November 1896


November 2 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The return engagement between these clubs was played at Goodison Park on Saturday there being about 10,000 spectators present when the teams took the field in the following order : - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Goldie, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Tennant, goal, Eccles, and Dunn, backs, Griffiths, Malpass, and Owen, halfbacks, Tonks Black, Beats, Wood, and Millers, forwards. Everton opened the play, and following some good work by Chadwick an opening was made for Taylor whose shot, however, wanted to slang. A brisk movement by Miller and Wood left a comparatively clear course for Beats who finished up with a shot that went a trifle wide. Holt and Goldie at this junction were putting in effective work, but Chadwick after twice falling sent in a magnificent shot, which Tennant only kept out by tipping over the bar. Taylor followed with a wild attempt, and at the other end Beats finished up badly after Wood had opened out an easy chance. So far Everton had most of the play but they were unsteady when in close quarters and beyond Chadwick the others were rarely dangerous in shooting. The Wolves now had a spell at attack, and their strong rushes and long kicking were often a source of trouble to Arridges and Storrier. Both men however, played with much success, and Cameron but judicious feeding to the inside men commenced a raid on the Wolves charge, only to find Dunn and Eccles most stubborn defenders. Taylor lost headway by passing too far forward in Bell but a goal looked certain at the result of a smart pass from Chadwick to Cameron when the latter shot high over the bar a feat he repeated a little later on. Arridge drove hard into the goal mount and Tennant was lucky in finally getting the ball away. Up to the interval the play was evenly divided, but all thorough this half the pace was never of a high standard and but little interest seemed to be centred in the proceedings. On resuming Everton at once opened with an attack on the Wolves goal but, as before, they found Dunn Eccles, and Tennant equal to all demands upon them. Malpass also did good work at centre half, and eventually opened out the play to Tonks after a couple of corners kicks had been safely got away. Briggs would have had no chance whatever against the shot levelled from the outside right had the elevation been true. At the other end Bell missed heading in from Milward, and Taylor, whilst a fine shot when under difficulties all but brought about downfall. A long shot from Griffiths brought Briggs to his knees and following this the home players infused at amount of dash into their play that had been wanting all through. For fully five minutes they peppered at the visitors goal, and Chadwick was most unlucky in having two of his best efforts charged down by Griffiths and Eccles. Cameron also met with no better luck and two capital attempts from Taylor merited better results. The Wolves now opened out, and gave the Everton defenders a warm time, as they sent in shots frequently and fast. One from Tonks to Wood was headed over the bar and Black sent in a beauty, which was not far wide of the mark. However, scoring was not forthcoming, and with the closing play in the Everton end, time was announced with the result a draw neither side having scored.



November 2 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The month of October has been a most disastrous for the Everton Club, for not since the defeated their neighbours the Liverpool club by two goals to one, have they succeeded in notching full points. After recent developments connected with the club one was naturally prepared, if not for something above the ordinary at any rate for the annexation of a couple of points at the expense of the Wolves, who at present occupy the unenviable bottom portion in the list. They fallen to accomplish this, and confidences in the ability of the players has consequently received a further shock. There was nothing in the shape of luck about the game that would tend to lessen the severity of failure and consequently a most appear to the ordinary observer that the team as a body is a very poor one. The early stages of play certainly pointed in the direction of victory, for the forwards worked more harmoniously together then they have done for some weeks past, and if them was any fault to be found with them at the outset, it was that they were rather inclined to give too much attention to that quarter which has been lately most neglected. The forward appeared over anxious and, as is often there can when one is eager to do something worthy of his reputation, signal failure followed. They got through a tremendous amount of hard work, but with very few exceptions, they were only moderate exponents of the nicer points of play, and particularly in finishing efforts were they most ineffectiveness. Although this department of the team did not reach a high standard, the occasion does not call for wholeside changes, which would be adopting an unreasonable as well as unnecessary course. Further trial is necessary before the line should be at all disturbed. There was unsteadiness due to over anxiety's to win, when matters calm down we may expect so good football from the present quintet, as they have displayed in their best days. Previously the spectators hope of contention was the almost absolutes neglect of the centre the players thereby numberally handicapping themselves; but on Saturday last there was no fault to find in this respect, and the work was well distributed from start to finish. There were several excellent opening made and but for the disturbing influences above mentioned they must have been put to good account. There is not sufficient attention paid to shooting, and one or two of the players are pronce to reserve their final efforts until an almost certain opening presents itself. This does not pay against a team of smart defenders, and the chances are that the side would be greatly benefited if they had more frequent recourse to shooting from long range. Summing up the forward play, there was a district advance upon that at Sheffield. Cameron had plenty of work on hand, and it was a pity he spoiled his otherwise good display by faulty shooting. Chadwick was undoubtedly the best forward, and put in some good shots, while Taylor was a consistent worker throughout, he frequently failing back when the defence was at all pressed, and giving good assistance. The halfbacks line was not as reliable as usual. The substitution of Goldie for Boyle was not a great success, and Stewart was somewhat slow. Goldie will doubtless improve, as he did most markedly after his initial; match last season. That Briggs was not frequently called upon testifies ably to the work of Storrier and Arridge through the latter player found Tonks at times more than a match, in speed. The Wolves forwards were always dangerous when in possession, and their ugly rushes often hampered the Everton defenders. Holt frequently accounted for beat, but the wing nevertheless had many chances to shine. Tonks and Black on the right put in some telling work, while Miller and wood often had the better of the tussles with Goldie. The half backs, Owen Malpass, and Griffiths fairly and themselves out for the Everton forwards, and they got through their mission with credit, while both Dunn and Eccles were always good, and their clean kicking, and general resource were the best fortunes of the day's play. Taking the game all through, it was of the tamest character, and indeed it was not until 20 minutes from full time that there was any degree of enthusiasm manifested in the proceedings. Then for about five minutes, the spectators were on the best of terms with themselves as the team was astrung to a pitch that warranted almost certain scoring, but they were doomed to disappointing, as the Wolves defended-ably, and then maintained asteady pressure up to the close of the game. One of the characteristics of the Everton team has been that they have invariably forced the pace during the closing stages of play, but in late matches this has not been the case, which appears to reflect upon training operations. Much has been written and said about the methods of selection adopted by the directions of the club. It is most absurd that the whole body of managers should be ungaged in a task that requires such delicate handling. What is necessary is a smaller selection committee, composed of gentlemen who are capable judges of the abilities of the players, and who posses a wide experience in the game, if Mr. Molyneux's serious in the direction were more fully utilised doubtless beneficial results would ensure, and we need not look far afield for confirmation of the advantage to be derived from the adoption of the system of management.


November 5, 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Yesterday, in the presence of a large assemblance, the remains of Mrs Houlding, wife of Alderman John Houlding, of Stanley House Anfield, was laid at rest in Everton Cemetery, Fazackerley. The funeral service was read by the Rev. Dr. Hyde, assisted by the Rev. F.L. Downham, and the principal mourners were Mr. John Houlding (widower), Mr. William Houlding (son), Mr. James Knowles(son-in-law), and Mr. J.J. Ramsey. A large number of beautiful wreaths were sent, among them being some from Sir George and Lady Baden-Powell, the employs of Alderman Houlding, the Everton Football Club, and the committee of the Liverpool Football club.


November 5, 1896. The Courier & Argus

Everton are still on the hunt for a back, and Mr. “Dick” Molyneux was in our midst on Saturday. It is understood that his mission was not wholly unconnected with Neil, of Wishaw. Anyway, he rarely comes to Scotland and goes back to his Everton Toffee without something big in his hands.


November 9 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Abandon League match play 56 minutes.

The first League engagement between these clubs was down for decision on Saturday at Bolton. The weather was as miserable as can be imagined, for a drizzling rain and heavy fog persuaded the town, and on arrival at the ground, there would not be more than 7,000 spectators present. Both teams were strongly represented, and at a quarter to three they lined up as follows: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Jones (captain), backs, Paton, McGreachan, and Freebairn halfbacks, Thompson, Milligan, Joyce, Wright, and Jack forwards. Cameron opened the play, and McGreachan was at once prominent in checking several dangerous movements by the Everton inside men, and eventually placed the ball well to Jack who had the better of Storrier, but shot wide of the mark. The same player, with Wright in a attendance again made off, but they became lost to view on nearing the corner flag. A corner kick had been awarded, and after Holt had cleared the whole Everton line got away nicely, and both Chadwick and Milward caused endless trouble to Somerville, and Sutcliffe, the custodian getting away, a capital centre which appeared all but corrertved. Joyce was next conspicuous with a smart run down the centre, and after forcing a fruitless corner Holt, Initiated a strong attack, and Cameron headed in to Sutcliffe, who again got the ball away in marvellous fashion. For some minutes the Everton forwards, particularly the right wing, were levelling a strong attack on the Bolton goal, and nothing but the fine defence of Somerville, Jones, and the keeper could have prevented certain downfall. Another break away by Thompson and Milligan ended in Joyce forcing the corner off Arridges, and Thonpson from close quarters sent in a terrific shot, which Briggs keep out in masterly style. Meanwhile Stewart had been successful coping with the Bolton right, and along with Chadwick and Milward kept matters lively for Paton and Somerville, but the halfback was always resourceful, and, when occasionally beaten, Somerville was always on hand with hugh kicks that covered almost half the length of the field. A few minutes later Cameron was within a few yards of Sutcliffe but the difficulty of foothold accounted for a week finish, and then Evertonians made the running for Jack, who centred nicely. Holt was fairly beaten, and Joyce, sounding Storrier, had an apparently clear course, but finished badly; and at the other end Bell lost a capital chance by kicking too far forward thus making Sutcliffe to run out and clear. Taylor next tested the custodian with the same result-a grand save, and after a hard drive from Paton had rebounded from Briggs. Milward had a fair chance, but finished wretchedly, half time being announced shortly, afterwards with the score, sheet a blank. On the teams reappearing it was questionable whether the game would be preceded with, but after a few minutes' conversation with the linemen, the referee decided to go on. Immediately on restarting the Evertonians showed towards the Bolton goal, and for some few minutes attacked most persistently. The right wing, was particularly effective, and after Bell had smartly tested Sutcliffe. Chadwick led on a further attack, which was eventually relieved on McGeanchan nipping in and putting Jack and Wright in possession. Joyce at length got in a shot at Briggs, who was however, ready for him, and following the play by the Everton backs and halves, Bell shot over. There was no prospect of the fog lifting and, if anything, even more dense than before, their being no other alteration for the referee than to abandon the game, after been in progess for 11 minutes from the resumption.



Novemeber 9 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Goodison Park, before about 1,500 spectators. At the outset the Evertonians assumed the command and before many minutes had elsaped Banks, the new centre forward, opened the scoring account. Schofield put in some clever play on the Everton left, and had his centres been ponnued upon heavy scoring must have ensued. Eventually Williams and Campbell added goals, and at the interval Everton led by 3 goals to nil. The second half consisted simply of a parade to and from the Buxton goal, and as four further goals were put through Everton won a one sided game by 7 goals to nil. Everton: - Menham goal, Gordon and Molyneus, backs, Goldie, Hughes (e), and Robertson, half backs, Williams (w) Maley (w), Banks (h), Campbell (w), and Schofield (a), forwards . (game 7, won 5 lost 0, draw 2, for 27 against 7, points 12)



November 9 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Unfortunately for the Everon club the thick fog that prevailed at Bolton on Saturday last prevented the team from registering a long waited couple of points, and following as it did upon a period of recent reverses, the feeling of disappointing was all the more keen both to the players and the enthusiastic band of loyal supporters that braved the elements and made the journey to Bolton. The ground was in a most sloppy condition in parts, and inaccuracies were consequently both frequently and ludicrous. To make matters more miserable there were occasions when the majority of the players were entirely lost to view, and even under the best conditions the movements of the players for the most part could only follow the progess of the game. Under such adverse surroundings it would be manifestly unfair to launch into individual criticism and the occasion will best be served by taking a wide and collective view. The Everton team were apparently in excellent condition, and the earnestness that they infused into their work, both individually and in combination, showed from the very outset that those late disasters are to be relegated to ancient history. Much of this welcome improvement is undoubtedly the outcome of a wise decision on the part of the managers of the club to narrow the governing circle, and call into requisition and give full command, as far as the players are connected, to their able and experienced secretary, Mr. Molyneux. After the very indifferent performance both at home and away during the month of October, that on Saturday last came as a revlation, and that the team are capable when properly under control, justifies what has been previously urged in this column. Their preparation during the work enabled them to command the pace, and their superiority was plainly evidenced after the change of ends, when the Bolton defenders had about as warm a ten minutes as they have experienced so far this season. The Everton forwards were on the heavy ground, distinctly good, and one of the most pleasing items to chronicle was the complete return to form of the right wing, who throughout the sixty minutes that play had been in progess were a source of anxietys to the home backs, for the latter were always kept extented to their best efforts. The defensive department of the team was also all that could be desired, and there is positively no reason why the club should not enter upon a long series of success. The feature of the Wanderers display was the fine work of the halfback line, and the powerful kicking of the rear guard, but there were at times some spicy bits of combination between the van that would have completely disorganished the Everton defence of a week ago. Sutcliffe was in marvellous form, and that is saying a great deal, and doubtless by, like other of the confreres, not to mention the seven or eight thousand spectators, heaved a sign of relief when the referee put an untimely end to the game. In the matter of gates, the Wanderers although they have done as well in their engagement, have had to contend with unfavorable weather conditions when playing at home, and are consequently not in as sound a financial position as they were during the corresponding period last season. There can be no doubt that had the day been fine Burnden Park would have been comfortably filled, for the Evertonians are always a powerful drawing team, and it is hoped that when Everton revisit Bolton the elements will leave no room for complaint. The teams meet again on Saturday at Goodison Park, and it is concluded without contradiction, that the play will reach a standard that should satinto the most sanguine follower of the game.

The Everton and Buxton combination teams occupied Goodison Park, and the occasion served as an introduction of two new players to the Everton ranks, viz., Banks as centre forward and Maley as inside right. Both players gave entire satisfaction, and the centre man is a likely candicate for League football. He is 5ft. 11lbs, of the build, and scales 12st. He has had an army training, and holds the distinction of having scored 43 goals out of a total of 61 for the club last season. He showed good resource on Saturday, and, in addition to scoring freely, he led up to the majority of the seven goals registered against Buxton.


Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Thursday 12 November 1896

Dr. Baxter, chairman of directors the Everton Football Club, denied the statement that Black more their late trainer, was dismissed. Giving as his reasons that private business necessitated him being away from Liverpool every Monday, and the present doings of the team not redound to his credit. He willingness give up his charge any time, the directors thought best it; should be done once.


November 12, 1896. The Courier & Argus

Everton have been successful in securing two Scottish lads who are certain to make a name for themselves across the Border. Maley, of Burnbank Swifts, and Banks of the Seaforth Highlanders, are the players captured, and both are men who will undoubtedly shine in good company. Dick Molyneux never comes to Scotland for nothing.


November 12 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The directors of the Everton Football Club have been making a clean breast of matters lately, and everything now promises to run smoothly. The changes of Trainor to the players was not a matter calculated to cause any surprise, but the news that the directors had at last prevailed upon, J.Cameon to sign a professional form was welcomed in all local circles, and there can be no question that he permanent services of the Queens Park man will tend to the Everton Club's advantage, meanwhile H.L.Mainman has been transferred to Liverpool, and D.McDonald to Leicester Fosse, both played for the combination, and never played League football.



November 16 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met at Goodison Park on Saturday, but the attendance was much below the avenge in games between these clubs, for at the start there would not be more than 8,000 present, thorough later the number was increased to about 11,000. There was two changes in the Bolton team from that which did duty at Bolton on the previous Saturday, Scott a reserve man, taking the place of Jones at full back, and Nicholl displaced Joyce in the centre, while the Everton team was unchanged. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Briggs goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Scott, backs, Paton, McGreanchan, and Freebairn, halfback, Thornson, Gilligan, Nicholl, Wright, and Jack, forwards. Everton had the assistance of a strong breeze and, on the Wanderers starting, Wright tricked Holt, and getting the better of Storrier, sent in a shot which, rebounded from the upright, and as Thomson had raced up, he met the ball, and put it altogether out of the reach of Briggs, this first point beening registered within a minute from the start. Getting to work again, the home forwards fairly got under weight, and it at once became evident that plenty of work would be found for Sutcliffe. A smart hot from Chadwick was, unfortunately for Everton, charged down, and later Taylor looked like equalising when he was pulled up for infringement of the offside rule. Jack assayed a break away, but it was short lived, through closely following, Nichol appeared to have the home goal at his mercy, when Boyle nipped in cleverly, and as a result Bell, made off, and centred beautifully. Sutcliffe only partially saved, and as Milward was well up, he equalised in easy fashion, playing having been in progess 16 minutes. The Everton team were not playing splendidly together and for some minutes shots were sent in thick and fast, but all were alike to Sutcliffe, who handled them out in most cool fashion. Nichol at length made the running, and on Stewart checking the movement, the ball went to Paton, who steadied himself, and made an excellent attempt to defeat Briggs, but to no purpose, and at the other end, both Bell and Boyle sent in clever shots, which met with a similar fate to those gone before. At length Cameron put the ball through but the goal was not allowed as offside was supported. A tussle between Holt and Wright did not meet with the approval of the referee, and from the free kick Sutcliffe was almost beaten. The Everton right then took up play, and as Scott missed his kick from Bell, Somerville was taken by surprise. Sutcliffe ran out, but missed the ball, which Chadwick easily placed into the net. His giving his side the lead. Half time was now announced, the score being Everton two goals, Bolton one. Resuming Everton played up strongly, though against the wind, and were early bust in attempting to increase their Lead. Chadwick and Bell put in good shots, which was unavailshed, and then play proceeded on even lines. Eventually the visitors made the running on the right, and for some time, Arridge was severely pressed, but his tackling was superb and kicking also effective. At length the Wanderers forced a corner and the ball curling into the goalmouth, was tipped in by Wright, and the score once again became even, a big effort was made by the Everton van to get the lead again, but Sutcliffe was not to be beaten, and how he saved his side was simply marvellous. Cameron however, appeared to have a clear course, but shot widely, and a moment later Taylor centred beautifully, and Cameron was heading in when Sutcliffe raced the length of the goal, and deftly handled the ball outside, Scott then kicked ahead, and Gilligan fastening on to the ball sped down, the centre and drove hard and low, at Briggs, who failed to get down in time, and was fairly beaten. After further pressure by Everton the Wanderers maintained a most determined attack, and twice put the ball into the net, but points were objected to on the scale of offside. A fine shot by Paton was the concluding item of the game, which resulted in favour of Bolton by three goals to two.



November 16 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

At Northwich. Everton started with the wind in their favour and Maley scored in the first few minutes after Bradshaw had narrowly missed for the home side. Everton added a second, and led at half time by 2 goals to nil. In the second half, Banks scored with a long shot, and Williams scored a fourth from a penalty kick, . Northwich them obtained the first point. Banks and Williams scored further goals, and Everton winning by 6 goals to 1. Everton: - Menham, goal, Balmer (r), and Molyneux (g), back, Goldie (h), Hughes (c), and Robertson (j), halfbacks, Williams (w) Maley (w), =Banks (h), Campbell (w), and Schofield (a), forwards. (Game 8 won 6 lost 0, draw 2, for 33, against 8, points 14)



November 16 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

During the past week there were few local followers of Association football to be found that were not prepared for in improved state of affairs at Goodison Park as the result of the meeting between Everton and Bolton Wanderers. that this was not realised must have come as a big surprise to those who were not present at the game, but throw who did give their support could not but symptom with the Everton played, who got their very best efforts forwards, and succeded in all quarters but one. In the majority of movement they held more than a slight lead, and the finishing efforts of the forwards stood out in marked contrast to those of precious display this season. It was quite refreshing to see the van so keen on the Ball, and to find them taking advantage of almost every opening towards the net, and that they did not succeed in finishing up with a substantial score to their credit was directly due to magnificent goalkeeping by Sutcliffe who has probably never given such a masterly display as he did on Saturday last. He had every variety of shot to centred with, and had frequently to run from one post to the other to bring off a save from close quarters that the majority of custodian would never have attempted to keep out. The most layal Evertonians could not help, but admire the clean manner in which the ex-Rugbeian got through his ardious duties between the upright, and there could be no question that had there been a change of custodians the Everton team would have signaled their return to form in a most pronounced fashion. Briggs paled lamgotable comparison with his vis-a-vis. He was apparently umperved at the very outset, when a goal was scored against him in the first minute, and though he was not often tested afterwards there was always a degree of uncertainly about him that presaged downfall whenever the ball came his way. The first and third Bolton goals were comparative gifts, for under ordinary circumstances, through Storrier was a bit slow in the first instance, Briggs should have followed up the rebound from the upright, and never have allowed Thomson to so early open the scoring account, while the third was directed straight to him from a fairly long range, and should certainly have been kept out. It must have been positively galling to the other members of the team to find themselves in arrears after monoplising the bulk of the play, but at the same time they congratulate themselves in getting two past Sutcliffe, who on Saturday gave one an of pression of his being able to play a whole game himself. The Wanderers have, by their visit to Liverpool, netted four points, and are once again at the head of affairs, a position, which they undoubtedly owe to prowess in custodianship. Coming to the players, and dealing first with the Everton forwards, one was struck throughout the whole proceedings with the earnest and withal clever display of the quintet, who got into an excellent stride at the very outset, and played all though like a winning team. Cameron put in some very fine work in the way of keeping the wings well together and employed, but unfortunately he was not to successful in final efforts, and how he failed on one occasion just before the change of ends was most unaccountable. The inside men, Chadwick especially, were commenced in almost every attack on the Bolton goal, and rarely indeed was an indifferent shot sent in. the work of Milward and Chadwick recalled that the brighter days and considering the fact that they had to contend with and strongest part of the Bolton defence they frequently made their way through. Taylor also played a most successful game, and was never slow to assist the halves when they were at all hampered. The whole line played splendidly together and under ordinary conditions goals must have been plentiful. At half back, too Stewart, Holt, and Boyle maintained a high standard both in tackling and placing the ball to their forwards, who were always keep busily employed. No great fault could be found with either Storrier and Arrridge, who especially in the second half, when the visitors had the wind in their favour, was often, called upon, and cleared with effect. Arridge repeatedly checkmated the opposing wing by very fine tackling, and almost invariably got the ball, while his partner was always in the thick of heavy work, and is showing district signs of improving. The Bolton forwards were not so well balanced, as the opposing line. The ubiquitous Holt, and flashes along the wing were the most falling points of their display. The speed of Jack more than once let the Everton backs in dire straits, but they rarely allowed the attack to get in troublesome shots. Nichol was a fairly good centre and Thomson and Gilligan were always about when danger threatened, while whatever excellent work was done by Wright in conjunction with Jack, was greatly discounted by the irregular methods adopted by the former who more than once came under the ban of the referee. McGreanchan at half back found plenty of work for those in front, which was not often turned to good account, and both Freebairn and Paton attended the Everton wings with good success. Jones was absent from the rare rank owing to having a sprainted wrist, but his position was well filled by Scott, who when hard pressed had admirable assistance from Somerville. Owing to the fine form of Sutcliffe, this pair was enabled to play with a greater degree of confidence than the home backs, and generally speaking, they put through their work in most creditable fashion. Taking the play all through Everton deserved full points and if their maintain their vastly improved form they should enter upon their replay game against Bolton with little trepidation, for it is scarely to be expected that their keeper will prove so easy a victim as on Saturday last, not to mention the improbability of Sutcliffe eclipsing his fastest performances.



November 17 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

It is announced that the Everton directors have succeeded a engaging William Henderson the right full back of Broxburn athletic, who has yielded to substantial inducements offered to him by the club, and has just signed a league and an association forms for Everton football club. Henderson comes to Liverpool with a splendid reputation, and more than one leading Scottish organisation has been angling after him. He is a finely-built fellow about 5ft 9ins only 18 years of age and weights 12 stone


November 19, 1896. The Courier & Argus

Cameron, about whom the Queen's Park were making all the fuss, has just signed a professional form for Everton. Cameron was much talked about as the centre for Scotland last year, and a vast amount was always heard about his Liverpool brilliancy. He was a member of the leaders of Scottish amateurism, and the Hampden officials frequently endeavoured to get him to play for them in their more important ties. Everton are in a big plight with their players. They are transferring all and sundry, and signing on anyone they can lay their hands upon. They must be paying away quite a small fortune in commission to the dreaded football agent.


Still another of our lads away. The latest desertion is Henderson, of the Broxburn Athletic, Everton being one club which signed him on. The player is quite young only eighteen years of age, stands 5 feet 9 inches and weighs over 12 stone



November 21, 1896. The Wrexham Advertiser.

At Northwich, on Saturday. Everton opened well, Maley scoring two minutes from the commencement. The visitors led by two goals to none at the interval. Resuming, Banks added a third. Williams scored from a penalty, and Wilding gained a point for the Victorians. Williams, before the close added another goal for Everton, who won by five to one.


Novemeber 23 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Alfred Milward Sent off during second half.

The return League encounter between these two local rivals was played at Anfield on Saturday, in the presence of over 25,000 spectators. From an easy hour the crowd pounced into the enclosure, and the weary of waiting were beguiled by the strain of Messrs Hignett Bros and Co's band. There was one alteration in each team, Menham and Geary substituting Briggs and Ross respectively, who were suffering from Judisposition. When Mr.John Lewis had arranged the usual preliminaries the players were found to be as follows: - Liverpool: - Storer, goal, Goldie, and Wilkes, backs, McCartney, Niiell, and Holmes, halfbacks, Geary (f) McVean Allan, Michael, and Bradshaw, forward. Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle Holt and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron Chadwick, and Milward, forwards, Stewart won the toss, and took advantage of the wind, which was blowing from goal to goal. The opening stages of the game were in favour of Liverpool, and after Michael had raced down, Allan put in an overhead kick, which just missed its object. The home team continuing to play strongly, subjected the Everton goal to a heavy siege, and Allan shot over from Bradshaw's corner kick whilst a moment later Niells headed wide. Everton, however, then took up the running, and the left wing cantered down the field, Milward sending in lighting shot which went wide on the goal. Then from a free kick Holmes struck the post with a fast shot; but Everton asserted themselves in unmarkable style, and for some time confined play in the home territory. Fouls were of frequent occurrence, and after Storer had run out to clear from Taylor, Bradshaw raced down, only to be bowled over by Storrier when dangerous near Menham, and again getting well away, was floored a second time, when just about to shoot. Everton again had a turn, and Cameron missed a grand chance in front of Storer, whilst a foul against Bradshaw was with difficulty cleared. Goldie cleverly repelled another shot by Cameron, after Storer had previously cleared from Bell and Everton were now going very strong. A fine sequence of cross passing led to Chadwick shooting yards over the bar, and at length Liverpool got into their opponents territory again. From a smart run by Michael, Allen obtained, and sent a hot one straight to Memham, and the clever run by Geary was terminated by a clever centre, which was almost turned to account by Michael. Another smart movement by Geary gave Bradshaw and Michael a fine chance of opening the scoring, but Both unaccountably missed the corner's centre and, after Everton had again forced a fruitless corner, half time arrived with the score sheet blank. Immediately on restarting Geary and McVean were busy, but offside spoilt the efforts, and following this, the Everton left wing got clear away, and Storer was again nearly defeated by running out to clear. Wilkie finally throught relief by a strong kicks, and the home right bearing Arridge caused Menham some difficulty in clearing. Then Everton again forced the play, and Storer had a particularly lively time. He saved grandly from Chadwick and Taylor, and also from a scramble in the goalmouth, and in the general melee Milward charged McCartney in such a style as to warrant the referee in ordering him of the field . This left Everton with only four forwards, but they more then held their own for the remainder of the game. A strong work by Liverpool resulted in first Allan and then McVeanand Bradshaw shooting over the bar, and had the home front shown any ability they must have scored at this juncture. A fine bit of play on the Everton left ended in Stewart testing Storer with a stinger, but the game had now showed down considerably and the final efforts of both sides were extremely feeble. The Everton halves were up repeatedly prominent in checking the home attack and midfield play predominated. Eventually Geary tested Arridge, and sent in a grand centre, which was not utilised McVean missing a glorious chance of scoring. A breakaway by Bell led to Storer having to save a difficult shot from the inside man, but the venue was quickly changed and Menham saved a hard return by McCartney, and this was followed by Allan just missing a score. A couple of unsuccessful corners fell to Liverpool, who were having a greater share of the game but there could not pierce the defence. This was the last action of the game, and the contested finish even with no goals having taken place.



November 23 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met at Goodison Park on Saturday. The visitors had the better of the opening play, but eventually the home forwards put on pressure, and Barrington, the visiting custodian, was severely pressed, and on the whole cleared in able fashion. Unproductive corners followed and a further movement in the direction of the Macclesfield goal left Maley in final possession, and Barrington was beaten after play had been in progess half an hour. getting to work again, the visitors looked like making an impression upon the home defence, but they fell further in arrear, on Banks beating their keeper with a capital shot. Play in the second half was of a more even character, and Potter scored for the visitors, the final result beening Everton 2 goals, Macclesfield 1. Everton: - Briggs, goal, Gordon, and Barker (g) backs, Goldie (h), Hughie (e), and Robertson (j), halfbacks, Williams (w), Maley (w), Banks (h), Campbell (wc) and Elliott (J) (captain), forwards . (game 9 won 7 lost 0, draw 2, for 35, against 0, points 16)



November 23 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League encounter between Everton and Liverpool formished the ‘'piece do resistance'' in local football circles on Saturday, and the intention feeling which has generated the supporters of both organistaion since the tremendous game at Goodison Park a month ago was furnished with a unitable opportunity for exhibition. Since that occasion the doings of the two teams have been in strong contrast to each other, the Evertoninas having bagged in the meantime, but one point, whilst the great rivals have been simple reselling in progess and points have accrued with startling celerity. Nevertheless, facts of this nature are of little utility in gauging the respective chances of two teams between whom there is great local rivalry, and the presence of an intensified excitement perculiarte to games of the nature plays a prominent part in the ultimate issue. This particular feature was greatly in evidence at Anfield, and many a cool headed artist exhibited tactics of a character altogether different from his customary capability, and general demeanor. The vast assembling imbued with the mercury of the first meeting of the clubs, naturally anticipated a second equally clever exhibition, and a further opportunity of forming a capable comparison of the real merited of the two sets of players, whilst the supporters of the ‘'scarlet runners'' expected the customary couple of points, and the adherents of the ‘'blues'' a welcome break in the monotonous run of ill success which has lately affected their team. Whatever surmising had been indulged in prior to the game, it can be safely asserted that no one of them received substantiation, and the individual who derived any satisfaction from the game must have been imbued with the concentrated easence of the spirit of a Mark Tapley. The game, in its attenuated state, and divested of all exceptional attendant circumstances, must be classed as one utterly unworthy of the best traditions of both organisations and for this unsatisfactory termination both clubs must be debited with equal culpability. The play never rose above the standard of mediocrity. Combination and methodical movements were sacrificed to the all-pervading excitement, and in their place tactics, which savoured more of a muscular than a skilful nature, were substituted, to the consequent derteribration of the game. Those who fervently availed a second edition of the sample of brilliant exhibited in the first meeting of the clubs must now look upon that encounter as a fitful gleam of brightness arousing hopes which flattered, but to deceive, and the unsatisfactory conclusion must be arrived at that in gams of this nature, football ranks, but as a secondary consideration. Whilst making due allowances for the exceptional circumstances under which the game was fought, still what is desired by spectators is to class of game devoid of many of the untoward incidents, which occurred and which need never have been witnessed. The play alternated in striking fashion, the balance learning slightly in favour of one team, to be quickly followed by an inclination in the opposite direction, though at no time was a distinct superiority shown by either side. The first quarter of the initial half saw Liverpool, busy Everton responding with the aid of the wind, with a longer period of attack, but this efforts of both sides to score were extremely feebie, and the players seemed to be aiming everywhere but in the direction of the net. On the whole however, Everton were the more dangerous, but the home backs rarely allowed Storer to be beset, and their display throughout was one of the brightness feature of the game. Liverpool front rank were not allowed to get their usual mechanism into working order, and Holt stuck to Allan closer than a brother. The second half was marred by an unfortunate centretenaps whick led to Milward receiving marching orders and it is evident that football amenities are well understood by Referee Lewis, who fortunately allowed no license in this respect. From this point the game waned in interest and quality, though to the credit of the Evertonians be it said, that they made their presence felt to an even greater extent with their weakened van than might have been naturally expected. At the same time, Liverpool failed to utilise the numerous opportunities which fell to their lot, and golden chances of securing a substantial score were allowed to glide away in curtrous fashion-curious when compared with their recent doings. They often worked the ball well up into dangerous quarters, but the final touches were sadly wanting in precesion and dexterity and few shots required the interference of Menham. The result-a goalless draw-was thus a fitting termination to a game in which merit and demerit were about equally apportioned. Coming to the players, the backs on both sides deserves special mention for their work, and little fault could be found with this portion of the two teams. Neither of the goalkeepers was overburdened with work but of the two Storer had more to do, and the shots he had to negotiate were of a more difficult nature than these, which fell to the lot of his vis-à-vis. It was somewhat usnsual to see him rushing out of goal in such a risky fashion, and on one occasion theirs nearly occasioned the downfall of his charge. Otherwise he saved well, and his method of banging the ball at Taylor's heed and thus forcing the sphere behind the goal line, was as novel as it proved effective Menham made a most successful appearance, and he saved cleanly-with one exception-and judiciously but as a matter of fact he was not subjected to a test of more than moderate severity. The home backs were in splendid form, and their clean kicking, and effective all round work placed them ahead of those on the opposing side. One clearance of Goldie's under the bar in the first half was a wonderful performance, and certainly saved his goal from downfall. On the Everton side Arridge gave a sound display, his kicking being strong and judicious, and Storrier though not so showy as his partner, was equally reliable. The halves were equally matched, and Holt and Niiell on their respective sides ran each other closely for premier honours. The young Liverpoolians was always in the thick of the fray, and he never seemed to lose his head even in the most exciting moments. Holt was a more startling block to Allan, and the little man gave one of his best display. The others were little behinds in ability, and the exhibition of both sets of halves was one of the chief tamed of the game, though the Liverpool trio were more aggressive than their opponents. The forward must be written down as comparative failures. Aimless kicking and want of methodical combination were their great failings, and these combined with feeble shooting, accounts for the ultimate result. The bulk of the play was monopolished by the respective left wings, and this was more pronounced on the Liverpool side than on the opposing one. Cameron made a capable centre, but Allan was rather slow in his movements, though possibly be increased the inspiriting influence of captain Ross. Of the two sets of forwards, Everton can lay claim to superior prowess, and even their four were more than a match for the Liverpool five. Bradshaw and Geary were most prominent for the home side, and the latter might certainly have been afforded more opportunities of erracting his abilities. There was little to choose between the Everton forwards, and their efforts were of a more finished character than those of the home side. One result of the match is that Everton can claim three points out of Liverpool in this season's League engagements, and these slots should excite a certain amount of gratification.



November 27, 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

A Surprise for Saturday Next

For their match on Saturday Everton have arranged a big surprise for their supporters. Patrick, the goalkeeper of Paisley St. Mirren, who signed a League form for Everton a couple of seasons ago, has been prevailed upon to visit Liverpool, and will appear between the sticks against Burnley on Saturday next. He is in splendid form just now, and is looked upon as the only man who can expect with confidence his England cap this season. He is a fine big fellow of athletic build, and should he play in the usual form he will please the Goodison Park supporters. He will no doubt be found plenty of work, as Burnley, no matter how badly they may be doing elsewhere, always manage to come up to the scratch when they visit Everton, and occasionally annex points. Whether they will do so on Saturday remains to be seen.

EVERTON 6 BURNLEY 0 (Game 224)

November 30 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met at Goodison Park on Saturday, before about 10,000 spectators. Everton included their new custodian Patrick, of Pasiley St.Mirren's and the Burnley team underwent two changes in the forward line, Brown and Davidson being drawn in from the reserve team. The sides were as follow: - Everton: - Patrick, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burnley: - Tatham, goal, Reynolds, and McLintock, backs, Place sen, Hill, and Taylor, halfbacks, Davidson, Brown, Robertson, Boews, and Place jun, forwards. Everton had the assistance of a strong cross wind, and had much the better of opening play during which Holt gave Milward two fine passes, which almost brought about a downfall, Robertson got away, but Holt was badly fouled, and from the free kick, which was well placed by Storrier, Cameron met a return from Tatham and headed into the net, play having been in progess but for four minutes. Getting to work again Taylor raced strongly down, and got in a capital shot under difficulties. Tatham cleared following which the home left monopolised the play, for some time, and a quick succession of shots were levelled at the Burnley custodian by Chadwick and Milward, all being dealt with in masterly fashion. All efforts of the Burnley forwards to break away were frustrated by the home halves, who were most conspicuous, both in this respect and in finding opportunities for their forwards to get in parting shots. Three corners followed quickly, but to no purpose, and then the Burnley left got well down, and Bowes sent in a shot to Patrick, which was not too ably cleared. Returning again, Chadwick defeated Tatham, who completely misjudged the shot, this being after 25 minutes play, and five minutes later Cameron added a third. Burnley then looked like opening their account, but the opposing backs were resolute, and up to half time nothing further was scored, Everton then leading by 3 goals to nil. On resuming some delay was caused owing, to an accident to Holt, but on resuming the Everton forwards took up the play strongly, and following some skirmishing in the Burnley half, Chadwick passed out to Milward, who with a magnificent shot registered the fourth goal. Play had scarely been resumed when Cameron again drove into the net, but the point was not allowed, and a free kick for Burnley within the Everton 12 yards line looked like the visitors reducing the margin. However, Milward easily accounted for it, and once again the Burnley defenders were subjected to a heavy pressure. Reynolds, who came into collision with Chadwick, received a cut on the forehead, and retired and almost immediately afterwards Bell scored a fifth goal, and Cameron brought up the half dozen with a raising shot that struck the under portion of the bar, and passed into the net. Burnley then played up to more advantage, and were often in good positions, but failed to score, and Everton won a one sided game by 6 goals to nil.



November 28 1896.

At Garston. Considerable interest was maulisted in this fixture, and a larger crowd witnessed the game. Everton won the toss, and with the aid of the wind held a good advantage though the home forwards were very conspicuous at times with some neat work. Everton scored by Banks, and continuing to have the best of the game tested the home defence severely. From a penalty the visitors obtained their second point, and at half time the score was 2 goals to nil in favour of Everton. In the second portion the home team held the advantage, and scored twice, whilst their opponents obtained one point, and the final result was 3 goals to 2 in favour of Everton. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Henderson (w), and McDonnell, backs, Nash, Hughes (e), and Robertson (j), halfbacks, Balmer (j), Maley (w), Banks (h) Campbell (wc), and Elliott (J) (captain), forwards.



November 30 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team by their magnificent display on Saturday, must have completely restored confidence among, their many lately disappointed supporters, and now that the club has got on the right side at last, it is not top much to hope for an unbroken series of victories for some time to come. One could not imagine any team in the League taking even one point out of the Evertonians on Saturday, so speedy, resourceful, and withal accurate were they in every movement. Training operations had evidently been well attended to during the week, and it was at once evident when the ball was set in motion that the Burnley team would have an arduous task at hand. Still, there has always been an air of uncertainty about the game with the Turf Moor people, and doubtless it will be remembered that they were the team that checked the victorious run of Everton last season. There was to be nothing left to chance, and for once in a way Everton were enabled to score in the first five minutes. Afterwards with the exception of a few minutes towards the close, they rarely looked behind them. Nothing could have been more pleasing to followers of the club to noticed the all round excellent and well distributed work of the team, and if this form is to be maintained, lost ground will soon be recovered. The forwards in particular played an exceptionally fine game, their passing being timely and accurate, while their shooting was invariably true. Most of the finishing touches came from the left wing, and it was quite a treat to note the combination between Chadwick and Milward with Stewart in the rear. Triangular passing between this trio often extricated them from many a difficulty and at other times so completely bewildered the Burnley defence that it was only to be expected that Tatham would have a most busy time. Burnley's forward play only occasionally reached the average, and the alteration in the right wing did not appear to benefit the general body much. They rarely got under weigh, for they could make but little progess against the Everton half backs, who maintained a solid line throughout. With the van easily beaten the ineffectiveness of the halfbacks in the later stages is easily accounted for. Back play compared more favourably, in spite of the heavy scoring, and where one custodian was repeatedly tested the position of the other was quite a aimscare. Coming to the Everton players, and dealing with the individually they, for the first time this season, gave a real representation of the ability. Cameron in the centre panned out the work to the right and left of him in skilful fashion. Certainly a halfback of the calibre of a Holt did not oppose him, but still he was full of resources, and it is doubtful if many halves would have had much the better of him on Saturday. Three out of the six goals scored were credited to him, viz, the first, third and sixth; and the first obtained after four minutes play, was the result of splendid judgement in heading between opponents from a low position. Combination with the inside men was a treat, and Chadwick was a host in himself, especially in the first portion, when the crowd were fairly delighted with the manner in which, he maneuvered the ball, to the complete discomfiture of Place, sen and Reynolds. In conjunction with Milward the left wing, was the great source of trouble to the Burnley defence, and almost without exception, for scoring smarted from this particular quarter. Milward's work was excellent, and it will be a thousand pities of the club are to temporarily lose his services at a time when they are raising their hands out of their recent difficulties. Bell was not mearly so prominent as his conferes, and though Taylor was the only forward that failed to score his display was nevertheless little behind the rest, in point of excellence. With regard to the halfbacks, nothing but praise can be showered upon them. Holt was in capital trim for breaking up the Burnley attempts at combination, and he has perhaps never been successful in this particular bratch throughout the whole of a game. When in straits Stewart was always at hand to take a pass with all the air of an accomplished forward, and there can be no doubt that the heavy scoring was greatly due to his cool headedness and accurate placing to his forwards. Boyle had a smart wing to contend with and was generally equal to demands he being especially useful when the Burnley forwards were anywhere near goal. Arridge followed up his display of the previous Saturday by again giving a capital exhibition, and Storrier's part in the proceedings was not a small one by any means. He kicked powerfully, and tackled well, and on the season's work so far he is the most improved player in the team. With regard to Patrick, the latest importation, but little could be gleaned of his true merits. He was only once seriously tested, so that it would be premature to express any opinion concerning his capabilities. From what was seen, he appears to possess the essential qualificates for the post, and the spectators were pleased with the cool manner in which he negotiated whatever came his way. The Burnley team calls for little comment, as they never got into thorough working order. It was not until the closing stages that they were at all dangerous, and even then their attacks were short lived. The forwards were ragged in the extreme, and it was only on odd occasions that Place, jun., and Bowes did anything worthy of the club. At halfback Hill put in a lot of work, but he was often to be seen among the forwards, with the result that Cameron had many openings to get away. Place sen, and Taylor were overran and the same remark applies to Reynolds and McTintock, though under the heavy pressure neither could be blamed for the score against them. It was unfortunate for the club that Reynolds had to retire after the fourth goal was scored, as almost immediately following his withdrawal two further points was record.