October 1890

October 3 1890. The Liverpool Courier
Played in Glasgow yesterday, before 8,000 spectator. The teams were ; Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt and Campbell, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Third Lanark: - Downe, goal, Adams, and Smith, backs. Begbie, McPherson, and Lockhead, half-backs, McInnes, Burke, Johnston (w), Marshall, and Lapsley forwards . The Third played with three Hearts of Midlothian men. Everton kick off and in a short time won the hearty plaudits of the crowd by their brilliant passing. Geary however, missed a good chance by shooting wildly for goal. The 3d had two or three chances, but Johnston and Burke shot wide of the mark. After fifteen minutes play Campbell received a nasty kick, but soon recovered, and play proceeded as hard and as fast as ever. The smart quick passing of the Everton was loudly by the crowd, but somehow they were very erratic in front of goal, and Milward missed a good chance by sending the ball flying over the crossbar. The Everton were sorely pressed after this, and Angus who was very sure in goal negotiated some dangerous shots. Everton again pressed, and a run by Geary was spoiled. Brady, who received the pass, shooting wildly over the bar. Towards the close of the half time, and after being severely pressed, Latta, from a pass by Milward, scored the first goal. It was hard lines on the Third, who had been playing brilliantly but Angus gave a grand display in goal, and time after time saved when a less experienced man would have allowed the ball to go through. At half-time Everton were leading by one goal to nil. Everton opened the second half with great dash indeed, but Geary missed a couple of chances and Chadwick had very hard lines with a quick shot the ball hitting the crossbar, and going behind. After 15 minutes play Latta twisted his leg, and had to retire to the side of the field to get attended to, and after a minute or two was cheered on resuming his place. Five minutes after, Johnston equalised the score, just managing to get the ball past Angus in the extreme corner of the goal. Latta knee continued to trouble him, and he left the field. The play continued fast and exciting and Milward missed a chance, by shooting high over the bar, and Geary who was cautioned by the referee (Mr Watts) had hard lines in not scoring with a very clever effort. Indeed Geary had a single handed run at the close, but was nonplussed and a had game end in a draw, one goal each.

October 4 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The moral involved in Everton's disappointing display at Accrington would been to be that the leaders of the League were to an appreciable extent ‘'off colour'' but as if cannot be urged that the team was stale, or the victims of physical prostration the unwelcome chance must have been due to some mysterious extraneous cause. Despite their brilliant achievements, which as yet stand unrivalled a rumour prevailed that the Anfield-road team entertained a wholesome respect for the ‘'Reds'' tinctured perhaps with a secret feat that something might happen to check their victorious career. Quite early in the game indeed, some colour was given to this assumption for there was a conspicuous absence of that remarkable cohension and dash which, characterized their play in the earlier matches of the season. there was absolutely nothing in the performances of Accrington to influence a team which had made such brilliant record against all concord; but somehow or other, an over-anxious feeling prevailed at the onset, which possibly was intensailed when Milward was ruled off side on a claim for goal. This was certainly a stroke of bad luck for Everton. Nor was it the only one; but while Mr. Lockett's decision may have been correct in the main, hey gave rise to hostile comment, which was freely expressed by those who witnessed the game. The Accringtonians more fortunate than their rivals, established a legitimate point which, however, did not long remain unchallenged, for nearer the interval was reached Geary during an exciting order in front of the posts, placed his sides on equal terms. The after-portion of the game was so fiercely contested that both Angus and Hay had a most anxious time in goal. At length Milward, by a dexterous ‘twist,'' circumvented Hay, and as Angus remained cool and as firm as a rock, Accrington were beaten by two goals to one. After pnt of the closest finishes the victors had been engaged in. it may be taken for granted that the return match at Anfield will excite widespread interest, and it may even now be predicated that the ‘'Reds'' will not come off so well as they did on their native heath.

That the Everton committee were well advised in abandoning the Ironopolis fixture was made sufficiently clear by the close and exciting finish against the 3 rd Lanark a day later than that on which the Teeside club was to been played. As was perhaps to have been expected, the ‘'Third'' was strengthened by a number of picked men, Hearts of Midlothian in particular, being laid under heavy requisition. Still Everton, by skillful passing, reached the interval a goal ahead, but had one half the chances been taken the Liverpool champions would certainly have field a more commanding lead. For once, however, Everton were erratic in front of goal. Failure in this particular was extremely unfortunate, because afterwards, Latta, the mainstay of the attack, and who scored the visitors goal, was so badly sprained, that he was compelled to retire from the field, and thus 3d Lanark were enabled to get on equal terms. The grand goalkeeping of Angus, however, saved the game, which eventually remained a draw of one goal each. This was the ninth match of the Everton season giving eight wins and a draw.

October 4, 1890. The Belfast News Letter.
For consistency and success commendive to Everton and Preston, the former especially. Everton has now played four League matches and won them all, as indeed, it has in every kind of matter this season. Amongst shinning lights of the Everton team Andrew Latta is always conspicuous. He joined the team t the beginning of last season, and since then the fame of both has grown together. He is a Dumbarton man, and learned his football in the half-back of that name, he represented Scotland against England at the oval, two years ago, an honour which probably brought him into the notice of the Everton executive. He is very popular amongst players and spectators alike, and is one of the very best forwards in the UK. He weighs nearly 12st., and is f5ft 8in in height, being very powerful built. Personally Latta is as modest as he is accomplished.

October 6 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The League match between Everton and Derby County was played on Saturday in dull weather, and in the presence of about 12,000 spectators. Latta had not sufficiently recovered from his injury, he received in the Third Lanark match to justify him to participating in the game and his place was therefore taken by Kirkwood, Parry succeeding the latter, as outside right. The teams were as follows; Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captian), and Doyle, backs, Campbell, Holt and Parry, half-backs Kirkwood, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Derby County: - Haddow, goal, Latham, and Hopkins, backs, Chalmers, Goddall (a), and Bakewell, half-backs, McLachlan, Cooper, Holmes, and Goddall (j) (captain) forwards. Derby kicked off promptly down hill, the right wing taking the sphere to test Angus, who was not found wanting, despite his injured thumb. Some judicious feeding on the part of Holt, and Campbell gave the ball to the left wing, and then it was transferred to Geary. He returned to the left and Milward, with a grand shot, beat Haddow. But a few seconds had elapsed when Geary repeated the performance but this was of no benefit as he was offside. The visitors scraped their way down, and Holmes from a fair point, made an initial shot. The home right got along, and Parry stepped in, but his shot was wretchedly bad. Play ruled in favour of the homesters, and Milward passed to Geary close in to goal. The centre shot in, Haddow weakly repelled, with the result that Geary again shot with the desired effect the score then reading 2 to nil to the advantage of Everton. The Anfielders were going strong, and play was generally played in the County quarters. Geary and Milward were within an ace of forcing past the goalkeeper, and had it not been for the plucky resistance of Boulston, who while half lying down, removed the ball, a point would have resulted. A not very exegetic rush by the Derby men was nicely repulsed by Doyle, and the left wing going well together, harassed Latham, who was compelled to make a grant of a corner. Some neat play between Chadwick Milward Geary, and Parry was the means of keeping the leather in the vicinity of the visitors goal, and Milward, kicking in defeated Haddow, with a somewhat soft shot, the backs, however, being to a great extent responsible for this. Angus just had to clear a wide one, and the right wing went away, Kirkwood having a miserable try, the ball going six yards outside the post. Clever movement between Chadwick and Geary, followed, and the latter easily obtained the fourth point. Some not over interesting play occurred, the visitors barely managing to keep their opponents at bay, Geary making two, well meant, but successful shots at the goalkeeper from distant points. The centre forward again had a crack, and Haddow running out, fell on the ball. Although this occurred not more than a couple of yards from the goal, and Milward, Chadwick, and Geary were quickly on the leather. Habbow in his recumbent position, with the aid of Latham, effected a rescue. A couple of minutes later a few exchanges were made by the right wing men, and Geary with the result, that Kirkwood with a simple effort notched the fifth point, half-time result Everton 5 goals, County nil.

On the restart, some midfield passes were taken, until Hannah kicked to Geary. He transferred to Chadwick, who then shot high over the bar. Derby worked slightly better together, and Holmes got one in, but it was wide of the upright. Holt assisted the forwards splendidly, although he was at a disadvantage in consequence of being winded, and Chadwick was given a chance which, he spoiled with a lofty shot. Brilliant dribbling was shown by Geary, and Haddow was but merely able to repel his attempt. Bakewell and McLachlan, by pushing through gained the first corner, but this was of little use to them. Kirkwood, Brady, and Parry worked down and the visitors had to act upon the defensive, Holt bring repeatedly cheered for grand tricky tackling. Splendid combination amongst the home forwards was to be seen at this time, but they were not working for score so enthusiastically as in the first half. The County were certainly having a slightly fairer portion of the work, blocks, however, being found in Hannah and Doyle, who were practically impregnable. Bakewell had a fine spurt from the half-way line along the right, Hannah cantering up in time to prevent his centre. Geary was prominent in two or three dribbles, the backs getting their kicks in not a moment too soon. Kirkwood was an able support, and from a faultless centre by him, Chadwick scored the sixth. It should have been stated, that a few minutes previous to this event Holmes shot through but as he was clearly offside, there was no gain allowed. After the sixth goal for the home team, the visitors dashed up, and Holmes again apparently beat Angus. The Referee, Mr. Jopp, was again in favour of the Evertonians, and an argument followed between John Goodall, and him. This did not effect any good, although in the opinion of many the point was an legitimately obtained as possible. Geary gave Haddow a fair handful, and he was obliged to throw over the bar, in order to save himself. From Milward pass Geary was given a clear field, as he was not prepared, and Latham got his kick in. a few seconds before the call of time, Geary scored the seventh. Final result Everton 7 goals, Derby County nil.

October 6 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Only details, was Smalley, Dobson, Cresswell, half-backs, Martin, Jones, not known half-backs Gordon McGregor, Hammond, Murray, and Farmer, forwards.

October 7 1890. The Liverpool Courier
Played at Sheffield, yesterday. Everton, who's were strongly represented, won the toss, but the home team played pluckily, for the first 10 minutes play was pretty equal and at half time neither side had scored. In the second half, Kirkwood got the first for Everton, and Robertson then scored for the home team. Kirkwood made the second goal for Everton who won by 2 goals to 1., att 1,000
Teams Sheffield United:- Howlett, goal, Whitham, and Lilley goal, Jeeves, Howell, and Cross half-backs, Short, Bridgewater, Robertson, Watson, and Groves, forwards. Everton: - Angus, goal Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt,and Campbell, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Geary Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

October 7, 1890. The Sheffield Independent.
Sheffield United 1 Everton 2
When the Everton team visited Bramell Lane last season they gained a ridiculously easy victory over the United. Yesterday however, the famous League club found the Sheffielders a tough nut to crack, and after an even interesting, and well played game, won only by the majority of a single goal. With the exception of Latta they had their full strength Kirkwood playing forward and Parry being introduced into the team at half-back. The United were without Calder and Clarke, but had a fairly representative team. About 3,000 spectators witnessed the game. At 3.20 Robertson kick-off for the United in the direction of Bramell Lane, in face of a gentle breeze. The visitors soon threatened danger, but Howell by neat play cleared, and Shaw rushed away to the other end, where, however, Doyle interposed with a ponderous kick. Thus early on some even play was seen, the Sheffielders attacking quite as much as their famous opponents. Howlett, however, was the first goalkeeper to be called upon to handle, and he saved a good shot from Chadwick. United on the other hand, were the first to gain a corner, but Cross dropped the ball just behind P. Little later Howell gave Angus a long shot to stop, from which the Everton custodian beat the ball far away into midfield. The most prominent features of the play at this time were good kicking by the backs on both sides, and fine tackling by Howell, the United centre-half. At length the Evertonians forced a corner, which was well dropped by Kirkwood, but Milward missed a good chance by shooting just on the wrong side of the post. Then the Sheffielders threatened danger and got a corner, but Cross again kicked behind. The visitors then kept the ball for some time in the home territory, and Geary twice shot over the bar, the same player immediately afterwards putting the ball just outside. Howell neatly headed the ball through his own goal, but Howlett stopped it in time. Then the United had a look in, and a fine shot by Watson and another by Howell, well stopped by Angus, were followed by some close play in front of the Everton goal. Holt cleared, but the Sheffielders came again, and Shaw shot outside just before half-time was called without either side having scored. Just before half-time, Bridgewater, who played with a knee bandaged, was hurt, but on resuming play he was able to reappear. Everton at once advanced, but was stopped by a foul against them. They returned to the attack however, and Howlett had twice to save, the second time at the expense of a corner, from which Geary headed over. Lilley cleared danger from the United goal, and good play by Howell left in the home right wing, and Bridgewater headed the ball through, but being “off-side” the point was disallowed. After this, play became faster than heretofore, and Geary gave Howlett a low fast shot to stop, a bit of good play by Parry gave the ball to Kirkwood a little later and the latter player by a fine shot, beat the United defence, and scored the first goal for Everton 15 minutes, after the cross-over. The United front rank advanced together, but Hannah stopped them, and Everton, attacking again Howlett had to save. Good play by Howell was repeatedly cheered, but Everton pressed vigorously, and got a corner, from which Jeeves headed out of danger. The Sheffielders, getting away on the right, forced a corner in their turn, but once more cross, placed behind. . After some even play the visitors began to press again, and Whittam foiled a dangerous assault. Then Geary got through in brilliant style, but the chance was missed by Chadwick, kicking high over the bar, after which Bridgewater, Shaw, and Robertson organized a raid, and the last named player beating Angus equaliser amidst enthusiastic applause with 10 minutes to play. Everton attacked amidst much excitement, but soon Groves got away, and the United had an unproductive corner. Play remained in the visitors quarters, and Shaw aimed too high to score. Everton soon came away in fine style though, and from a pass from the left Kirkwood scored a grand goal, giving the Liverpoolians the lead again. A long shot by Shaw at the Everton goal was stopped by Angus, and then the call of time brought to an end a well-contested and interesting game with the following result Sheffield United 1 Everton 2. Teams: - Sheffield United: - C.H. Howlett, goal; M. Whittam and H. Lilley, backs; J. Reeves (captain), R.P. Howell, and E. Cross, half-backs; A. Watson, G.J.Groves, W. Robertson, W. Bridgewater, B.L. Shaw, forwards. Everton: - J.A. Angus, goal; D. Doyle and A. Hannah (captain), backs; W. Campbell, J. Holt, and C. Parry, half-backs; A. Milward, E. Chadwick, F. Geary, A. Brady, and D. Kirkwood, forwards. Umpires, Messrs E. Stringer and W. Sugg. Referee Mr. J.C. Clegg.

October 11 th 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
Now that the hazardous enterprise of the Everton F.C. as a master of history, the team must be complimented on the result of its labour, for it was no mean feat to win three matches and draw a fourth under exceptionally difficult circumstances within the space of nine days; but has been done, and the League and club records remain unblemished, an achievement which no club of like standing can boast of. Only by careful training and observances of the stricvtest sobriety could so large a measure of success been secured, and in this respect it may safely be said that Captain Hannah and his sturdy colleagues are indeed a pattern team. They have deserved well of Liverpool, and Liverpool will not be slow to recognise the champions who have done so much to raise the “good old town” to the level of the traditional centres of the pastime. The ground and its accessories are certainly not surpassed by those of any of the most influential organisations in the country, and nowhere are the efforts of the enterprising committee more keenly appreciated. Improvements are constantly being carried out, regardless of expense. So great latterly has been the crush that a new entrance gate has been fixed, and amongst other details the approaches to the main entrance have been levelled, so that the discomforts experienced in previous seasons have been entirely removed. Operations were resumed at Anfield against Derby County, and as the visitors could boast of one or two notable feats, the fixture proved attractive, and with beautiful weather the spacious enclosures was filled with an appreciative crowd. It was his fourth meeting of teams, whilst in previous games Everton recorded a couple of wins, and a draw, scoring 16 goals to 4. Owing to the injury received in the game against 3d Lanark, Latta was unable to assist his comrades in the field, consequently Parry took up his old position at half, leaving Kirkwood to fill the vacancy on the right of the forward line. As the result proved, the combination worked well- so well, indeed that five goals were registered before the usual interval was reached. Afterwards the pace of goal-getting toned down, but of course the Evertonians always held the upper hand. While Angus was again impregnable in goal, leaving nothing to be desired, pressure was occasionally put upon his opponents at the other end of the field. Eventually Everton left off winners of their fifth League encounter by seven goals to nil and with ten points now hold the premier position in the official records of the championship contest. On Monday last the victorious Evertonians encountered Sheffield United at the “cutlery village,” but seen to have taken matters somewhat easily, as the United greatly to their delight were only beaten by two goals to one in a steady but fairly good game.

October 13 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The ground at Perry Bar was literally packed on Saturday and it was evident that the Birmingham people were anxious to see whether the powers of the Everton team were as great as reported. Forever an hour and half previous to the commencement of the match the people poured into the ground and the approaches were crowded. The teams were as follows ; Aston Villa: - Warmer, goal, Evans, and Cox, backs, Clarkson Cowan, and Devey, half-backs, Hodgetts, Graham, Paton, Dickson, and Brown, forwards. Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt and Campbell, half-backs, Kirkwood, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forward.

There were over 10,000 spectators on the ground when Paton made the kick off at four o'clock, the delay of quarters of an hour being due to the late arrival of Geary and Mr. Widdowson, the referee, from Nottingham. The home right tried to move off, but Doyle pulled them up. Kirkwood went a little way down, and then Dickson and Paton by pretty work got within measurable distance, when Hodges from a pass made a rash kick and sent over the line. Milward and his partner went near, and on Evans keeping than at bay, Hodgetts and Graham with neat passing worked grandly along, only to be checked by Hannah. Geary had a short sprint, but miscalculated his length, and Warmer saved only just in time. However, Chadwick returned with a wide shot. After a dash by the Villans, Milward rattled down a shot through but he had previously handled the ball. Brady propelled a nice fast low one, which Warner held out, whilst lying on the floor, and immediately ensuing Geary had a loophole, which an erratic shot, rendered unavailable. Fortunately the mistake did not prove very disastrous, as a minute later the speedy centre forward made a brilliant run cleverly evading the half-backs, and the backs, and going within a few yards of the goalkeeper, shot the first goal, eight minutes from the start. Warner after the kick off was called upon somewhat severely Milward presenting him with a rare fistful, and Brady followed it up, with a like effort, both of which, were removed in grand fashion. Chadwick failed in the third shot, although he had a fairly clear passage. The home team went together in improved style and a couple of corners were forced, neither of which, were of advantage. The play was fast, Everton having rather the best of the movements. From a brief scrimmage not far from the goalmouth, Geary made a splendid attempt, the ball passing a few inches over the bar. The home-left sprinted away, and Hodgetts cracked in a beautiful one, Angus kicking it away. A claim was made that he had kicked the ball through the posts, but the referee, who awarded a corner, did not support this. Some exciting events took place in the vicinity of the Everton goalmouth, Doyle, Hannah, and the half-backs working like demons, and eventually relieved without accident. The visitors than had a turn at pressing, and Brady and Geary shot wide. The home right wing careered away, and Brown passed to Paton, who rattled one in which, Angus could not hold with his left hand, and the score was thus equalised, to the great delight of the spectators. After kicking off, Hodgetts dashed away, and nearly obtained a second, Angus running out and conceding a corner. This passed off without event, and then Milward and Chadwick pattered down and crossed to Geary who was outdone by Evans. Both sides were going in double quick time, and worked like machines for a short time, the combination and the tackling being nearly perfection. The visitors then fell a little in form, but their opponents were not able to profit to any extent by it, only one corner falling to their lot. Geary dribbled finely, Evans apain defeating him, and than Chadwick made a poor shot. At half time the score stood:- Everton 1 goal, Aston Villa 1 goal. The home team broke clean away after the restart, and Paton had a shy, the ball passing outside. Everton could not get beyond the half-way line, and Hodgetts cantering down the centre, Doyle fouled the ball. From this Cowan received the ball, and with a fast high shot notched the second amid rousing plaudits. Right away from this the Villa rushed off, and Hodgetts, while beside Angus, fouled the ball and failed to shoot through, and the ball was easily removed. In consequence of this miserable bungling on the part of the home forwards, the visitors only just had a look in and back. The Villans ran the leather, Paton propelling a slashing shot, which Angus barely managed to save. Doyle took a foul kick from the half-way line, and the ball went through unfortunately without anyone touching it. Centre field play of a not very attractive nature ensued. The faults of the visiting team were glaring and almost painful to see after their usually fine passing. From the foul given against Everton the homesters reached near the goal, and Angus repelled a good thing from Brown. Milward and Chadwick carried along, and Geary shot through from their centre, off-side robbing them of another goal. Villa were claiming the most attention, and some of the passing flashes amongst the forwards were unquestionably brilliant. Angus had to fist away from Dickson and Brown then had a good chance which, he neglected to avail himself of. Attacks were made from both right to left by the visitors, but Cox and Evans were to smart, and their defence was superb. The home men then pounded away, as hard as possible in their efforts to place the result beyond doubt, but the stern opposition of the backs compelled them to retire time after time unsuccessful and on the occasion of one of these attacks, Hannah was loudly cheered, as he relieved in the goalmouth whilst lying on the floor, although three of the Villa forwards were endeavoring to rob him. There seemed to be a poor chance of the visitors making a draw, but three minutes from the finish, Milward dribbled down and passed to Kirkwood, who shot in and preformed the feat. Warner dropped on the ball behind the line, and Geary ran up and kicked in order to place the matter beyond doubt, but the ball rebounded from the goalkeeper over the bar. The home team of course claimed no goal, but the referee paid no heed to it. Final result Aston Villa 2 goals Everton 2 goals.

October 11 189. The Liverpool Courier
This match was played on Saturday in beautifully fine weather before about 5,000 spectators. Everton lost the toss, and Hunter kicked off with the sun shining in the eyes of the home team, Carmen was cheered for good play directly the game started, and play located itself in front of the visitors goal. Sharples relieved the leather being rushed down to Smalley who had to concede a corner. Nothing came of it, and McGregor spoiled a promising movement by kicking too hard. Carmen again out in tricky work. Atherton giving a corner, and the ball hovered in the visitors goalmouth, but their defence was equal to a fierce attack. The South Shore left wing made a raid, but kicked into touch. McGregor was to the fore, and neat passing between the Everton forwards was within an ace of taking effect. Hammond only just missing his mark. Cresswell was cheered for a remarkably good save, and Gordon and McGregor ran and passed neatly until they came to Birtie, who transferred the leather to Parkinson and play settled ion the centre. A foul against Everton came to nothing, Robbie Jones neatly clearing the danger and Gordon ran strongly to the visitors end. Hunt cleared, and Robbie Jones playing in grand form lobbed Birchall, and Wilson and McGregor presaged danger, but found the visitors defence all there. Carmen, shooting wide of the goal with no one but Hunt in front of him, an easy chance, and a bad miss spoiled a grand chance. Up to this point the game had been very even, Everton having if anything slightly the best of it. Two corners fell to Everton, and from both the visitors citadel was neatly captuned, Hammond especially having hard lines, a grand shot just going over the bar. A mistake by Dobson very neatly brought his side to grief, Parkinson however, was not equal to the occasion, and shot yards over the bar, to the delight of the crowd. Hammond had a good chance but was weak in front of goal, but McGregor who shot in fine style, had hard lines with two shots. Half-time arrived with a clean sheet.

After the usual interval Elston kicked off, and Everton rushed play into the visitors end, McGregor kicking behind. Everton evidently meant business and Hunt had a warm time, Dobson was cheered for a hugh kick, one of his ‘'old timers,'' but the visitors returned and Smalley had to throw away, a good shot from the foot of Sharples, Hunter, Gordon, and McGregor put in strong work, but the visitors, headed by Elston rushed up to Smalley, who saved in champion form, and was the recipient of well-deserved cheers. The visitors were now pressing, Elston, although rough put in good work, and Smalley had to throw away a well directed effort. At length the efforts of the home team were rewarded, McGregor being the hero and the crowd became most enthusiastic. Hardly had the cheers died away than the homesters again were in front, and after the leather had been passed by several forwards, Carmen beat Hunt for the second time. Elston made a grand run up the left and tried hard to retrieve his side, but found Dobson and Cresswell more than a match for him, the homesters again being in front of Hunt. The game was very rough, and fouls against the visitors were not unfregent. A grand concerted movement initiated by Gordon nearly came off Hammond just missing. He soon made amends, and from a similar attack scored the third goal. The visitors were evidently beaten and play was all in their half the home right wing being too much for them, and did pretty nearly what they liked. Final result; Everton Reserves 3 goals South Shore nil.

October 17 1890. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton League team played, the return match with Chester yesterday in the ancient city, in wild bleak, and boisterous weather. A half gale of wind, accompanied by driving rain, blew obliquely across the field, marring the play as well as the comfort of the thousands of so spectators assembled around the ropes. Chester were fully represented, and were assisted by Fred Evans of Wrexham, at right half-backs, but Everton had to provide substitutes for no fewer than five of their league eleven. Chester won the toss, and Everton kicked off against the wind, and after a few futile runs on the part of Chester, a splendid run by the Everton right wing and a beautiful centre enabled McMillan to score the first for the visitor. An equally dexterous run on the Everton left brought the leather into dangerous quarters, and Dixon saved at the expense of a corner, which proved fruitless. The Chester forwards made desperate efforts to score, but Doyle and Hannah were safe. Everton found another opening shortly after, but Milward missed. Soon after Everton scored, but hands had been claimed before. From the kick off Chester came within an ace of scoring, Bobby Davies shooting wide. A run on the Chester rights, and Charlie Jones sent in a stringer, which, Angus fisted out immediately. The same player gave Angus another soft fistful, which he easily repelled. Within another five minutes both goalkeepers were called upon, Dixon having to kick out a rapid and puzzling shot, and Angus having to run out to save, which he did with little difficulty. The Chester full back (Jones) missing his kick, enabled Everton forwards to break through and McMillan scored another. From a long kick by Chester centre-half, Bobby Davies, the Chester right-winger, had the goal at his mercy, but Hannah kicked him off his feet. Chester got the foul, but made nothing of it. Half-time arrived with the score: - Chester nil, Everton 2 goals. On resuming, Everton had the wind at their backs, and the Chester defence was severely taxed. After a bit of excellent passing on the Chester left, Bobby Davies sent in two swift shots in succession, which Angus had difficulty in clearing. The Chester goal was next vigorously assailed, and Dixon had to kick out. The Chester forwards played up with remarkable pluck, and the right wing again threatened the visitors goal but without success. Everton quickly realised, and a capital run down ended in Dixon being defeated by McGregor. Smart passing by the visiting forwards followed, and Milward scored the fourth goal with a beauty. Chester now bombarded the visitors goal, but the attacks were splendidly repulsed. Final score Chester nil, Everton 4 goals. Teams Chester :- Dixon, goal, Roberts, and Jones (s), backs, Evans, Williams and Les, half-backs, Townsend, Fleming, Jones (c), Lewis, and Davies (d), forwards. Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Shaw (trailst from vale of Level), Holt, and Parry, half-backs Gordon, McGregor, Hammond, McMillan (tralist from Renton), and Milward, forwards.

October 18 th 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
When the first news arrived that the prestige of Everton had been broken at Perry-bar, a despondent feeling prevailed throughout the whole of the district, for there exists an attachment to the oldest and best of the Liverpool clubs which even the faintest suspicion of a reverse would suffice to ruffle. Happily, however, the news proved incorrect, and the worst that had happened was a drawn game of two goals each; but how perilously near the truth the ill-omented report was, can only be realised by the devoted band which made the journey to witness the game, for it was only at the last moment that the match was plucked out of the fire. On form, the Evertonians were expected to win somewhat easily, the fact evidently being overlooked that Aston Villa, wearied of defeat, had been sedulously strengthening their ranks in view of the contest. The reappearance of Paton, Brown, and Hodgetts had a racial influence on the team and a glimpse was obtained of the Aston Villa of old. This transformation, doubtless had a material effect upon the opposing side, but is absolutely certain that neither the combination, accuracy, or dash of the famous Lancashire eleven was in keeping with their best exploits. But of course Latta, the prince of right-wingers, although present, was still unable to take his place in the ranks, and only those who have confronted this finished and resolute player can realise the difference his absence makes in the play of his colleagues. It may be that Villians, by one of those marvelous changes which occasionally startle the football world, have assumed the highest obtainable phase of form, and may be subsequent events will shed a very different lights on the moral of last Saturday's game. This, indeed, would be no new experience so far as Everton is concerned, and it may therefore be of interest to recall the events commencing with the recent visit to the West of Scotland, and what has since happened, to wit:- Everton 1 3d Lanark 1; Everton 2 Sheffield United 1. For the moment the close ness of these results gave cause for alarms, but then it was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that both 3d Lanark and Sheffield United are much better teams than was generally supposed, in verification of which the following statistics speak for themselves. 3d Lanark 4 Queen's Park 2; Sheffield United 6 Birmingham St George 1. Everton beat Derby County by seven to nothing, and as Aston Villa are due as Derby today, we shall perhaps be further enlightened as to the value of collateral form. But Aston Villa will in the ordinary course of events visit Anfield and then we shall conclusively learn which is the premier team.

October 18, 1890. Chester Observer.
This much looked forward –return match came off in extremely unfavourable weather on the Tomkinson-street ground on Thursday afternoon. A half gale of wind, accompanied by driving rain, blew obliquity across the field, making the play as well as the comfort of the comparative by few spectators, assembled round the ropes. Chester were fully represented, and were assisted by Fred Evans, of Wrexham, at right half-back. The Everton team, which was a strong one, only included six League players, but two new men, McMillian (of Vale of Leven) and Shaw (of Great Marlow) were tried, Chester winning the toss, Everton kicked off against the wind, and after a few futile runs on the part of Chester, a splendid run by the Everton right wing and a beautiful centre enabled McMillian to score the first goal for the visitors, an equally dexterous run on the Everton left brought the leather into dangerous quarters, but Dixon save against the expense of a corner, which proved fruitless. The Chester forwards make desperate efforts to score Doyle and Hannah were safe, and Everton found another opening subsequently, but Milward missed. Soon after Everton scored, but was disallowed, as hands had been claimed before. From the kick off Chester came within an ace of scoring. Bobby Davies shooting wide. A smart run was made on the Chester right, and Charlie Jones sent in a stringer, which Angus fisted out immediately. The same player gave Angus another soft fistful, which he easily repelled, within another five minutes, both goalkeeper's were allowed upon, Dixon having to kick out a rapid and puzzling shot, and Angus having to run out to save, which he did with little difficulty. The Chester full backs (Jones) missing his kick, enabled Everton forward to break through, and McMillian scored another. From a long kick by Chester centre –half, Bobby Davis, the Chester left-winger, had the goal at his mercy, but Hannah kicked him off his feet. Chester got the foul, but made nothing of it. At half time matters stood:- Everton 2 goals; Chester nil. On resuming Everton had the wind at their backs, and the Chester defence was severely taxed. After a bit of excellent passing on the Chester left, Bobby Davies sent in two swift shots in succession, which Angus had difficulty in clearing. The Chester goal next vigorously assailed and Dixon had to kick out. The Chester forwards played the visitors goal, but without success. Everton quickly retaliated, and a capital run down ended in Dixon being defeated by McGregor. Brilliant passing by the visiting forwards followed, and Milward scored the fourth goal, with a beauty, Chester now bombarded the visitors goal, but the attackers were splendidly repulsed. Final score; Everton 4 goals, Chester Nil. Teams: - Chester, Dixon, goal; R. Roberts and S. Jones, backs; Evans, Williams, and Lee, half-backs; Townsend, Fleming, C. Jones, Lewes, and Davies, forwards. Everton: - Angus, goal; Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs; Shaw, Holt and Parry, half-backs; Gordon, McGregor, Geary, McMillian, and Milward.

Football Dinner at Chester
Presentation of Medals Interesting Speeches.
At the conclusion of the match between Everton and Chester on Thursday evening, by the invitation of Councillor John Jones, (Boughton), the committee and members of the Chester and Chester Reserves teams and a few visitors adjourned for dinner to the Boot Inn, where the medals were presented to the winners in the Hospital Saturday Cup Competition. The trophy won by the club last season in this event occupied a prominent position. Mr. Jones presided, and among these present were Messer's A. Paulis, Hugh Roberts, R. Lythgoe (Hon Sec Liverpool Football Association), Molyneux and Clayton (secretaries of Everton Football Club), Currier (assistance treasurer of Everton club), Piercy (Caergarled), N. Hull and Grice (Chester), Wright (Saltney) &c. Dinner, which was served in capital style by Messrs Baker, and Juns, having been disposed of. The toast of “The Queen” was given from the chair and duly honoured. Mr. Hugh Roberts next proposed a health which he was sure would be received with the greatest pleasure, namely that of Mr. Yerburgh, the president of their club, but after represented their good old City in the house of commons, and they were proved that one so general represented them there (Hear, hear), in their football club, however, they kept clear of politics, and in drinking to Mr. Yerburgh they drunk to him as president of the football club. They had one token of his generously before them that evening in the handsome Hospital Saturday Cup presented by him. A request was made to Mr. Yerburgh for a subscription for providing a Cup, and his reply was “if you will accept a cup from me I shall be very happy to present you with one,” (Applause). Football in Chester was only young at present. They intended, however, to go, forward, and he hoped in a year or two they would be quite capable of giving their friends from Everton a better reception than they had that day.
Mr. Grice; They had a good game today.
Mr. Roberts quite agreed with Mr. Grice. They had a good game, but the hoped that Chester would be able to give them a still better game (Hear, hear). For support they must depend upon gentlemanlike Mr. Yerburgh and their neighbours, and above all upon the outside public paying to go in to witness matches. In conclusion he stated them to pledge the toast with “three times three.” The health was enthusiastically received, and cheers were given for Mr and Mrs Yerburgh.
Mr Hugh Roberts before leaving, as chairman of the Hospital Saturday Competition, thanked the Chester F.C. for having so excellently assisted them in endeavouring to make the Charity Cup competition success. (Hear, hear) in doing so he was only expressing the opinion of every member of the committee. “The Chester football club,” with which the names of Mr. R. Roberts, and Mr. Faulkner were coupled, was submitted by the chairman, who marked that he quite agreed with Mr. Roberts that they in Chester did not get support from the upper and middle classes so much as clubs in other owns did. There was, no doubt that football become the national game throughout England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. It was improving every week, and there was getting altogether an absence of rough play, and he was sure the sooner the better they got clear of it. (Hear, hear). Let every man play the ball instead of playing the man. That afternoon, for instance, he heard spectators calling out, “go for him!” in his opinion that was very bad form. He did not think the players would take any notice of such remarks, but it would be as well if the onlookers refrained from making them, and also the players met without any ill feeling what-ever and played a proper scientific game (A voice “You are quite right,”). He was very pleased with the performance of the Chester Football Club that day, and he was certain that the Everton gentlemen would agree with him when he said they played a really good game, although they were beaten. Cestrians ought to be proud of their players, and he repeated that they ought to support them. He hoped those who intended giving subscription would not delay doing so, for the last season was an unfortunate one. They had got into debt, which was a bad thing to do, but this year they were going on very well indeed, and when they were strengthen the backs which they would not be long in doing, he thought they would have a good prospect before them. (Applause).
Mr. Grice also expressed his approval of the play of the Chester men, which he characterised as being “extremely tricky.” (Hear, hear). The toast was pledged with “musical honours.”
Mr. R. Roberts, in responding, briefly assured the company that the team would do its best and Mr. Faulkner also spoke to the same effect, remarking that the Reserves hoped to make a good show in the Junior Cup Competition. At this stage the chairman presented the medals to the members of the winning eleven in the hospital Saturday competition, observing that they had won them honestly and fairly. They defeated Rhos and Northwich Victoria by five to none, and hoped they would repeat that next time they encountered Northwich (Applause). Amid cheers the medals were presented to the members of the team, which was as follows: - Dixon, R. Roberts, S. Jones, F. Lee, E. McCarthy, T. Fleming, “Q” Jones, B. Lewis, C. Jones, Turner and R. Davies.
“The vice-presidents and Executive of the Chester Football Club” fell to the lot of Mr. Molyneux, of Everton fame, who stated that players in a club were all very well, but unless an organisation had a good Executive the good players would be wanting. He happened to be an officer connected with a small club-(laughter) –well, it was a small club only a few years ago, and there was no reason why Chester, although it was a small club now, should not one day be in the same position as Everton occupied at the present moment. (Hear, hear). He laid stress upon the important of the executive and players of a club coinciding with each other. It was no use the executive and vice-presidents of a club scheming and trying to make a successful unless they had the very heartiest co-operation of every playing member, and it behoved the executive, and the committee especially, to consider those players who reduced their services gratis, as well as those who were the paid servants of the club (Hear, hear). Speaking from his own experience, he could say that the more confidence the committee and executive reposed in the players, who really brought to the exchequer the funds which were required, the greater the success of the club would be. He did not know what their ideals were about professionalism, which was a subject he was feeling rather strongly upon just now. His opinion was that a man who played football, no matter who he was, should have something granted him for so doing if he required it. It was very well for a gentleman with whom the game was merely a pastime to give his services to the Chester f.C. or any other club in the kingdom free, but if a man was earning about 18s a week, and if he could sign as a professional player and receive emoluments of £2 or £3 per week, he (the speaker) said that player was perfectly justified in selling his labour to the highest market. (Hear, hear), he had been in Scotland during the last few days and had brought back with him a player who had given an exhibition that afternoon on their ground. The Scotch talked a good deal about amateurism in Scotland, but he contended that there was no such thing in Glasgow of the City clubs. He said distinctly if a club was prepared to pay a man for his services, let them pay him in a legitimate and straight forward manner, and if a man wants the money let him have it. He had conversation with several prominent members of the Glasgow and Scottish Association, and he had asked them how it was that Scotch players from small club in villages, where their parents resided and where they had been brought up, left these places and went to other clubs in Glasgow, if they obtain no remuneration for it, he has asked how this rumpus had been brought about in the Renton Club, and if it had not been brought about by the paying of members, and they could not deny it. He had asked the vice-president of the Association in Glasgow, and they could not give him an answer satisfactory to his mind the said, with all due respect to the amateur, that if he was prepared to sacrifice his time, his limbs, and his life for nothing, quite right, let him do so, but otherwise a man was perfectly justified in receiving payment, and the club was justified in giving him any remuneration which the exchequer would allow. (Hear.hear). he had great pleasure in proposing the toast, with which he coupled the names of Messrs Paris, Cox, Weston, and Wray. The health's having been warmly pleated, Mr.Paris responded, Mr. Molyneux's remarks concerning professionalism were quite in accordance with his own viewed. The executive were endeavouring to give the inhabitants of Chester the best exposition of the game they could, as instance the bring down of Everton team that day, and he trusted the citizens would support the club. (Hear, hear).
Mr. Cox, in returning thanks said the committee seemed this year to be working harder than ever in furtherance of three interests of the club, and he assured the company that so far as his services were concerned he would be most happy to do all he could (Hear, hear). Mr. Weston, in responding, said he was trying to get a good second team for Chester, and he did not think they would disgrace themselves. They were trying to get t the top of the Junior League and to win the Junior Cup.
Mr. Wray also acknowledge the compliment, remarking that their thanks were due to Mr. Molyneux for having arranged the match, and gave them a chance of wiping out seven goals (Hear, hear). So far as the club was concerned they were going on very nicely, and the reserves team were to be congratulated upon the good form it had shone. He was strongly of opinion that there should be a band of friendship between the two elevens, and that instead of going to Wales for any New men for the senior eleven they ought to obtain them from the second team, (Hear, hear) They had cause to congratulate themselves on their president. Everton, although they had the best team, had not been better presidents than they had. Captain Fluitt was the first. Mr. Hugh Roberts, second, Mr A Pair third, and at the present moment they had Mr. Yerburgh (Applause). He concluded with a eulogistic referee to mr.Molyneux. Everton some few years ago, was of little account in the football world, but ever since that gentleman had been at the head of affairs the club had improved, and so long as Mr. Molyneux had the management he was sure it would occupy its present high position. (Hear,hear). The toast of the “visitors,” proposed by Mr. Paris, was cordially received, and Mr. Grice, on behalf of himself, suitably acknowledges the compliment.
Mr. Lythgoe, in responding, said he saw Chester play Northwich on the previous Saturday, and he was very much struck with their exposition of the game. They were a little weak in combination, and he though with a little practice in the forward division, they would have a good team. The eleven only wanted cultivating, and a little more play with teams like Everton would show the men the points they wished to know. (Hear, hear). Mr. Currier, of the Everton club, in returning thanks, said Chester was a better club their when they beat them by eleven to none. He noticed a great amount of vigour in their play that afternoon, and they gave the visitors a tighter game than they anticipated. He hopes the club would continue to rise as rapidly as Everton had done. (Hear, hear). M
Mr. Clayton, also replied, stating that his hobby was to try to obtain local men in Liverpool to play football so that they would eventually take the places of the men who were playing now. He claimed that they had men in their neighbourhood why if they were properly taken in hand and trained, would lay football as well as any Scotchmen (Hear, hear). If we were as anxious to train local men as they are in Scotland, we would have teams over whom there would be some reason in getting enthusiastic, if was a fallacy to call eleven Scotchmen Everton, or B Rior Sunderland, it simply meant that the club with the longest purse obtained the best players (Hear,hear). Their committee should not lose sight of the fact that they had men in the district equal in staming and speed, and in the general knowledge of the game, to any they would obtain in Scotland (Applause). He unearthed a man last Saturday manned Carmen, and had great hopes of him, in his first appearance against South Shone he showed he was a good man, and if Everton would only do their duty to him he believed they had a player who would take his proper place in the League team before long. The “health of Mr. Scragg” brought the toast list to a close. The proceedings were rendered more enjoyable by the vocal contribution's of Messrs Lou, Parry-who with me, in fine style –S. Jones, A. Paris, and F. Barlow, Mr. R. Buttlerworth accompanied with his usual ability.

October 20 1890. THE Liverpool Courier.
In the presence of upward of 10,000 spectators, the League match between Everton and Bolton Wanderers was played at Anfield on Saturday. Contrary to expectation Gardiner the new Wanderers acquisition from Renton was not playing, and the position of centre half-back was accordingly taken by Kenny Davenport. Latta had not sufficiently recovered from his recent injury to resume his place in the Everton team. Barbour kicked off down, hill the Wanderers having the sun in their faces, and the right wingers made a raid down but were repulsed by Doyle. A mistake by Barbour let Geary have a chance, and he promptly passed to Chadwick, who shot a few inches outside the upright. Hannah drove the left wing back, but they returned, and were nearly getting through, Jarrett eventually running the ball over the line. Some very pretty play was seen between Milward, Chadwick, and Geary, finishing up with a shot by Chadwick, which was easily removed by Sutcliffe. Barbour was penalised for a foul against Holt, though this did not improve matters, McNee having a shy, which was somewhat too lofty to be of effect. Further good play took place on the left, and the ball on being passed over to the right was within an ace of being put through by Gordon. The play was fast and furious, both teams exerting themselves to the utmost in order to score the first. The left wing were up again with the nearest of execution, and Geary sent in a high twisting shot which, went over the bar or the place where the bar should have been, as Sutcliffe in endeavoring to reach the leather knocked the timber down. It was soon replaced, and the game proceeded, much in favour of the homesters. A foul by Jones on Gordon near the goalline was of no advantage, nor was a shot by Geary a few seconds afterwards of any benefit. Holt was cheered for a smart robbery. He had been showing fine form, and then Geary darted off and exchanged to Chadwick, who sent in, Sutcliffe saving on the lines. The Wanderers were now going strongly, and McNee working like a steam engine, harassed the backs, considerably, and Doyle twice cleared grandly. Jarrett, on receiving the ball, gave the charge of Roberts, who kicked wide. Milward dashed away, and cracked a low one, which Sutcliffe saved. Geary and Brady then worked well up, and offered a clear course, which he totally lost. There was no great difference in the form of the teams, the Wanderers attack going in capital style, and their defence being invulnerable. A foul was given against Hannah close on the line, without gain, and the left wing cantering away reached near the line, Milward shaving the upright with a fine attempt. The visitors moving down again were awarded another foul, this being of no use. The home centre and Brady pushed their way up, and the latter, from the touchline tried a splendid shot, Sutcliffe knocking the ball over. Milward took the corner kick and centred nicely, Geary heading prettily to the toes of Sutcliffe who through greatly hampered, saved his charge. Halt-time was called without a score having been made.

From the recommencement Everton held the upper hand, and the ball continually hovered in the Wanderersw quarters. A corner was forced on the left, and although the ball was accurately placed in the centre, it would not be dodged through. The left wing were the pass from a side let Geary have a fair opening, but his shot was miserably poor for a wonder. Davenport carried the ball well up, and Angus meeting it half way, had no difficulty in averting danger. Milward went off with remarkable speed, when Davenport struck to him like a leech, and was applauded for concluding a clever piece or work successfully. Bolton than had a turn at attacking and right well did they do it, Jarett sending in one, which Angus found hard to clear, and in frot, such a near thing did it appear that the visitors claimed that the ball had gone over the line, but in this they were not supported by the referee. After Jarrett had recovered his wind, the home right took up the attack, and Gordon was responsible for another palpable mistake. The Wanderers finding that the opposing right wing was the weakest passed a good deal to the left forwards, but this did not avail them anything. Gordon at length surprised the spectators by centering capitally, and Sutcliffe was just able to clear. Geary had a fine crack, the ball passing outside, and then Milward and Sutcliffe came into collision, and were on the floor for a few seconds. Milward and Chadwick seemed to have the goal at their mercy, and the latter sending in, Geary tried to make it certain only to find Sutcliffe make a most wonderful clearance. An incursion by the visitors and Everton were down again, Gordon again centring well. The homesters were then placed at a great advantage but could not break through, backs getting well into goal and resisting all advances in the most emphatic style. At last the welcome point came. Gordon managed to work round Roberts, and passed to Brady, who steadied himself, and with a clinking scored, Sutcliffe turning the ball in his hands and letting it through. For a few minutes after this the pace was hotter than ever, and it was evident that Everton did not mean to be content with a single point. Gordon went in better fashion, and he and Brady ran down to within short range. The outside left passed to the centre from whence it was returned to Brady who with a magnificently judged high dropping shot from a short distance of the goalmouth place the ball entirely out of reach of Sutcliffe the second success being greeted with tremendous cheering. Final result Everton 2 goals, Bolton Wanderers nil. Teams; Everton: - Angus, goal Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt and Kirkwood, half-backs Gordon, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville and Jones (captain), backs, Paton, Davenport, and Roberts half-backs, Jarrett, Brogan, Barbour, McNee, Munro, forwards.

October 20 1890. No information

October 21 1890
Sir- on Saturday last I paid for admission to the ground at the Walton Breck road entrance a quarter of an hour before the kick off; but I found that there was no room on the large stand at this end. I could see from the lower part of the field that there was room at the top end, not only on the large stand but also on the received side. On returning to the pay gate for the purpose of getting to the other end by means of the passage I found that this passage had been closed. A large crowd was waiting there with the same object and several of them appealed to some members off the committee, who was standing by, to throw the passage open or to allow them to pass along the fringe of the enclosure, so that they might get to the other end. This request however, was refused, out of the committee remarking ‘'I can't help it you must do the best you can.”Naturally the crowd was in a highly indignant state, and at one time I feared would have broken down the barriers and forced their way past the officials. Who is responsible for these abominable arrangements? This is a question which, it is the duty of the committee to inquire into, and have the defect remedied without delay. How anyone with ordinary intellect could fail to foresee such a consequence from the closing of the passage without any substituted means for reaching the other end, it is impossible to imagine. The public pays for admission to the ground, and they have a right to expect that the committee will provide access to such part as is available for a view of the game. Yours etc, Spectator. Liverpool October 20 th 1890.

October 21 1890. The Liverpool Courier.
A friendly game was played at Stoke yesterday, afternoon, before fifteen hundred spectators, in showery weather. Stoke had the best of the first half of the game, and led by two to nothing, Turner scoring both their goals. In the second half, Everton played much better, and after twenty minutes play equalised goals coming from Chadwick, and then Kirkwood. Play fluctuated considerably after this, each team having the advantage alternately, the result being a draw of two goals each. Teams Stoke: - Merritt, goal, Clare, and Underwood, backs, Christie, Clifford, and Brodie half-backs, Balham, Phillips, Turner, Edge, and Dunn, forwards. Everton: -Angus, goal, Doyle and Cresswell backs Kirkwood, Holt (captain) and Parry, half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Hammond, Chadwick, and Milward forwards.

October 25 1890. The Liverpool Courier
It is not in the order of things for a team however, expert, to continue its victorious career to the utter exhaustion of its vital powers. But this is precisely what phenomenal scoring means, and now that the Evertonians have slackened down to more rational procedure, it is urged that the team has reached the tenth of its fame, and that already a retrograde movement has set in. it must be remembered however, that the team had been hard worked, and that for the moment casualties have interfered with the fine harmony of action which, characterized the earlier games. This alone, is sufficient to account for a diminution of the goal average, which forced such a remarkable feature at the commencement of the season, and for a length of time afterwards. The matches at Perry Bar and Stoke, both of which remained drawn, are pointed to as an evidence of failing powers; but the fact seems to have been overlooked-perhaps conveniently-that Aston Villa opposed Everton with a reorganized and powerful team. Whereas the leaders of the League suffered materially in the continued absence of Latta. Then as regards events at Stoke, the fact does not appear to be generally known that Everton were playing no fewer than five reserves men, and to draw upon foreign soil and under such circumstances was distinctly a creditable feat. Much also has been said of a disparaging character in reference to last Saturday's display against Bolton Wanderers, who were so easily beaten in the first encounter of the season, that nothing less than a similar result was expected. That, of course, was most unreasonable. Everton were still without Latta, and only the players themselves are able to realise the advantages they labour under the absence of their expert ‘'outside right.'' By all accounts it was a game of “hammer and tongs” the evident intention of the Wanderers being to smash up the combination of the opposing side, but for a second time they failed to score, and were beaten by a couple of goals to nil. The performance of the Everton League men is so remarkable that they speak for themselves and are therefore appended: -

Goals Goals
Everton……….4 West Bromwich Abion ………1
Everton ………5 Wolverhampton Wanderers .0
Everton ………5 Bolton Wanderers…………..0
Everton ……..2 Accrington ………………….1
Everton ……..7 Derby County ……………….0
Everton ……...2 Aston Villa……………………2
Everton ……..2 Bolton Wanderers ……………0
total ………27………………………………….4

Goals Goals
Everton …….11 Chester …………………….0
Everton ………3 Bootle ………………………2
Everton ………5 Sheffield Wednesday ……...1
Everton ………1 Stoke ………………………...0
Everton ……...2 Stoke ………………………...2
Everton ……..4 Chester ……………………...0
Everton ……..2 Sheffield United ……………1
Everton ……..1 Third Lanark ……………..…1
Total……..29…total ………………7

Here in 15 matches we have scored 56 goal scored, as against 11 by opposing teams.

October 27 1890. The Liverpool Courier
The return League match between Everton and the West Bromwich Ablion was played at Anfield on Saturday in dull weather, and at the time of the start there would scarely be more than 9,000 people present. The ground was rather heavy owing to the rain, but it seemed in fair condition considering the amount of rain fallen. Hannah was absent from the Everton team, his place being taken by Campbell. Teams as follows; Everton: - Angus, goals Campbell, and Doyle, backs, Parry, Holt (captain), and Kirkwood, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Horton, and Powell backs, Horton, Perry, and Dyer half-backs Bassett, Nicholls, Woodall, Pearson, and Burns, forwards. The visitors kicked off, and went away on the right, Doyle keeping them back. A momentary visit was then made by the right wingers to the visitors quarters, but the corresponding wing of the ‘'Throstles'' made better progess and Bassett advancing as far as the goal line tried to centre, and sent behind the post. Milward cantered over half the field, but his concluding shot was too lofty. The visiting attack took the ball well down and Doyle had to give a corner. This was badly taken, but another followed right away, and being finely placed Dyer neatly shot through. Powel cleverly repelled the advance of the Evertonians, and again the visitors travelled along, Woodall getting right in front of goal, and just as he was taking his kick Angus rushed out and tripping the ball with his toe it struck the upright and rebounded into play- a narrow escape from another goal. There was now a more equal state of play Everton obtaining a footing well at their opponents' and Chadwick headed the ball grandly in, but Reader was too smart. A claim was made for something or other but a goal kick was given. Burns made a fine dribble, and from the goal line sent in a rattling high dropping shot, which Angus turned out with difficult. Perry at once returned, and Angus was unable to stop the progess of the ball owing to Woodhall who was off-side impending him, and consequently there was no point allowed. Geary pulled up a lot of ground, and after passing all he should have scored, but his shot, went high over the bar. There was a period of pressure by the homesters, but no entrance, could be effected, Reader treating all attacks with the utmost coolness. Again the Throstles found their way along and Burns, with a neat short shot scored, the second. The fate was against Everton, as Doyle made an error in kicking. A shot was sent in, and returned by Angus, only a few yards, and then Nicholls got his kick in with proper effect. Midfield play ensued, and then Latta compelled Powell to give a corner, from which nothing result. Geary not in a clinking long attempt, and after Reader quietly kicking away, Chadwick made another try which met with the same fate and then Latta missed a fair opening. The Albiouites only got across the half-way line once, the play setting down very much to the advantage of the homesters, and after Geary had made a well meant endeavor to score, Milward dashed off, and centred, Latta shooting past Reader and tremendous excitement. Half-time result, Everton 1 goal, West Bromwich Albion 3 goals.

From the re-start, Everton careered away with rare dash, and with the ball continually moving only a yard or two in front of Reader, there was plenty of food for excitement amongst the spectators. Milward kicked in beautifully, and the ball touched the crossbar and dropped into play. Only with the utmost pertinacity could the visitors keep their charge from suffering another reverse, and time after time they saved it, by the merest chance. Eventually they were successful as from a foul in the goalmouth, one of the Throstles, touching the ball, a free kick was taken by Doyle, who sent in hard, and the ball passed through off one of the players (Holt). More pressure on the part of the homesters with a few hairbreadth escapees from downfall, and then the visitors had a turn at the work without event. Their exhibition in the neighborhood, of the goal not being long. Latta had a knock on his injured leg, and the game was consequently delayed for a few minutes. Play being resumed without his assistance. Geary immediately had a smack at the goal with an electric shy, Reader dealing with it in the usual brilliant style. Brady had a bit of a tussle with one of the opponents on the floor, and the referee to be more careful admonished both. Burns pushed his course up the field, and concluded with an ill-directed shot. Just after Latta resumed operations, a foul was given against the visitors on account of one of the back division tripping Geary. No benefit occurred, but Geary and Chadwick sent in a couple which glazed the uprights. Everton were menacing in really dashing fashion, and every minute it seemed as if a point would occur, put the gallant efforts were without avail, shot after shot missing the mark by only a few inches. Centre field exchanges took place, and then Doyle missed Bassett, who ran right up and nearly scored, as Angus with Doyle and the forwards on him, could scarily remove the ball. Final result Everton 2 goals, West Bromwich Albion 3 goals.

Daily Gazette for Middleborough - Wednesday 29 October 1890
It is rumored that Hope Robertson, centre forward of the Patrick Thistle F.C, and once a member of the Royal Arsenal, has left Glasgow, his destination being Everton.  It is said that Robertson is to have 50 pounds down and a 3 pound a week.  This is Robertson's third visit to England, and he has twice been reinstated by the Scottish Professional Committee.