November 1891




The fog, was very dense when E verton left Liverpool, but on reaching Preston the sun was shining brilliantly, and so far as the elements were concerned evertything promised well for a good game. With the exception of Maxwell (inside-right) and Jardine, the visitors teams was the same as last week. Teams as follwed:- trainer, goal, helmes, and ross backs, sharpe, ross (captain) and stewart halfhalfs, gordon, ross (jun), drummond, towie and gallacher, forwards

Everton,, jardine (d), kelso (r) mclean (d) backs, kirkwood (d) holt (j) (captain) robinson (h), wyllie (t) maxwell (a) (debut), laata (a) chadwick (e), and milward (a), forwards.

About 12,000 specatators were present, and at five minutes past three latta started for the visitors. Towie and drummond were first away, but found mclean too much for them. Kirkwood was most noticeable for stopping an homesters movement of the home left and then Milward showed ineffectually. For some minutes the Everton defences was sorely tried, but at length Kelso relieved. Trainer was again called upon, and the visitors ntill Keeping up the pressure, N ross was expelled to concede a corner. This having been safely got rid of, Gallacher and Towie initiated a good onward movement with their antageuist's quarters but Kelso defendered. North End again. The hme right made spendid attack in eluding McLean, and Gordon centre to Drummond, who had no difficultly in deating Jardine. This was all that was done up to0 half-time North End 1, Everton nil. Drummond restarted, and the opening play was spiritualy tested in midfield. Jardine was called again to handle, but north end returned to the outslaught with towie succeded in scoring a second point pass Jardine.later Gordon registered a third goal, and J ross a fourth , a good game ending in favour of north ends by 4 goals to nil.


November 2, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

Fully 12,000 people assembled at Preston to see the struggle between these famous Lancashire elevens. Play was fast and fairly even for the first half-hour, and then Drummond scored for North Enders. Soon afterwards a scrimmage took place close to the Preston goal, but Trainor cleared. The game then became fairly even again, Preston being a goal ahead at half-time. Within ten minutes of the resumption Towie put on a second for North End. Gordon obtained a third, and although play for some time afterwards was fairly even, Everton never looked like a materially reducing their opponent's lead. As a matter of fact, Ross junior kicked another goal for Preston, who were left victors by four goals to nil.



November 2 1891

Liverpool mercury

At anfield in presentance of fully 3,000 spectators. Everton won the toss and at6 once proceed to make matters lively for the chester defenders, who offered a stubborn resistance for a time. At length Murray opened the Everton account with a smart shot. Gordon poy on number two and after Pennell had very hardlines. Elliott was instrumental in adding other three golas to the Everton total. The half-hime score being Everton 5, Chester nil. The second half was more evently lessfully repelled, however and after an off-side goal had been disallowed Gordon added a good point, and the game end Everton 6 goals; chester nil

Played 7, won 6, lost 0, draw 1 for 31, against 3 points 13

Everton team, williams (r), chadwick (a) collins (j), parry (c jones (r) lochhead (a), gordon (p), pinnell (a), maxwell (a) , elliott (j), mcmillan (j)


November 9, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

Earp, the Nottingham Forest back, will play for Everton when not required by the Forest, who can rely on having first claim on his services, as Earp is an amateur who takes great interest in the fortunes of the “Reds”. Everton defence is at present a great source of trouble to the club's managers, and Earp's services should be very welcome.

November 2, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Nothing surprising was the outcome of the six League matches decided on Saturday, unless it was the unequivocal manner in which Preston North End triumphed over Everton. Everton failed unexpectedly at Deepdale to retain the strong line taken at Derby a week ago, and instead of a victory of 3 goals to 0, are discomfited with a defeat of 4 goals to nil. What a transformation, and how different are the feelings of their followers. Last week justifiable hope was indulged that the championship would be held by Everton for another season, but now the outlook is not roseate, for whilst the Liverpool club have a see-saw experience, the Bolton Wanderers, in particular, win games, with more consistency. The defeat suffered by Everton is the heaviest they have had to submit to at Deepdale in connection with the League, the nearest approach to it being in 1889 –the first year of the League, when North End knew no defeat –the score than being 3 goals to nil. The game was marked by that high feeling that seems inseparable from these contests between the champions and ex-champions, and science was sacrificed to more forcible means. There was roughness, and fouls were frequent. J. Ross’s excesses once provoking a reprimand from the referee. Still, Preston North End played the better game, and worked determined for the prize secured. Ross and Holmes when the halves failed to break up the Everton combination, were very safe in their tackling and kicking, and Trainor was equal to any shots that came his way. The forwards worked in good combination with Gordon, who was the best man on the field, being particularly conspicuous, though Drummond could do nothing remarkable, so well was he attended to by Holt. The Everton forwards were disappointing. Maxwell who superseded Murray, was badly kicked early on, and this will account for some of the failure; but after making every allowance, it vanguard was about the worst seen this season. Latta was given no quarter, and so effectively did N.J. Ross, and Saunders which his movements, that he never got a shot at goal. The half-backs all worked hard, and cannot be blamed for the reverse, Holt especially making friends for his finished play. Kelso also did exceedingly well, but Mclean, who held on soundly for a long time, was tried severely in the closing stages of the game, ad was then literally run off his feet.
All was to be expected; Everton added two more points to their combination total by beating Chester to the extent of 6 goals to nil. The game was not by any means a brilliant one, and was chiefly noticeable for the plucky manner in which Chester played on the finish. Taylor proved himself as good as back as there was on the field, and received able support from Maddock and Carty. Forward, Morris, Carter and Thompson made a good show and never relaxed their efforts, even when defeat was inevitable. For the winners Williams was never asked a question. A Chadwick and Collins being quite equal to all emergencies. Parry seemed most in demand of the halves, while the only objectionable feature into the forward line was the persistent manner in which the wing players helped themselves to the almost utter exclusion of Pinnell, who filled the centre. In the latter player Everton have secured a “rough diamond” well worth looking after.

November 2, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton went to Deepdale on Saturday to play their return League match with the North End. The last contest at Everton having resulted in a draw, the enthusiasm of the home supporters was aroused to great dimensions, no fewer than 1200 persons leaving Liverpool to witness the encounter. The day was a grand one, a bright sun making the atmosphere agreeable. The ground was also in tiptop condition. Preston played the same team as that at Liverpool, while Maxwell filled Murray’s palate at inside right, and Jardine was again at his post in goal. The following were the teams;- Preston North End –Trainor, goal; Holmes and Rose, backs; Sharpe, Saunders, and Stewart, half-backs; Gordon, Ross, jun., Drummond, Towie, and Gallacher, forwards. Everton;- Jardine, goal; Kelso and McLean, backs; Kirkwood, Holt (captain), and Robertson, half-backs; Wyllie, Maxwell, Latta, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Holt led on his men to the field, and the Evertonians were loudly cheered by the 10,000 spectators who lined the enclosure, in similar compliment being served out to the homesters. Latta kicked off for the visitors, who lost the toss. North End were the first to get on the attack, but were immediately sent back; and then Latta brought out Holmes, relief coming to the home team by the ball being kicked over. Preston gradually working down Jardine’s charge was assailed, but Kelso cleared; and after Maxwell ad Wyllie had shone out, J. Ross was cautioned for fouling Holt. The free kick resulting in nothing tangible, the Prestonians soon returned, and Kelso had to negotiate from Gallacher. Enthusiasm ran high amongst the Evertonians as Latta parted to Chadwick, but the latter shot over. The North End then had a turn, and Saunders’s shot for goal was finely headed clear by Robertson. So aggressive were Everton at this juncture that the whole of the home defence was brought out, Sharpe, being the most conspicuous. it now looked promising for Everton as Milward sent over to Wyllie and the latter returned across the goalmouth, Latta then fed the attack in clever fashion, but it was broken up finely by Holmes, and the pressure in front of Trainor was not eased until Ross conceded a barren corner. For some time after this Everton were in the home half, mainly through the exertions of Holt, who was playing a splendid game. Towie and Gallocher, however, raised the siege, and after a bit of goalmouth play the latter sent over the crossbar from short ranges. At last, and with Everton all in front of Trainor, Gordon got possession and dashed along, and in beating McLean, crossed to Drummond who with no one in front of him but Jardine, scored for Preston, with a good shot. Everton went at it with renewed energy after this reverse, and completely stormed Trainor’s charge, a splendid shot by Wyllie being thought by many to have gone through. This was rather hard luck, as Trainor failed to work the ball. As half-time was arriving, the game continued fast and furious, and Latta and Maxwell were in fine position when Saunders rushed in and tripped up Maxwell, but the free kick was valueless. Nothing of any importance took place, and Mr. Clegg sounded the interval four minutes after time, with North End leading by a goal to nil. Drummond restarted, and Robertson returned, Ross senior sheering Latta’s finish down the field. Coming again, however, Chadwick gave Maxwell a chance, with the new man failed to accept, with the result that Jardine’s charge was again all but captured. Chadwick now worked through, and was in the act of passing to Latta when Sharpe brought him down. Fate now seemed to be against the visitors, as they could not get in with many good shots, and it was left to Preston to again score, Towie doing the needful with his elbow out of a scrimmage. North End were playing up well at this stage, and Jardine had to save a scorcher from Drummond. Not to be denied, however, the homesters were again at it, and Gordon, who was lying handy, scored the third goal for Preston. Chadwick continued to work hard, and kept his partners well fed, but any chances that looked like being put to account were lost, Maxwell, who was far from being at home in the game, owing to a serve kick, being the chief defaulter. Although the homesters had done all the scoring, the visitors were by no means played out, as they for several minutes, mainly through their half-backs division and Chadwick kept the North End in their own quarters; ad had the front line been up to anything like their usual form they must assuredly have lessened the margin. After Chadwick had been eased by Holmes, Gordon again got hold and, passing shortly to Ross junior, the latter made the total up to 4 goals. End to end play then ensured, out of which Gordon again got clear, and, dashing along, was steadying for goal when Milward frustrated him. No further scoring taking place, Everton retired beaten, after their worst game of the season, by 4 goal to nil.

November 7, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Liverpool Associationists will welcome Everton League home again this afternoon, they having been away during the last three Saturdays –first to be beaten by the Bolton Wanderers, then to score a success over Derby County, and last week to go down heavily before Preston North End. The visitors to Anfield road today are West Bromwich Albion, who have already this season defeated Everton by four goals to nil, and who last year effected a surprise at Liverpool by beating Everton with the score of 3 goal to 2 on October 25-the first League reverse Everton experienced last season. After the failure at Deepdale the Everton executive had harked back, and chosen the identical team which overthrew Derby County a fortnight ago, and their policy will be generally approved.
Everton v. West Bromwich Albion, Anfield, Kick-off at three o’clock. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Kelso and Mclean, backs; Kirkwood, Holt and Robertson, half-backs; Wyllie, Murray, Latta, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.
Everton v Stockport County, Stockport, Kick-off at three o’clock. The following will play for Everton; Smalley, goal; A. Chadwick and Collins, backs; Body, Jones and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Pinnell, Maxwell, McMillian and Elliott, forwards.


November 9, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton are on equal terms again with West Bromwich Albion, just as they were last year, winning and losing one game each. There is a difference, however, for whilst the visiting club last season was the fortunate one, the home team has now been successful. The goal balance is also transferred. Everton a twelve month ago scored in all 6 goals to 4, but West Bromwich have reversed the record with sight interest, their goals totalling 7 to 4. Everton were hard pressed on Saturday, and, though confidence was generally felt that the issue would be satisfactory one from an Evertonian point of view, they emerged with the narrowest margin of success that it is possible to conceive -4 goals to 3, the winning stroke being made about two minutes before the expiration of time. Everton, not pleased with the display at Deepdale, went back on the selected team that won so creditably at Derby; but the display of the home eleven on Saturday, taken as a whole, came short of expectations. They were irregular, wandering, and less methodical than they ought to have been, seeing that they had played together before. West Bromwich Albion, on the other hand, were splendidly balanced, consistently energetic, and combined almost to perfection. And yet the Albion lost. They were unlucky to lose, for it will be generally conceded that they dished up tasty courses for the company assembled, played a clever game, and proved themselves past masters of the art of football that makes their position as whippers-in of the League an inconsistency –that is of the form of the “Throstles” as seen at Anfield on Saturday is the true one. Every man did that which merited praise. Bassett enjoyed the most success, but he had a capital partner in Nicholls. The left wing play of Geddes and Pearson was also of high order, and Kirkwood and Kelso were not permitted many reposeful moments; whilst Groves kept well in touch with the man that flanked him. Perry did some smart things, and Latta found himself now and again nonplussed, whilst McCulloch and Dryer, particularly the latter on the left, were difficult wing half-backs to outmancenvre. Nicholson especially in the first half, gave a splendid exhibition of back play, as did Powell, though the latter was not so often called upon. Roberts succumbed chiefly to scrimmages, and had no chance against the shot by which Latta scored the fourth goal. Williams kept goal well, but should have prevented at least one of the three goals being gained. The backs were not seen at their best. Not were the half-backs. All three worked hard, but Holt was several times outwitted towards the close. Murray seemed the weak spot in the attack, and his decency in stature is not compensated in his profundity of skill. Dyer was too resourceful for him. Wyllie did famously, seeing he was moderately supported. No fault could be found with the left wing and Latta, and the latter’s fearless and clever run, which secured the winning hit, was undoubtedly the feature of the match. It is to be regretted that an unseemly incident occurred. West Bromwich disputed the ruling of the referee in the matter of Everton’s second goal. Roberts seemed to step back with the ball, and so thought the official. Nicholls, Nicholson and McCulloch then showed an inclination to leave the field, but Bassett was successful in dissuading them; and after a “debate” play proceeded. We understand that Earp and Fairbrother will be Everton backs next Saturday at Darwen. We also hear that Jardine has unavailingly been, asked to be released so that he can assist Blackburn Rovers, and that Mr. Roper has sounded Geary with a view to helping Sefton Cricket Club next summer.

November 9, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The return fixture was played at Anfield-road on Saturday, and despite the slight rain and fog, over 16,000 spectators turned out to witness the homesters effecting the 4 to nil defeat received at Stoney-lane. For the hometsers, Jardine and Maxwell were supplanted by Williams and Murray respectively. The visitors were at their full strength, as will be seen from the following;- West Bromwich Albion; Roberts, goal; Nicholson, and Powell, backs; McCulloch, Perry, and Dyer, half-backs; Bassett, Nicholls, Groves, Geddes, and Pearson, forwards. Everton; William, goal; Kelso and McLean, backs; Kirkwood, Holt (captain), and Robertson, half-backs; Wyllie, Murray, Latta, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Referee, Mr. Erlam, Davenham. Punctual to time both teams entered the enclosure, and were loudly cheered. Losing the toss, Everton kick-off, and soon Chadwick, from a pass by Milward caused Roberts to kick out. The homesters, however, immediately returned, and pressure against the “Throstles” was only eased by a barren corner. After Everton had been dangerous from a free kick, Bassett worked with his partner finely down the right, with the result that the home custodian had to clear, while at the other end Roberts was caused some anxiety by Latta and Chadwick and each custodian had to negotiate well-meant stroke. Latta placed the ball to Chadwick rather nicely from a pass by Robertson, but the home inside man shot high over performances which was immediately followed by Milward and Wylie. Everton now showed a fine bit of football on their right, the outcome of which was that Latta drew the first goal of the match for Everton 15 minutes from the start. The “Throstles” made an effort to equalise, but found Kelso ready, and then Murray kicked out of danger high over the bar. Again West Bromwich went down, and, after the homesters had stalled off three attempts, Bassett succeeded in equalising the game with a shot which Williams failed to reach. Spurting up after this the homesters were busy in front of Roberts, but so well was the visiting defence playing that they were driven back, and, from smart play by the Stoney-Laners, Geddes gained the lead by beating Williams with a regular flyer. Wyllies and Murray took play from midfield, but the fouling of the former by Powell spoiled a chance, as the free kick was worked by Roberts. With a determination worthy of them, Everton were playing in splendid fashion, and after Nicholson had worked a couple of stingers from Chadwick, the latter forced another barren corner, Powell meeting his shot and sending over the bar. At length ease came to the visitors through a dashing run by Groves, and Mclean was forced to concede a corner to Bassett, while in the home and Nicholson eased with a timely and barren corner. Nothing further in the scoring line took place up to the interval, when the game stood –Albion 2, goals; Everton 1. With a point to the good Groves kicked off, and Roberts had a warm time of it, three shots from Chadwick, Milward, and Latta sorely trying his abilities, but the old custodian was at his best, and threw out in a masterly manner. Expectation now ran high amongst the homesters as Latta sent in a shot which bounced off Nicholson into Roberts hands. A claim that the Albion custodian was behind the chalk line when he cleared the ball was sustained by the referee, and a goal accordingly given to Everton. This evidently netted a few of the “Throstles,” as Nicholson, Nichols, and McCulloch were leaving the ground, in an unsportsmanlike manner when little Bassett prevailed upon them to remain. The official maintained that Roberts not only was behind the uprights, but that he turned sideways in the goalmouth with the ball in his hands. The game was restarted with forcible play, both sides using their weight in a perfectly legitimate style. Everton took up the running, and Roberts was twice called upon to throw away from Milward and Chadwick. After Wyllie, who had been very deadly with his screws, had sent over, Everton again got the lead from a scrimmage in goal, Wyllie being successful in notching a third point from Everton. To show that the Albion had not yet shot their bolt, they began a severe attack on the right. after being driven back a few times Bassett returned, and, eluding McLean, screwed into William’s hands, the throw out from the home custodian rebounding off Bassett returned, and, eluding McLean, screwed into William’s hands, the throw out from the home custodian rebounding off Bassett and going through the posts, thus equalising the game for the third time. Both sides never relaxed their efforts to get the upper hand, with the consequences that the game was kept going at high pressure. The respective defences were always kept fully employed, and each goalkeeper was often called upon to negotiate well-meant shies. It was last however to Everton to snatch the victory, the home end the latter lobbed across to Latta, who put in a grand run down the centre, grounding Perry in the course, and beat Roberts with a shot which gave him no chance. The performance of Latta was tremendously cheered, and it will be long remembered by the followers of Everton. On capturing the goal, Roberts complimented Latta on his success. This being the last goal of the match, one of the hardest and most exciting matches of the season ended in favour of Everton with the following result; -Everton, four goals; West Bromwich Albions, 3.




November 9, 1891. The Birmingham Daily Post

An enormous crowd, which must have numbered some 12,000, witnessed the meeting of these clubs in their match at Liverpool. Bright but cold autumnal weather was experienced, and the ground was in excellent condition. Following the kick-off Everton attacked strongly and Roberts was at once called upon to save, but the ball was quickly returned, and Everton were for a time compelled to act on the defensive. The exchanges then for a time became of an even character until, fifteen minutes from the start, Everton once more broke away, and Latta getting possession of the ball, finished up a good run with a successful shot at goal. The visitors then had much the best of the game, and Bassett equalised, while immediately afterwards Geddes supplemented this point with another. Then came another spell of give-and-take play, in which both sides were seen to great advantage; but the Albion were decidedly the keener side, and put more life into their play that did their rivals. No further point was registered, and the sides changed ends with the Albion leading by 2 goals to 1. On resuming the game continued to very fast and spirited, neither side for a time able to gain an advantage. When about twenty minutes had elapsed an unfortunate and regrettable incident occurred which did much to spoil an otherwise good and friendly game. Latta having made a shot at goal, Roberts picked up the ball and returned it, but apparently stepped between the posts in doing so. The goal was claimed and allowed; but the Albion demurred strongly to the decision, and some of the players prepared to leave the field. They were prevailed upon to return; but from that time the spirit-of-the-game underwent a change, and the play became rather too earnest. Eventually the home team were victorious by 4 goals to 3.





At Everton, before upwards of 10,000 spectator. It will be remembered that the first match whilst was played at West Browich on the fifth of september, ended in favour of the albionites by four goals to none. The following comprised the teams:- Everton: williams (r), goal; kelso (r) and McLean (d) backs, kirkwood (d), holt (j) (captain) and robertson (h), half-backs; wyliie (t) murray (p), latta (a), chadwick (e), and milward (a) forwards; West Bromwich; roberts, goal; nicholson and powell backs; McCulloch, perry, and dryer, half-backs, barrett, nicholls, groves, goddes and pearson forwards. The visitors won the toss and at three o'clock latta kicked off towards the anfield-road end. The game commenced pretty fast, and after a few exchanges in midfield, a move was made by the Everton left Rorberts eventully having to save. In another minute the West Bromwich goal had a narrow escape. aFter a sharp tussel in front the West Bromwich forwards passed down the field until McLean gave the order of retreat. After further play in midfield a grand bit of work was done by Everton left wing and another assult was made on Roberts's charge. The West Bromwich goalkeeper saved twice after which the visitors fronk rank moved up in attacking order. But were quicly repused. A grand display of passing was then given by Murray and Wyllie, the ‘'seasawing'' of the pair being a treat to witness. Fically Wyliie gave a sharp pass to Latta, who easily defeated Roberts. Pearson then got away down the left, but came to grief when Kelso steeped in the way. The ball was kept in dangerous proximity to the Everton goal. However, and Williams saved once; but the leather was put over the visitors' right wing, and Bassett sent in a beauful shot, which the Everton goalkeeper had no chance with. Very soon afterwards the vistors again attacked the Everton goal and pearson succeded in scoring the second goal. West Bromwich again rushed down the field and forced futile corner, after which another grand bit of work was done by Latta, Murray, and Wyllie, with the result that Everton made a strong attack, Milward missing a possible chance of scoring. Half-time Everton one gaol, West Bromwich two goals. Groves restarted and very soon the Evertonians were in front of the West Bromwich goal, Chadwick shooting in twice, and nearly scoring at the second attempt, a claim being made for a goal on the ground that the ball went through before it was cleared but this was met not successful. Shortly afterwards another, attack was made by the home side, and nearly the whole team crowed round their opponents goal, Latta eventullay shooting in and beating Roberts. However along disput caused as to whether it was a legitimate gaol and there was a period of great excitement during the time which unseed before a decesition was given. When it bacame known that mr. Earlam had given the point in favour of Everton., there was a regular salve of cheering all round the ground. At length, after another run down the close quarters, a defening cheer announced the fact that Wyllie had scored. West Browich then drew level with a very easy goal, and some four minutes from time Latta registed the winning point after a dashing run. Final result:- Everton 4 goals, West Bromwich Albion 3 goals.


November 7 1891. Cheshire Observer

These teams met at Everton on Saturday, in the presence of about 3,000 spectators. Carter kick-off for Chester and the homesters soon began to press, Evans having to save three shots. Everton had two more good tries, and then Chester broke away, gaining an abortive corner. Everton then threatened, and Murray scored, while Gordon shortly afterwards put in a second. The game continues to be a one-sided character, Chester seldom having a chance, and at Half-time matter stood Everton 5, Chester 0. In the second half Chester played a much better game, both so far as defence and attack were concerned. They were, however, unable to score, but Everton registered another point, and the game ended 6-0.




November 9 1891

Liverpool mercury

At stockport, Maxwell kick off, and Everton took up the attack and indulged in some short passing, which baffled the stockport men. Pinnell rewgistered the first point for Everton with a fine shot. Soon afterwards Maxwell added another goal. Restart the stockport men having rather the best of the argument. Everton soon agaain took up the attack but counld not pass the home defence. The county display good passing getheridge scoring. They tried to equaliser, but failed:- result stockport county 1 Everton 2. E verton team, smalley (r) chadwick (a), collins (j), brady (a), jones (r), lochhead (a) gordon (p), pinnell (a) maxwell (a), elliott (j), mcmillan (j)

Played 8, won 7, lost 0, draw 1, for 33, against 4


November 14, 1891. Wrexham Advertiser

At Stockport on Saturday, before 3,000 spectators . Maxwell kicked off and the County returned, the left wing getting well up. Everton came down with some fine passing, and for some time put the County defence to a severe task. Pinnell eventually scored, and Maxwell put one through shortly after, half-time arriving with the score two goals to none in favour of the visitors. The second half was grandly contested. Final score;- Everton 2 goals, Stockport County 1 goal.

• Douglas and Parry to Chirk.


November 14, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Though Everton League team will be away this afternoon playing the return match with Darwen, whom they defeated at Anfield on September 7 by 5 goals to 3, there are one or two matches at home that ought to receive attention from the followers of the Association cods. At Anfield Road ground the Everton second team, still unbeaten in the combination, play a return game with Maccclesfield, who ran the champions as closely as a goal margin (3 to2) on September 19.

Everton v Darwen, Darwen, Kick-off at 2.45 p.m. The following will play for Everton; D. Jardine, goal; M.J. Earp and D. McLean, backs; R. Kelso, J. Holt, and H. Robertson, half-backs; T. Wyllie, J. Murray, A. Latta, E. Chadwick, and A. Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Macclesfield, Anfield, Kick-off at three p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; A. Chadwick, and J. Collins, backs; D. Kirkwood, R. Jones and A. Lochhead, half-backs; P. Gordon, A. Pinnell, A. Maxwell, J. McMillam, and J. Elliott, forwards.



November 16, 1891. The Liverpool Echo

(Only take reference from these notes)

Mr. Nicholson succeeded in greatly reducing Mr. John Houlding's majority on this occasion; but everybody else knows that it was Mr. Houlding's quarrel with the Everton Football Club that did this, and which offered so excellent an opportunity of winning the seat.



November 16, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton cut up badly at Barley Bank against Darwen, who are to be complimented on a thoroughly deserved victory. They played a quick, rushing kind of game, not characterised so much by combination as downright pluck and determination. They were very much in earnest to win, and their sojourn during the week at Southport had evidently braced them up for the hard task set them. They presented no weak spots, and their play came as a rude awakening and surprise to Evertonians, seeing that Darwen on the two previous occasions they were engaged in league matches were beaten badly –by Aston Villa (5-0), and Notts County (5-1). Everton were disorganised and demoralised. They arrived on the scene but a few minutes before the kick-off, after a hurried walk uphill from the station. Still they at the outset took up the attack, but, presuming they had an easy achievement before them, allowed some chances, that did not occur afterwards, to pass away. Chadwick and Milward were the greatest offenders, and shot wildly several times. Latta was a host in himself at centre, but, lacking proper wing support, particularly on the left, could effect no destruction. Murray again partnered Wyllie, and was always trying his best, but found himself overpowered by the backs. Wyllie played a fine game, his centres across the goal being often brilliant, and deserved to have been turned to better advantage by his comrades than they were. It was a risky experiment on the part of the Everton executive to put two new backs in the field, both unknown to their men, to the exclusion of Mclean, who, if somewhat unpolished in his style, is a safe and fearless hard worker. Kent made a poor defender, and is responsible greatly for Everton's defeat. Earp, however, played a dashing, successful game in the open. He had mot much to test his tackling proclivities on Saturday, but if he is as effective in this line of defence as in using his legs he will be a great acquisition. Kelso was less conspicuous than usual at half-back, but he yet joined Holt and Robinson in strong play. The players were not pleased with the selection of the committee, and it might effect a desirable change for the better if the captain had more voice in arranging and manning the team he is to command.



November 16 1891

Liverpool mercury

Everton played their return League fixture with Darwin at Barley Bank on Saturday, and despite the gloominess of the day another big excursionist party accompanied them to the ‘'peaceful valley.' Kent late of long eaton rangers, played left back in place of McLean for Everton, and was supported by Earp (Notts Forest), whilst kelso went to his accutomed position at right half. The homester were fully represnted. The following were the teams:- Darwen: McOwen, Leach, and Siddons, backs; Yates, Owen, and Thornber, half-backs, Nightingale, Marsden, Alexander, Entwistle, and Smith, forwards. Everton : Jardine (j), goal; Earp (E), Kent (J), backs, Kelso (r), Holt (J) (captain), and Robertsson (H), half-back;, Wylies (T), Murray (J) Latta (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A) forwards. Losing the toss Alexander started for Darwen, and Earp had to stop a dangerous rush on the home left with a timely lunge and Chadwick immediatlty after put a chance over the bar. Everton were again in the home quarters Owen doing some sterling breaking up work but Latta took possession with some difficulty and shot a strong attmpt a few inches outside the post. The homesters from the goal kick made tracks towards Jardine, and working through the vistors' defence Smith was very near with his finish. A fine movement by the visitors wings caused some excitement, but the header from Wyliie allayed anxiety, the ball going outside of its mark. From a fhrow in by Kelso, Chadwick again had a try at goal, but lifted the leatherb high over the ball. It was now ‘Darwin's turn to attack, and so persistent in it were the Barcley Bankers that Jardine succumbed to a scrimmage from Thonber, ten minutes from the start to great delight of the home supporters. Everton went away after this reverse, but so strongly were Darwin in a winning vein that only a barren corner accrued. Chadwick then got the ball in a good position, but again made a mistake, the shot going yards wide. The referee having been hooted for giving a free kick to Everton which came to nought. Nightingale shot past and then Milward from a pass by Latta forced another fruitless corner, relief coming to Darwin by the ball going over the line. The ‘'bankers'' having been nicely pulled up by Earp in the goalmouth, Everton made a sharp advance to the other end, where Murray just missed the desired effect. Everton now showed up in fine combination, and although the ground was not to their liking they for a while sorely taxed the defence of the homesters, which was severly tested as shot after shot from the foot of Latta, Milward, and Wyliie poured in upon them. Hope Robertson was here soon labouring under pain from a kick, and had to retire-an unfortunate occurrence for the visitors. Thus handicapped Everton were put on the defence with the consqence that the abilities of Earp were brough out, and they passed muster from the Liverpool contingent, his tackling and kicking holding his side in good stead. With determination to get on even terms Everton went along by a short passing movement, Latta finishing touch, being well got rid by Siddons. The game though never scientic contined exciting up to the interval, which arrived with Darwin leading by a gaol to nil. Immediately on changing over the visitors made a sharp advance on the right but luck seemed against them as Latta made a couple of fruitless attempts to get through. Smith and Entwistle when were conspicuous by some clever wong work, but Holt broke them up, and converting play to his left, an attack was quickly made upon McOwen a goal looked certain for Everton, but Milward eased danger as he drove the leather clean over the bar. It looked now as if the Everton team were leading a forlorn hope, as they seemed unable to cope with the stricky ground and allowed the homesters to notch a second point from a corner kick, the ball bouncing off one of the Everton backs outside the reach of Jardine. From this stage of the game the homesters gained confidence, and, mainly throough forcible play, completely outwitted Everton, Jardine again succuming to Smith for a third goal. Right on the close of the match Everton seemed to realise their position, and showed some of their old play, Latta brusihing aside all opposition and scoring with a grand shot a minute from time. Everton again began to rush the game but they were too late, and had to retire beaten with the following score: Darwen 3 goals; Everton 1.




November 16 1891

Liverpool mercury

This return combination match was played at anfield-road on Saturday before something like 5,000 specatators. Everton won the first game by 3 goals to 2. But were more decisive in their victory at the second meeting, winning 5-1. They went on even lines at the outset, but after five minutes Maxwell scored. The game progreesed favourably to the home team and before the interval gordon scored twice and kirkwood once. The second half was more evenly contested and gordon scored for Everton and nolan for the visitors.

Everton team, Williams (R) goal; Chadwick (A), Collins (J) backs; Kirkwood (D), Jones (R), and Lochhead (A), half-backs Gordon (P), Pinnell (A) Maxwell (A) Mmillan (J), AND Elliott (J) forwards Played 9, won 8, lost 0, draw 1, for 38, against 5 points 17



November 21, 1891. The Hampshire Advertiser.

Jones, who made his mark in the Royal Engineers team, has lately been playing for Everton. He since transferred to Chester for better pay.

November 21, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton league team pay their annual visit to Wolverhampton this afternoon, where it will be remembered they defeated the Wanderers last season by a goal to nil. How will Everton shape today? Is the somewhat anxious interrogation. The “Wolves” have been less successful than Everton, and have won but three matches out o 13. These were against Stoke City, Accrington and Notts County –the last two at home –and so Everton have not such powerful men to face as those of previous years at the Molieueax Grounds. The game is sure to be a vigorous one, however, for Wolverhampton Wanderers were always ready for muscular play, and their ill-luck hitherto will cause them to “grid up their lines,” for a special effort to make a forward move. Everton, too, are impressed with the necessary of putting their best foot forward, and with the team –as will be seen below –that has been chosen, a vast improvement on the display seen recently at Preston, Anfield and Darwen, will be confidently expected. At Anfield Everton combination team will of course, be in possession, and will be visited by Wrexham, who are high up in the combination table.
Everton V. Wolverhampton wanderers, Wolverhampton, Kick-off at 2-30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Earp and Mclean, backs; Kelso, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Wyllie, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards.
Everton v. Wrexham, Anfield, Kick-off at 2.45 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Fairbrother and Kent, backs; Kirkwood, Jones, and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.

November 23, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton were bowed down with yet another severe defeat on Saturday, beaten as they were by the Wolverhampton Wanderers by 5 goals to 1; and it seems inevitable that the Evertonians are in for a bad time. There was nothing accidental about the latest disaster, for most certainly the better team won. Everton started very well, and scoring the first goal received that encouragement which generally serves a team to much purpose. Just when Everton were having quite as much of the fight as the Wanderers, however, at a moment when the home team were thrown on the defence, Lochhead persisted in going after the ball, despite the fact that McLean shouted to him that he would take it. Between them they missed it altogether, and a spot was sent in to Jardine, who failed to throw sufficiently clear, and paid the penalty of a keen return striking home. Most of the subsequent goals were the outcome of Jardine’s inability to place the ball at a safe distance, and though he made many smart saves, he was not up to his usual standard of excellence, and must be held responsible if not for the defeat, at least for its decisiveness. Eyewitnesses assert that Williams had more shots to negotiate at Derby County were unable to score. The moral is clear. There were many other flaws in the Everton team, however. The forwards played an improved game. The two outside men were the least satisfactory. Wyllie screwed in well, when he had no one near him, but he will not tackle, and is thus often a source of weakness, whereas Milward is nothing unless he is fearless, but his lost his art of shooting from near the corner. Maxwell possessed and disposed and dispossessed himself of the ball without timidity and with judgement, but he was far too slow in is running for his wing men, and the line could not maintained. Latta was as brilliant and hardworking as ever, and Chadwick came nearer his old form than of late; but it is apparent that until Geary returns –he was linesman on Saturday –the attack will not be class enough to win League matches with consistency. Kirkwood was cool and energetic, but had more than his match in Booth and Devey, and Lochhead gained none of his lost prestige, for he was dodged time after time. Both Earp and McLean contributed bits of good back play, but neither inspired confidence. Mclean was best in tackling, his kicks not being hard enough to be uniformly useful. Earp uses his feet splendidly if he has plenty of room, but he was unstable when the pinch came at close quarters and it is yet problematic whether his inclusion will be to the advancement of his own reputation or that of the club whose cause he has espoused. Kelso, who is suffering from cold, was missed; but if he and Geary, with Williams are impressed into the team, Aston Villa may be discomforted on Saturday next. The “Wolves” plated an even, fast, clever game all through, and in Devey and Topham have two most dangerous forwards.


November 23 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Everton visited the Midlands on Saturday to play Wolverhampton Wanderers. The latter had their best team, who have bben training hard, whilst Eeverton had to call up Lochhead and Kirkwood to fill the positons occupied genarally by Kelso and Robertosn. There were about 7,000 present and the teams were everton: Jardine (J), goal, Earp (E), and McLean (D), backs, Kirkwood (D), Holt (J) (captain) and Lochhead (A), half-backs, Latta (A) , Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A) Chadwick (A), and milward (A), forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rofe, goals, Baught, and Mason, backs; Davies, Allen, and Kinsey half-backs Wyles, Baker, Topham, Devey and Booth forwards.

Everton got well down the left from the kick off, but Baugh interpused and Booth soon header the ball into the visitors quarters. McLean cleared, but the ‘'wolves'' were not yet to be stalled off, and both Earp and Lochhead had to kick hard, the latter over the touch line. Everton came away on the right, and a corner wasconceded. Kinsey now showed up for good tackling, with the result that the Everton backs had to defend. It was time before the half-back could place the visiting forwards on the attack. Maxwell made one or two faulty movers but the wings were playing finely, and Latta sent across to Milward. The latter shot aginst the bar, but Latta was ready, and scored from the rebound. This served as the proverbially red rag and the wolves attacked with spirited. McLean gave a foul, and during the pressure Wykes took advantage of a misunderstanding between McLead and Lochhead and equalised from a short throw by Jardine. Topham ran down from the half line and shot grandly, but Jardine was clean in his save this time. Everton were in trouble several times at this juncture, chiefy from the left. Kinsey, Topham , Devey, and Booth joined in splendid combination, Topham allowing a fine opening to pass away from Booth's centre. Kirkwood was instrumental in shaking off the aggressors, and Everton were going well, but ran off side, and the Wanderers escaped. Jardine stopped a shot, but succumbed to an ensuing scrimmage. Play ruled keen. Both sides attacked, but the home team were more dangerous, and shots very true several times. Whereas Chadwick, at the other end, drove wildly over the goal line. A fine effort by Latta, however latere on nearly took effect. He ran and shot and Milward had got Rose down, but the ball dropped on the bar and rolled behind. The Wolves, continuing to play with dash and system, had the best of the game up to the interval which arrived, however with the Wanderers still leading by 2 goals to 1. The first incident of the second half was in Kirkwood, when down being penalised for holding Booth with his legs but no advantage arose from the free kick, and a nice movement by Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward caused Baugh to concede a corner, when Rose fisted away. The wanderers, it was evident, were playing a winning game. They improved, if anything as the play went on, and attacked in spendid style time after time, relieved with a futile movement by Everton as far as the backs. Several shots were tried and at length after Maxwell had skied over the Wolves bar. Topham ran and shot. Jatdine tried to pick up but Devey rushed in and scored easily. Latta and Wyllie had changed positions, and there was an improvement but after an unimpressive innings. Everton had to take the defence, and a lob by Wyles enabled Topham so shoot hard into Jardine, who saved. Holt came out well, but he was punished soon afterwards for a trip, and from the place kick devey scored. And a neat but of passing across the field gave Devey a further chance which he exercised to the full. The best effort of Everton afterwards was when Chadwick, from Wyliie's screw, tested Rose with a rattling shot without effect. The Wolves finally won by 5 goals to 1- a well earned victory.




November 23 1891

Liverpool mercury

This combination match excited much interst in anfield-road. The visitors were shorthanded davies having missed the train, and thus weakened, Wrexham had no chance of making a good flight. The home attack was strong. Pennell scored three goals, and then was unlucky enough to get injured, being forced to retire. Murray and McMillan also scored, and at the interval Everton had the strong lead of 5 goals to nil. Gordon was effective three times later on and murray adding his mite the welshmen retired badly beaten by 9 goals to nil

Everton team, Williams (R) goals, Fairbrother, Kent (J), backs,Kirkwood (D), Jones (R) and Lochhead (A),half-backs, Gordon (P), Murray (J), Pinnell (A), McMillan (J) Elliott (J) forwards

Played ten won 9 lost 0 draw 1 for 47 against 5 points 19.


November 28, 1891. The Wrexham Advertiser

Played at Anfield, on Saturday, before 3,000 spectators. Wrexham kicked off and were at once dangerous. Chadwick stopped them and returned and Pinnell immediately put the ball through. The point was disallowed for offside, as was also another scored by Everton a few minutes later. Samuel's saved from McMillan and then Kelly and W. Turner did some nice work. From a cross by Elliott, Gordon headed over the bar. A high shot from Kent was mulled by Samuels, and Pinnell rushed the ball and goalkeeper through, thus scoring the first goal for Everton. A corner by Everton which resulted from some good play by Murray and Gordon, was followed by another, which was cleared. A free kick from the home team was well placed, McMillan kicking over the bar. Wrexham played up well. B. Lewis and W. Turner putting in some good work. Directly afterwards, a long shot from Murray scored the second goal for Everton. The game had just been restarted, when Heyes kicked the ball through his own goal, thus scoring the third goal for Everton. Samuels saved well at the expense of a corner, which was cleared, and a shot from R. Jones hit the bar. Another corner from the home team was sent behind. Wrexham worked the ball to the other end, but W. Turner kicked behind. Elliott got past the backs, but shot wide. Williams saved a shot from Lewis, after nice passing by the visiting forwards. A shot by Kelly was well kept out, and then J. Turner handled the ball. W. Turner played well, and the play was for some time around the home goal. Then Gordon and Murray rushed away, centreing, Pinnell shot a fourth goal, the ball hitting the bar and going through. Directly afterwards Pinnell hurt his knee, and had to retire. Samuels saved at the expense of a corner, which was cleared. Another corner followed, and Samuels, mulling the ball, a fifth point was rushed through. B. Lewis worked the ball to the other end and shot. Williams saved, and J. Turner missed a grand chance of scoring by kicking behind. The home left wing went down in grand style, a shot from Elliott hitting the post and going behind. R. Jones shot high over, and Ellis put in some good work. Half-time arrived with the score Everton, 5 goals; Wrexham, nil. After the interval Wrexham got up, and Heyes kicked behind, Williams had to run out to save a shot from Lewis, and directly afterwards he saved a shot from Kelly. At the other end Samuels had kick away, and J. Turner got well along the right. Robertson returned, and a corner resulted for the home team. This was well placed, and Ellis handled in goal. From the free kick the ball appeared to go through without touching anyone, but the referee allowed a goal. Not long afterwards, from a run by Elliott, Murray got the seventh goal for Everton. The ball had only just been again set in motion when Jones sent in a long shot from midfield. Sameuls caught the ball and dropped it, and McMillan immediately kicked through, thus scoring the eight goal for Everton. Gordon ran the ball nearly the length of the field, but finally shot outside. A free kick for Wrexham near the home goal was well placed, but was finally sent behind. Murray shot the ninth goal for Everton. J. Turner worked hard, but Chadwick cleared. Two corners for Everton were cleared, and then Wrexham looked dangerous, but the ball was finally sent wide. Lea put in some good work, and Samuels saved two shots in quick succession. W. Turner shot behind after Lea had kicked well, and the same player shot wide directly afterwards. Just before time Wrexham gained a corner, which was cleared, and the final result was –Everton, 9 goals; Wrexham nil. The following were the teams; Wrexham; Samuels, goal; Ellis and R. Roberts, backs; Williams, Heyes, and Lea, half-backs; W. Turner, B. Lewis, and J. Turner, and G. Kelly, forwards. Everton; Williams, goal; Hope-Robertson and A. Chadwick, backs; Collins, R. Jones and Kent, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards. Referee. Mr. R.E. Lythgoe, Liverpool.


November 28, 1891. The Liverpool Mercury

Interest locally in the Association game centres at Anfield-road this afternoon, where Everton, who have been away during the two previous weeks, with disastrous results, at Darwen and Wolverhampton, will join issue with Aston Villa –the most improved club in the League. In 1890 Aston Villa finished in the last four with 19 points, and did seen worse last year, scoring then 18; but now, though only having played twelve matches, they are practically “top sawyers” with 18 points. This is a great advance, and it is evident that Everton have a formidable task before them if they have generally achieved hitherto at Anfield-defeat Aston Villa unequivocally, Everton will again have an altered team from that of last week, as Williams has been nominated for goal, and Kelso and Robertson, if well enough, will return to their positions as wing half-backs. Otherwise the team is the same as that which played at Wolverhampton. Earp will make his first appearance in the League jersey at home; whilst the forwards, who are at times were clever last Saturday, should improve on acquaintance.

Everton V. Aston Villa, Anfield, Kick-off at 2-30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Earp and Mclean, backs; Kelso, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Wyllie, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Buxton, Buxton, Kick-off at 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Smalley, goal; A. Chadwick and Collins, backs; Kirkwood, Jones, and Lochhead, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillian and Elliott, forwards.


Everton hit woodwork four times before chadwick equaliser of the bar in the second half.

November 30 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Everton in playing Aston Villa at Anfield on Saturday completed just half their league engagements, and, though winning are still on the wrong side, having lost one more than they have won, but as eight of the remaing 13 are at home they may yet finish in a forward position. The meeting on Saturday was a momentous one, but owing to the miserable weather the attendance fell some thousands short of the usual number, about 8,000 being present.. kelso and Geary were again absent and Aston Villa were without Cox, Baird taking his place. The teams were:- Everton, Williams (R), goal, Earp (E), and Collins (J), backs, McLean (D), Holt (J),(captain), and Robertson (H) half-backs, Latta (A), Wyllie (T), Maxwell (A), Chadwick (E), and Milward (A), forwards. Aston Villa, Hinchley, goal, Evans and Baird backs; Brown, Cowan, and Campbell (G), half-backs; Athersmith, Dickson, Devey, Hodgetts, and Campell (L) forwards.

Aston Villa got away from Everton's kick-off, but Earp arrested their progess on the left wing, and Everton soon gave evidence that they were in a business-like, sprightly, and determined frame of mind. They attacked very hard and in good syles, which early raised plenty of enthusiasm, but Milward from a pass by Maxwell, shot wide, and all the good play went for nothing. Keeping well up, more shots were essayed by Everton, a likely one from Robertson passing on the wrong side of near post. Aston Villa broke away in loose formation once or twice without becoming very troublesome, and Everton took up the parable again, to once more find the visitors' defence equal to all the good shies. It was marvellous how near Aston Villa were being beaten, and always escaping by the narrowest shave. A corner was given and from this the visitors made a fast movement, wound up by Hodgetts with a free course, scoring from the left. Williams misjudged the direction of the shot, and whilst he went to the near end the ball passed through at the farther end. The game was now ten minutes old, and Everton had all the play and Aston Villa had monopolished the luck. The home team seemed little put about at this early reverse, and took up the attack in a finished and determined manner, but were still doomed to disapponitment shoot they never so accurately. Latta and Wyliie made two especially fine shots but Hitchley was safe. The Everton left wing worked like Trojans, bent on regaining some of their lost prestige but they found Evans a most powerful and capable man. Play then went on the right, and Wyllie tried another fair aim. It was long here Aston Villa could relieve their defence; but even then they could not sustain operations in Everton quarters, and after Dickson had header narrowly over the bar, play returned to the other end, where more hard lines were experienced by the home team, Wylies hitting and Chadwick skimming the bar. Aston Villa enjoying such immunity, next laid strong siege on goal, and Willams stopped a raspong shot from Athersmith. In the renewed attack Holt headed a corner, and Dickson shot low shortly following, Williams picking up the ball off the ground very smartly and risking another corner. Everton went away at the lead of Milward and Chadwick, and a protracted bombardment intervened up to the interval, both wings getting in keen shots. Maxwell too, though slow in comparison, put in useful work, but the defence held out. On resuming McLean gave hands and G Campbell placed well into goal, but Collins whipped up and cleared with a well-judged kick to the right wingman, who harassed Baird and forced him concede a corner. Milward was dissappointed in a fine shot, the ball striking the bar. Wyllie next shot well, and then McLean tested hinchley with a swift one, Chadwick banged in against the post., and the Villa defenders certainly had a most trying time of it. Amid great enthusiasm Everton returned time after time, and a length McLean accidentally from a mis-kick gave Chadwick possession, and he straightway shot hard, the ball touching the bar, in its passgae through. Great cheering signalled the fact that Everton's good play had at length been reward. Latta and Chadwick next shot too high. Earp at last had some work to do in arresting the left wing, which he did well, and on Hodgetts returning, he again found Earp safe. Latta soon got near enough to shhot hard, but without success. Chadwick also went close-a disappointed he atoned for a minute later by scoring from a straight aim. Hogetts Devey, and Athersmith joined in nice passing, but Collins rendered the movement, nugatory. Maxwell came though, and Chadick centreing , Latta strengthened the position of the Everton by scoring the third goal. Williams once fisted away from Aston Villa left, but subsequently Everton attacked with persistencey, and Wyllie and Maxwell scoring the home team won handsomely by 5 goals to 1.




November 30 1891

This return match was played at Buxton on Saturday the prevous game having resulted in a draw, neither side scoring. The weather was unpropitious, but play was lively, and the Everton forwards combining well had scored three times with a quarter of an hour. Two more following, before the interval arraved. The scond half was more even, asnd finally everton won by 7 goals to 1

Everton team, Smalley (R), goal, Chadwick (A), and Collins (J),backs Kirkwood (D), Jones (R), and Lochhead (A), half-backs Gordon (p), Pinnell (A), McMillan (J), Elliott (J) forwards

Play 11, won 10 lost 0 draw 1, for 54 against 6, points 21



November 30 1891

The Liverpool mercury

Everton ralled womderfully on Saturday, and gave their supporters a better game than the most sanguine dared to even hope for, much less expect. The ease with which thy held the upper hand over Aston Villa came as an agreeable surprise after what had happened at Preston, Darwin, and Wolverhampton. Everton were still without Kelso,, and Geary, and were consequently not at their strongest, but the display was high class-everything seemed orderly, where spectators had grown accustonied to witness chaos. And them improved work was done when opposed to Aston Villa, who had previously beaten, away from Perry Barr, Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, and Darwin, and who have thus hitherto played almost as strongly when paying visits as at home. But on Saturday they were almost continuously thrown on the defensive. They certainly scored the opening goal, but this was from a surprise brealaway, a brilliant spurt in which Hodgetts found he had the goal at his mercy, and took advantage very smartly of a chance which never occurred again. Everton were repeatedly firing away at goal, but could not score up to the interval. It was not that the shooting was badly done- it was about the best seen this season. but luck went dead against the home team and the escape of the Aston Villa goal were simply marvellous. The second half was a repetition of the first, so far as the tendency of play went. Such was the pressure however, that the force of resistance was sure to yield to the impact, and Chadwick drew his club up level, and then made the position more sure by again scoring. And these two goals came from the hitherio ill-starred Everton left wing. Latta, Wyllie, and Maxwell contributed their mites, and Aston Villa had to accept their heaviest defeat this season. they have always returned from Liverpool in connection with the league a beaten team-in 1888 by 2 to 0: in 1889, by 7 to 0 and again in 1890 by 5 goals to 0. The quality of the latest success is substantial, but contrary to Everton's recent experience, the score rather underrates the inerits of the two teams. With the exception of Hodgett and Devey, the Villa forwards were weak, and there was accordingly not much combination. Their half-backs were no better, but Evans, late of Bootle, played spendidly and Hinchley made many smart saves. The Everton defence was not found much employment. Williams once misjudged Hodgetts' intention but no one would have stopped the shot perhaps. Collins was smart in front of goal; Robertson,, Holt, and McLean were very successful at half-backs and it was greatly owing to the accurate passes of the two former that the Everton forwards were able to shine so brightly. Maxwell came out of the shell, and, with improved health, will be of great service, the left wing were themselves again, and Latta and Wyllie were always a ferror of G, Campbell and Baird. Wyllie tackled stoutly, and kept well in touch with Latta, who seems at his best just now, and this right wing should become recognised one. After Saturday's display, Ewood Park should be the scene of another much need Everton success. Meanwhile Everton League will play Southport Central. This will be played on the Everton ground Anfield on december 2, the kick-off being at 2-30. The following team has been selected to play for Everon. Williams, goal, Fairbrother and Howarth (late of Preston north end) backs Kirkwood, Holt (captain0, and Robinson, half-backs, Gordon, Wyllie, Maxweell, Chadwick and Milward forwards.