November 1890

November 1, 1890. The Belfast News Letter.
Captain Hannah, of Everton, was in Scotland looking after a new player while his club was being beaten, and Latta, though playing again, has not recovered from his late accident, so that Everton was more weakly represented than it has previously been this season. The Liverpool club has secured a grand new forward in Hope Robertson, of Patrick Thistle, at the cost of £3 10's per week and £50 down.

November 1 st 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Although the Everton spell is broken, there is much to be said in referee to an event which, in the natural order of things, could not possibly have been much longer deferred. The finest organisations that ever existed have repeated tasted the bitters of defeat, but of course where teams are evenly matched the slightest mistake is sufficient to precipitate a reverse, which it would be absurd to assume was a clear indication that the best team had won. The best team “on the day” might possibly be a correct conclusion, and it is on this point that the Everton v West Bromwich Albion controvery hinges. A victory to the Albion meant a great deal, for although an undoubtedly good team, the West Bromwich men have not been particularly fortunate, and they accordingly prepared themselves for a struggle which might improve but could not seriously damage their position. On the other hand, Everton by reason of repeated accidents in the field and otherwise, were in a crippled condition. Hannah, the captain, for instance, was on the sick list, and consequently an absentee, leaving Campbell to fill a position for which by reason of a painful wound, he was totally unfitted. Holt too, although one of the hardiest members of the team, was temporarily “out of sort” and would gladly have stood down, but played nevertheless. Latta, who resumed after an absence of several weeks was also at a disadvantage, and with Brady and Geary reported in bandages, is to be wondered at the Everton, thus for the moment enfeebled, should have sustained a defeat? But it was by the smallest possible margin that Everton lost the game, and had the faintest degree of good fortune attended their later efforts. West Bromwich would not have won by three goals to two. It was certainly an eye-opener for the winners to make three points so rapidly after the start. The hugh crowd was simply dumbfounded, for the whole thing was done as if by magic. Latta, however, scored before half-time, and Doyle afterwards, but although the Evertonians fought desperately to gain the much-covered point, the “Throstles” crowded in goal, refusing to yield, and the Liverpool champions had the mortification to sustain their first League defeat. McLean late of Renton, joins the team against Notts County today, and as Robertson, from Uddingstone, McMillian Vale of Leven, and Elliott, of Partick Thistle, will soon be available, there will be no lack of good men to fill the gaps which the wear and tear of the season has created. The two last named players will appear on the home ground against Earleston today, and should rumor prove correct, the new importation's will take no unimportant part in the game.

November 3 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The important League fixture between Everton and Notts County was played at Trent Bridge on Saturday in the presence of 10,000 spectators. Everton were but weakly represented in consequence of the continued illness of Latta and Holt, and addition, owing to some misunderstanding only ten members of the team arrived in Nottingham by special train. Eventually however, Elliott appeared on the ground and took Latta place at right wing forward. The respective teams were constituted as follows: - Everton :- Angus goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Parry Campbell, and Maclean (new man from Renton), Elliott Brady, Geary Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Notts County :- Toone, goal, McLean, and Hendry, backs, Osborner, Calderhead, and Shelton, half-backs, McGregor, McInnes, Oswald Loucker, and Daft forwards. Geary took the kick off at twelve minutes past three, and about to dash off when Calderhead floored him and hands resulted. This was unproductive of any danger, the right wing being checked by Parry. Notts County took another foul, and the ball was placed in the goalmouth, and then shouldered behind goal. Just a rush by the Everton left and Notts were back again by the aid of Daft and Locker, and aftersome scrimmage, Hannah gave a corner. This was well, put out in, and finely headed out by Parry. Geary was to the front with some pretty dodging, and he was left wing made good progess, Chadwick sending one right into the hands of Toone. The Everton men were now holding a slight advantage, and Chadwick made another try, with no better fortune. Still pressing there was some exciting work, the ball being splendidly passed by McLean who was exhibiting grand form, to Brady, who headed to Geary, and the player with a backheader sent to Toone, who cleared. The visiting backs were defending finely, and the home attack could not make much headway. Milward sprinted grandly, and shot to Toone, who rid himself of the ball, just before the outside left was upon him, and then Geary propelled a real scorcher, which shaved the posts. Had it been more accurately directed, it could not have been stopped. Next play on the part of Daft and Locker was the means of the leather being removed to the other end, where Angus got it away, McLean of the Notts combination, and Hendry were showing up almost as well as their opposing backs, and it was but rarely that they lost themselves. Milward cracked in a couple, the last one being a grand attempt from the touchline, and striking Toone's hand and the crossbar, from whence it bounded over. The ensing corner was of no avail, but still by the exertions of the defence, which was in perfect working order, Everton were enabled to sustain the attack. The home right wing forced its way down and a corner was forced, from which, Daft scored the first goal at a few yards range, Angus being behind the line when he received it. The home men played up well, and were nearly repeating their performance, but they were repelled, and a scrimmage at the other end taking place, Geary shot through with a fast grounder, with which, the backs had no chance. Notts pulled up in hard style, and for about five minutes were clustering round the goal posts, but could not effect an entrance. A rush was made away by the Everton forwards, but no dangerous movement resulted. The right wing being almost powerless, again the home team recovered lost ground, and so severely did they attack that a couple of corners were obtained in less than a minute, both of them, however, passing off without event. The game was of a very fast description, and each end was visited in turn with marvellous rapidity, but although there was any any amount of excitement, there was nothing more. Half-time result Notts County 1 goal, Everton 1 goal.

On restarting, the County hovered for a few minutes in the Everton half, and then the visitors went of in a most determined manner, Milward giving Toone a rare handful, and Brady sending a startling one on to the crossbar. Elliott also had a splendid attempt, and the visitors certainly experienced very hard lines at the period. Off to the opponents end, and there was a hard siege taken up, one of the shots hanging against the crossbar, but a couple of others were wide of the mark. Quickly back again were the Evertonians, and Campbell headed grandly without any success. Daft careered down and passed over to the right wing, where Doyle granted a corner. This was friutless, but a foul given against the visitors proved of more value, as the ball was sent right on to the crossbar, and dropping down it fell on the back of Angus, and went though, the county club thus taking the lead. The kick off was followed by a severe struggle in front of the Notts goal, Milward centering finely, and some very neat shots were sent in the forwards being only a few yards from goal, but Toone at last put an end to all speculation by fisting away. The home team was getting it very hot though, they did not suffer to any tangible extent by it, as they emerged from it scathless. At once they dashed off, and McInnes scored with a very swift low shot, which Angus did not make a very brilliant effect to stop. With the score three to one against Everton they played for all they were worth, but their only gain was in hard lines. Notts were not lagging and would now and then breakaway in ugly rushes. From one of these Oswald received a smart pass from McInnes and put in an electric shot, and Angus could not possibly arrest the ball. However, as Oswald was distinctly offside, this clever bit of play was without point. from this point until the conclusion of the game, the play was very evenly divided, and the pace slackened very considerably. No further score occurring, the game ended with the final result Notts County 3 goals, Everton 1 goal.

November 3 rd , 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton and Earlestown played on the Everton ground in beautiful weather, before about 5,000 spectators. Everton played their new forwards, Robertson and McMillan, and considerable interest was manifested in their play. Everton kicked off, and quickly aroused themselves Robertson passing finely on several occasions. The visitors goal was nearly captured by McGregor, but Appleton saved with several of the home forwards on top of him. The visitors shaped better and Smalley had to throw away a good long shot. Gordon now put in a good run up the right, and centring nicely Hammond scored the first goal with a fast shot, out of the reach of Appleton. Massey was cheered for robbing McMillan and Hammond, but could not prevent the homesters from testing Appleton, who had to concede a corner, which was futile. The visitors had a turn, and Dobson had to put all in to prevent a score Robertson initiated a grand movement taken up by Hammond and McMillan, resulting in the latter scoring the second goal. A foul presented danger for the vistors but Bailey clear, and play settled in the centre. The visitors combined prettily and Cresswell was cheered for foiling them and Everton had another chance and had hard lines, Gordon failing when a score appeared to be score then probable. Up to this point the game had been much in Everton's favour, both Robertson and McMillan proving themselves full of tricks, but Robertson had considerable difficulty to keep his feet. This was not surprising, the ground being very slippery. Robertson received a good pass from Martin, and neatly tricking Appleton had no difficulty in scoring the third goal. He had hard lines directly afterwards with a grand long shot. McMillan put in a grand run, but ‘'hands'' against the visitors spoiled his shot. Earlestown tried hard to break through, but Cresswell and Dobson were hard to pass, and the homesters were again swarming in front of Appleton, and Gordon put on the fourth goal with a grand fast shot. Half-time result Everton Reserves 4 goals Earlestown nil.

In the second half Earlestown kicked off, but Everton had all the opening play. Gordon and McGregor put in a good work, but could not increase the score. Burke was cheered for a pretty dribble up the right; he tried a long shot, well directed, which Smalley grandly saved. Everton again were to the tore, Robertson showing his old failing inability to keep his feet; Hammond and McGregor sent in shots, but could not break through, and Earlestown rushed the leather to the homesters goal, and a sharp tussle took place in front of Smalley; the visitors had no luck, and play was soon in the centre again. McMillian and Gordon showed capital form on the respective wings; McMillan put in a grand centre, from which, Robertson had two or three attempts, but could not effect his purpose. Hammond passed to McGregor, who promptly shot past Appleton, making the score five to nil. Hammond delighted the crowd when Robertson followed up Everton's previous successes by running the sixth through from a pass. Everton again pressed and Hammond ran strongly and centred nicely to Gordon, who scored the seventh. Hardly had the cheers died away then the leather was rushed through again, but the point was disallowed for off-side-a near thing. Result Everton Reserves 7 goals Earlestown nil.

Everton team: - Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain), and Cresswell backs Martin Jones (r), and Jones (WH) half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Robertson, McMillan Elliott, forwards.

November 8, 1890. The Belfast News Letter.
d. Doyle, of Everton, is one of those big man who seemed to be cut out for playing full-back. He first made a great name for himself in Edinburgh Hibernians, but crossed the border to play for Grimsby Town, where his exceptional abilities soon attracted the attention of the Everton managers, and he was asked to play for the Liverpool club. Dan partners Hannah, at full back, and his high kicking gives delight to the habitués of Anfield road. Doyle is sometimes a bit reckous, but he can always be depended upon to make a good show for his side.

November 8 th 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Needless to say, the news of Everton's second defeat created constriction among the home supporters of the club, the feeling being as general as it was intense. But, then, people began to remember that Everton have never yet beaten Notts County on their own domain, but although it might seen that a certain degree of fate attaches to such occurrences, that really had nothing to do with the disastrous events of the day. Although forewarned on the eve of the recent tour, it may be that the Everton committee have been somewhat tardy inproviding the necessary reliefs for disabled men. However, fresh importation's, mostly players of repute, have come to band; still by some strange misadvantage, the team actually entered upon the conflict numerically weak, and some considerable time disposed before the necessary number was completed. Evidently some one had blundered, and this, of course, had a most damaging effect upon the spirits of the team, which was never removed, and to the great regret of the supporters of the club, Everton were beaten by three goals to one. But there still remained a crumb of comfort, for when the full results of the day's events became known it was found that the Evertonians were not the only victims of disaster, and they still held their proud position at the head of the League clubs. The changes were startling, for hardly one of the leading clubs held its own, as will be seen from the following results: - Notts County 3 Everton 1; Sunderland 3 Blackburn Rovers 1; Aston Villa 3 West Bromwich Albion 0; Accrington 1 Preston 1. Surely these results are sensational enough, but as they invest the contrast with fresh and healthy interest, the future will be more eagerly looked forward to than ever. The smallest mercies even are at times “grateful and comforting” and therefore the success of the Everton home team over Earlestown came as a welcome though slender solarium for the disaster at Trent-bridge. Everton played their two new forwards, McMillian and Robertson, and it is satisfactory to learn that both made a successful appearance at the Anfield ground, where, by the way considering the important nature of the event, the attendance was usually large. Both McMillan and Robertson scored during the first half, and with additional goals by Gordon and Hammond, Everton crossed over with the advantage of four goals to nil. By this time Earlestonians were hopelessly beaten, but although they struggled on in hope of gaining a redeeming point they signally failed, and were beaten by seven to nothing, a very different result to that which some years ago, gave rise to the legend Gone, but not forgotten!”

November 10, 1890. The Birmingham Daily Post
At Blackburn before 10,000 spectators, Everton had hands given them close in, but Gow saved. Hannah gave a corner, and at the other end Forbes did ditto. From a foul by Brady the Rovers scored the first goal. Hands gave the Rovers a chance –a corner resulting. Walton shot brilliantly, Smalley giving a corner which was put behind. At Half-time the Rovers and going out, Southworth with a long shot scored the second goal, and then shot just past. A foul gave the Rovers another chance, but the ball was got away, and Everton had a look in. Everton got down, and Chadwick scored, Gow not attempting to stop the shot. The Rovers than took a corner which proved of no use. Final Result Blackburn Rovers 2, goals; Everton 1 goal.

Football Notes.
After the reverse lately experienced by Everton, their defeat at Blackburn by the Rovers will occasion small surprises. Neither side was quite so strong as possible, Brandon being an absentee from the home team, and the gigantic Angus's place was filled by Smalley for Everton. Gow, the Renton keeper, after causing his new friends a good deal of anxiety, did duty for the Rovers and was very soon found some work by the Everton men; but during the greater part of the game the Blackburn Rovers eleven held the upper hand, and at one time were leading by two goals to none. Chadwick scored for Everton towards the close, but the visitors seldom looked like being victors. The Liverpool brigade are in low water just at present, and further trouble is looming ahead for them; but they may be depended upon to come again. The most consisted club of the whole list of Leaguers is Blackburn Rovers, and as usual, they well be amongst the first flight when the season finishes.

November 10 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton played their tenth League match on Saturday at Ewood Park, the splendid new enclosure of the Blackburn Rovers Football Club, in the presence of a tremendous gathering of spectators several thousand having travelled by excursion trains from Liverpool. Thus far Everton have had a much more successful season than their opponents, as they stand accredited with 13 points, their encounters having resulted in 6 wins 2 losses, and 1 draw, whist the Rovers only take 9 points for eight engagements, which have yield 4 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw. They, however, achieved a grand victory over Preston North End a fortnight ago, their second success over that powerful combination, and on the account of course greater speculation was indulged in as to the result of the present encounter that, would otherwise have been the case. At the commencement of the match at Ewood park on Saturday there would be about 13,000 or 14000 spectators present. The teams were presented by the following teams; Blackburn Rovers: - Gow goal, Garstang,, and Forbes, backs, Barton, Dewar, and Forrest half-backs, Lofthouse, Hall, Southworth, Walton and Townley, forwards . Smalley played in goal and Robertson in Latta's place the remainder of the team being as usual . Everton: - Smalley, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Parry Holt, and Mclean, half-backs Robertson Brady, Geary Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Geary kicked off, and after a slight flirt by Robertson and Brady the home Left went away in a tricky style, and the ball was kicked over the line. Again the Rovers put on the force, and the leather this time went over from the right. From a back pass by Geary, Southworth dropped on the ball, but could not make any impression. A clean kick by Hannah and the visiting left pulled up some ground Robertson showing dodgy play. He nearly headed the ball through with a neat movement, Gow fisted out, and Geary then passed to Milward, who shot outside. Hannah gave a corner. This went off without event, and the Everton forwards dashing right away, obtained a couple of corners, neither of them being of advantage. From this Townley and Walton dribbled down, and Brady fouled one of them. A free kick was given and the ball was nicely placed under the bar. It was headed up, and when dropping down Smalley made a brave effort to get at it, when he was busted through and a goal was the result. Everton made another dash, only to be driven back, and the home forwards, sprinting finely away with a grand combination, had a fair chance, Townley shooting miserably. Again there was splendid work by the Rovers forwards, which was cleverly spoiled by Hannah, who placed Southworth offside, when he was dangerously near. Another free kick was granted for hands by Parry, and the insued in a corner, which was of no advantage. Everton now played up in something like from the left wing and centre making rapid tracks for the goal, and getting near but failing to shoot accurately Holt tried, but the shot was ill judged, and Geary put one in which, was headed out in time. By a hard and light shot from Walton, Everton reached the other end, when the corner kick was seen safely off and Robertson was to the front with some tricky maneuvers, which were unfortunately ineffective. Chadwick burst away with a rare dash, and give Gow a tough handful, which took all his energies to combat successfully. The Rovers were away in pretty fashion, and fairly outdid the Everton defence so that finally Walton had no one in front of him except Smalley, then, at only three yards dividing, shot outside half-time result- Blackburn Rovers 1 goal, Everton nil.

With the wind in their favour Everton did not commence any better, the Rovers rushing right down and missing the mark. By the aid of Chadwick and Milward the ground was recovered, and Chadwick and Holt shot rather wide. Some right play by Robertson and Brady took the ball well in, and the left wing forced a corner off Gantang. From this Brady headed on to the upright. Very hard lines. Another corner was obtained and a beautiful high dropping shot fell onto a searching mass of heads in the goalmouth. The players pushed and scrambled and a painful exciting succession of incidents concluded with the removal of the ball. The Rovers were now having much the worst of matters, and could not get over the half-way line. Rain now fell heavily. Everton got a corner, Gow knocked the ball over, and from the succeeding corner McLean just headed over the bar. At length the homesters worked down and Townley was seen in a fine sprint, passing the backs and sending in a real hot shot, which Smalley brilliantly rescue. Off went the Evertonians to the opposite end and Chadwick had a try with a high one, which topped the bar. A free kick followed, and the ball again went over the bar. The home forwards rattled away, and with neat passing, got to within thirty yards, when Southworth shot and scored the ball slipping through Smalley's hands, and leg. This success was regarded by the spectators as a sure indication of the result, and the wind having decreased after the rain, Everton did not have so much of the play, and their opponents by clever combination and determed play reached near the goal several times, only to be repelled by the backs. Chadwick received a pass in midfield, and by dodging backs he got within shooting distance, and sent one in which, was altogether out of Gow's range so much that he did not attempt to stop it. After this the visitors laboured energetically to equalise, but the resistance offered more than counteracted their advances, and as a matter of fact the Rovers took up the greater share of the attack. At the call of time the ball was hovering ambitiously round the Everton posts, and a third goal was only averted by the referee's intervention with the whistle. Final result Blackburn Rovers 2 goals Everton 1 goal.

November 10 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
The match was played at Anfield before about 5,000 persons. The ground was heavy owing to the heavy rains, but when Hammond kicked off, the weather was fine. The visitors were the first to show up prominently, and Angus had to put all in to save. Elliott and McMillan broke away, the former centring splendidly, but the visitors defence was equal to the emergency and the Swifts were again in front of Angus, but were checked and the leather was rushed to the other end. Godwin now put in an appearance for the homesters who were short of Martin. Still the Swift had the best of it. Angus had to deal with a difficult shot, and in doing so gave a foul, which did not help the visitors much. Everton shaped better, and Broomhall had to throw away a good shot. At length Everton had a chance, Kirkwood sending in a clinking long shot from the touchline. Broomhall only partially cleared, and McMillan promptly put it through to the delight of the excited spectators. Gordon now made one of the best efforts ever seen on the Everton ground. Taking the ball off two of the Stoke men in midfield, he passed through the visitors's defence, and sent in a grand shot quite out of the reach of the goalkeeper, placing his side two in front. He was well cheered for the performance, and deserved it. Hardly had the cheers died away than he was seen running up with the leather again. This time he centred to McMillan who shot in past Broomhall after two attempts. Stoke were not idle, and kept pegging away, but showed weakness when in front of goal, consequently the game seemed more one-sided than it really was. Half-time result Everton Reserves 3 goals, Stoke Swifts nil.

Hawkins kicked off, and rushed the ball to the home end, but nothing was done, and play was quickly in front of Broomhall. A foul against Everton, helped them consideratly, and play for a time was in the centre. A miss kick by Dobson nearly brought about a downfall of the home citadel and if the Swifts had only had more luckier been a bit Sharper in front they would have scored. Everton broke away, and McMillan and Elliott rushed the leather up the right, the Swifts tackled them and Elliott came out of the scrimmage grandly with the ball at his toe, and sent in an oblique shot, Which completely beat Broomhall and placed his side four in front. Later on Gordon also scored, and Everton Reserves winning by 5 goals to nil. Everton: - Angus, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, R. Jones and Kirkwood, half-backs, Gordon, Godwin, Hammond, McMillian, and Elliott forwards.

November 11, 1890. The Birmingham Daily Post
A match between these teams was played at Cobridge, Burslem, yesterday, when there was a large attendance of spectators. Brady, Latta, Holt, Geary and Chadwick were absent from the visiting team, their places being taken by other players in the first half the Vale played with the wind in their favour, and soon commenced to attack. Everton, however, speedily retaliated, and give-and-take play followed for some time, the defence on both sides being very good. McGinnis made a shot t the Everton goal, but the ball passed just outside. The visitors gained a throw-in near the goal, but all danger from it was cleverly averted by Coyle. Directly afterwards their goals was jeopardised by a foul, but the forwards got the ball away. After some more even play, the visitors made a good run up the field, and by a long shot Robertson secured the first goal in their favour. Everton again attacked, and, continuing the pressure, McGregor sent in a fine shot, which Davies repulsed; but Milward, coming quickly up, secured second goal, and at half-time, Everton were leading by two goals to none. On ends being changed, the Vale again opened the attack, but it proved fruitless, and the ball being carried to the other end, Davies was called upon to save several times. The visitors continued to press the home players, and at length Davies failed to clear, and the ball was put through for the third time, the point being gained by Milward. An appeal was made on the ground of off-side; but it was not allowed. The game continued to be in favour of the visitors, though they failed to score again. The home team acted mainly on the defensive during the latter part of the game, which ended in a victory for Everton by three goals to none. Teams: - Port Vale: - J. Davies, goal; Barr and Coyle, backs; Poulson, McCrindy and Elson, half-backs; C. Davies, Dean, McGinnis, Ditchfield, and Jones, forwards. Everton: - Augus, goal; Hannah and Doyle, backs; Mclean, Campbell and Parry, half-backs; Gordon, McGregor, Robertson, McMillian, and Milward, forwards.

November 11 1890. The Liverpool Courier
At Burslem yesterday. Everton were without Latta, Brady, Chadwick and Holt. The game opened rather slow, neither team gaining much advantage. The home team had a free kick, but the ball passed over the bar, and at the other end Everton almost scored from a free kick. After another spell of quiet play Gordon grazed the post with a low shot. A similar attempt by Robertson was successful the ball being headed through again a minute later but the point was disallowed. Vale replied, Angus being twice called upon to save. Everton made another attack, the goalkeeper having to handle on three occasions. Gordon and McGregor took the leather up, and Milward scored a second goal with a lighting shot. Half-time arrived with Everton still pressing Gordon being penalised for off side just as the whistle sounded. At the interval Everton led by 2 goals to nil.

Port Vale started the second half vigorously a hot scrimmage-taking place in Everton's goal without result. Everton then took the lead and pressed heavily, giving a couple of corners without result. Gordon sent in a high shot which, the goalkeeper saved. Milward shortly afterwards scored a very easy goal. Port vale than had a look in, and gained two fruitless corner kicks. Everton soon took up the running, and kept the ball almost continually in the home quarters finally winning by three goals to nil.
Everton team:- Angus goal Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Parry, Kirkwood, and Campbell half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Robertson, McMillan and Milward forwards.

Blackburn Standard - Saturday 15 November 1890
The chief topic agitating Accrington football circles this week is the hubbub that a Scotch paper has Made about Maxwell, of Cambuslang, who ought to have joined the reds, but didn't, The paper stated that Maxwell returned home because Accrington had agreed to pay him £3 a week, and then offered him 25S. This is untrue. Maxwell was not offered a penny except the money down when he agreed to come, and last week he saw Mr. Hartley and asked if he could go home as he did not feel comfortable. This Mr. Hartley agreed to, and Maxwell promised to refund the money. The matter was put in the hands of Mr. Frankland, solicitor, and as a result a most ample apology has been made by the paper. It is no doubt galling to Scotia's admirers of the game to have the beet of her players snatched from her, but this will be a warning to all papers beyond the Tweed that it is dangerous to indulge in false and libelous statements. (For the record he sign on 25 October 1890-Bluecorrespondent)

November 15 th 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
At length the inevitable has happened, and Everton, after a series of discouraging disasters, the crowning one of which was sustained at Ewood-Park, has receded from the proud position so long held at head of the championship League, and now Wolverhampton Wanderers, who reign in their stead, may think the Rovers for the kindly service they involuntarily rendered. This, of course, is inexpressibly sad, from a local point of view, but then there is no help for it, for in the natural order of things the best must bite the dust. It is, however, a matter of supreme satisfaction to the Wanderers, who, it will be remembered, sustained a severe defeat at Anfield some weeks ago. But football is best with the “glorious uncertainties “which characterise the grand old summer pastime. No one knows what a day may bring fourth, and it must therefore have astonished the “Wolves” to find themselves in turn playing a losing game against a second rate club like that of Sheffield Wednesday, no later than Monday last. In Saturday's match against Blackburn Rovers, Everton were still without the services of Latta, whose place was filled by Hope-Robertson, who, considering that this was the first time he had been given a trial in the League acquitted himself creditably. Angus stood out in favour of Smalley, whilst McLean again filled Kirkwood's position at half-back. Neither were the Rovers at their best, as Campbell and Brandon were absentees, but Gow was again the custodian in goal. In the matter of points, Everton were well in front of their rivals, who out of eight matches, had won four, lost three, and drawn one –nine points; whilst Everton had played nine matches, won six, lost two, drawn one –thirteen points. Still, the questing of supremacy was an open one, for although the Rovers had been beaten at Sunderland, the previous week, had they not twice this season defeated the redoubtable North End? The Rovers, however, were in one of their best moods, and were the first to score. The Evertonians seemed disorganised, and there was a lack of that dash daring which characterised their play at the opening of the campaign. Although the Rovers crossed over with the lead of a goal, Everton now had the wind in their favour, and for a length of time the Rovers' defence was severely tested. Still Everton were unable to break through, whilst to make matters worse Smalley let a ridiculous “soft” shot from Southworth roll through goal. Chadwick shot out of Gow's range, but this was Everton's only point, and the Rovers won a scrambling and not so gentle game by 2 goals to one. Everton, with Angus and Kirkwood, proved themselves far superior to Stoke Swifts, the latter being defeated by 5 goals to nil. The bulk of the scoring was done by McMillian and Gordon, who placed two goals each, the remaining point being shot by Elliott. The Swifts, however, played a good game, but their shooting was of fault, and thus several good chances was missed.

November 17, 1890. The Birmingham Daily Post
Everton are coming round again. Since their winning career was stopped at Perry Barr they have passed through some troubled times, but their lapse from first class form was felt by good judges to be only temporary and on Saturday they succeeded in defeating Sunderland after a very interesting game. Latta was once more in his place, and the exhibition by Everton was as sparkling and brilliant as ever, Sunderland being decidedly lucky in escaping so easily. The strangers had an occasional innings, of course, but their cleverness was intermittent and uncertain. Probably the Sunderland people are feeling more comfortable than for some weeks past. The football fever is of juvenile order Liverpool way, and like all young lovers they oscillate suddenly from the most confident hope to the deepest despair when they arrive t a more nature football age, they will perhaps learn to take victory and defeat with greater imperturbability.

November 17 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The eleventh League engagement of the Everton club was brought to an issue on Saturday at Anfield in the presence of about 12,000 people. The teams were as follows :- Sunderland ; Doig (je), goal, Porteous (t), and Oliver (j) backs, Wilson (h), Auld (jp), and Murray (j) half-backs, Harvey (j), Mills (j), Hannah (d), Scott (j), and Campbell (j), forwards. Everton; Angus (j), goal, Hnnah (a) (captain), and Doyle (d), backs, Campbell (w), Holt (j), and Kirkwood (d), half-backs, Geary (f), Brady (a), Robinson (h), Chadwick (e), and Milward (a) forwards. Everton kicked off, and Geary and Brady pattered down at a great rate. They were forced back and the visitors left wing made good running, and finished up with a fine shot from Scott, which was well kicked out by Angus.' Geary dashed away in brilliant style, and getting near, shot in Doig managing to hold off Chadwick and Milward so that only a corner instead of a goal was obtained although it, from a distance, looked like a shot through. Hannah coolly repelled a shot and a slight pressure in the part of the visitors was then removed.geary again got down and some neat play was seen between the centre and left wing and Campbell the latter putting a swift one in, which was rather wide. Everton were playing a grand hard, and fast game, and penned, their opponents for some time in limited space. Chadwick made a very clear try to get one through, but the leather went slightly too high. As the other end Campbell tried one of similar nature and failed under precisely similar circumstances. Geary now changed from the right wing to centre. The play having deteriorated in paces Sunderland for a brief period took a little more of the play, but their attacks were not too dangerous. At length Geary and Robertson were at an exciting speed, the latter, who developed a most unexpected rate, concluding with a fine low shot, when Doig prettily saved at the expense of a corner. Nothing came from this but a minute or two later the ball was removed from a scrimmage in front of goal, Hannah returned it beautifully with a long dropping shot, right under the bar, and Robertson running in scored the first. Everton now had much the best of the play and Doig was kept very much on the alert. He succeeded in keeping out the most puzzling shots and his form was without doubt marvelous grand shots from Milward, Geary and Robertson being held away with the greatest coolness and nonchalance. Half-time result Everton 1 goal Sunderland nil.

Doig in changing to the other end was vociferously cheered. The homesters held more than their own, but their attack cohesion, and no advantage was gained. Auld gave the ball nicely to his right wing and a corner was obtained off Doyle. This passed off without danger, and then the home forwards rushed up, a foul by Millar against Chadwick occurring in midfield. From this the leather was well directed to the goalmouth, and Geary shot in, Dog holding away just in time. Brady, Geary and Robertson rushed at him, and knocked him through immediately after he saved, Geary provoking laughter by charging Robinson in mistake for the goalkeeper. Milward returned the ball beautifully and it grazed the post and went behind. Robertson followed this up with a fine centre which was not taken advantage of. Sunderland then went away in spirited style and made it anxious for the homesters, Miller cracking in a good one, and Scott making a good attempt, neither being of use, however a foul kick was taken by Kirkwood close in to goal, and the ball striking the upright bounced into play, and was almost kicked in by Robertson. Oliver getting in his foot at an opportune moment. The game was fought out on much more equal terms, Sunderland doing everything in their power to force themselves up. They maintained a good pace, and consequently their opponents did not have too much of the work. There was nothing remarkably exciting at this juncture; rapid play being seen in midfield, and Auld showing brilliant tactics. Milward received the leather from Chadwick on the half-way line, and dashed off at rare pace his ultiminating shot, with nobody but Doig in front, being rather weak, and therefore it was easily rescued. Final result Everton 1 goal Sunderland nil.

November 17 1890.
No details, only team news. Everton: - Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain), and Cresswell, backs, McLean, Jones (r), and Parry half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Hammond, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.

November 17 1890. The Liverpool Courier
Negotiations have been on foot with regard to the transferred of certain players from the Bootle to the Everton Football Club. We understand that it was fully settled on Friday that Jardine, the well known goalkeeper, leaves the Bootle Club at once to join Everton, and will play with the Everton team, when the latter club meet Preston North End. The transaction has caused a good deal of conversation and surprise in football circles but it is stated “in well informed quarters that arrangements were amicably settled between the Everton and Bootle committees in reference to the transfer.'' It is rumored that the amount paid by Everton to Bootle is consideration of this transfer is £75, and that Jardine may probably get £20 for himself from Everton. The whole transaction, with its somewhat complicated financial arrangement, is furnishing a good deal of humorous comments among athletics generality.

November 22 nd 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Well, Everton did not scratch to Sunderland as was “grumply rumored” would be the case, nor did their supporters of the good old seaport team ever doubt but that when the appointed time came the Wearside boasters would be taught how unwise it is to speculate on results that may never be achieved. There can be no question, however, but that the northerners were in grim earnest, for they made their appearance in Liverpool overnight so that the fatigue of travel might wear off before the contest began. Thus they appeared on the field full of vitality and with an exceptionally strong team, whereas Everton, still without the incomparable Latta, were tempted to experiment in the matter of positions by withdrawing Geary to the vacant outside-right, leaving the centre to Robertson, but as the change did not work satisfactorily in either instance a transposition had to be made during the progress of the game. As was generally surmised the play was of a thoroughly exciting description, but although the Evertonians were fortunate in scoring midway in the first half rarely has such grand goal keeping been witnessed at Anfield as was displayed by Doig, the visiting custodian, whose smartness in dealing the difficult shots undoubtedly saved his side from a heaviest defeat. Angus, however, defended well, but whilst there was a marked difference in style it may not be wide of the mark to say that he had for his vis-à-vis one of the very best custodians of the day. Everton had somewhat the best of the play during the after-part of the game, although towards the close Sunderland brought heavy pressure to bear, but the defence was impregnable, and Everton after three successive defeats, scored a welcome victory by one goal to nil. Saturday's League engagement was the eleventh that Everton have taken part in this season, seven of which have been won, three lost and one drawn, giving a total of 15 points, and again they hold the proud position at the head of the clubs constituting the League –a position, however, only secured by a better goal-average over the Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sunderland, who have undoubtedly made rapid strides in the football world, have played ten games, three of which have been won, four lost, and three drawn, and it speaks highly for the defence of the backs when it is stated that each of the matches lost have been only by a single goal.

November 24, 1890. The Birmingham Daily Post
The meeting between the above famous clubs, attractive fully 12,000 people at Deepdale, Preston, despite a good deal or rain. Play was very fast, at starting North End forwards playing a great dash, and a shot from Kelso, hit the crossbar, shot after shot was sent in at the Everton goal, and after seventeen minutes Preston, scored out of a scrimmage. North End still pressed, and had a goal disallowed, but then play became more even. Just before the interval, however, Drummond obtained a second point for North End. The second half was decided under most unfavourable conditions, the ground being in a wretched state, whilst towards the close little or nothing could be seen of the game. Preston maintained their lead, and won by two goals to none.

Notes On Sports.
Everton are evidently forming a “corner” in goalkeepers, as although they have two first class men in Smalley and Angus, they have thought it necessary to acquire Jardine from Booth club. They have payed Bootle £75, for the transfer, and given the man himself £20. The money will be very useful to Bootle, who have a reserve goalkeeper, the advantage is not all on the side of Everton.

November 24 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The great League match between Everton and Preston North End took place at Preston on Saturday afternoon in the presence of twelve thousand spectators. The weather was heavy down fall in the afternoon it had no appranted effect upon the numbers of Liverpool people present, nor was the attendance at Prestonians at all. With the same, excepted for Robertson, the team was the same, which faced Sunderland last week. As both Robertson and Latta are still unable to Gordon took vacant place on the right wing. The respective teams were therefore constituted as follows; Everton:- Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Campbell, Holt and Kirkwood, half-backs, Gordon, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Ross (captain), backs, Kelso, Drummond (g), and Stewart (w), half-backs, Gordon, McKennar, Drummond (j), Gallacher and Dobson, forwards. The ground was in a slippery condition, and the players experienced the greatest difficulty in keeping their feet, North End won the toss, and plays the first few moments raged fiercely in the Everton half. The visitors carried the ball into their opponents territory, and several times had singularly hard lines in not scoring a shot from Gordon narrowly missing going through the posts. Afterwards the attack ranged alterunatelyfrom one end to another, Hannah and Doyle especially playing well. The Evertonians were obviously handicapped by the state of the ground-a disadvantage, which the North End starely experienced to such anextent. North End got well down, and Gordon sent in a fast beauty, which went a few inches over the bar. The Homesters were still well to the front and Gallacher was responsible for a low one, which Angus neatly put outside the upright, and Gordon then run up and gave the ball a bit of a tip, which Hannah ran in and saved. The Everton citadel then underwent a terrific bombardment, Angus acquitting himself right nobly. Four times in quick succession was the ball sent in and finally repulse, and then it was rushed through the first goal being received with loud cheers. Midfield movements ensued until Chadwick got hold and passed to Milward, who shot over. Just a brief dash by the North Enders, and Everton got well hold of the leather. With neat passing amongst the whole of the forwards they initiated a good attack, Gordon showing fair form, and Brady putting an end to all the hopes by shooting a few inches out. Angus saved, and at the other end Hannah headed out a teazer from Gordon. It was no use. The home team seemed to do as they liked with the opponents, and some beautiful quick passing between G.Drummond, Dobson and J.Drummond resulted in another goal. Angus saved a further brilliant attempt by J.Drummond and than Brady and Gordon moved along very finely, the latter giving Trainor a clinking one to deal with. Stewart was penalised for a nasty foul against Brady, but this did not bring much relief, the homesters forcing down again and Angus having to rescue a fine attempt. After a time Everton carried the ball to their opponents territory, but when infront of the goal failed to combine effectual, and consequently soon lost the advantage. Just before half-time arrived North End were awarded a penalty kick in front of goal, but a miskick soon relieved Everton of all danger. Immediately afterwards however, the homesters scored by means of a magnificent shot of G.Drummond, which Angus was unable to save. Half-time result; Preston North End 2 goals, Everton nil.

It should have been previously stated that the goal, which was supposed to have been scored by North End when the ball was sent through a second time, was disallowed. For some time after the restart the homesters took up a fierce attack but did not break through, and a like pressure on the part of Everton followed this. The swarming round the goal did not meet with any better luck than their antagonists. Ross neatly removes the ball. Holt pretity prevented an advance by Gallacher and J.Drummond, but this did not stop the progess of the homesters, who continued on the right until Doyle cleverly robbed Dobson at a critical point. Immediately Geary was on the ball and after a short sprint to transferred to Milward. With a continuance of the most perfect passing the Prestonians carried out the attack with unabated vigour and it was only by the sterling defensive p [lay of Doyle, and Hannah, and a fine display by Angus, that the score was not segmented. For a long while with only one slight opportunity was within the grasp of the visitors. This was unavailable owing to a too lengthily shot by Brady. Very shortly afterwards a like chance occurred on the right, and this time a shot was more accurate. Geary missing by a hair's breath almost. Doyle stopped an ugly rush, and with a nice header Hannah removed opposition and then Geary flew away in a grand spirited dash, but was unceremoniously floored when there was nobody to stop him except Trainor, and a goal seemed a certainty. Darkness was fast creeping on, and it was not an easy matter to observe all the movements. The North Enders were not battering away with so much in their favour as previously, but still the visitors could rarely cross the halfway line, and they could not get close enough to cause any apprehension. Final results : Preston North End 2 goals Everton nil.

November 24 1890. The Liverpool Courier
This match between the above teams was played on Saturday. Port Vale Rovers, who are the possessors of the Shaffordshire Cup, made their first visit to Anfield this season, before 3,000 spectators. The weather was very threatening when a punctual start was effected. Keeling commenced hostilities, Slater and Mathern carrying the ball up the field. Parry proved himself equal to the occasion, robbing Keeling very neatly. Some rash kicking on the part of Skinner enabled Everton to get well up, but a foul against the homesters relieved the pressure. The Rovers conceded two corners in quick succession both proving fruitless. Mcgregor showed some pretty passing, and Murray, the latter's that being fisted behind by Horse. Murray nullified a splendid effort of the home team by shooting behind. Everton continued to have the best of matters, the ball very rear passing the halfway line. The visitors at length broke away, but their attack was only momentary. Cresswell transferring the ball Parry who in turn passed to McGregor, who terminated the movement with a miserably poor shot. Murray now showed some very fine dribbling powers and was successful in compelling Herse to concede a corner, from which nothing tangible occurred. A mistake by Dobson let in Elliott, but the Rovers failed to take advantage of the opening. Hands against Hammond caused play to be transferred to the vicinity of the home goal. Cresswell relieving in grand style. The homesters McMillan shooting high over the bar exhibited good combination. A scrimmage took place near the visitors goal. Herse kept his goal intact. The defence of the Vale was severely tested, the shooting of the home forwards being very erratic. Elliott was here conspicuous for a brilliant shot, which shaved the bar. Murray now made tracks for the Rovers goal but was well brought up by McLean. Hands against McSimmons followed, from which, Everton forced a corner, nothing resulting. Everton maintained the pressure, and Hammond notched a goal from a pass by McMillan. The reverse seemed to put new life into the visitors, who came away with a rare burst. Dobson sent in a dropping shot, which was well saved by the Vale custodian. Mathers equalised shortly afterwards with a swift shot, which completely beat Murray. Half-time Everton Reserves 1 goal Port Vale Rovers 1 goal.

On resuming Everton at once put themselves on the aggressive and from a centre by Hammond, McMillan gave Everton the lead. Play continued in favour of Everton, but their efforts to score was not successful. Murray caught a dropping shot from Keeling but ran too far with it, the referee giving a foul, which Dobson got away. The Vale were now making strenuous efforts to score, and gained a corner which proved abortive. An opening here presented itself to the visitors, but they were slow to avail themselves of it. The Vale team continued to pen the home team in their own quarters, but could not get past Dobson and Cresswell, who were defending in grand style. A corner accrued to Everton, nothing following. Skinner now indulged in some wild kicking which enabled Everton to get within shooting distance, but Cutton averted the danger. Great improvement was now apparent in the play of theVale, who were having quite as much of the play as Everton. Elliott and McMillan showed some pretty passing the shot of the later going behind. Towards the close Everton passed but could not score. An evenly contested game ended in favour of Everton by 2 goals to 1. Everton team Murray, goal Dobson (captain), and Cresswell, backs, McLean, Jones, and Parry, half-backs, Murray, McGgregor, Hammond, McMillan, and Elliott forwards.

November 29 th 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
On a heavy and sticky ground the North End players have for a second time demonstrated their superiority over Everton, but whether the result will be the same at Anfield enclosure, or whether history will repeat itself, remains to be seen. The continued absence of Latta is of course an irreparable less to Everton, for he had so indoctrinated his forward colleagues, into his masterly style of play that until the unfortunate to continue which deprived the team of his services, they were well-nigh irresistible. Since that time there have been continual changes, but up to the present to one has been found to adequately fill the position so long and so ably held by Latta; nor is it probable, indeed, that Everton will ever again be able to boast of such a distinguished exponent of right-wing play. The defeat by two goals to nil has had the effect of displacing Everton from the premier position, and much therefore depends upon the result of today's match with Blackburn Rovers as to the League prospects of the seaport team, but that a valiant fight will be made to recover lost ground goes without the saying. The game was not of the kid-glove character, for it was no secret that the North-enders had laid themselves out for this particular match. Both sides played an usually vigorous game, in which North End set the example, and as it served to assure victory, the result doubtless, will be held to justify the means. Last season the Prestonians, after defeating Everton at Anfield under similar circumstances were beaten on their own ground, and now they have their revenge –full and sweet –forgetting, possibly, that what happened a year ago may happen again. Evertonians are hopeful, and that every effort will be made in that direction is certain.

Port Vale Rovers gave Everton a good game, and were only beaten by a narrow majority of two goals to one. A goal each was scored during the first half, but Everton ran out winners although, the Rovers experienced hard lines in not equalising towards the close of the game.

November 29, 1890, he Belfast News Letters.
Everton now take second place in the League after leading almost the whole season. Accidents to players have undoubtedly been the strongest factor in weakening the Liverpool club, but I fancy that the quality of the play has deteriorated. The club has recently imported several new players, but none of them seen to be able to take the place of Andrew Latta. This player, I hear, was trying his knee in a practice game the other day, but it gave any so badly that he almost despairs of ever being able to play again.. This would be a sad loss to the Everton team, for no player has done more to bring the Liverpool club to the front than the famous scotch international.

November 29 th 1890. The Liverpool Football Echo.
A Pleasant reunion took place at the Falcon Restaurant, Lord-street, on Tuesday evening when the officials and players connected with the Everton Football Club, to the number of 130, sat down to an excellent dinner, served up under the superintendence of Mr. Gastrell. Mr. John Houlding C.C. president of the clubs occupied the chair, and after the table had been cleared, addressed the company, and the usual loyal toasted having been duly honoured, the Chairman proposed the toast of “Association Football” and in doing so said the Everton Football Club was started by a few young men living in the neighborhood of Anfield, and had played years in year out, but did not make any mark for some time until some of the members of it who had been players as lads grew up to be young men, and thought they would try to stretch out the club. Several men who were now occupying good positions in the city he remained as players in the Everton Football Club, and it was something for them to look back and say that they were the pioneers of the present Everton Football Club. Friends like Mr. Barclay and Mr. Jackson then began to take an interest in the club, and brought their energies into play, and the club was taken out of the park and placed on a private ground. Then he remembered in 1892 they had a benefit for the Stanley Hospital at a Fancy Fair held in Stanley Park. There was then a football match played between Liverpool and District, who put their best men in the team, and friends from various parts of Lancashire. It was expected that they would scarcely be able to play the match unless the ground was thoroughly roped round and made perfect for the players. Some of his committeemen at the Francy Fair said, “Your football match will not attract anyone. He laughed at them, because he had more enthusiasm in the game then they had. Although they had matches for three days he did not think that at any one time there were more than fifty spectators present, and these came and went away, and never appeared to take any interest in the matches at all. That was in 1892. Now see what the Everton Football Club was. He believed that if they had such matches at the ones referred to now, the club's ground, even if it were double the size it is, would be anable to contain the spectators. Football was one of those games, which he thought every Englishman most admire. It created some excitement. Racing was a very popular sport, but it could not be watched throughout with sustained interest, whereas in football the interest was sustained from the beginning to the end of a match, and excitement was created at every moment while a game was in progress. A little excitement was good for all people. It cheered them up after their ordinary everyday work after the worrying occupations of them followed. He thought all present would agree with him in thinking that they had a right to drink. “Success to Association Football.”

Mr. R.E. Lythgoe, secretary of the Liverpool and District Football Association, in respecting to the toast said that he could not very well complain about football as it existed in Liverpool at the present time. He did not know any other town, which could produce a following of the game, which Liverpool could at the present time. They were always anxious to push forward local talent, and he hoped that Everton would be the first to bring into force such local talent as Liverpool possessed. He was quite sure that in a few years the local talent would come conspicuously to the front.

Mr. W.E. Barclay in proposing the toast of the evening –“ Health and Prosperity to the Everton Football Club” –said he was sure they all felt that the members of the Everton team did their utmost to maintain the honour of the club. The position of the League team was not so bad as some people had tried to make it out to. There was certainly one thing to be said. They all knew that if a stick were taken from a tightly packed bundle that bundle would naturally fall to pieces. Well, there was one stick. He did not mention it in a disparaging way –he referred to Mr. Latta (applause), who was away from the Everton bundle, and the consequence was that the team was somewhat disorgainsed for the time being. He would say that their unsignal sympathies were extended to Mr. Latta, and they all hoped that he would soon be able to resume his place in the team (applause) and he was quite sure that when Mr. Latta returned that player would display form quite as brilliant as that of were. It had been mentioned that one of the members of the club objected to such gathering as they were taking part in that night on the ground that they were of a dissinated nature. It could not, however, be said that the members of the club were desipated. They were nearly all temperance men, and it could be said that taking them altogether, they were a very temperate body. With regard to the League, he thought that the club was coming out very favourably in the results. There were other clubs as powerful as the Everton who did not stand in better positions; and he could not see that Everton was really in any worse position now than any other club, and as a matter of fact, the head of the League was still left an open question. All the members of the Everton team would do their level best to uphold the honour of the club, and he ought not to forget to say that a more earnest lot of players did not exist in England or Scotland (applause). In the absence of Mr. Hannah, the toast was respondent to by Mr. Dan Doyle.

Mr. J. Brooke, in proposing the toast of the “Everton team” said that if any accidents were to happen to any member of the league team, he believed there were players connected with the club who could take their places, and when they appeared on the ground he hoped they would receive a hearty welcome. Mr. Clayton responded to the toast. A capital musical and vocal programme arranged by Mr. R. Stockton, was interspersed with the toast list, and gave great satisfaction and delight to the company.