September 1890



August 16 th 1890. The Liverpool Football Echo.


With the vast interest now taken by the public all over the country in Association football, it is only natural in a centre like Liverpool, where flourishes one of the best managed and most successful clubs in the three kingdoms, that preparations should be made to granule with the extensive business that is looked forward to during the forthcoming season. As soon as the “close” time commenced last May the Everton Executive, who fortunately had the handling of a large surplus of money from last season, set to work to improve their ground, one of the greatest necessities being better drainage. This has been attended to on a most elaborate and extensive scale, which, it is hoped, will have a good and permanent effects in keeping the field free from the puddles of mud experienced in past seasons, and which were a source of annoyance to everybody. Stand accommodation have also been increased, and a great improvement to the appearance of the ground is the erection of a pretty and serviceable office for the treasurer and his officials, the principal architectural features of which are that those who have the superintending of the money-taking can have the whole of the pay-gates and their machinery under immediate control. Altogether, the ground presents a splendid contrast to the appearance it had at the close of the past season, when it was beggared and barron. The grass is luxuriously long and thick, and if only it could be got to stand the rouge usage it will soon now be put to, and retain its verdancy, the hearts of the committee would be made happy. The executive of the club met on Monday night to transact some important business. A proposal was made to give the Bootle Football Club a benefit match in order that they might be able to extricate themselves out of the monetary difficulties, which beset them. The “gate” is looked upon to yield about £200, and in the position the Bootle organisation now finds itself a sum of money like this would prove a perfect windfall and blessing. Probably the match will be played on September 8, but as the Everton Club have an engagement with Chirk for that date, negotiations will have to be made to postpone the latter to a future time. The club will play two first class teams this season. The first, known, as the League Eleven, will be captained again by A. Hannan and the committee have appointed J. Holt to be sub-captain. The second or “Everton” Eleven will be skippered by its old captain George Dobson, and he will have G. Martin as his deputy. Mr. Molyneux, the secretary has complied a first class list of fixtures, for both teams, but with a view to getting one of the international matches played on the Everton ground, he has left three dates open, which are the only vacancies on the list.



August 18 1890. The Daily Post

This Annual gathering took place on Saturday, at Greenwich Park, Aintree, leaving Castle Street at two o'clock, the party numbering 100, were conveyed in three waggonettes, the route taken being through West Derby and Knowsley. On arrive at the ground, a programme of ten events-all of which were hotly contested and keenly watched by those assembled. Mr. Houlding,said that no doubt the friends of the club would be glad to know that last season's team would again do duty for them, and that the executive's had arranged with a few others a first class player to fill vacancies should occasion arise. At the conculsion of the sports the vice, president (Mr. Barclays) distributed the prizes, which were contributed by well wishes of the club, and of a costly nature, to the successful competitors. It may here be stated that all the players with the exception of Latta. And Doyle were present also the new centre forward (Mcgregor) for the Everton team. Doyle is at present detained in Scotland, as he is matched for £20 a game quoits against a well now Broxburn. Mr. Molneux has been very successful in getting together a strong eleven to occupy the Anfield enclosure when the first are away. The following were the prizewinners in the various competitions on Saturday. 250 yards handicapped 1 st Geary 2 nd Nidd 3 rd Martin. Throwing Cricket ball 1 st Nidd, (316 feet) 2 nd Martin. Three legged race R.Jones and A.Milward, Veterans race (100 yards) 1 st Jackson, 2 nd Campbell half mile handicap 1 st Nidd, 2 nd R.Jones, 3 rd Geary Long jump 1 st Hannah (18 feet) 2 nd Nidd, sach race Milwand and Campbell 100 yards, handicapped 1 st Geary 2 nd Hammond 3 rd Martin, football dribbling 1 st Chadwick 2 nd Brady 3 rd Kirkwood, high jump Brady and Nidd equal (4ft 4ins).



August 23 rd 1890. The Liverpool Football Echo.

A few more day's patience and the Association hinge which keeps footballers from indulging in their game winter and summer will be unfastened, and we shall have commence another maddening season. During the past few years Association football has developed into a very exciting pastime for the people, not confined to any particular class. From a purely recreative sport it has swollen into a gigantic show requiring shrewed and careful business management in order that the large and extravagant demands now made by professional players may not altogether eat up the takings at the gate. As a proof of this, take the figures read out by the treasurer at the last annual meeting of the Everton Club, now one of the most successful and flourishing football organisations in the kingdom. Mr. W. Jackson, the official stated that during the past season the receipts amounted to £5957 3s 10d, and the expenditure had been £5,478 16s 10d. The principal items in the latter figures, of course were players wages and travelling and other like expenses incurred on their behalf, so this immence sum of money, it will be seen was only barely sufficient to keep the show going, leaving very little balance in hand to put the house in order for another season. The great anxiety now shown by clubs to secure the best, and most noted football players makes the latter very independent about linning out their services, and as a consequence, large sums of money have to be paid to secure the best and most eligible men. The Football League to a large extent has promoted the competition. This organisation in the space of a couple of seasons has succeeded in doing for the game what years and years of cup contests have failed to do. But whether the tremendous excitement and interest now taken in these championship games can be maintained any great length of time is another thing. During the year several important alterations in League rules have been made. So jealous were the clubs of each other's players that a system of “poaching” began, and to stop this a stringent rule was passed, which meant nothing less than expulsion from the brotherhood –saucily patracised. Longing eyes were set last season on several of the Everton men, and a great amount of tact was necessary on the part of the club management to keep the team complete for the forthcoming season. In this, however, they succeeded, and have also added additional strength by engaging Angus, late of Sunderland, as goodkeeper. With Charlie Parry as a reserve half-back and general utility man, the Everton League team for the forthcoming season will be as under: - Angus, goal, Full-backs, Right, Hannah, Left Doyle, Half-backs, Right, Kirkwood, Centre, Holt, Left Campbell, Forwards, Right wing, Latta, Brady, Centre, Geary, Left Wing, Milward Chadwick. Hannan will again skipper the party, and he will have for his deputy Johnny Holt, a compliment paid to the “little un” by the committee. It is to be hoped they will be as successful as they were last season, when out of 72 matches played they were only beaten 10 times, and won no less than 62 scoring 310 goals, against 90. The club have also got together a very capable reserve team, which will occupy the Anfield enclosure each Saturday the League team is absent. Amongst the second or Everton, team players will be found a couple of Scotch players, McGregor (from Alexandra, near Dumbarton), and Gordon (Renton), who have excellent credentials as footballers, but the eleven cannot be settled into place until a match or two has been played. The supporters of the club will also be pleased at the reappearance of George Dobson, who will have charge of this team. “Dobby” is a good player, but he is rather too much in the habit of getting out of his place on the field, and this fault he will have to mend. The “Everton” team will be taken from the following names: - Goal, Smalley, Murray, Backs, Dobson, Cresswell, Hammond, Half-backs, Martin, R. Jones, Parry, and Nidd, Forwards, Gordon, WH. Jones, McGregor, Murray, Godwin, and Abbott. The ground has been greatly improved during the close time, and those who have not seen it since last back end will be pleased at its appearance.



September 1 st 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton have been fortunate enough to retain their last years League team, almost in its entirely, the only changes being so far as completed the superession of Cox for Angus in goal and the strengthening of the half back department by the inclusion of Campbell who will share the left wing with Parry Preston North End's phenomenal success was due to their policy of depending during successive seasons on an almost identical team and Everton having secured a combination of experts, intend, presumably, to tread in the same lines. A team drawn together from all quarters of Great Britain, which last year could finish second, and almost first in the League as results of their initial season in each other'' company, is one to be admired, and jealously guarded, and with such good early credentials, the ensuing campaign may be safely and confidently left in the hands of Hannah with Holt as his lieutenant, and his tried colleagues. The only subject for doubt is in the number of Reserves men in case of accidents or indisposition; but if Dobson, McGregor (of Alexandra), Gordon (of Renton), Hammond and others Of the ‘'Everton'' team justify by their play what is expected there should be small need for anxiety when in emergency they are called up.



September 2 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The campaign at Anfield opened last evening when the Everton League team opposed Chester. The weather was dull and threatening, notwithstanding which there were about five thousand spectators present. With the exception of Murray in goal, Everton played exactly the same team as did duty last season. Chester kicked off, and the homesters at once assumed an aggressive attitude Geary sending outside the posts. Play following the kick out with fast, and some exciting incidents ensued in front of the Chester posts. A corner kick was awarded, Everton, but which proved futile. Shortly afterwards Latta shot the first goal for Everton, this a few minutes later being followed by a second point from Brady who took the Chester custodian unawares. The visitors forwards now made a dashing run down the field, and looked like scoring, until Holt rushed up, and cleared the danger. A pretty passing movement by the home van then transferred play to the Chester goal, which almost captured by a fast shot from Geary. Chester now made a plucky attempt to score, but the final shot went the wrong side of the posts, although a favourable opportunity presented itself. Chadwick shot the third goal after 25 minutes play, this almost immediately being followed by a fourth by Geary. Play was all in favour of the home team, and Parry now shot the sphere past Dixon, Brady repeated the performance, and at the interval Everton were leading by six goals to nil.

Upon resuming, Everton attacked hotly, Roberts saving grandly. The home forwards quickly returned to the attack, and Milward shot past Dixon, the same play repeating the doze a few minutes later. Chester made a gallant attempt to invade their opponents stronghold, but the Everton halves were playing a superior game, and the visitors were frustrated in their purpose. Now Milward and Chadwick got away on the left, and the latter made the score 9-0 in favour of the ‘'Leaguers.'' The visitor's forwards made several attempts to break though the Everton ranks, but their efforts were in vain. The home left were working together effectively, and the tenth goal came from the foot of Milward. Play now slowed down a little but again Dixon was pressed, and saved grandly. The Chesterians were still playing a plucky game, only to be met, however, by a sterling defence. Close upon time the home team scored again (Milward), and gained an easy victory by 11 goals to nil. Teams; Everton: - Murray (j) goal, Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs, Holt, Kirkwood, and Parry, half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward. Forwards. Chester, Dixon, goal, Roberts, and Jones backs, Thompson, McCarthy (e), and McCarthy (t), half-backs, Fleming, Williams, Jones, Lewis, and Davies forwards.



September 5 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Considerable interest was centred in this match, which took place at Anfield last night, no doubt owing to the fact that both of the executives of the senior team have been endeavoring to make their second string equal to any in the county. Losing the toss, Joynson kicked off for Bootle, in the presence of about 3,000 spectators, and after some play in midfield Hammond raced along on the left, and passing over to McGregor the latter forced a corner from Brown, which, however, be cleared with a fine lob. Bootle taking up the reins now went racing along on the left, but Cresswell, crossing over to the aid of Dobson frustrated the well meant effort, and Gordon getting hold made tracks towards Porterfield. Athkinson however, was wide of the mark. By some pretty passing of the visitors they again got well down, but Dobson vigorously drove the leather to Gordon, who he turn gave to Hammond, that right winger beating Porterfield with a beauty, a claim for offside not being sustained, rather hard lines for Bootle. After the restart play continued of a give and take nature, and no furthers scoring taking place, and Everton crossed over with a goal to the good. On changing ends, Parry took the place of Athkinson, and after a severe scrimmage round the Bootle goal, Gordon sent in a warm handful to Porterfield, which he unable to deal with. With the second reverse, the visitors showed much better football, but when near Smalley mulled their chances. After a couple of corners had been conceded to Everton, Hammond was enabled by a pretty pass from Murray to head the third point past Porterfield. Everton now had matters much their own way although at times the visitors front rank did some good work, but they never could break though the defence of the home backs. McGregor scored the fourth goal for Everton, five minutes from the close, causing Bootle to retire beaten by 4 goals to nil. Everton Reserves; Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain), and Cresswell backs, Martin, Jones, and Parry, half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Athkinson, Murray, and Hammond, forwards. Bootle: - Porterfield, goal, Brown and Connell, backs Moffatt, Hobley, and Dodds, half-backs, Deighton, Lambert, Joynson, Anderson and Deighton, forwards Referee Mr Lythgoe



September 8 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

The first League match between West Bromwich Albion and Everton League was played at West Bromwich on Saturday in delightful weather, the temperature however, being somewhat to warm for fast football. Angus goal, Hannah (captain) and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt and Campbell, half backs, Latta, Brady, Geary Chadwick, and Milward forwatds, represented Everton . The West Bromwich team was as follows: - Reader goal, Green and Powell backs, Horton, Perry, and Bayliss half-backs, Bassett, Nicholls, Dyer, Pearson, and Roberts, forwards. The Evertonians arrived at Birmingham at half-past twelve, and after two hours stay there they drove to West Bromwich. The kick off was taken very shortly after the appointed time, a quarter past four in the presence of over 3,000 people, the home team having to face the glaring suns. Holt quickly checked the attack, and giving the ball to the left wing progess for the goal was made. Green stepped in, kicked over the line, Bassett and Nicholls carried along until Doyle arrested them, and there the whole line of visiting forward went away, Brady putting the leather over the bar. Pearson and Roberts were the next to rush down, but the last named sent outside. The home defence was really capital, and the advance of the visitors were invariable met with strong opposition. Bassett made a fine sprint and passing over to Pearson a goal was scored, the shooter not having anybody but Angus in front of him. Latta was the next distinguishing character, and the centre made by him was productive of a corner, but this did not bring any grist to the mill. They continued to hold their position, and Chadwick had a smack at the goal, the ball just passing outside the post. Some exchanges between the backs ensued, Dyer fouled Holt, and from the free kick the visitors rushed well into the goalmouth, Chadwick, Campbell and Brady propelling splendid shots, which were grandily repelled in quick succession by Reader. Some very neat passing was shown by the Everton advance guard this, however, being rendered void by Chadwick kicking over the line. Dyer made tracks for Everton's defence, until Hannah ran in, and gave his opponents the privilege of a throw, the leather reach the Albion quarters. Pretty passing play, especially by Latta and Brady was shown, and some very neat shots ensued. The Evertonians now pressed very severely, clustering round Reader's upright like a swarm of bees, shot after shots was sent in, but the Albion custodian was equal to emergencies, and fisted and kicked away. From this the homesters gathered well round the goal, relief, again being found in Hannah. More clever passing were exhibited by the Everton forwards, and Chadwick kicked into the goalkeepers hands, Geary immediately after sending in a stringer, which, unfortunately went a few inches beyond the mark. He received consolation a few minutes later, as the right wing have him the globe, which he, without hesitation, popped past the goalkeeper, who had not the slightest chance with it. This seemed to invigorate the visitor's and a couple of corners were forced, but as Powell, upon whom the greater part of the defence devolved, was in grand condition there was no further gain. However, the Evertonians were apparently gaining greater confidence in themselves, and it was not for sometime that the Throstles could get beyond Hannah and Doyle, Geary in the meanwhile butting the qualities of the goalkeeper. Dyer and Nicholls at length careered wildly down the field until Doyle upset their calculations, and turned the ball over in the custody of Milward and Chadwick. These two ran off and the former made a gallant try which might perhaps have drawn blood had not Geary intercepted and altered the course of the ball. The home attack took smart advantage of this mistake, and some highly exciting episodes were witness in the Everton goalmouth Doyle and Hannah having all their work cut out in preventing the ball from finding a way through. Geary had the ball at his toes, and with Latta, he was taking stock of his chances of scoring, when play was stopped on account of a sight injury to Perry. In half a minute Perry had recovered sufficiently to resume his work, and after some midfield exchanges half-time was called with the score: - Half-time result West Bromwich Albion 1 goal, Everton 1 goal. After the interval the visitors were about to go off, when Horton pulled Milward up. Nicholls was then in possession, and a dash was made for the Everton citadel, but a kick behind prevented further incidents. Geary and Latta took up the running and a fine combination, in which the remainder of the forwards participated, placed the ball in a good position. Powell held out a shot from the right, and then Brady was responsible for a chinking attempt, Reader fisting the ball over the bar. The corner availed them nought, but Geary very shortly afterwards nearly beat Reader. A pretty passing among the Evertonians followed and Geary again defeated Reader by a shot with which he lierally had no chance. The Throstles now played up with greater spirit and a determined assault was made on the Everton defence. Bayliss propelled a beautiful one, which Angus was just in a position to reach. Another one was sent in, but Doyle was on the spot, and he relieved the congestion. Geary was at it again and turned the leather over in the left wing a corner then being forced. From this the ball was nicely placed, and Campbell scored the third goal. The home men at this time were entirely beaten, the combination of the Evertonians being really irresistible, and Brady from a short range was easily able to notch the fourth point. Shot after shot was banged in, but Reader repelled them, who was proving himself a guardian of no mean abilities. The leather was not allowed to travel far away from the goalkeeper, and for some time his charge was in jeopardy. At length the backs forced the attack away, and from this time until the conclusion of the game, the ends were visited in turn, the visitors holding their opponents if anything in a somewhat cheap fashion. Final result West Bromwich Albion 1 goal Everton 4 goals.



September 8 1890. The Liverpool Courier

There was only a moderate attendance at Anfield on Saturday to witness the match between Everton and Nantwich. The ground was soft, but both teams were in good trim. Nantwich had their full Cup team up with the exception of Shenton, Everton also having a strong team. Hollowood kick off. Everton, however, were the first to make the running, Hammond missing a somewhat easy chance of scoring. Keeping up the pressure, a grand pass to Gordon enabled him to score an easy goal. Even play followed, and a good rush by by the visitors resulted in a futile corner, Parry easily cleaning the danger. Gordon and Hammond ran and passed neatly, but McGregor shot yards wide of the mark. Halsall, the Nantwich custodian, was tested several times, and saved in a smart manner until Hammond beat him with a fast shot. The game continued to be in favour of Everton, Bobby Jones being in grand form, giving his forwards lots of chances, of which they were not slow to avail themselves, Hammond having hard lines with a grand ‘'daisy-cutter'' which was splendidly kept out by Halsall. The visitors shaped better, and gave the home defence something to do, Smalley, being too good for them when in front of goal, relieved and play was again in the Nantwich half, Parry, from a pass by Godwin, shot right into the goalmouth, and after Gordon and McGregor had failed to find an opening, he transferred the leather to Murray , who promptly scored the third goal. Murray put in tricky work in front of goal, and Hammond put the finishing touch on, but ‘'offside'' was successfully claimed against the latter play. The sun, which was shining in the faces of the Nantwich players, was very strong, and the game slowed down considerably, but was always in Everton's favour, their being too good for the Cheshire men. A good movement initiated by Murray was spoiled by a wild pass by Hammond, and Nantwich rushed the leather out of danger, and taking play to the home goalmouth, Dobson conceded a corner, but nothing was done with it, half-time arriving with the score Everton Reserves 3 goals Nantwich nil. McGregor kicked off, and Nantwich quickly took the ball over the Everton lines. Everton changed the venue, and Godwin and Billington had a tussle, which was ended in a corner, from which Murray scored the fourth goal. McGregor was cheered for good play in the centre, and the visitors goal was nearly captured on two occasions. The visitors had a turn and shaped well until Bull shot wide off the mark. Halsall again saved in champion form. The visitors were having more of the game than in the first half, but were seldom dangerous in front of goal, and Everton were not passing with the same precision as before. Godwin had hard lines with a long shot, of which there were too many, the ball just going over the bar. Hammond was prominent with two shots, which were repelled by Crawford. ‘'Hands'' against Gordon gave the visitors a chance. Parry did not allow them to be long in his half, and changed venue with a hugh kick, which resulted in a futile corner, well placed by Godwin Hammond just kicking over the bar. The visitors followed suit their corner however giving Godwin a grand chance. He accepted it, and ran right up the field, but found Wright a stumbling block, and play settled down the centre. Not to be denied Everton gained a corner in quick succession, from both of which the homesters had hard lines, their final shots missing only be a few inches. Murray started a pretty concerted movement, which was taken up by Godwin and McGregor, but Wright was enabled to rob them. W.Jones returned the leather to Gordon who shot in grandly, and Halsall only saved at the expense of a corner, from which McGregor scored the fifth goal. Murray was deservedly cheered for a grand run and shot, which resulted in the sixth goal being scored. All though the game the Saltmen did not shape well in front of goal. This is a bad fault, and will have to be eradicated if they hope to reach the final round of the Cheshire Cup again. The game proceeded all though much on these lines. A goal for Everton, a rush by Nantwich right up to the goal, and then easily robbed by the Everton half-backs, who all though played a grand game. Final result Everton Reserves 6 goals, Nantwich nil. Everton:- Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, R. Jones, and Parry, half-backs, Gordon, Godwin, McGregor, Murray, and Hammond, forwards.



September 9 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

The match promoted by the Everton Club in aid of the Bootle Club was played last evening at Anfield, and the magnanimous initiation of the Everton Executive was on the whole well responded to by the public, considering the early start, the extra charge, and the reversal of form shown by the respective sides on Saturday. When the assembly was at its greatest proportion it numbered about 6,000. Everton had not quite their full league team and were represented as follows Everton: - Murray (j), goal, Hannah (a) (captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood (d), Holt (j), and Parry (c), half-backs, Latta (a), McGregor, Geary (f), Chadwick (e), Milward (a), forwards. Bootle: - Jardine (d), goal, Woods (f), and Robinson (b), backs, McAuley, Hughes, and Allsopp, half-backs, Murray, Foster, Joynson, Jamieso (captain), and Hasting, forwards. Bootle started, but were soon on the defence, which stood them in good stead, though the attack was taken up with energy particularly on the right. The visitors got down once or twice, Hasting leading a fine raid; but there was no getting though at closer quarters, and then come smart manoeuving the indulged in by the Everton vanguard, among whom McGregor was often conspicuous. Many good shots were levelled at goal, but Jardine assisted chiefly by Robinson, parried all the straight ones out of the goalmouth. Despite the good tackling of Allsopp, the ball was kept well within Bootle half, and after some 15 minutes, Hughes missed his kick, and Geary taking full advantage of the chance, thus afforded scored the opening goal, from a centre range. A fine piece of goal defence immediately afterwards by Jardine, who was hard tested from the right, called forth a cheer of recognition, which was renewed when a thick fusilade from Milward's excellent centre shot was equally well tided over. A run on the right and a shot by Latta, which was very near taking effect, brought the interval after half an hours play. Everton leading by a goal to nil. On resuming Doyle sent to Milward, who centred, Jardine stopping a tame shot, and this Geary supplemented with a keener one along the ground, again to find Jardine safe. The Everton right wing then had the ball under control, but could do nothing effective. Better use was made of the opportunity on play being taken to centre, a couple of good shots having to be cleared. Hasting and Jamieson now broke away, and got far down, and Murray meeting the ball, drove it through after a slight tussle, thus equalising. No sooner, however, had the restart been made than Geary raced down, and passing, Chadwick put his side ahead with a splendid aim. The Everton defence proved sounds, and permitted no encroachments. Hannah was the most frequently called upon. Bootle were penned up for a length of time, but the play was of an easy character. A clever bit of toe work by Chadwick once nearly reduced the Bootle colours a third time, and this was soon followed by a grandly shot goal, by Latta. Play continued in the neighbourhood of Jardine and a somewhat tame game resulted in favour of Everton by 3 goals to 2, Bootle scoring a second time in semi-darkness (Murray) a moment of so before the finish. The net proceeds we are informed amount to £135.



September 11 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

This match was played on the Anfield enclosure last nigh, in the presence of nearly 1,000 spectators. Losing the toss, Everton started against the sun and wind, and Martin fastening on the ball, hostilities immediately took place around the visiting goal, Gordon all but scoring when Owen with a timely lob averted danger. The Chirk men now had a fine concerted run, and after some pretty passing on the right Davies caused Smith to fist out. Coming again the visitors became dangerous, and Nidd had to concede a corner to Owen, but the home custodian cleared grandly. Everton now went off, McGregor being cheered for a dashing sprint in the centre, and passing over to Gordon, the latter tipped Lightfoot, who enabled McGregor to score the first point for Everton with a low shot. After a great deal of lofly kicking in midfield, Smalley was called upon to fist away a well meant effort from Davies, a feat which Gordon a minute later caused Hiles to repeat. Hammond and Murray were now conspicuous by some tricky play on the left but Griffiths driving them back, Davies again called upon Smalley, but no further scoring took place. Everton Reserves 1 goal, Chirk nil.

Resuming Parry enabled Hammond and Murray to get down, and Lightfoot justed missed by seeding outside the post. Dobson and Cresswell now frustated several good attempts by the visitors front rank, and Gordon dashing along on the right centre of splendid to McGregor, who however, headed Mt. Hammond, who was playing a good game, again put Everton on the attack, and after some clever tactics by McGregor, Gordon and Lifghtfoot, the latter beat Hiles for the second time. Smarting under the reverse the visitors by good passing however, round Smalley, and during a scrimmage rushedthe center through while the Everton custodian was on the ground. Even play now ensued and no further scoring took place . Everton thus winning by 2 goals to 1. Teams Everton: - Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain), and Cresswell, backs, Parry, Martin, and Nidd, half-backs, Gordon, Lightfoot, McGregor, Murray, and Hammond. Chirk: - Hiles, goal, Griffiths, and Wynnes, backs, Davies, Owen and Balter Rogers Mates, Jones, Owen, and Morris forwards. Referee J.Rogers.



September 13 th 1890. The Liverpool Daily Post

The benefit match given by the Everton executive last Monday evening will throw upwards of £100 into the exchequer of the Bootle Club. Though this sum falls considerably short of what the gate at Anfield was expected to yield on the occasion, no doubt Mr. John Prescott, the financial secretary to the Bootle club, will greatly appreciate the “mite” when the cheque is handed over. The charitable instinct of the Everton Club will soon become proverbial, for during the last year or two they have rendered a helping band to several in need of it in a manner when is highly creditable to their orgainsation. Perhaps, however, the committee are advocates of “reciprocity.”

At West Bromwich Everton showed better conditions and training than the Albion team, and in the end fairly played their opponents to a stand still, as they have done every other team they have met so far this season. This fact so disappointed a large number of the home partisans that crowds left the enclosure before the match was finished. Up to half-time the game was a good one, and first appearance indicated that the Albionites were about to repeat the closing scene of last season's League contests when the Stoney-lane boys ruined Everton's hopes of securing the championship honours of 1889-90; but last Saturday the “Throstles” shot their bolt in the first half after scoring the initial goal, and Everton finished up easy winners by 4 goals to 1. This solitary public of the losers was scored shortly after commencing play, the ball being kicked over Angus's head by Pearson, and although the Everton custodian made a splendid effort to get hold it went beyond his reach. With such a shot as Peason scored, goalkeepers, however, good have no chance, but Angus did his best to save it. Throughout he kept goal in splendid style, and Everton are to be congratulated on securing him when there is such a princely demand for his likes just now. Reader (Robert's successor between the posts) was well tested before Geary, from a twenty yards' range scored a “bull's eye” for his side –quite one of the old sort –and from this period onwards the Liverpool club, made a continuous bombardment on reader's charge, the splendid combination of the forwards, backed up by superior conditions, being too much for the opposition. The other points were scored by Geary, Campbell from a nicely worked “corner” by Latta and Brady. The West Bromwich men were palpably out of condition, and will do better after some hard work, but the new hands introduced into the organisation –with the exception of Reader –do not appeal to be very great “catches.”



September 15 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

The League match between Everton and the Wanderers was played at Everton on Saturday in fine weather. About 14000 spectators being present. Teams Everton:- Augus goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Kirkwood Holt, and Campbell, half-backs,, Latta, Bardy, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wanderers: - Rose, goal, Baugh and Mason backs, Fletcher, Allen, and Lowden half-backs, Wykes, Worrall, Thomson, Wood, and Bowden, forwards. Thomson kicked off for the Wanderers, and Geary getting hold went off, and shot in, but he was rather wide. Everton held the superiority, and Chadwick shot over. The homesters continued to keep their end, and Brady and Latta had shots. The visiting backs had a great amount of work to do, but they were doing it well, Milward sent in a fine one from the corner, and Rose apparently got it out from behind the line. Brady had an attempt to return it with proper effect, but Rose was not to be caught napping. Midfield play followed, Chadwick being the foremost with the tricky bite of play, while Doyle checked the advances of Worrall and Wykes. Geary went off with a short sprint, and passed to Latta, who was pulled up by Mason. Geary and Brady play neat bit of combination, Allen being the stumbling block. He gace the ball to Thompson, who carried off and turned the ball over to Worrall and Wykes, and those two ran over the line. From the kick off Latta, and Brady placed very prettily, but the former slowly knocked the leather over the line. A foul was given against the visitors, and again the sphere was taken over the line. From this Thompson and Worrall went away in grand style, and the ball reverting to Woods, this player put the ball over the bar. Latta rattled away and passed across, Fletcher, in endeavoring to punt out, giving a corner. Chadwick took the kick, and as he sent it a great height in the air behind the line it was of no use. The visiting right worked their way down and Worrall had a shy which was of no use. Owing to a mistake by Fletcher, Geary, Brady and Milward did all they could, and the latter sent in a long out which just went above the bar. Again Fletcher made an error of judgement and this gave Brady the opening, an erratic shot upsetting all calculations. The ‘'Wolves'' were now having more the game, and but for Doyle that might have rushed in. he made a good relief and Geary obtaining possession dashed off, and turned over to Latta. The outside right beat Mason and Propelled a beautiful low shot, which Baugh barley managed to repel. Kirkwood at once returned, Rose fisted out, and Milward, bursting in, shot through, the point, however, not being looked upon as valid, owing to an objection for offside play. At this point the Wanderers were certainly having the worst of it, and Allen from a mis-kick, almost gave his opponents a goal as Rose had to knock it away. Brady was responsible for almost miserable attempts, the leather going high over the bar. Although from a short range. The visitors made a dash down, only a fitting visit, however, as Hannah were up in arms and touched the ball to Geary. He, Latta, and Brady were in the van, and the last named supplied Rose with a hearty merely inside the upright. The ‘'Wolves'' goalkeeper was not allowed to remain quiet, and Latta, Brady and Geary were all narrowly escaping the honour of having the first goal accredited to one or the other. Mason was for a minute or two disabled, in consequence of being winded. The home men were not by any means playing their usual fast combined game, and their eagerness to score, coupled with the sterling defence of their opponents rendered score out of question, although they were holding them very tight in their own half. Rose was giving a most brilliant exhibition of goal keeping, and cracks from Latta and Brady, although real clinkers, were splendidly kept away. The right wing worked manfully and at length, chiefly owing to its exertions, the ice was broken. Latta passed to Brady, the player relinquished his hold to Chadwick, and as both he and Baugh, who was on top of him, missed the ball, Milward was afforded a clear opening, which he without loss of time, availed himself of, to the immense delight of the spectators, who had all through been most enthusiastic. A couple of minutes later half-time was called. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Wanderers nil.

Rose on crossing over to the opposite end was loudly cheered. Now the homesters had to face the disadvantage, which the Wanderers had in the first half-to wit, the fierce sun. Notwithstanding this antagonistic element the homesters were not in the rear, and Chadwick and Milward sorely pressed Baugh, so much so, indeed, that at one moment he accidentally missed conceding a corner. A kick off from the goalmouth was, as it happened, as fruitful, as Brady and Geary pushed their course along, and the centre forward, with the left foot, placed the ball beautifully underneath the bar, Rose not having the least opportunity of seizing it. Just after the game was stopped for a couple of minutes on account of an injury to Wood, but he received in that time, and was able to take his place. The visiting forwards covered a fair amount of ground, and Thompson presented Angus with a handful. Latta was going strong, and from his run and, pass a hot conflict raged in the ‘'Wolves'' goalmouth, Baugh eventually gaining relief cleverly as he was surrounded. A couple of corners were obtained from the same source, but these were unfruitful. A flash across the half way line by the visitors, and then the Evertonians were at the same old point. Extremely pretty business between Chadwick, Milward and Brady was witnessed, and a goal could scarcely have been averted had not Geary been well watched and prevented from reaching the ball. The Wolves managed to again get within reasonable shooting distance, thought it was met by dint of any remarkable play. The leather was carried over the line, and on, it getting into play again it was at tremendous pace taken down towards the ‘'Wolves'' line where Rose had a near squeak as from a smart pass across by Chadwick, Brady rushed in to score, when the ball cannoned off the goalkeeper's knees. The Wanderers' right wing careered up the field, and Bowdler compelled Angus to concede a corner. This was futile, and again the home men were on the march. Rushing along, Brady presented Rose with a fistful, which he dropped at his feet, and Milward sprinting up, put the matter beyond doubt. Geary and Latta pattered along, and the latter being hampered gave to Holt, who afterwards transferred to Chadwick, this player scoring a somewhat soft point, as Rose only went for it in a half-hearted style. There was now a short spell of not over exciting plays, Wykes than had a spirited run, and beating Doyle, he forced a corner. This was of no use, but the visitors were not to be turned off, and Wood tried hard to pass Hannah, but without effect. He was not, however, discouraged and, returning to the attack, gave Angus a warm one to stop. Geaery and Latta were the actors in the next part, and the outside right kicked across the goalmouth. Milward should have scored, but as it resuled, it was not a great mistake, as Chadwick hoppen on the ball and cleverly notched the fifth. Final result Everton 5 goals, Wanderers nil.



September 15 1890. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Nantwich, each team distinguished itself in winning, the home-halfs doing good services.



September 16 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The first meeting of these teams after the memorable defeat of Everton in the English cup tie last season created a very large amount of interest, and there would be fully 4,000 spectators present last evening at the Anfield enclosure when the representatives of the clubs met in an ordinary fixture. The League team of course represented Everton, which however, was minus Doyle, and Geary, whereas the Midland club was strongly represented. Everton started the ball with the sun in front, and although the Stoke forwards were temporarily checked, they eventually broke away, and as the sequel of a good run by Edge shot outside the posts. The Everton van now dashed away, and displayed pretty passing until Clare rushed up and cleared the danger, Latta returned in a grand run along the right, and Chadwick shot past Rowley after the latter had saved a stringer from Holt, Stoke appealed for ‘'offside'' and the point was disallowed. The visitors now went away with a rush, and for a brief space of time the play centred in front of the Everton goal, the ball finally rolling harmlessly over the line. The home forwards now became prominent, and as Underwood missed his kick the Stoke goal was jeopardinished. A ‘'corner'' resulted, Latta sending wide of the post. Play was now mainly located at the visitors end, and Rowley rushed out to save a shot from Kirkwood. After a couple of futile corners to Everton, Latta gave the Stoke custodian a hot reception, while McGregor had also had luck in not scoring. Rowley saved finely on several occasions, and received capital assistance from the backs. The Stoke right were at this time energetic, and Balham sent in a grand centre, from which Phillips headed into goal, Angus clearing successfully. Everton again attacked strongly, but Clare was impassable and prevented any scoring. A free kick accured to Everton in the centre, but without result, Brady sent in a low shot, which Rowley coolly fisted out, and McGregor made a grand attempt to defeat the international, who was playing grandly. Stoke now raced away, and menaced the home goal, Baker making a further futile effort to score. Chadwick and Milward travelled rapidly down the home left, but as the latter kicked to far ahead the chance was lost, the whistle then sounded for half time no goal having been scored. On the visitors restarting Everton were the first to attack Holt shooting over the bar. Stoke retaliated, Parry checked the raid. Latta, Brady, and McGregor inaugurated a movement on the home right, the final shot of the former just dropping behind the posts. Stoke now got down by Angus was not troubled. Play now was rather slow and not over interesting, the game being principally in the centre of the field, Everton at length made a strong forward rush, and from Chadwick centre Brady shot a fine goal. This woke up the visitors, and the play became much faster, Edge and Dunn were prominent on behalf of the visitors, but failed to break through the home defences. Latta sent in a grand cross-shot at the other end, which Rowley got rid of, McGergor a moment later shooting wide of the uprights. Stoke got away on two or three occasions, but were never really dangerous, the Everton backs playing a good game. Kirkwood put in some tricky play, and passed to Brady, who took the ball in front of the Stoke posts. Underwood kicked clear, and Stoke had a short spell at the Everton end. Hannah, however, gave relief, and the home right pair went away in a speedy dribble. Latta centred in grand style, and McGregor shot in grandly. Rowley, however, was on the alert. and starved off the danger. Stoke at length looked like scoring after a determined run, but Baker's shooting was faulty. Latta scored at the other end, but Stoke again appealed successfully for off-side. Milward and Chadwick carried play to the Stoke quarters, Rowley throwing out of goal. The visitors then became threatening, and hot play ensued in front of the Everton ‘'sticks'' but no further points was scored, and Everton won a moderate game by one goal to nil. Teams Everton: - Angus, goal, Parry, and Hannah (captain), backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Campbell, half-backs, Latta, Brady, McGregor, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Stoke: - Rowley, goal, Clare, and Underwood backs, Christie, Phillips, and Brodie. Half-backs, Balham, Baker, Turner, Edge, and Dun, forwards.



September 16 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Sir- I quite agree with a writer when he says- ‘'The entrances and exits at Anfield are a disgrace.'' I had practical experience of this on Saturday last. I got to the ground at 3-30, and found a crowd of about 150 men swarming around the Anfield road entrance. I immediately worked myself into the crush, and was for twenty minutes struggling with all my strength to save my ribs from being crushed in. it was something cruel, and when at last I was carried through the narrow doors I was nearly fainting, and had to sit down to get my wind. Surley a club like Everton, with its £200 gates, can afford a proper entrance. Let them take the cue from North End's splendid entrance, and so enable their supporters to enjoy the manly game without being injured for life-yours etc, sept 15 1890. W.D.



September 20 th 1890. The Liverpool Daily Post

The meeting of Everton and Bolton Wanderers will form the situation today, and a tremendous “gate” is being anticipated at Pike-Lane ground, where the match is placed. As the usual cheap excursion will be run from Titthebarn-street Station to the scene of action, the Everton players will not fail a goodly number of their own supporters. Of last Saturday's matches, the one between Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers, from a scoring point of view, was the most one-sided, the Liverpool club winning by 5 goals to none, and as the Midlanders afterwards went on to Sunderland and on Monday supplemented the Burnley surprise by beating the crack club of the North (who had previously worsted Preston North End in a friendly encounter, by 4 goals to 3, this form stamps Everton as one of the principal combinations in the League this season. But how they will fare when in opposition to their Lancashire comrades'' (the first of whom they meet this afternoon) remains to be seen. Some persons fancy they are not quite up to last season, when the forwards showed more cohesiveness in their play. Be this as it may so far they have not met their equals, which is a primary test of quality. Partly owing to the extremely good defensive work put in by Hannah and Doyle, no great strain has been put on Augus yet, but there is no doubt that when the occasion arises he will be equal to it. Holt and Sam Thomson were the centre figures in Saturday's game, and it was an using to see how the little Evertonian generally got the better of his more stalwart opponent in all their contests. As a centre half back Holt is unique and he is pretty well sure to again get international patronage, Kirkwood and Campbell were also prominent in clever and useful work and continually kept breaking up the rushes made by the Wanderers forwards; and in this trio the Everton club have an excellent half-back division. The forwards did not show the clean, short passing manceurves they exhibited the week before at West Bromwich; but this perhaps may be accounted for by the rushing tactics adopted by their opponents. However, there was no doubt about which was the best side.



September 22 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Everton played their third League match at Bolton on Saturday with the Wanderers in fair weather. The match seemed to have roused a large amount of excitement in Bolton, and for more than an hour previous to the announced time for the kick off, people literally rushed to the enclosure in Pikes lane, and just before the kick off there could not have been less than 12,000 spectators on the ground. The Everton team was that which taken part in the previous League matches, and the home connection was as follows ; Bolton Wanderers: - Parkinson, goal, Somerville, and Jones backs, Patron, Barbour, and Roberts, half-backs, Davenport, Brogan, Cassidy, McNee, and Nunro, forwards. Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), Doyle backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Campbell half-backs, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Over 1,500 Liverpoolians travelled by excursion trains for the purpose of witnessing the encounter. Promptly at a quarter to four the start was made, the visitors having to face the brilliant sun. Geary took the kick and Roberts returned. MCnee and Munro moving off, but being held back by Hannah. The home left wing endeavoured to advance, Hannah again being the means of keeping than at bay, and then Chadwick and Milward kept very finely together, Somerville eventually relieving, Latta carried the ball over the line, and after this McNee and Munro made things rather livel. Doyle and Hannah at length in concert removing all danger. Geary and the left wing were away, and from a pass by Chadwick, Latta was given a beautiful chance, which the sun and Roberts combined robbed him of the ball. . The home right wing dashed along, and Davenport cracked in a hard one, which Angus got rid of with a fine vigorous fist. Kirkwood supported his wing with great ability, and Latta fastened on the ball, but after some exciting tussles, with Jones on the goal line. The Boltonians emerged with flying colours. The ball was quickly landed back, and the visiting forwards working in splendid style made matters hot for the home defence. Brady lost a good opening, but as it happened this did not result in an great loss, as Latta sent in a puzzling one, which Parkinson was unable to deal with, to the great delight of the Liverpoolians. The Evertonians would not accept any refusal, and again took up the quarters in the vicinity of the home defence, Latta forcing a corner. He took the kick and it was so beautifully placed that Jones had to head behind, and Roberts again had to pursue the same course. However, at the last time of asking, Latta and Kirkwood between them lost the opening. Sustaining the attack, Geary had a grand opening from Chadwick, but he did not shoot straight or otherwise he could scarcely have failed to score. The game at this juncture was brimful of incidents of an exciting nature, and it was only by gallant work by Somerville and Jones and the half-backs, particularly Roberts, that the ball was kept out. Geary had several shies, but he was a little out of geat, as far as accuracy was concerned, and though his efforts were fast they were unsuccessful. Ultamately Milward with an excellent shot, beat Parkinson, and a second goal thus accured to the visitors. From the kick off, the Boltonians broke clean away, quite in their old ugly dashing style and the Everton defence was sorely pressed, Angus having to grant a couple of corners in order to save himself. Scrambles in the goalmouth followed, but the pressure was at last relieved, the homesters seemed to waken up, and took up the attack in the more determined manner than previously. They found that Doyle and Hannah, warmly assisted by the half-backs, were somewhat more than they could cope with. After some play greatly to the advantage of the home men, the Everton left capated away, and Chadwick sent in a trazer, which Somerville, barley managed to knee away. Milward cantered up, and without more than a couple of seconds interval fairly took the wind out of Parkinson's sails, this third success of the visitors being greeted with wild cheering by their followers. The Wanderers, by the aid of Munro, McNee, and Cassidy secured a fair position, which the right winger helped to retain, and the whole of the front rank then menacing in no half-hearted style forced Doyle to give a corner. This was safely cleared, and the visitors again took up the running. Half-time result Bolton Wanderers nil; Everton 3 goals. From the restart the Evertonians were again on the aggressive ticket, and Parkinson in a minute had to repel from Chadwick a fugitive look in by the visitors. The left were down at the line, Chadwick transferred to Geary, and this player, after a little unaneorving, banged through the fourth goal. Davenport and Brogan made frantic efforts to break through and time after time they were repulsed by Doyle, while Holt was responsible for a great deal of checking. Milward and Chadwick received the leather from Doyle, and these slipping away, passed to Geary, who while in the goalmouth made a back heel kick, which surprised Parkinson. He however, succeeded in retaing possession, when Brady floored him, and while lying down he had the greatest difficulty in getting rid. But he did it with wonderful smartness. Doyle was cheered for robbing Davenport, and then the visiting backs were compelled to keep on the alert, the home forwards attacking with great persistency, until Davenport kicked behind the line. Paton after this propelled a nice low one from a short range, but Campbell dropped on it not a second too late. The home men were now in earnest, and the Everton defence was well taxed. Roberts sent in a grand long dropping shot, which Angus with the greatest coolness fisted away. Returning to business, Doyle put Brogan off the mark. Campbell, who was just alongside the upright, missed his kick, and Cassidy, who was on the spot, had a clear opening, but shot wild, and then retired, disgusted with himself. The play was becoming much more even, and each end was visited, but the shooting of the home men was characterized by rashness, or otherwise a score could hardly have failed to ensue. Campbell was hurt, and the game was delayed for a couple of minutes. Davenport and Brogan were doing all in their power to put through, but Doyle and Hannah would not yield, and their defending exhibition was a treat. Angus in kicking from the goalmouth slipped and the leather only went a few yards away, Cassidy at once returned, when Hannah jumped up and used his head with effect. Chadwick and Geary forced the pace, and the ball was well carried down when Milward received it and passed to Geary, who sent in. Parkinson merely returned a few yards. Final score Bolton Wanderers nil, Everton 5 goals.



September 22 1890. The Liverpool Courier

Bolton Wanderers Reserves met Everton at Anfield, in beautifully fine weather before a capital attendance. Everton loss the toss, and kicked off with the sun in their eyes, and were the first to show prominently, but were robbed by Clewes. Not to be denied, they returned to the attack, and Hammond tried a shot, which just went wide. For the third time they rushed up, and after one of the visiting backs had missed his kick, McGregor shot the leather out of the reach of Martindale at lighting speed. Hardly had the cheers died away, when Gordon after some good passing, repeated the performance, placing his side two in front. The Wanderers now made a good effort, and passed all the home backs, but their final shot was wide of the mark. Gordon again distinguished himself with a good dribble, and an exciting scrimmage took place in front of the visitors goal, and Martindale was cheered for several good saves. Murray also put in good work, his tricky play evidently suiting the spectators, who were generous with their applause. Wild shooting again proved a more formidable foe to the Wanderers than any of the home team, and spoiled them from scoring when they had the opportunity. Bullough put in a strong work and proved a thorn in the side of the left home wing, Godwin especially being sadly harassed by him. Smalley was next prominent, and showed that he was capable of dealing with difficult shots in a workable manner. Everton were again swarming in front of the Wanderers citadel, and McGregor had hard lines with a grand high shot. Turner from a throw in rushed the leather to the corner, and centred splendidly, and the leather and Smalley were rushed through together. Martindale was nearly being served the same trick, but got the leather away in a marvellous manner only to see it rushed up again and put through by Hammond. Everton again were to the fore, chiefly by the aid of Parry, who made the fourth goal as easy one for Hammond. Half-time result; Everton 4 goals Bolton Wanderers Reserves 1 goal. The second half opened in a sensational manner, to the evident surprise of the homesters. The Wanderers rushed the leather up and beat Smalley within one minute from the start. Both ends were visited in turn the players seemed rather excited, and nothing substantial was effected. Smalley had a very difficult shot to deal with from the foot of Turner but he cleared in a champion style. Everton began to press, and Hammond shot the fifth goal. It did not take the homesters very long before they scored the next, for the leather was no sooner kicked off, than it was rushed into the visitors territory, and McGregor put the final touch on. The game was very one sided, the visitors being evidently pumped out, and Gordon and McGregor were rushing the ball to their end every few minutes. From one of their dribbles Murray put on the seventh goal, beating the custodian with an oblique shot. Again McGregor was to the fore and passed to Murray, who passed back, and McGregor scored the eigth goal to the delight of the enthusiastic spectators. The game continued on these lines, and the visitors did not have a look in the game. Final result Everton reserves 8 goals, Bolton Wanderers 2 goal. Everton:- Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain), and Cresswell, backs, Martin, R. Jones, and Parry, half-backs, Gordon, Godwin, McGregor, Murray, and Hammond, forwards.



September 23 1890. The Sheffield Independent.

At Liverpool, last evening Sheffield kick-off, and play during the first half was grandly contested. Geary, McGregor and Chadwick scored for Everton, whilst Wednesday obtained one point, Everton leading at half-time by three goals to one. Upon resuming Everton played grandly, Campbell and McGregor adding to the score. The Everton backs kicked finely, and stopped the Wednesday rushes in splendid style. Result Everton 5 goals, Sheffield Wednesday 1.



September 23 1890. The Liverpool Courier

The runners up for the English Cup and champions of the Alliance (Division Two) paid their first visit to the Anfield enclosure last evening, where they were opposed by the Everton League team, which however, was minus Brady and Latta, whose places were taken by Gordon and McGregor of the reserves team. The weather was beautifully fine, and there would be about 4,000 persons present. The visitors kicked off, and Kirkwood at once stopped the rush, where upon Gordon sent one to Geary, who after a short run transferred to Chadwick, who shot over the bar, whilst a moment later, Geary shaved the post with a fast shot. Play was all in favour of the home team, and Smith has to knock out a shot from Kirkwood. The ball was hovering round the Wednesday posts in an ominous fashion, the backs with difficulty clearing the danger. Milward and Chadwick put in some grand play on the left, which, however, was spoiled by Geary shooting wide. The ‘'Blades'' then rushed to the centre, but Hannah interposed, and play again raged in front of the visitors goal, which was captured by McGregor amidst vociferous cheering. Following this reverse the ‘'Blades'' played up vigorously and made up vigorously, and made a couple of dangerous rushes on the home goal. Doyle gave a ‘'corner'' but as nothing came of it Everton went away from the goal kick and Chadwick scored with a tremendous shot from the left. The Wednesday forwards were now conspicuous by some good play, but the ball rolled over the line. A couple of corners kicks were conceded, Everton, Campbell steering the ball wide of the uprights. The ‘'Blades'' were hotly pressed, and Smith put in a fine shot from Chadwick over the bar. The ensuing corner kick was cleared, and the visiting forwards dashed away in grand combination, Hannah, however, cleared finely, and Geary took the ball up the centre. Betts stopped the rush, but the attack was renewed, Gordon shooting high over the bar. The visitors now made as most determined attack on the Everton stronghold, and Campbell running up, unfortunately put the ball through his own goal. Everton again attacked from the centre kick, and the Wednesday defence was again taxed to the utmost. Brayshaw kicked away, and the Everton goal had a narrow escape of being recaptured, Geary scored a third for Everton with a grand shot and half-time was called shortly afterwards with Everton leading by three goals to one. The home team restarted, and at once took up the attack, Gordon spoiling a good chance by shooting high over the bar. A free kick to Everton in the Wednesday half placed the visitors citadel in jeopardy, but the danger was removed, and the Sheffielders raced to the other end, the ball being played over the line. Woodhouse and Milward were playing a good game on the visitors left, were met by a sturdy defence. A hot attackwas now made on the Sheffield goal, which almost succumbed to McGregor, who shot straight into the custodian's hands. The latter cleared, and the visitors centre rushed away, only to be stopped by Doyle. The Everton left now took up the attack, the game being hotly contested. Dungworth cleared, and a long kick by Betts took play to the Everton lines. a corner kick accured to the visitors, who made a capital attempt to increase their score. Kirkwood interposed in time, and on play being taken to the other end, Campbell scored the fourth goal with a magnificent shot. The centre kick brought no relief to the visitors, and Geary receiving the ball in his own half, made a beautiful run to the oppose end of the field, where he centred grandly, with the result that McGregor again put the ball past Smith this additional point being hailed with a loud outburst of cheering. The ‘'Blades'' nothing daunted, made a spirited attack on the Everton goal. Hannah and Doyle, however, were impassable, and as the home forwards were playing a grand combined game, the Shefiield men had all their work cut out to prevent the ‘'Leaguers'' from scoring again. From a pass by Geary, Milward and Chadwick sped rapidly away, the former's shot only passing the visitors uprights by the merest shade. Despite several well-meant efforts, the visitors forwards were unable to reach the home goal, the defence being superb. Later on Sheffield had a good chance of scoring, but failed to take advantage of it. No further points were scored, although Everton pressed to the end, and the result was- Everton 5 goals, Sheffield Wednesday 1 goal. Teams; Everton: - Angus, goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle, backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Kirkwood, half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Smith, goal, Brayshaw, and Hard backs, Dugworth, Cawley, and Betts, half-backs, Mumford, Woodhouse, Dungworth, Bennett, and Johnston, forwards.



September 27 th 1890. The Liverpool Daily Post.

The League competition progressed another stage last Saturday, and the Everton club still keep the lead; and what is more if present form can only be maintained, they will do so to the end. Everton had previously defeated West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers in League engagement in a rather one-sided fashion, but as the Midland organisations this season are reckoned not to be up to old form, we were advised to wait, as there were one or two hot irons in Lancashire in coming in contact with which Everton was sure to get singed. The Bolton Wanderers were anticipate to do the first scorching; but the result of last Saturday's match at the “trotter town,” showed the Wanderers to be no better in the matter of skill than their Midland brethren of the League had been when opposed to Everton, and the latter won by 5 goals, a result that even the most sanguine supporters of the club would never have predicated. This leaves Everton with the splendid goal average of 14 against 1 for the three matches played the nearest approach to which is the fixtures of last year's champion, Preston North End having scored 6 goals for 1 against. In matter of points, however, Burnley and Wolverhampon Wanderers run Everton very close, each of the former having scored 5, but the “Wolves” have played a game more than the others. The visit paid by Everton to Bolton was brimful of excitement and had been anticipated with a keen relish by the thousands who flocked to the ground, fully 12,000 persons having parted with the “nimble sixpence” and upwards at the paygates' so that the home club would have some good healing salve for the wound inflicted by their visitors. Of the game it had barely been five minutes in progress before Everton showed their vast superiority. The one set of forwards were literally left standing still while the others were working, and this to a capital purpose, as the Wanderers defence was continually being harassed. The Everton players, however, should not forget as they occurinally do, that better results are obtained by good combination than by selfishly dallying with the ball; and it is to be hoped their well remember this, otherwise there will be a shock given some Saturday afternoon to the “nervous system” of Liverpool, which it will take some time to get the better of. The greater speed of the Everton forwards, the superior tricky and robbing tactics of the halves, and the sterling back play of Hannah and Doyle, soon told its tale, and only for the good defence of Jones and Somerville, and the at times smart saves by Parkinson, the score must have been doubled, especially in the first half. Individually the visiting players were about equal in point of merit, but more short passing by the forwards and less dribbling by Doyle would have been more serviceable. With the exception of the backs, the Wanderers were nowhere generally speaking against the Everton attack, although now and again Davenport and Munre got close in, but without any success. If Accrington intend making good the boast they are said to have made re Everton to-day they will have in shape better than they did last Saturday at Nottingham where the County, who are not credited with having played a particularly brilliant game, defeated them by 5 goals to none. The Reds, however, had the misfortune to be handicapped by several of their best men being absent, which their principal forward, Kirkham, met with a mishap which made him of little service for the rest of ther game. It is to be hoped Accrington will have better luck than this today, as Everton like to get all the credit they can for their victories.



September 29 1890. The Liverpool Courier.

The Liverpool club played its fourth league fixture on Saturday at Accrington in good weather. The ground, which was surrounded by 5,000 people, was somewhat soft owing to the rain. The home team was weakened by the absence of Stevenson Mclennan, Kirkham, and Wilkinson. Everton played the usual combination, and the teams were presented by the following; - Accrington: - Hay, goal Mc Dermid, and Nesbitt, backs, Saunders, Howarth, and Tattersall half-backs Gallacher, Whitehead, Barbour, Thompson and Barlow forwards. Everton: - Angus goal, Hannah (captain), and Doyle backs, Kirkwood, Holt, and Campbell, half-backs, Latta, Brady Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. About 1,500 persons travelled by excursion trains from Liverpool for the purpose of seeing the match. Promptly to time Geary kicked off, and Chadwick and Milward, lost no time in making way forwards the Accrington goal. Milward centred, and Geary dropped on the leather right in front, but Hay was too smart for him, and after his fist out, Brady sent over the line, Thompson was off, and getting well down, he passed to Barbour, who gave Angus a very difficult one to stop. Gallacher played very trickily, and the whole of the forwards continuing nicely, made Doyle and Hannah skip about, and make some effective saves. Geary was on the wing, but Howarth unceremoniously brought him to earth, when he had made fine progess. Tattersall smartly arrested an advance by Chadwick and Geary and giving the ball to the front rank a good position was obtained. Thompson and Tattersall, from good points, putting the globe on the wrong side of the posts. Similar tactics followed at the other end, the shooting however, being better, Latta gave a beauty Hay, and this being got rid of, Milward quietly kicked through, only to find that he was considered offside. The visitors had seemingly found their measure and the operations were for some time continued to the Accrington end. Just one dash away, and Everton retaliated, Brady missing a fairly easy thing. Barbour, and Thompson slipped away, and the latter sent in, Angus running out and saving his charge neatly. Ensuing upon this, Gallacher was responsible for a very wild attempt, when score seemed a certainly, Hannah tendered a corner, which passed off without event. The homesters were working more strongly and Everton could not force a passage. Barlow was afforded one or two fair chances, which he would not accept, but the threatened breaking of the ice at last occurred. When Whitehead propelled a high one, which Angus made a smack at his fist, and knocked it through his own goal. Weather it was the treacherous state of the ball or ground was not quite apparent, but it was certain that Everton were not showing any brilliancy in their movements. The home right wing fitted down, and Gallacher from off the goalline, sent in a grand one, which grazed the post. The Everton boys could not keep their feet, and were fairly non-plussed, as there was a vast improvement in the movements of the ‘'Reds'' so much so that Doyle and Hannah had to knuckle down to work with a vengeance. All the play was in favour of the home team until Geary hopped on to the ball, and then dashed along in one of those rare and exciting flashes which have procured him his fame. Passing to the left wing a kick was made by Milward, Hay just sustaining his charge intact for a moment, as Geary immediately after although pounced upon by the backs, got his shot in, and put matters on an equal basic. There was a pleasing advance in Everton's form, and their first taste of success infused them with new strength. Geary had a try, Hay having to fist away, and upon this Chadwick kicked a few inches over the bar. Half-time result Accrington 1 goal; Everton 1 goal. On the restart the home boys made a transient visit to the Everton end, but were repulsed in quick time. Geary dribbled finely right down to the line, and shot to the post, where Latta was standing. The outside right put it passes the goalkeeper, and was of course ruled offside. There was a complete transformation in the style of play, and the ‘'Reds'' back couldn't cope with the tricky movements of the forwards in front of goal. After the ball had been located for a length of time, more than a dozen yards from the goalmouth, Milward with a fine twist defeated Hay, and the visitors consequently took the lead. Better acquaintance with the heavy ground seemed to account for the advanced form of the visiting attack. Pretty play was seen on the right wing, but just when the score was several times imminent, either Hay or Nesbitt stepped in and averted disaster. A couple of fouls on hands assisted Accrington, and the ball was removed to the visitors quarters, where Doyle headed out two hard attempts. Geary went off again but after traveling half the length of the field, he was cleverly robbed by Saunders. For some minutes the homeboys held the upper hand and a momentous period was spent. Angus holding out a grease effort from Barlow. The visitors took up the running, several fairly easy chances were missed, and Hays gave a corner, but the defence could not be broke down. The game now was not particularly brilliant in passing, and it had degenerated into a kind of rough and tumber affair. Final result, Accrington 1 goal, Everton 2 goals.



September 29 1890. The Liverpool Courier

A highly satisfactory number of spectators assembled at the Everton ground to witness this match. Farmer appeared in the home team. During the first half, each side scored a goal each. Afterwards Murray for Everton scored twice, and Forester for Hanley once, and the Reserves winning 3-2.

Everton team:- Smalley, goal, Dobson (captain) and Cresswell, backs, Martin, Jones (r), and Parry half-backs, Gordon, McGregor, Hammond, Murray, and Farmer