April 1894

April 2 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
County Palatine League
The first match in this competition between these clubs took place on Saturday at Bury. Chadwick was absent through having suffered an injury on Monday last whilst Bury were without Holt and Jobson. The teams were:- Everton:- Jardine, goal, Kelso, and Howarth (captain) backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta Hartley Southworth, Murray, and Geary, forwards. Bury:- Lowe goal, Gillespie, and Barbour, backs, Allsopp, Clegg, and Ross, half-backs, Wyllie, Spence, Skea, Calvert, and Plant forwards. Bury kicked off facing the sun, but a shot from Plant caused Jardine to gave a corner. Wyllie forced another from Howarth, and then Southworth dribbled away. He was pulled up by Barbour, and a corner was conceded, which like-wise proved fruitless. Murray shot hard, but Lowe saved, and fine exchange between Ross and Kelso were cheered. Everton had slightly the best of it Murray hitting the bar with a fine shot. Fifteen minutes from the start Spence was injured, and had to be carried off the field, and he only resumed later on. A grand shot from Hartley was just diverted by Barbour, and Jardine also saved again. Ross stopped Latta and Hartley several times, and Jardine saved a beauty from Calvert. Everton had two corners as the result of severe pressure, Lowe saving magnificently. Bury attacked, and Skea put the ball up, Wyllie giving the final touch to a rush, and Bury crossed over to the good. Resuming, the home side got away, and Skea improved the prospects of his side by scoring cleverly from Wyllie's pass. Holt was then winded, but continued play, and Latta obtained a really fine goal for Everton. Bury were very aggressive sending in repeated shots and from a free kick Skea haeded a third and Wyllie added a fourth goal. Southworth left injured, and did not resume. The vistors played pluckily with ten minute, and three minutes from time Hartley scored. Result Bury 4 goals; Everton 2.

April 3 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
Liverpool senior cup
This match is the first round of the Liverpool and district Cup was played at Goodison Park last evening. The opening stages of play were in favour of Everton, and after Hartley had taken the ball well down, McMillan had a chance and opened the scoring account about five minutes from the start. On resuming the Central forwards played nicel together. D McLaren putting in some magnificent tackling and keeping his men well ahead. Shadbolt beat Williams with a well directed shot and drew up level. Following some good combination between Hasting and Bryon the home defence had a troublesome-time. At length Parry cleared with a long kick, and McMillan and Elliott were once again in evidence. Hartley sent in a capital shot, which was well met by Gee, and after Hastings had defeated Reay,, McCabe lost a good opportunity by weak shooting again at attacking Hartley competely defeated Gee, and placing his side ahead. On restarting the Central forwards worked the ball nicely but were weak at the final efforts. McMillan and Elliott took the ball well down,, and a moment later Hartley scored a penalty goal with a low swift shot. Almost immediately following McMillan sent in a beauty, which narrowly missed the mark. The interval now arrived leaving Everton with a substanitial lead of 3 goals to 1. oN resuming the Central goal was heavily besieged, but Fairhurst and Smith proved capable defenders. On again returning to attack Hartley sent in a stringing shot, which Gee cleverly saved, his effort bring forth a loud burst of applause. The visiting halves D McLaren especially, made many opening for their forwards, but the passing was somewhat erractic. A couple of corners in quick succession fell to the Evertonians, but these were safely diaposed of though for the next few minutes the Southport backs had a hard task in stopping the strong attacks from the home van. Parry put in a couple of well-directed kicks towards Gee's charge, but the spendid tackling of the McLarens and Smith was all that could be desired. Bryon, McCabe and Shadbolt put in some pretty bits of passing, but they could not make much headway against the home defence. Again attacking a heavy siege was raised round the Central goalmouth, and on the ball coming out Murray drove it through the rock and past Gee, registered goal no 4. On restarting Bryon had an easy chance to score, but failed and at the other end Elliott just shaved the post. Nothing further was done, and Everton won easily by 4 goals to 1. Teams; Everton:- Williams, goal, Lindsay, and Parry, backs, Walker, Jones and Coyle half-backs, Reay Murray, Hartley McMillan and Elliott, Southport Central:- Gee, goal, Fairhurst, and Smith, backs, McLaren, McCullum, and D McLaren, half-backs, Hasting Bryon, McCabe, Shadbolt, and Whattaker forwards. Attendance 3,000

EVERTON 6 STOKE CITY 2 (game 151)
April 9 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
The last League match of the season at Goodison Park took place on Saturday. Neither team was fully represented. Everton being without Holt,, and Chadwick, who were playing for England against Scotland in the International match at Glasgow. Southworth suffering from injury, yet also an absentee. Stoke were without Clare, who was also in Scotland halping England. The teams lined up as follows :- Everton, Williams, goal, Howarth (captain), and Parry, backs, Kelso Boyle, and Stewart half-backs, Latta Hartley, Geary, McMillan, and Milward forwards. Stoke City:- Rowley, goal, Foster, and Eccles,, backs, Christle, Dowds, and Brodie half-backs, Dickson, Naughton, Robertson, McReddie, and Scholfield, forwards. There would be about 13,000 specatators present when geary kicked of against a slight breeze. Latta and Hartley were the first to make play, but Foster cleared. Howarth returned, and Latta receiving, passed across to Geary who shot in Rowley ran out to save, but slipped, and McMillan put the ball into the net before the custodian could recover himself. Geary and Hartley had shies at Rowley's charge both of which the latter cleared finely. Everton still continued to press, and Latta headed a second goal, after Rowley had saved shots from Geary amd McMillan. Stoke by the aid of their right wing, made play towards Williams charge but a foul against Dickson relieved. A fine passing movement by the Everton left wing ended in Hartley scoring a third goal, from a pass by Milward. The game continued greatly in Everton's favour Latta just missing, Stewart following with a long shot which skimmed the crossbar. Play was next transferred to the Everton half, when Naughton after a short run, got pass Parry, but his final shot went outside. From the goal kick Naughton pounced on the ball and sent it across to Schofield, who levelled a shot close to the post which Williams failed to stop. A foul for hands against Stoke was well placed by Parry, and Geary getting the ball sent in a strong shot, striking the upright. From the corner taken by Latta, who placed nicely, Geary headed through a fourth goal. A throw in by Stewart put the Everton left wing in evidence, and the ball was sent across the goal mouth by Milward, When Latta met it, and beat Rowley easily, bring the Everton record up to five goals. A moment later, Kelso drove in strongly from long range which though stopped by Rowley bothered him considerably. Then came a division. A pass by McReddie was taken by Schofield, who beat Kelso and Howarth in a race, and passed to Dickson, who shot Schofield whipping in and putting on the finishing touch of Stoke's second goal. A foul against Boyle close in was cleared by Kelso who sent to midfield where the play hovered for some time, the defence of both sides being good. A nice low shot by Schofield was only just saved by Williams at the expense of a fruitless corner, and as a set off a throw in by Stewart enabled Milward to run down, his parting shot striking the side of the net. A long shot by Kelso was cleared by Dowds, who in doing so conceded a corner. Play for some minutes was confined round about Rowley's charge, but he held his goal safe until Stoke broke away, and Dickson compelled Williams to gave a corner which was headed over the bar, and half-time arrived with the score, Everton 5 goals Stoke 2. Robertson restarted, and Geary pounced on the ball, but was tackled by Dowds, who sent to his forwards, Nayghton standing over the line. After some exchanges by the backs, Latta got the ball, but shot to high. Parry next stopped a raid by the Stoke's forwards and passed to McMillan, who tipped to Milward the latter screwing across the goal mouth. A free kick against Stoke was well placed by Kelso, McMillan just missing a good chance thought Eccles running in and clearing. Two shots in quick succession, however, were sent in to Rowley, who cleared, the latter in the expense of a barron corner. Stoke now conmenced to have the best of matters, keeping the home defence will employed. Parry and Howarth showed up well. the home team got into a good stride after a while and some nice passing by the forwards ended in Geary notching the sixth goal for Everton, Rowley not attempting to save. Williams was next called upon to clear two shots, which he did satisfactorily. Milward from midfield, ran the ball down and shot well, skimming the bar, though charged down by Foster-an effort deserving of a better fate. Play was now kept well in the Stoke half, Milward sent in another good shot shot which caused Foster to give a corner. Stoke next paid a visit to Williams, who fisted out a shot from Naughton, and Everton were soon swarming round Rowley, who held his charge from further damage till the whistle blew, Everton avenging prior defeat by so easy winning by 6 goals to 2.

April 9 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
This match was played at Newtown. Everton pressed from the start, and in the first half succeeded in scoring three goals, Walker, Murray, and Williams, shooting successfully. In nthe second portion the game was of a much more even description, but just before the finish Williams scored a fourth goal. Another followed for Everton, and the game end :- Everton 5 goals Netown nil. Everton team:- Jardine, goal, Lindsay, and Arridge, backs, Walker, Jones,,and coyle, half-backs, Reay, Murray,, Williams (w), Storrier, ansd Elliott, forwards.

Holt and Chadwick played for England, Southworth was injured on the morning of the match and Smith took his place, England drew 2-2 with Scotland at Celtic Park in front of 30,000

April 9, 1894. Birmingham Daily Post
It rarely happens that goals are so cheap in league matches as they were in the first half of the game at Goodison Park on Saturday. The absence of Clare and Underwood may partly explain the woeful collapse of the Stoke defence, but when it is also remembered that the Everton front rank was disorganised, owing to substitutes having to be found for Southworth, Chadwick and Bell, the rate of scoring becomes truly remarkable. Within the first three or four minutes; Everton scored twice, and only for some exceptionally fine goalkeeping on the part of Rowley the score, even in that short space of time, would have been much heavier. Whilst Everton were attacking during the greater part of the game, Stoke only broke away in spasmodic rushes, but then they were nearly always dangerous. This was due quite as much to the weakness of the Everton defence as to the strength of the Stoke attack. Schofield alone of the visitors upheld his reputation and the ease with which he outmanurnvred and outpaced the old North Ender Howarth, was a treat to witness. Everton clearly caught their opponents on one of their “off” days, and they made no mistake about taking full advantage of the opportunity and thus avenging their defeat in the England Cup tie. At the same time it is only fair to state that there was a suspicion of offside about two of the Everton goals.

April 10, 1894. Birmingham Daily Post
At Liverpool. Bury kicked off, and the opening exchanges were even. Then Everton pressed strongly, and Hartley scored the first goal. Several corners fell to Everton, but Bury played a strong defensive game, and at the interval were only a goal in arrear. Afterwards the Bury citadel had marvellous escapes, and at last Geary scored and Boyle followed. Result Everton 3 goals, Bury 0.

April 10 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
County Palatine League
These clubs met in their return engagement in the County Palatine League, at Goodison Park last evening. Beautiful weather favouring the event to which special interst attached, as a week ago Bury were successful against Everton by four goals to 2. Skea kick off on behalf of Bury, and the opening exchanges were even. A free kick thus followed to Everton near the penalty line, but the danger was cleared,, and Bury rushed away, onlt to find Parry and Kelso safe. A moment later the visting forwards initated a fine passing movement, which pressented danger to the Everton goal until Wyllies shot wide of the upright. The home side, principully by good play on the part of Stewart and Boyle, were next conspiciouous and succeeded to forcing a corner. Chadwick placed in admirable, but Barbour cleared the impending danger. Everton returned and after Lowe had cleared a header from Hartley, Boyle put over fron a fast shot. Skea was conspicious from the kick out, and a rather warm visit was paid to the Everton goal, Parry agin being to the fore with capital defensive tactics. Now the visitors goal experienced a narrow escape from a rattling shot by Geary Stewart and Milward. This mattered little, however, as a moment later Chadwick centred, and Hartley banged the ball past Lowe. The play following was of an even character, both ends being visted in rapid succession, but without result although Hartley snt in a rasping shot that Lowe caught and threw away. Then Chadwick tried a long straight aim, which Gillespie repelled at the expense of a corner which proved futile. The Bury goal was constantly besieged up to the interval but without the attack, and at Half-time Everton were leading by a goal to nil. Upon resuming the attendance had reached about 3,000. Play open strongly, the Everton left doing good work whilst Parry and Kelso showed fine defences. Then Latta got away on the right, and shooting almost from the corner hit the crossbar, a corner being the result. This proved adventageous to the Evertonians, as Geary beat Lowe for the second time. This reverse nettled the Bury men, and Wyllie made a fine effort put with no effect. A run down by the Evertonians was checked by Gillespie, and Plant shot wide at the other end. Play was in favour of the home side,, and the Bury goal had several narrow escapes. Chadwick made a grand run down the left, taking the ball well within shooting distance when he took aim, but the ball hit the post and rebounded out of play. Bury next took a turn, and Williams had to clear a grand shot, following which Latta at the opponent end headed over. A moment later, Boyle placed a third to the home account Lowe making no attempt to save. Nothing further was done and Everton won by 3 goals to nil. Teams; Everton:- Williams goal, Kelso, and Parry, half-backs, Walker, Boyle, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta (captain) Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards, Bury:- Lowe, goal, Barbour, and Gillespie, backs, Ross, Jobson, and Clegg half-backs, Plant, Calvert, Skea, Allsopp, and Wyllies, forwards.

April 10 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
J Murray sent off
These teams played their return combination match on Wrexham Racecourse yesterday afternoon. The weather was fine and there was a fair attendance. Everton were strongly presented and Wrexham had also a fairly good, team. Playing with a strong breeze in their favour. Everton started to press, and after about a quarter of an hour's play McMillan scored for them. Five minutes afterwards by means of a nice screw shot Lewis equalised. Reay scored a second for Everton, and a third was obtained from a free kick. This was the position of affairs at half-time. After changing ends Wrexham scored their second goal from a free kick, soon afterwards Murray was ordered off the field for foul play, and Wrexham redouble the exertions from a corner they equalised amid great excitement. Nothing else was scored on either side and the game ended in a draw of 3 goals each.

April 12 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
County Palatine League
This county Palatine League fixture was fulfilled last evening at Bolton, but the hour of the kick-off being inconvenient fot operations, the attendance was only small. Teams were not at fullstrength, the Wanderers trying a new prominent local junior and also playing from Bentley from the first team. Everton played with the breeze at the commencement, and at first pressed, but the Wanderers combined well, scoring one before the interval. At half-time the Wanderers led by a goal to nil. On resuming Bolton almost incessantly pressed the League combination team, whose backs played vigorously. Bolton shot well ultimately winning by 5 goals to nil. Everton team:- Jardine, goal, Lindsay, and Arridge, backs, Walker,Jones and Coyle half-backs, Reay,, Murray, Williams (w) McMillan, and Elliott (j), forwards.

April 16 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Senior cup Final
Everton made another successful visit to Manchester on Saturday in connection with the Countycup competition. When there before they defeated Blackburn Rovers by four goals to three, and victory qualified them for the final tie. This was with Bolton Wanderers at Ardwick but the attendance was only about 8,000-a very different crowd to what would have been had the match been played at Goodison Park, as desired Both clubs were well represented though Southworth had to again stand down owing to his injured leg, the teams being as follows :- Wanderers:- Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville and Jones,, backs, Weir, Hughes and Turner, half-backs, Tannahill, Willock, Cassidy, Ferguson and Bentley, forward. Everton:- Williams, goal, Kelso, and Howarth (captain), Boyle, Holt and Stewart, half-backs, Latta Hartley, Geary, Chadwick,, and Milward, forwards. Referee Mr Lewis (Blackburn) Linesmen Mr Ormerod, (Acrrington), and Mr Sinclair (Manchester).

The Wanderers won the toss of course, took adavantage of the wind,, but soon after the start the sun came out and shone in their eyes thus neutralising the advantage somewhat. Bolton opened the attack on the left, when Holt stemmed the advance and Kelso cleared. Everton went away very strongly, an effort by Geary forcing the concession of the first corner kick, which was placed behind by Latta. Everton quickly returned, but could not get in a likely shot. The Wanderers replied gamely on the left, only to find Kelso clear finely. Then hands were given against Geary, a doubtful ruling but the outcome was in the ball going harmlessly over the goalline. For a few minutes following Everton had the best of the play and severely taxed the resources of the Wanderers defence. Latta was prominent in first placing nicely from a corner, and in then shooting narrowly outside from long range. Both attacks deserved better success than they met with. Real danger however, threatened Everton, as Hughes passed to Ferguson who gave to Bentley a chance and he shot well, Williams saving near the post very smartly. In response Chadwick and Milward moved along but the latter centre was misjudged by Geary who shot at random. Sutcliffe finally ran out and cleared. It was next Bolton turn and they had two good shots, one by Ferguson being especially good. This was a mere flash, however, and the centre of interst was Sutcliffe charge which from a pass by Geary, was placed in jeopardy by Hartley who just topped the bar. Again Stewart passed up to Geary, who fed the right wing judiciously when Latta caused Sutcliffe to use his fist. In a little while Milward was put in possession and was narrowing for goal when the whistle sounded and indicated that he was offside at the moment of taking the pass. Kelso was next in evidence in breaking up a raid whilst Holt put in some fine play yet the Wanderers could not be dislodged until Ferguson had shot and Williams saved well. Latta Soon had a shin but a back stopped the ball while a return shot by Latta went too high. Kelso headed beautifully a little later, and Holt went through the opposing half-backs with the result that Sutcliffe had an anxious time. The defence was sound however, as it was a renewed attmpt by Everton corner being of no avail. The run of play, which was fast, favoured the Liverpool team, who were in good combination, but the shooting was not permitted to become too deadly. The Wanderers growing impatient at their lack of success with the help of the wind brightened up considerably for a desperate effort and Though the defence of Howarth and Kelso was excellent, Ferguson at length managed to get in an effective shot, Williams succumbling to a quick return. This occurred eleven minutes from the interval. Ferguson followed up with a fine ashot, and Bolton pressed. It was in vain, However, and Everton were the more aggressive up to the interval without altering the score. On resuming Tannahill had the first shot but Kelso cleared and Everton replied on the right with no better success. The Wanderers went to the face of goal again but could not get in a shot this time and Everton became the much stronger team, it often looked that they would score, and how they did not was marvellous. At last however, Sutcliffe failed at a low shot by Chadwick. This took all the heart out of the Boltonians who were more or less on the defencein the remaining play, during, which Hartley scored easily, and competed a victory for Everton by 2 goals to 1. On arriving in Liverpool, the Everton team, directors, and a few friends reported to the Alexandra Hotel where an hours enjoyment was partcipated in of a congratuated character. The toast of the health of the team and to the directots of the Everton club.

April 16 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
County Palatine League
These teams met at Goodison Park on Saturday to decided the return County palatine league match between these teams. About 3,000 specatators were present. Everton won with great eases by 8 goals to nil scoring four times in each half.

April 16 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
Manchester was the seen of the Lancashire cup competition between Everton and Bolton Wanderers which took place at the ground of the Ardwick club. It cannot be said that either contest excited the Mancunians much for at the final tie the attendance would scarely 8,000. Doubtless the game was looked upon at a foregone conclusion for Everton and, if this was so, anticipations were realised though the score of two goals to one, does not prophecy of one-sidedeness. For a cup tie it was a very calmly contested match, sparkling with good points from either side, with the play pretty evenly balanced for the first hour. Then Everton superior staying power told the tale and the issue never afterwards seemed in doubt, for the winners were continually pressing during the last 30 minutes and that they did not score more goals was due, in the first instance, to the cool and brilliant play of Sutcliffe in goal and in, a secondary degree, to some loose shooting by the Everton forwards. It is admitted on all sides that Everton thoughly deserved their victory, and especially are they congratulated on having won the county cup by most skilful and fair football. It is the reward of a determined effort to bring their undoubted resource indiivdully and collectively into full play and of an enthusisum that boded well for their opponents. It is not necessary to criticise the players. There was no department that was conspicuous over another-no man that shone so brightly side by side with his comrades. The goalkeeping was capital, the back play of Howarth and Kelso was equal to anything that had been achived before by these two ex-prestonians. Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, were repeatedly scoring off their rivals, and the combination of Latta, Hartley, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward was more than the Wanderers half-backs could grapple with, but the shooting might have been more accurate. The loser commenced very promsingly with the help of the wind, and perhaps deserved their lead of a goal to nil at the interval, but soon afterwards particularly when Chadwick made the score even they lost confidence and energy the forwards becoming utterly disorganised,, and in one or two instance excited. Jones and Sommerville had a most trying time of it in the second half, and never flagged but they could not prevent shots of varying quality being directed goalwards. As has been emphiasised the aim were not unformly accurate but there were sufficient straight ones to gauge the great ability of Sutcliffe, and to confirm the chance of the management committee of the League in placing him in goal next Saturday against the Scotch Leaguers. The Everton should at length become Lancashire cupholders has given great satisfactory in the Everton camp and naturally so. The honour comes most opportunely, too, and will be all the more appeciated since the higher trophise of the League and the National cup competition had been denied. The season can now be described as a success and one of the three most coveted cups at a time is sufficient. Everton also hold the Combination cup it is true, and may yet regain the Liverpool trophy but there are but secondary prises compared with the one most recently won. Everton have done well, too latterly in the League, which has been uphill work, and if they can only win to-day-and why should they not ? they will finish sixth. And yet a couple of months back they were perilously near being in the last three.

April 17 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
These teams met at Bolton last evening to decide their return Leahue match, which was the last of the series so far as Everton were concerned. Only a few people were present, the weather being unpropitious. Teams; Everton:- Williams goal, Howarth (captain) and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart half-backs, Reay (debut), Latta, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Bolton Wamderers:- Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Jones backs Weir, Hughes, and Ferguson half-backs, Tannahill, Willocks, Cassidy, ‘'Campbell'' and Bentley, forwards. The ground was of course, heavy, but Everton were the first to press, and after Chadwick had led up an attack Reay soon got in an excellent shot from a slanting directions, and placed his side ahead in the first few minutes. Tannahill had a fine chance shortly afterwards but went very wide of the mark and Everton pressed hard for a time without further success. A movement on the Bolton left caused a diversion but Holt was ready, and though the Wanderers again returned. Williams attended safely to the shot sent in. holt cleared, and the game once more went in favour of Everton when Latta and Hartley had very likely shots as the finishing touches so good general play, though it was all to no purpose. The Wanderers gained a free kick in the Everton half and Jones placed with judgement to the left, but Stewart cleared grandly, and Everton again pressed to no pupose. The home team were evidently terribly in earnest. They made fair progess on the right, but a bad stroke by Cassidy spoiled the attempt. Milward was next on the ball, but was forced to kick out, and then Parry conceded a corner of no value. Hartley forced his way though by sheer physical force, and gave Chadwick, who whipped in with a rattling shot, which deserved better sussess than it met with. After Cassidy had fouled, the Wanderers went down on the left when a free kick for hands was conceded them, which Jones placed badly over the goal. A free kick also fell to Everton near in, when Sutcliffe saved grandly from Boyle. Generally the play was pretty even about this time. The Wanderers now and again got down to goal, but could not command the requisite amount of combination to nonplus the Everton defence, and half time arrived with Everton leading by one goal to nil. Only a short interval was indulged in, as the light was bad. On resuming the Wanderers went of with quste, and attacked very strongly and presistently, but Williams saved magnificently from Hughes and Willocks while some further hot raids were safely attended to by those whose duty was to defend the goalkeeper. This was apparently an exteme effort by Bolton, and their friends were disappotated that there was no flaw to be found in the Everton defence. Reay headed a raid or two, but was not so accurate in his centres with the result that Sutcliffe was not to be called upon. The Wanderers continued to play with much desperation, as was only natural, since the issue would be a very serious one with them, as a defeat meant a danger of having to play in the League test match. Their pluck was much to be commended and they certainly kept pegging away heroicall. Shots poured in often, but Howarth especially was sound though all his colleagues joined in sterling defence. A slight injury to Holt caused some delay, and upon restarting Everton had a short turn as attack., though not of a menacing character, and again they had to defend stoutly Howarth being conspicuous. By way of change Chadwick had a very fair aim, and them helped Latta, who went wide. The Wanderers renewed the attack on the right, and put in fine shots, but Williams was safe in the extreme. The attack was certainly clever on the part of the home team, but unfortunately for their success they found the Everton defenders in their most reliable mood. Play became somewhat open towards the close, but defence was too good on each side, an exciting game ended-Everton 1 goal; Bolton Wanderers nil.

APRIL 17, 1894. Birmingham Daily Post
This important League match was played at Bolton, in wet weather, last night, before 1,000 spectators. Reay scored in four minutes for Everton, who held a light advantage. Sutcliffe kept goal in splendid style, and Sommerville and Jones did capital work. A new Scotch forward, played by the Wanderers, showed promising form. The Wanderers improved, and had hard line in not scoring. Everton led at the interval by 1 goal. On resuming the Wanderers attacked, but Everton packed their goal. The visitors were completely overplayed, but the grand defence kept their charge intact. Everton only got away occasionally, and corner after corner fell to the Wanderers. Williams brought off some capital saves, and through Holt got slightly hurt he was a great advantage to his side. Howarth was in great form. Bolton had vile luck. Final; Everton 1 Wanderers 0.

April 17 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
The reserves teams of these clubs met at Goodison Park last evening there being only a moderate attendance of specatators. The weather was wretched and the ground in a slippery condition, rendering accurate play an impossibility. On Everton kicking off, they quickly took up the pressure, and a series of attacks were made on the Newton Heath goal. The backs defended well for a short time, and then Murray opened the Everton scoring account, Elliott and Coyle following. Smith had a shy at the opposite end, but Jackson caught and threw away. Everton again attack strongly and before half-time Storrier and Williams each second, leaving Everton leaders at the interval by 5 goals to nil. Newton Heath restarted, but their goal was again the scene of operations, the custodian having to save on several occasions. A corner was conceded to Everton, but Walker shot outside, the same player having hard lines with a fine shot a moment later, Central play followed and then the Heathens broke away and scored their first point, from a pass from the right. Following this a fierce bombardment took place of the visors goal, which was captured again by Williams, after Douglas had saved several times in rapid succession. Storrier put on the seventh point, and Everton won by 7 goals to 1.

April 18 1894. The Liverpool mercury
The Liverpool senior cup semi-final
The semi-fianl cup tie between these teams took place last evening at the Chester Street ground Birkenhead. About 3,000 specatators assembled a, a large number hailing from Liverpool. Everton won the toss and played with the wind, but owing to the alertness of their opponents were unable to score before half-time. Immediately on resuming Everton opened the account but at once Chester equalised and it appeared as though the game was to be fiecely contested. Everton however, played up vigorcously, and having some what the best of luck, scored 4 other goals. The final result was Everton 5 goals; Chester 1.

April 20 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
This match was played at Goodison Park last evening in fine weather. The proceeds were in aid of ‘'Danny'' Kirkwood. The old Evertonian and Caledonian player who, it will be remembered, had the misfortune to break his leg, thus preventing him taking further part in the winter pastime. There would be about 6,000 present and it is expected that the beneficiare will receive a goodly sum from the match. The ‘'Third'' kicked off and opened by attacking. Parry removed the danger, and Latta in company with Hartley took play to the opposite end of the field, where Latta headed wide of the post. A threatening raid was now made by the Scotch men, and Nicholas only saved feeby, but luckily the following shot was sent over the crossbar. A long kick by Parry put his forwards in possession and Latta made a beautiful shot, the ball just toppong the posts. Hot play followed in front of the visitors goal and Wilson saved somewhat luckily from Chadwick, the Scotch goal having an exceedingly narrow escape of being capturned. Parry was as fault at the other end, but Storrier came to the rescue and averted danger. Bowman checked an attack by the Everton left, and then, on returning Wilson saved from Geary. A moment later Chadwick sent across and Latta had no difficulty in notching the first goal for the home side. The Evertonians quickly returned to the attack, only to find Storrier out of his reckoning and then Kelso and Boyle were instrumental in checking a raid on their goal. Not to be denied, however, the Scots dashed back McInnes making an abortive shot at goal. Even play followed and then Chadwick secured at the half-way line, dashed through the Scotch defence, and completely beat Wilson, Hardly had the cheering sudsided and another attack by the Evertonians was again rewarded, Latta heading a beautiful goal from a pass from the left. A moment later Wilson was again defeated by the same player player, whilst Hartley scored only for both to ruled offside. Upon resuming the Everton van dashed off to the Volunteers goal, which was very nearly capturned. Reverse, however, came a moment later Hartley piloting the ball safely past Lindsay. The Scots made a praiseworthy attempt to break through, the Everton backs, but were checked, and capital combination amongst the home forwardsended in the ball being taken to the other end. Here Geary secured and running to within three yards of goal easily placed the ball in the net. An attack by the ‘'Scotts'' deserved better success McInnes aiming against the crossbar with a fast shot. Neat passing by the Volunteers ended in Nicholas smartly fisting away at the expense of a corner, this being rendered futile. The light was now failing rapidly and very few of the players movements could be distinguished. McInnes however, broke through, Nicholas nursing the ball, and Clelland followed Hartley scored again, the seventh accuing immediately afterwards (Geary). Nothing further was done, and Everton left winners by 7 goals to 2. Teams; Everton:- Nicholas, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle Storrier, and Stewart, half-backs, Chadwick, Milward, Geary, Latta (captain), and Hartley forwards. Third Lanark:- Wilson goal, Bowman, and Thompson backs, Blair, Barbor, and Kirkwood, half-backs, Henderson, Clelland, McInnes, Boyd, and Stewart, forwards.

April 23 1894. The Liverpool Courier
County Palatine League
The Everton team journeyed to Accrington on Saturday to play off a paletine League fixture. The weather in Accrington was beautiful but only a spare attendance was on the ground. The teams were as follows:- Everton:- Cain, goal, Howarth (captain) and Parry, half-backs, kelso, Boyle and Coyle half-backs, Milward Storrier, Hartley, Latta, and Murray, half-backs, Accrington:- Whittaker, goal, Ditchfield and Matthews, backs, Pendergast, Chadwick and Shuttleworth half-backs, Gillespie, Duerdin Brown Laurie, and Wilkinson, forwards. Everton kicked off and Accrington at once got possession, Pendergast sending down the left, making Howarth save the citadel by heading the ball. The secene of operations was next removed to Accrington's goal where shot after shot was rained upon Whittaker. Duardin then shone brilliantly by whisking the ball merrily into goal,, forcing Cain to fist out. A foul against Everton gave Accrington somewhat of a chance. Murray had it all his own way for a time, dribbling splendidly and giving his opponents serious trouble. Accrington frequently dashed away, forming in line and actually defeated the backs the ball striking the crossbar with tremendous force. Hartley was cheered for a spendid sprint but was floored when on the point of scoring. Hands being given against Everton, Ditchfield took the kick, and the home citadel again sustained a severe pressure. The game under went a complete change. Everton showing up in nice form Hartley scoring with a beauty. Half-time Everton 1 goal; Accrington nil. On turning round some very fast play ensuer each team covering the ground from end to end in quick ancession. Gillespie sent in a hot shot, which Cain just managed to keep out of goal, Kelso spoiled a rush by Accrington. Milward got his toe to the ball and passed to Storrier, who defeated the Accrington goalkeeper easily with a flying shot. Hartley had a ‘'pot'' at goal which went high over the bar. Howarth saved from Gillespie the ball rolling over the line. Everton gave many instance of their shooting and combination play. Final result Everton 2 goals; Accrington nil.(Holt played for the English league v Scottish league 1-1)

April 23 1894. The Liverpool Courier
Everton kicked off before a very poor attendance of spectators. A short visit was made to the Heathens goal. Felton however, cleared with a long kick and Williams had to save a high shot by Prine. A couple of corners next fell to the home team, but proved fruitless. After Fall had saved from Campbell, Stewart made a good run and passed to Rothwell who easily beat Williams. Scarcely had the game been restrted than a second goal was put on by Mathieson. The vistors broke away and Williams scored an appeal for offside being disegarded, Each end was quickly visited but both teams shot very badly. A rush by Everton enabled thwem to get dangerous, but Hood cleared. They continued to have the best of matters, a shot by McMillan just falling on the net. Half-time- Newton Heath Reserves 2 goals, Everton Combination1. Final Result Everton Combination 2 goals, Newton Heath Reserves , 2 goals.

Everton Team, Williams goal, Chadwick (a), and Arridge backs, Walker, Jones, an other, half-backs, Reay, an other , Williams (w), McMillan, , Elliott forwards.

April 24 1894. The Liverpool Courier
An intersting match between Everton (Lancashire cup holders) and Notts County (English Cup holders) at Goodison Park last evening was spoilt in a measure by the state of the weather rain pooring in torrents at the time the match commenced with the result that there was a very sparse attendance. The teams faced as follows:- Everton:- Cain, goal, Parry, and Arridge backs, Walker, Boyle, and Coyle, half-backs, Latta (captain), Williams (w), Stoorier, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Notts County:- Toone goal, Harper, and Headry backs, Bramley Calderhead, and Shelton half-backs, Watson Donnelly, Logan, Bruce, and Daft, forwards. The opening stages of the game were favourable to Everton and in the first minute Storrier put the the finishing touch to good work by Milward and Chadwick by sending the ball past Toone. The Notts custodian afterwards affected a fine save from Latta, but Everton continued to have much the best of the game, and eventually as the result of a spendid bit of dodging, Chadwick scored a second goal with a grand shot. Play afterwards veered in favour of the home side and visits were paid to the Notts goal. Hendry and Harper both saving. Then the county forwards took a turn and Cain had to fist out from Watson. Following this Everton had a free kick. Boyle placeing the ball through without touching anyone in its transit. Daft was next prominent for Notts but Parry relieved, and Toone saved finely at the other end. Up to half-time the game was evenly contested, the interval arriving with the score two goals to nil in favour of Everton. Upon resuming the home side at once raced away, and Toone had a nasty shot to deal with from the left, following which Storrier sent wide of the posts. At this jucture Hendry was hurt and left the field leaving Notts to finish the battle with ten men. Everton continued the attack, and Toone was troubled, but managed to avail disater although on one occasion he was very nearly defeated. Calderhead dashing up in time to afford relief. The home side however, renewed the attack and at length Williams sent the ball past Toone, but on appeal the referee (Mr t Hulme ) disallowed the goal. The decision aided by Logan and Bruce now took the ball to the other end of the field, and Daft had a shy at Cain, the ball however, going outside the posts. Both sides were at their point, play being even, Latta having retired from the home team. Still the Evertonians continued to have the best of the play, and Chadwick sent in a rattling shot, Toone kicking away just in time to prevent further disaster. A corner however, followed to the home side, this beening sent wide of the upright. Play still continued in front of the County goal, a wild shot from Stoorier going over the crossbar. During the remaining few minutes Notts were pressed, and in the last few minutes Storrier scored again, and Everton won by 3 goals to nil.

Cardigan Observer
April 28, 1894
A crowd estimated at upwards of 25,000 people assembled at Goodison Park , Liverpool, on Saturday to wit- ness the third annual contest between teams selected from the best players assisting the Eogiis » and Scottish League clubs respectively. There was some exciting play at the start, each goal being threatened in turn, but gradually the home side assumed the upper hand, Goodall, Holt, and Reynolds making brilliant attacks. All, however, were Bafely repelled by Naddow, and an attempt to score by VV heldon was also frustrated. After aome even play Goodall, from a pass by Devey, sent the ball into the net, and so scored the first goal for England. Sutcliffe next saved in brilliant style for the home team. and at half-time England led by one goal to none. On resuming, play was even until Devey shot in uneucceesfully, but directly afterwards Blessington passed finely to Oswald, and the latter equalised for Scotland. Both sides played up in brilliant form afierwards, but neither could claim much advantage. All efforts to obtain the lead proved unsuceasfui, and a fine match ended in a draw of one goal each.

April 29 1894. The Liverpool Mercury
This return engagement between these clubs, was played at Goodison Park on Saturday. The state of the elements was all that could be desired and there would be an attaendance, of about 10,000 specatators. The team that the Everton executive placed in the field was not a strong one, but it was considered suffinicient serviceable to account for the Celtic whom it will be remembered, were defeated in Scotland by 4 goals to nil. Geary opened the play, and the initial stages were of a very tame description. The Evertonians took the ball well down, and Milward gave an opening to Southworth, but this was not accepted, and Doyle got in a strong kick, with the result that his forwards got possession and worked their way in Cain's charge. Maddenand Blessington indulged in a pretty short passing movement which befogged the home halves, but when meanarable circstance was reached Lindsay effected a save, and Geary Chadwick and Milward once again were in possession, but there was no defeating Reynolds and Doyle who tackled and kicked with capital judgement. Mally and Kelly were often prominent in breaking up the home attack, but eventually Southworth put in some capital work

And a long, siege was raised round the celtic goal,. Cullies fisted out a clinker from Chadwick, following which Blessington and Madden ran pretty down, the movement resulting in a corner off Howarth. The ball was well placed and Cain had some trouble but eventually he cleared, only to find McLlhenry replying to his effort with a swift low shot, which found its mark. This reverse somewhat effect the Evertonians, who went off at a great pass , Doyle once again checking their course, and placing his forwards in good position. Kelso put in good work and a few moments later the home van were peppering away at Cullen's charge, but dogged ill-luck attended their efforts and from a sudden break away Campbell defeated Cain, thus registering a second goal. On restarting Southworth and Williams worked well together, the latter sending in a good shot, to which Doyle attended, but Chadwick was in readiness and put the ball into the net. From the centre kick it looked odds on Everton pulling up level, but the Celtic forwards eventually got possession and took the ball to the other end Mahon completing the movement with a long range, which Cain failed to negotiate half-time was shortly sfterwards called, with the score- Celtic 3 goals Everton 1. On resuming the Everton forwards got into a good stride, and for some time the Celtic goal was beautyy besieged. Cullen saved repeatedly, and the monotony was at length broken by Doyle, who got a strong kick, an effort which was well supplemented by Maley, who fed the van in good style. Madden and Bleesington in turn levelled shots at Cain, but both were well manipulated. Long range shooting by the Celtic was the order, but some came off, and Geary took the ball to the other end, where for a time Doyle and Reynolds had plenty to do. At length McMahon single handed took the ball dowm, and passing Lindsay, had no difficulty in beating Cain thus registering goal no 4. The restart still found the Scotch men in the ascendency, their forwards indulging in some pretty short passing movement which at times completeely eclipsed the efforts of the opposing van. A chance was eventually given to Chadwick but he shot above the bar, and from the goal kick Divers and McMahon were within distance of the home goal, Howarth came into the breech, and Geary took the ball down and finished badly, and a moment later Milward had a shot at goal but his attended met with no better result, several opening were not attended with any desire of good fortune and the remaining play was in favour of the Scotch men, whom passed some clever passing withhout effect nothing further was score and Celtic won by 4 goals to 1. Teams as followed:- Everton:- Cain, goal, Howarth (captain), and Lindsay backs, Kelso, Boyle, and Coyle half-backs, Williams (w), Southworth, Geary, Chadwick, and Milwward, forwards. Celtic :- Cullen goal, Doyle, and Reynolds backs, McLlhenry, Kelly and McMilly, half-backs Driver, McMahon, Campbell,Blessington, and Maddon, forwards.

MAY 1894
May 1, 1894 The Evening Express
Two Scottish Internationals Secured on Fabulous Terms. An agent representing Everton has just been successful in securing two famous international backs—Adams of the Hearts and Doyle of the Celtic. The terms agreed upon are said to be fabulous. The pair represented Scotland at Liverpool, and arrangements were then opened, but only now completed. They are the finest backs in the kingdom, Doyle being a huge kicker, while Adams is speedier than any of England's fastest forwards. Although fre- quently approached, neither would sign on for the Scottish clubs, and laat night Adams declined to play in a charity match.

MAY 1 1894. The Liverpool Courier
The Liverpool Senior cup final
This match was played at the Police Atltic ground Fairfield last evening before 4,000 specatators. reserves teams representing both sides ./ everton kicked off, and after a shortlived raid by Liverpool the ‘'Blues'' attacked and a couple of corners fell to them without result. From another however, the ball kept bobbling in front of the goal in a ominous manner. Rennie saved thrice in clever fashion, and then Elliott shot abortively when in a favourable position. A dash by the Liverpool left was neatly checked by Arridge and a long range by Parry located play once more in front of the Liverpool posts and on Rennie mulling, a corner proved futile. The latters goal experience a narrow escape a momnet later from Elliott, whilst Stoorier invaded over from a shot by Parry, Hartley than making a bad attemp when almost in front of the upright. The game coninued to favour the Evertonians, faulty shooting alone frustating their efforts to score. A fine bit of play by Walker was neutralised by Hughes notwithstanding which the ‘'blues'' returned to the attack, a wild shot passing high over the bar. Following a good attempt by Hartley Liverpool dealted off Williams saving cleverly from an sttempt by Hughes the passing wide of the posts. Corners followed to Everton, and a stinging shot by Murray brought Rennie to his knees. Williams was prominent at the other end when sorley pressed and up to the interval nothing had been scored. Upon resuming Everton had a free kick and Stoorier scored from Walker's pass. Immediately afterwards Elliott had a fine chance, a feeable shot spoiling the attempt to score. Storrier who also at fault, and then from a throw-in Murray sent over and Elliott scored, only to be rule off-side. An attmpted breakaway by Liverpool having been checked by Arridge's a long shot by Coyle followed by Hughes smartly checked by Hartley who dallied too long with the ball. The Liverpool backs were playing a good game, and this coupled with faulty shooting by the Everton forwards prevented any scoring. Hartley, however, sent in a grand shot which hit the bar and then Powell and Crawford dashed off, Walker pulling them up and planting the ball in a favourable position, for Murray to send wide. Play was of a monotanous character occasional shots being aimed at the Liverpool goal, but all went wide or over the attempts being very weak. Everton, however, scored again, Final result Everton 3 Liverpool nil. The followings are the teams. Everton:- Williams goal, Parry and Arridge, backs, Coyle, Jones and Walker half-backs, Reay, Murray, Hartley Elliott and Storrier, forwards. Liverpool:- Rennie, goal, Millett and Duckett backs, Kendrick, Hughes, and Newall, half-backs, Powell, Crawford, Travis, Braniff and Bicknall, forwards.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 30 May 1894
A Difficult Question. —The Heart of Midlothian reported the case of James Adams, who had declined take part in three important matches this month as intended to play for Everton next year. The Heart of Midlothian contended had signed to play for them until the end of this month. A letter on behalf of Adams was handed in explaining that he purposed going Liverpool to improve his position. If he played during the English close season he would make himself ineligible. Mr Smith, Heart of Midlothian, wished it to be understood that the complaint against Adams was not an individual, but to protect themselves against players leaving before the end of the season. In the course the discussion it transpired that Adams had already been ten days in Liverpool, bag and baggage, and that the form which he had signed was not before the Committee. Mr Harrison said that this was one those difficult questions which would have to be considered by the International Board at their first meeting. The Committee should therefore delay coming to decision upon this case. Mr Burnett moved that Adams' case be delayed till next meeting, and that meanwhile the delegates of the Association be instructed to bring up the question at the International Board. The motion was unanimously adopted.

Edinburgh Evening News - Wednesday 27 June 1894
James Adams
An action has been raised in Edinburgh Sheriff Court by Archibald McPherson, president, and the other office-bearers and members of the Committee of Management of the Heart of Midlothian Football Club, against James Adams, residing at 5 Newton Street, Edinburgh, to ordain him to deliver up to pursuers the silver cup belonging to them, known as the McEwan Cup, and failing delivery to pay the sum of 5 pounds.  In their condescendence pursuers state that the cup was to be competed for at the annual sports of the club, and that the winner should hold it for the season following the sports.  In the event of the cup being won by the same competitor three years in succession it would become his absoluate property.  No competitor had as yet done that.  For the sports held on 2s June 1894, theyn called upon defender to deliver up the cup in order that it might be again competed for.  He declined to do so, and in consequence the pursuers were precluded from offering the cup for competition.  The defender says that for a number of years he had played for the Hearts of Midlothian Football Club, and for several years he had been recognized as one of the most prominent players in the Country.  Everton Football Club, Liverpool, made him an offer to play for them for the next season and the defender not having been so engaged  by the Hearts of Midlothian Club, and the terms offered by the Everton Club, being much more lucrative to the defender, and in order to improve his and his family’s position he accepted the offer.  Since that became known a feeling of opposition by the pursuers towards the defender manisfested itself, and for some time the pursuers had acted unpleasantly towards him.  To annoy the defender, pursuers he believed instructed the secretary of the club to write defender calling upon him to deliver up the McEwan Cup, which he had won for the second consecutive time at the sports in 1893.  His right to the custody of the cup not having expired, the defender refused to deliver it up –it had not been the custom to deliver up the trophy until the day of the next sports –and called upon pursuers to furnish him with a copy of the rules regulating the competition.  He had no intention of taking the cup with him to Liverpool, although it was quite within his right to do so if he thought fit.  He had all along been willing to deliver up the cup to the proper owners on the day of the sports.  The pursuers, in their answer, explain that defender was bound to play for the pursuers’ club till 31st May, 1894, and that, in consequence of the rule of the English Association prohibiting players under their jurisdiction from playing for any club during the month of May the pursuers’ club had been deprived of the service of the defender.  On account of defender’s refusal to play, and to his having joined another club, any right he had to the custody of the cup ceased.  They further explain that defender’s acting and intentions in connection with the Everton Club were purposely withheld from the pursuers.  They admit that defender suggested that the cup should be deposited with Mr. George Sneddon, expresident of the Scottish Football Association, which was declined, because they (the pursuers) only were the proper custodies.  Defender, in his answers, says that the pursuers never had any intention of offering the cup for competition at the sports held on 2d June last, and explains that these sports were held under the rules of the Scottish Amateur Athletic Association, and by the rules of that association no professional runner or football player was eligible to compete.  All, or at all events most, of the playing members of the club were paid for their services, and consequently were not eligible.  Sheriff Rutherford has closed the record and sent the case to the debate roll.  Mr. James W. Robertson, S.S.C., appeared for the pursuers, and Mr. A. H. Hamilton (of Hossack & Hamilton, W.S) for the defender.