well's lights, Everton kicked off, and at once made tracks for the opposing goal. The danger was cleared, and then the Accrington forwards, made a smart run to the other end where the ball was shot over the bar. Elliott made a strong dash down the home left and Campbell had an abortive shot at goal. Everton were having the best of the game, and had play constantly in front of the “Reds” goal, but the visitors defence was first class, and the attacking side's efforts were nipped in the bud. Cresswell stopped a rash of the Accrington vanguard, and a corner kick was conceded by Everton. The ball was well put in, but the threatened danger was averted. A few minutes later Wylles shot grandly, but without effort. The Accrington right now put in a stiff bit of play, and it took the home backs all their efforts to check the pair. The Everton forwards replied from a kick down the field by Campbell, but no score resulted. Accrington now attacked strongly, and after a smart run down Wilkinson put the ball past Angus. This reverse aroused the home team somewhat, and after a few minutes play McGregor easily equalised the scores. Everton now kept up a sharp attack, and Murray had to abortive shot at the Accrington goal. “Hands” occurred several yards from the “Reds” goal, and McGregor shot a second point for the home tem. Half-time arrived with the score 2 to 1, in favour of Everton. In the second half Everton had much more of the play than previously, and it was only by means of the splendid exhibition by young Horne in goal that a heavy score was averted. Only a few minutes after the interval McMillan received the ball from Elliott and put it past Holmes. Most of the play during the remainder of the game was made on the Everton right –Murray and Wyllie –wing, and some splendid shots were sent in by the latter, but repelled in a remarkable expert manner. When time was called Everton were victors by 3 goals to 1. Everton: - Angus, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, Robertson and Campbell, half-backs, Wyllie, Murray, McGregor, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 14 March 1891
That for several days past Maxwell, of Cambuslang, has been sorely tempted by an Everton agent, who almost succeeded in his efforts; that it seems Maxwell agreed to go, signed the necessary papers, accepted £l00, and was receive sum of £2 per week ; that he, however, "thoecht lot,” consulted several of his friends, and ultimately came to the conclusion that second thoughts are always best; that the agent was foiled when he thought his prey was secure ; that another bold attempt to lure Maxwell from home was made by the agent in question ; that besides the £l00 be already possessed and the £2 per week, an extra sum of £50 was held out to him on his arrival at Everton ; that the bait failed to and Maxwell rejoiced the hearts of his many admirers when he entered the field to play against the Celtic on Saturday ; that Maxwell deserves every credit for so manfully turning a deaf ear to the charmer; that he is only 19 years of age. and this his first season the ranks of senior team; that he hails from the Burnbank Swifts, and is without doubt one of the best centre-forwards in Scotland, and the best Cambuslang ever possessed; that Maxwell has handed to one of the Cambuslang committee a Bank of England note for £l00 with the request to have it returned Everton.—Scottish Sports

March 14 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
As the all-aborting League contest comes to the close, the work on the side of Everton, who have only to draw with Burnley today to give a successful finishing touch to the labour of an eventful season. Put the utmost confidence prevails that Everton will win, and as the Rovers are completely out of the hunt whilst North End can hardly expect to lower the colours of Sunderland on the banks of the Wear, the prospect of the Liverpool champions are of the highest order. Should they lose even at Burnley and North End win, it is still not only possible, but extremely probable, as the goal average remains in favour of the Anfield-road team, and although slight, it will nevertheless enough to secure the honours, and then the Evertonians will be champions indeed. Everton must remember, however, that to day they will be fighting the last battle in a memorable statues and history and glory of the good old town, which expects that every man will do his duty. It will doubtless be a tough and exciting match. Last Saturday the Everton team played Darwin Owing to the absence of Milward, Chadwick, Holt and Parry, who were winning international fame on distant fields, the home team was of but moderate strength, and urging to this fact, probably, the attendance was not commanding with the importance of the event, for undoubtedly the whole of the beneficiaries named rendered much service to the club in bygone days. Still, the team was strong enough for the occasion, and although at half-time the scoring was equal with the goal scored, the Evertonians afterwards had much the best of the game, and won by four goals to one. A pleasing feature of the match was the improved form of Geary, who played with marked confidence and delighted the crowd with a series of those sensational dribbles for which a season ago he was famous. The “peaceful Valley” representatives, who by the way, were without J. Marsden, played well at the start, but were clearly beaten during the after-part of the game. On Wednesday night the reserves teams of Everton and Accrington occupied the Anfield enclosure, which was brilliantly illuminated by means of the Well's light. There was a large attendance and after an admirably contested game Everton were the winners by three goals to one. Everton owing to the heavy calls upon the club, played a weak team against Attercliffe at the Anfield road ground. All the scoring was done in the first half, and Everton won by two goals to one, Attercliffe however, were unfortunate in having Hughes hurt, and had a goal disallowed, so that the losers had all the worst of the luck.

The Liverpool Football Echo.
A peculiar piece of “officialism” was enacted at the gates of the Everton Club ground last Saturday. The committee of the club, it might be stated, issued Press tickets at the commencement of the season in the usual way, one of which the Echo was favoured with, and the Daily Post another. One of these cards was presented at the gate by a member of our staff, but he was denied admission, and was told by the official whose signature was attached to the ticket that he must pay if he wanted to go in. Press representatives, as a rule, meet with but scant courtesy from football clubs, but this piece of high horsemanship about takes the cake, to say nothing of the fact of the gentleman in question stultifying himself by repudiating his own signature, and authority. Clubs do not object to make free use of the columns of a newspaper in order to further their own interest, but their maxim appears to be to give as little in return as possible. Think, my friend, what the local Press has done for the Everton Club (you have been connected with it years enough to know), and then ask yourself if your conduct was justified. Darwen played a very plucky and taking game at Anfield-road last Saturday. The substitutes in the Everton team all did very well, Elliott and McMillan making a strong wing. Bob Jones filled Holt's position in a very creditable manner, and he gave the Darwen centre little chance of showing up. Andrew Hannah got a welcome cheer on his first appearance since that fatal North End match. But after he had been on ten minutes it was painfully evident that he was not fit, and ought never to have been played. Jardine gave away a very soft point to Darwen when he let the first one go through. Perhaps he was cold. The gate considering everything, was a very good one, and Messrs, Dick, Farmer, and Joliffe were on good terms with themselves. We were glad to notice that the good old Mike Higgins was present at the match. He was evidently not forgotten his old pals. Messrs Ramsay and Brooks were very busy making everyone they met buy a shilling ticket, nothing less would suit them. The performance of the reserves in beating Attercliffe away from home with a weakened team is about their best this season. By-the-by, we hear that arrangements have been made whereby Hope Robertson joins Stoke. Holt made his place a certainly in the International team against Scotland by his grand play last Saturday. Milward and Chadwick played very well, while they were together, but on account of Jack Southworth getting hurt Milward had to take the centre position. Charlie Parry was about the best of the Welsh half-backs, Billy Hughes not being far behind. That both Parry and Hughes sailed is shown by the fact that they have both been chosen to play for Wales against Scotland. By-the-by, taking Parry, a little bird whispers that Charlie will shortly be engaged in a very important match –viz., and marriage. Everton have got four men in the trial match, so they ought to be satisfied. The inclusion of Geary has given the greatest satisfaction, as there is not the slightest doubt that a slim built Nottingham youth has returned to his best form, and you all know what that is.

March 16 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton Win the Championship
Great interest centred in this match, the last of the League serious, so far as Everton were concerned, as the championship was partially involved in the issue. Over 800 excursions journeyed from Liverpool to Burnley, the scene of operations, and when they arrived there found snow falling, and the ground in a slippery condition with pools of water in places. The company was a large one, numbering about 10,000 and excitement very great. Punctually to time Mr. Hughes gave the signal for the following teams to commence hostilities . Burnley: - Kay goal, Walker, and Lang, backs, McFettridge, Spiers, and Stewart half-backs, Haresnape Bowes, Nichol, Marr, and Hill, forwards, Everton: - Jardine, goal, McLean, and Doyle, Lochhead, Holt (captain), and Parry, backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Geary put the ball in motion and Chadwick, went to the front, where Milward put behind. Latta ran down on the other wing, in company with Brady, who got round Lang, but without avail. Back went Latta and sent across, Milward again driving behind the goal. Hill and Marr then opened the Burnley attack, Lochhead deemed best to send into touch. This effered no check to the home left wing, and McLean also kicked into touch for which, he was jeered. Burnley were persistent. McFetteridge ran the ball out, and then Doyle smartly arrested a strong raid. Everton left wing relieved and in trying to improve matters Geary received a nasty kick on the knee, which seemed likely to render him hors de combat, out, fortunately for Everton, he soon recovered. Burnley were driven back after a slight delay, the ball being sent to Kay by Lang and from the custodian's kick Harnesnape got right down, but shot wide. Parry cleared his lines, and Chadwick and Milward worked beautifully, and became so threatening that Lang was driven to give a corner. Everton attacked with much persistence for a long time, during which corners were liberally conceded. Brady once put through, but was offside, and shortly after Geary tested Kay with a fine straight shot. Everton returned in taking style on either wing but to no purpose. By means of long passing, Burnley gained ground, but Doyle barred their progess, whilst Lochhead attended to renewed aggression. Latta soon dashed off, betting Lang, and Kay ran out far to clear. Everton swooped down again and narrowly missed scoring, whilst Chadwick justed topped the bar, followed by a good aim by Geary. Burnlet broke off on the right in a menacing manner. Doyle intercepted, but Hill came out strongly and called upon Jardine to stop a hard shot. Some good work by Parry gave Everton an advantage, and for some time grand forward play harassed the Burnley defence. Hill before any damage was done, raced off, and Jardine had to use his feet despite grand play on the part of Holt. Again Lochhead failed to grapple with Hill and Marr, and this led to a corner. Thus encouraged, the home left wing tried their luck once more, but Marr was stopped by Doyle when closing in. a run by Geary was responded to by Marr, who seemed one too many for Lochhead but who found his peer in Doyle. A nice pass by Lochhead, however, stoned for other failures and Chadwick ensued Kay to fist out from a rasping shot. A perforement soon repeated. The gam tended strongly in favour of Everton, the attack being well knit but Kay saved out of a remarkably tough scrimmage, corners again being the order of the day. From now to the interval Burnley took up a strong position but the Everton defence proved strong, and ends were changed with nothing scored after much keen play. On resuming Mclead depossessed Hill and Marr, and Everton took up the attack in earnest, and seemed certain of making a capture every moment of a determined onslaught. Chadwick made a fine shot, and a close scrimmage, however Burnley clearing their lines, and attack by Burnley resulted in Haresnape took full advantage in a sharp return, and scoring, retailing goal, tremendous was the shout, which acknowledge the drawing of first blood, but well the cheers has subsided, Brady and Latta were away, and Geary getting hold, darted off and equalised in the Everton centre forwards unique style, such a fine effort evoking a heavy cheer. McLean pulled up Burnley left, and gave to Geary, who run down again, Lang checking him. Geary tried a shot a moment later, and so did Milward, and these efforts led to a hot scrimmage, out of which Kay was beaten for the second time. The next incident was the unpleasant one of Parry being kicked, which caused him pain for the rest of the game. Everton seemed to have fairly broken up the Burnley formation now, and attacked to continuously that it looked only a question of how many goals they would win by, but after surviving many escapes, Burnley, seven minutes from the finish rallies surprisingly. Hill led the way Haresnape took up the theme, and after Jardine had fisted out he conceded a corner, and from the tussle that ensued, Bowes scored. There was but five minutes left, and on resuming Stewart closed in and beat Jardine with a high shot-amidst a scene of wild excitement. Latta made a good attempt to save the match. He ran down and centred into goal, but Geary could not quite reach the ball, and the game- a grand one terminated in a plucky and sensational win for Burnley by 3 goals to 2.

The Everton should be beaten by Burnley after having about three parts of the game in their favour, was a sad disappointment and came with so much surprise that it seemed difficult to reconcile oneself to the fact that Burnley had really won. However, all will admire the courageous manner in which, Burnley kept pegging away right up to the finish. Here is an object lesson in the merit of never faltering as long as their is any time, however, short, in hard; and to some respects the victory was deserved though the opinion that the better team had lost found pretty general expression, even among Burnleyites. It was a splendid game, and hardly a more perfect one could be hoped for on such a field of play, where a thin and treacherous coating of soft mud covered a frost bound subsoil, rendering footing always uncertain. Both sides were heartily in earnest and each appeared to have undergone special preparation for the crucial test. The issue was momentous for either club. With Everton victory made the championship for them, independent of what Sunderland might do with Burnley success secured them at least a firm place outside the last four. That Everton did not win was no fault of their forwards for Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward were in fine feather, and furnished an attack as compact and clever as these five have over created, which means a great deal. Brady and Latta were equal to Chadwick and Milward, and yet the left wing were at their best; and Geary, though but early on gave further striking evidence that he has thoroughly regained his form. Holt, if anybody could be so described, was the hero of the match, and was never nonplussing an adversary almost without an effort with superb judgement. Parry too was successful until he got kicked; but Lochhead was disappointing, and knew what it was to be beaten on many occasions. Doyle and Mclean maintained their prestige up to the last few fatal minutes, when their kicking was not strong enough. Jardine display was brilliantly at times, but not without blemish, through he cannot be held solely to blame for the defeat. The fault rather lay in the oversight of not strengthening the defence, especially as Parry was handicapped after he had been hurt. For Burnley, all played with dash. Kay kept goal better than Jardine, Walker was stronger than Lang in defence and the halfbacks were inferior to those of Everton. Burnley's attack were mainly effective on the wings. Nichol having no chance against Holt and Hill and Marr being very sprightly. But ‘'All's well the ends well.'' and Everton though they would have added lusts to their shield had they won are to be congratulated on attaining the League championship.

March 16 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The return match between these teams was played at Anfield on Saturday, and the homesters won by 5 goals to nil the identical result of the first match. Everton: - Smalley goal, Cresswell and Dobson (captain), backs, Robertson, Martin, and R. Jones half-backs, Wyllie, Murray, McGregor, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.

March 19 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The league champions, put in appearance last evening at Ardwick, to play the local club, the game being played by the means of well's lights. There was a large attendance. In the first portion of the game Elliott scored for Everton, they again attacked and McMillan added a second goal. Ardwick thus had a look in, but nothing resulted and at half-time Everton lead by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Ardwick attacked, and McColl scored a splendid goal. When time was called, the score beening Ardwick 1 goal Everton 2 goals.

March 21 st 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
Now that the handsome League Cup and the honours attached to the holding thereof are safe, let us rest and be thankful in the knowledge that after persistent but inadequately rewarded efforts and a prodigal expenditure of funds, Everton are at last the Champions of the football league. It was, however, fondly hoped that the finals would have been more auspicious, and that Everton would wind up with a brilliant victory, but the fates were against the seaport, and what with the wretched state of the ground at Turt-Moor and the reckless vigour of the Burnleyites, Everton were due to share the fate which had be-taken North End a week before. But the Evertonians were not alone the victims of disaster, for simultaneously valiant Notts were disposing of the Rovers in more trenchant fashion; whilst on the banks of the Wear Sunderland were rustlessly destroying the last hopes of Preston North End than the much-valued trophy might remain a while longer in the proud town. It is indeed an ill wind that blows nobody good, and thus by the turnely services of Notts and Sunderland the Liverpool-champions have reached the highest pinnacle of football names; and let us join in the means of congratulations on the result. But whilst the event was robbed at the last moment of the anxiously-desired finishing touch, it must be remembered that Everton have suffered enormously from the wear and tear of the season, whist Geary and others will bear the scars of last Saturday's encounter for many a day. The Evertonians are no doubt thankful that so far as they are concerned, the ardious struggle is over. Their position is placed beyond doubt, and although the championship has not been won in the style which marked the career of the North Enders in the season 1888-89, it must be borne in mind that there is now greater equality among the clubs comprising the League, and that no such feat as a team winning the whole of the twenty-two engagements is ever likely to occur again. Everton broke down during the harardous Scotland tour, and far for many a week the team was in the direst strait; but although forewarned by the disaster which befell their most formidable rivals, North End ventured south, heedless of the dangers of overworking a team from which so much was expected at a later date, and now they have pause to reflex upon the result. The Everton Reserves team were at home doing duty against Manchester, and singularly the scoring was exactly the same as in the previous fixture –five goals to nil against the Mancunians. Everton were particularly good form, and ran out very easy winners.

March 23 rd 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
At Anfield on Saturday these League teams met for the third time this season, Everton having won each of the two previous games, scoring in the aggregate 6 goals top 1. Whether it was owing to the clashing of the Liverpool races of the sixpenny gate of that the extre League fixture prove in vertebrate after the stern and real league bouts. Certain it is that the venture excited only a mild stir as things go, at Everton, and the attendance was the comparatively small one of 4,000 or 5,000. Neither side was fully equipped though both teams were strong and were as follows: - Everton: - Jardine goal, McLean, and Doyle backs, Lochhead, Holt (captain), and Camobell, halfbacks, Wylie, Geary, Robertson, Chadwick, and Milward. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Rose, goals, Griffiths, and Mason, halfbacks, Lowder, Allen, and Brodie half-backs, Wykes, Thomson, Worrall, Wood and Booth forwards . Almost following the visitors kicked off Chadwick and Milward created a chance but Robertson, instead of taking the ball found it cannon off his leg and roll over the line. Wolverhampton moved down rapidly, when McLean and Campbell each stayed rushes. Milward returned in a strong run, but was challenged by Griffiths and driven to put behind. On the other wing Wylie sent in a better shot, Rose saving finely. Worrall and his left wing joined in a neat combination, but Holt administered a check and Doyle cleared. Returning, hands were given against Allen, from which Everton brought much pressure to bear upon goal. Milward placed straight across to Wylie who narrowed for goal when Chadwick tested Rose severely with a clever overhead kick. Chadwick again missed scoring by a mere shave and this led up to a dashing bit of play by Wood and booth. Jardine fisting out masterfully from Wood. The visitors were not dispatched and scrimmaged massively, when Doyle extricated the ball out of a tangle. Thomson closed in, but put wildly over the goalline. Play now went greatly in favour of Everton, but a couple of corners only were the reward. Wykes next forced his way to the front, where he was completely nonplussed by McLean and whilst Milward and Holt, the former owing to a kick, were momentarily absent, the Wanderers indulged in some pretty forward work on the left, though not permitted to make a very forward advance. Good as this combined run was, Geary and Wylie replied with one of more merit, the latter winding up with a shot which, went behind the net. Good back and halfback play enabled Everton to attack persistently on either wings, but all these efforts were foiled through this slowness of Robertson, who seemed destined to be ever just a few second s too late. During the pressure, Wolverhampton displayed excellent defence, blocking the ball very sharply, Mason especially being inciasivein his work. Griffiths as this period got accidentally hurt, but resumed after a brief pause. Chadwick shit into Rose hands. Doyle then had to interpose, as Wykes and Thomson looked threatening, and Wylie and Geary racing down, Chadwick again caused Rose to use his hands. Geary followed by shooting just outside, and as the interval arrived, despite strong and energetic play by Lochhead, the ‘'Wolves'' left wing got within range, but were forced to let the ball roll over the line. Crossing over with nothing scored.

Everton infused more spirit in their play Geary put over the bar very closely. Holt held the Wanderers in check for a while, but they too, grew determined and though Lochhead and Doyle each attended to rushes, Wykes had a couple of shots at goal the latter aim rising from a corner. Play degenerated somewhat into struggling order but tending to the advantage of the home team, as Griffiths had some difficulty in holding Geary in check, whilst Chadwick took a corner and ran in to shoot over the bar. Thomson and Wykes made a gallant effort to open the scoring, but Doyle and Mclean intercepted some effective tackling and Geary sprinted grandly, from the halfline and scored with a long shot. At the other end, Thomson was disappointed with a good shot. Robertson at length did the right thing, by placing to Chadwick, who compelled Mason to concede a corner. Robertson also tried a very good aim at goal. A fine run by Wood, Booth and Thomson was next very near equalising, as Lochhead gave a corner, and the place kick was sop accurate that the goal was shielded with difficulty. The subsequently play was even with much equality, both sides showing good points. Almost the closing incident was in Jardine saving when on his knees splendidly, and a fairly interesting game resulted in win for Everton by a goal to nil. All the Evertonians internationals were seen in good form. Holt was almost as brilliant as he was in the Burnley match-indeed he got through all the work that was necessary in his consummate style. Chadwick and Milward were in their customary compact conditions. With the exception that Milward was handicapped for a time through receiving a hard kick early on. Geary partnered Wylie, and there two seem admirably suited to each other, both being speedy and been shooters, and the right wing was thus generally brilliant. Geary seemed thoroughly at home at inside right, and as this is his position presumably in the trial match of Whites and Stripes at Birmingham tomorrow, he had excellent practice, and should be very much in evidence in championing the cause of the stripes. Robertson was a disappointing centre forward. He had plenty of chances, but could take very few of them, and considering his weakness, it is surprising that the Everton attack should have proved so firm. Lochhead, Campbell, Doyle, and McLean, all shaped well particularly the latter, and Jardine had the felicity of keeping his goal intact. The ‘'Wolves'' were well balanced no department preforminating Everton by way of a welcome change from league tussle, play Vale of Leven on Friday and the Corinthians on Saturday, both at Home. Parry meanwhile played for Wales against Scotland, at Wrexham in front of 4,000 spectators, Scotland winning by 4 goals to 3. Parry was injured in the first half and had to retired during the second portion.

The Liverpool Football Echo.
J. Marsden has made applications to the Everton Club to have his engagement cancelled. The club, however, is deaf to his appeal. Marsden will have to play for Everton next season, or remain idle. Although Maxwell returned the cheque for £100 given to him by the Everton Club, the latter body have the young Scothcman's signature to a piece of paper, and will probably stop him playing for any other English club who might want his services. The Everton committee have offered to assist the Hospital Saturday Fund. They will play a match for its benefit either in April or May –the latter if they can get the sanction of the Association. A Scotch Club will probably be brought up. League Champions with only 29 points. Once again have the Everton boys failed to win a match at a critical period. They played a splendid game last Saturday, but still they were beaten just on the post. What was the reason ? The players blamed Jardine. He certainly did not play up to the mark, but he was not altogether in fault. Bad generalship was to blame, more than anything. Holt should have strengthened his defence, especially after the mishap to Parry. Jack played s spanking game, but as a captain he is at a discount. Hannah would have done different. Once more some of the Everton players were guilty of too much shouting on the field, a fault they should try and remedy. It was hard lines certainly to be beaten but they had no right to abuse Jardine in the manner they did after the match. McLean and Doyle both played well, but we think Doyle might have done better had he been less excited. Lockhead was very weak, indeed, and we think it is now time that he was tried in his proper position. The forward line was brilliant in the extreme, Brady at once showing the critic that he is the man for inside right. Chadwick was the hardest worker, but the most brilliant was Geary, whose play, especially in the second half, was wonderful. When he scored the first goal didn't they shout, “Well played Geary.” It reminded one of the beginning of last season, when he electrified the football world. His return to form is marvelous, and at the present he is a superior man top either Lindley or Southworth. Latta was good, but we have seen Milward centre a lot better. What was the member of the team who exclaimed, “My reputation's gone?.”

Back to goalkeeper; Why didn't you stop that shot? Goalkeeper; How the devil could I stop it when ten o' yer missed it afoar me?”

March 23 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
Played at Tonge. Everton sent a team to Tonge, near Middleton to try conclusion with the Manchester league. Cheap trips had been advertised to run from Manchester and surrounding towns, and as a consequence there was a large number of spectators present when operations commenced. The weather was cold and bleak, and in the first portion of the game McGregor scored for Everton. They again attacked but nothing resulted. The league team then had a look in, but only a corner resulted. They again attacked, and had very hard lines, in not scoring, but only a corner resulted. From now up to half-time Everton had the best of the game, Halt-time Manchester nil, Everton 1. Full-time Manchester nil, Everton 3. Everton: - Angus, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, R. Jones and Robertson, half-backs, Hammond, Murray, McGregor, McMillan, and Elliott forwards .

March 23, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post
At Everton. At the interval neither side has scored. On resuming the game was better contested, play being even. Geary first scored for Everton. Play continued even and enjoyable. There were not many exciting incidents; in fact, play was tame, but good individual efforts were made by head and Chadwick for their respective side. Nothing more was scored, Everton 1 goal Wolverhampton Wanderers 0.

Football Notes
Everton are still pinning for a few more Scotchmen. Recently Maxwell, of Cambuslang, had a £100, note left with him as an inducement to sign for the champions of the league. He, however, ultimately refused the offer after consulting his friends and remains at home for the present.

March 24, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post
At Anfield. Both teams were short of their full representation. The game was a thoroughly one-sided affair, the visitors scarcely ever being in evidence. Geary scored the first, and two others were obtained by Chadwick. Result Everton 3, Vale of Leven.

March 25 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
A match between teams, whites and Stripes was played at Perry-bar, Birmingham yesterday, Whites winning by 4 goals to 2, Geary scored for Whites.

March 28 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Notwithstanding the boisterous weather of yesterday morning a crowd of something approaching 13,000 put in an appearance at Anfield road in the afternoon to welcome the first match Everton have had with a scotch league club since that combation was formed. Neither side was fully represented, Rankine and Whitelaw being away from the visitors, while Everton had somewhat of a mixed lot, as will be seen from the following: - Everton: - Jardine, goal, Hannah (captain), and McLean backs, Kirkwood, Camobell, and Lochhead, half-backs, Wylie, Gordon, Geary Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Vale of Level: - Wilson, goal, Smith, and Sharp, backs, Sharp, McNichol, and Cornock halfbacks, Cowan, McVean, Graham, Mills, and Bruce. A crosswind blew over the field. The Vale won the toss, and Geary started against the wind. The game was not a couple of minutes old when Wilson had to fist a beauty from Geary, and that, too, after the van of the homesters had passed the backs. The Vale then had a look in, and after Jardine had attended to Bruce, Hannah was cheered as he drove the attackers backs and punted down. The home left fed by Lochhead trundled along, and from a centre by Milward, Geary must have scored had he not slipped when in the act of shooting. From a free kick in midfield nicely placed by Campbell. Wilson and his backs had to keep on the alert, and the internationals goalkeeper's abilities were brought out, as he saved three sure goals to an inexperienced custodian. Cowan now sprained his ankle and had to retire. Graham, Bruce, and Mills made attempts to make headway in the centre and left, but were tackled by Kirkwood and Hannah. Geary getting the latter from Chadwick showed finely in a dashing run, but his final kick was interfered with owing to his foot getting struck in the ground. Play continued for some time very even, but eventually Gordon made Wilson save a nicely judged overhead shot. Jardine saving twice in quick succession. Everton settled down to different and correct work, and confined play to the visiting end, but was not until Milward centred accurately that Wylie was successful with a shot out of the reach of Wilson. The performance was hailed with loud cheering. A substitute (McAdam) for Cowan now appeared and he immediately set to work Jardine having to run out and intercept him. Despite the fact that a strong wind favoured the Vale men, Everton completely hemmed them in their own half, and Chadwick further increased the lead of the homesters with one of his well known screws, Wilson failing to reach the ball before it went through. Half-time now arrived, with the score Everton 2 goals, Vale of Level nil. Graham restarted for the Vale, who got well down, but were driven back by the defensive tactics of the homesters, and play was taken to the other end, where a trio of shots was carried outside the posts by the wind. Coming again, however, Everton completely swarmed in front of Wilson, whose long reach held him in good stead in fisting out no fewer than a dozen capital shots. A free kick removing danger, Cornock passed down to Bruce and Mills but only a barren corner was conceded them. After the homesters had a corner to their credit, the Vale broke away, and after being twice frustrated by Hannah and Lochhead, Bruce sent one past. Geary forced a second corner and then Chadwick skied one over the crossbar. Everton Centre again shone brightly and Wilson had to steer a low shot from him. The Vale men were now showing up better and were often trouble some, a fine shy by McVean bring out Jardine to negotiate it. Campbell was evidently in good lobbing form, and often troubled Wilson. At length Everton were again successful, a high dropping shot by Chadwick beating Wilson for the third time amidst the greatest excitement. which had hardly subsided before the Scotchmen had a couple of corners placed to their credit. A high shot by Graham was claimed as having gone under the bar, but the referee thought otherwise and disallowed it. No further scoring took place and a fairly good game finished in favour of Everton by 3 goals to nil.

Everton v Corthians- A rumour having got around that the Corinthians would not appear at Anfield this afternoon, we are officially informed that a strong team arrived at Liverpool last night. It may also be stated that the Everton eleven will be considerably stronger than the one, which did battle against the Vale of Level yesterday, and the contest promise to be the best of their three holiday engagements.

March 28 th 1891. The Liverpool Courier.
Now that the battle of the League has been fought and won, the victorious Evertonians have settled down to the routine of ordinary club life, and there so longer exists that anxiety and strain which characterised the more arduous worth of the season. This with light hearts they embarked in a “friendly” on the home ground with their old opponents, the Wolverhampton Wanderers, whom by the way they had twice beaten in League games, and still the “Wolves” finished their season only three points behind the champion team holding. Holding such credentials, the play was bound to be of the highest order of merit, and as was perhaps only fitting, history repeated itself to the letter, so far at least as the previous games between the clubs was concerned. Still, neither of the clubs were fully represented, for Everyone were without the services of Hannah, Parry, Latta, and Brady, whereas the Midlanders were minus Bowdier, Baugh and Flecther, and thus the chances were fairly equalised. The champions played a dashing game at the outset, but although repeated attacks were made Hope-Robertson (who took Geary place as centre) was unable to pilot the ball through, and eventually the teams crossed over without any score being made. Now Geary, who occupied Brady's place on the inside right, began to exhibit that brilliant form which characterised his play a year ago, and which has since gained for him the highest of international honours. Undaunted by the resolute defence by which the “Wolves” met each succeeding attack, be at length shot home, and as this was the only point scored in an admirably contested game, Everton again won by one goal to nothing. And now the Wanderers have been beaten in three successive encounters by an aggregate of seven goals to nil.

March 30 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The second of the three Easter matches was played at Anfield road on Saturday, before another great crowd approaching 12,000. The wind was not so strong as on the previous day, while the sun did not interfere with the play. The ground also was in good condition. The Corinthians under went a great change from which suffered defeat by the Liverpool champions on January 24 at the Oval. The only alterations in the home teams were the substitution of Doyle and Holt for Kirkwood and Campbell. The following were the teams: - Everton: - Jardine, Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs, McLean, Holt, and Lochhead, halfbacks, Wylie, Gordon, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Corinthians: - Seton, goal, Cowie, and Owen, backs, Saunders, Wreford, Brown, and Winlworth, half-backs, Pryce-Jones, Palairet, Lindley, Whittle, and Parry, forwards. Everton losing the toss, Holt started towards the Oakfield road end. The first piece of play was a fine display of the visitors from the midfield line, the halfbacks of the homesters falling to stop their progess, but Parry shot outside. This seemingly aroused the leaguists as they kept in front of Seton quite three minutes. Lindley eased the pressure and parted to his left wing, who were exceedingly dangerous, when Jardine rushed out and kicked clear. Milward raised the hopes of the crowd as he darted down, but in attempting to heel the ball to Chadwick he accidentally slipped. After Chadwick had shot wide, both Gordon and Wylie centred neatly, but Seton fisted the leather away, Lochhead and Doyle responded gallantly to the strong attack of the visitors and then a screw shot by Milward was ably cleared by Cowan, who was playing solid defence. The game continued to be evenly contested for ten minutes, during which both goalkeepers had to respond to the calls made upon them. At length Lochhead getting possession parted to Geary, who in turn crossed to Wylie, but the latter's good screw was only converted into a barren corner. Bearing strongly down the visitors, Everton had a free kick, which was so nicely placed by Doyle that Own headed the ball through his own goal thus giving Everton the lead after half an hour's play. Thorougly aroused by the reverse, Jones and Palairet showed some short passing tactics which, culminated in Jardine, McLean, and Doyle having to save three sharp shots. Everton now strove hard to augment their score, and were often dangerous, but the strong back play of Cowie frustrated their efforts. Just before the interval, Milward and Chadwick came within an ace of scoring, but the persistence whisting of the referee saw the score at halftime –Everton 1 goal, Corinthians, nil.

On charging over Lindley sent the ball rollingly, and Hannah soon had to save of the visiting left. Geary them got his forwarsds in the fine line, and they showed a fine passing movement, but very erratic shooting spoiled then of many chances. Lindley now raced down, but was pulled up by Doyle, and a trio of shots went high over the crossbar of Seton's charge. However, Everton had not yet shot their best, as the homesters returned to the attack, and when 15 yards from goal, Geary fairly nonpussed Seton with a sourcher. The achievement hailed with cheers in the large concourse of people. Coming down the left from the centre line, Winkworth lobbed to Parry, who shook the crossbar with a regular clinker. Holt and Lindley having tried their capabilities against one another, Milward again waded through, but his final was faulty, and then Gordon hit the upright. The erratic shooting of the homesters continued in the ascendant, as at least six seemingly fine chances were thrown away. A change now came over the locals, as they not only sent in very accurately, but Wylie scored a beauty. Both sides having corners cleared, Holt was cheered as he trickily brushed aside Lindley and sent the ball forward, but it was forced over the line. The Corinthians having had a spell at pressing. Doyle eased by a long kick, and Geary tipped the bar with a swift shot. The game continued very in interesting up to the finish, but no further scoring took place, and Everton were hailed victors by 3 goals to nil.

The supporters of this year's League champions will be satisfield with the doings of the club last week for not only have they overthrown the Vale of Level and Corinthians by 3 goals to nil in each case-and that, too, when they were not powerfully represented-but four of them have so far pleased the executive of the English Association, that they will carry the colours of the Rose against the Thistle at Blackburn next Saturday. The Vale of Leven have undergone great chances since they made their bow to an Everton crowd. In the early part of last year, for, instead of being all well developed footballers, they are now, with four exceptions, only youthful players, and bid fair to bloom into a combination which will have to be reckoned with before next season is far advanced. Whitelaw and Rankine were unable to play, letting in Smith and McVean, and all round they played a plucky, and at time very accurate game. Of course as in the days of the past, Wilson by his agility and coolness between the posts, acquitted himself in a polished manner and so again saved his side from receiving a bigger knock. For the winners Jardine, what little he had to do, did well, so also did the backs. Of the halves, there was little to choose between then, never relaxing their efforts right up to the finish. Kirkwood was highly enlogised for his accuracy in feeding the van of the homesters. Campbell was often dangerous with his lobs, while Lochead prevented the Leven right wing getting too close in forward, there was no selfishness shown all combining well, and gaving Wilson great trouble. Geary, in the centre, was in tiptop form, but did not play his hardest. Wylie and Gordon were good partners, and the formers centre could hardly have been improved upon. Chadwick was in an excellent shooting vein. The Corinthians arrived with but ten men-five of them being strangers to an Everton audience, but a substitute was found in J.Whittle. the opening saw the Southerners in a very telling short-passing movement. Which looked like gaining them something tangible, but the home backs raised the siege, and enabled play to be kept in the visitors quarters. So well did Cowrie (right back) shape. However, that all the efforts of Chadwick and Milward were frustrated, and it was not until Doyle nicely placed a free kick, that Everton notched the initial point of the game, which was all the scoring up to half-time. The second portion was as eargly contested, as the first half, and the respective goalkeepers had an equal amount of work to do. Geary after a great deal of inaccurate shooting by the Everton forwards, gave us an insight of what he is capable of ding by darting through and beating Seton with an exceedingly swift grounder, to the consternation of that custodian and the delight of the crowd. Wylie also made no mistake when he scored a third point in a meritorious manner, which brought the termination of a interesting game. For the amateurs, Seton showed many good qualities between the posts, but had no chance with the shots that beat him. Cowrie was a little gem at back his trackling, and clean kicking being as good as any seen at Anfield this season. Wreford Brown was the best of the halves. Pryce Jones, Palairet, and Parry were very deadly in their shooting and often came near scoring. Lindley made a commanding centre, and showed good speed and resource, but Holt eventually got the upperhand of him, and kept him well in check. Jardine for Everton, was in good goalkeeping mood, and worked some splendid shots in a masterly way Doyle, at back was in the accustomed form, and had it not been for him, a clean sheet would have been the result. Hannah also did yeoman services, in fact all the defence was worthy of praise, and to it alone the palm belongs. The combination of the forwards, was not of that order which, has made the League champions name so famous, although there were many glimpse of good individual play shown by each of the five today Everton will finish their Easter matches at Anfield road, and will have as their opponents West Bromwich Albion. The kick off is at 2-30 prompt.

March 30 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Played at Buxton, Kitchen scored twice before half-time. Resuming the game was well contested, but Everton could not break through. Result in favour to Buxton by 2 goals to nil.

March 30, 1891. The Liverpool Birmingham Daily Post
AT Everton. The visitors were strongly represented, and in expectation of seeing a good match some eight thousand spectators were presented. Both teams played a splendid game. Everton scored the first point, one of the Corinthians backs heading through his own posts. Though the home team continued to have the better of the play, they were unable to score further in the first half. Changing over, the play continued to be fairly even, but Everton soon pressed, and Geary scored a second goal, after a fine run; and Wyllie added a third soon after, the goalkeeper allowing the ball to roll through. Nothing further of note took place, Everton thus winning by two goals to nil.

March 31, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post
This League match was played at Liverpool. Geary scored the first goal after ten minutes plays' from a splendid run, and five minutes later Groves equalised. Nothing more was scored up to half-time. In the second half the visitors were almost continually penned in their own quarters, but it was a minute off time before Geary scored the second. Result Everton 2 goals, Albion 1.

March 31 1891. The Liverpool mercury
This match formed the Easter Monday attraction at Anfield, and was at pactiar in portance. Originally Renton would have been at Everton yesterday, but owing to the famous Scotch club's suspension for professionalism the arrangement was impossible of fulfillment. So West Bromwich Albion was negotiated with. The ‘'Throstles'' have the distinction of being one of the two clubs that manged to defeat Everton at Anfield in a league contest, and accordingly, despite the fact that the Liverpoolians won easily when at West Bromwich, the midland team is now held in mu8ch respect among Evertonians especially since Groves has thrown in his lot with them. Another large company assembled numbering about 10,000. The teams were Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs McLean, Holt, and Lochhead, halfbacks, Brady, Gordon, Geary, Wylie, and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, McCullouch, and Horton, backs, Dyer, Perry, and Bayliss, halfbacks, Pearson Mcleod, Groves, Nicholls, and Bassett forwards. The ground, of course consequent on the fine weather was in excellent condition but a strong cross wind militated against perfect play. Groves kicked off, and Brady and Gordon at once went to the front on the right. McCollough fouled Brady, but the latter yet tested Reader with a lobbing shot. Groves headed a couple of sprints, but was pulled up; and Brady gave further evidence that he was in good form by pitching play in front of goal. Where Wylie forced a corner, as the outcome of some, good heading work. The pressure confirmed, and Milward sent in a fine long shot, which Reader cleared with his fist. Bassett got under weight, but failed to get out of reach of Doyle, and Everton went away, Wylie missing a chance. The home team kept close up, a corner falling from a judicious pass by Hannah. Angus went out to meet the ball from a spurt down the centre, and Geary raced off in one of his particular runs. Horton checked him right under goal, McCulloch getting the ball away, but in the tussle that ensued Geary put himself in command, and scored after 20 minutes play. West Bromwich were seen to much advantage after this reverse. They had a turn down the field, but were held in check. Everton then looked like forging further ahead, but Horton chiefly prevented this, and then the visitors by dint of good work, got through on the right, Bayliss passing to Nicholls, and Holt unfortunately turning the ball into goal and equalising. Everton had to stand the test of a persistent attack, as the Albionites evinced great quickness in moving the ball about well in the home quarters. Brady at length found an escape supported by Geary and Milward, hands against Geary robbing Everton of a likelihood of scoring. A pretty bit of pressing by the visitors was ominous to Everton but Groves went a little wide in his aim. McCulloch came in for a reprimand for the way in which, he arrested Geary's progess, and soon some grand play on both sides culminated in Milward being disappointed in finding a brilliant shot from the trouchline just missing the mark. Geary tried a low shot. Whilst Milward again failed at a long range, west Bromwich right wing made an effort, but Doyle was safe, and the way in which, Everton brought pressure to bear on goal created plenty of enthusiasm, holt now received an accidental kick on the mouth by Groves, and on resuming Doyle first attended to Bassett and then ran in to pull the left wing. Milward was next nearly bring off a coup with a groundling shot, and the interval came with the score one all.

Holt restarting, the ball and Everton became very busy on the left, where Milward and Wylie each found the wind too strong for high shots. Reader picked up from a scrimmaged low aim, and West Bromwich were enabled to change the scene of action, McLeod calling upon Angus with a good shot, the ball being tipped over the bar. Wylie replied with the excellent judgement, but Gordon did not make the best use of the opportunity, and put behind. Everton however, was determined, and the visitor's goal had many escapes, particularly when Hannah placed with a hugh kick into the goalmouth. Lochhead nonplussed Bassett and Nicholls, but this was no help to Everton, and playing a capital game, the Albion forwards sent in a succession of well directed shots, all of those coming in Angus's way being properly cleared. McLean, for Everton, took up the parable again, and gave to Geary, who scewed in so truly that Reader was forced to concede a corner. Still bearing down, McLean shot wide, and Brady quietly lobbed just over the bar. Nicholls in conjunction with Bassett, displayed great energy and skill in the interest of the visitors, but without avail, and Everton returned again and again shooting generally in the right direction, but invariably at long range, in easying which Reader proved an expert. Some neat play between Wylie and Milward gave West Bromwich difficulty defence work, the ball being repeatedly scrimmaged up to goal, which had many marvelous escapes, both Horton and Mcculloch using their fest with great precision. The Albion essayed a breakaway, but McLean checked them and on Groves running down, centre, Doyle promptly interposed. Gordon had a chance but put wildly over the bar. Groves, Bassett and Nichiolls became very threatening as Hannah and Lochhead were in turn beaten, but Nicholls was compelled to put only a couple of shots outside. Everton spurted without the desired effect, but West Bromwich soon had a shy, Pearson beating Angus only to find the point irregular. Brady at the other end, and passed to Geary, who scored and won the match just on time. Everton 2 West Bromwich one.