February 1897



February 1 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton were luckily drawn in this the first round proper of the English Cup competition, as their opponents, the Burton Wanderers, judging from their performances in the second League appeared to have a very remote chance indeed of running the local team a close race. Neither side was as full League strength, for the visitors had to forego the services of their right back, Cunningham, and bring Handley from the forwards to centre half, while Stewart, who had injured one of his toss at Preston, stood down for Robertson. At three o'clock the teams took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Holt, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burton Wanderers: - Arkesdon (t), goal, Lowe, and Archer backs, Devey (e), Handley, and King halfbacks, Brown Flanghan, Devey Arkesdon, and Lumsden, forwards. There would be about 5,000 spectators present when Devey started for Wanderers, but failing to make headway they were quickly called upon to defend. The backs cleared well, and following a further attack, led on by Bell, the ball was put on the Burton left. Lumsden contibuation a fine run and centre, and had Devey been up in time the visitors must certainly have opened their account. Arridge got up in time and cleared powerfully. Chadwick then threaded his way through the opposing halves and shot in, but Arkesden was on the lert, his save being taken up by the forwards, who swung the ball about in a series of passages the ultimately brought play in close proximity to Menham. Storrier was beaten by Lumsden, but only a fruitless corner resulted, and after a further rush by the Wanderers Flannagan sent in a clinking shot, which Menham got away with difficulty. Then Bell fastened on the ball and keeping it close succeeded in getting within shooting range, but he was unfortunately charged off when the goalkeeper's chances were practically nil. A corner followed, Taylor being slightly wide with his attempt to score and from a subsequently free kick the same player again missed the mark by the merest shave. Keeping up a strong pressure another corner was conceded, and Holt, and Bell both got their leads to the ball, the latter putting it through after play had been in progess 20 minutes. The Wanderers then had a spell of attack without tangible result, and the monotony was at left broken by Chadwick getting off firmly, and parting to Bell, a magnificent goal was registered from long range. Taylor and Chadwick made openings for Hartley, which was badly utilized, and then Boyle put in a couple of dropping shots that gave Arkesden considerable troubles. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when the record stood Everton 2 goals, Burton Wanderers nil. On resuming the attendance had increased, and Hartley started a fine movement which resulted in Milward shooting across the goalmouth, where Taylor met the ball, but finished badly. From the goal kick Lumsden took the ball down nicely, and tricking Storrier parted to A.Arkesden, who scored first point for his side after three minutes play. This reverse fairly roused the Evertonians, who swooped down on the vicinity defence, and on a shot being sent in from the right Milward was well up. The full backs were in each other's way to the determent of the custodian and the ball was easily placed into the net. A brilliant run by Bell ended in Hartley putting the ball to Chadwick, who piloted it past Arkesden, the score reading four to one after twenty minutes play. Storrier was lying too far up the field, and as a consequence the visitors maintained play on the home right, and on one occasion Menham had no other recourse, but to embark on a long run, and fortunately he was first at the ball. Play now turned down considerably, and for some time the movements of the players were ragged in the extreme, the heavy nature of the ground apparently telling upon the players. Holt was at this juncture prominent as he frequently pulled up his opponents in easy fashion. and later, Chadwick took full advantage of a fine opening and scored a fifth goal. Arkesden shortly afterward reduces the margin. From this point up to the close, the game was mostly in favour of Everton. nothing further was scored, and the home team won by 5 goals to 2.



Febuary 1 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

No details Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Meecham, and Barker, backs, Hughes (e), Meiklejohn (g), and not known, Williams (w), Conway, Cameron (j), Campbell (WC), and Schofield (a), forwards.



February 1 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

After the long series of stern League battles in which, the Everton team have played almost successful part, the contest on Saturday last was generally looked upon as one likely to after an opportunity to our local teams of taking matters in fairly easy fashion. However, this was not realised to any appreciable extent, and the team, in order to steer clear of any untoward incidents, was compelled to keep up the pace, and leave nothing to chance thoughout the whole of the games. Indeed there were occasions especially during the earlier portions of play, when the burly Burton men, by reason of weight and dash, looked like effecting a surprise, and a modicum of cool headedness in front of goal, must undoubtedly have given them a lead, in these times of keen competition might easily have resulted in putting a totally difficult complexion upon the game. The visitors were a sturdy lot, and while making use of whatever advantage their weight afforded them, they were at times distinctly clever, in carrying out their own particular style of play. In the main they received to rushing tactics, and were frequently clever in upsetting the equilibrium of the Everton defenders. However, they were palpably weak in finishing touches and hereby lay the greeted disparity between the teams. The ground militated against high speed, but under the circumstances the players keep their feet wonderfully well though under no considerations can it be argued that combination was a salient feature of the game. At odd intervals there were flashes of combined movements that were unfortunately too short lived, and on the whole individual efforts predominated. In the matter it was only to be expected that Everton would have a distinct pull over their opponents, but keeping in mind the general play, there was not a difference in merit of three goals on the day's display. Had the Everton centre forwards been at all accurate in taking passes from the wings, not to mention final efforts, we should doubtless have been treated to a reputation of that brilliant combination that has been so marked a feature in the game of the past two months, and unless there is an improvement in this particular quarter on Saturday next, in the first of the League games with North End, the prospect of the local club will be none too promising. Most danger threatened from the right wing, but at the same time Chadwick was always busy, and like Bell, who played a sound game, all through scored two out of the five goals. The latter player was particularly aggressive and for the benefit of those who did not make the journey to Preston on the previous Saturday he gave a repetition of his brilliant run that then decided the match, and with a little luck would have crowned his efforts with success. The Burton forwards never knew what it was to be beaten and must be complimented upon their plucky display. They put plenty of dash into their movements, and opposed to a less competent trio of halfbacks they would prove a very stubborn lot to deal with. The two wingmen were the most dangerous, Lumaden the outside left, particularly so, as he frequently had the measure of Boyle and Storrier but was not well backed up at the finish. Holt fairly delighted the crowd by his solid display, and occasional trickiness, but the heavy stated of the ground was altogether against Robertson, who had great difficulty in keeping a firm foothold. The Wanderers halves played a fairly level game, and Handley in the centre got through his mission successfully in holding Hartley well in check. There was nothing particular striking about the performance of the Everton full backs; in fact it is many a long day since this division was so weakly maintained. Storrier in the second half appeared to treat matters in very light fashion, and this is surely not the way to justify the good things that have been written and said concerning his brilliant performance at Deepdale in the Lancashire Cup competition. He was frequently mixed up with the halfbacks, and the Wanderers left were keen enough to take advantage of this, as they put on their two goals from that quarter. Arridge played a more steady game, and Menham though he was not hotly pressed did very well, he having no chance whatever at the goals recovered against him. Both the Burton backs cleared well, and with a more capable custodian the issue must have been a very close one. On the day's play, of course, Everton were the better team. At the same time, it is a difficult matter to reconcile the play of the visitors with their low position in the second division League table.



February 8 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League engagements between these clubs was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, before 25,000 spectators. The teams were well represented, and took the field as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Dunn, backs, Blythe, Grier and Orr, halfbacks, Smith, Pratt, Stevenson Boyd, and Henderson, forwards. Everton opened well for, aided by some fine play on the part of Holt, the North End backs had plenty of work on hand to keep out the home forwards. Eventually Stevenson made off, and when about to be tackled the ball was put smartly to Henderson, who drove into the net, Menham making a feeble attempt to save. This success came after play had been in progess for three minutes, and on getting to work again the home forwards swarmed round the visitors defence, but to no purpose, as both Holmes and Dunn offered strenuous resistance. Bell all but raced through, and directly afterwards he unfortunately headed over the bar. Then the visitors put on great pressure, and the home goal had several near shaves of being captured. Some capital combination of the Everton forwards ended in Milward getting in a clinking shot which Trainor saved at the corner of the net, but not to be denied, the van, came again, and Hartley, after a fine bit of work, shot in. trainor was not in a good position for effectively clearing, and Taylor rushing up, equalised matters. This was the signal for increased pace, and for some time both sets of backs were kept fully employed. Once Henderson had practically no oppositions, and shot into Menham's hands. Following this the Everton forwards held a strong position, but it could not be said that Finishing efforts were at all satisfactory. Free kicks in consequence of too vigorous play at this juncture were frequent, and from one of these Hartley lay in good position and was taking off when the referee pulled him up for offside-a decision that was much to be questioned. From the free kick the ball was returned to Smith, who put it through, and a few minutes later Bell was away with one of his characteristic runs. He succeeded in netting the ball, but unfortunately he had been interfered with in his progess, and the whistle had brown. This was distinctly unlucky for Everton, but matters turned out all right, as Hartley scored from the free kick, and at the interval the teams were on equal terms, with two goals each. Resuming play, was as keen as ever, and of the two the North End attack was better directed. Stevenson struck the bar, and shortly afterwards the ball was put through, but offside was sustained. Trainor then called upon, and clearing well, Smith made off, and centred finely, Boyle luckily being in the way of a grand shot from Pratt. Dunn was then penalised for tripping Taylor and Boyle placed the ball well up, Chadwick meeting the return, and scoring the point being received with great enthusiasm by the crowd. Having now the lead, Everton played up in a determined fashion but they were well held in check and a movement was made towards Storrier, Pratt taking the backs and custodian by surprise with a long swift shot that was splendidly directed. Getting to work again, the game lost none of its attraction, and if anything the pace was keener than during any other period. The Preston defence was superb, their clean kicking and fine tackling saving Trainor from being frequently tested. Time was drawing to a close when Henderson received the ball, and getting the better of Storrier ran almost to the line. Menham was on the near side of the net, and the outside man coolly put the ball over his head and it glided off the far upright into the net. There were now but a few minutes left for play, but it was quite evident that the home side were not capable of again drawing level, and at the close, Preston had won a magnificent game by four goals to three.



February 8 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Middleton, on a very heavy ground Everton attacked immediately, and Jenkinson was frequently called upon to save. Middleton played will, and had hard lines, Jones hitting the bar. Everton scored through Cameron. Half time Everton 1 goal, Middleton nil. On resuming play the game went very fast. Everton scored at second goal through Cameron, while the home team failed to score. Result Everton 2 goals, Middleton nil. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Meechan (p), and Barker (g), backs, Goldie (h), Meiklejohn (g), Hughes (e), halfbacks, Williams (w) Maley (w), Banks (h), Cameron (j), and Schofielsd (a), forwards. (Game 14, won 11 lost 1 draw 2 for 49, against 13, points 24)



February 8 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

After a brilliant run of successes extending over a period of two months, the defeat of Everton on their heath on Saturday must have come as a bitter disappointment to their many admires. The fixture with North End was generally looked upon as likely to furnish the tit-bit of the day's games, and in this respect popular opinion for once in a way was not belied. The perforcemences of both teams in recent matches were consistently good, and consequently there was no extraneous efforts required to stir the pulse of local supporters for the ground was comfortably packed by a most enthusiastic gathering, not a few of whom hailed from Preston. There was scarely a dull moment during the whole of the 90 minutes of play. As the game was brimful of exciting passages and clever movements, such as will stand as a record on the Everton ground at any rate for the present season. The exposition then was of the highest order in most respects, and one could not get behind the fact that the North Enders were the more accomplished team. There was a minimum of inequality displayed that stamped them as well-nigh perfect in balance, and should their work on Saturday be a specimen of what we are to expect in their remaining engagements it well be a difficult matter indeed to single out the team that can exact full points from them. They set about their work in the thoroughly business manner that made the club so famous since seasons ago, and from front to rear every player was a perfect master in his position. Unfortunately for Everton there were weal spots that ultimately proved fatal, and in this matter there was no reconciling the work of such positions with that a fortnight ago at Deepdale, in the Lancashire Cup tie. Then defence was a salient feature in the performance of Everton; on Saturday last it was quite the reverse. While North End maintained an all round even standard, Everton deteriorated sadly in the rear division, hence their defeat. Both sets of forwards gave a magnificent exposition of the game in all its variety, and it was simple astonishing how they kept up the high pace unflagged from start to finish. The short passing of the Everton forwards was most attractive to witness, and in this respect also North End found many admires. In variety of methods the visitors had a district lead, and on many occasions they were far too clever for the Everton backs, the wingmen especially being most aggressive. Storrier and Arridges bestowed too much attraction to the inside men, and it would have undoubtedly been much better for the prospect of their side had there been as wider reach between them. As it was the Preston inside men draw the Everton defence round them, while the wings had time to place themselves in good position for a wide pass, and it was by resource to these methods that they obtained the majority of their points. Henderson was the most dangerous forwards on the field, and his irresistible flashes along the wing often placed Boyle and Storrier in dire straits, to the great discomfiture of Menham, who was kept fairly bust from this quarter. At the other end of the line Smith also gave an admirable display his speed and general resource being conspicuous features throughout the game. There was a perfect understanding between Stevenson, Boyd, and Pratt, so that the work of the whole line was successful in every way. Nor were the Everton forwards one while behind in point of cleverness for they played a pretty game, and infused quite as much goaheadness in their movements as did their opponents. They had a stronger defence to contend with, and it is a questionable matter if any quintet in the country could have been as successful as they were under the exciting conditions. They were not profusely but, were never disheartened, and fought gamely to the finish. Bell again gave a sound display, and with Taylor formed the most powerful wing. Hartley improved greatly upon last week's performances, and Chadwick was concerned in almost every attack upon the Preston goal. At halfback Holt was an easy first while on the visitors side there was not much to choose between Orr, Grier, and Blythe, all of whom played a sound and steady game. It was at full back where there was the greatest disparity between the countertante. A fortnight ago against the same team, and away from home, Storrier played a magnificent game, in fact he was never seen to better advantage, but on Saturday he fell an easy victim to the incursions of the visitors left wing. There is such a thing as a player being over trained and one is inclined to accept this view in Storrier's case. Training operations had been most assiduously attended to, and it is not improbable that more than one player overstepped the mark in this respect. Arridge was not as reliable as usual and Menham although bringing off several fine saves, was twice beaten in very simple fashion. The work of Holmes and Dunn was quite in keeping with that of the other members of their side, and Trainor in goal gave an quarter to the Everton forwards, who had to find the net by none other than skilful means. The prospect of the League championship coming to Everton in now quite out of the question and their attentions should now be solely directed to their remaining Cup ties.


EVERTON 3 BURY 0 (Fac Game 26)

February 15 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met at Goodison Park, and both having undergone special preparation for the encounter, there was every indication of a good afternoon's sport. The weather, however, militated in this respect for rain fell steadily, but this did not seriously detract from the attendance, as there were quite 15,000 person. Meehan was given a trial in the home team, which otherwise was represented as usual, and on the Bury side there were changes that tended to strengthen their prospect of victory. At 3-30 the sides lined up as follows: - Everton: - Menham goal, Meechan, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Bury - Montogomery, goal, Barbour, and Darroch backs Pray, Clegg, and Ross halfbacks, Pangbourne, Dobie, Millar, Henderson, and Plant, forwards. Everton started, and for some time play was evenly contested. Eventually Holt, was at fault but Meeham headed away, and Bell raced nicely down the left, finely compelling Montogomery to step out and cleared. Getting up work again, Milward got away from Chadwick, and centred splendidly to Hartley, who was a little late in getting up but returning again, the Bury defenders were subjected to a heavy pressure. At length Millar was in possession, and tricking Holt, passed one to Pantcorne, who had a fine chance to shoot, but preferring to centre, the opportunity was lost, as Meeham was in readiness. Attacking again, downhill looked certain, as the latest recruit was at fault, but he quickly recovered himself, and kicked well down the field. Again the Bury forwards returned and a sharp scrimmage in front of Menham ended in the ball being put outside. At the other end Chadwick was busy, and twice got in shots that were slightly side of the mark. Barbour cleared strongly and Clegg supplemented with a long shot, the ball glancing off Millar's head to Menham. Then Bell raced away, and passing to Hartley, the latter shot hard in the ball rebounding from the post to Milward who lay well up, and scored after play had been in progess 23 minutes. The visitors put on big efforts to equalise but could exact little quarter from the home halves. The right wing were again in evidence and on Bell parting to Taylor the latter outpaced Ross And rounded Barbour with the result that Montgomery was beaten for the second time. Not at all disheartened, the visitors buckled to their work, and their forwards were often in good position, but they made little use of comparatively by feeble shooting. Nothing further had been scored up to half time when Everton had a lead of two goals to nil. On resuming the Bury left were dangerous but some excellent judgement on the pair of Meehan prevented them from testing Menham, and in a trice Milward get clear away, a cross pass to Taylor, who put in a magnificent shot, almost bring further downfall, as Montgomery only just reached the ball. A couple of fruitless corners followed, and then play settled down in the home half the ball being frequently in close proximity to Menham's charge. Superb defences saved Everton and on two occasions Meeham had to exert his best efforts to keep his charge clear. After a long pressure Chadwick and Milward changed the venue, and the latter centred to Hartley who drove in hard, only to find his shot charged down. A further return by the left wing troubled Darrock and on Milward sending across goal, Taylor met the ball and put it into the net. For some time play was very slow, and uninteresting, and it was not until the Bury forwards got into good position that the Everton van appeared to exert themselves. Chadwick put in a long shot, which Montgomery saved at the second attempts. Pulling themselves together, the home forwards shot repeatedly, Montgomery giving excellent display in goal. Towards the close a shot from bell struck the post, but nothing was scored, and in the end Everton won by 3 goals to nil.



February 15 1897. The Liverpool mercury

At Chester, before a good gate. In the first half, Chester more than maintained the reputation they have made in matches with the combination champions. Coventry having only to handle once in the first half, while Palmer was severely taxed. Just before the interval, Gordon scored for Chester, and early in the second half, added a scored. The remaining stages were fast and exciting, but nothing further accrued. Chester winning by 2 goals to 0. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Henderson (w), and Molyneux (g), backs, Hughes (e), Meiklejohn (g), and Robinson (j) halfbacks, Williams (w), Maley (w), Banks (h), Campbell (wc), and Elliott (J) (captain), forwards.



February 15 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, rain fell unceasingly; but this did not damp the ardour of the onlookers, who numbered about 16,000, and they had the satisfactory of witnessing a game in which there was a greater amount of skill displayed than a usually associated with the ordinary cup tie. The players at the very outset went about their work with grim earnestness and the Bury team showed every indication of running the Evertonian's a very close race. They pounced upon the ball, and rushed the play with great axidity, but they were wanting in cool judgement, when the critical moment came, and in this respect they were much inferior to their opponents. The Bury halves and backs had been playing a sound game, and it was not until 23 minutes had elsaped that a point was recorded against the custodian, and as frequently happens, a second was speedily forthcoming. Still the general run of the play, as far as possession of the ball was concerned, did not justify so wide a margin as two goals in the first half, and had the visiting forwards been at all accurate in their finishing touches there would certainly have been but little to choose between them at the end of this stage of the proceedings. The second half was almost a repetition of the first, and while Bury often got in good position by downright hard work, the Evertonians keeping their heads wonderfully well, often got away with comparative eases, and completely disorganized the visiting backs, who were fortunate in having Montgomery behind them in the best of form. In point of cleverness, there could be no question as to the superiority of the Evertonians, and as the appeared quite as fresh at the finish as when they first entered the field they should be able to survive the ordeal of coming ties. The team all round was exceptionally well balanced and a most pleasing feature was the general distribution of the work. The forwards were never flurried, and when within range lost few chances of testing Montgomery. They had nevertheless a difficult task set them to get in a parting shot, for the Bury halfbacks were in exceptionally fine form, and it was fortunate for the visitors record, that they were so strong represented in this division Hartley kept the wings well employed, and while at the forwards played well, Chadwick and Taylor carried off chief honours. The outside right seemed to revel in tussles with Ross and Barbour, and it was simply astonishing how frequently he tricked one and ran round the other, finally getting in a shot that brought forth Montgomery's best efforts to clear. Two of the goals were credited to this player, so that the Everton right wing once again kept up their reputation in that respect. In the Bury forward line there was not that concerted action which was so pronounced a feature on the Everton side, and most of their aggression was the outcome of determined rushing. There were however, occasional movements that were nicely worked out until the last stage was reached, and then a weakness was displayed that stood out in marked contrast to the final efforts of their opponents. They had excellent assistance from the halfbacks, but only Henderson, Dobie, and Pangborne did anything worthy of mention and probably had Stewart played up to his usual standard, the Bury right wing would have been although overpowered. At halfback Holt and Boyle performed with capital judgement, and the ineffectiveness of the Bury front line was in great measure due to the close attentions of the former player in the direction of Millar, who was rarely allowed much latitude. Pray, Clegg, and Rose, were a hard working trio from first to last, and it redounds greatly to their credit that the score against their side was not more pronounced. Clegg was very successful, as the Everton inside man will testify and it must have been disappointing to find his forwards, as fault after opening out comparatively easy chances to them. With regard to full back play of course great interest was centred in the League team of Meechan, the latest Scottish recruit. The game had been some time in progess before an opportunity was afforded him of showing his ability and that he was a success on the day's play was freely admitted. His style of play is vastly different from that of the general run of league backs. He tactled his men with a cool confidence that it must be confessed kept the Everton enthusiasts on tenter hooks as to the result, but he invariably came out right in the end, and coolly passed the ball to a half back with all the air of an accomplished forward. Rash kicking was not resorted to, and provided the confidence business is not overdone, for there are smarter forwards to be found outside Bury, he should prove invaluable in the club's remaining fixture. Arridge's also played a grand game, his fearless tackling speed, and clean kicking being items that characterized his play throughout the whole of the game. With the backs at their best Menham was not severely tested, but what he had to do was done well. Barbour and Darroch both played well, but the former discounted his work by bestowed too much attention to the man, and consequently he was often pulled up the referee. Montgomery had plenty of work on hand, especially in the second half, when he brought off some very clever saves, and he was unlucky with the third point scored against him, for there was some reason in his appeal for offside, as Milward certainly appeared to be before passing to Taylor, and this undoubtedly disconcerted him. Three goals to nil was a very substantial victory and argurs well for the success of the club incoming important ties and league games. The executive are bent upon bring high honour to Liverpool, and with this in view the team will undergo a course of training at Lytham.

The Everton team oppose West Bromwich Albion this afternoon at Stoney Lane, the proceeds of the gate being set apart for the benefit of the hospitals of West Bromwich. Everton are the present holders, of the trophy in connection with this competition.



February 16 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

This annual match, the proceeds of which are set apart for the benefit of the West Bromwich charities was played at Stone Lane yesterday, before a rather limited attendance. The match was the fourth of its kind, and out of the three previous contests the Everton team were twice returned victors, and consequently the club were holders of a valuable trophy and the players recipients of medals. Their prospect yesterday of repeating previous performances were none too promising, as the directors, taking into consideration the coming important cup tie, determined upon sending the combination team, which was in charge of Mr.J.Crawshaw and Mr. R. Molyneux . The Albion had several changes in their ranks, and at 3-15 the teams turned out as Follows: - Everton: - Palmer, goal, Storrier, and Barker backs, Goldie, Meiklejohn, and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams, Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Elliott (captain) forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Flavell, goal, Evans and Williams, backs, Cave, Jones, and McManus halfbacks, Dean, Flewitt, Cameron, Moore and Garfield, forwards .

The home side had the choice of ends, but if anything the Evertonians had the better of the opening exchanges, and the smart passing by both sets of forwards later on gave every indication of a capital game being in store. A free kick close in looked like early downfall for Everton, as a stiff scrimmage took place in front of Palmer, which eventually ended in Williams driving high over the bar. From the goal kick Elliott raced along the left and tested Flavell, but to no purpose. Returning again the Evertonians attack heavily, and several excellent shots were levelled at the custodian who was however well supported by Evans and Williams, Maley almost found the net from a free kick well placed by Robertson, and shortly afterwards Williams sent in a hot shot, which rebounded from the crossbar. Still keeping up a pressure, the Albion backs were kept fully employed but all the efforts of the Evertonians to open the scoring account were of no avail. A free kick eventually relieved the Albion, and their left wing were for some time particularly busy in raiding the Everton defence, Garfield had an excellent chance to defeat Balmer, but failed to utlised it, and on a further return, led by Flewitt and Dean, the ball was sent across, McManus pouncing upon it, and with a grand shot from long range putting the ball into the net, well out of the reach of Palmer. Following this success, the Albion forwards played up spiritedly, but could not again break through, and the interval arrived with the score Albion 1 goals; Everton nil. On resuming an alteration took place in the Everton forwards rank Elliott and Banks exchanged position and the result was greatly increased effectiveness in the attack of the visiting team. The Albionites were repeatedly penned, and had it not been for the magnificent defence of Williams they unquestionably must soon have equalised. He foiled their best-laid scheme, and after a prolonged period of pressure the Albion forwards broke away, and during a smart attack on Palmer's charge Storrier fisted out the ball. The referee granted a penalty kick , from which Williams score at the second attempt. Not daunted by this reverse the Everton forwards continued their onslaught on the Albion goal and eventually Robertson scored from long range with a magnificent shot. The remainder of the exchanges was in doubtedly in Everton's favour, and during one determined attack upon Flavel Banks placed the ball into the net from a free kick. The visitors strongly appealed for a goal, but the referee disallowed it, and an exceedingly equal game ended in a win for the Albion by 2 goals to 1.


February 20, 1897. Chester Observer.

There was a good gate and a better game at Tomkinon-road on Saturday, when Chester tried conclusions in a friendly with Everton Combination. The ground was sticky-an ideal condition one would think for the “Toffeyites,” but though this was the case, the play was fast all through, and of an interesting nature. At first the visitors pressed slightly but the scene of operations was then forced to the other end, where the home forwards kept the Everton backs hard at work. Bert Lipsham, who partnered his brother Harry on the left worked well, and sent in one or two shots, which, though dangerous were futile. Chester were all the while having matters mostly their own way, and had it not been for the effective, though questionable goalkeeping of Palmer they certainly would have scored. Everton than took up the attack, and Coventry was once called upon to save by handling, but otherwise he had little to do, and the pressure was again directed against the visitors, whose colours were lowered by Gordon, from a foul against Everton taken by Barker shortly after the commencement of the second half the referee Mr. Armstrong, got his head in the way of the ball, which had sped a very short distance at a terrific speed from the toe of Porter. As one diabolical punster –who was afterwards run off the field –put it, the bang and the direction of the ball made one think it was the case of an ‘Armstrong gone, “but I have much pleasure in informing my readers that the referee still remained my reader that the referee still remained on the ground in one place, although he did have rather a shocked appearance. There is no doubt about it –and I am sure Mr. Armstrong will agree with me –Porter can kick, but to proceed. Play continued fast, and Everton seemed as though they were going to reverse the order of things. Coventry, however, had no difficulty in negotiating the few shots he had to deal with, while Harry Jones and Astbury, the home backs, generally managed to strave off their opponents' attacks. A free kick was obtained by Everton in the Chester goalmouth, but the ball was got clear, and then the homesters had a look in. The ball was take from the Chester end by the left wing, whose passing was splendidly and the movement ended in Gordon again putting the sphere through. Still the homesters continued to have the best of matters, but the defensive tactics of the Evertonians presented an augmentation of the score. The Lipsham, however, had several good tries, and once Gordon had the goal at his Mercury, but as he was off-side he waited until the backs got up-and then he played of gently into the goalkeeper's hands. A few minutes later on, however, he sent in magnificent oblique shot which unfortunately struck the crossbar. So Chester won an interesting game by two goals to nothing. The combination of the Chester front rank was something like League form, an Gordon on the extreme right and :Lipsham on the left worked hard and well, the two brothers apparently understanding each other to a marked degree. The defence was also sturdy, and in fact every man who played for Chester was seen to advantage, the victory being due to the home team on their merits.



February 22 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup Semi-Final

Quite 20,000 spectators assembled on the Goodison road ground on Saturday, last to witnessed the tie between these clubs. The afternoon was delightfully fine, and with the turf in good condition, there was every prospect of a good game, especially so as both teams had during the week been undergoing careful training for the encounter. Prompt to time the sides turned out as follows : - Everton: - Menham, goal, Meechan, and Arridge, backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor Bell Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Burnley: - Tatham, goal, Reynolds, and McLintock, backs, Place sen, Longair, and Taylor, halfbacks, Toman (w), Black, Robertson, Bowes, and Place, jun, forwards . Immediately after the start, Everton were attacking strongly and Stewart was only a few inches above the mark after Chadwick had failed to get through. Then the visitors got nicely down. Toman on the right wing beating Stewart and Arridge with ease, getting in a magnificent centre, which Robertson headed to the wrong side of the post. Some splendid combination by the Everton left brought the play to the other end, but the Burnley resisted strongly. Taylor failed to take pass from Chadwick, and lost a splendid opening, and with Place jun., in possession a stout attack was levelled on the home goal. Holt saved three shots in quick succession, but the pressure was not eased until Stewart headed over the bar, the ensuing corner being of no advantage to the visitors. A slow shot from Hartley was easily negotiated, but a dropping one from Place sen., caused Menham trouble. Both sets of halfbacks were resourceful in tackling, but eventually Black had the better of Stewart and Arridge, and centring to Robertson that player scored after the game had been in progess 25 minutes. Following the reverse the Everton forwards forced the pace, and five minutes later Taylor took a pass from Milward and equalised. Passing and repassing between Stewart and Chadwick opened out another fine opportunity for Bell, who ran between the backs and added a second goal. Shortly afterwards the ball was again netted, but the whistle had gone owing to injury to Reynolds who retired for some minutes. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when Everton held a lead by 2 goals to one. On resuming Burnley pressed, but Bowes was at faulty in not utlising a pass from Robertson, and after the Everton forwards had kept up a steady pressure upon the visiting defence, Milward took a fine centre from Taylor, and headed through a collision with the custodian causing a short delay in the game. Burnley them attacked, but principally Holt pulled them up at critical moments. The pace slackened down considerably, and beyond a few individual efforts there was not much to interest the crowd. Towards the close the Burnley defenders offered very feeble resistance, and in the last few minutes Bell and Hartley both scored a rather one-sided game favoring Everton by 5 goals to 1.



February 22 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The annual match for the benefit of the West Bromwich Charities was brought off on Monday last. Owing to the exacting demands of prospective cup-ties the Everton Executive did not deem it prudent to run any risk with their League players, and consequently sent the combination team to the midlands. The second stringers gave a capital account of themselves, and indeed they were unfortunate in not at least effecting a draw, for the general play certainly merited such a result. From the front to the rear line every man gave a most creditable performance and a very gratifying feature was the magnificent display by Storrier who accounted for the Albion forwards with ease, and cleared powerfully when danger was about. The home side won by two goals to one, and they therefore dispossess the Everton Club of the valuable trophy connected with the contest.

Everton experienced little difficulty in disposing of Burnley in the semi final round of the Lancashire Senior Cup competition and the ultimate destination of the trouble seems practically assured. There was a splendid crowd to witness Saturday's encounter, but the game scarely justified the attendance for Everton were clearly masters of the situation throughout, and were never really extended. The proceedings lacked in interest on this account especially prior to the first goal being obtained by the visitors for up to this period the home players were inclined to take matters in a somewhat lackadaisical matter, and the initial success of the visitors served a useful purpose in providing a much needed stimulus to the game. When Everton put more earnestness into their efforts their superiority became immediately apparent and the score but no means over represents the actual play. It was not a great game, and the last quarter of an hour was equal to all that preceded it. The home forwards were weakened by the unsatisfactory display of Hartley in the centre, his weakness in front of goal nullifying many attractive movements in midfield. Both wings were equally clever, through Taylor' shooting was weak, but in controlling the ball they were vastly superior to their opponents, and when in possession required the full force of the Burnley defence to resist it. Bell is dangerous opponents when anywhere near goal, and some of his characteristic dashes were very effective the visitors backs repeatedly being powerless to check these advance. The halves were two good for the opposing attack, though in the second half Stewart's play considerably determined, but the visitors deprived little advantage even from this. The backs were fully equal to all demands upon them and Menham was rarely troubled. The Burnley attack was very ragged and uneven, the right wing being extremely weak, but on the left Bowes, and Place, just were more successful. There was little combination between the front tank, and they were unable to make serious headway, when in possession of the ball. The halves were a fairly successful trio, but the backs were the best part of the teams and their defence certainly proved superior to the aggressive abilities of their forwards. Tatham kept out some hot shots but might have been more successful with some of those that passed him. Everton now meet Manchester City in the final stage, and the trophy appears likely to become theirs.