February 1894


February 5 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

This return match was played at West Bromwich on Saturday. The weather was favourable. But the company not large, numbering about 4,000. The teams were as follow West Bromwich Albion:- Reader goal, Nicholson, and Ctone backs, Perrt (t), Perry (c), and Taggart,, half-backs, Bassett, McLeod Williams, Person and Geddes, forwards. Everton:- Willimas, goal, Howarth (captain) and Parry, backs, Kelso Holt and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, Bell, Southworth, Geary, and Milward forwards . Mr Kingscott again officiated as referee. Williams kick off for the home against the wind, and Everton open the attack Latta fast testing Reader, who was safe. He stopped a supplementary shot from the Latta, and then used his hands to good aim from the Everton right wing. West Bromwich having withstood the pressure, made forward on the right when Howarth whipped in and neitralised a shot. The home team susstained the assault and Geddes put behind. Williams of West Bromwich, was penalised for hands, and from the place kick. Southworth put it straight for goal, but again Reader used his hands to effect. Everton now confined play to their opponents half for a few minutes, Milward making a beautful shot, which was stopped smartly. The Albion relieved on the right and Williams out to knock the ball aside, a corner being conceded,, from which the left sent behind. Southworth had a chance a moment later, but shot among the people. Everton followed up with three quick shies Reader saving the third at the expense of a corner, which, placed by Milward, was of no avail. From a pass, arising from a free kick taken Howarth, Geary beat Reader, but the point was disallowed for hands against the shooter, though Geary clearly headed. The next item was in Albion forcing a corner on the right. Geddes then drove across, and as Parry slipped down danger was great Byt Stewart steeped into the breach. Bassett in support, shot in hard, but Howarth headed away, and after a sprint to the other end the home team returned, when Bassett was nonplussed by infringing the off-side rule. The referee at this juncture reprinanded the home linesman for not keeping in line with the play. Everton were very near scoring twice, Latta and Milward each shooting capitally. Geary passing to Southworth,, who went wide; but on Holt putting for goal Reader punched out grandly. A hot tussle by Everton ensued resulting in Stewart kicking too hard. West Bromwich escaped on Kelso fouling Pearson, but could not get a firm footing in the face of the wind, and were promptly thrown on the defence, a department in which they excelled. Pearson trying to get off, was pulled up for tripping Holt, and came more Everton looked like scoring, but the ball was difficult to control, and it bounced over the bar. Bassett then assurned a threatening attitude, but in tussling with Parry he caused the interposition of the referee, who awarded a free kick against him, from which Geary ran away, and Latta, shot a shade too narrow. Geary next made a running sharp shot, but went just over the corner of goal. Southworth immediately headed in finely to no purpose as Reader was ready to contribure another of his brilliant saves. Holt and Stewart returned the ball, and Latta at length scored the custodian for once in the way missing his kick. From a foul against Latta the home team became menancing and Pearson went outside by a few inches. Milward in reply, rattled in magnificently from the line. The shot was stopped, and the interval arrived with Everton leading by a goal to nil. Rain at this period interposed, but only for a minute or so on resuming Howarth made a good clearance, and Southworth with Bell tried to make beadway, but it was of no use, and amidst much excitement, West Bromwich went off with a bound, though too headstrong for a good shot. Coming down the slope a second time Howard stood in the way, whilst a third attempt forced a futile corner. More rain now fell, beating in the eyes of the Everton players but theyhad the best of the game, everyone working very hard. A good shot, from some smart kicking and passing was essayed by Bell, when Reader gave a corner. Thus the Albion got a footing on the left, but shot just outside of the post. This was responed to by Milward, who banged in obliquely the ball being stopped right in the mouth of goal. The game was of a most intersting character, about this time each side taking up the attack alternately Pearson lead a flying aim which went to high. Parry then fouled near in, but Bell headed away danger. Anxienty at once returned to Everton, two corners ensuing out of the severe pressure, from one of which Albion had rather hard lines, as the low shot resulted in a post beingg struck. The home team were now often returning to goal, and were always dangerous when they get within range; but the defence was particulary sturdy Everton too, had turns and once Southworth from Geary, was close on goal before he couk be dispossossed. The sun now came out again, and the wind dropped. The Ball, following some good all-round play by Everton, was driven by Bell, but repulsed as it was on his making a similar attempt. Williams however, was soon to be put on his match. He cleared a shot rather gingerly, but made no mistake, when a further one was levelled at goal. Albion than crossed the goal line several times and at length equalised from a scrimmage, Williams the centreman, putting on the final touch. Everton maintain,, that the ball had been stopped by Williams a least half a yard in front of the goalline. Presumsoly the referee had some doubt about the point as he delayed his decision until he had spoken to two or three players. Mr Kingscott was not in a good position for seeing whether the ball had actually gone over the line or not, and should have given the defenders the well-recognised ‘'benefit of the doubt'' The Albionites being so lucky renewed play greater vigour, and passed hard, but could not beat the defence opposed to them just now. When Everton got clear Milward, though grassed as he did so shot well across the face of goal, but no one was there to touch the ball through. A good-chance thus passed away, and in a minute Howarth deemed it prudent to resort to the extreme measure of kicking out. C Perry next sent in a good shot at long range. This Williams stopped, but did not send, the ball far enough, and give it was quickly pounced upon, with the result that Pearson scored. Everton made one good attempt to save the match, but were baulked, and after Nicholson (full back) had given Everton goalkeeper an armful Albion just on time returned, Williams ultilising an opening, scoring a simply gaol, and Everton were thus beaten by 3 goals to 1 all the mischief being done in the last 15 minutes.

West Bromwich v Everton

February 4, 1894. Yorkshire Herald

At West Bromwich. Everton were helped with a strong wind, and had the best of the game in the first half. Reader was in fine form for Albion. Bell scored for Everton, Reader missing his kick. The Remainder of the first half was in favour of Albion, who made several good tries but failed. Half-time score –Everton one goal to Albion none. In the second half teams showed an excellent game. Albion were very unlucky in front of the goal. Everton often pressed, but wanted combination. Williams equalised for Albion. Final score- Albion 3 goals to Everton 1 goal.


February 5 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before 5,000 specatators. Everton pressed, and Hartley soon scored. Some pretty passing by the visitors produced nothing and then Hartley again scored. Macclesfield improved,, and Rogers beat Cock and them Elliott passed to McMillan, who added the third point. Murray accounting for a fourth. At half-time the score was Everton 4 goals, Macclesfield 1. In the second half McMillan and Hartley both scored the final result being Everton 7 goals, Macclesfield 2. Everton team, Cock, goal, Lindsay and Arridge, backs, Walker, Storrier and Coyle half-backs, Williams, Murray, Hartley, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards Placed 1 st , Played 14,, won 13, lost 1 drew 1, for 63, against 14 points 26



February 5, 1894. Birmingham Daily Post

It will be readily admitted that the West Bromwich Albion thoroughly deserved the victory they achieved over Everton in the return League match at stoney Lane, on Saturday. Their success must have been all the more welcome on account of the disastrous reverse which they sustained at Everton at the end of December. Having such a defeat to wipe out it was only natural to expect that the Albion would strain every nerve in order to win, and this expectation was fully realised, the match throughout being most stubbornly contested. There is no doubt that the home eleven, on the whole had the best of the play; but until a few minutes before the call of time, their superiority was not marked, and there was certainly no indication that they would gain such a decisive victory. The closing stages of the game were similar to those witnessed in the match against the Rovers on the previous Saturday; the only difference being that the sweeping and dashing charges of the Albion forwards told more effectively upon the Everton team that upon the more experienced Blackburn eleven. In the first half, with the wind and hill against them, the local players were very frequently the aggressors, but the visitors up to the interval appeared to have a slight advantage. The Everton half-backs played remarkably well throughout, and were repeatedly successful in frustrating the tactics of the opposing forwards. The display of the Everton forwards was also commendable, so far as individual speed and dash are concerned, but occasionally they seemed lacking in effective combination, and their shooting at times was anything but accurate. Latta, Geary, and Southworth were particularly smart, but the latter was considerably hampered by the attention which C. Perry paid to him. The chief feature of the Albion play was the magnificent defence of Reader, who was ably assisted by Nicholson and Crone; whilst the forwards showed marked improvement compared with their recent performances. Pearson did well as the partner of Geddes, and these two were responsible for some excellent runs and passing. Bassett and McLeod worked admirably together, the clever tactics of the former being t times very perplexing to the Everton defenders. The victory of the Albion was a great surprise, as the last two goals were scored within about five minutes of the call of time.

Sunderland v Everton

February 7, 1894. The Yorkshire Herald

Played at Sunderland yesterday afternoon and was witnessed by 10,000 spectators. The visitors played with a strong wind in their favour during the first half, but three minutes from the start Gillespie scored for Sunderland. After this, however, Everton pressed severely, and Doig saved dangerous shots. Corners fell to Everton in quick succession, but they were not improved upon, and half-time arrived with the score;- Sunderland 1 goal to Everton nil. With the wind in their favour, Sunderland did most of the attacking, and many times seemed on the point scoring, but Williams saved brilliantly, and the result of a keenly contested game was: Sunderland, one goal; Everton, nil.



February 7, 1894. The Birmingham Daily Post

This league match took place at Sunderland, before 10,000 spectators. Both sides were strongly represented. Sunderland started against a strong wind, and Gillespie scored in the first few minutes. Everton pressed after this, but the defence of Sunderland was fine. Chances were missed at both ends, Everton having hard times. Nothing more was cored, Sunderland leading by 1 to 0 at half-time. The home team, aided by the wind, attacked during the greater portion of the second half, and many times missed scoring by the merest chance. During the game Kelso was injured. Sunderland won by 1 goal to 0.



February 7 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

This return League match was played at Sunderland yesterday, in fine weather, and in the presence of about 8,000 spectators. Everton had won the first game by 7 goals to 1. The teams were- Everton:- Williams, goal, Howarth (captain) and Parry, backs, Kelso, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta Southworth, Hartley Geary and Milward forwards. Sunderland:- Doig, goal, Meeham and Gow, backs, Dunlop, Auld, and Wilson, half-backs Gillespie, Harvey, Campbell Willer and Hysop forwards Bell and Chadwick were not well enough to be included in the Everton team. A strong wind blew from goal to goal, of which Everton had the advantage during the first half. Mr Fox started the game promptly at three o'clock. Sunderland had the initial shot, but the wind drove the ball back. The home team kept in front, however, and Gillespie scored easily within a few minutes. Everton then pressed hard, and tested Doig a corner ensung. Further good attempts were made to break down the home defence the shots being freuently and of excellent quality but the saves were brillant. From a corner kick by Milward the ball went into the net untouched, and of course did not count. The goalline was crossed several times on either side of the pass it being difficult to control the ball owing to the high wind. The straight shots were repulsed wonderfully a hard one by Hartley deserveding to score. Southworth next worked up but only to see the ball go wide. The Everton defence had considerable employment in the play which immediately followed, Parry being just in time to intercept a dangerous shot. Campbell returned, and placing a little too high at long range, he shot wide, and then Everton got clear, when Meehan was forced to kick into touch. Though facing the gale the home team passed well and kicked hard. Once Miller had an opening, but Howarth tackled him in time to prevent an accurate shot. Holt then kicked out to foil Gillesoie and Everton became busy in front of goal, but again failed to score. A fast run on the Sunderland right elicated a cheer, and Miller had two fine shots. The first compelled a corner by Howarth and the second was saved by Williams, who caught the ball grandly. Everton then took up the attack,, but were not permitted to get in many likely shots, the backs always securing to ber in the right place. Latta on receiving from the left, had a golden chance but he got too much under the ball and shot high over the bar. Half-time was now fast approaching, and Everton's prospects thus became gloomy, for it they could not score with the assistance of the wind, it was less probable that they would do so against the elements. They worked very hard and were dashing but could not shoot with the requisite amount of precusion. They had much had look it is a true, some of the shots saved being somewhat accidental. There were plenty of corners conceded them and when the wistle sounded for half-time, with the home team leading by a goal. Everton were pressing. On resuming the visitors went down prettily, and from a run by Hartley, Latta had a fair shot, which was checked. Everton returned on the right, when Southworth was pulled up. The play then went favourable to Sunderland, but they also encountered turdy defence, and were not very troublesome with shots at goal. Campbell was spoken to for doubtful, play, and a minute later Gillepoie got accidentally kicked in trying to beat Parry for possession. After a slight delay the injured man was all right and Sunderland made strong raids on goal. Wilson shot outside, and Gow took a long aim spendidly Williams compassing a brillant save. Off side came to the relief of Everton at a critical juccture while Parry cleared at the cost of a futile corner. Everton could not gey away, and on Auld shooting in high Williams caught the ball well, and made other magnificent saves. He was terribly hard pressed in scrimmaging order, and a down fall appeared inevitable but he was equal to the emerency and threw behind. The corner, was neutralised with some difficulty, and then Everton had breathing time without shooting. Stewart was penalised for fouling Miller, the place kick being repulsed by Howarth. Again Everton broke away strongly on the right, culminating in Southworth heading in beautfully. Doig, however, was ready, and used his left fist to good effect, as he also did on a fine shot being quickly returned. The Everton defenders were then in requistion again, and but for their all-round magnificent play Sunderland must have added to their score. Gillespie, after several low aims had been of no avail essayed a high one, but went too skyward. Following a breakway by Everton a rasping shot was tried by Campbell who found Williams at his posts, and reliable. A free kick next fell to the vistors, which was entrusted to kelso, but he sent wide, Gow in reply experimented with a length shie, and was so near that Williams had to stretch up to punch the ball over the bar. Holt gave a foul, and at the same time kelso was kicked in the stomach and was so badly hurt that he had to have the field. This occurred five or six minutes from time. Latta went half back, and Everton were driven on the defensive more or less up to the finish. The game was grandly fought all though Sunderland won by a goal to nil, Everton had quite of the play as the winners, excepting the first fatal minutes.



February 12 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Having been knocked out of the English Cup competition in the first round these clubs had an open date on Saturday, and played a football game at Goodison Park. In view of the intersting counter attraction at Anfield a large attendance was not anticupated, nor was they, as the conpany wound not exceed 4,000. The home team was a mixed one, as will be seen from the following names :- Everon:- Nicholas goal, Lindsay and Parry backs, Boyle Storrier, and Stewart halfbacks, Reay, Latta (captain) Southworth, McMillan, and Elliott forwards. Shefiield United:- Lilley, goal, Whitham and Cain backs, Howell, walter and Neddham, half-backs Yates,, Morris, Hill, Watson and Gallacher, forwards . Everton had to start against the wind but were the most aggressive at the outset, the first capable shot coming from Elliott but which Lilley stopped. A retaliatory movement by the United men and Cain drivering over the goal line from a free kick, and Everton reached the scene of opponents in a neatly combined run, but Reay's shot went begging. Nicholson the home custodian soon had a shot to negoiated as it was sent in up the right hand post but he kicked the ball well aside. Storrier next passed up and the left wing breaking away, Southworth received a pass and scored easily a quarter of an hour from the start. The play went on even turns the ball being work up and down with much regularity, and for a long time midfield operations prevailed. The centres were missed by Everton, either of which might have been turned to account, and them, from a long pass by Yates to the left across the field 25 yards from goal, Watson took a good aim and secured with a fine shot. Everton lost no time crowding on goal, were robbed by an opponent at brilliantly, though the referee did not see the infringement. A burst by the United who snartly stoped, and on to Everton a scrimmage treantening an opponent was penalised for a foul. The free kick was taken by Stewart, and placed so well,, that Latta headed in accuraly and gave Everton once more the lead. The next thing was in Parry jumping up and using his head to a high sharp shot from the United left, and quickly following Nicholas ran out and cleared a shot by Watson somewhat clumsily. A nice movement by Boyle Lataa and Reay took the ball to goal, but before further play would be indulged in the interval was announced with Everton leading by two goals to one. On resuming Latta for a time went to his old position as outside right, and Reay inside. Everton had an attaempt to move on the right wing, but were promptly pulled up, and Sheffield became more dangerous Parry conceding a corner, Southworth shortly afterwards received an injury in the back and was compelled to retire. Cain than tackled reay in a questionable manner, but the latter ran on and centred from the ensuing play Elliott shot in when Lilley ran out with the ball in his arms. He was collard by McMillan and the two went down in a mail. A goal kick was given, and soon the United got a short aim. Nicholas caught the ball all right, but turned round before throwing out. This give the opponents time to get on him, and worked through in a tight scrimmage. In the meantime Southworth had resumed. Once Boyle to Elliott and a grand chance but he lifted the ball over the bar. Two free kicks fell to United and the second of which resulted in a corner. Everton tried to gain a winning point, but were handicapped through Southworth again retiring, and could not sustain the attack. The home Goalkeeper was once more severly tested, and did not do his work in a reassuring manner. He scooped a shot with his right hand without clearing and had to stand the brunt of another hard thrust. This he parred also, but only weakly, with the result that the ball was driven in hard but fortunately Boyle went to the rescue using his head. As a closing incident a most remarkable tussle ensued in front of the United goal. From a free kick the ball was forced under the bar and came out again, no goal being awarded. (here was another instance of the necessity of goal line judges). The tension relaxing with a futile corner kick, and when a fairly well contested though at times rough game terminated, the result was a draw of 2 goals each.



February 12 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Burnley. Despite the fact that Everton played downhill with a strong wind, Burnley were the first to score, the visitors equalising soon afterwards. The swifts scored twice, however, and led at the interavl by three goals to one. On resuming the home team scored immediately after which play was fairly even, but Burnley added a fifth. The Swifts had the best of the play subseqyently but cound not score again winning by 5 goals to 1.



February 12 1894. The Liverpool mercury

Howarth, Holt and Geary played for English league Geary scored one goal.


February 17, 1894. Chester Observer.

Local footballers will be surprised to learn that on Saturday, Nicholas, of Ellersmere Port, played in goal for Everton League against Sheffield United in a “friendly” at Goodison Park. A contemporarily, speaking of the newly found one, says;- he was a little agricultural in his style, but he shaped very well on the whole, and with a little polished up and experience he should do.”

Everton v. Burnley

February 19, 1894. The Yorkshire Herald

At Liverpool, before 12,000 spectators. The ground was very heavy, and against reliable passing. Burnley scored twice before the interval, King and Espie being the scorers, whilst Everton, though several times very near, failed to find an opening. In the second half Everton attacked persistently, Hillman displaying fine form in goal. Both sides protested against the ground. Result –Burnley 2 goals to Everton one.



February 19 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Cup Competition Second Round

This important tie was proceed with at Goodison Park on Saturday, where, notwithstanding the prevailing rain, about 15,000 spectators assembled. Both teams had specially trained for the occasion, and were strong Southworth being the only natable absentee, he having been badly hurt on the Saturday previous by one of the Sheffield United players. The players were :- Everton, Williams,, goal, Parry, and Howarth (captain), backs, Kelso, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, Bell, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Burnley:- Hillman goal, Nichol and McLintock, backs, King, Crabtree, and Livingstone, half-backs, Turnbull, Place, Espie., Bowes and Hill, forwards. Referee Mt J.Lewis (Blackburn) Both clubs lodged protest before the starting that the ground was not fit for a cup tie, water lying in places and mud everywhere. Howarth won the toss, but there was not much advantage, and soon Latta centred, but only to find Nichol in the way of good. At the other end Howarth prpulsed with equal effects, and play became lively. From a free kick against Crabtree, for fouling Geary, Parry put direct into the net. No one had touched the ball, and so the point did not count. Hillman next saved well on the Everton left wing shooting, and then Stewart became conspicuous for running across and despoiling the efforts of Hill and Bowes. Some passing by Geary Bell,, and Latta looked pretty but resulted in the latter shooting wide. The visitors broke away on the left, but were prompty beaten off and from a free kick Kelso lobbed in finely to Geary who headed capitally for goal, but without success. More neat passing by the Everton forwaards was dashed up, and that this time Milward took the final kick, but was wide. Some warm worked followed. Parry brough down an opponent, and at the same moment Holt got kicked on the head, and two players were thus shown at the same time. About twenty yards from each other. Each was pained though they soon got round. After some slight delay Turnbull had a chance near in from a shot from the left, but was smartly knocked of the ball. Everton replied with a good attempt at scoring but quickly Burnley went away in a swing that forcer danger, and Both Parry and Howarth were found employment, which they accomplished to the purpose. A corner on the Everton right next offend a chance to Bell of heading to goal but he missed, and the ball went to Chadwick, who was forced to put too high. Burnley had chance when Turnbull slipped when about to shoot. The pressure was sustained however, and Hill caused Williams to make his first saved. A free kick to Everton at midfield, and from this atatcked of stiuly but Crabtree especially defended smartly, and one or two shots that were tried by at Hillman. After the Everton backs had been put to the test, Kelso fouled by Espie and Parry put through wiothout any one touching the ball., from the free kick. As a result of some sharp clean passing by Burnley from left to Right Place shot in hard but went behind. A free kick was awarded to Burnley during the attack. This Howarth neutralised, but the ball went to King who tried a long low shot of 30 yards in length and actually scored, though the pass passed very near to one or two Evertonians. Williams tried to get up to be beaten near the post. Turnbull tried a similar shot, but this Williams saved at the expense of a corner. At the other end Geary made a fine effort to turn a shot by Milward into goal. He was unsuccessful, and the centre forward shot erratical, when another chance soon came his way. A further diaster was at length to Everton just before the interval. Turnbull became dangerous and Williams seeing the ran out but failed in his kick, and left the goal at the mercy of Espie, who easily captured it. Espie were thus changed with Burnley leading by two goals to nil. Everton resumed in a promising way, as Latta promptly forced a corner, and then went for goal, in a cluster Whilst attacking well, Holt shot in strongly, but the ball was smartly stopped. Stewart supplemented with a smartly attempt, giving no better reward, and then geary put outside from a running shot. Kelso tried his fortune, when Hillman pushed behind and from the corner Chadwick played into goal, but it was against an impossible barrier. So the second half commenced and so it continued with the exception of harmless breakaways by Burnley. Everton were determined and generally accurate, but though so severly tested, Hillmandid marvellous things, and stopped shots which seemed impossible. Only once was he beaten, a high dropping shot by Chadwick, and to be more than any one else, did Burnley owe their victory of 2 goals to 1.



February 19 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At bolton. In the first half fergusson scored for Wanderers and Hartley of Everton equalised. In the second half the visitors had more of the game and Murray scoring a second goal for them they won by 2 goals to 1.

Lancashire Senior Cup-Second Round.

Everton v. Burnley

February 22, 1894. The Yorkshire Herald.

The Lancashire Football Association held a meeting in Manchester on Tuesday night, and ordered the Lancashire Cup tie between Everton v. Burnley to be replayed at Goodison Park next Monday. It will be remaindered that both sides; lodged a protest owing to the state of the ground, and the referee (Mr. J. Lewis, Blackburn) also declared that in his opinion the ground was unfit for a cup-tie. The Everton players are going into training for the match, and in view of the struggle the Burnley players were yesterday afternoon packed off to Lytham for another dose of training. They will return to Burnley on Saturday to play North End in the Palatine League match, after which they will go back to Lytham, where they remain until Monday morning.


February 26 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Bell fractured his collar bone

A friendly match was played between these clubs at Goodison Park on Saturday. The weather proving fine, there was a capital attendence of about 10,000. In view of the replayed cup tie with Burnley to-day, Everton gave Latta, Howarth, Holt, Chadwick, Southworth, and Stewart a rest, whilst the visitors were without Campbell and Auld, the teams being as follow:- Everton, Jardine goal, Lindsay, and Parry, backs, Kelso, Boyle, and Coyle, half-backs, Reay, Bell Hartley, Geary, and Milward, forwards. Sunderland:- Doig, goal, Meehan, and Gow backs, Dunlop, Gibson and Wilson half-backs Gillespie Harvey, Miller, D.Hannah, and Hyslop, forwards. Everton had the advantage of a wind that blew from corner to corner. Boyle at the outset put in good work at centre, and Everton attacked, but were not really dangerous. It early became evident that the game was to be an earnest one, and each side displayed commenable spped. Jardine saved twice very smartly, both shots being low ones.in response Hartley shot wide and after the ball had been put into the Everton net from an off-set position Reay headed a raid and centred to Geary who however, shot high and wide. A quarter of an hour from the start the Sunderland right wing made ground and, Coyle, being dished Harvey centred. Hannah met the ball, and had no difficulty in scoring. On restarting from the centre, Bell was soon in possession. He dribbled and ran but failed in his long shot, the ball going yards too high. Everton returned to goal, and Geary passed to the left but though Boyle put in some useful work nothing came of the attack which was of too stragging a character. Gibson next passed to gillespie who placed for gaol, and again Hannah took aim with success. Everton at the end of 25 minutes were two goals to the bad. Hannah was very near adding to the Sunderland score a few minutes later, and then Parry had to be quick in repulsing right on the fringe of goal. Everton now had a turn to some purpose. Geary ran in his best style, but, being challenged, he parted to Hartley who returned the ball to Geary, and the latter shot with certainty. The next item was in Bell running strongly, to be tackled by Gow, and he could not help kicking outside. The home team were most unmistalably improving now and quickly Hartley had two fair aims, but neither of which was capable of beating Doig. Coming up again out of a scrimmage Everton forced a corner, when Geary essayed a rattling shot, and had hard lines in striking the bar. Shortly following Bell got injured in collison and had to retire. The play continued pretty even, however, up to the interavl, which arrived with Sunderland leading by 2 goals to 1. On examination it was discovered unfortunately, that Bell in charging Miller, had really fractured his collar bone. Though losing the services of one of the cleverest colleagues Everton restarted full of animation. They went down solid on goal Geary made a grand run, and shot so well that he compelled Doig to conceded a corner by fisting. Geary headed in from the place kick, and exacted another corner from the goalkeeper both of which shots, with a less capable goalkeeper, would have scored. Other shots followed, and was spendidly repulsed and then Sunderland became aggressive but at the most critical moment Parry was there to avert a further reverse. At the other end, a pass from the right give Milward a chance of taking aim, and he gave Doig an armful. Parry was again effective in stemming the progress of Gellespie-in fact the latter was penalised, and Boyle passing to Reay, the latter shot wide. Whilst pressing a free kick was given to Everton close in, but the defence was too sound. Parry once more tackled in his complete style, and Hartley ran through. He passed to Milward who returned, and the centre man shot well at long range, but the opposing back had time to get in his kick. Trying the long kicking, Everton were the most aggressive, and soon Reay had a fine shot. Geary followed by shooting straight though too high. Reay and Hartley went off in a spanking joint movement, and the ball was centred, but Geary when within a few yards of the goal got too much under and surmounted the bar. Milward was them hurt on the left leg but did not leave the field. In the remaining play the home team had most of the attack notwithstanding that they were only ten in number. They were very near scoring once or twice, but no flaw in the Sunderland defence could be found, and Everton were beaten by 2 goals to 1. Foot note, Jones played for wales against ireland.



February 27 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire senior cup

These clubs met at Goodison Park, to replay their second round tie in the lancashire cup competition. Last Saturday week an abortive attempt was made to decide the tie, the ground being in such a muddy condition both teams took the procaution to lodge a protest, which, on being brought before the county executive, was sustamed. A friendly game was played on that occasion, which Burnley won by 2 goals to 1. Though rain fell yesterday morning, fortunately, the weather cleared up the afternoon, but of course the ground was again rendered miry. Hartley took Bell's place in the Everton team. Whilst Burnley had the same representation as in the first match, the teams being as follows: Everton:- Williams, goal, Howarth (capt), and Parry, backs Kelso Holt and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, Hartley, Southworth, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burnley:- Hillman, goal, Nichol, and McLintock,, backs, King Crabtree, and Livingstone, half-backs, Place, Turnbull, Espie, Bowes, and Hills, forwards Everton having kick off, the Burnley goal at once became the scene of operations a futile corner kick being the only result. This Espie initiated a neat movement which Parry checked cleverly only to find Milward send wide of the mark. Latta making a good, but abortive attept a moment later. Holt was then penalised, and Williams had to kick away following which the ball was shot over the goal line. Milward ran down, supported by Chadwick, the sphere going out at the corner. Espie fouled Holt, and from Howarth's place kick Milward put over. Other free kicks fell to Everton, from one of which goal was near being reached. The home side were now monopolising the bulk of the play, although facing a strong breeze, which carried shots wide of the mark. A well directed attack on the Everton goal, initiated by the Burnley left wing, was almost productive, Howarth however, kicked away, and then Kelso administered a check, Parry driving well up to Milward. The backs repulsed, and play lodged in midfield. Hill became conspicuous, getting well down, and Espie tested Williams, who managed to beat the ball back. A corner, on Stewart putting in good work, who forced on the Everton left. The place kick was a good one, and Harley headed against the post, the ball seeming to have gone though. Hillman saved twice, especially smart from a warm shot by Latta. On the Burnley right running down Parry fouled, King placing wide of the goal. Everton next attacked in capital style, Southworth and Hartley both shooting accurately, but they found Hillman safe. No relief came to the visiting defence, and Hillman soon made a remarkable save from Latta's shot. At this period the people present numbered fully 15,000. Livingston was pulled up for a foul charge of Latta, but nothing came from the free kick taken by Kelso and Burnley entered on a movement which Called Howarth to the rescue without clearing. Crabtree essayed a long straight shot, which Williams met with his fist Turnbull lifting over the bar from the return. Howarth and Williams stopped shots somewhat kluckily that from the latter giving a corner which was of no avail. The visitors contined to press a little while, and then Howarth got in a useful kick. From this Southworth fastened on the ball, dribbled straight up to goal, and scored a beaufully, ten minutes from the interval. With this success Everton returned to the attack strongly, and several narrow escape were experienced by Burnley, particularly from the efforts of Southworth. Who first kicked and then headed spendidly. Hartley next started an effective movement, and giving to his partner. Latta sent the ball over Hillman's head into the net, the custodian stoopng down to the low shot. Chadwick just before the whistle blew, put in a hard thrust, but Hillman was safe this time, and half-time arrived with Everton leading by 2 goals to nil. Upon resuming Burnley were the first to assume a threatening attitude, but were quickly beaten off, Everton gaining ground from a free kick taken by Howarth. Milward had a shot, but Hartley unfortunately got in the way of the ball. Stewart also took aim, and then Hillman sent the ball behind, Milward's corner kick being futile. Burnley now raised off, and besiged the Everton goal. Crabtree sending in a lofty shot, which Williams punched out. Immediately following this an unfavounate accident befel Turnbull who got a nasty knock on the head in a collison with Crabtree. The latter limped from the field, and Turnbull was carried off after his head had been bandaged. This mishap of course caused play to be suspened for a few minutes, and Burnley resumed with nine men. They were naturally crippedgreatly, and play slowed down in consequence. Still the visitors made one or two efforts, only,, however to be easily beaten back. Hartley was conspicuous with a couple of shots, followed by an even better effort by Latta, who screwed in from the touch, Hillman saving from underneat the bar. Chadwick had a shot but with no effect. Parry robbed Place, and the home team again pressed when, from Southworth, Chadwick made a good attempt to score with a long shot. Hartley next took aim in differently. A little later, however, Everton went in a cluster, and Latta give Hillman a really puzzling shot, but still it was diverted. Milward next centred, and Latta being in a good position easily beat Hillman. With only three forwards Burnley could make no appreciabe headway, and play was consequently nearly all at the one end. Everton had no necssity to exert themselves much, but as it ws Hillman was frequently in requestion, and he played a very prominent part in keeping the score down. Near the finish after Burnley had been awarded a free kick, close to the Everton goal, the home forwards went quickly away when Hillman, was deserted from goal, which Latta catured Chadwick repeating the feat two minutes afterwards, and when play ceased Everton qualified for the semi-final stage of the cup competition by a win of 5 goals to nil.