October 1894


October 1 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The attraction at Goodison Park on Saturday was that to be furnished by Everton and West Browich Albion. The latter had won just half their previous League matches this season having beaten when at home Wolverhampton Wanders Liverpool, and lost away to Sheffield United and Sunderland, the Albion having scored eleven goals against six by their opponents. Everton on the other hand, had won all their matches, five in number and netted 20 goals to five. They were thus signs of inequality between the teams, but the interest of the public was a s keen as ever, for the ‘'gate'' realised £410. Unfortunately for the true test of skill, Richards the inside left forward of the Albion missed his train, and the club had to make shift with only ten men. The names of the players being as follows: - Everton:- Williams goal, Adams and Parry backs, Boyle, Holt and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, Mcinnes, Southworth (captain), Chadwick, and Bell, forwards, West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Williams, and Crone backs, Perry (t), Perry (c), and Taggart half-backs Bassett, McLeod, Hutchinson, and Newell forwards. Mr. Ashmore acted as referee. The home team played against the wind at the start, but the visitors had the sum to face so the advantage of winning the toss was not materials. The start was of a sensational character as after the Albion had been checked the Everton left wing went strongly, and Chadwick made a running pass to Bell, who screwed in to goal, and scored magnificently within two minutes of the kick off. The ball passed through between the near post and the custodian who had no chance. A great cheer greeted the effort, which was renewed as the ball was placed in the centre of the field. The home team lost no time in again closing in upon goal, and kept there for a few minutes but the defenders were not to be caught napping this time, and once in particular Southworth was smartly dispossessed when seeing to have the goal at his mercy. The visitors found it very difficult to break away and when they did so they could not go beyond the backs. The home teams again went strongly to Readers's charge when Latta and Chadwick made attempts to further reduce goal, but were very accurate in their direction. Finding they could not get to short ranges, the Albion essayed along aim of no avail whist Parry prevented the right wing being too aggressive a little late. Weather Everton were not putting themselves about very much owing to their opponents being numerically weak, that the rival half-backs were too effective, certain it is that the game became somewhat flat and uninteresting, the cheering being unusually scare. Every now and again Everton would forge ahead, but only to see Williams or Crone check them just in time, or for Reader to put his foot to the ball when a likely shot was fired. The Albion men were evidently bent upon dying hard. There was no mistaking their activity, and they seemed to improve as the game progressed. At length a fine shot by McLeod put Williams to the test, and he got well cheered for the smartness. A further shot followed, but on each occasion Williams cleared, and the game returned to its old character of Everton attacking repeatedly and in being invariably foiled almost on the goal line. A free kick near in opened up possibilities of the home team at length again scoring, but the Albion survived the scrimmage. Williams at back being prominent at this anxious moment. Again Chadwick tried an overhead aim, but which went a little too high. Now Bassett came under notice as he exacted a corner from Parry. This he so well placed that Williams gave a second flag kick which was also taken by the international who created something like fear that the score would be equalised from the tussle that ensued, Holt However, came though in triumph with the ball. Stewart who landed into the net without the sphere being touch next took a free kick. Some long passing by the four Albion forwards met with an encouragement cheer, especially when the movement was flourished off with a hard shot that was not very wide of the mark. There were now more animating bits of play than hitherto, and the tendency were strongly with Everton who were several times near scoring, Southworth once called upon Reader, and then Bell sent in beautifully a low shot, which went in with such force that the custodian seemed forced over the goal line. When he kicked the ball away, and brought up the interval, with Everton leading by a goal to nil. The result was never expected, but if the scoring was so curtailed it spoke well for the pluck and determination of the visitors. Everton resumed in earnest, but they again had to encounter smart work by the half-backs and backs of the Albion, and, however, often Everton went forward, they were doomed to the same kind of treatment they had met with for about an hour. Then Bassett and Newall; indulged in a see-saw movement first one breaking away and centering to the other, and then, finding themselves just too late to beat either Parry or Adams for a final touch. The play became keener after these smart attempts to break down the defence of Everton, and buoyed up by the shouts of their supporters the Everton vanguard put on a special effort, with the result that Chadwick at length scored Everton's second goal, an hour and 20 minutes having elapsed sine the first goal had been obtained. A miskick had now let them in and some two minutes later a fourth mistake presented another opening. When McInnes took from the left and shot straight into the net, Reader appearing to make no attempt to prevent the ball taking effect. The issue was thus no longer in doubt, which became clearer when a fourth goal was scrimmaged from Southworth foot. The Albion forced a corner on the right and were enabled to get a goal, a fair reward for their go ahead tactics odds, and the end soon arrived with Everton successful by 4 goals to 1.


October 1, 1894. The Glasgow Herald

So much interest centred in the meeting between these clubs at Everton that close upon 20,000 spectators visited the ground. The home side led off in brilliant style, a goal being scored for them by Bell within two minutes of the kick-off. Playing wonderfully well together Everton kept up a continual pressure, but they were unable to break through the admirable defence of West Bromwich. The play of West Bromwich was the more remarkable, as with Richards away they were a man short. Their passing in front of goal was admirable. Half-time arrived with Everton leading by 1 goal to 0. Immediately after the changes of ends the Albion forwards went off at a great pace, and made several determined attacks, on the Everton goal, but they could not get the ball through. Once having averted their danger, the Everton team began again to take the upper hand. Two of their charge were repulsed and then they scored twice, the points being gained by Chadwick and McInnes. A mistake by Crone gave Everton a fourth goal, and shortly before the finish West Bromwich scored form a corner kick. This left Everton victorious by four goals to one.


October 1 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Oswaldtwistle. Everton had the beat of matters at the start, and Storrier scored from a corner. Richmond then scored for the Rovers. Reay put Everton ahead early in the second half, but after some grand play by Richmond again equalised. Williams next put Everton in front, Matthews making the Rovers equal. Handford scored the winning goal for Everton. Result 4-3 in Everton favour. Everton team ; Everton: - Bleasdale goal, Milward and Arridge, backs, Brocoinhurst, Storrer, and Elliott half-backs, Williams Murray, Hartley, McMillian, and Handford, forwards.



October 1 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton, in receiving a visit from West Bromwich Albion on Saturday were by many thought to have a very easy task before them in sustaining the sequence of success which had rewarded that high-class play since the current season opened. It was not forgotten how the Albion were vanquished in December last by all the severity of seven goals to one; but the ‘'Throstles'' had a good credential for a few weeks that had elapsed since the 1 st September last. They had run the Sheffield United at Bramell-lane to a goal on the opening day; then they defeated the ‘'Wolves'' by five goals to one, and Liverpool by five to nil-the two latter teams at West Bromwich-and at Wearside a week ago, though Beaten by three goals to nil, are acknowledged by Sunderland themselves to have given immense trouble. The game, form whichever cause was looked upon with almost as much interest as any that had gone before this season at Goodison Park, as an attendance of fast approaching 20,000 testified; but a disappointment was in store for those had gone to see a fair and numerically equal contest as Richards, one of the Albion forwards failed to turn up in time to catch the last available train. His club thus had but tem men. Such a contretemps is serious. and both the club and individual at fault will be called to book. The Albion executive can settle with Richards, but the League will hold the club responsible for not having a reserve man in attendance. For the continued success of the League matter ought to be dealt with severely. The match was, of course spoil in consequence, but it was not allowed to be a walk over for Everton, and to the credit of the ‘'noble ten'' it most be pronounced that they did their utmost to redeem the game from the foregone conclusion it looked before the ball was set in motion. In the forward department they felt the absence of a fifth man, but not so perceptibly as might have been expected. Wing play was their only chance, and a good exhibition they gave, but there was as a rule a void when narrowing though at intervals, particularly in the second half, they stormed goal in a solid manner. At half-backs, backs and goalkeeping there was much to be admired, and bearing in mind, the strain out upon the department, it was abilliant feat that over an hour should elapse between the first and second goal scored by Everton. Then three goals came in quick succession, two on account of mis-kick by defenders and the third through some hesitancy on the part of Readers. But of course, the backs were tiring. It could not be any stretch of imagination be termed a great game, for probably Everton deemed it unnecessary to exert themselves too much under the circumstances; but with only a goal lead for so long they were running considerable risk of the Albion if not winning at least equalising. No department, however, could be blamed, for there were demonstration given that each was in good fettle and probably only backing the essential incentive to greater effort, whilst several of the players would perhaps feel somewhat stale after their trio to Scotland in the latter half of the week. Next Saturday Everton are due at the ground of Bolton Wanderers, and, in view of the Sunderland defeat there, it is safe to anticipate a severe encounter for the successful outcome of which good conditions will be needed.



October 3 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

A holiday fixture between these teams was decided at Macclesfield yesterday before 3,000 spectators. Everton won the toss their opponents starting the game uphill, after 15 minutes play Wheldon open the scoring for Macclesfield, who at half-time were leading by one goal to nil. Soon after changing ends, Everton mullified this and before long took the lead. They continued to play with much dash and before the finished passed, their scored twice, the game ending in a win for Everton by 4 goals to 1.


October 8, 1894. The Glasgow Herald.

The sensational victory of Bolton Wanderers over Sunderland had put a very great amount of fresh interest into their match against Everton, and fully 20,000 spectators were present to witness the game on the Bolton ground. Fortunately the weather proved pleasantly fine and so the large crowd had nothing to mar their enjoyment. From the outset the game was fast and exciting and within nine minutes of the kick-off Henderson, to the great delight of the spectators, scored a goal for the Bolton Wanderers from a clever piece of passing on the part of Cassidy. Following this success thee Wanderers kept up a scoring pressure, but the Everton defence was fully equal to the occasion and once having averted danger, the Everton forwards rushed the ball down the ground and amidst great excitement Bell equalised for the visiting team. For the remainder of the first half Everton had rather the advantage, but they could not break through the excellent back play of the Wanderers, and at half-time the score stood at one goal each. Having held their own so well in the first portion of the game, the spectators were naturally hopeful that the colours of the victorious Everton team would be lowered, but, as it turned out, the Everton men showed much better combination than before, and steadily wore down the opponents. For a time Sutcliffe kept goal admirably, and managed to ward off the many attacks of Everton, but at last he found a fine shot by Latta too much for him. The Bolton goal had a very narrow escape, as a shot from Chadwick hit the upright. Latta again beat Sutcliffe, but the point was disallowed on the plea of off-side. Just after this the crowd broke on the ground, and the game had to be stopped for a few moments. On the resumption, McInnes scored, and enabled Everton to gain a thoroughly well-earned victory of three goals to one.



October 8 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

No League match excited more curiosity than the above, which was played at Bolton on Saturday. It was easy to see why so much interest centred in the contest. A week ago there was only two clubs that had not suffered a defeat this season- Sunderland and Everton. The former experienced a heavy fall on Saturday week when visiting Bolton Wanderers, and Everton remained the only unbeaten team. It so happened that Everton had to follow in the wake of Sunderland to Pike's Lane, and how they would fare where the Wearsiders had failed was the problem of the day. The solution will be gathered from the subjoined details. Compared with the teams of the respective clubs which had been successful on the previous Saturday the changes were few, Freebairn superseding Millar, who got hurt last week whilst in the Everton team there were two alterations, Cain taking goal, vice Williams and Kelso making his first appearance this season in the league eleven, Adams having met with an injury to a foot. Teams: - Everton, Cain, goal, Kelso, and Parry backs, Boyle Holt and Stewart, half-backs Latta, McInnes Southworth (captain) Chadwick, and Bell, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe goal, Somerville and Jones (captain) backs Paton, Weir, and Freebairn half-backs Tannahill, Andrews, Henderson Settle, and Cassidy forwards. Referee J.Lewis. There was a large attendance of 14,000. The grass was plentiful but a little too long. Southworth lost the toss, and Everton faced the town goal, and the breeze, and were the first to defend. When Kelso attended to Cassidy. Then McInnes led away, Bell put in some work, and a chance was created, but Southworth proved too latta. Admits excitement Cain caught the ball from the left wing, whilst Holt blocked Henderson. From a good kick by Kelso the visitors got into a better line, but, on Southworth putting to Chadwick, the latter shot too high. Weir then came through the centre but was fouled. Chadwick next gave a free kick, and a moment Tannahill screwed in, and Parry failing in a heading tactic, Henderson scored at close quarters, Everton protesting in vain, the home team thus taking the lead ten minutes from the start. Everton then passed hard, but found the defence was impassable. Keeping to the front, Bell shot, when the goalkeeper was charged a place kick ensuing. A fine bit of passing by Everton opened up possibilities of scoring, but Southworth went wide. The Wanderers continued to be very strong in their running and kicking, and made warm work for the Everton defenders, when Kelso, Parry, and Cain in turn averted almost certain danger, the latter jumping up to a shot by Paton. Holt broke up the ugly scrimmage, and Everton were seen attacking in grand form, Sutcliffe stopping shots marvelously. Returning, a nice piece of play ended in Southworth from McInnes past, putting the ball on the wrong side of the goal. In checking Tannahill the outside right winger, Parry was penalised, but Holt cleared from the goal's mouth, and Everton had two free kicks, to the most dangerous of which Jones used his head with effect. McInnes next shot too narrowly, and Bell was prevented from closing in. Everton were enabled to sustain the attack just now thanks to grand tackling by Holt. Bell ran clear, and compelled the concession of a corner, when Paton head away beautifully, more good shooting was tried, but some one else's head was this time in the way. Surviving the onslaught gamely, the Wanderers went down on the left, but Henderson was too high on each of two occasions. A free kick to Bolton was dangerous, and then, after Everton had made a weal attempt, Cassidy whipped in with a shot which passed out close to the post. A free kick for fouling Southworth put Everton within range, and following some skirmishing Latta sent across the goalmouth, and Bell equalised at the end of 40 minutes. A little later Southworth dribbled near in, and shot so well that it took Sutcliffe, all the time to stop the ball from the sharp, low aim. Everton returned quickly, McInnes shot wide, Bell forced a corner, and Holt supplemented with a rasping shot just outside the goal. The Wanderers then breathed more freely, but before becoming again, threatening the Whistle sounded for a rest, the result of brilliant dashing play being in each side scoring a goal. On resuming Everton had the advantage of the wind, but their opponents renewed the attack at once. Kelso, Boyle and Holt, kicked timely, without the desired clearances, as Paton shot though wide. A free kick close in also looked ominous for Everton, but Southworth kicked the ball out of the scrimmage. Stewart next placed well up, and in attending to McInnes hands were awarded. The place was a good one, Bell shooting along the bar. The ball now travelled up and down rapidly, Chadwick eventually shooting in so smartly that he drew Sutcliffe out of his den. The custodian played the ball without arresting it, and Latta touching it into the net, gave his side the command. A spurt to the other end, was repulsed and then Latta was noticed flying down the wing. He centred but the whistle sounded at the same moment. Everton grow more aggressive than ever, Southworth ran down, but was floored, on the line whilst McInnes steadied only to shoot a little astray. ‘'offside'' pulled up Everton several times when going strongly the frequency of Mr. Lewis's interference raising ironical shouts from the Everton excursionists. Once Freebairn, a half back, stopped the ball in front of goal with a hand, but the whistle sounded, or a penalty would have been given. Sutcliffe next used his right fist twice to Chadwick's well-directed shots. Then the Wanderers had a throw in near goal, but Bell ran to the half-line, when he parted to Chadwick, who dribbled right down and shot grandly, hitting the post-hard lines. The Wanderers moved off down the centre in reply and were menacing, but Kelso rushed in and diverted the ball brilliantly. Latta had a running shot a little later, which Sutcliffe stopped with his feet, Bell being baulked in a sharp return, McInnes next shot softly into the goalkeeper's hands, and then from a pass Latta forced a corner, which he badly placed. Latta next put into the net, but was robbed of the point for off-side against Southworth. Bolton had for some time shown signals of distress, and were evidently beaten. Following a sight delay owing to the spectators encroaching upon the field of play at one corner. Weir and Jones changed places. Kelso on restarting cleared out the ambling raiders and Latta took up the parables, rounded his opponents and enabled McInnes to score a clever goal. The issue was now beyond doubt. Everton had the best of the remaining play, but were prevented adding to their score, and tried winners of a stern uphill game by 3 goals to 1.



October 8 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Everton, before 4,000 spectators. In the first half Everton, who had the best of matters scored four times to the Wanderers once. The second half was a repetition of the first. Everton scoring five times and the Wanderers once. Final Result Everton Resersers 9 goals Wanderers 2 goal.

Everton team: Bleasdale, goal, Milward and Arridge, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Elliott, half-backs, Reay, Murray, Hartley McMillan, and Handford forwards.

Lancashire Combination, position 1 st Play 6 won 5 Lost 0, Drawn 1 For 36, Against 7, points 11



October 8 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton had a difficult task before them on Saturday-that is, if they were to hold their unique record in the League. A week ago Sunderland had fallen at Pike's Lane, before the Bolton Wanderers, and Everton had to run the gauntlet of the same fire on Saturday. No team can attempt that which Sunderland had failed to do without being impressed, with the importanance of the occasion with the Hercules characteristic of the expedition. There may have been anxiety among the Evertonians, but confidence weighted down the scale, and now that the fight has been fought and won by the ample margin of two goals-three to one-it must be admitted that the songpipes were the Elishas. Everton at the finish really won ‘'handsdown'' but the Wanderers made the running. They tried the game that came off so well against Sunderland. It was to go ahead; to stand not on the order of go, but god. They thus ran strongly and passed lengthily then to drop the ball into the vicinity of the goal, and make for the ‘'narrow way'' in dashing and solid formation. The idea was brilliant, and brilliantly carried out-for a time. By their heading advances they were very successful in evading the Everton watchful half-backs, and soon met the necessary encouragement of a goal. They tried for another, but the eccentricity of the ball in gliding erratically off Parry's head, which helped them to the initial goal, denied them further favours and Everton soon got into a promising swing. The Bolton men, however, were still fresh. But would they stay the whole distance at the exhausting pace they had set. The first half hours play was much to the advantage of the Wanderers, but after that they were seen growing weaker and weaker. Everton correspondingly stronger and stronger. In the second half Cain did not have a shot to deal with, but this was due to the sound defence of Parry and Kelso, the latter making very full amends by preventing at least one goal after the interval for a few mistakes in the early part of the game. The Wanderers efforts became very spasmodic and Cassidy Paton, and Weir were in particularly run down long before the welcome whistle blast. Never did a team open so brightly and fade away so completely. Everton in fact ran the ‘'Trotters'' off their feet, and pulled up winners full of ‘'go''

Further evidence here of their attention to conditions, but they sustain their power and vigour is due to the equitable balance of the team, every department being so well and evenly equipped that there is no unduestarin on one point of the structure more than another. It is thus difficult to say to whom Everton owe the latest victory-to goalkeeper, backs half-backs or forwards, and so the plums are distributed fairly all round. Cain had comparatively little to do, but one or two of his saves were such brilliant achievements that great things may be confidently expected of him when necessary in the future. He has every reason to be satisfied with his debut as Everton's League goalkeeper. Adams was on the injured list, but was present, and would be glad to see Kelso so able once more to fill the position of right back. As indicated above, Kelso was shaky at the period when the Wanderers were in their most aggressive mood, but he soon got the measure of his opponents and during the last hour his play was great. Parry had to deal with the right wing of Tannihill and Andrews. Who had done so much in the Sunderland match and he came out with flying colours, notwithstanding that it was from his ineffective attempt at heading that gave Bolton their solitary goal. Parry beyond doubt was the best back on the field, though he had to compete for the distinction with Kelso, Jones, and Somerville his tackling kicking, and placing being uniformly good. Holt, was in great form in tackling especially during the most trying portion of the game, but Boyle was judicious all though whilst Stewart fairly crushed the tight wing in the second half. The forwards were in sweet harmony. Bell wrenched a leg about midway through the match, and was less prominent than usual, but he helped to make the combination of the Everton vanguard almost perfect in the second half, and whilst his colleagues sustained their reputation, without intending to be invidious it must be stated that McInnes increased his fame. The Wanderers were a moderate team by comparison. Had they ‘'rushed'' a goal or two at the start they would have won, perhaps by packing, for with Sutcliffe Jones, and Somerville given assistance, they might have withstood all the manourving of the Everton attack. But this plan of campaign failed utterly.


Liverpool on derby day 1894

Saturday, October 14 – 1894
The great football match
I am sure, Mr. Editor, that a great number of football enthusiasts in North Wales will be glad to read in your columns a report, by one of themselves, of the great football match played last Saturday at Goodison Park, Liverpool, between Everton and Liverpool. I know very well that by the time they read this, these enthusiasts will have read one, if not several accounts of this great historic meeting. I have done so myself, but I have seen no account that punts the match in quite the same light as I saw myself, and perhaps my version of it will be more in accordance with actual fact for several reasons, the chief being that I saw the game through absolutely uncoloured spectacles. I had no prepossession in favour of or against either team. I was not accustomed, by continual reporting of English matches, to view the play from any preconceived standpoint, and I was not distracted by the necessity of turning out copy for any of the sporting papers at breakneck speed. In addition, by the courtesy of Mr. Molyneaux, the Everton Club secretary, I was admitted into the Press Box, from which an absolutely uninterrupted view of the whole game was to be obtained.

Going to Goodison 1894

Of course, as everyone who takes an interest in football, even in North Wales, knows, the rivalry between the two sets of supporters of the teams concerned has been from the beginning of the most rabid character. As a result of this, the match was generally expected to be of the most vigorous, not to say violent, kind, and was looked forward to with extraordinary enthusiasm in Liverpool. An element of absolute mystery was imported into the consideration of the result of the match by widely differing performances of the two teams. On the other hand, Everton jad magnificently won each match it had up to Saturday last been engaged in, while their rivals had failed to notch a single victory. In the case of any other club such a state of things would have made a prediction in favour of a victory by Everton an almost absolute certainty, and in fact many thousands of people in Liverpool took that view of it, and backed the Evertonians at almost any price, to win. But these ignored the moral aspect of the question. Between no other club and Everton (not even excepting Sunderland) could such a feeling as that which exists between Everton and Liverpool be aroused. Judging from what I saw on Goodison Road ground on Saturday, I have not the slightest doubt that every man of the Liverpool team was strung up to such a state of determination to win, to beat Everton, as cannot again be aroused against any other team. Liverpool was practically playing for life, just as Bootle had done some years ago, with this tremendous difference, that behind Liverpool lies almost as strong’s directorate as that behind Everton, while the team itself, man for man, and as a whole, is miles ahead of any team Bootle ever had.

Nevertheless there was good ground for the almost universal feeling that Liverpool was fore-doomed to defeat. I saw them the previous Saturday, on their own ground, fail to beat Sheffield United after having had most of a good game, and at the conclusion of the match general voice was that it was 10 to 1 on Everton for the following Saturday.

Taking all these things into consideration, an enormous crowd was expected to witness the first struggle between the two teams, and this expectation was more than fulfilled. I never saw such a crowd. As early as one o’clock all streets, for miles around, leading to Goodison Park began to be thronged with men, women, and boys, all tramping to one place. As far away was the Pier Head every tramcar was loaded with excited intending spectators of the game, and these, together with a heterogeneous assemblage of omnibuses, wagonettes, drays, pony carts, hansom cabs, fourwheelers, and every imaginable description of wheeled vehicle, formed a huge possession stretching (to take one route alone) from the bottom of Scotland-road right up to the ground. Such was the throng of traffic that paying 3s 6d for a cab brought one no quicker to the scene of battle than threepence paid for a ride on a tramcar. The numerous entrances to Goodison Park were packed with throngs of eager applicants for admission, and the click of the turnstiles was for hours incessant. In the enclosure itself the spectacle was simply astounding. In a comparatively small space were packed (without, however, any approach to inconvenience, so ample is the accommodation of this magnificent playing ground) 44,000 people, the movement of whose faces as each individual turned momentarily this way or that, reminded of of the multitudinous ripples on the surface of the sea, while the hum, or rather roar, of their conversation was like the sound of the same sea restlessly dashing on its shores. It was a sight well worth coming a great distance to see, and will rarely be seen again.

On the entry of the Everton team first on the ground a huge cheer rang out from the dense mass, a cheer of equal vigor pealing forth as the Liverpool team shortly after made its appearance. Losing the toss Holt at once kicked off for Everton, and almost directly Bell on the left was seen sailing down the wing. A terrific rush by Hannah, however, effectually checked that movement, and the next moment Bell left the field limping painfully. As far as I could see the charge was a perfectly fair one, and that was clearly the opinion of the referee who, in spite of the perfectly savage hootings of the crowd, imposed to penalty.

As I took no notes of the progress of the match, I cannot do more than convey in a few words my impression of it. It was clear that every man of the Liverpool contingent was in deadly earnest, not merely to avert defeat, but to win out and out, and over and over again the undoubtedly magnificent defence of the home team was haplessly beaten by the magnificent snatches of passing, headlong rushes, or dashing runs of the Liverpool forwards. Kerr in particular shone against the burly Parry, who was frequently penalised for rough play. A free kick against Liverpool was sent, ten minutes from the start, right into the goal by Stewart, and McInnes very smartly headed it into the net out of McCann’s reach. Nothing disheartened the visitors rushed away from the kick off, and on four several occasions had the Everton goal entirely at their mercy, having absolutely beaten Holt, Stewart, Boyle, Parry and Adams, and having no one to beat but Cain. On each occasion, however, the goal was missed in the most disgraceful fashion, the ball being sent high over the bar when it seemed impossible to do anything else than put it into the net. Ross and Kerr were the chief blunderers in this respect. Everton never but once got such a chance, and they made a similar hash of it. The way the Liverpool men were going it was a wonder, and fairly astonished the vast crowd, and the Everton players. Half-time arrived with Everton a goal to nil to the good. It was expected that the second-half would see Everton run round the visitors, but for three-parts of the latter fairly rushed their opponents. I was amazed, and so I am sure was everybody else. The Liverpool halves completely smashed up the Everton combination, while the Liverpool forwards, magnificently led by Ross, and magnificently following his lead, pierced the home defence repeatedly with some of the prettiest and swiftest passing imaginable, while Adams and Parry was fairly pastered and bothered by Ross, Kerr and the other Liverpool forwards, particularly Bradshaw. On one occasion, the latter got past everyone with the ball in front of him. Cain ran out to meet him, and kicked at the ball. He missed it and there stood Bradshaw with an empty goal before him with the ball at his toes. He banged at it, and the next moment fell flat on the ground completely winded from the force of his collision with Cain, which happened at the moment Cain kicked at the ball, and the effect of his great run besides. The ball did not go into the net. Everton scored again twice. They were not such brilliant goals as one has seen, but they counted. During the last ten minutes of the match Everton rallied, and bombarded the Liverpool goal, but the defence was too desperate to be again pierced, and so it ended.

Taking the play all through I must express the opinion that Liverpool played a better game all through than did Everton. It was not Everton’s defence that saved them from a defeat but the miraculously bad shooting of the Liverpool forwards. This was no doubt due to the tremendous excitement they were labouring under, and no doubt the excitement had a lot of effect on the Everton men. Had Liverpool scored once, their chances of winning the match by defeating the champions on their own ground would have been five to one.

I met Jimmy Ross after the match, and he said, and evidently meant it, that his men will beat Everton when the return match is played at Anfield. I doubt it. Everton, despite what I have just written, is a better team than Liverpool, and I can hardly believe that at any following match the Anfielders will or can ever again develop such a tremendous amount of steam as they did last Saturday, and unless they do, they stand no chance against their mighty rivals.
(The North Wales Chronicle, 20-10-1894, by Mr. John Humprehys of Bangor)

Thanks to Kjell Hanssen, football historian




EVERTON 3 LIVERPOOL 0 (game 160)

October 15th 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The long-looked for meeting of these local rivals took place at Goodison Park on Saturday, and excited all the interested. A great game, from a scientific point of view, was not expected, but the public appetite was whetted by the fact that Everton and Liverpool were to oppose each other and the full strength for the first time in their history. The event recalled recollection of those keen game in which Everton and Bootle some six or seven years ago used to take part; but the parallel ends with keen local rivalry. The entertainment of Saturday surpassed in attractiveness every great that had occurred before, and Everton, who held the record of ;;gates'' for the League matches, which was that of £735 taken this season before last, when Preston North End were beaten so easily, have broken their own record, the money taken on Saturday being £1,026. Which would show that the attendance must have been something like 40,000 included in which number were several leading citizens. Whilst the vast crowds, were assembling a capital exhibition of football was given by picked teams of schoolboys of Liverpool and Nottingham, but the visitors were no match for the local lads, who won easily by three goals to nil, the representatives being as follows:- Liverpool: J.Wilson (Stanley-road), goal, J.McAdam and J.Crelly (Arnot-street), backs, R.Morgan, (St Lawrance), R.Campbell (Arnot-street) and H.Rankin (Stanley Road), half-backs, F.Glass (Arnott Street) T.Bale and A.Elston (Roscommon-street), W.Malepeacey (Queens-road) and W.Beard (St Margaret's Anfield), forwards, Nottingham, A.Spick, goal, McCribble, and W. Hickling, backs, F.Lowe, C.Spick, and H.Bea half-backs, J.Cooper, H.Walton, A Proctor, H Hill, and E. Wheatcroft, forwards.

A few minutes before time fixed for starting the teams appeared within the area, and met with a hearty reception. Many had been the rumours during the week of men that could not play owing to injuries or other causes, but Chadwick was the only conspicuous absentee. He having received injury to a leg at Bolton. The clubs were accordingly represented in their full strengths with the exception named, though Hartley ably filled the position of inside left. The sides faced prompt to time as follows; Everton: - Cain, goal, Parry and Adams (captain), backs, Stewart, Holt, and Boyle, half-backs, Latta, McInnes, Southworth, Hartley, and Bell, forwards. Liverpool: - McCann goal, Hannah (captain), and McLean, backs, McCartney, McQue, and McBride half-backs, Kerr, Ross, McVean, Bradshaw, and McQueen (h), forwards. Merrs Gunning (Liverpool) and Kelso (Everton) were linesmen, and Mr. J.Lewis (Of blackburn) officiated as referee. Everton lost the toss, and prompt to time Holt kicked off against the wind. He was soon penalised, and Kerr headed over the line. Two free kicks fell to Liverpool of no avail, and then Bell forced to leave the ground momentarily. In the meantime Kerr received from Ross, and made a running shot into the people. Parry was next hard pressed, but cleared, and kicked onto the stand. McLean was next in request, and put into touch four times in quick succession in grappintg with Latta and McInnes, and from pressure on the left Hannah gave hands near in. Stewart took the place, and McInnes headed a goal in ten minutes from the start. Everton closed on goal again, but good defence pulled Liverpool through. Bradshaw and H McQueen were next prominent. The former beat Holt, but the latter recovering got the ball away. McQueen, on Parry missing his kick, had the pass and the goal almost at his mercy, but shot across and just out the right wing men not getting up in time. Hatley was a shade too late in taking a centre a minute afterward, and the ball went over the goal line. Liverpool again broke away on the right, and the outlook was ominous on Parry making a faulty kick, but no shot was possible. McQue was not long before he had an aim, And went within a yard. Hartley replied by shooting too high, but the whistle had gone, so no point would have been possible had he been more accurate. Liverpool then attacked strongly. Both Parry and Stewart gave fouls, and a hot scrimmage ensued, when Cain and Parry checked keen shots. Going down on the right, some quick passing culminated in Bell driving in hard, and in McCann blocking the ball, McLean clearing grandly. The game was of the fastest speed and Liverpool were having quite as much of the play as Everton. Whilst the tactics of Adams and Parry were not so safe as those of McLean who put in especially effective work. In a while Bell shot just over the bar. A free kick against McCartney enabled Everton to keep within range, when Adams took advantage of some indecision on the part of Liverpool, and lobbed into the goalmouth, McCann saving. Holt had next to concede a corner in beating McQueen. McBride took the place, and McVean passing to the right Kerr sent over the bar. From kicks continued to be plentiful. Southworth was next going strongly, but Hannah checked him, and the heading work looked well for Everton, but the movement was gamely required. The home forwards improved in their combination, severely harassing the visitors defence. At this exciting period, McInnes hurt is leg, apparently a twist and had to leave the field. After a slight delay Hartley shot in a futile corner being awarded. Everton, and McLean in dispossessing, Latta gave a further corner to no avail. McQueen next had a clear field, but was too quick in his shot, going short. Leading up to half time, Boyle took fair aim, Hannah them robbed Bell by a fast run, and Kerr ran away, but Boyle interered smartly when near goal. Everton responded quickly and scrimmaged near the post. This was tided over, and on Boyle essaying a wild shot, the Whistle sounded for the interval, with Everton in command by a goal to nil, the rest of very even play. On resuming McLean at once broke up a raid. McInnes having now returned to the partnership of Latta. Ross was penalised for flooring Holt, and these two were immediately afterwards in collision. Then Ross seemed to be held by Holt and Stewart, but the referee did not interfere. Liverpool were the more aggressive just now, and forced a corner, badly placed by McQueen, and from the pressure McQue went wide with a shot. McVean attended to a good movement on the Everton right with effect, but Latta again returned, and crossed, Ross sent the ball back, to the centre, and Hartley shot straight and McCann saved splendidly. Liverpool held out during a renewed severe tussle, and rushed up the right, when kerr shot in an accurately that a goal seemed certain, but Cain pushed the ball straight to Ross, who lifted over the bar with a wretched shot. The Liverpool right wing again beat Parry, and another opening was at hand, but, to the relief of Evertonians, Bradshaw put just over the bar. The latter at the same time received an injury, but did not leave the field. After a short delay, Liverpool pressed up a business like way, shot by Kerr, however, not deceiving all their good work. The home team were more fortunate when their turn at attack soon came, as on Bell centering Latta sent into the net, after a hour of the game had arrived. Both sides improved in their play at this advanced time a grand movement finished off with a splendid shot by McQueen and a brilliant saved by Cain. McCann was also called upon, and he too saved splendidly. Stewart next fouled Kerr but the free kick was no help to Liverpool. Holt then beat McCartney, and the put come was in McInnes shooting just outside at short range. A free kick by Boyle enabled bell to penetrate goal, but off-side was awarded. A little later however, Everton attacked with the desired effect, on the right wing making ground, Bell breasted into the net. The home team were now in a safe position. The play continued to be spirited, and once McCartney was reprimanded for badly fouling Southworth. Everton had the best of exchanges, but could not score again, thus winning by 3 goals to nil.


October 15, 1894. The Evening Express

The League match at Goodison-Park on Saturday afternoon between Everton and Liverpool attracted a vaster crowd than was anticipated even by the most sanguine supporter of either clubs. The announcement in the “Sporting Express,” which was published before the receipts were actually known, turned out to be a perfectly correct. The amount of money taken at this “gates” was £1,026, and the attendance, including, of course, ticket-holders, and free admissions, exceeded 44,000. For League matches this furnishes the record in regard both to attendance and receipts. The previous best in the matter of money was credited to the famous match between Sunderland and Preston North End, but on that occasion the price of admission were raised, whereas on Saturday there was no increase in the charge, as for the attendance, nothing approaching it has ever been known in the history of the Football League.



October 15, 1894. The Evening Express.

The Charity Cup Tie

Everton's First Defeat

Today Everton visited West Bromwich for the purpose of taking part in the West Bromwich Friendly Society's Charity Cup match. Two years ago Everton were fortunate enough to win the cup after a hard contest by two goals to one, and as a date not to be arranged last year Everton have since retained possession of the cup. Unfortunately the importance of the match today was considerably lessened by the fact that the visitors were by no means strongly represented. The Albionites, however, had with one exception perhaps their best eleven. The cold and gloomy weather detracted from the attendance, and there would not be more than 2,000 persons present when the game commenced at three o'clock. The teams were as follows:- Everton; Williams, goal; Kelso and Arridge, backs; Boyle, Storrier, and Elliott, half-backs; Reay, Hartley, W. Williams, McMillan, and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion; Reader, goal; Williams and Crone, backs; T. Perry, C. Perry, and Taggart, half-backs; Bassett, McLeod, Hutchinson, Higgins, and Sim, forwards. Everton winning the toss played with a fair breeze behind them. The Albionites were the first to make headway and were becoming dangerous when Bassett was pulled up for off-side. The Everton right wing showed up prominently for a time, but the Albion defence was in good form. At last Everton forced a corner, which was placed behind, and then the home team, by its left wig, dashed off in splendid style, Williams running out and kicking away a hard shot from Sim. The Everton men then by fine combination attacked vigorously and penned the defenders in their own quarters for some time, without however, leading to the downfall of Reader's charge. Bassett tried some of his brilliant runs, and more than once they were within an ace of bring successful. A bad miskick on the part of Williams let in Milward, who ran the ball a little too far down and shot across the goalmouth. Before Reay or Hartley could get up Crone had cleared and the chance was lost. After this the Albionites made it hot for Everton for some time, and from hands within a few yards of the Albion all but scored, Williams fisting out a galliant style. The play opening out the game became very interesting. Bassett tried on his favouritie back kick, sometimes with success and anmatinues otherwise. On one occasion he tricked Elliott in this way, but the latter was quite equal to the occasion, and as neatly robbed McLeod. The pace was fast and furious, and while West Bromwich had somewhat the best of the exchanges Everton put in several fine efforts. Milward distinguished himself by a brilliant run down midfield, at the end of which he outwitted Williams and shot in, Reader, however, kicked away, and Crone following this up the Albionites made a determined onslaught on the Everton goal, during which Kelso and Arridge both put in good work. From a free kick the ball was placed well in the goalmouth and headed by McMillan just an inch or two over the cross bar –a case of very hard lines. The Albion forwards several times, worked their way down, but their shooting was by no means up to the mark. An exception, however, must be made in respect to Sim, who sent in a magnificent oblique shot, which was as brilliantly saved by Williams. The Albionites continued to put on the pressure, and the Everton goal had a miraculous escape when surrounded by its opponents. Williams fisted out splendidly twice in succession, and the anxiety was only relieved by hands against one of the Albion men. Everton then had a spirited dash away, and from clever work between Milward and McMillan, Williams sent in a low straight shot from a short range which Reader had difficulty in kicking away. Everton were now the aggressors, some good work being put in by the forwards, without however, any tangible result in the shape of the opening goal. Just before half-time T. Perry came to the aid of his forwards, and having a run on his own account took a flying shot, which just went over.

Half-time; West Bromwich Albion 0, Everton 0.

By the interval the attendance had considerably increased, and the even nature of the game added greatly to the interest. So far there had been little to chosen between the teams. On the restart Albions were the first to show up, but it was not long before Everton were attacking quite as vigorously. A fruitless corner fell to them, and then the home forwards made the presence felt. The ball was beautifully worked down, and though Kelso got in some timely kicks McLeod was conspicuous with a grand header, which again gave Williams an opportunity of proving that he was in quite his old form. The Everton men were certainly playing a capital game and hard pressed their opponents. One of the finest runs of the day now came from Reay and Hartley, the fact that no goal resulted in no way detracting from the brilliance of the performance. A corner fell to Everton, and from a bully the Albion goal had the narrowest of escapes. Reay finally placing the ball just over. The game was conducted at a furious pace, and in a moment Hutchinson had a shot in to Williams, who once again used his feet, after the style of such a master of the art as Reader. A couple of corners in quick succession to the Albion looked dangerous, but they came to nothing, and then each end was visited in turn.

Final Result West Bromwich Albion 1 goal, Everton Nil.


October 15 1884. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton pressed at first but afterwards the home team took up the pressing, missing easy chances. Hudson put through his own goal. Shortly afterwards Everton scored again. In the second half a good game was witnessed, Everton passing well while Padiham were somewhat unlucky. Result Everton Reserves 4 goals Pahihan 1 goal.




October 15 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Well it's a record-£1026; prodigious would Dominic Sampeson describe the proceeds. So will Dicky Sams and so will the people generally. The phenomenal sum and indicates beyond all cavil that, there must have been something near 40,000 spectators, and yet the attraction was purely local. Probably ninety-nine out of every hundred were Liverpoolians. If so, to what great extend the Association game of football has caught on in the dispriot within the space of about twelve years. The game in new to Liverpool compared with someother towns, and Mr. R.Wilson demonstrated the rapid growth when he informed a circle of friends that, as treasurer of Everton, he had the unique experience of having been the custodian of Everton's smallest ‘'gates'' (2s 1d) and of their largest. From a couple of shillings to a thousand pounds to a big jump to accomplish within a decade, but Liverpool people have accomplished it and can boast that they are the greatest supporters of the good old game of football, as reodelled and perfected into an up-to date science.

The game itself turned out to be a much better exhibition of play than one dared to hopeExcitement of course ran high but considering the dimensions of the crowd the behavior of the spectators was admirable. Fouls were numbers, certainly, but were of a light kind, with perhaps one exception, and were all through Mr.J.Lewis, the referee, had the men well in hand, and promptly and impartially exercised his authority. Everton won solidly, but there superior staying power carried their triumphantly, as it had done so consistently this season. for the first hour it was anybody's game. The fouls and corner kicks were about equally distributed, and so there can be no charge of undue roughness of claim of greater pressure of one team over another. Everton were in addition to their superior stamina, more compact in front of goal. Following up quickly and shooting more accurately than their opponents. For once in a way, the Everton defence was a bit unsteady, at least in the early period of the game. Parry was singularly unfortunate in some of his kicks, but invariably covered his mistakes. Adams was more sound, and had a lion's share in keeping the goal intact. Cain, however, had very little to do, but he made no mistake what at distant intervals called upon. The shot that troubled him most no doubt was one from Kerr in the second half, which went in so sharply that he had time to knock the ball straight from the goal, instead of outing it aside to more aft land. The half-backs were a strong feature of the Everton team. Holt was in the thick of the fray, scoring repeated successes. Boyle checked Bradshaw and McQueen in his usual quiet and effective way, feeding his forwards also with taste. Stewart had the most active wing to grapple with in Kerr and Ross, and he rendered his old club mate very impotent in the later stages of the game. The forwards were in good formation. Notwithstanding that Bell and Mcinnes had to retire for a time. Hartley made a good inside left in the place of Chadwick, and thus gave further proof of his usefulness, as a utility man. Either on the left, the right, or centre, and with McInnes Latta, Southworth, and Bell up to their standard, notwithstanding that the latter was a bit lame, the Everton forwards gave much satisfaction. Coming to Liverpool team, one and all are to be sincerely congratulated upon the very excellent display their gave. Again McCann fully demonstrated that he can complete with the best talent in the country in his own special line. That save of his from Hartley in the first half could hardly be excelled, and he was very unfortunate in having a point scored against him. by one of his own side. Indeed he is in no way blamable for having the greatest number of goals scored against him in the League clubs. Hannah and McLean came out of a most trying ordeal in brilliant style, and the generally steady and effective work of the two is a crushing reply to their detractors, who would have it that both are about done up and not class enough for premier football. McLean's heading in the goalmouth was a marked feature of his work, and by keeping his position in better style he came out very strongly against Latta and McInne. McCarthy, McQue, and McBride after the first goal was scored, settled down in earnest fashion and delighted almost everyone with their telling work against such a magnificent quintets as that possessed by the Everton club. McBride is rapidly coming back to form as was shown by his neat touches and timely saves, and without a doubt he is the best man to play in front of.




October 16, 1894. The Birmingham Daily Post

West Bromwich Albion v Everton

These teams met in the above competition at West Bromwich yesterday afternoon in the presence of about 3,000 spectators. The Albion played a very good team, whilst Everton were minus several players, Everton won the toss, and the Albion started the ball down hill. The home team were the first to attack, and a foul close in the visiting's' goal yielded then no advantage. The visitors rushed away, but W. Williams relieved the pressure, whilst a little later Boyle shot outside. The Albion tried to get away, but the visitor's half –backs impeded their progress. The home team again attacked, but Kelso kicked away. The ball was carried to the other end, where Crone was forced to concede a corner, which, however, came to nothing. A fine shot from the Albion's left was saved by R. Williams at the expense of a corner, and then Everton rushing away caused the home defence some trouble. The Albion attacked strongly, and Bassett when in a good position was ruled off-side, whilst a minute later the same played skimmed the upright. W. Williams by a miskick let in the visitors' forwards, but Milward shot outside. A foul in the mouth of the visitors' goal fell to the Albion, but after a slight scrimmage the ball was got safely away. The play was for a time confined to midfield, and then a rush by the visitors' forwards was cleverly stopped by W. Williams. The Albion now pressed, and R. Williams was forced to handle a shot from Higgins. A foul was given against Bassett in midfield, but R. Williams relieved. Crone was penalised for pushing, and the ball was just headed over the crossbar. The Albion were now having the best of matters, and a shot from Slimm caused R. Williams some difficulty in saving. C. Perry struck the visitors' upright, and an exciting scrimmage, resulted, the ball eventually being sent over the crossbar. A fine shot from the Albion left went across the visitors' goal, but there was no one there to meet it, and the ball passed outside. At half-time no goals had been scored. On changing ends, the Albion were the first to get away, but Arridge relieved, and the ball was transferred to the Albion, where Reader was called upon to save. The visitors again made a raid on the Albion citadel, but Taggart got the ball safely away. The home team gained a corner which T. Perry kicked outside. A foul fell to the visitors in front of the home goal, but after a slight scrimmage the pressure was relieved. The Albion dashed away, and McLeod beat R. Williams, but the point was disallowed on the ground of offside. A fierce scrimmage followed in the mouth of the home goal, but the ball was ultimately sent over the crossbar. The play for a time now became of an even character, both teams having hard lines in not scoring. At this point Bassett was injured, and had to leave the field for a while. The Albion dashed away, and during a scrimmage C. Perry scored their first point. Another hot scuffle in front of the visitors' goal nearly resulted in its downfall. At the other end Everton had a try, but failed to break through. Towards the close Everton tried hard to equalise, but failed, and the game resulted in a victory for the Albion by 1 goal to 0. The following were the teams:- Albion:- Goal, Reader; Backs W. Williams and Crone,; half-backs, T. Perry, C. Perry, and Taggart; forwards, Bassett, McLeod, Hutchinson, Higgins, and Slimm. Everton; Goal, R. Williams; backs, Kelso and Arridge, backs; half-backs; Boyle, Storrier, and Elliott, half-backs; Hartley, Reay, Williams, McMillian, and Milward –last night the cup was presented to the Albion team at the Star and Garter Hotel, West Bromwich.




October 16 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Charity Cup Final at West Bromwich, yesterday, attendance of 2,000. Combination players largely represented Everton. Play opened with some pretty exchanges, several corners fully to both sides, but no goals was obtained in the first half. On changing end, Everton pressed, but the Albion retaliated with some excellent runs, from one of which, C.Parry scored the only goal of the match, West Bromwich thus winning by a goal to nil. Teams West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Williams, and Crone backs, Perrt (t), Perry (c), and Taggart Bassett, McLeod, Hutchinson, Higgins, and SlIM, forwards. Everton: - Williams (rs, goal, Williams (R), and Kelso (r),, backs, Arridges, Boyle and Storrier (d), half-backs, Ellliott (j), Reay (h), Hartley (a), Williams (w), McMillan (j), and Milward (a), forwards.



October 22 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The first meeting of these teams took place at Ewood Park, Blackburn on Saturday. Rain fell heavily from three o'clock for about half an hour, but people turned up in a strong numbers, and by the time the kick off was effected there would be about 16,000 present. The sides were composed of the following :- Everton: - Cain goal, Adams (captain), and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart half-backs, Latta, Hartley, Southworth, Chadwick and Bell forwards. Rovers: - Ogilvie, goal, Brandon, and Murray backs Forrest, Anderson, and Cleghorn half-backs, Haydock Whitehead, Sturat, Hall, and Chippendale, forwards. Mr.Dale of Manchester was referee. Compared with the team that beat the Bolton Wanderers a week ago, there was but one change in the Rovers eleven Forrest superseding Dewar whilst Everton also made one alteration. Hartley taking the place of McInnes who was feeling the effects of his injury of the previous Saturday. The Rovers won the toss, and attacked Stuart putting over the bar from Chippendale's centre. Parry next cleared, and then Adams. Two free kicks fell to the home team, from one of which Cain made a smart save, but no clearance came, and from a throw in, Hall opened the scoring about a few minutes of the start. Everton at once rallied and attacked hotly. Chadwick essayed two grand shots, and Hartley respectively from one of which Ogilvie saved well. Adams broke up a rush, and Everton returned to goal, but some incertain kicking by the half-backs let in the Rovers again when Haydock went wide at long range. The grass having been rendered slippery firm footing with diffcult, but the ball travelled up and down with some degree of impartiality. Admits excitement Cain saved brilliantly with his feet from the right wing, and when they returned to got on the left the Rovers were not far off scoring. A corner placed behind by Chadwick was the moderate success that attended Everton a minute later. Southworth was also at fault in shooting prematurely the ball, on the centre forward being challenged, rolling tamely to the custodian. There was no mistaking the fact that the Rovers were now playing the stronger game. They were firmer on their feet quickly in following up, and shooting keener and with more precision. Everton were as often within shooting distance perhaps, but seemed to lack power in their kicking. Play was at neutral quarters for a short time. Then Murray ran across, and intercepted Latta. The Rover next drove the ball just wide of the mark, but were not to be yet dislodged, and Cain came to the rescue with a fine save. Holt in reply, put to the left wing, when Bell being hampered by Brandon gave to Chadwick, who centred. Hartley took up the movement, shot at goal, and scored the ball glancing of Murray's head just as it was passing into the net. The score were thus on equality as the result of 27 minutes play. For some time following the game was carried on in the open, the respective backs and half-backs holding the attacking parties at bay until Parry was compelled to concede a corner, from which Hall put aside. A free kick to the Rovers also threatened danger to Everton, but once more the shot went harmlessly over the line. Parry stopped Stuart in a strong run, and then grappled with the right wing, but Haydock would not be denied and shot over the bar. From the goal kick Southworth was in evidence, and gave to Hartley who drove in hard, Ogilvie saving near a post. The Rovers went back on the right and on Adams robbing Hall the interval came with the score a goal each. A nice bit of passing by the Everton forwards just previously of an abortive kind having been much admired finished off by Latta testing Ogilvie. On resuming Latta at once ran stoutly until Murray checked him. A free kick fell to Everton as the equal, and then a corner from which Latta headed in and Murray headed out. Surviving this narrow shave the Rovers went away on the left. Here Adams failed in judgement in back heeling. He seemed to have time to clear, but put to Hall, who centred, and Haydock beat Cain. Now leading again, the Rovers were roused to greater efforts, and soon from one of several raids, Whitehead looked like scoring, but got too much under the ball which flew over the bar. A free kick came next, and from this Anderson headed wide. Latta, when relief came, found his way towards the corner. Here he gave to Hartley who struck the end netting. Whitehead following by running through and shooting accurately. Cain stopped the ball when on his knees, and managed to scoop it on one side, escape from danger only coming upon the goal line being crossed. Cain was again called upon and proved to be safe. Everton could not sustain pressure. They made many stern attempts, but encountered solid defence. After the ball had been shot narrowly outside Cain's charge, Everton attacked severally forcing a corner, and shooting grandly but it was no use. Bell about this time was lamed, though not such as to cause his retirement. Coming back again, Everton were more fortunate, as on Latta running clear and centering from near the corner, the ball was gathered by Chadwick, who scored 20 minutes from the finish. Everton were quickly on the attack once more, when Chadwick drove in magnificently at long range. It took Ogilvie somewhat by surprise but he was just in time to driver the shot, as he did by Latta. A little later however, Latta was penalised for fouling Cleghorn, and a corner being conceded, the Rovers took the lead a third time in the match. There were still ten minutes to play the Rovers were seen in fine combination, and gave the Everton defence a lot of work, and once Hall hit the bar; the ball bounced into play, Cain not knowing where it had fallen, but he recovered and saved. Then Whitehead scored with a flying kick of splendid quality. This latest brilliant and successful stroke clinched the argument in favour of the Rovers, but Everton had not yet abandoned hope. They were just as energetic at their opponents. The play continued to be most sprinted to the end. In the last minute Chadwick again scored with a beautiful shot, and a dashing game terminated in a well merited win for the Rovers of 4 goals to 3.



October 22 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before 4,000 spectators. Everton won the toss, and Lang kicked off for Blackburn. Shortly after Murray scored for Everton. Lang equalised and soon Sorley scored again for Blackburn, who led at the interval by two goals to one. In the second half however, did all the scoring and emerged winners by 3 goals to 2. Everton team: - Cook, goal, Killup, and Arridge, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Elliott half-back Reay, Murray, Geary, McMillan, and Handford, forwards.

Played 7, won 6, lost 0, draw 1 for 39, against 9, points 13



October 22 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton have at length met their superiors-at least for the nonce-and were fairly and squarely beaten at Blackburn Rovers, with the somewhat equal score of four goals to three. Looked at from a scoring aspect it would appear to have been a level combat, but those who saw the keen, fast, honestly conducted play know differently. The Rovers were always master of the situation-they never shaped like a losing team-and but for some exquisite, plucky goalkeeping on the part of Cain, Everton first bitter draught must have been even more nauseous. The Rovers on Saturday, had the advantage in every department except in goalkeeping, and herein there was not much superiority of one custodian over another. Ogilvie was ever cool and confident, but the palm must be given to Cain, because he had more shots, and as a rule of better quality, to attend to than he vis-à-vis. Parry worked hard all though, and made innumerable daring and invariable clearances. Stewart, who was handicapped with a muscle contraction in the leg, was not so uniformly successful in coping with the wingmen opposed to him, and as Haydock and Whitehead were in the feather and in their most aggressive mood, the resource of Parry were taxed to the utmost and never did he answer to the calls upon him with better and clearer emphasis. Had he not been in the pink of condition he could not have been held out to stoutly. He always inspired confidence in its tackling. He may have been invariably judicious in placing the ball to his men, but he cleared his lines well and without hesitancy. Of Adams the tribute of praise is tempered with the blame. He did somewhat things, also some faulty ones. He was not steady and cool, and he gave the game an adverse turn for Everton when, directly after the interval, with the score then even, he back heeled the ball, which went to an opponent who promptly centred, and led up to a goal. Back kicking looks smart, bit it is a blind kick for all that, and a thus risky when at shooting range. Had the ball been driven into touch or over the goal line, or even up the field-there seemed to be time for either alternative-that material goal might not have been gained. There were other occasions when Adams was erratic. He had certainly an exacting couple to face in Chippendale and Hall with assistance from Stuart the centre forward, and may thus have been excited. This must surely have been the case when he made a jump at an antagonist near the finish. For this he was reprimanded, and a penalty kick would have been conceded the Rovers had the incident taken place inside the twelve yards' mark instead of a foot or so outside the line. It was truly an unlucky day for Adams, but it must be said of him that he was ever striving his utmost to retrieve the lost ground for his side. Of the half, backs, they were not so effective as usual, and active as Holt was in the middle he could not prevent Stuart playing perhaps, his finest game for the Rovers. Boyle prove the most serviceable of the three, but he had too often to acknowledge defeat by Chippendale in particular. The Everton forwards were the more disappointing. It was only now and again they could get into anything like their normal swing, and that this was the case is but an eloquent testimony on the grand tactics of the Rover; s half-backs line. They were a mighty trio. Forrest filled Dewar's place admirably, and whilst rendering Bell's less active than usual, fed Whitehead and Haydock with accuracy. Cleghorn was fearless on the other wing, but he met his match, and more so frequently in Latta and Hartley; but to Anderson are the Rovers indebted for their triumph more that to say individual. His function was to shadow Southworth and by this means effectively to crush the famed combination of the Everton vanguard. In this mission he succeeded. It is a long time since Southworth shone so dimly, and that it was so must have been very annoying to him for a an ex-Rover he would be naturally desirous to show that he was still the ideal centre forward the Blackburnians once thought him to be. But Anderson struck to him like a Leech. Time after time the ball was put to Southworth, but almost without exception Anderson had dispossessed him ere he had covered some half dozen yards. It thus came about that Everton lacked solidity when nearing goal, and their shooting was not so frequent as usual. When they did evade the half-backs they had other formidable barricades to surmount in Brandon and Murray, who made two superb backs, as steady as rocks tackling and kicking in a manner that could only be admired even by those whose sympathies ran with Everton. And behind all stood Ogilvie-active watchful, decisive, and nerveful. On the day's play the Rovers were giants and, unless it was with them a mere fitful display, they must before long be in the more forward position in the League. They have, in beating Everton, achieved that which Sheffield Wednesday, Smallheath, Stoke, Notts Forest West Bromwich Albion, Bolton Wanderers, and Liverpool, in turn, have failed to do; and whatever further success awaits the Rovers, they will no doubt look back with the greater pride to their being enabled to administer the first check to the Everton League team during the current season. To hark back to the Everton forwards. As the game advanced there was necessarily more individualism, since cohesion was so difficult to attain, or rather sustain, and speaking of individuals, the place of honour is accorded Chadwick who worked with vigour at all times, and shot the more frequently of the forwards, with splendid precision. Bell limped during the second half, and could not render the assistance he would have wished. Latta came out well, although suffering from a cold, his centre being nicely timed as a rule, and Hartley was dashing, skilful, and unselfish, next Saturday Sunderland are at Goodison Park, and to beat the Wearsiders will compel training and a change or two, perhaps in the team.



October 22, 1894. The Birmingham Daily Post

Everton have at last been vanquished. Their successful career has received a check, but to their credit it must be said that it was only after a most desperate struggle that they were beaten. To the Blackburn Rovers belonged the honour of having been the first to overthrow the great Liverpool eleven in a League contest this season, and doubtless by so doing the Rovers have earned the most hearty thanks from Sunderland, whose position has been thereby strengthened. Everton's brilliant commencement of the League competition this season will not readily be forgotten by the followers of football. In 1890, when they won the League championship after a neck-and-neck race with Preston North End, they made a very similar beginning. After successively defeating West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Bolton Wanderers, Accrington, and Derby County, three of the five being out matches, they came to Perry Barr and played Aston Villa to a draw. Bolton Wanderers were next met and defeated, but then came the brilliant and memorable victory of the West Bromwich Albion, who visited the Everton eleven and conquered them by three goals to two. Comparing the performances of 1890, and this season, one is inclined to think that the first was the greater, for the clubs that were than overthrown were more formidable opponents than have yet been met. Many a difficult fight yet lies between Everton and the championship, and, judging by the form Small Heath are showing at home, the match on Saturday week will by no means be a walk over the visitors. They will have to play their best if they are to defeat Small Heath at Coventry Road. If anyone feels inclined to doubt this assertion, we refer him to the Aston Villa. At the present time Everton and Sunderland have each lost a game, and the contest between the two teams next week will be watched with no little interest by footballers in every part of the kingdom. The match takes place at Goodison Park, so that the advantage, apparently, lies with Everton; but Mr. Watson's team have always been good out-players, and it is possible that they may secure a victory. Still, the chances are certainly in Everton's favour.



October 22, 1894. The Birmingham Daily Post

It is stated that if Liverpool had beaten Everton each player would have received £5 –It is said that Everton have been after another centre forward (Farrall, of Dresden United). Nut he preferred to stay at home, and has signed for Stoke.




October 23, 1894. The Isle of Man Times.

On Thursday next all the Association on the Island have scratched their fixtures, in order that their players may be available to play against the Everton combination which the Douglas A.F.C. are bringing to the island next Thursday. The match will take place at belle Vue, and we hope it will be well attended. The receipts, after all expenses are paid, are paid, are to go in aid of Noble's Hospital. The following is the team which Douglas have placed: - R. Collister, Killey, Huxley, J. Hannah (Peel), Skinner, PJ> Wade, (Gymnasium), Cannell, Halsall (Ramsey), B. Edwards, Newsome, Nuttall. Everton will be accompanied by few internationals who will take their places in the team on Thursday. Mr. Neuby is the referee.


October 23, 1894. The Isle of the Man Times.

The managers of the Isle of Man and Manx Northern Railways have arranged that there shall be a great reduction in fares to Douglas by all trains on Thursday, on the occasion of the football match between Everton and Isle of Man teams, to be played at Belle Vue in the afternoon.


October 25, 1894. The Evening Express.

(Special Telegram).

The association match between the Everton and Isle of Man teams was played at Belle Vue, near Douglas, this afternoon. The weather was wrenched. There was a boisterous wind, and the rain came down in torrents, as it had been doing all the day. The ground consequently was covered with ponds. Thursday is a half-day holiday with visitors, and there would, no doubt have been many thousands of spectators, if the weather had been at all favourable, but as it was there were only a few hundred onlookers. The teams were composed as follows; Everton-Goal; Cook; backs, Arridge, and Milward; Half-backs; Walker, Storrier, and Elliott; forwards, Reay, Hartley, Geary, McMillian, and Handford. Isle of Man.- Goal, Collister; backs; Huxley, and Gestor; half-backs; Hannah, Skinner, and Killry; Nuttall, Newsome, Edwards, Anchor, and Halsall. Everton won the toss, and the Isle of Man kicked off, and Everton immediately began to press, scoring their first goal in a few minutes after the game opened. In the course of another few minutes Everton scored another goal. Final result; Everton, 12 goals; Isle of Man, nil.



October 26 1894. The Liverpool Courier

The Association match between the Everton and the Isle of man teams played at Belle vue, near Douglas yesterday afternoon. The weather was wretched. There was a boisterous wind, and the rain came down in torreule, as it had been doing all the day. The ground course quently was covered with ponds. Thursday is a half-day holiday with the visitors and there would, no doubt have been many thousands of spectator, if the weather would been at all favorable, but as it was there were only a few hundreds onlookers. The teams were composed as the following, Everton Cook,goal, Arridge, and Milward, backs, Walker, Storrier, and Elliott, half-backs Reay, Hartley, Geary, McMillan, and Handford, forward. Isle of Man: - Collister, goal Haxley, and Cleater, backs Hannah, Skinner, and Kilsy, half-backs, Nuttall, Newsome, Edwards, Anchur, and Halsall. Forwards .

Everton, won the boss, and the isle of Man kick off and Everton immediately began to press, scoring the first goal in a few minutes after the game opened, in a couple of another few minutes Everton scored another goal and when half-time was called at about half-past three (the time of the game being shortened on account of the weather) Everton had scored six goals, whilst the Manx team had not had even a look in. in the second half Douglas had the wind in their favour, but although they made several efforts, Everton kept pressing all the time, with the result that at the close of the game, the score stood Everton 12 goals, Isle of Man nil. Mr. Newby president of the Isle of Man Association executive,, acted as referee. Goal scores. Reay (1-0), McMillan (2-0), Elliott (3-0), Storrier (4-0), Geary (5-0), Stoorier (6-0), Geary (7-0), McMillan (8-0) Geary (9-0), Murray (10-0), Storrier (11-0), McMillan (12-0).


October 27, 1894. The Isle of Man Times.

Re. The Everton, and Isle of man match on Thursday (writes Mona-Man”), let me have a say, when Mona a Douglas (Rugby) have a great risk and expense, secured the favour of a visit from such first class clubs as Swinton, Warrington, Hanslet, &c., it was usually been the case that the home club has lost by only a respectable minority –Mona lost the Warrington match only by two points. There is always a smug pharisacial rejoicing in the camps of the children of the Association game over the way if the local Rugby men get “bashed” by the visitors. They murmur nasty things about “have to get English clubs to show'em how,” &c. Perhaps this will shut itself after the miserable exhibition made by a fairly representative team of Manx Association players against what is only a third team of a first-class English club! Yes, a third team. Not even the well-known Lancashire Combination team, and not one man from the League team. Four were played-out ex-internationals! But what a showing up they gave the locals. Evidently the Association game in the Isle of Man is not going to smash all before it. They boast about how much better a game they play then we do, and how much more scientifically they play it; but how does their score against Everton third team compare with Mona's against Warrington's very best team –a team holding the third position in the Lancashire club championship, and to be counted amongst the first half-dozen in the kingdom or in the world? What hope have Manx Associations of ever turning out players like E. Forrest captain of the unbeaten Irish champions of last year, J. Watson captain of Birkenhead Wanderers. A Paul of Swinton and Salford, the two Penkeths, Dickson, and many other turned out by Manx Rugby football, fit to take a place in any team in the world? One of the biggest men in the Rugby Union said of the Mona crew of last year that if he had them across the water and under his care for a few weeks, he would make a second Newport of them”! Were I at liberty to name the speaker, everyone would know that this was indeed high praise, as he is one of the most popular referee's for first class English matches, having frequently referred in internationals. There is not much sign of an association club on the Island coming up to such a standard anyhow.

Everton v. Isle of Man.

This match, which has been looked forward to with great interest, took place on Thursday, at the Belle Vue. Torrents of rain had fallen since Tuesday, and the ground was about two feet deep in water in many parts of the field. The teams lines out in torrent of rain as follows: - Everton: - Cook, goal; Arridge, (Welsh international), and Williams (English international), backs; Walker, Storrier, and Elliott, half-backs; Reay, McMillian, Geary, Murray, and Handford, forwards. Isle of Man: - R. Collister (Douglas), goal; Killey (Douglas) and Huxley (Douglas), backs; Anchor (Douglas), Skinner, (Douglas), and Hannah (Peel), half-backs; Halsall (Ramsley), McMillan (Douglas), Edwards (Douglas), Newsome (Douglas), and Nuttall (Douglas), forwards. Everton won the toss, and elected to play with the wind and the rain on their backs. Huxley kick-off, and Everton set to work and at once took possession of the ball, and play was confined to the Isle of Man territory. Within a few minutes a goal was scored by McMillian for Everton. After restarting, play was still kep in the Isle of Man portion, and goal after goal was scored in quick succession by Reay, Elliott, Storrier (2), and Geary. When halt-time arrived the score was Everton six goals; Isle of Man nil, it being so wet, the players started off straight away without stopping the play. Geary kick-off, and after a few minutes the Everton team kept pressing upon the home goal, and R. Collister, the home goalkeeper, was kept busy with trying to stop the continuous shot of the Everton forwards into the net. The first goal scored was by Geary, after which the following scored; - McMilliam, Geary, Murray, Storrier, and McMillian, when time arrived the scored stood: Everton 12 goals, Isle of Man nil. Mr. Newby officiated as referee, and Mr. Howard (Everton), and C. Christian (Gymnasum) acted as touch judges.


For the home team, Halsall (Ramsley), was the pick of the forwards, and did his utmost for the team of the backs, Hannah (Peel), and Huxley (Douglas), played a rattling game. The rest of the back division was very poor represented. The forwards were very fair, but could have been greatly improved upon by the other players from other clubs. For Everton, Storrier, Murray, Elliott and Reay showed up conspicuous. As for Geary, when any difficult work appeared, which was very seldom, he was al there, and showed the spectators, how he could be depended upon when wanted. One noticeable feature in connection with the Everton team was the grand combination they played, hardly a word being spoken, and each man keeping his position, waiting for his pass, each one knowing the other's position' while the Douglas (with one exception) looked as if they did not seem to know where they were playing. An amusing event in the game was that the Everton goalkeeper had his umbrella up during the whole of the game and when play was within fifteen yards of the goal he did not put it down. The full backs kept running back for a little shelter intervals. I have heard of a novel challenge in connection with the selection of the insular team to complete with the Toffetites. A well known Association referee challenged another that he would stake a certain sum of money that he would select a team from the insular Association clubs which would almost annihilate that chosen to do battle with the Everton's on Thursday. I since understand that the challenge has been accepted. It is to be hoped that the event will come off; for whatever way goes the fortune of the day, one of the Douglas charities will benefit thereby.




October 29 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the famous if somewhat newly established Sunderland team to any ground is always a ‘'blue riband'' event, and especially was this the case on Saturday, when they put in their annual appearance in connection with the League journey at Goodison Park. Interesting as the contest would have been under ordinary circumstances, it proved even more momentous from the fact that Everton and Sunderland were leaders in the campaign with the best and equal record in having lost, but one match each-that is, each had scored the highest possible number of points except two for the matches played. A victory one way for the other would accordingly perhaps have a material influence in ultimately deciding the League championship. The respective clubs, well aware of this, were determined to place their teams in the field in the best conditions. Training of a special kind was resorted to in each instance, but neither club was in command of the eleven players considered to be the most representative, as whilst Gow was absent from the Sunderland side. Bell in particular had to stand out of the Team. Though these changes were necessary it does not follow that the play was weakened, for other good men were founded in McNeill and Milward. Unfortunately the weather though fair during the afternoon, was on a threatening character whilst the heavy rain of the previous day and forenoon had a tendency to make the ground heavy going. It was intended to play a match between the Schoolboys of Liverpool and Sheffield as a prelude, but in order that the turf should be preserved as much as possible, this part of the programme was reluctantly though wisely abandoned by the Everton directors. As a matter of fact, however, the ground was in splendid condition, under the circumstances, which speaks well for the system of drainage adopted. What wind there was Everton had the advantage of during the first half and prompt to time the following teams opened the battle. Everton: - Cain goal, Kelso, and Parry backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta McInnes, Southworth, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, Meecham and McNeill backs Wilson, Mcreadie, and Johnson, half-backs, Gillespie, Miller, Campbell, Hyslop, and Hannah, Forwards. The commencement was a starting one for Everton, as Sunderland swooped down on goal without ceremony, just as the Rovers had done the week previously. Gillespie was in thick of the fray. He forced a corner, then shot against the framework, and another corner being conceded, Miller turned it to account and scored two minutes from the kick off somewhat easily. With such a brilliant opening by the men from the Wearside, the hopes of many teams would have been thus prematurely crushed, but not so with Everton. To them it acted as a spur, and they at once infused great energy into their play, and made the situration warm, indeed for Doig; but who, to use a paradox, stopped two shots which deserved to score very coolly. He had to give a corner, however, and Latta took the place with judgement, but the defence was too solid. Again Everton went strongly on the left wing, but could not keep the ball out of touch, so Wilson gave a specimce of his great abilities as a throw in. he landed dangerous neat goal, but there Everton took possession, and renewed pressure, first on the left and then on the right, but the finishes were faulty, owing no doubt to the close attention. McCreadie the old Glasgow Rangers, paid to Southworth. Chadwick exacted another futile corner, and altogether Everton were having the best of the exchanges so far as open play was concerned, but Sunderland were the most bothering at close quarters. The game was carried on at a terrific pace, and on pretty equal lines, until suppressed excitement Miller shot in grandily, and Cain saved when on his knees. At the other end upon Latta assisted by Mcinnes making ground, the prospect of Everton equalising improved, and a fine shot was the actual but Meehan met the ball. Then Latta beat Doig but the whistle sounded for an infringement whilst the ball was in the air, and no goal was allowed. Sunderland escaped once or twice at this period, without being permitted to make too close acquaintance with the Everton goalkeeper; but a little later, on the right wing moving strongly, the ball bouncing off Parry, s legs and went to Miller, who, with a clear field, tan in and scored a second goal. Cain making a smart attempt, but really having no chance of staving of disaster. This incident occurred ten minutes off the interval, and before half-time both sides had chances of augmenting the scoring, but shot moderately. On charging ends, Sunderland had, in turn the help of the wind, and appearances to Everton were not at all bright of saving this match, being as they were in a minority of two goals. Indeed the first significant achievement after the restart was in Gillespie banging into the net, but from an off side position. McCreadie then became even more conspicuous for clever tactics, and he thus enabled his side to renew the attack, but here Kelso and Parry prevailed Cain, being in requisition. There had not been much enthusiasm displayed by the Everton spectators for some time, but it came at last, when the home team went ‘'solid'' for goal. This they could not capture, however, but how well they bid for tangible reward is demonstrated in the fact that three or four corners were given them before they could be beaten off. Miller and Gillespie next made a good move, but Parry and Stewart rendering help, the Everton forwards were soon again within range, pluckily and effectively tackled them. Milward Chadwick, and Southworth contributed a nice bit of combination, the movement being finished off by McInnes shooting accurately and in Doig running out and clearing. Once more Everton returned but the backs this time repelled, and eyes were turned to the opposite end, where Campbell passed to Hannah whose shot almost grazed the near post. Sunderland for a long time afterwards became particularly aggressive in the slackening pace, and were more frequent in their shots than at any other period of the match. Everton seemed to be in a hopeless situation. It was now that the defence of Everton proved very firms, and held out manfully. A run on the left raised the spirits of the partisan, especially upon Milward, from Chadwick's pass shooting splendid across the face of the goal, and narrowly missing the mark. In reply to this abortive effort, Hyslop had two characteristically keen shots, but failed with each, whilst Campbell was again dangerous near with a low shot. McNell robbed the Everton right wing men when closing in upon goal a little later on, but did not clear, and Latta drove across. To his dismay the ball went too far for his colleagues to reach it. The play by means of these fluctuations regained its vitality and then Everton pulled themselves together for a last mighty if seemingly impossible effort to improve their staming. Going away in formation, they pitched play in front of goal, and, after the ball had been worked by several, it was sent to McInnes, who found the long looked for flaw in Doig's defence. Then the cheers were forth. There were yet five minutes to go. Sunderland kicked out and strengthened their defence, but in these tactics they erred, for Everton were not in consequence drawn off, and returned the goal in an irresistible mass. Southworth was put in possession, and shot magnificently, with a crowd of opponents upon him, but he had the misfortune to hit the post. A corner ensued and then a free kick yards from goal. Southworth took this, and the ball went to Boyle, who headed in from behind the scrimmage and Equalised, amidst deafening cheers, all the more hearty, as the achievement a few minutes earlier seemed improbable for the extreme. Thus a memorable contest ended in a draw of 2 goals each.



October 29 1894. The Liverpool Mercury

‘‘Its never too late to mend'' even in football, that is, if a drastic reform can be effected within the limited source of 90 minutes. The truth of this good old maximum was demonstrated by Everton on Saturday in a manner that was as sntional as it was convincing. In their great and fateful match with Sunderland, in the presence of a company whose gate payments amounted to £690, towards which sum 1,500 excursionists from Wearside contributed. Everton had seemed likely to be beaten by a least two goals five minutes from the end. No one expected the result to be other than a win for Sunderland, and Hundreds who though the game was ‘'all up'' left the ground. These will regret their impatience. They missed one of the best finishes never given to a game, in which an apparently inevitable rout was checked and transferred as, though by magic into a drawn. It was not flucky bought about, and the grand effort is thus the more worthy. Though Sunderland were perhaps, the most perfect team of the two on Saturday, and deserved to be leading slightly, them were several occasions when Everton attacked skillfully and determinedly, but lacked the agency of average kick.

Everton considering that they were on their own ground and had the advantage of training in Hoylake, it cannot be said that they gave general satisfaction, but no one stands out for special blame, Cain has kept goal better, but yet did many clever things Parry was not to success, he was at Edwood. Still he had the most powerful wing to cope with in Miller and Gillespie and rendered splendid service to his club. He may be blamed for the second goal, but the ball seemed to bounce off his leg accidentally towards Miller, who thus had an unexpected opening and utilized it. Kelso was not so fully employed, but what he did was done well, and he is evidently as reliable as ever in the position he has achieved so much distinction during the past. Of the half-backs Holt dropped in for exacting calls, and he must have come out of the ordeal with much success, for Campbell was in one of the most active moods, and what that means those who fellow the doings of Sunderland week by week known well. Stewart struck gamely to strong men, and if Parry was so frequently in requisition it was due rather to the artful passing of Campbell to his right flank than to the lack of tackling power by Stewart. Boyle went on all through in his familiar judicious undemonstrative way, invariably finishing with a well-judged strategic stroke. Of the forwards the verdict is a mixed one. There were some tactics, which excite blame; there were others more numerous then which merit unqualified praise. The open fieldwork was grand, but there was slowness not always, but still slowness in shooting. Southworth was guarded so tightly, as he has been in the two last matches by McCreadie and Anderson, it is necessary for his supports to strike off for themselves, and so draw the watchfulness off his centre man. With this exception, the forwards did splendidly, and Milward must be congratulated for the dash and cohesion he displayed in his old place in partnership with Chadwick.