April 1895

April 1 1895.
The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup Final

The final tie in the above competition was played at Blackburn on Saturday but, the fixture did not attract more than about 8,000 spectators. Everton, the holders were short of Parry, and North End had a full team. The sides were as follows : - Everton: - Cain, goal, Kelso, and Arridge, backs Boyle (captain) , Holt, and Stewart halfbacks, Bell, McInnes Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. North End: - Trainor, Dunn, and Holmes backs, Sharp, Saunders, and Orr, halfbacks, Henderson, Barr, Smith, Cunningham, and blythe, forwards. Refreee Mr John Lewis, Blackburn. Boyle win the toss, and took advantage of playing with the assistance of a fair breeze. The Northenders got away from the kick off, and after a few exchanges had a capital chances of taking the lead, within a minute from the start, but Barr shot wide of the mark. A free kick succeeded the goal kick, but a similar award to North End equalised matters though Bell and Mcinnes recovered with interest and forced a corner off Holmes . Bell placed it badly but the Everton van got away again, and from a foul in front of goal Stewart put the ball into the net, without it however, touching a player. From a foul at the other end Holmes placed the ball nicely, when Kelso smartly saved, and taking a free kick shortly afterwards Geary called upon Trainor, but the attempt did not call for much resource, and a save was easily effected. Kelso missed his footing and blythe having beaten Boyle took odds on a score, when Holt met the centre and cleared nicely. Arridge was fortunate in meeting a strong shot from Smith with his head, and following some good work by the Everton halves Chadwick shot in from long range and trainor had no difficult in effecting a save. Cunningham Smith Barr, and Henderson put in some nice work, and in the final arrempt Henderson shot into the net, but he had been lying offside and the point was not allowed. The same player fastered on the ball after Blythe and Cunningham had made the running, but his attempt went very wide, and following some capital defence on the part of North End backs, Holmes eventually conceded a corner after being defeated by Bell, but nothing came of it, and a moment later Geary broke clean away, and had the goal, at his mercy, and was only a few yards from trainor when he put the ball wide of the net. The unlooked for escape called forth wild bursts of enthusiasm from the Preston supporters, and from the goal kick, Orr placed the ball nicely to Smith, who raced down and passed to Blyhe, but Kelso cleverly net the return, and bell sent in a capital swinging centre, which Geary only, but missed meeting. Strong pressure followed, and the climax was reached on Chadwick sending in a hot one, which, struck the crossbar, and Dunn got the ball clear. Getting to work again Stewart gave good assistance to Chadwick and Milward, but Sharp was watchful, and in turn gave to Smith who opened out the play to Henderson. Stewart was beaten as also was Arridge though the last maned player managed to placed the ball sufficiently to enable Cain to run out and effect clearance. The North End forwards now displayed some good combination, and Blythe sent in a strong shot which, struck the bar, but finished lay well up and met the return and head of through the goal was palpucky an offside one 15 minutes from the commencement of play. A couple of corners fell to Everton. Nothing came of them, and Holmes put in some grand defensive play, and from a Strong kick gave Smith as easy chance to added to the score, but the final effort was a weak one, and Cain had no difficulty in saving. This brought about half time. With the score in favour of north end by a goal to nil. On resuming Geary opened the play, and the first item of interest was some smart play with Chadwick and Milward. The former however, shot too high, and from the goal kick Arridge was severely pressed, but eventually got the ball away, only to find the Preston forwards well up again. A grand piece of combination between Henderson, Barr, and smith resulted in Cunningham shooting into the net, but he was lying offside. A severe pressure followed on Cain charge, and free kick was given against Kelso close in. Orr met the return and with a strong shot added a second goal eight minutes from the restart. The Everton forwards now settled down to work, and for the next few minutes shots were rained in by Chadwick and Mcinnes, but with no effect. A weak return from Arridge gave opportunities for the North end right and Orr sent in a beauty along the ground, which Cain cleverely saved. Geary just mssing scoring at the other end as also did Bell, the Preston custodian being in one of the best moods. Cunningham raced away, and sent in a clever shot across the goalmouth, but Henderson was slow in getting up, and missed a certain chance of scoring Barr narrowly missed scoring, and a moment later Bell, and McInnes had the better of Orr, and Holmes, and the ball was sent across to Chadwick who, in attempting to score missed his kick, and Dunn placed the ball out of danger. Coming away again, Bell and McInnes worked grandly together. An easy chance was given to Chadwick, but he shot high over when but a few yards in front of Trainor. A big effort was now put forward to pieces the north End defence, but Dunn and Holmes were playing a most effective game. Bell went centre with a view to forcing the play, and generally matters improved. A couple of corners fell to Everton in quick succession, and from the second, Blythe beat Holt and Kelso, and Arridge was fortunate in covering his confrees. Meanwhile Milward had left the field disabled, and the remaining play was in favour of Everton, but no further points were scored, and North end won by 2 goals to nil.



April 1 1895. The Liverpool mercury

Played at Goodison Park. The first half of the game was altogether in favour of the home side Hill quickly placed three goals, Clarke followed was another, and up to the change of ends, play was very one sided Everton leading by 7 goals to 1. The second half was tamely contested, and the final result was 8 goals to 1 in favour of the Reserves. Everton: - Cook, goal, Adams, and McDonald backs, Walker, Owen, and Elliott, halfbacks, Williams, Clarke, Hill McMillan, and Handford, forwards.



April 1 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The appeal of the Everton directors to the League with reference to the date of their return match with Sunderland was sustained, and the deposit of £10 returned. The game will be played on April 20tth, when both sides will be able to command their full resources to a match which, promise to be the most exciting event of the season.

The magnificent accommodations provided by the Everton club has at last been recognized by the English Association, who have appointed the premier International match to the city. It is to be hoped that the spectators on spite of the non-inclusion of the finest inside left player in England=Chadwick- will give their full support to the ground as usual. The Scotch team in a very powerful one, and it will require a very great effort on the part of the English forwards to break down their defensive play.

The final in the Lancashire Cup competition was the main item of interest to Evertonians, but it was somewhat unfortunate the excursion were not able to turn out on their full strength. Parry was somewhat indisposed, owing to the demands recently made upon him, and Cain appeared in goal instead of Hillman, who was now eligible owing to his having already played for his old club Burnley in the same competition. The opening exchanges of the game were in favour of Everton, whose forwards showed better combination, indeed during the greater portion of the first half, the North End forwards were demain totally with the individually efforts. Several times the Everton forwards took the ball nicely to the field, only to end, with a weak affort. One occasion was especially marked. Geary obtained possession through a pretty bit of play and though he successfully got between both backs, and had only Trainor a few yards in front of him to beat, his shot, which, quite missed the goal, was of the weakest description. This was a very unlucky time for Everton, for though afterwards their forwards worked very hard, they seemed to lack heart. The outside wingmen were not sufficiently attended to, and bell especially had not the opportunity of nullifying he speed and trickiness to full advantage. Three inside men appeared to be playing too close upon one another, thus hampering each other and crapping the game, inside rendering it an easy task for the opposing backs to sough with their efforts. On the other hand the North End forwards adopted the system of the long passing game, and it was only the exceptional fine defence of Kelso in particular that prevented then from compiling a much heavier score. In the second half the Evertonians played up with greater dash and energy than their opportunities, who appeared to be contesting the game in a very half hearted fashion until about ten minutes from the end, when Bell went centre with a view to forcing the game and this was well accomplished though goals were not forthcoming. In the front rank, Everton were certainly at a disadvantage, as Milward was injured on the first few minutes of the game, and although he returned to the field he was undoubtedly damaged, as his subsequently play showed. McInnes also was the victim of rather shady piece on play on the part of Holmes, which was unnoticed by the referee, and caused him to limp about almost helplessly through the greater part of the second half. On their play after the change of ends, North End certainly deserved to win, although they may count their success a very lucky one, as their first goal was undoubtedly off side. The second point notched was also of the luckiest description, the ball passing between quite a forest of legs, and Cain should certainly have saved it, and would, no doubt had he made an attempt. Cain had very little to do in goal, the game being singularly devoid of goals shots of the backs, Kelso was in great form. He played a magnificent game, and as already stated it was chiefty due to his execurtion that Everton were not more severely beaten. Arridge also played a very good game, his kicking being clean, but his displayed as since a tendency to wander too far up the field, a faulty which, he cannot always be depended upon re remedy. The halves were not up to their usual standard of play although they worked hard throughout. They went in too much for long kicks instead of passing to their forwards as they usually do. Of the front rank Bell was certainly the pick, and although he was closely attended to by Orr, and had also to face Holmes in one of his best moods, he got in some beautiful centres, which, however, were nullified by faulty shooting in the part of the inside men. McInnes and Chadwick were much below their usual form though the former had very hard lines in falling when he had the goal absolutely at his mercy. During the first few minutes of the game Geary played well, but after the unfortunate miss, alluded to above his play deteriorated considerably and it is a pity, that Bell and he was not changed sooner, as the alterations in position would undoubtedly have worked well. Milward was a cripple from a few minutes after the opening of the game and twice had to leave the field. It could not, therefore be expected that he would play up to the standard he had reached of late. In view of the remaining encounter, Everton have to face in the League, it is advable in the best interests of the club that Bell could occupy the centre positions. Recent engagements have proved this conclusively, as for example the game with Burnley, and again in the match under notice. In both these contested has Bell displayed adroitness directly the ball is passed to him when he is within shooting range, and with the remaining forwards in good condition, the front line should be second to none.

Robert Kelso the popular right back of the Everton club, is to be receive of a well earned benefit tonight at Goodison Park against the Preston North End. The kick off is timed for 5-30 and both teams will be almost identical with those of Saturday.

April 1, 1895. Yorkshire Herald

At Blackburn, before 10,000 spectators. In the first minute Everton were decidedly lucky to save their goal, and soon afterwards Henderson netted the ball for the North End, but was ruled off side. Ten minutes from the interval Smith me the ball as it rebounded from the crossbar, and headed a goal for Preston. Half-time arrived with score –North End 1 goal to Everton nil. On resuming North End, who were now favoured by the wind, pressed continually, and from a free kick close to goal Orr put on a second point. Chadwick and McInnes both had chances of scoring for Everton, but shot badly, and though Everton made desperate efforts to score, North End held them well in hand up to the finish. Result –North End 2 Goals to Everton nil.


April 2, 1895. The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser

A Friendly match between these teams was played at Goodison Park, for Kelso's benefit. Gregory early scored for Everton, but Cunningham, after having had hard lines on two occasions, equalized, and until the interval the game ruled slightly in favour of North End. Cain saved some rattling shots, and Henderson and Barr both missed good chances. At half-time the score was one goal each. Upon the resuming the play was even for a time, and then North End scored again by Smith, thus giving them the lead. Then Everton pressed hard, and Dunn put through his own goal, whilst Geary and Williams added further points for Everton. McMillian put on another, and Everton won somewhat easily. Final score; Everton 5, Preston North End 2.


April 2, 1895. Yorkshire Herald.

A friendly match between these teams was played at Everton last night, for Kelso's benefit, Geary early scored for Everton, but Cunningham, after having hard lines on two occasions equalised and until the interval the game ruled slightly in favour of North End. Cain saved some rattling shots and Henderson and Barr both missed good chances. At half-time the score stood one each. Upon resuming play was even for a time, and then North End scored again by Smith, this giving them the lead. Then Everton pressed hard and Dunn put through his own goal, whilst Geary and Williams added further goals for Everton, the three goals being scored within five minutes. McMillan had another, and Everton won somewhat easily by four goals to North End two.



April 2, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

At Liverpool. Play started at 5.40. In the first half Everton scored soon after the start –Cunningham, however, equalising, and at half-time the score was 1 goal each. Following the change of ends the home side pressed at the outset; but the visitors raced away; and Smith gave then the lead. Then Dunn put the ball through his own goal. Geary added a third, and Williams a fourth. Results; Everton 4, Preston 2.



April 2 1895

A friendly match between Everton and Preston North End at Goodison Park last Evening for the benefit of Robert Kelso, was has been a regular member of the League team for the pass four seasons. Unfortunately much of the interest was taken out of the match by the defeat which North End inflicted upon Everton in the final of the Lancashire Cup on Saturday, and but for the popularity of the beneficiary himself, the attendance would probably have been much smaller than it was. At the outset there could not have been more than 2,000 person present, but this number was subsequently increased to 3,000. Several changes were noticeable in the Everton team, but on the North End side the only Alterations was the substitution of Grier for Sharp and Pinnell for Trainor, the players facing in the following order: - Preston North End: - Pinnell: - Goal, Dunna and Holmes, backs, Grier, Saunders and Orr, halfbacks, Henderson, Barr Smith, Cunningham, and Blyth, forwards. Everton: - Cain goals, Kelso, and McDonald backs, Boyle (captains), Elliott, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams, Bell, Hill, McMillan Geary, forwards. Within a minute from the start, Geary forcing a corner of Dunn, placed the ball right under the crossbar, whence it was headed passed by Pinnel, Smith was soon prominent with a fine dribble, but before he could get in a shot Cain ran out to clear and found himself floored along with Smith. A clearance was, however, effected, and for some time the play ruled even, Cain having to save one particularly fine shot from Cunningham. By means of good work on the part of the Everton right wing the North End was several times placed in danger. Williams being applauded for severely capital centre. At length Smith neatly took the ball up the field and passed to Cunningham who equalised with a good shot. Everton now hotly assailed Pinnel's charge, seldom however giving that player anything to do owing to the sound defence of Dunn and Holmes. A scrimmage in front of the Everton goal, ended in Barr having a clear opening, but he missed, and Williams soon afterwards put in a splendid shot at the end, which just shaved the crossbar. A mistake by McDonald let in Henderson, who missed an easy chance and at the North End goal Hill and Williams both made good attempts. Half time arrived with the score standing at one goal each.

Upon resuming, the Evertonians were the first to take up the attack, but Holden kicked away, and North End in a rush down the field were checked by Boyle. Dunn was conspicuous at the other end, and Sanders sending well down Smith received, and scored a second goal for the North Enders thus giving them the lead. Following this reverse, the Evertonians attacked in a spirited manner and forced, a corner, the ball, however being sent over the line by Hill. A fine kick to the visitors was the next item Holmes sending wide of the post. Everton raced away from the kick off and the Everton goal had a narrow escape, the ball being finally headed over the crossbar. North End were next on the aggressive, Sanders sending wide with a long shot, whilst another attack on the visiting goal was on led by Geary being at fault with his final effort. A moment later however, Elliott send in from far range, and Dunn, in attempting to clear, put the ball through his own goal. Immediately afterwards Gary tried a low shot, and Pinnel mulling a third goal resulted for Everton, williams putting on a fourth in the next minute. This somewhat unexpected success, put fresh vigour into the Evertonians and a series of sprinted attacks was made on the Preston citadel, which experienced many narrow escapes. After several pressure the opposing forwards broke away at the half way line Elliott intervened, and another onslaught was made on the visiting goal, but without result. The resuming play was of an uneven character and the final result was- Everton four goals, Preston North End two goals.


Evening Express, April 6, 1895

This match was played at Goodison Park , Liverpool, England and Scotland trying conclusions at Association football for the twenty-fourth time, the record standing-Scotland eleven wins, England six wins, and six drawn games; but, while the Northern Gountry possessed so considerable a lead, England had not lost since 1889, the improvement in the play of the Englishmen within the last ten seasons having constituted quite the feature of Association football within recent years. England, however, no doubt cwed something of their success of late to the fact that the Scottish Association declined to avail themselves of the services of Scotsmen filling en- gagements as professionals to English clubs. For this match, naturally, the selection of the two teams bad aroused much interest. England, owing to the crushing defeat of the amateurs at Nottingham iast week, decided to trust to a team composed of nine professionals and two amateurs, whilst Scotland made only two changes from the team which beat Ireland a fortnight gao. No changes, fortunately, had to be made on eitlier side, so that the teams lined up as follow .—-England: Goal, Sutcliffe; backs, Lodge and Crabtree half-backs, Needliam, Holt, and Reynolds forwards, Bassett, Blomer, Goodall, S. Smith, and Gosling. Scotland: Goal, M-Arthur backs, Drum- me nd and Doyle; lialf-backs, Simpson, Russell, and Gibson forwards, Waddell, Gulleeland, Oswald, M'Pherson, aud Tambie. Naturally, great prepara- tions had made for the game, and certainly Goodison Park , although visited by nearly 30,000 people, and possibly by more, was by no means in- conveniently crowded. Indeed, to judge by appear- ance, another 10,000 people could have reasonably been accommodated. During the week the weather in Liverpool had been extremely favourable, but, un- fort t nately, consider ible rain fell on Friday night, and the field of play was consequently rather heavy. The wind blew strongly from the west, but otherwise the conditions were fa/ourable. The Englishmen were strong favourites, but tt was generally thought that the slightly heavy ground would be an advantage to Scotland. The Englishmen entered the field punc- tuallv at four o'clock, but there was considerable delay before the Scotsmen followed, and it was 4.15 before the game commenced. Oswald won the tcss, and played with the wind, which helped them considerably. Goodall kicked off, but Lambie and M'Pherson broke away, and the ball was sent dan- gerously near the English goal, but, Lodge keep- ing the Scotch foiwards oft, the ball rolled over the line. Next Gosling and Smith dribbled down and forced a corner from Scotland, but nothing came of it, and a minute later Lodge blundered, and the Scotsmen were dangerous, but the Cantab retrieved himfeelf, and twice England worked their way down th3 ground, Reynolds each time kicking very wildly. Tin English forwards showed excellent combination, but for the first ten minutes their attacks sadly lc eked finish. Goileland next ran down finely and centred, but Lodge saved brilliantly. Smith then headed a run down and centred finely, an exciting "bnlly" occurring in front of the Scottish goal, Gib- son clearing when Doyle and Druminonii were hard pressed. A few minutes later the Scottish goal had a very narrow escape, but Doyle and M'Arthur stopped shots by Goodall and Gosling. Directly afterwards and Lambie each nearly scored, Sutcliffe saving brilliantly. Osivald next kicked the ball into the net after an exciting rally, but was ntled off- side. Thie was a very lucky escape for England, and at the other end, hands being given against Russell the Scottish goal, Holt, took the kick cleverly, Blcmer scored for England within half an hour of the kick-off. England showed much the better form, and rejieatedly attacked, and one of these bursts ended in Goodall shooting close in. and although M'Arthur stopped the ball it rebounded off Gibson into the net, and thus in half an hour England were leading by two goals. The Scotsmen occasionally In oke away, but combination among the forwards was much lacking Gosling got tluougli at the othei end, and looked to have all excellent opening, but kicked wide. Play fell off somewhat after this, end as the first half drew to a close rain set in rather heavily as the wind fell. Lambie. and Waddell in turn made good shots at the English goal, but each time Sutcliffe saved in brilliant style. Just- before the change of ends Smith kicked a third goal for Englanù with a hard side shot. Half-time score: England-3 goals. Scotland--Nil. Nothing further was scored in the second half.



April 6 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

In front of 35,000 spectators England winning 3 goals to nil.



April 8 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The return League engagement between these clubs was played last evening at Goodison Park before about 8,000 spectators. The Wanderers won the toss and were assisted by a stiffish breeze, which blew from goal to goal. The Everton forwards were the first to get away, but they met stern defenders in Bunch and Dunn, and following an incursion in the home left, in which J.Bell was a conspicuous party, Latta sent over to Milward, who had a fair chance, but shot high over the bar. The play had no sooner been resumed that Geary executed some smart work in the centre, and put in a swift shot along the ground, which, however, went slightly wide of the post. Latta placed well from a corner, which the right back fortunately headed away, and then the wolves right wing pair got alone down, and Black sent in a high dropping shot, which Hillman saved at the expense of a corner. A moment later Bunch returned, and his attempts struck the crossbar, and for a few minutes the Everton defence was severely tested by severe shots, being rushed in, but they were wide of the mark. Following this the respective forwards put in some grand combined play, and the ball travelled speedily from end to end. Hillman was penalised for overstepping his lines, and Malpass took the free kick close in. the ball was returned to him, and shot into the net. From the centre kick the Evertonians got in good positions, and Bell shot in a beauty which Hassall soley met, and the ball travelled quickly to the other end, where Black seemed to have a clear course when Boyle nipped in, Latta raced nicely down the right and forced a fruitless corner, and following a spell of even play, Griffins broke away and after beating Kelso had particularly no opponents but shot wide. Directly afterward Latta and Bell completely bothered Fleming and Dunn and scoring seemed a certainly, when Latta put the ball outside the net. A corner kick came to nothing, and then Geary had a shot, but it went high, and on Nurse being fouled for tipping Chadwick, a shape scrimmage in front of goal terminated in Milward equalising with a smart overhead kick. The game was delayed for some minutes, owing to Holt colliding with an opponent, but on getting again, Milward and Chadwick created a little diversion on the left, and the latter sent in a shot which fell a trifle short. Bell and Geary worked nicely down and the former raced between the backs, but finished with a weak attempt when a clear course was open. Hands against holt was taken by Malpass, but Wykes put the ball outside, and at the other end Parry and Kelso placed the ball nicely into goal, and Latta got just a little too much screw on his final effort. Immediately following Wykes sent in a beautful cross shot, and the Everton god had a miraculous escape, as Hillman only parially meet the ball and conceded a corner. Chadwick put the ball through, but was ruled offside. Griffins executed some tricky play, and when steadying for a shot in good position, Parry cleverly saved and placed well down the field. This brought about the interval, with the score standing-Everton 1 goal, Wolves 1 goal. The second half opened, with an attack on the Wolves goal, and Stewart placed the ball into Hassell's hands, but he had no difficulty in clearing. Following some pretty work between Wykes Black, and J.Bell, Parry was beaten, but quickly recovered himself, and then followed a marvelous save by Hillman, who appealed to have no chance with a stringing shot from Griffin-a feat which the crowd acknowledged with renewed cheering. From a goalkick at the Wanderers end, Boyle met the ball and ran down, and Bell getting it with a host of opponents round him, screwed into the net, that giving his side the lead. A minute later Chadwick all but scored, and then Bell followed with a beauty, which just skimmed the bar. A trio of corners fell to Everton, and from the third following a scrimmage in goal. Malpass cleared, but Stewart returned the ball, and Bell finished up badly with a shot high over the bar, but directly afterwards had a narrow squeak on attempting to head into goal. A smart run down to the Everton end was followed by a quick return by bell and Latta, and for a lengthy period the play located in the Wolves quarters. Milward and Chadwick put in some clever work, but Bunch and Dunn were capable defenders under pressure, and Hassell in goal kept out several clever shot. The closing stages of play were in favour of Everton, but the finalist touches were very feeble, and as nothing further was scored, Everton won by 2 goals to 1. Teams as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Latta, Bell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Hasell goal, Bunch, and Dunn backs, Nurse, Malpass, and Fleming, halfbacks, Wykes, Black, Bell, Edge, and Griffin forwards. The game, which under ordinary circumstances should have proved a good thing for Everton, turned out to be a more evenly contested affair then supposed. The Wolves played with tremtremous stubbornness, and fought every inch of way, and by adopting the swinging open game jeopardized the Everton goal, rather oftener than the home supporters wished to see. In the second portion the home team had much the advantage, and pressure continuously, but a went of cohesion among the forwards, opposed by determined and unflinishing back play, allowed no further scoring to any extent.



April 9, 1895. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Goodison Park, Liverpool, before 8,000 spectators. Play started at 5.35, Everton playing against the sun. The game opened even, but after twenty minutes' play Hillman was penalised, and Wylies scored for the Wanderers. Following this Everton went away strongly, but for a little time faulty shooting spoiled their efforts. Ultimately, however, Milward equalised with an overhead shot, and nothing further was done up to the interval. On resuming Everton, with the wind in their favour, pressed, and after several attempts, Bell scored a grand goal, and put the home side ahead. Still attacking the visitors' goal had narrowly escapes, but they, nevertheless, defended well. By this time the attendance had increased to 10,000, the play being brimful of excitement; but nothing further was scored, and Everton won a vigorously-contested game by 2 goals to 1.



April 13, 1895. The Isle of Man Times.

The Isle of Man steam packet co, will run a special day excursion to Liverpool on Easter Monday, leaving Douglas at 1.a.m and 9 a.m. and returning from Liverpool at 12 midnight. Passengers will thus have an opportunity of witnessing the football match between Everton against Liverpool. There will also be an excursion round the Island, leaving Douglas at 10.a.m.



April 13 1895. The Liverpool mercury.

This return fixture between these clubs was decided yesterday at Goodison park, before 10,000 spectators. The first game at Glasgow on September 27 was won in easy fashion by Everton who then pulled off the engagement by 4 goals to nil, but the teams chosen for duty yesterday, could not be depended upon to repeat the performance. The Rangers were also not fully represented, four of the regular first team men bring absent. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Cain, goal, Adams (captain), and Ariidge, backs, Kelso, Elliott, and Crawford halfbacks, Storrier, Clarke, Geary, McMillan, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Haddow, goal, Smith (n), and Gibson, backs, Barker, Jackson, and Mitchell, halfbacks, Cowan, McCreadie, Mackay, Boyd, and Smith, forwards.

Mackay opened the play for the Rangers, and the early stages were contested in the Everton half, Cowan and Mccreadie put in effective work on the right, and, following a sustained pressure, Jackson shot in hard to Cain, who was somewhat fortunate in clearing at the expense of a corner. Arridge got the ball away, and Milward sprinted nicely down but not will back was not well backed up, and on the Rangers again attacking Smith shied from a long range and Cain mulled badly, thus giving the visiting their point seven minutes from the start of play. Getting to work again Clarke made a fair attempt to equalised but Haddow was ends, and the Scotchs right got away and fairly bothered the home defence. The attack onslaught in Smith putting the ball over the bar-a near thing-and then from a free kick the Everton van got away, but met stern defences in Gibson, and Smith and following some smart halfbacks play by Mitchell and Jackson Smith sent in a beautiful low shot, which Cain very cleverly saved. A moment later Maskey drove strongly to the net, and Cain again effected a grand save, but at the expense of a corner, and the ball was well placed to Boyd, who headed through, thus scoring the second point about a quarter of an hour from the start. Play tamed down somewhat and after a few minutes stay in the Scotch half, the Rangers forwards gave a nice expection of the short passing game, the right wing pair being especially prominent. The kicks among the backs were frequent, and the Evertonians were distinctly fortunate in not further succumbing. Eventually Crawford effected a relief, and placed the ball well down, and Clarke lay in good position, but shot feebly in Haddow's hands. A moment later Geary headed over the bar, and the corner kick was astely worked away by Smith and Boyd. Measly tried a long shot, which however, went wide. Attempts by Smith, Boyd, and Jackson failed to take effect, and after a long pressure Storrier broke away on the left, but finished badly. A smart run to the other end resulted in Arridge concluding a corner, and then Mackay just missed a certainly from a capital centre by barker, Storrier, Clarke, and Geary had the better of a bout with Mitchell, and Gibson, but the finishing touches were of a very feeable character. After Smith had cleared strongly from Milward, Geary had the ball and made a clear course, but eventually put it wide of the net. Subsequently play up to half time was of an even character, and no further scoring taking place, the Rangers led by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Geary and Storrier changed places, and for some time the change was effective. Clarke missed a good chance, and then the Rangers broke away, and following a smart raid on Cain's charge Mackay put the ball into the net. A corner at the other end was safely got away, and the Scotch quintets put in some grand combined play. Jackson tried a shot from a long range but it went over the bar. McMiillan and Storrier in turn put in well directed shots, which Haddow capitally attended to. Cain conceded a corner as the result of an attack by McCreadie, and Cowan, and after Boyd had headed towards the net, a stiff scrimmage followed, and a fourth goal was notched against Everton. Following this point the home players showed up strongly, but faile3d when they reached close quarters. Smith was brimful of recourse at full back, and often not the ball away under the most unlacked for conditions. The remaining play was evenly distributed, and as no further points were scored, the Rangers won a fair game by 4 goals to nil.


April 14, 1895. Yorkshire Herald.

At Goodison Park, before a thousand spectators. Both teams were short of their regular players. The visitors had much the best of the opening exchanges, and through J. Goodall were the first to score after 25 minutes play. Geary a moment later equalised, and the game was very exciting, both goals having very narrow escapes. Afterwards Everton attacked strongly, though without success. Score at half time; - one goal each. On resuming play ruled even for some time until Bloomer, scoring an easy goal, placed his side ahead. Everton made desperate efforts to draw level, but Derby's defence was of a most stubborn description. At last Bell got a magnificent shot, and from Robinson's save Milward headed in. Bloomer finding a clear opening ran clean through and scored. Nothing more was scored. Result –Derby 3 goals to Everton 2.


Aril 15 1895. The Liverpool mercury

This the last of the season's League engagements at Goodison road, was brought off on Saturday. The first engagements at Derby resulted in a draw, and the recent improvement in the team, which included J.Goodall and Bloomer, who were so successful in the international game on the previous Saturday, gave the Derby players every confidence. The Evertonians were not strongly reprersentive, as will be seen from the following list of the players: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Kelso, and Arridge, backs, Boyle (captain), Elliott, Stewart, halfbacks, Williams, Bell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Derby County: - Robinson, goal, Methven, and Leiper, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), and Steley halfbacks, Hamilton, Bloomer, Goodall (j), McMillan and Paul forwards. Derby County opened the play, and the early stages were favorable to the visitors. McMillan sent in a sharp, low shot, which Hillman cleverly attended to and, after a short visit to the County half, Paul and McMillan made the running on the left, and the first named put in a well directed shot, but Hillman was on the alert, and safety cleared. From a corner of the other end Geary headed over the bar, and after Cox had checked a further movement Stewart sent in a capital shot, which Robinson fisted strongly away. Methven a moment later robbed Chadwick and Milward and then following some pretty combination among the County forwards, the final efforts bring Hillman, who threw strong away. Staley sent in a long shot, which gave Hillman no difficulty and then Bell, Geary, and Chadwick worked well down, and from a throw in by Stewart, Chadwick levelled a shot, which Leiper was fortunate in clearing. Geary was at fault, and then the County forwards broke off, J.Goodall sent in a shot, which Hillman, cleared but the ball was immediately sent back by Bloomer and from a dangerous tussle in the goalmouth, the Everton custodian partially saved, and Arridge whipped in and cleared. Following this the visitors kept up a strong pressure until Chadwick and Milward raced away but the final effort went high over the crossbar. Getting to work again the Derby forwards broke clean away, and then followed an anxious time to the Everton defences. Hamilton eventually out the ball outside –a close shave. Returning again Stewart robbed Hamilton at critical moments but Bloomer fastened on the ball and struck the bar, and meeting the rebound headed cleverly to the net where Hillman ably saved at the expense of a corner. The ball was worked away, and Bell by a capital individual effort, raced down and finished up with a very near attempt at scoring but a moment later play was at the other end, and J.Goodall scored the first goal in good style. Almost immediately Milward and Chadwick took down, and gave Geary a chance, which he utilised fully. After a short visit to the other end, Geary made headway, and putting on the finishing touch when Robinson ran out and charged down the attempt. Following this, Arridge and Kelso had plenty of work to do, and it was done well. Hillman ran out, and Bloomer shot, and the danger was great, as he failed to get the ball, but Arridge fortunately defended well, and play was quickly at the other end, where Williams tested Robinson, who however, had no difficulty in attempting to the shot. A visit to Hillman resulted in McMillan shooting in, but unsuccessfully, and then Chadwick and Bell worked cleverly together, and Geary shot in, Robinson stopping the ball out of goal. Arridge checked a run on the right, and a corner was forced of Methven, but it was safely got away. Bell put in a spinking shot from long range, which Robinson saved nicely, and then followed some good work by Cox Bloomer, and Hamilton, but when in close quarters Arridge was successful in tackling and clearing the danger. Bell beat Sateley, but Leiper kicked outside, and then followed an exciting scrimmage in front of the Derby Goal, where Robinson fisted out in quick succession three well directed efforts and Bell finally put the ball outside. The interval was now announced leaving the score-Everton 1 goal Derby County 1 goal.

Bell restarted and the first incident of note was a nice run down by J.Goodall and a pass to Paul, who in the final effort put the ball wide. After a spell of even play about the centre, Bloomer beat Arridge and shot slightly wide of the net and from the goal kick, Chadwick and Milward got away, only to find a capable defender in Methven. The ball was cleverely worked down by Paul and McMillan and the latter shot in strongly only to find his attempt foiled by Arridge. Coming again Bloomer ran the ball down, and raced between the two backs and sent in a slow shot, which Hillman made no attempt to save. The next item was a foul close to the home goal, but Williams sent the ball down after Kelso had saved from Bloomer. The Derby forwards at this juncture went in for swinging the ball across from wing to wing, and this, coupled with weak display of the opposing men, frequently have then a strong position in the field. Kelso prominent in running strong rushes and at length Bell shot in, and Robinson played the ball but did not clear, and in Milward racing up headed into the net thus equalising. This point gives vigour into the play of the Evertonians, who at once commenced to press in earnest fashion. Milward centred grandly, as also did Williams, on the right but both efforts were met by Leiper, and cleared. A moment later Chadwick struck the crossbar and then Milward just missed scoring, after cleverely defeating Cox, and methven. At the other end Hillman saved from Goodall, and Hamilton in quick succession, and Bell ran down and Milward missed the pass. Robinson fisted out a shot from Bell, and then Bloomer got clean away from midfield, and getting between the backs had no difficulty in beating Hillman thus giving his side the lead four minutes from time. The closing stages of play were evenly contested and on nothing further were scored, Derby County won a hard game by 3 goals to 2.



April 15 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton commenced last week's campaign none to well, as the Wolves ran them to a goal on Monday evening in their return League engagement. Right through the proceeding there was scarely an item of interest, and the team showed evidence of deterioration; indeed since the game with the North End at Blackburn, when the Lancashire Cup changed hands, the exposition, has been only of a moderate description. True they won on Monday, but here was an opportunity lost of establishing themselves by increasing their goal average. On Good Friday their cut a sorry figure against the Glasgow Rangers. Only a moderate team was chosen, and we had the result demonstrated in no uncertain fashion. Had a stronger team been requisitioned, there would undoubtedly have been a splendid-contested game, as the Rangers though short of four of the most capable exponents was in great stride. But how are we to account for the failure of the team on Saturday against Derby County ? Preston North End have in previous seasons been the team which, has caused the Evertonians most anxiety, but they now give place to Derby County, who have taken three points out of Everton in the League competition and moreover they hold the honour of being the only club that has won a League game on the Everton ground. Fortune has not smiled on the Evertonians during holidays this season, for three out of five losses have been sustained during New year's and Easter weeks. Satruday's game was somewhat disappointing, both from a football and a spectators point of view. It opened brisky enough, and during the early stages there were several attractive passage, but after the first goal had been scored a cloud seemed to come over the whole proceeding, and rarely afterward did the play reach a high standard of excellence. Taking a general view of the game, the County had just a little in hand, and much of their well earned success was due to the cleverness of their centre forward. It is a difficult task to individually account for the weak display of the Everton men, for with the exception of the backs and goalkeepers the whole team were far below their usual standard. It was mainly in the halfback departments that the weakness was most notable, and this being so the absence of Holt was very obvious. Elliott, who filled his place, worked hard, but he is not nearly so quick, nor of any time as effective, as England's centre half. Boyle and Stewart were slow, and this defeat was once apparent, as the opposing forwards were very speedy. The forwards appeared to have a minimum of method. In their passing, and seemed to put no nerve at all into their work, except perhaps for a few minutes after Derby County had scored their first goal, and on each occasion were they rewarded with success. Had they only stuck hard at their work after scoring into second time they would have had a good stance of pulling the game out of the fire. However, they never looked like a winning team, and the County men had certainly more of the game during the first hour. Chadwick had very hard luck with two beautiful shots, the crossbar on each occasion, being struck, and Bell also several times narrowly missed scoring with fine attempts. A great deal of the credit for the second goal was undoubtedly due to Bell, for it was a magnificent low shot by that player which, Robinson could not get properly away that the enabled Milward to rush up and head it through. Geary was of colour, but there is no doubt that he was doubt that he was handicapped in a great degree by the unfair treatment of the spectators. He certainly made unfortunate slipe in the early part of the game, but spectators should remember that a man's play is not likely to improve under the inference of derisive and insulting shouts, and at any rate they should refrain from sterling their criticism too loudly. During the last quarter of an hour he was hurt, and had no opportunity of retrieving himself. Arridge played an excellent game at full back, his speed helping him considerably against the very fast pair that opposed him. His kicking was also very clean, and on one occasion he saved an almost downfall of the Everton goal when Hillman had fallen, by rushing up and kicking clear just as Bloomer was about to get his toe to the ball. Kelso also played a good game, and Hillman (in goal) was very safe, but how he managed to let the second goal, a very soft one-past him in a wonder. He evidently though the ball was going outside the post, as he made no attempt to save, and seemed very disgusted when he found that his opponents had notched a point.

The Derby forwards played a very good game, their passing being much superior to this deplayed by the Everton front rank, but there is no doubt that their strength was centred in J.Goodall and Bloomer. The former was a towel of strength in himself, and his passing was always well judged and sound. The goal he scored was a Beauty being placed right to the corner of the net, quite out of Hillman's reach. The halfbacks were a very fair lot, and the right back was the pick of the two. Leiper and Methven played well, and were usually quite capable of coming with the efforts of the Everton forwards. The display of Robinson in goal, was perhaps most unexpected to the Everton spectators. Nothing seemed to come across to him, and the way he once saved three times, shot after shot was simply marvellous. He had some very difficult ones to deal with but Chadwick and Bell, and he came through in a lightly satisfactory manner. The last match of the season on the Goodison Park ground will take place on April 30, and as Aston Villa are the visitors, the venue will undoubtedly he well supported.



April 16 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly was played at Anfield in splendid weather, before 12,000 spectators yesterday. Ross scored for Liverpool but Hartley immediately afterwards threaded his way through the opposing ranks and equalised. At the interval the score were evens, and the second half, was fiercely contested the advantage resting with Everton, who once got the ball past Whitehead, but had the point disallowed. Result Everton 1 goal, Liverpool 1 goal. Teams: - Liverpool: - Whitehead, goal, Hannah (a) (captain), and Dunlop backs, McQueen (m), Hughes and McLeod (d), halfbacks, McQueen (h), Drummond Becton, Ross, and Kerr (n) forwards. Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Parry backs, Boyle (captain), Storrier, and Stewart. Halfbacks, Williams (w), Bell, Hartley, Elliott, and Milward forwards.



April 18, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

Everton, as champions, played the Rest of the Combination, last evening, at Liverpool. During the first half Everton had the best of the game, and Reay scored a good goal. The Rest attacked at intervals, but the defence was safe, and half-time found Everton leading by 1 goal to 0. Reay put on a second soon after resuming, the visitors replying. McMillian added a third for Everton, who eventually won by 3 goals to 2.



April 19 1895. The Liverpool mercury

These teams met at Goodison Park last evening before a poor attendance. The visitors opened play, and the early stages were not of a very attractive character. The home players absequently had the better of matters and Reay scored the only point in the first portion of the game. Restarting the Everton forwards got under weigh again and following good play by Arridge, Reay took the ball and notched the second goal. Fish then put on a goal for the ‘'Rest;'' This was followed by a third from McMillan. A strong attack on Everton's charge was recalled by Adams, but on coming again. Fish gave completely a chance, which was utlised fully, and this being the last point record. Everton won a fair game by 3 goals to 2. Teams: - Everton: - Cook, goals, Adams (captain), and Arrdiges backs, Walker, Elliott Crawford, halfbacks, Reay (h), Clarke, Hill, McMillan, and Handford, forwards. Rest of the Combination: - Pinnell (Preston) goal, Walton (Blackburn Rovers), and Dryer (Manchester City), backs, Grier (Preston), Weir (Rawtenstall), and Taylor (Burnley) halfbacks, Hargreaves (Barnsley), Soence (Bolton), Fish (Darwin), Cumpsty (Darwin), and Kirkham (Oswaldwistle), forwards.


April 20, 1895. The Wrexham Advertiser.

Played at Llandudno on Monday before a large crowd. The swifts scored soon after the start, and led at the interval by one goal to nil. The home team again scored, and Everton got one from a corner. The Swifts thus won by two goals to one.



April 22, 1895. Yorkshire Herald.

The final League match of the season between the above teams was played at Sunderland, before about 18,000 spectators drawn from all parts of the north. Everton won the toss, but Sunderland were the first to put on pressure, and for a considerable time the game was even, though Everton's defence was more frequently tested. Holt was temperately injured. At length McCreadie scored for Sunderland from a free kick in the goalmouth. Interval score –Sunderland one goal to Everton nil. On resuming both ends were visited in turn, and McReadie for Sunderland just shot wide. Bell did ditto at the other end. After this both sides registered a goal, but Everton, although they made a good attempt, were unable to equalise, and the game ended as follows: - Sunderland, two goals; Everton, one goal.



April 22 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This match drew a gate of some 20,000 spectators at Sunderland. The teams were not at their best, and though Everton made but a poor show against Derby County, the interest in the proceedings was not in the least discounted. The gates was thrown open two hours before the time of starting and at four o'clock the teams turned out as follows : - Everton: - Hillman, goals, Kelso, and Arridge, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, McNeil, and Gow, backs, Dunlop, McCreadie, and Johnston, halfbacks, Gillespie, Harvey, Campbell, Miller, and Hannah forwards. Boyle won the choice of ends, and his side played with the sun behind them. Campbell opened the game, and broke clean away, but being pressed by Holt, sent in a long shot, which Hillman had no difficulty in clearing, and on returning again the ball was driven over the line. From the goal kick Hartley and Bell executed some fine touches, but the dasting effort from the latter unfortunately went wide. Then followed a sustained attack on the Everton line. Holt was frequently prominent both in tackling, and holding the ball away, but eventually Johnston placed it nicely to Harvey, who in turn parted to Hannah, with the result that Both Stewart and Arridge were beaten, and the outside man sent in a shot which sailed high over the bar. Coming again, Hannah forced a corner off Stewart, and McCreadie sent in a grand low shot which, Hillman attended to in good fashion. At length Williams and Bell broke the monotony of pressure on their defence, and raced smartly down the right, and though McCreadie temporarily checked then, Bell recovered and sent across to Milward, who levelled a hard shot at Doig, which was only cleared at the expense of a corner. Their eventually cleared, and then Gillespie and Miller took up the running only to find themselves well tackled by Kelso, but Dunlop immediately afterwards fastened on the ball and shot in strongly along the ground and it seemed to be out of the reach of Hillman, who however, threw himself across the goalmouth and cleverly scrooped the ball away, conceding a corner, which, gave the Wearsiders no advantage, for play was quickly at the other end, where Bell was fouled by Johnston near goal, and from the free kick, Chadwick shot high over the bar. Following that the Sunderland forwards worked nicely together, and after Hillman had safely got away a hard shot from Miller he was compelled to run out to save from Hannah, who had cleverly eluded Stewart and Arridge. Then Following a smart run down by Chadwick and Milward, and the ball was sent across to Bell who drove it into the net, but the referee ruled the point offside. The play was quickly at the other end, and Miller had a clear course, but he too was pulled up for offside. Harvey fouled Stewart, and from the kick the Evertonians took up a good position, and Boyle levelled a shot at Doig's charge but the ball rebounded from the bar and the home forwards worked grandly down, Hannah sending in a stinging shot, which Hillman saved by throwing itself full length at the ball. Harvey gave the knee to Holt, and the play was suspended for a few minutes, but on resuming Milward and Chadwick had the better of the tussle with Johnston and Gow, and the outsider shot in strongly to Doig, who sent the attempt well and cleared, Campbell was pulled up for offside play and a few minutes later he shot into the net, but he was again palpably offside and the point was disallowed. During the next few minutes, Hillman had a busy experience but he met every effort, and finally punted down to Williams, who raced along and gave Bell a good chance to score, but he shot wide. In close following Hannah sent in a long high shot, which Hillman attended to, and on Sunderland getting under weigh again Holt fouled Miller, when close in, and the latter taking the kick tipped the ball to McCreadie, who shot strongly into the net, thus scoring the first goal 35 minutes from the commencement of play. Holt was again at fault and McNeil placed the ball nicely up to Harvey, who shot over the bar. From a corner off Stewart, Miller put in a beautiful oblique shot, which appeared to be going under the bar, when Hillman tripped it over-a grand save. A moment later Hartley ran down the centre, and after both Chadwick and Bell had supplemented Williams sent in a beauty, but Doig, like Hillman was in his best mood. Hartley next tested the Sunderland custodian, who fisted clear, and then Bell sent in a beauty, which just missed the mark. Nothing further was scored up to half time, when Sunderland had the lead of a goal to nil.

On resuming the play was of an even character and for the first ten minutes there was little between the teams. Kelso and Arridge the former especially, put in good defensive work. A couple of corners of Stewart and Arridge was safely got away, and at the other end, Williams had a good chance but shot badly, Hartley got away after assistance from Chadwick and bell, and getting the ball back again from the latter parted to Chadwick, who equalised with a long low shot ten minutes after resuming play. Then Bell was pulled up for offside when making straight for goal. The Evertonians at this juncture looked like taking the lead when Gow kicked powerfully away, and Campbell lying well up scored a quarter of an hour off time. The remainder of the game was evenly contested and nothing further was scored. Sunderland won a hard game by 2 goals to 1.



April 22 1895. The Liverpool mercury

Played at Goodison Park.

Everton Team: - Williams, goal, Adams, and McDonald, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Crawford, halfbacks, Reay, Clarke, Hill, Murray, and Handford, forwards.



April 22 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The Everton team journeyed to Durham on Friday last, and spent a sound a quiet evening in the old cathedral town, competing the journey to Sunderland on the Saturday afternoon. Despite the chances to obtaining the League championship there was no lack of interest on the part of the Wearsiders, and in addition to the support of the immediate district there were numerous excursions into the town, and early in the afternoon the streets were thronged. Whatever doubts were entertained as to a loss on the gate due to the postponements of the fixture were instantly dispelled, for on arrival at the ground an hour before the start, it appeared well packed, and at four o'clock when the teams came onto the field, its capacity was taxed to the utmost and late arrivals had a very poor chance of witnessing the game with say degree of comfort. The Evertonians had no special training for the encounter, but the Sunderland men were determined to win the championship by points, and spent the week in strict training at Dean Holmes. Wilson and Scott were unable to take part in the game owing to injuries received at Burnley, and though Parry made the journey with the Everton men he was not quite up to the mark, and it was decided at the last moment to plat Arridge. The play opened very brisky, and from start to finish there was scarely an infication of slackening of speed. During the first few minutes the Wearsiders had a little in in hand, as far as the movemoves of play was concerned, but they found in Hillman and Kelso a pair of most capable defenders, and, strive as they would, Sunderland efforts were most ably met. The Everton forwards line was some time in getting into its proper stride, but after the first quarter of an hour the teams were on something like an equality, and up to the close of the game the issue was trembling in the balance. The Evertonians were distinctly unfortunate is being robbed of what appended to be a legitimate goal in the first minutes of play, and most probably the ‘'first blood'' would have had some bearing on the subsequently play of the visitors. After the first goal was scored against them, however, they paled slightly until Chadwick equalised, and from this point to the close, the spectators were kept at a high pitch of excitement. There was little to chose between the forwards. The Sunderland van combined slightly better than the opposing line, which, however, made up the deficiency by better individual efforts. The home forwards lost no opportunity of shooting what any bars opening was presented, and one feature of the attack was the fine work of Hannah who rarely shot wide of the mark, and with Harvey proved the more resourceful wing. Had Campbell's special mission been to just keep within the offside limit he performed his work to a nicely, but when the whole line got in working order he kept his wings well employed. McCreadie played a good centre, halfback game, as also did Dunlop, and both McNeil and Gow were always safe. Doig kept out some well directed shots, and the one that beat him, gave him very little adopt to clear. Coming to the Everton forwards, as above stated, they were very good individually and at times their passing was not one whit behind that displayed by their opponents but there were coursions, when they gave the opposing halves every opportunity of intercepting their passes, and these invariably led to their opponents getting frequently on good portions. Chadwick was the most effective of the line and Bell ran a close second, while Hartley did well in the centre. The halfbacks play was not up to the usual standard. Holt was hurt early on, and was of very little assistance to his side afterwards. Stewart preferment were fair, but Boyle played a steady all round game, and experience the worst of ill luck in case of his attempts at scoring, when the ball struck the crossbar altogether out of the reach of the custodian. Both Kelso and Arridge were crippled the former in the first ten minutes, and the latter close upon the second half of play. And the way in which, these two managed to keep their charge intact under such conditions was simply marvelous. The feature of the game was the magnificent display of the goalkeeper by Hillman who undoubtedly saved his side from a heavy defeat. His performance was of such a high-class character that it was even appreciated to the fullest by the home supporters. He had not the slightest chance of saving the two goals scored against him.


(Jones's Benefit).

April 24, 1895. Yorkshire Herald

Played at Ardwick last evening before 2,000 spectators. Everton had a mixed team. The City had by far the best of the game in the first half, and led at the interval by six goals to nothing. Resuming, play was well in favour of the home team, and three more goals were notched, the score at the finish reading: Manchester City nine goals; Everton, none.



April 25, 1895. The Yorkshire Herald

The last match in connection with the League championship was decided at Parry Barr yesterday. There was a good attendance. In the first half the Villa had some what the best of the game, and Athersmith scored. Then Hartley obtained a goal for Everton, and Smith got another for Villa. At half-time the game stood: Villa 2; Everton 1. In the second half the game was exceedingly well contested, and the shooting on each side was very good, but the goalkeeping was very brilliant, and scoring was a matter of the utmost difficulty. Cowan was hurt and had to retire, and Everton scored out of a scrimmage in the last few minutes. Result: A draw -2 each.


ASTON VILLA 2 EVERTON 2 (game 182)

April 25 1895. The Liverpool mercury

Great important was attached to this match, which took place at Parry Barr yesterday, as it was the first opportunity the Villa supporters had of welcoming their favourites after winning the Association Cup at London on Saturday, and also on account of it being the last of the League games for this season. The piquancy of the contest however, was robbed by Everton's poor form of late, especially their two loses in the competition, which robbed them of the chance of gaining the premier position. Both sides were fairly representative and opposed each other as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Parry backs, Boyle, (captain), Holt, and Elliott, halfbacks, Williams, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa: - Wilkes, goal, Spencer, and Elliott, backs, Reynold Cowan, and Russell, halfbacks, Athersmith, Chatt, Devey, Hodgetts, and Smith, forwards . Everton won the toss, and Devey kicked off in fine weather, before 5,000 spectators. Everton were the first to open out, causing Wilkes to kick out twice in quick succession, but Athersmith fed by Chatt, got away in a good canter, and tested Hillman to the utmost, but the latter duly attended to his work in his usual excellent fashion. Everton them, by the fine combination worked down, but Bell with a fairly good opening hesitated to shoot and Reynold nipped in and cleared. Keeping the ball well in possession, the visitors had much the best of the attack, but their shooting was of the weakest description. By a smart bit of trickery Reynolds placed the ball to Athersmith who in turn sent to Devey and ran on in front, and the Villa centre, seeing the splendid chance, drove forward to his confrere, who with a clear field sprinted down and shot past Hillman at close range. Again the blues had the command of the play, but were given few opportunist to shoot, and another speedy run by Smith brought about a dangerous looking foul close in the Everton goalmouth. Chatt just meeting the ball as it was going over the line. Immediately following this item, Hodgett put in a stinger, which Hillman ably dealt with, and then Bell and Williams failed when Holt opened up a splendid chance, by adopting the same tactics as before. Making the most of the speedy wingers the Villa broke away in spurts each of which, was a real source of danger, but fortunately, no further disaster occurred. Hartley neatly accepted a long lob by Boyle, but on the endeavoring to force his way through he was sandwiched by Elliott and Spencer and a golden chance slipped. Playing a far more combined game than their opponents, Everton pressed continually for a spell, Elliott conceding a corner right out of the mouth of goal, and which, almost was turned to account by Williams, Hartley falling in a strenuous attempt to bundle the goalkeeper. Twice in succession Smith's speed carried the game to the other end and on each occasion his final was a real teaser. Hillman saving the first by a super human effort. Poor shooting on the part of Williams was again a noticeable fault, followed by a scrimmage in the Villa goalmouth. Success at length came from some clever individual work, by Bell, who led up finely to his partner, and Spencer misjudging the latter's pass, Hartley dashed up and equalised. The same incident was repeated, only that Milward scored fastened of Hartley, but the referee for some reason disallowed this point, a very open kind of decision. A little looseness on the part of Adams let in Smith, who at once was off past every one but, Hillman, who ran out, and by a hugh kick sent the ball to the half way line, but Athersmith returned the venue to the previous spot, and from a long dropping centre right from the corner Smith headed a second goal just as the half time whistle blow. The restart was made with a full complemention on the part of the home club Russell having retired tem ninutes before the interval, with an injured ankle. Everton at once bore down, and Hartley missed by lifting the leather too high. The ball returned with complement with interest, and Hillman again showed his ability by dealing with two espress shots from Reynolds. First class play by the Everton defence eventually broke up the opponent assault, and Hartley Bell, and Chadwick getting possession made off for the other end, but Williams could not reach the leather in time. However, the visitors had somewhat the pull for a time, and Chadwick almost got through with a grounder when Spencer turned aside and gave a corner. Having the advantage of the wind, the Birmingham team were passing for some little while, but the referee did not compliment the poaching tricks of Smith, much to the disgust of the spectators. Russell in a charge with Boyle was again hurt and retired for good. Following a weak try by Athermith, Milward raced away finely past Reynolds and centred in his best style, but Bell, and Williams were charged off, and only a goalkick resulted. The Everton team then improved, and could do anything, with the ball but get it through their touchs quite nonplussing the Villa defence, and a squence of passing between Chadwick, Hartley, and Milward was the finest bit of work, during the match. Elliott dashed is, however, justed as Hartley was steadying for his shot, and again the ever warying charges of the play brought the location in the Everton goalmouth. Cowans failing to direct straight when in front of Hillman. The Everton forwards were quickly again in evidence and Bell obtained a clear field, but Wilkes rather luckily saved. The Villa custodian shone brilliantly in coping with two magnificent shots from bell, and Williams and generally the Liverpool players were slightly the better lot, but were opposed with a most sturdy defence. Such determined efforts could not for ever go without reward and after a fierce bombardment upon Wilkes charge Boyle judiciously returned the ball gently into the home quarters, and the whole of the front rank participated in obtaining the equalising point. From this point on the Evertonians were decidedly superior and deservedly came off with another point in their total. The game resulted in a draw of 2 goals each.



April 25, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

The Aston Villa and Everton played their return League match at Perry Barr, yesterday, before about 5,000 spectators. The visitors were well represented, but the Villa were without Welford, whose position at left back was taken by Elliott. Play throughout was very fast and exciting, but the Villa although handicapped during half the game by the absence of Russell, who sustained an injury to his left leg, had distinctly the best of the contest, and but for the brilliant custodianship of Hillman would have won. During the first half in particularly he saved many magnificent shots, and better goalkeeping has not been seen on the Villa ground this season. Despite even Hillman's superb defence, the Villa would in all probability have gained the victory but for Russell's accident. He was off the field for fully ten minutes in the first half, and though he pluckily resumed after the interval, he was quickly forced to retire, with the result that the Perry Barr team were a man short during the last half-hour and five minutes. They were consequently placed at great disadvantage, but nevertheless gave an excellent display, and prevented Everton from equalising until shortly before the conclusion. Some pretty forward work was witnessed on both sides, and Cowan, Reynolds, and Holt rendered a capital account of themselves at half-back. The Villa kicked off uphill, and Everton immediately attacked, but Holt shot over the bar. From the goal kick Devey made a capital run, but Parry neatly tackled him and kicked out. Everton then pressed, but Spencer cleared, and Athersmith raised the enthusiasm of the crowd by a fine run, and shot, which Hillman saved. The next moment Devey and Chatt put in some splendid work, and the Villa centre made a magnificent hot, but Hillman again saved brilliantly. After Everton had made an unsuccessful attempt to get through, Hodgetts and Smith ran the ball up, and the latter tried two shots, each of which were stopped by Hillman. Everton next attacked, but could not get through, and Athersmith secured a timely pass from Devey, and, sprinting past the backs, ran the ball right up to goal, and scored. It was a magnificent run, and was loudly cheered by the crowd. The game was fourteen minutes old when the Villa scored, and encouraged by their success, they returned to the attack, but found Hillman's defence excellent. Everton now became aggressive, and a free kick for hands near the Villa goal looked dangerous, but the ball went into the net without having touched a second player. After a couple of uneventful corner kicks had fallen to the visitors the Villa left broke away, but failed to score. The next feature of interest was a beautiful hot by Smith, but Hillman managed to tip the ball over the bar, and the corner which resulted was not turned to advantage. Some pretty passing by the Everton forwards enabled them a corner kick, but Cowan lifted the ball out of danger. The next moment Spencer was conspicuous for some determined tackling, and then a curious error was made by the referee, who mistook Wilkes for one of the backs, and penalised him for using his hands in a scrimmage around goal. On discovering his mistake, the referee threw the ball up, and the Villa got it away. Everton, however, returned to the attack and Spencer miskicking at a centre from Williams, Hartley was enabled to equalise. It should be mentioned, however, that during the last ten minutes the Villa were without the service3s of Russell, who had been hurt in a collision with an opponent. Another attack by Everton resulted in the ball going into the net, but the point was disallowed. With only ten men, the Villa made a fine run and, Athersmith centring well, Smith was enabled to place the ball Hillman. Directly afterwards the referee blew his whistle, and the Villa thus led at the interval by 2 goals to 1. Everton were the first to attack after the interval, but Hartley shot over the bar. The Villa, however, now had the wind behind them, whilst Russell was back in his place, and they were soon busy round the Everton goal; but Hillman was again on the alert, and prevented a shot from Reynolds taking effect. A moment later Reynolds again shot from a free kick, but Hillman once more prevented the ball from going through. A bully in front of the Villa goal was exciting, but the ball was got away, and then Smith was twice pulled up for being offside. Chadwick forced a corner-kick, but Everton failed to turn it to any advantage, and play as soon at the other end, but Hodgetts shot wide. Russell soon afterwards was hurt again, and had to retire, and Everton made a pretty combined run, but Hartley shot out. A nice run by the visitors was spoiled through Hartley handling the ball and a little later Elliott was cheered for checking a rush by Chadwick and Milward. A plucky run by Smith gave the Villa a corner kick, and the ball being placed Devey tried a grand shot, but it was just wide. Bell now got through and seemed certain to score, but Wilkes stopped the shot. After an unsuccessful attack by the Villa Everton gained a corner-kick, and succeeded in rushing a goal. With the score equal play become very exciting, but neither side scored again, and the match thus ended in a drew of 2 goals each. The following were the teams: - Aston Villa: - Wilkes, goal; Spencer, and Elliott, backs; Russell, Cowan and Reynolds, half-backs; Athersmith, and Chatty (right), Devey (centre), Hodgetts, and Smith (left wing), forwards. Everton; Hillman, goal; Adams, and Parry, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Elliott, half-backs; Williams, and Bell (right), Hartley (centre), Chadwick, and Milward (left wing); forwards.



April 26, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

At Leicester, yesterday, in showery weather. The Fosse team included several reserves. Play opened even, and proceed briskly. Chadwick scored for Everton, but the Fosse only relied with an off-side goal, and at half-time the visitors led by one goal to nothing. On resuming, the Fosse were outplayed at all points. Hartley and Chadwick both scored for Everton, soon after starting, and just before the whistle blew Chadwick and Bell added other points. Result; Everton 5, Leicester Fosse 0.


April 26, 1895. Yorkshire Herald

Stormy weather accompanied the playing of this match at Leicester last evening before 2,000 spectators. Both sides pressed strongly, but Everton had much the best of the game in the first part. Chadwick scored for Everton, who led by a goal to nothing crossing over. In the last part Hartley and Chadwick put on goals for Everton, soon after restarting, and Chadwick and Bell near the finish. Result Everton, five goals; Fosse, Nil.


April 26 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The Everton team left Birmingham yesterday morning after playing the final League match at Perry Bar, and travelled on to Leicester in fulfil a fixture with the second division League club. The weather all the morning was very well, rain coming down in torrent when we left the metropolis of the midlands, and the same state of things was prevailing on arriving at Leicester. The start did not take place until six o'clock. Teams: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Storrier halfbacks, Williams, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Leicester Fosse: - Thraves, goal, Smith and Thompson, backs, Gordon, Seymour, and Lord, halfbacks, Hill, Mcarthur, Miller, Skea, and Davies forwards. There was not a\ very great attendance when Hartley kicked off for Everton, and for the first few minutes play was located in front of Hillman. Everton however, soon got up on the left, and a sequence of passing between Chadwick and Milward, put Everton within shooting distance. Milward centred, and Bell shot into the custodian's hands, and Hartley also troubled the home goalkeeper. A few minutes later before Hillman was again called upon but he had no difficulty in clearing. The play was rather tame, however, and the homesters did the more serious part of the work. The home right, after a brief attack had been made on the Fosse goal raced away in capital style, and after a stiff struggle had ensued for possession the Leicester man obtained the upper hand, and Skea put in a good shot which Hillman, negotiated, after which the ball forced its way into the Everton net, but the referee promptly ruled it offside. The Fosse goal then underwent a stiff bombardment. Hartley had a clear shot for goal and sent the leather in, but the Custodian met the attack splendidly. Then Chadwick, and Milward had shots, the latter with a full hard kick striking underneath the crossbar, but the ball bounced into play again. The Everton then scored an offside goal. From this Fosse again obtained the upper hand and came exciting play ensued. Hillman's charge the goal having several narrow shaves. The ground was very slippery from the rain in the afternoon and the players had difficulty in keeping their feet. Hillman, on one occasion came to grief by slipping, and Adams brought off a capital save. Everton soon pressure and Chadwick at length managed to find an entrance for the ball into the net. Williams, who shot past the custodian being given offside, spoiled Bell them made one of his famous dribbles straight up the field but the fine movement. Everyone crossed over a goal to the good. Swoon after restarting Hartley got the best of a tussle on the touchline with Thompson, the Everton centre putting a second goal. Chadwick notched A third point a few minutes later. Bell going down first with the ball, which Hartley missing the mark. Following this McArthur put in a couple of fine shots to Hillman, which deserved to score, and then Chadwick put on a fourth for Everton. The home forwards put in some good play, but they could not beat the defence of the visitors. Bell put on a fifth, and shortly afterwards the same player was near scoring again. The whistle them went leaving Everton winners by 5 goals to nil.



April 29 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The last of the season's Saturday games on the Everton ground failed to attract more than 6,000 spectators. The teams were strong, and the four o'clock lined up as follows : - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Storrier, and Stewart, halfbacks, Milward, Bell Hartley, McMillan and Elliott, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Orgilvie, goal, Brandon, and Murray, backs, Forrest, Anderson, and Cleghorn, halfbacks, Haydock, Whitehead, Hargreaves, Killean, and Chippendale, forwards. As will be seen from the above list of players, the teams were well represented realised. At the start the Evertonians and the best of the play, and Bell early on put in a good shot which, unluckily for the side, struck the upright, and on several occasions the Everton forwards found the goal and a lively man in Orgilvie in charge of it. The play was not at all one sided, as the Rovers forwards pit in some good work, and the passing was fairly well distributed, and carried on to close quarters, when either backs of Hillmans chipped in and cleared. Still as far as the general run of the game went. Everton had the best of it, and the shooting was invariably true. Eventually Hartley opened the scoring for Everton after a smart run down by Milward. Following the point tactics were very effective and Forrest placed in his on equal terms from a penalty kick , and later on Hargreaves put them ahead with a good shot which, struck the upright and went through. The play up to the interval was even, without anything further being scored. and the Rovers led by 2 goals to 1.

The advantage was not held long for on resuming Bell placed his side on a level scoring within a minute, and after an even spell of play Boyle nicely placed the ball from a free kick and Hartley headed through. They was plenty of time for further developments, and the play certainly warranted further goal. They were not forthcoming, however, and Hartley scored again and Everton winning a fine game by 4 goals to two.



April 29 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton wound up their League season with a capital draw at Birmingham. Owing to the heavy rain the game was spoilt somewhat had nevertheless a finely contested match. If Everton had been given their justice they would have been returned victors. The visitors preesed much more continuously than their opponents, but dallied too long in front of goal; while their shots when propelled were of a weak end undecided character. The Villa seemed to rely more on their speedy wingers to obtain and make chances than to a properly laid out method of attack, and it was by a long forward pass that Athersmith outpaced Parry, and scored the first point. Russell one of the home halves was injured, and left the field during the greater portion of the second half, and his absence gave little scope to the Evertonians. Hillman as at Sunderland excelled himself in goal while Adams preformed in a style worthy of so great a player. Boyle, Holt, and Elliott all did good service, but the little man was the butt of all. For some unknown reason, but as a rule he was too clever for his heavier antagonists. The whole of the front rank worked harmoniously but Williams was dreadfully weak in shooting, while Bell did not put so much form behind the ball, as his usually does. Hartley was always on the level, for the opening, while Chadwick and Milward had a perfect understanding between each other.

The match as Leicester Fosse was also ruined by prolonged rain. The Everton players took matters quietly, and won in a most easy fashion by 5 goals to nil. The Blackburn Rovers, were the visitors to Goodison Park on Saturday, and the play warranted a better attendance's, which was only of a moderate character. The game partook more of the character of a League contest than the usual friendly and from the opening stage to the finish of the game there were scarily a dull moment. First the Rovers and then Everton would command the play, and this was repeated right through the proceeding and there was very little to chose between the teams. As any rate the score of 4 to 2 is an over estimated margin, as far as the general run of the game went. The Rovers forwards were in good trim, in last the whole team was a nice balanced one, and it was just as well that the Everton defence was in its best mood. Time after time did the visiting forwards work into nice position for scoring, only to find Adams Parry and Hillman successfully coping with their final efforts, and being backed up by a fine trio of halves. they played a most attractive game. Everton team was also in it best mood and are likely now to finish the season in brilliant fashion. Had the team been as effective during the past months the League championship would have been a certainty. On Saturday the combination of the forwards was pretty, and the most noticeable item was the accuracy in shooting. While all the lone played well. Bell stood out prominently from start to finish and displayed fine judgement and resource. At half back Storrier played the more telling game, and at full back, Parry and Adams, the latter especially, were capital defenders. The final tie in the Liverpool Senior Cup competition will take place this evening on the Goodison Park ground kick off six o'clock. The cup will be pressed by Alderman, Fred Smith. On the following evening Aston Villa will visit Everton and judging by the result last Wednesday's contest a good game may be expected.



April 30 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

There were about 4,000 spectators on the Goodison Park ground last evening, and while the Everton executive depended upon the resource of the combination team, the Liverpool turned out strongly, and included McLean one of their new recruits from St. Mirren. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Hillman goal, Adams (captain), and Arrdige backs Walker, Storrier, and Elliott haltbacks, Williams, Murray, Hill, McMillan and Handford forwards. Liverpool: - Whitehead, goal, McQueen, and Dunlop, backs, Curran, Neill, and McLean, halfbacks, McVean Ross, Bradshaw, Becton and McLean forwards . A start was made at six o'clock, and the early stage of play were characteristic by some pretty and effective combination among both sets of forwards. The ball travelled up and down the field in quick successions and McQueen on one side and Arridge on the other were successful in coping with many attacks on their charge. However, as play continued the Evertonians had just a little in hand and lost no opportunity of putting the screw on the Liverpool defence. A fine shot by Murray almost brought disaster, as Whitehead cleared in fine style. A breakaway by Ross, and a long shot at goal, which just missed the mark, was the next item and then Dunlop had an aminous time with Murray and Williams. Hill eventually shot in, and Whitehead brought off a grand save. During the next few minutes the Everton halves gave their forwards every opportunity to make the pace, but they either dallied with the ball of kicked too far ahead and enabled McQueen and Dunlop to clear in easy fashion. At this juncture Handford was injured, and Everton contested the reaming portion of the game with ten players. Pressure was now brought to bear on the Everton defence, and a couple of opening were made for Ross and Becton, but both failed badly. Half time arrival at length with the score no goals each.on restarting the Everton forwards put on pressure, and after Williams had narrowly missed, the ball was sent towards the net Whitehead in attempting to save, was hampered by Dunlop, and McMillan scored an easy goal. A visit to the other end, resulted in Becton making an opening for Neill who shot with capital judgement, but Arridge covered well, and from close on the twelve yards line Williams broke off down the centre and raced away. Whitehead run out and was somewhat fortunate at the expense of a harmless corner. The Liverpool forwards now put more dash in their work and made strenuous effective to force the game, but they attempted to take the ball too close up, and invariably Adams and Arridge shipped in at the right moment and made no mistake in clearing. Later on the Liverpool forwards made good combination they displayed in the early portion of the game, and it was neutralized. Whitehead brought off a couple of smart saves, the outcome of some capital play, Walker, Storrier, Williams, and Hill, and following a further attack, Storrier tried a shot from long range along the ground and Dunlop again was in. Whitehead way, the ball gliding from him into the net. Play had scarily been resumed when Walker placed the ball nicely to Hill, who scored a third point. The remaining portion of play was only moderated in character. The Liverpoolians broke away continuously, but were never allowed to become dangerous, and were beaten at the finish by 3 goals to nil.



April 30, 1895. The Birmingham Daily Post

Everton v. Liverpool.

At Everton. Everton kicked off, but during the opening stages of the game Liverpool showed better form, nothing, however, being scored up to half-time. Upon resuming Everton pressed, and McMillian scored their first goal, Storrier following with a second. The bulk of the play was in favour of Everton, who pressed heavily, and Hill scored a third goal, Result; Everton 3, Liverpool 0.



May 1 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The final match of the season at Goodison road was played last evening between the both teams, but the attendance was of a very limited character, 2,000 spectators being about the outside limit. The teams were strong as will be seen by the following list. Everton: - Hillman, goal, McDonald, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Storrier, and Elliott halfbacks Williams, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick and Milward forward. Aston Villa: - Wilkes, goal, Spencer, and Welford, backs, Reynolds, Cowan, and Elliott, halfbacks, Dorrell, Harvey, Devey, Athersmith and Smith, forwards . The game open tamely, and slightly in favour of Everton, who were the first to test the defence. A free kick close in was cleared by Elliott, and after some pretty passing all along the Villa front line, Hillman was tested with a stinging shot by Athersmith, and got it away in good style. The Everton left were the more effective wing during this period, but Milward finished badly, and after taking the ball down again Hartley was given an easy chance but his attempt lacked sting. Once again the Villa forwards got into a good swing, and after several attempts to beat Elliott, and Parry, Harvey at length got through but finished badly. Hillman got a couple of warm shots away in clever fashion, and then followed some pretty and effective movements by the Everton van, which eventually culminated in Spencer timely chipping in to prevent a score. The play was quickly at the other end, and Hillman scooped the ball out from a corner of the post at the expense of a harmless corner. Following which, Williams got away with a capital sprint, and left his opponents yards behind, but Hartley was at fault with the centre. Then Reynolds placed the ball nicely to Dorrell, who outpaced his opponents and on parting to Harvey, the latter shot hard into Hillman's hands, when a good opening was presented. For the next few minutes the Villa forwards played the more effective game, the passing being well timed and generally accurate, and nothing but the grand defensive of Hillman could have presented a score against his side. Devey put in a couple of swift low shots, which was ably met and close upon the interval the home van raced strongly away but final efforts were well met by Spender and Wilkes. Nothing was scored up to the change of ends, and on resuming the Evertonians were the first to make the running, and Wilkes was called upon with a capital shot by Hartley, and a minute later with another from Storrier, both of which, attempts were got rid of in a masterly way. Keeping up a persistent pressure McInnes and Williams tricked Elliott and Spencer, and on coming again, Williams drove the ball into the net seven minutes from the restart. This was followed by a clinking shot from Chadwick; but it was directed straight to Wilkes, who easily cleared. Smith eventually raced off, and on centring, Storrier unfortunately slipped in tackling his man and Harvey shot hard into the net, thus putting his side on equal footing. The Everton forwards now went in for swinging the ball across from wing to wing, and coupled with a fair amount of dash, they were often dangerous. Hartley shot into the net, but was given offside and from a subsequent free kick in Welford was lucky in meeting the ball, and then Cowan put in some fine touches of play, frequently placing the ball to Devey, who made copious opening for Athersmith and Harvey. Hillman, however was not to be beaten. Boyle was most attentive to the movements of Smith and Athersmith, and only rarely were they allowed any quarter, and on the other side Reynolds was most assiduous in his efforts to open out the play for Harvey and Dorrall but to no purpose for a length the right wing pair got off, and after Chadwick had worked close up. He gave Wilkes practically no chance to save with a swift oblique shot. Play had no sooner restarted then Williams broke away on the left, and McInnes completed the movement by registering a third point. During the last minutes of the game, Hillman brought off a grand save from Harvey, and, as nothing further was scored. Everton won their last match by 3 goals to 1.


June 12, 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The proceedings at the recent meeting of the Everton Football Club have been construed as a want of confident in several gentlemen who have managed the affairs of the important football organisation. We learn that, in consequence, the resignation of Mr. James Griffiths, one of the directors, have been followed by the resignations of Messrs Read, Wilson, and Coates. It is probable that Mr. Mahon, the president who untiring energy in behalf of the club has been so conspicuous, may likewise withdraw from the directorate.



June 26, 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The adjourned meeting of the Everton Football club, Limited in which great interest centres at the present time, will be held on Monday evening next, at eight o'clock, in Picton Lecture Hall.