December 1894


December 3 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

This return match took place at West Bromwich on Saturday in slightly foggy weather, and before about 5,000 spectators. As will be seen, Everton had the same team that beat Blackburn Rovers a week ago, whilst Albion were fully represented, the sides being composed of the following: - Everton: - Cain, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, (captain), McInnes, Milward, Chadwick, Bell, forwards, West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Williams, and Horton, backs, Perry (t), Perry (c), and Taggart, half-backs, Bassett, McLeod, Hutchinson, Richards, and Newall, forwards, Mr. Armitt officiated as referee. Everton played with the wind and downhill at the outset. The Albion opened the attack on the right, but Bassett saw the ball go out from his efforts. Everton soon got away, and pressed, from a centre by Chadwick, though they could not break down the defence. Boyle next came in timely with a heading stroke, and play diverted to the other end, when Bell shot out just as the whistle sounded. Stewart followed with a long aim, but Reader caught the ball readily. Some exciting play was dished up by the home right wing, when caused much trouble, relief only coming from T.Perry shot badly out of a scrimmage. Kelso next kicked into touch, and from the throw in, Latta ran clear, but was pulled up finely by Williams. The home team, however, could not be kept back, and Bassett, after Cain had saved well, shot in from the corner, skimming the bar ands going over. Returning, the Albion attacked with equal vivacity, but ‘'hands'' against Taggart spoiled the movements. Everton then had a more prostrated turn without the desired effect, as whilst Milward was charged and this prevented shooting at close quarters, McInnes put a little astray a minute later. C. Perry stopped Milward, in a renewed rush. Bell being also repulsed on shooting in at long range, Reader meeting the shot. Everton kept well up, but Bell was once more adjudged to be offside, and though the downfall of the Albion goal seemed imminent, the coup was not yet to be accomplished. A spice of danger became manifest at the Everton quarters, as Newall screwed in so well that Cain was only just in time to put behind. Stewart in reply, placed twice splendidly. From one of his centre Bell shot, but Reader saved as he did direct from Stewart's return. The home backs however, could not clear their lines, and from a free kick Milward scored at the end of 30 minutes. The play now become even more spirited. The Albion were the first away from the restart, but Kelso cleared, though only at the second attempt. A free kick was given against McLeod for tipping and as Holt, who went to the assistance of his colleague, and Parry both fell, the incident caused much merriment but Everton took up the attack and shot so well and frequently that the spectators were soon turned to a serious mood. Reader and his supports however defended effectually, and Newall seemed to have a clear opening. He shot in the right direction, but Parry seeing the danger went to the rescue, and cleared by kicking with splendid tact. Bassett worked back again, and beating the left defence centred to Hutchinson, who scored easily, and equalled. Immediately the ball was set in motion again Chadwick got under weight, and ruthlessly dashed the hopes of the home supports by scoring a meritorious goal, thus placing again in command, and a couple of minutes later the interval was announced with the visitors still leading by 2 goals to 1. The first item upon resuming was in Williams being forced to kick out from Bell, and in Chadwick exacting a corner from which, the ball was put behind. The Albion then went with a rush, and Kelso gave hands at a critical moment, but checked well in the ensuing scrimmage. The home item returned promptly, when Richards shot too high with the goal at his mercy apparently. Back went the Albion on the left, but this time Parry ran in and got the ball away with a hugh kick. When Everton took up the attack, which they did often, Williams as a rule saved stoutly. Bell once steadied himself and, then shot grandly, only to find Horton's head in the way. Bassett was next conspicuous, and in tackling him Parry though did the best thing to send into touch. Bell oncemore beat Williams in a race, but Chadwick taking the pass the right back made amends by kicking strongly, and shifting the venue, when two free kicks fell to the Albion, from the second of which, taken near in T.Perry placed narrowly over the bar. After Latta and Milward had been arrested in a raid by the plea of a most exciting tussle ensued in front of Cains charge, but the defence held out brilliantly. A similar fine place of attack was furnished by the Everton vanguard and this too came to nothing, Reader stopping a low shot by Chadwick. Bell was next penalised for bring down T.Perry, and danger threatened from the free kick, this bring followed by Cain cleverly divering a shot from McLeod round the posts. Hilt in conjunction with Boyle and Stewart had all along been conspicuous for excellent work, and it was well the half-backs were in good form as the Albion repeatedly went very strongly down the slope. They were thus bothered a good deal, and this will account for the moderate qualities of their shooting. As an instance of faulty aiming, on Cain being decoyed out of his goal, Richards had a very free course but, to the relief of Evertonians, put outside. Latta when his turn came, shot in, and Reader punched the ball straight out to Chadwick who made a sad mess, by lifting over the bar. McInnes tried in vain to get through at close range, and Bell running and shooting just on the wrong side of the post supplemented this. Everton were staying splendidly, and had much the best of the play at this juncture, but the home defence was very solid, and though centre upon centre were made, the ball went to an opponents invariably. By way of diveration Hutchinson ran clear, and led to such a taking attack that Cain looked likely to be beaten, but Parry broke up the raid by the concession of a corner. Thus encouraged, the Albionites went for goal with renewed energy when Parry and Kelso each checked beautifully, Holding them at bay bell at length ran off and, centring Milward made full use of an opening and scored. Everton were thus in a safe position, but the home team were not yet done, and Cain had to use his prerogative powers in the closing minutes. Everton went on the right prettily, and the ball being sent across to the left, Bell returned it and McInnes scored the fourth goal. Shortly following the game, a good one terminated. Everton having earned a well deserved victory by 4 goals to 1. Which was the identical result of the match at Goodison Park on Sept 29.



December 3, 1894. The Birmingham Daily Post

The match between West Bromwich Albion and Everton, which took place at the Stoney Lane ground, was interesting not only to local footballers, but to the country at large, owing to the close race between Sunderland and Everton for the League championship. The game was an exceedingly good one and taking it altogether it was a brilliant display of football. All through play was very exciting, each goalkeeper having to save many most difficult shots. With the exception of one mistake Reader gave a fine exhibition of custodianship, and had it not been for his tact and good judgement the score against the Albion would have been much heavier than it was. It must be admitted that, although the Albion lost so heavily, they played grandly during the greater part of the game, but their forwards were not so effective as those of their opponents when near goal. The front rank of the home eleven missed numerous opportunities through wretched shooting. On the other hand, the clever shooting of the Everton forwards was a conspicuous feature of the match. The backs and half-backs on both sides were in splendid trim, and did some very effective work. The players on the Albion side who deserve to be specially mentioned are Williams, C. Perry, T.Perry, Bassett, Hutchinson, and McLeod, whilst the display of Cain, Parry, Holt, Bell, Chadwick, and Milward for Everton was very commendable.



December 3 1894. The Liverpool mercury

At Goodison Park. The home side proved much too strong for the Darweners, and scoring 2 goals in the first half, and 8 in the second and won by 10 goals to 1. Team Everton: - Sutton, goal, McFarlane, and Arridge, backs, Taylor, Storrier, and Elliott, halfbacks, Reay, Williams, Geary, McMillan, and Griffiths, forwards.



December 10 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

For the return match on Saturday, at Goodison Park, the previous game having resulted in a three goals to one defeat to the Wanderers, the side chosen by Everton was the same as that which had beaten the Blackburn Rovers and West Bromwich Albion on the two proceeding Saturdays, whilst Bolton with the exception that Sutcliffe returned in goal vice Shuttleworth, had the identical team that had effected a draw a week ago with Preston North End at Deepdale. Mr. Lewis referee, and with the weather fine, and the ground in pretty good condition, despite the rain of the proceeding day, there were many indications of a rousing game. At the time of starting, owing to the necessity of kicking off at the early hour of a quarter pass two the attendance was rather thin, as things go at Goodison park; but the number quickly increased until they approached about 14,000 . teams as follows . Everton: - Cain, goal Kelso, and Parry, half-backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta (captain), McInnes, Milward, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards, Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Jones (captain), backs, Fairbairn, Weir, and McGeehan, Paton, Cassidy, Henderson, Lyden, and Tannahill, forwards. The visitors secured choice of ends, and accordingly Everton had to face the sun at the opening, which just then was shinning brightly. Milward set the ball in motion, and helped to make a futile movement towards goal, but the halfbacks arrested the raiders, and the Wanderers pressed on the right, but both Kelso and Parry were safe, and no shot was possible. When Everton cleared they went away more strongly and were so far dangerous that Jones gave a corner. The Wanderers lost no time in renewing the attack, and penetrated the net, but Lyden, who shot, was ruled offside. Henderson followed with a bad shot from a favourable position, and then the ball went into goal from a free kick, but as none had played the leather in its fight no goal ensued. Everton got into better swing, and Bell put just outside the post. Tannahill replied with a good but futile effort. Then play went in favour of Everton. The best attempt at goal during a persistent attack was by Milward, but he put too high. Returning from midfield, Chadwick had two aims in quick succession, his second shot being a grand one, to which Sutcliffe used his fist. Bell was pulled up for offside, when about to shoot, but this did not please some of the Evertonians, who made an unmistakable demonstration of disapproval. The home team were not to be easily discouraged, and great was the enthusiasm when Latta shot grandly and hit the bar-a fine effort-supplemented by Milward testing Sutcliffe with a low testing shot. Everton, for some reason or other perhaps owing to their anxiety to shine before their supporters had not so far shown their usual standard of cohension, but they were evidently getting into a better swing and, tried once more to fine a flaw in the visitors defence. In this aim that for the present failed, and were in turn put on the defence, but McGinn missed what appeared to be an excellent chance. Somerville then broke up a raid by Everton, and the Wanderers became very aggressive. Cain went out to clear and was foiled, but Parry rushed in timely, and danger was diverted. It was only for a short time, however, as on Paton working to the front. Henderson quickly took possession and scored the first goal of the match, the play having been in progess half an hour when this important incident occurred. The Wanderers had quite deserved the point, for they had shown great dash, and had up to them the best of the play. Everton appreciated the gravity of the situration, and promptly took up the attack with energy, but on Chadwick passing to the right, McInnes headed over. A corner followed to Everton, who pressed very hard, but found the defence too strong. Paton meeting and checking in particular a very likely shot. Keeping well to the front, the home team seemed certain to score every minute. Bell put just outside, then Latta sent the ball grazing the bar, and the right winger did an even better performance by beating three opponents and shooting very hard, but effectually, in the proper direction. A spurt on the Wanderers left was nipped in the bud, and thence to halftime-some eight minutes-Everton were seen in great force penning their opponents almost continuously, but though they shot never so often or so well, an entrance into goal could not be discovered, and so the interval arrival with the Wanderers still leading by a goal to nil. Immediately upon restarting the outlook was far from reassuring, as the visitors went off with dash, and Henderson gave Cain an opportunity of showing his worth, and he proved safe. Everton did not clear, however, and Parry was in trouble, but he managed to keep the ball out of harm's way until Cain could go to his assistance, and put to safe land. Surviving this difficult situation, a change came over the scene, and Everton by splendid combination and activity, grew more threatening and the work was performed in such a business like way, that scarily an Evertonian remained in doubt as to the ability of the team to pull the game out of the fire. A hearty cheer went forth as Bell centred beautifully to Milward. The latter was tackled before he could turn round to shoot, but Latta was at hand, and headed a shade too high. Everton sustained the onslaught and Bell headed in finely, but Sutcliffe fisted aside, and stopped a low return by McInnes. Everton's time had evidently not yet come, and by way of a diversion, the Wanderers got clear on the left, but had Holt to reason with, and the international removed the great danger in his most daring and complete style, leading up to a long deferred successful attack. When this came it took a sensational turn. Latta sent across the face of goal, Bell returned the ball, and Chadwick landed in his special way, into the net near the corner. Everton were thus level with their rivals, but this was not sufficient, and in a minute or so Bell again put to the front of goal, when Latta took the pass and beat Sutcliffe with a magnificent running shot. There was some protesting against the point, Mr. Lewis saw nothing wrong about it. The issue became clearer, though as Bell was obliged to leave the field, there was much danger that Everton would not held out the lead; but they still had the best of the game. The wanderers however, found it easier to stem the raids. In about ten minutes Bell returned with a very hearty cheer, and he lost no time to trying a shot, which went wide. The Wanderers woke up again, and were not very far off on two occasions, the shots being hard ones, but a little astray. Everton after these perhaps were enabled to attack hotly and persistently. A number of good shots were sent in, Bell, and Milward especially deserving better success, than they met with; Sutcliffe repulsed thrust upon throat. He had a slight respite when the Wanderers obtained a throw in near the corner, but Holt came through with the ball, and McInnes essayed a low shot, which was followed by a corner. The Wanderers again cleaned to no purpose, and on Bell, and Chadwick placing to the centre, McInnes made splendid use of an opening, and scored the third goal. There were yet about five minutes to elapses and in this time the Wanderers indulged in a hot siege, but got nothing more tangible than a squence of corner kicks. They were still attacking when the whistle sounded for the occasion of a hard game, in which Everton won by 3 goals to nil.



December 10 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Bolton. Everton scored first, but afterwards had scarely a look in, the Wanderers registering four goals. Fifteen minutes before the finish, the game underwent a marvellous change, Everton equaling, the three goals coming very closely together. The Wanderers had a goal disallowed. The result was a draw- 4 goals each. Everton: - Sutton, goal, Walker and Arridge backs, Talor, Storier, and Elliott, halfbacks, Reay, Williams, Hartley, McMillan, and Handford, forwards. Played 14. Won 12, lost 0, draw 2, for 93, against 19, points 26



December 17 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met to decide their first League match of the season at Deepdale on Saturday. The weather was bright, but a stiff wind prevailed from goal to goal somewhat whilst there were small pools of water in places. Bell consequent upon the injury he received last week in his side, was forced to stand down, and Milward returned to his old place on the left. Hartley again going centre. Otherwise the team was the same that had won the three precceding matches. Of the Preston North End players, Cunningham was left out, and Drummond was outside right-the position made memorable by J.Gordon. teams Everton: - Cain, goal, Kelso, and Parry backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Latta (captain), McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards, Preston North End:- Trainor, goal, Dunn, and Holmes, backs, Sharp, Grier, and Saunders, halfbacks, Drummond, Bare, Smith, Becton, and Henderson. Forwards, Referee Mr. Thomas. Latta lost the toss, and play opened with the sum in their eyes of Everton but had the advantage of the wind. The visitors initiated the attack, but Dunn cleared, and on going quickly to the other end Everton, found themselves in trouble. Henderson had the goal at his mercy, Cain having run out, but Kelso grandly saved near the post. The ball, however, was immediately centred for goal again and scrimmaged through, two or three men bring handy. Everton were thus behind four minutes from the start, but they went up strongly from the restart, and Chadwick had two very fair shots. A free kick was next given against Sanders near in, and taken by Stewart, but Dunn cleared. Hartley followed with a shot, and then Preston went away smartly, Cain giving a corner, when Kelso stopped a dangerous shot. Latta ran well, but was cleverly beaten by Holmes, who heeled the ball. The right wing returned, and once more Holmes checked them, but failed to clear, and McInnes shot over the bar. Everton attacked very powerfully just now, and looked like scrimmaging an equalising goal, but the whistle sounded when a tussle was being carried on almost in the goalmouth. Chadwick essayed a long straight shot, but this Trainor stopped. Parry next ran across and robbed Henderson when most dangerous. The pace had been a very hot one in which, Everton had been the most aggressive, but not the most effective, as North End were always difficult to grapple with in their headlong rushes down the slope. In one of these onslaught Parry got winded in a collision with Smith. Then Kelso repulsed the left wingmen smartly, and enabled Everton to take up the attack, the outcome of which, was in Milward shooting against the end net. Preston North End brought some pressure to bear on the left, and were menacing, as Parry who was evidently suffering from the charge, he had previously received, made a faulty kick. Stewart went to the rescue, and fell on the ball, but nothing came of the free kick. Latta was pulled up for offside, and Everton once more found themselves in difficulty, Stewart this time defending soundly. A fine bit of play ensued at midfield, out of which, Milward grew threatening, but Grier took the ball from him brilliantly when steadying for a shot. Becton was just as dangerous on the other left wing, but kelso spoil his shot. Close upon halftime Becton had another good bid for goal, but headed outside, and at the adjournment Preston North End were still leading by a goal to nil.

On resuming the home team were first to become threatening, this occurring on the right wing. Parry and Stewart tackled well, and so Becton went to the help of his colleagues, and straight shot outside. In response Latta centred to Chadwick, who shot too high. Cain soon had to save, and had nothing to spare in doing so, whilst in the quickly fluctuating tendency of the fast game Milward made a poor attempt in trying for goal. From a throw-in, by Boyle, the home team were hard pressed, but held out splendidly, and in turn, Everton were equally pushed, as first Smith shot well, Cain making a grand save, Perry and Kelso both following with good defence. An escape came on the Everton right wing. A loose scrimmage arising in which, Preston men fell, Hartley put the ball cleanly into the net. Everton at length drawing level, at the end of just an hour's play . The activity of the teams grew greater than ever though that had seemed impossible, and Everton for a few minutes had a warm experience, but the defence proved to be excellent at this great juncture. Drummond, in a return raid, centred finely, when Boyle did not hesitate to kick out, nothing coming from the throw. Hartley headed a movement supported by McInnes, but on the ball going to Milward, the latter was a little too slow in his action, and was charged off. Stewart placed up prettily, and Latta went on, when McInnes shot in correctly from long range but Trainor caught the ball, and threw clear. Drummond next showed a surprising turn of speed, and passed to Barr, who shot just a shade too high, whilst Cain was in requisition twice, so keen was the attack of the North End forwards. The ball was shortly afterwards worked to the centre of the field, when Chadwick passed to Milward, who ran, and taking good aim, scored a neat goal eight minutes before time. This practically settled matters, but North End were not slow in their endeavours to recovery the ground that had been lost. Everton were very hard pressed. Cain saved with his fists, then Boyle arrested a straight shot whilst later on Cain scooped the ball, and also kicked clear. Holt, Kelso, Parry and all did good work just then, gamely holding out until the whistle sounded, and Everton had won a terribly hard and exciting game by 2 goals to 1.



December 17 1894. The Liverpool mercury

At Goodison Park, before 3,000 spectators. Preston kicked off, but Everton rushed up and Geary neatly scored. North End played up pluckily, but could not break through, the home defence, though Barton had hard lines. Ten minutes before the interval, Reay scored for Everton, after a pretty run, and at halftime Everton led by a goal to nil. On resuming Everton attacked, but were soon driven back. A few minutes later Preston forced a corner, but it proved barren. After even play, Geary got hold and scored a splendid goal. North End tried hard to score, but without success, and a hard fought game terminated with the result Everton Reserves 2 goals Preston North End Reserves nil.

Played 15, won 13, lost 0, draw 2. For 95, against 19, points 28




December 17 1894. The Liverpool mercury

Everton were at a disadvantage in having on Saturday to opposite Preston North End at Deepdale without the assistance of Bell, who was incapacitated though his kick in the side he received the week previously from the Boltonians. The necessitated important changes in the front rank, and Milward returned to his old place as outside left, and Hartley reappeared at centre. Thus two positions were disturbed, and it seemed a play that it was inevitable that it should be so after Milward had qualified well a s central forward. Under the circumstances, the win of Everton of two goals to one is the more meritorious than it would have been assayed at had the team been the same that had won the preceeding game. It was a very hard fought battle, as the closeness of the scoring indicated, and uphill work nearly all the time for Everton. They lost the toss, and had not only to play against the slope but had the sun in their eyes at the outset. This latter fact, no doubt, bothered Cain somewhat when he was beaten at the second attempt in the first few minutes of the game. He might have run out and cleared at the critical moment under ordinary circumstances, but really he had very little chance for the North End forwards know better than any one else how to swoop down that slope when the footing is uncertain as it was on Saturday, with the defenders distracted by the sin's rays. Everton were thus behind in the opening minutes of the game, at Deepdale too, and in calculating the value of their ultimate success, this important fact must not be lost sight of. Everton had more attempts at scoring than North end afterwards, but so consummate was the play of Holmes in particular of Grier, of Dunn, and of Trainor, that the second half had advanced a quarter of an hour before the equalising goal could be netted. With the teams on an equality and with a full half hour yet to run, it can be readily conceived how determined was the remaining play. Both goals were several times placed in jeopardy from the Herculean efforts put forth. North End especially having hard luck on more than one occasion; but the clinching goal came eight minutes before the finish, when Milward who took the ball from Chadwick, ran on with it steadied himself, and beat Trainor thoroughly. North End were not beaten yet, however, and they usual be complimented upon their brilliant attempt to save their colours. They shot in from all directions, but Everton defended at their best. Any flaw just then would have cost than the match. Either Kelso, Holt, Parry, Boyle, or Cain crushed hopes as often as it was raised, and a great game with a brilliant tableau terminated amidst general enthusiasm. Everton must thank defence rather than attack for their latest victory. The forwards did not get on well together-at least not as we are accustomed to see Everton forwards. Milward would have done better in the centre, probably, that he did on the left, for he assured to dally too long as rule in taking a shot, and the result was that he either got robbed or made a faulty kick; but it must be accredited to him that he scored the best goal of the day. Hartley did not add to his reputation, and this is the more difficult to understand, since Chadwick and McInnes with Latta were seen to advantage, if not at their best. Holt fairly revelled in foiling the burly Smith.Boyle played with great sagacity, and popped up in a most provoking manner to Preston North End, just when they though they had a golden chance. Stewart was not in his usually effective mood, and yet had the weakest wing in Drummond and barr to face. Kelso never perhaps acquitted himself so soundly as he did on Saturday, and is entitled to the post of Honour in the cause of victory. Parry got hurt by Smith early on, and was weak in consequence for a time, but he came out in, all the well-known power in the later stages. Cain give a splendid account of himself in the second half, and some of his saves near the end were so remarkable, as to be considered by some people rather lucky strokes. Like Everton the defence of Preston was a dominant feature of their tactics-Trainor, Holmes, Dunn, and Grier, particularly, being in brilliant form. The right wing was overshadowed by that of Beckon and Henderson, whilst Smith is a strong man at centre, that too prone for charging.



December 25 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Abandoned league match 30 minutes, played on as friendly

This return League match was the attraction at Goodison Park on Saturday, but the gale which, prevailed kept thousands away , and the attendance was meagre in the extreme when the game commenced although it increased quickly to something like 3,000. The chances were that there would be no play at all, and if any, that it would be of a farcical character. However, after an inspection of the ground, it was decided to start, and the following players were soon in their positions: - Everton: - Cain, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta (captain), McInnes, Geary, Bell, and Milward, forwards, Stoke City: - Crawley, goal, Clare, and Eccles backs, Turner, Robertson, and Brodie, halfbacks, Naughton, Dickson, Farrell, Evans, and Scholfield, forwards refreee Mr. Brodie. It will be observed that Geary made his first appreance in a league match this season, while Milward again went outside left, Bell not being yet fit for hard play. Everton had the wind, and went promptly for goal, where any chance that might have been was spoilt through Latta being given offside. A nice pass by McInnes gave to Geary, who opened well by shooting finely but clawley saved smartly, and before Everton could be dislodged Milward head in, when the ball bounced over the bar. A long shot by Holt went in the right direction, but the wind caused the aim to prove to high. The Stoke defence continued to be much pressed, but it was equal to the emergency, and at length the visitor's right wingmen escaped, only to be completely beaten by parry. A throw in fell to Stewart, but the ball went over the line. The next incident was in Dickson and Naughton outwitting Parry, but Stewart ran back, and when the ball was after a little trouble, shot in, Kelso met it and cleaned. A foul against Naughton relieved the pressure, and Geary moved away, in a sprint, but could not help sending over the goalline. A free kick put Stoke on the attack again, when Everton passed to Scholfield, who shot in splendidly, but Parry was on the lookout, and kicked clear. Everton then settled down to a more persistent attack. Chadwick shot well, but without effect, and Latta had one fisted out by Clawley. Latta ran in again, and had another try, but this time surmounted the crossbar. When the game was 20 minutes old, Boyle shot straight for goal from midfield, and Crawley failing to hold the ball securely, was beaten by the wind and shot combined. Having opened the scoring account, Everton bore down on goal very heavily, Chadwick, and Geary being especially dangerous. A free kick was given, Stoke from which they assumed the aggressive, when suddenly Mr. Brodie stopped the game, alleging that the wind was too high for the importance of a League match, Everton then leading by a goal to nil. This action was protested against by the spectators, and eventually a friendly game was restored to of 20 minutes each way, which Everton won by 2 goals to 1. It was afterwards decided to replay the League match on January 7.



December 24 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Hyde road Manchester. Hartley started play in the gale of wind, and Reay scored the first goal for Everton, but this was soon equalised, and Bannantyne scored another for the home side, the city were leading at the interval by 2 goals to 1. In the second half, Everton equalised from a Penalty Kick, and Hartley put his side ahead, the visitors winning by 3 goals to 2 . Everton: - Sutton, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Walker, Storrer, and Elliott, halfbacks, Reay, Williams, Hartley, Murray, And Handford, forwards.



December 25 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The return match between Everton and Stoke was attempted at Goodison Park, but it proved until, There was some doubt about the wisdom of starting at all, but the wind seemed to be relaxing its force, and Mr. Brodie determined to make the experiment. Everton were fortunate enough to win the choice of ends, and at once took up the attack. The play was fairly good, the ball controlled much more effectively than seemed possible. The shooting, in fact was particularly accurate on several occasions, but the defence was sound. Eccles especially repelling fine attempts at scoring. Twenty minutes had flown, but no goals had been obtained, so the outlooked was not a reassuring one for Everton, for, with a change of ends there was no telling what Stoke might be capable of, in turn assisted by the wind. At this period, however, Boyle asserted one of his long shots. The ball went direct to the goalkeeper, who dropped it, and it was apparently blown thence into the net. Everton went for goal again and again to be checked. Stoke now and then broke away, and were dangerous, but so well did Kelso and Parry defend when called upon at these rare intervals that Cain was not in requisition. The play all round was improved, but just as every one had become very much interested the referee blew his whistle, and the game to the surprise of all, and to the disgust of the majority of the spectators. There were shouts to play on, and a general stampede was made on the to the sacred field of play, during which, the referee was hustled in company with the club officials, but not molested. The crowd was of course disappointed but, on the whole, good tempered. After many confabulations it was decided the League match having now become impossible to indulge, the mascontents with a short friendly game of 20 minutes each way. This Everton won by two goals to 1 and so they practically beat Stoke twice in one afternoon. The ruling of the referee was no doubt a right one, but it did not give satisfaction especially with Everton, players, and officially and had these had the control of things the League game would have proceeded to a definite issue, Whatever, that might have been. Everton have taken part in many matches when the wind was quite as strong, notably at Sunderland last season, whilst the English Cup tie at Stoke was determined under similar breezy conditions. However, there were confirmation of the action of Mr.Brodie at Derby, Preston, and Bolton, where the League matches were not even commenced. It is scarcely neccassary to criticise the players under the circumstances; but Geary, who made his first appearance in a League match this season, must be complimented upon his good work at centre forward, his speed and shooting power being as pronounced as in the days of the past. This was the only change in the Everton side from that which, had beaten Preston North End, and so far as tested, the team seemed to be in excellent trim from ‘'sterm to Stern''

The attraction for the holidays, as already notified are the visit to Goodison Park of the Glasgow Celtic tomorrow, and the first of two friendly games between Everton and Liverpool also at Goodison Park on boxing day, both of which contests should prove very popular. In the afternoon of Boxing day, the annual match for the benefit of three newsboys and girls will take place on the Everton ground. The Police Band will be in attendance at ten o'clock and the lord mayor has consented to kick off at eleven after which, the following team will''fight'' for honours and charity Liverpool railway verses Liverpool Express.



December 26 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The Christmas fixture at Goodison Park was the popular one of Everton and the Glasgow Celtic, and despite the fact that the weather was of a murky, wet character, there was the flattering attendance of 15,000. The teams were not the strongest the clubs could have chosen, but were not at all weak, as the following names will show: - Everton: - Williams (r), goal, Adams (captain) and Arridges, backs, Walker, Boyle, and Elliott, halfbacks, Reay, Williams (w) Hartley, Chadwick and Milward forwards, Celtic: - McArthur goal, Reynold, and Doyle (d), backs, McIbeny, Kelly, and Maley, halfbacks, Campbell, Cassidy, McCann, Bleesington, and Madden, forwards. M. Lythgoe officiated as referee. Everton were the first away, but were repulsed, as were Celtic at the other end. Hartley essayed a shot from a check by Reynolds, and in the excitement Doyle, received an injury on the right knee, but after a little doctoring, was again fit and well. In fact, with the same leg he promptly put in a fine kick, with the result that the Scotchmen assured the aggressive in good style Cassidy first drawing Williams out, he making a good save. This was followed by much activity on the Celtic right wing, but these effects came to nothing. Everton were equally unsuccessful when their turn came to attack, and then the visitors were very threatening the ball being landed into the net from an offside position. Play was now of an even kind, and not lacking in earnestness. Hartley at length got away, but though the whistle was blown for some informality the centre man followed up his shot by charging the goalkeeper, who was hurt, causing a slight cessation in the game. On resuming a corner was concede by Everton, and this being cleared Milward soon got in a beautiful centre, which Williams failed to meet, Reay supplementing with an attempts to rush the ball through. Boyle was not far out with one of his unique shots, but Everton had quickly to defend. Adams following up a winning shot by himself, which went wide had to tackle the left wing. This he did, but could not clear, and Williams had to catch the ball to prevent his charge being taken. Kelly ran and passed to the left, when Cassidy made a good but futile shot. Danger at the other end was quite as great on Hartley rushing in, but the ball passed just wide of the post. The play was livened up greatly, and on Hartley heading to goal McArthur was beaten. Everton thus taking the lead 35 minutes from the start. Doyle protested but found Mr.Lythgoe firm. A rush forwards Williams was of no avail, and after Everton had Williams was of no avail and after Everton had got so near the goalline, that some spectators in a good position called''goal'' the interval arrived with Everton leading by a goal to nil. Immediately on resuming Milward became conspicuous, but shot over. Everton returned on the right, and Williams compelled Maley to give a corner. Doyle also gave a corner, which was so well placed by Chadwick that he hit the bar, the ball bouncing over. In the meantime McCann had essayed a shot which Williams saw would go outside. The Celtic then went for goal in a cluster, and Adams made two useful saves. In reply, Hartley ran clear, but just when about to send in a shot which bothered McArthur the whistle was blown. Arridge next robbed Blessington when becoming dangerous, and the ball being helped down the field by the halfback. Reay centred finely to Hartley, who was charged and prevented shooting properly by Reynolds. A likely movement was grandly grappled with by Arridge on McCann who belonging by Stratclyde was given a trial in the Celtic team shooting in the best manner. Maley took aim, but without effect, and attention was drawn to the Everton right wing, who had given a good account of themselves all though. A strong attack was the result, which, from W. Williams centre, culminated in Chadwick shooting too high, Milward and Reynolds at the same time coming into heavy collision. The ground was now becoming somewhat obscured in fog. Celtic pressed with more severely than at any time in the game, and Williams was called upon by Cassidy, making a splendid save by catching the fall and kicking strongly. The Scotchmen however, returned and shot well, Adams this time kicking clear. Everton inaugurated a movement of equal merit on the right, when Walker centred to Chadwick, who shot straight and low, McArthur saving with his knees. The Celtic were soon at Goal, and a free kick falling to them, Doyle placed, hitting the bar, but Campbell put outside. An attack of high Quality by Everton was made, which Reay and Hartley, after Chadwick had shot, followed up and caused McArthur to be beaten at the third attempt Williams. In a minute Walker made a further shot, and Hartley adroitly backhelled the ball and gave Everton their third goal, the stroke taking all the defenders by Surprise. Shortly following a good game came to the end, Everton winning by 3 goals to nil. The return takes place on January 2. The game was a most interesting one, especially in the second half, and suffered little from the clubs not being fully represented. Without in the least intending to minimize the play of Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, it must be said that W.Williams and Reay, of the combination team, made a very clever right wing; that Boyle was neat and timely in his play, at centre half; that Arridge and Adams especially the latter gave good defence, and that Williams in goal cleared several dangerous shots in a way that must have pleased his admirers. Of the Celtic, McCann a particularly to be mentioned for his skill at centre forward, whilst Dan Doyle and Reynolds defended with the art worthy of their reputation which, speaks better for the Everton attack.



December 27, 1894, The Birmingham Daily Post

At Goodison Park, before 20,000 spectators. Everton played five reserves men. Play was even until, after good work by Ross, Bradshaw scored the first goal for Liverpool. Penalties for off-side were frequent, and up to the interval nothing further was scored. Shortly after the resumption Everton scrimmaged through, and Milward shot a second goal. Again Everton pressed, but were unable to increase their lead. Result Everton 2, Liverpool 1.



December 27 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of a couple of friendlies arranged between these clubs took place yesterday afternoon at Goodison Park in the presence of about 20,000 spectators. The home lot included Sutton the combination goalkeeper, and Reay, Walker Storrier, and Hartley also figured in the team, while the Liverpoolians were fully represented, as will be seen from the following list of players: - Everton: - Sutton, goal, Adams (captain), and Parry backs, Kelso, Walker, and Stewart, halfbacks, Reay, McInnes, Hartley, Storrier, and Milward, forwards. Liverpool: - McQueen, goal, MCLean (d), and Curran, backs, McLean (j), McQue, and McCartney, halfbacks, Drummond, Hannah (d), Bradshaw, Ross, and Kerr, forwards. Liverpool opened the play, and the opening stages were of a fairly even character. Bradshaw eventually got away, and with the assistance of Ross, and Drummond the Everton goal was threatened, but the ball was sent over the line, kicking out from the Everton end, McLean neatly foiled Reay in an attempt to get away, and sending across to Bradshaw, tracks were made to the Everton end; but Adams was in readiness and from a long kick the home right pair got away, and centring in goal, a hot scrimmage took place, which, eventually ended in J.McLean kicking clear. By means of smart dribbling on the part of Bradshaw, the home half was reached. After a futile attempt to get to the Liverpool end, the visiting forwards got off in nice combination, and Hannah tested Sutton, but the shot was easy to negotiate, and the ball was quickly taken to the other end. A penalty kick changed the venue, and a moment later a fruitless corners was forced off Parry, Kerr sent in a rattling shot, which was as ably met, and following neat sprint along the left by Milward the Liverpool quarters were attacked but Ross came to the rescue, and dribbling on parted to Hannah, who however,lay offside, and a capital opening was lost. Storrier was next prominent in an onward move, but Curran was equal to the occasion, and a spell of even play followed in midfield. Breaking away again Hartley had the goal at his command, but shot too mildly, and McQueen cleared easily. The Liverpool Forwards now got off in good combination, and after they had all had a hand in the movement, Bradshaw sent in a low shot which defeated Sutton, and the first goal of the game was recored 20 minutes after the commencement of play. Re-starting, the Everton forwards got off again, but McQue was in good tackling form, and shortly afterwards, when Reay had a good opportunity to get on even terms, McLean robbed him prettily, and on his forwards getting away Hannah sent into the net, but the point was ruled offside. Milward looked like equalising matters when McCartney stepped into the breach and transferred the play to the other end. The Evertonians for some minutes had an anxoius time. A free kick in good range came to nought, and getting away from the goal kick Hartley had the goal again at his mercy, but McLean timely pulled him up, and went to the centre. A moment later Kerr put in a stinging shot, but it was well met, and immediately following this Milward, sent in a sharp low shot, which was well attended to by McQueen. From the kick out, Storrier got possession and drove into the net but he was unfortunately offside, and in a trice the ball was at the home goal, where Parry saved under the most unlooked for conditions. From a corner the ball was handed through, and from the goal kick the Liverpool forwards got under weigh again, but this time they encountered a strong defence, and a few minutes later, some pretty combination was divulged by the Everton van in front of the Liverpool goal, but Reay lay offside, though from a subsequent penalty kick the Liverpool custodian was tested. Getting the ball clear. Drummond forced a corner off Stewart, but nothing came of it. During the next few minutes the Liverpool forwards put in many fine touches of play but Adams and Kelso defended well. At length Hartley and Reay broke off, but there was no defeating J.McLean, who repeatedly foiled their combination. Directly afterwards, halftime was announced with Liverpool leading by a goal to nil. Hartley restarted, and the initial movements favoured the Evertonians. D.McLean tackled well, and on taking a free kick later on, placed his side in good position, and Ross sent in a beauty, which missed the bar by only a few inches. From the goal kick Hartley, McInnes and Reay took the ball to the other end, where Curran was busy, and did his work well. from ‘'hands'' near goal the ball was sent behind, and following a severe pressure in the Liverpool quarters, Drummond, with a capital individual effort, took the ball well down the field, when D.McLean further improved matters by means of a free kick. From a throw in, at the Liverpool end Ross put the ball in McQueen's possession, and it was scrimmaged through thus equalising (Hartley). The ball had no sooner been brought into play again then it was hovering in the neighborhood of the visitors goal, and Milward sent in a beauty which defeated McQueen, and Everton lead by 2 goals to 1. A corner fell to Everton shortly afterwards, but it was safely got away though from the return McLean and Curran had an anxious time, until the former player tackled, and dribbled through his opponents to the other end, where however, little quarter was given, as Adams and Parry made no mistake in defence. Milward and Storrier were busy on the home left, but J.McLean was equal to the occasion, and a corner was forced off McInnes. Kelso got the ball away in easy fashion and Reay put it thorough a moment later, but it was ruled offside. After a smart movement, Sutton's end, Hartley, McInnes and Reay raced grandly down, and directly afterwards the centre put in a clinking shot, which justed glazed the bar. A couple of free kicks followed to Liverpool, and from the second, Curran sent well down, and than an injury to Reay brought on a slight stoppage in the game. Getting to work again the Everton van rushed off strongly, and the Liverpoolians were distinctly fortunate in averting further disaster. The ball rolled harmlessly over the line, and from the goal kick the Evertonians again got under away and Reay taking a long shot, sent slightly wide of the mark. The same player a moment later opened the course for Milward, but the opportunity was not take advantage of J.McLean put in a tremendous amount of work, and was fairly successful in breaking up the strong combination of the home forwards. At this juncture Reay left the field, and the next item was a smart run down by Milward and Storrier and McQueen was somewhat lucky in meeting the final effort. Immediately following, Storrier sent in a hot shot, which McQueen saved in grand fashion, and from a subsequently free kick the ball was put into the net, but was not touched in transit. The goal kick gave the Liverpoolians, no relief for the ball was kept in close proximity to goal until Ross, Kerr, and Bradshaw, by a combined movement, got to the other end, Adams almost let in the visitors by missing a kick, but was ably covered by Parry and Bradshaw elicted round of applause by smart dodging and running. Nothing further took place up to the close, and Everton won a fair game by 2 goals to 1. The play was of a fairly good quality, and the Liverpoolians had for a greater portion of the time more than a little in hand. It was in the second half, and towards the losing stage that they fell off when least expected. Everton staying better drew up level and then took the lead. Bradshaw played a fine centre forward game for Liverpool, and Ross was an admirable second, while the Ex-Evertoinians van until well in the second half, was somewhat erratic. Storrier played a hard and successful game, and with Reay and Hartley formed the brunt of the attack. Both sets of halves were evenly balanced, as also were the backs, while in goal McQueen proved a capable custodian, and though Sutton saved many fine attempts to lower his goal, he should have parried Bradshaw's shot which, proved Liverpool only point. The taking of the gate amounted to £405.



December 31 1894. The Liverpool Courier

It is almost unprendeuted in the history of football to find two League matches abandoned in the same town on consective Saturdays, owing to unpropitious weather. From a purely finical point of view the postponement of the Stoke match was not a matter of great moment, but there cannot be the slighest doubt that the dreadful weather of Saturday, neutralizing as it did the abandonment of the game with Aston Villa has resulted in a very serious loss to Everton exchequer. Between twelve and two o'clock the showers of rain were both continuous and heavy, and at the latter hour Mr. Gilbert, the referee after making a last inspection of the ground, declared that it was totally unfit for play. When it had finally been decided to postpone the game, a consultation took place between the officials as to the most convient date for playing off the match. Thursday, the 17 th January was agreed upon, but as the villa officials were not entrusted with full power of act in the matter this arrangement will have to be confirmed by their committee. In the event of their sanction being given the game will be played on this date.



December 31 1894.

No details