January 1895

JANUARY 1895 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 3 EVERTON 0 (game 169) January 2 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton made their first visit this season to Sheffield yesterday, in order to filful their return League match with Sheffield Wednesday. Everton won the previous game it will be remembered on the opening day of the season by 3 goals to 1. The weather yesterday was beautifully fine; though frost abounded the ground appeared to be in good conditions, hands having been spread in places that might otherwise have proved dangerous. There was some wind, which blew from goal to goal, but a contrary direction to that in which were experienced the sunrays. The teams were Everton: - Cain, goal, Adams (captain), and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Latta, Hartley, Milward, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Allan, goal, Earp, and Langley backs, Brandon, Crawshaw, and Jamieson, halfbacks, Brash, Ferrier, Davis, Brady, and Spikesley forwards. Mr. J.H.Strawson was the referee . The attendance was of a holiday character, numbering about 20,000, the match, from the high position held by Everton naturally exciting great interest, whilst some 200 or 300 Liverpoolians availed themselves of the excursion trains. McInnes journeyed with the team, and would have played, but did not feel well and so Hartley resumed his old position as partner to Latta. Adams lost the toss, and Everton had to face the wind. The home team were the first to attack, Spikesley beating Adams, but Parry went to the rescue. Holt gave a free kick, whilst Milward neutralised, and then Jamieson put behind from a corner kick. Chadwick also took a corner of no avail, and following a throw in near the corner by Jamieson play opened out somewhat. Then Wednesday resumed aggressive when Parry cleared with a hugh kick. Bell going well for goal, but hands against an opponent spoiled the movement. At the other end Spikesley centred nicely, but Parry headed away directly. Bell them led a raid, and Chadwick defeating Earp ran on and shot, but the goalkeeper saved. The home team went strongly on the left, so much so that Holt had to kick out, and from the ensuing pressure, Brandon scored, the game then being 15 minutes old. A great cheer rewarded this success, which was renewed on Spikesley racing off and shooting splendidly, but Cain was just in time to put behind. Everton was kept on the defensive during which troublesome work Adams did good services. From a free kick Langley put into the net, but the ball had not been touched though Cain made an attempt to do so. The play was all in favour of Wednesday and the outcome of this was that after Cain had played the ball twice in raid occasion a goal was given against him from Davis's shot, though the ball did not seen to go through. However, there was no mistake a moment later, when Davies again took a nice pass and turned it to account. Everton finding themselves three goals to the bad at the end of 25 minutes. To make matters worse Latta now got hurt on the right leg, and limped off the field. Immediately following the incident Spikesley seemed to have a fine chance, but went wide. Ferrier met a free kick by Stewart, and the home team again caused much anxiety to the visitors, who were not at all good in their kicking, relief only coming when Brandon made a bid use of a free kick within a few yards of goal. Davies followed with an overhead kick of dangerous quality, and Spikesley shot almost against the post. Everton then relieved the pressure for a while, but with Latta still away they could not shape very well and were soon beaten off, Spikesley finishing up a fast run with a near shot. Cain next fisted out, and Everton had a turn attacking in better style then hitherto, but encountering strong defendce, and half time arrived with Wednesday leading by three goals to nil. On inquires made it was found that Latta had sprained his right ankle, and could not possibly resume play. The first incident of the second half was in Everton forcing a corner, but they were weak when the attack had to be taken up in front of goal, and had been seen to defend. Especially from the Sheffield right wing. The ball now travelled quickly up and down the ground, and though Everton were the more aggressive it cannot be said that they were often dangerous, the forwards though Latta's absence, bring a little use on the right. The Everton half backs and backs were thus kept busy, and only for their increased energy the score must have gone up by leap's and bounds. Brady put narrowly outside and Spikesley went high. The visitors never showed the white feathers, however, and the ten men played for all, they were worth; but in their disorganized condition they were seen to any particular advantage. The home defence too, was correspondingly strong, and Allan had hardly anything to do. Once Everton went a while for goal, but the custodian scooped the ball coolly aside. Boyle next shot behind, whilst a corner taken by Chadwick created possibilities of Everton at length scoring, but the defence once more proved to powerful. Later on a fine running centre by Bell to Chadwick raised more hope, but hands was given against Hartley and this like so many efforts ended in failure. The subsequent play was spirited but not of brilliant character, and long before the finish it had become apparent that Everton were in a hopeless position, not because they were not trying their utmost, but on account of the ability of the Wednesday team to hold the lead in a manner that inspired their supporters with confidences. Near the finish Everton made a firm attempt in scrimmaging order to break down the defence, but were repulsed, though not without some difficulty. Then Parry took a free kick with judgement but Allan used his fist to the ball, and thus once more prevented Everton opening their scoring account. The visitors however, held out against further reverse, and were thus beaten by 3 goals to nil. This was the first time Everton had failed this season to score in a League match. The defeat was as decisive as it was by many unexpected, but it was deserved. The defence was faulty, at the outset, and whatever chance the forwards might have had of regaining lost ground was nullified when Latta met with his unfortunate accident.



January 2, 1895. The Birmingham Daily Post

At Olive Grove, Sheffield, before 18,000 people, in fine weather, on a hard ground. Wednesday had a light wind in their favour in the first half, and played admirably, Brandon scoring in fourteen minutes. Davis put on two more points for Wednesday, who repeatedly pressed the Everton defence. Latta sprained his ankle, leaving the field after Wednesday's third goal. Spikesley made some brilliantly runs for Wednesday. Half-Time Sheffield Wednesday 3, Everton 0. Latta was unable to return after changing ends, and Everton finished with ten men. Even exciting play was seen, Holt showing fine form for Everton, as did Crawshaw and Spikesley for Wednesday. Davis was hurt, and left the field, both sides finishing a man short. Everton made great efforts to score near the finish, but Wednesday defended well, and deserved their brilliant victory. Result; Sheffield Wednesday 3, Everton 0.



January 3, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

At Glasgow. The Everton started the Celts playing with the wind. Everton pressed, but from a rush Madden scored for the Celts. Williams equalised. Everton gain had all the play, but fluky work behind let in the Celts, Divers scoring. Everton continued to play well, but McArthur, the Celts' custodian, could not be beaten. From a couple of runs the Celts scored through Madden and Cassidy. Result; Celtic 4, Everton 1.



January 3 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This return match between these clubs was played at Glasgow yesterday, the first game, decided on Christmas Day, having been won by Everton with a score of three goals to nil. The Everton team underwent a great chance from that which had been beaten at Sheffield, the side being Everton: - Sutton goal, Adams (captain), and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Storrier, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams (w), McInnes, Milward, Chadwick, and Bell,, forwards. Celtic:- McArthur, goal, Reynold and Dunbar, backs, McLleny Kelly, and Maley, halfbacks, Madden, Blessington, Divers, Cassidy, and Campbell forwards. Just before the time for kicking off, a heavy shower of sleet and Snow came on, and made the ground in a more wretched state than it had been hitherto bad though that proved. A large company had gathered, and as the majority of these were expected to the full severity of the storm they had a very unpleasant experience, but the weather soon cleared up, and a commencement was possible by half past two. It will be seen that, compared with the Celtic team that played at Everton on Christmas Day there were but two changes. Doyle and McCann being now absent. Milward kicked off against the wind, and at once opened the attack on the left, but the efforts of Bell and Chadwick were neutralised by Reynolds. The footing was slippery, and the Celts went away on the left. Here Adams checked a raid, but Campbell returned and centred to Madden who had a clear course, and shot so hard that Sutton failed to stop the high shot. The home team were thus leading within a few minutes. Everton went away strongly from the restart, and during high pressure Storrier made a goal effort, but the backs met the low shot. A free kick near in was also of no use, and then Storrier again put in a clever bit of play, but Diver soon ran clear. After Milward shot in rather tamely. Arridge tackled but was evidently in trouble and Adams rushed up, and the ball was kick over the line. Everton now became aggressive, put could only get in a long wide shot. When the Celtic came forward, there were always looking dangerous. Everton attacked again put fair shots being placed by Chadwick and McInnes. Everton drew level in a masterly way, as Chadwick screwed in from the touchline, and Milward shot deliberately. The ball was checked, but Williams rushed it into the net before McArthur could recover possession. The Celts in a couple of minutes were leading again. Drivers receiving from the right wing, and making a grand running shot which Sutton had no chance of stopping. Everton had the best of some spirited play, which, followed the forwards work being of excellent quality, but the only likely aim permitted was one by Boyle, who shot across. The Celts having defended well, were becoming threatening, until the right wing was pulled up for offside. In reply Williams shot the ball past the goalkeeper's hands. A corner on the Celts right was the next item of interest, but it was placed badly. McInnes tested McArthur in a scrimmage but the ball was narrowly diverted, and then Arridge stopped a strong run by the centre forward. A free kick was however, given to the Celtic close in, which Storrier met, and on Boyle lobbing towards goal, the whistle sounded for half time with the score Celtic 2 goals Everton 1. Upon resuming a corner soon fell to the Celts, the danger from which, was removed on one of the attacking party conceding hands. A much more taking attack was carried on at the other goal, a minute have a neat back hell kick by Bell enabled Chadwick to force a corner. Everton pressed severely from Chadwick's place kick; but all the good work was upset when Storrier shot wildly over the bar. A little later Bell drew McArthur out of goal in order to play a good shot, and once more Bell, who was in good form, centred, when Williams headed outside. A shot by Boyle was nicely made, but smartly saved, and again the Everton left was in evidence. Chadwick also playing a great game. For a considerable time the Celts had a warm experience, but their defence was always good. At length Cassidy and Campbell ran clear, the latter finishing up with a shot which deserved to score, the ball just surmounting the bar. The home right wing were also active, but met with stern resistance from Stewart, who scored many success over Madden and Blessington. From one of his effective touches, Everton went splendidly, Milward sending in two rasping shots, which were grandly repulsed. Madden and Blessington thus made a successful movement, as after Sutton had stopped a hard shot, Madden whipped in with a magnificent return, the ball seeming to pass just under the crossbar. Towards the finsih Everton brought very severe pressure to hear upon goal, Chadwick gave McArthur a warm armful, corners and further shots being the order of the day, but the heading work of the Celts was an effective barrier to Everton, meeting with the reward their play deserved. Williams was rather too slow for overcoming Dunbar as a rule, and let a chance or two slip away. Then the Celts left wingers ran away, and Cassidy beating Adams drove in along the ground, and scored with an oblique shot, and the possibility was created of Everton getting a goal, but the right wing failed in the final touch. A free kick was taken almost in the Celtic goalmouth, and after some tussling the ball was shot over. Milward rattled in a tearing shot without effect, and the end of a good game came with the result in favour of Celtic by 4 goals to 1.



JANUARY 7 1895. THE Liverpool Mercury

The first League match of the season between these clubs was played at Wolverhampton on Saturday. The weather was bright, with little or no wind, whilst the ground had a coating of snow two inches deep, but this was an advantage rather than otherwise. Everton consequent upon injuries to Latta and Reay, and other causes, made one or two changes in their team. Williams returning in goal, Kelso to right back, and Geary taking the outside right. On the other side Baugh was again absent. H.Wood filling his place. Teams: - Everton: - Williams (r), goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Geary, McInnes, Milward, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Wanderers:- Halsall, goal, Wood and Dunn, backs, Griffiths, Haynes, and Malpass, halfbacks, Wykies, Black, Butcher, Fleming, and Griffin. Referee J.Fox. About 8,000 spectators were present when Butcher kicked off Boyle who was captain for the day, having won the toss. Everton had the help of what wind there was and twice the ball was shot out to the left of the goalkeeper, whilst a further tame effort caused the line to be crossed on the other side of the goal. Malpass and Geary now collided, the former received a nasty knock on the head. From the throw up Boyle kicked towards goal, when Geary shot outside. Kelso arrested the ‘'Wolves'' left, and Milward was making well for a shot until Wood charged him, and spoilt the aim. Butcher essayed a fast run, compelling Boyle to kick out, and Kelso got in a useful kick on the return raid. Bell then became active, but was safely tackled. A moment later a trip by Dunn gave Everton a free kick at a convenient range, but no one touched the ball from Parry's place kick into the net. In the meantime both Kelso, and Parry has assisted with hugh kicks, the next incident being in Milward lifting over the bar. Stewart contributed god work, and playing up to the left, Chadwick and Bell made ground, but the latter's shot met by Wood, who gave a corner. Chadwick next shot behind, and this was followed by splendid play by the Everton forwards, Milward driving in brilliantly from a neat pass by McInnes, but Hassell caught the ball, and made a good save. This fine effort was supplemented by a neat shot by Chadwick, who hit the end of the net. A free kick fell to the home team near the Everton goal, but Williams saved by punching clear. Boyle removed the danger, and Chadwick smartly regaining his feet on stumbling, gave to Bell, who shot wide. McInnes impelled a corner, and after Chadwick had also taken indifferent aim, Fleming ran and passed to Butcher, who wa growing so threatening that Parry had to run across to prevent a shot at close quarters. The Wanderers developed a most aggressive attitude, returning to the attack several times with great dash, but the defence of Everton all round was of high quality, Boyle especially putting in fine touches. Geary next led an attack, passed neatly to McInnes, and then shot in a very likely manner. The defence was too good, however, and so it proved when Bell ran and shot again. A sprint by Butcher was finished off, with a teasing shot, but Williams compassed another fine save. Everton quickly removed the danger and laid siege on goal in a most persistent and clever style. An opening was created for Geary, but he got too much under the ball, and then it was really marvellous how the home defenders held out in a tough scrimmage, the ball bobbling about within a yard or so of goal for two or three minutes. Despite sterling work by Holt, Boyle and Stewart, the Wolverhampton forwards could not be prevented creating danger in strong run and kicking, but Williams and Parry cleared wonderfully, the latter snathing the ball literally out of the goalmouth on two occasions in quick succession. A spell of midfield play intervened, and after Wood had bounced the ball over the bar from a free kick at long range, the interval arrived with the score nil. The game had so far been of a most spirited kind, both sides showing up strongly in everything but shooting. Everton had the most chances, but were keenly watched, when within shooting distance. The same remark will apply to the visitors defenders-in fact finer defence could hardly be wished for from either side. Immediately upon resuming, during pressure on the Everton left Haynes got winded in meeting a shot by Chadwick. This led to a little delay, and on restarting from a free kick, the Wanderers were in trouble, McInnes from Milward shot into Hassell's hands, and this was followed by Bell running a shot, but Wood tackled him near goal. A free kick to the ‘'Wolves'' enabled them to attack for the first time since the change of ends, but here, Holt, Boyle and Parry jointly shielded Williams. Bell again ran stoutly, the outcome of which was in Geary shooting against a back player, and in Hassell going out to charge McInnes, whilst in the act of whipping in a sharp return shot. The home team then seemed to have a chance, but Fleming was a bit too slow for Parry, who took the ball from his foot. Everton went strongly on the attack again. The defence of the Wanderers however, proved excellent. Wood particularly rendering good service to his club by his speedy running and timely charging. Parry then had a further opportunity of showing that he was in his best form, he having attend to Wykes and Black, who were the most active just now. Kelso also found employment on the other wing. Bell was called up for offside, but Chadwick went on, and was bowled over whilst taking aim. Everton then had to defend for all they were worthy. Wykes missed a chance, but it availed Everton no opportunity of clearing, and during the severe pressure Wykes sent across, following a corner, and Griffin scored 20 minutes from the finish, Williams failing to get a good view of the ball. Griffin appeared to be offside when he got possession, and the visitors made a protest against the point counting, but Mr. Fox though that Boyle had touched the ball before it reached Griffin. Everton were down from the restart, and pressed, when Holt was seen in converse with the referee. Geary was now playing centre forward. The ‘'Wolves'' were not long before they again assumed as threatening attitude, but Parry charged Wykes off the ball within a few yards of goal. Everton then showed splendid formation, but a back met Geary, and further nice passing looked as though it would enable Everton to draw level, but they were always beaten at the moment for the final effort. A long low shot by Boyle was the best shot for a while Everton tried hard, and were very aggressive. They had a free kick close in but, the ‘'Wolves'' were back in goal in a cluster, and as time went on strengthened their defence-indeed went solely on the defensive. The closing incidents were of course most exciting, with Everton continuously peppering away at goal, but the packing and Smartness of the Wolves were so good that no loophole could be discovered, and so Everton, after having about three parts of the play, had to retire beaten by a goal to nil.



January 7 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before 4,000 spectators. The home team had nearly all the play, and after numerous attempts at goal, Hartley scored from a penalty kick. There was only two or three breaks away by the Swifts in the first half, Everton attacking almost continuously. On resuming Groffiths and Handford scored a second and third for Everton. Griffiths put another through, but was given offside final result Everton 3 goals, Swifts nil. Everton Team Sutton, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Walker, Storrier, Elliott, halfbacks, Griffiths, Murray, Hartley, McMillan, and Handford, forward.



January 7 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The New Year has opened in a most cheerless manner for Everton, for on the very first day of the year of grace with the hearty greetings and wishes of properly from their friendlys still ringing in their ears, they fell heavily from their high state, and were defeated in a most unequivocal manner by Sheffield Wednesday. This reverse was not altogether unexpected, but it was the overpowering way in which, the Sheffield men disported themselves before a hilarious and appreciative crowd of 20,000 spectators that occasioned the disagreeable surprise to those who have enrolled themselves under the Everton flag. To all appearance the team who was a strong one, but it was feared by those of the inner circle that the condition of one or two players was not what the club had a right to expect of those in their employ. There is some difficulty, it is true in keeping up a state of efficiency at festive season, and it would he well if League matches could be a voilded during the holidays, but this is the harvest time of the club financiers, and the requirements of the holiday keepers are that they should be indulged to the keen and momentous play associated with the League campaign. Those who pay the piper should surely call the tune, and the demand being made, the players should be prepared to meet it. The test at Olive Grove soon made it clear who, were at fault. The Wednesday tea fairly galloped through their opponents during the first half-hour, and thoroughly deserved the substantial lead of three goals, which they had up to that time established. There was considerable doubt as to the legality of one of the goals, but on the other hand, there had been several narrow escapes from other reverses. It was this fateful 30 minutes that lost Everton the match' in other words, their opponents started off well, and took Everton by surprise. Then Latta met with his accident a sprained ankle compelling him to leave the field. With tem men and an hour's time still to run it seemed certain that Everton were in for a heavy defeat indeed, but fortunately there was a general improvement from the time of the third goal to the finish. If Latta had been capable of helping his colleagues the game might have been at least saved. There were many circumstances, which told against Everton, it must be urged-the losing of the toss, the fact that the Wednesday had rubbered sole boots, which enabled them to keep their feet better than Everton could do in leather soles, and the disorganization occasional by McInnes being too ill to take his customary place-but for all that the highest credit must be given to the Sheffielders for their superior all round play and for their ability to take advantage of a weak representative of Everton. They are a well balanced team, with plenty of dash speed, and shooting power, and are hard to beat upon their own ground, as Liverpool found out on Saturday, and as also had Preston North End, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Aston Villa, Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Smallheath-all of whom in turn had to strike their flags at Oliver grove this season. Where so many other strong teams had failed before them, it was a mistake to be sanguine that Everton would rise superior to all, and seeing that Holt, Parry, and Chadwick, alone did themselves some measure of justice, it might have been an even more disastrous tumble. Everton and the Celtic gave a much better game going on to Glasgow with a mixed team. In the match the visitors had three fourths of the attack and the Celts four fifths of all scoring. The inference is plain that the home team were the strongest in defence and more deadly in their shooting. There was splendid halfbacks and forward play by Everton. W.Williams who went outside right, shaping well except for a little slowness in centring; but the defence of Reynolds and Dunbar was of the highest order, and they had plenty of opportunity of showing their capability. It was to McArthur however, that the Celtic chiefly owed their victory of ample margins (four to one), for no matter how hard the shot, and how often applied, he always gauged its direction to a nicety, and not only checked the ball, but cleared completely. Those good judges who consider McArthur the best goalkeeper in Great Britain are probably not far from right. Sutton had not much to do in the Everton goal, and was beaten only by good shots.

The cup of bitterness for Everton had not yet been filled. It was not enough that they should have lost two very important matches this year though it was but five days old, but they must be the reckon with a third dose and lose two points on Saturday against Wolverhampton Wanderers, who having put Everton out of the Englisg cup possession two season ago with the score of a goal to nil, may deprive them, as the equal of the league championship by the identically narrow victory. The result of this match at Wolverhampton is in every sense aggravating so far as Evertonians are concerned. They ought to have won, and that they did not is made all the more galling from the fact that Sunderland having again met with a shock by Notts Forest, who drew on Saturday at Wearside, Everton would have been in a very strong position for the championship. Here once more the team in everything save scoring were superior to the ‘'Wolves'' The forwards were placed on the attack fully two thirds of the time, and yet could not score a goal, the other side is one of their less frequent raids got a surprise goal at the end of an hour's play and are content, their one ambition then being prevent, Everton equalising, and they attained to object they aspired to. There was snow on the ground, and this would to some extent militate against the best shooting, but the reason is not sufficient to account for the failure to take advantage of the innumerable chance that had been opened up by grand combination. Singularly every one of the forward s Geary,McInnes, Milward, Chadwick, and bell- made weak attempts at some timer other and, so the blame will be less poignant since the quintet must bear it amongst them. They were ‘'all tarred with the same brush'' as one of them truthfully said. There were a few shots that deserved to score, but it was evident that only by persistent application of well directed aims would the variations defence be subdued, but they could not sustain the firing as they might have done, and as they did in the last quarter of an hour, when it was too late, and when it was impossible to break through the packed group that ‘'held'' the narrow way.'' The superiority of Everton in general play was most marked. It has been described as artistic, and so it was; wheras that of the ‘'Wolves'' was plain, but effective. Some of the maneurving of Everton was very clever, but on a snow clad ground it proved the less profitable, fore whilst the forwards and half backs were passing and repassing the opposing team were droppingf back to the defence of goal, with the result that by the time the moment was ripe for taking a shot the defenders had become strengthened twofold. Williams had no chance of saving the shot, which beat him, as his sight of the ball seemed to be obstructed nor could the backs be blamed for Griffin took the ball from Butcher, who was fouled by Kelso when lying offside. The referee, we understood though the ball had touched in its passage from Butcher to Griffin by Boyle, and thus put the attacker onside, but Everton strongly protested against the ruling. Holt expressed his surprise to Mr. Fox thereferee on the field, and got reproved for his temerity. Williams gave a good account of himself in dealing with the few shots that came to him, and that he had not more work to do was due to the masterly defence of Kelso and Parry, both of whom were at their best, and whilst the former seldom allowed the opposing forwards to become dangerous, the latter was brilliant when the danger became really great. The halfbacks play of Boyle Holt and Stewart was in keeping with their reputation, whist the forwards as mentioned were in fine form as far as combination were, but lacked solidity when closing in on goal. Like Everton the Wanderers we grand in defence. Harry Wood coping with the left wing in a manner that Baugh, who stood out, could scarely have excelled. The halfbacks were strong in a defensive direction, whilst the forwards, whist the forwards were conspicuous for quick running and eager shooting at any length rather than combined movement. Their dashing style, however, proved the most useful on Saturday, and on this account they are entitled to praise and victory. This afternoon Everton play their deferred match with Stoke at Goodison Park. Is this also to be lost ?



January 8, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

Played at Liverpool on a frost bound ground, before 6,000 spectators. Everton pressed considerably at the outset, but were unable to shoot accurately owing to the slippery ground. After thirty minute's play, Chadwick scored from Geary's pass. After further pressure Stoke had a free kick near the Everton goal. Half-time; Everton 2, Stoke 0. On restarting Stoke obtained a couple of abortive corners, the succeeding play being enlivened by a run by Williams and Geary, the last named eventually scoring a third goal for Everton. The home side now pressed severely, and were within an ace of scoring again. –Chadwick shooting over while Minns struck the post. Result Everton 3, Stoke 0.


EVERTON 3 STOKE 0 (game 171)

January 8 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This deffered League match was played at Goodison Park yesterday in the presence of 8,000 spectators. It will be remembered that on Decemeber 22, an attempt was made to fulfil the fixture, but owing to the gale that prevailed the referee stopped play at the end of 30 minutes. Everton than having scored a goal to nil. The weather yesterday was bright and favourable from a spectators point of view, but of course the ground was hard and slippery owing to the frost . Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart halfbacks, Williams (w), McInnes, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Stoke: - Clawley, goal, Eccles, and Clare backs Brodie, Grewer, and Turner, halfbacks, Meston, Dickson, Farrell, Sandland, and Robertson forwards. It will be seen that Bell and Scholfield were absent from the teams respectively. The opening play was of midfield tendency, but Everton soon got into a strong stride, when during hard pressure Milward missed a fine chance. In a few minutes, however, he centred beautifully to McInnes, who headed over the bar. Following a breakaway by Stoke, the home forwards became very aggressive, and put for Clare and Eccles on their mettle. They defended well, but a grand shot by Chadwick eluded their vigilance, and went direct to Clawley, who proved safe. Everton sustained the attack, the relief coming until McInnes shot behind from a likely range. Geary next slipped on the icy ground when taking a kick, whilst a shot by McInnes was repulsed. In attending to a raid, hands were given to Everton right in front of goal from which a\ corner was conceded. This also was cleared, and then Stoke got fairly going for the first time but they were well held by kelso and Parry, and Everton made fast progess towards goal, where they were checked. Notwithstanding that the kicking of the defenders was not of good quality. W.Williams headed into goal very neatly, and deserved to score, but the shot was cleverly repulsed. Stoke went away shortly afterwards, and from a pass Dickson penetrated the goal, but the point was vetoed. Everton having survived this risk, played with renewed energy, and soon Geary landed the ball almost grazing over the bar. Boyle sent came out strongly with a shot which, was only cleared at the expense of a corner. Everton continued to attack and at length from a pass by Geary, the ball went to Chadwick, who shot in along the ground and score. Stoke were dangerous a minute later, but Kelso spoiled a shot at close range, and once more the home team were seen attacking strongly, a long lobbing shot by Parry beating several players, but it was checked by the goalkeeper, Everton were further aggressive, but were beaten off. A free kick fell to Stoke near the home goal, but the was diverted to safe land, and then Geary had hard lines with a shot. It did not matter much however, as almost immediately W.Williams took a pass and scored his first League goal. Everton thus led by two goals to nil, at the interval. Upon resuming, the home team were severely pressed, having to give a couple of corners, from one of which a fair chance of scoring was given a Stoke man, but it went begging. Everton came out well on the right wing, and shot hard, but were beaten off very smartly. A free kick to Stoke helped them to once more carry the war into their oppontents territory, but Kelso and Parry soon dislodged them, and Geary started a run taken up by W.Williams, who finished off with a good shot. Kept on the attack by the backs and halfbacks the home forwards were persistent in their attempts to forge further ahead, a very fine shot being assayed by Geary. The visitors knew the advantage, of hard kicking, and by this means were now enabled to have a fair share of the play, though never allowed to become very threatening. A movement on the right wing however, strengthened Everton position, as a very well worked goal was the outcome. McInnes shot in, and Crawley played the ball, but Geary was handy, and landed into the net before the goalkeeper was aware of the fact. Everton were irresistible in their raids at this period of the game, and were not long before they beat Crawley once more but he had been impelled and the point was not allowed to account. Geary was only charged of the ball when near the goalline and a few minutes later Milward was tackled just in the act of shooting when a yard or two from goal by Robertson, who kicked desperately over the bar. Returning, Chadwick compelled Clawley to give a corner in using his fist to a high dropping shot which, was met near the bar. A nice run by Milward, Geary and Chadwick terminated in the latter making a further good bid for goal, but Clawley was ready. McInnes had a couple of shies, from one of which, a corner was given and repulsed. As a diversion the Stoke rightwing got down as far as Parry, who caused the ball to be run harmlessly over the line. Geary, who in conjunction with his four colleagues had played all though with spirit, led another attack, and when the game ended Everton had won by 3 goals to nil.



January 14 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The first League match between these clubs was decided at Derby on Saturday. There was not a very large attendance, something like 3,000, owing to the winter weather, the ground being thinly covered by snow, and of course froshbound. Considerable curiosity however, centred in the match from the fact that Liverpool had visited and beaten Derby County on the previous Wednesday. The home club made two changes from the team which played against Liverpool.Robinson and Keay superseding Green and Paull, the side being as follows: - Everton: - Sutton, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Willimas (w), McInnes, Geary, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Derby County: - Robinson, goal, Methven, and Leiper, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), and Harvey, halfbacks, Brooks, Hamilton, Bloomer (s) McMillan, and keay forwards. Mr. J.Lewis acted as referee .

The home team were the first to get away, but were promptly driven back, Williams bothered Leiper, but who proved safe. Brooks replied in a spirited manner, with the result that Parry had to concede a corner. This was of no avail, and Everton took up the running, when Williams headed in, so well that Robinson had to use his fists. Bell passed to Geary, who put over the box, and upon Holt robbing Brooks, Bell ran down, and the ball went to Geary, but again his shot was faulty. The visitors sustained pressure, and from a free kick taken by Parry, Williams, Bell and others served a neat passing movement up, which came to nothing as the whistle was sounded. Derby defended well, and broke away on the left. Kelso and Parry put in good work and finding no means of getting through the defence. Archie Goodall lited the ball over the hands of his opponents right into goal, Sutton being taken apparently quite by surprise. Derby thus led at the end of twelve minutes. Returning Hamilton became dangerous, but was dispossessed very cleverly by Stewart. Everton had the pull for some time afterwards, and in Williams shooting into goal, Geary took the return and headed into the net. With the score now even, it looked as though Everton would immediately go ahead, but a fine shot by Geary proved ineffective. Harvey next brought down Chadwick, but nothing tangible resulted from the free kick, though Everton pressed very hard. Williams became very conspicuous on the right for one or two neat centres, from one of which, Holt shot correctly, compelling Robinson to give a corner, Geary, Chadwick and Bell next went away in a combined run, but McInnes could make nothing of the final touch to the movement. Parry then gave Geary another opportunity, but the centre man, after dodging two opponents made a bad shot. Success however, to Everton was not to be much longer delayed as from a free kick well placed, the ball was notched once or twice in the scrimmage and was driven into goal 25 minutes from the start. It was not long before Derby were near equalising. This arose from a free kick against Parry. In defending this Stewart give hands, but Parry rushed in and headed the threatened danger away. Everton next had two corners conceded them, which were useless and Bloomer seemed to have the measure of Stewart in a fast run, but he had Parry to reckon with, who cleared close on the goalline. Geary soon opened up a chance, but Bell did win, and went wide. The home team made another strong rush to the front, and was really menacing, but Parry checked them at the expense of a free kick. Stewart next put up to goal neatly, with the result that McInnes shot exacted a futile corner. Chadwick followed by putting just outside goal, as did Geary from Boyle with a good shot. Derby, in fact, had a warm experience at this period, but were equal to the demands, and when the interval arrived Everton were still leading by 2 goals to 1.

As the Derby men had the wind in the second half they resumed operations with reasonable hope of saving the match, but Everton reopened in a spirited manner, Geary taking fair AIM. Bell, too was going strongly from a pass by McInnes, but was pulled up for offside, and the other end of the field became the scene of interest, when both Parry and Boyle checked rushed, but did not clear and so Goodall shot the ball failling into the hands of Sutton which was safe. A mishap them occurred to Williams, as on being charged, by McMillan, he fell back and bumped his head severely as to stum him. Everton had in consequence to play short handled for a time, but they attacked though not very keenly and in turn were rather hard pressed. The game, which had always been fast, increased in speed, and with Williams back again in his position, the ball travelled quickly from end to end, both sets of defenders having to be very active. At length Keay ran clear, and screwed in from the corner and into the net. Sutton misjudging the fight of the ball. Now on an equally again the play waxed warmer for a winning goal. On time almost Geary sent the ball skimming over the bar, and in reply Sutton had to save twice, the result of a good game being a draw of 2 goals each. During the match some of the spectators hooted the referee, who has threatened to report the bad behavior to headquarters.



January 14 1895. The Liverpool mercury

These teams meet at Goodison Park on Saturday in a friendly contest before a small gathering of spectators. Two thirties were agreed upon. The game opened tamely, the first incident of note being a small run down by the home forwards but Murray shot badly and Accrington defence was again tested. Hartley sent in a shot which, Holden negotiated, but failed to get the ball clear, and Handford sent into the net. A moment later Hartley headed over, and from the goal kick Lambie headed a movement to the other end, where Cain was in readiness and cleared. Following which, the visiting forwards could make but, little headway against the stronger Everton defence. McDonald took the ball nicely down and forced a fruitless corner. A few minutes later Parkinson was at faulty and on the ball travelling across to the home right, Murray registered a second for Everton. At length Lambie had a chance, but shot too high, and McDonald racing down sent in strongly, and the ball slid from a player into the net. At half time Everton were winning by 3 goals to nil. On restarting Everton forged ahead and shot in repeatedly, but their efforts lacked finish. At length McMillan registered a fourth goal, and repeated the performance directly afterwards. Thus Everton winning by 5 goals to nil. Teams Everton: - Cain, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Storrier, Walker, and Elliott, halfbacks, McDonald, Murray, Hartley, McMillan, and Handford, forwards Accrington: - Holden goal, Ditchfield, and Marsden backs, Frame, Chadwick, and Parkinson, halfbacks, Greenwood, Hargreaves, Lambie, Carnie, and Wilkinson, forwards. The attendance at Goodison road, as was only to be expected under such conditions as ruled on Saturday, was a very long way below the average. The Accrington players were the visitors, and under the circumstances the game was of an enjoyable character. The play altogether in favour of the Evertonians, though there were frequent intervals, when the visitors showed good points, but they always failed when they reached close quarters. Adams and Arridge did not gave much quarter, and Storrier at halfback often spoiled the otherwise strong combination of the opponents forwards. McDonald of the Press Guard, who put in a first appearance in the Everton ranks, was a capital right wing, and should developed into a first class player. McMilland and Handford were also a good pair and much of the success of the home side was due to the work of the front line. Cain was not troubled much, but on the other side, Holden had plenty of work to do, and came fairly well out of the situation.



January 14 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton duly fulfilled their postponed League match with Stoke on Monday afternoon, and in a very satisfactory manner, as they won by three goals to nil, and so broke the short, if costly, spell off ill-luck that had dogged their steps since New Years Day. Bearing in mind that the game had to be played on the first Monday after the holidays that working men as a rule had settled down to work again, and further, that the weather was of very wintry character, the attendance something like 7,000 or 8000 spectators was a good one. Then again, Stoke have cut a rather sorry figure among the leading clubs this season, and as they had been beaten in the Potteries on September 8 by Everton in a decisive manner by three goals to one, its attractiveness diminished to the insignificance of a ‘'forgone conclusion'' notwithstanding that Everton had shown a tendency to deterioration in their three preceeding contests. In a measure the clubs took the frost bound field under equal conditions. Neither was fully represented, singularly the two famous outside left wingmen-bell and Scholfield-being absented from their respective teams. The game proved more one-sided than the score actually suggest. Only about four times during the afternoon did Stoke get in fair shots at goal, and that Everton did not score more in a tribute of commendation to the defences of Clare, Eccles, and Clawley rather than the weakness of the Everton attack, which was of a spirited and methodical kind though the slippery footing put accurate shooting at a premium. W.Willams played outside right for Everton, and made a debut full of good promise of future usefulness to the Goodison Park organistaion. The understanding between him and McInnes and Boyle seemed clear, and the goal he scored just before the interval was a gem. Geary also played a dashing and bright game at centre forward, and altogether the front line proved very powerful. A few more goals should have rewarded their enterprise, and these might have been useful when League accounts are settled at the end of the season, since goal-average may determine the championship. The halfbacks, backs, and goalkeeper-Boyle, Holt Stewart, Kelso, Parry, and Williams-were the same that had shaped so well against the Wolverhampton Wanderers the previous Saturday, and how effective they were the run of play demonstrate.

Everton retrograded again on Saturday, and could but make a drew at Derby with the County of two goals each. Under ordinary circumstances a draw is a fair achievement by a visiting team, but where Liverpool had succeeded in effecting a win on Wednesday last, the partial failure three days later by Everton is significant. The Derby County team only difference in two instances from that which, had been beaten by Liverpool, Robinson displacing Green in goal, and Keay succeeding Paull in the front ranks. These changes were expected to have a strengthening influence, and certainly in the case of Keay the alterations was officious, as he played with much dash all through, and scored a fine goal, from almost near the corner, which completely deceived Sutton, who going out to meet the ball, saw it curl in behind him, and land into the net. Earlier on Sutton was even more at fault. Archie Goodall tried a lobbing shot over the heads, and out of the reach of the backs. There was no chance for any one to get at the ball, but the goalkeeper. It went in direct at a medium height, but Sutton utterly failed in a weak effort to save. It is hard to be serve on a promising young player, but he must be held responsible to a very great extent for his inability to win where Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, and Liverpool had all won during the current season. williams would have been in goal, but is suffering from an attack of lumbago, whist Cain has not yet been forgiven for his breakdown at Olive grove. In time Sutton will, no doubt make a reliable goalkeeper. He is young, of powerful and noble physique, and that he understands his duties and has the ability to execrise his prerogative was shown in the last few minutes of Saturday; s play, when he parried at least three dangerous shots; but he lacks the necessary experience which ensures confidence and coolness when the issue at stake is the momentous one of a League match. The backs and halfbacks may be never so brilliant and energetic, and yet cannot prevent two such random shots-experiments from lengthy range-as those which gave Derby their two goals, and robbed Everton of a win their otherwise good play had deservedly entitled them to. Kelso again gave a splendid exhibition of defence, and proved that as a right back he may have his peers but not superiors. Parry too, was in great form and extricated his side out of several knotty difficulties, he and Kelso by their complete understanding, and covering of each other, shielding Sutton repeatedly from being put to a too ofter reoccurring test. The halfbacks line was once more filled by the capable trio-Boyle, Holt, and Stewart- and each did himself full credit. They had no sinecure, for with Bloomer in the centre and fast wingmen, the Derby forwards were very speedy, and took a lot of watching, and catching, too, if they once got away. Still the Everton halfbacks were repeatedly doing something clever, especially in a defensive direction, and to these and Kelso and Parry it was very hard lines that all their play should end in a comparative fizzle. The forwards were good and bad. The field play was pretty and skillful, with the result that Everton were much more on the offensive than defensive, but the passing was overdone, and there were in consequence, not so many shots at goal as there ought to have been, for was the shooting if limited, of the best quality, but of course the slippery state of the ground will account for indirectness of the firing. Individually the forwards are clever, but they do not adapt themselves to the circumstances of the moment-that is, science is not so likely on any ground to lead to goals as persistent rushes and hard shooting often applied. The Everton left wing did not stand out so boldly as usual, and it was evident that Bell had not fully regained his health. Geary, Chadwick, and McInnes worked well together whilst Williams, though badly stunned just before after the interval, came up to the standard of the average League player, his heading for goal being especially well done, but he would be more useful if number in his movements. The Derby men were quite as fast as Everton, but had not the same degree of cohesion. Their motto, however, was decision and precision. They went straight at goal when they had the chance, and were by this means frequently dangerous but they could not sustain an attack for long. Bloomer and Archie Goodall were the most useful, perhaps and both were particularly assiduous in their effect to lower their opponents colours. The Everton executive are alive to the importance of getting their men in good condition, and on arriving in Liverpool they returned to West Kirby, where they had been since Tuesday, to be prepared for the Aston Villa match on Thursday next at Goodison Park.


EVERTON 4 ASTON VILLA 2 (game 173)

January 18 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The first meeting of these two strong teams in connection with the League took place at Goodison Park yesterday the match having been postponed from December 29 owing to boisterous weather. Interest in the contest was of the highest owing to Everton being in keen competition with Aston Villa and Sunderland for the championship, the spectators numbering about 15,000 including in which were three trains loads of excursions from Birmingham. The ‘'Brums'' have been seen to great advantage during the past two months not having lost a match since November 17, winning on every occasion except one in which instance they effected a drew with Sunderland at Wearside wheras Everton have fallen of somewhat of late from the success which, they enjoyed in the earlier part of the season. teams Everton: - Williams, goal, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Milward, McInnes, Geary, Chadwick, and Bell. Forwards. Aston Villa: - Dunning, goal, Spencer, and Welford, backs, Reynolds, Cowan, and Russell, halfbacks, Athersmith, Dorrell, Devey, Hodgette, and Smith, forwards. The ground of course, was in a muddy condition consequently upon the recent rain, whilst the attendance was good, despite the fact that rain fell heavily. Just before the Start Everton having won the toss, were at once on the attack in a spirited manner, especially on the left, and before the visitors could clear a corner was conceded to Everton. This was taken by Bell, and so well placed that the homesters opened the scoring (Milward) account three minutes from the start. A free kick next fell to Everton, from which, Parry put into the net, but the ball was untouched. From the kickout, Reynolds obtained possession; and put out to Smith, who defeated Kelso, and centred, but Dorrell headed wide, this being the first time, Aston Villa had visited that end. Just afterwards Milward got a clear field, but when going nicely slipped over the ball and fell, but this was of little consequence, as Geary receiving from Bell, threaded his way through the visitors defence and shot hard in, but misdirected just outside. Still maintaining the pressure in excellent style, Geary Bell, and Chadwick had shies, and Milward, after ten minutes play by a good individual effort defeating Russell, and Welford, sent in a long shot which, completely beat Dunning. Upon restarting Hodgetts initiated a forward movement, and sent to Dorrell who raced past Stewart and Parry, but Kelso lying in wait upset him before any further damage could be done, and Bell again nearly got through with a fast grounder. Smith was next prominent with a fast run, and this time his cross pass was attended with better look as Athersmith dashed the ball into the net, but the point was disallowed. In a trice Geary was again on the ball and by his superior speed showed a clean pair of heels to all, but the wretched ground bothered him at the final shot, which went wide. The Everton forwards were again soon in evidence, but offside on the part of Bell spoiled a golden opening, while from a strong pass by Cowan an effort was wasted so far as Aston Villa were concerned by Parry keeping Dorrall off the ball till it ran over the line. The tremendous speed at which, the game had been carried on now turned down. Play generally, however, was in the Villa quarters, and their forwards were very well attended to by the home halfbacks. Following a free kick by Parry, which eventually was taken on the goalline. Reynolds gave Athersmith a chance, which he took and slipped off a top speed, and Dorrell drove hard, straight shot at Williams, which took the latter all his time to hold, but which, however, he cleared safely. Geary being put in by Parry, dribbled a short distance and tipped to McInnes, who in turn sent on to Milward, and that player wound up a splendid forward display by adding a third goal, amidst the greater applaud and excitement. Hardly had the ball kicked off before Geary was again in position, but a nasty foul by Cowan ruined his team's chance. Allowing their opponents no quarter, first Geary and then bell had excellent tries to lower the opposing cidadel, Bell's shot in particular going through Spencer's legs, and striking the upright. Reynolds eventually giving relief by kicking over the goal line. By way of a diversion, Cowan and Russell opened out the play a little, and Smith put in another of his characteristic dashes, but again his well meant endeavors were doomed to disappointing as Dorrell headed just over the bar. Several corners fell to the home team without result, but one in particular caused the greatest excitement, as the ball hobbed about Dunning's charge for several seconds. Spencer at length driving up the field. After each goal had been visited in rapid succession and both goalkeepers called upon to clear the Villa, put in the best bit of their play so far, some clever combination by Devey, Athersmith, and Dorrell, changing the scene of play, till Hodgette sent in a very weak final from a neat and favourable centre by Dorrell, who for some little time had changed places with Athersmith on the outside right. During some subsequent pressure by the Villians, Parry was placed hors-de-combat, and the game was delayed till he recovered, and great was the cheers when he limped back, to his position. He was immediately in requisition, and preformed his part with distinct success, in spite of his injury. Spencer was then called upon severely by Bell and Chadwick, but although these two had got the better of Reynolds, his partner came out nicely giving his forwards a splendid opportunity, and Devey, Hodgettes, and Athersmith again displayed fast and pretty cohesion, but the defence of Kelso proved too good for them at the final pitch, although supported by Reynolds, and Cowan. Half time arrive, with the play in midfield, and Everton fully deserving their big lead of 3 goals to none. Upon turning out, it was noticed that most of the Everton players, had taken the precaution to change their clothing, which, owing to the very heavy rain, must have been soaked through and through. Everton were the first to show up. Bell earning a corner off Spencer which proved useless. Reynolds then led up an attack and drove out to Smith, who slipping past Kelso, drew in towards the goal and gave Athersmith a beautiful opening-the best of the day-from which, however, that individual headed over the bar. Some excellent halfback play on the part of Boyle again put his side in the ascendancy, and Bell and Chadwick ran down but could only secure a futile corner. The play about this time was much more even than previously, but the home forwards recognizing the importance of assisting their defence. Judiciously came to their comrade's succor. Milward on one particular occasion, ran back, and getting the best of Smith, working the ball up the centre, giving at the right moment to his left wing, who in turn transferred back to Milward the Latter misjudging at the finish. This in no way affected the game, as in less time than it takes to relate Bell and Chadwick, assisted by Geary worked the leather towards their opponents charge, the former, who was lying close in tipping the ball into the net for the fourth time. Aston Villa then woke up, and excised a rather severe amount of pressure upon the home goal, Smith Devey, Reynolds, and Athersmith each in turn propelling shot which, Williams or Kelso had to put forth their best efforts to successfully negotiate. A foul against Devey gave temporary relief, but this was of little consequence, as Reynolds at length got hold, and dropping in one of his famous lobs, Smith settled on, and shot against the post. Dorrell completing the arrangement by sending home. The visitors were not lone with by any means, their play at this stage of the game being better than anything they had, hitherto shown, and the very determined assault they formulated upon the Everton goal deserved greater success. Good fortune came ere long, as from some ragged play on the grand stand side, Athersmith obtained possession, and lifting over to Smith on the left, that player who throughout had been very prominent, sent a sharp grounder, which Williams could not reach, his view being impeded by Kelso, and a second point was thus added to the visitors record, who thoroughly deserved their almost unlooked for success. A most unfortunate piece of bad luck then befell the Villians, as after Smith, who received from Hodgette and had outpaced Kelso and made a clear field, had scored a fine goal, he was penalised for offside a point which had a material bearing upon the result. Hardly had the game been restarted when again the Villa forwards were in complete possession but this time Hodgetts falled most unaccountably with the goal, at his mercy. Everton seeing that matters were not going their way altogether, brought Milward into defence, and this extremely judicious movement had a very apparent effect upon the general play. Right to the finsh the game was splendidly fought out, and a great and splendid contest resulted in a win for Everton by 4 goals to 2.



January 21, 1895. The Birmingham Daily Post

As far as can be foreseen, the defeat of the Aston Villa at Everton on Thursday puts them out of the running for the championship of the League, for Sunderland and Everton can each afford to lose three out of their nine remaining matches and still be on level terms with the Villa did the latter win all their unplayed fixtures. The Perry Barr men might easily perform this feat, but we are scarcely inclined to think that Sunderland will lose three more League matches, although there is a strong probability that Everton may. The latter team have still to visit Sunderland and Perry Barr, and their chances of winning either match are not at all good. Sunderland are sure to make a big effort by the Wearside, and we can vouch for the fact that the Villa players will do their level best to defeat Everton at Perry Barr, for the local men are most anxious to avenge their defeat at Goodison Park on Thursday. The prospects of Everton securing the League Cup are, therefore, not very bright, and for our own part we do not expect to find them top at the conclusion of the season. Sunderland in our opinion undeniably possess the better chance of winning, and unless the team fall to pieces in an extra-ordinary manner we shall quite expect to find them champions for the third time. Although the Villa only possess a forlorn hope of repeating last year's performance we trust that they will play on with just as much enthusiasm as though they had won at Everton, and will make a great effort to win their next six League matches. If they accomplish this feat they will be credited with 44 points, and there is a possibility, though it is a remote one, that total might place the local club at the top.

The Match At Everton.

The Villa's defeat at Everton on Thursday was a great disappointment to their supporters, and many of the latter who were present at Goodison Park aver that the Villa did not lose, but that the game was a draw. They say that an off-side goal was awarded to Everton, and that a legitimate goal scored by the Aston Villa was wrongly disallowed. With regard to the first assertion we have nothing to say, for Everton's fourth goal, the legitimacy of which was questioned, was scored at the Stanley Park end of the field, and at such a distance from the press-box that it was impossible to form an accurate judgment about it. With regard to the Villa's point, which was disallowed, we have no hesitation in saying that it was the finest goal of the day. It was scored by Smith, at the end nearest the press-box, the occupants of which were unanimous in their opinion that the point was legitimate. Hodgetts and Smith were bringing the ball along the wing, when the back came to tackle them, and Hodgetts kicked it behind the Everton defender. Smith, who was in front of the back when Hodgetts kicked the ball, lipped by his opponents, dashed into goal, and his shot a beautiful one, completely beat the Everton custodian. It was a grand effort on the part of the Villa player, and deserved better success than awaited it. When the referee disallowed the point, general surprise was manifested, and after the match was over, both Mr. J.J. Bentley and Mr. W. McGregor, the president and ex-president of the League, did not hesitate to say that it was a splendid goal. The adverse decision of the referee, in our opinion, lost the Villa the match, for there was no doubt as to which was the better side at that time. It was a case of the Villa first and Everton nowhere, and so desperately were the former playing that had the third goal been allowed there is little doubt they would have drawn the game, even if they had not won it. The referee, of course, gave his decision in perfect good faith, but still that is not much consolation to the Villa, who have been none too well treated by the referees this season. Everton, on the contrary, have been most kindly dealt with, especially when they paid their memorable visit to Small Heath. But for a palpably wrong decision on that occasion they would not now be in their present position, and it would be hard lines on Sunderland if Everton won the League Cup by a point. There have been so many complains about the referee this season that the League will do well to make some new arrangements for their competition next year. We do not for a moment mean to insinuate that the officials chosen by the League are not honest and impartial gentlemen, and fir to govern any game, but we think that too much is left to the power of one man, for, however, capable he may be, many things are constantly occurring in the progress of a match that entirely escape his notice simply because he cannot be everywhere at the same time. The old system of a referee and two umpires might be again reverted to, with the difference that the umpires as well as the referee should be neutral. The unseemly wrangles that used to occur on the field because the umpires were usually the twelfth men of the opposing teams were the principal cause of the introduction of the present system. The same objection could not be urged, however, against independent umpires, for they would prove valuable assistants and advisers to the referee in doubtful cases. We think that the appointment of neutral umpires would go a great way towards the solution of the referee difficulty. We have already referred to the manner in which the men comprising the Aston Villa team acquitted themselves. In the first half they were distinctly overplayed, but, as we have said, had the defence been as sound as it was at Preston on the previous Saturday, the Everton team would not have won the match. The Villa backs during the first three-quarters of an hour were not as safe as they have been in the proceeding contests, nor was Dunning quite up to his form in goal. He could not get from side to side of his goal very quickly on account of the heavy state of the ground. Still, it must be said for him that it was through no fault of his that the second goal was scored, for his view of the ball was obstructed by Spencer. One thing is clear however, that Dunning did his best; and therefore he must have been considerably annoyed at the unsportsmanlike behaviour of a section of the spectators at Perry Barr on Saturday, who cheered the Villa goalkeeper ironically every time he stopped a most simple shot. Of course Dunning's brilliant display at Preston which undoubtedly gained the day for his side, counted as nothing in the minds of the ignorant section of the crowd; they only remember that he was not in the same brilliant form at Everton. Dunning was not alone in his annoyance; it was shared by all his companions, who openly expressed their disgust in the dressing-tent after the match. We would call to the minds of those who were guilty of this ironical cheering that the Villa had previously played nine League matches, and how won eight, and drawn one, a record that has rarely been excelled, and we should have thought that the remembrance of this would have prevented such conduct as that to which we have referred. If the goalkeeper or any other member of the team is to be made the object of derision after every defeat, players will be chary of accepting engagements at Perry Barr, and the more respectable spectators will cease visiting the ground. We trust, however, that there will be no recurrence of this unseemly behaviour.



January 21 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup

This tie in the county competition was played at Goodison Park on Saturday in the presence of 8,000 spectators. With one exception on each side (Parry and J.Atherton) the clubs were strongly represented, as follows : - Everton: - Williams, goals, Kelso, and Arridges, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Milward, McInnes, Geary, Chadwick, and Bell forwards. Blackpool: - McOwen, goal, Parr and Davy, backs, Atherton Sturzaker, and Wilson halfbacks, Atkinson, Porter, Parkinson, Tyrer, and Cookson, forwards. Referee Mr. Kirkham. The ground was in very heavy condition, but there was no wind. Everton at once took up the attack, Bell shooting in well. A free kick fell to Blackpool but the home team returned, and Chadwick drove in straight when McOwen made a smart save. The visitors showed a good bit of play on both wings without getting in a shot, and then Milward had a try, but went wide. Coming up again McInnes centred and Bell headed on to the bar. The Blackpool left wing made a diversion in smart style, Kelso being tested upon to check them twice, with he did effectively. Bell then led up to goal, and screwed in to McInnes, but who put over the goal in a miserable attempt. McOwen next conceded a corner in attending to a shot from the left, and during continued pressure Parr and Davy both defenced well. The ball was put into the net, put the whistle sounded for obstruction of the goalkeeper. Sturztaker then came through, and Cookson ran clear, finishing up with a capital shot to Williams, who was safe. This actively on the part of the visitors aroused Everton and Geary and Milward each had good shots repulsed. Bell centred beautifully, but Parr just beat Geary for possession. Bell was again in evidence with a grand shot, but McOwen (late of Liverpool Club) saved smartly at the expense of a futile corner. Having defended excellently, the Blackpool men showed that they could also attack strongly. Atkinson gave a warm shot for Williams to deal with, and then a scrimmage ensued in front of the Everton goal, Cookson having very hard luck in hitting the bar with a spanking shot. A loud cheer, in recognition of the smartness of Blackpool, was accorded them. The play ran on pretty even lines, but Everton had the next chances, though making poor use of them. In reply Tyrer went over from long range, but the danger was great enough on the right wing to compel Kelso to run across to the help of Arridge. For some reason or other Everton did not got at all well, and it remained in doubt as to which, side would score the first goal. Wilson went wide from a long attempt and then the home team attacked in a manner more after their reputation. McInnes and Chadwick which had good shots checked, but the defence, was too keen, as it again proved on Chadwick assaying a splendid aim, McOwen stopping the ball finely. The following play furnished further proof that Everton were face to face with men who knew how to defend, be the attack never so keen and sustained. But though Everton were the attackers they had no monopoly, and Kelso was yet found employment. Half time arriving with the scoring nil. Immediately upon resuming Geary ran in, drawing the goalkeeper out to clear. Milward then centred nicely, but Geary missed the chance. A spurt on the vistors left was neutralised by Holt, and then last play by the Everton forwards was upset by sterzaker who blocked the ball when Geary was making for a shot. Milward headed a little wide, and followed with a good aim a corner being conceded. McInnes banged in at close quarters, but McOwen saved at the cost of a corner. Everton were now terribly in earnest, and sent in shot after shot, but in McOwen they met with a bete noir, and though Geary, Bell, and chadwick shot finely it was all in vain, the custodian being ready for every kind of shooting. Chadwick shot again but only to see McOwen clear as coolly as ever. Milward with difficulty, got the better of Parr, and centred, but Geary was not quick enough to beat the back. At length a throw in by Stewart, Bell ran down, and getting the best of McOwen scored the first gal at the end of an hour's play. The game went still more in favour of the home team, who passed to each other with much activity, but they had yet capable defenders to grapple with, and it says much for the pluck of Parr, Devy, and the halfbacks that they could withstand each heavy work with little show of tiring. In the meantime Boyle made two fair bids for goal. The wing play of Everton was always so good as to deserving of goals, but Geary was not so fortunate, and too frequently found himself nonplussed when getting into a stride for a shot, Stirzaker being a very vigilant and fast centre halfback. A scare was then given to Evertonians as the visitors suddenly broke away and became very dangerous, but luckily Williams was just in time to stop a hard low shot by Tyer a corner ensuing. Boyle removed danger, and Everton attacking keenly, went more directly repulsed. Holt next run the ball round the right halfback and forced a corner, from which, Chadwick scored a second goal twelve minutes off time. Rain, which had fallen almost continuously during the second half now, came down heavily. Everton established themselves distinctly masters of the situration, now and Bell was repeatedly causing trouble by powerful run. He invariably preferred this end to shooting, and by this means gave a colleagues chances of shooting. Milward and McInnes joined in good work, but corners only rewarded the later efforts of the home team. Holt having put narrowly outside, other good shots were experimented with but no further flaws were to be discovered in the defence of Blackpool, and a surprisingly good game terminated in Everton (the cup Holders) qualifying for the second round by a win of 2 goals to nil.



January 21 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Chester, for the benefit of Chester professionals. Hull showed up well for the Cestrianians in the first minute, but honour were pretty well diverted in the first half, Coventry, the Chester goalkeeper, staying a marvellous game. After half an hour's play each side scored, and at the interval still had one goal each. Storrier place Everton ahead, the visitors pressing hard towards the Finnish. Result Everton combination 2 goals, Chester 1.



January 21 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Beynold all cavil the game between Everton and Aston Villa on Thursday was one of the best ever witnessed, and thus despite the fact that the ground was in a very muddy state, and that rain fell in torrents during most of the play. There exhibition of skill and endurance was quite in keeping with the reputation of the two prominent and popular terms, and it is a matter of regret that it had to be given in midweek instead of a Saturday as thousands were thus departed witnessing a great tussle. Still there were something like 15,000 spectators which assemble. Everton braced up by their training in the wholesome atmosphere of West Kirby, took the field in the pink of conditions, and demonstrated this fact in a very clear manner, from the first hour they literally made ‘'rings'' around their opponents. They were full of dash, and going in for hard kicking, long passing, and frequent shooting soon found themselves in the comfortable position of leading by three goal, all from the foot of Milward. This was the scoring up to the interval. Everton strengthened their lead with a fourth goal (from Bell) and then seemed in a measure to leave. Anyway they fell off, and Aston Villa correspondingly improved. In the last 20 minutes Villians gave a good specimen of their high class speed, and cohesion and the pluck they displayed was rewarded with a couple of goals and one offside, the decision of the referee in disallowing the third point giving rise to much discussion. The play that led up to this irregular goal was simply grand and it was certainly ‘'hardlines'' for the Brum, but no one is in a better position for discriminating between legimate and illegitimate play than the referee, and Aston Villa are to be complimented in accepting the ruling in a sportsman like manner. That Everton excelled themselves is due primarily to their general combination, and secondly to the superiority of their halfback play and that Boyle Holt and Stewart should outshine in this respect Reynold, Cowan and Russell who are a clever trio, is praise indeed, and whether helping the forwards for asssistaing the backs, they were equally correct. Kelso and Parry were very safe in the first half, just before the interval the latter got badly hurt on the leg, and though he played gamely on, the tension became greater upon his colleagues. That they field out, with assistance during the last ten minutes is testimony to the attention given to preparation Williams had not a great deal to do, but he saved once or twice before being beaten in a masterly style. He might have stopped the second shot from taking effect had not Kelso accidentally obscured well together and adapting themselves to the circumstances of the ground dispensed with ‘'art'' and went in for ‘'go'' The long passing told immediately and had there been more of such at Derby the Everton team would have now headed the League. Ah, but Milward did not play at Derby, and he played against Aston Villa. That made a difference. Whilst complimenting Bell, Chadwick, Geary, and McInnes for their general tactics. Justice demands special mention of Milward, whose brilliancy on the right wing was a revelation to many. It is said that a good player should shine in any position. Milward like George Drummond and Matthews, McQueen is a reliable ‘'utility man'' One day he is centre forward, the next day on the left wing, heron on the right wing and finally is a back filling it must be acknowledged, all these different places, with credit and enthusing. The Villa were very speedy in their movements, especially Athersmith and Dorrell on the right wing, and yet he was partner on the left with Hodgetts who was slow and faulty Reynold toward above all his conferees in defence, and mainly through his Herculean efforts was the scoring curtained for the backs were not too reliable, nor was Dunning, though he only succumbed to a proportion of the shots that were levelled at h8is charge.

Everton were voted to have a ‘'soft'' task in hand on Saturday in their Lancashire Cup tie at Goodison's Park with Blackpool, but it proved very much to the contrary, and so well did the visitors defend that at the end of an hour's play no goals have been scored. Everton subsequently squeezed a couple of points, and won by Two goals to nil. The game thus took a much more interesting phase than anticipated but perhaps people were too ready to discount the ability of Blackpool, and had overlooked the fact that they are practically head of the Lancashire League. Everton with the exception that Parry was compelled through his injury of Thursday to stand down, and that Arridge filled his position had the same team that beat Aston Villa, and it was just as well that the executive paid Blackpool the compliment opposing each expert. The home team tried their utmost, and certainly had five-sixths of the attack. They passed well, and shot well, and it was not their fault that they did not pile goal upon goal. There was plenty of good shooting, but McOwen, who once belonged to the Blackburn Rovers, and afterwards to Liverpool, did wonder in goal. Parr and Davy too, were fearless and powerful backs, and Sturzaker a smart centre half back. On two occasions Blackpool were unfortunate in not scoring, but the dominant feature of the match was the stunly defence they showed to their more experienced rivals.


January 28, 1895. The Sheffield Independent.

The first league encounter this season between these two teams took place at Goodison Park on Saturday. The weather was fine but cold, and the ground, which was frozen, was covered with snow. There was a large attendance, about 15,000 spectators being present. The Sheffield team came in for a loud cheer of welcome, and it was evident that a large number of their supporters were present on the ground. The Blades having lost the toss, Hammond kicked off against a slight wind. He took the leather nicely along and finally passed across to Davies, but the latter was pulled up by Parry. After a brief break away by Everton, the Sheffielder left wing raced prettily away, the movement culminating in Needham shooting wide. This attack was followed by another on the part of Watson and Hill, who gave the home backs no little trouble to avert disaster. Hammond then got the leather, and sent in a beautiful shot, but the Everton goalkeeper just got to the ball in time, with his feet, and so averted an almost certain goal. This brilliant play on the part of the visitors roused their partisans to a high pitch of enthusiasm, and there was great cheering for the Blades. Everton next got a look in, and for some minutes Foulkes was kept busy, but he managed to keep his charge clear. The United then got away once more, Hammond and Davies initiating a beautiful movement. The latter passed to Yates, and that player took a long, low shot, which just passed outside the post. Here again the homesters forced their way into the Blades' quarters, and for some time Foulkes was hotly bombarded. Helped by the backs, however, he played champion game, and cleared everything cleverly. Then Watson and Hill once more rushed off the former taking the final shot, which failed, however, to find its billet. For sometime after this the Sheffield backs were kept busy, both Cain and Thickett proved equal to the occasion and kept the Everton forwards, at bay. Chadwick shot strongly, but the over-watchful Foulkes fisted out, and again the ball travelled towards Everton goal. Here Howell tried his luck at a shot, but the ball went wide. Shortly after this Watson thanks to a successful appeal for hands, had a good opening, but he failed to profit by it, his shot going very wide. As the interval time approached the homesters played up strongly, Bell, Chadwick, Geary, and Milward all having shots, but nothing was done, and half-time arrived with a clean sheet. On Resuming, the Blades at once went off with a rush, the forwards passing both backs, and the effort ending in Davies sending the ball into the net and ringing cheers, after a couple of minutes play. This roused the homesters up considerably, and for some time they attacked hotly, luck, however, seemed all in Foulkes way, for he got rid of all the shots marvelously, to the despair of the Everton spectators. The pressure was kept up for a longtime, and here both Thickett and Cain put in some sterling work, the former being especially prominent. At length Yates and Davies got off, but they were pulled up by Parry before becoming dangerous, and from this point the pace slackened off somewhat. Foulkes was given a little more work, and then midfield was once more the scene of action. Then both Yates and Watson had shots from their respective wings, but without success. Within the last five minutes the home forwards broke away and McInnes scored amid much cheering. The pressure was kept up, but nothing more transpired, and a well fought game end, Everton 1, Sheffield United 1. Teams: - Everton: - Williams, goal; Kelso and Parry, backs; Boyle, Storrier and Stewart, half-backs; Milward, McInnes, Geary, Chadwick and Bell, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal; Thickett and Cain, backs; Howell, Whittam and Needham, half-backs; Yates, Davies, Hammond, Hill and Watson, forwards.



January 28, 1895. The Birmingham Post

Everton's inability to defeat Sheffield United at Goodison Park has strengthened Sunderland's chance of winning the League championship, for they now lead their Liverpool rivals by a point –a point which will take a great deal of catching up before the end of the competition. The match at Goodison Park may rightly be classed as one of the week's surprises, for no one doubted Everton's capabilities to beat the United. The latter club, however, played a capital game, their defence especially being excellent, and they succeeded in drawing the contest. Everton have still to go to Bramall Lane, and the result of Saturday's match certainly leads one to think that the visit end in disaster. Sunderland have yet to meet the United both at home and away, and although the Wearsiders may lose two points at Bramell Lane, it is hardly likely that they will lose a point when playing at home. Everton's defeat puts them below the Villa on the list, for the latter club succeeded in gaining two points on Saturday where they lost two last season –namely, against the Bolton wanderer's t Perry Barr. They have now an equal number of points with Sunderland, who, however, in addition to possessing the better goal average, hold a great advantage in that they have played three games fewer than the local club. Unless something very unexpected happens we scarcely think the Villa can recover their lost ground, but if they can win their remaining five matches there is a great chance for them to get second, looking at the fact that Everton amongst their remaining engagements have to meet both their great rivals away. Sunderland will probably account for the Liverpool team by the Wearside, and the Villa will, doubtless, win at Perry Barr. The fixture at Burnley is the only one that is viewed with any apprehension by the Villa's supporters, but it should be bourne in mind that both Everton and Sunderland have to fulfil a similar engagement. In this respect, therefore, the chances are equal.



January 28 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The first match of the season between these teams place at Goodison' Park on Saturday when despite the wintry character of the weather, there was a good attendance numbering about 18,000. With the exception that Holt's place was filled by storrier the Everton side was the same as that which, had beaten Aston Villa on the 17 th inst. Everton: - Williams goals, Kelso, and Parry, backs, Boyle (captain), Storrier, and Stewart, halfbacks, Milward McInnes, Geary, Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal, Thicketts, and Cain, backs, Howell, Whitham, and Needham halfbacks, Yates, Davies, Hammond, Hill, and Watson, forwards. Mr. Armitt officiated as referee.

The visitors kicked off, and were promptly on the attack, but beaten off before having a shot. A spurt by Everton was equally, abortive, and then the United were dangerous as after Needless had shot outside, from the sustained pressure Hammond drove in hand, but Williams caught the ball and cleaned. Bell then shifted the venue running down and centring when Milward hit the bar from a good shot. Geary supplementing by shooting a little wide. The play was evidently to be of a keen and fast kind, and for a time the visitors gave a lot of trouble, Williams having to run and fist away, whilst Kelso was also in requisition, and kicked to safe land. Geary mulled, but Bell got possession, and put his side on the attack, when Chadwick tried a long shot. This Foulkes fisted out of goal, but was at once called upon again, being so hard not to as to give a corner. Everton now became the aggressor in earnest. Whiitham was penalised for fouling Geary, and the free kick led to an exciting scrimmage in front of goal. Foulkes used his fist twice in quick succession, but finally Boyle put justed outside. The home team were persistent at this juncture, and both McInnes and Storrier made a fair bid for goal. There was no breaking down the defence, however, and in reply Watson skipped off and ran the ball nearly into goal, but was challenged by Parry, who went to the rescue with a hard kick. Returning to the attack Everton showed better combination. A corner was conceded by Foulkes, from which, Chadwick hooked the ball justed outside. A moment later Milward centred beautifully, but Bell justed missed the pass, and a good chance was thus lost. Howell next tried his luck at goal getting, but was faulty, and the play reverted to the other end, where Geary had a shot but it lacked accuracy, and when the pressure was increased the defence proved the offence proved impassable. Only a corner ensuing. Storrier tackled well, and played an important part in enabling Everton to be aggressive. Chadwick next tried a long low shot. This Foulkes went out to meet in a hesurely way. He dropped the ball, and Milward charged, but could not help putting outside. Chadwick followed with a long shie, but this the goalkeeper stopped and then the left winger made another attempt. It was all in vain, as was a sustained attack right up to the interval, which arrived with the scoring nil. Almost immediately upon resuming however Sheffield obtained a goal in a rather unexpected manner. The ball was worked down the centre, Kelso met the ball, but only blocked, instead of kicking strongly, and Davies seeing a chance took it, and beat Williams with a clear shot. Everton lost no time in trying their utmost to repair the damage, and settled in front of goal, but their finishes were weak. Howell fouled Chadwick, and some excellent heading for goal ensued but the defenders were always in their right place. During the siege Chadwick was again fouled, this time being hurt, so much as to necessitate his retirement for a brief spell. In the meantime the United escaped on the right without becoming very threatening. Though repulsed, they went back again, and got a free kick, which, Everton cleared, and in turn had a free kick at long distance. One justed outside the twelve-yard line followed this, from which Stewart shot in nicely, but Foulkes saved smartly by punting aside. Free kick were now plentiful and invariably given against the visitors who were ready at changing. Everton did well in the open, but there was a lack of power, as a rule when near goal. After Geary had been penalised, Stewart put in a good works, with the result that Bell, Chadwick and Milward, went away in a dangerous, but futile movement. Trouble then befel Everton, but Hammond dallied, and so gave Stewart time to get the ball returned. Sheffield were not yet to be driven back, however, and harassed the home defence until they had a shot which, went narrow. Milward was now tried as centre and soon had a splendid shot, almost hitting the bar. Everton again went with a rush, and from Bell's shoot, which Foulkes played. Milward penetrate the net, but the point was voted for offside against bell. The home team made stremous efforts to save their colours, but Foulkes attended to the increasing number of shots with the utmost coolness, and so solid a defence was set up that the probability of Everton winning, or even making a draw became very small indeed. Now and again the united break away, but were not permitted to make a too close acquaintance with the Everton citadel. Many however, had not yet lost hope, remembering the sunderland match and five minutes before the finish the confidence ones sanguine views were justified, as from a keen tussle in close proximity to goal, McInnes put the final touches to a dashing movement, and equlised. Everton had the best of the short remaining play, which of course was carried on amidst feverish excitement, but failed to get a commanding goal, and a fast hard game terminated in a draw of one goal each.



January 28 1895. The Liverpool mercury

At Turton, before a good gate. Both sides were strongly represented, and good play was seen. Everton soon scored, and then Turton. This was the state of the game at half time. Result Everton 5 goals, Tuton 2. Everton: - Sutton, goal, Adams and Arridges backs, Walker, not kown, and Elliott halfbacks, Mcdonald, Murray, Hartley, McMillan and Handford forwards .



January 28 1895. The Liverpool mercury

If the Arctic weather continues much longer Everton will have to lament in their pursuit of representation in the League; Temple of Fame'' that they found ‘'Steep its ascent and slippery was the way.'' Three times have Everton had a play since the new set in hard ground coated with snow, and on each occasion they have cut up disappointingly. Moreover, on each of these three occasions they have had the best of the game, but proforionately speaking, the worst of scoring. To begin with they should, from the amount of pressure they brought to beat upon the Wolverhampton Wanderers, defence, have secured three goals at least, but instead the ‘'Wolves'' won by a goal to nil. Again at Derby there should have been an equally clear margin of goals in favour of Everton, but the result was a draw of 2 goals each; and finally on a snowly slippery ground, Everton on Saturday, after having fully two thirds of the attack could effect merely a draw with Sheffield United of a goal each though playing at Goodison Park and were moreover perilously near being really beaten their equalising goal having been deferfed till the last five minutes of the game. The inference is plain that Everton cannot rise, to the occasion on a difficult ground, and scientic though they be under normal conditions, they have yet something to learn. On a defective footing such as was experienced on Saturday precise and accurate kicking and passing could not be expected to be consistently maintained, and there was nothing for it, but to be quick in taking and parting with the ball-rushing for goal in a pell-mell way, in fact and trusting to something in the shape of a chance turing up. This idea was tumbled to when it was too late, and had there been more of that kind of attack, which, was tried on Milward going centre forward earlier in the game, Everton would not now perhaps be smarting under their latest disappointing. The lessons of the Wolverhampton and Derby unshape had not been learnt or the tactics would have been changed. Everton cannot have been effected with an overwhelming confidence in their certainty of success long after the commerement, for the United had the best of the first ten minutes, being very quick in the action and making for goal with a swing that secured progess. Afterwards Everton were more or less the aggressors, but could make no impression on the defence and immediately following the interval actually accumbed to a surprise movement. Something like consternation fell upon the Everton camp at this predicament for so we were Foulkes in goal, and the backs defending that it had long before become evident that loopholes would be found only by the most delegate search and well sustained siege. Time travelled on too quickly, hope diminished too readily, for it was not alone the less of the match that the partisans were fearing, but the almost inevitable ascribe of the League championship. It was then a possive relied when Mcinnes put on their equalising goal. Everton have thus just a change thereby of the championship, but seeing that they have yet to meet Sunderland, Aston Villa, Sheffield United, and burnley-away from home, the prospect is not at all roses, especially as the team is suffering from disorganization though injuries, and sickess, but if Everton executives and players, fairly put their shoulders to the wheel, than apparently invulnerable position held by sunderland may yet be capturned. If so all the more merit. Of the players on Saturday, it is hardly fair to criticise too pointedly. They all did their level beast, but it happened it was not the best of many other occasions. Williams had not much to do. He stopped one or two warm shots well, but was quite prepared for one, which beat him. This is easily understood, as Kelso had the ball at his foot, but failed a very rare thing, to kick it properly with the result that it went somewhat accidentally to Davies, who to his credit, took possession smartly, and shot in a manner which, thoroughly deserved the goal he gained. With the exception of this one costly mistake, Kelso joined Parry in good defenace. Halfbacks were not so strong in element in the team as usual but they yet did splendid work whilst Storrier, who filled Holt's place, tackled well. The forwards were the rock on which, the good ship almost got stranded. It was not because they did not work unflinchingly, but there was a weakness in the centre. Whitham harassed Geary very much. This caused him, apparently to get excited, and his play deteriorated in consequence with the front line disturbed the shooting was not frequent enough, nor accurate enough.