February 1895

February 4 1895. The Liverpool mercury

This tie was played on the ground of the Souithport Central, which looked in splendid condition, it having been swept of all snow. The field of play was also level, with a plentiful crop of short grass. Bright weather prevailed, the sun shinning at the time off starting, but there was some wind, which blew from goal to goal. The attendance was a good one for Southport, and numbered about 5,000. Teams: - Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso, and Parry backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Reay, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Bell forwards. Southport Central: - Gee, goal, Smith, and Mclean (d), backs, McLaren (c), Fryer, and Tattersall, halfbacks, Whittaker, Hollows, Halsall, Bryce, and Hastings, forwards. Referee Mr.A.Cooper linesman Messrs, J.Cooper, and J.Eccleston. Everton played against the wind, but with their backs to the sun, and had the best of some midfield play. Reay sending over the line from long range. Parry checked the home right wing, but the left men returned, when Bryce shot, but Williams ran out and cleared. The Central, from hands against Bell pressed on both wings. Everton gained relief on Hasting shooting Badly and attacked on the left, when Smith made a good save. Boyle put in a timely kick on. Hassell starting a run, and Everton went back to goal, but Chadwick shot wide. Kelso headed away danger, and a corner fell to Everton, taken by Reay, when Gee saved. Play livened up now, and amidst some excitement Bryce shot splendidly, though just a little too wide. Williams stopped one with his foot, and then Everton got into a better swing. After Reay had put into the net irregularly, the ball was worked down the field nicely, and Bell running on, shot accurately and scored the initial goal 15 minutes from the start. Bell next drove across beautifully, but Reay missed the pass. Everton were difficult to dislodge at this period and from a corner, bell beat Gee for the second time. A spurt by the Central was ropped, smartly and the visitors indulged in more shooting. McInnes went yards out of the right direction, but Hartley made a good bid hitting the bar. A diversion, was then made as though Parry checked Halsall called up on Williams Hasting mealy lifting over the crossbar. A fine movement by Hartley and McInnes followed, culminating in the latter shooting low and hard, and in Gee clearing at the expense of a corner. Bryce got winded, but was all right in a minute, and helped in bringing some pressure upon the Everton defenders, who readily checked. Holt was very busy, and from one of the touches the visiting forwards were on the attack again, when Chadwick landed the ball on to the top of the net a faulty shot ensuing from Bell. A couple of corner kicks were conceded the Central the outcome of which, was in Hollow's heading outside. The home team quickly returned from a pass by the right wing, Hasting was not far off scoring with his head. Owing to some interference with a linesman by the spectators, the referee cautioned them to bemore sportsmanlike. After this incident Everton got well away, but Bell went behind with the strong shot. The Southport men were not at all a beaten team, and made a severe attack on Williams charge upon Hasting running down smartly, the ball bobbed about, and after being repulsed with difficulty twice, glance outside off Whittaker foot. Leading up to the interval Everton pressed, and McInnes Bell and Holt each shot, but Smith stooped from the two first named, whilst the goalkeeper attend to the long aim by Holt, and the whistle sounded for halftime with the score- Everton 2 goals, Southport Central nil.

The first item on resuming was in Halsall shooting outside, and Everton, but offside took up this play and hands spoiled two separate movements. Chadwick had a running aim, which forced a corner, nullified by D.McLaren. The ball was appentaly taken up by Hartley, Chadwick, and Bell in particular, and invariably driven out. Stewart came on for some employment however, by Whittaker and Hollows. He came off best as a rule, but once he was beaten, a corner brings conceded. Play was promptly removed to the other end, where Bell but in very hard, and Gee saved with his fist. A tussle ensued, but McInnes made bad use of a splendid opening by putting wide, though close on goal. Hasting forced his way pass first Boyle, and them Kelso, and centred grandly, Parry cleared but the Central were soon back again, Bryce shot too high. At length Reay scored a heading goal put the goal was disallowed. At length Hasting broke away, when Boyle kicked out. Bell next sent in two string shots, but it was of no avail. Everton, tried another hot attack with the same barrier reself, the Central falling smartly back on their goal and intercepting all their shots. Chadwick then shot, only to find gee ready with his hands. Halsall next beat Holt, and the sequal was in Bryce and halsall each shooting well. parry saving by kicking out. Time was now running short, and it seemed as though the home team would hold out, but just on the finish, Reay centrel to Hartley, who headed into goal, Gee played the ball, but it went to Bell, who made a quick return shot, which went into the net, and so Everton won by 3 goals to nil.



February 4 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Goodison Park, before, a moderate crowd. The ground had been put into good condition. Play opened evenly both goals having narrow escapes. Afterwards Geary and Mullen had hard lines for their respective sides but eventually the latter scored after a smart rally, Geary equalised. Everton scoring a second from a corner kick. Soon after resuming Geary scored a third for Everton, Walker following with a fourth and McMillan a fifth. Final result Everton 5 Paisey St Mirren 1 goal.

Everton team: - Cain, goal, Adams and Arridges, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Elliott, halfbacks, Williams Murray, Geary, McMillan, and Handford, forwards.



February 4 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton put two teams in the field on Saturday, and opinion were divided as to which, was the better combination. Anyhow those left at home at Goodison Park were clever enough to defeat Paisley St Mirren, who stand fourth in the Scottish League, by five goals to one whereas the other eleven players could but beat Southport Central by three goals to nil. The doubt victory satisfactory, but no one who say the game at Southport came away well pleased. The win was decisive certainly; but the play of the Everton team was not great-that is, it rather shattered than created confidence in the team's ability to face with ‘'credit and renown'' the various important tests which, loom up before them-the remaining League matches, and the English Cup and Lancashire Cup competitions. The forward department of the team must occasion much concerns to the executive, who have to render, if possible a good account of their stewardship, when the day of reckoning comes round, or they will have to retire for others. It may seen little paradoxical to blame the officials for the failure of the team, but still the burden is theirs. Their selection of Saturday was an enigma. It is true that the play of the Sheffield United match was bad and a remedy had to be found-some Jonah had to be thrown overboard. But the directors apparently erred in over-zeal. They offered up not one sacrifice, but two. In the action they have inflicted an injustice, and damaged their reputation for tact, Now Everton did not score the number of goals they ought to have done against Sheffield United. That is conceded unanimously. But why was it ? Primarily, because Storrier was more vigorous than skilful, and that Geary was irriated, and thus rendered erratic. Well, these two players had thus forfeited their right to be re selected at least for a time, and it was only proper that a change should be made. Holt, recovered from a sore throat naturally returned to the place he had filled so frequently, and well, and then came the difficulty as to who should go centre forward. Hartley or Milward. The forwards was chosen despite his poor play against Sheffield Wednesday on New Year's Day, and Milward the hero of Everton's greatest win this season-over Aston Villa-superseded. There with Latta still incapacitated the outside rightwing position was in the market,'' and again Milward's achievement in that position against Aston Villa were ignored and Reay who had been on the injured list, substituted Reay is a good promising player, and would be a terror had he as much pluck as he has speed and command of the ball but he has not the claim that Milward has, whose record this season, shunted and shifted about as he has been for the few great matches, he has played in, will bear comparison with any of his more well favoured colleagues, and if we are correct in our memory, he played the most conspicuous part in effecting drawn games at a severe much, with Sunderland and Sheffield United at Goodison Park. It cannot be said that Milward had played badly-it is more the other way, and even if he had not done well, it could scarely be suprising seeing that he is in a different position every other match. No, Milward, has not forfeited his title to comsideration, and many will think with us and he that an injustice has been done. He is aggrieved naturally so, and has been driven once more to ask for his papers feeling sure that he could readily find employers who would be more appreciative. The matter will be fully gone into. No doubt, at the next meeting of the directors, for if Everton are to enter the semi final of the Lancashire Cup Competition, they must needs beat the Bolton Wanderers again at Pike's lane, and to do so they will want a team at once fearless skilful, and enthusiastic features that were too much absent on Saturday; and above all, Milward should find a place among the forwards. Of the play against Southport Central, it went assistual of late, on the old lines of Everton having the bulk of the attack and in the forwards making indifferent use of their chances. Bell alone played up to his reputation; but Reay injured leg bothered him in the second half, and this caused some disorganisation. The other parts of the team were all right and how well did the halfbacks, and backs play is proved by the fact that Williams was only called upon once in the second half. Southport Central defended courageously, and stopped the attackers time innumerable. It may not have been done in a skilful manner, but they got the ball diverted, and by the activity of Gee Smith, and D.McLean, in particular, the scoring was kept down to respectable dimensions. The forwards were speedy, Hasting especially so, but there was not much combination on though Halsall scored several tomes off Holt at centre whilst their shooting was poor, the passing at close quarters being badly taken, the players suffering from excitement. Supporters of Everton and all whom it may concern are reminded that next Thursday the annual theatentical gala takes place at Goodison park, and given fine weather a wealth of fun will be detailed to no doubt an immense crowd. The proceeds are for the hospital. Entertainment and charity are thus the incentives.



February 11 1895. The Liverpool mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup

This tie was played off at pike lane on Saturday, before 8,000 spectators the ‘'gate'' realising just over £200. Both clubs were in command of strong team. Bentley, after many weeks absence, reappeared for the Wanderers whilst Milward was reinstated on the right wing of Everton. The ground cleared of all snow, was in excellent condition, though of course on the hard and rather slippery side. There was little or no wind, and everything was favourable for a fast game, which in fact ensued. Mr. S. Ormerod officiated as referee whilst the linesmen were representative from the respective clubs. The following teams took up their position prompt to the advertised time: - Bolton Wanderers: - Sutton, goal, Somerville and Jones (captain), backs, Paton, McGeachan, and Freebairn, halfbacks, Tannahill, Cassidy, Henderson, Setlle, and Bentley, forwards. Everton: - Williams, goals, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart halfbacks, Milward, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Bell forwards. Hartley kicked off with the sun in his eyes and Parry checked a raid. From a thrown in on the visitors right, Chadwick had first shot at goal, but went outside by a yard. Bolton had two free kicks, the second one being near in. Jones took this direct for goal when a good save was made. Everton replied on the right, where they forced a corner, and before the Wanderers could clear their lines the forwards went nicely, and Hartley finished off the movement by beating Sutcliffe. Everton thus assumed the lead five minutes of the start. Bolton went strongly on restarting and pressed but were prevented shooting accurately Cassidy and McGeachan both failing when the opportunity arrived. The game on the hard ground, was very fast and on Holt and Kelso defending well, the Everton forwards showed up in good combination thereby harassing the defence severely. Milward and McInnes were conspicuous just now, the latter shooting outside with somewhat too slow a kick. The other forwards also had a turn and the formation backed up by superb halfbacks play, was very clever. However, they were repulsed several times, and on the Bolton forwards breaking away on the right Parry took the ball grandly from the toes of Cassidy. Holt moved on, and gave to Chadwick, who scored with a beautiful shot. Boyle next removed danger, and the outcome was in the visitors again showing pretty forward tactics, but Milward erred in running the ball, right across the field to the left wing and in being easily robbed. Holt was penalised but Bolton gained little from the free kick, and soon Milward took fair aim Sutcliffe saving. The Wanderers now improved gaining in energy, when Cassidy let fly from a long range missing by only a few feet. Thus encouraged, the home team again went strongly, but Kelso and Boyle were both particularly smart in meeting the ball. A chance came to Freebairn, but he missed, and holding out on further pressure. Everton went straight away, Hartley shooting to Sutcliffe. A scrimmage ensued in front of goal, and relief only came on the referee sounding his whistle. The Wanderers at the lead of Henderson and Settle, went quickly to the other end, and on Bentley centring when seeming to be offside, Cassidy administered a sharp return, and scored with the game 30 minutes old. The home team were very aggressive for a time following this success, but found the defence too active to be again beaten. The tendency of the play was certainly in favour of the Bolton men at this period but though they infused never so much spirit into the game, they were face to face with most resourceful defenders the heading work of Everton when hard pressed being very effective. Getting clear, Hartley found Sutcliffe in two minds, but the custodian was just in time to clear. The players fitted up and down with much regularity each goal being placed in danger, but leading directly up to the interval the Wanderers were the most threatening with their long swinging passes, and ready shooting. The defence of Everton if fully extended was equal to the exacting demands and halftime arrived with the score-Everton 2 goals, Wanderers 1 goal.

The second stage opened in a sensational manner, as the Wanderers forced a corner, in attending to which Bell almost headed into his own goal. A second corner ensued, when Holt cleared. Chadwick and Bell moved away, but the attack failed on Chadwick driving hard against the end of the net. Sutcliffe next used his fists. Chadwick and Bell returned to the siege, and Everton had a fine chance, at Sutcliffe lost slight of the ball, but he recovered himself in time to pick up from the scrimmage. Admist much excitement the Wanderers got down on the right wing, were so menacing that Parry had to kick out. From the throw in Everton was hard put to it, but Parry was in his proper place, and extricated his side from a great difficulty. At the end there were a series of throw in, but they came to nothing, and then Williams saved from Cassidy, despite the fact that Settle charged him, and a colleague down on the ground, Parry rushing to the rescue. The Wanderers continued to go, strongly, giving a lot of trouble, and it was only by Herculean efforts en masse that disaster was tidel over. The play now beame more exciting than ever. The Everton forwards had fallen off, and those of the home team had improved, but once more Parry and Kelso displayed safe tactics, and the Wanderers were beaten off when it seemed almost impossible that they would be. A hard shot from the Everton left however, caused Sutcliffe to run out a long distance in order to clear. A free kick near in to Williams opened up another probability of the Wanderers equalising, but Parry headed away with coolness. Chadwick ran off, and supported by Bell, brought much pressure to bear upon the Bolton goal. There was no getting through, however, and then Sutcliffe fisted out, after Somerville had kicked into touch. The run of the game took a turn more favourable to Everton, but the defence was still too good. A doubtful decision gave a free kick to the home team near in, and Paton well placed the ball, which was finally headed over the bar. Form a run by Bell the Everton forwards showed much smartness in front of goal. Milward shot in hard along the ground, but Jones stopped accidentenfully. It did not matter much, however, as, on Milward heading back on goal, Hartley had no trouble in beating Sutcliffe, ten minutes before the finish. Now leading by three goals to one, Everton were no longer anxious about the result, and had the best of the remaining play. Hartley once shot so splendidly, but Sutcliffe saved equally well. The last incident was in the Wanderers taking up the attack, but Hemderson was again weak at the crucial moment, and when Mr. Ormerod gave the signal to cease operations. Everton had won a hard, exciting game by 3 goals to 1.



February 11 1895. The Liverpool mercury

This friendly was played at Goodison park on Saturday, when a well contested match resulted in a win for Everton, who scored twice in the first half, by 3 goals to 1. Everton: - Cain, goal, Boylan and Arridge, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Elliott halfbacks, McDonald, Clarke, Williams (w), McMillan, Handford, forwards.



February 11 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The lancashire cup competition created unusual attention among the Liverpoolians in particular and Lancastrians in general on Saturday and the net result is very satisfactory as both Everton and Liverpool, though opposed by such doughy teams as the bolton Wanderers, and blackburn Rovers respectively, survived the ordeal and have thus equlified for the semi-final stage. The possibilities is accordingly great that our local rivals may meet in the next round and if so, it is scarily conceivable to picture a more absorting combat and one, whatever, played, more doubtful in its issue. Everton had the greatest task set them on Saturday, for it is a masterly performance to make a successful assault upon the Bolton Wanderers when the ‘'Trotters'' are entrenched at Pike's Lane by thick lines of noisy cheering supporters. But Everton certainly might have exclaimed on Saturday afternoon with a famous Roman general of the misty past. I came, I saw. I conquered'' Well, it was a great football battle, brimful of science energy and endurance and though the excitement could never have been

More emphasied carried out in a fair sportsmanlike way. Everton deserved their victory, but at the same time sympathy must be extended to the Bolton Wanderers for their pluck dash, and skill at a period when the game seemed to have been hopelessly snatched from their grasp. Up to this time Everton had scored their second goal they were so superior at all points of the play that a very decisive appeared inevitable, but suddenly a complete change came over the scene except in the matter of scoring, and for the next half an hour the Wanderers by long passing and determined rushes were the more aggressive. During this aspect of the contest the home team had some hard luck, and some good luck too, as many though Bentley was offside, when he played the ball which led up to the goal awarded to Bolton. Their bad luck was in rapiding very powerfully time after time, and in being dashed either by a poor final shot or some marvellous save by one or others of the clever Everton defenders. Towards the finish the staying powers of the visitors asserted themselves, and when Hartley put on the third goal ten minutes off time, everyone thought truly that the point clinched the argument in favour of Everton. Whatever has been the play of the Goodisonian contingent against other teams, it has been singularly consistent when opposed to the Bolton wanderers, for on three separate occasions this season Everton have beaten them by the identical margin of three goals to one-twice in the League and the cup tie. The team on Saturday worked well together, and was better balanced then in several recent matches. There is no doubt that the eleven players selected are the best representation of Everton at the present moments, and if all are fit and well should not be disturbed, for their play in the Bolton match cannot but inspire confidence its proving sufficient to impose the overflow of the blackburn Rovers in the English Cup tie at Goodison Park next Saturday. To be well prepared for the tussle, the team have returned to the braiding atmosphere of west Kirby. Undoubtedly, Everton owe their latest win more particularly to the splendid defence, Kelso came out well, but Parry had the more to do, and got through the severn test in the most daring and accomplished manner. Some of his saves in the goalmouth were really marvellous and altogether Parry played, perhaps the finest game he has over done. He fairly override the right wing men, and every one was ready to gave him praise. And yet Kelso was scarely less brilliant when the pinch came. Williams too, acquitted himself well in goal, and had no chance with the shot that scored, which considered to have risen out of offside play. The halfbacks were up to their inform excellent standard. Holt completely foiled Henderson, who was thus rendered impotent especially when nearing for goal. Stewart had a lot of demands upon him by Tannihill and Cassidy, who were the strongest wing, but he scored many a success. Boyle raid close attention to bentley and Settle, and was found as a rule in his place to help the backs when necessary. The defence department of Everton in short, will rank favourably with any in the country, as manned on Saturday. The forward section of the team however, did not qualify for such unaided commendation Still, their general tactics were a vast improvement upon what have been shown for some time, and the quintet will no doubt steadily improve match by match, if they are given, a fair chance. The trouble of Everton have been the of recurring disturbance-unavoidable we admit of the frontline, but in the formation of Saturday will probably be discovered the ‘'lost chord''Hartley kept up throughout at centre controlling his wings with much that, whilst that, while his shooting was invariably timely made. If he will but pay due attention to condition there is no reason why he should not become firmly established in that difficult position. He has all the qualifications for the office-speed weight, and skill-and will have no one but himself to blame if he should be removed. Milward returned to his proper place on the outside right, and brought his dash, judgement and shooting powers into full play to the advancement of his reputation and to the advantage of his club. McInnes had thus a better chance of displaying his worth, and he was good beyond cavil. If any exception could be taken to Hartley it was that during the earlier part of the second half he fed the left wing a little too much to the neglect of the right. However Chadwick and Bell were very spirited, but the latter too often got far into the corner, before centring, and thus put a bad finish upon other was bright play.



February 15, 1895. The Broadford Courier & Reedy Creek Times (Austraila)

The famous centre half back of the Everton Football Club, which position the “genial Jack” justly describes as “one of the hardest shot in football,” says:- “I don't think it is good thing for a player to eat pastry or any very fatty food, but plenty of good, wholesome food, avoiding sprits and beers. They tend to make a fellow short –winded and bloated. “I do not take part in any particular pastime in the summer, except that of saltwater swimming, which I consider is one of the best methods of keeping a man in good condition. “In my opinion, the by way of training is walking and sprinting; a long, good walk between breakfast and dinner, and a sprint in the afternoon about 4 o'clock, after which a good rubbing down with rough towels, following by a rub with flesh gloves, is beneficial. “Dumb-bell exercise is very good for expending the chest etc., and materially strengthens and expands the breathing.”


February 18 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This tie was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, in the presence of 20,000. The ground had been put into a splendid condition and everything favoured a fast game by the following players: - Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart halfbacks, Milward, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Ogilvie, goal; Brandon and Murray, backs, Forrest, Anderson (captain), and Cleghorn, halfbacks, Gordon, Killean, Hargreaves, Haydock, and Chippdale forwards. Mr. J.H.Strawson (Lincoln) was referee. Anderson beat Boyle in the spin of the coin, but no advantage was gained for though the Evertonians started facing the sun they had to slight breeze behind him. The play opened brisky and in the first minute the ball was sent over the Everton line by Chippendale, but from the goal kick the home van got well down, only to find Brandon in good defensive form, and Hergreaves fastening on the ball, ran smartly along the centre until encountered by Holt, who neatly robbed him of the ball, and Chadwick made but a feeble effort to score. Another attempt to lower the Blackburn colours by Boyle resulted in a further goal kick, but on again attacking Chadwick forced a corner off Murray. The ball was however, safely got away, and from a free kick to Everton a further attack resulted in Brandon clearing grandly from close quarters. Similarity of jerseys caused a delay while Holt donned one of deeper hue, and on the players getting to work again the ball was taken down to Williams charge, where Parry effected a splendid save, which was supplemented by Bell initiating an attack, and further head way was made on Hargreaves being at fault. Parry took a free kick, and gave Chadwick a fair chance to score, but he shot high over the bar, and from the goal kick Gordon ran and forced a corner, which, however, came to nothing. Again the Rovers attacked through the efforts of Gordon and killean, but Stewart was eventually too clever for them, and giving Bell the other end was reached. A capital centre by the Everton left was well met by Forrest, who sent strongly down. A moment later Parry was successful in coping with a strong attack on his goal, but immediately following Forrest dropped the ball in front of goal, and it bounced on top of the net. A smart movement by the home forwards Hartley in particularly being prominent resulted in Ogilvie having an anxious time, but after a sustained pressure Haydock, Hargreaves and Gordon raced nicely down, and parting to Chippendale the home backs were beaten, but when success seemed certain Chippendale made a very poor effort to take the lead, as the ball went yards wide of the net. From the goal kick Milward made ground and passed to McInnes, who in turn gave to Hartley, but a promising opening was not taken advantage of. Chadwick followed with a shot, but Ogilvie fisted clear, following which, Parry was busy in attending to well-directed efforts on the part of Gordon and Killean. At length Bell got possession and parting to Chadwick, the latter shot in, and the ball glided off Murray's cranium into the net, this the first pint, being obtained after 27 minutes play. On restarting pressure was brought to bear on the home left, and Kelso conceded a harmless corner. Following which Cleghorn had a chance to equalise matters, but was a long way out of his reckoning. Williams was immediately afterwards tested by Hargreaves but was in readiness, and Bell ran well down, supported by Chadwick, and Hartley, getting within scoring range, when Cleghorn eased matters, for his side by giving a corner, which was smartly got away by Forrest. Haydock than had a clear chance to score, practically having no opposition, but shot faultily. Following which, a fine movement by Chadwick and Bell was neutralised on the ball being well centred through ‘'Hands'' against McInnes in front of goal when steadying for a shot. On coming up again McInnes shot behind, and getting to work once more Bell took the ball down and sent in a beauty which Milward in attempting to improve headed outside. A grand rush midfield resulted in hands against Everton, and from the free kick taken by Brandon, Holt headed out of goal, only to find Forrest prepared, and he equalised matters. Almost immediately afterwards McInnes missed scoring by the nearest shave, and for next few minutes the Everton van kept up a strong pressure, but were not too fortunate i8n shooting. Restarting, Williams was called upon, and fisted out strongly, and from a free kick Boyle placed the ball well in front, but the Rovers defence proved impenetrate. After a sustained assault at the Rovers end, half time announced with the score one goal each.

Hargreaves restarted, and following a few even exchanges Chadwick shot slightly wide when Boyle placed the ball well in the mouth of the Rovers goal. Hartley eventually heading over the line. From the goal kick a movement was made to Williams charge, but the stay was not maintained, and Chadwick and Bell went nicely down, but in the final effort Hartley put the ball behind. From a free kick close to the Everton Half, Milward headed the ball to Chippendale, who on returning just skimmed the bar. Killean following with a near shot. Murray met a visit to the other end, when Chippendale got nicely away, but was challenged by Boyle who prevented a centre. In reply, the Everton forwards closed in, but McInnes finished badly. A free kick against Kelso came to nothing. Boyle removing danger, the outcome of which, was that Bell headed splendidly for goal, missing by inches only. Milward next went outside with a low shot, but shortly afterwards passed to McInnes and Bell receiving the ball headed for goal, but the whistle sounded for offside. A moment later Gordon was not far wide of the mark with a screwing shot. Everton was then within a shave of scoring, Bell screwing in, and Hartley heading to Ogilvie, who saved somewhat luckily. A corner forced off Brandon was badly placed, and from a similar concession at the other end Milward and Chadwick put in timely kicks, as did kelso and Boyle, with the result that the Evertonians again got in good position. The play ran on fairly even lines for some minutes, when Evertonians moved to the front, but found stout defenders in Murray and Brandon. At length Chadwick, Bell and McInnes got nicely down, and a chance was opened out for the last named player, who, however, was slow to take the opportunity, and Murray stepped into the breach. A minute later Chadwick sent in a stinger, which justed grazed the bar. Towards the close a hot siege was laid to the Blackburn goal, and Ogilvie came to the rescue in marvellous fashion. Hargreaves got in a long shot, which bouncing high compelled Williams to concede a corner. The ball was got safely away, and the whistle shortly afterwards brought the keen game to a close, with the score- Everton 1 goal, Rovers 1 goal.



February 18 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

At Newton. The ground was covered with snow, but a good game was witnessed. Mytton scored for Newton, and after this the Everton forwards attacked, and McMillan scored the first for Everton. This was quickly followed by four others the score at half-time being 5 goals to 1 in favour of Everton. Nothing was scored in the second half.

Everton team: - Sutton, goal, Baylon, and Arridge, backs, McDonald, Taylor, and Elliott halfbacks, Williams, Clarke, Hughes, McMillan, and Hill, forwards.



February 18 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The game between Everton and Blackburn Rovers had it usual magnetic effect upon the Liverpool, and Blackburn football public and the ‘'gate'' amounted to £508. This sum would indicate that about 20,000 spectators were present, which is a great assembly considering that so many thousands of working men, are at present thrown out of employment through the severe weather. But the less fortunate were not forgotten, and messrs Coates, Jackson, and others, with lady assistants collected a goodly amount of money for the relief of those who are temporally in need. The play was enjoyable, the sun neutralising to some extent the keenest of the atmosphere, whilst the ground was in such splendid condition as to be a great credit to Mr. Wilson and his lenghmen. It was of course hard, but not dangerous, and the game was naturally carried on a great pace. The ball indeed travelled too quickly, and being lively, bounced a good deal, thus spoiling the play to a very great extent. This impediment will, perhaps explain their disappointing display of the Everton forwards. They were not seen to anything like the same advantage as when at Pike's lane. Of course they were opposed by exceptionally clever halfbacks in Forrest, Anderson and Cleghorn; but it was not in the field work that they failed-it was when within range of goal. They carried on more of the attack then did the Rovers, and therefore had more shorts, but these were of a too mixed quality, and every one helped to bring about the draw of as goal each which, ensued by bad shooting at some period or other. Milward was particularly unfortunate not only in his shooting, but in his passing Kicking the springy ball too hard. Once the sphere seemed to be going into goal from the left wing, when in his endeavour to make assurance doubly sure, he diverted its passage and placed it outside. He however, cannot be held solely responsible for the partial failure of the team. Hartley also fell off from his play of the previous Saturday, with the consequence that many of the attack, however, good in their inception, lacked the requisits finish to overcome the strong defence Chadwick and Bell were seen to the greatest advantage, the former working very hard, whilst the latter contributed a succession of grand centres. McInnes was handicapped by bring flankled by two players a bit off colour, but he came out well, though he has been seen in better shooting vein. It will thus be gathered that the Everton forwards were not, as whole satisfactory, but the executive with hesitates, no doubt to make further experiments. It must not be forgotten that they were opposed by halfbacks and backs as good as any in the country, not even excepting those of Everton, and they will very likely render a much more pleasing account of themselves if chosen to play in the return match at Ewood, which, it has been proposed, should take place on Wednesday. The half-backs play of Boyle Holt and Stewart-especially the first named was a dominant feature; but clever as they were they could not prevent the Rovers forward displaying good combination the tactics of Gordon, Killean Hargreaves Haydock, and Chippendale, being those of the long passing order with a crisp finish for goal. Parry and Kelso were accordingly in requisition often and was safe and fearless. Williams was thought by some to blame in allowing the goal, but it was the outcome of a smart return from Forrest, and though he had so much to do as the Rovers custodian he saved a few very menacing shots. The visitors were powerful in defence both Brandon and Murray getting through a heavy demand in a masterly style, meeting shot, and man with great tact. The halfbacks were up to the high standard of Everton whilst the forwards, as already mentioned worked so well together that Whitehead's absence was not greatly felt.


February 18, 1895. Yorkshire Herald.

As had been generally expected, a very large company assembled to witness this match at Liverpool, the attendance being estimated at about twenty thousand. The Everton team began in fine style, and for a time had all the best of the exchanges, but could not break through the Rovers' defence. After Blackburn had cleared from a corner, Chadwick, for Everton, made a good shot at goal, which just failed. In their turn, the Rovers commenced to charge, and Forrest almost got through, but ultimately Murray headed the ball through his own goal, thus giving the first point to Everton. Continuing their pressure, the home side nearly succeeded in scoring again, but the Rovers checked the attack, and amidst great excitement Forrest equalised matters, the score at half-time standing at one goal each. The play was very fast at the opening of the second half, Everton attacking with great vigour. At length, however, the Rovers broke away, and a shot by Chippendale went over the bar. Soon afterwards Bell nearly succeeded in scoring for Everton, with a capital screw shot, and Milward also went very close. However, as matters turned out, there was no further scoring and a fine contest thus ended in a draw of one goal each.



February 21, 1895. The Yorkshire Herald.

Second Round -Replayed Tie.

Blackburn Rovers v. Everton.

At Blackburn, yesterday, before 20,000 spectators Everton kicked off, and the Rovers scored from a corner in the first five minutes. Chadwick equalised with a beautiful shot ten minutes later. Milward then added another for Everton. Some exciting play followed, and Gordon scored for the Rovers five minutes before the interval. Nothing more was scored before half-time, which arrived with score two goals each. When the game was resumed both teams had a turn at attacking, Ogilvie and Williams being called on to save. After half an hour's play Hartley (the Everton centre forward) scored with a capital with a capital shot. The Rovers struggled hard to equalise, but failed through wretched shooting, their play in front of goal being very weak through they had plenty of chances to score. Result; Everton 3, goals; Rovers 2.


February 21, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

The tie between these clubs at Goodison Park on Saturday was played off at Blackburn yesterday afternoon, in dull and cold weather, and on a fairly good ground. Both teams were the same as before, except that Whitehead displaced Killean in the Rovers' front rank. There were 20,000 spectators when the game started. The visitors were the first to get down, but Milward stumbled to trying to take a pass from Chadwick. Hargreaves then got possession, and took a long-range shot, which missed the goal by six yards. Four minutes from the start a corner was conceded to the Rovers, and Kelso struck the bar, the ball rebounding into the net. Milward retired, and the Rovers had the best of the game until his return, when Everton improved, and after a splendid run by the left wing Chadwick equalised. For several minutes play was uneventful, but then Everton were awarded a corner, but this was badly placed. Chippendale raced away, and Parry, in trying to stop him, handled the ball. From the free kick the Rovers had hard lines, Haydock skimming the bar. A free kick against Hargreaves for fouling Holt enabled Geary to score, and seven minutes from the interval Chippendale again equalised. In the second half the game opened very evenly, but the excitement was not nearly so high as in the first half, neither goalkeeper being called upon to do much. At length however, Hartley scored a third goal for Everton. The Rovers then pressed hard, but spoiled everything by bad shooting. Result; Everton 3, Blackburn Rovers 2.



February 21 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This replayed cup tie in the second round of the above competition was set down for decision at Ewood Park, Blackburn yesterday. There was a large attendance numbering about 18,000. Bell was absent from the Everton team owing to an attack of influence Geary going outside right and Milward returning to his old position at outside left, whilst Whitehead reappeared for the Rovers. Teams: - Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Geary, McInnes, Hartley Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Rovers: - Ogilvie, goal, Brandon, and Murray, backs, Forrest, Asnderson (captain), and Cleghorn, halfbacks, Gordon, Whitehead, Hargreaves, Haydock, and Chippendale, forwards. Mr Strawson officiated as referee. The start was exciting, the home team taking up the attack but they were soon beaten off and in turn Chadwick and McInnes were dangerous, but Murray checked. Parry, from which, Gordon placed, and Haydock cut into goal. The Rovers thus scored within a few minutes. Everton went well from the restart, and during the pressure Milward retired temporarily owing to nails piercing through the soles of his boots. In the meantime Whitehead and Hargreaves both seemed to have chances, but were so closely tackled by the backs that they could not shoot properly. So soon as Milward had returned Hartley had a shoot into Ogilvie's hands, but the whistle sounded for offside. The interference of the referee was of small moment, however, as Chadwick receiving from Hartley, Saw a chance, and shooting beautifully into the net equalised. A hugh shout was sent forth, which showed that Everton had a big following present. Chadwick made a fine effort a little later, but was not quite quick enough to beat Brandon. Haydock had the next opening, but shot badly, and the tendency of play went strongly in favour of Everton who ran the ball in frequently without being permitted to take likely aim. A corner taken by Geary let in Chippendale, who ran on, which hands was awarded against Parry. From this the Rovers pressed, but Haydock once more shot wide of the mark. Hargreaves returned, and passed Kelso, when Parry rushed across and stemmed danger without clearing Whitehead shooting over. Parry came to the rescue once more, and then Hartley whilst in the set of taking aim at goal was heavily charged down by Brandon. The Rovers were very dashing, and harassed the Everton backs, but for the third time Haydock made a miserable attempt at scoring. Hartley on the other hand ran in closely, and from the pressure ensuing Geary shot in, and Milward completed Everton's second goal, at the end of 25 minutes, out of a scrimmage. Excitement was created on resuming in front of William's charge, when several good shots were assayed, one of which Kelso clucked. Williams also saved a hot one, whilst a third effort resulted in the ball flying over the bar. Hartley and Chadwick became conspicuous in a renewed attack by Everton, the latter shooting in straight from long range, but the goalkeeper was ready. A second reverse then befel the visitors, as from a well sustained assault by the whole of the Rovers forwards. Gordon made the score again equal. Boyle next placed up nicely to Geary and Hartley, who worked the ball to McInnes, but Murray held off the latter with difficulty. The play was of the fastest kind, but the Rovers were the most aggressive being quickly in their kicking than Everton, and twice Williams had to use his feet to shots. Gordon then had a chance, after Everton had survived a free kick close in, but he shot too high. The ball was returned to goal, when Parry effected a fine clearance, and the interval arrived with the score two goals each. The Rovers in the second half had the help of the wind, with the sun which, now shone brightly at their backs. They were the first to attack on resuming, but though the forwards played smartly, to each other they could not get in, Kelso tackling the left wing gamely when the punch came. Getting well away, Everton were threatening from Geary centre, but the left was responded badly. The play was promptly diverted, and in turn both Kelso and Parry were inrequisition, and acquitted themselves effectively, Everton gained from a free kick, but were not keen enough when at shooting distance. Some fine passing by the home team looked ominous for Everton had not Stewart, Parry Kelso, and Holt in turn splendidly intercepted. Hartley then ran down on two separate occasions. Once hands robbed him, but at the second attempt Ogilvie had to run out to kick the ball more neutral ground, Chadwick making poor use of a return shot Holt, who struck like a feech to Hargreaves, was penalised for fouling the centre forward, the outcome of which, was in Hargreaves essaying too high a shot. Chadwick replied with good play, but was accorded small support, and nothing came of the movement whilst Gordon was faulty at the other end of the field. He however, made amends a minute later by clearing in, but Parry and Boyle were in their right places. Geary made an attempt to get away without effect, and Everton found themselves in troubled waters when Stewart fouled Whitehead. From the free kick Williams had to gave a corner in repulsing the hard shot. The Everton defence were destined to have a further hard time of it, and came out strongly, their forwards having fallen off considerably, so much so that they could not keep sufficiently on the attack to cause the home defence much anxiety. Williams effected a further clever save, the ball going outside from a shot by Forrest. The visitors now improved somewhat, but yet lacked the incisiveness of their rivals, though Milward called upon Ogilvie with a long shot. In retaliation, the Rovers grew menacing on the right wing. Williams clearing at the expense of a corner. Then a surprise was in store for the spectators, as on Chadwick, passing, Hartley ran cleanly between the two backs and drove the ball into the net, and gave Everton the lead twelve minutes from the finish. Milward now went top the help of the halfbacks, and Everton accordingly adopted defensive tactics. There was considerable danger frequently during the remaining minutes of play, but the Rovers were so well taken in hand that sound shooting was not easy. New, and again the Everton quartet of forwards would breakaway, Chadwick getting near enough in to exact a corner kick, which was readily repulsed. The Rovers again made for goal, and again met with impenetrate defence, and to the relief of the Evertonians, their left wing once more raced to the other end, where Chadwick made a magnificent but futile effort to place his side further ahead. He shot in vain, and a great game came to a termination, in a clever win for Everton by 3 goals to 2. The ‘'gate'' realised £433 about 1,000 execurtions journeying from Liverpool, who were gratified to see the Everton men in a most dashing vein. Hartley played an especially strong game, and on arriving at the Exchange station. Was carried shoulder high, and lustily cheered. The back play of Kelso and Parry, and the goalkeeping of Williams, were also loading factors in the cause of victory, Everton will meet Sheffield Wednesday at Olive Grove, in the next round.



January 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

These popular teams met at Goodison Park on Saturday to determine their return League match, the first game having been won by Everton with the score of two to one. There was again a large gathering who, if not so numberous as at several prior meetings of these clubs, yet numbered about 20,000, whilst the gate taking amounted to £494. Both organisations had to make important changes in their teams. Holt had received a slight injury to one of his legs and Stewart was suffering from a cold. This necessitated the entire re-arrangement of the Everton halfbacks line, whilst Adams reappeared as partner to Parry. The absent Prestonians were Grier, Becton, and Dunn, who had not been giving satisfaction, and so R.Howarth, the exEvertonian captain, joined Holmes in the defence the names of the players being- Everton: - Williams, goal, Adams and Parry backs, Kelso, Boyle (captain), and Elliott, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Howarth, and Holmes backs, Sharp, Sanders, and Orr, halfbacks, Henderson, Barr, Smith, Cummingham, and Drummond forwards. Mr. John Lewis (Blackburn) officiated as referee .

Boyle won the toss, but no advantage was gained, thereby, as there was little wind. Everton commenced the attack on both wings, when McInnes failed in a shot from the pass of Milward, but during the sustained pressure Hartley drove in very hard to Trainor who made a capital save. Smith essayed a run, but was cheered by Boyle who followed up by placing nicely towards goal. North End defended well, and then became aggressive going down on the right, where Henderson centred. There was some miskicking by Kelso and Adams, from which, danger threatened, but Sanders finished badly by shooting high over the bar. Adams was again at fault, and let in Cunningham who shot just outside. Everton moved off from the goal kick on the right, but could not get through notwithstanding a fine effort by Chadwick. Preston North End were more successful as, on Adams giving a corner, the tension was not relaxed until Drummond had centred and Henderson had scored, the game having been in progess a quarter of an hour when this reverse occurred to Everton. After further pressure by Preston, Kelso and Chadwick jointly placed Milward in possession, and he shot very well, missing with the left foot by only a few inches. Still the visitors were playing the better game, and became so threatening that corners had to be conceded but were rendered futile. Adams then made amends for previous weakness by robbing the left wing beautifully, Kelso helped the ball along, as did Hartley, who put across to Chadwick, and who shot low and deadly into goal, giving Trainor no chance whatever. The scoring was this placed upon an equality at the result of 25 minutes play. A little latter, however, North End were very near jumping ahead again as Williams ran out to take the ball, leaving his goal in danger, but Parry protected it finely and removed the venue of operations, sequence of corners falling to Everton. Soon grand play followed by the home forwards and culminated in Milward centring accurately to McInnes, who shard so hard that Trainor dropped the ball, and Hartley scored. Bell next beat Holmes and centred, when Milward also defeated Howarth and scored a clever goal. Everton became now more masters of the situation, and were enabled to level shot upon shot. Hartley and Chadwick having especially good attempts stopped by Trainor. The visitors them broke away strongly, and though Parry administrated a timely check, the lines were not cleared, and Smith finding an opening took fill benefit of it, the score at half time thus being brought up to- Everton 3 goals, Preston North End 2 goals. Upon resuming Barr and Cunningham had shots for Preston North End whilst Howarth stopped one from Everton. Cunningham again called upon Williams who applied a fine save to a fine shot. Everton were also very dangerous at the other end, a shot by Boyle causing much trouble, a corner ensuing from Bell's final effort. After North End had been repulsed Bell made a grand run. He heeled back when about to be tackled recovered the ball, and passed to McInnes, who was tripped by Holmes nothing coming from the free kick. Milward next got under weigh, and tripped Chadwick, who shot, and Bell closing in put on the finish to Everton's fourth goal. The game grew more and more interesting as it advanced bot set of forwards displaying good combination and shooting power. Everton were the most aggressive the play of Bell, in particular being brilliant, but their only reward was in Hartley scoring an adjudged offside goal. Shortly following this incident, Barr gave Williams a severe shot to negotiate, when the custodian could only scoop the ball a little aside. It went to Cunningham, but he though close upon goal, lifted high over the bar. This was about Preston's last chance. The remaining play was in favour of Everton, but who failed to again break down the defence, and an entertaining game resulted Everton 4 goals, Preston North End 2 goals.



January 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

At Deepdale before 3,000 spectators. Play was very fast and determined the score at halftime being Everton 3 goals, Preston 2 goals. Early in the second half Allan eqaulising, and Stormout put North End ahead. Becton added a fifth, and the result was 6 goals to 4 in favour of North End.



Janaury 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton have scored two coveted victories during the past week-over Blackburn Rovers in the Second round of the English cup competition and again over Preston North End in the League. Both these achievements may have a momentous bearing in determining the destination of the English Cup and that of the League Cup. The win at Ewood Park was a most meritorious one, for it is a great thing to successfully tackle the Blackburn Rovers on their own ground in a cup tie, though Everton did a similar performance two seasons ago in connection with the Lancashire Cup. It was all the more significant, too, that Everton did win, as they were without Bell, who always makes his presence fel. But Milward stepped into the breach with credit whilst Geary was far from a failure at outside right, both these players dividing the honours of the second goal. The three inside men, however, were the terror of the Rovers backs. Chadwick was in one of his most resourceful moods as became a Blackburn lad, and his play music have been at once the envy and admiration of his fellow townsmen. Hartley displayed unusual energy, speed and judgement and finished off general good play by scoring one of the best goals conceivable by fast running and incisive shooting. This happened twelve minutes from the end, and clinching the verdict as it did in favour of Everton, it was really understood why he was singled out for an ovation on arriving in Liverpool. There were other players, however, who had merited recognition for splendid work-Hartley would be the first to admit this-and among these, in particular were Holt, who spoilt Hargreaves, and Kelso, who played perhaps his greatest game, which is saying a great deal. Parry too, held the mastery over Gordon and Whitehead in his fearless and safe style, whilst Boyle was always doing something useful. Altogether the defence of Everton was beyond reproach whilst the attack had a better finish than has been frequently the case during the current season. The goalkeeping of Williams was good, if not so brilliant as he has done upon the same ground, but he managed to get the ball away when hard put to it on several occasions. So Williams is entitled to a fair share of the praise that the victory merited. In one respect only did the Rovers surpass Everton, and that was in the swinging movements of the forwards in the open; but they were nearly always forced to shoot too early owing to the game manner in which, they were tackled, with the inevitable result that the shooting was illdirected, especially that of Haydock and Gordon.

On Saturday Everton had to make to greater experiment in their League match with Preston North End, but the latter also had to effect several changes in their team, and so they met under somewhat equal conditions. The halfbacks line of Everton was entirely different Holt and Stewart being on the sick list. Boyle, in this emergency, made an acceptable centre man, Kelso a useful right halfback and Elliott a plucky if injudicious left halfback. Adams had a chance of again distinguishing himself for otherwise as right fullback, and the impression he made is not one that inspires confidence. He was very shaky at the start, but improved later on. The test of the power of a man is to be ready at the outset, and so materially help in availing the necessity of fighting an uphill battle. As it happened Preston North End scored the first goal and this might have been sufficient to secure a win, but it served at the proverbial red rag to Everton, and the game was at once lifted from its somewhat passive tone to one of vivacity, Bell had sufficiently recovered and, it not being though worth while the shift Milward from the left wing, he went outside right, and the front line seemed on balance to a nicety. The five – Bell, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward-went with a splendid swing, and though Hartley, paying the penalty for his conspicuous play at Blackburn, was well watched by Sanders, the combination was firm, and the raiding on goal well conceived and spitted. Bell was really brilliant on the right and McInnes and he gave a delightful display. Chadwick and Milward were scarely less effective on the left doing most serviceable work during the first half, and the quintet will no doubt be found as effective if selected for the match with Sheffield United to-morrow, Parry was again to the fore, and williams, if anything improved on his Blackburn performance. Trainor was all right in goal for Preston, but he had two moderate backs in Howarth and holmes to shield him. Sanders were the best of the halfbacks, and the forwards gave a clever exhibition-indeed, the forwards were the strong element in both teams.


It will gave satisfaction to Everton supporters to know that Hillman has been secured, than whom there is no finer goalkeeper in the country. Tall of stature, muscular of frame, and fearless of danger he is most resourceful and difficult to beat-when he is in forth. He declares, however, his intention of qualifying for his international cap next season. If he does so he will have kept himself in condition to the advantage, of the Everton club. He will be welcomed, and will find the Liverpool public appreciative, but it remains with himself to assure and maintain popularity.


February 25, 1895. Yorkshire Herald.

Played at Liverpool before 20,000 spectators. North End were the first to score through Henderson, but Everton, who had rather a weak team owing to the ravages of influenza, afterwards played a good game, and Chadwick, Hartley, and Milward all score. After Trainer had effected several grand saves North End attacked again, and Smith scored. Half-time score –Everton 3 goals to North End 2. Play for some time went all in Everton's favour, and after Trainer had saved his charge brilliantly Bell beat him for the fourth time. An almost continuous bombardment was maintained marvellously, but on the few occasions in which the visitors got away they generally gave Williams something to do. Result –Everton 4 goals to Preston North End 2.



FEBRUARY 27, 1895. The Yorkshire Herald.

Played at Bramall-lane yesterday, before with a strong wind, and McInnes scored for them after one minute's play. The home team were subject to severe bombardment, and Hartley added a second goal for Everton. Williams, the visitors goalkeeper, was injured and left the field. Hammond scored for United, and they now played splendidly. The same player added a second, and at half-time the score was two each. Resuming Everton were still without Williams, and United took up the running, and Dockerty struck the upright. The game was splendidly contested, and Hammond notched a third goal for United from a scrimmage. Both goalkeepers saved some warm shots, one team Watson striking the goal post. Hammond scored a fourth goal for United after thirty-eight minutes play. A rush by Everton was hastily cleared by Foulkes. Result: United, 4 goals; Everton, 2 goals.


February 27 1895. The Sheffield Independent.

Victory of United

The Everton Goalkeeper Injured.

The visit of the famous Everton team to this City yesterday, to play their return league match with Sheffielders who, it may be remembered, made a tie with them at Goodison Park in the first game a few weeks ago, attracted a large crowd of football enthusiasts to Bramell lane ground, about 12,000 spectators being present. The weather was cold, and the ground was in soft conditions consequently upon the recent thaw. Additional interest was manifested in the counter from the fact that the Evertonians have again to come to Sheffield this week, as they have to meet the Wednesday team at Olive Grove in the English Cup competition on Saturday. Unfortunately much of the significance of the game in this respect was lost, owing to an accident to the Everton goalkeeper, Williams, who services were lost to his side after the first 25 minutes play. During an attack on the Everton goal, Williams in a collision with Docherty severely brushed one of his legs, besides twisting the ankle of the other, and subsequently the visitors had to play with only ten men. Up to a short time previous to this the Evertonians had decidently the better of the game, scoring two clever goals, but afterwards play went almost entirely in favour of the United, who succeeded in drawing level before the interval, and then adding two move goals in the second half, they won a decisive and well-earned victory by four goals to two. The play of the Sheffielders during the first few minutes was only indifferent, but after Everton had got their second goal the wearers of the red and white began to show greatly improved form –even before the injury to Williams of course the Evertonians were considerably handicapped by the loss of their custodian. Nevertheless, the United with the exception of the first few minutes, played capital football all round, and had greatly the better of the exchanges the visitors goal in the second half being time after time fiercely bombarded. Milward the Everton forward, who kept goal in the second half, performed admirably in that position. Stopping many difficult shots. The United attack after the change of ends had plenty of sting in it, and only fine defence by the Everton backs and goalkeeper prevented a larger score. The Everton captain winning the toss selected the goal at the Bramell lane end of the ground, having by this choice a slight breeze behind them. Docherty kicked off, and the game opened by a little quiet play in midfield, very soon however, there came a startler for the friends of the United for Milward getting the ball on the Everton left, sped along with celerity, and centring finely to McInnes on the right wing, the latter took accurate aim, and with a good shot scored a well got goal for the visitors within a minute of the start. United made several attempts to get to close quarters, but Arridge cleared, and Williams easily kicked away a long shot. Then the Evertonians began a series of dangerous assaults on the home goal, and got several corners in vain, in addition to sending repeated long shots. The Sheffielders, however, defended well, Foulkes stopping a fine long shot from the right and Needham doing good work a clearing the goal on more than one occasion. Play was mainly all at the United end, the home forwards rarely getting past the Everton front rank. Cain and Thickett were busy in defences, and Foulkes had several good shots to stop, one from McInnes looking particularly dangerous. After a quarter of an hour's play the visitors again succeeded in breaking through the United defence, Hartley, with a good shot sending the ball just out of Foulke's reach. Again the Evertonians attacked, but being driven back Watson got away with a good run on the Sheffielder's left, and centring finely across the front of goal, there seemed a chance of United scoring, but unlucky one of the home forwards accidentally handled the ball almost under the bar. A few minutes later United had another chance, Davies getting through and having a shot with only Williams to beat. Davies, however, shot straight to the custodian, who stopped the ball well with his hands and saved what looked like a certain goal. Directly afterwards Everton sustained a severe lost by an accident to their goalkeeper. Docherty, the United centre, in dashing for the ball right on the line, in his endeavour to get of through, accidentally disabled William's who had to be carried from the field. Everton were thus left with only ten men, Kelso taking his place in goal. A corner to the Sheffielders was of no avail, but they were now playing a stronger game then previously. First Watson and then Hammond made a run, but each shot wide at the finish. There was a shot cessation, owing to Davies being winded, but that player was soon able to resume. The Sheffielders then made a dashing attack, and Hammond, getting a good opening shot low and fast into the net, scoring a good goal 12 minutes from half-time. This encouraged, United infused even more spirit into their attack, and Kelso had to deal with shots from Watson and Yates. This was followed by some well contested play in midfield, and then Kelso had hard work to clear from Yates, after which Docherty missed a good opportunity, Watson shot through, but shot across the mouth of goal. United, however, returned to the attack with earnestness, and from a pass from the right |Hammond made the score level, ten minutes from the interval, amidst cheers. Everton than had a turn and forced a corner, but did no good with it. A fierce and even struggle followed up to the interval, which arrived with the score Sheffield United 2, goals Everton 2 goals.

When ends were changed Everton had to resume with only ten men, Williams being unable to return to the field, Milward went in goal, and Kelso whose absence at full back had been felt severely by the visitors, resumed his position. The Sheffielders quickly began to press and for the first few minutes they kept the play near the Everton goal. The visitors' defence was now sound, however, and the United were at length repulsed, and a dash was made by the Blues for the United goal, and several of them seemed to get in an offside position. They looked apparently to have the home goal, and several of them seemed to get in an offside position. They looked, apparently to have the home goal at their mercy, and Hartley shot without much sting, straight at Foulkes who saved. The referee did not give off side however, United then began to pass with great vigour, keeping the Everton defenders bust Milward stopped a low shot from Davies, and another from Hammond keeping very well. Once he was very nearly beaten by a side shot, but he scooped the ball away just as it was passing the line. Indeed, from some parts of the ground it looked almost as if the ball had been shot through. The Evertonians made a dash to the other end, and threatened danger from a free kick, but Howell relived, and soon the Sheffielders were busy attacking again, Milward being greatly troubled by a long screw from Yates. Everton came away briefly and gained an unproductive corner. Then followed a corner to Sheffield and a hot bombardment of the Evertonians goal, which escaped repeated shots, Milward saving his goal finely, and the attack ending by Needham shooting wide. United returned to the assault, and this time meet with success. Hammond and Docherty rushing the ball past Kelso and Milward, and thus giving the red and whites the lead about 25 minutes after the interval, Everton played up after this and had a free kick which looked dangerous, but Needham got the ball away. More pressure on the Everton goal followed, but Kelso, Arridge, and the halves-exhibited stubborn defence only occasionally did the visitors get away. Once they looked very dangerous but Cain by a neat bit of play, drove them back. Play was slower than it had been, the players evidently tiring. United still had the best of the argument, and Docherty, by a fine over-head kick, added a fourth goal for the red and whites. Everton made several futile dashes, and had a free kick and a corner, Hartley forcing the latter from Foulkes. The danger from this was cleared, and then the whistle sounded. United winning a well-deserved victory. Result Sheffield United, 4 goals Everton 2 goals . Teams: - Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal; Thickett and Cain, backs; Howell, Whittam and Needham, half-backs; Yates, Davies, Docherty, Hammond, and Watson, forwards. Everton: - Williams, goal; Kelso and Arridge, backs; Boyle, Holt and Elliott, half-backs; Bell, McInnes, Hartley, McMillan, and Milward, forwards. Referee Mr. A. Pennington, Burslem.



February 27, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

At Bramell Lane, before 12,000 people. Everton had a slight breeze behind them in the first half. The ground was soft. From a pass by Milward, McInnes scored for Everton in two minutes, and Hartley shot a second goal. Williams, the Everton goalkeeper, was carried from the field hurt. Hammond afterwards scored for the United, who subsequently made dangerous attacks, Hammond equalising ten minutes from the interval. On resuming Everton still played but ten men. Kelso had kept goal since Williams's injury; but now Milward did so, and saved many dangerous shots. The United had much the best of the play, but Everton defended well. Hammond, however, gave the United the lead, Docherty subsequently ding a fourth point. Everton made several futile attacks, but were rarely dangerous, the result being a win for the home team by 4 goals to 2.



February 27 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

William's retires Kelso (25-45) than Milward (45-90) play as goalkeeper.

These teams, who had recently made a draw at Goodison Park, met to decide their return League fixture yesterday at Bramell Lane, Sheffield, where had assembled a holiday attendance of 10,000. Unfortunately Everton were not fully represented. Parry and Stewart being ill with colds whilst Chadwick was suffering from acre knees. In addition, some of those who did play were far from well. The team's were- Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso and Arridges backs, Boyle (captain), Holt and Elliott, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Hartley, McMillan, and Milward forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal, Thickett, and Cain, backs, Howell, Whitham, and Needham, halfbacks, Yates, Davies, Docherty, Hammond, and Watson forwards. Referee Mr.Pennington. The ground was soft, and there was a stiffish wind blowing against which, Sheffield played at the start. The visitors opened in a sensational manner, as on McMillan running and passing to Milward, the latter centred to McInnes who completely beat Foulkes, and scored within a minute. Holt followed with a shot from which, the goalkeeper gave a corner. After slight pressure by the United, Bell got away and shot nicely, but without effect. Everton continued to attack in good style. Foulkes again having to use his fist to a shot by Bell. Other good shots were tried from one of which, Thickett gave a corner. The home team then broke off, but was challenged by Kelso Watson finishing with a bad aim. The venue was quickly changed, when Milward hampered by the mud missed a possible opening. A little delay occurred through Howell getting hurt, and on resuming Hartley robbed Docherty the sequel being in Bell and McInnes both testing Foulkes. A bit of strong play was then given by Milward, which enabled Hartley to shoot hard, but in vain. He immediately met with a reward, however, by driving cleverly into the net the second goal being scored at the end of 15 minutes. A chance was next gave to Milward who shot wide but he made up for his mistake a moment later by screwing in beautifully to Foulkes, who saved with his left foot. The United were then dangerous on the left, a scrimmage ensuing within a yard of goal, but Hammond shot wide. The United came up again, on the left, and swung across to the right, when Yates shot in well. Williams stopping the ball with his feet, but he was charged badly and had to be carried off the ground seriously hurt. Kelso now went into goal, and Milward took the right back position. The unlucky incident occurred when the game had been in progess 25 minutes, and robbed the remaining play of such interest. The United become more aggressive in consequence but were courageously tackled, Arridge stopping an ugly rush at the expense of a corner, which Kelso got his toes to a return shot. The United men were erratci in their shooting for a time but after Kelso had puched the ball away, not far enough, however, Hammond drove in along the ground and scored a fine goal. Everton got well down from the goalkick, Bell forcing a corner, which came to nothing, and the home team rushed off, but was pulled up by Arridge, who again did well when danger was renewed. Yates next had a shot, which Kelso checked with his feet at the cost of a corner kick. Everton were often forced on the defensive, and worked with much effort but once it seemed at though a goal was inevitable. Kelso just managing to avoid a further catastrophe. No relief, however came, and on Yates centring. Hammond made the score equal. Holt stopped a further smart shot in a marvellous manner, and Everton were enabled to breathe more freely, as Hartley got far enough down to take a shot, Elliott tackled Yates very finely, and play took an even turn. Holt passed the ball up, and a shot was tried, which Foulkes used his right hand to, but the interval arrived with the score two goals each.

On resuming, Milward went in goal instead of Kelso, who was bothered by a sore arm. The United were quickly on the attack, but Kelso removed with a lengthy kick, and Bell and Hartley were going all right until the whistle sounded, to the relief of Cain. The home right wing got the better of Elliott, but Yates shot badly, Docherty having hard lines a minute later by hitting a post. In reply, McInnes exacted a corner, and them from Bell and McInnes an opportunity was created for McMillan, who shot against Foulkes legs. A throw in, and a free kick fell to the United near in, but poor use was made of both. Hammond was also as fault during the pressure, whilst Kelso, assisted by Arridges was sounded in defence. Everton had to run the graunlet of a severe fire, and were in trouble, but Arridge saved wonderfully, and Everton were just as threatening at the other end, where Thicket smartly checked the left wing men. The visitors returned, however and were kept from scoring with the greatest difficulty. The play was soon down to Milward's charge where Barr and effective goalkeeping was shown. McMillan and Holt scored off Yates and Davies, with the result that McInnes essayed a ticklish shot. The play continued to fluorinate for a while, and then United attacked fiercely, during which trying time Milward made good use of his feet on two occasion, Needham finishing off the keen movement with a poor shot. The United returned, and Hammond shot into the net, giving his side the lead 20 minutes from the end. Everton protested against the point counting, but the referee saw nothing wrong with it. McMillan had a tussle with Howell and was tipped, but the free kick could not-be turned to account, the goalkeeper playing the ball. Foulkes had again to save during a renewed attack by Everton. Milward next dropped the ball from a long shot, but had time to regain possession and throw away. Everton withstood a hot siege that ensued and Hartley ran fast, but was knocked off before he could shoot. The heavy state of the ground had now told on the players, and near the finish the United scored a fourth goal, from Watson with a high dropping shot, Milward succumbing to the charge whilst in the act of trying to got at the ball, result of a hard game being Sheffield United 4 goals Everton 2 goals. The Everton team for the cup tie next Saturday go to hoylake to-day to recruit their health, and will leave Liverpool for Sheffield on the cup tie day by the 10-30 a.m. special train from Exchange Station via the new route. A later train will also be run for those who cannot get away from business for the earlier one. Williams injury was a severe strain of the left ankle, which will cause him to lie up for some weeks, it is feared, and Cain will thus have a chance of redeeming himself in goal next Saturday.



February 28 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton paid a visit to Leeds yesterday, in order to give encouragement to the Associations in a district in which the Rudge game has had almost a monopoly. The visitors were mainly of the combination team, but included Hillman, the wellknown goalkeeper, just transferred from the Burnley club. In the first half Everton who had the best of the play, scored 3 goals to nil. After the interval Everton continued to have the best of the game and eventually won by 7 goals to nil.



February 28, 1895. The Yorkshire Herald.

With a view to putting interest in Association football in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the Everton eleven paid a visit to the Leeds Athletic Club Ground, Headingley, yesterday, where they met an eleven of Leeds and District in a friendly match. This is the second time a team of any importance in the Association world have visited Leeds, the last occasion being when Preston North End made rings round a similar eleven at the West Riding Ground, Meanwood-road. Leeds were not expected to score, and the people present were attracted more from curiosity as to what the game was like than in anticipation of a good match. Clever tactics of the Everton team were loudly cheered and greatly admired by the spectators. As expected, Everton had matters all their own way, and ran out winners by seven goals to Leeds nil.