December 1891


December 2 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Everton league v. southport central. A match between these teams was played at Anfield road yesterday. The weather being dull and threatening the attendance was not great, numbering about 2,000. The teams were Southport Gee (J) goal, Sugg and Fairhurst, backs, Gee (C), McLean, and Dodd, half-backs, McPherson Platt, Lee (T), Lee (H), and Halsall, forwards. Everton; Williams (R), McLean (D), andHowarth (R), backs, Kirkwood (D), Holt (J), (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs, Gordon (P), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A) C hadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards.

Howarth, had a welcoming cheer on making his acout in the Everton jersey. The home team got well down from the kick-off, but the visitors removed operations smartly on the right. Howarth administered a check still Southport showed much activity, and attacked strongly when McLean cleared with a well judged kick to Maxwell who headed a raid Chadwick and Milward worked nicely but Sugg got his head in the way of a shot, and delayed disaster. The pressure contined. However and Milward scored whilst Maxwell paid attention to the goalkeeper. McPherson and Platt contributed another good movement on the right in arresting which Howarth slipped down but no danger arose. Everton then settled down to a persistent assault and were near scoring several times but the muddt state of the ground in front of goal detracted from accurate shooting. The central made play more even for a time, and were enabled to locate operations in the Everton quarters. They were not able to get in a shot though and Howarth passing up undiciously a very neat bit of passing between Milward, Chadwick, Maxwell, and Wyllie was finished off by the last named shooting, with a low shot, just wide of the post. Everton continued to have the best of it, but the visitors showed much vitality and good defensive tactics and shielded J Gee from being often called upon. McPherson and Platt again made a strong effort to get down, but though Howarth once more fell Platt could not get far, McLean coming to the rescue. More close shots followed from the Everton forwards interspersed with bad ones, but the ball fairly refused to travel though the mire. Howarth on the Central getting down on the left and centreing cleared grandly, and play resumed its familiar aspect of Everton attacking solidy and shooting gamely, always to find the visitors adepts in defence, and so the game contined until the interval. Everton leading by a goal to nil. Immediately on resuming, Chadwick shot in, and Gee though seeming to have stepped under the bar stopped the ball. Another fine shot went from the left, but the effective effort came from Gordon,, who centred truly, and Maxwell easily popped a goal. A fast spurt down the field by Platt gave T Lee an opportunity of shooting hard and straight to Williams, who saved finely. Another burst was of no avail to Southport, and Everton took up the attack, also to no purpose. The visitors now showed to more advantage than they had hitherto done and returned to goal in one of two clever movements, McPherson from a good pass by H Lee, essaying a splendid shot which was very neat penetrating goal. Howarth next cleared from a tussle in front, and soon Maxwell sent against the post. Fairhurst put the ballsmartly uo on robbing. Everton's right wing, and Platt made a running shot at goal at long range, which scored the ball passing through near the bar post, low down. H Lee and Halsall broke away a few minutes later from near their own goal, and, running strongly, grew really dangerous. Their progess was arrested in front of goal, where, amidst considerable excitement, Howarth extricated the ball. Everton helped materially by the good wotk pf Holt, clustered round goal, but could not find an opening whilst from a free kick in front the ball was placed over the bar. The Central improved as the game advanced. They ran and shot quickly and from a corner taking by Halsall on the left McPerson equalised with a keen low shot. They were once again threatening, but Everton managed to clear this time and tried hard to forge ahead. This they were very near doing on various occasion, but the Southport backs were clever enough to parry all the accurate thrusts until Gordonput a cross, and Milward shot in obliquely in a matter which gave Gee no chance. A futile corner followed to the visitors just before the finish, who were beaten after a fairly interting game by 3 goals to 2.


December 4, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

R.H. Howarth was transferred from Preston North End to Everton and S. Thomson from Everton to Accrington



December 5, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

The League will be in full cry this afternoon, and perhaps no match will arouse so much interest as that between Everton and Blackburn Rovers, at Ewood-Park. As will be seen from the name given below, Everton have selected a very powerful team, one which ought to about secure victory eve away from home. Howarth, who played for Everton against Scotland last year, is familiar with the Blackburn ground and players, and this fact should help to make the Everton defence stronger than it has been since last season. If Kelso, too, is fit and well, and the forwards up to last Saturday's standard, an exposition worthy of the journey to Blackburn should ensure. The Rovers apparently will be without McKeown, who has met with a rather serious accident. Everton have no combination match, but play at Anfield the Barrow Club.

Everton v. Blackburn Rovers, Blackburn, Kick-off at 2.30 p.m.. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Earp and Howarth, backs; Kelso, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Wyllie, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Barrow, Anfield, Kick-off at 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Fairbrother and Kent, backs; Kirkwood, Jones, and A. Chadwick, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillian and Elliott, forwards.



December 7, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton did not maintain at Ewood Park on Saturday the strong line assumed at Everton when opposed to Aston Villa; but they did fairly will to make a draw with Blackburn Rovers, who, like all other clubs, are seen at their best when at home. Indeed, they have only been beaten once at Ewood this season, and that was on the occasion of the visit of Preston North End, whilst those who have fallen at Blackburn are Sunderland, Notts County, Bolton Wanderers and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Everton have only once enjoyed the distinction of defeating the Rovers on the latter's own ground, which happened two season's ago, whilst last year, though then obtaining the championship, they were defeated by 2 goals to 1. The Rovers on Saturday undoubtedly missed McKeown , as Douglas was only of moderate assistance; but Everton were without Kelso, and he would not doubt, as he did on September 19, at Anfield, have despoiled Townley's dashing running propensity. The conditions under which the sides took the field were thus about even, and the result was, despite a high wind which blew from goal to goal, that the spectators had the pleasure of witnessing a carefully fought game, brimful of good points. Everton had the wind at the commencement, and went away in such well-knit combination that the two goals early scored were quite merited, for, allowing that Douglas made Everton a present of the point, it should be remembered that Milward, direct from the kick-off, scored with a fine shot, but was adjudged by the referee to be off-side though many thought otherwise. The Rovers improved after threw two goals had been scored against them, and had the best of the later play, whilst the Everton forwards became more ragged in their tactics. The second half was marked by the best periods of the game, but visitors seeming to control the ball better against the breeze than with it. Still the Rovers' forwards, especially the wings, were the more dangerous, and but for the splendid defensive tactics of Everton must have scored. Williams kept goal marvellously, and at one time knocked out five hard shots within the space of about a minute. Howarth was a bit faulty in his kicking at times, but was safe at close quarters, and Earp had plenty to do, and did his work fearlessly and effectively. Holt was at his best and never allowed Southworth to shine, and the forwards worked hard and evenly. Forbes, was too wily for Latta and Wyllie, and the Rovers halves were always smart.


December 7 1981

The Liverpool mercury

The return League match between these teams was played on Saturday at Blackburn before about 6,000 spectators, almost whom were several hundred execurtions from Liverpool. The waether was fine, but the players were bothered with a strong wind. Which sweph from goal to goal. The teams were Blackburn Rovers: Arthur, goal, Bougas and Forbes, backs, Smith, Almond, and Forest half-backs; Hall, Campbell, Southworth, Watson, and Townley, forwards. Everton; Williams (R), goal, Earp (E), and Howarth (R), backs, McLean (D), Holt (J), (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs; Latta (A), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E) and Milward (A) forwards . The rovers kicked off against the wind but Chadwick sent to Milward whot shot the ball through, Douglas vainly edeavouring to stop it. But the point was promptly vetoed on a claim of off-side. The home left wing passed up beautifully though unable to beat Earp, and Robertson returning the ball shortly following to Milward, it was sent across to Latta, but he failed to reach it and a fine movement passed without effect. Everton were determined at this period and closed in soldily, but Forbes cleared in his masterly style, and enabled his left wing to bring on some pressure. They never beame dangerous, however, and the Everton left wing shifted the scene of interst. Maxwell took up the play, and Douglas, when hard pressed, was chagrined to see the ball shoot off the foot and penetrate his own goal, Everton thus assuming the lead luckily after ten minutes' play. Howarth was sson called upon to pay attention to Hall and Campbell and came out well, enabling Maxwell to shoot into Arthur's hands. Earp cleverly dispossessed Walton and Townley, and Maxwell again went away with a good turn of speed and shot. Arthur played the ball, but did not clear and so Latta stepped in and scored with a return. Amidst much enthusiasm from the Evertonians, Maxwell next hit the bar, and Milward nearly beat Arthur from Latta's pass. Everton continued to harras the Rovers defence, and seemed likely to assume a much stronger lead, but they failed to find a loophole, and play took a more open turn, as the home team at length got into speedy action, and made spendid progess, even against the wind. Townley and Walton were the most aggreasive and from a cross-pass Howarth gave a corner which proved fatal as from Smith's place kick Campbell headed under the bar. This gave the Rovers encouragement to renewed efforts, and the visitors' defence were well tried and found sound. Earp especially checking effectivaly. Howarth also robbed the right wing grandly, and Holt was always conspicuous at midfield. The play was spirited and pretty even between now and the interval which arrived with Everton leading by 2 goals to 1.on resuming, Robinson and McLean each beaten by the wings but Earp came to the rescue, and made a couple of clearances. The attack continued on the left, and Townley after one or two attempts, got round Earp, and shot hard and well, but Howarth rushed in and diverted the course of the shot. Back came the Rovers and again Howarth returned the ball to open ground. Forrest had a good chance a few minutes later, but shot too high, and Everton at length reached shooting distance without calling out Arthur. After withstanding a hot siege, Everton contributed a breakaway on the right, where Forbes robbed splendidly, and placed his men on the attack. Smith lifted over, and Williams saved twice, but Latta was penalised with disastrous results, as from the free kick the Rovers scrimmaged a goal. Walton putting on the final touch. The score was now even, and Everton pressed more hotly then they had done since changing ends, Chadwick testing Arthur, and Latta just missing from Maxwell. Everton were busy on the right shortly following but they could not beat Forbes, and the Rovers stormed goal fiercely,, Williams saving from Walton with his shins. Everton rallied once more, without threatening much, and then came a brilliant performance by Williams, he knocking out the ball five times in almost as many seconds. The Rovers continued to have the best of play, during which Townley screwed through magnificently, but Wiloliams had beem obstructe and the point was accordingly disallowed. A high-class game shortly afterwards terminated in a draw of 2 goals each.



December 7 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Having no combination fixture to fulfil on Saturday, Everton introduced the Barrow team to Liverpool public, this being their first engagement in this district. Thought beaten by 4 goals to nil they made a very crediable appearance their play at times being heartly applauded by over 2,000 spectators assembled. In the first half Gordon opened the scoring for the homesters and after Jardine was called upon to clear shots by Tadlington and Poole. Pinnell very trickily got though the opposing defence and scored the second point. Before the interval elliott was able to add a third goal, the teams crossing over with the score:- Everton 3 go9als; Barrow nil. In the second hlaf the visitors held their own and put in some clever play. Everton defenders however proved a great stumbling block, to their attack. Nearing the finish Kirkwood further added. The game throughout was pleasing and intersting Pinnell being most conspicous by the clever centre play. Result Everton 4 Barrow nil.

December 12, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton at home is the attraction for local associationists this afternoon, when they will fight out the return battle with the Wolverhampton Wanderers. Three weeks ago Everton found themselves face to face with the cleverer set of opponents at Wolverhampton, and were beaten soundly by 5 goals to 1. This was at Molyneux ground. What will happen at Anfield-road today? Everton if the players whose names are given below turn out fit and well, should certainty give the proverbial “Roland for the Oliver,” and even emerge with a better goal return out of their two engagements with the “Wolves.” Later events have presented Everton in stronger colouring than hitherto, their defeat of Aston Villa and draw with Blackburn Rovers being two of their smartest achievements this season. On the other hand, Wolverhampton Wanderers were beaten pointless at Bolton a week ago; and as Topham will doubtless be again an absentee, patrons to the Everton ground will not feel anxious about the issue, though, should the Wanderers play the same brilliant game they did three weeks back, Everton’s resources will be tested to the last move.
Everton v. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Anfield, Kick-off at 2,30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Harp and Howarth, backs; Kelso, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Lattas, Wyllie, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward, forwards.
Everton v. Northwich Victoria, Northwich Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; A. Chadwick and Collins, backs; Kirkwood, Jones and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMilliam, and Elliott, forwards.

December 14, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The well-wishers of E. Chadwick and J. Holt are reminded that the next Saturday’s match at Anfield, which is between Everton League and Notts Forest, is set apart for the benefit of these two familiar, popular, and clever members of the Everton team. It is not easy to say how far the prestige of the Everton Club is due to their pluck and skill, but certain it is that Holt’s consummate resources at centre half-back and Chadwick’s equally effective tactics as inside left wing forward have always been a main factor in its attainment. They have been the most regular members of the team, and have enjoyed singular immunity to their excellent tact. They deserve, and will receive, practical and very substantial recognition of the value of their services by Evertonians and others.
Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers, though the weather conditions were no more favourable at Anfield than elsewhere, played off their return League match without besmearing the character of either team. Indeed, each side has rather gained prestige than otherwise from their displays on Saturday, for the game was an admirable demonstration of good football on a very slippery ground. It was an even contest, fast and interesting all through, and that Everton won by 2 goals to 1 was about a true reflex of the tendency of play. The rout of three weeks back at Wolverhampton has thus been avenged, if not thoroughly atoned, for a win in which the balance is only one of a single goal is not a fair set off of a defeat of 5 goals to 1. But it is something meritorious to be capable of turning a reverse into a win, and by their success Everton step up to fifth position in the League. The visitors had not the same representation as met Everton before, but Mapas, at centre half-back and Wood, centre forward, were quite as good men as Allen and Topham, and altogether the Wolves represented a very evenly balanced team, which was strong at all points in well-judged, long kicking, and stern without undue roughness in their tackling –Mason, Rose, and Kinsey especially defending well. The forwards were speedy and fearless, and the right wing the more difficult to cope with. Everton were ever demonstrating a feeling of confidence. They never flagged, however, and it was not for want of trying that the measure of their success was not greater. Maxwell had difficulty in keeping well up to the wings. Chadwick and Milward have got back to their old state of efficiency, and were stronger if anything than the right wing. Latta played with his customary dash, but did not get quite so much assistance as he should have done from Wyllie. Kelso returned, and though rarely at fault, seemed tame beside Holt and Robertson, both of whom were seen at their best. Earp increased his popularity by his brilliant play, his kicking being a treat to witness, and though accidently kicked just before the interval, causing him to limp, he played out to the finish with rare pluck. Howarth was safe, without being flashy, and Williams sustained his high character. Everton are visited by Witton tomorrow.


December 14 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Played at Anfield on Saturday in presence of 3,000 enthusiasts who braved the elements. The ground was in wrected condition and accurate play was rendered anything but an easy task. The teams were as follow:- Everton; Williams (R), goal; Earp (E) and Howarth (R) backs; Kelso (R) Holt (J) (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs, Latta (A), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rose, goal; Baugh, and Mason, backs, Davis, Maspas, and Kinsley, half-backs, Wykes, Baker, Wood, Decey, and Booth, forwards . Everton soon got into their stride, and straightway set about finding some work for Rose. The forwards put plenty of dash into their work and after Wyllie lost a good chance by failing in the mud, Chadwick took a smart pass from the right, and drew first bllod. Almost directly thet were back again, but Latta shot pas. This served to waken up the Wanderers, and adopting clever long passing tactics, which admirably suited the ground, Woods and Devey took a prominent part in some eciting work in the vicinity of Willaims. A foul drove them back but they came again, and this time made no mistake, Devey doing the trick. Both teams now went at it hammer-and-tongs fashion. Maxwell narrowly missed scoring from a short return by Rose. Earp stopped a good attempt of the ‘'Wolves'' to get away, and after Robertson had put in some clever tackling. Rose was agin called upon, and ultimately Latta caught up a pretty centre from Milward, and put Everon ahead with a shot which gave the ‘'wolves'' custodian no chance. The play was give-and-take up till half-time, and no more scoring was done. Everton resumed with ten men, Earp having been injured, but he speedily returned, and then Everton began to pepper Rose in lively style. This custodian however, proved equal to all contingencies through badly injured on one occasion. Hostilities were soon resumed, and then Mason helped his forwards to raise thesiege at the other end. Here Wykes and Wood got down in front of williams, and it seemed all over with Everton until their custodian pulled off a magnificent save at the cost of a corner. Nothing resulted, and Latta raced away to other end, where Maxwell and Wyllie were too slow to take advantage of excellent openings. They still kept up the pressure, and hard lines were expected. After Rose had clearned a shot which beat both the backs the ‘'wolves'' were agaon dangerously near Williams. Howarth and Earp soon drove them back, and Milward all but got through. The last few minutes proved very exciting but nothing more was scored and Everton ran out winners by 2 goals to 1.



December 16 1891

The Liverpool mercury

A match between Everton and Witton was played at Anfield-road yesterday. The weather being very dull, foggy and wet, the attentance was only small. Whilst the ground of course, was in a most rendly condition. Everton had a mixed represntation the names being as follow:- Williams (R), goal, Kent (J), and Fairbrother; backs, Kelso (R), Robertson (H), and Collins (J), half-backs, Gordon (P), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), McMillan (J), and Milward (A), forwards. The home team at once pitched play in front of the Witton goal and got in one or two shots. The ball bung in the mud a good deal, and this fact, together with good smart defence work, served the visitors in good stead until they could not at length get the ball over the half line. Here Kent intercene and the Witton men were immediately hard pressed. The custodian parrving a fine shot from the right. Other narrow escape were survived. And than the Witton forwards varied the monotony by a couple of quick but ineffectual movements to the home goal. Everton were certainly trying for goals but, though they passed and shot satisfactory they could not beat the defence. Witton next got far enough down to shoot near the post on the left, and to this Wyllie repied by shooting grandly. The custodian however, made good use of the fist. Everton continued tolay siege, and at last met with success. Maxwell scored. The ball glacing of the goalkeeper's foot. Striking the post and then bouncing through. McMilan, quiclely following sent in from the left and made the record to goals. In favour of Everton which was the score at the interval. Goingaway from the restart the Witton centre-forward wound up a fine run by shooting near the post with a low aim, which rather severely tested Williams in clearing with his foot. Everton took up the attack repeatedly,, but were a long time before a piercing goal and even then it was done in an irregular manner, as McMillan finished off clever, passing between Wylli, Maxwell and himself by shooting through, when off-side. The Witton left wing and centre joined in a pretty piece of forward play and were getting dangerous but Kent checked them. A few minutes later, however Witton came out again in the left and sharpies screwed in and though the ball sticking in the mud hjust under the bar. The home team brighted up their shooting in response to this Witton success. And out of several shots got a couple home Wyllie and Milward each scoring a capiatl goal. Keeping up the pressure Everton forged further ahead as Kelso shot from a long range with such force that the custodian was compelled to allow the ball to pass between his hands and legs. Towards the finish from a throw in by Kelso, McMillan added another goal, and Everton won by 6 goals to 1.



December 16 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Meanwhile we are informed that at a meeting on Monday evening the Everton committee had under consideration suggestions that had been made to fix the kick-off in the great League match on Christmas Day between Everton and Sunderland at an earlier hour than usual. In deference to the wishes of many mebers who considered it undersirable that football should clash with religious observances, and from other well considered reasons the committee decided that half-past two was the most appropriate time for kick off.




December 17 1891

The Liverpool mercury

These teams met for the first time in a combination match at northwich. Though the weather was wet and gusty there was a capital attendance. During the first half the home team had the help of the wind, and did most of the pressing but no goals were scored. Everton were soon to better adavntage at the second stage and scoring three goals (all from pinnell's shots). To nil, added another subtantial win to the unbeaten record. Everton team: Jardine (J) goal, Chadwick (a), and Collins (J), backs, Kirkwood (D), Jones (R), and Lochhead (A), half-backs, Gordon (P), Murray (P), Pinnell (A), McMillan (J), and Elliott (J), forwards

Played 12, won 11, lost 0, draw 1, for 57, against 6 points 23



December 19, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

The followers of the Association game in Liverpool have a high function to engage their attention this afternoon, as last season's League and Alliance champions –Everton and Notts Forest –meet at Anfield for the purpose of playing a match for the benefit of J. Holt and E. Chadwick. The Foresters have been to the Everton ground once before this season, and were then beaten by 2 goals to nil –a reverse only once repeated we believe, by any other club –and they will naturally try hard to place themselves on an equality with Everton at this renewed opportunity. This ambitious design will, of course, be sternly combated by Everton and the game, if the weather conditions are suitable, should rank as one of the best of the series at the Anfield enclosure. But apart from the equality of the play that may be in store, the object of the entertainment should prove a sufficiently powerful magnet to secure a full assembly, for Holt and Chadwick have done their duty well, for Holt and Chadwick have done their duty well, and played an incalculably important part in popularising the Association code in Liverpool thus helping thee advance the status of the Everton Club to that high pitch which has commanded a succession of fixtures with the strongest teams in the kingdom.

Everton League v. Notts Forest, at Anfield (Holt and Chadwick's Benefit), Kick-off at 2.30 p.m.. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Mclean and Howarth, backs; Kelso, Holt and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Wyllie, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Chirk, Chirk. Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; A. Chadwick and Collins, backs; Kirkwood, Jones, and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards. Reserves Kent and Fairbrother.

Friday (Christmas Day)

League; Everton v. Sunderland, Anfield.



December 21, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton were occupied in giving a benefit to Holt and Chadwick, who certainly have dore their share, and more in building up the prestige of the Everton Club. Notts Forest were their opponents, and the principals were thus the champions of last year's League and Alliance. Notts Forest have, moreover, played very strongly this season, and are equal to an average League team. The weather, too, was fine, and with all the promise of a clever and pleasant game the attendance of about 8000 was not so great as it should have been. The covered reserved stand was thinly occupied, and it was evident that the high charge had proved prohibitive. However, the event was far removed from failure, and both Holt and Chadwick will be recipients of a substantial sum. The game was a capital one, the feature of which was the sterling defence on either side, especially that of the Forest, who had a hard time of it in the second half. Everton did most pressing, but shot none too well, latta and Maxwell being the cleverest of the home forwards.

The programme for the Christmas season is of a more momentous character than usual, especially Christmas Day, when Everton at Anfield play off their return with Sunderland. In playing Sunderland, Everton encounter, perhaps, the most powerful team in the county, and many have doubted the wisdom of having arranged such a serious piece of business on a festive occasion; but however exacting the contest may prove to the players, the public will be well satisfied with the privilege of spending the afternoon in witnessing a game that may have the effect of deciding whether or not Sunderland will be eventually hailed this season's champions. On Boxing Day the Anfield enclosure will be occupied in the afternoon by Everton league and Glasgow Rangers, who will decide a return match. Everton having won when in Glasgow on October 1 by 4 goals to 1.


December 21 1894

The Liverpool mercury

These teams played for the benefit of Holt and Chadwick on Saturday at Anfield. The weather was all that could be dirsed, but the attendance scarely came up to expectally considering the prestige of the visitors. The teams follow; Everton; Williams (R), goal, McLean (D), and Howarth (R), backs, Kelso (R), Holt (J) (capatin), and Robertson (H),half-backs Latta (A), Wyllies (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards. Nottingham Forest; Brown, goal; ritchie, and scott, backs, Hamilton, Macpherson and Walters half-backs, Mason , Mills, Lingley, Pike, and Shaw, forwards. Immediately following Everton kick-off, Robertson, Chadwick, and Milward joined in telling play on the left cuiminiting in Chadwick shooting narrowly over. Robinson again dispossessed Mason and Mills and enabled Milward to go ahead, but his shot struck the outside of the net. Everton kept well up, however, and Maxwell scooped the ball just a little wide. The Forest now got tairly under weight, the left wing passing McLean but he overtook Pike and Shaw, and drove clear. Again the visitors took up the attack but were still prevented from becoming dangerous. A third time they broke away and now got in a shot, what Williams properly attended to. Chadwick made himself prominent in tricky play, but it was of no avail, and better efforts weremade by Pike and Lindley each of whom shot well. Williams having some difficulty in stopping the straight one of the latter. Howarth finally rushed in front of goal, and cleared. Latta caught on and made a strong running shot, but was a little wide in his aim. Some smart play on the home left supplemented Latta's fine contribution. Milward had a fair shot at goal, and a moment later sent across to Latta nicely but the latter could not quite get up to drive the ball goalwards. A hot attack was indulged in by Everton, who were conceded a couple of corners, while Brown saved cleverly from a spanking shot by Maxwell. Latta returned and kicked hard but scott got his foot against the ball in its fight,, and so stemmed what looked loke being na fatal shie. It now became Notts turn to try their skill at close quarters, when Lindley at an opportune moment went off-side. The visitors maintained some pressure, during which Kelso was penalised for hands. But the free kick was easily rendered abortive, and Latta who appeared to be in a most spirited mood scampered off again, and shot brilliantly. Brown made only a partial clearance but no one fortunately for him, was hardy to send in a quick return. Ritchie robbed the Everton left, but McLean headed back to Latta who went off in a dashing dodging run, to be baulked near the goal-line. Everton fairly stormed goal during the next few minutes. Milward screwed in once and Maxwell shot in the right direction but had not made sufficient allowance for stickly ground,, and the ball stopped short by a few inches. Mills next wound up a fast movement by shooting well from the right, but Williams was safe. Pretty play, by way of reply was seen between Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, who forced a corner, and from the advantageons position that ensued Robinson and Kelso tried a long shot. Maxwell also sent in hard, but Brown gave further evidents of much resource in goal, and it was evident it would require a very keen shot to beat him. Shaw a little later on caused some anxiety to Evertonians on getting in a good aim, which Williams was only just in time to turn behond the post. The foresters also gave some trouble on the right but after much tumbling about the lines were cleared momentarily. Notts at this period were several times near scoring but the interval arrived with the sides even and the score nil. On resuming Williams had to throw out, and with the let off Everton settled down to a protracted siege on goal. Maxwell would doubtiess have scored had he not been foul by Hamilton, and then Milward and Wyliie each sent in a fairly good shot. A better attempt was that by Kelso, who tried from a long range. The pressure on the visitors' goal was severr, but the defence proved strong, and held out until the Foresters could move down in open order, when McPherson tested Williams with a hard and straight shot. Latta from Robertson and Maxwell again grew threatening, but Scott pervented an accurate aim. Lindley next headed a raid. McLean arrested the movement, but yet Willaims was called upon to negotiate a shot by Pike. The game returned to its general phase, of Everton raining shots in every direction round the goal, but never to get one through. Maxwell's aims being particularly good. Lindley varied things by going off down the centre; but when drawing near goal he paused to look round, and Howarth promptly took the ball away, and another ineffectual onslaught was carried on by Everton, with Latta and Maxwell the most conspicuous men in working hard to reduce the apparently impregnable Notts Fortress. And so the game proceeded. Both sides were well matched, and the visitors came out so strongly in staying power that towards the close they had rather the best of play; but there was no beating the defences, and a keen game ended in a draw, no goals having been scored.




December 21 1891

The Liverpool mercury

This match was played at Chirk. Both teams were well represnted. Everton were the first to show up, but had hard lines whilst James shot the first goal for Chirk. Jardine saved wellm, but was hurt and the game was stopped for some time. Gordon equalised. In the second half Everton only played ten men, Kent who had been injured in the first half, not reappearing. Chirk had the best of the play during the half, but Jardine had not many shots to stop, as Chadwick and Collins kept the home forwards in check. Everton were dangerous a few times, and Lochhead nearly scored. Towards the finish Chirk pressed. The game resuled in a draw 1 goal each.

Palyed 13, won 11, lost 0 draw 2 for 58,, against 7, points 24


December 26, 1891. The Wrexham Advertiser

Played at Chirk on Saturday, before a rather a small number of spectators. Everton won the toss, and Butler kicked off for Chirk. Everton at once came away, and Elliott shot. Povey missed, but the leather, went across the mouth of goal, and rolled out. Everton appealed for a goal, but the appeal was not allowed. The visitors again passed well, and McMillan was nicely placed, but Postles cleared. W.P. Jones put in some good work. Elliott centred from touch, and Murray headed in, Povey just saved at the expense of a corner. This was well placed, but W.P. Jones cleared with a good kick. A free kick for hands near the home goal looked dangerous, but Kent kicked behind. Another free kick for Everton in midfield was not made much use of. Chirk then began to show up, and going to the other end gained a corner. This was well sent in, and after the game had been carried on for some time in front of the visitors' goal, E. James shot the first goal for Chirk amidst cheers. On kicking off from the centre, Everton were again dangerous, Povey hitting out a good shot from Murray. Gordon had a chance but shot wide. A free kick was granted Everton near the home goal, but the ball was sent through without touching anyone. Egan and G. Owen put in some nice passing. R. Jones sent the ball back, but Mates returned, and the play was soon around Jardine, who kicked out two long shots. A free kick for Everton, was well placed, but McMillan handled. This relief was not for long, however, as directly afterwards Pinnell shot a little wide. At the other end, Jardine hit away a good shot from Egan, and then James kicked behind. The ball quickly travelled to the Chirk goal. Gordon centred, and Povey just saved a shot from McMillan, a corner following. This was beautifully placed, and an exciting bully took place in the home goal, the ball being finally removed out of danger. Elliott centred, and Povey missed the ball, but Gordon screwed over the bar. Egan and G. Owen were getting dangerous, when Collins came across and saved. A corner for Chirk led to some fast play in front of the visitors' goal. W. Owen put in a shot, which Jardine saved in fine style. Chirk still kept up the pressure, and from a shot by Butler Egan headed into goal. Jardine again saved, but in doing so, hurt his knee badly, and the game was stopped for some time. On resuming, the visitors rushed away, and from a pass by Murray, Gordon equalised the score. James directly afterwards shot behind. A free kick for foul play by Chadwick was cleared, and McMillan and Elliott burst away. The latter shot, and the ball hit the top of the crossbar and went over. Gordon got past everybody except Povey but shot wildly over the bar. Chirk then played up, and bombarded the visitors' goal for some time. Egan tried two shots, but they both went wide and half-time arrived with the score sheet; Chirk one goal; Everton one.

On changing ends, Everton only had ten men, Kent, who had been injured in the first half, not re-appearing. Chirk were the first to show up, and Collins and Chadwick were kept busy. Once Collins slipped up, and James got clean away. Chadwick came across just in the nick of time, and James finally shot wide. R. Jones handled the ball, but the free kick was not taken full advantage of, as the leather was sent behind. Chirk pressed nearly continuously, but the good play of the backs kept the home forwards at a distance, and Jardine was rarely troubled. A low shot from G. Owen just passed outside the posts. Two free kicks were granted the visitors near the home goal, but the danger was cleared, and the ball was quickly at the opposite end, Jardine saving a good shot from Butler. Povey was next called upon to save a fine shot from Lockhead, and Jardine had to kick out a long shot from Mates. Egan got well up, but kicked behind, and a long shot from the same player was also wide of the mark. The visitors then livened up, and Povey saved well. A throw-in fell to Chirk near the corner flag. Egan secured and sent in a fine shot, which Jardine hit away. Chadwick put in some good work. A free kick was awarded to Everton in midfield, but this did not relieve the pressure for Long. Chadwick deprived Butler when he was well placed. After the home team had come very near scoring, Everton had a turn. The home forwards brought the ball back, and G. Owen just shot wide. Towards the close of the game Chirk kept up a nearly continual pressure. Both Egan and G. Owen shot wide, and then Jardine saved a shot from W. Owen. “Time” arrived with Chirk pressing, and the match was left drawn –Chirk, 1 goal; Everton 1. The teams were as follows; Chirk; Povey, goal; W.P. Jones and Postles, backs; R.E. Jones, Mates and M. Roberts, half-backs; James and Owen, right wing; Egan and G. Owen, left wing; Butler, centre. Everton; Jardine, goal; Collins and A. Chadwick, backs; Kent, R. Jones and Lockhead, half-backs; Gordon, and Murray; right wing; Elliott and McMillan, left wing; Pinnell, centre. Referee, Mr. J. Taylor, Welsh F.A.



December 26 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Williams saves penalty kick , McLean breaks his arm.

The Christmas Day attraction-no other could have been greater at Anfield was the return League match between Everton and Sunderland, the previous game, in which Geary received the injury that has incapaciatated him since, having been played at Wearside on October 3, and won by Sunderland by 2 goals to 1. It is singular that in all the contests hitherto entered upon by these teams no more than a goal had been the extent of victory, and that the narrow success had rested in every instance with the club. Of five matches played between Everton and Sunderland, only one was at Liverpool,, and so the visitors yesterday had a record in their favour of four games to one. The teams are evidently well match and it was a good idea to select a genaral hoilday as the occasion of the home feature with the Wearsiders, the only matter of regret being that the ground and weather were not more suitable for a fair and complete test of the skill of such apparently equal combatants. There was an excellent attendance every foot of space seeming to be occupied and it must have numbered fully 13,000. The teams were as follows:- Everton; Williams (R), goal; McLean (D), and Howarth (R), backs, Kelso (R),Holt (J), (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs, Latta (A), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards. Sunderland; Doig, goal, Porteous and Gow, backs Wilson, Auld, and Murray, half-backs, Hannah (J), Hannah (D), Campbell, Miller, and Scott forwards. Everton kicked off and some nice passing on the home right at once called upon Sunderland to defend. The vistors'left made ground and forced a corner. During the scrimmage a penalty kick was conceded, but Williams made a fine save by standing forward, the ball flying over the bar from the return shot from a penalty shot by Wilson. Latter after Williams had received an ovation for his smart work in a trying crisis, went away but found a barrier in the left back. Milward passed to Chadwick who shot a little wide. The amidst much excitement, went to the other end, where Kelso came to the rescue, and working up again Sunderland were dangerous on the right. The ball went out, but the visitors returned in good formation on the left to be beaten off. Everton now had a turn and got a free kick on the left. Gow administered a check, and after a throw in the home team the two Hannahs sprinted goalwards and centred. Howarth in cleaning goal, gave a corner. No relief came and from the throw in the ball was placed to Miller who hanged through and scored. With this early reverse Everton moved quickly towards their opponents goal and Milward was unlucky in not penetrating, a hard shot sending the ball against a player. Sunderland were very threatening immediately following this let off. But Holt intercepted and, sending forward Latta made a great effort to get within shooting range, but the ball was overan. Keeping well in Sunderland quarters, Everton were very near equalising as Maxwell shot closely. A fast movement by the visitors on the left was too much for McLean to cope with, and D Hannah piloted through. Everton were again in trouble but Williams made a double check first running out and then falling back to fist out a return. The game continued to be keenly contested. Everton made strenuous efforts to improve their position and Wyllie finished off good forward work by shooting well. The pressure was sustained on the visitors goal, and a corner was forced, from which Robertson headed well in. goods shots were essayed but Doig was safe. A raid was then made on the Sunderland left, and in the course of a running charge at Scott McLean broke his right arm. Which caused his retirement. Kkelso now went full back and Latta dropped into the half-back line. Thus handicapped. Everton were hard pressed, and Williams and his co-defenders had a lively time of it. Some good defence was shown for a while but on Auld lobbing in a lengthen shot Williams seemed confused and making no attempt to meet the ball a third goal was easily registered. At this stage Chadwick also left the field and during his absence the visitors were seldom out of the home quarters. On Chadwick's return he headed a run, but the Sunderland left back pulled him up. There was little combination in the game now, Kelso being most conspiouous for his defensive tactics and when half-time arrived with the score 3 goals to nil against Everton. Play was still in close proximity to Williams. On Campbell restarting. Everton were quickly in the visitors' half, but there being only four forwards the combination was, of course, not finished. Still energy was dominant, and Milward, running across, shot hard and well, but without the desired effect. Another attempt was made to get at goal but the Sunderland half-backs were too wily and play was transferred to the home end. Here Kelso was especially successful in beating off the powerful attacking party. Sunderland continued to have the upper hand, and by some clever concerted play again surrounding the home citadel J Hannah from a pass by Miller smartly notching the fourth point. Everton put in all they knew to mend matters but their attack was weak, and was easily accounted for by the powerful defence of Gow and Porteous. Play was now delayed some minutes by the intrusion of one or two senseless spectaators, who deliberately walked on to the field of play to dispute decisions. These were of course, promptly expelled and the game resumed. For a time Everton had the best of matters. Chadwick and Maxwell in turn having a shy at goal. But all to no purpose. A smart bit of work was witnessed on the visitors left, but was as cleverly broken up by Kelso, who lobbed well forward. Coming again the W earsiders had matters much to their own liking, and had not Howard put in a timely rescue another entrance might have been compossed. From an Everton point of view the game had long lost its interst as the home side were seldom in the running. Sunderland also taking matters easy, play ruled tame Milward tried long shot out of range and then Williams had throw away an accurate aim by D Hannah. Latta was next conspicuous in midfield but Porteous relieved by a fine lob. Milward was also prominent on the left and rushing through all defence parted to Chadwick who missed badly. When in a close position, and the game ended in a decisive win for Sunderland by 4 goals to nil.


December 26, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

The enthusiasts in Association games should be happy at this merry season. Yesterday he had the pleasure of witnessing in Liverpool one of the most important of the whole series of League matches, and today he has a choice of two high-class contests, with the opportunity of being amused and at the same time in helping the Stanley Hospital to a greater position of usefulness. Everton have a visit paid them by the Glasgow Thistle, which club will fill the gap occasioned by the Glasgow Rangers, who should have been at Everton today, having to replay their undecided tie with Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup competition.


Everton V. Denton, Denton. Kick-off at 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; A. Chadwick and Collins, backs; Kirkwood, Jones and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards. Reserves, Fairbrother.

Everton League v. Glasgow Thistle


Everton League v. Aston Villa, Birmingham (League)

Everton v. Heanor Town, Anfield.

Friday (New Years' Day)

Everton League v Kilmarnock, Anfield

Everton v. Gordon Villa, Gorton, Gorton (Combination).



December 28, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Christmas, from a football point of view, has not been a merry one in Liverpool, for on Friday Everton and Bootle suffered decisive defeats, and again on Boxing Day Everton only just managed to beat Glasgow Thistle. The Christmas Day attraction at Anfield was a captivating one, and the attendance, though not the largest seen on the ground, was capital, but generally the game proved a great disappointment. The state of the field of play –which, despite a coating of sand, was hard and slippery –was against a perfect exhibition of play, but none was prepared to see Everton cut up so badly as they did. They were inferior in every department to Sunderland, who were universally admired for their splendid tactics, uniform speed, and well-judged balanced and presented no weak spot, though some members, notably Wilson and Campbell, outshone their conferes. It is singular that Everton, as they did at Sunderland, should be unfortunately compelled to carry on some portion of the game with only ten men. At Wearside Geary met his injury near the close of the match, but McLean's accident on Friday happened early on, and was thus a much more serious affair, as the game had fully an hour to run at the time McLean, in charging Scott –both falling heavily –broke his arm and caused his retirement. Sunderland were two goals ahead, and Everton's chances of drawing level were gone. They certainly played up pluckily, but in their disorganised formation they were never dangerous, and only once had Doig to defend in the second half. Porteus and Gow also had few opportunities of showing their mettle; but from the very occasional raids attempted by their opponents they gave evidence that they were in fine form, and would have been equal to the attack even if Everton had been represented all through with a full complement of forwards. Wilson, Auld, and Murray each gave a magnificent exhibition of half-back play, and it was with mingled feelings of delight and mortification that the spectators he held the case with which they outmanoeuvred the Everton vanguard. Supported by such a clever trio, the Sunderland forwards had every assistance to make their mark, and it must be said, they took full advantage of their position. They were very fast, and Campbell in the centre, nonplussing Holt with great skill, kept his speedy wings splendidly together, with the result that the combination seemed about as perfect as it could be on a hard frost-bound ground. Their passes were always good either backwards or forward, and how fine the shooting was is told in the score of 4 goals to nil. It soon became apparent that Earp was sadly needed to partner Howarth, as Scott and Miller were yards too fast for McLean, who rarely seemed capable of clearing his lines, and had he continued all through he would have been fairly “run to earth” and the weight of Everton's defeat made heavier than it really was. Kelso, going full back in the emergency, played brilliantly, and the defence was thus stronger than at the outset. Holt worked hard, but he knew what it was to be beaten frequently, as did Robertson and Latta, and none of the forwards came out strongly or satisfactorily, nor did Williams sustain his character as a reliable custodian.

The game at Anfield on Saturday between Everton and Glasgow Thistle was throughout of a most pleasing character, as the performance of the Scotch club quite exceeded the expectations of the home supporters. From start to finish the contest was full of good points. The Scotchmen opened the scoring from a penalty kick and were not long in backing it by a second goal. It was then seen that Everton had found their match, as the home players had to put in all they knew before Chadwick was able, just on the interval, to beat Scouller, who during the course of the game kicked and handled well. In the second half the visitors were first to gain another point, and then Everton went at it in rare style, and tried hard to recover their position, and taking the leather from midfield never allowed their opponents to touch it. Milward, from Chadwick's pass beating Scouller with a real beauty. Still determined, the Anfielders –though having to contend with powerful defence from Herod and Brownlee –gained another goal, from a free kick close in. Splendid work by both sides followed, and the Thistle custodian was indeed unlucky to get the fourth point against him, as according to the referee's decision he checked a grand attempt from Maxwell, when standing over his goal line. This was undoubtedly hard lines for the visitors. No further scoring was done by either side. Throughout the play of both teams was the best order, and the spectators were not slow to appreciate their efforts.

Today Everton have a serve task, as they visit Aston Villa, who on Saturday gave a specimen of their power when at home by defeating Darwen at Perry Barr by 7 goals to nil. Both at Anfield and Hawthorns-road there are to be matches this afternoon. Everton are visited by Heanor Town, from Derby, who have an unbeaten record to show, having won ten out of eleven games played and drawn one, scoring 45 goals to 7.

Association Matches The Newspapers Football Match

Express v Echo

This match, which was played on Saturday morning, caused considerable stir in the Anfield enclosure. The committee of management are to be congratulated upon the success of their efforts, as they will be able to hand over a goodly sum to the Stanley Hospital, there being fully 5000 spectators on the ground to witness the game. Among these present were his worship the Major (Mr. J. De Bels Adams), Councillors J. Houlding and Walker and other gentlemen who are ever ready to assist in any good object. Express won match 1-0.


December 28 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Owning to the Glasgow Rangers having to replay their Scottish Cup tie with Kilnarnock the Everton executive arranged with the Glasgow Thistle to meet them on the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, in a fieldly contest. The thistle-a good all round team-belong to the Scottish Alliance, in which they have played 12 matches this season their record being won 5 lost 4, drawn 3 scoring 37 goals, against 40. There would be nearly 6,000 specatators present when the following teams stepped on the ground:- Everton – Williams (R) goal; Howarth (R), and Fairbrother, backs; Kelso (R), Holt (J) (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs, Latta (A), Wyllie (W), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards. Glasgow Thistle; Schuller, goal, Herod, and Brownlee, backs; Lindsay, Carson, and Martin, half-backs, Stark, Muir, Calderwood, Wood, and Gillespie forwards. The visitors started and at once made tracks towards the home goal. Where Howarth was called upon to conceded a corner, which however, only resulted in Everton making headway on the right, and Latta becoming dangerous Brownlee rushed to the rescue and cleared magnificently. The Thistle were now exceedingly troublesome on the right wing, and Fiarbrother failing to break up the combination of Stark and Muir the former had a very near thing as he headed over the bar. The homesters now seemed to realise what their opponents were made of and put more vigour into their play, which was the means of taxing the abilities of the Scotch defence to its utmost. Herod proved equal to the occasion, and lobbing well forward, his ran aftern prettuy combination caysed Williams to pick up from the foot of Calderwood. Kelso gave Latta who in turn went down with great dash on the wing,, and parting over to his left the Glasgow goal was for a time hotly besieged, Maxwell testing Sculler with a lofty shot, which the Scotchman caught and threw safely out. Play was now intersting, both teams showing fine form, which was much admired by the onloolers. The Glasgow men again became troublesome to Williams who had to fist away from Muir. His clearance was only temporary, however as again he had to deal with another attempt from McInnes. The game continued warm and, surrounding the home goal. The Thistle caused. Howarth to handle within the 12 t=yards limit. The penalty kick was taken most judiciously by Carson, who by a slow low shot gave Williams no chance whatever. This performance was ungrudgingly cheered by the onlookers, as the point was well deserved. From the midfield kick Holt was conspicusous for his tricky play,, as was Brownlee for his fine defence. The latter supporting his custodian in grand style. Maxwell was spendidly supported by Chadwick and Milward as he headed a warm attack on the visitors end, and though shot afater shot was banged in to Scouller, the desired effort could not be attained, as he used both hands and feet in a marvellous manner. Encouraged by the fine defence of their backs, the Scotsmen worked hard and well, and Gillespie trickily eluding Howarth brought pay in front of Williams, and after a dertermined effort, a second point was placed to their credit. With the second reverse Everton did not realise the position and in their old style fairly walked round their opponents and Chadwick, by a grand lofty shot, beat Sculler for the first time. Nearing the interval both custodians were troubled, but when the whistle blew the score stood:- everton 1 gaol, thistle two goals. Resuming Holt was the first show up, as he cleverly dispossessed Calderwood, and the Evertonians moved to their opponents quarters. Herod was lucky to get in a timely kick as the ball was sailing through. Fairbrother returned and Wyliie tested the ability of Sculler, a feat was immediately repeated by Latta without result. The visitors next became aggressive and Fairbrother was beaten by Muir who crossed accurately over to his inside left, and the Scotchmen lost no time in adding another point for the side from close rang. Not relishing this third defeat the homesters, from the midfield kick, fairly ran round their opponents and before any of the visitors had touched the ball Milward hanged through-a performance which was loudly applauded both sides now worked hard and some sterling play was withness. A foul against the visitors in their goalmouth quickly drew matters level the ball being scrimmaged through. Everton tried hard to get ahead and caused the opposing defence great trouble. After many attempts their effects proved successful as from a close range Maxwell gave Scouller a wark handful which according to the decision of the referee. He caught when behind his line. Give and take play was now withness neither side having the advantage and a pleasant and fuinely contested game ended in a win for the League champions bt 4 goals to 3.




December 28 1891

Played at Denton on Saturday. The home team commented with ten men and were almost continuously on the defence. Everton leading by 3 goals to nil. At half-time. Denton improved later on but failed at goal, while Everton, always on form for their good combination added four more points and won by 7 goals to nil.

Played 14, won 12, lost 0, draw 2, for 65 against 7 points 26



DEMEMBER 29 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Everton journeyed to Perry Barr yesterday to fulfil their return League fixture with Aston Villa. The last occasion on which the means met was at Anfield-road. When Aston Villa were beaten by 5 goals to 1. There was a tremedous gathering of spectators present when the following teams stepped upon the enclosure;- Everton: Williams (R), goal; Earp (E), and Howarth (R), backs, Kelso (R), Holt (J) (captain), and Robertson (H), half-backs Latta (A), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards. Aston Villa: Hinchley, goals, Evans,, and Baird backs, Brown, Cowan,, and Campbell (G), half-backs, Athersmith, Dickson, Devey, Hodgetts, and Campbeel (L), forwards .The sun shone brightly, and the ground was in fair condition when the teams stepped upon the field, which presented a very animated appearance. Losing the toss Devey, started for the Villa, before 12,000 onlookers. Everton had the best of the opening exchanges, as Milward getting a lob from Howarth. Had a lofty shy over the bar. The homesters, from mthe goal kick, went down in full force and Williams had saved splendidly from Campbell, Devey had another shy, with the same result. Everton now combined grandly and working through all defence, Chadwick tested Hinchley with a warm handful. Two corners to Everton followed this attempt, but the leather ultimately went skimming over the bar. The Villa defence was taxed to its utmost but through Maxwell tried twice nothing resulted. Progess was made on the home right, and sailing finely through the visitors defence, Dickson failed badly when near Williams. Everton next experienced the hardest of hard lines as their front rank moved smartly down upon Hinchley and an accurate shot by Chadwick before the home custodian could get away went to all apperances behind the bar. The visitors claimed strnuously for a goal but mr stacy thought otherwise. The visitors again became prominent for sterling tactics and for a considerable time kept their rivals well in hand. Holt being most conspicuous,, and time after time he broke them up. A movement by the Villa ran was cleverly checked by Robertson, and Everton getting into line fairly sailed round their opponennts, and Maxwell crossing accurately over to Milward the left winger banged through the first point for the vistitors, 20 minutes from the start. Not content with this success, barley a minute elapsed before a second point was gained by a spendid effort from the foot of Wyllies. The League championships continued to hold the upper hand,, and their play was really a treat to witness, the combination shown being most correct they repeatedly making rings round the Villa defenders. After a lively tussle between Latta and Baird the leather was cleverly taken along on the line,, and the Everton right winger screwing across to Maxwell. No time was lost before another goal was scored by a swift low shot from the latter. The villa tried hard to mend matters, but owing to the Anfielders defence they failed to make headway. Nearing the interval the homesters had a fruitless attempt at williams, and on the call of the whistle the score stood Aston Villa nil. Everton 3 goals.

On resuming, the Villa were the first to attack, But Kelso and Robertson sent them to the rightabout and a temporary raid up on Hinchley was checked by Evans. The Villa now worked hard and ashowed better quality of play. Coming grandily away on the left Devey quickly availed himself of an opening by a swift low shot from close ranges. This performance fairly brought''down the house'' as the spectators cheered again and again. From the centre kick fine play by Cowan and Brown placed their forward's in the Everton quarters, and Hodgetts cleverly caused a second downfall for Willams from a short cross by L Campbell. This second reverse did not in any way disconcert the Evertonians as they went away in full swing, Chadwick and Milward being warmly applauded for their short accurate passing. Outwitting, the Brum defenders Chadwick fairly excelled himself, as after clearing his way he scored a real beauty by a long high shot, thus giving his side a further lead. The Villa team tried hard to amend matters, and were successful in their efforts owing to a misunderstanding by Kelso, Hodgetts doing the needful with a lob which gave Wil.liams no chance whatever. Play now ruled even and was of the best description being fast and full of interst. A hot scrimmage next took place in front of Williams Earp, however, rushed to the rescue and came out of the oredeal with flying colours. Nearing the finish the homesters tried hard to make matters level but so strong was the Everton defence that they kept at bay, and on the call of time Everton after what was uadoubtedly the finest exhibition of football withness at Perry Bar this seaon retired the visitors by 4 goals to 3.



December 29 1891

The Liverpool mercury

There was only a fair attendance at Anfield yesterday afternoon to withness the match between these clubs. the home team had the beeter of the opening stages but Simons held the opposing wing at bay Elliott and McMillan raced down and following a rush on the visitors goal McMillan sent past Carlin within a few minutes from the start. On resuming Kirkwood did a lot of work on the home left, and for the next few minutes the visitors were occupied in staving off the rushes of the home forwards. Twice Carlin was called upon, but the ball was safely got away, and Wright and Carter by good combination got well within xshooting range, but the home defence was stubborn, and the venue was as quickly changed. A couple of friutless corners fell to the Evertonians, when Wright spec down the centre, and successfully claiming a free kick the home end was reached, but the shooting was feeable and Smalley easily cleared. Chadwick sent down, and Pinnell had the goal at his mercy, but shot wide. Though from the goal kick McMillan got within range and notched his second goal. The home halves continually broke up the visitors combination and for the next ten minutes the Evertonians were severly pressing their opponents. Gordon tried a long shot which struck the bar ann passed through and hardly a minute had elasped when Pinnel added the fourth from a miskick in goal by Colton. A flash by the vistors wqas spoiled by erraticshooting and after Lochhead has sent down, a heavy scrimmage took place in the visitors' goal but the ball was safety got waay though within a couple of minutes the home ran again got under weight and Elliott beat Carlin with a long low shot. It was only a rare intervals that the visitors made any show attack and then when they did get into anything like position their final effort were too feeble to be effective. At length the visitors were penalised and Pinnell meeting the return from Carlin registered the sixth goal. Half-time was now called, with the score-Everton 6 goals; heanor town nil. And a raid was at once made on the visitors' goal. Murray sent in a clinking shot but, to the amusement of the spectators, his centre headed the ball clear, and the Heanor right pairr got prettily down, but failed to pass backs. For a time the visitors display nice points and obtained a free-kick in a favourable position, but failed to make use of the opportunity and the other end was reached, where Tyrer and Carlin put in some capiatl defensive work. Carter raced prettily down and centre well, but was not backed up, and immediately following Elliott had the goal at his mercy, but shot high over the bar. Peace dispossessed Pinnell and sent in a long shot, which Smalley successfully manipulated, and the home van by nice combination reached the other end. But the final efforts were erractic. Heanor played up to greater advantage later on and Wright was given an easy chance in front of goal but the ball passed harmlessly over the bar. Carlin cleverly saved a couple of good shots from Murray and Pinnel. Even play ensued, and the visitors left forced a corner off Chadwick and the ball being nicely centred Carter rushed it past Smalley, and scored the first and only point for his side, Everton winning by 6 goals to 1. Teams:-

Everton; Smalley (R), goal; Chadwick (A), and Fairbrother back; Lochhead (A), Jones (R), and Kirkwood (D), half-backs, Elliott (J), McMillan (J), Pinnel (A)., Murray (J), and Gordon (P) forwards

Heanor townL:- Carlin, goal; Tyrer, and Colton backs Webb, Peace, and Simson half-backs, Carter, Atkins Wright, Stow, and Jardine forwards.

Goals Everton McMillan two, Pinnell two, Gordon one, Elliott one. Headon town, Carter.



December 31, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

To the Editor of the Liverpool Mercury

Gentleman, _I think, the Everton team are charging rather a high a price for admission to their ground. Any person going to see the matches every week will find it rather expensive paying 6d, each time. I think 3d, is plenty to pay to see a football match. I am now referring to the League team. I am sure it would suit everybody, and more people would patronise the matches. Hope the committee will take this into consideration. Liverpool, Dec 30, 1891. Hopeful.