December 1895

EVERTON 2 BURNLEY 1 (game 198)

December 2 1895. THE Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between these clubs was played on Saturday, their was 12,000 spectators presence when the teams line up against each other. McInnes was left out of the Everton team to make way for Cameron who played centre. Hartley going inside right, and the constitution of the visitors ranks was vastly changed from the eleven who did duty in the initial engagement. Both Livingston and Nichol were absentees owing to injuries received on the previous Saturday against Aston Villa, and Espie who has stood out owing to injury for over a couple of months reached his old position at centre half. At 2-30 the teams took their position as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Goldie Boyle (captain), and Stewart, half-backs, Bell Hartley, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burnley: - Tatham, goal, Reynolds, and McLintock, backs, McEleny, Espie, and Taylor halfbacks Patterson, Davidson, Bowes, Place, and Hill, forwards.

Burnley open the play, and their left wing was at once in evidence. The ball was, however, drivers of the line, and from the goal kick Milward made tracks to the other end, and centring the ball Cameron looked like giving Hartley a fine chance to score when Mclintock intercepted, and with a hugh lunge transferred the ball to the Everton half. Hill and Place were again prominent, but Goldie invariably had their measure and on putting Cameron in possession a fine concerned movement was made to the Burnley end when Chadwick tested Tatham with a fine dropping shot, which was attended to in a masterly style. Bell followed with another, as also did Milward from a fine screw over the line, but both were ably negotiation, and Espie brought about a complete change of venue by parting to Patterson, who however, failed to get round Arridge. At length the Burnley forwards bore down, very shortly, and the Everton goal had a couple of marvellous escapes. Patterson shot hard in, but the ball glided of the post to Hill, who also had similar bad luck, as the ball rebounded from the upright. Within a minute Hartley put the ball into Tathams hands and then Chadwick following with three clinking shots, which, were just a trifle wide of the mark. McLintock cleared strongly, and Hill looked like acting when Mr. Referee Lewis pulled him up for offside, but still the Burnley van were not to be denied and Place directed a swift low shot which, passed a trifle wide of the post. Reynolds was luckily in intercepting a fine drive from Cameron, and a couple of minutes later Hartley had bad luck in having his shot charged down close to the goalmouth. Some fine tackling by Goldie was greatly appreciated by the crowd, and following a well judged kick, Reynolds altogether missed the ball, which was eagerly prounced upon by Milward, who centred beautifully, but just as everyone was expecting a certain goal McTintock stepped across and took the ball clear from Cameron toe, and conceded a corner. Play located in the Burnley half until the interval was announced without anything having been scored.

On resuming the Everton forwards made off strongly, and Cameron appeared to have the goal at his mercy when Espie pulled him up and gave Howes a chance to make the running, and as Davidson was well in attendance Hillman was quickly called upon. Hartley changed the venue by sprinting nicely down, but the Burnley halves were on the alert, Taylor especially contributing excellent service with culminated in Hill defeating all opposition but Hillman, who saved a swift low shot in good fashion. Bell got away, but the final movement was spoiled by Hartley, who was penalised for jumping but as Reynolds was at this juncture playing a rather faulty game the home left pegged away most assiduously on his side. A couple of unproductive corners followed, and then Hill led on an attack, which resulted in a stiff scrimmage in the Everton goalmouth. The ball was eventually headed out, but McEleny met it, and drove it between a host of legs into the net. This unlooked for reverse put new lift into the Evertonians, who got to in real earnest, and gave the visitors defence a warm time. Shot after shot was sent in only to be well met, and to still further force the game Hartley went centre, Boyle directly afterwards took a free kick, and the ball eventually glided off Reynolds head into the net, the teams being thus placed on equal terms. Getting to work again the Burnley goal was heavily assaulted, but the defence was magnificent and towards the closing stages their forwards were making tracks for Hillman when they were penalised at halfway. Adams took the free kick and steered the ball straight at Tatham, who should have let it go into the net, but hesitating caught and then dropped it, and it was hustled into the net, Everton thus scoring the winning point one minute of time. Nothing further was done, and a hard game resulted in favour of Everton by 2 goals to 1.



December 2 1895.

Played at St. Elpins ground on Saturday, Everton had matters to them self, and winning by 7 goals to nil, Elliott Kelso and williams scoring for Everton. Everton: - Hills goal McDonald and Storrier, backs, Kelso, Meiklejohn, and Elliott halfbacks Reay, Williams, Chadwick (e) Flewitt, and Chadwick (j), forwards.


Evening Express. December 3, 1895

At Liverpool on Tuesday twelve employes of tho Everton Football Club were convicted f of robbing the club by manipulating the turn- stiles at matches. Three were sentenced to three months' imprisonment, seven to two months', and one to one mouth, the remaining defendant being liberated on his own recog- nisances. The modus operandi of the custo- dians has been something of this style. Before the responsible officials of the match had gone round to take the final figures for the match, the registering machine had been opened with the fake keys, and to give an instance of how the fraud has been perpetrated it must be sup- posed that the hist figures of the checker stood at 700. These have been put back, perhaps, a couple of hundred, and the record shown as 500. At a sixpenny entrance this would mean a matter of £ 5. It must, however, be under- wood that the larger the "gate" the greater the opportunity given for the operators to benefit tlkemselves. It is estimated by some people that tlu- Everton exchequer has this season beon defrauded of sum between £ 700 ard £ 1,000, and as this has been going on for several years it can easily be gathered what the conspirators have netted by their daring aud ingenious method of fraud.


December 4, 1895. Hampshire Advertiser.

The directors of the Everton having for some time past had suspicious that they were the victims of fraud, caused an inquiry to the instituted, and as a result nine of their employers were arrested on Saturday and Sunday, and charged with having Committed a series of thefts by manipulating the registering stills at the paygates of the ground. One or two other arrests are expected. It is alleged that some of the moneytakers were possesses of duplicate keys to the turnstiles, and were thus enabled to carry on dishonest practices by putting back the indicates before the registed numbers had been noted by officials of the club. Connivance of course, was necessary for the complete success of the system, and amongst those under detention are a groundsman and a youth employed in the office. One of the accused is in this way at the Sunderland match a fortnight ago. At Liverpool on Tuesday twelve employees of the Everton club were convicted of robbing the club. Three were sentenced to three month's imprisonment, seven to two months, and one to one month the other defendant being released on his own recogizances.


December 7, 1895. The Hampshire Advertiser.

At Liverpool Police court on Tuesday, twelve employees of the Everton Football Club Company consistiget nine turnstilemen, a labourer an office boy, and the groundsman pleaded guilty to stealing various sums of money belonging to the company by tampering with the turnstiles. The prisoners had got a duplicate key for the turnstile, by which they were able to alter the figures on the register. Last Saturday, during the match against Burnley, the secretary of the club took the correct numbers on the registers as usual, and later the groundsman by means of a duplicate key and by working a wire in a drilled hole, put seven turnstiles back 200 each. These frauds had been going on for some time, but the directors of the club would be satisfied by having the prisoners dealt with summarily. Three were sent to gal for three months. Seven to months, one for a month and the other boy was bound over.

SMALL HEATH 0 EVERTON 3 (game 199)

December 9 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the League games between these clubs was played at Smallheath on Saturday. The weather was altogether against there being a good display, though the game was fairly well particular some 3,000 giving their support to the game. It was found necessary to include Cameron in the Everton team owing to Hartley having injured his knee against Burnley on the previous Saturday, and there was but one change to the ranks of the Heathers at halfback from that which, played against Derby County. The visitors had the assistance of a strong breeze, which blow from end to end, and the game commenced in a downfall of snow. The Everton forwards commenced pressing at the onset and after the ball had been bobbing about the home goal in dangerous fashion, Wheldon put to his wing in possession and Adams was called upon to clear. At the other end Milward only just failed in heading the ball into the net, and after numberous corners kicks had been taken unsuccessfully, Oliver, with a strong kick, caused the home forwards to get well down, but when Hallam looked like getting in a final lick Stewart robbed him beautifully, and initiated a further onslaught at the Smallheath end. Another breakaway in charge of Bruce threatened disaster as Hillman was put well protected, when Arridge luckily chipped in, and following some splendid work by bell, McInnes and Chadwick reach was tested by the first named, only to be found in reachness. Several chance were offered to the visitors at this juncture which, were not taken, but eventually after another sequence of corner kicks Milward darted up and put the ball into the net, 35 minutes from the start. Boyle and Goldie had shots at goal, but the defence of Oliver and Lister was very strong, and nothing further was done up to the interval, when Everton led by one goal to nil. On resuming the Heathens were the first to make the running, but gradually the Everton forwards settled down, and keeping the ball low against the wind they indulged in many fine passages, which made the game interesting. Bruce at length darted off, but finished by shooting straight at Hillman, and after Cameron had tipped the ball nicely across to Bell, the latter player screwed across the goal, only to find Oliver on the alert. After several attempts had been made to score Goldie and at length played the ball well up, and as Lister did not clear strongly, Milward was on the ball in a trice, and giving no quarters drove it strongly past Roach. The game had scarcely been resumed when Cameron had a clear chance in front when Lister pounced upon him, but on failing to get the ball away, Milward again rushed up and notched a third goal. Following this reverse, Hillman had a warm time of it, for several well directed shots were levelled at him, but all were cleared in good style, and as no other points were score. Everton won easily by 3 goals to nil. Teams: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams and Arridges, backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Smallheath: - Roach, goal, Lister, and Oliver, backs, Ollie, Walton and Fraser, halfbacks, Hallam, Mobley, Brice, Wheldon and Hands, forwards.



December 9 1895. The Liverpool mercury

Played at Goodison Park on Saturday. Although Everton played against the wind in the first half they quickly got to work and with fine combination were often repeatedly dangerous. After several attempts had been made to reduce the visitors goal, Meiklejohn was at length successful with a fine shot, which was too much for Kitchen to deal with. The Buxton forwards made several spurts, but all were nipped in the bud by the home defenders who played a determined game. McDonald especially coping with his wing in good style. No further scoring was done up to the interval, when Everton lead by a goal to nil. Shortly after resuming Smith equalised. This was the signal for strong pressure on the Buxton defence, and after numberous chances had been offered Chadwick placed the home side ahead and towards the close Williams added a third goal, Everton emerging winners of a hard game by 3 goals to 1.played 9, won 8 lost 0, drawn 1, for 41 against 8, points 17


EVERTON 7 STOKE 2 (game 200)

December 16 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The attendance at Goodison Park on Saturday last, on the occasion of the first League match this season with Stoke, was a long way below the average, this probably being accounted for by the wretched weather that prevailed. The Potters were still without Hyslop, who has an enforced rest on account of insubordination and the same team that defeated Smallheath on the Saturday previous represented the Evertonians. At 2-30 the teams turned out as follows : - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridge backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart halfbacks Bell McInnes Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Stoke - Clawley, goal, Clare, and Eccles backs Turner, Grewer, and Brodie, halfbacks, Maxwell, Dickson, Loney, Sandilands, and Schofield forwards. Before about 10,000 spectators Cameron put the ball in motion, and within a few minutes most sensational scoring took place. The play had no sooner been started than Milward was in possession, and after sending across to Mcinnes that player parted to Cameron, who tricked Clare and put the ball into the net within half a minute from commencement of operations. Before the excitement consequent upon this early success had been subdued the ball was again on the home left, and after a movement had been made towards the Stoke goal Boyle tipped across to Bell, who scored with a most beautiful shot. Not daunted the visitors broke clean away from the centre, and on Hillman missing his kick Loney had no opposition and put on the first point for Stoke. This also unlooked for success spurred on the Potters and as Goldie missed badly Schofield just found the mark with a lovely shot under the bar at the corner and though Hillman reached the ball he failed to retain it, owing to its greasy nature. The four goals were recorded in the first five minutes of play, and excitement ran very high as the teams once more got to work at the centre. For some time the Stoke forwards forced the game, and one brilliant curling shot from Schofiled caused Hillman to throw himself full length in order to save, and as the right wing also peppered away at the home end, it may easily be imagined that the Everton defenders had a troublesome time. Cameron eventually made off with a fine sprint and pass to bell, who made further running and Boyle almost put on the finishing touch as Clawley fisted out a dangerous shot. For some minutes Everton kept up a persistent pressure, and after McInnes had forced a corner, Cameron was unfortunate in missing by the nearest shade. A fine low shot by Milward was finely cleared by Clawley, and then Grewer the Stoke centre half appeared to have the goal at his command when Arridge chipped in beautifully though still prospects were not by any means encouraging to the home side, for Hillman was repeatedly called upon. Eventually Bell got well away, and put in some magnificent centre, which unluckily were not properly ultised, and just as every one was ready to applaud a most brilliant score Clawley met the ball with his knee from the outside right, and brought off a marvekllous save. Some beautiful passing between Cameron, Bell, and Mcinnes covered three parts the length of the field, and as a fitting conclusion to it, Milward shot past Clawley, but for no apparent reason the referee disallowed the point. The decision was received with very bad grace by the spectator, and for some four minutes, owing to continued hooting the game was not proceeded with. The play continued on fairly even lines up to the interval , when the score stood Everton 2 goals, Stoke 2 goals.

On resuming, it was at once apparent that the Stoke forwards laboured under the heavily pace of the first half. Cameron got clean away, and after McInnes had supplemented Chadwick banged in a hot shot, which glided of the upright, and almost directly afterwards a fine effort from Cameron met with a similar fate. Luck appeared to be all against the Evertonians as Chadwick again struck the upright, and following a fine save by the custodian a scrimmage in front of goal was ended by Bell putting the through. Fine play on the part of Cameron was the most conspicuous item about this period, and the crowd did not fall to appreciate it to the full. Chadwick got in a fine shot, which Crawley was fortunate in meeting, and following a free kick close in goal Goldie sent in a goal which just grazed the crossbar. Milward experienced no better luck in heading, and then, the Stoke right got away, only to find Arridge secure. From a good kick, Schofield and Sandilands worked prettily down the Stoke left when Cameron put Milward in possession, and screwing across McInnes dashed up and scored, within a minute Lonely headed the ball into Hillman's hands, but the play did not stay long in Everton quarters. Milward put in a fine dropping shot which McInnes only just missed converting, but from a similar movement by the same player, McInnes this time made no mistake. Within a couple of minutes Bell met a return and scored, and towards the close McInnes scored a seventh, the final result being Everton 7 goals Stoke 2.



December 16 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

At Northwich. The visitors played with the wind in the first half, and Hill and Flewitt each scored. Everton leading by 2 goals to nil at the interval. On resuming Northwich scored, and then Flewitt notched a third for the visitors, while the custodian was out. For a time the home team pressed, but had hard luck while Everton defence was very sound . Everton: - Cook goal McDonald and Storrier backs, McAulay, Meiklejohn and Elliott halfbacks, Hill, Williams, Flewiit, Murray, Scholfield, forwards.



December 16 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

A more uninviting day for the followers of football than Saturday last can scarely be imagined, and the enclosure at Goodison road presented a very dismal appearance when the whistle announced the commencement of hostilities in the first engagement of the season between the Everton and Stoke teams. Although the match was looked upon as an important and interesting fixture in football circles, it is hardly to be wonderful as that the gate was the smallest there has been so far this season, for there were not more than 10,000 present at any period of the game. In a steady downpour, the ball was started by the home team, and the game at once assumed a sensational aspect were during the first two minutes did the Everton forwards completely defeat the opposing defence and score, and the team and their supporters were thus early on very good terms with themselves. Immediately afterwards however, the feeling of comfortably in the breast of the spectators was ruddy shocked, for within the nest three minutes the Stoke team had equalised. the whole four goals having been registered in five minutes, which doubtless will stand a new record in League encounter. From this point to the end of the first half the Stoke team made a very evident that they were not going to allow their opponents such a walk over as at first appeared probable; in fact during the first half the visitors did the bulk of the attacking, and the Everton defence more than once was very luckily, especially the halfback line. The shooting of the visitors was however, not of the best, and nothing tangible resulted from their efforts. On the other hand, when in front of goal the Everton forwards were extremely dangerous, and shot with suprising precaution, considering the slippery state of the ball. On one occasion a brilliant bit of passing by the right wing and centre ended in the ball being played to Milward, who streaded himself and shot a beautiful goal, which however, to the surprise and condignation of the spectators, and for no apparent reason whatsome ever, the referee refused to allow. On resuming after the interval, the Everton halfbacks line had completely recovered from the weakness displayed in the first forty five minutes and accounted in a very satisfactory manner for the opposing forwards, who were very really allowed to get near enough to goal to be dangerous. The Stoke defenders, who in the first half had appeared very effected, seemed quite disorganized, and foundered about hopelessly at times on the seddon ground. This defect was taken full advantage of by the Everton front rank, who treated the spectators to a brilliant exhibition of the passing game. Shot after shot rained in upon Clawley and he was indeed lucky to keep the score from being a record one. The Evertonians thoroughly revelled in their work, and their opponents must have been extremely thankfully when the referee's whistle blew for full time. During the last few minutes of the game the light failed and it was difficult to follow the movements of the players individually but it was very evident that the Stoke goal was undergoing a severe bombardment. The display of the home forwards was in every way admirable. Bell and McInnes were in a gluttonous humour for work, and got through heaps of it. Each scored three goals. Cameron played his best game so far for Everton, and when in the second half he refused a lot of dash into his work, he was simply in comparable. On his form in the second half, it can be relief upon, he is undoubtedly one of the best centre forwards playing. Chadwick and Milward up to their usual brilliant form, and although neither of them scored, at least thereof the goals came directly from judicious passing on their part. Milward was unlucky in the referee's decision for it was a palpably fair goal that he scored and in fact it was the best effort of the match. An already stated, the halfbacks were rocky in the first half. Goldie and Boyle especially not seemingly to feel their feet; but in the second portion these players made full amends and, with Stewart in such fine form as he was, they broke most of the attempts at combination amongst the Stoke forwards. Adams and Arridge were also unsteady at the outset, but afterwards they played their usually cool and effective game. Hillman in goal gave a good display. Which, was only slightly marred by an unfortunate miskick in the first few minutes, which gave a goal away. This fault may easily be put down to the very slippery state of the ball, and the second goal was also was no doubt attributable to the same cause, for although it was a beautiful shot, yet it seemed to slip quite through the goalkeeper's hands, and Hillman is not in the habit of letting anything ascore that he can reach. Two marvellous saves deserve special mention-one a beautiful low curling shot from Schofield, which Hillman by a supreme effort managed to clear at the expense of a corner and the other, in the second half from Loney, who was close in, and shot for the opposite side of goal, and how the burly custodian managed to save was a wonder save is perhaps, not correct, as Loney had previously been ruled offside. Of the Stoke forwards Scholfield and Sandilands were the best, and in the first half this pair played a very fine game. The ouside man is a fast and tricky as ever, and can shoot with Capital injugment. Loney was a very capable centre although never brilliant. Dickson was perhaps, the least noticeable of the quintet. Maxwell is a dashing and likely player, but was greatly handicapped by having a weak partner. The halfbacks Brodie, Grewer, and Turner, were good in the first half, but were quite at sea in the second, and consequently gave those in front of them very little assistance. The same remark applies to the backs, whose display in the first half was much superior to that of the second. Clare was especially noticeable in this respect. Clawley in goal had a very hard time and, on the whole, acquitted himself well. Most of the shots that found their way into the net were from close range, and could scarely have been checked by any custodian. On the whole, the state of the ground suited the home players much better than their opponents, and it was to the completely outstaying the visitors that the victory was so promised. Next Saturday the familiar of Holt will be found in the team, and, as he is reported to be in excellent condition, Everton prospects against Villa are very promising.


December 21, 1895. The Wrexham Advertiser.

Charlie Parry, the Everton full back and Welsh International, has decided to throw in his lot with Newtown. He has obtained his release from Everton, and taken with him one, if not two, the most promising junior football players in the Liverpool district. With such an addition, the holders of the Welsh Cup should stand a good chance of retaining the trophy another season.

A sore point was raised at Everton on Saturday. The referee stopped the game for several minutes, presumably because the spectators hooted him over disallowing Everton a goal. Suppose the spectators had cheered instead of hooting him, would he have adopted this course as a protest against this exhibition of feeling?

In answer to the advertisement for gateman, a crowd, esteemed at several thousands, turned up at the office of the Everton club, and they represented the commercial and labouring, and indeed all sorts of classes. The directors selected the requisite number, and have also ordered a new rig out of turnstiles, fifteen of the latter being in use on Saturday. The men had to put up with a lot of good-natured chaff, but they got through the work fairly well.

EVERTON 2 ASTON VILLA 0 (game 201)

December 23 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The return engagement between these teams, which has been anxiously looked forward to, was brought to a conclusion on Saturday, at Goodison Park, before 24,000 spectators. Both teams were alive to the importance of the game and during the week indulged in assiduous training, the Evertonians at home, and the Villa at home, and at Druitwich. With the exception of James Cowan, the Midlanders were at their best and Everton were represented by the team that had been so signally successful lately. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Cameron, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa: - Wilkes, goals, Spencer, and Welford, backs, Reynolds, Chatt, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Devey, Campbell, Hodgetts, and Smith, forwards. Referee, Mr. Kingscott.

Aston Villa opened the play, and after a couple of rushes on the left, which were ably attened to, the home van got well under weigh, and dangerous backheeling by Welford almost left an opening for Bell. Immediately afterwards Athersmith was in possession, and after a smart run down, swung the ball across to smith, who looked a likely scorer, as Goldie slipped, and Hillman was a little late, though fortunately the ball rolled harmlessly over the line. Following this was a fine sequence of passing by the home quintet, and the ball was taken down in very finished style, the movement culminating in Chadwick heading the ball a few inches beside the mark. Athersmith and Devey well attended to be Reynolds, raced down strongly, but lost ground by fouling Arridge, and once again, after the Villa halves had executed some brilliant heading, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward darted off, and Spencer was decidedly lucky in meeting a successful attempt to lower the inside man which, appeared to be beating the custodian. At the other ends''hands'' against Adams looked ominous, but after the same player had cleared, Bell contributed a splendid run down, finishing up with a brilliant shot, which Wilkes got away with difficulty. This was a fine effort, and the crowd did not fail to appreciate it. A grand shot by Smith and an equal fine save by Hillman were the next items, but for some time play hovered dangerously near the home goal. A grand shot from Athersmith caused Hillman to concede a corner from which Reynolds headed in, only to see the burly custodian fist it safely away, and following with another attempt to score, the ball was driven over the bar. Crabtree also tested Hillman, but with no better luck, and then Chadwick and Milward broke the monotony with a fine movement down the left. Chatt was fouled for holding Cameron and after Chadwick had shot in, and wilkes again cleared, it was again driven hard in, and from a melee McInnes in a falling position, cleverly kicked the ball into the net the game having been in progess 23 minutes. Tremendous cheering greeted this success, and it was renewed on Bell, immediately afterwards racing down the wing. Goldie was at this juncture playing a splendid game and was responsible for much trouble to the Villa defence. Cameron appeared to have a clear course, but slipped, and Chadwick running over the line, met the ball and sent in a beauty with Wilkes cleverly kept out Devy Campbell, and Athersmith at length made off, but being well attended to by Stewart and Arridge the perforce restored to long range shooting, which suited Hillman immediately, as be invariably put his side in possession after clearing. Nothing further was done up to the interval. When Everton led by 1 goal to nil. Immediately on resuming Chadwick shot in, and Milward was penalised for handling the ball. This however, mattered little as Cameron drove in hard, and as Wilkes only brought off a feeble save Bell was up in a trice and put the ball into the net two minutes after the restart. During the next few minutes it looked long odds on Everton increasing their lead, but Crabtree, Spencer and Welford defended admirably, and after Everton's centre had made the running Stewart unfortunately collided with Boyle, and retired for a few minutes. Milward went halfback, and there seemed no apparent loss, and after a tame period of some five minutes the enthusiasm of the crowd was again raised as Bell raced away, and Chadwick put in one of his inimitable screws. Smith replied on the Villa's left, but took too long a range, and Hillman cleared with ease. The Villa were now mainly engaged in long kicking and sudden spurts down the wings, but the home defenders were not to be caught unstrung, and kept their charge well to the finish, when the game resulted in favour of Everton by 2 goals to nil.



December 23 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The return friendly fixture between these two clubs was brought off at Wrexham on Saturday. When the attendance owing to the unfavorable weather, was much below the average. The home side played with but ten men; but their defence was sound, and it was not until well on in, the first half that the Evertonians found an opening when Elliott banged the ball into the net. After this point the visitors had all their work cut out to keep the home side from getting on equal terms, but nothing further was scored up to the change of ends when Everton led by 1 goal to nil. On resuming Wrexham were fully represented and made praiseworthy efforts to score. However, Storrier especially maintained a stubborn defence, and after 30 minutes play Hill added to the score, which was held to the finish. Everton winning a fair game by 2 goals to nil. Everton: - Cook goal, McDonald, and Storrier, backs Kelso, Meiklejohn, and Elliott halfbacks, Williams, Murray, Mainman, Hill, and Flewitt, forwards.



December 23 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton directors rightly indigent at the attitude taken up by the referee on the occasion of the Stoke on Saturday week have appealed to the management committee of the League on the points of his ruling, but praying that Mr. Adams should not again be appointed as referee at Goodison Park. It is a somewhat novel application, but nevertheless a perfectly justifiable one. The referee delayed the game on the score of being hooted, thereby taxing the patience of the crowd that are generally ready to make the best of matters, though adverse to their interest. He certainly at fault, and had he persisted in his course of action it would not have been a difficult matter to predict who would have been the sufferer at the finish. A better regulated and more unbiased following are not to be found outside Goodison Park, and had a few unpardonable lost control of themselves on the occasion it would have been distinctly unfortunate the club. The directors in the interest of sport, we taking a very wise step and the reset of their application will be awaited with interest. The meeting of Everton and Aston Villa, which have of late been looked forward to as the event of the season, is now a thing past and Evertonians on the general play, were justly returned victorious, fortable- frost and fog-there was a crowd of about 24,000 on the ground, and as victory was thrown in, it can readily be imagined that the Everton enthusiasms greatly enjoyed themselves. The turf was hard and slippery, and the great pace which matched the opening stages of play, was responsible for many funny incidents, in which, the extremities of certain players seemed to mistake their proper function. The home players were much more comfortable on their feet than were their opponents, and it was due to this that they so frequently made the running to the Villa goal. The forwards play of the Evertonians was more skilful and finished than that of the Villa, who mainly trusted more to their speedy wingers, Smith and Athersmith, than to a general division of work. Against an average team, no doubt the style of play adopted by the midlanders would have been most effective, but against a couple of speedy backs such as Everton posses such methods are not likely to meet with much success. The Everton van infused plenty of dash into their movements, and had they been as deadly in front of goal as in late matches, the Villians would have been heavy sufferers indeed, though it must not be forgotten that Everton had on Saturday a much better defence to meet. Cameron executed some clever individual work, though most of his attention was engaged with the wings, which he kept together in excellent fashion. The right wing, in charge of Bell, and McInnes, was as dangerous as ever, and was responsible for the two goals scored, though were no deterioration in the play at the other end of the line. Bell was in fine form and delighted the crowd with several of his dashing runs. On one occasion he obtained the ball in the Everton half, and rushing off at full speed, tipped it past Crabtree, and made for goal, with Welford in close attendance. He was prevented by the latter player from getting into good shooting position, but nevertheless he finished up his fine individual effort by a beautiful shot from a difficult angle, which took Wilkes all his time to keep out. Milward came in for more attention than was necessary from the Villa backs, but still he played one of his best games, and when on occasions there were but little prospects of work he did not fail to go out of his way in pursuit of some. This was especially noticeable in the second part of the last half, when it was important that Everton should maintain their lead of two goals . Chadwick passing and shooting were brilliant, and he had on several occasions district ill luck in not scoring. He had many little tussles with his old friend Reynolds and the fact that he has lost none of his cleverness was clearly demonstrated by the way in which he usually got the better in the long run of the English international right half. Goldie played as well as ever, and was such a stumbling block to the visitors, left wing that Hodgetts on more than one occasion indulged in foul tactics with the young halfback, which however, it was satisfactory to see did not escape the watchfulness of the referee. Boyle in the centre was quite equal to the heavy task of looking after Campbell, and his play in the second half had a very telling effect. Stewart was again in fine form, and put in a tremendous lot of hard and effective work. Adams and Arridge played a dashing and safe game, and completely neutalised the two fast outside men's tactic. It is in a match like that on Saturday that they shine, as their great speed serves them so well. The fact that Hillman had a clean sheet against fine scorers like the Villa's front line speaks for his display. He had many difficult shots to deal with of all description, and was very cool and collected in the management of each. The Villa front line was quite the best they could put in the field, and their passing in midfield was as brilliant on one could wish to see. They usually however spoiled a pretty passing movement by kicking too strongly at the finish, no doubt trusting to one of their famous sprinters being able to reach the ball first- tactics which did not come off at all against backs which were, if anything more speedy than their fastest forwards, and a goalkeeper like Hillman, who can judge to a nicety when it is judicious to run out. Athersmith did not seen at all happy, and though he was most assiduously fed he could not make off the attentions of Arridge, and was not often able to get in either a decent centre of shots. The three centre man-Devey, Campbell and Hodgetts-passed nicely in midfield, but as a already stated, their efforts were usually spoiled by long kicking at the finish. Those who remembered Smith's brilliant display against the Scotch international team last season would no doubt wonder what had come over him on Saturday for he rarely rose above the average. He managed however, on one or two occasions to get in a good shot, and one-a beautiful low cross shot-might easily have beaten a less capable custodian than Hillman. The halfbacks Reynolds, Chatt, and Crabtree-all played a very fine game. Reynolds was undoubtedly the best, and made some very good attempts at goal, once very nearly finding the net with a clever header, which Hillman just managed to reach. He is undoubtedly the funnyman of the football field, and amused the crowd by many of his curious antics. The full backs Welford, and Spencer- were pretty safe, but seemed scarely fast enough for the well trained Everton forwards. Wikes was a very capable goalkeeper, and accounted in a satisfactory manner for most of the shots that he had to deal with. The two that beat him were from close quarters, and it is improbable that any custodian could have saved them. He however, did not clear as well as the home goalkeeper, and it was the fault that led up to the second goal being scored against him.



December 26 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The holiday fixture played yesterday afternoon at Goodison Park, was not patronised as per expectation, for there would strongly be more than 6,000 present at any period of the game. The intense cold had, no doubt a high hand in the comparatively small attendance, and there was scarely sufficient excitement in the game to counteract the surrounding uncomfortable conditions. In view of the League match on Saturday, the executive wisely decided on playing the majority of the combination team. At 2-15 the sides turned out as follows : - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, McDonald, ad Arridge, backs, Kelso, Goldie, and Elliott, halfbacks, Latta, Williams, Flewitt, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Bell, goal, Smith, and Sinclair, backs, Marshall, Burns, and Gibson, halfbacks, McCreadie, Boyd, Fulton, McPherson, and Smith forwards .Everton kicked off against a strong breeze and at once the Rangers made tracks for the home goal. A steady pressure was maintained on the Everton defence for some time, McCreadie and Boyd in turn sending in shots, which were well attended to. Eventually Flewitt got away, and following some smart play by the whole of the line, Milward steadied himself in good position and defeated Bell with a clinking shot. Getting to work again Fulton led on a fine forward move for the visitors, and a shot was levelled at Kitchen, which was not were ably attended to, and almost directly following one from McCreadie nearly found the mark the Everton forwards were more precise in attack than were the Rangers, but the strong breeze nulititated against accurate shooting. Smith the Rangers full back, repeatedly saved his side by his dashing display. Chadwick had several narrow squeeks in scoring. Than the Rangers centre backs broke off, and outpaced all his opponents, but Arridge who, however, only temporally arrested his progess, for the ball was tipped across to Smith on the outside left who promptly beat Kitchen with a clever shot. Play had no sooner been resumed than the Everton defenders were again in straits, and Kitchen was called upon from Fulton. Directly afterwards Burns with a fine overhead kick looked like scoring, when Arridges headed away, at the expense of a fruitless corner, and then Goldie opened out the play for Chadwick who made the running and passed to Flewitt, and Williams being in close attendance, a fine opening was taken full advantage of by the last named player. Everton once again taking the lead. A couple of free kicks placed the Rangers in good position and they were unlucky indeed in not finding the way to the net. Again the play ran frequently to the Evertonians, and after a fine movement on the home right the ball was swung across to Milward who headed wide of the mark. A corner followed immediately afterwards, but it was effectively cleared, and Smith, McPherson and Fulton raced away very cleverly down, but the last named was eventually at fault. Following a fine movement by Chadwick and Milward, Elliott rushed up and shot in from long range, the ball curling into the net. Half time was then announced with Everton leading by 3 goals to 1.

On resuming Flewitt was conspicuous with a fine run down the centre, and scoring looked certain as Chadwick lay in a good position, but Smith charged down the shot somewhat luckily, and on Flewitt again making a bold bid for goal the wily right back cleared in grand style. A further return this time met with better success, as Flewitt converted a beautiful movement in which Milward took a leading part, and brought up the score to four goals. Following this reverse the Rangers played up spiritedly, and the forwards, backed up by some capital assistance from the halves were frequently in dangerous quarters. Once Boyd had a clear course, but did not allow for the wind, and almost immediately afterwards a fine centre from Smith should easily have been converted. At the other end Milward missed an easy chance, as also did Fulton after Smith had placed the ball well from a free kick. Latta and Williams got through some good work on the home right, but there was no defeating Sinclair, who with his confrere Smith furnished many spicy bits of play. Flewitt had the ball often, but owing to the close attentions of Burns, had to part with it quickly as it was received. McCreadie had a couple of shots which nearly found the mark, and just when every one was expecting a downfall of the Everton goal, Flewitt dashed away and slipping between the Rangers backs, had no difficulty in notching a fifth goal. Latta next had the goal at his mercy, but shot across badly, and then a long beautiful effort by Chadwick resulted in a corner. The remaining play was evenly divided, and nothing further was scored. Everton won a good game by 5 goals to 1.



December 27 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The famous Scotch Leaguers continuing their holiday tour, made their appearance at Goodison park yesterday afternoon, with quite 18,000 spectators withstood the discomfort of the piercing cold, and thoroughly enjoyed the game, the visitors were strongly represented, while the Everton executives in view of Saturday's League contest against Small Heath, relied in the main upon the combination team. There was a little delay in lining up, but when the preliminaries were arranged the team were found to be as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Kelso, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain) Meiklejohn, and Elliott halfbacks, Bell, Williams, Flewitt, Chadwick, and Schofield, forwards, Glasgow Celtic: - McArthur, goal, Meechan, and Orr, backs, King, Maley, and Battles halfbacks, Blessington, Cross, Madden, McMahon, and Ferguson, forwards. Madden started the play against the breeze. The opening stages did not at all appear too promising for Evertonians, and the mixed calibre of the team no doubt had much to do with the feeble efforts in the first five minutes. Blessington in this period was conspicuous in many fine runs down the Celtic right, and backed up, as he was by some clever work on the part of Maley the centre half the home defenders had more than one anxious time. The outside man eventually forced a corner, and on playing the ball beautifully in goal McMahon opened the scoring account this early. Getting to work again, Madden the Celtic centre opened out several chances, which were often on the point of being converted, and the Everton defenders must be accounted lucky in keeping many fine shots out. Eventually Schofield who partered Chadwick tipped the ball nicely across, but Williams was greatly at faulty, and when again Boyle, had put Chadwick in Possession, and that player had opened out a clear course for the home right, the ball was ultimately driven anywhere, but in the right direction. Meanwhile the Celts forwards divulged many of the nicer points of play, and their sharp and accurate passing, which stood out in marked contrast to the work of their opponents, was greatly admired. After Ferguson and McMahon had executed a tricky run down the left, Bell got clean away and placed a fine centre, which Chadwick took advantage of and score stood even. A moment later Flewitt should have taken the lead from an easy chance afforded by Schofield, and in the next couple of minutes both Boyle and Chadwick made a bid for goal with little success. A little later Chadwick shot in hard, and as McArthur failed to clear well, both Flewitt and Williams were on him in a trice and on the ball coming out to Schofield, that player with a clinking shot found the mark. Everton thus taking the lead. Up to this point most of Everton's efforts were of an individual character. Boyle, Chadwick, and Bell being the most noticeable; but from this juncture there was a district improvement in generalising the work, with the result that the Celts backs had plenty to do. Fouls against Storrier and Meiklejohn were frequent, and from one which resulted in forcing a corner, Battles was just a trifle wide of the posts. Bell had several tussles, and had invariably the better of him, but there was no beating Orr and Meechan, who were playing a fine defensive gam. Madden led the way to the Everton end, and gave Ferguson a fine chance to equalised, but it was not utilised, and Flewitt fastening on the ball, ran speedily the centre, only to be thwarted in the finals effort by Meechan. A fine centre by Schofield was cleverly got away by McArthur, and then followed one of the finest bits of forward play in the game. The Celts passed and repassed to each other in most clever fashion, and covered nearly the length of the field, a movement that would undoubtedly have resulted in a goal had not Maley displayed poor judgement at the finish. The interval had now arrived, leaving Everton leaders by two goals to one. Shortly after resuming Battles wrenched his knee, this delaying the game for a few minutes, and on getting to work again, it was at once apparent that the Celts were bent on leaving nothing to chance for there was finish about most of their movements. Maley tried a shot from long range, but was wide of the mark and after Blessington and Cross-had made the running, Madden got clear away, and easily defeating Storrier, had an open course and drove into the net. Restarting King fouled Chadwick, but a very poor attempt was made to place the ball in goal. Latter Flewitt, and Boyle shot in, but both were wide, and after Bell had failed to receive much support from Williams, who persistently passed to the inside men, he went off on his own account and put in some very fine centres. On a beauty-was met by Chadwick, who was pounced upon by Meechan, but the ball glided to Schofield who scored a very cleverly, Everton again taking the lead. At the other end Kelso saved very luckily in close quarters from Blessington, and after a retrograde movement Williams out in a couple of wretched shots. A corner taken by Schofield almost resulted in Chadwick heading in, and from this point to the close the bulk of the attack was maintained by Everton, who eventually won a fair game by 3 goals to 2.


EVERTON 1 SMALL HEATH 0 (abandoned 37 minutes)

December 30 1895. The Liverpool mercury

The weather on Saturday was altogether against a big crowd visiting Goodison Park for the attendance would scarely reach 6,000. The Everton executive turned out the strongest available forces which included Ho t who has not taken part in the game since October 12, and as Stewart had not recovered from his collision with Boyle on the previous Saturday, Goldie filled his position. The Heathens were strongly represented. At 2-15 in a perfect torrent of rain, the teams lined up as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridges, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Goldie, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Small Heath: - Roach, goal, Lester, and Oliver, backs, Ollis, Walton and Friser, halfbacks, Adlington, Mobley, Bruce, Whekldon, and hands, forwards. Bruce started for Small Heath, but in the first minute Chadwick sent in a couple of shots at Roach, and on the home left again taking up the running, Cameron tipped nicely across to Bell, who scored with a beautiful shot. Getting to work again Holt opened out the play to Milward, who was a trifle wide of the mark, and then Bruce led the way to the other end, and in conjunction with Hands give Adams plenty of work. After a fine passing by Cameron Bell, and Mcinnes Fraser broke up the movement and Ollie was equally successful at the other end of the lines in checking the combination of Chadwick and Milward. Eventually a corner was forced of Lester, and for the next ten minutes play ruled persistently inside the Henthens half. Chadwick, Cameron, Bell, and McInnes popped at goal, but the greasy nature of the ball had a great deal to do with erratic shooting. Eventually Hands Wheldon, and Bruce, broke away, but Holt easily accounted for the visitors centre at the finish, and then Bell ran grandly down the right and sent in a clinking shot which Roach was lucky in meeting with his foot. Off side by Bruce spoiled a fine opening which, had been created by the visitors right wing pair, and after Chadwick had essayed a couple of screw shots both Goldie and Boyle tried their luck from long ranges but with no success. Eventually Cameron darted off, and sent in a fine drive, which appeared to be going under the bar, when Roach reached it and tipped it over, but there was no relief to the custodian as the home forwards again quickly swarmed round his charge and on every possible opportunity shot in. several capital clearance were effected and then Hands and Wheldon once more took the ball to the other end, where Arridges was beaten, but Hillman not, and the ball was transferred to midfield. Cameron took up the running, and for the next few minutes the home was were greatly in evidence but could not convert the final movement. After the game had been in progess for 37 minutes, the referee called the players together, certainly to consider whether the play should be continued. They left the field and several conferences with the officials of both clubs took place, and the game was finally abandoned.



December 28 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton holiday engagements were satisfactory in every way. The attendance at the game were considering the cold weather, all that could be expected, and as both the games were won, and mainly by the efforts of the combustion team, who most prominently repressed the club, it speaks well for the reserves strength that the executive have at hands. The Glasgow Rangers were the visitors on Christmas day, and by their decisive defeat they will have occasion to remember their visit. They brought down a powerfully team, but they could make but little headway against the home defence, which although of a mixed character met most of the movements with perfect confidence. Their left wing, Smith and Mcpherson played a fine game, and none put in more telling work then did Smith whose display at right back was nothing less than brilliant. Flewitt played nicely as Everton's centre and with Chadwick and Milward withstood the brunt of the attack, while both Elliott and Arridge played a great game, these players being mainly responsible for the ineffective efforts of the Rangers. The Boxing day crowd numbered close upon 20,000 spectators, and the game proved a thoroughly enjoyable one. The Celtic were represnted by a powerful eleven and though they were defeated they played a most attractive game then did the Evertonians, whose display was fitful. The Celts forwards passed to each other in finished style and were most unlucky in having final efforts charged down, while the play of the Everton van was somewhat spoiled by injudicious methods adopted by Williams who rarely attended to Bell, even when good openings presented themselves. None of the Everton defenders, with the exception of Boyle rose above the average, while the defence of the visitors was a strong point. Smith, Maley, and McArthur being conspicuous throughout.

The game between Everton and small Heath came to a prenature end owing to the weather, and a close criticism of the play and players would be superfluous. There were nevertheless many good points, and right from the commencement Everton showed undoubted superiority, the passing of the forwards being of the highest class, and indeed in the respect the greasy ball and wretched state of the ground did not seem to make the slightest difference. The shooting was, however, mostly wide, but this defect can easily be accounted for. Bell was the notable exception with regard to shots, for during the 37 minutes play he got in several magnificent specimen, one which found the inside of the net, and a couple of others were saved in a distinctly lucky manner. The Everton men very rightly calculated that a goalkeepers task on a day like Saturday would be no easy one and both forwards and halfbacks kept putting away at the Small Heath goal, whenever they were at all reasonably near. It was a welcome sight to see Holt back in the team and he very early on made his presence felt. Fine as the halfback display of the last ten weeks have been, these is no doubt that the inclusion of the little international strength the centre line. No one better than he knows how to break up the opposing team's forward movement, and he always manager to be whereever danger threatens. Stewart was unable to play on Saturday owing to the injury to received the previous week through a collision with Boyle so Goldie services were requisitioned and their clever and improved young players acquitted himself in an admirable manner for he seemed quite in much at home on the left as on the right. At tines Smallheath men showed promising form, and on the whole played a better game than they did as home against Everton. but they went in for too much long passing, practice that have been amply proved to be of little avail against a pair of fast backs like Adams and Arridge. Hillman had consequently to do except occasionally run out and kick clear- duty which, he always performs to a nicety. On one occasion, however, he had to get away a dangerous shot by Wheldon, but was quite equal to the task. Altogether what with the drenching rain, the wind, and the state of the ground, it can be imagined that it was not at all a pleasant game to witness and it is a pity that the referee Mr. West crossed the ground five minutes before the start, and therefore had ample opportunity of judging what the turf was like, allowed the game to commence at all but having once begin it would undoubtedly have been wiser to continue, at any rate until half time, when he would have had an opportunity of consulting the officials and players of both clubs as to be the best course to presume. When it became known that the game was to be finally abandoned the studded appearance of the crowds on the two end stands made matters look somewhat ominous. For some time they remained unmoved and them numbers came stragging towards the press and directors boxes. A few of the more irate were loud in their determination of the action of the referee and demanded the return of their money. One individual, who had climbed over the barricades into the field, diverted the crowd for some minutes by a struggle with the police, who were trying to eject him, and this proved a signed for vast numbers to swarm on the ground, but after hooting and yelling they again gathered round the directors stand. A pack of small boys, as if to register their protest against the stoppage of the game and to clearly demonstrate that the state of the weather and ground was not sufficiently bad to warrant the referee's action, commenced a game with a small rubber ball on their own account. Meanwhile the attitude of the older section of the spectators was becoming more threatening. They clamoured round the director's bar, now the directors harbour of refuge, and the police had all their work cut out to keep them from forcing the position. Stones were freely flung, and the clock and several of the windows were smashed. Some of the railings were torndown, but no substanials damage was done, and after the crowd had vented their feeling in the above manner for nearly an hour the ground was cleared. One cannot help feeling some sympathy with the spectators, to many of whom the nimble sixpenne is a fair sum, and they no doubt felt very much aggrieved at having to spare this amount from their modest pocket money and then to witness not quite half a football match. It is difficult however, to suggest what the directors could have done in the emergency. It would have been palpably unfair to the club to have returned the money to the spectators, some of whom had wandered promisuslous over all portions of the ground and then again, it would have meant so much dead loss to the club through no fault of their own to have prepared and issued tickets for another match to about 6,000 people at a moment's notice would have been almost impossible. It seems a pity however, that one of the directors or officials of the club did not at any rate, attempt to address the crowd. In order to explain the position of affairs, so try to obviate that display of bad feeling which, so large a number indulged in, and which must initiate not at all to the club's advantage. It might perhaps tend to restore good feeling between the club and disaffected parties if the managers, after deducting all expenses from the gate money received on Saturday handled a portion of the balance over to some charitable institution. Especially would this come with good grace, seeing that the charity match with West Bromwich Albion played under Wells Lights did not turn out to be anything like a financial success. Everton visit Blackburn on New Years Day, to play the return League fixture with the Rovers, who it will remembered were victorious at Goodison Park early in the season by 2 goals to nil. After the game, the Evertonians go on their annual Scottish tour, meeting the Celtic St Mirren and Hearts of Midlothains on successive days. The executive are taking their full League team and in case of emergency four of the combination players.